World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 10:08 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR

Go down

Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR Empty Re: Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR

Post  Admin Sun 27 Jun 2010, 11:57 am

Today's Devotional:
This is the conclusion of the mini-series, FREEDOM FROM FEAR. If you have missed any of these lessons, they are published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder7/freedom_from_fear.htm
FREEDOM FROM FEAR: Conclusion
The Thermal Fields

There is an interesting crater found at the Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland near Rotorua, New Zealand. A short walk takes you around a beautiful thermal field, where mud springs, sulfur, and piping hot waters abound. The acidic nature of the waters does not allow for much plant or animal life. Nonetheless, the hot springs serve as the home for special varieties of plankton and algae. Birds avoid the area, for obvious reasons! With bubbling mud splashing up, sometimes a few feet into the air, and vapor vents and unpredictable geysers, it wouldn't be the safest place for our airborne companions!
There is one exception to the "birdless" status of the thermal field, however. It is a deep crater known as "Bird's Nest Crater". If you look down to the bottom of the crater, all you will see is steam and bubbling waters. But little holes line the walls of this deep crater, and Starlings and Mynahs build their nests in these holes. Here they lay their eggs, and the heat from the hot spring below incubates them.
A few miles away from Wai-O-Tapu lies the city of Rotorua. Here you will find an interesting park at the centre, one that is dominated by mud springs, bubbling hot springs, and the occasional geyser. Though I have been unable to verify the authenticity of the following story, we were told that houses used to stand in this park. The buildings were supposedly moved, however, when the occupants of the area began experiencing hot springs bubbling up in their back yards. Just across the road from the park, and up on a small hill stands the Rotorua hospital. The view from the windows of this hospital looks out over this beautiful geothermal field.
Not too far from Rotorua, off the eastern coast of New Zealand's north island, lies an active volcano known as White Island. Off to one side of volcano's crater lies a lake of chartreuse green waters. We were told that the waters were deadly for several reasons. First of all, they contained a high level of arsenic. Secondly, the temperatures reach about 50°C. Thirdly, with a pH of 1, the lake water is extremely acidic. Finally, we were told by our guide that if the lake water ever came into contact with the sea water that surrounds the island, it would result in an explosion. Despite the obvious dangers, not too far from the shores of this deadly body of water lie the remnants of a sulfur mine. Apparently, mining sulfur from White Island was once a lucrative business!
What do these three stories have in common? Just this: The Starlings and the Mynah birds have found a way to put the sulfuric vapors of the Bird's Nest Crater to good use. In the same way, the city of Rotorua has put the geothermal fields of their downtown region, the ones that we were told were responsible for the relocation of home, to good use. It now serves a city park, and a beautiful view for the Rotorua hospital. And finally, someone saw the potential for a money-making venture on the shores of a deadly lake in an active volcano!
It reminds me of a couple of my favorite Bible texts: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Rom 8:28 NIV); and "I have seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." (Eccl 3:10-12 NIV)
But wait a minute. What does all of this have to do with freedom from fear?
Just this: When we take a stand in faith, when we stop letting our fear dominate us, the very things we were afraid of can be turned into something beautiful, something useful, something of infinite value. Friends, every bad circumstance can be turned into something useful and beautiful! Our job is to simply put our trust in God, to keep our eyes fixed upon Him rather than on the looming circumstances, and then to allow Him to show us how He is using the bad situation for something good!
Freedom from fear, friends, boils down to faith! Faith in the One who will never let you down. Faith in the One who loves you beyond imagination! Faith in the One who can and will make everything beautiful, in His time, who will work all things for the good of those He loves-YOU AND ME!
So why hold on to our fear? Instead, let's start exercising our faith-today! Start with that little nagging worry on the back of your mind! Yes, that little one! Give it to Him! Claim His promises that He will provide all your needs, that He will turn everything beautiful, in His time, then sit back, and have fun watching how it will all unfold!
This is the final devotional in the series, "FREEDOM FROM FEAR". If you have missed any of the devotionals in this series, go to www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder7/freedom_from_fear.htm .
May God bless each of you abundantly as you allow Him to work freedom from fear into your lives!
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org , with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org .
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 20 Jun 2010, 11:17 am

FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 10:
If Faith is the Solution to Fear, Where does Faith Come From? Part B

"For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith." (Rom 12:3-4 NASU)

Last week in FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 9, we learned that we are all born with a measure of faith, but just like a muscle, it must be exercised and developed. The proper prayer is not, "God, give me faith!" He's already done that. The proper prayer is, "God, please help me to exercise my faith so that it can grow!"
But how do we go about growing that faith?
When I want to develop a muscle, I need to exercise it. Take, for instance, the muscles of my upper arms (which ARE really as spindly as described in last week's devotional!). In order to develop these muscles, I must surround myself with ways to exercise them, and I need to do it on a semi-daily basis.
So let's say I join a local club, and I decide to go in 4 times a week, specifically to work my biceps and triceps. When I first arrive, I would be crazy to try and bench press 50 pounds, and likely, even 20 pounds! (Yes, they really are THAT weak!) What I should do instead, is begin to work with 2 pounds, and when my muscles accustom themselves to these tiny weights, I'll move up to 5 pounds, etc.
In addition to their exercise at the club, I will also try to find other ways during the week to exercise these growing muscles. For example, I must not avoid riding that mare I mentioned last week who didn't come equipped with brakes. The more I continue to ride her, the more my muscles will grow!
In a similar fashion, I cannot expect my faith to be strong enough to stand up to the huge trials of life if I don't make it a habit of exercising it with the tiny, everyday things. Take time management, for example. I struggle with not having enough time, and there isn't much that can stress me out more than putting something new on my already overflowing plate. I mean, there ARE only 24 hours in a day, and I DO need to sleep at least a few of those! One way to exercise my faith with my 2 and 5 pound weights is to begin with putting my time in God's hands: "Lord, you know I don't have the time to drive these kids to school, but they missed their bus, so I put my time in your hands! Thank you for providing the time I need!" And then, the moment the worry about time begins to creep back in (and it will!), I need to give it immediately back to God.
The little things look different for different people. Some worry about getting sick. Some worry about whether their spouse or kids will come home safely. Some worry about being robbed. All of these things are little 2 and 5 pound weights! The idea is, identify what you are worried about, especially the tiny things, and begin growing your faith by putting these things in God's hands. And then by putting them back in God's hands the moment the worry begins to creep back in!
When we exercise our faith daily in the little things, it will grow stronger, until it is strong enough to stand up to the big problems that WILL arise! But we must start small!
Remember, we can't just beg God to give us faith. He's already done that. Our job is to exercise it in all of the little daily things we do.
There's one other thing I've learned from riding this brake-less mare. I've learned that the more uptight I am, the less likely I will ever be that she will respond to my tiny tugs on the reins. I've learned that if I can just sit back and relax, she will be much more likely to come back under control. But even if she doesn't, I've learned that I won't fall off! The worst that can happen is that I sit back and enjoy a very exciting ride!
It is the same when we rest in Jesus. The more worried we are and the more we demand help, the less likely we will be to hear His voice of comfort and strength. But when we learn to trust that no matter how wild the ride, we are always safe in His arms, then we can relax and enjoy the excitement of the ride.
Remember friends, we are all given an element of faith. It is our job to practice growing that faith on a daily basis. Only when we do will we be able to stand up to the tests of life. Why not start today?
Join us next Saturday for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, The Conclusion.
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 13 Jun 2010, 12:27 pm

FREEDOM FROM FEAR PART 9:
If Faith is the Solution to Fear, Where does Faith Come From? Part A

So far in this series, we have learned that Faith is the solution to fear. But where does this faith come from?
Most of you will likely have already answered that question in your heads. You are thinking, "Why Faith, like all good things, is a gift of God! It comes from Him!"
And you are right. But why is it that so many times we cry out to God and ask Him for faith, and nothing seems to happen?
I have this little default with my body. Anyone who looks at me, especially in the summer when we're wearing short sleeves, will see it immediately: My upper arms are spindly. They look like pencils. Literally.
So what does this have to do with faith?
Just bear with me.
As many of you know, I am an avid rider. Though I'm not overly good at it, horseback riding is one of my favourite pastimes.
Now there is a certain mare that I ride. She's a great horse, but she has this one little fault: She didn't come equipped with brakes. If she's got her mind set on something, I'm certainly not going to be able to stop her! Every time I ride her, I spend the next 3-4 days with aching upper arms from my fruitless efforts to curb her independence.
There are times when this particular mare just decides to take off. Run away, if you wish, only usually she is in the confines of an arena. I've ridden her through several of these little stubborn moments, and I remember crying out to God time and time again, "Please God, make this mare stop!"
His response? "Oh ye of little biceps and triceps!"
And He is right. I don't have the physical strength to stop that mare. I can't pull as hard on her mouth as she needs in order to be curbed.
But is God saying I don't have biceps or triceps?
Not at all. I was born with a complete complement of muscles, including the ones that form my pencil-thin upper arms. What He is saying, is that I've never taken the time or effort to develop the all-important musculature required for stopping a brake-less mare!
Faith is like my upper arms. We are all born with the capacity for it: "… as God has allotted to each a measure of faith." (Rom 12:3b NASU) Just like I was born with biceps and triceps, I was also born with a measure of faith. But if I neglect my faith as I have neglected my upper arms, then I cannot expect for my faith to be strong enough to stand the tests of life.
After coming down off the Mount of Transfiguration, Jesus was confronted by a desperate father: "'Lord, have mercy on my son,' he said. 'He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.'" (Matt 17:15-16 NIV)
When the disciples later asked Jesus why they hadn't been able to cast out the demon, His reply was: "Because you have so little faith" (Matt 17:20 NIV). Notice that Jesus didn't say, "Because you have NO faith …" He said, "Because you have so LITTLE faith"!
You see, faith is like a muscle. It becomes strong with exercise! When we cry out to God to give us faith, His answer is simple: You already have faith! You only need to strengthen it! So the proper prayer is not, "God, give me faith!" He's already done that! The proper prayer is, "God, please help me to exercise my faith so that it can grow!"
But just how do we go about growing that faith? Join us next week for FREEDOM FROM FAITH, Part 10: If Faith is the Solution to Fear, Where does Faith Come From? Part B
In His love, Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 06 Jun 2010, 12:42 pm

Insurance!

Last week, in FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 8, we learned that we don't have to be afraid of death. Instead, we need to put our faith 100% in Jesus, trusting Him with our Salvation, believing that He knows what is best. But haven't we all learned that God helps those who help themselves? When we take a stand in faith, shouldn't we work in a little "insurance" somewhere?
You know what I'm talking about! God tells you to go on a mission trip in Africa, but just prior to purchasing your plane ticket, there is a major plane crash. You feel you need some "insurance" so that you don't end up dead, and you back out of the trip.
Or you have gone through a nasty divorce. God has promised you that He will protect your children, no matter what. But when the courts rule against supervised visitations for the children, you become afraid for their lives. You take out a loan and take your ex-spouse back to court.
Or God has told you to minister to the homeless in your town tonight. But you've been sick, and you are afraid that going out in the cold will only make you worse, so you don't go.
What's so wrong with that?
Our story is found in 1 Kings 11 and 12. Because Solomon had led the people of God into idolatry and had not remained faithful to God as his father David had done, the kingdom was taking out of the hands of his son. Only Judah remained under the direction of the line of David, and this, only because God had made David a promise that He did not wish to break: "But for the sake of my servant David and the city of Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, he will have one tribe." (1 Kings 11:32 NIV)
This was a direct fulfillment of prophecy. While Solomon was still alive, the prophet Ahijah came to Jeroboam and promised he would be king (See 1 Kings 11:29). And it came to be. Jeroboam was given, by God Himself, what rightfully belonged to the line of David: Kingship over Israel.

And after such a pronounced example of how God keeps His promises, Jeroboam was no longer afraid, right?
Unfortunately, not. Jeroboam allowed fear to enter his heart. He said to himself, "The kingdom will now likely revert to the house of David. If these people go up to offer sacrifices at the temple of the Lord in Jerusalem, they will again give their allegiance to their lord, Rehoboam king of Judah. They will kill me and return to King Rehoboam." (1 Kings 12:26-27 NIV)
Jeroboam's fear caused him to take things into his own hands: "… the king made two golden calves. He said to the people, 'It is too much for you to go up to Jerusalem. Here are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt." One he set up in Bethel, and the other in Dan. And this thing became a sin; the people went even as far as Dan to worship the one there.'" (1 Kings 12:28-30 NIV)
After being handed the kingdom of God because the former king had turned to idolatry, the first thing Jeroboam did was to turn the new kingdom of Israel to idolatry, justifying it under the name of "insurance"!

But Jeroboam's little "insurance" permanently turned the people of Israel away from God. Never once in the history of Israel, even during the ministries of great prophets like Elijah and Elisha, did they stop worshiping idols. And in the end, the nation was overtaken by the Assyrians, never to be re-established.
Jeroboam's little "insurance" policy also brought disaster to his own family as well. His son only reigned two years before he was killed and the kingdom was taken over by Basha, who went on to kill Jeroboam's entire family.
Wouldn't it have been a more pleasant outcome if Jeroboam had decided to trust God instead of allowing his fear to drive him to "insurance"?
Friends, God makes us promises on a daily basis. Do we take Him at His word, or do we, like Jeroboam, take things into our own hands in the name of "insurance"? I mean, don't you think that if God goes to all the trouble to tell you to go on a mission trip, He will protect you? If God has already promised to care of your children, He doesn't need any help! And if God tells you to minister to the homeless tonight, He will protect you from potentially bad outcomes!
Ours is not to second guess God! When He tells us to do something, our job is be 100% obedient, even in the face of trouble. God CAN be trusted! We need to put aside our fears and start trusting in Him instead of in our "insurance"!
Up until now in this FREEDOM FROM FEAR series, we've emphasized over and over again that fear is simply a product of lack of faith, and the key to overcoming fear lies in establishing more faith. But where does this faith come from? Join us next week for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 9.
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org , with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org .
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 30 May 2010, 12:48 pm

Last week, in FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 6, we learned that freedom from fear not only requires faith, but it also that we stop looking at the storm. If we keep our eyes on God, no matter what new thing is thrown our way, we will prevail! But isn't this a bit simplistic of a response for the fears of things that are inevitable? Things like - Death?
The longer I am in this ministry, the more I realize that there are thousands of Christians out there who fear death.
Why?
I believe there are three primary reasons. First of all, many fear death because they are unsure of their Salvation. They aren't certain they have done enough for God, they have confessed enough sin, or they don't feel worthy of Jesus' sacrifice.
It is an understandable fear. If you are not sure you're going to Heaven, there's only one other destination and none of us want to go there!
But the Bible tells us that Jesus is "the Way" to Heaven: "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" (John 14:6-7 NIV)
It tells us that belief in Jesus saves: "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved…" (Acts 16:31 NIV)
The Bible is also clear that there is NOTHING we can do to save ourselves: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast." (Eph 2:8-10 NIV)
This means that keeping the law and doing good deeds won't save us. We can only be saved by accepting Jesus' gift of Salvation. Therefore, if you have made Jesus Lord and Savior of your life, there is no reason to fear! Jesus' sacrifice is enough! You can trust it! When you die, you will go to be with Him in Glory!
The second reason Christians fear death is that they don't feel their time is up.
Once again, this type of a fear of death is rooted in lack of faith. The Bible tells us: "your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." (Ps 139:16 NIV) God knew before He even created us how long our time would be on Earth!
The Bible also tells us: "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!" (Rom 11:33-35 NIV) God knows what is best for us, and when His pre-described number of days is up, He knows that we will be much happier in Heaven with Him than we could ever be for the rest of our days on Earth!
Remember Ecclesiastes 3:11? "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men …" (NIV) We were created for eternity, friends, and no matter what happens, bad or good, God will make it beautiful!
The third reason Christians fear death is that there is so much on this Earth that they haven't yet done seen, or there's so much they feel they could do for Christ if they were to live.
But is there? Really?
Remember, God knows what awaits you in Heaven, and He knows that what is there is so far better than the best things we have on Earth, that it cannot be described in words! All the beautiful things God has given us here on Earth are but copies of the real. Maybe we will never experience all that our hearts desire for us to experience on this Earth, but what awaits us in Heaven is so much more real, so much more enjoyable, so much more fulfilling!
Remember: Unlike God, we do not see the end from the beginning … "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror … Now I know in part …" (1 Cor 13:12a NIV) … But one day we will: "then we shall see face to face ... then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Cor 13:12b NIV)
So the bottom line is this: we fear death because we don't have enough faith! We doubt that God's ways are best, we doubt that what awaits us after life is better than what we have here, and we don't truly believe in God's ability to begin and end our lives at precisely the right moment!
Friends, let's not go through life drug down by the fear of death! This will only darken our joy here on Earth! Instead, let's put our faith 100% in Jesus, trusting Him with our Salvation, believing that He knows what is best, and resting assured that what He has for us in Heaven will far outshine our wildest imagination here on Earth. Let's embrace the truth that God knows the precise moments to begin and end our lives, and let's have 100% Faith in His love for us, for "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear …" (1 John 4:18a NIV)
In the last several devotionals, we have used the working definition that fear is rooted in a lack of faith. But doesn't James tell us that faith without works is dead? Therefore, when we take a stand in faith, shouldn't we work in a little "insurance" somewhere? Join us next week for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 8: Insurance!
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 24 May 2010, 11:59 am

FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 6:
When Circumstance Looms

Last week, in FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 5, we learned that though God is always there to help us in our moments of fear, intentional, unconfessed sin can separate us from the His help. Our job is to confess our sin, and then continue to place our trust in Him. But what about the times when we don't have sin separating us from God, yet when we try to break free from fear by taking a stand in faith, we still waver?
Matthew records two stories of storms at sea. Two weeks ago we looked at the first one, where Jesus was calmly sleeping in the back of the boat. When the disciples woke Him up, He rebuked them for their fear, then He calmed the storm. Six chapters later, we find a similar story, only this time, Jesus isn't even in the boat.
Friends, when we are faithful in giving our fears to God, we come through the storms of life victorious. But we have to understand that we may have to face that, or a similar storm again! And this time, the playing field might not be the same!
Let's take a look at this story: "Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side … When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it." (Matt 14:22-24 NIV)
Notice that there is no reference in these verses of the disciples being afraid this time. They learned their lesson well. They knew that even though Jesus wasn't with them, God still held them in the palm of His hands!
But the story doesn't stop here: "During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear." (Matt 14:25-26 NIV)
Though victorious over fear in the storm, the disciples allowed fear to overcome them when they saw Jesus walking on the water.
I don't know about you, but I think I would also be afraid if I saw an apparition walking on water!
But that "apparition" was none other than Jesus Himself.
Friends, the majority of the things that make us afraid aren't really worthy of our fear! Jesus' true nature was masked by the storm, and so often, the storms of life make ordinary, everyday things look scary as well. But no matter what, we can trust God to get us through! Our job is simply to give our fear - all of it! - to Him, to put our trust completely in His care, to keep our eyes focused solely on Him. When we do, we won't even see the things that are all around us. We will simply ride comfortably in the arms of our Heavenly Father, fully trusting Him to get us through.
But Jesus understands our fears, and He will always meet us where we are at: "But Jesus immediately said to them: 'Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.'" (Matt 14:27 NIV)
The moment we allow that fear to creep back in, He is there to gently remind us: "I'm here! Don't be afraid!"
But we still may not be convinced. Peter wasn't: "'Lord, if it's you, … tell me to come to you on the water.' 'Come,' he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus." (Matt 14:28-30 NIV)
God understands our need to experience things before we believe, and Jesus says to us as well, "Come!" When we obey, we, too, can experience complete freedom from fear.
But there is one criteria: We must keep our eyes on Jesus! "But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, 'Lord, save me!'" (Matt 14:30 NIV)
Just like Peter, the minute we take our eyes off of Jesus, we see the looming circumstance, and the doubt returns! And the minute this happens, we WILL sink!
Freedom from fear, then, requires faith, but it also requires that we stop looking at the storm. If we keep our eyes on God, no matter what new thing is thrown our way, we will prevail! But if we don't, then like Peter, we will sink!
God is so good. "Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him." (Matt 14:31a)
Even when we fall back into our fear, God is still right there to catch us. All we have to do is to turn our eyes back upon Him.
Jesus' next words were spoken with so much love: "You of little faith … why did you doubt?" (Matt 14:31 NIV)
And when you think back on it, you, too, will say, "Yes, why DID I doubt anyway???"
Freedom from fear, friends, is a result of an unwavering faith that only looks to Jesus. But isn't this a bit simplistic of a response for the fears of things that are inevitable? Things like - Death?
Join us next week for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 7: The Fear of Death.
In His love,
Lyn

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 16 May 2010, 12:52 pm

FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 5:
But There ARE Times When God Doesn't Listen...

Last week we learned that in the midst of our worst fears, God NEVER sleeps! If we don't sense His presence, then our job is to exercise our faith, to stand firm that He is right there and He already has everything under control. He's already prepared the way out. Our confidence can be such that we can figuratively "sleep" through these hard times.
But there are times of intense fear when God doesn't hear our prayers. Jesus experienced this on the cross when He cried out, "'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?'-which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'" (Matt 27:46 NIV)
Ps. 22 gives us more insight into what Jesus was feeling when He was on the cross: "Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent." (Ps 22:1-2 NIV)
Why would God, in the direst moments of Jesus' life, abandon Him?
The Bible gives us a clue in Isaiah 59:1-2: "Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear." (NIV)
Now Jesus was without sin (1 Peter 10:22). But when He hung on that cross, every sin that ever was, and would be, committed hung on His innocent body: "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness …" (1 Peter 2:24-25 NIV)
At that moment in Jesus' life, He carried the weight of all the guilt, all the crimes, all the transgression, all the wrong of this world, and this is why Jesus could not feel God's presence! There was too much of our sin separating them!
Friends, there are times in all of our lives when we feel separated from God for the exact same reasons: There is sin in our lives!
This doesn't mean that we have sinned every time we feel far from God. Far from it. And I'm not necessarily talking about unintentional sin, about the things in your lives that God hasn't yet revealed to you. We all have that kind of sin hanging around. But there are times when God has convicted us of sin, and we choose to ignore the promptings of the Holy Spirit. It is during these times that we stay God's hand. Should this situation arise, believe me, you will know what is separating you from God!
So what do we do in times like this?
First and foremost, it is important to confess our sin. We are told that if we do, "… he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9 NIV)
But what then? So often after we've confessed, we continue to feel like we're in the dark!
Let's look to the perfect Example, Jesus Christ. While He hung on that cross, bearing all of our sins, while He felt so totally abandoned by His father, the Psalmist records His thoughts: "Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed." (Ps 22:3-5 NIV)
While Jesus was carrying so many of our sins that He felt separated from His life line, He chose to remember the deeds of the Lord. He chose to give God praise!
Jesus continues, as recorded in Ps. 22: "Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast … I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you. You who fear the Lord, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel! For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help …" (Ps 22:9,10, 22-24, 29-31 NIV)
Friends, we are called to follow His example: "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps." (1 Peter 2:21 NIV)
Therefore, when we find ourselves in the midst of terrible fear, and we realize that there is unconfessed sin that is separating us from God, we must confessed our sin. Then we must continue to place our trust in God, ever having faith in our deliverance!
Once again, the key to freedom from fear lies in faith! Unwavering faith in the almighty, all powerful, all knowing God, even when He feels like He's far away!
But aren't there times when we don't have sin separating us from God, yet when we try to break free from fear by taking a stand in faith, and we still waver? What then? Join us next Saturday for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 6: When Circumstance Looms.
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 09 May 2010, 9:41 am

So often in this ministry, we get emails from people who are experiencing fear. Fear of divorce, fear of illness, fear of death, fear that something bad will happen, fear of what happens to a person when they die. The upcoming mini-series that will be appearing in the next 8 Saturday editions of The Nugget, is entitled FREEDOM FROM FEAR. Based on 1 John 4:18, it helps us, as Christians, to understand why we fear, and to discover the keys to ultimate freedom from fear. If you have missed any of these lessons, please visit us at www.scripturalnuggets.org.
FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 4:
WHEN GOD APPEARS TO BE ASLEEP ...

In the last three lessons from FREEDOM FROM FEAR, we have learned that fear is an indication that we don't love perfectly. That perfect love is demonstrated in faith, and faith, then, becomes the antidote to fear, and that faith is the acknowledgement that God has authority over all things. But aren't there times when we find ourselves in the midst of frightening circumstances, and when we try to take a stand in faith, nothing happens? Aren't there times when God appears to be asleep?
You know what I mean! You lose your job, you find yourself in dire financial straits with no help in sight! Where is God in times like this?
And what about that diagnosis of cancer? Your child is deathly ill, you cry out to God, and the tumor grows instead of disappearing! Where is God then?
Then there's the messed up marriage. Your spouse is unfaithful to you, he wants a divorce. You pray that God will repair the broken relationship, but instead, your spouse moves in with his or her lover, leaving you and the kids completely alone! Where is God?
Can it really be that He sleeps?
The Bible says no: "He will not let your foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep." (Ps 121:3-4 NIV). But wait, the disciples actually experienced God sleeping! They caught Him in the act! On a small fishing boat, in the middle of the night and the middle of a storm, on the Sea of Galilee!
According to my reference Bible, it wasn't uncommon for sudden, violent storms to come up on the Sea of Galilee. In fact, the waves on the little lake could easily reach the height of two metres (7 feet). Neither was it uncommon for fishermen to be crossing the sea at night, for this was their prime fishing time. We know that many of Jesus' disciples were seasoned fishermen, so that fact that this storm sent them into a panic would indicate that it was a storm of all storms! Far worse than what they normally saw on the lake!
And there was Jesus, in the back of the boat, asleep.
And if the story had ended here, our logical conclusion would be that God does sleep when we are in trouble!
But the story doesn't end here!
After finding Jesus sleeping, "The disciples went and woke him, saying, 'Lord, save us! We're going to drown!' He replied, 'You of little faith, why are you so afraid?'" (Matt 8:25-26 NIV)
We all learned the next line in Sunday School: Jesus then got up and calmed the storm. But that's not the really valuable lesson in this story! The lesson of REAL value lies in Jesus' first response: "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"
What Jesus is saying is that the disciples were wrong to be afraid in this situation! Their fear spoke of their lack of faith! Jesus wasn't asleep because He wanted them to experience extreme fear. He wasn't sleeping because He wanted them to see a fabulous miracle. He was sleeping because there was simply nothing TO fear! It didn't matter to Jesus that there were a few 7 foot waves tossing the little boat around! He knew everything would come out okay!
Friends, those times in your lives when you feel God is silent, when circumstances dictate that He must be sleeping, it's because He already has everything under control! The solution has already been mapped out! He has you where you need to be, safe in the ark of His love! Nothing will happen to you that He won't help you through! Nothing will happen that is outside of His will! Nothing will happen that He won't turn into something glorious and beautiful! He appears to be asleep, because there is, simply, nothing to fear!
But what about the fact that Jesus, who though in human form and nature, was still 100% God, was asleep in the back of that boat?
Jesus slept in the back of that boat to leave us an eternal example. He wanted the world to see that when troubles rise, you can rest so peacefully in the arms of God that you can sleep through the storm!
Friends, the next time you find yourselves in the middle of a major life storm, remember Jesus' response on that stormy night on the Sea of Galilee. He was asleep because everything was already under control and He knew it. When fear creeps in and God doesn't appear to hear us, our job is to put our trust in Him, whether we feel His presence or not! Our job is to give Him our fear, and to simply believe that somehow, it will all work into something beautiful!
But the Bible DOES speak of times when God doesn't listen … Join us next Saturday for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 5: But There ARE Times When God DOESN'T Listen …
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 02 May 2010, 5:07 pm

Today's Devotional:

FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 3:

What is Faith?

Over the last two weeks, we've learned that fear is a sign that our love relationship with Jesus is not complete. We have also seen that fear brings punishment, and we've learned that the cure for fear is faith. Faith in the Lover of our souls. But what, really, IS faith?
I believe that the answer to this question is multi-faceted. If you read the Hebrews 11 you see numerous examples and definitions of faith (See http://www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder4/Faith%20--%20A%20Miniseries.htm for lessons on Faith from Hebrews 11), but one definition that recently struck me broad-sided comes from Jesus' ministry here on Earth.
Jesus and his disciples had just entered Capernaum when they were approached by a centurion. A centurion was not a Jew, but rather a roman commanding officer in charge of up to 80 roman soldiers. This was not someone who you would expect to even believe in Jesus, but he did believe, as is illustrated by the fact that he brought the problem to Jesus' attention: "'Lord,' he said, 'my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering.'" (Matt 8:6)
But this roman officer further expresses his belief in Jesus by his response to Jesus' offer to go and heal his servant: "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it." (Matt 8:7-9)
What is the centurion saying here? He's saying that he is familiar enough with authority to know that when you have authority over someone or something, all you have to do to control what or who you have authority over is to speak! He's saying that because Jesus has authority over illness, all he needs to do is speak and the servant will be healed, and in so doing, he acknowledged Jesus' authority over all things!
Note Jesus' response: "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith." (Matt 8:10) Jesus is taking the centurion's acknowledgement of His authority as a statement of faith!
And the result? "And his servant was healed at that very hour." (Matt 8:13b)
We often find ourselves in similar situations today. These may be big things such as illness, debt, or loss of jobs, homes, or families. Or these things may be smaller things, such as sending us help when we are overwhelmed or in over our heads, or providing time to accomplish everything, even when there is humanly no time at all. It doesn't matter how big or small the situation. What matters is simply this: Do we truly believe that God has the authority over our problems, whatever they may be?
We must remember several Biblical Truths. The first is that God sees the beginning from the end, the end from the beginning. Whatever it is we are going through, He knew from the beginnings of time that we would go through it. And where He knows what problems we will find ourselves in, He has also prepared a way out: "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Cor 10:13 NIV)
Secondly, we must remember that God IS all powerful! He DOES have authority over everything on this Earth! "For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority." (Col 2:9-11 NIV)
Finally, we must remember that God has promised to supply ALL of our needs: "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:19 NIV)
So if God has promised to meet all of our needs, if God is the authority over every power and authority, if God has promised to provide a way out, then why shouldn't we, like the centurion of Capernaum, also stand up and say: "You are a God who has authority over this problem! Just say the word, and the problem will be resolved!"
For when we do, then Jesus can also say of us: "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith …Go! It will be done just as you believed it would." (Matt 8:10, 13a)
In so doing, we will be expressing faith, for faith is the acknowledgement that God has authority over all things!
Now that's a great definition, but what do you do when you are in a very frightening situation, and when you try to take a stand in faith, it appears that God is asleep? Join us next Saturday for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 4: When God Appears to be Asleep …
In His love,

Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 25 Apr 2010, 1:43 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
So often in this ministry, we get emails from people who are experiencing fear. Fear of divorce, fear of illness, fear of death, fear that something bad will happen, fear of what happens to a person when they die. The upcoming mini-series that will be appearing in the next 8 Saturday editions of The Nugget, is entitled FREEDOM FROM FEAR. Based on 1 John 4:18, it helps us, as Christians, to understand why we fear, and to discover the keys to ultimate freedom from fear. If you have missed any of these lessons, please visit us at www.scripturalnuggets.org.
FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 2:
FEAR HAS TO DO WITH PUNISHMENT

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18 NIV)
Last week, in Freedom From Fear, Part A, we learned that fear only exists where there is no perfect love! The reason we have fear is that we have not yet achieved the highest level of relationship with the Lover of our souls!
But what of this part of the above text that says, "because fear has to do with punishment"?
The dictionary defines fear as: "an unpleasant feeling of anxiety or apprehension caused by the presence or anticipation of danger." (Microsoft®️ Encarta®️ 2007. ©️ 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.)
I don't believe anyone would argue that fear is a painful and distressing emotion, but let's see what the Bible says about the subject: "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship …" (Rom 8:15 NIV)
Living in fear, then, is like living in slavery. Our fears establish dominion over us, and we become enslaved to them. This idea is also suggested in Heb. 2:15: "and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death …"
It's true. Some have a fear of being alone, and their fear keeps them bound in abusive relationships. Others have a fear of heights, and their fear keeps them earthbound, dictating that they miss out on the enhanced view from above. And then there's the fear of change. Bound by this fear, it is easy to get stuck in a rut. There may be a much better way of doing things, but our fear dictates we will never be able to see it.
What does this have to do with punishment?
No one who has ever been enslaved to another would deny that slavery is a form of punishment, and fear leads directly to this punishment!
But it doesn't stop here.
Fear also brings weakness and trembling: "… I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling …" (1 Cor 2:3-4)
Fear takes away your strength! When you are afraid a bad medical diagnosis, it is impossible to stand strong on the road to recovery, to hold on to hope. Fear makes us weak, it causes us to tremble, and it can lead to our fall.
Is this not, also, a form of punishment?
And what about the story recorded in Matthew 8? Jesus frees a man who had been bound by demons, and then sends the demons into a herd of pigs. The pigs, then, overcome with the fear of the demons, ran over the cliff and drowned in the sea.
In this case, we are talking about pigs. But doesn't fear also drive us, humans, to do risky things as well? A sudden noise in the dark makes you run, but being unable to see where you are going, you plow into a tree. When you turn to run from a vicious dog, you inadvertently charge out into the road, in front of an oncoming car. Fear of falling makes you so nervous that you are much more likely to fall.
And what about the reaction of the people, after seeing the pigs run over the cliff? "Then the whole multitude of the surrounding region of the Gadarenes asked [Jesus] to depart from them, for they were seized with great fear." (Luke 8:37 NKJV) Fear drove these people to ask Jesus, the healer, the Messiah, the only One who could bring them true hope, to leave!
We see this happening in the persecuted church. Driven by fear of persecution and death, many renounce their Lord and Savior. But before we are too hard on persecuted Christians, are those who live in the Western world any less enslaved? Many of our young people fear standing out in a crowd and not being accepted. Their fear pushes them to compromise. Fear of the gift of tongues caused me to not use this gift for many months.
I could go on reciting examples of how fear drives us into the worse things we've ever known, but I think you get the picture! We are not punished because we fear, instead, it is our fear that drives us into punishment!
Enough to ponder, but do ponder this: Fear brings punishment. It causes us to push true help away, and it drives us into even worse problems. It makes us weak and unable to stand up to the storms of time, and it is totally unnecessary. We CAN be free from fear. All we have to do is learn to have faith in the love that Jesus has for each of us!
But just what is faith, and how can we have it? Join us next week for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 3: What is Faith?
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR Empty Nugget: FREEDOM FROM FEAR

Post  Admin Sun 18 Apr 2010, 11:27 am

Today's Devotional:

FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 1:
What is Fear, Anyway?

Fear.
We've all experienced it at one time or another in our lives. Sometimes for valid reasons, sometimes for invalid ones. But whatever the reason, I believe we all would agree that fear is not a fun emotion.
But what is fear, anyway?
The Bible has a definition of fear: "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18 NIV)
In other words, because perfect love and fear cannot coexist, fear is the opposite of being made perfect love!
Sounds simple enough, doesn't it?
Or does it?
But what does "made perfect in love" mean?
When you begin a relationship with Christ, you start to know Him. It's a process, but as your relationship grows, you experience Him more and more in your life, and a natural consequence of this is that your realization of how much God loves you will begin to grow, and you will begin to understand how complete that love is.
Over time, you come to understand that God's love for you is so complete and so perfect that you can trust Him to know what is best for your lives. And if you have 100% confidence in God, in His supremacy, in His power, in His ability to guide your lives, if you have 100% confidence that no matter what happens to you, whether you see it or not, it reflects a far deeper love for you that you can even fathom, then there is truly no reason to fear.
We experience this, on a human level, with our children. Especially when they are little. There are many things that little children fear. Injections, doctors, going to school, punishment… But we, as adults, know that children need these things. If they are sick, they need doctors, injections, and medicine. They need to go to school to learn so that they will be successful in life. They need punishment, guidance and direction in order to learn right from wrong. These things aren't pleasant for young children, because their minds are too immature to grasp the meaning behind it.
On a much larger scale, it is the same with God. He, as our loving Father, knows what we need in life. In our spiritually-immature states, what we must go through may seem like torture, but if we could see the end from the beginning, we would know that these things we fear are for our best good.
If we understood this, if we thoroughly understood God's love for us, we would no longer fear these things. We would simply trust that God knows best, and we would trust Him to give us the courage, strength, and desire to get through.
This is what text means when it says: "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear …" It means that when we come to trust God enough to realize that His love directs our paths, then we have no need to fear. Perfect love drives it away!
In summary then, the answer to the "What is fear" question is simple: Fear is the absence of perfect love!
Has anyone on earth ever achieved this kind of a close, trust-filled relationship with God?
I suspect that though we all are at varying levels of closeness and faith with God, perhaps none of us have achieved this state.
Therefore, does this text say it is wrong to be afraid?
No. It simply says that we don't need to be afraid, and that when we do, it's because we haven't yet achieved the highest level of relationship with the Lover of our souls! It is meant to be like a monitor - a thermometer so to speak - of where we stand in our relationship with Christ, a display of how much we have been made perfect in love!
But what about the rest of 1 John 4:18? What does " … because fear has to do with punishment …" mean?
Join us next week, for FREEDOM FROM FEAR, Part 2: What Does Punishment Have to do with Fear?
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down