» Daily Disciples
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 8:31 pm by Admin

» OBAMA AGAIN
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 8:26 pm by Admin

»  Report: Jeffrey Epstein told fellow inmates he feared for his life
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 8:22 pm by Admin

» servant @ TWO LISTENERS
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 7:46 pm by Admin

»  The Bible Says "Do Not Worry about Tomorrow" - How Do We Do It?
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 7:25 pm by Admin

» PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 12:37 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 12:35 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL HISTORY
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 12:30 pm by Admin

» 5 Steps To Embrace Life's Changes Like A Champ
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 11:10 am by Admin

» Head Jesuit Says Devil Just a ‘Symbol’, Not a Real Being
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 10:11 am by Admin

» BIRTH PANGS – Series of Powerful Earthquakes Volcano's Strike Around the Globe
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 10:04 am by Admin

» WAR DRUMS
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 10:02 am by Admin

» ENDTIME HEADLINES
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyToday at 9:48 am by Admin

» 4 Truths for When God Seems Hidden
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 10:57 pm by Admin

» R.D SOUZA Saved by faith
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 10:56 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 10:53 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Tozer Devotional - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 10:40 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Tozer Devotional

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

Tozer Devotional - Page 22 Empty Re: Tozer Devotional

Post  Admin on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:12 am

Tozer Devotional
Tue, June 05, 2012
Experientially Knowing Truth

In His conflict with the religious textualists of His day our Lord often uttered short statements that serve as keys to unlock vast and precious storehouses of truth. In the Gospel according to John these may be found in something amounting to profusion. One such is found in John 7: "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself" (7:17). A. T. Robertson, in his Word Pictures in the New Testament, explains "he shall know" as being "experimental knowledge from willingness to do God's will." Then he quotes Westcott: "if there be no sympathy there can be no understanding. " Obviously these words of Christ were understood by the great British biblical scholar Westcott and the brilliant American expositor Robertson as teaching that truth can be understood only by the mind that has surrendered to it. The average evangelical Bible teacher today finds such a radical interpretation too revolutionary to be comfortable and so just ignores it.

Verse
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. Ephesians 1:17

Thought
How is it that the Great God deigns to allow you and me, out of the billions on earth, to know Him in measure and to know His truth? I dont't know why but He does.

Prayer
I want to know You, Lord, experientially know You, know You better than I know You now. Open my eyes!
Admin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

Tozer Devotional
Mon, June 04, 2012
Transforming Truth

The essence of my belief is that there is a difference, a vast difference, between fact and truth. Truth in the Scriptures is more than a fact. A fact may be detached, impersonal, cold and totally disassociated from life. Truth on the other hand, is warm, living and spiritual. A theological fact may be held in the mind for a lifetime without its having any positive effect upon the moral character; but truth is creative, saving, transforming, and it always changes the one who receives it into a humbler and holier man. At what point, then, does a theological fact become for the one who holds it a life-giving truth? At the point where obedience begins. When faith gains the consent of the will to make an irrevocable committal to Christ as Lord, truth begins its saving, illuminating work; and not one moment before.

Verse
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.' John 8:31-32

Thought
Truth sets free! Truth embraced, clung to, integrated into everyday living. Truth changes the heart not just the mind.

Prayer
Father, forgive me for sometimes holding Your truth at arm's length--examining it, analyzing it, exegeting it--but failing to fully live it. Your truth sets free.
Tozer Devotional
Sat, June 02, 2012
The Soaring Spirit

Always the Church has been tempted to think of God by the use of images and forms, and always when she has so done she has fallen into externalism and spiritual decay. Some of the greatest books apart from the inspired Scriptures have been written to call the Church back to a purer view of God. Miguel de Molinos, in his Spiritual Guide, insists that prayer is “an ascent or elevation of the mind to God.” “God is above all creatures,” he says further, “and the soul cannot see Him nor converse with Him if she raise not herself above them all.” . . . I think it may be said with a fair degree of accuracy that all the great devotional theologians of the centuries taught the futility of trying to visualize the Godhead. Molinos warned against every effort of the intellect to image God forth. “She ought to go forward with her love,” he says of the Christian’s soul, “leaving all her understanding behind. Let her love God as He is and not as her understanding says He is, and pictures Him.” The teaching of the New Testament is that God and spiritual things can be known finally only by a direct work of God within the soul. However theological knowledge may be aided by figures and analogies, the true understanding of God must be by personal spiritual awareness. The Holy Spirit is indispensable. (See John 14--16:33 and I Corinthians 1:18--2:16.)

Verse
God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth. John 4:24

Thought
Intellectual concentration on scripture is necessary to understand truth, to apply it and to communicate it to others. There is also necessary the soaring of the spirit beyond intellectual exercise where our spirit communes with God.

Prayer
Teach me more of spirit worship, Lord, that in truth and spirit I may worship You.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:45 am

Tozer Devotional
Sat, June 02, 2012
The Soaring Spirit

Always the Church has been tempted to think of God by the use of images and forms, and always when she has so done she has fallen into externalism and spiritual decay. Some of the greatest books apart from the inspired Scriptures have been written to call the Church back to a purer view of God. Miguel de Molinos, in his Spiritual Guide, insists that prayer is “an ascent or elevation of the mind to God.” “God is above all creatures,” he says further, “and the soul cannot see Him nor converse with Him if she raise not herself above them all.” . . . I think it may be said with a fair degree of accuracy that all the great devotional theologians of the centuries taught the futility of trying to visualize the Godhead. Molinos warned against every effort of the intellect to image God forth. “She ought to go forward with her love,” he says of the Christian’s soul, “leaving all her understanding behind. Let her love God as He is and not as her understanding says He is, and pictures Him.” The teaching of the New Testament is that God and spiritual things can be known finally only by a direct work of God within the soul. However theological knowledge may be aided by figures and analogies, the true understanding of God must be by personal spiritual awareness. The Holy Spirit is indispensable. (See John 14--16:33 and I Corinthians 1:18--2:16.)

Verse
God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth. John 4:24

Thought
Intellectual concentration on scripture is necessary to understand truth, to apply it and to communicate it to others. There is also necessary the soaring of the spirit beyond intellectual exercise where our spirit communes with God.

Prayer
Teach me more of spirit worship, Lord, that in truth and spirit I may worship You.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 7:01 pm

Tozer Devotional
Fri, June 01, 2012
Beyond the Shepherd Image

It would appear obvious enough once we think of it that the image of natural objects treasured in the mind tends to impede the flight of our souls upward into God. Illustrations which, by their very definition, should let in light, if used often and objectified by the artist’s brush, become opaque at last and actually shut out the light they were intended to admit. A familiar example may help me to make my point. The psalmist David, in the most beautiful hymn in the world, teaches us to think of Christ as our Shepherd. The Lord Jesus carried the idea further and talked tenderly of His sheep and of Himself as the Shepherd who should lay down His life for them. The artists took up the idea and depicted Christ as a real shepherd and their work has become so fixed in the minds of Christians that when our Lord returns many of them will be secretly disappointed if He is not carrying a crook in His hand and a woolly lamb under His arm. In this instance what is intended to assist our understanding, to lift our imagination, to put poetry and music into our hearts, has by our blindness become instead a positive hindrance to our knowledge of Christ. Worse, it has given us not only an inadequate but an erroneous picture of Him. We try to visualize Him and the only image that projects onto the screen is that of an idealized shepherd of the Near East, an image which I am certain Paul and John would never recognize. Paul declared that he knew Christ after the flesh no more, and the same John who had recorded the words of Christ concerning the sheep and the shepherd, when he saw Him as He now is fell at His feet as dead.

Verse
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place . . . that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:9-11

Thought
He is our shepherd in all the biblical meaning of that metaphor. But He is the risen Christ, King of kings, Lord of lords at whose name one day every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord, to the glory of the Father!

Prayer
Open my eyes, Lord, to behold You as You are, within human ability to do so.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm

Tozer Devotional
Thu, May 31, 2012
Heart Worship

One task of the illuminated Christian teacher is to internalize worship and raise the religious concepts of church people above the figures and allegories that enabled them to grasp those concepts in the first place. The figure is the box in which the shining jewel is carried; but it is surprisingly easy to mistake the box for the jewel and look for nothing more. Christianity is the religion of the heart. It searches for and finds the man under his wrappings. The gospel reaches the man under his wrappings. The gospel reaches the man far in where there is nothing to distinguish him from any other man. Whether he is dark or red or white matters not at all; whether he is a Stone Age aborigine in a grass hut or a civilized white man in an air-conditioned office he is the same man underneath, and it is for that man that the Spirit keeps up His persistent search.

Verse
Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; for he is our God . . . Psalm 95:6-7a

Thought
Worship. Heart worship. When our spirit is caught up in awesome wonder in the majesty of God's presence. More than emotional uplift more than intellectual loftiness. Rather, recognition that He is God and bowing in spirit before Him. We don't know much o

Prayer
Teach me to worship, to worship in heart. And use me to help others to so worship You. You are God.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 31 May 2012, 8:34 pm

Tozer Devotional
Wed, May 30, 2012
Distinguishing the Spiritual from the Natural

They who think on heavenly things are forced by their psychological structure to use mental raw material borrowed from the earth. And this is certain to show up in their thinking. Even the Bible, to be understood by its readers, must condescend to tell of eternal things in the language of time. It must explain the celestial by means of the mundane. So we find in the Scriptures birds and kings and sheep and soldiers acting as interpreters for Almighty God. Grapes and lilies, gold and stubble, corn and cattle, rain and stars all are used by the Holy Spirit to carry our minds across the vast chasm that separates the spiritual from the material. Doubtless the constant use of figures drawn from our familiar world to express religious ideas leaves a residuum at the bottom of our minds which in some measure gives color, if not form, to our theology. We struggle to understand spiritual things by comparing them to natural ones; then little by little those natural things become identified with the spiritual completely and the spiritual suffers greatly as a consequence.

Verse
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 1 Corinthians 13:12

Thought
At best we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror because God reveals to us reality of which we have no experience. He speaks of the unknown in the context of the familiar so that we may grasp truth even imperfectly.

Prayer
O Holy Spirit, help me to move beyond the natural to the spiritual to undersstand what for me is the newly revealed.
Tozer Devotional
Tue, May 29, 2012
Daring to be Different

The fear of man brings a snare, said the prophet, and this enemy, too, must be defeated. Our whole modern world is geared to destroy individual independence and bring all of us into conformity to all the rest of us. Any deviation from the pattern, whatever that pattern may be at the time, will not be forgiven by society, and since the Christian must deviate radically from the world he naturally comes in for the world’s displeasure. If he surrenders to fear he has been conquered, and he dare not let this happen. Other enemies may be identified, such as love of luxury, secret sympathy with the world, self-confidence, pride and unholy thoughts. These we must resist with every power within us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.

Verse
Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have my law in your hearts: Do not fear the reproach of men or be terrified by their insults. Isaiah 51:7

Thought
How easily concern for what people think pushes aside our awesome reverence for what God thinks. As people of God in this world we are different. But it is sometimes embarassing, even fearful, when others note the difference. It can even be costly.

Prayer
O Father, give me courage to be lovingly different for Christ's sake.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 30 May 2012, 11:54 am

Tozer Devotional
Mon, May 28, 2012
Looking Back While Pressing On

Another enemy is complacency.“ Woe to them that are at ease in Zion” (Amos 6:1). The contended Christian is not in danger of attack, he has already been attacked. He is sick and does not know it. To escape this we must stir up the gift of God which is in us. We must declare war on contentment and press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Again there is self-righteousness. The temptation to feel morally pleased with ourselves will be all the greater as our lives become better. The only sure defense against this is to cultivate a quiet state of continual penitence. A sweet but sobering memory of our past guilt and a knowledge of our present imperfections are not incompatible with the joy of the Lord; and they are of inestimable aid in resisting the enemy.

Verse
Woe to you who are complacent in Zion, and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria, you notable men of the foremost nation, to whom the people of Israel come!" Amos 6:1

Thought
Distorted perspective fuels pride. We have come a long way. Thanks be to God! We have a long way to go in becoming what God intends us to be. Let's press on!

Prayer
Thank You, Lord, for the changes You have brought in me. Yet the closer I come to You the more exposed is my sinfulness and old-nature living. Gracious Lord, please keep growing me.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 28 May 2012, 9:18 pm

Tozer Devotional
Sun, May 27, 2012

Faith Living and Faith Believing

One enemy we must resist is unbelief. The temptation is strong to reject what we cannot explain, or at least to withhold belief till we have investigated further. This attitude is proper, even commendable, for the scientist, but wholly wrong for the Christian. Here is the reason: The faith of the Christian rests down squarely upon the man Christ Jesus who declares that He is both God and Lord. This claim must be received by pure faith or rejected outright; it can never be proved by investigation. That is why Christ’s appeal is directed to faith alone. The believer thinks, it is true; but he thinks because he believes, not in order that he may. Faith secures from the indwelling Spirit confirmation exquisitely perfect, but only after it is there without other support than Christ Himself.

Verse
We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7

Thought
It is only by faith we can see the unseen that is the anchor of our belief. We live by faith. But it is faith in Christ!

Prayer
O Christ, it is because of who I have found You to be that I walk by faith into the unseen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 27 May 2012, 12:30 pm

Tozer Devotional
Sat, May 26, 2012
In the World But Not of It

The Church lives in a hostile world. Within and around her are enemies that not only could destroy her, but are meant to and will unless she resists force with yet greater force. The Christian would collapse from sheer external pressure were there not within him a counterpressure sufficiently great to prevent it. The power of the Holy Spirit is, therefore, not optional but necessary. Without it the children of God simply cannot live the life of heaven on earth. The hindrances are too many and too effective. A Church is a living organism and is subject to attack from such enemies as prey on living things. Yet the figure of the human body to stand for the Church is not adequate, for the life of the body is nonintelligent, whereas the Church is composed of moral beings having intelligence to recognize their enemies and a will to enable them to resist. The human body can fight its enemies even while it is asleep, but the Church cannot. She must be awake and determined or she cannot win.

Verse
I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. John 17:14-15

Thought
Increasing is the pressure not only to be in the world but of it. The blurring of truth in the name of tolerance and cultural acceptance is lulling the North American church to sleep. It is time to wake up and stand up in the power of the Spirit.

Prayer
Lord, help me to be lovingly different in this world. Only by Your Spirit's enablement can I live in it without being of it.

Tozer Devotional
Fri, May 25, 2012
That Bent to Backsliding

Someday the church can relax her guard, call her watchmen down from the wall and live in safety and peace; but not yet, not yet. All that is good in the world stands as a target for all that is evil and manages to stay alive only by constant watchfulness and the providential protection of Almighty God. As a man or a nation may be in deepest trouble when unaware of any trouble at all and in gravest danger when ignorant that any danger exists, so the church may be in greatest peril by not recognizing the presence of peril or the source from which it comes. The church at Laodicea has stood for nineteen hundred years as a serious warning to the whole church of Christ to be most watchful when no enemy is in sight and to remain poor in spirit when earthly wealth increases, yet we appear to have learned nothing from her. We expound the seven letters to the churches of Asia and then return to our own company to live like the Laodicean church. There is in us a bent to backsliding that is all but impossible to cure.

Verse
You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. Revelation 3:17

Thought
How tragic to think that we are spiritually rich, morally strong and saintly when God sees us as pitiful, poor and blind. Complacency makes us prime targets of the enemy. In love, the Lord will discipline.

Prayer
Lord, give me an ear to hear what You are saying and the good sense to bow to Your will.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 25 May 2012, 6:41 pm

Tozer Devotional
Thu, May 24, 2012

Setting Sights on the Highest Goals

“Thou art to know that thy soul is the center, habitation, and kingdom of God,” says Miguel de Molinos. “That therefore, to the end the sovereign King may rest on that throne, thou oughtest to take pains to keep thy soul pure, quiet, void and peaceable; pure from guilt and defects; quiet from fears; void of affections, desires and thoughts; and peaceable in temptation and tribulation. Thou oughtest always then to keep thine heart in peace, that thou mayest keep pure that temple of God, and with a right and pure intention thou art to work, pray, obey, and suffer, without being in the least disturbed, whatever it pleases the Lord to send unto thee.” To enjoy this growing knowledge of God will require that we go beyond the goals so casually set by modern evangelicals. We must fix our hearts on God and purposefully aim to rise above the dead level and average of current Christianity. If we do this Satan will surely tempt us by accusing us of spiritual pride and our friends will warn us to beware of being “holier than thou.” But as the land of promise had to be taken by storm against the determined opposition of the enemy, so we must capture new spiritual heights over the sour and violent protests of the devil. As we move farther up into the knowledge of Christ we open new areas of our beings to attack, but what of it? Remember that spiritual complacency is more deadly than anything the devil can bring against us in our upward struggle. If we sit still to escape temptation, then we are being tempted worse than before and gaining nothing by it. “Ye have dwelt long enough in this mount . . . Behold, I have set the land before you: go in and possess the land” (Deut. 1:6, 8).

Verse
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect,but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Philippians 3:12

Thought
Christ Jesus took hold of us for what? Are we pressing on for it? Are our goals set high enough?

Prayer
Father, I am fearful to pray 'to know You whatever it pleases You to send me.’ But You are my Father and You love me, You LOVE me. I can trust You. Through Christ my Lord. Amen
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 24 May 2012, 7:45 pm

Tozer Devotional
Wed, May 23, 2012

Determining to Know God
The experiential knowledge of God is eternal life (John 17:3), and increased knowledge results in a correspondingly larger and fuller life. So rich a treasure is this inward knowledge of God that every other treasure is as nothing compared with it. We may count all things of no value and sacrifice them freely if we may thereby gain a more perfect knowledge of God through Jesus Christ our Lord. This was Paul’s testimony (Phil. 3:7-14) and it has been the testimony of all great Christian souls who have followed Christ from Paul’s day to ours. To know God it is necessary that we be like God to some degree, for things wholly dissimilar cannot agree and beings wholly unlike can never have communion with each other. It is necessary therefore that we use every means of grace to bring our souls into harmony with the character of God.

Verse
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. 2 Peter 3:18

Thought
Growing in the grace and knowledge of Christ is not automatic. We must make it the foremost life priority. To know Him!

Prayer
Lord, today may I grow in knowing You. As I go through the day's routines I want to recognize Your presence and walk close to You.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 23 May 2012, 10:01 pm

Tozer Devotional
Tue, May 22, 2012
Christ Our Mediator

How two wills set in opposition to each other, and both free, could be harmonized was God’s problem and His alone; and with infinite wisdom and power He solved it through the redemptive work of Jesus Christ our Lord. Because Christ is God and man He can properly represent each before the other. He is the Daysman who can stand between the alienated man and the offended God and lay His hand upon them both. “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (1 Tim. 2:5) . All this is such a familiar part of evangelical theology that it may safely be assumed that the majority of my readers know it already. That is, they know it theoretically, but the experiential aspect of the truth is not so well known. Indeed large numbers of supposedly sound Christian believers know nothing at all about personal communion with God; and there lies one of the greatest weaknesses of present-day Christianity.

Verse
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time. 1 Timothy 2:5

Thought
Christ mediates between God and us. He draws us to God who wants all to be saved. Christ has done this by giving Himself as our ransom. You and I may know God! Are we presently knowing Him?

Prayer
O Great Mediator, You have scrubbed clean my heart and mind. You have paid my sin-debt in full. I want to know You, intimately know You!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 22 May 2012, 11:14 pm

Tozer Devotional
Mon, May 21, 2012
Rejecting Our Option to Experience God

That first picture of God and man at the time of the creation shows them in close and openhearted communion. Adam listens while God explains how it is to be with him in his Eden home and lays down a few easy rules for his life on the earth. The whole scene is restful, relaxed and altogether beautiful. But the communion did not last. Adam’s very likeness to God, viz., his freedom to choose, permitted him, though it did not compel him, to make a choice contrary to the will of God. So sin entered and the wondrous fellowship was broken. Seen from our human standpoint redemption must rank first among all the acts of God. No other achievement of the Godhead required such vast and precise knowledge, such perfection of wisdom or such fullness of moral power. To bring man into communion with Himself God must deal effectively with the whole matter of justice and righteousness; He must dispose of sin, reconcile an enemy and make a rebel willingly obedient. And this He must do without compromising His holiness or coercing the race He would save.

Verse
Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. Genesis 3:8

Thought
Adam and Eve rejected their option to experience God. They exercised their God-given freedom to turn away from God. We have all inherited their "spiritual DNA." We choose sin and darkness. In Christ God calls us to come to Him, to know Him.

Prayer
O God, how often have I exercised the freedom You have given me to turn away from You to sin. That freedom I now use to flee to You and life in Christ!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 21 May 2012, 8:47 pm

Tozer Devotional
Sun, May 20, 2012
Exercising Our Option to Experience GodWithout doubt the greatest need of the human personality is to experience God Himself. This is because of who God is and who and what man is. God is the essence of intelligent, self-conscious life and man is created in His image. God is love, and man is made for God. God and man exist for each other and neither is satisfied without the other. Though God is self-sufficient He has sovereignly willed to have communion with the being He made in honor next to Himself, and He takes every means to secure this communion short of coercion, which would be a violation of man’s free will. Were God to override our wills He would be forcing Himself upon us and by so doing would make us a little less than human and so a little less than the being He made for Himself.

Verse
. . . As God has said: 'I will be their God and they shall be my people.' 2 Corinthians 6:16c

Thought
By creating us in His image, God has opened to us the possibility of communion with Him. Through Christ we may experience God. It is an option we exercise, reject or just neglect.

Prayer
Lord, You have made me so that I may experience You. Teach me to walk with You.

Tozer Devotional
Sat, May 19, 2012

The Secret of Life is Theological

Whatever keeps me from the Bible is my enemy, however harmless it may appear to be. Whatever engages my attention when I should be meditating on God and things eternal does injury to my soul. Let the cares of life crowd out the Scriptures from my mind and I have suffered loss where I can least afford it. Let me accept anything else instead of the Scriptures and I have been cheated and robbed to my eternal confusion. The secret of life is theological and the key to heaven as well. We learn with difficulty, forget easily and suffer many distractions. Therefore we should set our hearts to study theology. We should preach it from our pulpits, sing it in our hymns, teach it to our children and make it the subject of conversation when we meet with Christian friends.

Verse
Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. John 17:3

Thought
The secret of life is not only knowing about God but knowing Him. Life in its fullest is knowing Him! That is life today and life eternal.

Prayer
Thank You, Father, for the Bible in my language. Through it I hear Your voice and know Your will because of Your Spirit who illumines me.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 20 May 2012, 10:04 am

Tozer Devotional
Fri, May 18, 2012

The Study of God

It is precisely because God is, and because man is made in His image and is accountable to Him, that theology is so critically important. Christian revelation alone has the answer to life’s unanswered questions about God and human destiny. To let these authoritative answers lie neglected while we search everywhere else for answers and find none is, it seems to me, nothing less than folly. No motorist would be excused if he neglected to consult his road map and tried instead to find his way across the country by looking for moss on logs, or by observing the flight of wild bees or watching the movements of the heavenly bodies. If there were no map a man might find his way by the stars; but for a traveler trying to get home the stars would be a poor substitute for a map. Without a map the Greeks did an admirable piece of navigating; but the Hebrews possessed the map and so had no need of human philosophy. As one not wholly unacquainted with Greek thought I state it is my belief that but one of Isaiah’s eloquent chapters or David’s inspired psalms contains more real help for mankind than all the output of the finest minds of Greece during the centuries of her glory.

Verse
Set your minds on thing above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3:2-3

Thought
Theology is the study of God. It reveals who I am and who I can become because of who God is, what He had done and what He continues to do..

Prayer
Open my eyes, Lord, open my mind to grasp more of who You are and who I am in You. In Jesus' name.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 18 May 2012, 8:08 pm

Tozer Devotional
Thu, May 17, 2012

No Morality Without God

It has always seemed to me completely inconsistent that existentialism should deny the existence of God and then proceed to use the language of theism to persuade men to live right. The French writer, Jean-Paul Sartre, for instance, states frankly that he represents atheistic existentialism. “If God does not exist,” he says, “we find no values or commands to turn to which legitimize our conduct. So in the bright realm of values, we have no excuse behind us, nor justification before us. We are all alone, with no excuses.” Yet in the next paragraph he states bluntly, “Man is responsible for his passion,” and further on, “A coward is responsible for his cowardice.” And such considerations as these, he says, fill the existentialist with “anguish, forlornness and despair.” It seems to me that such reasoning must assume the truth of everything it seeks to deny. If there were no God there would be no such words as “responsible.” No criminal need fear a judge who does not exist; nor would he need to worry about breaking a law that had not been passed. It is the knowledge that the law and the judge do in fact exist that strikes fear to the lawbreaker’s heart. There is someone to whom he is accountable; otherwise the concept of responsibility could have no meaning.

Verse
The fool says in his heart, 'there is no God.' . . . Psalm 14:1

Thought
Without God there is no right or wrong, good or bad. Somehow we have evolved from something causeless. Why are we here and for what purpose? There is no answer for the one who has said in his or her heart "There is no God."

Prayer
O God, You are! Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I worship You and give thanks to You.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 17 May 2012, 9:35 pm

Tozer Devotional
Wed, May 16, 2012

If God Is

We being what we are and all things else being what they are, the most important and profitable study any of us can engage in is without question the study of theology. That theology probably receives less attention than any other subject tells us nothing about its importance or lack of it. It indicates rather that men are still hiding from the presence of God among the trees of the garden and feel acutely uncomfortable when the matter of their relation to God is brought up. They sense their deep alienation from God and only manage to live at peace with themselves by forgetting that they are not at peace with God. If there were no God, things would be quite otherwise with us. Were there no one to whom we must finally render up account, at least one big load would be gone from our minds. We would only need to live within the law, not too hard a task in most countries, and there would be nothing to fear. But if God indeed created the earth and placed man upon it in a state of moral probation, then the heavy obligation lies upon us to learn the will of God and do it.

Verse
I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them. John 17:26

Thought
If God is, who is He? What is He like? How do I relate to Him? What is His will? Foollish questions if God isn't. But if He is I must know all I can about Him--that becomes my theology.

Prayer
Lord, without You there is no reason for me to be and nothing for me beyond death. But You are! Through Your Son, You and Your love are made known. Thank You!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 16 May 2012, 10:02 pm

Tozer Devotional
Tue, May 15, 2012

Thankfully Receiving and Responsibly Using

To receive in a measure more in keeping with God's liberality five things are necessary. The third is receptivity, and one factor always present in receptivity is interest. It is virtually impossible to receive into our minds anything in which we have no interest. A man of ordinary mind may go on to do marvels in a given field if he has keen enough interest in it, and leave behind many men of finer minds who lack the necessary interest. Sometimes one interest may crowd out another. I wonder how many potential Rubensteins or Heifetzes may have gotten lost in obscurity simply because they could not as boys bring themselves to practice when a ball game was in progress on a corner lot nearby. So worldly interests often crowd out heavenly ones and spiritual receptivity is destroyed as a result. The fourth is responsibility. The gifts of God are given to us to use. When they are not used they atrophy. The story of the ten talents should be a warning to all of us. When writing about the gifts of the Spirit the apostle Paul explained that these manifestations of the Spirit were given to everyone for the profit of all. Selfish attitudes toward the blessings of God can destroy their usefulness. We have a serious responsibility in this matter. The fifth is gratitude. It is impossible to be too thankful to God, but it might be good to try it. Our wise Father does not usually give a second gift until we properly praise Him for the first.

Verse
He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Romans 8:32

Thought
He gives abundantly. Let's receive with thanksgiving and use what He gives for His glory.

Prayer
"Forgive me, Father, for my frequent thanklessness. I want to receive all that You graciously give. And I want to use it for Your glory!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 16 May 2012, 8:19 am

Tozer Devotional
Mon, May 14, 2012

Growing Faith and Increasing Capacity

To receive in a measure more in keeping with God's liberality five things are necessary. The first is faith. We must be convinced that God is kind, generous, goodhearted and ready to bestow His blessings upon His people with the bounty of a king. To have faith we must immerse ourselves in the Scriptures. And faith must be exercised if it is to be effective. Faith, like a muscle, grows by stretching. The second is capacity. That we differ from each other in spiritual capacity is too evident to need proof; but the reason is a great mystery and lies too deep for our understanding, certainly too deep for discussion here. It is enough to say that whatever his capacity each man can increase it if he will. The human soul is not a hard-baked vessel with a fixed size; it is a living thing capable of growth and expansion as it interacts with the gracious actions of the Holy Spirit.

Verse
The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" Luke 17:5

Thought
Exercising faith increases it. Exercising faith opens our soul's door to receive from God and increases our capacity to receive.

Prayer
Lord, I can't ask You to increase my faith until I am ready to exercise what faith I already have.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 14 May 2012, 10:24 pm

Tozer Devotional
Sun, May 13, 2012

Unlimited Resources but Limited Receptacles

Since God is infinite, whatever He is must be infinite also; that is, it must be without any actual or conceivable limits. The moment we allow ourselves to think of God as having limits, the one of whom we are thinking is not God but someone or something less than and different from Him. To think rightly of God we must conceive of Him as being altogether boundless in His goodness, mercy, love, grace and in whatever else we may properly attribute to the Deity. It is not enough that we acknowledge God's infinite resources; we must believe also that He is infinitely generous to bestow them. The first is not too great a strain on our faith. Even the deist will admit that the Most High God, possessor of heaven and earth, must be rich beyond the power of man to conceive. But to believe that God is a giver as well as a possessor takes an advanced faith and presupposes that there has been a divine revelation to that effect which gives validity to our expectations. Which indeed there has been. We call this revelation the Bible. Believing all this, why are we Christians so poverty stricken? I think it is because we have not learned that God's gifts are meted out according to the taker, not according to the giver. Though almighty and all-wise, God yet cannot pour a great gift into a small receptacle.

Verse
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Luke 6:38-39

Thought
God gives and gives and gives. No matter how much we receive there is still more to be received. If we would only give and empty ourselves of the junk that clutters, we may reach out to take more from Him.

Prayer
Oh to be an empty vessel to aggressively receive all that You, O Lord, give.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 13 May 2012, 4:25 pm

Tozer Devotional
Sat, May 12, 2012
Daily Cross-carrying

Our Lord called men to follow Him but He never made the way look easy. Indeed one gets the distinct impression that He made it appear extremely hard. Sometimes He said things to disciples or prospective disciples that we today discreetly avoid repeating when we are trying to win men to Him. What present-day evangelist would have the courage to tell an inquirer, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it" (Matt. 16:24-25)? And do not we do some tall explaining when someone asks us what Jesus meant when He said, "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law" (Matt. 10:34-35)? That kind of rugged, sinewy Christianity is left for an occasional missionary or for some believer behind one of the various curtains in the world. The masses of professed Christians simply do not have the moral muscle to enable them to take a path so downright and final as this. When will Christians learn that to love righteousness it is necessary to hate sin? that to accept Christ it is necessary to reject self? that to follow the good way we must flee from evil? that a friend of the world is an enemy of God? that God allows no twilight zone between two altogethers where the fearful and the doubting may take refuge at once from hell to come and the rigors of present discipline?

Verse
If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

Thought
Ever wonder why we experience such difficulty in trying to follow Christ? Perhaps we have neglected to take up our cross daily--that cross which is the instrument of death to self.

Prayer
By Your Spirit, Lord, remind me to carry my cross today. I want to follow Christ.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 12 May 2012, 9:35 pm

Tozer Devotional
Fri, May 11, 2012

Unseen Realities

Let us not be shocked by the suggestion that there are disadvantages to the life in Christ. There most certainly are. Abel was murdered. Joseph was sold into slavery, Daniel was thrown into the den of lions, Stephen was stoned to death, Paul was beheaded, and a noble army of martyrs was put to death by various painful methods down the long centuries. And where the hostility did not lead to such violence (and mostly it did not and does not) the sons of this world nevertheless managed to make it tough for the children of God in a thousand cruel ways. Everyone who has lived for Christ in a Christless world has suffered some losses and endured some pains that he could have avoided by the simple expedient of laying down his cross. However, the pains are short and the losses inconsequential compared with the glory that will follow, "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor. 4:17). But while we are here among men with our sensitive hearts exposed to the chilly blasts of the unbelieving and uncomprehending world it is imperative that we take a realistic view of things and learn how to deal with disadvantages. And it is important that we tell the whole truth to those we are endeavoring to win.

Verse
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

Thought
Our present troubles are light and temporary when compared to the glory eternal and as yet unseen. In the momentary in which we are now living let's fix our eyes on the unseen. It is the unseen that is far more real than that which is now seen.

Prayer
Lord, help me develop the discipline to look up from present pain and suffering which shall pass to the coming glory which is eternal.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 11 May 2012, 4:49 pm

Tozer Devotional
Thu, May 10, 2012

Accepting Christ Means Rejecting All Else

The notion that we enter the Christian life by an act of acceptance is true, but that is not all the truth. There is much more to it than that. Christianity involves an acceptance and a repudiation, an affirmation and a denial. And this not only at the moment of conversion but continually thereafter day by day in all the battle of life till the great conflict is over and the Christian is home from the wars. To live a life wholly positive is, fortunately, impossible. Were any man able to do such a thing it could be only for a moment. Living positively would be like inhaling continuously without exhaling. Aside from its being impossible, it would be fatal. Exhalation is as necessary to life as inhalation. To accept Christ it is necessary that we reject whatever is contrary to Him. This is a fact often overlooked by eager evangelists bent on getting results. Like the salesman who talks up the good points of his product and conceals its disadvantages, the badly informed soulwinner stresses the positive side of things at the expense of the negative.

Verse
No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. Luke 16:13

Thought
To accept Christ as Lord is to reject all else. We cannot accept His Saviorhood and deny His Lordship. It is Christ the Lord who is Savior.

Prayer
In turning to You there is inevitably that from which I turn. Show me, Lord, that baggage and stuff I am trying to drag along in following You. For Jesus' sake.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 10 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Tozer Devotional
Wed, May 09, 2012

Victors or Victims

If Satan opposes the new convert he opposes still more bitterly the Christian who is pressing on toward a higher life in Christ. The Spirit-filled life is not, as many suppose, a life of peace and quiet pleasure. It is likely to be something quite the opposite. Viewed one way it is a pilgrimage through a robber-infested forest; viewed another, it is a grim warfare with the devil. Always there is struggle, and sometimes there is a pitched battle with our own nature where the lines are so confused that it is all but impossible to locate the enemy or to tell which impulse is of the Spirit and which of the flesh. There is complete victory for us if we will but take the way of the triumphant Christ, but that is not what we are considering now. My point here is that if we want to escape the struggle we have but to draw back and accept the currently accepted low-keyed Christian life as the normal one. That is all Satan wants. That will ground our power, stunt our growth and render us harmless to the kingdom of darkness. Compromise will take the pressure off. Satan will not bother a man who has quit fighting. But the cost of quitting will be a life of peaceful stagnation. We sons of eternity just cannot afford such a thing.

Verse
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. Ephesians 6:10-11

Thought
Unmistakably clear from scripture is the fact that as believers we are in warfare. God has provided armor, weaponry and strength for the battle (Eph. 6:10-18). It remains for us to use it! Otherwise we are in danger of becoming POWs.

Prayer
O Lord, I want to be strong in You. Thank You for the armor and weaponry with which You have equipped me. I go today in Your strength.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 09 May 2012, 4:51 pm

Tozer Devotional
Tue, May 08, 2012
Those Museum Pieces

Now I do not think that Satan much cares to destroy us Christians physically. The soldier dead in battle who died performing some deed of heroism is not a great loss to the army but may rather be an object of pride to his country. On the other hand the soldier who cannot or will not fight but runs away at the sound of the first enemy gun is a shame to his family and a disgrace to his nation. So a Christian who dies in the faith represents no irreparable loss to the forces of righteousness on earth and certainly no victory for the devil. But when whole regiments of professed believers are too timid to fight and too smug to be ashamed, surely it must bring an astringent smile to the face of the enemy; and it should bring a blush to the cheeks of the whole Church of Christ. The devil's master strategy for us Christians then is not to kill us physically (though there may be some special situations where physical death fits into his plan better), but to destroy our power to wage spiritual warfare. And how well he has succeeded. The average Christian these days is a harmless enough thing. God knows. He is a child wearing with considerable self-consciousness the harness of the warrior; he is a sick eaglet that can never mount up with wings; he is a spent pilgrim who has given up the journey and sits with a waxy smile trying to get what pleasure he can from sniffing the wilted flowers he has plucked by the way. Such as these have been reached. Satan has gotten to them early. By means of false teaching or inadequate teaching, or the huge discouragement that comes from the example of a decadent church, he has succeeded in weakening their resolution, neutralizing their convictions and taming their original urge to do exploits; now they are little more than statistics that contribute financially to the upkeep of the religious institution. And how many a pastor is content to act as a patient, smiling curator of a church full (or a quarter full) of such blessed spiritual museum pieces.

Verse
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13

Thought
We are warriors not spectators. We are on active duty not on furlough. Some of us seem to be singing: "backward Christian soldiers, fleeing from all war; drop the cross of Jesus, live just as before."

Prayer
Father, in myself I am careless, fearful and weak. I don't want to be a museum piece. Only in Christ can I be strong and stand firm. Only in Him.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum