World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» WHY DID GOD CREATE EVIL
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyToday at 4:36 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyToday at 2:37 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
Daily Disciples - Page 37 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Daily Disciples

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Daily Disciples - Page 37 Empty Re: Daily Disciples

Post  Admin Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

July 6
Today's Reading: Job 32-33; Acts 14
Today's Thoughts: Follow Me
After these things He went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, "Follow Me." So he left all, rose up, and followed Him. Then Levi gave Him a great feast in his own house. And there were a great number of tax collectors and others who sat down with them. Luke 5:27-29
A tax collector was not an honorable position during Jesus' time. Tax collectors were known for their shrewd and fraudulent ways. This passage says that Jesus went out and saw a tax collector named Levi. Jesus obviously got his attention as He commissioned Levi to follow Him. It is amazing that the passage says that Levi left all, rose up and followed Him. There is a sense that Levi had immediate action with little thought. He seemed to abandon all for the call of Christ. Think of what it took to go from a tax collector with a negative reputation, to a disciple of Jesus Christ. Questions come to mind such as, "How did Levi do that? Did he just quit his job, sell his house or what? Where did He follow Jesus to?" Levi's next steps are right there in the next verse. Verse 29 says that Levi followed Jesus to "his own house." Levi brought Jesus to his own home, so, Levi followed Jesus back home.
The first step to being Jesus' disciple is by becoming His follower at home. Not only does Jesus meet us right where we are, but also Jesus becomes part of where we are. When we come to know Him and follow Him, Jesus leads us back to our own homes. Home is our training ground. It is in our homes that we first speak out about Jesus, so the change in our lives needs to become evident at home first.
Jesus saw Levi and Jesus sees you. Jesus called Levi and Jesus is calling you. Are you willing to answer His call? Are you following Jesus in your home? Levi gave Jesus a great feast. There was preparation and planning for this party as he made a public profession that he was following Jesus' ways, starting immediately. For you today, it may be that you stop watching certain shows or stop saying certain words. It also will mean that you start sharing your faith with your family. Levi is an example of someone with the kind of commitment it takes to follow Jesus. Levi became one of the twelve apostles whose name was changed to Matthew. He was the man who wrote the Book of Matthew, leading many others to follow Christ just like he did.
Our mission is to evangelize the lost and awaken the saved to live empowered lives by the Work of God and His Holy Spirit. Daily Disciples Ministries makes a difference for the kingdom of God by teaching and training believers how to be in God's Word, how to pray and how to walk with Jesus every day, as His daily disciple.
Daily Disciples Ministries, Inc.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

July 5
Today's Reading: Job 30-31; Acts 13:26-52
Today's Thoughts: Peace in Him
These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Most of us would agree that tribulations are very much a part of life. They come at different times for different reasons, but they no doubt come. Do you ever wonder just where the peace is that Jesus was speaking about? How about in your own personal life? Do you have peace in your daily routines? Jesus tells us that we will have tribulation in this world, a definite promise not just a possibility. But our only hope for peace is in Jesus. We must claim this verse as a direct promise from Him. He has overcome the world; therefore, we can overcome those things that try to take our peace by living for Him.
Yet the words sound easier to do than the reality of actually living our lives this way. For me, my life seemed to be much better when I was in control of my circumstances. If I could somehow control the factors that influenced my day, then I could produce the peace I desperately needed. For a long period of time, my day consisted of doing those things that either mattered most to me or to others who expected a level of performance from me. I believed that being in control led to greater stability and less turmoil, a win-win for everyone around me.
There were clues along the way that maybe this way of life was not so great for everyone else around me. One major clue came one night several years ago when my husband asked me if I was okay. Of course, I was okay. Our lives were good. Our marriage was fine, rarely a conflict or cross word. Our jobs were more than sufficient to meet our needs. We were young, owned our own home, had money, and enjoyed many of the world’s amenities. Why was he asking me what was wrong? He began to express his concerns to me about—me. I could not listen to him without becoming defensive. After some discussion, I confessed to him that I often felt like an android, a machine on the inside but normal looking on the outside. Still, I was not ready or willing to accept that maybe I needed to change, that I needed help.
Over time, the Lord has led me to make many, many changes in my life. I was deceived into thinking that I could make my own peace by controlling my circumstances and situations. The changes have come by surrendering my control to Jesus. There is no peace in this world without the Lord. I have known Jesus as my Savior most of my life, but only when I made Him Lord of my life did I begin to know His peace. He left us His peace. May we all let go of our need to be in control and trust Jesus to help us get through all things….both good and bad.
Our mission is to evangelize the lost and awaken the saved to live empowered lives by the Work of God and His Holy Spirit. Daily Disciples Ministries makes a difference for the kingdom of God by teaching and training believers how to be in God's Word, how to pray and how to walk with Jesus every day, as His daily disciple.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 03 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

July 2
Today’s Readings: Job 22-24; Acts 11
Today’s Thoughts: The Promise of God
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27
Today, everyone is looking for peace. We want our desires fulfilled and we think that will bring us happiness. We hear promises of fulfillment on radios, see promises on billboards, become a part of them through television and after hearing these promises enough times, we sing about them and make daily choices because of them. What is the primary message that these slogans promote? The answer, “We’ve got what you need.” Promises, promises! Promises of a fulfilled life, an improved life, a happier life and a more peaceful life suggest that this life is attainable through the things of this world. Commercials promise that you can “have it your way,” “we do it all for you,” “you asked for it, you got it,” and “you deserve it.” But can these promises really be true? And will these products bring us the peace we are all seeking?
Because of the inability to have these promises truly fulfilled from the world, it then seems hard to believe that all the promises from the Lord will come true. Unlike the promises of the world that are conditioned upon our spending money and time to benefit from their product, Jesus has given us the promises of God, which are free. The Lord does require something from us: our trust, belief and obedience. And in return He promises peace to His people. Our attitudes, goals and desires should not depend on the promises of the world, but on the promises of the Word. It’s that peace that makes us different and gives us something that others want. That peace will affect the way we live in our actions, behaviors and attitudes. Acts 10:36says, “You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.” Jesus promises us peace, not from this world, but from Him. His promises are not empty slogans but a way of life: for He is the way, the truth and the life.
Do you need to experience His peace today? If so, begin by asking Jesus to fill you with His loving peace. His promises will never fail you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 01 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

July 1
Today's Reading: Job 20-21; Acts 10:24-48
Today's Thoughts: Face to Face
And it came to pass, when Moses entered the tabernacle, that the pillar of cloud descended and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and the Lord talked with Moses. All the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the tabernacle door, and all the people rose and worshiped, each man in his tent door. So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. Exodus 33:9-11
When I read the verse that says, "the Lord spoke to Moses face to face," I have a longing in my heart to see the Lord like that. What must it have been like to be in such an intimate presence of the Lord? I try to picture in my mind what it looked like when the cloud descended. Regardless of how hard I try, I am sure that my thoughts could never come close to the awesome-nessof such a meeting.
Moses was just a man, no more special than any other person. But God called him for a special purpose and God equipped him for the job. Moses had a tough job leading the children of Israel through the wilderness for forty years. I do not envy his calling, but at times, I have envied his intimacy with the Lord. These feelings of longing and envy; however, cannot remain too long within me because I have God's Spirit living within me. When I desire to be with the Lord in that intimate place of His presence, I can go to Him and be with Him.
I no longer envy Moses because I have my own personal intimacy with the Lord, and so can you. For all who come to Jesus and accept Him as their Savior are sealed with the Promise of His Holy Spirit.
Have you ever longed to be in the presence of the Lord God Almighty? Do you desire to experience Him intimately? Please know that you can find Him. The Bible tells us that if seek the Lord with all of our heart we will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). The keys are in truly seeking Him, waiting on Him, and obeying His words to us. Find a quiet place and commit to just spending that time with the Lord. Start with worshiping Him and coming before Him with an open heart. Keep seeking and keep knocking until you find that sweet place of fellowship. Remember that He is always here for us…we are the ones who are distracted and turn away from Him. Practice His presence every day.

June 30
Today's Reading: Job 17-19; Acts 10:1-23
Today’s Thoughts: Is there freedom in Biblical role of a wife and mother?
Why do so many women fight against submitting to God for sake of our children? I really believe it is related to fear. We hear the stories of God’s faithfulness after some tragedy. But, we do not wish to live through the tragedy to get to the “God be the glory” testimony. It is as if we do not love and trust in the God who we teach our children to love and trust. Sometimes it has been difficult to discern if my motherly convictions were founded in fear instead of faith. I had a huge lesson to learn about His love ruling in my life.
It started with my friend asking me if my 4th grade son could attend camp with her son in the summer. I immediately told her no; I was not sending Robby to camp. Although I ended the conversation quickly, I could not dismiss the idea.
When my husband came home, I said, “Kim asked if Robby could go to camp with Nate. NO! Right?” Slowly and calmly, my husband replied, “Robby does not need to go to camp for Robby. But it would be good for Robby to go to camp for you.” I immediately thought, “Oh no, I have to pray about this now.” Waiting for an opportune quiet moment to shut the bedroom door and allow myself time to mediate, I climbed on the bed and prayed, “Lord, it does not seem necessary to send Robby to camp but I also do not want to make decisions based out of fear. Please help me.” I waited and listened. Opening the Bible, my eyes fixed on Ezra 7:10, “For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the LORD and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel.” I prayed this passage frequently, asking the Lord to fulfill these words with me. “Lord, why does Ezra 7:10 seem like it is in bold print right now? What’s up with my life verse in Ezra?”
The name Ezra means help. I too want to help others know the Lord better. In the stillness of my heart, I knew that I desired to be an Ezra in other people’s lives, but I did not want anyone to be an Ezra in my son’s life. To have all the spiritual responsibility placed upon myself for my children is a burden I suddenly realized I did not want to carry alone. The Lord wanted a change of heart for me to allow others to participate in my children’s spiritual wellbeing. “Oh no, Robby’s going to camp.” It was a huge step of obedience and I admit that fear still stirred within me. However, it seemed that the word of God spoke louder than my own mind. Robby packed his bags and we headed to Indian Hills Youth Camp in Jamul.
My first mission was to find Robby’s counselor because I had a few things I needed to say. I was directed to the young man standing under the tent, alone. Perfect! I needed to explain to him that Robby had never been to camp. After several minutes of rambling, I realized that we had not been introduced. I paused, looked him in the eyes and said, “I am sorry. My name is Tonilee Adamson. What is your name?” Without hesitating, he said “My name is Ezra.” The heavens parted and the angels were smiling as I turned to my husband and said, “We need to leave NOW.” No more instructions, no more worries, no more words. We kissed Robby and headed home.
I had just one thought all week: “Did his mother name him Ezra?” When I picked up Robby, I asked him to take me to his counselor to ask him, “Is Ezra your real name?” This 20-something young man said to me, “No, it is my camp name. My life verse is Ezra 7:10. I asked the Lord to allow me to be an Ezra in the kids’ lives as I minister this summer.” I stared at him as tears began to well up and said, “Me TOO!” We exchanged a few more words and I left thanking and praising God for His amazing ability to hear, act and use His words to expand my mind and soften my heart to receive so much amazing blessing.
There are many non-Christian women who are great mothers. Women do not need the filling of the Holy Spirit to follow the desires to love, teach and train their children. However, to teach and train a child in the ways that they should go for their children’s best interest long term does require a submitted life to the Lord. We do not stand before God someday for the choices our children have made. Instead we stand before God alone for the choices we have made. When a woman seeks the counsel of the Lord and obeys, others are blessed. The problem comes when we interpret our own thoughts to be the Lord’s will. By asking, seeking and knocking through the daily circumstances and choices of life, we will find freedom in following the Lord’s ways. Seasons of life change but the Lord is faithful. I have come to realize that when I desire to hear the Lord’s voice louder than I want Him to hear mine then I have peace to change and do things His way over my own. God has brought the best “helper” to each of us. We do find freedom when seeking His help above all others.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

June 29
Today’s Readings: Job 14-16; Acts 9:22-43
Today’s Thoughts: Grief of Mind
When Esau was forty years old, he took as wives Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Basemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite. And they were a grief of mind to Isaac and Rebekah. Genesis 26:34-35
Do you have relationships in your life that are "a grief of mind"? Think about those people who really challenge your thoughts. It is as if you just cannot get along with them no matter how hard you try and you cannot accept who they are or what they do no matter how much you pray. However, for some reason, you cannot escape the relationship either. These people quench our peace and rob us of joy. Why can we not just live life without personality conflicts?
The answer has to do with the two greatest commandments. We must love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, souls and strength and we must also love others as ourselves. Jesus says in Luke 6:32-36 that, if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.
God wants us to learn mercy, kindness, thankfulness and love. We cannot love God with everything we have and then not love others. We can have people in life that are a grief of mind but God desires that we learn to love with His heart, touch with His hands and see through His eyes. We can only do that through a dependency on the Lord through His Holy Spirit. God wants us to be more like Him and He can change us if we work with Him through all this.
To overcome these personal conflicts, try stepping back from the issues and pray that you can have a discernment to change the dynamics of the relationship. That person may not ever change but you can. Be proactive in prayer if you know that you will be interacting with that person and ask the Lord to check your spirit before you act out in the flesh. Slowly but surely, you will begin to have victory and God will receive the glory.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

June 28
Today’s Reading: Job 11-13; Acts 9:1-21
Today’s Thoughts: The Work Never Ends
The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. For this reason, the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But He answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working." John 5:15-17
Jesus does not ever stop working with us or on us. At the time of Christ, the religious leaders were angry with Jesus for making a sick man well on the Sabbath. They exclaimed that Jesus had no right to do such a thing on the Sabbath. To us, this statement does not make sense. God is good and He can choose to be good whenever and on whoever He wants.
Jesus showed us a quality of God's character that the Jewish religious men did not represent due to their self-righteousness. Jesus is "God with us." Through His Holy Spirit, Jesus is now "God in us." So God is continually working on us, and in us, despite the day or circumstance at hand. God's desire is that we be whole and healthy. Jesus came to break the bonds of sin and habits that keep us captive; behaviors that do not bring glory to God, but keep us focused on ourselves. Jesus is continually working on and in us and He is never in a rush. God is too gracious and merciful to bombard us with attempts to change all the areas in which we fall short all at once.
Trust Him for your shortcomings; sometimes we are our own worse critics. Recognize that God is not always worried about, or surprised by, or in a rush to fix some of the weaknesses which concern us so much. We need to be honest, be open and be willing to be obedient. The Lord will be faithful to complete the work He began, because Jesus is always working.

June 27
Today’s Reading: Job 8-10; Acts 8:26-40
Today’s Thoughts: God’s Time
But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3:8
Time is an amazing concept. We can only understand time by how we experience it and how it applies to our lives. Our lives revolve around a 24 hour day, 7 day week, 4 week month, and 12 month year, give or take a few days. We measure time in increments by celebrating markers such as birthdays, holidays, and anniversaries. We discuss time in terms of how fast or how slow it passes. We know that time is moving but we cannot see it, so we watch the sun rise and set, and we keep track of time with our watches and clocks. Our entire life is one constant span of time, uniquely purposed by God for each one of us.
Peter writes to tell us one more truth about time: God's idea of time is not the same as ours. We understand time as a constant, linear progression but God sees time without boundaries, limits or schedules. Can you imagine one day being as a thousand years, or vice versa? The Lord's definition of time does not fit into our neat box of calendars, clocks and sunsets..
As Christians, we must learn to live in God's timeline. We must surrender to His timing in all things. And we must be careful not to think that we have control over time, even our own. 2 Peter 3:10 says it best: But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. There is a day coming when this earth will burn and those of us in Christ will be safe with Him. For those not in Christ, they will spend eternity forever separated from Him in a terrible place called Hell. God is waiting even now just for one more person to come to Him, before it is too late. One day could take a thousand years to complete, or a thousand years could be as one day, and then time is up. Is there time for one more person to come to Jesus? Only God knows; and that is why our time here on earth is precious.
Maybe you know someone who needs to come to Jesus. Maybe the Lord has been telling you to share His message with them, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Maybe time is running out and this may be their last chance. Do not let time pass by carelessly. One day the Lord will say to Jesus that time is up for people on earth. Are you ready for that time?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

June 26
Today’s Reading: Job 5-7; Acts 8:1-25
Today’s Thoughts: Integrity and Character
"No, my lord, hear me: I give you the field and the cave that is in it; I give it to you in the presence of the sons of my people. I give it to you. Bury your dead!" Then Abraham bowed himself down before the people of the land; and he spoke to Ephron in the hearing of the people of the land, saying, "If you will give it, please hear me. I will give you money for the field; take it from me and I will bury my dead there." And Ephron answered Abraham, saying to him, "My lord, listen to me; the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver. What is that between you and me? So bury your dead." Genesis 23:11-15
When Sarah died in Hebron in the land of Canaan, Abraham went to the sons of Heth (the people who lived in the land) and requested a burial place. Abraham acknowledged that he was a foreigner in their land and humbled himself by bowing before these men to ask his petition. They, in turn, honored Abraham by calling him a prince and instructing him to take the choicest piece of land for his burial. They wanted him to take it for free but Abraham insisted on paying the fair price for the land. After much debate back and forth, an amount of 400 shekels of silver was given as the land value and Abraham gladly paid it.
Abraham was obviously a man of integrity. He was respected and honored among the people living in Canaan, even though he was considered a foreigner in their land. At this time, Abraham's descendants were yet to come. He was living in the faith of the promise from God that one day his descendants would live freely in this land of Canaan, the Promise Land. But instead of flaunting his heritage, he humbled himself and honored the current residents by insisting on paying his fair share for a burial place. In return, his integrity and character were perceived even greater in the eyes of these people. God blessed Abraham for his faith and obedience.
Our integrity is often tested through our finances. How we handle our money is a true sign of our character and it seems that Christians are under the spotlight more than others. By paying for the land, Abraham was not under obligation to the landowners. When in debt, we are obligated to the lenders. When in debt, it is hard to make wise choices because our need for money can overshadow the right decision. Pray about your finances and ask the Lord to guide you in all decisions regarding money, even in issues of debt. Integrity and character are far more valuable.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

June 25
Today's Reading: Job 3-4; Acts 7:44-60
Today's Thoughts: Love Covers a Multitude of Sin
Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not charge them with this sin." And when he had said this, he fell asleep. Acts 7:60
Stephen was a man described as being "full of faith and power, [doing] great wonders and signs among the people" (Acts 6:8). He had been selected by Peter and the other disciples as one of seven to whom they would entrust certain ministerial duties, while preaching about Jesus. It was not long before Stephen found himself in the center of controversy, standing before the powerful Sanhedrin Council personally to account for his zealous activities for Christ. Today's verse records the last words that Stephen would speak as he is being stoned to death by the people. Stephen's prayer is similar to Jesus' prayer in Luke 23:34 as Jesus said from the cross, "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do."
Stephen had a love for the people that only comes from the Father. He was not only filled with faith and power but also with love because he had the Holy Spirit living within him. As the people gathered to stone Stephen, they lay their garments at the feet of a man named Saul. Saul became the Apostle Paul, the one who brought the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles. As Saul stood in agreement to kill Stephen, Stephen asks the Lord to forgive them all (including Saul). Did Stephen have any idea that God would greatly use Saul (who would later become the Apostle Paul)? Not at this point, but his love would cover a multitude of sins and God knew how it would all work out.
As Christians, we know that we are supposed to love and to forgive those who sin against us, but truly doing that in our hearts does not come easy for any one of us. The Holy Spirit is the One who fills us with God's love and only God's love can forgive those who hurt or betray us. Instead of waiting until something happens to us personally, we need to be proactive and to ask for the love of Christ to fill us to overflowing. Love is not something to take for granted. Love is something we must pursue. Pursue love today and consciously make it part of your prayers. Ask the Lord to give you a love for Jesus and for His people that surpasses understanding. For Jesus loves us so much that He is still asking the Father to forgive us our sins.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

June 24
Today's Reading: Job 1-2; Acts 7:22-43
Today's Thoughts: Friends’ Advice
Now when Job's three friends heard of all this adversity that had come upon him, each one came from his own place—Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite. For they had made an appointment together to come and mourn with him, and to comfort him. And when they raised their eyes from afar, and did not recognize him, they lifted their voices and wept; and each one tore his robe and sprinkled dust on his head toward heaven. So they sat down with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his grief was very great. Job 2:11-13
Job's friends had obviously been getting reports as to what was happening to him, and at some point decided to come and see for themselves what was going on. He was so severely disfigured that his three friends did not recognize him. These friends came with the purpose to "mourn with him, and to comfort him." But if you continue reading the rest of the book of Job, you will see more criticism than compassion is given by these friends. They each used their own wisdom in giving Job advice and counsel; but their counsel is not of the Lord, it is of themselves. They do not know or understand God's ways. They ended up being anything but comforting to Job, as Job had to defend his own actions and beliefs to them. In the end, God restored Job double what he originally had, and Job was granted an amazing insight into just how glorious and holy God is. As for these three friends, it was Job himself who prayed on their behalf so that God would pardon their sins against him. They may have thought they were helping Job, but in reality they were sinning against him, and God was watching.
God is always watching us too. Sometimes God sets up circumstances just to see how we will respond. Will we turn from the Lord or will we worship Him? People around us will always have an opinion. Some of these people will be true friends who try to help. God is watching them as well. As Christians, we will find ourselves at times on both sides. When life's trials and afflictions hit us, we may feel like Job, and all we can really do is to continue to trust the Lord, to cry out to Him and to worship Him through it all. If we are watching a friend go through a difficult trial, then we must pray for the wisdom on how to help them. It is not our place to give them our personal counsel or guidance. Our role as their friend is to intercede in prayer for them and to help them in the ways that God leads us. We need to provide compassion and love, just as Jesus does to us. We need to remember that God is watching how we will respond in both situations. We must trust the Lord, seek His counsel, and wait upon Him. For in the end, God is the only One who can truly restore us.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm

June 23
Today’s Reading: Esther 9-10; Acts 7:1-21
Today’s Thoughts: Looking for Love
And we have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 1 John 4:16
There is a chorus of a song that says, "Looking for love in all the wrong places, looking for love in too many faces." Funny how true that is. We each have an innate desire to be loved and accepted just the way we are. We long for others to be kind, caring and selfless. We look for this kind of love from our families, friends and even neighbors, believing that we are giving this kind of love so others should give it back. However, the harder we look and the more we seek, the more discouraged and heartbroken we become. Why? Because we are looking for love in all the wrong places and in too many faces.
God is love. Love comes from God. If we are going to talk about love, look for love and try to love others, we need to learn from the Creator of love. Jesus said in John 15:13, "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus laid down His life for us. He was willing to take on the form of a man and then lower Himself to the role of a servant to express His perfect love. The right place to look for love is at the cross and the only "face" that truly expresses love is Jesus'.
Jesus loves you. There is nothing you can do to receive more of His love and there is no sin so great that you can lessen His love for you. His love is constant. It is funny that we look for love, but when we find it, it is a hard thing to accept. Ask the Lord to open your heart today to be able to receive His love for you. Rest in His love and seek His face. Fill that void in your heart by knowing the true essence of Love. Then, instead of your looking for love in the faces of others, others will find it when they see Christ reflected in yours.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:24 pm

June 22
Today’s Reading: Esther 6-8; Acts 6
Today’s Thoughts: Not to be Passed Over
Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ. Jude 1
The book of Jude is small, containing only 25 verses, and is positioned between the three letters of John (First, Second and Third epistles) and Revelation, the last book of the Bible. Jude writes his letter to the church exhorting them to beware of the false teachers who are corrupting the people. Jude covers much interesting territory in his short letter; he writes of the supernatural realm and the Archangel Michael, and then brings us back into the Old Testament with Enoch, the seventh from Adam. It is a great book, packed with a powerful message to all of us believers today.
Sometimes in Scripture, I think we pass over some of the most powerful words in verses that we take for granted. For example, today's verse is the opening introduction to Jude. It identifies the author as a bondservant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, and then it addresses the reader. This introductory point can often be overlooked, but I want to focus on how "those" (the reader) are described. "To those who are called, sanctifiedby God the Father, and preservedin Jesus Christ." Those who are called are the first ones addressed. Called means appointed or invited. We have been invited to receive Jesus Christ as Savior. We were appointed for this invitation even before the world was formed (Romans 8:29-30).
Next are those who are sanctified. Sanctified means holy, purified and set apart by God. We are made holy when we receive Jesus as Savior and we are set apart from those who do not believe. Finally, those who are preserved are preserved in Christ. The root of this word in the Greek actually means to watch or keep an eye on. We are being watched and kept an eye on by Jesus Himself. As Christians, we are called for the purposes of God, we are sanctified and set apart by Him for His purposes, and we are preserved by His Son who watches over us and keeps us in His care.
What awesome comfort this verse should bring to all of us today! There is so much to glean from these words. Write it down and really pray over it as to what God is saying to you personally. Maybe you did not know that this verse was written just for you. Take time to study this short book and ask the Lord to teach you His word. And remember, even the introductions are packed with power. Do not skip over any part.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

June 21
Today’s Reading: Esther 3-5; Acts 5:22-42
Today’s Thoughts: Hearing the Word of God
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17
The Bible is clear in its teachings on faith. Faith is essential to our salvation. If we do not have faith to believe in Jesus Christ, then we cannot receive Him as Savior. It takes faith to believe in God. Believing in God through our faith is the victory that has overcome the world (1 John 5:4). Jesus says in Matthew 17:20 that with faith we can move mountains and that nothing will be impossible for us. The power of God's Holy Spirit lives within each believer; but do we live as if we believe it? Not without faith.
How do we get more faith? First of all, faith is given to each of us as a gift. Everyone has faith. But we can have more faith in the things of the world than in the things of God. We have faith that the sun will rise and set each day, even though we have no way of controlling its movements; we just trust that it will continue to work the way it always has. But we need to grow in trusting the One who makes the sun rise and set, the One who put it there in the first place. Therefore, our first step in gaining more faith is by getting to know more about our God, our Lord, our Creator. And the way to obtain knowledge of God is by getting into His word.
I love today's verse because it tells us to hear the word of God. Did you know that when you start reading His Word, you will start hearing His voice? When you start hearing His voice through His Word, then you will see His intervention in all areas of your life. You will pray in accordance with His will because you will know where He is leading you. You will see God answer your prayers. And the end result: more faith! Take a moment to ask the Lord to help you in your faith by helping you hear His Word. Ask for more of Him, more of His Word in your life—more faith.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:24 pm

June 20
Today’s Reading: Esther 1-2; Acts 5:1-21
Today’s Thoughts: True Love
Your glorying is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? 1 Corinthians 5:6
A few years ago as I attended a church retreat, I sat at lunch with ladies I did not know. The woman in charge opened with prayer and then introduced an icebreaker to share around the tables. The question was: "What do you think true love is?" Six out of the eight of us at my table said that love is unconditional acceptance. Their definition included the ability to accept people right where they are, no matter what they look like or what they do. The seventh woman said that she thought love was telling people the truth about sin and where sin leads them. I heard the others snicker at her answer. However, according to Paul's statement in First Corinthians 5:6, only one in seven got the right answer.
The Corinthian church was accepting sinful behavior from a church couple and glorying in their ability to do so. Paul is saying that this is not good; this is not love and they should not be proud of themselves for accepting this couple’s behavior. Often we get confused of what love really is when judging others' sins. We do not want to judge others because we ourselves want to be accepted for our imperfections. So we say that acceptance of sin is love. Jesus says in John 8:32, "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." The truth is that sin destroys. The truth is that the wages of sin is death. If we truly love others, we do not want to see them destroyed by choices that the Bible calls sin. Paul then takes it a step further by saying that the consequences of accepting this sin of sexual immorality will permeate the whole church and will destroy the whole fellowship of believers.Why? Because this acceptance allows people to sin instead of helping them to overcome it. It demonstrates the wrong standards of love, sin and the ways of God.
Our choices and behaviors really do impact others, just as a little bit of leaven makes the whole lump rise. We have to know the Word of God so we can love others according to God's standards. True love speaks out with kindness and compassion, not allowing others to destroy themselves.

June 19
Today’s Readings: Nehemiah 12-13; Acts 4:23-37
Today’s Thoughts: A Great Power
And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. Acts 4:33
When the disciples were left alone as Jesus ascended into heaven, a new beginning was just around the corner. Jesus told them to go to Jerusalem and wait for the Promise. That Promise came on the day of Pentecost, a day that would change their lives forever. God's Holy Spirit came upon them with sounds of a mighty wind that came from heaven, a demonstration of supernatural power. Tongues of fire were then dispersed on ("sat on") each person (Acts 2:1-4). This event made it very clear that something amazing and indescribable was taking place amongst these people. In the days that followed, this small group of believers came together in one accord, knowing that they had been given gifts from the Lord, and that they had been called to witness to the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The first gift given involved "great power" as the apostles zealously told of their knowledge and personal experience of who Jesus Christ was and what He had done. The second gift, however, is one we sometimes take for granted but it is extremely crucial to the first one: "great grace." They were not only granted power but also they were given great grace. Without grace, they could not go forth and do what they were called to do. The same is true for us today. We may have gifts, callings, knowledge, experience and all of the right answers, but without grace, we will not get very far in our service or our usefulness to God. Why? Because we will be taken out by our own thoughts and behaviors as human beings. We become too aware of our weaknesses and we try to overcome them in our own strength. We cannot control condemning thoughts of the enemy who tells us we are not worthy. We lose faith, hope and the eternal perspective because our focus shifts to ourselves. Grace, however, steps in and says that the Lord has granted us unmerited favor in His sight. He chose us. He loved us first. He called us to do His work. He gifted us for His purposes. Not of us, but of Him, by His grace.
Grace must accompany power in your life today. Grace must be connected to your faith. Take time today and look up verses on "grace." Use your Bible concordance and spend some time reading about grace. Make a study of it and take your time, even over several days. Let the Lord minister to you through His Word. If you are suffering or struggling, you need to approach His throne of grace with boldness and receive His mercy today (Hebrews 4:16). And even though we are not worthy, the Lord still uses us by giving us the gifts and grace to minister for Him and by Him and in Him. You will be blessed!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

June 18
Today’s Reading: Nehemiah 10-11; Acts 4:1-22
Today’s Thoughts: Who is God to you?
If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? John 3:12
Do you ever think you can figure God out? I mean, there are certain prayers that He should answer just the way you asked it. After all, I am his child and He only desires what’s best for me and I know what’s best. So I give God options of how He should answer my prayers. And through the years, I have noticed common themes of how I pray. My prayers always include peace, joy, comfort, safety, ease, love and happiness—or making all of the green lights. But my prayers never include things that bring pain, suffering, confusion, hurt or tears. Don’t we all tend to pray for the good things because that is what is best for us?
There is a modern day parable about a man during a flood. He prayed, “God, protect me. I have faithfully served You for all these years and You have always kept me safe in this house.” What he was really praying was, “Save me my way.” Well, the rains came down and the water rose and rose. Radio warnings were blaring to evacuate homes. His neighbors all left. He didn’t, he just kept praying. A county sheriff came by and said, “Hey, leave!” but he said, “No, I know the Lord will protect me and I’m staying in this house.” The water got higher and this time, the Coast Guard came out. But the man still refused to go. As the water rose, the man sat on his roof, determined not to leave his home. A helicopter came by and said, “Sir please come with me, I’m here to save you.” The man said, “No, only God will save me and I’m staying.” Well, the man drowned and now, he is standing in heaven. The man said to God, “What happened? I thought you were going to save me.” God responded, “Well, I sent the police, a boat and helicopter. What else did you want?”
This man’s concept of what God should do for him and what God would do for him was very different. He didn’t like God’s options. Sometimes what we want God’s will to be for us, and what it really is, brings us conflict. We want to serve God our way, please God our way and live for God our way. God says He protects us, so we expect protection to come our way too. Today, submit to the Lord’s leading in your life. He knows what is best. Ask the Lord to make you sensitive to His will and that you can be willing to do things His way. The end result just might reveal heavenly things to you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

June 17
Today's Reading: Nehemiah 7-9; Acts 3
Today's Thoughts: Learn From Him
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you. Psalm 32:8-9
We have all we need when we truly understand what God has provided for us through His Holy Spirit. Many times we run to our families, friends and counselors for instruction or guidance. Many times we search horizontally for guidance when the Lord in His mercy and grace has told us to come to Him. By learning from Him, we can avoid a lot of unnecessary hurts, sins and problems.
There was a long period of time when my mother and I were inseparable. We spent our days together and truly enjoyed each other’s fellowship. One day, the Lord spoke so clearly to me that He desired to change the relationship. We have similar gifts and callings, and His desire was for us to minister to others, not just to each other. Instead of trusting the Lord, I told Him that I couldn’t do it and He would have to do it. Two years later, the Lord did intervene and our relationship changed. Both of us were very hurt and both of us needed to cling to the Lord each day to learn a new way of life. In the midst of that change, the Lord gave me this verse to hold on to. I knew that I would need counsel and instruction. I did not want to run to a new friend to fill the void and I did not want to sin against the Lord during this time of very uncomfortable change because I had known this was His will for years.
The Lord did do a new work in both of us. She and I are in separate ministries, teaching the gospel of Christ. God had His way. We both struggled to let each other go, but in the depths of our hearts we have seen good fruit, eternal fruit, by submitting to God. If you are struggling with a relationship of which you know God is speaking to you about, trust Him. Come to Him for instruction and counsel. He will give you the desires of your heart if you truly turn to Him. Change is scary but the Lord promises to watch over you, lead you and help you as you chose to come to Him. He will fill that void. In His council, you will receive peace and in time, He will give you understanding.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:47 pm

June 16
Today's Reading: Nehemiah 4-6; Acts 2:22-47
Today's Thoughts: Miracles
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.” John 14:12
Does God work miracles today, or did all miracles cease with the last of the apostles? This is a question that has occupied theologians for many years. I counter with my own question: "Is God dead?" A miracle is a supernatural happening. If God is still alive and still working, then there will be supernatural happenings. Therefore, the days of miracles cannot be over.
Salvation is a miracle. The rich young ruler, who came to Jesus seeking the way of salvation, finally went away sorrowful. Jesus turned to His disciples and said, "It is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." The puzzled disciples replied, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus answered, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:23-26).
If a miracle is achieving something that is humanly impossible, then salvation is a miracle because it is humanly impossible for man or woman to save himself or herself. So to say that the days of miracles are over would be to deny that people can be saved today. Let’s thank God that the days of miracles are not over; He is still in the business of working miracles.
Do you believe that God is the same today, yesterday and forever? If so, then pray for the impossible and believe that Jesus is still working miracles today. Put your faith in action and ask the Lord to use you in amazing ways.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

June 15
Today's Reading: Nehemiah 1-3; Acts 2:1-21
Today’s Thoughts: The Power of Twos
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
A few summers ago, we wrote a Bible study on the Book of Ezra. I learned a lot like the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah used to be Ezra 1 and Ezra 2. These two men worked together for God’s common purposes. Ezra is not just about these two men though. There are multiple twos: Zerubbabel and Jeshua (Ch 3 & 4) and Haggai and Zechariah (Ch 5 & 6). There are 3 sets of twos. This pairing is carried over to the New Testament as Jesus sent the disciples out by twos. How come we do not seem to promote the “twos” today? Husband and wife couples very promoted. There is a very popular church who believes that the husband’s calling is carried over to the wife (like a dual anointing). But after studying the book of Ezra, Moses & Aaron, Elijah & Elisha, Ruth & Naomi, we cannot biblically conclude that God has established husband and wife anointing only. Even in the New Testament, the example of couples in ministry like Priscilla and Aquila being good equalized out the couple of Ananias and Sapphira who represent the bad.
So, how come we do not see other groups coming together for the purposes of God? Pulling from my own experience, I really think because it is just plain hard. We already have spouses, children, obligations, extended families, neighbors and churches that our relationship box is maxed out. As I remember back 9 years ago, I said to a friend of mine, “I need a prayer partner that does not get too close. I am already maxed out with my family and my friends. I just need someone who is objective to pray with me and for me without any additional commitment or requirement on my part.” When I prayed about that person, the Lord brought Bobbye to mind. She is totally different than me and we don’t cross any of the same paths. Little did I know that God had a major plan for two women who were willing to pray together and be committed to Him more than to ourselves. Is it hard? Yes but with time, it gets easier.
Let’s get back to praying together, witnessing together, working together so the Lord may be glorified. We are put on this earth to be united for His purposes today like Ezra and Nehemiah were in the past.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

June 14
Today's Reading: Ezra 9-10; Acts 1
Today's Thoughts: Times and Seasons
And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority. Acts 1:7
A close friend of mine was recruited to go to Iraq. The Navy told him that he would be in Iraq from six to eight months. He communicated with us via email and it was evident from his emails that it did not matter how long the Navy said he would be there, he was taking each day as it came—praying that another day would come for him. There were days that he was not sure if he would make it.
We think that knowing the dates, times and seasons would help us to focus. Jesus instructed us that it is not for us to know those things. If the disciples knew that Jesus would not return until after 2000 years, I am sure their focus and convictions would have been different.
For my friend, his focus could not be fixed on staying alive to return to his family. Instead, he said that he focused on the tasks that he was equipped to do for the Navy and for the purposes of Americans. The times and seasons did not matter as much as his focus for the day. That is what Jesus is asking of us today. Live a life that is fixed on Jesus each day. He has equipped us through His Spirit and asked us to do a work for the purposes of God. Those purposes include prayer, fellowship, reading the Word and loving others. It does not matter when He will return if we stay busy with the things He has asked us to do until He returns.
My friend was in Iraq for exactly seven months. The Navy told him one afternoon that he would be leaving for home that night. No advanced notice, no time to call home—just time to go. Jesus' return for us will be the same. It is not about the times or seasons but about each day. Pray that you can keep your eyes fixed on the Author and Finisher of your faith, knowing that at any day, we will soon be going home to Him too.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

June 13
Today's Reading: Ezra 6-8; John 21
Today's Thoughts: More Than Imaginable
And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. John 21:25
Verse 25 is the last verse in the Gospel of John, and what a great way to end this wonderful book. John is basically saying that it would be impossible to record every single one of the "things" that Jesus did while here on earth. John only knew Jesus for three years! My mind struggles to comprehend such amazing works but my heart rejoices in knowing that Jesus is that awesome. Jesus spent three years in full-time ministry, and from studying the Gospels, it is clear that He was all about His Father's business. Jesus spent His time doing the things He was sent to do. Jesus is our only true example of living a life sold out to God. Everything He did had one main purpose: to glorify His Father. One cannot glorify God and live a selfish life at the same time.
Often people will ask us questions that involve God's will for their lives; they want to know how to be used by God, they want to make sure that they are doing His will and pleasing Him. How can they be sure they are doing all God wants? We hear these questions and concerns frequently from people who truly desire to fulfill the calling God has on their lives. Many times, however, people are looking for a more awe-inspiring, spiritual answer than we can give. The answers are all in the Bible. God's Word is our living handbook for how to please God and live for Him. Once we learn of His ways, then we begin to learn how to apply His ways to our lives. Just studying the Gospel of John gives us more revelations of who Jesus is and what He did than we can even fully grasp. The world could not contain the books it would take to write everything down. Think about the magnitude of that statement.
For us today, there are a couple of things we need to take from this verse. First and foremost, we must know that Jesus was and is God. He was not just a good man who had a powerful ministry. No man could do what He did. Only God could do miracles beyond what the world could even record. Secondly, for us to do the things God has called us to while here on earth, we must learn from our Teacher. Jesus demonstrated for us how to live a life completely sold out to God. And He has given us His Holy Spirit to teach, lead and guide us today to live a life pleasing to God and in the center of His will. Start reading the Gospel of John today and commit to reading it from beginning to end. You will begin to get a greater understanding of what verse 25 is really saying. Pray that you fall in love with the Lord Jesus and that you glorify His name with your life.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:25 pm

June 12
Today's Reading: Ezra 3-5; John 20
Today's Thoughts: The Power of Prayer
Then the prophet Haggai and Zechariah the son of Iddo, prophets, prophesied to the Jews who were in Judah and Jerusalem, in the name of the God of Israel, who was over them. So Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel and Jeshua the son of Jozadak rose up and began to build the house of God which is in Jerusalem; and the prophets of God were with them, helping them. Ezra 5:1-2
The Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus, king of Persia, to send some of the Jews out of Babylon and back to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple. “Then the heads of the fathers' houses of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests and the Levites, with all whose spirits God had moved, arose to go up and build the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem” (Ezra 1:5). But once they arrived, adversaries rose up against them and many threats and distractions were used to thwart their work. How often do we encounter such distractions when trying to do God’s work? Our adversary prowls about seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8) and doing whatever he can to stop our progress in the Lord.
What the people needed, God provided. Zerubbabel and Jeshua needed support and strength. They got it from the prophets whom God raised up to help them. Haggai and Zechariah prophesied in the name of the God of Israel with His power on their lips, a power that brought the others back to work. For us, that power is in the prayers of others. We have the Holy Spirit and God’s Word to strengthen and sustain us. But, we also need prayer intercessors in those times when we feel weak and worn out, especially when the adversary seems to be coming after us.
Take time today and pray for those you know who are working for the things of God. Leadership and ministerial Christians are often on the front lines of battle where distractions are constantly interfering in their lives. Pray for them. If you are one of those on that battle line, do not hesitate to ask for prayer when you feel weak and weary. We have Jesus. We have His Word and we have His Holy Spirit, but He has also given us His body of believers to lift each other up in times of trouble. Prayer is a tool we need to use everyday—not only for ourselves, but also especially for those on the spiritual frontlines.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

June 11
Today’s Reading: Ezra 1-2; John 19:23-42
Today’s Thoughts: A Humble Heart and Willing Spirit
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. Matthew 18:21-22
So many factors are involved in someone sinning against another. Many times, the thoughts and motives of the one who sinned are not as clear as the reaction of the person who was sinned against. Conflict is hard. Conflict takes a toll on both parties. Defensiveness goes up and trust goes down. Both parties though, the one who needs to forgive and the person who needs to ask for forgiveness, have their share of difficulties. The one who would forgive, deals with skepticism. They hope for real change this time, and deal with thoughts such as, "I hope this is the last time you need to ask forgiveness. I hope this time it works for good. By choosing to forgive you, I may just get hurt again." But the person who continually asks for forgiveness is also in a difficult situation. When we sincerely confess our sin to another, we have to admit to ourselves that we have hurt someone else as a result of our behavior or words. To ask forgiveness repeatedly is to admit that we do not have the ability or power to change that trait in us. So to ask sincerely means that we need to keep seeking ways to change. After a while, it is natural in the flesh to justify and rationalize the sinful behavior instead of continually trying to change. That is why Jesus takes both sides. If someone is repeatedly willing to ask forgiveness, sincerely looking for help, then we need to be willing repeatedly to restore that person back.
I am thankful for Jesus' teaching because I know that He lives by His own teaching. We sin against Him more than anyone else. If we are repentant, He is willing to forgive us - over and over and over again. We have to pray that our hearts remain soft enough to keep asking for forgiveness. His mercies are new every morning, probably because we use up all His mercy the day before.
If you need to ask forgiveness from someone, ask the Lord to give you a humble heart and a spirit willing to change. If you are being asked to forgive, ask the Lord to help you look to Him to help restore the person back in your heart without bitterness. The Lord will help you. He is on both sides. Let us pray that we keep His focus and His heart during the conflicts, and not our own.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

June 10
Today's Reading: 2 Chronicles 34-36; John 19:1-22
Today's Thoughts: Letting Go Is Hard
I am the LORD your God. You shall have no other gods before Me.
Exodus 20:2-3
Corrie Ten Boom once said that she learned to hold on to things loosely because it hurt too much when God pried them away. There are many things in our life that we get attached to: our work becomes our identity, our homes become our personality, our children become our goals. Sometimes it is hard to know who we were before these things came in and took over our lives. Where do I end and these things begin? When God challenges us on our priorities, it is difficult to truly understand what He is doing.
Because I work in the ministry, it gets confusing at times to separate my walk with the Lord from my work in the Lord. Recently, I have fallen in love with the plans of a ministry that truly helps people and honors God. I received His promises and His revelation of how to get the ministry started. Then, out of the blue, I had the sense that He wanted me to give the ministry to someone else to do. He used me to get the ministry going, but now He wanted me to let it go and not feel that I must do the work for Him. It was hard to let go because that ministry had become a key part of my life. How do you let go of something that God placed in your heart to do, so that you can honor God by not doing it?
We have to remember that nothing is ours. We are just stewards entrusted with the Master's gifts. Our calling is to be obedient. Our hearts are to have nothing above Him, including His ministries. We are to align ourselves up with Jesus, to rest at His feet and to have a relationship with Him. Jesus wants you, not what you can do.
Lord, thank You that You don't want my attention divided. I am sorry that I fall in love with the work to a point of missing Your will. Help me to walk in Your paths and stay in step with Your call. You have given me everything I have and I give them back to You. Be glorified in me. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:13 pm

June 9
Today’s Readings: 2 Chronicles 32-33; John 18:19-40
Today’s Thoughts: The Arm of Flesh
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him. With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the LORD our God to help us and to fight our battles." 2 Chronicles 32:7-8
Hezekiah was a king who helped focus God’s people back to the pure and true worship of God. He restored the temple, tore down the high places built to other gods, reinstated God’s feasts and celebrations and was known as a king who led people to celebrate the one and only true God. But now, another nation came up to war against him. Hezekiah knew that this other king had the strength and ability to overcome the Israelites in battle. This king also caused a lot of conflicts for King Hezekiah.
Hezekiah could have just surrendered to the fear caused by the tactics and overconfidence of the king of Assyria but he didn’t. Instead, Hezekiah started building up his military defenses, working hard on repairing broken parts of the walls around the city and making more weapons. Then he spoke the words of these verses that encouraged the people. These words, however, were not just bursts of intimidation as with the king of Assyria, but came from a heart of passion and purpose from the Lord. By verse 20 of the story, Hezekiah and the prophet Isaiah were crying out to the Lord, knowing that He has the power to fight the battle for them. And He did. Verse 22 says, “So the LORD saved Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem from the hand of Sennacherib king of Assyria and from the hand of all others. He took care of them on every side.”
We worship a God who takes care of us on every side. It was good that Hezekiah prepared for battle, but it was better that Hezekiah prepared His heart to turn to the Lord. The arm of flesh is limited. We need to be prepared to fight as we use the weapons God has given us. The strongest weapon is a tender heart that knows the Scriptures and how to turn to the Lord on our knees. No battle is too great for the Lord.
If you are in a situation today in which you need to see the Lord on your side, get on your knees and start asking for help. God is waiting to show His power no matter what circumstance you are facing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

June 8
Today's Reading: 2 Chronicles 30-31; John 18:1-18
Today's Thoughts: The Master Builder
For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 Corinthians 5:1
I had an opportunity to watch as the first side (panel) of a new building was put in place. The sides of the building were made of concrete and steel. I learned that the foundation of the building was laid first, then the sides were actually placed on top of the foundation. Each panel was engineered and laid out on the ground first, then lifted off the surface foundation and raised up on its side. To say the least, the size of the crane to do this kind of work was awesome. I was told that this particular crane could move up to 300 tons in one lift. The panels were massive in size and weight, but the crane seemed to move them about effortlessly. Within a few hours, the first outside walls of the building were affixed in their places.
As I looked upon this awesome structure, the Lord reminded me of Who made the materials that went into that building. The Lord of heaven and earth created all things and oversees all things that take place here on earth. I reflected on some basic truths about God and me in relation to Him. Buildings made with man's hands can and will be destroyed, regardless of their size and strength. Our physical bodies are to be considered buildings that house our souls and spirits; and they, too, can and will die at some point, regardless of how healthy we try to be. The only building that will remain is the one God builds–"a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." This is the building we should be the most concerned about.
How much time and energy do we put into our earthly buildings? Whether they are the buildings that house our souls or the buildings that house our bodies, we all live within some sort of frame. And regardless of how strong and powerful they seem to be, there is One who handles them all as though they were but dust. Our focus today should be on the Master builder, the One who made each of us in His image. God is the One who created all things and will be the One who determines what happens to all things, even us. For those of us who believe in His Son, Jesus Christ, we have an eternal building prepared for us in heaven. Let's spend some time today working on our spiritual life, not just the physical. Spend some time today with the Master builder.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

une 7
Today’s Readings: 2 Chronicles 28-29; John 17
Today’s Thoughts: Chosen by the Lord
“My sons, do not be negligent now, for the LORD has chosen you to stand before Him, to serve Him, and that you should minister to Him and burn incense." 2 Chronicles 29:11
After King Solomon’s death, the nation of Israel was divided into two separate kingdoms. Israel had ten tribes and Judah had two. Each kingdom had its own king. The Lord had promised King David that he would always have a successor in Judah and God honored that promise as David’s line of descendants continued to reign on the throne in Jerusalem. Unfortunately, not all of these kings walked in the ways of the Lord as David had done. One of the most ruthless and wicked of these kings was Ahaz. King Ahaz turned from the Lord to such an extent that he literally cut the articles from the temple in two, set up idolatrous altars in every corner of Jerusalem and even offered his own children as sacrifices. His wickedness incensed the Lord and brought His wrath upon the people for their abominable sins. But upon Ahaz’s death, his son, Hezekiah, became king and Hezekiah chose to follow the Lord. Today’s verse reflects Hezekiah’s words to the people after they had restored the temple and were preparing to offer their sacrifices and worship to the one true God.
King Hezekiah warns the people to not be negligent for it is time to take a stand for the Lord. He instructed them to ask for His forgiveness, and to worship Him in praise and thanksgiving. The people did all that Hezekiah directed them to do and God’s wrath was averted. The verse says that the Lord chose them to stand before Him, serve Him and minister to Him. In other words, they now had to act upon their loyalty to God, not just give Him empty words. But God is so awesome that He made a way for them to succeed in their service because He chose them and He led them in all they did. Jesus would later say that we did not choose Him but He chose us (John 15:16).
What can we learn from this story and how can we apply it to our lives? First of all, we need to see how God’s Word speaks to us every day, regardless of the chapter or verse or book of the Bible. Even though as Christians, we may read the Bible, pray and go to church, we are capable of easily turning from the Lord. One step leads to more steps until we are farther and farther away from the Lord’s teachings. We then find ourselves engrossed in sins of idolatry and wickedness, just like the Israelites. But the Lord is always with us. He is waiting for us to come back to Him and to serve Him, just as He did with the Israelites. Offer your heart to Him in prayers and worship. Repent from your sins, ask forgiveness and know in your heart that God has chosen you for His own. Do not be negligent. Seize the day.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next