World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» EXPERTS Why Israel Must Strike Back
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyToday at 1:50 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyToday at 1:42 pm by Admin

» Christians facing Medntasl Health Struggles
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyToday at 1:34 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyToday at 1:24 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyToday at 1:08 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyToday at 1:05 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyToday at 12:25 am by Admin

» Israel 365 News
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyYesterday at 11:42 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyYesterday at 11:37 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyYesterday at 11:34 pm by Admin

» israelAM
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyYesterday at 11:30 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyYesterday at 10:15 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyYesterday at 9:26 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:34 pm by Admin

» AISH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:18 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:02 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 12:08 am by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 11:32 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 Empty Re: A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Post  Admin Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:36 am

A NORVELL NOTE by Tom Norvell
- http://www.anorvellnote.com

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 40 October 3, 2011
Continue To Do Right

You have had a hard day. Make that a hard week. No, the more you think about it the last year has been extremely difficult. You have worked hard. You have allowed opportunities with other companies to pass by. You have been kind, considerate, compassionate, and extremely tolerant with the people in your office. You have gone the extra mile to help others get their work done. You have helped your company exceed the goals for the year. When it came time for a promotion, you were overlooked. Again. You are tired of it. “Why do I keep breaking my back to help this bunch of ungrateful people when they never notice or acknowledge anything I do?” That little voice in your head says, “Quit working so hard. Nobody cares. Nobody notices. No matter what you do you it will not make a difference. Slack off a little. Cut back. Take care of yourself and forget the rest.”

“…let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy.”

You have been a person of integrity. You have always stayed on track and tried to please God. Then, you hear the voice, “Where has it gotten you? Are you any better off than anybody else? Give it up. Live a little. Loosen up. Relax. Nobody will know.” So, you drift off into your dream world of what if…

“…let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy.”

You are tired of being married. You have tried to make it work. You have done everything you know to do. It has been a one-sided relationship almost from the beginning. You are ready to quit. You feel that you have done more than your part.

You have been teaching Sunday school for thirty-five years. You are now teaching children of the children you started with. Not one time has there been even one word of public recognition. That in not why you do it. But, it would be nice for them give you some kind of recognition.

Your friend hurt your feelings really bad. It has left a very deep scar. They have never even acknowledged what they did. No “I’m sorry.” No “Can you forgive me?” They act like nothing ever happened. You hear a voice saying, “Your chance will come. Sweet revenge is just around the corner.”

You have been the best parent anyone could ask for. You read the right books. You did the right things. You sacrificed your time, your money, your career and a major portion of your life for those kids. Now, they are off living their life and doing their thing. At times you feel forgotten and unappreciated. There is an enemy who would love nothing more than for you to allow those negative thoughts grow until they form a barrier between you and your children.

You have choice to make. You can get your revenge. You can fight back. Or, you can continue to do right. I hope you choose to continue to do right. Keep being a good employee, even if you never get a promotion. Continue to be the person of integrity you have always been, even when the temptations get strong. Keep respecting your husband, even when he does not show you the love that you are craving. Continue loving your wife, even when she does not show you the respect you need. Teach the Sunday School for another year. Forgive your friend, even if they never ask for it. Love your children all the way to the end.

10 Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, because the time is near. 11 Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy.”(Revelation 22:10–11, NIV 1984)

Tom

A Norvell Note © Copyright 2011. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 13 Empty Re: A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Post  Admin Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 39 September 26, 2011
Someone Is Knocking

As I went about the business of the day I thought I heard someone knocking on the door of my heart so I paused to listen. I listened for a moment but the knocking was not loud enough to drown out the other activities I had planned for the day. So, I went on about the business of my day.

There was much to do. Before I could leave the house there were dishes to wash, children to feed, beds to be made, and laundry to be washed. I heard the knocking again, but knew if I responded I would be late.

As I walked from my car to the office I thought I heard the knocking again, so I stopped and looked around. I did not see anyone so I walked on. Once in the office I heard my phone ring so I answered. I saw that I had several emails, so I answered. The text message dinged so I answered it too. Someone knocked on my door so I opened it. When they left I thought I heard another knock, but I saw I had more emails, so I did not answer.

During the lunch hour I had errands to run. The bank. The cleaners. The grocery store. The office supply store. The gas station. As I drove from place to place I heard the knock again, but I wanted to hear the song on the radio so I did not respond.

Once back in the office I had to prepare for a meeting and get some work done on the next project. Plus, I had to try to get some things done before I leave on the business trip next week. Just when I thought I would have time to check to see where the knocking was coming from two co-workers came in to chat for a while.

The workday is over so maybe I can finally respond to the knocking. But, before that I have to pick up the kids and get them to a soccer game. Somewhere along the way we have to eat dinner. Then, once we get home we have to get the kids bathed and finish the homework.

Ah. It is quiet. I hear the knocking again. As I go to see who it is I hear my favorite television show about to begin. It is the season premier. I have been waiting for this for three months. Finally! We will know if the main character has survived the explosion.

Okay. The program is over. Time to check the knocking. First, I need to check the news. I heard there was an accident on the freeway and I better check to see what the weather is going to be tomorrow. Oh, and I wanted to watch interview on Letterman.

There is the knocking again. Who could that be? I have been hearing it all day, and have tried to respond. Whoever it is very persistent. Almost annoying! Wow! It has been a full day. I am really tired.

As I drift off to sleep I hear the knocking again. Oh, well. Maybe I will check on that tomorrow.

“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” (Revelation 3:20, NIV 1984)

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 38 September 19, 2011
Why Are We Afraid?

Romans 8:28-39 is a passage about hope. Read it from your favorite version of the Bible. Then, read it again from Romans 8 out of The Message.

26-28 Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.
29-30 God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him. After God made that decision of what his children should be like, he followed it up by calling people by name. After he called them by name, he set them on a solid basis with himself. And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun.
31-39 So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? If God didn't hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing himself to the worst by sending his own Son, is there anything else he wouldn't gladly and freely do for us? And who would dare tangle with God by messing with one of God's chosen? Who would dare even to point a finger? The One who died for us—who was raised to life for us!—is in the presence of God at this very moment sticking up for us. Do you think anyone is going to be able to drive a wedge between us and Christ's love for us? There is no way! Not trouble, not hard times, not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not bullying threats, not backstabbing, not even the worst sins listed in Scripture: 

They kill us in cold blood because they hate you. 

We're sitting ducks; they pick us off one by one.

None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us. (Romans 8:28-39, The Message)
The key verse from the New International Version reads this way: “What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31, NIV)

If it is true that God is for us, then why are we so afraid? Let me rephrase that: Since it is true that God is for us, what do we have to be afraid of? “With God on our side like this, how can we lose?” (The Message)

Death should cause us no fear. What is there to fear? He has conquered death. We are more than conquerors. God is for us.

Life should not give us reason for fear. God has given us life. He is the giver of life. What can life bring at us or to us that God cannot handle? God is for us.

Angels and demons should not scare us. Even the angels and demons equipped with superhuman power by creative minds of movie production crews. What can they do to us? God is for us.

Can time hurt us? The past cannot. The present cannot. The future cannot. Time cannot hurt us. God is for us.

The powerful forces of this world cannot hurt us. No matter how strong. No matter how influential those who possess the power, we cannot be harmed. God is for us.

No matter how high you go above the earth, or how low you go in the world. No reason to fear. God is for us.

Nothing in all creation can hurt us. Nothing? Nothing. Nothing can separate us from God. God is for us.

God is for us. Live like God is for us. Act like God I for us. Pray like God is for us. Believe God is for us.

Relax. God is for us.

Rest. God is for us.

Enjoy. God is for us.

Worship constantly. God is for us.

Move through your world with confidence and peace. God is for us.

Love freely. God is for us.

Live confidently. God is for us.

There is no reason to be afraid. God is for us.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:53 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 37 September 11, 2011
9-11-01 to 9-11-11

It has been ten years. Very few things are burned into our memory like the events of ten years ago. Most of us can recall without hesitation exactly where we were and what we were doing when we received news of the planes hitting the towers in New York City, Washington D.C., and the field in Pennsylvania. Most of us have spent a considerable amount of time this week watching videos, interviews, and in various ways reliving those horrifying images and emotions from ten years ago.

It has been ten years. Ten years ago we were asking: “Why?” “Why has this happened?” “Why has God allowed this to happen?” “Where was God when this happened?” “What will we do if it happens again?” “Are we safe?” “Can we ever be safe again?”

It has been ten years. Now what? Where do we go from here? What have we learned? Have we learned anything? Assuming we have learned some things will we use what we have learned to make this world a better place? Will we use what happened to all of us to prove we are stronger than ever, that we are more powerful than others, that we are more deserving than the rest of the world, and that we are more committed than ever to prove that we are invincible? Will we allow the fear of what might happen dominate our culture and control attitudes and actions? Or, will we take what we have learned about ourselves and about our God and use it to make the world a better place for all of God’s creatures?

It has been ten years. In those ten years there have been “9/11s” of many different forms: devastating floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, economic disasters, death, disease, and war. In many ways we wonder if we safer than we were ten years ago. Do you think we will feel safer in ten more years? We have been assured that we are indeed safer. “We have better security measures in place.” “We have more efficient warning systems.” “We are doing everything within our power to make sure that what happened will never happen again.

Ah ha! Maybe that last statement provides the only real answer to our questions: “We are doing everything within our power.” Let us stop relying on our power, and start depending on the real power.

Psalm 46
1 God is our refuge and strength, 

an ever-present help in trouble. 

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way 

and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 

3 though its waters roar and foam 

and the mountains quake with their surging. 
 Selah

Psalm 31
14 But I trust in you, O LORD; 

I say, “You are my God.” 

15 My times are in your hands; 

deliver me from my enemies 

and from those who pursue me. 

16 Let your face shine on your servant; 

save me in your unfailing love. …

19 How great is your goodness, 

which you have stored up for those who fear you, 

which you bestow in the sight of men 

on those who take refuge in you. 

20 In the shelter of your presence you hide them 

from the intrigues of men; 

in your dwelling you keep them safe 

from accusing tongues.

Psalm 62
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; 

he is my mighty rock, my refuge. 

8 Trust in him at all times, O people; 

pour out your hearts to him, 

for God is our refuge. 
 Selah
It has been ten years. We have promised “We Will Never Forget!” We will not forget. How could we forget? The events of that day, those who were killed, the thousands who lost loved ones, and those who risked their lives on that day and since that day trying to help, serve, and protect are forever in our memories. But, let us also never forget where our real comes from and where only safe place is. He is our refuge. In Him we trust. Our salvation and our honor depend on God; He is our mighty rock, our refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.”

Let this be the day that we promise God that “We will never forget!”

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 36 September 5, 2011
He Did Not Retaliate

When the guy cut across two lanes of traffic without any sort of a turn signal, while he was talking on his phone, you wanted to honk your horn and let him know without a doubt that you saw what he did. You are convinced that he looked in his mirror and saw that it was you and intentionally tried to ruin your day. If you get the chance, you will let him have it. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When the young guy in the car pulled up behind you while you were stopped at the light he had the bass on his stereo so loud that your windows were vibrating. You wanted to stick your head out the window and yell, “What makes you think everyone in this part of town wants to listen to your music?” He probably could not hear you if you did. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When a co-worker publicly humiliated you with an unusually critical comment about a decision you had made you wanted to fire back at him with an equally ugly comment about how this man made his own share of mistakes, and beside that he has a mustard stain on his tie. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When you were greeted first thing on Monday morning by an email from your supervisor pointing out a typo in the project you had sent her you wanted to respond with an email of your own highlighting every typo she had ever made in every email she had ever sent you. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When your wife offered an alternative route to your destination you wanted to remind her that she was in the passenger seat and you were in the driver’s seat. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When your idea falls flat as a pancake in the team meeting you wanted to remind them of your title and your years of experience. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When your neighbor got upset because of something that a visitor in your home had done you want to ask him, “Well, who died and made you boss of the neighborhood.” “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When you realized that your playing partner had not counted all his strokes on the last hole, which meant he had a better score, you wanted to remind him that golf is a gentleman’s game for men of integrity…like you. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When your wife revealed that she has had an affair you felt so betrayed that you wanted to tell her to leave the house, and words cannot describe what you would like to do to man she had the affair with. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When you learned that your business partner has lied to you, cheated you, and put the future of your company in jeopardy you wanted to take him to court and sue him for everything you can. You wanted to ruin him. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When you discovered that people you loved and respected had been spreading vicious ugly rumors about you and your family you wanted to go public with what you know about them and set the record straight once and for all. “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

When the less qualified new employee got the promotion that you had been working for, and hoping for, you wanted to do everything you could to make her life miserable and prove it was a.mistake “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

1 Peter 2:23-24, “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.”
In this life we will be treated poorly, we will be overlooked, we will be betrayed, we will be lied to, we will be taken advantage of, and many times it will seem that life is unfair and it is our duty to set it right. Many in this world would applaud the action of retaliation and revenge and assure us that we are justified in everything. It happens every day. Some would say, “It is the only way to survive and not get run over.” But, Jesus is our example and, “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate.”

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 29 Aug 2011, 5:55 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 35 August 28, 2011
Think Different

Steve Jobs resigned last week after 14 years as Apple's CEO. Jobs literally changed the world of computers, technology, and communication by introducing us to the iMac desktop computer in 1998, the iPod in 2001, the iPhone in 2007, and the iPad in 2010. He was involved with the licensing of the Mac OS to third-party hardware companies, and the Newton personal digital assistant. The iTunes Music Store came along in 2003, which has since become the top music retailer in the U.S. Under his leadership Apple rallied from a company in ruins in 1997 to where it now sits on a cash reserve of more than $76 billion. (MacWorld)
His commitment to creative innovation and marketing is evident in this (and other versions) of the Think Different Commercial is one of the things I appreciate most about the legacy Jobs left. He thought different, and encouraged others to think different. Because of the willingness to think differently and act on those thoughts, Jobs and Apple helped change the world.
Although Jobs will be remembered for his technical and marketing genius, he was not the first to suggest that we “Think Different.”
Two thousand years earlier as Jesus trained His disciples to change their world, He told them that they too much “think different.”
In Mark 10, after a dispute among his disciples over who would get the seats of honor in the new kingdom, Jesus told them: “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (42-45, NIV 1984)
Did you get it? “Not so with you.” “Think different” if you are going to be my disciples.
He also used phrases like: “You must become like little children.” (Matthew 18:3) And, “The first will be last.” (Matthew 20:16)
That is thinking different!
What if we applied the “think different” mindset to church and ministry?
If we think different our ministries will be more about helping people who have nothing to offer us and less about how to satisfy our own desires.
If we think different our worship assemblies will be more focused on the God who really is instead of the God we want Him to be.
If we think different our money will be spent in ways that will help get us into the community and less on how to get the community to come to us.
If we think different we do not have to have things our way all the time.
If we think different we will forget how much time and money we have contributed and that qualifies us for special recognition and special treatment.
If we think different we will not be concerned about getting the credit for a good work. We will simply find joy in doing the good work.
If we think different we will remember that a little child is our model for what it means to be in the Kingdom of God.
If we think different we will realize that giving really is better than receiving.
If we think different we will understand that forgiveness is not optional.
If we think different we remember that vengeance is God’s business not ours.
If we think different we know that pleasing God is more important than being popular, famous, or important.
If we think different we might not change the whole world, but we might change the world for one person.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 22 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 34 August 22, 2011
Every Thought Captive

God’s word says this:
1 By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am “timid” when face to face with you, but “bold” when away! 2 I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world. 3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 6 And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete. (2 Corinthians 10:1-6, NIV, 1984) I understand that, as God’s followers, we are living by standards that are not of this world. I also understand that we are waging war and we do not to wage as the world does. I understand that the weapons we fight with are not the weapons of this world. And, I understand that, as children of God, we have divine power that can demolish strongholds. Anything, any argument and any pretension that sets itself against the knowledge of God, can be demolished by this divine power. And, I realize that every act of disobedience will be punished. I understand all that. It all makes sense. I trust God’s power and I know that He makes His power available to us.

But, “take every thought captive and making it obedient to Christ,” that is something else. Is it possible? If so, how is it possible? Obviously, God said it, so that settles it. I know it is possible. Therein is the struggle.

The text says, “We take captive every thought captive.” “We take.” The text does not say every thought is tamed for us. The text does not say God takes our every thought and brings it under subjection for us. The text does not say if we have enough will power and strength and determination, we will be able to take every thought captive. The text reminds us of the “divine power to demolish strongholds” that is available to us.

What does this tell us?

First, it can be done. It is possible to overcome our unhealthy and destructive thoughts…to take captive every thought.

It can be done! For me it has not been accomplished, but it can be. It should be my goal. It should be my desire. Some times it is. There are days when it happens almost without thinking. Good thoughts dwell within me and flow from me. Good words come out of my mouth. A positive and encouraging attitude radiates from me.

There are other days when it not natural, when it does not come easy, and when the one who wages war against us uses every weapon in his arsenal against me. Negative people and negative situations seem to follow me wherever I go. Interruptions seem to interrupt my interruptions. Disappointment cripples me. Fatigue makes me vulnerable.

Even on those days, it is possible to take every thought captive.

Second, with God’s power it can be done. It is possible because of the power of God, not my power.

I cannot make it happen by trying harder to make it happen. I cannot will it to happen. I cannot win this battle on my own. My weapons will not defeat this enemy. God’s weapons can and will overcome the attacks. He gives me the power. He furnishes the weapons. He provides the ammunition I need to win the battle of the mind.

The power may be displayed in something a simple as choosing to listen to a certain kind of music. It may involve watching, or not watching, certain kinds of television programs or movies. It may include listening, or not listening to, positive talk instead of negative.

God wants me take every thought captive. He wants me to succeed though His power.

Third, with God’s power it is possible, but I must choose to make it reality.

When I fail, it is my decision. It is usually my fault. The power is there if I want it. The power to take captive thought is available. God holds nothing back. But, I must choose His weapons. I must wage war on His terms.

When I deliberately decide to think on things below, rather than on things above, my thoughts will lead to actions that reflect this world. When I choose this world method of battle, I will get this world’s results.

In another of letters Paul says this,

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:4-9, NIV, 1984)
The message is the same: It is your choice. You can choose to think on “these things” and find peace, or choose your own weapon.

God gives us the power to think about Him. He gives us the power to focus our thoughts on Him, on things above. He gives us the ability to take every thought captive. Will we choose to rely on His power?

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 33 August 15, 2011
You Can Go To Sleep Now

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about our need for rest. As I stated then, I am not sure if God is trying to tell me something, if He is simply reminding me that I may need to slow down about and get more rest, or if He is using me as a tool through which to deliver a message to you. Whatever the case the idea of rest keeps coming up in conversations and readings.

For instance, in The Good and Beautiful God James Bryan Smith writes:

“The number one enemy of Christian spiritual formation today is exhaustion. We are living beyond our means, both financially and physically. As a result, one of the primary activities (or anti-activities) of human life is being neglected: sleep. According to numerous studies, the average person needs approximately eight hours of sleep in order to maintain health. This tells me that God has designed humanity to spend nearly one-third of our lives sleeping. This is a stunning thought. We were made to spend large portions of our existence essentially doing nothing. The failure to do so results in damage to physical health, loss of energy and decreased productivity. And our sleep deprivation often hurts others. More people are killed each year by drowsy drivers than by drunk drivers.” (IVP Books: Downers Grove, “Soul Training: Sleep”, p. 33)
On the next page he says, “Sleep is an act of surrender. It is a declaration of trust. It is admitting that we are not God (who never sleeps) and that is good news.”

Then, I read these passages from the Psalms

Psalm 3:4-6, To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. (NIV 1984)

Psalm 4:7-8, You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. (NIV1984)
Impactful words!

Many times I have maintained (almost boasted) that I really do not need as much sleep as some folks. “Give me five or six hours a night and I’m good.” And, I am. I can usually function pretty well on that amount of sleep. Eventually it does catch up with me and I will need a night or two of seven or eight hours of good sleep to regain my energy.

So, when I read these statements by Smith and the Psalmist I wonder if, perhaps, I need rethink my sleep patterns. Missing an hour or two sleep each night is not as much of a concern as: “We were made to spend large portions of our existence essentially doing nothing.” And, “Sleep is an act of surrender. It is a declaration of trust.” “I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.” And, “I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”

I have never thought of my sleeping (or not sleeping) as making a statement about my trust (or lack of trust) in the Lord. Most of the time when I am neglecting to sleep it is due to trying to do things that I have not done earlier in the day, or things that I think cannot wait a little longer. These are things that I usually perceive “my responsibility.” But, are they really my responsibility? Do they really need to be done today? Can they wait and hour or two? Do they have to be done at all?

Maybe the more important question is: do I trust God to take care of the world while I sleep? Surely I do, but my actions seem to state otherwise.

How about you? Do you ever think like, or act like God needs to take a break and He is depending on you to run things? Do we believe we need to step in while He snoozes? Do you ever find yourself burning the midnight oil and getting up before the chickens because you are convinced that God cannot handle everything that needs to be done in the next twenty-four hours?

God is not asleep. God is not tired. God does not need a break. God will be awake all night…and He will be awake all day. It is okay for you to go to sleep. In fact, He wants you to sleep.

You can go to sleep now.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 32 August 8, 2011
Parenthood: Lessons I Have Learned (Lessons I Am Learning)

I have learned how God feels about me. I have learned what it feels like to want what is best for your children. I have learned the longing to express my love for my children. I have learned how it feels to love unconditionally. I have learned what it means to hear my children say, “I love you.” I have learned the importance of asking for forgiveness, giving forgiveness, and forgiving. I have learned to rejoice with them when they achieve great things and their dreams are realized. I have learned that when they make mistakes I must let them deal with the consequences of their mistakes. I have learned that they do not need to earn my love.

I have learned that fellowship with other parents is essential and is a blessing. If it is possible find or develop a support system. Ask for help. Do not go it alone. The Lone Ranger had no children. Seek out people in your church, in your work place, or in your neighborhood who have children near the same age as your children, and people who already reared their children. This will provide you with listening ears and caring hearts. Share what is in your heart with them. Ask them questions: “So, how did you do this when your children were the age of ours?” “What was the most difficult time you experienced with our children?” “What advice can you share about being a parent?” “Do you mind if I contact you from time to time to be an outlet?” “Will you pray for me to be the parent I need to be, and for my child to be protected?” Never underestimate the value and the power of having a friend who shares the desires of your heart for your children!

I have learned that there is no pain quite like the pain a parent feels for a hurting child. It hurts when they are sick. It hurts when they are sad. It hurts when they are lonely. It hurts when they struggle with difficult decisions. It hurts when they are confused and I cannot help them. It hurts when they are suffering the consequences of their actions. It hurts when their heart is breaking.

I have learned the importance of trusting God. I must trust God to take care of my children. I must trust God to provide answers for the questions they ask that I cannot answer. I must trust God to put the right people in their lives at just the right time. I must trust God to lead them in the paths He wants them to go. I must trust Him when that path appears dangerous, uncertain, and unpredictable. I must trust Him when I am far away from my children.

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:7-11, NIV)

As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. (Psalm 103:13-14, NIV)

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 31 August 1, 2011
We Need Rest
“The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, ‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.’
So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place.” (Mark 6:30-32, NIV)
Sounds like us, doesn’t it? We go live our lives and come together from time to time and “report all that we have done.” We stay so busy sometimes we don’t even have a chance to eat. Jesus would probably say the same thing to us that He said to His disciples: “Come with me to a quiet place and get some rest.”

We need rest. We seem to have made being tired a fine art. We know how to wear ourselves out. Without meaning to we seem to be living life at such a pace that leaves very little time for physical rest, and almost no time for the soul rest that Jesus was encouraging. It appears to be one of the characteristics of our age and our culture. We almost celebrate and take pride in being tired.

We go on elaborate and expensive vacations hoping to find rest, only to come home wishing we had another week to recover from our vacation. We work hard day and night. We are sleep deprived, stressed-out, tensed-up, drained and thinking that we’ll eventually get to a place in life where we can stop the madness and rest. But is seldom comes.

“Come with me to a quiet place and get some rest.” With those words Jesus revealed that He knew his disciples then very well. Our tired faces, weary bodies, and worn-out spirits reveal that He knows us just as well.

Psalm 62 speaks of finding rest.

[1] Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. [2] Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
[3] How long will you assault me? Would all of you throw me down—this leaning wall, this tottering fence? [4] Surely they intend to topple me from my lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse.
[5] Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. [6] Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. [7] My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. [8] Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
[9] Surely the lowborn are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie. If weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath. [10] Do not trust in extortion or put vain hope in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
[11] One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard: “Power belongs to you, God, [12] and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”; and, “You reward everyone according to what they have done.” (Psalm 62:1-12, NIV)
In another place in the gospels Jesus reminds us that He knows we need rest.

At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. [26] Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.
[27] “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
[28] “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:24-30, NIV)

Three simple and important messages immerge from these passages.
First, real rest comes only from God. Jesus said, “I will give you rest.” The Psalmist said: “Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.” “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.” We may search for it in other things and in other places, but real rest…real refreshment of the soul…comes from God.

Second, God is able to handle our load. The Psalmist said, “Power belongs to you, God, and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”; Jesus said, ““All things have been committed to me by my Father.” Since He has all power our problems, our questions, our struggles, our hurts, our weariness is not too much for Him.

Third, He invites us to find rest for our souls. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Rest is waiting for us. He is inviting us to rest.

You look like you could use some rest. Or, am I looking in the mirror. He wants to give us rest for our weary souls. He is inviting you to lay your burdens down.

We need rest. Our rest is in Him.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:55 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 30 July 25, 2011
The Church and the Yellow Pages
The newest version of The Real Yellow Pages® arrived last week. When I retrieved it from the front porch I noticed that we had the last four previous versions stacked in our hall closet. I asked, “Why do they keep delivering these? I never use them.”

As I dropped the stack of outdated books in the recycle bin, I wondered if people look at the church like I do the phone book. The information is good and useful and helpful, but the method of delivery has no appeal and has lost its effectiveness.

Of course, there are those who still find The Real Yellow Pages® a useful and important tool. And, there are new technologies that may be more effective and allow us to reach more people.

Maybe you have had this experience. You are talking with a friend about where to go for dinner. You mention a place. You want to know what time they open and if they take reservations. You go to the hall close to retrieve your The Real Yellow Pages® and before you get to the closet they have it pulled it up on their Smart Phone, made a call, and gotten the reservation.

These words from Jesus came to mind: “No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. Otherwise, the new piece will pull away from the old, making the tear worse. 22 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins.” (Mark 2:21-22, NIV)

I consider myself fairly savvy with the world of gadgets. Yet, I realize how quickly gadgets become outdated, and how quickly methods change. As I write this article I realize I am behind the times in the best way to distribute it. In the almost fifteen years I’ve been sending out A Norvell Note, the technology has changed more than I could have ever imagined. Because of those changes there are some who will never read this article because checking email is old school. There are many who will never read this because, although they do check email regularly, and they do receive it, they will pass over it because there is something about the packaging of the next email that grabs their attention quicker than my articles. I must decide if I want to reach more people or be satisfied with the current audience.

And what about the church? Are we continuing to use the same methods, techniques, and technology that we used a decade ago while the world we are hoping to reach has moved on without us? Will we be guilty of missing those who are hungry and thirsty for God because we are more comfortable with how we have always done things? Are we willing to modify the way we package the Message so that those seeking the Message find it appealing?

Has The Real Yellow Pages® served people well? Yes. Will The Real Yellow Pages® continue to serve some the needs of some people? Yes. Are there new and different ways that may reach more people? Yes. Is the message the same? Yes.

Our mission is to share the life-giving story of Jesus and what God has done in our lives with as many as we possibly can. How are going to do that?

Are there tried and true methods of sharing the story that worked for us, that we are comfortable with, and that we love and cherish? Yes. Can they still reach people? Absolutely. Are there millions of people who have never been reached that will never be reached if we stay with the old methods? Absolutely. Are there some methods that should be abandoned? Certainly. Are there new methods and technology that should be avoided? No doubt.

My plea is simple. Let’s not limit God by refusing to use a method of communicating the gospel story because it is new, or old, or different, or uncomfortable. Let’s use any and every means possible to offer nourishment to the hungry and to give living water to the thirsty. Souls depend on our willingness to be creative and listen to God’s leading us as we seek to share His story.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 29 July 18, 2011
Family
I began stringing together the words for this article while sitting in the maternity area of a local hospital waiting to meet my new great niece. My wife and I were there holding spots for both sets of parents until they could arrive. When the 6 pound 14 ounce gift from God made her appearance in the world she was given a reception of love and adoration that can only be explained by her parents, grant parents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and extended family as we celebrated with prayers of gratitude. The news of her birth quickly spread across the country to other members of the family. This is what a family does.

As the celebration extended into the weekend, in another part of the country a different segment of our family gathered for a family reunion. During their time together you can be certain that stories were told about our grandparents, about our parents, aunts uncles, and cousins. There were probably stories that triggered tears, there were surely stories that produced laughter, and there were stories that created moments of silence and times of reflection. There were photos from our heritage that brought back memories. There were photos taken that will be memories at future reunions. This is what a family does.

While this family was reflecting on our heritage and celebrating our future, in other parts of the country other members of our family were going about their business, celebrating the birth from long distance, and making memories their own that will one day be talked about at future family gatherings. That is what a family does.

As the weekend progressed in yet another part of the country a son and a daughter were receiving the sudden and earth-shaking news of their father’s death. In the coming days they will be surrounded by their grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends, and church family as they attempt to sort through the details, and deal with the feelings of shock, disbelief, and sadness. They will depend on friends and family for strength. They will look to God for answers to questions they never dreamed they would be asking. They will begin the process of grieving, search for understanding, and pray for healing. That is what a family does.

As these families cope with the joys and sorrows of being a family, another bigger family that stretches around the globe rallies around these families and others like them to provide hope where there is no hope, strength where there is no energy, and comfort for those who struggle. This family will provide nourishment for the body as well as the soul. This family will bring a spirit of calm to chaos, a breath of refreshment to the weary, and will be a source of wisdom to face the days ahead. That is was a family does.

I am reminded of these words from Psalm 127.

Unless the Lord builds the house,

the builders labor in vain.

Unless the Lord watches over the city,

the guards stand watch in vain.

2 In vain you rise early

and stay up late,

toiling for food to eat—

for he grants sleep to those he loves.

3 Children are a heritage from the LORD,

offspring a reward from him.

4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior

are children born in one’s youth.

5 Blessed is the man

whose quiver is full of them.

They will not be put to shame

when they contend with their opponents in court.

Father, thank You for our family…for Your family.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 28 July 11, 2011
Friends
Jesus said, “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other.” (John 15:12-17, NIV)
Father, You have blessed me in more ways than I could have ever asked or imagined. You have given me good health; and when I have had poor health You have provided excellent health care for me that enables me to heal. You have provided me with enough wealth to supply me needs; and when I have wanted more than my needs, You have blessed me with many luxuries. You have blessed me with a wonderful family; and when I think I could not be more blessed You increase my family and add more blessings. Thank You.
As I reflect on my blessings and think my heart could be no fuller, You share more of Your goodness and love by giving me friends. You have given me friendships that have endured decades and weathered storms.
You have given me friendships that have survived selfishness and neglect from both sides.
You have given me friendships that weathered storms and experienced seasons of overflowing joy.
You have given me friends who have stood by me in times of struggle, stood with me on times of battle, who have stood in front of me in times of attack, and have held me up when I grew weary and wanted to quit.
You have given me friends who spoken words of love and backed those words up with action.
You have given me friends who have avoided the talk about love but who have instead simply loved.
You have given me friends who have laughed with me, wept with me, hurt with me, sat in confused silence with me, and celebrated life's greatest moments with me.
You have given me friends who have advised me, cautioned me, congratulated me, comforted me, encouraged me, and humbled me.
You have given me friends who have shown unconditional love for me, for my family, for other friends, for their families.
Father, thank You for friends...good friends...loyal friends...godly friends...friends who desire to know You better and challenge me to live like Your Son.
Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 04 Jul 2011, 8:44 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 27 July 4, 2011
We Value Our Freedom
We value our freedom, don’t we? On this holiday and on other occasions when we discuss freedom we are quick to express how much our freedom means to us. Some say it is our most valuable possession. Some describe it as the secret to happiness. Someone has said that, “Any existence deprived of freedom is a kind of death.” Many have died for the cause of freedom. Many are serving in places where they live with the possibility of death in their efforts to preserve freedom. Many of our children will give their lives for the cause of freedom.
Because of the value we place on freedom, when it is taken from us, or even if it is threatened, we resolve to defend it and protect it at any cost.
Aging accompanied by failing health often produces a fear of what the loss of our freedom will mean. We fear what will happen to us when we can no longer take care of ourselves. Where will we live? Will we be able to provide our own transportation, or will we be forced to depend on someone else to transport us from place to place? Will our life savings last as long as our lives? Ironically, in some cases, our fear of losing our freedom may contribute to the loss of our freedom.
As students confidently march toward the end of their education the quest for freedom intensifies. Complete freedom and independence cannot come soon enough. Often their parents agree. Any resistance to them exercising their freedom is considered cruel, foolish, and totally unfair. For the almost-adult freedom is very valuable.
As couples approach the marriage altar the proverbial cold feet may surface with thoughts of the loss of freedom. Am I really ready to settle down? Am I ready to give up my freedom? Am I willing to limit myself to one partner? Am I willing to share my space? Am I ready to sacrifice the freedoms I enjoy as a single person? When we discovers that our freedoms, as valuable as they are, fade in comparison to the opportunity to share our life with the one we love, we know we are ready for marriage.
Among the disturbing realities of recovering from an accident, illness or surgery are the limitations to our freedom of movement and activity. Our energy is depleted quickly. We need more rest. We are not as free to eat what we normally would. We may not be able to handle our normal workload. We are dependent upon others to help us do what we normally do for ourselves, or must rely completely on others to do what we would normally do for ourselves.
We value our freedom. As our freedoms diminish we grieve; as they increase we rejoice.
Freedom is also important to our Savior. In Luke 4:16-21 He included bringing freedom to the imprisoned as a major component of His mission on earth: Jesus He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, and he began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” (NIV)
We value our freedom for good reason: “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” (Galatians 5:1, NIV) On this holiday remember that in Christ we have the most valuable of all freedoms, and that the greatest who ever lived gave His life so that we can be forgiven and know true freedom.
“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:36, NIV)
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 26 June 27, 2011
The Father’s Love
I have seen from the bleachers during high school football games. His son is on the field, but the father is completely tuned in. Some dads cannot sit down so they pace the sidelines. They often look like they are talking to themselves. They are not. They are talking to their sons. It almost seems as if there is an invisible direct line of communication between the father and the son. A father’s love is powerful.
I have seen it in auditoriums as a little girl takes center stage for “her moment” in the school play. When the performance is over and the cast members take their final bows she searches the audience until she sees her Daddy. A smile spreads across her face. For her there is only one person in the audience. A father’s love is beautiful.
I have seen it in the airport as a soldier moves through the airport searching every face hoping to see his family. The little ones spot him, run into his arms cheering, “Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!” He picks them up, hugs them, kisses them, and tells them he loves them. A father’s love is precious.
I have seen it in the funeral parlor as sons and daughters stand by a casket in disbelief as they stare at their father. They cry. They laugh. They share stories from their childhood. They recall how he helped them through tough times. They reflected on what he taught them about family, about friends, and about God. A father’s love is enduring.
I have seen it in a child’s hospital room as fever from an unexplained illness has stolen the energy from an energetic toddler. Next to the bed sits a dad relentlessly watching, waiting, and praying. He is attentive, gentle and patient. A father’s love is comforting.
I have seen it from the steps in the front of church buildings. Preparation and decorations are complete. The wedding part is in place. There is a significant pause in the action. The music begins as the doors in the back open. Everyone stands. Down the aisle walk a daughter, the bride, and her father. She is beaming. He is fighting feverishly to hold back the tears. He has one line. He hopes he can deliver. With all the strength he can muster he whispers, “Her mother and I.” With a hug and a kiss, he releases his daughter to her husband. He takes his seat and wipes his tears. A father’s love is sacred.
I have seen it in spiritual gatherings as lives are changed by the realization of the love the Father has for His people. Tears flow. Hearts are broken. Relationships are reconciled. Hope is realized. The Father’s love is everlasting.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16, NIV)
1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure. (1 John 3:1-3, NIV)
You may have never known the love of your earthly father, and you may never know what it means to love like a father, but you can know the love of the Father in heaven has for you. My prayer is that His love will become real in you. (Click here for Sarah Sadler’s How Deep A Father's Love For Us.)
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 24 June 20, 2011
I Love Being A Father

“The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.” (Proverbs 23:24, NIV)

“Parents rejoice when their children turn out well; wise children become proud parents. So make your father happy! Make your mother proud!” (Proverbs 23:24, The Message)

There are few things in my life that I take as seriously or find more joy in than being a father. These are some of the reasons I love being a father.

I love the experiences of being a father.

The experience of holding my son and my daughter for the first time was unlike any other. Overwhelming joy. I have loved the experience of celebrating with my son and daughter, as they have known joy, and comforting both of them, as they have known heartache. I have loved watching them grow, learn, develop, and mature. I have loved God how has shown me His love for me as I have loved my children. I love being able to relate to them now as healthy and mature adults. I love knowing that although my level of influence and control has diminished dramatically, the Father continues to instruct them, empower them, lead them, and continues to light their path with His Word.

I love the instruction I have received by being a father.

I hope I have been able to teach them half as much as they have taught me. I have learned the meaning of unconditional love by loving and being loved by my children. I have learned the meaning of forgiveness as we have learned the necessity of forgiving one another. I have learned humility through the numerous occasions when I have been forced to acknowledge my limitations, and recognized the extraordinary honor God has bestowed on me by making me a Dad. I have learned to trust as I have struggled to release my two children into the caring hands of the Father of the universe who has been, and is continuing to shape them into the image of His Son. I have learned the necessity of constant prayer as I have helplessly watched as my children have faced temptation, experienced loss, endured pain, overcome adversity, and recovered from broken hearts. I have learned courage as I have witnessed them step out into their world with confidence and boldness knowing they are filled with God’s Spirit and surrounded by His angelic servants of mercy.

I love the memories I have of being a father.

I have been richly blessed with memories of my children. I have memories of sitting in the bleachers during ballgames as they participated on the court, or the field, or by them sitting in the bleachers with me. I have precious memories of conversations on the beach, the deck, or the front porch. I have memories of sitting in the audience as they have shared their talent, received awards, and expressed their faith before their peers. I have memories of their friends being in our home or traveling with us. I have memories of sharing meals with our children and their friends. I have memories of long and thoughtful conversations around our dinner table. I have memories of us laughing together during meals, watched television shows and movies, and as we have enjoyed the blessing of our family. I have memories tears. I have memories of memories displayed on our refrigerator door. I have memories of comforting one another as we have experienced poor health, disappointment, and crises.

I love the relationship that I have with each of my children.

I thought I knew what it meant to have a relationship with my Father in Heaven until my first child was born. My world and my understanding of the Father changed forever. When I hear my son or my daughter say, “Dad, I love you” I experience a feeling of delight that words cannot express. When I am able to say, “I love you” to my son and daughter it relieves an anxiety within me that only a parent can understand. When I am able to talk with them, listen to them, cry with them, cry for them, praying for them, pray with them, knowing they pray for me, laughing with them, sharing their dreams, seeing those dreams come true, and resting at night knowing that all is well with their souls, gives me a sense of peace that truly passes understanding.

I love being a father. If you are a father, I hope have great joy in your children.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:34 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 23 June 13, 2011
Life Is About Learning
Life is filled with learning experiences. Everyday offers multiple opportunities to learn about life, death, self, family, spirituality, people, the Creator, the Creation, the fellowship of believers, and the way the world works. Some days bring those life lessons may focus on only one while other experiences may give us more insight into all those areas. If you have been reading these Notes for any length of time you may have noticed that many of them (perhaps most of them) come from simple observations of what happens around me. Sometimes the event has worldwide impact and sometimes it involves something as seemingly insignificant as a bird outside my window. Life is about learning.
Needless to say, moving through the recovery process of a recent surgery has provided a number of ideas that may eventually find there way into these weekly exchanges. Although I promise to try not to overuse the experience (and I promise I will not show pictures from the surgery or my scars), one experience has found itself to be the focus of this offering.
About tends post-op a friend texted me asking, ““How’s healing?”
I responded, “Progressing nicely after some rough times. Sounds like life, huh.” “Progressing nicely after some rough times” could be a life theme.
In life, rough times are sure to come. In fact, for some people that is the norm. Sometimes rough times come in waves, or waves of waves. One difficult day after another. One crisis after crisis. If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong. The old Hee Haw song (Gloom Despair And Agony Oh Me) could be the soundtrack for these folks. “If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all.”
For others life takes a smoother course. Everyone stays fairly healthy. Accidents are usually minor. Bills are almost always paid on time. Doctor’s check-ups almost always end with, “See you in a year!” Life for these folks would fit the description of those who live in Lake Wobegon: "Where the women are strong. The men are good looking. And all children are above average." (A Prairie Home Companion) However, even for these folks sometimes life goes through some rough times.
Few people, if any, make it through life without rough times. That being true, then it only follows that our focus in life must be how to progress nicely after those rough time.
Jesus put it this way: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33, NIV)
Paul said this: 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (1 Corinthians 12:9-11, NIV)
In Philippians Paul said this: I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
14 Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15 Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16 for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. 17 Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. 18 I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:13-19, NIV)
Are you going through a rough time? Remember Jesus’ words and know that He has overcome the world. Trust Him.
Are you going through a rough time? Remember that in times of weakness His grace is sufficient. Even when you are weak, you can be strong.
Are you going through a rough time? Remember that through Christ you can do everything He needs you to do, and He will supply all your needs.
Are you going through a rough time? Remember life is about learning. Look for the lessons God is teaching you during this rough time.
Before you know it you will be telling a friend that you are progressing nicely after some rough times.
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 22 June 6, 2011
All God’s Creatures
Imagine this: For thirteen years you have lived underground, doing whatever you do in the dirt for thirteen years. After all that time you are transformed into an amazing looking creature with big eyes and wings that enable you to fly. Suddenly, when you crawl above the surface you realize there is another world above the ground. So, you begin to fly. You are a bit unstable, but you make to a one of the many trees you see in the forest. That’s when you discover that not only do you have the ability to and to fly, but if you rub certain parts of your body together you make an amazing noise. What’s more when you and all of your friends make that noise at the same time you hear your song feels the forest.
As you are enjoying a meal of leaves from the tree where you are perched you remember your mission. Mating. That’s why you have come. All you have to do during these few weeks is to eat, make music, mate, and … die. Didn’t Solomon write something about that? Oh, it appears that an extra part of your existence involves irritating humans with your music and occasionally landing on one of them just to see if they freak out. Most of them do. Proudly you fly away, or limp, thinking to yourself: “I am Cicada!”
So, off you go to find your mate. Ah, you connect. You enjoy. One of you lays your eggs. You die. The earth is nourished.
But wait! with the onset of what humans call modern technology there is a new danger that more recent generations have been forced to deal with. Most do not survive these encounters. You watch in horror as many of your friends, in pursuit of their mating partner, apparently mistake what is called an automobile for a possible mating partner. As this massive object moves toward you with those big bulging eyes, that look somewhat like yours, at seventy miles an hour, suddenly your world comes to an end. Splat! It’s all over. You are nothing more than another irritation that will eventually be sprayed and wiped away as the human mutters something about “those lousy Cicadas”. It ended too soon. You mission was not complete. Ah, the futility of it all. I think Solomon and some other writers also touched on that.
As you might have guessed by now I am not an Entomologist, and I do not pretend to know how a Cicada thinks, or if a Cicada thinks. What you have just read is nothing more than that one person’s ponderings of what life might be like for a Cicada.
Middle Tennessee has been in the midst of the 13-year Cicada invasion. Over the last several weeks the sound is at times almost deafening. The collective tones of the Cicada roll through the neighborhoods in waves…constant waves. In the distance it sounds like a strange ringing or roar. Even from within the confines our home the noise is, at best, annoyingly loud. The windshield of my car has been covered with Cicada remains. While this event of nature has been fascinating for those who study these sorts of things, for most of the average uninformed observers the fact that (as this article indicates) the end is near is good news.

WSMV-TV Channel 4, Nashville The end is near!!
http://www.wsmv.com/news/28126944/detail.html
Middle Tennessee Cicadas Dying Soon
www.wsmv.com

In spite of the annoyance and inconvenience of the noisy critters and dirty windshields, and regardless of whether we understand it or appreciate it, the Cicada appearance does remind us that from the beginning God had a plan and design for how He wanted His creation to operate. That is good enough for me.
And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." (Genesis 1: 20-22 NIV)

1 Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD from the heavens;
praise him in the heights above.
2 Praise him, all his angels;
praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
3 Praise him, sun and moon;
praise him, all you shining stars.
4 Praise him, you highest heavens
and you waters above the skies.
5 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for at his command they were created,
6 and he established them for ever and ever—
he issued a decree that will never pass away.
7 Praise the LORD from the earth,
you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,
8 lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
stormy winds that do his bidding,
9 you mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars,
10 wild animals and all cattle,
small creatures and flying birds,
11 kings of the earth and all nations,
you princes and all rulers on earth,
12 young men and women,
old men and children.
13 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for his name alone is exalted;
his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.
14 And he has raised up for his people a horn,[b]
the praise of all his faithful servants,
of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the LORD.
(Psalm 148, NIV)
Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 30 May 2011, 2:22 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 21 May 30, 2011
A Day of Memories

This is a day when people remember with honor those who have lost their lives in service to this nation. It is a day when husbands and wives will remember their mate who left for war and never returned. It is a day when mothers and fathers will remember their sons and daughters who boarded a train, or a plane, or a boat, or a bus ready to give their life if necessary, and they did. It is a day when sons and daughters will pay honor to the father that they never knew or to the mother that that knew for too short of a time.

This is a special day of remembering a select group of men and women who served and died so that we can have days of remembering. We are thankful for them all.

Every day is a day of memories, isn't it? Every day is a day of memories, not because it is designated a special day of remembering, but simply because it is today and memories are flowing through the minds of those blessed by the memories.

Memories are being shared of past Memorial Days filled with picnics, outings on the lake, at the beach, cookouts and Bar-B-Qs, homemade ice cream, and corn on the cob. Memories will be shared about the last time we saw Uncle Fred and Aunt Lizzie. Memories will be shared about how much the children have grown since last Memorial Day. There will be couples that share their memory their first Memorial Day together.

There is a mother who is remembering her son whose smile she will never see this side of heaven. There is a father who will never see the hopes and dreams he had for son come true. There is a sister who will never be able to share her childhood memories with her brother. There are friends who will share their memories of their friend.

There is a husband who will hang on to the memory of his last anniversary with is wife. There is a son who will forever remember the last time he heard his mother say, "I love you, son." There is a brother who will never again be able to say "Thank you for being such a great sister." There is a mother and father who share the memories of being parents to a beautiful daughter, and now have even stronger longings for the day when they too will reach their eternal home.

There is a son who strains to remember what his mother's voice sounds like. There is a son who holds on to a letter written by his father on his last day. There is a daughter who wishes she could have one more conversation with her father. There are sons and daughters who wish they could introduce their sons and daughters to their grandparents. There are grandchildren and great-grandchildren who are remembering and sharing the legacy passed on to them with hopes of it being passed on to future generations.

This, and every day, is a day of memories. These days of memories remind us of who we are, of where we have been, who we have become, and encourage us to make special memories to be cherished by those we will one day leave behind.

Tom

A Norvell Note (c) Copyright 2011. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 23 May 2011, 1:30 pm

A Norvell Note

Vol. 14 No. 20 May 23, 2011

Missing the Meal
I have never been one for missing meals, especially family meals. If the family is together, I like to be there. On this day however, due to a recent surgery I am missing a meal (actually several meals). The meal I am missing today is not one of favorite recipes or impressive culinary creations. The meal I am missing today is the meal that takes place when the family of God gathers around the table to remember what the Lord has done for us.

For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying,
“This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying,
“This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. (Luke 22:18-20, New International Version)

The significance of the meal extends beyond the small piece of bread or the tiny cup of grape juice that I take from a shiny silver tray every Sunday morning during the communion service. It is more than the breaking and the sipping and the songs. The meaning of the meal goes deep into the heart of what it means to be a family and what it means to be connected. Surely that is what Jesus had in mind when He initiated the meal.

He never meant for it to become routine, or ordinary, or boring. He meant for it to be a reminder for us that we are not alone, that we will never be alone, and that He will be with us always. He meant for us to remember that the body that assembles on these ordinary Sunday mornings has the potential to change the ordinary day into something extraordinary.

When we gather for the meal we have the opportunity to see our brothers and sisters in the shadow of the cross and realize that we have come together as forgiven sons and daughters of the King of Kings. When we share the meal we have the opportunity to remember the suffering that Jesus experienced so that we can be forgiven sons and daughters. We have the opportunity to say “Thank You” to the One who died for us. We have opportunity to rejoice with one another, to share our hearts with one another, and to experience genuine communion…real oneness.

Because of the frequency of the event and the distractions of life I have not always experienced the presence of the Lord in dynamic and real ways. There are times when travel or illness has prevented being physically present at the meal. But, the meal is always significant. The conversation before and after the meal is significant. The fellowship of believers that accompanies the meal is significant. The expressions of love for the Lord and devotion to one another are significant. The meal and all that goes with it is significant because of the One who issued the invitation for us to gather with Him for the meal. I cannot fathom receiving an invitation to the meal from the Lord of Lords and ignoring it or turning it down. I do not like to think about the family gathering for a meal and me not being included. Jesus could imagine that either.

If all goes well next week I will again gather with my brothers and sisters – those that assemble locally and those scattered around the world – for the meal of remembrance and hope.

Today I am missing the meal. I’ve missed it before. Chances are I will miss it again. But, today I miss it and that is significant.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 16 May 2011, 11:44 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 19 May 16, 2011
Graduation
To the Graduate
First, Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, “I find no pleasure in them”—(Ecclesiastes 12:1, New International Version)
Second, let me say congratulations. Whether you are graduating from high school, college, technical school, or with an advanced degree, congratulations on sticking with it. You have no doubt worked hard and now you are seeing some of the rewards of your labors.
Third, enjoy this time. Celebrate! Celebrate big! Celebrate in wise and healthy ways! Celebrate with the people (parents, grandparents, spouses, and friends) who have been supporting you financially, mentally, emotionally and spiritually through these years of study and preparation.
Fourth, say thank you. Although this time is about you, it’s also about those same people mentioned above who have been watching you grow, praying for your wellbeing, and investing in your success. Say thank you, not only for the gifts you receive, but also for the time, the patience, the instruction, the correction, and did I mention patience, that they shared with you. Don’t forget your teachers and coaches. They too have invested themselves in your life. Let them know you appreciate them.
Fifth, remember to include them in your future. Some of you are ready to on your way, live your own life, and get on what you have always wanted to do. That’s a good thing. You need to do that. But, these folks who have walked with you through the years are still interested in you. They still want to know your dreams. They still care about what happens to you. This is especially important as your plans and your dreams change. Include them (some of them) in your ideas. Listen to their counsel. Don’t forget them, or discard them. There may come a day when you will once again need them.

Sixth, continue your education. Perhaps you are done with formal education. No more diplomas or degrees for you! But, don’t stop learning. Don’t stop listening. Don’t stop seeking wise counsel. Your journey, in many ways, is just now beginning. You know a lot and you’ve learned a lot, but there is always more to learn.

To the Parents (Grandparents, Legal Guardians)
First, remember these words: Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6, New International Version)
Second, let me also say congratulations to you. You have done your part to get your child through this phase of their life. You’ve prayed. You’ve helped with homework. You’ve waited in parking lots. You’ve attended programs, ballgames, recitals, awards presentations, concerts, and parent-teacher conferences. Way to go!
Third, release your grip. As good as these days of watching your child reach his dream, there is an element of sadness as you see them take one more step toward their independence. It is time for him to branch out more on his own and it’s time for you to gently nudge him out of the nest. Release your grip, but assure him that he will always be your son. Remind him that he will always have a home. Release him into God’s hands.
Fourth, trust your parenting. If you have done your homework as a parent, now is the time (another time) when you must trust that you’ve done the best you can do, and with God’s help the good work He has done through you in the life of your daughter will have the impact He wants it to have. Trust and know that although things are changing she will always be your daughter, and that she will always know that you and the Lord love her.
Fifth, keep parenting. Whether the plans are to pursue a college degree, get married, join the military, travel, or to move across the country to start a career, your role as a parent has not ended. Although the frequency with which they seek your advice becomes less, the importance of knowing you are there when they need you is just as important. Be available. Be appropriately involved. Accept your changing role. Enjoy their growth and independence. Stay in touch. Don’t wait for them to call.

Sixth, keep praying.
Graduation is a wonderful time for families to experience the blessings of being a family. Celebrate together. Rejoice with one another. Enjoy these days.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 09 May 2011, 11:42 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 18 May 9, 2011
The Paper Shredder
I killed our paper shredder. Not intentionally, mind you. It was an honest mistake. I simply tried to push too much paper into the shredder at one time. That was not a good idea. It did not work. I tried to clean it out. I dug. I reversed. I dug more. I reversed again. I tried to take it apart. That also was not a good idea. It got worse. It died. I felt bad. (I tried to convince my wife that it was her fault. Again, not such a good idea.)
I now have a new shredder. This one is bigger, better, and bad-der that the first one. This one will shred 6 sheets of paper at one time, has a 3-Mode switch, and can shred credit cards. It has a 3.7-gallon wastebasket and a 3-year cutter warranty. Hmmm. I also see this in the owner’s manual: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR BY OPENING THE SHREDDER HEAD. This will completely void the product warranty. (I wonder if the old shredder had a manual that said that? Probably would not have changed the outcome.)
After concluding that the old shredder was actually dead I headed to the local super chain store that sells everything you could possibly need at a discount price to purchase a new one. On the drive there I began the think about the purpose of a paper shredder and why I felt compelled to replace the one that had been destroyed due to operator error.
The purpose of a paper shredder is to shred paper. Not just any paper. This is not a toy! This highly technical piece of office equipment is use to destroy paper that may contain vital and personal information that you do not want anyone else to see and prevent possible identity theft. (Did I mention the new one can shred credit cards?) We have one at the office that regularly gets a good workout shredding outdated materials, sensitive financial information, and sermon notes that I don’t want anyone to see. A paper shredder is almost essential in today’s world. There are even companies who have huge paper shredders that can shred massive amounts of paper. (I doubt I could jam one of those.) What a world we live in!
As I reflected upon the value of paper shredders I began to think of how cool it would be if we had something that do the same thing with our sin: A Sin Shredder. Something where we could take our sins and have them destroyed so that no one could ever see them. A sin shredder would be able to get rid of all the ugliness in our lives. A sin shredder would protect our identity. A sin shredder would enable us to start every day fresh and new knowing that our past sins have been cleaned away.
Good news! We have a just such a sin shredder in Jesus. There is no need go to the local super chain store that sells everything you could possibly need at a discount price to purchase one. You already have one. It’s the cross. It’s the blood that was shed on the cross for our sins. It’s the forgiveness of our sins. It’s the resurrected Lord. It’s the Son of God. It’s Jesus.
He came to take away our sins. He took our sins with Him to the cross. He destroyed our sin. He made it possible to clear away all our sin. When we were powerless to do anything about them, He took them.
Paul described the ultimate sin shredder this way: “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:6-8, NIV)
Matthew said it like this: Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.” (Matthew 26:27-29, NIV)
The new paper shredder is working just fine and I have no intentions of trying to make it do more than it is capable of doing. On the other hand, our Sin Shredder can handle it all. In fact, He has already handled it. He has taken away my sins, your sins, and the sins of the whole world. So, the next time you push that piece of paper into a shredder, or the next time you take a piece of the Bread and a drink of Wine, pause for a moment and thank God for all the sins He has taken away.
Praise be God our sins have been taken away!

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 02 May 2011, 9:07 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 17 May 2, 2011
After the Storm

The first three days of the workweek brought rain, wind, waves of severe storms, repeated storm warnings, and deadly tornadoes throughout the Southeastern states. News reports and weather updates revealed the horrific realities left in the path of one of the worst storms on record. Entire neighborhoods and communities have been destroyed. Hundreds of lives have been lost. Thousands more confused, distressed, and forever changed.

On Thursday clear blue skies and sweet spring breezes provided some degree of comfort and hope that in spite of the tragic scenes of death and destruction God is still with us and He will never leave us.

“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:37-39, NIV)

As I reflect on the events of the past week I am reminded of difficult times when giving up was the more attractive alternative compared to hanging on and staying in the battle. Quitting seemed easier. Shutting down made more sense.

It seemed that ending a relationship was an easier path than working to heal the brokenness.

It seemed that going to another job was easier than staying with the company as it transitions through a new phase of development.

It seemed that a compromise of integrity held greater appeal and offered more rewards than honesty and loyalty to the company.

I also recall times when hanging on for one more day, taking one more step, and giving it one more shot brought unimaginable rewards.

It was just when I thought I could not handle one more disappointment that I somehow found the strength to take another risk and was rewarded with an unexplained sense of confidence.

It was when life had become almost unbearable that somehow God gave the strength to live one more day that an unexpected blessing brought hope and strength to keep going.

It was just about the time when I could see almost no reason to deal with the challenges I faced that God brought relief and hope.

It seems as if the message from God as we go through hard times is this: “I know the future is dark, but if you can hole on just one more day, I have something beautiful waiting for you.”

As some of you read this you are facing incredible challenges involved in rebuilding your home, your hopes, or your heart. Stay with it a little longer. Give it one more try. God is waiting on the other side with something astonishing.

As you near the end of a long and difficult school year and you are tired of studying and tired of teaching and tired of our students. Stay with a few more days and see what God has waiting for you.

After the storm comes the sunshine. After the storm comes the breeze. After the storm comes the healing. After the storm comes new life. Wait for it. Look for it. Find joy in it.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 25 Apr 2011, 1:01 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 16 April 25, 2011
Has Anyone Seen God?
Somebody is watching you. It may be someone know, someone you have never met, or someone you may never meet. It may be a child. It may be a friend. It may be one of your parents. It may be your neighbor. It may the lady in the cubicle next to yours. It may be the guy down the hall in the apartment building. I may be lady who checks you in at the airline booth. It may be the woman who cleans the table before you are seated. Somebody is watching you.
What do they see? What do you want them to see? For those who are followers of Jesus the desire is for them to see not you, not your actions, but Jesus Christ. As God’s children we people to see God. For those being led by the Spirit, and walking by the Spirit Paul we long for people to see the fruit of the Spirit.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:22-25, NIV)
Many times we equate the works of the Spirit, and the manifestations of the Spirit with acts of high visibility resulting in profound impact upon the masses of humanity. Too often we feel less important if our contributions involve simple demonstrations of love, or private deeds of kindness.
Probably more than we realize those people who are watching us are not looking for or expecting to see the glamorous or the spectacular. Most likely the people in your life, the people who are looking for a glimpse of the Savior in you will be affected for good by you consistent walk in the Spirit where the fruit of the Spirit is evident.
People will see God in you as you respond to a harsh comment or an unjust criticism with gentleness and self-control.
People will see God in you when you remain faithful to the Lord in times of intense struggle and hardship, instead of giving up.
People will see God when you do good to someone who cannot pay you back and expect nothing in return.
People will see God when you are kind to them whether they deserve it or not.
People will see God as you exercise patience when you are under pressure and those around you are not performing up to their potential.
People will see God when you allow God’s peace to flow from you as chaos fills the room and all around you are losing their cool.
People will see God when His Spirit fills you with such joy that people leave you wondering where the joy comes from.
People will see God when you love them like Jesus would love the.
Someone is watching you. They are watching you, but they are hoping to see God. You may be the vessel God has chosen to reveal Himself to those who are watching you.
May you be so filled with God’s Spirit this week that when people listen to you talk, they will hear Jesus and when you serve, they will see Jesus.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:18 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 14 April 11, 2011
One Thing I Know

John tells the story of the man blind from birth as Jesus gives him his sight. The man invokes considerable conversation concerning the reason for his blindness, then the reason for his newfound ability to see. It is clear from the text that Jesus’ purpose for the miracle was to demonstrate His power as the Son of God, as well as to make it possible for God the Father to become more visible.

As the story unfolds the man is brought before the leaders of religion for questioning. They question his integrity: “Were you really blind?” They question his parent’s integrity: “Was your son really born blind?” They question him about Jesus: “Surely he is a sinner. Don’t you agree?”

He replies, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!” (John 9:25, NIV)

The man’s response is refreshingly simple. “All I know for sure is that I was blind and now I can see.”

He’s not concerned about the details of how it happened. He’s not concerned about the motives of the one who healed him. He’s not really concerned about what these keepers of the law think about it. His concern is that he was blind and now he can see.

We can learn much from this man. It is not necessary to have all the answers to be a powerful influence. Our message of faith does not have to be complicated or outrageous. Our testimony does not have to be overly dramatic or littered with scandal. Our story simply needs to be honest, from the heart, and centered around God.

I was blind but now I can see.

I was sick but now I am well.

I was rejected but now I am loved.

I was empty but now I am full.

I was dirty but now I am clean.

I was weary but now I am refreshed.

I was crippled but now I can walk.

I was dead but now I am alive.

My family was falling apart now we are one.

Our church was breaking apart now we are united.

Our marriage was on the about to end now we are in love again.

God has given each of us a story of being healed, a story of faith, a story of hope, a story of salvation, a story of reconciliation and restoration, or a story that reveals God’s mighty power and faithfulness.

I was lost but now I’m found.

Don’t worry about explaining it all, trying to us descriptive words, or whether or not people believe what you say. Just tell your story of what God has done or is doing in your life. Just tell what you have seen and what you have heard. Just tell what you know. Tell the one thing that you know is true.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next