World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyToday at 12:25 am by Admin

» Israel 365 News
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 11:42 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 11:37 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 11:34 pm by Admin

» israelAM
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 11:30 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 11:03 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 10:15 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 9:26 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 11:21 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:34 pm by Admin

» AISH
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:18 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:02 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 12:08 am by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 11:32 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 11:21 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 10:47 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 10:42 pm by Admin

» Strangling Israel slowly
GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 EmptyMon 15 Apr 2024, 11:37 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 Empty Re: GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE

Post  Admin Sun 16 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm

Courageous Living --- Service
Part 5 of 5
By Preston Gillham

A courageous man serves from a heart in tune with his Father's heart. The life of Christ will only become meaningful as you demonstrate it by allowing Him to live His life through you. We are all imitators and we are all leaders. Accept this fact. We already know the importance of having trusted men stand with us in life, but we must also make those closest to us part of our lives and stand by them.

In his book about fathers and sons, Bill Hanson writes about the relationship he has with his young son, Miles:

"If I am mowing the lawn, Miles mows the lawn also. If I am reading paper, Miles reads the paper. If I am thirsty, so is Miles. Amazing, but he is imitating my steps as I once copied my own father's. Here is the cycle of life. We learn from our fathers, so we can teach our children."

Bill Hanson, Father and Son: The Bond (Austin, TX: Bright Books, 1996), p. 2.

Being a servant is not a meek, mild job. It is the job of a warrior, and it requires great courage. A servant who serves by choice of his will is secure in his identity and source. As a matter of fact, he is secure enough to lay his life down on behalf of another. Jesus Christ was the most courageous, strong man who ever lived. But His strength was not only exhibited when He drove the money changers out of the temple. It was also demonstrated when he went to bat for the woman caught in adultery, invited Himself to Zaccheus' home for dinner, stopped to find out who touched His robe, and offered redemption to his friend, Peter, who had failed him miserably.

Being a dad is only one of the arenas where men are called upon to handle themselves courageously, but let me share a letter that came to our office written on the back of two door hangers. As you will see, this brother works for a cable company and door hangers were the stationery available at the time.

"Just a note saying thanks for your broadcast! I listen to WMBW in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

If there was a contest for listening to your program in the most unusual places it would have to be mine. When you are on the air I am usually 30-40 feet in the air up a power pole!

Enjoying your topic on being masculine and what it means. Being masculine to me means holding my 5 year old daughter protecting her from the lightening while reading her favorite story for the hundredth time. Or, camping with my 10 year old boy and explaining why God designed the bark on a tree for its protection and how He cared enough about us for that same tree to die so we can enjoy the fire we now have to cook our food.

In other words, masculinity is spending time with our children. Kids will long forget the 'prizes' or 'gifts' we give them before the memories of the time we spent with them fade away.

Thanks for your ministry."

In the context of courage, we have talked briefly about love, prayer, a disciplined lifestyle, encouragement, and a servant's heart. These are just a few of the ways we offer practical redemption.

Brother, you can do these things and adopt these roles because you are secure in your significance. Make yourself vulnerable, share your heart, be transparent, you are anchored deeply enough to withstand whatever comes your way.

But I must remind you, you won't get these things done by resolving to try harder or promising to do better. Remember, that is not the Father's plan. He intends for you to depend upon Him as your source. Doing otherwise is walking after the flesh and disappointing to your Father, not to mention the bad example of masculinity it portrays for those who are watching you to see what manhood means. Trusting your Father is not an arrangement of convenience or a provision for those critical junctures when you realize you are sliding toward the ditch. If you intend to find satisfaction in your heart and fulfillment in your masculinity, depending upon your Father must be your lifestyle. C.S. Lewis writes, "Christ says, 'Give me all. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want you.'"

For Lifetime Guarantee, that's eGrace.

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET

"ENTERING INTO HIS RE ST"      
    by Russell S. Miller

"God rested the seventh day from all His works" (Heb.4:4), a reference to the six days of creation as recorded in Genesis 1:1-2:2, and an exhortation that you cease your works and rest in the power of Almighty God.

But Moses himself, through unbelief, failed to enter, and rest, in the land of promise (Heb.4:6; Nu.20:7-13; Deut.34:1-8). Since he had already "smitten" the rock once (Ex.17:1-7), the Lord now instructed him to "speak" (Nu.20:8) to the rock, for the "Rock" smitten once typifies Christ's death on Calvary (ICor.10:4; Heb.10:10-14). A "word" humbly "spoken" in the wilderness (Ex.17:1-7) would bring forth the water of life freely, but Moses "smote the rock", not once, but "twice" (Nu.20:11). His anger with Israel, "ye rebels", revealed his unbelief also, for Christ was not to be "smitten twice" (Nu.20:8). 

Nevertheless in John 4:14 we see the "water" that Christ gives is a "well of water springing up into everlasting life".Under the leadership of Moses and Joshua, it is apparent that though Israel entered Canaan, they failed to enter His rest.

"And they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief" (Heb.4:6).

Even David and his valiant men could not bring Israel into His rest because of unbelief (Heb.4:7).

"For if [Joshua] had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day" (4:8).

>From David unto Christ, Israel would not enter into His rest, "although the works were finished from the foundation of the world" (Heb.4:3; Rev.13:8), a reference to the "forbearance" of God as Paul declares in Romans 3:25,26.

"Jesus", Hebrews 4:8 in our KJV, refers not only to Joshua, but He whom Joshua typified, our Lord Jesus Christ. Under His Divine Leadership Israel rejected the Millennial Rest of His glorious reign (Luke 19:14). See also Romans 10:3,4.

But there remains "a rest" to all those who will place their faith and trust in our "Great High Priest...JESUS the Son of God" (Heb.4:14-16).

"FOR HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, HE ALSO HATH CEASED FROM HIS OWN WORKS, AS GOD DID FROM HIS" (Heb.4:10).

Again in Romans, Abraham is God's great example of faith:

"For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
"For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and...his faith is counted for righteousness" (Rom.4:2-8).

Isn't it about time that you also ceased from your so-called "good works". Trust the Lord Jesus Christ alone as your Saviour for salvation, and His finished work on Calvary's cross, and enter into His rest, by grace through faith?

"IN WHOM WE HAVE REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD, THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, ACCORDING TO THE RICHES OF HIS GRACE" (Eph.1:7).

Our Purpose and Mission

The ministry of "Grace and The Truth" has the purpose of encouraging Christians to believe what God says. 

Message  "CHRIST" Rom. 16:25, Col. 1:28
Material   "All Scripture, 2 Tim. 3:16, 17
Method   "Rightly Dividing The Word of Truth, 2 Tim. 2:15
Mission   "To Make All See"  Eph. 3:9

"But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ." Eph.2:13. 

We are dedicated to helping Christians to a fuller knowledge of Him, and the Grace of God. Until we all come into the Unity, Ephesians 4:13 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:" 

We are wiling to help you on this journey just give us a call,  1 623 546 8866, Paris

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 Empty Re: GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE

Post  Admin Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:38 pm

Courageous Living --- Encouragement
Part 4 of 5
by Preston Gillham

I implore you, trust Christ, depend upon your Father, live life in this vibrant relationship and encourage others to follow your lead.

When Paul says to his readers, "Be imitators of me" (1 Corinthians 11:1) he wasn't being arrogant. He was being realistic. People are going to follow, to imitate, and they are going to model themselves after influential leaders.

These titles: Man, Dad, Granddad, husband, friend, and mentor are all titles bestowing some degree of leadership, and therefore, some degree of responsibility. If you are the bearer of any of these titles, you are expected to lead, not in the same way a sergeant leads, but through your lifestyle.

If you are a man, you are expected to be anchored. For example, when strength is needed, a man is expected to be strong. Accepting this responsibility is not arrogance but necessity. Encouraging your kids, your friends, your colleagues, your wife, and all those others you are associated with to follow your lead in life as you follow Christ's means you are acting like a strong man. It might be good to reference 1 Corinthians 16:13 again: "Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong."

This doesn't mean you stand up on your desk at work and take charge or announce at the dinner table you are the boss and have it all under control. Lead by example. The blueprint calls for leadership in life exemplified through your life. This is leadership through love, communication, discipline, and encouragement emanating from your warrior heart-a heart committed to your Father's cause. A courageous man leads and encourages by taking his little girl's hand, his boy's shoulder, or his wife's arm.

It is courageous leadership when a man stands beside his friend who has lost everything he held dear in order that he might be encouraged toward the One who is most dear.

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 13 Nov 2014, 10:25 pm

Courageous Living --Discipline
Part 3 of 5
By Preston Gillham

A courageous man lives a disciplined life that demonstrates the important elements of life and transfers those priorities to those within his sphere of influence. A disciplined life is a life with structure and parameters. 

Please don't hear me talking about rigidity or advocating the adoption of standards that squelch spontaneity. In actuality, it is discipline that creates the fertile soil where creativity, spontaneity, and the courage to look at life uniquely flourishes most readily. An undisciplined life breeds insecurity and wastes time, the precious commodity we talked about earlier. A courageous man disciplines his life according to his Father's priorities.

Guard yourself and those you love against legalism disguised as discipline. Legalism is all about control, performance-based acceptance, and rules devised by insecure folks -- even though well-meaning --- who are threatened by the uniqueness of the human spirit and the profound grace of God to meet us at any point in life. 

Discipline, on the other hand, sets us free to follow our Father's lead and examine all He has in store for us. The security offered by legalism is a limited perspective looking through a well-defined key-hole. The security of a disciplined lifestyle rests in the strong arms of our Father and views the broad horizon of life from heaven's reaches. 

The difficulty in distinguishing between legalism and discipline often arises because both legalism and discipline can be preached from God's Word. However, knowing your Father's heart, as well as your own, and following both provides the discernment necessary to distinguish legalism from discipline. 

It is a timid soul who puts himself and God in a legalistic box to maintain the status quo of today. A courageous man views himself and his life from God's perspective and steps into the future with the discipline of a well-anchored, confident, and secure man.

Lord God of my salvation, thank You for the glorious message of the gospel.  I rejoice that You have taken me out from under the law. I now know that I am your inheritance, I know you are my life, and know that it is you Lord Jesus who brings forth spiritual fruit in me, and all the praise belongs to you.  May Your name be exalted, Amen.

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Nov 2014, 7:51 pm

Courageous Living -- Prayer
Part 2 of 5
By Preston Gillham

A courageous man is a man of prayer. But before you conjure up an image of yourself kneeling in your closet for an hour with a list, you need to know a courageous man of prayer is a man who communicates with his Father while doing what he needs to do and never dropping his guard against the insidious enemy he faces. 

The Scripture says we are to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). This can only mean God intends prayer to occur in all venues of life: kneeling, lying down, eating, riding, walking, running, working, loving, caring, kissing the kids good night, going to the ball game, the theater, fishing... although I must admit, I pray all the time when I'm fishing and it doesn't do any good. 

Prayer is doing with God what God has already done with you. Said another way, God has shared everything He has with you, all of His hopes, dreams, aspirations, convictions, disappointments, hurts, and even the life of His eldest son in anticipation of your responding at the same level. 

Courageous prayer is communicating with your Father and taking those closest to you on your journey toward His heart. As you communicate with them from your heart, and let them observe you doing the same with your Father, they see a model of the relationship you have with Him both through your communication with them and your communication with God.

O Lord, my strength, make my life a daily witness,
 declaring in word, deed, and attitude that Jesus is alive.
 Lord, my own abilities will never be sufficient to accomplish this.
 So,
 I humbly pray,
 empower me by Your Holy Spirit,
 in   Christ Jesus , Amen.

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:22 pm

Courageous Living 
Part 1 of 5
By Preston Gillham

Almost twenty years ago a man I know called his family together, lined them up in the family room, and beginning with the four-year-old, told each of them he didn't need them in his life. Last in line was his shell-shocked wife. "I don't need you. I don't love you. I'm leaving. The divorce papers will arrive in a few days."

And with that, he left to sleep in the arms of a younger woman and seek personal fulfillment through irresponsibility. His statement to the family as he turned tail to run is very revealing. He thought life was about other people taking care of him. He defined his masculinity by going to bed with another woman. He either missed, or ignored, the fact God intended for a man to be an instrument of redemption who lays his life down rather than pick it up.

A courageous man serves as Christ served, by laying his life down on behalf of those He loves. This may mean stepping into the line of fire, but it can also mean sharing your heart and soul with transparent honesty.

Time is life, and giving your time is like giving your life. A courageous man knows the importance of taking those he loves with him through life. Manhood is a code of honor, an ethic of integrity, a lifestyle of strength, and a confident security better observed than discussed, participated in rather than talked about. When a man gives of himself, lays his life down, and positions himself as an instrument of redemption he is taking up his God-ordained station in life.

We have Jesus Christ living inside us, sticking closer than a brother. The heritage our forefather, Adam, bequeathed to us haunts our flesh and stands in our memory as a profound failure of what our Father intended a man to be. We can opt to walk the same course Adam did, declare ourselves independent agents, discredit our Father's reputation, nurture shame, and fail in our task as men. Or we can choose to walk the way our elder brother did, depending upon our Heavenly Father, and let Him be our strength, source, significance, and security. In so doing, we determine to succeed in our role as men and take up our station in life as instruments of redemption.

How the enemy of God would love for us to praise the Lord we have found security as men, then fail to realize we will only know the true meaning of life if we lay our lives down.

Men provide life by giving their own life away. This is what those men have done who died for our country. When we walk past the war memorials in Washington, D.C. the reverence we give and the honor we feel is because we know their selfless service makes it possible for us to live the lives we live. On a more routine basis, this is what a man does who gives his life by sharing it with those he loves, even if it is as simple as a walk. And the ability of another person to live as God intended for them to live is the reverence and honor given because we laid down our lives.

Instead of languishing under the weight of shame left to us by Adam, we can cloak ourselves in the courage of Christ as the strong, secure men we are. This is the foundation equipping us to build a life of practical redemption for those closest to us. A courageous man loves, not because those he loves perform like he wants them to, but because of who he is and who they are. He loves because he is a loving person and because they need his love. He loves because Love Himself lives in him.

For Lifetime Guarantee, that's eGrace.

THOUGHT FOR THIS WEEK

God has predestined us "to be conformed to the image of His Son" (Romans 8:29). Therefore, when you are finally evangelized and people look at you, they should see the image of the Lord Jesus Christ. This is what God has always had in mind for us, from the eternal ages of the past. 

VERY GOOD LISTEN TO AND SO TRUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0heL2Czeraw

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 2:03 pm

DEFECTIVE BEGINNING 
By Miles Stanford 

"Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 3:24). 

Are we aware of the importance of a personal assurance of salvation? Healthy spiritual growth is founded upon it. Many Christians seem unable to enter Romans Six and Eight simply because they are not truly established in Romans Three, Four and Five. Full assurance as to our eternal security in the Lord Jesus is the basis for the ever-deepening experience of our identification with Him. 

"The defect in souls in general is the incompleteness of their conversion. It is pardon that is apprehended and not acceptance. Acceptance embraces God's side ----how He feels, and this should be chief, for we as sinners have offended Him. The offender has been removed from His eye by a Man --- the Lord Jesus Christ, and He can receive us on the ground of the Man who glorified Him in bearing our judgment. 

"We cannot enjoy acceptance but in the way in which it was acquired or effected for us, and if we are in the acceptance we know that no improvement of the flesh could commend us to God, and that we cannot be before Him but in Christ. But if we are in any degree dark as to the crucifixion of the old man, we are not in acceptance experientially, we are not in the daily benefit of it, and our liberty by the Spirit can never go beyond our conscious acceptance." -- J.B.S. 

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death" (Rom. 8:2). 

Our Purpose and Mission

The ministry of "Grace and The Truth" has the purpose of encouraging Christians to believe what God says. 

We read in in Ephesians. 1:18 "The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints," and in Colossians 2:2 " That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgment (epignosis) true knowledge of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ".

We are dedicated to helping Christians to a fuller knowledge of Him, and the Grace of God. Until we all come into the Unity, Ephesians 4:13 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:" 

We are wiling o help you on this journey just give us a call,  1 623 546 8866, Paris

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

Why Christ was Born
By Charles Wages
Time is very important to God, but only as it relates to "His time" not the chronological cogitations and calculations of man. Sometimes men get carried away with "when" Christ was born and are prone to forget "why" He was born. Why did Christ come into this sin-cursed, impoverished world? This question must be carefully considered in depth, for it involves many purposes.

He Came to Fulfill God's Prophecies Concerning Israel

The well-known and oft-quoted passage in Isaiah 9:6-7 speaks of His taking the government upon His shoulder and sitting upon the throne of His father, David.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this."

Note that nothing is prophesied of His being the Head of the Church (Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18).

The lengthy words of Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, in Luke 1 speak of Christ's coming to fulfill the great expectations of God's people, Israel.

"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, and hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; as he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began." (Luke 1:68-70)

We find out from the gospel accounts and the book of Acts that His people Israel never really understood, believed, or accepted this wonderful Person, their Christ and Redeemer. They crucified Him! (Acts 2:22-24). They did not and still do not accept why He came.

He Came to Seek and to Save That Which Was Lost

However, we know, as has already been stated, that there were a multitude of reasons for Christ's coming into the world, even if we don't know when exactly. The Lord Jesus, while in the house of Zacchaeus, said very simply,

"For the Son of man is come to seek and save that which was lost." (Luke 19:10)

It seems as if He was enlarging upon this great truth of salvation. It was not just Israel, but the whole world was in His heart. It is remarkable to read what the Apostle Paul had to say in 1 Timothy 1:15,

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."

This verifies the words of Jesus in Luke 19:10 and makes it ever so personal. Not just sinners in general, but a sinner in particular. This is what everyone needs to do. Not just to think of a birth on a certain day; not just the "world" given a time to celebrate; not just a time of economic boom, but of sober and serious reflection of our sinful state and our inability to save ourselves. He came to die for our sins. He came to die for the Apostle Paul's sins. He came to die for my sins.

He Came to Reconcile All Things to Himself

"And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven" (Col. 1:20).

Note that "in earth" relates to God's earthly people, Israel, while "in heaven" relates to His heavenly people, the Church.

How did He accomplish this? We are told in Colossians 1:22,

"In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight."

What a purpose! What an answer to, "Why did Christ come?"! We need to see that God's great sacred secret, concerning the Church, which is His body, has now been revealed. This was accomplished by His death on the cross, His burial, His resurrection, and His ascension into glory. He is there now, officiating as the Head over His body, the Church (Eph. 1:19-23). When we come to realize why He came, why He died and arose, and believe it in our hearts, His wonderful birth becomes so much more meaningful. One doesn't have to know when He came in order to be saved. One doesn't have to celebrate a day in order to be saved. However, none will ever be saved from sin until they know why He came and accept it in sincerity and truth.

How thankful we should be that He was born, lived among men, and died for the sins of the whole world. His birth means so much more.

Our Purpose and Mission

We are dedicated to helping Christians to a fuller knowledge of Him, and the Grace of God. Until we all come into the Unity, Ephesians 4:13 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" 

OUR COMMISSION IN THE AGE OF GRACE IS:

2Co 5:16-21  Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more.  Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;  To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.   Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.  For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm

by Pastor Kevin Sadler

“Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure” (Phil. 2:12,13).

Perhaps you have seen the Christian slogan, “Exercise Daily.  Walk with the Lord!”  Essentially, that is what the Apostle Paul is calling for when he requests for the Philippians to “work out your own salvation.”  When Paul makes this statement, he has already acknowledged that he is writing to “saints” (Phil. 1:1), to believers who were positionally in Christ, set apart from sin and set apart to God.  Paul does not say to “work for your own salvation,” but to work“out” the salvation God had already given them.  Scripture is clear that salvation today is all of grace through faith, not of works,lest any man should boast (Eph. 2:8,9).  Salvation must first be worked in before it can be worked out.

The Philippians are instructed here by Paul to “work out,” to put into practice in their daily experience what God had wrought in them by His Spirit.  When we trust the all-sufficient provision made for us by Christ’s death and resurrection, salvation is worked in by the Spirit (Titus 3:5).  And salvation is worked out by the Spirit through our faith and obedience to God’s Word (Rom. 8:11).

Working out your salvation is about living the way you were saved: by grace through faith in Christ (Col. 2:6).  Salvation is found in a Person.  Christ is our salvation.  At the moment of trusting Him alone for our salvation, Christ’s life is in-worked in us.  Paul says in Colossians 1:27 that all who have trusted the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior have “Christ in you, the hope of glory.”  After salvation from sin’s penalty, God desires Christ’s life to be outworked practically in our lives, so others see His life in our life.  As we do so through the Spirit’s power, by the Word, in faith, we work out our own salvation and our lives will exhibit Christ-like attributes (cf. Gal. 5:22,23).  To workout our salvation is also to live in victory over sin in our daily lives,experiencing salvation over sin’s power by God’s resurrection power within, living righteously in the life and freedom we have in Christ (Rom.6:1-13).

Verse 12 shows us there is human responsibility to our Christian lives as we are told to “work.”  Effort must be put into the Christian life,effort to grow, effort to know the Word, effort to pray, effort to serve,and effort to be in fellowship with others.  And Paul says that we are to work out our own salvation “with fear and trembling.”  These terms show us that the outworking of our salvation must be done realizing the seriousness of the Christian life in living before a lost and dying world.  We live “in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation[generation]” and God would have us shine brightly and boldly for Him“as lights in the world” (Phil. 2:15).  Working out our own salvation with fear and trembling also reminds us of our own weakness and inability to live the Christian life in our own strength.  We should rightly fear and distrust our own ability to meet God’s will and instruction.  We need to humbly trust in Him and not in ourselves to live godly lives.  By His power we work out our own salvation and can show Christ’s life in us.

Paul is talking about the believer’s practical, daily sanctification here and he shows both the believer’s responsibility and God’s role in it.  Verse 12 could not be carried out without the reality of verse 13.  We could never work out our own salvation and grow and mature to be more like Christ without God working in us.  God does not ask of us what we can’t do, and He Himself is our provision.  The Christian life is a process of “ins” and “outs.”  God works in and we work out.  As God works in us and we grow spiritually in Him and His Word and prayer, we then work out His life and light, serving Him and others.

I Thessalonians 2:13 says, “the Word of God effectually worketh…in you that believe.”  God works in us by His Word,and changes our will and desires as we grow and apply it.  Our minds,attitude, priorities, worldview, and understanding of life are transformed by the Word of God.  Through it we learn to see the world through His eyes and feel with His heart.  As God works in us by the Word, His “will”becomes ours, and we will seek to “do” things of “His good pleasure” (Phil. 2:13).  And to will and do of God’s good pleasure is about “Look[ing] not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others” (Phil. 2:4).  God’s will and desire is for us to put the needs of others first, in love, like Christ did for us at the Cross (Phil. 2:5-8).

In Ephesians 3:20, Paul writes, “Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us.”  Paul says the unlimited power by which Almighty God is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask in prayer is the same power that works in us.  So there is no limit to what God can do in and through you and me.  As God works in us, He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think,or could ever conceive, or possibly imagine through you and me!            

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:05 pm

God’s Word at our Fingertips 
Part 7
By Chuck Schiedler

Peter proceeds to say, “To whom it was revealed that they were not ministering these things in relation to themselves but for you, which things now were announced to you through those having proclaimed the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit having been sent from heaven, into which things angels earnestly desire to look” (1 Pet. 1:12). This verse contains two pertinent truths. First, prophesies written centuries ago were intended to be taken literally by both those who wrote them and the ones who read them. Second, Peter states “those having proclaimed the gospel” were delivering these prophetic teachings “by the Holy Spirit having been sent from heaven”. Summarizing, we are able to search the Scripture to learn about divine truth which is applicable during the historical framework of time.

Conclusion
I hope these verses and commentary have been thought provoking. The same Spirit who energizes Scripture resides in all believers giving the potential to transition from our natural agnostic condition – a state in which we do not know what is true – toward an understanding of the Creator’s will for our lives.

We live in a world without divine absolutes. The philosophies we encounter are a mix of relativistic ideas none of which come close to providing a basis for men to know the true God or understand His righteous standards. Satan is truly the “god of this age”, and he is “walking around seeking someone to devour” (2 Cor. 4:4; 1 Pet. 5:8). The only way to avoid being deceived by his crafty ways is to take refuge in God’s truth and power available through the Scriptures (Eph. 2:2; 4:13-15; 6:10-20). For, we are in an unmistakable spiritual battle. If we want to finish up victorious we need to first believe God’s Word. Then, we need to utilize His Spirit for the power to come out on top in the midst of this earthly conflict (Rom. 8:9-39; Gal. 5:16-26; 1 John 4:4). Those who do not use these provisions will be caught in the same philosophical dilemma which Pontius Pilate found himself in when he asked “What is truth?” in reaction to Jesus’ reference about truth in their discussion (John 18:38)

Philosophically speaking, if the Bible were simply words from men, it could carry no greater weight than other human writings. We would be left without a standard to follow. Furthermore, if the Scriptures are not taken literally they will be interpreted according to each person’s whim, which again voids the possibility of having a firm foundation for one’s faith. Regardless of the reason, those who do not accept the Word as a record authored by God are left without divine direction. This course does not provide a basis to succeed on the path God has intended for believers. Inevitably, this viewpoint promotes spiritual blindness, discouragement and failure.

Biblically speaking, Christians possess “the mind of Christ” and “the commandment of the Lord” in His revealed Word (1 Cor. 2:16; 14:37). We are able to “know the things having been freely given to us by God” while utilizing the indwelling Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:12). We can read and understand the Scriptures (Eph. 3:4). And, we are capable of searching them in order to evaluate what we hear others teach (Acts 17:11). If we take advantage of the things our God has so graciously provided, we do not need to flounder in relativistic ideas but we can truly get excited about being successful in making progress on the eternal journey we have begun.

As we follow God’s path, Christians should not be threatened by the prevailing philosophies held by unbelievers. For, the Bible tells us those who do not know the Lord think our biblically based beliefs are “strange”, they look at us with pity for believing in Christ’s resurrection, and they view the message of the cross as “foolishness”. They will not understand why believers consider their lifestyle as that which “corrupts good morals”, and they may even consider us “mad” just like Festus labeled Paul when he heard what the gospel represents (Acts 26:24-25; 1 Cor. 1:18-25; 15:19, 32-34; 1 Pet. 4:4, 12).

It is important to remember the reason we are able to recognize God as our Father and receive His Word as truth is because we have the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:9). Those who do not possess the Spirit will not accept God as He is defined in the Bible nor want to “be subject to the law of God” (Rom. 8:6-8). In light of this reality, let us employ this spiritual difference to help thrust us forward toward our goal while being directed by absolute truth and not hindered by exposure to the wisdom of this world. Let us place our entire trust in the Spirit-published Word of God. Only then we will realize the truth God so desperately wants us to grasp regarding Christian practice – when it comes to accomplishing His will, Scripture has an app for that.

Finally, it is essential Christians recognize that teachings and writings produced by members of the Body of Christ should never be viewed on an equal plane with Scripture. What men teach can only benefit believers when it stimulates knowledge of the biblical text and encourages proper application of its instruction. With this in mind, we should promote all gifted members God has provided the Church who are positively seeking to encourage “the preparation of the saints for the work of ministry resulting in the building up of the body of Christ” (Eph. 4:7-12).

Chuck Schiedler
chuckschiedler@yahoo.com

August, 2013
Old Testament quotes are from the KJV.
New Testament quotes are original translations by the author from the Greek text.

WEB SITE
Grace And The Truth
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:19 pm

Part 6
By Chuck Schiedler

However, believers do not need to be stuck in this Devil-encouraged lifestyle, for the verse continues saying, “but be transformed by the renewal of the mind”. The verb translated “be transformed” () is also a middle voice imperative indicating we can get out of our sinful ways if we exercise responsibility to obey this command. The English word “metamorphosis” is derived from this Greek root. Just as a caterpillar is morphed into the form of a butterfly, our philosophical outlook and resultant lifestyle has the ability to be morally changed “by the renewal of the mind”. 

The term “renewal” is made up of the preposition “”, carrying the idea of repetition, and “s”, a noun meaning new. The word translated “mind” (s) speaks of our mental faculty, the center of our reasoning. The idea being expressed is our “mind” needs to constantly (present tense) be changed so we can be transformed from our sinful way of thinking toward a righteous mindset by which we will be able to control our bodies as spiritual sacrifices to serve the Lord (Rom. 6:12-23; Eph. 4:22-24). The word “mind” occurs in the genitive case meaning this “renewal” happens in association with “the mind”. Following the same vein of thinking we have seen in the analysis of other verses, Paul alludes to the Holy Spirit as the source enabling this renewal to take place (Rom. 7:6; 8:1-39). 

When believers take responsibility to study the Word of God, their mind can be supernaturally opened “resulting in the outcome for you to assess what the good and acceptable and perfect will of God is.” The word “will” (), as it is used in association with “God”, means His desire for members of the Church (Eph. 1:9-11; Col. 1:25-27). As Christians prayerfully consider the “will of God” while being “filled (controlled) by the Spirit” to give understanding, each one is able to attain “the outcome . . . to assess (indicated by the infinitive “”) the good and acceptable and perfect” nature of this revelation (Eph. 5:17-18; Col. 1:9). 

Furthermore, the present tense form of both action words “be transformed” and “to assess” indicates we are to constantly utilize His Spirit to progressively enable our minds to assess His will which provides a foundation for this transformation to take place. The basic meaning of the word “assess” more fully explains what Paul is trying to convey. Used in relation to “the mind” it signifies making a decision after testing something out (Eph. 5:10; Phil. 1:10 – note the surrounding contexts). Therefore, it could also be translated with the words approve or determine as authentic. This passage and verses cited in these last few paragraphs graphically teach the way to understand the “will of God” today is through renewal of our God-given minds by determining what His revealed Word means with the help of His provided Spirit. 

Many Christians today have abandoned this process of Bible study while thinking the will of God can be understood by human thought or emotion, apart from His Word. These methods do not work. Also, some think they can mystically understand God’s will by His Spirit outside of the framework of studying His Word or being taught by others. This misconception is based on some passages which explain how the Holy Spirit will work in conjunction with Israel in the future Kingdom program (John 14:26; 16:13; Acts 2:4). But, this is not how the Spirit works today. 

Another widely accepted philosophy is the concept that human beings naturally have an ability to make choices from Common Sense. However, when Christians grasp the foundational teaching about our sinful depravity found in the Scriptures, and then view ourselves in this manner, we should abandon our own thoughts in favor of depending on the revealed “will of God”. While taking this approach, we have the possibility of undergoing “renewal” of our already deceived minds by the Spirit’s power. Over time we will become more sensible as our brains are being directed by His thoughts (Rom. 12:3; 2 Tim. 1:7; Titus 2:1-6). 

First Peter 1:10-12 
This passage offers a glimpse of how God expects us to take His prophesies literally. Peter says, “Concerning which salvation the prophets diligently sought and searched while prophesying about the grace given to you; searching for what or what sort of time the Spirit of Christ was making evident among them while testifying beforehand about the sufferings in reference to Christ and the glories after these things” (1 Pet. 1:10-11). 

The prophets in the Old Testament who received revelations about the coming of Christ and the Kingdom glory which would follow were “searching for what or what sort of time” these things would take place. It is plain they were searching their own written prophesies while trying to figure out the time frame and nature of these occurrences. To achieve this, they were painstakingly combing over God’s revealed instructions. Ezra and the other priests took this same approach toward studying the Scriptures when they sought to re-establish an understanding of God’s teachings in the Law after they returned to the Promised Land following their captivity in Babylonian (Ezra 7:10; Neh. 8:1 – 9:3). Also, note it says they were searching what “the Spirit of Christ was making evident among them” (1 Pet. 1:11). They fully believed the words they were recording stemmed from the Holy Spirit guiding their hands. 

WEB SITE 
Grace And The Truth 
www.graceandthetruth.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:18 pm

Part Three
By Chuck Schiedler
Hebrews 4:12
This Scripture follows a context discussing how people can enter into God’s rest because of their association with salvation through Jesus Christ. It reads, “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than every two edged sword and piercing until the division of soul and spirit, and of both joints and marrow; and able to judge the emotions and thoughts of the heart.”

Three things in this verse personify “the word of God”. The participle translated “living” () is in the present tense indicating the Word constantly flourishes. The noun rendered “active” (s) is built on the same root word appearing in First Thessalonians 2:13, which means it is energetic or works in us. Also, the Word is described as being “sharper than every two edged sword”. These three designations together affirm the Holy Spirit is working in the background to make the Word of God alive within us so it can actively perform its metaphorical carving ability which consistently enables us to interpret our character and actions.

With its sharp spiritual capacity, “the word of God” can pierce “until the division of soul and spirit”. Soul and spirit are two of three entities which make up the essence of who we are as human beings. The other part is our “body” (1 Thess. 5:23). Our “soul” is the part of us which encompasses the totality of physical life. Animals also are said to possess this “life” when God made them on the fifth day of creation (Gen. 1:20-21). The “soul” includes our thoughts, expressions, emotions, and conscience, which are active only when our body is alive.The “spirit” is what sets men apart from animal life. It is the foundation of our human element which was distinctly created in the “image” of God (Gen. 1:26-27). This dimension makes up man’s moral consciousness and enables us to have a relationship with God. Character, motives and attitudes, shaped by moral choice, are central to this portion of our being. Since the corrupting consequences of Adam’s sin, mankind has been alienated from the Creator while occupying a spiritually dead state because of transgressions and sin (Rom. 5:12-14; Eph. 2:1-3; Col. 1:21). However, when a person is made alive in Christ, his or her spirit once again becomes responsive to the moral directives of the Father (Rom. 8:15; Eph. 2:5; 4:23).

After becoming a Christian, how can a person tell whether they are being controlled by the “soul”, our “natural man” which “does not receive the things of the Spirit of God” (1 Cor. 2:14), or by the “spirit”, which enables us to recognize God as our Father and to be renewed toward conformity with His character? This verse teaches us it is “the word of God” which pierces deep enough so we can perceive the divisions between these two parts of our being. The only way we can assess whether or not our thoughts arise from the spiritual realm is to examine them by biblical truth defining how we can walk in a manner pleasing to Him. If we do not use this barometer of His righteousness, we will naturally gravitate toward our current sinful state. We will walk in our “old man”, producing the “works of the flesh” from the soul (Gal. 5:16-19; Eph. 4:22).

The last phrase in Hebrews 4:12, says the “word . . . is able to judge the emotions and thoughts of the heart”. The adjective “able to judge” (s) transliterates into English as the word “critical”. It describes the evaluating ability the Word of God possesses. The word translated “emotions” () literally means inner deep feelings. It refers to intentions originating from the feelings of our natural man, as indicated by its other three uses in the New Testament (Matt. 9:4; 12:25; Acts 17:29). The word translated “thoughts” () is built from the preposition “”, meaning in, and the noun “s”, meaning the mind. These are thoughts developed in our mind which can be aligned with God’s will if they are guided by a Spirit-led approach to His Word. Peter uses this word when he tells believers to “implement the same mindset” as Christ did in order to stop sinning (1 Pet. 4:1).

Finally, the meaning of the word “heart” (s) is significant in order to grasp what this verse communicates. The heart is the center of being from which we express ourselves. It is no accident the common sayings ‘Heart of our being’ or ‘From the heart’ are used to define the place from which we act. We were given “the word of God” so that we can have the ability to judge what is coming out of our heart. Are the ideas controlling our heart “emotions” or “thoughts” surfacing from our sin-controlled flesh? Or, are they expressions reinforced by the revealed truth given by God? Because we still live in bodies deeply affected by sin, the only way we can be sure our “thoughts” or “emotions” are properly oriented with God’s ideals is to evaluate them by the divine critique found in His Word.

Because our sinful nature is so strong, it takes a great deal of effort to effectively apply the Word in order to “judge” our own actions. However, God has provided power through the Spirit to make this possible (1 Cor. 2:6-16; Eph. 5:17-18). With the Spirit’s help we can allow God’s thoughts to direct our mind in order to forge a humble confidence within us and to aid us in progressing toward the purpose for which we were created – conformity with His image (Eph. 4:24; Col. 3:10).

Applying the truth in this verse to its immediate context helps us understand part of the process needed to enter into a position of “rest” in regard to our salvation and to grow in this newly acquired spiritual state (Heb. 4:1-11; 5:11-14). In Conclusion, this passage teaches God gives us the ability through His divinely energized Word to assess whether our thoughts or actions are moral in His presence.

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET

SORRY PART 4 DID NOT COME INTO MY NOTIFICATIONS WHICH I'm ENCOURAGED TO SHARE.

Part Five
By Chuck Schiedler

Second Peter 1:3
The opening lines of this Book which follow the salutation are, “As all the things toward life and godliness are present for us in association with His divine power which has been given through the full knowledge of the one who called us to His own glory and virtue.” This verse answers the question: What do we need in order to live the Christian life? The solution is we have “all the things” at our disposal which pertain to living the Christian “life” and doing it in a godly manner.

This potential exists “for us in association with His divine power”. The word translated “power” (s) is commonly used regarding the power of God available to us through the Holy Spirit (Rom. 15:13; Eph. 3:16; Col. 1:9-11; 2 Tim. 1:7). The adjective “divine” (s – related to the Greek word for God 's”) confirms this as the correct thought here. Most English Translations make “His divine power” the subject of this sentence. However, this phrase is not in the nominative case (the indicator of a subject), but in the genitive case, the case of association. The thought is all the things (the subject) we have which can help us live a godly life are associated with this “divine power which has been given” to us. The Holy Spirit is the one who enables us to understand and enact godly principles in our life.

Now, this “divine power” is not given to be used in an abstract way, but “through the full knowledge of the one who called us”. The word translated “full knowledge” (s) is repeatedly used in the Epistles regarding truth God has revealed to be directly applied by the Body of Christ (Eph. 4:13; Phil. 1:9; Col. 1:9-10; 2:2; Titus 1:1). So, the people God “called” to salvation have access to this “full knowledge” by taking advantage of the Spirit-driven “power” within them. Using this spiritual muscle, Christians can implement the guiding principles discovered from God’s Word in their Christian “life”. When practiced, these truths produce “godliness”. We not only possess this potential by having access to His revealed Word and Spirit, but when these resources are employed they propel us toward the destination for which He “called us” – to participate in “His own glory and virtue” (2 Pet. 1:3).

The Greek word for “virtue” () means goodness or excellence. As this concept is related to God, it speaks of His excellent moral character. God’s “virtue” is expressed by His eternal sinless state, righteousness, holiness and benevolence. In the future, when we are glorified together with the Lord, Jesus Christ, we will be conformed to this splendid condition characterizing our Father (Rom. 8:29-30; Phil. 3:20-21; Col. 3:3-4; Titus 2:11-13). Before we experience this future hope, the passage at hand serves as just one of many which clarify how we can begin to realize this glorious alteration now. We accomplish this by putting off our old sinful nature and putting on the personality of God. And, it is possible because we are assisted by the Spirit to integrate God’s will into our lives (Eph. 4:22-24; 5:18).

After a relationship with God is begun by trusting in Christ’s death on the cross, transformation of character into His divine image is what Christianity is all about. God’s revelation does not focus on what job we will have, what house we will buy or live in, what person we should marry, what car we drive or what career we should pursue. On the contrary, it wholly involves how we should live our lives during every activity we decide to partake in and at whatever location we choose to reside.

Unfortunately, some believers discredit the transforming power of biblical truth while expressing ideas like the Bible is ‘Old Fashioned’ or ‘Not Applicable to our Circumstances’. Although technologies change, human knowledge increases and societies evolve in many ways, the nature of God remains constant. It is wise to remember the world is not advancing in sophistication or righteousness when compared with God’s standards. Humanity is in moral decline because of a progressive emphasis on sin-based philosophies and pursuits. Christianity transcends these things. It actually encompasses the ability to change sinners from our inherited corrupt condition into a people who represent the virtues of our Creator (Phil. 3:20-21; Titus 2:11-14). Therefore, stand strong and proud in favor of God’s philosophy found in His Word which was intended to enable us to acquire His “divine nature” (2 Pet.1:4).

Romans 12:1-2
The lifestyle portion of this Book begins with Paul writing, “Therefore I encourage you, brethren, through the mercies of God to present your bodies a living, holy, acceptable sacrifice to God which is your reasonable service.” Because of all the wonderful things He has done for us, beginning with making us righteous in Jesus Christ, Christians are now exhorted concerning God’s desire for us to serve Him by presenting our “bodies” as a figurative “living . . . sacrifice”.

How are we to accomplish this? Verse 2 tells us, “And do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewal of the mind, resulting in the outcome for you to assess what the good and acceptable and perfect will of God is.” The phrase “do not be conformed” includes a verb in the imperative mode meaning this is a command. It also occurs in the middle voice which signifies these Roman believers are to personally act upon themselves to “not be conformed to this age”. “This age” involves the sin-tarnished atmosphere of this world by which we are continually tested (2 Cor. 4:4; Eph. 2:2).

Now, what kind of effort would cause us to be conformed to this age? This can happen either by inaction or failing to implement God’s prescribed solution. For, after we are saved, unless we take steps to recognize our condition controlled by sin and progressively seek to change it, our worldly lifestyle will continue. It is natural for us to live by the degenerate state into which we were born that, apart from outside intervention, automatically orders every facet of our lives (Rom.5:12-14; Eph. 2:1-3).

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:03 pm

Part Three
By Chuck Schiedler

As the text continues, it further describes the gospel by saying, “which also is working in you who believe.” The verb translated “is working in” () literally means just that, and when it is transliterated into English we get the word “energize”. Since this word occurs in the present tense, it indicates the message constantly energizes in those who believe it, producing an ongoing spiritual effect in their lives. This influence is from God’s revelation being uniquely invigorated by the Holy Spirit unlike other spoken or written messages with which they had come into contact. Every Christian can individually attest to the impact this same message has had on them since their initial belief was and continuing response is prompted by the Holy Spirit behind the humanly observable scene (1 Thess. 1:4-5).

Second Peter 1:20-21
This passage reads, “Knowing this first that every prophecy of scripture does not come about from its own explanation; for no prophecy was once carried forth by the will of a man, but men spoke from God while being carried along by the Holy Spirit.” As in First Thessalonians 2:13, the neuter demonstrative pronoun translated “this” () refers to a concept found in the above context – how divinely given prophesies became “scripture”. Peter first gives an example of personally hearing the voice of God say, “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased”, which is also recorded in three of the Gospel Accounts (1 Pet. 1:17; Matt. 17:5; Mark 9:7; Luke 9:35). Then, he refers to all prophecies including his own record in this Letter when he says, “And we have a more confirmed prophetic word . . .” (1:19).

Peter uses the word “first” () to emphasize what follows is the fundamental point which explains how these prophesies originate (v. 20). Then he says, every single (singular in number) “prophesy of scripture does not come about from its own explanation”. The word translated “explanation” (s) is rendered “interpretation” in most English Translations. However, it is translated “motion” in both the 1557 Geneva New Testament and 1568 Bishop’s Bible. In addition, the most basic meaning attributed to this word by Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon, based on its usage in New Testament times, is release. The noun “s” occurs only here in the New Testament. However, the verb form is found in two other passages, which help define its meaning.**
Before summing up the combined meaning of the words and grammar in verse 20, the contribution of two more words is significant. First, the verb of being translated “does . . . come about” () means to come into existence. 

--------------
** In Mark 4:34, Jesus uses the verb to explain what His parables meant to His disciples. That is, He released the meaning when He explained His analogies to them. Then, in Acts 19:39, the same verb is used in reference to determining a settlement in a “lawful assembly”. This passage refers to some kind of a court hearing in which a verdict would be rendered based on the evidence. That is, they would release a decision which would be a legal explanation based on the testimony.

The second key word rendered “from its own” (s) is a possessive. Occurring in the feminine gender, it modifies the phrase “every prophecy” indicating no single prophecy came into existence on its own or by itself. The genitive case form of this possessive indicates no prophecy came about in association with “its own explanation”. Based on all of these individual elements, an expanded literal translation of this verse is: “knowing this fundamental point that no single prophesy of scripture comes into existence in association with its own explanation.” The translation “private motion” (ss) found in the above two cited early English Versions support this conclusion. Introducing the idea of human “interpretation” into this verse, which is not supported by the Greek grammar, tends to focus the reader on how men explain the meaning of these prophecies. However, a literal rendering focuses on how “every prophecy” surfaced with no natural “explanation” of how its release came about.

So how were these prophecies set into motion through the writers of Scripture? The next verse answers this question, “for no prophecy was once carried forth by the will of a man, but men spoke from God while being carried along by the Holy Spirit” (2 Pet. 1:21). The conjunction translated “for” () is commonly used to indicate information is coming which expands upon the thought being discussed. Then, to amplify on verse 20, the word translated “carried” used twice in verse 21 is central toward explaining how these prophesies came about.

The first occurrence rendered “was . . . carried forth” () is the aorist passive form of the verb “” which means to bear or carry involving the idea of motion. The thought expressed in the first phrase is “no prophecy was once” set into motion “by the will of a man”. In other words, no prophecy originated out of a person’s head, being initiated by his or her “will”. In contrast to this, we are told; “but men spoke from God while being carried along by the Holy Spirit” (v. 21). The participle translated “being carried along” () has the word “men” as its subject. But, since this word is in the passive voice it indicates these men were being set in motion by a force outside of themselves to deliver these prophecies. This initiating power is stated as “the Holy Spirit”. Because this word also occurs in present tense form, it specifies the Holy Spirit is the consistent force directing them during the reception of each prophecy “from God”.

When believers acknowledge biblical content is the accurate will of God, only then can it be trusted as a superior standard designed to guide our lives. If we allow thoughts initiated by the mind of men, including our own, to approach equal authority with His Word, we begin descending on the slippery slope of relying on humanly devised ideas to form our concepts of reality. Needless to say, this enters us into the realm of relativism – a place where absolute standards do not exist. In this philosophical position, spiritual confidence is not possible. This arena promotes the concept that one opinion or idea is just as valid as the next. Sadly, this kind of secular rational creates ‘the truths’ most people depend on to conduct their lives, including far too many Christians. From the biblical standpoint, thought arising from any human source cannot produce spiritual enlightenment, but merely endorses false teaching which is not “according to Christ” and is nurtured by the Devil’s deception (Eph. 4:14; Col. 2:8).

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 02 Nov 2014, 11:42 pm

Part TWO
By Chuck Schiedler

Scripture is not only used for pointing out sin, it is also “profitable 
. . . for correction” (). This word is derived from the noun “s”, 
meaning straight, combined with the prepositions “”, indicating 
repetition, and “”, used to add emphasis beyond the basic meaning of the 
word it is joined to. Just as an orthodontist straightens teeth to 
correct alignment problems, the Scripture can fully re-straighten 
immoral character in our lives back to the godlike quality of our 
created state. The last mentioned application of Scripture is “for 
training in righteousness”. The noun translated “training” () is related 
to the Greek word for “child” (s), so it speaks of discipline associated 
with raising a child. We are the children of God, so He wants us to 
submit ourselves to His will so we can be reoriented concerning how we 
are to please Him.

When we are initially saved, we find ourselves living entirely in the 
flesh while practicing sinful thoughts and desires. As we come to 
gradually know God’s will through the “God-breathed” Scriptures, a 
foundation is laid enabling us to progress on the journey He has 
prepared for us. This involves coming to know His teaching so our sinful 
actions can be exposed and changed into conformity to His character 
while we undergo His spiritual training. This transformation brings us 
to a moral plane where the potential to live in alignment with His will 
exists (Eph. 2:10).

The stated purpose for which verse 16 gives Christians this groundwork 
is “in order that the man of God might be equipped, having been fully 
equipped for every good work” (2 Tim. 3:17). The noun “equipped” (s) 
means completed or perfected. The English words “artisan” and “artist” 
are derived from this Greek root describing individuals who are equipped 
to accomplish their craft or artwork. In the same way, every “man of 
God” can be “equipped” to perform His will by using the “God-breathed” 
Scripture designed to benefit believers for this task. The word 
translated “man” (s) is a generic term referring to both men and women. 
And, the verb of being translated “might be” () is in the subjunctive 
mode indicating every single Christian has the potential to be 
“equipped” if they seek to apply Scripture to their lives according to 
its capabilities listed in the previous verse.

In the last phrase of verse 17, the participle “fully equipped” is found 
in the perfect, passive form. The perfect tense indicates a person can 
be equipped by the Scripture to attain a morally outfitted status which 
remains in effect. The passive voice tells us this equipping happens to 
us by an outside force – the Holy Spirit. And, this word is translated 
“fully equipped” because the preposition “”, meaning out, prefixed to 
the verb adds emphasis showing we have what it takes to out-artisan any 
force of ethical opposition. Believers can obtain this preparation by 
gaining Spirit-supported understanding while taking God’s Word at face 
value. Then we need to implement this same divine power to convert this 
knowledge into action in order to launch us on a course of perfecting 
“every good work” (2 Tim. 3:17).

First Thessalonians 2:13
Speaking to the believers at Thessalonica, Paul said, “And on account of 
this we also give thanks to God unceasingly, because as those who have 
received the message of God heard from us, you accepted it not as the 
word of men but according as it is truly the word of God, which also is 
working in you who believe.” This statement follows a context which 
records how well the believers in this town received the message 
proclaimed by Paul, Silvanus and Timothy (1 Thess. 1:6-10). Then, a full 
paragraph follows which details how Paul and his associates effectively 
conducted their ministry among the Thessalonians. They had success with 
giving a bold, God-fearing presentation of the gospel because it was 
accompanied by pure motives, visible sincerity, humility, a 
demonstration they were not seeking personal gain, and an affectionate 
treatment of these Christians like family (2:1-12).

The demonstrative pronoun translated “this” () occurring in the neuter 
gender refers to a concept in the former context (1 Thess. 2:13). The 
concept Paul thanks God for unceasingly is these Christians’ 
comprehensive reception of the message which was preached to them. Proof 
of this welcome is illustrated by how the gospel had become incorporated 
into their entire lifestyle (1:7-10). Then, Paul says they “accepted it 
not as the word of men, but according as it is truly the word of God.” 
The words translated “of men” and “of God” both occur in the genitive 
case, the case of association, indicating these people associated the 
message they heard as being directly from God. They did not think the 
gospel shared with them had its origin with these men.

In order for this attitude to materialize, there had to be a divine 
force working to arouse those who received the gospel. Other Scriptures 
give evidence this was God moving them by His Spirit (Acts 13:48; 2 Cor. 
3:1-3, 6; Titus 3:5). As a result, these believers did not receive this 
message as some psychological communication or humanly generated wisdom 
to be equated or compared with other philosophies originating from men. 
But, it was accepted as absolute truth originating from the Creator of 
the universe.

*GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET*
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 01 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm

Jesus Christ, Our Only Foundation

According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  (1Co_3:10-11)

Another wonderful blessing in Christ is the foundation that He provides for all who live by His grace. As with buildings, lives also need solid foundations. Our foundation is a person, Jesus. "For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ." By the grace of God enabling him, Paul ministered the gospel of Jesus Christ. "According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation." In doing this, he was laying the only reliable spiritual ground for living as God intended. So many people attempt to lay other foundations for their lives. Some turn to earthly riches. Others hope in human wisdom. Others put their confidence in personal power and influence. Such vain pursuits are like attempting to construct a building upon shifting, sinking sand. 

Our lives need a rock foundation. It has always been the Father's purpose to provide such for His people. David experienced this through his pilgrimage, as he trusted in the Lord. "From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I" (Psa_61:2). In the most extreme situations on earth, when circumstances were overwhelming him, David cried out to His God. He looked to the Lord to be to him a rock upon which he could stand above the rolling waves of impossibility. "He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved" (Psa_62:6). David stood on the Lord alone as his solid spiritual ground. Standing by faith he would not be destroyed. 

Of course, the ultimate expression of God being a rock to His people would be in the coming of the Son of God to earth as a man. This great plan the Lord promised through Isaiah. "Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation, a tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; whoever believes will not act hastily" (Isa_28:16). Jesus is that proven, priceless, and secure foundation. Now, all who stand on Him by faith will not be driven about frantically, searching for solid ground on which to plant their feet.

O Lord my rock, You are the only foundation that I will ever need for my life. I have tried to stand on so many things that proved to be sinking sand. Lord, I want to place all of my hope for spiritual stability in You. When circumstances threaten to inundate me, be to me my rock of refuge in the storm, Amen.

Grace be to you and peace. Though days be dark about us.
God’s working out His plan. All enemies regardless.

Our Purpose and Mission

We are dedicated to helping Christians to a fuller knowledge of Him, and the Grace of God. Until we all come into the Unity, Ephesians 4:13 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" 

2Co 5:16-21  Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more.  Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;  To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.   Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.  For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET

Part ONE
By Chuck Schiedler

‘The Bible is the Word of God.’ These words so easily roll off of our 
tongue. But, what does this expression really mean? Volumes have been 
written over many centuries attempting to explain how Christians should 
view Scripture based on the claims found within its pages. Practically 
speaking, however, the central matter is how each believer understands 
the nature of the biblical record and how this belief should influence 
his or her everyday life.

Because of this, I would like to take a fresh approach to this subject. 
Instead of submitting statements I think are true and using quotes from 
the Bible for support, I will first analyze passages relevant to the 
topic in order to present their findings. Then, I will offer practical 
applications suggested by these teachings. In addition, I will focus on 
significant ramifications connected with Christian conviction and 
practice. My goal is to stimulate the reader to examine their heart in 
regard to how each views biblical teaching. It is my hope this 
evaluation will encourage more study time in His Word so each person can 
be increasingly directed by the truth he or she individually sees written.

Throughout the years, certain passages have personally challenged me 
with regard to how I should be impacted by teachings from the Bible. 
Based on this experience, I have chosen to concentrate on seven contexts 
from the Letters of Paul and Peter as well as the Book of Hebrews. 
Though, there are many other passages which could have been considered 
in relation to this topic. Join me in considering various Scriptures 
which pertain to the idea we have direct access to God’s written will.

Second Timothy 3:16-17
The first passage of consideration is also one of the most quoted. It 
reads, “Every scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for 
reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness, in order that 
the man of God might be equipped, having been fully equipped for every 
good work.” Referencing God’s revelation, Paul begins by focusing on 
“every scripture”. This phrase is singular in number so it emphasizes 
every particular Scripture is “God-breathed”.

The word translated “God-breathed” (s) is an adjective describing the 
nature of the Scripture. It is a compound word built from the nouns “s”, 
meaning God, and “”, meaning Spirit. It is commonly and well translated 
by the phrase “given by inspiration of God” (KJV). It could also be 
translated given by the Spirit of God. Note how the English word 
‘inspire’ is partly built from the word “spirit”. The Greek word for 
“Spirit” refers to the movement of air such as breath. So the literal 
meaning of the word ‘inspire’ is to breathe in. What this verse intends 
to convey is God breathed His Word into the authors who wrote “every 
scripture” or men were caused to write “every scripture” as they were 
prompted by the Spirit of God.

Therefore, each Scripture has its source from God not any man. He simply 
used men as couriers to write down His will for mankind.

A second adjective describing the nature of “every scripture” is the 
word “profitable” (s) which means it is beneficial for numerous 
applications. The first application for which Scripture benefits 
believers is the understanding of God’s “teaching” (). In His Word, we 
learn His instructions regarding what is true and false; right and 
wrong. Also, every God-sourced Scripture is profitable for “reproof” (). 
At its root, this word means exposure. After evil is exposed by 
illumination from Scripture, this wrong can be reproved or rebuked (Eph. 
5:11;
1 Tim. 5:20; Titus 1:13).

*GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET*
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 30 Oct 2014, 10:04 pm

What is the opposite of faith?

Self.

Either we trust God for it or we work for it ourselves, whatever it is. It includes meeting our needs (vs wants) and also includes sanctification by works, which is when we don't let God change us but instead we 'work' by our activities to either continue in pride (denial of the shortcomings that everyone has in one form or another) or make ourselves perfect. God's plan is to do this sanctifying Himself, His way, His time.

Christ asked, "However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?...." He continues on to describe the difference between a person of 'self' and a person of 'faith&# 39;. Luke 18

Very intriguing.

-----

Examining Research Project...

Do the doctrines (teachings) and practices (activities, traditions of man) of your particular church or denomination -- are they found in God's Word? Or are they add-ons?

"Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness ----
and ---- examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." Acts 17 [The pastor of my youth asked us to check up on him, what he was teaching, all the time...does your pastor?]

Did you know?...

Biblically, there is but one doctrine: The Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, the one that matters eternally, according to Luke and Paul on repeated occasions. 

Can you identify?...

Which of the common denominations are represented by the letters to The Churches by Paul, such as Corinth, Ephesus, Galatia, etc.?

"The head may seek God, but it is the heart that finds Him." Jeremiah 29:13
Susannah' s Grace Life Coaching (Leadership; Mentoring; Counseling ) ~ Healing For The Wounded Heart

Strengthened by Grace

Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.  (2Ti_2:1)
Great strength is necessary for living as God intends. The grace of our Lord Jesus is where that strength is to be found. "Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus." Some of the specific reasons why we need strength are listed here in the immediate context of this verse.

Part of our calling as believers in Christ is passing on to others the biblical truths that God has taught us. "And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2Ti_2:2). Disciplining others in God's truth can be demanding and discouraging. Strength is needed. "Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."

Another aspect of our life as disciples of Jesus is functioning as spiritual soldiers. "You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ" (2Ti_2:3). We are the Lord's warriors in a worldwide, lifelong spiritual battle. The battle has been won by our Commander, Jesus. However, the enemy will not stop striking back until he is confined forever.  As Jesus' soldiers, we face many hardships. Again, strength is needed. "Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."

Another perspective on following Jesus is that of an athlete."And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules" (2Ti_2:5). As it is in athletics, the Christian life requires discipline, training, and the exertion of great measures of energy. Yet again, strength is needed. "Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."

One additional analogy of our life in Christ is that of a farmer. "The hard-working farmer must be first to partake of the crops" (2Ti_2:6). As with farmers, we are to sow the seed of the word upon people's hearts. We are to water the seed through prayer. We are to reap a harvest of righteousness. Farming is strenuous work. Once more, strength is needed. "Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."

How wonderful that God did not limit His grace to justification. We need it just as much for sanctification. We need His grace to strengthen us for the extraordinary spiritual roles that God has for us as disciplers, soldiers, athletes, and farmers. For all of this the only sufficient resource is to "be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."

O Lord of all might and power, I desire to be a faithful discipler, a sacrificial soldier, a disciplined runner, and a laboring farmer. Lord this sounds so right, so good. Yet,You know that I am intimidated by it all as well. I hear the call, and I want to respond; but my strength is so inadequate. So, I look to You and implore You to strengthen me by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, Amen.

Our Purpose and Mission

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 29 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

HEART OF THE MATTER 
By Miles Stanford

"That I may know Him" (Phil. 3:10). 

Immaturity is selfish; maturity is selfless. "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30). "The question for the tried and tempted, the harassed and oppressed, is this: 'Which would you rather have, the power of Christ's hand in deliverance from trial, or the sympathy of His heart in the midst of trial?' The carnal mind, the unsubdued heart, the restless spirit, will, no doubt, at once exclaim, 'Oh! let Him only put forth His power and deliver me from this insupportable trial, this intolerable burden, this crushing difficulty. I sigh for deliverance. I only want deliverance.'

"But the spiritual mind, the subdued heart, the lowly spirit, will say, and that without a single particle of reserve, 'Let me only enjoy the sweet company of the heart of the Lord Jesus Christ in my trial, and I ask no more. I do not want even the power of His hand to deprive me of one drop of consolation supplied by the tender love and profound sympathy of His heart. I know He can deliver me, but if He does not see fit to do so, if it does not fall in with His unsearchable counsels, and harmonize with His wise and faithful purpose concerning me so to do, I know it is only to lead me into a deeper and richer realization of His most precious sympathy.''' - C.H.M.

"The same faith that sees glory for us at the end of the path sees God for us all through the path. This is the secret of real strength. What unbelief does is to compare ourselves and our own strength with circumstances. What faith does is to compare God with circumstances." 

"For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ" (II Cor. 1:5). 

2Co 5:20  Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 

"We can either choose to grovel in our own self-pity 
or rejoice 
in whatever state we may find ourselves." 

VOTE ON NOV. 4, YOUR GOD GIVEN PRIVILEGE.

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Oct 2014, 9:18 pm

WHAT IN THE WORLD?
By Les Feldick Ministries

In Matthew 24:3, the disciples asked about signs of the end. Jesus' direct answer in verse four was, €œlet no man deceive you. In other words, one of the signs is deception or confusion. Now, Matthew 24 is totally tribulation ground, but the world has been warned for end time events. So, even though we are not seeing the super-natural events of the tribulation which are truly prophesied (i.e. the 2 witnesses of Revelation 11), common sense tells us the world cannot be made ready for the appearance of the Anti-christ and the False Prophet over night. So, we are naturally witnessing all the preparations. I have often likened it to getting ready before the curtain goes up. Therefore, when Jesus warned of deceivers, it follows that we can see that beginning to happen before the tribulation begins.

One of the many deceptions cascading on the Christian community like an avalanche, is the claim that the Body of Christ will go into or even through the tribulation.

The one cord that binds all these deceivers together is the rejection of Paul's Apostleship. For Paul alone reveals the doctrines, practices and the end of the Body on earth. For example, Paul alone reveals a salvation based on faith and faith alone in the finished work of the Cross; how Christ died for the sins of the whole world; how that His shed Blood and our faith in it brings justification; how the power of His resurrection is imparted to us when we believe; how that Jew and Gentile are saved the same way; etc. Paul alone gives instructions concerning Deacons (no one else uses the term) and alone gave instructions for the local church. So, also, Paul alone teaches us the end of the Body of Christ on earth. Consequently, Paul alone gives us the Scriptures concerning what many now ridicule - the rapture or the catching up of the Church which is His Body. The language of I Corinthians 15:51-54, I Thessalonians 4:13-18, II Thessalonians 2:1-3 cannot be found anywhere else in our Bible.

Every book that listeners send me advocating a later out-calling mixes these verses with all other verses that apply only to the Second Coming when Christ will stand on the Mount of Olives. If you mix Paul's doctrine concerning the rapture of the Church with the Second Coming, then you mix law and Grace. And, when you mix law and Grace, Satan smiles and God is grieved.

In II Timothy, Paul paints a vivid picture of America today. But, in Titus 2:13, he gives us the Blessed Hope of the believer - the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ. I have to believe we are getting close. I trust none of you will be "left behind."

Share this BIBLE STUDY with your friends

Our Purpose and Mission

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE - Page 17 Empty GraceNTheTruth@ COX.NET~OUR ASSURANCES UNDER GRACE

Post  Admin Sat 25 Oct 2014, 9:36 pm

The Unpardonable Sin 
Part 1 of 2
By Gregg Bing

"Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." (Matt. 12:31-32)

The "sin and blasphemy against the (Holy) Spirit" that Jesus speaks of here is what is commonly referred to as the "unpardonable sin." Many people worry about committing such a sin, even today during this present age of grace. Can a person commit such a sin today? In order to answer this question, we need to determine just what this sin against the Holy Spirit is, and we need to look carefully at the context in which Jesus made this statement to see whether or not this passage of Scripture is even applicable to us today.

The first word in verse 31 is "therefore," a word that forces us to look back at the previous verses, for they form the basis for Jesus' statement in verses 31-32. In verse 22, we find Jesus healing a man who was demon-possessed, blind and mute. As the multitudes watched this miracle, they were amazed and asked, "Could this be the Son of David?" Why would they ask this question? When we look back at Old Testament prophecies concerning the coming of Israel's Messiah, the One anointed by God to be their King, we find that when He comes to save Israel, He will perform wonderful miracles of healing.

"Say to those who are fearful-hearted, 'Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God; He will come and save you.' Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. Then the lame shall leap like a deer, And the tongue of the dumb sing ..." (Isa. 35:4-6)

When the multitudes saw Jesus heal the blind and the mute, they wondered if He could be the Son of David, their Messiah and King.

The Pharisees, who were the strictest sect of the Jew's religion, disputed this question posed by the multitudes and offered their own explanation for Jesus' miracles.

"This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons." (Matt. 12:24)

Jesus, knowing their thoughts, responded to this false statement. He reasoned with them saying, "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation." Therefore, it would make no sense for Satan to cast out his own demons, for "How then will his kingdom stand?" (Matt. 12:25-26). Jesus also pointed out,

"If I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out?" (Matt. 12:27).

Not only was Jesus able to cast out demons, He had also given authority to His twelve apostles to do so as well, therefore, He told the Pharisees, "They shall be your judges" (Matt. 12:27 cf. Luke 22:28-30).

Then, Jesus declared, 

"But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house." (Matt. 12:28-29)

The kingdoms of the world, even the world itself, are presently under the control and authority of Satan. At one point during Satan's temptations of Jesus, Satan took Him up on a high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world, saying, "All this authority I will give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish" (Luke 4:6). While Jesus rebuked Satan for demanding worship that is due to God and God alone, He did not dispute Satan's claim regarding his authority over the kingdoms of the world. Later, we find Jesus referring to Satan as "the prince of this world" on at least three different occasions (John 12:31, 14:30, 16:11).

One day, the Lord Jesus Christ will completely fulfill what is found in Matthew 12:29. He will enter the strong man's house, returning to the earth and entering this world which is currently ruled by Satan; He will bind the strong man, casting Satan into the bottomless pit and imprisoning him there for a thousand years (Rev. 20:1-3); and He will plunder the strong man's goods, for all "the kingdoms of this world" will become "the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!" (Rev. 11:15).

In casting out demons by the Spirit of God, Jesus clearly demonstrated His power and His authority to take the kingdoms of this world from Satan's control and establish His own rule over all the earth. The presence of their King, living and working in their midst, should have been proof to Israel that the kingdom of God had come upon them.

Jesus then dealt with the position of the Pharisees, who, even at that time, were already plotting against Jesus to destroy Him (Matt. 12:14).

"He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad." (Matt. 12:30).

The Pharisees had already rejected Jesus as their King and refused to confess that He was the Christ, the Son of God. Instead of working with Him to lead the children of Israel into the kingdom of heaven, their opposition to the Lord Jesus Christ caused others in Israel to be scattered abroad. Later, Jesus pronounced woe upon this very same group of self-righteous religious leaders.

"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in." (Matt. 23:13)

As we can see from the context, there is certainly nothing that would lead us to try and apply Matthew 12:31-32 in this present dispensation of grace. This passage centers on the question of Jesus' authority as Israel's King, a fact that was clearly demonstrated through His power to cast out demons by the Holy Spirit. The people who are being dealt with are Jews, in particular the Pharisees, the religious leaders of Israel. The key issue is their response to Jesus' ability to cast out demons. Instead of acknowledging this to be the power of the Holy Spirit, they attributed this miracle, instead, to Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons; that is to Satan himself.

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
WEB SITE 
www.graceandthetruth.com

The Unpardonable Sin
Part 2 of 2
By Gregg Bing

"Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." (Matt. 12:31-32)

What did Jesus mean when He spoke of "the blasphemy against the Spirit" in these verses? The word "blasphemy" means to speak words which cause harm or injury to someone, that which hurts, particularly, the reputation. Jesus' words of warning regarding this sin against the Holy Spirit were directed specifically to the Pharisees, Israel's religious leaders. By asserting that Jesus' authority or power to cast out demons came from Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons, rather than from the Holy Spirit, the Pharisees clearly spoke blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Mark 3:29-30). Their words, however, were more than just words; they were a reflection of these men's hearts. Jesus went on to tell them in verse 34:

"Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."

These were evil men whose words reflected the feelings and intents of their hearts. As a result, we see them taking their stand "against" Jesus (Matt. 12:30), even plotting "how they might destroy them" (Matt. 12:14).

While Jesus' warning was spoken to the Pharisees, the warning was not issued to them just as individuals, but as rulers of the nation of Israel. As we look more closely at this passage in Matthew 12, we find that this sin against the Holy Spirit, which Jesus said would "not be forgiven men," was not a sin that could be committed by individuals, but one that an entire nation, the nation of Israel, would commit in response to God's offer of their promised kingdom.

When some of the scribes and Pharisees proceeded to tell Jesus, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You," He answered them, saying,

"An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah." (Matt. 12:39)

Jesus was not referring to the Pharisees alone, but to the entire nation of Israel at that time, for the hearts of Israel's rulers were representative of the hearts of the people of Israel during that generation.

As Jesus would later stand before Pilate, the Roman procurator, into whose hands the Jewish rulers delivered Him, this evil and adulterous generation of Jews would cry out: "Away with Him! Away with Him! Crucify Him!" (John 19:15). Thus, the Lord of glory was crucified on the cruel cross of Calvary. Though it was God's determined will that Christ die on the cross for the sins of the whole world, the hands that delivered Him up were described by Peter as "wicked" or "lawless" hands (Acts 2:23).

Yet, as Jesus hung there on the cross, the first words that are recorded that He spoke were these,

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)

Though that generation of the nation of Israel, had blasphemed the Son of Man, Jesus prayed for mercy and forgiveness for this sin, and we find His prayer is answered during the Acts period.

The ascended Lord Jesus Christ poured out the Holy Spirit upon the nation of Israel on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2), just as the Old Testament prophets had foretold (Isa. 32:15, Ezek. 39:39, Joel 2:28-29, etc.). The twelve apostles, being filled and empowered by the Holy Spirit, were sent to proclaim to Israel the truth concerning Jesus of Nazareth—that He was their Lord and Christ, and that though He had been crucified, God had raised Him from the dead. The Holy Spirit confirmed the truth of the apostles' message with accompanying signs (Mark 16:20).

During one of Peter's early messages, he brought this indictment against the people of Israel:

"You denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses." (Acts 3:14-15)

Peter went on to say, "Yet now, brethren, I know that you did it in ignorance, as did also your rulers" (Acts 2:17). Here is the reason why that generation of Israel, including their rulers, was forgiven for their blasphemy against the Son of Man; it was just as Jesus had uttered from the cross: "They know not what they do."

During the Acts period, Israel was given another opportunity to repent and believe in Jesus as their Lord and Christ. The nation was instructed by Peter to:

"Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before." (Acts 3:19-20)

If that generation of Israelites, as a nation, which would include their rulers, had repented of crucifying the Lord Jesus Christ, God would have sent Jesus Christ back to earth to establish His kingdom and Israel would have ruled and reigned with Him, just as they had been promised in the Old Testament Scriptures.

How did the nation of Israel respond? The priests and Sadducees laid hands on Peter and John, "being greatly disturbed that they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead" (Acts 4:2). Though they could not deny the miracles that the apostles were working, they were determined to stop their preaching and so they commanded them, "not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus" (Acts 4:18).

The twelve apostles refused to heed this command and continued their ministry in Jerusalem as the Holy Spirit worked through them.

Later, the Jewish leaders, filled with indignation, laid hands on all twelve of the apostles, put them in the common prison, and asked them,

"Did we not strictly command you not to teach in this name? And look, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine and intend to bring this Man's blood on us!" (Acts 5:28)

Peter and the other apostles answered, 

"We ought to obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised up Jesus whom you murdered by hanging on a tree. Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him." (Acts 5:29-32)

When the Jewish leaders heard this response, "they were furious and plotted to kill them," but Gamaliel, a Jewish rabbi, was used of God to intervene on their behalf. So, the Jewish rulers had the apostles beaten, commanded them not to speak anymore in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

Shortly after this, we find the Jewish leaders seized Stephen, a man "full of faith and the Holy Spirit" (Acts 6:5) who "did great wonders and signs among the people" (Acts 6:8). Being unable "to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke," they brought him before the Sanhedrin (council of seventy Jewish rulers) and set up false witnesses against him who accused him of blasphemy. As Stephen gave his defense before these leaders of the nation, he concluded with these words:

"You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you. Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers, who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it." (Acts 7:51-53)

On hearing these words, the Jewish rulers "were cut to the heart and gnashed at him with their teeth" (Acts 7:54). They "cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and ran at him with one accord; and they cast him out of the city and stoned him" (Acts 7:57-58). Following Stephen's stoning, "a great persecution arose against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles" (Acts 8:2).

Thus, the nation of Israel, led by their rulers, sinned against and blasphemed the Holy Spirit as He ministered through the twelve apostles, resisting His call to them to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. They had blasphemed the Son of Man, and yet were forgiven of this sin and given another opportunity to repent. But, when this generation of the nation of Israel blasphemed the Holy Spirit, they were not forgiven, and the offer of their kingdom was withdrawn.

This is the very situation dealt with in the book of Hebrews, chapter 6:

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame." (Heb. 6:4-6)

With the pouring out of the Holy Spirit upon them, Israel had been enlightened. They had "tasted the heavenly gift," having heard the "good word of God," the gospel of the kingdom, and having experienced the "powers of the age to come" (i.e. miracles that will be experienced during the kingdom, cf. Isa. 35). But, the nation "fell away" and rejected the truth of the Word and "crucified again for themselves the Son of God." They "trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which they were sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace" (Heb. 10:29). Having done this, it became "impossible" to renew them again to repentance. This did not mean that individual Jews could not still repent and be saved from their sins, only that the people of that generation would no longer have the opportunity to enter into the kingdom rest that had been promised to the nation of Israel.

This situation was foreshadowed back in the Old Testament at Kadesh Barnea (Num. 13-14). The children of Israel reached the border of the land God had promised to give them. Moses was led of God to send twelve spies into the land to see what it was like. All of the men said that the land was truly a land that "flows with milk and honey," but ten of the spies reported that the people of the land were strong and their cities fortified and very large, and they concluded, "We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we." Two of the spies, Joshua and Caleb, disagreed, saying, "Let us go up at once, ... for we are well able to overcome ... the Lord is with us." When the people of Israel rejected the testimony of Joshua and Caleb, that God was able to give them the land, and listened, instead, to the other ten spies who said, "we are not able," then God pronounced judgment upon the people. They would not be allowed to enter the land He had promised them, but would, instead, wander in the wilderness until that unbelieving generation died off. When the people heard this judgment from God, they tried, on their own, to enter the land, but they were driven back. They could not enter in for the Lord was not with them. The promise of rest in the land had been withdrawn from that generation.

This is what Jesus was referring to in Matthew 12:32 when He warned Israel that, "whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." That generation of the nation of Israel, having rejected the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and then the ministry of the Holy Spirit, were never forgiven as a nation and could not enter into their kingdom. It will be a new generation, a still future generation of that nation, that will one day "look upon Him whom they pierced" and "mourn for Him." They will receive Him as their Lord and Christ and finally receive their kingdom promises.

So we see that Matthew 12:31-32 is not speaking of an "unpardonable sin" that individuals can commit today. The Lord Jesus Christ died on the cross and paid the penalty for all our sins. When we trust in Him as Savior, we are "made alive together with Him" and forgiven of "all trespasses" (Col. 2:13).

GraceNTheTruth@COX.NET
WEB SITE 
www.graceandthetruth.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17