World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyToday at 2:37 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 10:08 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Thu 13 Oct 2022, 8:11 pm

The words slipped out of my mouth, and I was instantly sorry, but I couldn't stuff them back in. Like the proverbial feathers, they had been scattered to the four winds, and couldn't be retrieved.

Scanning back over a lifetime, I — we all — have memories of actions or words that we'd rather forget. I am still chagrinned as I remember impetuous things that I've said or done, sometimes years and years ago. Thankfully, however, it is possible to leave hidden shame and sorrow with Jesus. We no longer need to feel guilt or fear judgment if we have genuinely confessed our sin fully to our just and righteous Judge.

Even healed wounds leave scars as reminders of the pain once suffered, but if scabs are picked or scratched before the healing is complete, healing can be delayed or completely thwarted. So it is with sinful actions that we regret. Don't fall into the trap of reviewing the past, endlessly thinking, "What if … ?" or "If only …". That's simply scab-picking, and it's totally unproductive, since what has already been done can't be undone. It is essential to fully confess and repent of the sin, and then leave it with Jesus to heal. Though a scar may remain as a wry reminder of our sin, we can be assured that it is forgiven. Don't keep going back and reviewing what should have been done differently. Once we take our sin to Jesus, confessing our guilt, we must accept His full forgiveness and then refuse to dig up — or repeat — that sin again.

Has regret for hasty words or embarrassment over shameful actions hindered you in your walk with Jesus? Consider what these comforting words from Scripture can mean to a guilt-ridden soul:

"The Lord is compassionate and merciful, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever. He does not punish us for all our sins; he does not deal harshly with us, as we deserve. For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust." (Psalm 103:8-14 NLT)

How liberating it is to know that confessed sin is forgiven once and for all. Shameful actions of the past are not a burden to be carried for a lifetime. Will you take your burden of sin to Jesus to carry for you? Jesus died for the sins of the world. Your sins are not too much for Him to forgive.

Prayer: Dear loving and forgiving Father, thank You that You forgive our sins completely when we confess them to You. May we willingly confess our sins and then, just as willingly, accept Your full forgiveness. Amen.

Copyright © 2021, by Gail Lundquist , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca .
Beaverton, Oregon, USA

Announcements
Questions about parenting? Wondering whether you've made the right decision with your kids? Thinking about discipline? Why not check out "Bringing up Kids God's Way"! 

Subscribe Other Devotionals Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 11 Oct 2022, 2:05 pm

At the beginning of the month, in "Unveiling the Song of Solomon, Part 6", we saw that sometimes we fall into a spiritual slumber. Though we should always be alert, Jesus still comes to us in our slumber! What is our response? Do we put aside the things that are putting us into that spiritual “sleep”? Or have we become complacent?

We saw that the woman in the story, the woman who represents each of us, has become complacent. She doesn’t wish to get out of bed, and when she eventually does go to open the door, her lover is gone (See Song of Solomon 5:4-6).

No matter how ardent followers of Christ we are, there will be times when we, like this woman, will fall into a spiritual slumber; times when we, like this woman, will not want to get up to let Jesus in. Nevertheless, the woman’s response should be an example to us all: “I searched for him…” (Song of Solomon 5:6b NLT)

Yes, the problem was caused by us. Yes, we were the complacent ones. Nonetheless, when we find ourselves in this situation, there is only one course of action: We must humbly seek the Lord!

Unfortunately, her search was in vain: “…but could not find him anywhere. I called to him, but there was no reply.” (Song of Solomon 5:6c NLT)

And that may very well be the result of our search as well. This must have been so disheartening for her! We all know what it is like to seek the Lord and come up dry! It leaves us wondering if He cares, if He’s really there at all!

Then the unthinkable happened: “The night watchmen found me as they made their rounds. They beat and bruised me and stripped off my veil, those watchmen on the walls.” (Song of Solomon 5:7 NLT)

You see, Jesus isn’t the only one acutely aware of our spiritual slumber. Our adversary, the devil, the one who prowls around like a roaring lion seeking who he can devour (See 1 Peter 5:8). And just like the watchmen on the wall beat and bruised the woman in the story, when the devil finds us unaccompanied by our Lord and Saviour, he also has no pity. He wants nothing more than to pull us away from God! This will happen, friends! It is the natural result of letting come between us and our Lord!

What will our response be?

I have communicated with many in this situation. Hey, I’ve been there many times as well! And the #1 human response is this: “I’m seeking God, I’m doing my part, and this is what happens to me! I’m better off not seeking Him at all!”

The woman in the story, however, remembered something that we would all do well to remember: The reason we are seeking God is because we didn’t respond to Him when He came to us! Our response needs to be as hers was: “Make this promise, O women of Jerusalem—If you find my lover, tell him I am weak with love.” (Song of Solomon 5:8 NLT).

Notice that she doesn’t give up her search. Notice that she doesn’t turn against him. Notice that she doesn’t even get angry at him! Rather, she turns to those looking on and says, in essence, “hey, when you see my lover, just tell him I’m soooo in love with him!”  

What a powerful example of how we should relate to the Love of our souls: It isn’t our place to be angry with Him! We caused the problem in the first place! Instead, we need to turn to those around us (and may we all be encircled with other Christians who can hold us up in such times!), “Please tell Jesus how much I love Him!”

But that isn’t all. As you read on through the rest of chapter 5, you notice that the woman begins to praise her missing lover. She tells everyone about how wonderful He is -- even though He is missing! – “My lover is dark and dazzling,better than ten thousand others!...His arms are like rounded bars of gold, set with beryl. His body is like bright ivory, glowing with lapis lazuli….His mouth is sweetness itself; he is desirable in every way. Such, O women of Jerusalem, is my lover, my friend.” (Song of Solomon 5:10, 14, 16 NLT).

The story then continues into chapter 6, when the woman is asked where her lover has gone. Remember now, she was searching for him! But after spending several verses lavishing him with praise, she realizes where he is: “My lover has gone down to his garden, to his spice beds, to browse in the gardens and gather the lilies. I am my lover’s, and my lover is mine. He browses among the lilies.” (Song of Solomon 6:2-3 NLT).

Does God appear to be “missing”? Does He not seem to be responding to your call? Why not follow the example of this woman in the Song of Solomon and spend some time praising Him and sharing Him with others? You will be amazed at how your focus realigns itself!

In His love,
Lyn
Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Moderator, Associate Director, Answers2Prayer Ministries 

Announcements
Join us on Thursday, October 20, for "Unveiling the Song of Solomon, Part 8
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 09 Oct 2022, 9:25 pm

What circumstances are pinning you in? Surrounding you, suffocating you, with no hope in sight?

Whatever it is, Jehoshaphat would have been able to relate...

Without the internet and international news, kings in Jehoshaphat's day didn't always know when war was brewing. They might think they are living in peaceful times, and then, out of nowhere, they would find themselves surrounded on all sides.

And this is what happened to Jehoshaphat: "Messengers came and told Jehoshaphat, 'A vast army from Edomis marching against you from beyond the Dead Sea.They are already at Hazazon-tamar.' (This was another name for En-gedi.)" (2 Chron. 20:2 NLT). As it turned out, this "vast army from Edom" was actually not one army, but a coalition of three different one: "Moabites, Ammonites, and some of the Meunites declared war on Jehoshaphat." (2 Chron. 20:1 NLT)!

I believe the next verse is a record of an incredible understatement: "Jehoshaphat was terrified by this news..." (2 Chron. 20:3a NLT). Terrified is likely just the tip of the ice berg. Without having had much advance warning, Jehoshaphat found himself in a situation where he was not prepared. He hadn't had time to get out the army and do war games. The enemy was literally at his doorstep without any advance warning. And his response is a perfect example of what we must do in similar situations: "Jehoshaphat ... begged the Lord for guidance." (2 Chron. 20:3b NLT).

Sounds like good advice to me! It's what I would suggest to people in fearful situations as well! But Jehoshaphat went one step farther as well: "He also ordered everyone in Judah to begin fasting." (2 Chron. 20:3c NLT). And the people responded. They gladly rallied with their king: "So people from all the towns of Judah came to Jerusalem to seek the Lord’s help." (2 Chron. 20:4 NLT).

And these aren't the only things Jehoshaphat did. He followed the advice given by the Lord to Solomon. "Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land." (2 Chron. 7:14 NLT). Judah was called by God's name. They, along with their king, did humble themselves and pray and seek God's face. And we know from history that Jehoshaphat did lead the people from their wicked ways. I think that Jehoshaphat's prayer can be used as a model for prayer when we find ourselves in such situations, and I encourage you to read it in full. I will just outline a few highlights of his prayer that give us a framework to follow:

1. Corporate prayer: "Jehoshaphat stood before the community of Judah and Jerusalem in front of the new courtyard at the Temple of the Lord." (Vs. 5 NLT). Whatever it is you find yourself in, don't try to go it alone! There are prayer warriors standing by to walk with you through whatever it is! Share your struggles with your family, with your church family, with your friends! And if you would like for the Answers2Prayer international team of prayer warriors to join you as well, all you need to do is respond to this email with your needs!

But you may not see the need for corporate prayer. After all, why wouldn't God respond just as readily to your private prayers?

Yes, He does. and there's power in our individual prayers. But sometimes others, who perhaps aren't quite as emotional about the situation, can be better used by God to speak Truth into your situation! and this is what happened in Jehoshaphat's case: "As all the men of Judah stood before the Lord with their little ones, wives, and children, the Spirit of the Lord came upon one of the men standing there. His name was Jahaziel..." (Vs. 13-14a NLT) ... More on this later...

2. Remember what God has done in the past and praise Him for it: Jehoshaphat opened his prayer with praise and worship, reminding God of His great love and mercies of the past: "O Lord, God of our ancestors, you alone are the God who is in heaven...You are powerful and mighty; no one can stand against you! O our God, did you not drive out those who lived in this land when your people Israel arrived?...Your people settled here and built this Temple to honor your name...." (vs. 5-9 NLT). There is power in testimony, in speaking forth what God has done for us in the past, in giving praise and honor and glory to His name. This lifts us outside of the fear, and puts a different perspective on our current circumstances.

3. Present the problem: “And now see what the armies of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir are doing...."  (vs. 10 NLT). Of course, God already knows the problem, but in articulating it to Him, we are, in essence, declaring our faith that the problem isn't too big for Him!

4. Humility: Next we see perhaps the most important part of the prayer. "O our God, won’t you stop them? We are powerless against this mighty army that is about to attack us. We do not know what to do, but we are looking to you for help.” (Vs. 12 NLT). Here we see Jehoshaphat humbling himself enough to admit he needs help. And this is the place we must come to as well!

As we saw under the first point, God answered their prayers by sending a message through one of the people in the prayer group: "Listen, all you people of Judah and Jerusalem! Listen, King Jehoshaphat! This is what the Lord says: Do not be afraid! Don’t be discouraged by this mighty army, for the battle is not yours, but God’s....But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the Lord’s victory. He is with you..." (vs. 15, 17 NLT)

This Jahaziel is not just speaking God's truth into Jehoshaphat's situation, but into yours as well! Once you've sought God, once you've remembered His goodness in the past, once you've humbled yourself, you are ready to hear Truth: This isn't your battle! It's God's! When we humble ourselves and come to God in prayer, when we remember His blessings in the past, we, too, will not have to fight, for the battle is the Lord's!

There is, perhaps, one more part to this story that warrants mention. When the army marched out to battle, they did so singing praises to the Lord: "the king appointed singers to walk ahead of the army, singing to the Lord and praising him for his holy splendor. This is what they sang: 'Give thanks to the Lord; his faithful love endures forever!'” (Vs. 21 NLT).

The result? "At the very moment they began to sing and give praise, the Lord caused the armies of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir to start fighting among themselves...." (vs. 22 NLT)!

As I was writing this devotional, I received a text message from someone who suffers from severe anxiety. This person had just received what was considered to be terrifying news, and this person's anxiety had spiked. I was impressed to ask this person to prayerfully read 1 Chron. 20. The person texted me back later saying they had put on praise and worship music. The following day this person texted me again. This person had just faced their greatest fear, and had come through victorious. In their words: "I was very much spiritually and mentally at peace... but my body was in fight or flight mode, but I felt level-headed enough to answer their questions." And again, they said, "I felt very impressed to feel calm and peace after you shared with me yesterday."

It all ended well for this person. And that is how it will end for you as well. If you follow Jehoshaphat's example, if you humble yourself, if you call for corporate prayer, if you meditate on what God has done for you in the past, God WILL come through! For hasn't He promised, "Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land." (2 Chron. 7:14 NLT)?

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 06 Oct 2022, 8:00 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 Autumn10

"The commandments ... are summed up in this one command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." (Romans 13:9-19 NIV)

We are having an unusual Autumn this year here in the mountains of my home. First the Summer weather seemed to hang on forever. Its hot days stretched through September and into October. Then when the Fall like weather did arrive it really kicked the leaves into high gear. Usually here the Maples change first blessing us with their bright, beautiful reds and lovely, peaceful yellows. Then as their leaves fall to the ground the Oaks begin to change giving us their deep burgundies and earthy browns, making the hills around us rich and rusty.

This year it seems all the leaves are turning at once, however. The Maple and Oak trees are reaching the peak of their colors at the same time. It is such a glorious sight. Driving along the mountain roads today I was in awe of the intense beauty. The sun was playing peek-a-boo in the clouds, popping out to shower sunshine on the leaves in different moments and adding to the wonder of it all. Part of me wondered if this is what Heaven looked like all the time and felt like singing. In the back of my mind, though, was the knowledge that in a few more weeks all the leaves would be down and the hills would be full of stark, skinny skeletons covered in gray bark.

This year it seems all the leaves are turning at once, however. The Maple and Oak trees are reaching the peak of their colors at the same time. It is such a glorious sight. Driving along the mountain roads today I was in awe of the intense beauty. The sun was playing peek-a-boo in the clouds, popping out to shower sunshine on the leaves in different moments and adding to the wonder of it all. Part of me wondered if this is what Heaven looked like all the time and felt like singing. In the back of my mind, though, was the knowledge that in a few more weeks all the leaves would be down and the hills would be full of stark, skinny skeletons covered in gray bark.

Thinking of this made me take a look at my own life. I was now entering my own Autumn years. I have lived here for 55 years and if God wills it I may get another 25 to 30 at the most. How was I going to live them? Was I going to spend the last part of my life at my peak, sharing my love, light, and true colors with the world? Or was I going to simply shed my leaves and spend the remainder of my days here as a stark, skinny skeleton?

Then I heard the warm voice of God in my heart say: “Choose!” And in that moment I did. I thanked God for a beautiful day, a beautiful world, and a beautiful life. And I promised to add my own love to it for all the days I had left. May you do the same.

Joseph J. Mazzelle

Announcements
Do you ever wonder about the tabernacle that Moses built in the wilderness?  The books of Exodus and Leviticus spend many chapters describing its construction, but does it hold any relevance for us today?  Please check out: Wilderness Instructions, a mini-series inspired by the tabernacle in the wilderness! 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 03 Oct 2022, 9:53 pm

As we continue to make our way through this romance poem known as the Song of Solomon, we come to an interesting passage, one that speaks volumes to us today.

The scene, focussing here on the woman, starts off like this: "I slept, but my heart was awake, when I heard my lover knocking and calling: ‘Open to me, my treasure, my darling, my dove, my perfect one. My head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night.’” (Song of Solomon 5:2 NLT)

The first Truth to be gleaned here is this: The church can be, and often is, asleep! We can be, and often are, asleep!

Isn’t this one of the key points of Jesus’ parable of the Bridesmaids: “When the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.” (Matthew 25:5 NLT)?

It would be better for us all to heed the advice of Jesus, given just prior to His parable about the Bridesmaids: “So you, too, must keep watch! For you don’t know what day your Lord is coming.” (Matthew 24:42 NLT)! We shouldn’t be asleep at all! We need to be alert! To ever be on the lookout for our Lord!

Nonetheless, we do fall into spiritual slumber, and we aren’t really reprimanded for this. In fact, this brings us the second important point from this verse: Even if we do fall into a spiritual slumber, Jesus still comes -- to us! The book of Revelation tells us this as well: “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.” (Revelation 3:20 NLT). That, my friends, is how much the Lover of our Souls wants to be with us! He will come to us, in our spiritual slumber!

How will we respond?

The woman in the Song of Solomon, the woman that represents each follower of Jesus Christ, answered like this: “But I responded, ‘I have taken off my robe. Should I get dressed again? I have washed my feet. Should I get them soiled?’” (Song of Solomon 5:3 NLT)

Not only has the woman fallen asleep, but she has become complacent! She doesn’t wish to get dressed again. She doesn’t wish to bathe again.

I don’t know about you, but I can relate to this. Once I’ve finally crawled between the sheets for the night, the very last thing I want is to have to get up again! I can so totally relate! So can the 5 foolish bridesmaids in Jesus’ parable. They hadn’t brought enough oil, and when the bridegroom finally arrived, they didn’t feel like going out to buy some: “Then the five foolish ones asked the others, ‘Please give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’” (Matthew 25:8 NLT)!

But herein lies the problem, doesn’t it? When those bridesmaids returned, they found the door shut: “Later, when the other five bridesmaids returned, they stood outside, calling, ‘Lord! Lord! Open the door for us!’“But he called back, ‘Believe me, I don’t know you!’” (Matthew 25:11-12 NLT). And unfortunately our woman in the Song of Solomon, who represents each of us, fared no better: “My lover tried to unlatch the door, and my heart thrilled within me.I jumped up to open the door for my love, and my hands dripped with perfume. My fingers dripped with lovely myrrh as I pulled back the bolt. I opened to my lover, but he was gone!” (Song of Solomon 5:4-6 NLT)

We shouldn’t fall into a spiritual slumber, friends. Rather, we should remain alert at all times, for we do not always know when Jesus will come to us. But if we do fall into a spiritual slumber, Jesus will come to us. It is how we respond that becomes vitally important. Will we jump up immediately, putting aside everything that might possibly distract us, and give ourselves completely to Him? Or will we, like the woman in the poem and like the foolish bridesmaids in Jesus’ parable, respond with complacency?

Think about it for a moment: What is it that keeps us from jumping up the moment the Lover of our souls knocks on our hearts’ doors? Are we too busy watching a movie? Are we anticipating that shopping trip with friends? That upcoming football game? Are we cooking dinner? Are the kids calling for our attention? Are we writing emails? Perhaps even doing something for the Lord, something like -- trying to encourage someone? Whatever it is, no matter how innocent, if it keeps us from responding immediately to our Lord’s call, then we have let something come between us and the Lord. We have become complacent!

I don’t know about you, but this is a wake-up call for me. I don’t know how many times I’ve woken up in the middle of the night with the urge to pray, and I’ve rolled back over and gone back to sleep. I can’t count the times I’ve felt the urge to do something for someone, but I’ve been busy with my own agenda, and it hasn’t happened. I am ashamed to admit how often I’ve heard my Lord knocking and I’ve been too busy, too “in the moment”, and I’ve seen it as nothing less than the proverbial “monkey wrench” thrown into my agenda.

Oh Lord, forgive us of our apathy! Forgive our complacency! Help us to make You our number 1 priority, no matter what we may be doing, no matter what else may be on our agendas! You and You alone must be our number 1!

Join us on Tuesday, October 11, for another important lesson to be learned from this unfortunate incident in the Song of Solomon…

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
We've all been there... We seek God but it seems like He can't be found... What does the Song of Solomon have to tell us about a "missing" God? Join us on Saturday, October 1, for "When God Is Missing: Unveiling the Song of Solomon, Part 7"!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 30 Sep 2022, 3:32 pm

Each morning seems to come with a new, tasty selection of temptations! When we were children, my siblings and I were usually tempted by what our parents told us that we couldn't have, or especially by the things that we wouldn't share with each other. On television, we loved watching American comedian Flip Wilson, who once remarked that the devil never sleeps at night; he is making notes and delivers up his schedule the next morning! Of course, as I grew, the temptations adapted, whether I strolled through the shops or browsed online. Can you imagine being surrounded by temptation and living a whole life — never once giving in to it? Only one person did it perfectly: the Lord Jesus.

The writer of Hebrews shows us how Jesus became one of us, so that He might experience temptation, and conquer it.

"For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted." (Hebrews 2:18 NASB)

"For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things just as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15 NASB)

As a human being, Jesus shared our flesh and blood and experienced temptation. Every day of His earthly life, He lived in a world with temptation everywhere, just as we do, but He never sinned. He had weaknesses in the flesh: He grew tired and hungry, became fed up with people, cried with people in grief, and celebrated the good times. He lived a real, human life, even so far as struggling in prayer, as we do, to fend off temptation. Only by being human could Jesus be our sinless High Priest Who could understand and intercede for us with God the Father.

Jesus is our example in defeating temptation. His focus was always on God and His kingdom. He memorized Scripture and used it to chase off the enemy. He prayed often and alone, even if it meant getting up early in the morning. He took full advantage of His Father's strength to overcome every temptation. Because He knew suffering and was acquainted with the pull of temptation, but was without sin, only He could be the sympathetic, perfect High Priest that we need to atone for our sin.

Let us look to Jesus as the source of our strength and power over every temptation, the One Who loves us and intercedes for us each day.

Prayer: Thank You, dear Lord, for Your plan of salvation, and for the role that You fulfil, not only as an example of how to live, but also as our Mediator, Redeemer, and High Priest before God the Father. You know what it is like to face temptation and weakness. Give us the strength to overcome. Amen.

Copyright © 2021, by Shirley Moulton , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca .
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Announcements
Are the Nugget devotionals a blessing to you? Check out the Scriptural Nuggets website!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 27 Sep 2022, 8:07 pm

"I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. ... So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:1, 7-10 ESV)

Paul begins today's reading with a very roundabout story in which he seems to be talking about some wonderful visions God gave him. It's not entirely clear, because Paul's being deliberately unclear about whether they happened to him or to someone else. But then he gets to the meat of his story: "To keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me." In other words, God deliberately stepped back and allowed the devil to afflict Paul with something—an illness? a temptation? We don't know, but it was something  that would prick Paul's ego any time he started getting proud and conceited. It's hard to think you walk on water when you have a painful or embarrassing problem!

Of course, everyone wants to know what it was. But it's equally plain Paul doesn't want us to know—because then we'd spend all our time speculating about the problem, instead of getting his point. Which is that Paul prayed earnestly for God to take the thorn away, and God said no. God said no, even to an apostle, because "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness."

How frustrating! I can imagine Paul suggesting, "Lord, wouldn't You maybe this one time like to make Your power known by fixing this problem?" But no, God's got other plans. Moses stuttered; Samson wasn't too bright; Noah seems to have had a drinking problem; David had a sinful past he regretted but couldn't prevent from harming his family well into the future. We, too, have our thorns—illness or disability; a past action with consequences we can't shake; a temptation that comes to trip us, again and again and again.

But to us, too, God says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." When God acts through us, it is obvious to everybody that the power isn't ours. The mercy, the holiness, the endurance, the forgiveness—whatever good thing they are seeing shine through us is clearly not us, but God. And through this the Holy Spirit will draw them to Jesus their Savior.

God understands and uses our weakness—how should He not? It was through His own self-chosen weakness on the cross that all our sins were taken away, and we were made whole. It was through His own death—the greatest weakness there is—that He gave us life. And He will use our weaknesses, too, to bring others to faith in the Jesus who died and rose again, so that we may all celebrate together with Him in His kingdom forever.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me with my weakness. Use it for Your glory. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Kari Vo.
Reprinted with permission from the Lutheran Hour Ministry.

Reflection Questions:
1. When you were growing up, were you allowed to be weak? Why or why not?
2. If you're willing to share, what is one of your thorns in the flesh?
3. How has God used it to His glory and to be a blessing to someone around you?

Announcements
LESSONS FROM HANDICAPS!!!  Are there lessons you can learn from handicaps? Click here and see!
https://scripturalnuggets.org/category/mini-series/lessons-from-handicaps-a-mini-series/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 24 Sep 2022, 7:34 pm

"For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:13 NLT)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." (Prov. 3:5-6 NLT)

"Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act." (Psalm 37:7a NLT)

All familiar, powerful verses. All pointed at one direction and one alone: We must surrender to the Lord. We must lean upon Him for our strength, knowledge, wisdom; we must trust Him instead of ourselves; we must seek His will over our own; and we must wait patiently in His presence.

Why is it, then, that surrender is so difficult?

I have been working for a lot of years on surrendering completely to God, and it is something I often write about. You'd think I would have this down pat by now, yet over the past few weeks, I find myself making a number of really bad mistakes in this ministry. As moderator for two internet newsletters, The Nugget and The Illustrator, I've goofed up the mailing lists at least twice in as many weeks, sending one newsletter to the subscribers of the other. I have mis-typed Bible texts, sending out horribly misquoted scripture, I have not been diligent about screening devotionals and have, on at least one occasion, sent out something that was contriversial. What is happening to me? I never used to have these kinds of problems, especially not where ministry was concerned! If I am truly fully surrendered to God, why would I be making such mistakes?

Naturally, all of these mistakes are a significant worry to me. The last thing I ever want to do is to lay a stumbling block in the path of one of His precious children. It seems to me that resigning my position to someone who would be more careful would be the logical thing to do; yet when I pray and ask God if this is what I should do, the answer is a clear, "No"! In the face of my persistent seeking, God then began repeating Himself with one particular message: He doesn't call the equipped; He equips the called!

The meaning of this stings. What it tells me is that God knows I can't do this job. In fact, He isn't asking me to do it. He's asking me to be His hands, His mouth. By contrast, I have been trying to do His work in my own understanding, my own strength. I have not been waiting in His presence for Him to instruct me! And as a result... Well the evidence speaks for itself...

So where do we go from here? God is clear: My job is not to resign; rather, my job is to not even attempt any type of ministry without a prayer on my lips! My job is to consult Him in everything; to pray for His strength, for His ability to find errors before it's too late. My job is to:

1. "Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act." (Psalm 37:7a NLT);

2. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." (Prov. 3:5-6 NLT); and

3. Remember that "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:13 NLT). Not on my own, but through Christ!

I am resolving today to do just that. I thank each of you for your patience through the many errors, and I so appreciate each of you for pointing them out. This devotional is not being written as an apology, however. Rather, I am encouraged to write this for one primary reason alone: We all fall so easily into the same traps! Please learn from my experiences. Don't take anything for granted. Don't rely on your own skill levels, no matter how good they may be. Instead,

1. "Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act." (Psalm 37:7a NLT);

2. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." (Prov. 3:5-6 NLT); and

3. To remember that "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:13 NLT). Not on my own, but through Christ!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Moderator, Associate Director with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 
Announcements
Is God calling you into ministry? Consider this very prayerfully: He wouldn't call you if you were equipped... He only calls you because He knows you can do it... Through HIS strength!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 10 Sep 2022, 1:54 pm

So often I've heard it in public prayers -- Hey! So often I've prayed it myself! -- "God, be my strength! Be my comfort! Be my protection! Be my hope!"

I suppose that others may not have their heads in the clouds quite as much as I tend to, so perhaps the revelation God gave me this morning won't come as a new one for you. It certainly was for me, however, and wow! How this will powerfully change my prayers!

You see, when I've heard this before, when I've prayed it, either for myself or for someone else, I've always taken it as a request. In fact, the word, "please" could easily be added in, in my opinion, and I often did add this word: "Lord, please be my strength, please be his comfort, please be our protection..." etc.

I will admit, however, that as I have heard these prayers and as I have prayed them myself, the thought in my mind has always been that I'm some how begging God, that I'm using this prayer to somehow turn His hand in a way that maybe He might not have wanted to turn it.

Most of us have had it happen that we get a song stuck in our heads. This is technically known as an "ear bug", and I don't know about you, but it drives me nuts sometimes! This morning I was struggling yet again to relinquish control of my agenda to the God who can handle it all when something came crashing in to ruin all of my "precious" plans. As if I didn't have enough to worry about in that moment, I got an ear bug: "Jesus, be the Centre..."*

It was nothing but a distraction at first, but then I gave in and let the words flow over me:

"Be my source, be my light...Be my hope, be my song... Be the fire in my heart, Be the wind in these sails, Be the reason that I live... Be my vision, Be my path, be my Guide, Jesus" *

As the "ear bug" played itself out, I realized I truly desired for Jesus to be my centre, my source, my light, my hope, my song, the fire in my heart, the wind in my sails, the reason that I live, my vision, my path, my guide. I understood that if He were truly these things, I wouldn't struggle so much with control. And slowly, the words of this "ear bug" became my pray. I actually stopped what I was doing, and with tears streaming down my face, I began to beg God to be my everything.

Did it make me feel better?

Not at all. In fact, I felt worse. You see, I already know that Jesus is all of these things already. Therefore, why should I need to beg Him to be those things for me? Didn't He love me?

It was then that the realization hit me. All these years I've been misunderstanding these prayers! Hey! I had even been misunderstanding this song! The key wasn't that I needed to beg Him to be my everything. He already is my everything! The purpose of these prayers isn't to turn God's hand; rather, it is to accept in my own life what He already is! The prayer is, essentially, an act of surrender!

I began praying the words of the song once again, only this time, I did so in a posture of humility, a posture of surrender, turning my agenda over to Him so that He could become my everything. 

At some point after that, I did manage to recall my former problem, how someone had thrown a monkey wrench into my plans. Somehow, however, it no longer seemed like anything worth worrying about... Not after having surrendered my day entirely to Christ and allowing Him to truly be the centre!

Is this what is meant by the author of the book of Hebrews: "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most." (Hebrews 4:16 NLT)? It is when we humble ourselves before Him enough to surrender our problems and admit we can't do it alone that we can then come boldly before the throne of grace and receive from Him?

As I said at the beginning, this may not be a revelation to some of you, and if you find yourself in that category, I want to congratulate you on having fully surrendered to Christ. If you, however, find yourself in the same boat as I did, using this as a prayer to somehow turn God's hand into being your strength, etc., then remember that God already is all of these things. Our job is to surrender ourselves to Him so that we can accept His strength, His peace, His hope!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Moderator, Associate Director, Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

* "Be the Center" from Vineyard Worship, 1999 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNOLwKGgGWQ

Announcements
Feeling a little lost in this world? Patricia Quigley, a Nugget writer, has composed a song entitled: I'm Not From This World, which she sings with her granddaughter. You can view this song on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3Qq0UP8L0

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 08 Sep 2022, 9:46 pm

"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later. — God"

When I first read that quote recently on a church reader board, I thought that it was a bit flippant and irreverent. After all, the "everybody" in today's world indeed includes many who are far from seeking God, living life simply to please themselves. Am I truly expected to love everybody, even hardened criminals? Yet, there is a kernel of truth in that quote.

"'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" (Matthew 22:37-39 NLT)

Loving everybody can take at least two forms: forgiving others and not judging others. Forgiving others means releasing my right to demand judgment or recompense when someone wrongs me, instead leaving it up to God to mete out whatever punishment He deems fit. We know that God is absolutely fair and just, and He will not overlook sin. He will, indeed, "sort 'em out later." Justice will be paid, whether now or later. It is not my prerogative to set myself up as moral judge and jury.

"Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven." (Luke 6:37 NLT)

Not judging others doesn't mean that we must condone or approve of someone else's sinful behaviour, nor does it absolve them of wrongdoing. Sharing with others the gospel of salvation is imperative.

Because of how God deals with sinners, we must forgive others because we ourselves have been forgiven much. We must relinquish our tendency to judge the actions of others because we ourselves are guilty of so much. One practical example for me regards following recommended protocols during this time of pandemic. I am accountable for my own actions, but I must choose not to turn friends into enemies if they don't agree with me.

A heart of forgiveness will result in loving and considerate actions toward others as we follow Christ's example of loving us. This may involve not looking the other way when our society seems to moving farther and farther away from God's commands. There are appropriate ways to be a steady influence for good through our personal example and in even more direct ways, such as our vote. Prayer for our nation and its leaders is a powerful force.

What are you — what am I — doing as we walk daily through a sinful world? However hopeless things look, let's love others around us and leave the judgment up to God.

Prayer: Dear God in heaven, give us grace to show love and consideration to everybody around us — whether they deserve it or not! Since You have forgiven us much, cause us to remember that we are to evidence a heart of forgiveness toward others. Amen.

Gail Lundquist
Beaverton, Oregon, USA

Reprinted from PresbyCan Daily Devotionals with Author's permission.

Announcements
Do you know any Twitter fans? Why not invite them to follow Answers2Prayer on Twitter? This is their opportunity to discover that our Heavenly Father truly cares for them, and that Jesus is not only their Saviour but their friend as well!

The Illustrator and the Nugget have joined forces and are now on Twitter under the name Answers2Prayer. This group is dedicated to bringing people closer to our loving God through daily thought-provoking devotionals and inspirational stories.

As always, this is a free. Our goal is to help your friends and family make Jesus their focus!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 07 Sep 2022, 9:32 pm

n half an hour, I have an appointment at the dentist's office. The hygienist is going to clean my teeth. I immediately think to myself, My teeth feel really grungy from eating my porridge at breakfast. I'd better go and brush and floss. I would hate to have dirty teeth with pieces of bran stuck to them for the hygienist to have to remove.

Then it strikes me. How similar that is to the feeling that some unchurched people have expressed when they think about coming to God or attending church. They consider that it is important for them to clean up their lives before they present themselves before God.

On the other hand, some church-going people like to think of their lives as clean before God, not realizing how sinful they really are. Because they are fine, upstanding, moral, good-living people, they think that they have very little to confess. I know — I've been there! When we do realize that we have done or thought something wrong, we often try to excuse ourselves or rationalize our mistakes, thinking that it was only a small, insignificant misstep, or that anyone else would have done the same thing under the same circumstances.

However, it turns out that when it comes to removing sin from our lives, none of us can excuse our own sin or clean ourselves up. The essence of coming to Jesus is realizing and admitting that only God can forgive sins. The realization of that fact is called "repentance" — thinking again — taking a 180-degree turn from self to God. How much easier it would be simply to admit our error to God and let Him forgive us, as only God can do.

When Jesus was teaching indoors at Capernaum, the crowd was so dense that four men, who wanted their paralyzed friend to be healed, broke through the roof and lowered their friend down inside the house in front of Jesus.

"When [Jesus] saw their faith, He said to him, 'Man, your sins are forgiven you.' And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, 'Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?' But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, 'Why are you reasoning in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, "Your sins are forgiven you," or to say, "Rise up and walk"? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins' — He said to the man who was paralyzed, 'I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.'" (Luke 5:20-24 NKJV)

Let's break through the roof of our pride right now, and let ourselves down in front of Jesus, to have Him forgive us and restore us to wholeness before God.

Prayer: Thank You for Your promise that if we confess our sins, You are faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (from 1 John 1:9) Amen.

Robin Ross
Mission, British Columbia, Canada

Reprinted from PresbyCan Daily Devotionals with Author's permission

Announcements
The blood of Jesus: It is amazing in its healing and protective qualities. Have you been covered with Jesus' blood? If not, why not do so today? You can do so in one of three ways:
1. You can view our Salvation video;
2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, or contact us via What’sApp at +1 (473) 417-8412, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Don't wait! Do it today!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 03 Sep 2022, 3:03 pm

Today's thoughts come again from the book of Song of Solomon. As I continue reading through this beautifiul piece of poetry, it is hard to remember that not so long ago, I dreaded the thought of even opening this book! In fact, as I read through it this time, I find myself "chomping at the bit", so to speak, excited to see what God will reveal to us next!

In the devotional from the Song of Solomon that was published in the Nugget last month (In the Desert Place), we saw in chapter 3 how the young woman longed for her lover, but when he didn't come to her, she went out looking for him until she found him. Today's devotional picks up just after she finds her lover. The young women looking on begin to cry out: 

"Who is this sweeping in from the wilderness like a cloud of smoke? Who is it, fragrant with myrrh and frankincense and every kind of spice? Look, it is Solomon’s carriage, surrounded by sixty heroic men, the best of Israel’s soldiers.They are all skilled swordsmen, experienced warriors. Each wears a sword on his thigh, ready to defend the king against an attack in the night. King Solomon’s carriage is built of wood imported from Lebanon. Its posts are silver, its canopy gold; its cushions are purple. It was decorated with love by the young women of Jerusalem." (Song of Solomon 3:6-10 NLT)

The women in the story identify the carriage's occupants as King Solomon. We know, however, that this beautiful piece of literature is a symbol of our relationship with Christ. What, then, is this image of the emerging carriage referring to? Let's take a look, piece by piece:

a. "Who is this sweeping in from the wilderness like a cloud of smoke?" The Bible tells us that when Jesus returns, He will return "like the clouds" of Heaven, and every eye will see him: "Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven. And everyone will see him— even those who pierced him. And all the nations of the world will mourn for him. Yes! Amen!" (Rev. 1:7 NLT).

b. "...fragrant with myrrh and frankincense and every kind of spice." Elsewhere in the Bible, we are told that Christians have the fragrance of Christ, and that we are, "...a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish..." (2 Cor. 2:15 KJV): So if we have the aroma of Christ, and our aroma is called "sweet", then we know that Jesus also has a wonderful aroma!

c. "Look, it is Solomon's carriage, surrounded by sixty heroic men, the best of Israel's soldiers. They are all skilled swordsmen, experiened warriors. Each wears a sword on his thigh, ready to defend the king against an attack at night." We know that when Jesus returns, He will bring with Him a mighty army: "Then I saw the beast and the kings of the world and their armies gathered together to fight against the one sitting on the horse and his army." (Revelation 19:19 NLT)

d. "King Solomon's carriage is built of wood imported from Lebanon. Its posts are silver, its canopy gold; its cushions are purple. It was decorated with love by the young women of Jerusalem." Isaiah 35:2 reminds us that, "There the Lord will display his glory, the splendor of our God." (NLT)

We see, then, that the entire scene of Solomon, described by the women in the story, fits completely and totally with what the rest of the Bible teaches us about the return of Christ.

We also know that the women in this story don't know King Solomon. They are simply looking on. These can be understood to represent those who don't know Jesus Christ, and we see that they are quite impressed by the spectacle that they witness. Then we see the young woman, who represents each child of Christ, calling out to them to: "Come out to see King Solomon, young women of Jerusalem.He wears the crown his mother gave him on his wedding day, his most joyous day." (Song of Solomon 3:11 NLT)! Her excitement and her enthusiasm for her king are so evident in her response!

Are we as enthusiastic about our Jesus as she is about her king?

Herein lies a beautiful picture of what our response to the unsaved world should be: We should be as excited to share our Jesus as the woman is to introduce the other women to her King Solomon! We know that we are required to witness, for that this was the great commission that Jesus left for each of us: "Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. " (Matthew 28:19-20a NLT). If it is what we are commanded to do, then why aren't we as excited to witness as this woman?

To answer this, we must first look at why she was so eager to share her king. Could it be because she knew from personal experience how wonderful he was? Because she had experienced his love and was so in love with him that she wanted the others to know what a great king he was?

Many of us know from experience how it feels to be in love with someone. We don't want to keep it silent. We want to shout it from the mountaintops! And this is exactly what motivated the woman in Solomon's poem. She was in love, and she wanted to world to know!

This is, I believe, the beautiful and vital lesson to be learned from this passage of the Song of Solomon. Knowing that the woman represents each of us, we must ask ourselves: Are we as in love with our Jesus as she was with her king? Are we as excited to share our Jesus as the woman was? Do we see the hurting, hungry world and cry out, as she did: "Come out to see my Jesus, you people of the world! He wears the crown given to Him by His Father!"

And therein lies the first step to sharing our faith: We must be in love with Jesus! When we are, our passion for our Lord and Saviour will drive us to share the good news! Therefore, if you want to obey Jesus' last command, but somehow you just can't seem to get enthusiastic about sharing your faith, then perhaps you need take some vital lessons from this woman: Perhaps the reason you aren't excited about witnessing is that you aren't as totally in love with Jesus as she was!

Feeling like the Great Commission is a big burden? Why not focus instead of falling passionately in love with Jesus? When you do, you won't be able to stop yourself from shouting out as she did, "Come out to see my Jesus, you people of the world!"

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
John the Baptist said, "The time has come...The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!" (Mark 1:15). But what exactly is the Kingdom of God? Check out "Basics of Basileia", a four-part mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan designed to help us have a better understand of God's Kingdom!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 30 Aug 2022, 9:52 pm

"But love your enemies, and do good and lend, expecting nothing in return and your reward will be great and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil." (Luke 6:35 ESV)

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ESV)

In 1 Corinthians 13:8 the first 3 words are "Love never ends."

My question to you today is this. Does love end?

I mean true love. The kind of love where you can't wait to get back to them. The kind of love God has for his children. Have you ever experienced that kind of love?

I haven't and I'm not looking, but if God put a guy in my life I would think about it.

The scriptures say to love our enemies. Do we really have to? It's so hard to love someone we don't like. But yes, we are to love our enemies.

The scriptures also says love is patient and kind. That's a hard one sometimes. It can be hard to love someone who pushes your buttons. But I have learned to be patient and kind.

My grandma said you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. So let's put out the honey, catch the unloved and love on them. Show them the love God shows us daily.

Kathy Keller

Announcements
Looking for peace but having trouble finding it? Why not check out previous devotionals on peace from the Scriptural Nuggets website? Click here! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 27 Aug 2022, 5:22 pm

Sometimes it is necessary to have a bit of Biblical knowledge in order to understand some of the Biblical passages. Hebrews 3:8 is one of these: “Today when you hear his voice, don’t harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled, when they tested me in the wilderness." (NLT)

With Israel's wilderness history full of rebellion (wouldn't our history be full of rebellion, if it had been recorded as precisely as Israel's?), this leads us to ask ourselves, "which wilderness rebellion?"

The passage in Hebrews actually references a passage from Ps. 95, and by going back to the original verse, we are given a lot more context: "The Lord says, 'Don’t harden your hearts as Israel did at Meribah, as they did at Massah in the wilderness.'" (Psalms 95:8 NLT)

The "wilderness rebellion", then, is none other than the rebellion that happened at Meribah!

Are you starting to feel like every time you look up a definition, you've got to look up the meaning of one of the words used in the definition? I certainly was! Which rebellion is known as the "Meribah" rebellion?

The reference takes us back to Exodus 17: "Eventually they camped at Rephidim, but there was no water there for the people to drink. So once more the people complained against Moses." (Exodus 17:2 NLT)

The story goes on to tell how the people argued with Moses, accusing him -- as well as the God he served -- of trying to kill them in the wilderness. Moses eventually cried out to God, and God gave him specific instructions: “Walk out in front of the people. Take your staff, the one you used when you struck the water of the Nile, and call some of the elders of Israel to join you.I will stand before you on the rock at Mount Sinai. Strike the rock, and water will come gushing out. Then the people will be able to drink." (Vs. 5,6 NLT) Moses obeyed God, water came gushing out of the rock, and then Moses, "...named the place Massah (which means “test”) and Meribah (which means “arguing”) because the people of Israel argued with Moses and tested the Lord by saying, 'Is the Lord here with us or not?'” (Vs. 6,7 NLT)

So then, this "wilderness rebellion" referred to in Hebrews is none other than the fact that the people complained against God and against Moses!

Wait. What is so wrong about asking for water when you're dying of thirst?

Please understand that prior to this, God had already provided water in miraculous ways: "When they came to the oasis of Marah, the water was too bitter to drink. So they called the place Marah (which means “bitter”)." (Ex. 15:23 NLT). He instructed Moses to throw a log into the spring, and the water turned sweet. (See Ex. 15). God had also miraculously fed them (see Ex. 16). Thus, when the people complained against God at Meribah, they were showing a lack of faith in a God who had already proven His faithfulness to them many times over! This "big sin" was none other than a sin of doubt! 

Hebrews 3, as well as Ps. 95, go on to outline the gravity of this rebellion: "For there your ancestors tested and tried my patience, even though they saw everything I did." (Psalms 95:9 NLT). God's response to that wilderness rebellion was harsh: "For forty years I was angry with them, and I said, ‘They are a people whose hearts turn away from me. They refuse to do what I tell them.’ So in my anger I took an oath: ‘They will never enter my place of rest.’” (Ps. 95:10-11 NLT)

Whoa. Wait. If God was that angry with Israel for simply doubting His promises, then those of us who are "grafted in" (See Heb. 11) are also not exempt from His anger! We have the record of Israel's miraculous deliverance, and we have also experienced many, many times in our own lives where God has been faithful. Therefore, when we doubt God, we are just as guilty as the people of Israel! The writer of Hebrews expresses this clearly: "Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God. You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God. For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ." (Hebrews 3:12-14 NLT)!

What doubts are currently running through your mind? Maybe you've been believing for healing, but you still have stage 4 cancer. Maybe you've been praying for a new job, but you are still unemployed. Maybe you have been praying for your child to come to God, but he is still running with the wrong crowds. Maybe you are praying to be freed from an abusive relationship, or in some cases, freed from prison; but the "bars" still surround you. Whatever it is, it is human to doubt that God hears you and answers your prayers. Don't, however, allow yourself to fall into that temptation! God is still there, He's still on His throne, He still loves you and promises to care for your needs. And... His timing is always perfect! Don't harden your hearts as Israel did at Meribah! Take that step out in faith, then use the waiting time to strengthen your relationship with God!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
There are many types of crowns mentioned in the Bible. Why are there so many? Check out "The Crowning Glory”! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 25 Aug 2022, 9:07 pm

"For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil." (2 Corinthians 5:1-10 ESV)

"For in this tent we groan"—I can relate. Maybe you can, too. Try as we might to stave off the effects of aging, aches and pains visit us out of nowhere. What once were easy, no-brainer movements, now take some planning—lest we repeat yesterday's painful jolt from twisting the wrong way. These unwelcome guests are sudden reminders that we are—sometimes to our total surprise—mere mortals, after all.

But Scripture points to a day when it will not always be this way.

The Bible tells us that one day what is mortal—decaying, passing away a little more each hour—will be "swallowed up by life." This is what it means to be redeemed—not just from our frail bodies that are showing some signs of "wear and tear," but from the crippling weight of our sins. Jesus has made this so. "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace" (Ephesians 1:7 ESV).

So, we can be of good courage, right now. Though we groan in the present, we press on by God's grace. Though we feel burdened down with these bodies, our confidence is in God. The apostle Paul writes, "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20 ESV).

By faith in Jesus our Savior, God the Father has given us new life—now and for eternity. "He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee."

Prayer: Heavenly Father, refresh our hearts and renew us by Your Holy Spirit to live each day for You. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Paul Schreiber.
Reprinted with permission from Lutheran Hour Ministries.

Reflection Questions:

1. What was something you first noticed about yourself that had to do with aging? (It's up to you to share if you like.)
2. What do you think it means that what is mortal will be "swallowed up by life"?
3. How do you stay encouraged in your faith even though life's realities may be tough to bear?

Announcements
Submit your prayer requests to us in one of three ways: 
- Via Email -- Send requests here
- Via What'sApp -- Send requests to +91 98696 68137 
- Via Facebook: Visit our Facebook members page, send a private message to Answer to all Prayers; or if you wish your prayer request to be published on the main answers2prayer facebook wall, click here and post your prayer request! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 23 Aug 2022, 9:08 pm

"O God, Creator of mankind, I do not aspire to comprehend you or your creation, nor to understand pain or suffering. I aspire only to relieve the pain and suffering of others, and I trust in doing so I may understand more clearly your nature, that you are the Father of all mankind, and that the hairs of my head are numbered" (Saint Francis of Assisi 1181–1226).

Suffering is an inevitable consequence of life.  There is no easy answer to this question of suffering or why some people seem to have a particularly heavy burden of pain to bear.  Walter Kaufmann wrote: "Faith in immortality, like belief in God, leaves unanswered the ancient question: Is God unable to prevent suffering, and thus not omnipotent? Or is he able and not willing and thus not merciful? And is he just?"  Some day-in Heaven-we will understand everything fully: "Now we see but a poor reflection; then we shall see face to face.  Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known" (1 Corinthians 13:12 NIV).

We will all suffer at some time - as a result of sickness, a bereavement or some personal incident; because of war or injury; because of economic circumstances that has caused so many to lose their homes.  And nature does not withhold its pain.  Earthquakes, droughts, floods and bushfires cause people untold suffering.  Australia and New Zealand recently remembered  the landing at Gallipoli in the first world war where those combined services, the ANZAC's, lost a generation on the battlefields of Turkey and Northern Europe.  Much of the world is suffering because of the pandemic with many fatalities.

Suffering is one of the unavoidable passages in life. James doesn’t say IF you face trials, but WHENEVER you face them. He assumes that we will have trials and that it is possible to profit from them. The point is not to pretend to be happy when we face suffering, but to have a positive outlook  because of what trials can produce in our life. James tells us to turn our hardships into times of learning. Tough times can teach us patience (see James 1:2,3).  Because of the sufferings of Christ, Peter was prompted to write in his first letter:  "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed......So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good" (1 Peter 4:11,12,19 NIV).

Remember that God is with you in the midst of suffering.  We are not abandoned because God has said: "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5 NIV).  Turn your eyes away from your situation and in faith turn to Jesus and thank Him for suffering and dying on the cross for you. Thomas a Kempis (C.1380-1471) wrote: "Accept suffering graciously. When you have reached such a point, all misery will seem sweet and you will relish it for Christ’s sake and think that you have discovered paradise on earth. As long as you object to suffering you will be ill at ease. Accept it, and you will find peace."

Have a good week.  If you are suffering now remember that Jesus did not come to explain away suffering or remove it. He came to fill it with his presence.

Pastor Ron Clarke
Optional Bible reading: 1 Peter 4:12-19.

This is one of a series of weekly messages of encouragement, now in its twenty-sixth year, originating from Gympie, Fraser Coast, Queensland, Australia. A companion Bible study page is available each week. To subscribe via email send to w4w2@bigpond.com with the words 'Subscribe Word (or) Subscribe Word & Study'. Our ministry is free and emailing lists are confidential. Tell a friend or why not put a note in your church newsletter or pew sheet about this ministry - we welcome new subscriptions. Pastor Ron Clarke OAM Word for the Week Mbl.: +61 488 424 321see

Announcements
Need help? Let us come along side you in prayer. Email us; or send a message via What'sApp to +91 98696 68137.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 20 Aug 2022, 7:15 pm

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Eph. 6:12 NKJV)

This is a very familiar passage of scripture, one that is preached on and written about often. But do we fully understand its implications?

Sure, you say. It means that the real battle is spiritual in nature. And you're right. The real battle IS spiritual in nature! But how can this impact how we interact with others?

Especially when they are just plain ... irritating!!!???

Let's put it this way: When someone purposefully does something that they know will make you upset, don't we have the right to get upset at that person? And we do just that: We get upset.

Sure the Bible tells us to forgive ("And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." Eph. 4:32 NKJV), and sometimes we do so immediately or within an hour/day or two. But sometimes we just don't forgive at all... We have all heard stories of families that have been angry at each other for so long, that they don't even fully remember what it was that made them angry in the first place.

Our tendency to not forgive is why we are admonished to, "So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath..." (James 1:19 NKJV); and “'Be angry, and do not sin': do not let the sun go down on your wrath..." (Eph. 4:26 NKJV). We are even told that, "Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly." (Prov. 14:29 ESV).

So what can we do to stop getting angry when someone hurts us?

We can remember Eph. 6:12! In the face of those people who make us mad, we need to remember that our struggle isn't against the person at all! It is against the powers, principalities and rulers of the darkness! It is against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places!

Think about it: What would happen if we would stop getting angry at the person; but instead, we would turn our wrath against the demons that are driving the division in our relationship with that person?

For example: Let's say your spouse expects you to drop everything and come running every time they need you. This, of course, makes you angry because it seems that your spouse doesn't see what you are doing as important. So what should we do? Get angry at our spouses? Or should we go into spiritual warfare against the demons of impatience that are driving our spouses?

Or perhaps someone is incredibly rude to you in the store. They push ahead of you, taking the last item on the shelf, even though they know you are wanting that same item. They push ahead of you in the check out line, etc. Do you get angry at that person? Or do you go into spiritual warfare against the demons of greed that are driving that person?

Here is a true story that happened to me a couple years ago. I was driving in a foreign country, and being unfamiliar with the roads, I hesitated before turning in order to figure out which way I needed to go. The driver behind me laid down on his horn, he raced up behind me, nearly rear ending me, then he raced around me, waving at me with a derogatory gesture as he did. About half a kilometer up the road, he got into the left turn lane. That just so happened to be where I wanted to go as well, so I pulled in to the left turn lane behind him. Instead of turning, however, he got out of his car, ran back to my car, yelling and swearing and waving his fist. Fortunately there wasn't anyone behind me, so I backed up, pulled back into the main lane, and drove away... maybe a bit faster than the speed limit! I was mad. Boiling mad to be exact. I hadn't done anything to deserve being treated like that!

I had a choice to make then: I could continue in my anger, or I could go into spiritual warfare against the demon of control that controlled this particular driver.

I won't kid you: I chose the former.

My husband, on the other hand, chose the latter. He began to pray against the spirit of control over the other driver; but he also began to pray over the spirit of wrath that had come over me. We will never know what happened with the other driver; but I can tell you that I was soon feeling a lot better!

I could give you multiple other examples, but the point is this: When you choose to go into spiritual warfare and renounce the demons that are driving the behaviour that makes you mad, you will be astonished to see how quickly the behaviour stops! Problem resolved, relationship preserved, all without anger or the need for forgiveness!

Why not try this the next time someone makes you mad? Go into spiritual warfare against the demon that drives that other person! I can guarantee you will see much better results than your anger might have brought about!

Oh, and if I might add one more thing... Sometimes when someone makes us mad, it isn't a demonic force affecting that other person, but one that is affecting us... Take, for example, the times I've gotten mad at my husband for not putting the toilet seat down... Yup! No demon affecting him there, he just forgets! My anger is fueled by my own demons of control! And the only way through that one is to renounce the control that made me mad in the first place...

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
Ever wonder about the Priestly roll of the Lord, Jesus Christ? What is its importance, and how does it compare to the Levitical priesthood? Check out the mini-series, "Of Indy, Community and the Almighty"! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 09 Aug 2022, 12:16 pm

In our continued study of the mysterious poetry of the Song of Solomon, I came across an interesting story. It is recited by the woman, which we know represents each one of us in our relationship with Christ: "One night as I lay in bed, I yearned for my lover. I yearned for him, but he did not come." (Song of Solomon 3:1 NLT)

More than any other passage in the Bible, this story typifies one of the primary problems that most Christians suffer: In the midst of our problems, God doesn't seem to be there! And the lack of His presence leads us to question whether or not He even loves us or cares! In the middle of the toughest times, we crave our Lord and Saviour. We need His strength, we pray for His intervention, we desire His presence; but, just as the woman's lover in this story did not come to her, God does not appear to be coming to us.

When this situation arises, we have a choice. We can turn our backs on the God who seems to have turned His back on us, or we can seek Him all the more intently. Though our natural tendency is to do the former, we can take courage from the woman in the Song of Solomon who actually chose the later: "So I said to myself, 'I will get up and roam the city, searching in all its streets and squares. I will search for the one I love.'" (Song of Solomon 3:2a NLT)

When God seems far away, when it seems like He could care less about our problems, let's follow her example! Let's go out and search for Him!

Unfortunately, that search may also be futile. It certainly was for this woman: "So I searched everywhere but did not find him." (Song of Solomon 3:2b NLT). And we get, understandably, discouraged. I suspect this woman was very discouraged as well!

So what do we do when we find ourselves in this very familiar scenario?

Perhaps we can again learn from the woman: "The watchmen stopped me as they made their rounds, and I asked, 'Have you seen the one I love?'" (Song of Solomon 3:3 NLT)

No matter how much it may seem that He is absent, God sends us encouragement!

Now when this woman came upon the watchmen, notice that it said they stopped her. She, of her own, might have passed them by, but they reached out to her!

Are you feeling like God has abandoned you completely? Watch and see who God has put in your path! It might be your pastor or a member of your small group. It might be someone you don't even know, but you recognize from your seat across the church auditorium. It might even be a total stranger! Hey, it might not even be a human. I was stopped in the midst of a major pity-party one time by a stray dog, and God used that dog to turn my eyes back to Him! And I could tell countless stories of God reaching out to me through flowers or birds, even through license plates! The point is, when God seems far away, He actually isn't! He's busy using other people/things to help us, and when we make the effort to seek Him in the midst of the dry times, we will find Him! Our job, like the woman of Solomon's story, is to respond to those sent to help us. To reach out to them, to ask them for assistance! Hey, maybe even to do as she did, "Have you seen my God? I can't find Him right now!"

We don't know how the watchmen of the story responded, for the very next thing recorded in the story is this: "Then scarcely had I left them when I found my love!" (Song of Solomon 3:4a)

You see, when we stop thinking about how much God has abandoned us, when we start seeking Him instead, our eyes are opened to the fact that He actually hasn't abandoned us and never will! Hasn't He said numerous times in the Bible, "for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'” (Heb. 13:5b ESV)

I think the reaction of the woman in the story is priceless: "I caught and held him tightly, then I brought him to my mother’s house, into my mother’s bed, where I had been conceived." (Song of Solomon 3:4b NLT). Notice here that she doesn't say, "thanks!" and turn and leave. She not only holds him tightly, but she returns to her mother's bed where she was conceived!

And this is how we, also, should react when God reveals Himself to us: We need to catch hold of Him tightly!

The next phrase, however, is a strange piece of imagery. She "brought him to ]her] mother's house, into [her] mother's bed where she was conceived..." Why would she do that?

Let's remember that when we accepted Jesus as our saviour, we were "born again":  “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.”(John 3:3 NLT). We are brought back to the place of birth, signified in this passage from the Song of Solomon as her "mother's bed, where [she] had been conceived"!

What should we do after a desert experience, after we seek the Lord, after we receive the help of those God has sent us, after we find Him again? We must cling to Him, and we must return to our roots! 

Remember how on fire you were for Christ in the early days of your relationship with Him? The fire kind of waned, didn't it? It happens to all of us! After a dry period in our lives, we must return to our "mother's bed", we must return to the level of relationship we experienced when we were first born again. We must remember what He's done for us, we must desire His Spirit, we must be "all-in" for Him as we were in the past!

Are you going through a dry period right now? Remember Song of Solomon 3:1-4! Seek God in the midst of it! Allow the help God sends! And when we find Him again, which will happen, we must cling to Him and return to the level of relationship we had with Him at the beginning!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Ever wonder about the Omniscience of God? Ever wonder if little acts of obedience are important? Check out the mini-series, "Omniscient God"!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 04 Aug 2022, 11:28 pm

In our continued study of the mysterious poetry of the Song of Solomon, I came across an interesting story. It is recited by the woman, which we know represents each one of us in our relationship with Christ: "One night as I lay in bed, I yearned for my lover. I yearned for him, but he did not come." (Song of Solomon 3:1 NLT)

More than any other passage in the Bible, this story typifies one of the primary problems that most Christians suffer: In the midst of our problems, God doesn't seem to be there! And the lack of His presence leads us to question whether or not He even loves us or cares! In the middle of the toughest times, we crave our Lord and Saviour. We need His strength, we pray for His intervention, we desire His presence; but, just as the woman's lover in this story did not come to her, God does not appear to be coming to us.

When this situation arises, we have a choice. We can turn our backs on the God who seems to have turned His back on us, or we can seek Him all the more intently. Though our natural tendency is to do the former, we can take courage from the woman in the Song of Solomon who actually chose the later: "So I said to myself, 'I will get up and roam the city, searching in all its streets and squares. I will search for the one I love.'" (Song of Solomon 3:2a NLT)

When God seems far away, when it seems like He could care less about our problems, let's follow her example! Let's go out and search for Him!

Unfortunately, that search may also be futile. It certainly was for this woman: "So I searched everywhere but did not find him." (Song of Solomon 3:2b NLT). And we get, understandably, discouraged. I suspect this woman was very discouraged as well!

So what do we do when we find ourselves in this very familiar scenario?

Perhaps we can again learn from the woman: "The watchmen stopped me as they made their rounds, and I asked, 'Have you seen the one I love?'" (Song of Solomon 3:3 NLT)

No matter how much it may seem that He is absent, God sends us encouragement!

Now when this woman came upon the watchmen, notice that it said they stopped her. She, of her own, might have passed them by, but they reached out to her!

Are you feeling like God has abandoned you completely? Watch and see who God has put in your path! It might be your pastor or a member of your small group. It might be someone you don't even know, but you recognize from your seat across the church auditorium. It might even be a total stranger! Hey, it might not even be a human. I was stopped in the midst of a major pity-party one time by a stray dog, and God used that dog to turn my eyes back to Him! And I could tell countless stories of God reaching out to me through flowers or birds, even through license plates! The point is, when God seems far away, He actually isn't! He's busy using other people/things to help us, and when we make the effort to seek Him in the midst of the dry times, we will find Him! Our job, like the woman of Solomon's story, is to respond to those sent to help us. To reach out to them, to ask them for assistance! Hey, maybe even to do as she did, "Have you seen my God? I can't find Him right now!"

We don't know how the watchmen of the story responded, for the very next thing recorded in the story is this: "Then scarcely had I left them when I found my love!" (Song of Solomon 3:4a)

You see, when we stop thinking about how much God has abandoned us, when we start seeking Him instead, our eyes are opened to the fact that He actually hasn't abandoned us and never will! Hasn't He said numerous times in the Bible, "for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'” (Heb. 13:5b ESV)

I think the reaction of the woman in the story is priceless: "I caught and held him tightly, then I brought him to my mother’s house, into my mother’s bed, where I had been conceived." (Song of Solomon 3:4b NLT). Notice here that she doesn't say, "thanks!" and turn and leave. She not only holds him tightly, but she returns to her mother's bed where she was conceived!

And this is how we, also, should react when God reveals Himself to us: We need to catch hold of Him tightly!

The next phrase, however, is a strange piece of imagery. She "brought him to ]her] mother's house, into [her] mother's bed where she was conceived..." Why would she do that?

Let's remember that when we accepted Jesus as our saviour, we were "born again":  “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.”(John 3:3 NLT). We are brought back to the place of birth, signified in this passage from the Song of Solomon as her "mother's bed, where [she] had been conceived"!

What should we do after a desert experience, after we seek the Lord, after we receive the help of those God has sent us, after we find Him again? We must cling to Him, and we must return to our roots! 

Remember how on fire you were for Christ in the early days of your relationship with Him? The fire kind of waned, didn't it? It happens to all of us! After a dry period in our lives, we must return to our "mother's bed", we must return to the level of relationship we experienced when we were first born again. We must remember what He's done for us, we must desire His Spirit, we must be "all-in" for Him as we were in the past!

Are you going through a dry period right now? Remember Song of Solomon 3:1-4! Seek God in the midst of it! Allow the help God sends! And when we find Him again, which will happen, we must cling to Him and return to the level of relationship we had with Him at the beginning!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Ever wonder about the Omniscience of God? Ever wonder if little acts of obedience are important? Check out the mini-series, "Omniscient God"!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 30 Jul 2022, 6:42 pm

Why is it that our powerful and effective prayers that result in deliverance do nothing to protect us from these monsters returning?

I don't know how often I've experienced deliverance from depression or anxiety as a result of prayer, only to have those demons return. Or all the times I've seen prayers of deliverance from anger or insecurity or frustration answered, only to watch these same demons attack again. And then there have been my personal prayers for deliverance from bulemia. God has always been faithful, He's always answered these prayers! Yet the temptation returns time and time again. Why is this? Isn't God's deliverance once and for all?

Logically it does seem that this ought to be the way. Yet the Bible tells that when an evil spirit leaves someone, this is what happens: "...it goes into the desert, seeking rest but finding none. Then it says, ‘I will return to the person I came from.’ So it returns and finds its former home empty, swept, and in order. Then the spirit finds seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they all enter the person and live there. And so that person is worse off than before." (Matthew 12:45 NLT).

I've always taken this to mean that once the evil is swept out of our hearts, we need to invite the Holy Spirit in to reside in their stead. That way, when those evil spirits return, they will not find the house empty. And I continue to hold to this belief; but is there perhaps more to it than this? What is it that keeps those evil spirits coming back to the same host in the first place? Is it possible that when we go to war against frustration, depression, anxiety, insecurity, anger, frustration, eating disorders, etc., we are actually not getting at the root of the problem?

An interesting story is recorded in 1 Kings 20. The wicked king Ahab is under siege from Ben-hadad of Aram. God intervenes, telling Ahab, "Do you see all these enemy forces? Today I will hand them all over to you. Then you will know that I am the Lord." (vs. 13 NLT), and as a result, Israel defeats the armies of Aram (see vs. 15-22). Naturally, Ben-hadad, a non-believer, attributes this to the fact that Israel's God was "a god of the hills". His next attack would be on the plains (see vs. 23-26). Once again, despite the wickedness of Israel's king and Israel's idolatry, God intervened: “The Arameans have said, ‘The Lord is a god of the hills and not of the plains.’ So I will defeat this vast army for you. Then you will know that I am the Lord.” (Vs. 28 NLT). And yes, once again, Israel utterly defeated the Arameans (see vs. 29-30).

It is in the next part of the story that we find the answer to why the demons that God delivers us from always seem to come back...

After the battle, Ben-hadad flees for his life. Remembering that the Israeli kings have a reputation for mercy, he appears to Ahab as Ahab is returning home and begs: "Your servant Ben-hadad says, ‘Please let me live!'" (Vs. 32b NLT)

In this story, the Israeli armies completely defeated the enemy, but their leader still lives. And when this leader begs for mercy, Ahab extends it to him!

It sounds like a good thing, right? After all, we are called to be merciful, even blessed for it (See Matt. 5:7)! But in this case, Ahab is actually condemned for being merciful: "Because you have spared the man I said must be destroyed, now you must die in his place, and your people will die instead of his people.” (Vs. 42 NLT).

Why is Ahab condemned for showing mercy?

Because he has disobeyed God, yes; but in addition, he has not removed the leader of his enemy. He is so satisfied with himself for having removed the immediate threat that he does not remove the root of his problem, the Aramean king, Ben-hadad!

When I think back to the depression, bulimia, anxiety, anger, etc., that I have so often fought against, I realize something important: The immediate threat has been removed; but the root of those problems are being allowed to live. What is the root of the bulimia that so often plagues me? Gluttony and poor self-image! What about my depression and anger? At the root are usually issues of control and entitlement! I can only speak for personal experience, but I believe that these returning demons are all rooted in something else, often something so deep that we don't even realize those roots are there. But just like it wasn't enough for Ahab to defeat the Arameans, it isn't enough for us to attack the visible demonic forces either. Just like Ahab needed to remove the root of the problem with Aram, their king, we also need to dig deep and remove the root of our anger, depression, anxiety, frustration, etc.!

The Bible speaks of "roots of bitterness": "Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many." (Hebrews 12:15b NLT). We would do well to head this advice, to humble ourselves before the Lord and ask Him to reveal to us what the demons we fight against are rooted in. He will reveal them to us, and then we can go after the problem at its source. When we do, we will find that our spiritual battles become a lot more poignant with a lot more lasting results!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
Does it seem like everything is in chaos?  Check out Order, Order, and Order, a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 28 Jul 2022, 7:06 pm

Awaiting Our Arrival
By: Rev. Dr. Armin Oldsen
---------------------------------------
July 28, 2022

"And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'" (Luke 15:21 ESV)

Christ told this parable to show how God is waiting for you. A man had two sons. The younger turned out to be one of the "playboys" of Bible history, but one who finally came to his senses. First, he asked for his inheritance before he was entitled to it, and a pampering father gave it to him. Then, when he had his hands on the money, the prodigal son proceeded to get as far away from home influences as possible. With a swagger in his step and a brazenness in his whole bearing, he was ready to live it up. He'd licked the world, all right—but the world beat him within an inch of his life! His newfound freedom he turned into license; everything he owned he spent in riotous living. Then came the payoff—as it always does. Everything was gone: money, friends, love, self-confidence, and self-respect. There was not even food enough—only famine rations.

Desperation prompts serious reflection. How men—and women, too—will think of home when they are far away from it, or when they have scorned it! The prodigal son thought of the home to which he no longer had a title. He was sure his father would denounce him as a fool, and he would have every right to do so. But, at the end of the day, this was the son's only hope. He recognized his guilt. He was ready to confess. He said, "I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants'" (Luke 15:18-19 ESV). Now that would take courage.

But look what happened!

His father was waiting for him, exactly as he had been doing ever since his boy walked out of his life. The welcome mat had never been taken in. The father was waiting for his son, not in anger, but with gifts, many of them, but best of all—forgiveness. "And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants, 'Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found"' (Luke 15:21b-24a ESV).

Some sinners, unwilling to recognize their guilt or too proud to accept God's generosity, will go through life to the throne of God's judgment with the burden of their sin. Others, like Martin Luther—their number is legion, and they are found in every truly Christian denomination—go home with the prodigal, finding God is waiting for them, and have peace both here and hereafter. The Heavenly Father is waiting for you. He will welcome you with open arms and bless you with forgiveness if you will go to Him in Jesus' Name and asked to be forgiven.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You for welcoming us home. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

From "God Is Waiting for You," a sermon excerpt from Rev. Dr. Armin Oldsen, former Speaker of The Lutheran Hour
Reprinted with permission from Lutheran Hour Ministries

Reflection Questions:
1. Do you think that God actually waits for us?
2. Do you know anyone who's lived like the prodigal son in Jesus' story?
3. What kind of lessons can we take from the father's love for his son?

Announcements
Looking for tips on how to witness to your non-christian friends and family?  Check out "Fishers of men!" a two-part mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:45 pm

Luke 21 records a beautiful story: "And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. So He said, 'Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.'” (Luke 21:1-4 NKJV)

Here we have a widow. And not just a woman who had lost her husband, but a "poor widow". We see this "poor widow" giving two small coins, or "mites", and we hear Jesus praising her for her gift.

Interestingly, we don't see Jesus praising the rich for their gifts. In fact, we almost hear an admonition: "for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God..." Yet this tiny, seemingly insignificant gift receives Jesus' full praise: "...this poor widow has put in more than all..." Why? Jesus tells us this Himself: "...she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had."

This text has been long used to encourage Christians to pay their tithes and offerings. It is often pulled out when someone feels they are too poor to be able to give money to the Lord, and it is used as a motivator. It is also often quoted as part of the prosperity doctrine: The more we give of what we have to the Lord, the more He will be pleased and will bless us!

I do not believe, however, that this is the only point of the story. As a matter of fact, the story doesn't actually mention that the poor widow will be blessed. It only says that she put in more than anyone else! The point is not that we will be blessed for giving more; rather, that gifts from our heart are more meaningful to God than any other kind. When we give everything we possibly can, it not only shows our tender hearts for the Lord, but it also shows that we are not afraid to step out in faith. It shows that we aren't giving to get more; but that we are giving out of the love and faith in our hearts!

Is this just talking about monetary gifts here?

Although the example is of a monetary gift, I don't think we should limit the meaning of this verse to mere donations of money. We are asked to give. Period. This includes our resources, yes; but it also includes our time and our talents. In fact, I clearly saw this principle in action just a few days ago. I received an email from a dear friend who has no income and significant health problems, including problems with vision, speech, fine motor skills, etc. After a life of caring for others, this person now requires total care himself. He has often communicated that he feels all purpose has been taken away from life. Yesterday, however, the message was different. He stated that he would continue to pray for the needs of other people for as long as there was breath in his lungs.

My friend has found his purpose.

Why the change of heart? Because my friend realized something significant: When we give all that we can, no matter how small, it is enough!

If you are not one who gives back to the Lord, what is your reason? If you are concerned that your gift would be too small for it to make a difference, consider the poor widow, along with my friend. Every gift to the Lord is appreciated and used. You never know when one small prayer will make a kingdom difference.

And if you are someone who routinely gives back to the Lord, what kind of a giver are you? Do you give out of your abundance? Or do you, like the poor widow and my friend, give all that you have?

The Lord is returning, and it will be soon. The lost are all around us. They don't know the Lord, and when He returns, it will be too late. I urge you to spend some time in prayer today, asking God how you can give. Maybe God will require a monetary gift. Or maybe He wants you to cook dinner for your neighbour. Or perhaps He is calling you to encourage the older couple around the block or to give someone a ride to the doctor. Whatever it is you have, no matter how small, it will make a kingdom difference. But only if you give it!

And just one parting thought about those dinners and words of encouragement and prayers... Let's always remember to give our "cup of water" in Jesus' name... ("For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward." Mark 9:41 NKJV)!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 23 Jul 2022, 10:14 pm

"...because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."(James 1:3-4 NIV) 

I have recently told the readership of how I am currently housing my late mom's cat, Dundee, until he can go to his forever home. Meanwhile, we both have a lot of adjusting to do. Me to him, him to me, and although this is going well overall, he doesn't seem to overly appreciate my attempts at getting him on a healthier diet and helping him lose weight. And I'm not sure he overly approves of my current "craze"...

You see, I have started limiting the amount of dry food this obese cat receives so that he can't just graze throughout the day. And although I'm giving him a bit more than what is recommended for a cat his size, he is not happy with his portions. He is a bit more inline with my second line of attack. One of the things I did as soon as he came to live with us is I limited his amount of treats. Prior to this, he was living almost exclusively on cat treats. Now he gets a prescribed number morning and evening, and a couple extra here and there if I have to clip his balled fur or put drops in his ears. My newest thing, however, is to make him run and chase his treats. He has to come up beside me and let me pet him, then I throw a treat across the room and he runs off to retrieve it. That way, he gets his treats, he gets a bit of exercise, and his mind is stimulated. This also makes him come to me for a bit of TLC, which I long for.

I threw one this morning where he couldn't retrieve it. Talk about being cat-distress! Naturally, I retrieved it and threw it again for him; but the look in his eye spoke a pitiful message: "Why are you doing this to me? Why can't you just give me my treats like my former 'mama' used to do?"

Of course, he doesn't understand my reasoning. He hasn't a clue that this is all for the improvement of his health. All he can see is that I'm not giving him his treats the way he thinks I should.

This all reminds me of a Christian's prayer life.

Not following me?

Look at it like this: Most of us go to God with our wishlists and our to-do lists. Some of us are low on our faith; but I believe that many of us truly believe that God will hear and answer our prayers. Nonetheless, the wishes don't materialize and the to-do list seems to only lengthen. Meanwhile, problems appear, seemingly out of nowhere, and then more seem to mushroom out of those. God, where are You in all this? Didn't You promise to answer my prayers? Why aren't You doing it? Why are things only getting worse?

Doesn't that sound a little like Dundee and the frustration he feels when I make him run after and hunt for his treats? He doesn't understand my reasons, and he doesn't even truly believe that he will get them. Nonetheless, he does. Every time. And in the meantime, he gets a bit of exercise.

I don't know about you, but my faith could use some exercise. God knows this far better than I. Perhaps this is why He doesn't just hand us what we ask for. Maybe this is why those circumstances are allowed to loom. God wants us to learn that we can trust Him. Period. It doesn't matter that things seem to be getting worse. God is still in control. He still answers prayers. But sometimes He wants us to exercise our faith! Why? So that our faith will grow and strengthen, thus opening the doors for even more miracles in our lives!

What will you do the next time you pray for something and things only seem to be getting worse? Why not try thanking God for using the opportunity to strength your faith? Why not put your trust in God for the final outcome, no matter what? The end result will be the same. God still answers prayers. But the interim piece will be oh, so much less stressful!

In His love,
Lyn

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 21 Jul 2022, 9:34 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 4 Corn10

Gathered Up
By: Carol Geisler
----------------------------------
July 21, 2022

"The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish." (Psalm 1:4-6 ESV)

In biblical times, wheat was harvested and threshed by hand. The harvested heads of grain were beaten with flails to crush and separate the stalks and hulls from the wheat kernels. The separated grain kernels and crushed hulls were tossed into the air. The heavier wheat kernels would fall to the ground to be gathered up, while the crushed hulls and bits of stalks—the chaff—would be swept away by the wind.

According to the psalmist, wicked people—those who reject the Creator and His ways—"are like chaff that the wind drives away." They are no more substantial that those bits of left-over, crushed hulls of grain. Yet as we look at the world around us, we may disagree with the psalmist's observation. From our point of view, the wicked appear to be very well established and often quite successful in their wickedness. The inspired psalmist also acknowledges this distressing reality, saying in another psalm, "I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For they have no pangs until death; their bodies are fat and sleek. They are not in trouble as others are; they are not stricken like the rest of mankind" (Psalm 73:3-5 ESV). The wicked seem to have the upper hand—for now.

There was a time, a short time, when the wicked triumphed even over the Son of God. According to God's plan for our salvation, Jesus allowed Himself to be overcome by "the power of darkness" (Luke 22:53b ESV), and for our sake He was condemned and crucified. Then, on the first Easter morning, Jesus rose from the dead in victory over sin, death, and Satan, overcoming the power of darkness, overcoming this world's evil. We are cleansed from our sins by Jesus' blood, and His victory is our victory. Following in Jesus' footsteps, we too must bear the cross. Although we will at times suffer from the wickedness that, for now, seems so triumphant, we know that Jesus has overcome the world. We pray that the wicked would turn from evil and repent as we bear witness to our Savior and to the forgiveness and hope found only through faith in His Name.

We know that the wicked will not always triumph. As the psalmist tells us, the day is coming when the unrepentant wicked and their evil ways will perish. Jesus will return as King and Judge, and the wicked "will not stand" in the Day of Judgment. Like bits of chaff carried off by the wind, the wicked will fall before the King of kings. But we, who are clothed by faith in Jesus' righteousness, will stand firm in the judgment because, according to our Lord's promise, by faith we have "already passed from death to life" (John 5:24b ESV). Like the kernels of wheat at the harvest, we will be gathered up into our Lord's presence to live with Him forever.

Prayer: Lord, keep me safe from evil until the day I am gathered into Your eternal kingdom. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Carol Geisler.

Reflection Questions:
1. Sadly, those who knowingly do evil oftentimes seem to flourish in this world. How does that stack up next to what the Bible says?
2. How does knowing that Christians have "passed from death to life" make a difference in the way you view the world?
3. How can we hold fast in faith to God though the world assails us on all sides?

Announcements
Sometime early in His ministry, Jesus had an interesting encounter with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. We aren't told much about this particular Pharisee, but Jesus' short encounter with him, recorded in John 3:3-20, is packed with essential life-giving nuggets of Truth. Please check out "Jesus and Nicodemus," A Study on Rebirth!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm

Redeeming the Hours
July 20, 2022
I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.

~ John 17:9 ESV ~

"I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. All Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them." (John 17:9-10 ESV)

What are your most useless hours of the week? Some people hate cooking dinner for themselves or scrubbing floors. But the real vanity of vanities, the epitome of useless time for me, can be stated in one pitiful word: laundromat.

It's not that I have anything against cleanliness, per say. It's just that I detest lugging loads of laundry, big bottles of detergent and bleach, hangers, and a small cache of coins to the local Breezy Clean.

When I'm there I often succumb to a sort of trance, staring at my tumbling blue jeans. The awful monotony is sometimes broken by a vigorous discussion some couple is having about the proper cycle for washing tube socks. There must be a better way. Pounding clothes with rocks in the stream at least developed muscles and a tan.

Do you have time you consider valueless—or at least less than your favorite time spent? The apostle Paul must have foreseen our modern-day tedium when he encouraged us to be "making the best use of the time, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:16). Oddly enough, prayer at these otherwise dreary times is an excellent way of doing this. Thinking we don't have time to spend hours on our knees each day, we fail to carve out for ourselves little niches of time in which to be alone with God.

There are so many needs out there and so many who need to hear about Jesus' love and sacrifice for them. There's the mother hospitalized by an accident. There are students at college in search of a solid church fellowship. There are teens all around us who are full of questions and seeking truth. There are children whose parents are going through a divorce. There are the parents going through a divorce. Do this for very long and one thing you'll find: the more one prays, the longer your prayer list gets.

I like recording the names of people I pray for, the requests I make, and the way God answers. If I didn't make these brief notes, I'd likely forget the specifics of many of the prayers I make in such times. The Lord does exciting, sometimes spectacular, things when His people pray. A written record reminds me to thank and praise Him for His endless love and His attention to the myriad details in our lives.

So, the next time you find yourself engaged in some low-intensity mental exercise (mowing the lawn, walking the dog, vacuuming the house), think about those you know and love and pray for them. Surely, this is what Jesus did as He thought about those He ministered to, those who would press on after His death and resurrection.

He prayed for us—"those whom You have given Me." That's you and me! And now we should pray for others also. It's a great way to make the most of our time.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, remind us to pray for one another and to do so often. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

From The Lutheran Layman, April 1979 issue, "The Most Useless Hour of the Week," by Jane Fryar

Reflection Questions:
1. What's one thing you really dislike having to do? Is there a way you've made that job easier?
2. How is Jesus glorified in the people God the Father has given Him?
3. Have you ever made a prayer list? If not, do you think it would be helpful?
Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” (NIV) Send your prayer request by email here, or through What'sApp to this number: +91 98696 68137, and let us pray in agreement with you! "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” (Matt 18:20 NIV) Hallelujah!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next