World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 25 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 25 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 10:08 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:55 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
January 2, 2016
The Indescribable Gift, Conclusion: New Year's Mesesage for 2016
By Answers2Prayer 
  Happy New Year!

"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift." (2 Cor 9:15)

Two weeks ago, I told the story of how I had received a beautiful watch for Christmas last year. It was, however, far more than a simple timepiece, and it took me a while to learn what all of its dials and buttons were for, and even longer to figure out how each of those little "features" could benefit me. 

What I failed to tell you was that the watch was also too big. I think that 3 of my tiny wrists could have easily fit in that band, and thus, until I made a trip to the nearest jeweler to remove over half of the links in the band, there was no way I could wear it.

Unfortunately circumstance dictated that I didn't make that trip to the jeweler, and my beautiful watch, fully unwrapped, fully understood, sat in its box for the next two weeks. 

When I did finally take my watch to the jeweler, I then found myself faced with yet another dilemma: I went so long without wearing a working watch that I had gotten out of the habit of looking to my wrist to know the time; and since my old watch didn't have all of the bells and whistles of this new one, I am totally not used to using the watch for the other things it was good for. It took time and effort on my part for me to fully begin to utilize my beautiful Christmas gift.

Over the course of the past two weeks, we have examined the major parts of Jesus' ultimate gift to us, described to us by Paul as "indescribable." We have learned that Jesus' Christmas gift includes the following:

1. Salvation: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16).

2. Salvation that is an individual gift, for each of us: "For unto us a child is born..." (Is 9:6a)

3. Not just individual salvation, but the conquering sin and death, forever: "...unto us a SON is given..." (Is 9:6b)

4. Jesus will one day be OUR government, and He will reign with order and justice and peace: "and the government will be upon His shoulders..." (Is 9:6c)

5. We have access to the wisest counsel possible: "And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor..." (Isaiah 9:6c)

6. We have an image of God the Father: "And His name will be called...Mighty God, Everlasting Father..." (Isaiah 9:6d)

7. We have access to ultimate peace: "And His name will be called...Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6e)

8. We have access to God's Spirit: "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me..." (Is 61:1a)

9. We have healing for our broken hearts and freedom from our spiritual poverty: "Because the LORD has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor, He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted..." (Is 61:1b)

10. We have freedom from the chains of sin and addiction: "To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound..." (Isaiah 61:1c)

11. We have access to incredible comfort and joy in the face of mourning: "To comfort all who mourn, To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness..." (Isaiah 61:2b-3a)

12. We are considered righteous, because we are covered by Jesus' robe of righteousness: "That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified." (Isaiah 61:2,3)

That's quite a list, isn't it? And although I love my new watch, I have to admit that the fullness of Jesus' Christmas gift for us is oh, so much bigger and better than any earthly gift, my watch included. But if we never put that gift to use, then it is no better than my watch, sitting in its box with a band that is too large, waiting for me to decide it was important enough to take to the jeweler. 

And in the same way that I then kept forgetting to look at my watch for the time, date, etc. once it was properly sized, just claiming Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" as our own, even when we are claiming it in its entirety, does not guarantee that we are making full use of it, for we have old habits that need to be broken. 

We need to program ourselves, so to speak, to use Jesus' gift, and the secret to doing so lies in spending time with God and meditating on the items on this powerful list so that they can become part of our spirits, so that we can know them as Truth, and so that we can partake of their fruits.

My New Year's resolution for 2016 is to fully unwrap Jesus' "Indescribable Gift:" To spend time learning what each of its parts can and will do for me, and then to spend time meditating upon these gifts so that I can utilize them to their fullest. 

I've noticed that my husband smiles every time he sees me looking at my watch. Doesn't it always make the giver the happiest when we utilize their gifts to the fullest? And isn't this what makes God the happiest as well? When He sees us fully utilizing His "Indescribable Christmas Gift?" 

If you've missed any part of this Christmas/New Year's message, you will find them published online by clicking here: The Indescribable Gift . Or if you do not have access to the Internet, just email me here, and I will send them to you. May God bless each of you in 2016 as you fully unwrap Jesus' "Indescribable Gift."

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.  
Announcement:

A blessed New Year to each one of you. May God be more real to you this year than ever before as you continue to unwrap His indescribable gift from Christmas.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 01 Jan 2016, 8:16 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 31, 2016
Out of the Storm:
New Year's Message for 2017

By Answers2Prayer 
 "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind..." (Job 38:1 NKJV)

Life happens. Storms happen. And though we would love to believe that this new year will indeed be "happy", we know that things won't always go as we wish them to go. Illness comes. Financial problems arise. There are problems with the kids, problems in our relationships, problems with our neighbors. We are not sheltered from any of these problems, and in fact, we may be going through them right now, and it is at such times that we need to remember Job:

Job's friends thought they had all the answers for Job. All Job needed to do was to repent. Job, on the other hand, had no idea what he needed to repent of. He, too, was sure he had all the answers, but things weren't following the "proper course". All five men, Job, his three friends and the fourth, younger man, Elihu, were certain they had complete understanding of God.

Eventually God did answer them all, and I find it very interesting to see that the Bible records: "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind..."

What is a whirlwind?

It's a kind of storm. In fact, some translations use the word "storm" instead of whirlwind. In other words, in the midst of Job's "storm", God reached out and spoke to him.

Why?

Though this is speculation, I would suggest that perhaps He used this opportunity because He knew He would have Job's complete attention!

You see, Job, though righteous in God's eyes, thought he had all the answers. Had it not been for the "storm" in his life, would he have ever realized that he didn't know everything there was to know about God? Who knows.

Now I'm not saying this is the reason Job was allowed to suffer, for the Bible records that the Satan brought this on Job to "prove" to the universe that people only worshiped God when times were good. Yet God uses all things for the good ("And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Rom 8:28), and He used the storms of Job's life to speak to him, to show him that he didn't have all the answers, to help Job understand that God is so much bigger than anything we can comprehend or imagine. In the midst of Job's storm, God spoke.

As you enter this new year, you will go through storms. In fact, you may already be going through pretty tough times. I encourage you to take a moment to stop and listen, for God spoke to Job through a whirlwind, and in the same manner, He will speak to us in our storms.

I believe Job was a little surprised by what God said, for his response shows he has been humbled: "I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You. You asked, 'Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Listen, please, and let me speak; You said, 'I will question you, and you shall answer Me.' I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:2-6)

Would Job have had such a reaction had he not been in the midst of a major storm in his life? I don't know. But I know that God will use the storms of our lives to help us to learn more about who He really is, to help us to grow our faith, to help us to learn to depend upon Him. For when we begin to learn these things, we find the true happiness in life.

Going through stormy times? Are the waters looking pretty rough? Don't forget: "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind..." (Job 38:1 NKJV)

Happy New Year!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcement:

Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
A HEBREW SAGE MIGHT SAY. . . 
O LORD our MIGHTY KING, YOU gave us this great and holy seventh day in love, for which we bless and praise YOU.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 31 Dec 2015, 12:08 am

Welcome to the Nugget
December 29, 2015
After the Presents
bible
By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us
"This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalms 118:24) 

When I was a boy I used to look forward to Christmas morning with all the eager anticipation of a child. I couldn't wait to crawl under the tree, pull out my presents, and rip off the paper. 

Yet, the best part of the day came after the presents. Once those presents were opened I would spend hours reading the books I got with pure pleasure and playing with the toys I got with joyful abandon. Yet, the best part of the day came after playtime. Christmas dinner at our house was more often than not an Italian style feast fit for a king with spaghetti in slow cooked tomato sauce full of meatballs, steak, potatoes, and chicken all topped off with freshly baked loaves of bread. 

Yet, the best part of the day came after dinner.

The best part of the day was in the evening when the whole family sat down together in the living room. My brothers and I would be crowded together with my Mom on the couch. My Dad and Nana would be relaxing in their chairs with warm smiles on their faces. Our little dog, Duke would be curled up at my feet napping. Freshly popped popcorn would be passed around while we watched some old Christmas movie on the television. More often than not, though, I would be watching everyone else instead. I could feel the peace, the love, and the happiness that connected us all. In my child's heart too I knew that God was present with us. It was the best part of the day of the best day of the year. It was Christmas!

As I grew older and had children of my own I did my best to create special days like this with them not just at Christmas but all through the year. I realized something special too. I realized that each day here was a present from God. I realized that each day we lived in love was our present to God. I realized that each day can be Christmas if we choose. May all of your days feel like Christmas. May every day feel like the best day of the year.

By: Joseph J. Mazzella
Announcement:

The packages may all be opened, but let's remember that Jesus' ultimate, indescribable gift is available for our use all year long! That's the best news possible!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 27 Dec 2015, 7:16 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 26, 2015
The Indescribable Gift, Part 5

By Answers2Prayer 
 "Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift." (2 Cor 15)

Last Thursday, on Christmas Eve, in "The Indescribable Gift," Part 4, we saw that integral parts of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" include receiving His Spirit, receiving His healing for our broken hearts, and receiving His deliverance from our addictions and sins. But Jesus' gift isn't just about one day of the year, it is about a lifetime, and today, though it is after Christmas, we will further look to Isaiah 61 for even more clues as to what this "Indescribable Gift" entails: 

"To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, And the day of vengeance of our God;" (Isaiah 61:2a)

Just what is this "acceptable year?"

The Old Testament speaks of a special year, the year of Jubilee. During this year that was to come once every 50 years, all land would be returned to its rightful owner and all slaves would be released (See Lev 25). The significance of this year of jubilee goes far beyond the scope of this devotional; however Jubilee was put into place to create a system of social justice, a system where the rich would never be able to dominate and the poor would not eternally remain so, because every 50 years things would be equalized and regulated. 

The Old Testament Jubilee is also a forerunner to Jesus' "Indescribable Gift." The "acceptable year" referred to by Isaiah is none other than Jubilee, the return to social equity. Jesus came to this Earth to return to us what had been stolen by the enemy: "So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten...You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied...And My people shall never be put to shame." (Joel 2:25 NKJV); to restore our ancestral inheritance, to make us one again with God, sons and daughters of the Most High: "Jesus answered and said to them, '...But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead...are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection." (Luke 20:34-36). 

Jesus came to bring us the ultimate Jubilee, the "acceptable year of the Lord."

But there is still more: "To comfort all who mourn, To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness..." (Isaiah 61:2b-3a).

And herein lies another beautiful part of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift," one that I am afraid so often remains unopened by those who have accepted Jesus' gift of Salvation.

Let's remember that in Jesus' day, a sign of mourning was to tear their clothing and put ashes on their heads. Thus, when Isaiah says that Jesus will give them "beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness," he is saying, under the direction of God's Spirit, that there will be no further need to mourn, because Jesus has made available to us the "oil of joy" and the "garment of praise!" 

We must notice here that in all of this, there is no mention that Jesus' gift includes freedom from troubles, and just knowing that Jesus brings us comfort doesn't make dealing with death and illness and loss any easier. How do we access that "oil of joy" and that "garment of praise?"

David gives us the answer in Psalms 16: "You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Ps. 16:11). In other words, at times when we mourn, Jesus promises to take us into His presence where we will find fullness of joy and garments of praise, despite the "spirit of heaviness."

There is just one more part to this incredible description of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift:" "That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified." (Isaiah 61:2,3)

I don't know about you, but I don't feel very righteous. I still sin, I still give in to temptation. Nonetheless, Isaiah tells us we shall be "called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord." How can this be? 

The answer can be found in vs 10: "...For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness..." (Isaiah 61:10).

Friends, we are "trees of righteousness, the plantings of the Lord," not because of any merit of our own, but because of Jesus who has given us HIS righteousness, and if we don't feel righteous or worthy of the presence of the King, it's because we haven't fully unwrapped Jesus' "Indescribable Gift," for part of that gift is to don his righteousness where ours is but filthy rags. 

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.  
Announcement:

Can there be still more to the "Indescribable Gift" that God gave us through Jesus that first Christmas? Join us after on January 2, after New Years, to see how this Christmas message doubles as a New Year's message to you: "The Indescribable Gift, Conclusion".
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 24 Dec 2015, 9:39 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 24, 2015
The Indescribable Gift, Part 4

By Answers2Prayer 

So far in this series, we've been looking at Isaiah 9:6,7 in order to understand the depth and breadth of what Paul describes as Jesus' "Indescribable Gift," the gift we celebrate this Christmas. We have seen that Jesus is our individual salvation, He is the solution to sin, He is the ultimate world leader, He gives us counsel, His ways are outside of human understanding, He brings us a picture of the almighty God, the Father, and He brings us peace. It's already beyond our comprehension, yet there is more to the gift. 

Let's look at another famous text from Isaiah to find even more clues as to what Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" entails: "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me..." (Isaiah 61:1a)

What is the significance of this? 

We know from the story of Jesus' birth that Jesus was conceived through the Holy Spirit. Thus He had a special anointing of God's Spirit from His birth (see Luke 1:35); but we also see that He was given an extra portion of God's Spirit at the time of His baptism: "After Jesus was baptized, just as he was coming up out of the water, the heavens opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming on him." (Matt 3:16, NET).

What does this have to do with Jesus' "Indescribable Gift?"

Just before returning to Heaven, Jesus promised His disciples the gift of the Holy Spirit:
"While he was with them, he declared, 'Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait there for what my Father promised, which you heard about from me. For John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.'" (Acts 1:4,5). 

Thus, the gift of God's own Spirit is part of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift," yet so many of us leave this part completely unwrapped. Let's receive the gift of God's Spirit this Christmas.

The next lines of Isaiah 61 are this: "Because the LORD has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor, He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted..." (Isaiah 61:1b)

The message of this part of Jesus "Indescribable Gift" to us is clear. Are you poor? Are you brokenhearted? 

As you look through history you see that most religions have aimed at the wealthy. And yes, the rich need the gospel message as much as anyone. But Jesus came to give His "Indescribable Gift to not just the rich, but to the poor. No one, friends, is beneath the gospel message. Jesus did not just come to save your neighbor from sin, He came to heal your broken heart, He came to share the gospel with--you!

"To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;" (Isaiah 61:1c)

An integral part of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" is simply this: To liberate those who are being held captive. 

What? You aren't in prison? 

You may or may not be in a physical jail, yet sin and addiction hold most of us captive. But Jesus came to this earth not just to save us from our sin, but to free and to liberate us from the one who has so long held us captive. 

Are you still struggling with that addiction? Do you still feel bound by the sin that you just can't seem to break? The problem is that we make our addictions our reality. When we make Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" our reality, those chains crumble away. Don't hesitate to unwrap this portion of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift." His death on the cross broke the chains of sin and addiction forever! 

I pray you will join me in completely unwrapping Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" this Christmas: In receiving His Spirit, in receiving His healing for our broken hearts, and in receiving His deliverance from our addictions and sins.

As incredible as all this already is, can there be still more to the "Indescribable Gift" that God gave us through Jesus at that first Christmas? Join us on Saturday, after Christmas, for Jesus' gift isn't just for one day of the year, but for a lifetime: "The Indescribable Gift," Part 5.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Today is Christmas Eve, the eve of the birth of our Lord and Savior. The presents are all wrapped, the tree is all decorated, and the Christmas dinner is pre-prepared. What about your heart? Is it ready for Christmas? Why not spend some time today contemplating the fullness of Jesus' indescribable gift?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:26 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 22, 2015
The Indescribable Gift, Part 3
By Answers2Prayer 

Last Saturday, in "The Indescribable Gift," Part 2, we saw that a magnificent part of Jesus' gift is that He will one day be our government, and He will reign with order and justice and peace. We also saw that Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" is great and excellent, it is amazing and astonishing, it is of the sort that arouses wonder, it is outside the normal course of events and cannot be explained. I don't know about you, but even if this were all Jesus' gift entailed, it would already fall under the category of "indescribable". But there is oh, so much more...

Continuing with the description of Jesus' gift given to us in Isaiah 9: "And His name will be called...Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Vs. 6c)

Counselor

The next part of Isaiah's description identifies Jesus as "counselor." 

In its historical Hebrew usage, this word is used in connection with a king giving counsel to his people (See Micah 4:9). Isaiah himself gives us further clarification about Jesus being a "counselor" in Isaiah 11:2: "And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and strength, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord." 

Need wisdom and understanding? What about strength? Knowledge? Fear of the Lord? Come to the almighty "counselor," Jesus, the Christ, the "Indescribable Gift." Don't leave this part of Jesus' gift unwrapped. He is there, ready to give us the counsel that we need. All we have to do is ask. 

Might God, Everlasting Father

In order to fully discover the meaning of this part of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift," it is necessary to have a basic understanding of the relationship between Jesus and God the Father. Consider this text: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men." (John 1:1-4)

Thus, we see that Jesus Christ has always been, and has always been a part of God. He is the Creator, the life, and the light of men, He is an integral part of the "mighty God." 

When asked by His disciples to show them the Father, Jesus said, "...Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works." (John 14:9)

Thus, as part of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift," we understand that in seeing Jesus, in learning about Him through the Word, through the life that He lived on earth and through His example, we can also come to know an integral part of God, and we can come to know the almighty God, God the Father.

Prince of Peace

In Isaiah's day, the term "prince" would have been understood as a leader among a group of people. The Hebrew word for peace, "Shalom" was often used to refer to a time of rest between groups or nations. Thus, when Isaiah calls Jesus the "Prince of Peace," He is saying that He is our leader, and He will bring us through times of rest and peace. 

To further understand this, let's go to Jesus' words, given to His followers before His death: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid" (John 14:27). We also see that one of the first things Jesus said to His disciples following His resurrection was, "Peace be with you..." (John 20:19).

Jesus also tells us to come to Him if we are tired and burdened, and He will give us "rest" (See Matt 11:28)

Do you feel the need of peace and rest in your life, friends? It is part of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift," all you have to do is unwrap it. Don't leave it under the Christmas tree, it's yours for the asking. If you feel that peace is evading you, spend some time meditating upon these texts. Give your worries to Jesus. Allow Him to cleanse your heart of sin, to make things right between you and the Father. Allow Him to do that wonderful, supernatural thing, to be your counselor, to show you a picture of the Father, to establish your heart in peace; for in so doing, you will have unwrapped yet another layer of Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" this Christmas.

So we see that Jesus gift entails individual salvation. It also provides the ultimate solution to sin. It points us to a time when Jesus will be our King, it gives us access to the wisest counsel possible, it shows us an image of God the Father, and it brings us peace. But only if we unwrap the gift.

But is this all there is to Jesus' "Indescribable Gift?" Join us next Thursday and see: "The Indescribable Gift," Part 4.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Are you ready for Christmas? 

I don't know about you, but I hate that question...But it does make me think. Is my heart ready to celebrate the birth of my Lord and Savior? Am I ready to accept the FULLNESS of His Christmas Gift for me? Join us on Thursday and Saturday to finish exploring this "Indescribable Gift", a mini-series by Lynona Gordon Chaffart.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 22 Dec 2015, 12:38 am

Welcome to the Nugget
December 19, 2015
The Indescribable Gift, Part 2

By Answers2Prayer 
"Thanks be to God for His Indescribable Gift." (2 Cor 9:15)

Last Thursday, in "The Indescribable Gift," Part 1, we saw from Isaiah 9: 6a that this beautiful, "Indescribable Gift" is for each one of us. We also saw that although it is an individual gift, it isn't just about the forgiving of our individual sin. Rather, it is about conquering sin and death, forever, and for this, we needed a gift that was not only fully human, but also fully God: The perfect "indescribable" gift, Jesus Christ!

But there is oh, so much more to Jesus' gift. Let's look at the next line of Isaiah 9:6:

"And the government will be upon His shoulder." (Isaiah 9:6b)

Friends, let's keep in mind that Isaiah wrote this prophecy at least a hundred years before Israel was taken into Babylonian captivity, and nearly 600 years before the birth of the Jesus. Isaiah lived in a time where there had been a long line of kings in both Israel and Judah of whom the Bible records, "And he did evil in the sight of the LORD..." (2 Kings 17:2, see also 1 Kings 15:26, 34, 16:7, 30, 22:52, 2 Kings 3:2, 8:18, etc.). In fact, the Bible records that Isaiah lived in the days of "Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah..." (Is 1:1). Although it is recorded that Uzziah and Jotham did what was right in the sight of God, the "high places were not removed; the people still sacrificed and burned incense on the high places." (2 Kings 15:35, see also 15:4), and of Ahaz it is written: "For the LORD brought Judah low because of Ahaz king of Israel, for he had encouraged moral decline in Judah and had been continually unfaithful to the LORD." (1 Chron 28:19). The point is, Isaiah was sitting in the rubble of both Israel's and Judah's monarchies, and he looked out under the inspiration of God's Spirit, looking across the centuries to a time when God would rule on earth through His Son: "And the government will be upon His shoulders."

Just what does this mean? 

Isaiah actually goes on to give us more detail: "Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever." (Is 9:7)

Unlike the failed monarchies of Israel and Judah, and unlike the failed governments of our modern world, this verse takes us forward to a time when Jesus will be our government. This government, under Jesus, will be orderly ("to order it") and peaceful ("Of the increase of...peace there will be no end."). It will be established with judgment and justice ("...establish it with judgment and justice"), and Jesus' powerful government will never, ever end ("from that time forward, even forever.") 

Isn't that a beautiful promise? As we look out over the world today, we see that peace and order and justice are so desperately needed; yet the promise of Christmas clearly shows us that there will be a better way, for this "Indescribable Gift" has been given to us in the form of a baby, whose birth we celebrate this Christmas.

Continuing on with the description of Jesus' gift given to us in Isaiah 9: "And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Vs. 6c)

So often when we hear this text, these descriptors just flow together; yet each one has a fantastic message to speak to each of our hearts. We will look at each of these descriptors over the next two lessons in order to discover yet other dimensions to Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" that we celebrate this Christmas. For today, we'll begin start with the word, "Wonderful..."

This is perhaps a rather common word, one that we throw around every day, but even in such a common word we learn of the enormity of Jesus' ultimate gift. The dictionary describes it as thus:

1. excellent; great: We all had a wonderful weekend; and 

2. of a sort that causes or arouses wonder; amazing; astonishing: The storm was wonderful to behold. 

We can therefore say that His name will be called "great and excellent, amazing, astonishing, of a sort that arouses wonder." * 

If you go back to the original Hebrew script, however, you find the word pala. This can be directly translated as, "something uncommon or out of the ordinary," "a phenomenon lying outside the realm of human explanation; that which is separated from the normal course of events; something that cannot be explained." ** 

Thus, Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" is great and excellent, it is amazing and astonishing, it is of the sort that arouses wonder, it is outside the normal course of events and cannot be explained. Is it any wonder that Paul calls this an "Indescribable Gift?"

With Salvation, the utmost solution to sin and death, perfect government, and a wonderful Savior, could there really be more to Jesus' "Indescribable Gift?" Join us on Tuesday and see: "The Indescribable Gift," Part 3.

In His love,
Lyn

* www.Dictionary.reference.com  
** http://www.jesus.org/is-jesus-god/names-of-jesus/wonderful-counselor.html  

Announcement:

Does it seem like everything is in chaos?  Check out Order, Order, and Order, a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan, to find out! 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 19 Dec 2015, 9:12 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

December 19, 2015
The Indescribable Gift, Part 2

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  "Thanks be to God for His Indescribable Gift." (2 Cor 9:15)

Last Thursday, in "The Indescribable Gift," Part 1, we saw from Isaiah 9: 6a that this beautiful, "Indescribable Gift" is for each one of us. We also saw that although it is an individual gift, it isn't just about the forgiving of our individual sin. Rather, it is about conquering sin and death, forever, and for this, we needed a gift that was not only fully human, but also fully God: The perfect "indescribable" gift, Jesus Christ!

But there is oh, so much more to Jesus' gift. Let's look at the next line of Isaiah 9:6:

"And the government will be upon His shoulder." (Isaiah 9:6b)

Friends, let's keep in mind that Isaiah wrote this prophecy at least a hundred years before Israel was taken into Babylonian captivity, and nearly 600 years before the birth of the Jesus. Isaiah lived in a time where there had been a long line of kings in both Israel and Judah of whom the Bible records, "And he did evil in the sight of the LORD..." (2 Kings 17:2, see also 1 Kings 15:26, 34, 16:7, 30, 22:52, 2 Kings 3:2, 8:18, etc.). In fact, the Bible records that Isaiah lived in the days of "Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah..." (Is 1:1). Although it is recorded that Uzziah and Jotham did what was right in the sight of God, the "high places were not removed; the people still sacrificed and burned incense on the high places." (2 Kings 15:35, see also 15:4), and of Ahaz it is written: "For the LORD brought Judah low because of Ahaz king of Israel, for he had encouraged moral decline in Judah and had been continually unfaithful to the LORD." (1 Chron 28:19). The point is, Isaiah was sitting in the rubble of both Israel's and Judah's monarchies, and he looked out under the inspiration of God's Spirit, looking across the centuries to a time when God would rule on earth through His Son: "And the government will be upon His shoulders."

Just what does this mean? 

Isaiah actually goes on to give us more detail: "Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever." (Is 9:7)

Unlike the failed monarchies of Israel and Judah, and unlike the failed governments of our modern world, this verse takes us forward to a time when Jesus will be our government. This government, under Jesus, will be orderly ("to order it") and peaceful ("Of the increase of...peace there will be no end."). It will be established with judgment and justice ("...establish it with judgment and justice"), and Jesus' powerful government will never, ever end ("from that time forward, even forever.") 

Isn't that a beautiful promise? As we look out over the world today, we see that peace and order and justice are so desperately needed; yet the promise of Christmas clearly shows us that there will be a better way, for this "Indescribable Gift" has been given to us in the form of a baby, whose birth we celebrate this Christmas.

Continuing on with the description of Jesus' gift given to us in Isaiah 9: "And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Vs. 6c)

So often when we hear this text, these descriptors just flow together; yet each one has a fantastic message to speak to each of our hearts. We will look at each of these descriptors over the next two lessons in order to discover yet other dimensions to Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" that we celebrate this Christmas. For today, we'll begin start with the word, "Wonderful..."

This is perhaps a rather common word, one that we throw around every day, but even in such a common word we learn of the enormity of Jesus' ultimate gift. The dictionary describes it as thus:

1. excellent; great: We all had a wonderful weekend; and 

2. of a sort that causes or arouses wonder; amazing; astonishing: The storm was wonderful to behold. 

We can therefore say that His name will be called "great and excellent, amazing, astonishing, of a sort that arouses wonder." * 

If you go back to the original Hebrew script, however, you find the word pala. This can be directly translated as, "something uncommon or out of the ordinary," "a phenomenon lying outside the realm of human explanation; that which is separated from the normal course of events; something that cannot be explained." ** 

Thus, Jesus' "Indescribable Gift" is great and excellent, it is amazing and astonishing, it is of the sort that arouses wonder, it is outside the normal course of events and cannot be explained. Is it any wonder that Paul calls this an "Indescribable Gift?"

With Salvation, the utmost solution to sin and death, perfect government, and a wonderful Savior, could there really be more to Jesus' "Indescribable Gift?" Join us on Tuesday and see: "The Indescribable Gift," Part 3.

In His love,
Lyn

* www.Dictionary.reference.com  
** http://www.jesus.org/is-jesus-god/names-of-jesus/wonderful-counselor.html  

Announcement:

Does it seem like everything is in chaos?  Check out Order, Order, and Order, a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan, to find out! 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 19 Dec 2015, 8:44 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 17, 2015
The Indescribable Gift, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  "Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift." (2 Cor 9:15)

With Christmas fast approaching, that time of year when we, through the giving of gifts to one another, celebrate the giving of the greatest gift ever, the baby Jesus, we are faced with a dilemma: Have we fully unwrapped Jesus' gift? Are we making use of the entire gift?

Paul describes Jesus' gift, the gift of His own life, laid down for us at the cross, as "Indescribable." With that kind of a descriptor attached, perhaps what I am attempting to do here is really impossible. After all, how can you describe a gift that is considered "Indescribable?" Nonetheless, the Bible gives us many clues as to what all is entailed in this "Indescribable Gift," and today we will focus on the clues given us in Isaiah 9:6-7:

"For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this." (Isaiah 9:6-7)

The first part of this "indescribable gift" is found in the first line..."For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given." So many of us believe that God's gift of Salvation is for everyone, but if we even recognize that there are other parts to the gift, we tend to think of those as being for someone else, perhaps even for a different time and age. But the text is clear: "unto us..." This one little pronoun in the English language is considered to be first person in plural: It includes everyone who reads these beautiful words. Friends, the gift is for you. It is for me. It is for all of us!

The second thing to be gleaned is also found in the same line: "For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given." This phrase points out to us the humanity of Jesus, how He came as a human being, in the form of a child. Why is this important? 

Because there was only one way out of the enslavement to the devil that we experienced: We needed to be rescued by another human being,

Why another human? 

We, as humans, were entrenched in and enslaved to sin. A god, even the God, could not pay the price of sin for a human being. For this, it required another human being, so "Unto us a child is given". Jesus came, not as a deity, but as a tiny baby, a human being. He grew up among us, He was faced with the same temptations that we face, fully human. He came in the only form that would work in our battle between good and evil. 

Finally, although the phrase, "For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given" implies Jesus' humanity, it also implies His deity, His existence before His birth as One of the three parts of God: The Son. The apostle Paul puts it this way: "who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men." (Philippians 2:6-7). In other words, Jesus came as the Son of God--God in human flesh, not just to provide forgiveness for my sin, but to conquer sin and death forever.

In summary, the thing we can learn about the "Indescribable Gift" is that it is for each one of us, for me, for you. However, although it is an individual gift, it isn't just about forgiving our individual sin. Rather, it is about conquering sin and death, forever, and for this, we needed a gift that was not only fully human, but also fully God: The perfect, "Indescribable Gift," Jesus Christ!

Please spend some time meditating on the enormity of these aspects of Jesus' gift as you go into the Christmas season this year, and be sure to join us on Saturday for "The Indescribable Gift," Part 2, to further see what the indescribable gift of Jesus Christ means for us today.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

I don't know about you, but I hate that question...But it does make me think. Is my heart ready to celebrate the birth of my Lord and Savior? Am I ready to accept the FULLNESS of His Christmas Gift for me? Join us during the upcoming week to explore this "Indescribable Gift", a mini-series by Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 16 Dec 2015, 7:53 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 15, 2015
The Indescribable Gift, Introduction

By Answers2Prayer 

"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift." (2 Cor 15)

Christmas is once again approaching, that time of year when we, through the giving of gifts to one another, celebrate the giving of the greatest gift ever: The baby Jesus. 

The problem is, this gift, described by Paul as the "Indescribable Gift," has, unfortunately, largely remained unopened. 

First of all, billions of people have never even heard of the gift, let alone opened it; to say nothing of the millions who, upon learning of the gift, refuse to unwrap it at all, thinking they don't "need" it, or it isn't "for them".

Unfortunately, the majority of the ones who have accepted the gift, have only "opened" the outside layer. They have accepted Jesus' gift of salvation and have received cleansing of sin. But there is oh, so much more than that to the gift!

Let me illustrate: Last Christmas I asked for and received a beautiful new watch. Having requested the timepiece to simply help me keep track of the time, I was a little overwhelmed to see all those dials and buttons on the face of the watch. "Oh well," I thought, "it tells the time, and that's the important thing." 

I then proceeded to think of the watch as simply a timepiece, and it was only later that I made the effort to read the paperwork that came with it. Only then did I learn that it had a built-in stopwatch, that it kept track of the date and even the moon phase. And then there is this dial around the face that I still haven't quite figured out, but the point is, my simple timepiece is oh, so much more! And so it is with the "indescribable gift" of the Baby Jesus: Salvation, yes! Thank You God! But oh, so much more. 

Over the course of the next two weeks, this series will look at what the gift of the Baby Jesus truly means. But first, why should we worry about fully unwrapping this gift? We have Salvation, don't we? Isn't that enough?

Yes, yes it is. If the gift were only about Salvation, it could still be described as the "indescribable gift". Praise God for the Salvation that it brings. But to fully understand this from God's perspective, let me go back, for a moment, to my beautiful new watch. 

I would later learn that my husband spent hours choosing that watch. 

First of all, he made the effort to find one of a specific brand name, which, unfortunately, is a bit hard to come by in North America. 

Secondly, he specifically hunted out and choose an analog watch that had a built in stopwatch and a date function, because he knows how often I need a stop watch, and how often I have to date things for legal medical records each day. He also knew that knowing the moon phase would amuse me.

Finally, he specifically chose one that would be waterproof up to 100m, for my last watch broke due to water exposure. 

How would he have felt if I had never taken the time or effort to get to know the "other" functions of my watch? 

I don't know, but if the tables were turned, my feelings would have been hurt and I might have said, "Why did I spend all that time and money on this watch when all he wanted was a time piece that I could have purchased from the dollar store?" 

This example is just a watch, but Jesus' "indescribable gift" is oh, so much more. My husband spent time researching my gift, yes; but Jesus left the fellowship of His Father and came to live on this Earth where: "He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief." (Is 53:3a). He suffered incomprehensibly, even laying down His life to give us this "Indescribable Gift." 

How must He feel when we do not fully unwrap it? 

Think about it! 

Friends, I invite each of you to join me this Christmas in desiring to fully unwrap Jesus' "Indescribable Gift." 

Join us on Thursday to begin learning what the "Indescribable Gift" truly entails.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Looking for inspiration this Christmas? Why not check out the Christmas devotionals that have been previously published in The Nugget? 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 14 Dec 2015, 10:08 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 12, 2015
Festival of Obedience, Part 4: 

By Answers2Prayer 
  Today in the concluding part of our Series on "Festival of Obedience," we come to

Subservient One...

"For I have come here from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to have my own way." (John 6:38)

"I will freely do what the Father requires of me so that the world will know that I love the Father. Come, let's be going." (John 14:31)

Can we ever fully fathom what it cost the Saviour to fulfill the Father's will? Right from leaving the indescribable glory of Heaven and taking birth in the lowly foul-smelling manger on the First Christmas to dying an agonizing death on the cruel Cross, God's Son experienced it all (Heb 5:8). 

His journey from the manger to the Cross also took Him through a life of poverty and obscurity in a humble carpenter's abode, which was followed by painful rejection by not only His countrymen at large (John 1:11), but also by his own kith and kin (John 7:5), of a God-pleasing Ministry done with no relative comforts or possessions that He could call His own (Matt 8:20). Hey, barring the clothes, which the Roman Soldiers casts lots for (Matt 27:35) at the end of His life, Jesus ("Son of the Richest Heavenly Father" Haggai 2:8) owned nothing else in His earthly sojourn! What sustained Him through all these? Only the joyous communion with the Father brought about by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (Luke 10:21) at all times. Even this sole comfort was taken away from Him as the crushing weight of all the sins of the World of all times started slowly but surely descending on His spirit (Matt 26:38-TLB) the night before His execution. Added to this, the next day, at a time when great physical pain from cruel whipping and excruciating agony of the crucifixion were already compounding His cup of woes, came that inexpressible agonizing moment of drinking fully from the cup of Divine wrath (Matt 27:46) as a sole substitute for all the sin of mankind. In short, at death He experienced Hell (all kinds of pain) on Earth, in order those who accept Him as Savior do not end up there! Woe unto those who do not receive such a great Saviour (who gave His all) into their lives in humble obedience to the Divine will (John 3:16, Heb 2:3). As for us who have received Him already and are walking joyously with Him, how can we ever adequately thank Him in return for all He's done for us, other than this way: "And so, dear brothers, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living sacrifice, holy--the kind he can accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask?" (Romans 12:1 TLB).

What does it mean to give our bodies as a "living sacrifice" other than living a life of love-inspired obedience at all times to His revealed will in the NT Scriptures (Matthew to Revelation) and the Holy Spirit's instructions (Acts 9:31/Gal 5:16)? If you resolve to do it this Christmas, after having first accepted Him as your personal Saviour, then be assured Heavenly joy which none can take away (John 15:11), and Heavenly peace which passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7/John 14:27) will fill your hearts and minds, enabling you to "enjoy" the abundant life promised by the Saviour (John 10:10) at all times. Oh yes, our Heavenly Father gives us a foretaste of Heaven right here on Earth as He moulds us into His Son's image (can sometimes be painful) before finally taking us "up there" to experience eternally the joys beyond our imagination (I Cor 2:9). 

Both for joyous journey on Earth (which would not have been possible but for the first Christmas) and the Blessed hope of Blessed future, let's rejoice. Again I say, lets rejoice. Merry, joy-filled Christmas time to you for the present and for all times to come!

Prayer: Father, there is no greater example than that of Your Son to elicit unquestioned obedience from our side. This Christmas and beyond, help us come across as "obedient children" to Thee at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy Servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:

Looking for inspiration this Christmas? Why not check out the Christmas devotionals that have been previously published in The Nugget?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 11 Dec 2015, 11:25 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 10, 2015
Festival of Obedience, Part 3: 

By Answers2Prayer
  Having contrasted the "beauty" of obedience (act of love for God) with the "grisly" face of disobedience (act of hatred for God) in this Christmas season, let's now train the spotlight on the oft-repeated Christmas story involving the three members' of the Holy Family. Ladies first...

Submit...

"And Mary said, 'Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.'" (Luke 1:38)

Now was not virtuous Mary aware of the probable panic reaction her untimely pregnancy would trigger in her own immediate family circles and her little village of Nazareth where negative reports are prone to travel faster? While on the subject is it not true that cruel slanderous rumors go quickly around the World and come back by the time truth finishes tying its shoe laces? Would there not be also a social backlash by way of her engagement being publicly cancelled by Joseph to whom, she was engaged? Finally throw in the possibility of her life ending prematurely by the Law-enforcers (Deut 22:13-21) of her village and the gravity of the problems her obedience to the Lord would bring in its wake emerges with no shades of gray. What did she do when it came to the crunch, as it were? Let's return to I Cor 13:7 which encapsulated her ready, love-inspired, submissive obedience to Her Creator: "If you love someone, you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him..."

The result? Not a hair in her head perished even as she brought forth the most precious baby ever born into this World. Besides, do not her words spoken in complete submission (captioned Scripture portion-Luke 1:38) before conception still continue to inspire us?

Speed...

"When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel commanded and brought Mary home to be his wife..." (Matt 1:24)

"That same night he left for Egypt with Mary and the baby, and stayed there until King Herod's death..." (Matt 2:14)

Not for righteous Joseph any delay when it came to acting upon the Lord's commands. His life exemplified speedy and implicit obedience, whatever be the cost. Coming out of one's comfort zone is a tough task. From being willing to take on public barbs (for "shielding the unrighteous" Mary) in the first instance, and then being willing to go to a totally new place (Egypt) and starting life anew therein from the very scratch, so to speak, we see in Joseph's acts of obedience the very definition of love as described in 1 Cor 13:7: "If you love someone, you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him..."

Viewed from yet another perspective, were not Mary and Joseph "bearing the cross" with poise for the glory of God long before Jesus spoke the words recorded in Luke 9:23: "Then he said to all, 'Anyone who wants to follow me must put aside his own desires and conveniences and carry his cross with him every day and keep close to me!'"

Prayer: Father, we praise and thank Thee for the wonderful examples of Mary and Joseph that continue to inspire us even today in the matter of obedience. Enable us to trust Thee at all times, even when it seems that the cost of obedience is very high. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy Servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:

Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 09 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

December 8, 2015
Festival of Obedience, Part 2: Odd Man Out--The Obedient Ones

By Answers2Prayer
  In the second part of our series on learning lessons on the importance of obedience during this Christmas season, let's focus initially on what disobedience actually stands for in order we better grasp the paramount significance of obedience.

For better understanding, let's take two tragic events of disobedience of far-reaching effects in the Scriptures which also incidentally bring to the fore the fact that sin can be of two types...Sin of commission (doing what our Creator doesn't want us to do) and the other Sin of omission (not doing what He wants us to do). 

While the crafty tempter did his part (Gen 3:1-7), what exactly could have transpired inside Adam's heart before he sank his teeth into the forbidden fruit? Undoubtedly love for eating the fruit far outweighed his love for His Creator, so much so that the latter resembled hatred, relatively speaking that is (Luke 14:26), even as he went ahead with a flagrant act of disobedience. Speaking about the attributes of love amongst others, the Living Bible sums it up in 1 Cor 13:7 wondrously thus:

"If you love someone, you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him." (1 Cor 13:7)

Hmmm...loyalty...taking the Lord at His Word...expecting the best from Him...espousing His cause...in the wake of a temptation...well...were not all these conspicuous by their absence when the forbidden fruit became "God" in Adam's eyes in that dark, poignant moment in human history? Post the Fall, with his love for His Creator and wife at an all-time low, he was not only afraid to see the Almighty face to face (I John 4:18) subsequently, but he also practically disowned his wife (when confronted by the Lord) with the cold, disdainful words...listen especially to the tone behind those words..."The woman you put here with me..." That's hard-heartedness with capital "H" for you. Imagine the effect on Eve, when these words left Adam's mouth...had not the very first husband sung paeans about his wife not so long ago in the days of happy obedience (Gen 2:23)? Doubtless Eve's heart condition also would have been no better or worse. Dear Friends, I hope you are able to see disobedience for what it is. What havoc it creates in relationships!

Now coming to the sin of omission...let's pick-up action from Numbers 13-14, when the erstwhile slaves of Egypt were standing at the threshold of the Promised Land. The good Lord, even after liberating them from Egypt by awesome demonstrations of His power (which ought to have enhanced their love and faith in Him), did not straightaway expose them to rigors of war (Exodus13:17), but rather in the intervening period had done all that was necessary to strengthen them emotionally and spiritually for the Divinely-ordained, paramount Conquest of Canaan by many more powerful manifestations of His care for them (parting of the Red Sea, daily provision of Heavenly manna, etc.). So what was the reaction of the majority of Jews when given the Divine command of conquering apparently formidable, wicked Canaanites (Leviticus 18:24-25) with the readily available help of that same mighty power which had not only liberated them from Egyptian slavery but had also led them safely thus far? Heart-rending to say the least as evidenced by these words...

"Why is the LORD bringing us into this land, to fall by the sword? Our wives and our little ones will become a prey. Would it not be better for us to go back to Egypt?" And they said to one another, "Let us choose a leader and go back to Egypt." (Numbers 14:3-4)

Hmmm once again...loyalty...taking the Lord at His Word...expecting the best from the Lord...espousing the Almighty's cause...sure signs of their love for their Divine Protector which would have led to implicit obedience...all sadly took the backseat! What instead came to the forefront was their shallow love nay hatred for their faithful, Divine benefactor! Now contrast the disobedience of the disgraced lot with obedience of the "Odd men out in the Crowd" Caleb, Joshua, Moses and Aaron- despite being fully aware of consequences of taking a positive stand for the Almighty when the majority mood was "let's return to Egypt..."

"The land, which we passed through to spy it out, is an exceedingly good land. If the LORD delights in us, he will bring us into this land and give it to us, a land that flows with milk and honey. Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not fear the people of the land, for they are bread for us. Their protection is removed from them, and the LORD is with us; do not fear them." (Numbers 14:8-9)

Does not the stand of the "Fab Four" embody all that you would hope to find in a person who loves the Lord deeply (re-read I Cor 13:7)? Where there is love, can obedience be far away? No wonder, posterity remembers these four good men and of them especially Joshua and Caleb for all the good reasons. 

Prayer: Father, this Christmas season and beyond, let the top priority of our lives be living obedient lives borne out of deep love and trust for Thee. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy Servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:

I don't know about you, but I hate that question...But it does make me think. Is my heart ready to celebrate the birth of my Lord and Savior? Am I ready to accept the FULLNESS of His Christmas Gift for me? Join us next week to explore this "Indescribable Gift", a mini-series by Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 05 Dec 2015, 9:59 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 5, 2015
Festival of Obedience, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  "If you love me, keep my commands..." (John 14:15)

Agreed, it is Christmas season, but before I come to the core of my Christmas message in this series of 4 parts, I would like to focus on what pleases and displeases the Lord the most. If the rest of humanity owes it (love-laced obedience) to the Creator for its "formation," we Christians owe it to Him for not only our "formation" but also for our "re-formation." The human race says Apostle Paul, "lives and moves and has its being in Him" (Acts 17:28). Had he not created Adam and Eve in the first place, there would be no mankind now, as it were, on the face of Earth. As for all of us Christians, had He not "re-created" us in Christ the moment we trusted His redemption plan (John 1:12/Romans 10:8-10), the word "Christian" (Acts 11:26) would not have seen the light of the day. So in all fairness, for the humanity in general which owes its very existence to the Almighty, and for Christians in particular who owe their Creator and Redeemer two lives (physical and spiritual), there ought to be none more dear to their hearts than the Most High One (Psa 91:1) and His statutes.

Love for God can be exhibited only by heeding to His instructions (1 Sam 15:22, 2 John 1:6). At this stage, honesty compels me to admit that I could not have walked with my Saviour and Sustainer for more than three decades now, but for His infinite grace and mercy shown in forgiving me so many times whenever I have sinned, and subsequently sincerely repented. That's why a wise Christian put it this way "Christian life begins with repentance and is sustained by repentance." Oh yes, chastisement sometimes received by me was painful but viewed in hindsight it did me a lot of good spiritually (Psa 119:71-72/John 15:2b TLB), making me fall in deeper love with my meticulous "Trainer." That is why Christian life can also be described as "falling in love with the Almighty again and again." Nonetheless, while weaving some indelible truths around the Christmas story this time around, I intend to encourage love-laced obedience to our Heavenly Father to the best extent possible (2 Peter 3:14-TLB) by initially projecting how really beautiful and how really ugly obedience and disobedience appear respectively in the Father's sight.

Just as love-inspired obedience pleases the Lord (Jer 2:2), hard-hearted disobedience grievously wounds His heart (Jer 14:17) for disobedience seen in its true light is nothing but hatred for the Creator. Quite often, we out of improper understanding, presume that sinning leads to hard-heartedness whereas in fact it is just the opposite. Hard-heartedness breeds sin with ramifications all around. When there is hatred for the Creator, can the hatred for His people around you (His Creation) also be far behind? For instance adultery (disobeying His Command) taken to its logical conclusion is not only a hard-hearted disposition towards the Almighty (Matt 19:8), but also an act of outright hatred (nothing more, nothing less and nothing else) towards a spouse leading to painful consequences.

Prayer: Father, this Christmas season we do not want miss the forest for the trees. We want to realize the fundamental truth and apply it in our lives that we need to display a love-inspired obedience to Thee at all times. Help us by supplying Your power even as we display our will. In Jesus' Name. Amen. 

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy Servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 04 Dec 2015, 11:08 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 3, 2015
Life's Many Gifts
By Answers2Prayer 
"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!" (2 Corinthians 9:15)

I am sitting in my favorite chair, looking across the family room at the gifts that are already under the Christmas tree. It is true that my cat has already tried to unwrap them, and many are now lacking bows and tags as a result of her capers. Nonetheless, each of those boxes, bags and packages, each envelope and each tube speaks of one thing: The giving of gifts. 

I believe that we need to look at these gifts from two different perspectives: the perspective of the giver, and the perspective of the receiver. 

From the giver's perspective, gifts are given for two basic reasons: Because the giver knows the receiver wants to receive the gift, or because the giver knows the receiver needs to receive the gift. 

And from the receiver's perspective, some of the gifts will be appreciated, and some will not. Some will procure the thoughts of: "What will I ever do with that?" while others, we simply wish we could give back.

God is a continual gift-giver. As we think about life, we see that God gives us gifts every day. Some of these gifts are things we want, and these we embrace with a big, "Thank You!" These may include that new job or promotion. It may include an answer to prayer, a new baby, a renewed relationship, freedom from addictions, from bullying, from temptation. It may include new and exciting opportunities, and to all these, we say, "Thank You, God, for giving these indescribable gifts!"

But there are also other "gifts" that are given to us that cause us to scratch our heads and say, "what will I ever do with this?" In light of the recent blanket of snow that was dumped on our region this past week, a snowstorm comes to my mind as something I didn't know I wanted and have no idea how I will use. So does a common cold, a sprained ankle, a temporary strike at work, a flooded basement, a burned dinner, etc. I'm sure each of you could think of many other examples of things we receive that we don't think we need. 

And then there are the other gifts...the ones we wish we could give back...Anyone who has received a bad medical diagnosis knows exactly what I'm talking about here. So does anyone who has lost a loved one. Job loss and relationship problems, as well as lack of finances will also fall into this category, making us scratch our heads and say, "How could God have allowed this to happen to me?"

No matter what our initial responses may be to these little (or big!) gifts in life, let's remember that they are given because God has allowed them to be given. This is a hard concept to embrace, especially when some of those "gifts" involve hard times. Nonetheless, I challenge each of us this Christmas to look back over the "gifts" we have received this past year--both the good and the bad. Let's remember as we do that though it is not God's will that we suffer, He sometimes allows it to happen. Nonetheless, He is always there to hold us up and carry us through, and if we let Him, He will to teach us multiple invaluable lessons along the way. In fact, if we let God carry us through what we would consider to be "bad" gifts; if, instead of wishing them away, we surrender ourselves to God's will, whatever that may be, we will, in the end, thank Him for allowing us to go through these bad times.

I;m not saying that God wants us to suffer, friends. All I'm saying is that no matter what we are going through, He is big enough. He may miraculously remove some of these little "gifts". Or He may simply carry us through them. But no matter what the road is that He chooses, He will bless us abundantly along the way.

Seem incredible? I challenge you to try it. Surrender to God's will, allow Him to carry you through, allow Him to be God in your life, and in the end, you will also say, "thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!"

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Christmas: Yes it does seem to start earlier every year, doesn't it? As we prepare for this special season of the year, let's don't get so wrapped up in the preparations that we forget the "Reason for the Season"!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:33 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
November 28, 2015
The Grass is Always Greener, Conclusion: The Secret to Happiness
By Answers2Prayer 
Last week, in The Grass is Always Greener, Part 2, we saw that we need to search our lives for any areas where we've subscribed to the "Greener Grass" mentality and renounce these in the name of Jesus. We must then spend time looking for the many blessings God has put in our lives. We will find them, and the day we do will mark the first day in our lives that we are truly happy. 

This discussion, however, does lead to an interesting question: If the "greener grass" mentality only leads us to discontentment and sin, and if this spirit of covetousness is at the root of all evil, then why do we always seek the "greener grass" that we don't have?

The answer is simple: It is because we have become discontent with what we do have, and this leads us to become blinded to the blessings that God has poured out upon us.

As I told in Part 2 of this series, I spent most of my early life in discontentment. I subscribed to the "Greener Grass" mentality, and I got so busy looking at the things I didn't have that I totally forgot the extensive blessings I had already received. As a result, I was robbed of happiness. Praise God, I am no longer this way. I learned the secret to happiness.

And what is this secret? 

Paul sums it up nicely: "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (Phil 4:11-12 NKJV)

Yes, you did read that right. The secret to happiness is to be content no matter what state you are in! 

How is this possible?

Paul answers this question in the very next verse: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil 4:11-13, NKJV)

In other words, the secret to happiness is not in what we do or don't have; the secret, rather, lies in whether or not we put our trust in Jesus Christ! 

Let's take a moment to contemplate just who Jesus is. Let's remember that He's the One who...

1. Fed 5000 with five loaves and two small fish (See Matt 14:13-21);
2. Walked on water (See Matt 14:22-31);
3. Calmed the raging storm with but a word (See Mark 4:35-41); and
4. Brought life to Lazarus' dead body (See John 11:43).

And this same Jesus can also bring life to each of our "dead" situations. Let's not subscribe to the "greener grass" mentality, friends! Instead, let's put our trust in Jesus Christ. Let's allow Him to strengthen us, to work His miracles in our lives, for when we do, we, like Paul, will be able to say, "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content..." We will have found the key to happiness.

But even more, when we renounce the spirit of covetousness in all of its forms, we are also ensuing that we will not sin against God or against our fellow man.

You know, my neighbor's grass does look a bit greener than mine...but that's because he hasn't cut his yet this spring, and it's a foot tall. Mine, on the other hand, may not look quite as green, but it is healthier, it will not harbor as many ticks and other bugs, and it will not be so hard to cut the next time I need to cut it! 

Greener grass? 

You can have it. I choose to take whatever "grass" God has put in my "yard" with contentment, ever reaching out to His strength to get me through!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Does anyone out there find the Bible dull?  Lacking in excitement and action?  Check out: Lights, Camera, Action! -- A mini-series in the books of Joshua and Acts by Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 27 Nov 2015, 10:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
November 26, 2015

By Answers2Prayer 
 "Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name." (Psalm 100:4)

"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever." (Psalm 107:1)

Thanks. A small word, yet with such enormity of importance. So much hinges on an attitude of gratitude.

As we celebrate Thanksgiving, we think of turkey, pilgrims, school pageants, parades, pumpkin pie. We recognize and give thanks for the gifts of family, home, jobs, food, friends, love, health, life itself.

It is a perfect time for asking, "What am I thankful for?" Even better, "Whom should I thank?"

Often it looks like it's a person who deserves our thanks. Sometimes we think circumstances get the credit. Yet ultimately, everything we have is a gift from God. Even who we are, our very breath, is a gift from God.

God uses people and situations to bring His gifts to us. He alone however is the Great Gift-giver. And, He is the greatest gift. Yes, it is good to know Whom to thank...

"Give thanks in all circumstances..." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

Sally I. Kennedy

Announcement:

Happy Thanksgiving to all American subscribers! 

Do you ever wonder about the tabernacle that Moses built in the wilderness?  The books of Exodus and Leviticus spend many chapters describing its construction, but does it hold any relevance for us today?  Please check out: Wilderness Instructions, a mini-series inspired by the tabernacle in the wilderness! 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 22 Nov 2015, 10:40 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
November 21, 2015
The Grass is Always Greener, Part 2: The Dangers of Coveteousness
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
Last week, in The Grass is Always Greener, Part 1, we saw that the greener grass mentality is thoroughly engrained in our human nature and is at the root of every sin known to man. But is there any other reasons for avoiding this mentality? 

I fell into the "Greener Grass" mentality rather early in life. I took to looking at other people and wanting what they had: Popularity, status, a boyfriend, a perfect figure, tanned skin, curly hair, the best grades, and the list could go on. It didn't help when someone rather important in my life began pointing out all of my physical faults and faults of personality. 
What did it all get for me?
First of all, it made me go out with the first boy who showed any interest in me. It didn't matter that he wasn't a Christian, that his motives were not pure, that I was unhappy with him. The only thing that mattered was that I had the status of having a boyfriend. 
This mentality also pushed me early in life into an eating disorder. I would have that "perfect" body, if it killed me! Funny thing was, no matter how I looked, it still wasn't "perfect", and now, 35 years later, the concerns caused by the eating disorder still plague me every day of my life.
Not being of an outgoing personality, I couldn't attain the popularity I coveted. Instead I dedicated myself to becoming the top of my class. I learned how to take tests and do projects. Unfortunately for me, book learning doesn't teach practical "smarts," so once again, my efforts backfired on me, and with each failure to attain the things I desired grew the belief that I was somehow "substandard." 
If the truth were to be known, my life really wasn't all that bad. God gave me a wonderful family, a great job, a beautiful house, two wonderful kids, a good car and 5 weeks' vacation every year. Why was it that I continued to wish for what I didn't have? 
Because I continued to find fault with everything. 
My family didn't always respond the way I wanted them to; my job got too busy, and I disagreed with management; my "great" car wasn't the car of my dreams; and the list could go on. Basically, my desire for what I didn't have robbed me of the joy of what I did!
There was just one other problem brought on by my "Greener Grass" mentality. The day God came into my life, He began telling me strange things: "I love you just as you are, for I created you this way;" "I created you for a purpose;" and "I love you enough that I died for you..." I didn't believe Him. As a result, my faith was stunted, and it took me a very long time to totally accept God into my life. 
I don't know where my story would have led if God hadn't been persistent with me. I've seen this same kind of path lead many to alcohol and drugs, elicit affairs, abandonment of children and family, even suicide, and this isn't even taking into consideration the multiple problems of health, relationships, emotional and psychiatric disorders that are often a consequence of our desire for greener grass, but the bottom line is this: The "Greener Grass" mentality keeps us from fully enjoying the blessings God has provided us with!
I would like to challenge each of you today to do two things: 
1. Search your lives for any areas where you've subscribed to the "Greener Grass" mentality and renounce these in the name of Jesus. Then,
2. Spend time looking for the many blessings God has put in your lives. You will find them, and the day you do will mark the first day in your life that you are truly happy. 
Please join us next week for the conclusion of The Grass is Always Greener, Part 3.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

The ultimate in prayers, changeless throughout history, powerful in simplicity: The Lord's Prayer. Please click here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 21 Nov 2015, 11:37 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
November 19, 2014
A Real Winner

By Answers2Prayer 
 "Jesus said to him, '"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind." This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.'" (Matt 22:37-40)

I switched off the morning news today while I sipped my morning coffee. The constant chatter about sports stars, celebrities, billionaires, and politicians had numbed my ears and left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't really care to hear anymore about what this world considers winners. Instead, I gazed out my kitchen window and thought about the true winners in this life.

I was sure too that Heaven was smiling down on them all whether they realized it or not.

Who are these real winners? They are all around us but we so often fail to see them. The single Mom who works all day to support her child is a winner. The person who gives up their one day off from work to volunteer at a food pantry or homeless shelter is a winner. The grandma who both bakes cookies and relearns algebra to help her grandson with his homework is a winner. The hospice aide who holds the hand of a dying person in their last hours here is a winner. The volunteer firefighters who risk their lives for no pay are all winners. The health care aide who dedicates her life to help the elderly and disabled is a winner. The adoptive parents who give a forever home to orphaned children are winners. The person who gives a Christmas present to a poor child he will never meet is a winner. The family who lovingly open their hearts and homes to furry, four-legged friends are winners. The young men and women who spend their Spring and Summer vacations repairing the homes of the poor are winners. The person who puts love ahead of money, kindness ahead of fame, and people ahead of power is the real winner in this life and in the next.

Everyone who loves others completely and unconditionally is a winner in the eyes of Heaven. Every person who spends their lives helping others is a winner in the eyes of God. May you be a true winner then, today, tomorrow, and always.

By: Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcement:

The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. Please click here for Study #1 -- JESUS AND NICODEMUS; Study #2 -- THE WOMAN AT THE WELL; Study #3 -- AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA; Study #4 -- THE BREAD OF LIFE; Study #5 -- The Shepherd and His Flock; and Study #6 -- The Vine and the Branches.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 19 Nov 2015, 1:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
November 17, 2015
He's Interested

By Answers2Prayer 
"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." (1 Peter 5:7)

So nobody seemed to care if you changed jobs or not. And nobody said much to affirm your new project venture. As you poured out your feelings in what you thought was a safe place, you found she wasn't all that interested. 

He is interested. 

Maybe there weren't many calls or notes from people who commented on your promotion, or sympathized in the loss of a family member, showed concern for a recent illness, or even remembered your birthday. Perhaps they are too busy or maybe they don't care enough to make it a priority. And when you were sharing from a gut level about the childhood hurt that God's healing, and there was no feedback or affirmation.

But He's interested. 

Got is interested in everything going on with you. Everything you think, everything you say, everywhere you go, everything you do, everything and everyone you are involved with. Jesus is the friend who 'sticks closer than a brother'. 

If you would like a relationship with somebody who cares - and is interested in you all the time - there you have it, anytime you want. How awesome is that?! 

Have you ever heard the saying if you feel far from God, guess who moved? He is faithful. You can count on him to be interested in every single solitary thing going on with you and in your life. 

Always. 

That's good news. 

"The Lord himself watches over you!" (Psalm 121:5)

Inspirational Messages, Sally I. Kennedy 2014 

Announcement:

It is sometimes very difficult to be content with the hand of cards life deals us; yet the Bible is clear: Give thanks in ALL circumstances (1 Thess 5:18). Join us on Saturdays for tips on how to be happy, no matter what the circumstances: "The Grass is Always Greener...", a mini-series by Lyn Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 15 Nov 2015, 11:36 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

November 14, 2015
The Grass is Always Greener, Part 1: The Root of Evil
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
The grass is always greener--on the other side of the fence! 

Many of us have heard and used this little idiom, and many languages other than English have similar expressions. What we don't realize, however, as this common adage slips from our lips, is that it sums up one of the greatest weaknesses of mankind: We want what we don't have. 

This isn't a new problem, for wasn't it the desire for what we don't have that was at the root of the first sin? The serpent told Eve: "For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:5, NKJV). Obviously Eve was somewhat dissatisfied with not knowing good and evil, and she gave in to the temptation. 

We see this human tendency also at the root of unfaithfulness. A man or a woman meets another, sees something in that person that they perceive they do not have at home, and they eat of the "forbidden fruit." 

We also see it as the root of theft, and so often it is also the motivation for murder. It is even at the root of dishonesty. I remember one time when I didn't get a very high mark on an assignment I had turned in. My teacher sent it home for my parents to sign, and since I desired for my parents to believe I was always a good student, I forged my dad's signature on the page. Naturally, I got in trouble, for my handwriting looked nothing like my dad's...

If you think your way through each of the 10 commandments, you will see that the "grass is greener" mentality is at the root of each one of the first nine. For example, why would we worship a different God or make graven images to worship if we were totally satisfied with the One we have? Why would we dishonor God by taking His name in vane or by seeking to find our rest in anything except God, if we weren't disillusioned? We generally don't honor our parents because we are dissatisfied with something they have done, and I've already mentioned how this is at the root of killing, stealing, adultery and dishonesty. 

And what about the 10th commandment? The last one? Well this commandment sums it all up very nicely with a direct command to not desire what you don't have: "You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's." (Exod 20:17, NKJV)

When you look at the history of the Israelites in the wilderness, we see that the "grass is always greener" mentality is also at the root of their problems. How often didn't they complain and ask to go back to Egypt--the land of their slavery? (see Ex. 17, Num 11 & 14 for just a few examples) . 

And what about us? Is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence in our lives? Are we dissatified with what we have? Do we want what we don't have? 

And why would Paul feel the need to tell us: "...I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content..." (Phil 4:11, NKJV)?

Please join us next week for The Grass is Greener, Part 2: The dangers of covetousness, for some personal lessons God has given me on this subject.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request to prayerrequest@answers2prayer.org and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 11 Nov 2015, 11:47 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

November 10, 2015
Of Penitence and Patience, Part 2

By Answers2Prayer 
  Having focused on that aspect of God's Character of reserving the worst for the last in the previous part of the series under the sub-heading "Penitence", we now train our spotlight on His Divine character of reserving the best also for the last...

Patience...

The fact that God's best is also reserved for the last ought to cultivate patience in us. Take the case of young Joseph in the warm embrace of his doting dad (Jacob) as it were, having dreams about his elevation over not only his siblings but over several authorities (Gen 37:4-11). Then it all happened...one tragedy after the other befell this eldest son of Rachel...thrown into the pit, sold for a pittance to the Ishmaelite traders by his envious brothers, being a slave in a benevolent Potiphar's house in a foreign country (a lull before another storm), literally and figuratively pulled by the prurience of Potiphar's life partner, landing up in a prison for no fault of his before being finally elevated as the Prime Minister in the Land of Pharoahs and Pyramids all in God's perfect time. Boy it took him 13 long years to come to his promised posting. What carried him all along? His patience, Ladies and Gentlemen (Psalm 105:16-19 TLB) that the good Lord what eventually deliver what He had promised him through the dreams. If the story of Joseph is the very definition of the phrase "Patience is a virtue that carries a lot of wait", then what about the one of young shepherd David anointed the King, even in his teens (1 Samuel 16)? From that time of promise onwards till the time of its fulfillment many years later (2 Sam 5:4-5), David's life represented a chaotic rollercoaster ride what with he being chased as a fugitive all over the countryside by the envious incumbent of the throne...King Saul.

Then coming to the climax, as it were on the subject of exhibiting patience, what about the Saviour? Let the Scripture take over at this stage...

"Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame , and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." (Heb 12:2) 

Yes, he endured the unimaginable, physical, emotional and spiritual suffering on the cruel Roman Cross. Now how many of us know that in order to cover the shame of our sins (Gen 3:1-10), He was crucified stark naked on the Cross? Reading accurate historical books on this savage Roman method of execution of yore or browsing the Net on this subject would underscore the point, I am making. Truth to tell, there is not an "area" of human suffering that the good Lord in His earthly sojourn did not "visit" (Heb 2:10). 

Honestly, should I need to say more? We His children, who have been promised what "no mere man has ever seen, heard, or even imagined" (1 Cor 2:9), need to patiently walk in the straight and narrow empowered from within by His all-powerful Spirit till we are "up there". Yes, let's be patient when difficulties come along, trusting that He would not allow any problem into our lives which is beyond our capacity to bear (1 Cor 10:13).

By the way, have you ever contemplated that even in Creation the Lord's best is reserved for the last. If in the old dispensation the Lord God created the perishable Heaven and Earth first and the first Adam last, then in the New dispensation, having "re-created" (read resurrected) the Final Adam First on the First Easter He is going to "re-create" the indescribably beautiful, imperishable Heaven and Earth towards the END (Rev 21:1) as an abode for all the "re-created ones" who then would bear the image of His glorious Son (1 John 3:2)! As we await patiently for all these ethereal events to occur at the end of Biblical history, let's make firstly receiving a Heavenly commendation our first priority (Matt 25:21) at the completion of our Earthly pilgrimage...a preceding event before the ones of Rev 21. So Dear Fellow Sojourners, as we trudge along (I write these words cheerfully...a la Paul...down as I am presently with a disc-prolapse condition) first in the straight and narrow path with irksome surmountable obstacles en-route towards the Country, we are citizens of (Philippians 3:20) banking on the perpetual peace and joy of the indwelling Holy Spirit to encourage us every step of the way...make no mistake...patience out to be our watchword!

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:

It is sometimes very difficult to be content with the hand of cards life deals us; yet the Bible is clear: Give thanks in ALL circumstances (1 Thess 5:18). Join us on Saturdays for tips on how to be happy, no matter what the circumstances: "The Grass is Always Greener...", a mini-series by Lyn Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 08 Nov 2015, 11:41 pm

November 7, 2015
Joining the Cause

By Answers2Prayer 
  The world is engaged in a battle.

Every time you turn on the news, you see evidence of the physical battles that seem to be mushrooming out of nowhere. But the world is engaged in an even larger battle than these physical ones, the battle between good and evil. Persecution of Christians is at an all-time high. So is poverty and human trafficing and drugs. Despite modern medicine, new and horrible diseases appear and ravage the planet. The core family continues to breakdown with divorce and single-parent homes becoming the norm. 

This all reminds me of the story of Deborah. Just like Jabin, the king of Canaan who oppressed God's people for twenty years (See Judges 4:1-3), we are being oppressed by the spirits of darkness: "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Eph 6:12) 

For Israel, God raised up Deborah and Barak (Judges 4:4-9), and He has raised us up a Deliverer as well, Jesus Christ: "Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you." (Luke 10:19)

Despite the fact that God raised up a deliverer for Israel, the people were still required to go out and fight: "Barak summoned Zebulon and Naphtali to come to Kedesh. Ten thousand men followed him, and Deborah went up with him." (Judges 4:10). In the same way, we are required to stand up and fight along side our Deliverer, against the sin in ourselves (Romans 6), and also to wage war against the evil one (Ephesians 6:10-18).

After the account of Jabin's defeat, we read a very interesting song known as "The Song of Deborah". As you read through this song, you realize that although many went out and fought against Jabin, many stayed at home to mind their own affairs. These were reprimanded for their actions: "Why did you sit among the sheepfolds, To hear the pipings for the flocks? The divisions of Reuben have great searchings of heart. Gilead stayed beyond the Jordan, And why did Dan remain on ships? Asher continued at the seashore, And stayed by his inlets." (Judges 5:16-17)

Who cares that they didn't fight? After all, the battle was still won in favor of Israel! 

Let's look at what the Lord did to those who did not follow the call: "'Curse Meroz,' said the angel of the LORD, 'Curse its inhabitants bitterly, Because they did not come to the help of the LORD...against the mighty.'" (Judges 5:23)

Who is Meroz? 

Good question. This is the only place in scripture where this place is mentioned. After it was cursed by God, it did not survive long enough to make it into any further history books.

Pure supposition? Perhaps. But the point is, those who did not answer the call to join in the battle were reprimanded.

What about us? We are at war, and we are called to join the fight. Have we done so? Or are we, like Dan, Asher and Reuben, putting our emphasis into the accumulation of our own wealth and happiness? Can it be said of us, as it was of Meroz, that we did not come to help the Lord against the mighty warriors? Have we called down the reprimand of God upon ourselves? 

So many say they are not receiving the abundant life Jesus promised. Could it be that this is because we have not embraced His cause? That we have not wholeheartedly joined in the battle?

Remember: "You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier." (2 Tim. 2: 3,4)

Think about it!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Just how patient is God? Join us on Tuesdays for "Of Penitence and Patience", a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 06 Nov 2015, 11:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

November 5, 2015
Tears and Laughter

By Answers2Prayer 
 "Then our mouth was filled with laughter, And our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, 'The Lord has done great things for them.'" (Ps. 126:2 NKJV)

I am finding that my eyes are a little more moist these days. I seem to be tearing up from time to time. Now it isn't because I am sad. I am neither depressed nor stressed. Nothing bad has happened to me either. In fact, I find myself smiling and laughing more often too. The simple truth is that while my love and joy have grown over the years, my empathy has grown along with them. When I see an act of love, kindness, and goodness towards another then, my eyes moisten. 

When I see another soul hurting they grow damp as well. I don't mind the tears, though. They mean that my heart is open and loving as it was meant to be.

It took me many years to tear down the walls around my heart and I am still not done yet. With God's love and support, however, I am taking them down one brick at a time. Yes, this leaves me more open to pain, but it leaves me more open to love as well. And love always heals pain. I find that God is not only helping me to remove the walls around my heart but is also putting that heart to work. I find that heart moved to give, to help others, to share love, to spread joy, to uplift and encourage everyone I can. I find it full of empathy, kindness, caring, compassion, and ever increasing love. If a few more tears come along with it as too then that is a price I am happy to pay.

Don't feel afraid then if you feel your own tears increasing along with your love. God is just bringing you closer to others and to Himself. The author Leo Buscaglia said, "Tears are good for you. They clean out your eyeballs." They also strengthen your soul and heal your heart. 

Embrace your tears along with your laughter then. Embrace your empathy along with your love. Embrace your compassion along with your joy. God loves us all and God wants us to love each other as well. May you always do so with both laughter and tears.

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcement:

If you enjoy The Nugget, encourage someone to subscribe. We also encourage you to share The Nuggets with others as well, as long as you do so without charging, and as long as you credit Scriptural Nuggets as your source.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:50 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

November 3, 2015
Of Penitence and Patience, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer 
 Worshipping God for what He is is the highest form of worship, standing head and shoulders above other forms of worship, which come with strings attached, such as worshipping Him for the blessings He showers upon us. While on the subject, at this stage, it would serve us well to look at the synonym of the word "Glorify", which is "Magnify". When, one magnifies Him, that is to say, when one keenly observes His Divine nature, with a magnifying glass, as it were, the "spiritual explorer" (if you permit me to use this expression) in you is bound to come across several unique attributes of the Almighty, which would evoke awe, and in turn lead to spontaneous, heart-felt worship and praise. 

In this Series of two parts punctuated with...what else..."Hallelujahs" (incidentally Hallel in Hebrew language means To praise and Yah means God) I would like to bring before my readership, one definite attribute in the Almighty, which at once evokes awe in me that is...He is (as the above-captioned Scripture emphasizes) an unchanging God.

A close examination of our changeless Heavenly Father's ways would underscore one fundamental truth again and again. That is if our Almighty God has always reserved his best and interestingly even his worst for the last, it is to birth in us two responses...of penitence and patience.

Penitence...

Let's take the Jewish exile as a case in point. The closer scrutiny of events related to the Jewish exile from the Promised Land as a result of their constant disobedience to God would reveal that it (exile) took place in four phases. Did not the good Lord warn our counterparts of the OT Dispensation even before the Conquest of Canaan that their stay in the Promised Land and their enjoyment of it would depend on His obedience to Him (Deut 28)? 

I) Northern Israel: In 722 BC by the Assyrians, after the idolatrous people of Israel (10 Tribes) had paid a deaf ear to several warnings of exile from committed prophets like Hosea, Amos and Micah;

II) Southern Judah: By the Babylonians, who by then had usurped the Assyrians as the World's numero uno among Nations (especially those of the "Fertile Crescent") 

a) Political -- Daniel 1:1-4 -- during which the Royals and the political class were exiled in 606 BC. To this group belonged the death-defying terrific trio...Shadrach, Mesach and Abednego

b) Economical -- 2 Kings 24:16 -- during which the craftsmen and the business class were exiled in 597 BC

c) Universal -- 2 Kings 25:8-9 -- during which everyone including the Judean King were exiled in 586 BC. The prestigious Jerusalem Wall was demolished and the Temple in which many Jews prided (built by King Solomon) was burnt...very much in conformity with the Lord's warnings (1 Kings 8:6-9). All these after fervent pleas of that zealous Prophet Jeremiah to repent and come back to the God-honoring "straight path" had been stone-walled by the hard-hearted Judeans of his generation.

The batch-wise exile reinforces the fact that God was giving an opportunity to His chosen ones to repent and seek Him in order their punishment is limited. Doubtless, a loving God would never want a massacre of His loved ones laced with destruction of His either beloved city or His magnificent temple. But was there a reciprocal response from His select nation to His lenience? Was the first comeuppance adequate to make His special people make amends in their lifestyle? No! His people sadly stuck to their stubborn ways despite several warnings of Prophet Jeremiah (I reiterate) of a more serious indictment coming their way. Finally, the somber record of 2 Chronicles 36:14-20 stands as a grim reminder of the fact of what would happen when we foolishly exhaust His patience for in that is a heart-rending account of a ruthless destruction sweeping across of what was once a proud capital of a God-honoring nation. This paved the way for the "universal" exile of those who survived (very few did) the onslaught of an all powerful Babylonian war machine spurred on by God's Divine wrath. Just as God's best is reserved for the last (John 2:10) for those who love him (Rev 21-23), His worst too is reserved for the last for those who forsake Him relentlessly (Rev 19:17-21, Rev 20:14-15)!!! Ask the hard-hearted Egyptian Pharoah, who had to bear the ignominy and pain of losing his first-born (Exo 12:29-30), when he did not humble himself after receiving a few divine blows initially...

Say, Dear Christian, do you sense that you have grieved the indwelling Holy Spirit, who is such a priceless gift to you (Eph 4:30)??? Then make amends in contrition as early as possible, lest matters get worse. How about saying along with me...stitch a time, saves nine.

Prayer: Father thanks for alerting me always as to my heart-condition always. How unconsciously I become hard-hearted. Forgive me for being a slow learner. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:

Why is it that the "Abundant Life" promised by Jesus to all who believe doesn't always seem so "abundant?" Where is the "prosperity" that is the Christian's due? The answer can be found in the book of Job. Check out "The Prosperity Doctrine Exposed," a mini-series by Lyn Chaffart  
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next