World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 32 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 10:08 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Thu 05 May 2011, 11:04 am

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 Footprints
Today's Devotional:
FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND

Recently I took a walk on Ponte Vedra beach, traveling at a brisk pace. A jogger breezed by me, saying a friendly “hello." Behind me were two elderly folks, ambling along.

The footprints in the sand captured my attention, and I noticed a visible difference in the three sets. The jogger’s feet hit the sand the hardest, leaving the deepest imprints. My footprints made a shallow impression, and the strolling couple- almost no marks at all.

The depth of the print did not matter, for when the waves washed over it and the sand was once more exposed, all the marks were washed away. When we take our walk on the beach of life our pace is immaterial. We may travel fast, slow or in between; but the most important fact is the direction we are headed. Is the path we are on taking us on a life long journey that Jesus would have us travel? Is our goal set on Heavenly matters?

I believe each Christian has spurts of spiritual energy, times to pace ourselves, and times of almost inactivity- a time of spiritual replenishing and refilling. In the same manner as the waves washed away the footprints, so the shed blood of Jesus washed over each believer to erase the sin print in our life. God has given us this wonderful promise in His written Word: "But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin." (1 John 1:7 NKJV)

Thank you, Lord that you love us unconditionally. We may be moving in the fast track, at a snail’s pace or somewhere inbetween in our service to You. We know your hands of love and compassion enfold us no matter my speed. Thank you for allowing Jesus to shed His precious blood so our sins would be washed away.

Marion Smith

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 35 Footprintblank-1
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 02 May 2011, 8:19 am

Welcome to the

Nugget

Today's Devotional:

AND GOD SENT A PROPHET

The book of Judges is a rather depressing book about how the children of Israel just keep sinking deeper and deeper into sin and wandering farther and farther away from God.

Initially the people sank into idolatry and they were overtaken by Aram, but when the people cried out to God for help, He sent Othniel, son of Kenaz, to save them (See Judges 3:7-11). Next came the Moabite oppression under Eglon, and God sent Ehud to save them (See Judges 3:12-30). Then the Philistines were a thorn in their flesh, and God sent Shamgar son of Anath, who struck then down with an oxgoad (See Judges 3:31). Next they were overtaken by Jabin, king of Canaan. But God is good, and once again, He sent a deliverer: Barak, with the guidance of Deborah and the help of Jael (See Judges 4,5).

But they still didn't learn their lesson. As soon as Barak and Deborah were gone, Israel returned to idolatry, and once again, they fell into the hands of their enemies. God used Midian this time, and after 7 years of oppression, the people once again cried out to God for help.

The above mentioned stories record simply that the people cried out to God for help, and He sent them a deliverer. But this time, the Bible records that God took a different, in-between step: "He sent them a prophet …" (Judges 5:8a)

Yes, God also sent them a deliverer, Gideon. But before He did, He sent a prophet. And this is the message of this unnamed prophet: "This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I brought you up out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. I snatched you from the power of Egypt and from the hand of all your oppressors. I drove them from before you and gave you their land. I said to you, 'I am the Lord your God; do not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you live.' But you have not listened to me." (Judg 6:8-10 NIV)

Why did God choose not to immediately send a deliverer, but instead, he sent a prophet? I mean, the people wanted relief, not someone to preach at them!

As you read through this book, you will see that this is the 5th recorded repetition of the same problem. Each time Israel fell into idolatry, each time God sent a deliverer, and each time, as soon as the judge, the deliverer, died, the people returned to their sin. So this time, God decided to send them a reminder of WHY they kept being overcome by the enemy!

Friends, when we are in the midst of problems, the last thing we want to hear is "why". The last thing we want someone to tell us is that the problem is our own fault. God, in His love, didn't include this step the first four times Israel fell into the same sin, but after the fifth time, God said what needed to be said. He, in His wisdom, wanted the people to understand the direct correlation between their sin and the consequences, for in His love, He hoped to prevent a 6th fall into sin!

There are two important lessons to be learned from this short passage in the Bible, for though it's easy to be hard on Israel for repeatedly falling into the same sin, we, ourselves, are no better.

The first lesson is to not be judgmental. When someone is in the midst of a problem that they, themselves, created, we need to be sensitive to the fact that they need help, not a lecture. Remember, God saved the lecture for the 5th repetition!

The second lesson is this: When we find ourselves repeatedly falling into the same sin, let's open our hearts to the Lord. Ask Him to tell us why, if there's anything we, ourselves, are doing that could be precipitating the consequences, and then, let's repent and ask God to give us the strength, wisdom and desire to not have any future repetitions!

In His love,

Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:11 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD OF BALANCE AND "IMBALANCE",
Part 1: Introduction & God of Balance

First things first. More than worshipping God for the blessings, which He pours into our lives, we need to learn to worship Him, JUST FOR WHAT HE IS!

Worshipping Him, awed by His unique attributes, is the noblest form of worship, for it emanates from the depths of the heart with no strings attached. Worship in its pristine form is nothing but an unalloyed form of an ethereal romance between the Creator and His favorite creation (Isaiah 62:5, Zephaniah 3:17).

In this context, let it be said that the driving force for winning souls to the Lord ought not to be only the need of saving them from the scorching hell-fire, but also to acquaint them with the indescribable heavenly joys that one is enjoying. That is "Balanced evangelism" for you.

In this series I intend to bring to the fore two of our Creator's sublime qualities. He is a God of BALANCE and believe it or not, at times He is also a God of IMBALANCE!!!

God of Balance

Firstly the former. Do we not see in the realm of physical creation, the principle of balance all around? If not for night following the day, would there be scope for rest and recuperation, before yet another round of strenuous activity? If there had been one continuous summer season, without the intermittent rainy and winter seasons, would not we all be baked dry? If it had been all rain, the depressing scenario of Noah's flood would loom before our eyes. If it is chilly winter all the way, would we not all be frozen stiff? Add to this the reverse breathing pattern of the plant and the animal World and a Hallelujah springs from the depths of the heart for the amazing balance He has placed in the physical World.

Next week, in OF BALANCE AND IMBALANCE, Part 2, we will take a look at the amazing balance in our Saviour's life and ministry. Join us next Tuesday for "Condensending But …"

Prayer: Father, just as you are perfectly balanced, enable us to be more balanced Christians, in order we bring glory to You in this watching World, where every action of Your children is put under the scanner. In Jesus Name. Amen.
Suresh Manoharan
Hyderbad-India www.jandsmministries.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:52 pm

Throughout this Lenten season, you have been encouraged to meditate upon Jesus' suffering, and to learn the powerful lessons each step of His trials, His ridicule, and His crucifixion have to teach us in faith. Tomorrow is Easter, and this final lesson on the sufferings of Jesus take us to the foot of the cross, to the hours just before His death. If you have missed any of these lessons, you will find them published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder10/suffering_of_jesus.htm .

THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS:

A Lenten Series, Part 8

The Darkness and the Separation

We pick up the story with Jesus' troubles at their peak. His blood loss is incredible. He is weak with hunger, dehydrated, His bones are out of joint (see Ps. 22), and the pain is astronomical. He is slowly asphyxiating, and just when things didn't seem like they can get much worse, darkness falls on the face of the earth: "Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land." (Matt 27:45 NKJV)

Since the people of the day calculated the hour from dawn (roughly 6 am), the third hour would be 9 am, the 6th hour would be around noon, and the 9th hour would be at 3 in the afternoon. So basically, at midday, when the sun is usually at its peak, darkness fell over the face of the earth and lasted for three hours!

There are many who would try to explain this phenomenon through natural causes: Dust storm, heavy cloud cover, etc. However the gospels do not support this. In fact, the original Greek states that literally, the sun failed. It was supernatural. It was caused by the immediate power of God.

So why would darkness fall over the land in the middle of the day?

The gospels do not tell us why, they simply record that it happened. If you look in the rest of the Bible however, you will see that darkness is often used to signify God's judgment against sin. Consider the following text: "Behold, the day of the LORD comes, cruel, with both wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate; and He will destroy its sinners from it. For the stars of heaven and their constellations will not give their light; the sun will be darkened in its going forth, and the moon will not cause its light to shine." (Isaiah 13:9-10).

Other examples include quotes from Jeremiah, Amos, Ezekiel and Joel, and darkness was one of the plagues against Egypt. Even Jesus used this term in describing the destruction of Jerusalem: "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken." (Matt 24:29-30 NKJV)*

The point is, darkness is used in the Bible, both literally and figuratively, to represent God's judgment against sin. When the lights went out that fateful day in Jerusalem, it was because our sinless, precious Lord was carrying every last sin that had ever been and ever would be committed, on His body! God's judgment had been passed! God is light, the direct opposite of sin. Darkness and light cannot coexist. If you have light, you do not have darkness, and vice-versa! When all of our sins hung on Jesus' innocent shoulders, it drew a shield of darkness so thick that God's light couldn't penetrate it!

Am I taking this a bit too far?

Remember Jesus' words from the cross? "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, 'Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?' That is, 'My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?'" (Matt 27:46 NKJV) Friends, Jesus cried out these words because God could not penetrate the sin He bore!

Jesus, who had never been out of contact with God, now found Himself completely separated from His source of strength, His source of love, His very being. Imagine the hopelessness. Imagine the fear and the desperateness. Imagine the anxiety and the pain!

I would like to propose that this separation from God, this darkness that fell on the face of the Earth, was perhaps the worst thing that Jesus suffered.

Tomorrow is Easter. The time of year to celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection. Before we go to church to sing about His resurrection, let's take a moment, to contemplate the suffering that Jesus bore. The suffering that we, ourselves, should have borne!

Remember, He did it out of love. He did it to re-establish the line of communication broken in Eden. He did it to re-open the door to a relationship with God, the door that was closed that fateful day at the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Don't take it for granted, friends! If Jesus gave that much for us, can't we afford to spend time with Him? To bask in His presence? To let His Spirit work in our hearts to mold and make us into the vessels we were intended to be? To return to others that love that He so selflessly and painfully gave to us?

Don't just go through another Easter this year, friends! Spent time in His presence! Contemplate what He suffered for each of you! I guarantee you will come away forever changed, for you will have fallen deeper and deeper in love with Him!

This is the last lesson from the Lenten Series, THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS. If you have missed any of the lessons, you can access them online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder10/suffering_of_jesus.htm

In His love,

Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 22 Apr 2011, 4:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
Today's Devotional:
HE DIED WILLINGLY

“Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.” (John 10:17, 18 KJV)

The crucifixion of Jesus is the most cruel and heartbreaking thing that has ever happened. Our precious Saviour was cursed, spat upon, beaten beyond recognition, rejected and mocked. They put a crown of thorns on His head and took His clothes off of Him. They gave Him vinegar to drink mingled with gall.

We talk about His crucifixion but I don’t think we really have grasped in our hearts that they really did all of these horrible things to Him. If we would finally grasp in our hearts, not just in our heads, that this really happened, we wouldn’t say cruel words to anyone nor do something mean to someone because Jesus died for every person.

I don’t think about Jesus dying for me too often because my heart breaks and I can’t stop crying. Just think, He could have come down from the cross if He had wanted to. All the nails and all the soldiers in the world could not have kept Him on the cross had He chosen to come down.

Our dear precious Saviour endured that all of that excruciating pain and He died willingly for you and for me. I believe for every nail that was pounded in His hands, He felt the agony and pain of the nails in His heart. I also believe that He did not die from the physical pain. I believe that He died of a broken heart.

What kind of love is this that would keep Him on the cross when He could have come down? It is an unselfish, giving and unconditional love. The Christ of Calvary has a compassionate and tender loving heart. He loves as much today as He did yesterday and He will love us as much tomorrow as He does today. His love is unending. He will love us for all eternity. Not only does He give love, He is love!

After all He has done for us, how dare you and I not die to our own selfish pleasures and serve Him with all of our time, all of our talents and with everything we have. How it must break His heart when we watch television hour after hour when the people He died for are lost in their sins and on their way to hell for all eternity. Are you willing to die to yourself and serve the One who gave His life’s blood for you?

Joanne Lowe
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:46 am

Today's Devotional:
AT ANY COST, BY ANY ROAD

She watched him leave, something impressing her she would not see him again

He had vowed to fight her poverty, brought about by the greed of bureaucracy, and he was so sure he would succeed, there was a swagger in his step.

Surely they would listen when they understood the reasons.

Word drifted back to her from time to time that he had met up with others who felt the same way. Her hopes ran high as she prayed with renewed purpose. Perhaps some day her son would fulfil the promises for a land of peace and prosperity.

She prayed as only a mother can pray.

Disturbing news filtered back as she met up with other impoverished families. They would meet as they went out to gather wild sycamore fruit and the grapes of a lone vine growing inaccessibly in a wild ravine. There, too, they befriended and tamed feral goats and milked them each day.

News came through the friendship network that the young men had so disturbed authorities, they had to disband and flee for their lives.

There was silence of them for a long time, then news of their robberies and violence came back to their families.

One family vehemently disowned their son, but she never ceased to pray for hers. Then came news that two of the young men had been captured and sentenced to death, guilty of the crimes she had so long feared they were committing.

Guilty: her heart was pierced and near to breaking.

"But the Lord can reach him!" She remembered triumphantly, and she prayed day and night.

There was no news. Her hope gave way to despair but still she pleaded for his mercy for her boy.

Then one Friday a foreboding paralysed her. She did not go out but stayed indoors alone and fasted and knelt in silent prayer.

She was hardly conscious of time and when she opened her eyes, everything was in darkness.

The thickness of the dark felt strange. She stood up and opened the door but there was no starlight and no moonlight, just a heavy blackness so black she seemed to breathe it in.

In fear, she returned to prayer, reaching out again to her Lord for her son, trembling with premonition.

"Lord," she prayed, "at any cost, by any road, bring him to yourself."

When she opened her eyes, the darkness had lifted and a strange peace settled on her.

Days later, the news filtered back. Her son had been crucified that day, along with her friend's son and another man. The third man was on the middle cross between them.

The strange report was that her son turned to the third man on the middle cross and said to him, "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom." (Luke 23:42)

Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 17 Apr 2011, 9:09 am

It is Lent, a time of year when we are encouraged to give up something that is precious to us. I would like to challenge you to take Lent a step farther by spending time in meditation, contemplating just how deeply Jesus suffered for each of us! The lessons we can learn will work to reinforce our faith and draw us closer to God! Join us on Saturdays throughout this Lenten season for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS! If you have missed any of these lessons, you will find them published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder10/suffering_of_jesus.htm .

THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS:

A Lenten Series, Part 7

The Gall and Wine

There are seven recorded utterances that Jesus made while hanging on that cruel cross. Each was short - no more than a few words, and each one showed complete devotion to mankind and to God. Except for one. One was a simple two word utterance, one that gives us a tiny hint of the torment Jesus was going through.

He said, "I'm thirsty." (John 19:28b Msg)

History tells us that crucifixion was the worst kind of death known to man. We are told that it is a slow suffocation and that in order to have enough air to continue living, it is necessary for victims to rise up by putting the weight on their feet. Eventually they became so weak that this was no longer possible, and then death by asphyxiation was eminent.

Because our vocal folds require air in order to be set into motion, it would be virtually impossible for anyone being crucified to speak unless they were putting their weight onto their feet. In the case of Jesus, He had a spike piercing His two feet together, holding them fast to the wooden cross. So the mere act of breathing meant that Jesus had to take the weight of His body through His nail-pierced feet.

Despite this, Jesus raised Himself seven times to speak. Is it any wonder that His utterances were short?

There are many causes of death listed under the term "crucifixion", but somewhere on every list is the word dehydration. In Jesus' case, He had been severely beaten. He had been forced to carry the crossbeam of His cross, a piece of wood weighing between 75 and 125 pounds (35-60 kg) all the way from Pilate's judgment hall to Calvary. His blood loss must have been tremendous, to say nothing of the moisture lost through perspiration. He was more than likely severely dehydrated before being nailed to the cross, let alone after hanging there for three hours! His two word utterance of "I'm thirsty" was likely a major understatement!

But what did they give the King of the universe to drink? "And they brought Him to the place Golgotha, which is translated, Place of a Skull. Then they gave Him wine mingled with myrrh to drink, but He did not take it." (Mark 15:22-24 NKJV);

Some translations call it "wine", some call it "sour wine", and some of the gospels call it "vinegar". Some of the gospels record that it was mixed with "gall" and others with "myrrh", and still others don't mention it being mixed with anything. According to Bible commentaries, vinegar was made of light wine rendered acid. It was the common drink of the Roman soldiers and was called either vinegar or wine in common language. "Myrrh" was a word was often used to denote anything bitter, and "gall" was the word often used to express excessive bitterness. So the drink was vinegar, or sour wine, made bitter by the infusion of some very bitter substance.

Imagine being deathly thirsty, and all you are given to drink is something horribly bitter!

This interesting mixture was often given to those who were crucified to dull their senses to the pains of death. Jesus, in the height of His suffering, had the opportunity to take something to dull his pain, but He refused: "But when He had tasted it, He would not drink." (Matt 27:34 NKJV)

Why would Jesus refuse something that would help Him through the most painful moments any human has ever experienced?

Simply this: He didn't want anything to come between Him and His father. The drink this mixture that would dull His senses to the pains of death would also dull Him to His Father's voice! Our sins were already separating Him from God, He didn't want to artificially add any more separation!

How often don't we also turn to earthly things to dull our pain? For some it is alcohol or drugs. For others it is the television or the Internet. For still others it is relationships, food, vacations, pets, or a myriad of other things.

Now I'm not saying that all of these things are bad. We need food to survive, and our pets and children bring us joy and comfort. And those suffering from intense, chronic pain need something to ease their suffering. But whether our pain is emotional, physical, mental or spiritual, any time we rely on these things instead of on God, anytime we lean on something besides Jesus, and we are blocking our ability to hear God's voice and accept His help!

I've often heard people say, "I want to quit smoking pot, but I'm so depressed, I need it to get me through the evening!" Why not take a walk and talk with God instead? I know of no better relief for depression!

And then there are those who say, "I need chocolate! It's medicine!" Why not try spending time in prayer instead? Tell God about your pain! Let Him heal you at the source!

For those who turn to movies or the Internet to forget their pain, tell God about it instead? He won't just distract you from it, He'll help you get through!

Friends, we will never, ever find ourselves in a position of worst suffering than Jesus did when He hung on that cross. Instead of turning to earthly things to dull the pain, let's follow Jesus' example! Let's say "no", and turn to God instead!

Please join us next week for the final edition of THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS: Part 8 - The Darkness and the Separation.

In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 15 Apr 2011, 3:41 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
FOCUS ON HIS HEART

“Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away. And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha: Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.” (John 19:16-18 KJV)

I have read and heard many sermons on the crucifixion of our precious Saviour. However, I have never read or heard an entire sermon about the anguish in His heart while He was hanging on that cruel cross for you and for me.

I want to focus on His heart in this devotion. Look with the eyes of your hearts at the heart of Jesus while He was hanging on that cross. He had been beaten beyond recognition. His heart must have shattered into a million pieces.

I believe that every time they pounded a nail into His hand, He felt the nail being pounded into His heart. If He had wanted to, He could have come down from the cross. Why would He stay on that cross when He could have come down?

The reason is because not only does He give unconditional love; our precious Saviour is unconditional love. He loves us so much that He was willing to stay on the cross and suffer all that excruciating pain for you and for me. What a loving Saviour!

Heavenly Father, how thankful we are that one day You opened Your heart of grace, mercy, compassion and love to us and sent Your beloved Son into the world to die for us so we may be saved. Father, You are so wonderful. I love You. Amen.

Joanne Lowe
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:13 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
VOICE OF TRUTH
'For this I came into the world, to testify to the truth, everyone on the side of truth listens to me. What is truth? Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said; I find no basis for a charge against him.” (John 18:37-38 NIV)

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27 NIV)

Recently, I watched a Christian film entitled, “Perfect Stranger” based on the novel “Dinner with a Perfect Stranger” by David Gregory. Having a great interest in Christian apologetics, I was deeply moved by the movie's presentation of the gospel. This small but powerful feature film tells the story of Nikki, a successful yet unsettled attorney who doubts the reality of the Christian faith. She then receives a mysterious dinner invitation from the Lord Himself. Assuming it to be a practical joke, she curiously arrived at the restaurant merely to discover herself engaged in a dispute with Jesus of Nazareth. The interaction and exchange between the two characters is excellent and held my attention. I gained insight from their debate and the key issues that challenge the very foundation of Christianity.

The question of Pontius Pilate still echoes even through the centuries as many are still asking “what is truth?” 1 Peter 3:15 we are advises “always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks.” Though many Christians fear sharing their faith, many believers are intimidated by the objections of non Christians who question the accuracy and truth of God’s Word. I have also experienced skepticism even from those who claim to be Christians. But with a better understanding of our faith, we can boldly yet lovingly rebuke and correct those who are in error.

In a world with many voices claiming to have the answer to truth, Jesus reveals the ones who belong to Him will hear His voice and follow Him. And for those who are still seeking, Jesus said in Revelation 3:20; “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” As the movie portrays, we are all invited to dine with “Jesus of Nazareth” who is as real today as He was over 2000 years ago. Let us prayerfully seek answers from Him and respond to the voice of the Holy Spirit. With patience and tenderness He will then guide us into wisdom and knowledge of our blessed Savior.

Prayer

Father, may our lives be a testimony to others that your Word is truth. And may we be prepared always to give an answer for the hope that is in us.

Lori Ciccanti
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 10 Apr 2011, 9:20 am

Welcome to the

Nugget

Today's Devotional:
Join us on Saturdays throughout this Lenten season for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS! If you have missed any of these lessons, you will find them published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder10/suffering_of_jesus.htm

THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS: A Lenten Series, Part 6:

Carrying the Cross

"Then he delivered Him to them to be crucified. Then they took Jesus and led Him away. And He, bearing His cross, went out to a place called the Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha, where they crucified Him, and two others with Him, one on either side, and Jesus in the center." (John 19:16-19 NKJV)

A series on the sufferings of Jesus would not be complete without mention of Jesus carrying His cross.

At this point in the story, it is important to remember what He has already suffered: He hasn't had anything to eat since the night before. He's spent at least 3 hours in the garden sweating blood, He's been up all night in a senseless trial listening to false accusations, to His own words and actions being turned against Him. His closest friends have fled, except for Peter and John, and Peter has just denied Him. Then He's gone to Pilot's court and to Herod's, and back to Pilot's again. Here He's been mocked and falsely accused, He's been condemned to death while a known murderer has been released in His stead. He's been beaten until His skin hangs in ribbons, and His blood loss is incomprehensible. Then, after all of this, the heavy crossbeam of the cross is placed upon His shoulders, and He is supposed to carry it from Pilot's judgment hall to Golgotha!

Many pictures depict Jesus carrying the entire cross, but history tells us that those condemned to crucifixion were only required to carry the cross beam. It, in itself, was a formidable piece of wood, weighing between 75 and 125 pounds (35-60 kg).

Imagine, as weak as Jesus was, having to carry that much weight!

And it wasn't a simple weight to carry, either! It was bulky and unyielding, and it was made of rough timber. Imagine the splinters rubbing against the shoulders of our Lord and King!

There are many lessons to be learned from this particular sufferance of Jesus.

The first is this: Jesus was willing to carry His cross.

We all have a cross to carry, but are we carrying it willingly, or do we complain and try to get someone else to carry it for us? Think about it: Jesus' suffering brought life to you and I. We, too, do not suffer in vain. Will we have Jesus' attitude through it all?

When you think about the weight and bulk of the cross, it isn't any wonder that Jesus needed help to carry it: "Now as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name. Him they compelled to bear His cross." (Matt 27:32-33 NKJV)

This is the second lesson we can learn: Jesus needed help, and when He was given that help, He was humble enough to accept it!

So many times we, as humans, are in desperate need of help, but our pride prevents us from accepting it! The first and best example of this is our need of Jesus' sacrifice. So many of us think we don't need God. We believe that somehow our good works will get us to Heaven, when in reality: "… all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags" (Isa 64:6 NKJV).

But those who have already accepted Jesus' gift of Salvation still often live as if they are the only ones who can accomplish anything. If Jesus needed help, friends, then even more so, we do as well! Jesus accepted Simon's assistance gladly, and He offers us help as well. He offers us freedom from worry, He offers to carry our burdens ("Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matt 11:28-29 NKJV). All we have to do is put our trust in Him!

Sometimes that help comes from other people, and sometimes it comes directly from Jesus. Either way, putting our trust in Jesus is the same as when Jesus accepted Simon's help in carrying the cross!

There is one last important lesson to be learned from this story, and this comes from Simon of Sirene: Are we ready to do whatever we need to do to help others?

True, Simon wasn't exactly given a choice. The Bible doesn't say that Simon was "asked" to carry the cross, it says that the cross was "laid on him". When God calls us to do work for Him, sometimes it seems like we're being asked, but other times, it is just "laid" on us! Are we, like Simon, willing to carry the burden to ease someone else's pain?

Think about it! It wasn't easy to carry the cross of the Man everyone else was mocking! It put Simon in the position of being mocked as well, and carrying 75-125 lbs (30-60kgs) was, in itself, no easy feat! But Simon carried the cross, and he carried it well.

Friends, are we willing to help the God of the universe? He calls each of us to bear Jesus' cross. For some it means giving our last dollar to aid someone with no food. For others, it means giving up our TV programs or our camping trips. For still others it means coming out of our comfort zone, exposing ourselves to potential ridicule and persecution. But Remember: Jesus gave it ALL up for us! Can we turn to God for help? Can we be humble enough to accept that help when it is offered? Can we be willing to help others with the burdens that they carry?

Think about it!

Please join us next Saturday during this Lenten season for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS, Part 7: The Gall and the Wine.

In His love,

Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 08 Apr 2011, 11:15 am

Welcome to the

Nugget

Today's Devotional:

THE TENDER LOVING HEART OF JESUS

“This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:12,13 KJV)

Fanny Crosby who wrote so many beautiful hymns wrote a beautiful hymn that describes the tender loving heart of our precious Saviour. The name of this wonderful hymn is “Tell Me the Story of Jesus”. The words in this song that describe the heart of Jesus are so true. He really loves us.

“Tell of the cross where they nailed Him, Writhing in anguish and pain. Tell of the grave where they laid Him, Tell how He liveth again. Love in that story so tender, Clearer than ever I see. Stay, let me weep while you whisper, Love paid the ransom for me.”

Jesus said “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends”. He not only said it, He proved it when He laid down His life for us. I don’t think any of us realize just how much our precious Saviour loves us. We know that He loves us but do we really understand how much He loves us?

If you ever doubt that Jesus loves you and that He loves you unconditionally, remember the anguish and the pain that He endured for you on that cross of horror. He was beaten beyond recognition for you. He could have come down from that cross but He stayed on the cross because He loves you so much.

Heavenly Father, may all who read this devotion feel the unconditional love that Jesus has for them in their hearts. Please help us to love one another unconditionally just as Jesus loves us. Thank You so much for Jesus. Amen.

Joanne Lowe

November 3, 2010
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:08 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
MEMORIES
I remember well the day I came into the New York airport from a trip overseas. I faced the baggage checkers knowing I had lost the key to my suitcase. Just ahead of me they had allowed some people to pass on through but as I followed them a very stern looking clerk ordered me to get back in line. They were going to search my suitcase. It was a very tense moment.

Such experiences sharpen our wits and keep us from making the same blunders over and over again. Memories take us across the lines of discouragement or grief and remind us of the joyful, pleasant and productive experiences that have shaped our lives. Memories are the glue that holds the past and the present in prospective. One needs the other to appreciate progress and reflect on what was and what might have been. They bring joy and laughter or tears and regret.

Our memories are fixed. We can never really forget anything. All that we have ever read, studied, seen or heard is stored in our memory and kept on hold to be flashed on the screen of remembrance at the appropriate time. It is amazing how we sometimes say, I forgot, only to say, oh yes, I remember it now. If we had no memory our lives would be impossible.

Our God has a memory too. He loves everyone and will never forget those who love him. They are always on his mind. However, there are some things that even God can’t remember. Did you know that Jesus died on the cross so his Father could forget? God could not forgive or forget our sin if it were not for the shed blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because he died, our confessed sins can find no place in God’s memory. 1 John 1:9 says, If we confess...He forgives... Hebrews 8:12 says, "...I will remember their sins no more."

The key to my suitcase has never been found. The key to salvation has never been lost. It is called Faith in the risen Christ. There is relief from the stress of remembering sins that we would like to forget. Put your trust in the Savior and his power to forgive and forget.

Embarrassment was avoided that day at the airport when the baggage inspector believed my declaration. The release of tension never felt so good.

I wonder where that key is.

Christian love,

Carolyn Young
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 03 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

It is Lent, a time of year when we are encouraged to give up something that is precious to us. I would like to challenge you to take Lent a step farther by spending time in meditation, contemplating just how deeply Jesus suffered for each of us! The lessons we can learn will work to reinforce our faith and draw us closer to God! Join us on Saturdays throughout this Lenten season for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS! If you have missed any of these lessons, you will find them published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder10/suffering_of_jesus.htm .

THE SUFFERING OF JESUS: A Lenten Series, Part 5: The Mock King

History records that the Roman soldiers often played a game with their prisoners. They would strip them of their clothing, dress them in one of their red outer robes, twist together a crown of thorns, and place a staff in their hands, for a scepter. Then they would then take turns rolling the dice, and the prisoner "king" would move around a game board etched in the floor. To entertain the crowds, they would hurl verbal and physical abuse at the mock king.

Does this sound familiar?

Consider these verses: "Then the governor's soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. 'Hail, king of the Jews!' They said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again." (Matt 27:26-31 NIV)

Such treatment would be humiliating for any of us, wouldn't it. And we aren't even rightful kings. But Jesus IS the rightful king! Imagine the mental and emotional anguish this activity must have caused our Lord and Savior!

But let's think a little farther. How many times do we find ourselves partaking in a game of "mock King"?

Never?

Are you sure?

How many times do we want Jesus to do our will? We pray and we plead for help, and we get upset, often at Him, when things don't go our own way!

You know what I mean, friends. We think we need to live in a better place, but we don't have the means. We pray and pray, and nothing happens! Why isn't God hearing and answering our prayers?

Or we pray for God to change our spouses. And we pray and pray, to no avail. He or she doesn't change. Can't God see how we are suffering? Can't He see that just a little change in attitude on the part of our spouses would make things so much better?

Or we believe that the answer to all our problems lies in getting INTO a good relationship. We pray and pray to meet the right guy or girl, and nothing happens. Doesn't God want us to be happy?

Or we have our lives all planned, down to a "T". But a loss of a job or the death of a loved one strips all of our plans. Couldn't God have preserved our plans? Couldn't He have preserved our jobs or the lives of our loved one? Doesn't He care?

And what do we tend to do in these situations? We become disillusioned. We begin to doubt the power of prayer. We begin to doubt that God even cares!

But what if we're praying for our OWN will to be done instead of His?

When we do this, we are, in essence, trying to prance Jesus around a game board of our own design, one that will not bring us happiness, but will ultimately lead to our own ruin!

Take a step back, friends! Sometimes He puts us in hard places because He has important lessons in humility, unconditional love, and unconditional trust to teach us! Lessons that we couldn't learn in any other way! Maybe we are living in that bad place to teach us to love unconditional, to teach us to forgive those who have hurt us? What if it isn't our spouses who need to be changed, but rather God is trying to teach us to be tolerant and patient? What if God is trying to show us that it is US who are being selfish? And what if God knows that the good relationship we desire will only work to keep us from depending upon Him? And what if our own plans for our lives will only lead us down the path of destruction?

We are not all wise, friends, but God is! We cannot see all things, but He does! And more than that, He loved us enough to have died for us!

Isn't that enough proof of His ultimate love?

Let's stop trying to prance Jesus around the "game board" that we've constructed for our lives! Let's believe that God truly knows best, and that He really does have our best interest in heart! Let's embrace the truth of James 1:2-4: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (NIV)

Please join us next Saturday during this Lenten season for THE SUFFERING OF CHRIST, Part 6: Carrying the Cross!

In His love,

Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 01 Apr 2011, 2:12 pm

Today's Devotional:
APPRECIATION

"The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, And night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language Where their voice is not heard." (Ps 19:1-2 NKJV)

Spring is continuing to work her wonders in the mountains this year. The skies are full of sunshine with only a few clouds floating on the wisps of the winds. My flower box is full to overflowing with purple phlox. A patch of bluebonnets sits proudly next to my front porch. A million dandelions dot the fields. Thousands of bees and butterflies are doing their best to help them flourish and grow. In the morning the birds sing their own "Ode to Joy" while in the evening a blanket of stars keeps you warm in the cool night air.

It seems too that this year I am appreciating Spring’s beauty more than ever before. I am standing outside a bit longer in the morning to admire the rising sun and am staying out a few more minutes each night to gaze at the smiling moon. I am lying down on the warm grass to smell the flowers and am taking the time to rescue the few, stray moths that fly into my house. I am taking deeper breaths of the fresh, Spring air and am saying some extra "Thank You’s" to God for giving us such a blessed time of the year.

Perhaps this greater appreciation comes from the long and difficult Winter we had this year or perhaps as I am getting older and wiser I am finally beginning to see the glory and majesty that was around me all the time. Either way I am grateful and happy. There is nothing sadder than passing by a treasure everyday and not seeing it.

This world is full of beauty, wonder, and delight. It is full of countless blessings given to us by our loving Father above. All we have to do is open our eyes to see them and open our hearts to feel them. Don’t ignore these glorious gifts from God. Don’t allow yourself to pass them by. Open the door of your soul and welcome them in. Let them warm you, nourish you, and strengthen you. Let them become one with you. Then go out and share their joys with everyone.

By: Joseph J. Mazzella
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 30 Mar 2011, 4:09 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
WE FORGET

“And when they came to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.” (Luke 23:33 KJV)

Jennie Evelyn Hussey wrote the song “Lead Me to Calvary”. “King of my life, I crown Thee now, Thine shall the glory be; Lest I forget Thy thorn crowned brow, Lead me to Calvary. Lest I forget Gethsemane, Lest I forget Thine agony; Lest I forget Thy love for me, Lead me to Calvary.”

I think that sometimes we forget all that our precious Saviour has done for us. O how we need to remember Gethsemane and the agony He suffered for us. Jesus, who had never sinned, had never done anything wrong, took all of our sins on Him and paid the debt we owed, a debt that we could never have paid.

When we feel discouraged and when we are ridiculed and rejected and broken hearted, we need to remember that Jesus was also discouraged, ridiculed and rejected. He too had His heart broken time and time again by the way He was treated. What a Saviour we are privileged to have!

Heavenly Father, we confess that we have sinned at times by forgetting all that Your beloved Son has done for us. We’re sorry we hurt You. Please have mercy on us and forgive us. Help us never to forget all that Jesus has done for us and the excruciating pain and agony He suffered for us. Amen.

Joanne Lowe

December 3, 2010
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 27 Mar 2011, 5:19 pm

THE SUFFERING CHRIST,

A Lenten Series, Part 4:

The Floggings

Let's focus for a moment today on the floggings that Jesus received: "Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified." (Matt 27:26 NIV)

The Israelites had a law about flogging: "If the guilty man deserves to be beaten, the judge shall make him lie down and have him flogged in his presence with the number of lashes his crime deserves, but he must not give him more than forty lashes." (Deut 25:2-3 NIV) Tradition tells us that they usually stopped at 39, in case they miscounted, because more than 40 lashes could potentially bring about death!

The Romans had no such law, however. In fact, the only flogging law recorded in the Bible for the Romans is that it was unlawful to flog a Roman citizen! Therefore, since Jesus wasn't a Roman citizen, and since He was flogged by Romans, there was no "40 lashes" limit!

History also records that the Roman instrument for flogging was a cat-of-nine-tails, a lash made up of several strips of leather, with pieces of bone or iron embedded in one end. As a result, Roman prisoners often died under the lash!

And Jesus was lashed. Repeatedly. Until His skin hung in ribbons from his body.

Oh, the blood!

Why am I spelling this out like this?

Because we are told that if we don't study history, we will repeat it! I would like to submit to you today that Jesus' flogging hasn't stopped! We flog Him daily!

What?

Take a look for yourselves: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him …" (Isa 53:5 KJV)

What this means is that Jesus was flogged for each sin we have committed, continue to commit, and will ever commit! True, it happened in the past, but each time we continue to commit sin, it was an additional lash laid upon Him! And each time we continue to sin, it hurts our Lord and Saviour!

Let's put this in language we can relate to: Anyone who has children knows what it is like to sacrifice. We go without so our kids can have food, clothing, so they can participate in sports or go to parties, and so that can have the best education. But how does it make us feel when we've taken a second job so that child can have a good education, and he or she cuts classes, let's their grades drop, and has to repeat their year?

It hurts, doesn't it?

Or maybe we denied ourselves a new pair of shoes because our child wanted a more stylish pair. We walk around with holes in our soles because we couldn't afford a second pair. How does it make us feel when he or she leaves the shoes outside in the rain? Or forgets them at school and they are stolen?

It makes us mad, doesn't it?

And then there's the party. Our child begs us to take the car so he or she can go. That means we won't have the car for grocery shopping. But we let them go, and instead we try to squeeze the grocery shopping into a different already crowded evening. How does it make us feel if our child gets drunk at that party? Or was slipped drugs and overdosed?

It makes us very, very sad, doesn't it?

Friends, Jesus' sacrifice was far bigger than anything we've ever experienced here on Earth. When we continue to repeat our sins, when we continue to fall into temptation, even when we know it's wrong, it hurts Jesus! It makes Him very, very sad! After all He's done for us, how can we throw dirt upon His ultimate sacrifice by continuing in our known sins and addictions?

I've heard it so many, many times: "I just can't stop _____, but I know it doesn't matter because Jesus forgives me!" And yes, He does continue to forgive. But this attitude hurts Jesus, friends! It is like we are behind that cat-of-nine-tails!

During this Lenten season, I would like to challenge each of you with a question: How much do you love Jesus? If you truly do, then examine your hearts. Ask Him to identify the ways you continue to sin, the ways you continue to hurt Him, and then ask Him to help you to not hurt Him in this way anymore!

If, after searching your heart however, you realize that maybe you don't love Jesus enough to see the need to stop hurting Him, then please spend some time everyday meditating upon Jesus' suffering. Meditate upon the fact that He did it for YOU!

Please join us next week for THE SUFFERINGS OF CHRIST, Part 5: The Mock King.

In His love,

Lyn

Announcements:

The book of Joshua has many powerful lessons for us today. Visit us online for the previously-published series, LESSONS FROM JOSHUA at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder9/lessons_from_joshua.htm .

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

In His love,

Lyn Chaffart submissions@scripturalnuggets.org
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:22 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
What does the Bible have to say about global warming? This is the conclusion of the short series, WEATHER. If you have missed any of this series, previously published parts can be found online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder10/weather.htm

WEATHER, The Conclusion: Parts 10 & 11

Part 10: HEARTFELT

What do we see in the world today? Disbelief, disregard for Christ, all the ‘isms’ of distrust and hatred, and we have terrible drought, flood, earthquake, fire and volcano disasters.

Millions are in desperate need of simple basics; food, water, shelter.

The requirements for having those things remains, - the blood of the sacrifice and the commandments of God. Those laws will be written again on the heart, ‘After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it on their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people,’ Jeremiah 31:33, also Hebrews 8:10 and Romans 2:15.

The Law of God had been voted in by the people of the Kingdom of God, and the vote was never rescinded. It was, and still is, the basis of law, order and justice.

It was written on the heart of Adam and Eve and because those laws were broken, our only way back to harmony with God is through the sacrifice of Christ, the second man ‘made in the image of God.’

Christ died because the law was broken in the Garden of Eden. His death was foreshadowed by the Lord’s slaying of a covering for Adam and Eve so it is rightly said he was ‘slain from the foundation of the world,’ Revelation 13:8. No other law brought the death of the Creator. Christ stood in for us. He died so that we can be restored.

Nothing ‘voted in’ after Christ’s death on the cross is covered because a will and testament cannot be changed after the death of the testator, Galatians 3:5.

Grace and mercy come through the sacrifice as it did in the Garden of Eden, when God slew a sacrifice to make covering.

‘But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matt 6:33)

Today, the present Kingdom of God, accessed through the blood of the sacrifice, was begun by the Children of Israel who were the disciples of Christ. It is now a kingdom that is world-wide, not bound by nations, tribes, peoples or religions. Listen to its description: ’For as many of you who have been baptised into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ,’ (Galatians 3:27,28).

We are individually involved because, as Peter declares in his letter to the scattered followers of Christ, ‘ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light,’ (1st Peter 2:9).

It is a ‘holy nation’ of believers, based on the lawful justice of the Kingdom of God and accessed through Christ who is his righteousness.

Conclusion, Part 11: THE ARSENAL

Let us just revisit some of the weather processes found in the Scriptures so that we can have clear guidance about the actual cause of disastrous weather events. It is important because the real cause is so different from what we are being told.

The first global weather change opened up the arsenal of both heaven and earth when the sacrifice to cover sin was compromised, Genesis 6. Noah confirmed belief in the sacrifice and God promised he would never again send a flood over the entire earth.

Fire and brimstone took out Sodom and Gomorrah, Genesis 19, when whole cities spurned the sacred law of marriage, given before sin and reiterated in the Commandment, ‘Thou shalt not commit adultery,’ Exodus 20:14.

The second global weather event was a drought recorded when the Children of Israel sold their brother and lied to their father about it, Genesis 41:54-57. Even though they lived exemplary lives afterwards, they could not cover their sin through ‘being good.’ When they confessed and repented, they were spared the devastation of the drought.

An earthquake is recorded when one line of the Children of Israel, the sons of Korah, rejected the requirements of the Kingdom of God. (Numbers 16.)

In Israel, the Kingdom of God, through which the sacrifice of Christ for broken law would be made, there were various weather events. Most memorable was the drought in Elijah’s time brought on by compromising genuine sacrifice for a false cultural belief. It was remarkably similar to Noah’s day, (1st Book of Kings.)

These are a few examples showing clearly though we are shown in the Garden of Eden and again in Israel, that we are to properly manage earth’s resources, and are accountable for good management, being good stewards of the earth alone is not enough to hold good weather patterns.

Jesus said in his great outdoor sermon that the first thought of the world is for food, water and covering, Matthew 6: 30-32 and every weather disaster brings it sharply into focus. ‘But, [said Jesus, verse 33,] seek ye first the kingdom of God [law, justice, order as required by those in the kingdom of God], and his righteousness [Jesus Christ, the righteous, 1st John 2:1,] and all these things shall be added unto you.’

The requirements remain. When the sacrifice of the man ‘made in the image of God’ was rejected by the nation, it was taken up by a few of that nation, i.e., Peter, James, John, etc..

Jesus spoke to his disciples about weather patterns that would follow his rejection.

He said his temple would be utterly destroyed, not one stone left upon another, nations would war against each other and there would be ‘famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes.’ Matthew 24:7. Weather patterns would be wild and unpredictable. Food shortages are inevitable.

The world is worried about what to eat and drink and wear and we hear it often today, but never once did Jesus blame pollution or everyday living as the cause of extreme weather upheavals.

Sadly, when his disciples asked Jesus what would be the sign of his coming and of the end of the world, he told them clearly that the world would be as it was in the days of Noah. ‘As the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be,’ Matthew 24:37. He also said ’For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me,’ (John 5:46).

More than two thousand years ago, Jesus warned his people against compromise and connected it with upheavals of nature.

He warned his people in the Sermon on the Mount, and when they determined to reject him, he warned his disciples that they should expect to see extremes of weather.

The kingdom of God is the followers of Jesus, as Peter said writing to the scattered followers, ‘But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light,’ (1st Peter 2:9).

Yes, people are responsible for flood, fire, earthquake, volcano and famine. We cause them through rejection of the law and rejection of the covering provided through the death of our Saviour.

‘Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city,’ (Revelation 22:14). ’Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne; mercy and truth shall go before thy face.’ (Ps 89:14)

We receive with deepest reverence that ‘Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other,’ Psalm 85:10.

It is inscribed with nails on the hands of Jesus. Have you looked at his hands?

Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:42 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
HAPPY SPRING
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law." (Gal 5:22-24 NKJV)

Spring has definitely sprung here in the mountains of my home. As I walked in my yard this morning I heard a hundred different birds greeting the sunrise with a chorus of delight. Later as I sat on my porch swing I saw my first butterfly of the year circling down in the wind until it touched my hand and passed on its loving greeting. Then as I walked with my sons around the local lake this evening we saw dozens of yellow and purple flowers sticking their heads through the ground to soak up the warm sunshine. These were complimented by the red, green, pink, and white of the trees eagerly bursting in growth. A cool and gentle breeze kissed our faces, filled the air with sweet smells, and brought music to our ears as we heard hundreds of frogs singing together in a joyful jubilee.

Spring is such a glorious time. It is a time of rebirth, new beginnings, and fresh starts. It is a time of growth, a time of beauty, and most of all a time of life. Being out there among it helped to stir the life and joy within me as well. It awakened my spirit, warmed my heart, enlightened my mind, energized my body, and uplifted my soul. It made me aware of just how precious each day is and just how priceless each moment of our lives can be. It showed me again that life is for living and for loving not just for existing.

I hope that the spring of this year adds a spring to your own step as well. I hope that the new life bursting forth in nature awakens you to the endless life in your own soul. I hope that all the new growth and new beginnings around you help you to choose new growth in love and new beginnings in joy in your own life. I hope that all this wondrous glory of creation reminds you of the loving hand of God that created it. Have a happy Spring.

By: Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements:

It is Lent, a time of year when we are encouraged to give up something that is precious to us. This is done to help us better appreciate just how much Jesus gave up for us, but during this Lenten season, I would like to challenge you to take Lent a step farther. I challenge you to spend time in meditation, contemplating just how deeply Jesus suffered for each of us! Join us on Saturdays in March and April for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS: A Lenten Series.

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< >

In His love,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:16 am

It is Lent, a time of year when we are encouraged to give up something that is precious to us. I would like to challenge you to take Lent a step farther by spending time in meditation, contemplating just how deeply Jesus suffered for each of us! The lessons we can learn will work to reinforce our faith and draw us closer to God! Join us on Saturdays throughout this Lenten season for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS! If you have missed any of these lessons, you will find them published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder10/suffering_of_jesus.htm

THE SUFFERING OF JESUS,

A Lenten Series, Part 3:

The Mockery

Are you someone who worries about what other people think?

If you're not, then you are fortunate indeed. But if you are, then you know the pain that comes from being falsely accused. You know how much it cuts into the self-esteem when someone turns your own words and actions against you. You can relate to the anger that bubbles up with each taunt. It isn't fair, it isn't right!

And you're right! It isn't fair to be falsely accused. It isn't right to have your words and actions turned against you. It hurts to be taunted and made fun of!

Jesus knows all about this kind of pain. From the moment of His arrest until His last dying gasp, He was falsely accused, mocked, and ridiculed, and His words and actions were turned against Him. Let's look at some examples:

Jesus was falsely accused: "But at last two false witnesses came forward and said, 'This fellow said, "I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it in three days."'" (Matt 26:60 NKJV)

He was also abandoned by His closest friends: "Then all the disciples forsook Him and fled." (Matt 26:56 NKJV)

He was severely mocked: "Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole garrison around Him. And they stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him. When they had twisted a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a reed in His right hand. And they bowed the knee before Him and mocked Him, saying, 'hail, King of the Jews!' Then they spat on Him, and took the reed and struck Him on the head." (Matt 27:27-31 NKJV)

And in the moments of His greatest suffering He was laughed at by everyone, from the chief priests to the scribes and elders of Israel, to the soldiers, to even the thieves on the cross: "And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads and saying, 'You who destroy the temple and build it in three days, save Yourself! If You are the Son of God, come down from the cross.' Likewise the chief priests also, mocking with the scribes and elders, said, 'He saved others; Himself He cannot save. If He is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him. He trusted in God; let Him deliver Him now if He will have Him; for He said, "I am the Son of God."' Even the robbers who were crucified with Him reviled Him with the same thing." (Matt 27:39-44 NKJV)

Would you and I have been able to stand up to this?

I'd like to say that I could, but I know myself. I can get approval from everyone on something I've done, but if there is one in the crowd that isn't happy, I'm upset.

But Jesus was immune to all of this! Not only did He stay strong, He also loved His enemies, asking God to forgive them: "And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. Then Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.'" (Luke 23:33-34 NKJV)

Why?

Because He knew that God approved of what He was doing, and that was all the approval He needed!

Friends, we are no different! Just like Jesus, it is only God's opinion of us that counts. We are accountable to Him, and Him alone, and if we are following His lead, then we do not need to be hurt by the fiery barbs hurled at us by fellow human beings.

I truly believe that one of the most powerful lessons God will ever teach me is to stop looking to others for understanding and fulfillment. The day I learned that the opinion of the world doesn't matter, I was set free:

1. I was set free of the need to have to prove myself: I was transported outside of the world's ability to hurt me, and my self-esteem became strong.

2. I was set free of the need to be the judge: Those who have hurt me are those in desperate need of His grace and my love and support ant prayers. Not of my judgment! After all, God is the judge, and those who hurt me are accountable to Him and Him alone.

3. I was set free to love my enemies unconditionally, to forgive them, and to pray for them.

Friends, when we look to others for emotional support and acceptance, we are, in essence, putting up idols in our lives. We are putting the opinions of humans above God's. Jesus didn't succumb to this temptation on the cross. Instead, as He went through the worst emotional abuse known to man, He remained strong. He looked to God for His acceptance and support, and in the end, not only did He have the fulfillment of having paved the way for the salvation of mankind from a sure and painful death in the fires of hell, but He was also raised again in glory, as King of the universe!

Jesus got the best reward! He got the stamp of God's approval!

Friends, the next time we find ourselves in a situation where people don't agree with us, where we have someone mad at us, or worse, where we are mocked and persecuted, let's remember Jesus' example! Let's look to God for approval! His reward will be eternal!

Please join us next Saturday as we make our way through Lent for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS, Part 4: The Floggings.

In His love,

Lyn

Announcements:

BIBLE STUDY

Great news, our latest Bible Study is finally out. Basking in God's Unfailing Love, An Open Invitation to Experience God Personally To a world gone mad, trying to get to know Jesus may seem foolish. However if you give Him a try, you will desire to get to know Him more and more at the deepest level possible. His relationship with you will be more precious compared to any other human relationships out there. Enjoy getting to know Him.

Come explore it at http://www.answers2prayer.org/studies.html

<><
In His love,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:42 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
What does the Bible have to say about global warming? Join us on Thursdays for WEATHER. If you have missed any of this series, previously published parts can be found online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder10/weather.htm
WEATHER, Part 8 & 9

Part 8: JUSTIFIED TO PROCEED

Jacob’s children, the Children of Israel, destined to be established as the Kingdom of God in this world, were locked down by unbelievers.

For hundreds of years, the Children of Israel sought to influence the Egyptians but finally, they themselves were harshly enslaved by a culture that denied the God of heaven.

The Lord used extreme weather displays and plagues to bring the Egyptians to their senses, water turned to blood, plague after plague, health scares, hail, even dread darkness similar to the darkness that covered Israel when the Saviour was put to death (Luke 23:44).

Finally, the Lord gave death to unrepentant Egyptians, Exodus 11:5, and the families who came out of Egypt did so through the blood of a sacrifice on the doorposts, Exodus 12:23.

They understood that a sacrifice was needed to cover sin and through the blood on the doorpost, they proceeded out into the desert where the Lord asked for their total obedience. ‘All the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do,’ (Exodus 19:8).

God gave them the Ten Commandments, written on stone and ‘he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone,’ (Deuteronomy 5:22).

The sacrifice for sin was already confirmed by the blood on the doorpost. While ever Israel chose obedience and kept faith in the sacrifice to cover sin, God promised that the weather would be stable.

Part 9: THE ONLY NAME

God set up his Kingdom on earth again, this time as a nation. The chosen people of God were responsible for the weather in their land. They were to ‘love the Lord your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, that I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first and latter rain, …’ Deuteronomy chapter 11.

Sadly, the Kingdom of God apostatised many times and it was brought back through devastating weather changes.

Probably the most memorable one is in the time of Elijah when drought threatened for many years because of the apostasy of God’s people in establishing another cultural worship. 1st Kings, 16:32,33, and chapters 17 and 18.

Weather changes were not caused by environmental pollution but by human disobedience and disbelief.

Sin is a fact of life, we have inherited it and cannot mend it ourselves. “I was shapen in iniquity,’ says Psalm 51:5, and Paul reminds us, ‘All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God,’ Romans 3:23. But we can choose obedience and we can choose the sacrifice of Christ, the only name ‘given among men, whereby we must be saved,’ Acts 4:12.

Through the new nation, the new Kingdom of God, and through his chosen people, would come the last Adam (1st Corinthians 15:45,) made in the image of God, 2nd Corinthians 4:4, ‘Christ, who is the image of God …’

When Christ gave the Sermon on the Mount to his Kingdom, he made a statement about weather and outcomes. He said, ‘Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, …what ye shall put on, … But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.’ (Matthew 6:25-33).

What was he saying? He was warning of vast weather disruption if his Kingdom apostatised. People would be worried about what they would eat and what clothing they would have – basic essentials.

‘Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man who built his house upon a rock,’ (Matthew 7:24).

Even in his day, in the short lifetimes of Jesus, his nation, the Kingdom of God, disowned him - the one ‘made in the image of God.’ Even his own disciples ‘forsook him, and fled,’ (Matthew 26:56). But it was the birthpangs of the continuing Kingdom of God which formally came to fruition on the day of Pentecost.

What of those who refuse to accept what Jesus believed about the cause of disastrous weather changes? He has given us hundreds of years of events and warnings and he warned that rejection of him would cause further disasters after his death and resurrection (Matthew 24:3-7).

Christ believed the writings of Moses because he gave them to Moses to write and Christ is that Rock on which we must build. He is ‘that spiritual Rock’ that guided and covered them for forty years in the desert.

’And that Rock was Christ,’ 1st Corinthians 10:4.

Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:49 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
DO NOT REPAY EVIL FOR EVIL

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” (1 Peter 3:8-12)

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:43-48)

Do not repay evil for evil? Do not hate your enemies and those who persecute you?

Why?

Why did Jesus say this?

Why did Peter instruct us of this, and in that same vein, why in the same passage as he is admonishing husbands and wives on how to act to one another? Ever wonder about that? When you have a disagreement with someone, when someone has done you wrong, when even the people who should love you most – your spouse, your child, your parent, your best friend – are being cold and unfeeling towards you, or even openly hostile, why does God tell us DO NOT repay evil for evil?

Is it wrong for us to think thoughts of revenge? It is wrong for us to carry on some internal dialog about how they did us wrong and how they deserve to reap the fruits of their own poison planting? Aren’t we justified in our anger?

The short answer is no.

But why? Does God desire us to be treated unfairly, unkindly, even illegally? Doesn’t He care that we are suffering at the hands of someone else, even if that suffering is not quite as severe as we think it is?

He does, and because He does, He commands us NOT to do evil in return, for evil is sin and sin separates us from God and makes our hearts cold and bitter and hard. Too much for too long will create a heart that cannot feel any love towards God or anyone else, including ourselves.

So be angry but do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on your anger. Do not give Satan a foothold. Ultimately, as we well know but sometimes forget, Satan is our enemy and he IS scheming to knock us down! Turn from evil. Obey God and see His blessings in the land of the living.

Yours in Christ,

Sonya Richards
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:42 am

THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS:

A Lenten Series, Part 2

The Arrest

Last week, in THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS, Part 1, we learned from Jesus' garden experience that we can't always run from problems. We need to strengthen ourselves in prayer, and then meet them head-on!

The focus of today's lesson centers around the suffering Jesus underwent at the time of His arrest: "Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and took Him." (Matt 26:50)

This simple verse briefly summarizes what happened as Jesus was arrested, but it does little to help us understand the suffering that Jesus underwent at this time. In order to fully do so, we must go back a few verses, back to the Garden of Gethsemane.

Remember, Jesus has just undergone hematidrosis, an extreme, stress-induced medical condition that causes a person to actually sweat blood. He is very near the point of death at this time, and only by the touch of God's angel can He continue on.

And as if that isn't enough, He goes to the place where He's left His disciples, only to find them - Asleep! Imagine the sense of total abandonment He must have felt!

Then, while He is still speaking to the disciples, Judas, one of His closest friends appears.

Under different circumstances, Jesus might have been glad to see Judas. But today Judas is surrounded by an angry regiment: "And while He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and elders of the people." (Matt 26:47 NKJV)

Imagine the agony of seeing one of your very best friends approach you with a company of soldiers, all bearing guns, all pointed - at YOU!

Then, to make matters worse, Judas comes up and gives Jesus a kiss of greeting!

But this kiss was far from innocent: "Now His betrayer had given them a sign, saying, 'Whomever I kiss, He is the One; seize Him.'" (Matt 26:48-49 NKJV)

Talk about pouring salt into a wound!

But Jesus doesn't turn away from Judas. He doesn't even rebuke him. Instead He calls him "friend": "Friend, why have you come?" (Matt 26:50b NKJV)

And while all of this was going on, where are Jesus' other disciples?

We know where Peter is! Peter has drawn his sword! Peter is ready to fight for Jesus! "Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear." (John 18:10 NKJV)

Now this might bring comfort, but it isn't THE WAY! "But Jesus answered and said, 'Permit even this.' And He touched his ear and healed him." (Luke 22:51 NKJV). We know that the gesture of good will on Peter's part saddens Jesus, for He turns and rebukes Peter gently: "Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword." (Matt 26:52 NKJV)

And then, as if it isn't hard enough on Jesus, "all the disciples forsook Him and fled." (Matt 27:56b)

The Bible tells us that Peter and another disciple, probably John, later turn back and follow the crowds (See John 18:15), but this doesn't happen immediately. Jesus, already feeling abandoned by His closest friends in the garden when they slept instead of battling with Him in prayer, now is forced to watch as His eleven loyal friends turn and run away!

If only the story would end here. Jesus is taken to Annas' house, then to Caiaphas'. They blindfold Him and strike Him, commanding Him to tell them who had done it (See Luke 22:63-65). They spit on Him (See Mark 14:65). They take His own words out of context to condemn Him (See Mark 14:61), and the list goes on. But as if this public pain and humiliation isn't enough, Peter then betrays Him openly (See Matt 26:69-75, Mark 14:66-72, Luke 22:54-62, and John 18:15-18,25-27)!

The sense of utter abandonment! The utmost rejection! The ultimate desertion!

My thoughts now turn to the Christians in the world-wide persecuted church. Some are turned in by close friends and family. Others watch as their friends and families abandon them in their greatest time of need. Still others are beaten and abused, their homes and churches burned, their Bibles desecrated. These faithful people can take great comfort in the fact that Jesus knows EXACTLY what they are going through!

Persecution of Christians is not yet a worldwide affair, but it may reach that point. Each one of us may someday face something similar, and whether our persecution is today or sometime in the future, we can stand strong knowing that Jesus will NEVER abandon us! He's been there! And if our persecution leads to our death, we will simply be carried from this Earth into the arms of the One who has walked the same road, the One who can dry our tears, the One who can bring comfort to our abandoned, tormented souls, the One who can restore us anew in His Kingdom of Light!

Now we know that Jesus' death was the road He chose to walk that Salvation might be made a free gift for anyone who will accept it. But why did He have to suffer so much prior to His death? I believe it is because Jesus knew we would have to suffer for His name! He willingly walked the road of suffering the night of His arrest that He might be able to fully understand every form of persecution we might have to experience!

Thank You, Jesus! Thank you for choosing the cross for our Salvation, and thank You for choosing the road of suffering! Thank You for understanding every physical, emotion, mental, and spiritual pain that we must endure. And most of all, thank You for always being there, for never abandoning or deserting us, for carrying us through our time of greatest need!

Please join us next week for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS, Part 3: The Mockery!

In His love,

Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 11 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:

What does the Bible have to say about global warming? Join us on Thursdays for WEATHER. If you have missed any of this series, previously published parts can be found online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder10/weather.htm

WEATHER, Parts 6 & 7

Part 6: WARNINGS OF LOVE

The rain falls on the just and the unjust, Matthew 5:45, so why does it flood upon some areas, drought upon another, fire on another, earthquake and volcano on others? What criteria does the Lord use to determine what weather will fall where?

I am not going to second guess the Lord. That would be evil of me but I can look at what he has said in Scripture.

What happened to Nineveh is interesting. God told Jonah to give a warning to Nineveh ‘for their wickedness is come up before me,’ Jonah 1:2.

Jonah was terrified. He ran in the opposite direction and we all know the story of how he boarded a boat to go anywhere but to Nineveh.

A great storm blew up and they drew lots to see who should be cast overboard to stop the storm. Jonah drew the short straw and they questioned him as to why he was the problem. He said, ‘I am a Hebrew; and I fear the Lord,’ and he told them he had fled from the Lord.

They tossed him overboard, the storm stopped and Jonah was saved by God’s plan to keep him alive.

God calls to each of us to come back to him and there are all sorts of warnings thus far. I pray you will heed them.

Eventually, Jonah went to Nineveh, crying out, ‘Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.’

What people did with the message decided what action the Lord would take. The king took the lead, called on his people to repent, to fast, and ‘turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.’

And God noted ‘that they turned from their evil,’ and they were not overthrown.

Yes, the rain does fall on both the just and the unjust, and like a Father, God longs to cover us with his own robe if only we will come back to him and accept it.

Part 7: RAINBOW OF REMEMBRANCE

I opened my Book on a foggy morning and looked towards the far horizon. I could see nothing of my world, everything in it was under the blanket of silent, white fog.

Yet in my mind, far, far away, I could see a family, up in barren mountains, moving out of a huge ship, gathering loose boulders and building an altar.

Their household animals and birds hovered around wondering where their lush, rolling hills and plains had vanished to, shocked at the craggy cliffs about them, the clouds still scudding across the sky and the lack of food.

They were well fed in the ark but they longed for the sweetness of fresh grass, the taste of ripening fruit and the smell of ripening grain. They must eat, but Noah’s commitments were in order.

Firstly, he ‘builded an altar unto the Lord,’ and offered a sacrifice of each of the precious clean beasts and clean fowls.

Under changed conditions, the Lord gave to Noah the same covenant he had made with Adam about inhabiting the earth he now ruled. Then God shared the rainbow with Noah as a promise he would not again flood the entire earth, but to the Creator himself the rainbow meant much more.

Solemnly, he said, ‘I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant, which I established between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth,’ Genesis 9:16.

The everlasting covenant made between Father, Creator and Holy Spirit, says ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion ...everything bring forth after his kind …,’ Genesis 1:26. The covenant has not changed and the rainbow is his guarantee.

Later, our weather history confirms that Noah’s descendants, the sons of Israel, sold their brother into slavery, and lied to their father about it. Again, the Lord spoke through the weather. ‘The famine was over all the face of the earth,’ Genesis 42:56, until eventually the brothers confessed their sin to their father and the relationship with their father and brother could be restored.

How much suffering and how many floods, droughts, fires, earthquakes, volcanoes and famines will it take to bring us back to our Father and the embrace of our Brother?

Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 09 Mar 2011, 4:26 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:

It is Lent, a time of year when we are encouraged to give up something that is precious to us. I would like to challenge you to take Lent a step farther by spending time in meditation, contemplating just how deeply Jesus suffered for each of us! The lessons we can learn will work to reinforce our faith and draw us closer to God! Join us on Saturdays throughout the rest of this Lenten season for THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS! If you have missed any of these lessons, you will find them published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder10/suffering_of_jesus.htm .

THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS:

A Lenten Series, Part 1

Introduction and The Garden of Gethsemane

When was the last time you really contemplated what Jesus suffered at the cross?

If you are like me, I don't particularly like to think too much about it. I mean, He suffered in my place! It isn't a pleasant thought!

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Lent, a time of year when we are encouraged to give up something that is precious to us. This is done to help us better appreciate just how much Jesus gave up for us, but during this particular Lenten season, I would like to challenge you to take Lent a step farther. I challenge you to spent time in meditation, contemplating just how deeply Jesus suffered for each of us!

Why?

Because the lessons we can learn from Jesus' suffering are lessons that will work to reinforce our faith and draw us closer to God!

This will be the theme of the Saturday lessons throughout this Lenten series. Today we begin this series by looking at Jesus' suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane …

THE GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE

We begin our walk down the path of Jesus' suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane. At this point in the story, Jesus hasn't even begun to experience the physical torment of His arrest, His mock trial, the walk to Calvary, or the of the outrageous brutality cross. At this point, Jesus is free, He's in a peaceful place, and He's surrounded by His closest friends. But Jesus knows what is ahead of Him. The Bible records that "…He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed. Then He said to them, 'My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death.'". (Matt 26:37-38 NKJV)

Jesus has known all of His life that the next few hours would happen. He even told His disciples that He would die and raise to life again after three days (See Mark 8:31). But as the hour draws near, the reality of what He must go through weighs heavily upon the shoulders of our Lord and Savior, to the point that the Bible tells us: "His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground." (Luke 22:44 NKJV)

Medical literature demonstrates that the sweating of blood is a physical reality. It is known as "hematidrosis", and though rare, it occurs under conditions of great emotional distress. The tiny blood vessels in the sweat glands rupture, and the blood then mixes with the sweat. Those who experience it are usually near death. [1] The fact that Jesus' sweat was mingled with blood is, in itself, an indication of His great anguish. Is it any wonder that an angel needed to come and strengthen Him (See Luke 22:43)?

There are three important lessons to be learned from Jesus' suffering in the garden. First of all, after surrounding Himself with His closest friends, He went off by Himself to pray: "Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, 'Sit here while I go and pray over there.'" (Matt 26:36-37 NKJV).

We've all experienced moments when we just don't want to be alone. We need emotional support, and we look to our close friends or loved ones to give it to us. We gather a select few and cling to them!

And this is what Jesus did. But it isn't ALL that He did. He left them all and went deeper into the garden to pray: "He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed …" (Matt 26:39 NKJV).

When we are overcome with sorrow or fear or grief, it is okay to gather our support network around us. But we shouldn't lean on them! Instead, we should go to our Heavenly Father in prayer!

Why?

Our friends and family may care about us, but they are human. They may not know how to help. Even Jesus' closest friends fell asleep when Jesus needed them the most: "Then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping" (Matt 26:40 NKJV)

But God is always there!

The second important lesson we can learn comes from Jesus' prayer itself.

I don't know about you, but my prayer in the midst of trials usually goes something like this: "Lord, make it go away!"

You know what I mean! When we are in financial straits, we pray for money. When faced with illness, we pray for healing. When our children misbehave, we pray that they will behave again! Lord, make it go away!

But this wasn't Jesus' prayer. Oh, I doubt He would have minded if God had suddenly come up with another way: "if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me …" But it is the end of His prayer that teaches us the important lesson: "…nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." (Matt 26:39 NKJV)

At the beginning of the worst suffering known to mankind, Jesus basically says, "If it's the way it has to be, I submit to Your will!"

Friends, the next time we are facing trials, let's remember Jesus' prayer at the Garden, and let our prayer also be: "Lord, I'd like it if you'd take the trouble away, but if this is not Your will, then I accept it with grace. You will give me the strength to get through!"

The last, and perhaps most important lesson to be learned from Jesus' Garden experience is just this: Jesus didn't have to be in that garden that night! He knew something was afoot. He could have fled to the wilderness!

But He didn't. Instead He strengthened Himself in the Lord and then went out to meet the men who would arrest Him.

There comes a moment when temptation and problems cannot be avoided, and we shouldn't even try. The best thing to do is to remember Jesus' example in the garden: Strengthen ourselves in prayer, and then meet the trouble head on, ever knowing that God will give us the strength to carry on!

Friends, the next time we are facing trials, let's remember that although it's good to encircle ourselves with our support systems, we must not forget that we should only lean upon God! And instead of trying to pray away our trails or run from them, let's submit to God's will, ever knowing that what He is allowing us to go through is NOT bigger than His ability to help us through. All we have to do is lean on Him! Only then can we face our problems and temptations head on and victorious!

Please join us next week for THE SUFFERING OF JESUS, Part 2: The Arrest.

In His love,

Lyn

[1] http://www.apologeticspress.com/articles/2223

Announcements:

FAITH SERIES Does your faith need a boost? Why not "boost" it with a series of studies on the Faith chapter, Hebrews 11? Go to www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder4/Faith%20--%20A%20Miniseries.htm <><

In His love,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:18 am

The book of Joshua is rich in lessons for our day and age, and this 18 lessons series, appearing in the Nugget on Saturday evenings, will be focusing on practical tips from this book that can help us in our walk with the Lord. If you've missed any of the LESSONS FROM JOSHUA, you will find them published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder9/lessons_from_joshua.htm

LESSONS FROM JOSHUA, Part 18: Conclusion

If you go and Serve Other gods ...

"Every promise has been fulfilled; not one has failed. But just as every good promise of the Lord your God has come true, so the Lord will bring on you all the evil he has threatened, until he has destroyed you from this good land he has given you. If you violate the covenant of the Lord your God, which he commanded you, and go and serve other gods and bow down to them, the Lord's anger will burn against you, and you will quickly perish from the good land he has given you." (Josh 23:14-16 NIV)

Joshua was now 110 years old, and in his own words, "I am old and well advanced in years." (Josh 23:2 NIV). The conquest of Canaan had ended some years earlier, and the people had been enjoying rest in the land the Lord our God promised to them. Now Joshua gives one last address to the people, and in this address, he reminds them of three important facts:

*That God has kept all His promises (Jos 23:14);

*That God will help them drive out the remaining Canaanites (Jos 23:5);

*That they are not to mingle with the remaining Canaanites so that they remain faithful to God.

So what is the lesson for us in this concluding admonition of Joshua?

It is identical to the lesson that Joshua was attempting to drive home for the Israelites!

*God has also kept all of His promises to us, and we do well to remember this fact!

*Just like God promised to help Israel drive out the remaining Canaanites, He is there to help us drive out the impurities in our hearts!

*Just like Israel was admonished to not mingle with the remaining Canaanites, in order that they remain faithful to God, we are told to not play with the evil parts of our sinful nature so that we, too, can remain faithful to God!

Okay, but what does this REALLY mean?

Just this: God has given us victory over sin. This is a gift from Him. But He asks us to not play with sin, and He gives us guidelines so that we can learn how to keep our hearts pure, how to let Him continue to fight our battles. These guidelines can be summed up in two sentences: Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself!

You see, love sums up God's law! Love requires forgiveness. Love requires faithfulness. Love requires respect. When we follow these guidelines, we are doing our part so that God can continue to drive the impurities out of our hearts.

However, if we entertain evil - unforgiveness, hatred, anger - then rather than driving out the flesh in our hearts, we are feeding it. And when we do this, we close the door to God's help.

If we truly want to be free from the things that continue to plague us, if we want freedom from addictions and pet sins, then we must ask God to help us follow His commands! We must ask God to reveal to us where, in our lives, we are not following His suggestions to love unconditionally, to forgive unconditionally, to respect, to be faithful!

I suggest that just as those foreign gods and foreign women were, in the end, what brought Israel into apostasy and led to the downfall of the nation, our tendency to hold on to anger and to not love unconditionally will be our downfall as well! These things will stand in the way of our total freedom!

The apostle Paul tells us: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." (Gal 5:1a NIV)

Have you ever wondered about the wording of this text? I mean, why doesn't it just say that Christ has set us free?

I would like to propose that it is worded this way because we have to claim that freedom. Just like God miraculously overpowered huge numbers of powerful nations during the initial conquest of Canaan, Christ has already SET US FREE! But just like the people needed to do something to maintain their gift of freedom (not intermarry, not turn to the gods of the nations, not associate with the people left in the land), we also have a role to play in order to fully embrace ours. And our role is to love unconditionally, to forgive, to respect, and to be faithful to God and those around us.

Friends, Christ already set us free! Let's not throw away that gift by staying entangled in unforgiveness, anger and hatred! Instead, let's follow Paul's (and Joshua's!) Advice: "Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Gal 5:1b NIV)

Remember: "But if you turn away and ally yourselves with the survivors of these nations that remain among you and if you intermarry with them and associate with them, then you may be sure that the Lord your God will no longer drive out these nations before you. Instead, they will become snares and traps for you, whips on your backs and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from this good land, which the Lord your God has given you." (Josh 23:12-13 NIV)

This is the last LESSON FROM JOSHUA. My prayer is that the truths recorded in this 6th book of the Bible will have helped you grow in your Christian walk as much as it has helped me. If you've missed any of the LESSONS FROM JOSHUA, you will find them published online at: www.scripturalnuggets.org/Folder9/lessons_from_joshua.htm.

In His love,

Lyn

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next