World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 37 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 37 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 10:08 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Go down

Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks Empty Dealing With Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Post  Zerich Mon 16 Feb 2009, 9:41 am

This article was written by a friend of mine who has panic attacks.

"Knowledge is power" and I truly believe that (whether it applies to getting a job or controlling our anxiety). Once we know what anxiety and/or panic attacks can and cannot do, we can use that knowledge to dissipate the effects of anxiety and panic.

For example, I always thought - because I was so fearful each time I had a panic attack - that it was something to be afraid of and I would get off the chair, couch, bed or whatever to flee from it. I would sometimes run outside so that if I passed out, a neighbour would see me and rescue me. Or I would run to the bathroom and wash my face as if I could wash it off quicker. I would be aware of my heart beating fast and that would scare the livin's outta me. I would start hyper-ventilating each and every time I got a panic attack - and they came sometimes by the minute or by the hour and for absolutely no reason at all.

When I was 'convinced' (and confirmed this with my doctor) that panic attacks would NOT harm me, I accepted that knowledge as fact and started to face my panic 'head on'. I would no longer remove myself from a chair or the couch - anywhere where they would occur - I would stop and be conscious of the fear, let it ride out it's course, and within minutes, I would start to settle down. I would consciously try to breathe normally rather than allowing myself to get up and run somewhere - that only created my heart to beat faster and get me to breathe faster. I would 'talk' to it, and tell 'it' that it can no longer have the same effect on me as it did before - I would actually tell it calmly that "I have control now" and would calmly tell 'it' that I'll just stay right here and wait until it leaves. I would remind myself that I've had many, many, many panic attacks before and never once did anything ever happen to me. If it happened in the mall (and I would purposely go out to lessen my fear outside of my home), I would stop where I was, have a talk with myself, and once my heart rate would start to settle down, I would continue on, disregarding the symtoms. (I think that's where I began to talk to myself out loud sometimes - ha ha) My kids always tease me and say "are you talking to yourself again?"

If it was high anxiety I was experiencing - once again, I would do the same. I would talk to 'it' like I was someone else. It was like I was two persons....the person with the anxiety and the person who had the knowledge. One was the comforter and the other the comfortee. It's a bit like the principle of soothing the 'inner child' within us. The panic didn't stop right away as I knew it was a reaction coming from within me....but the more I faced it, the less power it had and the fear came less and less. I very, very rarely have a panic attack now.

Anyways, hope those few tips help!

Zerich

Back to top Go down