World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» WHY DID GOD CREATE EVIL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyToday at 4:36 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyToday at 2:37 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 8 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Tue 21 Sep 2021, 4:58 pm

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. " (1 John 4:7 ESV)

I was sitting at a table eating a chicken salad sandwich.  I wasn’t really hungry but I was supposed to sit a bit and eat something to replenish my strength before heading home.  I had left early to be first in line at a blood drive being held 15 miles away from my home.  I knew that the changes due to Covid-19 would make the donation process even longer than it was before and I was right.  I stood at the door with my face mask on and had my temperature checked even before going in the room.  Once I was admitted it was checked a second time along with my pulse, blood pressure and iron levels.  Then I had to answer a long list of questions making sure I had never been anywhere or done anything so I would be safe to donate.

Thankfully, it all went well and I was soon lying on a table with a needle in my arm and my blood quietly flowing into a pint sized bag.  I chatted and joked with the lady drawing my blood and found out that they had traveled 2 hours compared to the 20 minutes I had driven. They were in for a 16 hour day too.  Still, they had almost 50 people scheduled to donate that day and were happy to do it because each pint of blood could be saving a life.

I took another bite of my sandwich, sipped a bottle of water, and looked down at the paper lying next to my face mask.  On it was a date 56 days from now.  It was the first day I would be able to donate again.  I smiled and thanked God that I didn’t have to wait that long between other acts of kindness because this world needs all the kindness it can get.

With disease, violence, racism, and economic uncertainty plaguing us right now it seems easy to retreat in fear and withdraw into ourselves.  This is the one thing God doesn’t want us to do.  God loves us and wants us to love each other even in the worst times.  God wants us to defeat our fear with faith and thankfulness.  God wants us to remember that every act of kindness counts.

Every pint of blood we donate can save a life.  Every smile we share can uplift a heart. Every kind word we say can brighten a day.  Every prayer we pray can save a soul.  Every act of kindness we do can make this world a better place.  Every bit of love we share can bring us closer to Heaven.  Fill all your days with love then.  Fill all your hours with kindness.  Live your life the way God wants you to live it.

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements
If you enjoy The Nugget, encourage someone to subscribe. We also encourage you to share The Nuggets with others as well, as long as you do so without charging, and as long as you credit Scriptural Nuggets as your source.

Subscribe Other Devotionals Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 18 Sep 2021, 3:36 pm

“Then the Lord told him, “I have certainly seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries of distress because of their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the power of the Egyptians and lead them out of Egypt into their own fertile and spacious land. It is a land flowing with milk and honey—the land where the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites now live. Look! The cry of the people of Israel has reached me, and I have seen how harshly the Egyptians abuse them. Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” (Exodus 3:7-10 NLT)

What an amazing experience it must have been. Moses talking to a bush that was on fire but wasn’t burning up…Moses, whose heart was for his people, hearing God say that He was going to deliver Israel and lead them back to Canaan…

Sure, Moses had some problems with the fact that he was the one to lead Israel out of Egypt – Hey, I would have had problems with that, too! – but overall, it must have been so exciting to realize that his dream would finally be realized!

We don’t know what timeline Moses was believing in, and the Bible doesn’t record that God gave him one. In trying to put myself in his shoes, I can only imagine that I would have expected something immediate. I mean, when God speaks, it happens, right? And as a result, I can only imagine how disappointed Moses must have been when Pharaoh not only said ‘no’, but also increased the workload of the people (see Exodus 5:6-18). Did he stand there and scratch his head? Did he get angry? Especially when the people turned against him as well, “The foremen said to them, ‘May the Lord judge and punish you for making us stink before Pharaoh and his officials. You have put a sword into their hands, an excuse to kill us!’” (Exodus 5:21 NLT)?

We do know that Moses took this back to the Lord, and when he did, he did what I would most certainly have done…He complained! “Why have you brought all this trouble on your own people, Lord? Why did you send me? Ever since I came to Pharaoh as your spokesman, he has been even more brutal to your people. And you have done nothing to rescue them!” (Exodus 5:23 NLT).

God’s response? "Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh. When he feels the force of my strong hand, he will let the people go. In fact, he will force them to leave his land!” (Exodus 6:1 NLT). A precious promise, yes, and in Moses’ shoes, I would have taken great comfort in this. Yet we know from history that the trouble wasn’t yet over. God would go on to bring great plagues to Egypt. We don’t know the time frame on the plagues, but from the references to the different crops and things that were affected, it is believed by some that the plagues could have gone on for up to a year! In fact, that is what the Jewish Mishnah* says! So it was up to a full year before Israel would finally see the realization of the promise, and during that time, things continued to be hard!

No, I’m pretty sure Moses had no idea from the beginning just how involved this deliverance would be. All he had was a promise without a timeline. Yet, perhaps that was by design. Perhaps if Moses had known what would transpire between the time he received the promise and its fulfillment, he would have been discouraged. I would have been! And perhaps God planned to use this waiting time as a perfect opportunity for Moses – and all of the people as well! – to grow their faith! We don’t know. We aren’t told. We can only guess. We only know that there is a time for everything (See Eccl. 3) and that God’s time is always right, for He is omniscient ("’My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,’ says the LORD. ‘And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.’” Isaiah 55:8-9 NLT)

Has God given you a promise? Are you discouraged because you don’t yet see its fulfillment? If so, then remember the story of Moses, and be encouraged! God is faithful. He keeps ALL His promises! He will not fail you! But it may not happen today. There may be a timeline to God’s promises, and He asks us to have faith in Him to know when the time is right, ever trusting that in the waiting time, He is faithful to carry you through!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Cor. 9:8)

Wait a minute: If God promises abundance, then why do I have all this need? Click here to find out!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 19 Aug 2021, 3:37 pm

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”
(Romans 8:28 ESV)

I hoped that being a Christian might save me from living in a marred world. Now I can say, in as far as I have the direction, peace and protection of God: it is true. In as far as, I still see, know and have bad things happen: it is false. This can seem a bit of an insult at times, as when a friend of mine was murdered or a work colleague committed suicide.

Unsuspecting, I soak up the world on my way to glory; I become captivated by its unwanted attentions and temptations and fail. Yet, I am called not to withdraw from life, to pass by on the other side of the road and avert my gaze. I am to be whom God has made me: fragile, fallible and dependent on Him in the mess and muck of life but not sucked in by it.

Jesus incarnate lived, ate and breathed in the midst of the mire of this world (Eg. Jesus eats with sinners -- See Mark 2:15-16). He experienced the full range of emotional pain and suffering including his betrayal by Judas (Eg. last supper -- See Matthew 26:21-31). So failure comes as no surprise to Jesus because He has seen it all before.

However, this is not the whole story because I also succeed. Like Zacchaeus (See Luke 19:6) I rejoice in being accepted as a follower of Christ.

Jesus commissioned his disciples to go into the surrounding countryside and heal the sick, deliver people from evil and most of all to proclaim the coming Kingdom of God. How excited they were about the events they had experienced. On their return, Jesus reminded them of a more important issue:

“...rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” (Luke 10:20 ESV)

Without our names written in the Book of Life, all the rest counts for nothing both then and now!

PRAYER:
LORD, before we go out into the world once more today, grant us Your focus on what is important to You and Your vision for us to see how we can bring Your Kingdom’s Light to bear in our hearts and where we are. Amen.

Rod Marshall

Announcements
Would you like to make a difference in the world?  Why not join the Answers2Prayer Ministry team?  We have many volunteer positions.  By joining in, you can help in carrying out the Great Commission: "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in Heaven and on Earth have been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" (Matt. 28:18-20 NIV)

The time is right and we are in need of many laborers.  "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matt 9:37-38 NIV)

If you feel compelled, let us know by sending us an email. answertoprayers@gmail.cc
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 17 Aug 2021, 9:54 pm

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night." (Psalm 1:1-2 KJV)

When I was much younger in the faith, studying the Bible was a huge challenge for me. I would pick up my Bible, try to read through a chapter and memorize a verse, yet nothing would sink into my head or penetrate my spirit. Before long, I would fall asleep on my reading table. I must confess that it baffled me tremendously why I couldn't just grasp these words of the Bible the way that I did with science and social science subjects. Glory to God, years later, the Lord gave me the answer to that spiritual struggle through this verse:

"Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved." (Luke 8:12 KJV)

Friend, whatever steals the Word of God from us remains our greatest enemy, and whenever we hear the Word of God or pick it up to study, the devil is furious. He comes with different distractions that will make us lose grip of the Word.

The reason that he does that is succinctly expressed in the verse following our opening Scripture: "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper." (Psalm 1:3 KJV)

Who?

The one who meditates on God's Word day and night.

As believers, we can be blessed in our walk with God only if we constantly study and meditate on His Word. It's not optional — it's a must. The Word must dwell in us richly and work into our very being — that's exactly how we profit in Him.

Paul is fully armed with this secret of success when he tells Timothy, "Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all." (1 Timothy 4:15 KJV)

Beloved, God has given us something that is of inestimable benefit and value: His Word. If we could spend time with it day and night, we wouldn't be in some of the messes that we find ourselves.

From today, begin to set out time for God's Word in your daily schedule. Refuse to let the devil stop you from profiting in God by wasting your Bible study time with frivolities.

Cast away every obstruction against your Bible study; give your phone a break for the Bible; speak the Word; and sleep and wake up with it every day. Remain blessed, and pray with me:

Prayer: O Lord, help me to study Your Word today. As I begin to study, help me to profit mightily, and may my profiting begin to appear to all. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Owen Osa
Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria

Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 14 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm

I lost a good friend today.

Funny how I can say he was a good friend, when I had never met him in person. But his gentle kindness transcended the 5000 km that lay between us, infiltrating the email room with love and acceptance.

I'll admit, I've shed more than a few tears. Talking to his sister on the phone was heartbreaking. But the thoughts that whisked through my head were the worst.

My natural tendency was to ignore these thoughts. To shelve the grief and keep busy, to go on as if it had never happened. That's how I have traditionally dealt with grief in my lifetime. I have learned, however, that this only causes the grief to fester and reappear in a myriad of other problems. No, as painful as it would be, I would have to deal with the thoughts. I would have to allow myself to grieve…And so I sat down for some "Abba" time...

First were the questions: Did I do enough for him? Did I show him a clear picture of Jesus?

I spent some time asking God those questions. His response? "Did you ask Me to help you every time you wrote to him? Did you do everything for Him that I told you to do?"

The answer to those two questions is thus: I tried to never write to him without asking God's help, and to the best of my ability, I did everything God put on my heart to do, I had done as much as I could given the distance that lie between us. No, there is no reason whatsoever to feel guilty about what I had done for him...

Next I was badgered about his eternal destination. Did I truly know his heart? I hadn't heard much from him in the last days of his life due to complications with his illness. Just where did he stand with the Lord?

But wait. Hadn't he accepted God? Through this ministry even? Hadn't he been diligently seeking the Lord over the years since this time? Doesn't God love us so much that He’ll never stop trying to save us? Couldn't I trust God with his final destination?

With that, I had peace, and I knew he was in heaven.

That thought brought a measure of comfort. He was finally healed of the physical ailments that had plagued him over the past decade.

But the sadness remained. Was it sadness for the suffering he had endured over the years? Then suddenly I realized what was continuing to spur my grief: He had suffered so much over the past few years, and his life was riddled with regret and lost opportunities. Lord, why had he not been able to find the happiness in this life that he sought?

God's response was to remind me that his suffering was now over, that he finally had the illness-free body he had longed for. And isn't it true that true happiness is not of this world anyway? We think we need ____ and ____ to be happy, but as the Bible tells us, "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?" (Matt. 16:26 ESV). Is this why the world's wisest man tells us, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man's all." (Eccl. 12:13 NKJV)

I know that I will continue to miss my friend's near-daily emails. I will miss his reflections on life, his challenging questions, his delight in the little beauties of life, like his cat. I will miss his heart-felt example of being God's hands to the needy on earth. I will miss it all. But in all, I rejoice that he is in Heaven, free of pain, with our loving Heavenly Father.

And especially, I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who not only took time from His work to help me through this process, but who longs to do just that! Is there someone in your life who has recently left this earth? Remember, God longs to talk to you about it, to give you comfort and peace, to bring you to a place of healing. He longs to fulfill the promise of Psalms 30:11: "You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy..." (NLT)

In His Love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Are you dealing with grief? Why not check out our "Dealing With Grief" miniseries? Just click here.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 12 Aug 2021, 10:09 pm

We all like to feel secure.

For some of us, our security comes from the number of followers we have on Twitter or likes on Facebook—or whether we’ve received a treasure-trove of hearts for a picture we posted on Instagram. Maybe your safe future comes from the size of your bank account or the type of car you drive; your job or the relationships you have.

Are there things in this life that result in joy and happiness? Absolutely. Do we place our hopes and dreams on money, people, our net worth or a promotion? Without question. Whatever it is that brings you a sense of well-being, I challenge you to consider an alternative. Why? Because, everything tangible this side of heaven is temporary.

As human beings, we crave success, and we want the world to accept us. But, if global markets collapse and your financial portfolio plummets, or if you lose your followers on all the world’s stages, who’s got your back? Did you know that by placing your life, your heart, your social media status—your entire being into the hands of Jesus Christ, that he will personally guarantee you absolute heaven-ordained security?

This verse from the bible proves it...

“And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19 NLT)

I know how easy it is to place one’s faith in worldly things, in people and in the material pursuits that tempt us. When I get distracted, I tend to forget the true source of peace that my heart so desperately craves. So, what do we do? What must I do?

Jesus is the answer! His love for us is eternal, his promises secure, his free gift of eternal life written in stone. When the Son of God saves us by grace through faith, our shelter can be rock solid, our foundation anchored in bedrock. Don’t believe me?

“We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.” (Hebrews 12:2 NLT)

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. There is nothing more important on planet earth than asking him to take over your life, your heart and your soul. Call upon the name of the Lord and invite him to cleanse every nook and cranny of your life. HE WILL SAVE YOU!

Then sit back and bask in the peace and safekeeping of a loving Father who will become the greatest follower and friend you will ever have! He will never stop pursuing you and his love is eternal.

Now that’s the type of divine security I want to sink my teeth into!

Paul Smyth

Announcements
Please submit your prayer requests here, and let us come along side you in prayer!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 10 Aug 2021, 10:51 pm

We live in perilous times. At the time this is written, the future is uncertain. The police can’t be trusted. We can’t trust the integrity of our political leaders. The economy is crashing. The pandemic continues to ravage the planet…

The more I think about these things, the more anxious I become. I can get myself pretty worked up thinking about the future and all that could very well transpire given the way things are going, and I suspect I am not the only one. So many of you out there are already struggling financially. So many Christians are already being persecuted. So many of God’s beautiful children with dark skin are suffering discrimination and worse…

Sure, we are told to, “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” (Phil 4:6 ESV); but given everything that is currently going on in the world right now…And I can only imagine how much worse things might already be by the time you are reading this devotional… How are we supposed to not be anxious?

Let’s remember, however, that when Jesus said, “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble” (Matthew 6:34 ESV), He wasn’t speaking to good times when everything seems to be going well in the world. Didn’t He say, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 ESV)? No, rather, He was very much speaking to times such as these!

But just how do we not worry in the midst of what’s going on right now?

Jesus isn’t about to tell us to do something without being willing to equip us to do it. He does, however, require just a bit of cooperation on our part. In the same passage where He tells us to not worry about tomorrow, He also outlines our responsibility: “Therefore, do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” (Matthew 6:31-33 ESV).

Thus, there is only one way to follow the command to “not worry”: We have to surrender the future to God, ever trusting that He has it under control – and He truly does! But how do we surrender the future to God?

Just a few verses earlier in Matthew 6, Jesus gives further instruction as to our responsibility: “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.” (Matthew 6:19 ESV). We are also instructed to focus on thoughts on God and on the blessings that He gives us: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Philippians 4:8 ESV).

The way to surrender the future to God, friends, is to focus our sights on Jesus!

Remember: there is nothing our worrying will ever be able to do to change even the tiniest bit of history. All it does it bring about our own anxiety and depression, and as such, rendering us ineffective in the Kingdom of God. And isn’t this exactly where the devil wants us to be? Mighty warriors behind a picket fence of anxiety? Powerful intercessors stuck in the traffic jam of depression and worry? Yes, it is understandable that we become anxious in such perilous times; yet when we do, we are stripped of any weapons we might have to work towards a better, brighter future.

Are you feeling anxious? I urge you to focus on the good. Focus on Jesus, and surrender the future, along with whatever it is you are anxious about, into God’s very capable hands; then be prepared to take up the weapons God gives us (See Eph. 6:10-18), and “Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.” (1 Timothy 6:12 ESV)!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Did you know there are hundreds of lessons to be learned through nature?  To learn how pets have been able to teach their masters about God, click here! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 07 Aug 2021, 9:07 pm

August 7

Today’s Reading: Psalms 72; Romans 9:1-15

Today’s Thoughts: Jesus Has Been Waiting For You

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. - Revelation 3:20

I recently received an email from someone who I love very much. She was hurting and questioning the reason for all the pain. The following is a letter I wrote back to her. Today, you may be in the same place or know someone who is struggling with the same issues. We pray that these words minister to your heart.

Jesus has been waiting for you your whole life. He knows exactly where you are and how you feel. He knows what it is to suffer and hurt. Hebrews 4:15 says that we have a great High Priest who understands our sufferings and pain because He, Himself, endured so much more. Our only hope is Jesus. He is the only one who can heal you. And He will heal you, that is why He died. He had to die or we would all be lost. His Holy Spirit is now moving on your heart, which is why you are asking these questions. Your questions are really directed towards Him. All He wants from you is your heart, nothing more. All you have to do is let Him in—you will have no peace until you do. The Bible has your answers but you will not understand what the Bible says until you have been saved by the very blood that was shed when Jesus died. "He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities—and by His stripes we are healed" (Isaiah 53:5). 

He loves you and He wants you to be His child. You are precious in His sight. The Lord will give you answers but you must go through His Son, Jesus. John 14:6 says, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." Many people refuse to accept this truth but it is the truth. Jesus is the only way. I am going to give you the prayer to ask Him into your heart. Pray this prayer:

Dear Lord, I thank You for Jesus, whom You sent to the cross to die for me. I know, Lord, that I am a sinner. Please forgive me of my sins. Please cleanse me of them all and make me new today. Jesus, I ask You to come into my heart and save me. Please heal me and make me whole. Please fill me with Your Holy Spirit that I may understand Your Word and live a new life in You. Thank You for saving me. Thank You for loving me. Help me to live for You. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Our mission is to evangelize the lost and awaken the saved to live empowered lives by the Work of God and His Holy Spirit. Daily Disciples Ministries makes a difference for the kingdom of God by teaching and training believers how to be in God's Word, how to pray and how to walk with Jesus every day, as His daily disciple.
Daily Disciples Ministries, Inc. 

“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.” (Matthew 28:19-20a NLT)

It was Jesus’ last command to us, also known as the “Great Commission”. We aren’t to keep our good news to ourselves, we are to share it!

And why not? If we’ve received any other type of good news, don’t we share it immediately, without even giving a second thought?

Yet so many of us are hesitant to share the gospel…

I don’t know about you, but I have many reasons why sharing the gospel isn’t my first “go-to”.

The first is “lack” of opportunity. Because people don’t come up to me asking to know about the gospel, I figure there isn’t any opportunity to share…

How wrong this mind-set is! Those who need the gospel often don’t even realize it is Jesus they need. Any why should they come to me? I hope my life portrays a good reflection of Jesus, but I’m human! I have my moments when my actions are less than Jesus-like…

When I think about it honestly, I realize that I interact with lost people on a daily basis. No, there is no true lack of opportunity. There is, rather, a lack of motivation…

Wait. Lack of motivation? But I pray on a daily basis that God will open the doors for sharing the gospel! Doesn’t that indicate motivation?

But as I dig deeper into this issue, I realize there is far more involved here. I realize that my hesitancy is also rooted in priorities. I have my own agenda to follow… Why do I need to follow God’s?

How absurd that must sound to you. And it sounds doubly absurd to me as I put it down on paper! Isn’t God’s agenda the one that will bring the most peace of mind and happiness? Isn’t it when I follow God’s lead that I am blessed?

Another of my “reasons” is that I am afraid I might misrepresent God, that I might say or do the wrong things, and, as I reason my way out of these situations, I conclude that it is better to keep quiet than to lead someone away from God…

Okay, that must also sound absurd to you, because it sounds VERY absurd to me! Doesn’t the Bible tells us not to worry about what we will say? “…don’t worry about how to respond or what to say. God will give you the right words at the right time.” (Matthew 10:19b NLT)…

Okay, now all my "reasons" have been dealt with...What then is the true reason I hesitate?

If I am to be perfectly honest, the answer is that I am afraid of what people with think of me, that they will write me off as some "Jesus freak". I am afraid my friendship with them be cut off, thus closing the door forever on being able to minister to them.

Suddenly, the real root of my hesitancy to follow the Great Commission comes into light: Fear of rejection! I am too worried about what other people might think of me! Yikes! Rather than loving people enough to want them to find the Lord, I am more worried about preserving my self-image!

I was down at Dufferin Islands the other day. This small group of islands off the Niagara River, just upstream from the mighty Niagara Falls, is a favorite for Canada geese, and as my husband and I ate a simple lunch on one of the many benches at the water’s edge, my attention was drawn to these birds…

Though considered pests by many, I enjoy watching Canada geese. I find their particular mix of black, white and brown striking. I noticed, however, that most of these geese weren’t exactly showing their better side. Rather, the majority of them had their heads down in the water grazing on the shallow river bottom. They looked pretty funny with only their back ends pointing directly up to the sky!

It was one of those God-moments for sure. I was suddenly overwhelmed by the fact that those geese didn’t care how funny they looked. Rather, their primary goal of feeding on the river bottom was their only concern. And rightly so! If they worried too much about their appearance, they would go hungry!

The laughter died on my lips then, and instead of mocking them I found myself admiring them -- admiring their lack of worry about how they looked to others, admiring their focus on the one thing that was really important in their lives…

If only we, as Christians, could take some lessons from that gaggle of Canada geese… If only we would put our emphasis on receiving spiritual food by focusing on Jesus, the One true priority. If we did, then we would stop caring what people think. Instead, we would become willing tools in the hands of the Master, and there would be no hesitancy whatsoever in our hearts to fulfill the great commission.

Dear Lord, help me to stop worrying about what people will think. Help me to put my focus on You and Your desires so that I can be an effective witness to everyone You put in my path! Lord, help me to be like -- Canada geese!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Need prayer? Send us an email!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 05 Aug 2021, 3:09 pm

The Undercover Spy Operation that Helped Foil a Nazi Plot in 1930s L.A.
Oct 21, 2017
by Professor Steven J. Rossprint article
The Undercover Spy Operation that Helped Foil a Nazi Plot in 1930s L.A.
A network of citizen-spies took the Nazi plots to exterminate Jews seriously.

On July 26, 1933, a group of Nazis held their first public rally in Los Angeles. As Jewish groups in the city debated how they should respond to Adolf Hitler’s persecution of Jews in Europe, L.A.’s Nazis, many of them German emigres, gathered at a biergarten downtown, wearing brown shirts and red, white and black armbands with swastikas.

The Nazis belonged to a growing movement of white supremacists in L.A. that included many American brothers in hate: the Ku Klux Klan, a group of Hitler supporters known as the Silver Shirts, and a dozen like-minded organizations with vaguely patriotic names such as the American Nationalist Party, the Christian American Guard, and the National Protective Order of Gentiles.

Hindenburg Park gained notoriety in the late 1930s when the Bund, a political group styling itself after the Nazis, staged several rallies there. (Historical Society of Crescenta)

Some weeks ago, white supremacists in Charlottesville, Va., chanted “Jews will not replace us.” Their predecessors were even less subtle: They called for “death to Jews.”

Unwilling to wait and see if any of them would act on their threats, Leon Lewis, a Jewish lawyer and World War I veteran who had helped found the Anti-Defamation League, decided to investigate the anti-Semitic hate groups. In August 1933, mere weeks after the rally, Lewis recruited four fellow World War I veterans, plus their wives, to go undercover and join every Nazi and fascist group in the city.

Leon Lewis understood that hate knows no national boundaries.
Lewis’ recruits did not know there would be another world war. And they certainly did not know a Holocaust would occur in Europe.

But once they had infiltrated the groups, they understood that they had to take the Nazi threat seriously. They repeatedly heard fellow Americans talk candidly about wanting to overthrow the government and kill every Jewish man, woman and child.

Lewis’ operatives were all Christian, save for one Jew. They regarded their mission as an American one. Their intention was to gather sufficient evidence of illegal activities by the groups, then turn it over to the appropriate government agencies, after which Lewis planned to return to practicing law. What Lewis did not anticipate is that local authorities would prove indifferent to – or supportive of – the Nazis and fascists.

Herman Schwinn, West Coast leader of the German American Bund, 1934-1941

Within weeks of going undercover, Lewis’ network of spies discovered a plot to wrest control of armories in San Francisco, L.A. and San Diego – part of a larger plan to take over local governments and carry out a mass execution of Jews. Lewis immediately informed L.A. Police Chief James Edgar “Two-Gun” Davis of the Nazi scheme to seize weapons and, as Lewis warned in a memo later, to “foster a fascist form of government in the United States.”

Lewis was shocked when Davis interrupted him to defend Hitler. The police chief, he noted in the memo, told him: “Germans could not compete economically with the Jews in Germany and had been forced to take the action they did.” The greatest danger the city faced, Davis insisted, was not from Nazis but from communists living in the heavily Jewish neighborhood of Boyle Heights. As far as Davis was concerned, every communist was a Jew and every Jew a communist.

Lewis got a similar response from the Sheriff’s Department and local FBI agents, many of whom were sympathetic to the Nazis and fascists. He decided he had to continue the operation, and his spies agreed.

From the summer of 1933 until 1945, while many Americans closed their eyes to the hate growing around them, Lewis’ spies and informants, who numbered close to two dozen at the height of operations, risked their lives to stop Hitler’s minions and alert citizens to the danger these groups posed.

German American Bund meeting, 1935

They uncovered a series of Nazi plots. There was a plan to murder 24 Hollywood actors and power figures, including Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor, Louis B. Mayer, Samuel Goldwyn, Charlie Chaplin and James Cagney. There was a plan to drive through Boyle Heights and machine-gun as many Jewish residents as possible. There were plans for fumigating the homes of Jewish families with cyanide, and for blowing up military installations and seizing munitions from National Guard armories on the day Nazis intended to launch their American putsch.

These plans for murder and sabotage failed because Lewis’ operatives penetrated the inner circles of the hate groups and foiled them. Charles Slocombe, Lewis’ ace spy, thwarted two of the most deadly plots to kill Hollywood figures, one of them by turning Nazis and fascists against one another and raising fears that they might be arrested for murder due to leaks inside the German American Bund and Silver Shirts. Slocombe stopped a second mass murder plot by convincing three of the plotters that the mastermind behind the plan, the British fascist Leopold McLaglan, was about to betray them.

Knowing their inner circles had been infiltrated, but not by whom, and unwilling to risk prison, the groups postponed their plans. Permanently.

Without ever firing a gun, Lewis and his spies managed to defeat a variety of enemies. Only after Congress declared war on Germany did government authorities finally relieve Lewis – “the most dangerous Jew in Los Angeles,” as Nazis called him – of the burden of tracking down these dangerous elements. Nevertheless, he and his operatives continued to monitor the groups throughout the war years.

Leon Lewis understood that hate knows no national boundaries. Foreign-born Nazis and American-born Silver Shirts and Klansmen gladly joined together in targeting Jews and communists. And few Americans, either inside or outside the government, tried to stop them in those early years.

He and his network of spies understood the importance of vigilance. They refused to allow their city and country to be threatened by hate. With their actions they show us that when a democratic government fails to stop extremists bent on violence, citizens must protect one another, no matter their race or religion.

This article originally appeared in the LA Times.

Steven J. Ross is a professor of history at USC and the author of “Hitler in Los Angeles: How Jews Foiled Nazi Plots Against Hollywood and America.”

"God incarnate is the end of fear; and the heart that realizes that He is in the midst . . . will be quiet in the midst of alarm."  (F. B. Meyer 1847–1929)

In these frightening times when our well-ordered life is beset by trouble, what are we to do?  The Lord's simple instruction is to "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10 NKJ).  But at such times does our thought process immediately recall that well-known verse of scripture?  Perhaps not.

Psalm 46 is the one on which Martin Luther based his famous hymn 'A mighty fortress is our God.'   It might have been written following Sennacherib's attack on Jerusalem (2 Chronicles 32) or some natural disaster.  The Psalm has particular relevance in the light of current issues as we react to news of thousands of people  who have died as a result of the Corona Virus.  It is not always easy to reflect on spiritual rather than earthly things.

To be still and to cease our concerns does not mean that we just wait for God to act, it means trusting that the Lord is in control, no matter what calamity may befall us or the world.  These calamities that cause such  death and suffering can have potential for good as people and nations rally.  Yet I doubt that a day will go by when there is not a media report on some situation that has occurred because of human carelessness or because someone has foolishly violated God's or society's laws.  Evil is prevalent in our fallen world, but God is able to turn every circumstance around for our long-range good. Note that God is not working to make us happy, rather to fulfill his purpose, but having said that be encouraged by John 10:10.  Note also that this promise is not for everybody. It can be claimed only by those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

Although Paul's circumstances of tragedy were very different, being imprisoned would cause many people to become bitter or to give up. Paul saw it as one more opportunity to spread the Good News of Christ. Paul realized that his current circumstances, as bad as they were, were not as important as what he did with them. Turning a bad situation into a good one, he reached out to the Roman soldiers who made up the palace guard and encouraged those Christians who were afraid of persecution. We may not be in prison, but we still have plenty of opportunities to be discouraged by cataclysmic events such as the world is experiencing. Man has always been beset by fear and worry.  To people of all time Jesus said, "Take therefore no thought for tomorrow..but seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33,34 KJV).  At times such as these we are filled with a thousand anxieties.  Bring them to Jesus Christ by faith.  He will bring peace to your soul and your mind.

"I sought the Lord, and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4)

Have a good week, Pastor Ron

Optional Bible reading: Psalm 46; John 10:10

This is one of a series of weekly messages of encouragement, now in its twenty-fifth year, originating from Gympie, Fraser Coast, Queensland, Australia. A companion Bible study page is available each week. To subscribe via email send to w4w2@bigpond.com with the words 'Subscribe Word (or) Subscribe Word & Study'. Our ministry is free and emailing lists are confidential. Tell a friend or why not put a note in your church newsletter or pew sheet about this ministry - we welcome new subscriptions.

Pastor Ron Clarke OAM

Word for the Week Mbl.: +61 488 424 321

Announcements
Struggling with fear? Why no check out some of the other devotionals about overcoming fear? Click here.https://scripturalnuggets.org/category/fear/

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 03 Aug 2021, 2:53 pm

Every family has those members who are remembered for having outstanding personalities.  I had an uncle who was just such a character:  witty, jovial, talented, and totally unique.  Although he passed away some years ago, after a long, well-lived life, we still laugh with fond memories of him.  If I had to name a characteristic of my own personality, I would pick "curious".  I am curious about this big, beautiful world we live in, the people I meet every day, and the treasures hidden in Scripture waiting for me to discover them.

There are some big personalities in Scripture, and one of them was King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon.  A man a large ego, he revelled in his own authority and intelligence: "As he looked out across the city, he said, 'Look at this great city of Babylon!  By my own mighty power, I have built this beautiful city as my royal residence to display my majestic splendour'.  While these words were still in his mouth, a voice called down from heaven, 'O King Nebuchadnezzar, this message is for you!  You are no longer ruler of this kingdom.'" (Daniel 4:30-31 ESV).  For a period of seven seasons, the king was driven from society, demented and dirty, until he looked up to heaven, in praise and worship of God.  As he did so, his sanity was returned to him, as was his rulership.  Why was his sanity taken, and not conquest, famine, or insurrection?  Possibly, rationality was what Nebuchadnezzar valued the most, and as he abused that ability in self-glorification, it was taken until he acknowledged God.

Curiosity can be used to honour God, as I explore, seek to understand, write and teach others about God’s Word, or it can be abused in gossip, self-interest, or looking too much at unwholesome things.  I can share my curiosity to help others, or use it to put others down.  If I don't praise and honour God with what He was gifted me with, He may take what is most valuable away from me, to teach me a hard lesson, as He did with the king of Babylon.  So, I strive to do what the apostle Paul counsels in Philippians 3:13: "…but I focus on this one thing.  Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." (ESV)

Prayer:  Thank you, dear Lord, for the gifts and personalities which You have given us, and pray that each day we may use those blessings to bless others,  showing  grace for the sake of the rich grace You have shown us.  Amen.

Shirley Moulton

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 31 Jul 2021, 7:25 pm

My husband and I are completely new to the gardening business. We are enjoying our first attempt at the hobby, however, and each day finds one or both of us out there searching for weeds along the rows of radishes and zucchini, potatoes and tomatoes, peppers and beets.

Some of the weeds are very obvious. They grow between the rows, and we've been doing a pretty good job of keeping those cleaned out.

Some of the weeds, however, are growing in the same place as the plants, and it is often difficult to differentiate the young plants from the weeds. The last thing we want to do is to pull up a precious plant…

As the weeds and plants grow together, it soon becomes obvious which ones are weeds and which are the plants growing from the seeds we planted. Even then, however, we have to be very careful, for in uprooting a weed that is too close to a plant, it is also very easy to uproot the plant…

Yesterday, as I inspected the flourishing plants for flowers, I began to notice something else… Sometimes the weeds actually -- hide! It is only when you move the plant leaves aside that they are exposed!

Smart weeds?

For sure!

But where did those weeds come from? I mean, it is a new garden in a raised bed, the dirt is all fresh dirt from the nursery. How come we have so many weeds in the first place?

The answer is simple: The “good” dirt from the nursery more than likely was harboring weed seeds. And the special care we are giving the garden beds not only stimulates the good seed to grow, but the weeds as well…

This all reminds me of our battle against sin.

Just like my dirt from the nursery was laden with weed seeds, we are born with a sinful nature. This means that we will all sin: "For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard." (Romans 3:23 NLT See also 1 John 1:8,10).

Just like the weeds must be dealt with or they will overrun my garden and choke out the vegetable plants, sin must also be done away with in our lives. If we don't fight it, it will grow bigger and flourish, and eventually, it will bock out our ability to communicate with God: "It’s your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore." (Isaiah 59:2 NLT); and "If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened." (Ps. 66:18 NLT).

The problem is, many of those sins are so familiar to us that we often don't even realize they are there. They "hide", wrecking their havoc from their secret places, and we may never even realize what is the root of our problems!

Take depression, for example. It is a big "weed". I know it's there, and I try to keep it at "pulled". The problem is, it is usually rooted in something else. There is nothing that will throw me into depression as quickly as being out of control, being angry, or even disappointment. If I don't want depression to flourish in my life, I have to seek these roots that it feeds on. I have to be aware of moments when I'm out of control and relinquish all control to God. I have to be aware of disappointment, and give these disappointments back to God, ever believing that He knows best. I have to identify anger the moment it sprouts and forgive. When I do, the depression has nothing to grow on!

Why can't I just uproot anger once and for all? Or control? Or even disappointment? Because all of these things are often hidden under the umbrella of "normal". I don't realize they are a problem. After all, don't I have a right to be upset when someone hurts me? Isn't it human to be disappointed when things don't go the way I anticipate?

Nonetheless, just like those weeds that are hiding under the leaves of the vegetables in my garden must be pulled out, all of those sins -- the hidden ones as well as the blatant ones -- must be done away with in order for us to shine for Jesus Christ, in order for us to optimize our relationship with Him, in order for us to be able to profit from the many blessings that God has for each of His children.

There is good news, however. Our sin was all taken care of at the cross. The first step to "weeding" our lives is to confess Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour and accept His gift of Salvation. If you have never done that, I urge you to answer the Saviour's Call today. You can do so in one of three ways: 1. You can view our Salvation video; 2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages; 3. Or you can email us, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

The second step is to seek out the sin and confess it: "But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness." (1 John 1:9 NLT).

Finally, we need to seek God's help in freeing us from that sin. Remember, "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:13 NASB). On our own, we can't overcome temptation. Sheer will power alone is not enough. We must seek God's strength to overcome. This means we must:

a. Humble ourselves before Him: "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, ... being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." (Philippians 2:5-8 NKJV);

b. We must hate our sin as much as He does: "...who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered." (Hebrews 5:7-8 NKJV); and

c. We must seek His will above our own: "… not My will, but Yours, be done." (Luke 22:42 NKJV).

No matter where we stand with the Lord, it is always a good idea to do a "weed hunt" from time to time. Ask God's Spirit to reveal to you the hidden sins that separate Him from you: "The Spirit will come and show the people of this world the truth about sin and God's justice and the judgment. The Spirit will show them that they are wrong about sin, because they didn't have faith in me." (John 16:8-9 CEV). Don't delay! Do it today.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
What lessons do the letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation have to teach us?  Check out the mini-series: Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 29 Jul 2021, 5:22 pm

CHOSE YOUR WORDS
"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." (Proverbs 17:28 KJV)

Whenever I pray, for the times when I remember, I always say, "Lord, help me to bridle my tongue today," because words are powerful and are incapable of being retracted after they are said.

I also discovered that presidents and other leaders of nations rule with full awareness of this great principle of the power of well-chosen words. Hence, when they want to address their countrymen, as they prepare speeches ahead of time, they jot down ideas, go through draft after draft before they eventually pass their written speeches to a committee of advisors, who would then, with their wealth of knowledge, proofread and make better the written speech, because they know that whatever is said cannot be retracted afterwards.

But as believers full of the Spirit, countless times, we let go of our guard when talking. Some of us talk without ceasing and without listening.

Beloved, in our opening text above, God is telling us that when a fool keeps quiet, he is deemed wise in the eyes of everyone because he doesn't utter foolish things that would have made loud his foolishness. When one keeps quiet, he is respected and seen as one with understanding. Why? Because he listens.

In my high school days, I had so much respect for the quiet students who came last in my class. I also found out that my teachers loved them, too, at least if not for anything else but for their silence in class.

As believers, we must endeavour to talk less to people and talk more to God, because when we talk more to people, we reveal our greatest secrets to our enemy and give away our power, for "Death and life are in the power of the tongue." (Proverbs 18:21a KJV)

Apart from that, Christ also warns us about idle words. "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." (Matthew 12:36 KJV)

When a word is idle, it is baseless and senseless, and it lacks restraint and responsibility.

Friend, the God we serve is the Most High God, and he knows all things. He instructs us, "Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." (James 1:19b) Therefore, let us endeavour to hold our peace always, no matter the temptation to speak. And when we do speak, "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." (Colossians 4:6 KJV)

It isn't a great thing to be called garrulous and talkative.

May we receive grace today to be men and women of few words, in Jesus' name. Pray with me:
Prayer: O God, help me to bridle my tongue today. Give me the grace to be silent as much as You want today so that I can hear You clearly when You speak. Furthermore, help me to listen more when people talk and to talk less when I do talk. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.
Owen Osa
Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission

Announcements
Looking for devotionals on a host of different topics? Check out the new Scriptural Nuggets website! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 24 Jul 2021, 9:35 pm

In January, 1861, a 12-year-old Mexican boy named Felix Ward was abducted from his adopted father’s ranch in Southern Arizona. His father, John Ward, reported the incident at Fort Buchanan, and Lt. Bascom and his men were sent to search the trail. Because the local band of eastern Chiracahua Apaches, led by their chief, Cochise, were the only Indians known to travel in the direction the trail led, the finger of blame was pointed to Cochise and his band; and when the army arrived at Apache Junction in Southeastern Arizona, Cochise was called in for questioning. He and his people were held captive, but Cochise managed to escape with hostages from Bascom’s regiment of men. The Apaches who remained in the custody of Lt. Bascom were later killed, as were Cochise’s hostages, and an 11-year conflict between Cochise and the American army was born.

The problem was, the Chiracahua Apaches actually weren’t responsible for the abduction of Felix Ward. It would later be learned that it was actually the Pinal Band of the Western Apaches who took the boy…

Before we go blaming the American army and the eastern Chiracahua Apaches for starting a war that didn’t need to have been fought, let’s all take a look at our own lives. We’ve all done something similar, and most of us do so on a semi-regular basis: Whenever something goes wrong, our natural tendency is to point the finger of blame. This is, in fact, so entrenched in our human nature that we see it even as far back as Eden. God asked: “’Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?’ The man replied, ‘It was the woman you gave me who gave me the fruit, and I ate it.’ Then the Lord God asked the woman, ‘What have you done?’ ‘The serpent deceived me,’ she replied. ‘That’s why I ate it.’” (Genesis 3:11-13 NLT).

The problem is, do we truly know who is to blame?

Remember that the American army had very good reason to believe that Cochise and his people took the boy. This didn’t change the facts, however. Cochise was actually very innocent of this particular crime. Our own accusations are also usually based on what we see as very pointed evidence. But do we see all? Do we truly know the reasons behind what happens? Or are we, perhaps, led astray by our logical conclusions?

The Bible warns us against judging others: “Do not judge…” (Matt. 7:1a NLT). It even tells us that there are serious consequences for judging others: “For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Matt. 7:2 NLT). I don’t know about you, but I’ve often wondered about this. Why does God judge us so harshly for looking for blame where blame is due?

It is because God knows the potential consequences of our judging. He knows that we do not see the whole picture, and that in our limited view, the wrong person is often blamed. He also knows that this blame-game can result in horrific consequences, such as an 11-year war between the army and Cochise.

Perhaps even worse, don’t we do this all the time with God Himself? We strike out against Him because, we reason, He could have stopped the trouble but didn’t. All the while, the real enemy, the one who truly deserves the blame, the devil himself, continues his rampages of death and destruction. The truth of the matter is, there in only One who sees all, our all-wise Heavenly Father. He is the only One who has complete knowledge, therefore He is truly the only One who can judge fairly.

The next time trouble arises and you are tempted to point the finger of blame, remember Felix Ward’s abduction and the war it caused. Don’t blame one another. Don’t blame God. Instead, put your energies into fighting the one who is truly the cause of it all: “Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8 NLT).

In His love,

Lyn 

Announcements
The blood of Jesus: It is amazing in its healing and protective qualities. Have you been covered with Jesus' blood? If not, why not do so today? You can do so in one of three ways:
1. You can view our Salvation video;
2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Don't wait! Do it today!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 22 Jul 2021, 8:17 pm

Beginning, Middle and End
July 22, 2021

(The Nugget apologizes for yesterday's mailing. There was apparently a server error just as this was beginning to send, and you all got a blank email with the "Unsubscribe Automatically" link, rather than the devotional. Please see yesterday's devotional below! Again, please accept our sincere apologies!)

"This is the message you have heard from the beginning: We should love one another." (1 John 3:11 NLT)

It was a late Winter’s day.  I was 25 years old and at the one place I never wanted to be.  I was sitting in a hospital by my dying Mom’s bedside.  For 4 long years she had bravely battled the cancer that slowly weakened and destroyed her body.  She never gave up hope.  She never stopped trying.  And she never stopped loving.  Through that time I felt myself grow closer to her than at anytime in my childhood.  I prayed for more time but it was clear now that I wasn’t going to get any.  I leaned over, took her hand in mine, and talked to her while we waited for the rest of the family to arrive.  I could feel her life slipping away and part of my heart was dying with her.  Even though she was in horrible pain she held on until the rest of the family arrived so we could all say our goodbyes.  As she took her last breaths my eyes filled with tears, my heart filled with pain, and I didn’t know how I could go on without her.

After her death my own health broke.  I developed double pneumonia after her funeral.  It took a long time for my body to recover and even longer for my heart to start to heal.  I think a part of me is still grieving and healing even today.  One thing that kept me going was my children and knowing a new child was on his way.

It was nine months later and I was in the hospital again.  My wife had just had a C-section and I was looking down at our new baby boy.  The nurses had said it was a shame he hadn’t been born a girl because his eyelashes were so long and his face so beautiful.  While my wife rested I held him in my arms and gently rocked him.  I stroked his little hand with my finger and felt a wave of joy wash over me when he grabbed it and held on tight.  Part of me was sorry that he would never get to know his grandma, but I vowed that he would feel her love through me.  I vowed to shower him with kind words, countless hugs, and all the love that my Mom had given me.

Lacordaire wrote: "Love is the beginning, the middle, and the end of every-thing."  We should seize every second then to give it, receive it, and share it with everyone we can.  We should shower our families, friends, and communities with our love.  We should use it to help God build a better world for us all.  We should carry it in our souls as we walk through this life and into the next.  That is what my Mom did and that is what I am striving to do as well.

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements
Interested in strengthening your love for one another? Check out these devotionals on love by clicking here!  

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 17 Jul 2021, 2:57 pm

As a child, I loved watching the black and white old movies, especially of the Marx Brothers.  Their funny hats and hair and antics were endlessly fascinating, as were their comic banter and impossible tangles they got themselves in and out of. The wit of Groucho Marx wasn’t only entertaining, but a piercing stab at the snobby class values of his day.  One of his famous quips was, "I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation.  I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

Keeping others out wasn’t unknown in Jesus' day either, as He was known as a friend of sinners.  The scribes and Pharisees thought it was scandalous, and often criticized Him for this.  Being a right wing and respected religious group, they separated themselves from anything they considered to be sinful, and also considered anyone else but themselves to be separated from God's love.  Jesus' reply to this implied snobbery and exclusion was simple but profound.  "And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that He was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to His disciples, 'Why does He eat with tax collectors and sinners?'  And when Jesus heard it, He said to them, 'Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.  I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.'" (Mark 2:16-17 ESV)

Eating and sharing a meal with others is a sign both of friendship and an intentional relationship.  Jesus really connected with people, making room for them, giving them value, and loving the children of God.  As a "doctor of our souls", He came to attend those who are sick with sin.  What a perfect doctor!  His office is always open, His diagnosis is right the first time, the cure is complete, and Jesus even pays the medical bills!

Our Jesus is the perfect model of what it means to connect with all people, not just the ones in our "club", but the ones who don't qualify or don't have anyone to let them in.  He knew what it means to really be with others, giving them His full attention, and showing love and acceptance.  As we meet the people of this world who need His love and care, may we look to our beloved Doctor of Souls as our guide and friend, and introduce Him to others.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
Finding yourself in need of access to the "Doctor" of your soul? Why not give yourself to Him today? You can do so in one of three ways:

2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Don't wait! Do it today!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 15 Jul 2021, 9:01 pm

I have written before about God's heart; but I don't think any of us will ever truly comprehend it. I believe it is simply too ... everything! ... for us to even fathom the depths and the heights and the widths and the breadths of His unfailing love.

So after opening this devotional with the words that I don't think we will ever truly comprehend God's heart, why am I writing this it at all?

It is because I believe God revealed a tiny bit of His heart to me yesterday. After a walk when we got caught up in a sudden thunderstorm, just as I was trying to dry off a bit, I suddenly started to cry. And it wasn't just a bit of teary eyes and a sniffle or two. It was uncontrollable, heart-felt, gut-wrenching sobs that lasted for what seemed like hours.

It actually wasn't hours. Maybe one hour total, probably a bit less. But it was enough to thoroughly and completely upset me. Especially since I didn't know where it was coming from. Yes, my husband had told me something during our walk that had saddened me, but not to this end. And so I sat down on the couch, and between sobs, I blubbered out, "What's wrong with me, God?"

The answer was that quick, gentle impression that often marks the presence of God's Spirit: God was revealing to me a tiny glimpse of His heart.

Wow. If that "tiny" glimpse nearly overwhelmed me, how could He possibly be able to go on with His acute and painful sadness and grief?

I just assumed this grief He showed me was about the condition of the world, the condition of people's hearts, etc., and I'm sure that God cares equally as much about such things. But it wasn't until this morning that He permitted me to know what was the source of this profound grief. You see, thought it has been going on for a few days, it was only yesterday that I was made aware of the extensive fighting, looting, plundering and robberies that is going on in South Africa. And as I was praying for South Africa this morning, God placed yesterday's experience with profound grief in my mind, and I realized that what He had specifically shown me was His heart for South Africa.

That doesn't mean He doesn't have a heart for every other hurting country/city/family/child. Remember, I was only granted a "tiny glimpse" of His heart! I am sure that His heart is breaking for all the other hurt as well. But God was specifically giving me a message about South Africa, and He used this as a means of stirring up my somewhat cold heart so that I would actually start caring about His hurting children in South Africa!

After that rather long introduction, let's take a few moments to try to wrap our minds around the fact that we can actually know God's heart.

First of all, the Bible teaches this: “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” (Psalm 46:10 NIV) Thus, we see that we can know God's heart. Our job is to, "Be still..."! If you are longing to hear God's voice, try going off by yourself and just meditating on this verse. It won't be long before God begins to reveal Himself to you!

Secondly, we are told how to know God's voice. To be still, as in the previous verse, yes, but how does God reveal His heart to us? "So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.” (1 Corinthians 2:10-12 NIV) Thus, it is God's Spirit that reveals God to us, so that we might freely understand what God has given us! If you are longing to understand more about God, try going off by yourself and asking for God's Spirit to reveal God anew to you!

Remember, "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God." (Romans 8:26-27 NIV)

No, the intense grief I felt wasn't pleasant; but I have to tell you that after the fact, the joy that God would reveal a tiny bit of His heart to me was equally as intense. And, perhaps most importantly, the burden that this experience placed on my heart for the people of South Africa was more than worth any sense of unpleasantness.

We should all seek to know God's heart. Hebrews 11:6 tells us this: "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." (ESV). It is by seeking His heart in faith that we are rewarded by God. This doesn't necessarily mean we will receive material rewards, although Matthew 6:33 tells us that when we seek God first, all of our needs will be met ("But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." ESV). Rather, it means that we will feel that joy that comes from drawing a tiny bit closer to God, that peace and well-being and sense of love that comes from knowing that He is entrusting a tiny bit of Himself to you. To say nothing of the rewards of knowing that you took part in the intervention of God in a specific situation!

I urge each of you to seek the Lord. Ask for His Spirit to reveal parts of Himself to you. Respond to where His heart leads, and then be prepared to experience the joy that can only come from our learning a tiny bit more about our best friend!

Oh, and I urge each one of you to join us in our call for global prayer for South Africa and their current situation. Check out this link for a guide to how to pray!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Please join us in our call for global prayer for South Africa and their current situation. Check out this link for a guide to how to pray!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 13 Jul 2021, 9:30 pm

"Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you brother have refreshed the hearts of saints." (Philemon 7 NIV)

A number of years ago my brother moved onto my property with me. 

When we were children, being two years older, he taught me how to tie my shoes and helped me learn my alphabet, and ride a two wheeler bike.  Now that we are adults, I have being busy learning even more from him such as greenhouse gardening and the framing of buildings.  He has also been a huge help with fencing and staining and general fixing.  It is good to have a brother whom I can count on.

But it is even better that each and every single person, worldwide can have a brother, the ultimate brother on whom they can count.  And that one is Jesus Christ.

"For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." (Romans 8:29 NIV)

"Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are the same family.  So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers."  (Hebrews 2:10, 11 NIV)

"Jesus Christ who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross!"  (Philippians 2:6-8 NIV)

Jesus is the ultimate brother.  He is the One who has loved us so much that He laid down his life willingly that our sins have been forgiven, if only we will open our hearts and minds and lives to him.  He is the One who forgives, strengthens, encourages, holds accountable, teaches, grants wisdom and life eternal through the power of His Holy Spirit to all who humble themselves and call upon His name in trust and faith.  He is the One who is always with us and for us.

For as Paul penned to the Romans:  "If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" (8:31b-32 NIV)

Is Jesus your brother today?  If so praise God for all that He has taught and blessed you with through His presence with and for you.  If not, perhaps this is a good day to take that step and invite Him into your life to be your ultimate brother now and throughout eternity.

Prayer:  Father God thank-you so much for Jesus.  May we embrace Him as our brother, Lord, Saviour and King knowing that He is always with and for us through You.  And if You are for us, indeed, who can stand against us.  In Christ's name we pray.  Amen.

Lynne Phipps

Announcements
The blood of Jesus: It is amazing in its healing and protective qualities. Have you been covered with Jesus' blood? If not, why not do so today? You can do so in one of three ways:

Don't wait! Do it today!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 06 Jul 2021, 3:51 pm

We are moving all of the Sermon Illustrator files to a new, mobile-friendly format, and this has required hours of tediously copying old files, pasting them into the new format, and then reading them through in order to put them in appropriate categories. I am happy to report, however, that in undertaking this arduous task, I have been incredibly blessed. It isn't every day that I get to read hundreds of stories of faith, hundreds of answered prayers, hundreds of illustrations of perseverance, of God's love for us, of God's presence, of His never-ending strength, protection and provision. In the end, I will have to say that my own faith has been significantly strengthened!

Why would this be?

To answer this, let's take a look at what the Bible says about the power of testimony: "It has come at last--salvation and power and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters has been thrown down to earth--the one who accuses them before our God day and night. And they have defeated him by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony." (Revelation 12:10-11 NLT)! Thus, testimony is powerful enough is responsible for the defeat of the "accuser of our brothers and sisters"! In addition, speaking forth our testimony reinforces--to us and to others--what God can do; for what He has done in the past, what He has done for others, He will surely do again.

This series has been specifically looking at different examples of faith in Hebrews 11, and I pray your faith has been strengthened through this study. And if it has, this is because the power of testimony -- the testimony of the biblical great men -- is working to strengthen your faith. In addition to these wonderful, faith-rich people, we also have literally thousands of other examples of faith in the Bible. These stories can serve to remind us of the almighty, all-powerful, all-loving God in Heaven. They can reinforce to us the truth of Hebrews 13:8: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." (NLT). After all, what He's done in the past, He can certainly do again, for His love for us has never changed. The Faith Chapter, Hebrews 11, ends with these verses: "All these people earned a good reputation because of their faith, yet none of them received all that God had promised. For God had something better in mind for us, so that they would not reach perfection without us." (Hebrews 11:39-40 NLT). Let's remember, however, that when this letter to the Hebrews was written, we didn't have scripture divided up into chapters and verses. That wasn't done until the 16th century. So when you read on to the next two verses after Hebrews 11:39-40, here is what you will find: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith..." (Hebrews 12:1a NLT). In other words, these examples of faith are there to testify to us about a life lived in faith! They are there to give us steadfast, unwavering faith in God!

Besides these Biblical testimonies, we also have our personal stories of what God has done for us in the past. We should not take answered prayers lightly! We should write them down, pull them out and reread them during times when our faith is being tested, for Jesus Christ is the same! His love for us doesn't change. What He did in the past, He will do again!

And finally, there is significant power in the testimony of another. Recently my husband testified in front of our church about his recent promise of healing from Alzheimer's. The result? Someone in the audience was healed on the spot! And reading through the hundreds of testimonies on the files I have been transferring has been a real faith-booster for me as well. The God who healed that woman from cancer, the God who protected that boy from being run over, the God who provided food for an empty table...He is the same One I pray to, the same One who loves me so tenderly! If He did it for them, He can do it for me!

Does your faith need a boost?

If you are perfectly honest with yourself, the answer will have to be "yes", for even those who are the strongest in faith have weak moments. None of us are immune to the demons of doubt. Therefore, this message is for every one of us. Let's not wait until we are confronted with trials, illness, negative circumstances and suffering. Rather, let's be proactive. Let's immerse ourselves in testimonies -- The testimonies of Scripture, the testimonies of one another, and the testimonies of what God has done in our own lives -- so that when those problems do arise, our shield of faith is firmly in place!

One other thing. Remember how my faith has been boosted reading through the many answered prayers on the Answers2Prayer websites? God can also use the record of your individual answered prayers to bless others. Why not submit your answered prayers to this ministry? Who knows? Maybe your story will help someone else who is struggling with similar issues!

This is the conclusion to the "A New Perspective on Faith" mini-series. I can only pray that your faith has taken a boost as a result of this new look at faith!

In His love,
Lyn

This is the final part of the "A New Perspective on Faith" mini-series. If you have missed any of the previous parts, you can view the series online by clicking here. Alternitively, you are welcome to email me, and I will be happy to forward them to you. God bless you as you continue to grow in your faith!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 03 Jul 2021, 11:20 pm

There it was. That little black line on the map leading to a remote hot spring in Grenada. And where there's a black line on the map, there must be a road.

When the entrance to the road was where it was indicated on the map, we took courage. We pointed the nose of our car in the right direction and started to drive. As is so often the case in Grenada, however, the paved road soon dwindled to a good-sized, and good quality, dirt road. From there it narrowed, and it wasn't long before we were dodging potholes big enough to swallow our tiny rental car. Soon the road was so narrow that we couldn't dodge potholes anymore. Besides, long grass clogged the way, and we were often on nothing more than a narrow shelf in a cliff. At one point, I was sure that if the road didn't improve, it wouldn't be safe to travel it any further, and we got out and walked a bit. To our delight, the road improved slightly around the next bend, and we again started out, creeping our way, hugging the cliff, praying we wouldn't meet anyone coming from the other direction.

Another time, we had heard tell of a beautiful trail in the mountains of Montana. We set out, and as is often the case in Montana, the pavement ended, and then the dirt road narrowed and became full of pot holes, steep and slippery climbs and sharp curves. At one point, we encountered someone coming down the road. Naturally there was no place for them to pass without one of us going over the cliff, and I had to back down a good section of that road to a place where the other car could safely pass.

Another time, while seeking a reportedly beautiful beach in Grenada, the road dwindled down to a foot path and we had to abandon the car and continue on foot.

I could go on, but I believe you get the picture. We are obviously gluttons for punishment! And you're right! Each time, however, we kept our sights on the reward at the end of the road. We found that hot spring. It was quaint and beautiful. We found that beautiful trail. It offered fantastic views. We found the beautiful beach, lined by white sand amidst palm and almond trees, located in a picturesque cove of calm, crystal clear water.

These examples all remind me of a few verses in Hebrews 11. Up until this point, Hebrews 11 has been showcasing people who took stands in faith and found their reward; but in the second half of verse 35, just after hearing how some women, because of their faith, received their loved ones back from the dead, we see a drastic turn of events: "But others were tortured, refusing to turn from God in order to be set free... Some were jeered at, and their backs were cut open with whips. Others were chained in prisons. Some died by stoning, some were sawed in half, and others were killed with the sword. Some went about wearing skins of sheep and goats, destitute and oppressed and mistreated. They were too good for this world, wandering over deserts and mountains, hiding in caves and holes in the ground." (Hebrews 11:35b-38 NLT)

Wait. I thought that taking steps out in faith always resulted in good things, didn't you? But I don't see much good in this! No, I'm ashamed to admit I am not drawn to being tortured, jeered at, chained up in prison, stoned, sawed in half or being killed with the sword. I usually steer clear of situations where my back will be cut open with whips or where I am otherwise oppressed and mistreated! And I'm afraid I like my cushy little house rather than hiding in caves and holes in the ground!

So what it is that made these heroes of faith go on?

The answer to this question is summed up in the last part of verse 35: "They placed their hope in a better life after the resurrection"!

Wow.

You see, just like I kept my sights on the beautiful things I would see at the end of those terrible roads, these people kept their sights on Heaven.

Now comes the real question: Do I have the kind of faith it would take to have to go through all of that, knowing that my reward might not even be on this world? Suddenly my perseverance to find those beautiful places seems pretty trite!

But perhaps herein lies the key: My prize was a beautiful place to visit on this Earth. Their prize wasn't even in this world at all: They were looking towards "a better life after resurrection"! (Heb. 11:35c NLT)

That is what faith looks like, friends. That's the kind of faith that earns a place in the book of Hebrews: Faith in God that no matter what, there is a better life after resurrection!

Is that enough for me? Would I risk being sawed in half for that?

If the answer to that question is "no", then perhaps I need to spend some serious time examining my reason for being a Christian. I need to re-evaluate my priorities in life, I need to examine where my treasure lies! If it lies in things of this earth that will rot and decay (see Matt. 6:19), then I can never be included in a list of those who have faith. But if my treasure lies in Kingdom things, then the answer is clear: Yes, I would risk my life for the sake of my Lord!

So what is the secret to having this kind of faith?

Knowing His Word, claiming His promises, keeping our eyes fixed on Him, and perhaps most importantly, laying up the right kind of treasure…Treasure in Heaven!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
This is the last part to "A New Perspective on Faith" mini-series. If you have missed any of the previous parts, you can access them by clicking here. Alternatively, you can feel free to email me and I will be happy to send them to you. 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 01 Jul 2021, 11:46 pm

We aren't told much about Enoch in the Bible. In fact, the sum of our knowledge comes from a few verses.

First of all, we know his parentage: "When Jared was 162 years old, he became the father of Enoch...When Enoch was 65 years old, he became the father of Methuselah..." (Gen. 5:18,19 NLT).

We know that he had a close relationship with God: "Enoch lived 365 years, walking in close fellowship with God..." (Genesis 5:23-24a NLT).

We know that he was taken to Heaven without dying: "Then one day he disappeared, because God took him." (Gen. 5:24 NLT).

We see him listed in two different genealogies, one of which being that of our Lord and Savior (See 1 Chronicles 1:3; Luke 3:37), and we see reference to him in the book of Jude: "Enoch, who lived in the seventh generation after Adam, prophesied about these people. He said, 'Listen! The Lord is coming with countless thousands of his holy ones to execute judgment on the people of the world. He will convict every person of all the ungodly things they have done and for all the insults that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.'" (Jude 14-15 NLT). From this brief passage, we see that Enoch was a prophet, and that he foresaw things that would happen in our day and age. 

Non-biblical historical records tells us that he wrote a book, the book of Enoch. This is not considered part of the Old Testament cannon, likely because the ancient Jewish people rejected its inclusion in the books of the prophets; but this is likely the book that was referenced in Jude's letter.

And finally, one last reference to our friend, Enoch: "It was by faith that Enoch was taken up to heaven without dying --'he disappeared, because God took him.' For before he was taken up, he was known as a person who pleased God." (Heb. 11:5 NLT).

Thus we have a prophet, a 7th generation descendant of Adam, a man in our Lord’s genealogy, a man who wrote a book, a man who had less than half the lifespan of everyone else in his day and age, the father to history's oldest man, and perhaps most importantly, a man of faith.

And not just an ordinary man of faith, for there were many men of faith in the Bible; yet he and Elijah are the only ones transported to Heaven without seeing death. What was there that was so special about the faith of Enoch, and what can we learn about it that will help us in our walk of faith?

I believe the answers to these questions are actually clearly accentuated in the primary fact we know about Enoch: "Enoch lived 365 years, walking in close fellowship with God..." (Genesis 5:23-24a NLT).

In this one simple passage of scripture, we see all that we need to know in order to build the kind of faith that would place us with the fathers of faith, the kind of faith that would land us in Hebrews 11: Walking in close fellowship with God!

It is interesting that Enoch is mentioned among the pillars of Faith in Hebrews 11. I believe this is because God wants us to know that faith--the faith that will move mountains, the faith that saves, the faith that ushers in the miracles of our almighty God, the faith that pleases God (see Heb. 5:6)--all stems from… Relationship! A close fellowship with God!

But wait. Do I really want the kind of faith that will end my life prematurely on Earth? After all, Enoch did only have less than half the lifespan of others in his day. Think about it, however. God took him, without seeing death, to Heaven to be with Him all the time! He would be spared the pain of seeing the inhabitants of the earth deteriorate to what they were in Noah’s day. He would be spared the pain of seeing most of his own offspring turn away from the Lord. He would be spared the pain of illness and suffering. Instead, he would simply be with the Lord, his best friend, for eternity.

Thus, this one man, mentioned only a few times in scripture, reveals to us the key in growing in our faith: Having a personal, lasting, continual relationship with God!

Feeling like you are lacking in the "faith" department? Would you like to grow some mountain-moving, God-pleasing faith? Then look no farther than Enoch! Get in the habit of spending time with God. Not just once a week, not even just once a day, but all the time! Aren’t we told to "...never stop praying..." (1 Thess. 5:17b NLT)?

The Truth is that the more we spend time with God, the more we are transformed into His likeness, the more we come to love Him, the more we see Him at work, and the more we come to trust Him.

If you find yourself desiring this kind of a relationship with God, but you don’t know how to achieve it, please let us know. Perhaps we can guide you to some suggestions!

In His love,
Lyn 

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
Hounded by problems? Have troubles become your "norm?" Do you find it hard to hold on to faith in the midst of dire need? God know! Check out Victory in Trouble, a 4-part mini-series by Lyn Chaffart, designed to help you be victorious through your troubled times.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 19 Jun 2021, 9:10 pm

With the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere just days away, my thoughts turn to how truly blessed we are to have sunshine.

Sure, we don't get as much of it as we'd like to in December, but here in Canada we sure make up for it in June!

As I think about this, I remember how endless those long nights of December can be. Isn't it a blessing that God planted Christmas just in the midst of those long, dark days? A season where we appreciate the extra darkness in order to be able to enjoy the lights of the season. I remember the one memorable Christmas we spent in New Zealand. Oh, we had the long days, all right! But I remember saying to my husband that I truly missed the Christmas lights!

Last week, in Summer Solstice, Part 1, we compared the long summer days and the long winter nights to the circumstances we go through in life. We talked about how seeking God's comfort and help, how praising Him in the midst of the storms, will help those dark days to go by more quickly. As I think about God's blessings in planting something as colourful as Christmas in the middle of the darkest Canadian season, I am also impressed that God plants bright spots in the midst of our darkest circumstances as well!

Last week I used my journey through the valley of cancer as an example, and in keeping with this, I have often marveled at God's multiple blessings to me through that time. Never a day went by when He didn't send me encouragement. He put competent and caring medical professionals in my path, He took care of all my time problems, He comforted my family, He listened to me blubber and complain and was always there with a spiritual "tissue" and some gentle but well-timed lessons for me. I have said it so many times: God has never been so near and so personal as He was during what was the darkest valley of my life. In essence, God planted "Christmas lights" in the midst of my dark valley. And why should I be surprised at this? Doesn't the Bible tell us, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them…" (Rom. 8:28 NLT)?

As I continue to think about those short days in December, it occurs to me that though it isn't pleasant (or good for the health!) to have so little natural light, God makes up for this by sending us the long summer days. Though those weeks leading up to the winter solstice seem endless, they are really quite short when you compare them to the rest of the year. There are, after all, over 12 hours of daylight in our area for most of the year! I remember when we wintered in the Caribbean. Every day boasted 12 hours of daylight, give or take a half an hour, and this is apparently how it is all year long, due to their proximity to the equator. So while I complain about those three months with little daylight, most of my year actually boasts more daylight than the Caribbean!

I believe the same concept applies to the dark days of our lives. They may seem endless, yes. But when you stand back and compare those dark days to the rest of your lives, I believe that if you are perfectly honest with yourself you will realize that the dark times are truly the minority; that God has surrounded you the majority of the time with mountain top experiences! Back to the example of my cancer experience, the worst of the darkness lasted about four months; but if you count the five following years of being followed by oncology, I could say that the entire experience was about six years long. Given that I have lived 57 years, I have most definitely had more good times than bad! Isn't this what the world's wisest man meant when he penned these words:
"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest.
A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance." (Eccl. 3:1-4 NLT)?

I recently was given an object lesson. We were asked to write all of our current problems on a blank sheet of paper. Believe me, mine took up lots of that page. We were then asked to bring that page in close to our eyes. Yup! That's how my problems looked. They enveloped all of what I could see. We were then instructed to move the page arm's-length away. Suddenly the rest of the room came into view and my list of problems really didn't look all that bad, comparatively speaking. That is how God sees our dark days of valley times: As just a moment in our lives. And during that moment, He is right there, just like the lights of Christmas, to bring us all the help we need to get through the trials. Hasn't He promised: "be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, 'I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.' So we can say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?'" (Heb. 5b-6 NLT)

Besides, I think that if I didn't have those short days in winter, I wouldn't appreciate the long days of summer nearly as much… Could it be that the same is true of my valley experiences?

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
This is the last part of the "Summer Solstice" mini-series. You are invited to access the entire series here.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 17 Jun 2021, 11:46 pm

In this, our first gardening attempt, my husband and I planted two summer squash plants: A yellow squash plant and a zucchini plant. Interestingly, they didn’t start bearing squash at the same rate. The yellow plant began first, and we are still having trouble keeping up with its abundant produce. We’ve had zucchini cake, zucchini fritters, stuffed zucchini, zucchini salad, zucchini/carrot sandwiches, zucchini pasta, etc., all made with yellow squash instead of zucchini. The actual zucchini plant, however, didn’t seem to be doing anything at all. Oh, it had flowers, and we could see the little squash beginning to grow, but they never seemed to get beyond the size of a short pencil. It was hard to believe that the yellow squash produced such an abundance of large, healthy squash, while the zucchini plant did basically… Nothing! Both plants, after all, were receiving exact same care, they had the exact same amount of sunshine, the same soil, the same water, etc.

It wasn’t until a couple days ago that I discovered the reason…

I was out hunting for hidden weeds under the large zucchini leaves when I found this long, thick, green – something! It was so big that it startled me, but as I brushed aside the leaves and dirt, I found one ginormous zucchini! It was as long as my countertop is wide and as thick as my hand’s breadth. My zucchini plant wasn’t “doing nothing” as I had thought! Rather, instead of dividing its efforts into multiple squash, It was putting all of its effort into this one monster!

Which plant did the right thing?

Well, if the goal was a huge squash, then the zucchini plant did the right thing. But if the goal was multiple smaller squash, then the yellow squash plant gets the medal, hands down…

Just before leaving this Earth, Jesus gave us an important command:  “Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20 NLT)

I don’t know about you, but I’ve often felt like I’m not necessarily doing everything I possibly can to obey this command. I mean, how many people have I brought to the Lord? I could probably count them on my hands and have fingers left over… I am definitely not the type of witness who brings hundreds to the Lord.

But is this the only type of witness that Jesus needs? I mean, when you bring hundreds to the Lord, how are you able to follow up with them? To disciple them? To ensure that their faith grows and that they get connected with a body of believers? And when I think of the few who have come to know the Lord as a result of my witness, I realize that I’ve done whatever I could to ensure that these develop rock solid faith….

This makes me think of my two squash plants, and I realize that just like there is a place in my garden for both types of producers, there is a place in the church for both types of witnesses. Those who bring those hundreds to the Lord are serving an all important role. But that doesn’t mean that those who put their efforts into a few select people to bring them to the Lord are doing the wrong thing. Just as there is a place for both types of squash plants, there is a place in the church for both types of witnessing!

I have, naturally, picked the gi-normous zucchini. I suspect that had I left it on the vine, it would have continued to grow, at the expense of the others on the plant. I hope that the other “pencil”-sized zucchinis will now begin to grow and develop.

In the same way, it is possible to spend too much of our time on the same new believer. We can play a vitally important role in discipling them, but there will be a time when they no longer need such an intense amount of discipling. If we continue to disciple them when they are okay on their own, could it be that we, too, will be neglecting other baby Christians who could use our help?

Are you a “zucchini” type witness for the Lord? Or a “yellow squash” type? My two summer squash vines have taught me that there is an important place for both… And when the baby Christian I’m discipling matures enough to make it on his/her own, then I need to turn my efforts to bringing others to the Lord as well!

Oh, and if anyone wants to know what to do with a gigantic zucchini, it made lovely “Zucchini Parmesan"! Four huge dishes of it, and there was plenty of Zucchini left over…  

God bless,
Lyn

Announcements
Are the Nugget devotionals a blessing to you? Check out the Scriptural Nuggets website!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 15 Jun 2021, 12:47 pm

Nugget
I have a favourite angel visitation story, found in Judges 13. It is the story of Manoah and his wife, who became parents of mighty Samson. An angel appeared to Mrs. Manoah, and told her she would become the mother of a son, a Nazirite (like John the Baptist), who should have no haircuts and go on to save Israel from the Philistines. She ran off to tell her husband what had happened, and Manoah prayed that the being would come back to repeat the promise. Apparently, Manoah didn’t realize this was an angel, and after a repeat of the prophecy, offered him dinner. When Manoah asked the man his name, he was told it is Wonderful, and the young goat and grain became the offering on a make-shift altar. As the flames consumed the offering, the angel of the Lord went up in the flame of the altar. Manoah was convinced he would die, because he had seen God. His wife, with a touch of humour I’m sure, assured him: "If the Lord had meant to kill us, He would not have accepted a burnt offering and a grain offering at our hands, or shown us all these things, or now announced to us such things as these". (Judges 13:23 ESV) 

The writer of Hebrews suggests that hospitality might lead to an angelic visit. "Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body."  (Hebrews 13:1-3 ESV). The Greek word *Philadelphia* is brotherly love, a deep friendship, affection or partnership. It should always be in evidence among Christian people. Hospitality is an easy and practical way to show brotherly love, to friends and strangers. When we are hospitable to others, we really are welcoming in the Lord Himself. To those in prison, their physical needs are usually met, but we can show brotherly love with sympathy, and a willingness to share the love and hope a life with Jesus brings. We can especially pray for those imprisoned for the sake of the gospel, as they are in the body of the church with us.

You may never see an angel or entertain one, but you never know! You can be assured that welcoming others and showing brotherly love is extending God’s love to others. Even in days of social distancing, a phone call, a card in the mail, or an e-mail can encourage and entertain someone who surely needs an uplifting word today.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
What "angel" can you serve today? 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 12 Jun 2021, 9:50 pm

I didn't need the calendar to tell me. Nor did I need to look outside at 7:00 am to see that it was still dark. No, it was my daylight soul and Vitamin D deprived spirit that screamed the message loud and clear: We're approaching the shortest day of the year! The winter solstice is at hand!

As I contemplated these facts this past December, I couldn't help but remember the long days of June. No, in June I don't have these problems. As the Summer solstice approaches and with it, the long, Canadian days, I just can't seem to get enough of the Canadian sunshine!

Interestingly, it is in the darkest times of my life that literal days seem the longest…. Take the time I was waiting for cancer surgery, for example. I'm sure time stopped, because that 2 hour and 45 minute wait was at least 3 days long! And, I have to admit, the reverse is also true: The rare times I get to see my Western Canada kids (It's a 5000 km drive…. No, it doesn't happen often enough!), our 10 day or so visit passes in what seems like an hour.

Why is it that I crave the days when there is the most physical light, yet I wish those long days through the valleys of life would be oh, so much shorter?

I suppose the answer is clear. We'd all prefer to lounge in the sunshine 17+ hours a day than to go through the valleys of life….

There have been times in my life, however, when I'm deep in the depths of some valley of negative circumstances or another, when time has passed quickly. Take, for example, that before mentioned day I was waiting for cancer surgery. After the first two hours passed in what seemed to span 3 days, I finally began to hear God's voice telling me that He could help me through this seemingly-endless wait. He motivated me to pull out a list of encouragements and encouraging Bible texts that people throughout the world had sent me and I had printed off for this occasion. I obeyed, and in a matter of 30 seconds, the last 45 minutes passed by and they were calling me for surgery.

Of course, I forgot this the very next time I was faced with what seemed like an endless problem, but every time I finally hear God's voice reminding me that He is my strength and my source of comfort, every time I remember to praise Him in the storm, things go so much faster and smoother and better.

Isn't this what one of my favorite Psalms has to tell us?

"Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.

"From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

"I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

"For you, God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name." (Ps. 61:1-5 NIV)

Yes, in the northern hemisphere we may be approaching the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, but you may feel like you're in the longest valley experience as well. Just remember: The darkest hour is just before the dawn, and God is there to carry you through that dark hour so that it will pass in the twinkling of an eye. Call out to Him! Let Him be your refuge, your strong tower! Take refuge in the shelter of His wings! For you know that He has heard your cries and longs to reach out to you!

As I set out to write this devotional, God placed yet another important lesson on my mind… Join us next week for Summer Solstice, Part 2

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Is the Nugget a blessing to you? Why not invite your family and friends to be blessed in the same way?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:14 pm

Each spring, the melting snows flow into the Madawaska River. From its source in Algonquin provincial park, it spills from lake to lake, punctuated by hydro dams along its course, until it meets at last the Ottawa River.  The lakes rise and break their chains of ice, and one by one the hydro crews open the dams to release the pent-up waters to the waiting lakes below.  Often the dams are frozen and coated with manacles of ice.  My brother once filmed the opening of Mountain Chute, one of the dams; the force of the released torrent cracked the ice wall like crisp candy, and it crashed with fury and great splashes into the water below, with a deafening roar.

Such powerful forces of nature were known to the prophet Habakkuk: "The mountains saw You and writhed; the raging waters swept on; the deep gave forth its voice; it lifted its hands on high." (Habakkuk 3:10 ESV) He wrote at a time when the nation of Israel waited in anxiety and confusion for an oncoming Assyrian invasion, and people were very afraid.  Yet Habakkuk knew that God was still looking after His people.

The torrents of water are strong, but our God is mighty, and has intervened to save His people many times in the past.  God is merciful, a Saviour who rescues us when there seems to be no hope: "The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.  He will not always chide, nor will He keep His anger forever."  (Psalm 103:8-9 ESV)

God is our Saviour, who has given His Word and is to be trusted: "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.  God, the Lord, is my strength;  He makes my feet like the deer’s; He makes me tread on high places." (Habakkuk 17:18-19 ESV)

Today, if you are glancing around in anxiety, remember His might salvation, His rich mercy, and that our God is worthy of your trust.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
Do you find yourself tormented by anxiety? Check out what God has to tell us about worry and fear!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next