World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyToday at 12:25 am by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 11:42 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 11:37 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 11:34 pm by Admin

» israelAM
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 11:30 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 11:03 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 10:15 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyYesterday at 9:26 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 11:21 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:34 pm by Admin

» AISH
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:18 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 10:02 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 12:08 am by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 11:32 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 11:21 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 10:47 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024, 10:42 pm by Admin

» Strangling Israel slowly
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 EmptyMon 15 Apr 2024, 11:37 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 Empty Re: Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Post  Admin Tue 20 Nov 2012, 12:00 am

By Billy Graham, Tribune Media Services
If God Knows Everything Why Didn't He Know About Sin?
Q: If God knows everything, then doesn't that mean He must have known the human race was going to sin against Him? Why, then, did He even create us? If I'd been God, I just wouldn't have bothered. Or maybe He didn't know what we were going to do. -- J.D.

A: You're right when you say God knows everything -- and yes, He even knew that Adam and Eve would give in to Satan's temptation and rebel against Him. God warned them in advance what would happen -- but they did it anyway.

Why, then, did God create us? The Bible doesn't give us a detailed answer -- but it does tell us that love is at the very center of God's nature. "God is love," the Bible says (1 John 4:16). But God's love needed to be expressed, and so He created individuals He could love -- and who could love Him in return. The Bible says, "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us" (1 John 4:10).

We weren't meant to be puppets or cold lumps of clay; God put within us the capacity to love Him. But something went wrong -- and that "something" was sin. Instead of loving God, we loved only ourselves. Instead of freely serving God, we became slaves to our own lusts and desires. Our relationship with God was broken, and death entered our lives.

But here is the remarkable thing: God still loved us -- and He still loves us! He loves us so much that even before we were created, He planned to send His Son into the world to bring us back to Himself (see 1 Peter 1:20). Do you know Him? Open your heart and life to Jesus Christ, and discover the joy of knowing God personally -- both today, and forever.

========

Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.

(c)2012 BILLY GRAHAM DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 22 Empty Re: Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Post  Admin Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

How Can We Decide Which Charities to Support?
Q: Toward the end of the year we get dozens of letters from various ministries and charities asking for money. I'm sure they're all worthy, and we'd like to help them, but we can't support everything. How should we decide which ones to support? -- Mrs. A.K.

A: I'm thankful you don't simply toss these letters in the wastebasket; many organizations (including our own) simply wouldn't exist if people didn't support them with their financial gifts. And many of them especially depend on year-end giving to continue their work.

No, you can't support every worthy cause -- nor does God expect you to. If they are doing God's work, you can safely assume that He will raise up others to support the organizations you can't support (although you can still support them with your prayers). I always encourage people to give first of all to their local church, and only then consider other ministries and charities.

Begin by asking God to guide you as you give. He knows which organizations need your support; ask Him to help you find them. Study them to know what they are doing; check if they are known for having high ethical and financial standards; seek advice from your pastor or other knowledgeable person.

Most of all, remember that everything you have comes from God, and He wants you to use it all for His glory. We live in the richest nation the world has ever known, and most of us could give far more than we actually do. Don't see your giving only as a responsibility, therefore, but as an opportunity to have an impact on the lives of others. Remember the example of the Macedonians, who "Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.... even beyond their ability" (2 Corinthians 8:2-3).

========
Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:44 pm

Did Our Argument Lead to My Husband's Fatal Car Crash?
Q: I'm burdened with guilt because my husband and I had an argument one morning and two hours later he died in a car crash. I even wonder if the crash happened because he was upset at me. I don't know why I'm writing, but maybe it'll keep someone from making the same mistake. -- Mrs. K.K.

A: Sometimes we deserve to carry a burden of guilt because we've clearly done something wrong -- and we know it. King David experienced this after he committed adultery with Bathsheba: "My bones wasted away.... My strength was sapped" (Psalm 32:3-4).

But sometimes we carry a burden of false guilt -- that is, guilt we don't deserve to have. We may think we've done wrong, but in reality we haven't, at least not to the degree we think we have -- especially in God's eyes. I can't help but wonder if this is the case with you. You don't know what really caused the crash that killed your husband -- and you never will. Yes, you wish you'd never argued with him, and that is a legitimate concern. It also is a lesson for others who might be tempted to keep conflicts brewing. But don't carry a burden you shouldn't be carrying.

The most important thing you can do, however, is to turn all your burdens over to God. Why keep carrying them by yourself, when God wants to carry them for you? The Bible says, "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall" (Psalm 55:22).

Guilt, grief, discouragement, fear of the future -- whatever your burdens are, hand them over to Jesus Christ. God loves you -- and your life will never be the same once you understand this.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 15 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm

Should We Honor Our Parents Even When They're Bad?
Q: I know the Bible says somewhere that we ought to honor our parents, but how can you do that when they've hurt you and even said they don't want anything more to do with you? I want to do what's right, but I'm not sure what it means in my case. -- Mrs. D.S.

A: You are actually referring to one of the Ten Commandments, which were given by God to provide us with a moral and spiritual foundation for our lives. One of the commandments says, "Honor your father and your mother... that it may go well with you" (Deuteronomy 5:16).

To honor someone means to treat them with respect -- not necessarily because they are perfect, but because God has given them a unique place in your life. You only have one father and mother, and in spite of their faults, God gave them to you -- and He gave you to them. No one else (except your siblings) has this relationship with them, and you should respect them because of it.

Pray for your parents; prayer is one of the best ways to honor them. In addition, do what you can to hold the door open to reconciliation. Don't hold on to resentment, anger or bitterness; they'll only hurt you. If you need to seek forgiveness for anything you did wrong, do so. The Bible says, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" (Romans 12:18).

Does this mean you overlook their faults or pretend your parents are different than they really are? No, of course not. But it does mean you do everything you can to let them know you are thankful they brought you into the world, and you care what happens to them. Thanksgiving would be a good time to express this.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

What Does Being a Disciple Mean?
Q: I'm new to church-going, because we never had anything to do with religion when I was a kid. Now I'm going to a church I like, but I don't always understand things. For example, they talk a lot about being a disciple, but what does that mean? -- B.C.

A: I'm thankful you've decided not to go down the same path your family did. Millions today go through life acting as if God doesn't even exist -- but He does, and our lives are never complete when we ignore Him. Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).

The word "disciple" is found frequently in the New Testament to describe Jesus' followers. The word is filled with meaning, and actually has three dimensions or parts to it. A disciple first of all was someone who believed in Jesus -- that is, who was convinced He was the divine Son of God who came from heaven to save us from our sins. A disciple was also someone who learned from Jesus -- that is, someone who listened to Him and absorbed His teaching. Finally, a disciple was someone who followed Jesus -- that is, someone who tried to obey Jesus and live for Him.

A believer... a learner... a follower -- these still describe a disciple today. And Jesus still invites us to be His disciples, because He loves us and wants us to know Him in a personal way. More than that, He wants us to bring His light into the darkness of this world.

I invite you to become Jesus' disciple right now, by asking Him to forgive your sins and take control of your life. Then ask Him to help you become His disciple, by believing in Him, learning from Him, and following Him every day.

========

Why Has God Abandoned Me?
Q: My husband walked out on me last month, right after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Why has God abandoned me? I'm so discouraged. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth going through treatment. -- Mrs. V. McL.

A: My heart goes out to you; what your husband did was selfish and shameless, and was a complete denial of the solemn marriage vow he made before God to be faithful to you both in sickness and health. The Bible says, "When you make a vow to God... fulfill your vow" (Ecclesiastes 5:4).

But God hasn't abandoned you, no matter how you feel right now. God loves you, and He knows all about your situation. The most important thing you can do is turn to Him for the encouragement and strength you need. Life isn't always easy; in fact, at times it can be very hard. But that's when we need God's help the most -- and He is ready to give it. The Bible's promise is true: "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble" (Psalm 9:9).

Don't be afraid to tell God exactly how you feel; He won't be shocked or upset or turn His back on you. But don't leave it at that! Instead, ask Jesus Christ to come into your life and assure you of His love. Then trust His promise that He is with you every moment of the day -- even when you don't understand everything that's happening.

Then ask God to guide you, and give you courage and hope. Listen: God has a plan for your life, and your greatest joy will come from discovering it every day. God's promise is for you: "I know the plans I have for you... plans to give you hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 12 Nov 2012, 9:11 pm

Will Our Hidden Faults Keep Us Out of Heaven?
Q: The other day, my aunt and I got to talking about heaven. She said she wasn't worried about going there because she'd always been a good person and tried to do what's right. I didn't say anything, but I'm not sure she's as perfect as she thinks she is. What do you think? -- W.N.

A: You may be right about your aunt; most of us have a hard time admitting our faults -- let alone doing anything about them. The Psalmist prayed, "Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults" (Psalm 19:12).

But it might surprise your aunt to learn that even if she is as good as she thinks she is, she still would fall short of what God requires of us. God's standard is nothing less than perfection. God is absolutely pure and holy, and even one sin -- just one -- would be enough to keep us out of heaven. No matter how hard we try, we can never measure up to God's standard. The Bible says, "Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrong" (Habakkuk 1:13).

Does this mean no one will ever go to heaven? No, it doesn't, because God has provided another way for us to be saved. That way is Jesus Christ, who came from heaven to make it possible for us to be forgiven and cleansed of our sins. He did this by becoming the perfect sacrifice for our sins, through His death on the cross.

Pray for your aunt, and encourage her to turn to Jesus and trust Him alone for her salvation. And the same is true for you. God loves you both and offers the gift of salvation to all who turn to Jesus Christ in faith and trust.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 11 Nov 2012, 3:32 pm

Is it Wrong to Feel Bad About Christmas?
Q: I know Christmas is still a long way off, but I'm already dreading it. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but Christmas is always such a hassle that I just can't help it. Is it wrong to feel this way about Jesus' birthday? -- Mrs. R.C.

A: I suspect almost everyone reading this can identify with you -- because for many of us Christmas has become a burden instead of a blessing. We get so busy, and we become so overwhelmed with everything we need to do, that we lose sight of its true meaning.

But of course it shouldn't be this way, because at Christmas we celebrate the greatest event in human history -- the coming of Jesus Christ into the world. The birth of that baby in Bethlehem's stable over 2,000 years ago wasn't just the birth of another great man. Instead, what happened that night is almost beyond our understanding -- because God Himself came down from heaven and became a man. As the Bible says, "'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel' -- which means, 'God with us'" (Matthew 1:23).

Why did Christ come? He came for one reason: To provide the way for us to be forgiven of our sins and go to heaven when we die. He did this because God loves us, and wants us to experience the joy of His presence every day.

As you look toward Christmas, begin by committing these days -- and your whole life -- to Jesus Christ. Take time each day to read His Word and reflect on His love. Then ask God to help you plan your holiday time carefully (even cutting out things that don't matter), instead of leaving everything to the last minute.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:22 pm

Does God Ever Get So Tired of Us That He Just Decides to Leave Us Alone?
Q: Does God ever get so tired of us that He just decides to leave us alone? We do this with other people sometimes, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if God did it to us. I wouldn't blame Him if He did. -- Mrs. C.F.

A: This isn't as easy a question to answer as you might think, and the reason is because the Bible indicates that God both gives up on us -- and He doesn't! Let me explain.

On one hand, at times God seemingly gives up on us and leaves us alone, allowing us to go our own way and not stopping us, even when we're headed toward disaster. This happens, the Bible says, when our sin and stubbornness become so great that we refuse to listen to Him, no matter how often He warns us. Then, the Bible says, we end up paying the price for our sins -- and God lets it happen. The Bible says, "God gave them up" (Romans 1:26, NKJV).

But on the other hand, God is always ready to forgive us and save us, no matter how far we've drifted away from Him. We may turn our backs on someone who's offended us and refuse to have anything more to do with them -- but God never does. No matter how far we've fallen, God still loves us and yearns for us to be with Him in heaven forever.

Don't risk your soul; don't turn your back on God. Instead, thank Him for sending His only Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to save you, and invite Him into your life today. The Bible says, "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him" (John 3:17).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 08 Nov 2012, 5:58 pm

Widowed Three Times; Which Husband Will I Be With in Heaven?
Q: My friend recently lost her third husband (all of them by death), and she asked me the other day which one she'd be married to in heaven. I didn't know how to answer, but I could tell this concerns her. -- Mrs. M.W.

A: One day, Jesus was asked almost the same question (although by people who were just trying to trick Him). His reply was clear: In heaven, we won't be married the way we are in this life. He said, "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven" (Matthew 22:30).

Does this mean we won't recognize our wives or husbands in heaven, or we won't have anything to do with them? No, absolutely not. Instead, we'll know each other in a far deeper and better way, for all the barriers between us will be completely erased. We'll also have new bodies -- bodies like the resurrected body of Jesus Christ. Although we can't fully imagine what this will be like, you can be sure heaven will be filled with joy and celebration.

Every good thing we experience on earth -- including human love -- is only a foretaste of what we'll experience in heaven. In other words, in Heaven we'll enjoy in a far greater way every good thing we enjoy right now. All evil will be destroyed, and even this earth will be renewed and become part of our heavenly experience. The Bible says, "In keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13).

The most important truth about heaven, however, is that we can go there! The reason is because by His death and resurrection Jesus Christ opened heaven's door for us. Have you opened the door of your heart to Him?

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 07 Nov 2012, 9:27 pm

Should We Meddle in Our Granddaughter's Reading?
Q: I know we ought to be glad our teenaged granddaughter likes to read; many her age don't. But some of the books she's reading seem to glorify immorality or deal with dark (almost demonic) themes, and we're not sure she ought to be filling her mind with all this. Should we say something to her parents? -- Mrs. J.H.

A: It's difficult for those of us who are parents to give advice to our adult children; they have their own lives now, and they may resent us trying to tell them what to do. Nevertheless, sometimes we need to make the effort -- and this may be one of those times.

You love your granddaughter -- and because you do, you don't want her to be led astray or tempted to follow ways that will only harm her. Every day our young people are on the receiving end of a barrage of messages urging them to live in a certain way -- but most of those messages are false. Helping them see this is one of the hardest challenges any parent faces today. We are like the people of Isaiah's day: "O my people, your guides lead you astray" (Isaiah 3:12).

Pray for your granddaughter, and ask God to give you wisdom to know how to express your concern -- both to her and to her parents. Instead of lecturing them, you might simply ask her parents if they're aware of what she's reading, and if they've given any thought to its impact. The Bible says, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable... think about such things" (Philippians 4:8).

Most of all, ask God to help you point your granddaughter (and her parents) to Jesus Christ. He alone gives lasting happiness and meaning to our lives.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 06 Nov 2012, 6:41 pm

Why Do Some People Have Such Long Memories?
Q: Why do some people have such long memories? Whenever we have a family gathering, one of my aunts keeps bringing up the same things that a cousin (now deceased) supposedly did to her many years ago. Why can't she just forgive and forget? -- Mrs. N.L.

A: One of the Bible's greatest promises is that when we truly repent of our sins and seek God's forgiveness, God not only forgives our sins but He even forgets them. The Bible says, "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more" (Jeremiah 31:34).

But if God both forgives and forgets the countless sins we've committed against Him, shouldn't we do the same toward those who have committed far fewer wrongs against us? Of course we should. Even if they refuse to admit they wronged us or won't accept our forgiveness, we still should forgive them in our hearts -- and then (with God's help) cast it out of our minds. As I've often said, if we don't do this, our anger and hurt will eat away at our minds and souls like a deadly poison. The key is to accept God's forgiveness by giving our lives to Jesus Christ, and then extending that same forgiveness to others.

I don't know why your aunt likes to dredge up these memories; perhaps she's just looking for sympathy or attention. But whatever her reason, ask God to help you remind her -- gently but clearly -- that her cousin is no longer here, and it's best not to be bound by the past.

In addition, ask God to help you examine your own heart and mind, to be sure you aren't harboring an unforgiving spirit toward someone who might have hurt you. The Bible says, "Love...keeps no record of wrongs" (1 Corinthians 13:4-5).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:57 pm

Does God Want Me to Vote?
Q: I'm sick of politicians and political campaigns, and I've decided I'm not going to vote this year. It wouldn't do any good anyway, because just one vote won't make any difference. Why bother? -- K.S.

A: Let me ask you a question: What would happen to our nation if everyone decided not to vote? You know the answer -- before long we'd lose our freedoms and be ruled by a power-hungry dictatorship. No system of government is perfect, including ours -- but all it will take to make it collapse is an indifferent citizenry.

But I also urge you to vote for another reason: I believe it is a God-given responsibility. When Jesus walked this earth, the whole civilized world was under the authority of one individual: the Roman emperor (or Caesar). He wasn't elected by popular vote, nor did ordinary people have an opportunity to express their views through the ballot box. And the Roman government wasn't perfect; in fact, it promoted paganism and could be brutal.

And yet Jesus taught that people still had a responsibility to encourage and support their government in every way they possibly could. He said, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's" (Matthew 22:21). The same principle is true for us today: We should do everything we can to encourage and support good government -- including voting. Understand the issues...know where the candidates stand on them...ask God to guide you -- and then vote.

Beyond that, however, pray for our nation and its leaders -- not just the President, but all who've been entrusted with public office. It's the most important thing you can do. The Bible commands us to pray for "all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness" (1 Timothy 2:2).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 03 Nov 2012, 4:38 pm

Is God Going to Get Tired of My Asking Forgiveness?
Q: I keep asking God to forgive me for something I did many years ago that I know was very wrong, but I don't think He has. Is He going to get tired of me because I keep begging for forgiveness? I still feel guilty over what I did, so I know He hasn't forgiven me yet. -- Mrs. D.U.

A: One of the devil's most effective tricks is to get us to put our trust in our feelings instead of in God's Word. But when we do that, the devil will deceive us every time by convincing us that God hasn't really done what He promised to do.

Let me explain it this way. Suppose you bought a new house, and you went to the bank and took out a mortgage to pay for it. What would happen once you paid off the mortgage? The answer is simple: The bank would stamp "fully paid" on the mortgage, and you would now own the house.

Why, then, would you keep paying the bank? You wouldn't -- because the debt had already been paid, and you didn't owe anything more. And yet this is what some people do when it comes to God. We owe Him an enormous debt we can never repay -- a debt caused by our sin. But Jesus Christ paid the debt for us, by giving His life for us on the cross. And now, when we trust Him for the forgiveness we need, God stamps our debt "fully paid"!

Don't doubt God's promise of forgiveness. Instead, open your heart and life to Jesus Christ, and thank Him for forgiving you -- not just for this sin, but for every sin you ever committed. God's promise is for you: "God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins" (Colossians 2:13).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:23 pm

Can a Husband and Wife Go to Different Churches?
Q: Does the Bible say a husband and wife must go to the same church? We can't agree where to go, and the simplest thing would be for us to go to different churches. Would this be wrong? -- Mrs. W.M.

A: The Bible doesn't say anything directly about this; the problem didn't arise because Christians were few in number in those days, and they knew they needed to draw strength from each other.

If it's at all possible, however, I certainly urge couples to attend the same church. Not only will it help them grow closer to each other and to God, but it will help their children learn about Jesus. Although my wife and I came from different denominations, we happily attended the same church in our small community.

However, I know it's not always possible for couples to agree on this, and rather than cause discord, on rare occasions it may be better to take the path you've suggested. However, don't do it casually or simply because it's easy. Pray together about it, and ask God to guide you and help you know His will.

Don't judge any church too quickly, but ask God to guide you to one where the Bible is preached and taught, and you can have fellowship with other believers. In addition, think through what you really need in a church. Do you simply want a church that reminds you of the one you grew up in? Or are you honestly seeking a church where you can grow in your faith, and you can serve Christ?

Above all, put Jesus Christ at the center of your lives -- as individuals and as a family. When our lives are centered in Him, disagreements begin to fade. Remember the Bible's admonition: "Let us not give up meeting together... but let us encourage one another" (Hebrews 10:25).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:03 pm

Why Can't People Forgive Me After My Prison Stay?
Q: When I got out of prison last year (after seven years for armed robbery) my family made it very clear that they didn't want anything to do with me. I didn't even get invited to my daughter's wedding. I know I've messed up my life, but why can't people be more forgiving? -- F.C.

A: The harsh reality is that most people have a hard time forgiving someone who's hurt them deeply -- and the deeper the hurt, the harder it is to forgive. This doesn't excuse your family for their unforgiving attitude -- but at least it may help you understand it. Self-centered people, the Bible says, will always be "without love, unforgiving" (2 Timothy 3:3).

At the same time, you must be careful that you don't fall into the same trap, by failing to forgive them for the way they've treated you. An unforgiving spirit not only fails to solve anything, but it acts like a poison on our souls. You cannot harbor anger and bitterness in your heart without bringing great harm to yourself. The Bible warns, "See to it... that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many" (Hebrews 12:15).

How can we forgive those who have hurt us? I believe it's only possible when we realize how much we've hurt God, and we seek His forgiveness for our sins. We don't deserve to be forgiven -- and yet God in His love and grace offers to forgive us because of Christ. Ask Him to forgive you and come into your life today.

Then tell your family (perhaps in a letter) that you're sorry for the hurt you've caused them, and you hope they'll forgive you. It may take time, but God can change their hearts -- just as He will yours.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 12:21 pm

Does An Angel Take Us to Heaven?
Q: Does an angel come to be with us and take us to heaven when we die? I hope so, because I don't expect to live much longer, and I don't like the thought of being all alone when I die. -- J.J.

A: Yes, the Bible indicates that when we die we will not be alone, but angels will accompany us on our journey to heaven (if that is our destiny). In one of His parables, Jesus told about a poor man who had suffered much during his time on earth. When he died, Jesus said, "the angels carried him to Abraham's side (i.e., to heaven)" (Luke 16:22).

But the Bible also reminds us that we are never alone if we've given our lives to Jesus Christ, because God has come to live within us by His Holy Spirit and has adopted us into His family. One of Jesus' most comforting promises was spoken to His disciples just before He was taken back into heaven: "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20). He is with us every minute of the day -- right up to the moment of our death.

How do we know this is true? We know it because Jesus Christ experienced for us the greatest loneliness imaginable -- the loneliness of the cross. We deserve nothing less than hell because of our sins -- but Jesus took upon Himself the judgment and hell that we deserve. Now He offers us the gift of eternal life -- and all we have to do is receive it.

Life isn't always easy, especially as we grow older. But ahead of us is heaven, where we'll be safely in God's presence forever. Let that great truth encourage and strengthen you every day.

========
Why Is God Letting Me Go Into a Nursing Home?
Q: I'm in the hospital (broken hip), and the doctor says I can't live on my own any more but must go into a nursing home. I can't face it. I've been independent all my life. My children live in other cities, and I can't go live with them. Why is God doing this to me? -- Mrs. E. McD.

A: Losing our independence as we grow older is hard -- and it's especially hard if we've been used to doing almost anything we wanted to do. But no matter who we are or how self-reliant we've been, eventually we'll lose our independence if we live long enough.

Do you remember Peter, who was one of Jesus' closest disciples? Before he met Jesus, Peter was a fisherman on the Sea of Galilee -- strong, independent, willing to take risks, used to running his own business. And that independent streak never completely left him, even as a disciple. Often, for example, Peter was the first to speak out, and when Jesus was arrested Peter impetuously drew his sword and cut off the ear of the high priest's servant (see John 18:10). But one day, Jesus warned, Peter would grow old and lose his independence. He said, "When you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you" (John 21:18).

Don't be angry at God because you're facing problems; they are part of life, and God has not abandoned you. Instead, be thankful for every day He gives you, and ask Him to help you adjust to your situation -- and even be a blessing to others.

Most of all, fix your eyes on heaven. Life is brief -- but eternity is forever. Put your life into Christ's hands, and thank Him for the hope we have of heaven because of His death and resurrection for us.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:55 pm

Is Satan A Force for Good or Evil?
Q: I was shocked by a story in our newspaper the other day about some people in our community who say they worship Satan. They say Satan isn't evil like people think he is, but is a force for good. I thought this kind of superstition went out with the Middle Ages. -- Mrs. J.Q.

A: Don't think Satan is an out-of-date superstition; even a casual glance at the headlines in your newspaper should convince you that Satan is alive and well. How else could we possibly explain all the horrific things that are happening in the world?

But Satan is very clever in the way he disguises himself. When something evil happens, he seldom boldly proclaims, "I am Satan, and I did this!" Instead, he often works behind the scenes so people don't realize just how active he really is. Or, he may deceive people (such as this group) into thinking his way is best, and that he alone can give them the happiness and success they seek. The Bible even says that at times "Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14).

The tragedy is that many people serve the devil -- without even realizing it. They don't worship Satan; they may not even believe in him. But God is not important to them, nor do they thank Him for His gifts -- and as a result their lives are aligned with Satan's plans instead of God's. The Bible says that Satan "has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts" (John 12:40).

The most important fact about Satan, however, is that he is a defeated foe! By His death and resurrection Jesus overcame Satan's power -- and some day His victory will be complete. Don't be deceived, but build your life solely on Jesus Christ -- both for this life, and for eternity.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 27 Oct 2012, 1:47 pm

How Can I Stop Being Such a Pessimist?
Q: The other day, a friend asked me why I was such a pessimist. Well, until that moment I don't think I'd ever realized I was like this, but she's probably right. How can I get out of this? Or should I? After all, there are a lot of things wrong with the world. -- S.B.

A: Someone once asked me if I was an optimist or a pessimist, and I replied that I was an optimist -- because I had read the last book of the Bible!

What I meant was this: No matter how discouraging things seem, the Bible tells us that God is ultimately in control, and some day He will intervene to destroy all evil and injustice. That will happen, the Bible says, when Jesus Christ returns to usher in His kingdom of perfect righteousness and peace. The Bible says, "But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13). Is your hope in Him?

Admittedly some people always tend to look on the dark side of things; it just seems to be part of their personality. (The opposite is true, of course; other people always seem to be cheerful and optimistic.) But no matter what we're like, God wants us to lift our eyes to Him, and take comfort in His promises. If you truly believe, for example, that God loves you and is always with you, won't it make a difference in your attitude?

God has not promised that we'll ever live in a perfect world -- not until Christ comes again. But He has promised to be with us always -- and you can trust His promises. Put Christ first in your life, and then ask Him to remind you every day of His constant goodness and presence.

========

How Can I Get the Holy Spirit?
Q: I know something is missing in my spiritual life, and from what I've heard some of my friends say, I think it must be the Holy Spirit. What do I have to do to get the Holy Spirit? -- Mrs. D.W.

A: If you have sincerely committed your life to Jesus Christ, then He has already come to live within you by His Holy Spirit. The Bible says, "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple (or dwelling place) and that God's Spirit lives in you?" (1 Corinthians 3:16).

In fact, the Holy Spirit has already been at work in your life -- even if you weren't aware of Him. Before you ever confessed your sins and put your faith in Christ, the Spirit convicted you of your sins and convinced you of the truth of the Gospel. In addition, the Spirit drew you to Christ, and He even gave you a new heart and a new life as you committed your life to Jesus. Jesus said, "No one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.... Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit" (John 3: 3,6).

But what may be missing in your life is the power of the Spirit -- that is, His control over your life. God wants to change us from within and make us more like Christ. But we can't do that on our own; it only happens as we allow the Holy Spirit to control our minds and wills.

Turn your life over to God and ask Him to change you from within by His Spirit. Then make the Bible your constant companion and guide every day. The Holy Spirit gave the Bible to us, and the Holy Spirit will use it to change us.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 25 Oct 2012, 8:52 pm

What If I Have No Sins to Forgive?
Q: I was always taught that at the end of each day we ought to ask God to forgive us for any sins we've committed during that day. But sometimes I can't think of anything I've done wrong or that I ought to confess. Am I overlooking something? -- E.Y.

A: What you were taught about asking God to forgive you at the end of each day is both commendable and wise (and it's a practice I've always tried to follow in my own life).

Why is this a good habit? One reason is because if we don't stop to think about our sins, we'll probably overlook them -- and if we do that, we'll keep on doing them. Just as our hands grow calloused and insensitive if we keep rubbing them against something hard, so our hearts can become calloused and hardened to our sins when we don't face them and seek God's forgiveness. And if we never ask for His forgiveness, we'll also never ask Him to help us overcome them.

But the main reason we need to deal with our sins as soon as possible is because sin cuts off fellowship with God. If we have given our lives to Jesus, we are still members of His family if we sin -- but our fellowship with Him is damaged, and we no longer are close to Him.

What are you overlooking? You're overlooking your own sins -- even if you aren't aware of them. The Bible says, "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8). Remember: We sin not only by what we do, but also by what we fail to do -- including what goes on in our minds. Ask God to help you face your sins -- and then seek God's forgiveness.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:01 pm

Will We Be Surprised At Who We See in Heaven?
Q: I heard someone say the other day that when we get to heaven, we're probably going to be surprised at some of the people who will be there. Do you think it's true? -- Mrs. B.L.

A: Yes, I believe it is true (and so, incidentally, did my wife, Ruth, who often quoted this statement). But we also may be surprised when we get to heaven to discover who isn't there!

Why is this? The reason is because of a very simple but profound truth: Our salvation does not depend on us and our good works, but solely on God's grace to us in Jesus Christ. No matter how good we are, we will never be good enough to win our admission into heaven. God is absolutely pure and holy, and even one sin -- just one -- would be enough to keep us out of heaven. That's why even someone we think of as a very good person may not end up in heaven after all.

But God in His mercy and grace has provided another way for us to be saved -- and that way is Jesus. He was without sin, but on the cross all our sins were transferred to Him, and He died in our place. Now we can be cleansed of our sins and made ready for heaven, by trusting Him for our salvation. The two men who were crucified with Jesus had sinned greatly -- but one repented, and Jesus welcomed him into heaven in spite of his sin (see Luke 23:40-43).

Who are you trusting for your salvation -- yourself or Jesus? Make sure, by repenting of your sins and trusting Christ alone for your salvation. The Bible says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith...not by works, so that no one can boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm

Why Should We Ask Others to Pray For Us?
Q: What good does it do to ask others to pray for us? Why should we ask others to pester Him with our requests? Isn't it enough to pray on our own? -- Mrs. A.T.

A: God certainly wants us to bring our concerns to Him privately. Jesus said, "When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Matthew 6:6).

However, the Bible also encourages us to pray for each other, and to ask others to pray for us. Paul, for example, repeatedly asked people to pray for him and his coworkers as they sought to tell others about the new life they could have in Christ. To the Christians in Thessalonica he wrote, "Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you" (2 Thessalonians 3:1).

Remember: God loves us, and He is concerned about everything that concerns us. Furthermore, He has promised to hear our prayers when we come to Him sincerely and in faith, trusting Him to do what is best -- for us, and for those for whom we are praying. The Bible says, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us" (1 John 5:14). This is possible because Jesus Christ has bridged the gap between God and us by becoming the final sacrifice for our sins.

Don't let your pride, or anything else keep you from asking others to pray for you -- because God is pleased when His people unite in prayer. And don't forget to pray for those who need your prayers -- whether they ask for them or not.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:28 pm

How Did I Become an Alcoholic?
Q: My father was an alcoholic (and not much of a father as a result), so I always said I'd never go down that path. Well, you can guess what's happened -- I've become an alcoholic. How did this happen? -- J. McN.

A: Surely one of life's greatest puzzles is why we keep on making bad choices in life, even when we know they'll only hurt us. Even the Apostle Paul experienced it: "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do" (Romans 7:15).

I don't know why this has happened to you; I can only guess. I do know, however, that people often turn to alcohol to escape from their problems, and perhaps this is the case with you. After all, you didn't learn from your father how to deal with problems; his answer was to escape from them by turning to alcohol. Now this has become your "solution" (although in reality it only makes your problems worse).

The real question, however, is this: What should you do now? You've already taken the first step by admitting you have a problem with alcohol. Now take the second step by seeking help to deal with your problem. Your doctor or pastor or other professional can point you to programs in your community that have helped others, and may help you. Don't be ashamed to admit your problem to someone who can help; it will only get worse if you don't.

Most of all, seek God's help. God loves you, and unlike your earthly father, your heavenly Father will always be there to help you. Begin by asking Jesus Christ to come into your life, and then ask Him to help you become the person He wants you to be.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 21 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

Should I Become a Church Officer?
Q: Some people in our church want me to become a church officer, but I'm not sure I should. They think I'd do a good job because I've been successful in my business, but to be honest I'm not even sure I'm a very good Christian. How should I decide? -- D.R.

A: I'm thankful you're not making a quick decision about this but are taking time to think it through. It would be easy for you to assume that since others think you're qualified, then you should go ahead. But it isn't necessarily true.

Being a church officer is a position of great spiritual responsibility and trust, and you shouldn't accept it casually or for the wrong reasons. This is why you need to take time to pray about it, because the most important thing you need to discover is God's will about this decision. God knows all about your church, and He also knows your strengths and weaknesses.

To be candid, however, unless you have a strong conviction that God is calling you to accept this position, I would discourage you from doing so. Your role as a business leader may be important, but even more important will be your role as a spiritual leader. Are you able to fulfill that role? The early Christians only chose leaders "who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom" (Acts 6:3).

May God guide you as you make your decision, but most of all, may He give you a desire to grow stronger in your faith. Make sure of your commitment to Christ, and then make Him and His Word the center of your life every day. Don't be satisfied with a weak faith, "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:11 pm

Are We Approaching The End of the World?
Q: I'm sure you've been asked this before, but do you think we're approaching the end of the world? I've heard, for example, about that ancient Mayan calendar that predicts the world is going to end soon, and I wonder if it might be true. -- Mrs. V.B.

A: From time to time, it seems, someone will come up with a new theory or "discovery" that supposedly predicts exactly when the world is going to end. But those predictions have all been wrong -- and there's no reason to believe this one will be any different. Scholars aren't even agreed on what that ancient calendar actually says.

Are we, however, nearing the time when Jesus will come again and the world as we know it will come to an end? Jesus warned us against trying to predict exactly when He would return. He said, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" (Matthew 24:36). Instead, He said we need to be ready for His coming, for it could happen at any time.

At the same time, Jesus did say that a number of events must first happen before He returns -- and many of these have already taken place. I often think, for example, of His statement that the Gospel would be preached to the whole world before He comes again -- and more than ever, that is happening (see Matthew 24:14).

The real question, however, is this: Are you prepared for that day? To put it another way, if you somehow knew beyond doubt that the world would come to an end tomorrow, what difference would it make in your life? Make sure of your commitment to Christ, and then make it your goal to live for Him every day of your life.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:48 pm

Why Should I Continue Going to Church?
Q: My parents are upset at me because I told them I didn't want to go to church anymore. Why should I? Church is boring, and as far as I'm concerned it's just a waste of time. But I promised I'd write you first. -- M.G.

A: Have you asked yourself why your parents are upset at your decision? I suspect it's deeper than embarrassment, or simply wondering what they're going to say to their friends, or some similar reason.

Why, then, are they upset? The real reason, I suspect, is because they know that you will soon be entering adulthood -- and they don't want you to go through life without God. In other words, they sense that by turning your back on church, you're also turning your back on God -- and that concerns them very deeply. Perhaps they've seen others go down that same road -- and they know it eventually leads to moral and spiritual disaster.

Are they right about you? Are you hoping to leave God behind, as well as your church? Only you can say, of course -- but I urge you to face this question honestly. Sometimes we can do things without even realizing why we're really doing them -- or at least without understanding where a decision will lead us.

I too found church boring when I was your age; I even might have dropped out if my parents had let me. But then I met Jesus Christ and committed my life to Him, and everything changed. The Bible came alive for me, and I looked forward to the opportunity to have fellowship with other believers. Turn to Christ and open your heart and life to Him, and then ask Him to help you grow closer to Him as you have opportunities to learn from older believers.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next