World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 11:33 pm by Admin

» Keith China Nanjing
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:55 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:55 pm by Admin

» servant @ TWO LISTENERS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:04 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:43 pm by Admin

» +Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:06 pm by Admin

» WAR DRUMS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 7:48 pm by Admin

» BIRTH PANGS – Series of Powerful Earthquakes Volcano's Strike Around the Globe
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 7:47 pm by Admin

» ENDTIME HEADLINES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 7:38 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:38 pm by Admin

» Daily Disciples
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:37 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 5:56 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 5:54 pm by Admin

» Barry Segal @ VFI News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jan 2022, 8:24 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jan 2022, 4:52 pm by Admin

» Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jan 2022, 4:29 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jan 2022, 2:54 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jan 2022, 1:57 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jan 2022, 1:20 pm by Admin

» Things You Should Know about Hell
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jan 2022, 11:37 am by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Sat 04 Sep 2021, 10:10 pm

We are told in the Bible to help others (See Hebrews 6:10, Galatians 6:2, Deut. 15:11, etc.). We are told to love one another (See John 13:34-35, 1 Peter 4:8, Ephesians 4:32, etc). And when we obey these commands, Jesus tells us that we must do so in – Total Secrecy: “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 6:1 NLT)

I get this. In giving us this advice, Jesus is protecting us from one of the most hated sins: Pride. This one thing was the reason Satan and 1/3 of the Heavenly forces fell (See Isaiah. 14:12-15, Revelation. 12:4). None of us likes to be with people who brag. Somehow it cheapens what they have done. But just what does Jesus mean when He goes on in vs. 3 of Matthew 6 to say, “But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.” (NLT)?

Is this even possible? I mean, I’m one body, right? My right hand and my left hand are both controlled by the same brain, aren’t they? My right hand can’t do anything without the left hand knowing about it! Why would Jesus tell us to do something that is impossible?

Recently, God has made me aware that the primary reason I don’t reach out to others more often is that my agenda each day is more important than His agenda. I have been begging God to help me to become more loving, pleading with Him to help me to surrender my agenda to Him so that I am willing to drop my own plans in order to take up His. It’s a work in progress, but there have been times when I’ve succeeded in laying my own plans aside so that I could reach out to other people.

As I was contemplating this yesterday, I felt good. I felt like God was patting my back and saying, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” (Matthew 25:21 NLT). It was a good feeling, and as I basked in this feeling, I could feel my pride rising. Finally I was conquering this monster! Finally I was becoming more loving, more willing to surrender. I was digging my way out of this trap, and God was proud of me.

Wait. Was I feeling… Proud? Had God just revealed to me another layer of pride? One that was so cushioned in obedience to the Father that I didn’t even recognize it was there?

But we are supposed to feel good when we succeed at something we’ve worked hard for. What’s the difference between feeling good about something and feeling pride?

As I contemplated this, God placed this verse in my heart, and suddenly I knew what Jesus meant when He told us to do the impossible thing of not letting one hand know what the other is doing! He meant that when we do good deeds, not only it is for the Father’s glory in the eyes of the world, but it is for His glory, and not our own, in our own eyes as well!

You see, I had been congratulating myself on my success of finally surrendering my plans to God. But it wasn’t my success at all! Hadn’t I been trying for years to achieve this goal, with total failure? If my plans were surrendered to God, it was because of Him! He convicted me of the need. He placed it in my heart to pray for revival in this area. He empowered me to succeed! The glory wasn’t mine, it was His! I shouldn’t have been congratulating myself, I should have been congratulating… Him! Matthew 6:3 means that my left hand must acknowledge that it is God working through my right hand, not me!

This may have been a new revelation to me, but it actually isn’t new at all. Consider this verse from 1 Peter: “whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 4:11 ESV)!

Still not convinced? Remember the parable of the sheep and the goats? When God tells the “sheep”, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.” (Matthew 25:34 NLT), their response is a bit surprising: “Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you?” (vs. 37b NLT). These “sheep” are actually -- astonished! Why? Because they make a habit of following Jesus’ suggesting in Matthew 6:3: they don’t let their left hands know what their right hands are doing! They don’t take credit for themselves, they give all the glory to God!

I don’t know if anyone else has struggled with pride the way I have, but when God placed this revelation on my heart, He convicted me that I had to write it down. If you, too, are engaged in a pride struggle, just remember: You must recognize that whenever you do what is good, whenever you lovingly reach out to others, whenever you attempt to be the hands of God on earth, it isn’t of your own power or will or might! It is of God’s power. His will. His might. And if there is any success, it is Him who deserves the glory!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” (NIV) Send your prayer request via email here or through What’sApp (+91 98696 68137) and let us pray in agreement with you! "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” (Matt 18:20 NIV) Hallelujah! 

Subscribe Other Devotionals Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 02 Sep 2021, 7:52 pm

As a child, I well remember being very envious of a neighbouring family.  There were three sisters, lovely children, who house was grander than ours, with a piano, and they went on wonderful vacations.  As the only girl in our family, I longed for playmates, fine toys and to on holidays with them.  As a teen and young adult, I quietly envied those who were prettier and more popular, and especially more confident than I was!  Since then, I have at times longed for a fine home, a bigger pay cheque, and the ability to travel more.

I wonder if this has been “an arrow in my heart”, as the writer of wrote of, “He shot arrows in my heart.  My own people laugh at me.  All day long they sing their mocking songs.  He has filled me with bitterness and given me a bitter cup to drink…..Yet as I grieve over my loss, yet I dare to hope when I remember this:  The faithful love of the Lord never ends!  His mercies never cease.  Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning.  I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my inheritance; therefore I will hope in Him!’” (Lamentations 3:13, 21-24 ESV)

God has graced me with much more wisdom since those days, I am grateful to declare.  I have learned to appreciate the things without a price, which make me feel rich.  These include friends who unfailingly love and surround me, a loving family, the ability to pursue my passions for painting and writing, wonderful memories which make me smile, and have those whom I love to share my life with.  The writer of Lamentations assures us that out of His great love and compassion, God provides for us, and is faithful to those who hope in and wait for Him.

We live in a world of hurry and quick answers, and waiting on God can be hard.  It’s time to slow down and observe what God has provided today and be grateful.  As believers, we have accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour, and permitted Him to lead us in our lives.  Not surprisingly, the more we wait on God, the quicker we discover Him, His will, and His providing hand.

As we choose to wait on God, then, the desire for wealth and quick answers fades away to a new vision of how He works in our lives and is providing in ways we can’t even see.  The arrow in the heart was not having God at the centre of it. “…..be patient as you wait for the Lord’s return.  Consider the farmers who patiently wait for the rains in the fall and in the spring.  They eagerly look for the valuable harvest to ripen.  You, too must be patient.  Take courage, for the coming of the Lord is near.” (James 5:7a -8 ESV)

Prayer:  In your hearts enthrone Him;  there let Him subdue all that is not holy, all that is not true; crown Him as your Captain in temptation’s hour; let His will enfold you in its light and power (C.M. Noel, 1817-1877).  Thank you for being in the centre of our hearts and lives, dear Lord, and for meeting all our needs in your love and compassion.  Amen.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
Are you frustrated with an ineffective prayer life? God does answer prayers, my friend. Why don't you come to Answers2Prayer and discover the power of prayer for yourself?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:12 pm

Have you ever stood on a beach and marveled at the majestic ferocity of wind-driven waves cresting and slamming into a sandy shoreline? It’s truly a sight to behold. The sound alone is enough to stir in my soul feelings of peace and tranquility. I for one love to watch the sun rise and set in a fiery sky that reflects God’s glory in an ocean of frothy waves and roiling surf.

As beautiful as this spectacle can be, the power behind these waves can be extremely dangerous if not viewed from a safe distance. And similar to waves crashing into shore, I often wish I could step back a safe distance to watch those things in my life that cause me heartache. I would far rather view such painful experiences from the sanctuary of a sandy beach than neck-deep and drowning in situations that threaten to destroy the harmony I so desperately cling too.

Let’s face it; life is not always as smooth as a pristine glassy lake, or an ocean shoreline that is calm enough for us to walk through the surf up to our knees. In my life, I’ve encountered many situations where my feet are pulled out from under me, where rough seas grab hold and pull me under the surface. It’s during such a calamity that my faith is tested and doubts enter my mind when God remains silent and the waves grow in size and strength. And do you know what? This response is exactly what the devil wants. He wants us to lose hope that Jesus will ever calm the storm. I sense you nodding your head, that you’ve been under the waves more than a few times in your life.

But there is good news when the undertow of life is too great. The good news is Jesus Christ. He is fully capable of calming the storms in your life. In the bible, there is the story of Jesus in a boat with his disciples, the group crossing to go over to the other side of lake. But soon, a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?” (Mark 4:37, 38 NLT)

Now here is the cool part!

"When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, 'Silence! Be still!' Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, 'Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?'” (Mark 4:39, 40 NLT)

My friend; when the undercurrent of life pulls you below the surface and you feel like you might drown, might I encourage you to place your hope and trust and life into the very capable hands of our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Don’t be afraid. He can overcome any obstacle you face. He can still the waters and renew your spirit. He can restore your soul and provide the peace that passes all understanding. You just have to let him.

Paul Smyth

Announcements
Welcome to all new Nugget subscribers!
We hope and pray that you will find this newsletter a blessing to you and to your families. God bless each of you as you strive to draw closer to Him!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 28 Aug 2021, 8:24 pm

As our province in Canada was reopening after the recent COVID-19 crisis, one of the “privileges” we were finally allowed after weeks of lock down was to be able to visit with a small number of family and friends. Our premier suggested “social bubbles” of no more than 10 people, so that in case of new infections in our group, contact tracing would be simplified. Having been separated for over three months from my aging mother and our university son, we immediately established our “bubble” of four. How wonderful those first hugs felt!

It soon became apparent, however, that our son’s “bubble” contained more than his parents and grandmother. It expanded to include about 5 of his university friends. Thus, our “bubble” now contained 5 people we hardly knew! And of course, if each of those individual 5 people had other people in their “bubbles”, then our bubble potentially expanded way beyond what we were aware of.

Of course, this kind of defeats the purpose of facilitating contact tracing; however, the idea of the “social bubble” makes me think about another “bubble”…Our “bubble” of influence!

You see, we may not think we are touching many people, but just like my “social bubble” that seemed to be so small was, in reality, quite large, our “bubble” of influence is the same. I may think that only one or two people have the possibility of being influenced by my actions; but in reality, my actions could result in far more wide-spread influence than I could ever envision.

I am usually pretty even-tempered, but when things happen that mess up my plans, I can be…well…Let’s just say that I’m usually pretty ashamed of my actions afterwards, and I usually see the need to apologize and repent! I remember one day when I got aggravated at my mom because, in the words of the therapist who phoned me, “She refused to get on the bus to go home and you’ll have to come pick her up from rehab.” Of course, that unexpected trip to the rehab center in a different town, coupled with the trip to her home in yet another different town, did not fit well in my plans, and we’ll just say I had a little “melt-down”. Little did I realize that my two young boys were watching me, and they would go on to tell their grandmother about my reaction. No, I wouldn’t know this for quite some time. Instead, I was left to sit and wonder why my poor mom (who was actually in the middle of a medical crisis at the rehab centre, and our next stop was actually the Emergency Department of the local hospital) couldn’t stop crying, why she acted so guilty and so insecure for the next several weeks… That, of course, affected her interactions with hospital personnel, and before long, the nurses stopped treating her with kindness… All because my little “melt-down” formed a rather large “bubble” of influence!

We never know who is watching us or how our actions/words can affect them. Is this why Jesus gives us such a harsh warning in Matthew 18:6? “But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.” (Matthew 18:6 NLT). We may think that we sin in “secret”, but we never know how big our “bubble” of influence might actually be!

One more thought about the “bubble” of influence… We may not all be evangelists, but we are all called to witness, to do everything in our power to draw people to Christ. Most of us don’t ever find ourselves in situations on a daily basis where we are directly speaking to someone about Christ (though this should be our goal!); but we usually are around at least one other person every day. Does our behavior always reflect Jesus Christ? If so, we never know just how far that little act of kindness, that patience, that love shown, etc., will go. Maybe someone saw you carrying groceries into the house for your crippled neighbor. In that one act of kindness, they may begin to want what we have in Christ. And as they each begin to show more kindness, those they are kind to may be drawn to the Lord as well, and our “bubble” of influence grows larger and larger.

What if, however, they see us being impatient? Yelling? Running a red light? Telling a white lie? Will that tell “younger” Christians that these things are okay? And what kind of a message does that give to those who do not know Christ? And if they are drawn even farther away from Him, then their own actions could go on to affect more and more people, drawing them all further from Christ.

The point is, we never know just how far the influence of one tiny action will go. We don’t know how we will negatively – or positively! – impact the lives of those around us, nor how they will influence the lives of those around them as a result. Our best bet is to safeguard ourselves from being a bad influence, something we can easily do by following the advice of the apostle Paul: “Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.” (Colossians 3:10 NLT). When we do, we can be assured that we are good influence to those we come across, and that our “bubble” of influence, however big it may be, will help to draw people to – and not away from! – Christ!

In is love,
Lyn  
Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
SUBMISSIONS WELCOMED!!!

Has God given you a special message? Why not share it with The Nugget and its subscribers? The Nugget welcomes any and all Bible-based devotional submissions under 800 words. Please include at least ONE BIBLE TEXT in your submission, and send it here!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 26 Aug 2021, 8:45 pm

“So, I was with some friends preaching in South Africa,” a preacher said, “when a blind woman who sat at the front came up for prayer.

The preacher told her Jesus loved her and wanted to heal her blindness. He then placed his hands on her head and prayed. In that instant, her eyesight was restored.

Who could doubt God still performs miracles? Blind see again, lame walk again, cancer ends, emotions become healthy.

But what happens to those, like me—whom God didn’t heal? What could be the reason?

Whether physically or spiritually blind, we all have asked that same question. How often, in our desperate, aching heart we ask: why, when, and how?

Why, why, why…

As we try to understand, we wonder: Why would He allow us to enter such dark times, endure so much hardship and face so many painful moments?

We take those questions to bed. They rumble in our minds during sleepless nights. Nothing makes sense. What went wrong? We lead lives that, by most standards would be considered good. We attended church every Sunday. And drawing strength from nowhere, we come up with activities to keep our kids busy. We silently endure the lay-offs. And we fret because the bank account mirrors our nearly-empty pantry and fridge.

But we’re full of questions like these:

1. Why is God so far, distant and seemingly uninterested in the unfortunate state of our country and the world?

He is not only interested, but He’s involved. He hears our longing; He knows our questions and He has the answer: “The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18 NIV).

We can endure because He’s close. We can move forward because He keeps us from crushing into despair. And we wait in anticipation because He understands our broken heart.

2. What about our broken plans? How can we bring back what we had before?

God sees our plans shattered to pieces before us. That’s why He reminds us of His own plans: "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Those plans are to prosper us, not to harm us. They are to give us hope and a future'" (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)

3. What will happen tomorrow, or next week or next year?

In spite of the anxiety that blinds us from seeing a new horizon, His restoring power is at work to bring a new beginning:

“See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland” (Isaiah 43:19 NIV).

The streams of reassurance open the way to new horizons. In the desert of pain, He makes the way for healing and in the wasteland of grief He brings the warmth of His comfort.

4. Where is He when we’re drowning in fear because of unexpected adversity? And where is He when we’re crossing through the fire of hopelessness?

He knows the precise place of our needs. He knows the spot where we hurt. And He is aware of the intensity of our suffering. And to it all, He whispers: “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze” (Isaiah 43:2).

There is hope...Blindness, disease, heartache or financial hardship may invade our lives, but we’ll never drown in despair. And when the fire of fear draws near, it will never burn because He’s in the midst of our weakness. He’s at the moment we stumble, when anxiety visits, and even when danger lurks, He’s present with His protection.

He was present in that church in South Africa where Jesus chose to heal the blind woman. God didn’t heal my blindness, but He gave me 20/20 vision to see His hand at work. The same hand that is holding you, your situation, your silent loneliness, your pain and your heartache.

All He asks is for you to fix the eyes of your heart on Him. That’s when hope is born. Faith grows. And courage stands. The kind of courage that defeats all evil. The size of courage to simply believe. Believe that God will see you out of your troubles.

Let’s Pray: Father. Thank You for healing my unbelieving heart. Thank You for giving me eyes to see who You are, what You promise and how You guide.

What blinds you from seeing His hand at work?

Janet Eckles

Announcements
Great news! Answers2Prayer has a webpage offering 68 Online Bibles available in different languages. Please visit us! If you know of an online Bible in a language that we do not yet have available, please let us know by sending an e-mail. Thank you my friends.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 24 Aug 2021, 9:42 pm

It was one of those days. Besides being in the midst of the COVID pandemic, everything I touched seemed to go bad. I was tired, and I was more than a little bit grumpy. The kicker, however, was when I got to the checkout counter at the local grocery store, mask and gloves intact, with two heaping carts, and… No credit card! Please understand that in those days, I only went to the store when I absolutely had to, I spent as little time as possible there, and then I would return home to wash my clothing, take a shower and disinfected the seats of my car. Now I was going to have to make a double trip in my “COVID” clothing; I was going to have to go into the house “dirty”, find a credit card, and then re-enter that “dirty” zone of the grocery store to pay for my goods. Oh God, where are You?

That’s when a license plate parked on the side of the road caught my attention: PADRE4U. Wait. Padre. That’s Spanish for “Father”…God was using that license plate to speak to me, to remind me that He was right there, always for me, always with me!

I’ve heard so many stories like this. It makes you wonder, doesn’t it? How often does God make Himself known to us? The Bible tells us that He never leaves us or forsakes us: “For the LORD your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6b NLT); yet when we are in the midst of “stuff”, this promise is hard to remember.

Had I not looked up at just the right moment, however, I would have missed that license plate. How often when I’m feeling low does God reveal Himself to me, but I miss it? What about the beautiful sunrise this morning? God’s artistic handiwork was all over that one; but I was so focused on how tired I was and how much I didn’t want to go out for groceries that I didn’t recognize God’s hand. Then there was the nickel on the pavement just beside my car, perfectly visible when I opened my car door. Weren’t the words, “In God we trust” staring right up at me? Did I even take the time to realize God was trying to get my attention? To remind me that He was there amidst my “stuff”?

Genesis 28:10-22 records a beautiful story. After participating in a vicious scheme of deceit to steal his brother’s blessing, Jacob is fleeing for his life. How low he must have felt! Yet despite Jacob’s sin, God looked down from Heaven and love Jacob enough to send him a dream: “As he slept, he dreamed of a stairway that reached from the earth up to heaven. And he saw the angels of God going up and down the stairway. At the top of the stairway stood the Lord, and he said, ‘I am the Lord, the God of your grandfather Abraham, and the God of your father, Isaac. The ground you are lying on belongs to you. I am giving it to you and your descendants.’” (Genesis 28:12-13 NLT). Jacob took great comfort from this dream. He was so touched that the next morning, he “…got up very early. He took the stone he had rested his head against, and he set it upright as a memorial pillar. Then he poured olive oil over it. He named that place Bethel (which means ‘house of God’), although it was previously called Luz.” (Vs. 18-19 NLT).

Fast forward 20+ years. Jacob has returned to Canaan a rich man, with flocks and herds and wives and sons; nonetheless, it is a low time in his life for his sons have just completely annihilated an entire city (see Gen. 34). God appears to Jacob another time: “Then God said to Jacob, ‘Get ready and move to Bethel and settle there. Build an altar there to the God who appeared to you when you fled from your brother, Esau.’” (Genesis 35:1 NLT).

Why did God want Jacob to return to Bethel of all places? Because He wanted Jacob to remember… He wanted him to remember how He reaches out to us when we are in our lowest moments. He wanted Jacob to remember how He loves us despite our sin. Jacob’s response? Once again, he “… set up a stone pillar to mark the place where God had spoken to him. Then he poured wine over it as an offering to God and anointed the pillar with olive oil.” (Genesis 35:14 NLT)

The next time you are caught up in a bunch of “stuff”, problems that keep you from seeing God around you, I challenge each one of you today to do two things:

1. Keep on the watch for these little signs of God’s love for you. They are NOT there by accident. They are placed there by a loving Heavenly Father Who wants to remind you that He is there, that you can put your trust in Him.

2. Record these incidences in some way. Then, the next time you are feeling down, reread the signs of God’s love. Revisit the place where He reached out to you. Be like Jacob and return to your “Bethel”.

God loves you, friends! “See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are!” (John 3:1a NLT). And He loves you enough to want you to find Him in the midst of your difficulties. Watch for Him today.

Who knows? Maybe you’ll see a license plate that reads PAPA4U!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Is there a particular subject or series you would like to see featured in the Nugget? If so, please let me know by emailing me by clicking here! lyn@sermonillustrator.org

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 21 Aug 2021, 8:38 pm

Have you ever noticed how many ways there are to peel an orange?

Some just dig in with their nails. Others cut off the top and bottom and cut a line across the fruit in order to have a place to start. Some slice the orange in 6-8 pieces and then eat it off the peel. Some cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice out of each half…

I’m sure there are those who really don’t care how to peel an orange… As long as you are able to get to the fruit underneath… Of course, there are those who swear by one way over another. For example, I love my oranges cut in sections, and I eat them off the peel; while my husband much prefers to peel his oranges before he tries to eat them. In the end, however, we both eat our oranges!

So why am I writing about something as insignificant as peeling an orange?

Because there is more than one way to accurately do many of the things that we are required to do in life. And in the same way, there are those who swear by one way over another, and in regards to things more important than peeling oranges, differences in opinion about how things should be accomplished have led to misunderstandings, arguments, even fights.

Should we be arguing with one another over how to peel an orange?

Should we be fighting with one another over how to do things that are more important than peeling oranges?

The answer to both questions is found in the word of God: “Therefore, accept each other just as Christ has accepted you so that God will be given glory.” (Romans 15:7 NLT); and “Do not judge others…” (Matthew 7:1a NLT)

The point is, whenever there is a difference of opinion, we need to take the time to think before we react. We need to ask ourselves if it really makes a difference how the orange gets peeled – or how the other things that truly are important get done – as long as they get done.

So often I’ve been pretty stuck in my ways about how to do things, always resisting ideas of others and criticizing how they do things. There have been times, however, when I’ve been made to understand that the ideas of another actually were good ones, that they accomplished the same purpose, and sometimes in an even more efficient manner…

When you think about it, it really all boils down to pride. Our pride stands in the way of accepting others the way they are. Our pride keeps us from seeing that there is truly more than one way to “peel an orange” – do whatever the task is that is before you.

Several years ago, my partner on the team I served went on maternity leave and a replacement was brought in part-time, someone who was known for her expertise in the area and the excellent results she received. I was immediately on my guard, and my pride ballooned. After all, what we were doing was working well. We didn’t need anyone to come in and tell us how to accomplish our job!

Things went fairly well at first, or so I thought. Then one day, during a performance appraisal exercise, I was asked to ask my colleagues how it was to work with me. Imagine my shock and horror to get the first negative feedback of my entire career! This colleague brought in to replace my partner had nothing but shockingly bad things to say about me!

I’m ashamed to say it took me quite some time to forgive this person, and in order to do so, God had to put a few pins in the balloon of my pride. The next hurdle was reconciling with this colleague, for ever since the performance appraisal exercise, working with her had become like working with an ice berg. I was praying about this one day, and God said, “Ask her to teach you her methods!”

What? God wanted me to consider a different technique than the time-honored one that worked for me?

I argued with God for a bit, but as we all know, this is a senseless exercise. God wanted me to experiment with other ways to “peel my orange” so to speak.

I spent a bit of time praying for humility, and then one day I asked my colleague if I could observe some of her treatment sessions. I admitted that since our methods differed, I was sure there was something I could learn from her.

You’ve never seen anyone’s mouth drop so far…

I did observe this colleague, and what I learned not only changed my entire approach to treating patients, but also helped them to get better faster. It did something else, too: It broke the ice with my colleague. She and I became partners in the true sense of the word. She learned from me, I learned from her, and in the end, both her other job and my program benefited. And it was all because God convicted me there were other ways to “peel an orange” – to run my program.

What situation do you find yourself in where you can learn from someone else? Don’t be like me: Don’t let your pride get in the way. Instead, humble yourself and learn that there is “more than one way to peel an orange”! Remember what the world’s wisest man says? “Instruct the wise, and they will be even wiser. Teach the righteous, and they will learn even more.” (Proverbs 9:9 NLT). One sign of wisdom is that it continues to seek instruction, so go out there and learn other ways to “peel your orange”!

I don’t know who this devotional is meant for today, but it didn’t come from me. Whenever this happens, I know that God has an important message for someone out there. If this is you, and you need help in this area, please feel free to let me know! You can email me here.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Do you wonder about that unique "friendship" that we have with Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour? Check out the mini-series, "What a Friend"s

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 29 Jun 2021, 8:04 pm

My son, a PhD student, had fallen behind on his research. Much of this was due to a major comprehensive exam that, complicated by the fact that the university closed down due to COVID-19, took almost two semesters to complete. As a result, he was unable to meet his research paper deadlines for the year. Then, days after the exam was finally completed, a foreign student and good friend in my son's research group suffered a tragic death in the family. He reached out to help, and once again, he had to lay aside his own research. 

As a mom, I worried. I had worried about his research and lack of research papers through the entire comprehension semesters, and I, for one, was pretty happy when the exam was over. Then came the death... Oh God, the timing couldn't have been worse! How on earth will he ever be able to catch up? How will he be able to finish his program before his grant money runs out? Why can't You clear the way for him to focus on his research?

With my faith reaction to this minor situation so weak, I would definitely have fallen apart in Abraham's shoes. Abraham waited so long for the fulfillment of his promised son. I most certainly would have had many dips in my faith during those 25 years; but then, when the boy was in his teens, God gave Abraham a strange command: "Take your son, your only son -- yes, Isaac, whom you love so much -- and go to the land of Moriah. Go and sacrifice him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will show you." (Genesis 22:2 NLT).

Wait. What? He was to sacrifice -- kill -- the very son he had waited 25 years to receive?

Yes, at this point, my faith would have been nothing but dust. I'm ashamed to admit that I would never be able to sacrifice the answer to a 25-year prayer! I mean, if I worry so much about my son's research, how could I have ever even considered laying down my "Isaac"?

Yet, this is, to a somewhat smaller scale, what my son did, isn't it? In giving those weeks of undevoted time to his friend, time that he didn't have to give, he was, in essence, finding himself in the same boat as Abraham. And unlike me, my son willingly laid his "baby" down. Why?

Because he knew something in his heart… The same something that Abraham knew... "It was by faith that Abraham offered Isaac as a sacrifice when God was testing him. Abraham, who had received God's promises, was ready to sacrifice his only son, Isaac,even though God had told him, 'Isaac is the son through whom your descendants will be counted.' Abraham reasoned that if Isaac died, God was able to bring him back to life again. And in a sense, Abraham did receive his son back from the dead." (Heb. 11:17-19 NLT). Abraham believed that God would give him Isaac back. And in a similar way, my son believed that God would give him the lost time back. He took God at His word when He said, "And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others." ( 2 Cor. 9:8 NLT)

Where did that leave me?

I had a choice to make: I could either continued in my worry and doubt, or I could join the ranks of my son -- And Abraham of old! -- and take a stand in faith that my son's research would be completed -- Right on time!

What about you? What are you having trouble laying down on the altar? Is it something small, like me, or is it something much bigger that God is asking you to lay down? Whatever it is, what will your answer be?

Let's exercise Abraham-like faith. Let's take God at His word! Never forget His promise to us through the prophet Malachi: "'Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,' says the LORD of Heaven's Armies, 'I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease. Your grapes will not fall from the vine before they are ripe,' says the LORD of Heaven's Armies." (Mal. 3:10-11 NLT). Whatever it is God is asking you to do, do not hesitate to comply. Instead, cast aside the worry and doubt and stand on the Truth of God's word that He will not only provide you with everything you need, but the blessings will be so great that you won't have enough room to take it all in!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
Please join us on Thursday for another look at faith from "A New Perspective on Faith, Part 5". 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 26 Jun 2021, 7:22 pm

The Seed: A New Perspective on Faith, Part 3
June 26, 2021

On Tuesday and Thursday this past week, I told the story of how we built garden boxes and filled them with dirt, and how this gave me a whole new perspective on mountain-moving faith and the faith that Abraham must have had when he left his home to wander in a foreign land for -- four generations! -- without ever seeing the realization of the promise.

We were coming up on the right time to plant those garden boxes, and we went out and brought home seeds and seedling plants.

What truly amazed me is that someday those tiny seeds would be radishes, and that single, short stalk with two leaves on it would one day produce tomatoes. I could kind of understand the lettuce plants and the seed potatoes. After all, they already looked like lettuce and potatoes; but those seeds... How could it be that planting one tiny seed in the soil would yield me a carrot or a radish or a beet? It blew my mind.

It takes a bit of faith, doesn't it? I had to have faith in those who packaged the seed that they put the right seed in, that it was good seed, and that some day it would somehow or another be a parsnip...

Of course, I had hundreds of years of the experiences of others to prove to me that those seeds would produce, even if I couldn't understand how. But what about Noah? Noah, living in a time where there was no rain, no seas, no ships, was told to go out and build an ark! How much faith would that have taken? I mean, he didn't even know what an "ark" was, and he had no idea what a "flood" would look like, for the Bible says: "It was by faith that Noah built a large boat to save his family from the flood. He obeyed God, who warned him about things that had never happened before." (Heb. 11:7a NLT). In Noah's obedience, he was truly following Paul's advice to the Corinthians: "For we live by believing and not by seeing." (2 Cor. 5:7 NLT).

You have to ask yourself at this point: Just how important is faith? I mean, if I don't believe the seed will produce a radish, I simply won't plant it, right? I'll buy my radishes from the market, already grown. In Noah's case, however, that faith became a matter of life or death: "By his faith Noah condemned the rest of the world, and he received the righteousness that comes by faith." (Heb. 11:7b NLT). In one act of believing in what he could not even imagine, Noah saved his family, condemned the rest of the world, and received the righteousness that comes by faith!

Does this mean, then, that Noah would not have been declared righteous without faith?

This would be in keeping with the rest of the Bible: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith…" (Eph. 2:8 NIV).

It is all so abstract. How can we better understand?

Let's go back to my radish seed. I didn't understand how a seed can produce a radish, so the simple planting of that seed would take an element of faith. If I didn't plant the seed, however, I would never be able to have that radish. Faith was the prerequisite for Noah as well. He had to choose to begin the ark project, despite the fact that he had never seen an ark or a flood. Beginning the project was the "seed" he planted. In much the same way, faith is the prerequisite for us to be saved by grace. In order to be saved, we have to believe it will happen and take that step to accept Jesus' gift, even when we can't understand it all.

When God asks us to take a step in faith, He doesn't always make it clear what the end result will be, and sometimes He asks us to do things that we've never done, or perhaps have never even seen before. We can be sure of only one thing: We must take that step in faith before anything can happen!

What is God asking you to do in faith? Whatever it is, remember Noah: He received the righteousness that came by his faith, and you will too!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author — “Aboard God's Train — A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer”, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
Does your faith need a boost? Why not check out "Mountain-Moving Faith"?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:37 pm

On Tuesday, I told the story of how God moved my mountain -- literally! -- as my husband and I attempted to move 7 cu meters of gardening soil from our driveway to our new garden beds, one shovelful at a time, and all before the rains came.

The garden beds were finished then. They were completely ready to plant, just waiting for it to get late enough in the season to be past the risk of frost; which, in this cold Canadian climate, is usually after the 3rd weekend in May.

What does all of this have to do with faith?

Just this: Even though the garden beds didn't have any plants in them at all, I knew that I can look forward to a harvest of beautiful, organic, vine-ripened vegetables in the late summer and fall. Why? Because I had faith that the weather would eventually warm up enough to plant and that the plants would take root in the good soil and would produce their fruits in season. I had faith that what I could not see would come.

The very first verse of Hebrews 11 says this: "Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see." (Hebrews 11:1 NLT) Thus, though I didn't need to see the large, red tomatoes or the crisp green peppers, my faith became the reality and the assurance that it would happen.

Let’s take a look at Hebrews 11:

"It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going..." (Heb. 11: 8 NLT)

Here we see Abraham blinding leaving his home, even though he had no idea where he was going, to wander as, "foreigners and nomads on Earth." (Hebrews 11: 13d NLT). He didn't even know if he would see the promise fulfilled. And in the end, the Bible records that he, "...did not receive what was promised..." (Heb. 11:13b NLT). In fact, he, "...died still believing what God had promised..." (vs. 13a NLT). Why? Because he, "...saw it all from a distance and welcomed it." (vs. 13c NLT).

Abraham wasn't the only one to die without seeing the promise fulfilled:

"It was by faith that Isaac promised blessings for the future to his sons, Jacob and Esau. It was by faith that Jacob, when he was old and dying, blessed each of Joseph's sons and bowed in worship as he leaned on his staff. It was by faith that Joseph, when he was about to die, said confidently that the people of Israel would leave Egypt. He even commanded them to take his bones with them when they left." (Hebrews 11:20-22 NLT)

Even until the 4th generation, the promise was still not fulfilled! Isaac, Jacob and Joseph ALL "died still believing what God had promised..." (vs. 13a NLT).

Did God go back on His promise?

Not at all. We all know the story. Generations later, God rescued Abraham's offspring from slavery and brought them the land He had promised to Abraham and his descendants so many years earlier.

What made Abraham leave his home? What kept Isaac and Jacob strong in their faith? What pushed Joseph to have confidence that Israel would leave Egypt?

It was because they were, "...confidently looking forward to a city with eternal foundations, a city designed and built by God." (Heb. 11:10 NLT). It was because they, "saw [the promise fulfilled] in the distance and welcomed it." (Vs 13d NLT). They were able to continue to believe because they kept their eyes on the promise and not on their circumstances!

And it is this same faith that made me know beyond a doubt that my new garden beds would produce vegetables in the late summer and early fall…

What was the reward of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph's faith? Yes, their offspring would go on to inherit the Promised Land; but there was a much more immediate reward: "That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them." (vs. 16b NLT); "Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation." (Heb. 11:2 NLT); It was through their faith that they received the "righteousness that comes by faith" (Heb. 11:7b NLT)! The best reward of all was that great "well-done!" from their Heavenly Father!

What promise has God given you that you do not yet see fulfilled? Whatever it is, do not doubt. Just because I didn't see vegetables growing in my garden didn't mean they wouldn't be there. Just because Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph never saw the fulfillment of the promise didn't mean it wouldn't happen. And just because you don't yet see the fulfillment of God's promise(s) to you also does not mean that it won't happen. Whatever it is God has promised you, keep your eyes upon Jesus and believe that He is the ultimate promise-keeper, that He, "is able to do whatever he promises." (Romans 4:21 NLT)

Remember that keeping His promises, even when it doesn't look like it's happening, is God's part in the bargain. We also have a part to play: We must – have faith! For our faith becomes the "reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see." (Hebrews 11:1 NLT)

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
Join us on Saturday for "A New Perspective on Faith", Part 3: The Seeds!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 22 Jun 2021, 10:12 pm

Yesterday there was a mountain on my driveway. Literally!

Early in the morning a dump truck dropped 7 cu yards of gardening soil just in front of my garage. It would have to be moved – shovelful by shovelful into a wheel barrow, and then shovelful by shovelful -- into the raised garden beds we had built the day before out of concrete blocks.

Because of the previous day's activities, we were both tired and sore before we ever got up in the morning. Nonetheless, the mountain had to be dealt with, and we set into the job. By 1:30 we had moved just under half of the dirt, but we were spent. We went inside for lunch. By 3:30 we still had about 1/3 of the "mountain" left, but neither of us could move a muscle. We went inside for half an hour to rest up. We were seriously considering leaving the rest for the next day, but a quick look at the weather forecast changed our minds: Rain! We couldn't even imagine the mess that would make on our "mountain", and how hard it would be to move it wet!

The threat of rain kept us going for awhile, but it seemed like no matter how many times we filled the wheelbarrow and dumped it in the garden spot, the "mountain" was as big as ever; and by this time, our aching backs and screaming legs and arms dictated that we couldn't move another shovelful of that dirt.

As I rounded the corner of the house yet again to see that "mountain" that wouldn't go away, I was reminded of a passage of scripture: "I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, 'May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart." (Mark 11:23 NLT)

Wait. Surely this wasn't written for the "mountains" of garden soil on my driveway!

Or was it?

God has been leading me through the Truths of Hebrews 11 lately, and the 6th verse came to my mind: "And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him." (Heb. 11:6 NLT). Wait. Was I not seriously seeking God? Did I truly believe He would reward my faith? And for something as insignificant as that "mountain" of garden soil on my driveway with rain on the way?

I decided to take God at His Word. I prayed, "God, I believe that all I have to do is speak to the 'mountain' and it will be lifted up and thrown into the garden beds! Therefore, I 'speak' to the dirt and I believe you will transport it to the garden beds!”

It was amazing. Each wheelbarrow load after that seemed to hold twice as much dirt, because suddenly the "mountain" began to go down at an incredible rate, and it was only about three more trips before we were scraping the last of the loose soil from the concrete!

What "mountain" is in your way today? Maybe it isn't a literal mountain as mine was, but whatever it may be, do you truly believe that God can move it?

If you are like most of us, you probably don't. Not really. Not deep inside. Or maybe you believe that God can move it; but you don't truly believe that He will. Or at least, not because of your prayers. 

If this is you, then I encourage you to meditate upon the truth of Heb. 11:6: "And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him." (NLT). Put it in your heart to diligently seek God. Not because you want Him to move your mountain, but because of His love for you. Ask Him to draw you in. Then, don’t "judge" God by what you think He hasn't done in the past. Instead, truly believe that He will reward you.

If you have trouble with this step, then put the onus back on God. Pray, as did the father of the demonic boy: "The father instantly cried out, 'I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!'" (Mark 9:24 NLT) Then, don’t be surprised when your “mountain” begins to crumble!

This is the first part in a short series based on Hebrews 11 that will be appearing over the course of the next few Nuggets. I pray you will be blessed by a fresh look at this mighty chapter of faith, just as I have been as I've recently reread it!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- “Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer”, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 03 Jun 2021, 9:28 pm

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7 NIV)

The Greek word for anxiety is "merimna" which means to be distracted or divided, to fall apart or to be split into pieces. It is a good description of something that we all experience when life hits us hard. One day, everything seems to be going well; the very next day, everything is blown apart, and we're left picking up or worrying over the pieces. Sometimes, it happens to us; sometimes, it happens to our family and friends -- health issues, work problems, relationship struggles -- and we don't know what to say or do. Sometimes, it happens to our nation, or the whole world. We worry because we feel powerless, and this, in turn, isolates us from the help that we need. Anxiety takes over, and our future dreams are fragmented.

According to the apostle Peter, the remedy for anxiety is God's great care and compassion. The Greek word is "melei", which means to be fully concerned, deeply solicitous, and totally involved. In other words, when we feel anxious, God cares about the worries that we have, and He seeks to help us through them. This is why Jesus also invited us to come to Him when we are weary, burdened, and at the end of our tether. He is willing to provide us with comfort, rest, and strength. He said:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV)

Application: Are you anxious about something or someone in your life? Let God's loving care help and embrace you at this time.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You know the things that heighten our anxiety and the current worries that burden us. Be near us today and allow us to feel Your loving presence in our hearts, minds, and homes. In Your holy name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart 
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission

Announcements
Looking for tips on how to witness to your non-christian friends and family?  Check out "Fishers of men!" a two-part mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 01 Jun 2021, 1:06 pm

I love to read, and especially enjoy reading biographies.  Reading these accounts gives me a real sense of connection with people of the past, and helps me see how history unfolded during their lifetimes.  So many people with fascinating lives were part of and instrumental in making history happen as it did.  One of the most influential people of the modern era was Napoleon Bonaparte; the military, legal, social and educational changes he enacted in his lifetime still have repercussions today.  Reading his biography lent to my understanding of how history was changed in Europe and beyond in the following centuries. 

I also enjoy reading all the writings by one author, and then his/her biography.  It opens up so much more of the author’s thought process and experience of their world.  I have delved into the works of Rudyard Kipling, Prince Albert, Rosamund Lehmann and other authors this way.  How much more meaningful to me, and Christians worldwide, to be able to read the Scriptures, and not only read the biography of the Author of life, but to know the Lord God personally!

"For  I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call on Me and come to pray to Me, and I will hear you.  You will seek  Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart.  I will be found by you, declares the Lord." (Jeremiah 29:11-14a ESV)  What a wonderful promise!  Our God is always thinking about us, with kind and loving plans for our welfare, and is continually waiting to hear our prayers.  He will not hide away when His people seek earnestly for Him; our search for Him, and His revelation of Himself, form a great future and a hope.

Have you ever thought that your own biography might change the course of the future?  Most of us will never see our life stories put in print for all to read, but the Lord knows every sentence and paragraph.  Our God thinks about us and has plans for today and the future, and a wonderful future it will be when *you will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me with all your heart*.

Prayer:  Sing with me:  Search me, O God, and know my heart today, try me, O Saviour, know my thoughts I pray; see if there be some wicked way in me; cleanse me from every sin, and set me free. (James E. Orr).  Amen.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
Read any good biographies today? I know four excellent ones that have stood the test of time, four biographies that will shower you with blessings each time you read them: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 18 May 2021, 10:08 pm

It will be Memorial Day in the United States at the end of May. Are you celebrating Memorial Day? Or are you trying to remove the memory of the personal battles that you sometimes fight, but often lose?

Not long ago, I sat at the gate, waiting to board the last leg of my trip home. I settled in, listening for the announcement to pre-board.

But instead, this announcement came through: "Sorry, folks, we just got word the flight to Orlando will be delayed for one hour. We'll give you and update as we receive it."

Can you believe this?" the man seated beside me said. He gave a long sigh. "I can't believe another delay. You would think as much as they charge for these tickets, the airlines would get their act together."

Minutes later, another announcement: "We just got word the delay will be about two hours."

He slapped his leg. "Are you kidding me? This isn't happening!"

I smile with compassion at his ranting.

This man's problem wasn't the delay. The issue was with the fact that he chose to enter into a battle between his perception of how things should be and the reality of what things were.

That battle has winners; they're called anxiety and stress.

And all of us at one time or another have sat on the gate of disappointment. Maybe not because of a flight delay, but because of an answer prayer that never comes, a drastic change that leaves us numb, or a heartache that shakes our world.

All of the above shove us onto the battlefield where our emotions are on the frontline. But no matter how we fight, no matter how we try to change, correct or resolve, the only way we become winners is by carrying the banner of victory as we allow God to fight our battles.

Like the Israelites, we have the Egyptians of destructive emotions chasing us night and day.

But Moses carries the promise: "Moses answered the people, 'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still'" (Exodus 14:13-14 NIV).

Even when we face the greatest battle, being still is doable when we embrace these three truths:

a. God provides the three weapons we need. He said He has not given us the spirit of fear, but of love, of power and of sound mind (See 2 Tim. 1:7). Receiving what He offers ushers the reassurance that His power is at work, His love is active and this wisdom in us is at work.

b. He gives us the confidence to declare our freedom from worry. Worrying is a way to tell God He's not enough. He's not in control. And He's not the provider He says He is. But in Matthew 6 He instructs not to worry. Not now. Not tomorrow or ever: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (Matt. 6:25-27 NIV)

c. God shows us the way out of the prison of stress. He said He will give us the peace that goes beyond all understanding...if only we make sure we're not anxious for anything. And instead bring to Him all our request wrapped in praise, thanksgiving and supplication (see Philippians 4:6).

Let's pray: Father, when battles grow fierce, I will trust in you to bring freedom, to defeat the enemy of destructive emotions. I will cling to you as my defender from all attacks and injuries. I count on you to bring me triumphant victory. In Jesus' name, amen.

What battle are you trusting God to fight for you?

Janet Eckles

If this message resonated with you, please visit Janet's cyberspace home for more inspiration.

Announcements
If you enjoy The Nugget, encourage someone to subscribe. We also encourage you to share The Nuggets with others as well, as long as you do so without charging, and as long as you credit Scriptural Nuggets as your source.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 15 May 2021, 11:03 pm

After 18 hours of heavy rain, the sun that popped out from behind the clouds couldn't have been more welcome, and my husband and I hurried into our shoes and headed out for a walk. 

Our biggest hurdle was all the puddles on the sidewalks, and we often found ourselves going into the street to avoid getting our feet wet. Ahead of us was a grandpa out with his 3-year-old granddaughter on a tricycle. From a distance, we were amazed to see the little girl going back over and over a small section of her path. It wasn’t until we were closer that we saw she was purposefully riding through a large puddle. As we came abreast her, she got off her trike and began pushing it through the same puddle, stomping her booted feet with joy as the water drenched her pants, her shirt, even her hair...

We crossed to the other side of the street at this point. COVID-19 restriction dictated social distancing, for one thing; but in all reality, we really didn't want to get in the spray of water droplets she was sending flying through the air! 

Isn't it funny that the one thing we were avoiding at all costs was the very thing that gave this child such delight?

It made me think about my relationship with God. God wants us to be "all-in" with Him! 

What does that have to do with little girls and puddles? 

When you think about being "all-in" with God, it sounds simple enough at face value. When you dig in a bit deeper, however, you begin to realize that being "all-in" for God can get a bit messy. It may mean you have to give of your hard-earned money that you had slated to buy a new car to help your neighbor who has nothing. It may mean that you are required to talk about God to people who might ridicule you. It may mean that you have to get up early in order to spend quiet time with God. It might mean you have to dedicate a portion of your day to intercessory prayer. It might mean giving an evening (or several) to leading small groups. It might mean that you have to sacrifice your own comfort to help others... 

Suddenly it doesn't sound so appealing, does it? And most of us find ourselves skirting those "puddles"! 

That 3-year-old girl, however, saw the puddles we were trying to avoid as opportunities to experience joy. What if we, just for once, didn't see those "puddles" as hurdles? What if we saw the as opportunities as well? Opportunities to experience God in a more intimate fashion? Opportunities to grow in our trust, to bask in His love, to experience His power? What if we were less afraid of the "water drops" of shame? Poverty? Stress? Sleep deprivation? Hunger? Humiliation? Instead of skirting these things, what if we were to dive into them with the enthusiasm of that 3-year-old girl in her water puddle?

If we did, then like the little girl, we would begin to fully experience the joy of the Lord. We would begin to delight in His presence, and we would begin to become what He wants for each of us: Effective witnesses dedicated to the Great Commission. 

Is being "all-in" with God something we can just "opt" for? Or is it more?

Consider this passage from Romans 6: "Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness." (Romans 6:13 NIV) 

Hum. This sounds more like a command than an option! A command that we know will... hurt! 

But God never asks us to do anything without promising to be there with us at all times, to give us strength, to give us everything that we need: "And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:19 NIV); and, "God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Cor. 9:8 NIV). Besides all of that, Jesus said, "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Luke 6:38 NIV). 

Friends, when we give unconditionally to others for God, we will experience Him so fully that we won't even realize we are sacrificing! It may be a hard thing to make the decision to get your feet wet; but oh, it is so well worth the challenge. Just ask that little girl!

Let’s pray: Lord, we want to be "all-in" with You... but we are afraid of the personal cost! We are afraid of the sacrifices that would require of us! Help us to remember that there is no fear in perfect love. Help us to love You and others with the same careless enthusiasm of that little girl on her trike! For only when we do will we be able to fully experience You, Your power, Your loving heart, Your miracles in our lives! In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.

In His love,
Lyn 

Announcements
Dear Nugget subscribers,

We value your input! Is the Nugget meeting your needs? If you have any suggestions for the Nugget, please email me here. May God bless you abundantly as you grow to know Him more!

In His love,
Lyn Chaffart, Moderator, The Nugget, Scriptural Nuggets website, with Answers2Prayer Ministries
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 13 May 2021, 7:01 pm

I recently saw a video on-line called The Atheist Delusion, featuring interviews by Ray Comfort.  Most of those interviewed were young people, who claimed to be atheists; in their teen years they failed to see believable evidence for the existence of God, and so concluded that belief in Him made no sense.  There was a desire for compelling evidence to change their minds, and Ray continued by showing them incidences of intelligent design for the amazing life and creation which circles around us daily.

I feel so troubled by widespread atheism among young people.  It made me think of Jesus' words in Matthew 5:14-16: "You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven". (ESV)

Have you seen images of the world sent by the international space station, circling silently above us?  The lights of the world's cities can be seen out in space.  Perhaps you have been driving at night on a dark highway, and approach a brightly lit town set high on a hill; even from a distance you can't take your eyes off of it.  The strong beacon of a lighthouse in the night guides ships to a safe harbour and warns of treacherous reefs; no one would even think of covering the beacon or building one where no ship’s crew could see it!

The light of our Lord Jesus is needed now more than ever, because our world is in darkness.  The young people who see no evidence of God's existence need us to show and display a distinct faith, because we can’t affect the world for God if we are too much like it to be noticed.  Christians have received the light of salvation and God’s guidance, but we can't just live for ourselves; we need others to shine that light to!  Jesus does not produce secret Christians; He knew they would be tempted to hide their light rather than attract the attention and enmity of those who hate God's truth.

We are to take up the amazing opportunities which the world's crisis provides, and live so that people will see the beautiful change that God’s love makes in our lives.  Those who are lost can find the road home.  Can you pray today for someone who has no faith?  Pray that God will lead you to speak to someone who needs compelling evidence that He lives.  Be the city on the hill.

Prayer:  Sing with me:  Jesus bids us shine with a pure, clear light, like a little candle burning in the night.  In this world of darkness, so let us shine -- you in your small corner, and I in mine. (S. Warner, 1819-1885).  Thank you, Lord, for the light which shines in our hearts; let us not live to ourselves but be guided to others to shine to.  Amen.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
Looking for tips on how to witness to your non-christian friends and family?  Check out "Fishers of men!" a two-part mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 08 May 2021, 9:05 pm

I don't feel worthy today.

I don't feel worthy to write this devotional or to carry out this ministry God has given me.

Why?

Because I disappointed God yesterday.

It was one of those days. I snapped and snarled at those I love; I made others around me acutely aware of their deficits; I worried; I fretted; I doubted God's goodness; I selfishly put my own desires ahead of the needs of others; I nagged; I put worldly things above the things I could hear God calling me to do; I strove to be in control; I allowed myself to feel superior ...

Well, you get the picture, for I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had days like this.

I'm also sure I'm not the only one out there who wants to please God in everything I do, and as a result, perhaps you can understand why I don't feel worthy today...

And now God is calling me to write a devotional. How can I do that when I have been such a disappointment to Him? How can I put down words on how we should live, when in my own life, I am so far from that goal? Isn't it presumptuous of me that anyone could learn from a sinner like me? Aren't I being a bit pious? A bit hypocritical?

If you've ever felt this way, then you need the same gentle, heavenly "nudge" that God just gave me. You also need to remember the following:

* No one is perfect: "For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. " (Rom. 3:23 NLT)

* God loves us in our imperfection: "But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. " (Rom. 5:8 NLT)

* God does not condemn us: "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. " (John 3:17 NLT); "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. " (Romans 8:1 NLT)

* If God does not condemn us, then why should we condemn ourselves? "Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one for God himself has given us right standing with himself.  Who then will condemn us? " (Romans 8:34 NLT)

Okay, I get it; but doesn't this still disqualify me from ministry? At least at this moment in time?

I think the real question here is this: Can sinners still be used by God? To answer this, we need to take a look at just a few of the examples in the old testament:

* God gave a prophetic dream to the wicked king Nebuchadnezzar (See Daniel 2);

* God called a doubter, Gideon, to save a Israel (See Judges 6);

* God gave specific and important instructions and prophecies to Elijah, someone who was running away in fear (See 1 Kings 19);

* God included a prostitute, Rehab, in Jesus' bloodline (See Joshua 2, Matt. 1:5);

* God used a coward, Jonah, to save a nation (See Jonah 1-4).

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. If God were to only use perfect people, people who never disappoint Him, He wouldn't have anyone on this earth to choose from, would He?

Then there's the Great Commission: "I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age. " (Matt. 28:18b-20 NLT)

Notice there aren't any qualifiers in this. Jesus doesn't say this is for the perfect. He doesn't say this is only for those who never disappoint Him. He simply says to "go"!

But how can I, feeling as unworthy as I do, truly do His will?

This is the catch, actually.

"I" can't!

But it isn't about what "I" can do, is it? It’s about what "He" can do through me! My job isn't to be perfect, my job is to humbly submit myself to Him, confess my sins, surrender “my” will to Him, and then let Him use me.

And that is what I've attempted to do this morning.

What is God calling YOU to do?

Remember that any feelings of unworthiness are unfounded. These are simply ploys of the devil to keep us from doing His will! Truth says that you are God's child (See John 1:12), redeemed (See Eph. 1:7), forgiven (See 1 John 1:9) and covered with Jesus' righteousness (See Isaiah 61:10); and perhaps, most importantly, you am called (See Matt. 28:18-20). That doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about the times when we fall short of God's desire for how I live my life, for we are told to, "...strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. " (Heb. 12:1b NLT). It simply means that God is big enough to be able to use us to His glory, despite our faults!

Praise God!

Don't let anything put you off track from running the race God has set before you. Instead, rely on the One who has promised to give us everything we need to do His will, for "…I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. " (Phil. 4:13 NLT)

In His love,

Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author — “Aboard God's Train — A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer”, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Cor. 9:8)

Wait a minute: If God promises abundance, then why do I have all this need? Click here to find out!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 06 May 2021, 1:55 pm

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands." (2 Timothy 1:6 NIV)

During the long dark winter months, I use a headlamp when I am outside doing morning chores. Sometimes however I find that seeing things as clearly as I need to is difficult. The morning seems even darker than usual. When this happens, I have learned to recharge the batteries in my headlamp when I get back into the house making the next days' chores so much easier to do.

Recharging our spiritual batteries is also important if we want to enjoy the brightest and clearest relationship with can with God through Christ. A relationship that produces maturity within us as well as empowering us to use our gifts and talents to their utmost for God's Kingdom and the wellbeing of others.

But how do we do this? Paul admonished Timothy to fan into flame the gift of God. Timothy was the one who had to do something. God had already done it. He had given the gift when Timothy came to Christ and Paul laid his hands upon him.

1 Corinthians 12 reveals that each of us was given a spiritual gift too when we came to Christ and that we need to use our gifts according to what we have been given. But sometimes that can be difficult to do as there are many things which can cause the brightness of our gifts to become diminished. Our once bright light for Christ begins to dim and we discover that our attitude toward working for God has become dull or ho hum. We feel tired, afraid, discouraged, anxious or even worn out. Our spiritual batteries need some help.

And here are some things which I have found are great battery rechargers:

- Get enough rest
- Eat properly
- Exercise
- Take time for yourself to do the things you enjoy and lift you up
- Try reading from a different version of the Bible, it is amazing the way you can see the same old
    verses in a brand new way
- Make sure to stay in touch with Christian friends and discuss the things of God with them
    not just this that or the other thing
- Pray and worship with others and have them pray for you
- Take every thought captive to Christ that our minds can be renewed according to God's will
- Query God to search your heart to see if there is anything within it that needs changing or        
    confessing
- Ask God to open new doors for the use of your gifts and talents and then be prepared to go
    through them
- Request the Holy Spirit to empower you with Christ's enthusiasm for the work of God.
- Be resolved to keep going, to press on toward the goal Christ has set before you, to fan into
    flame the gift of God within you.

Recharged batteries give off the brightest and clearest light in the darkness. Just as recharged spiritual batteries keep our God given gifts fanned into flames that bring the warmth and brightness of Christ's love into a darkened world.

Prayer: Dear Lord, we thank You for the gifts You have blessed us with. May we take care of them and ourselves by doing the necessary things to recharge them on a regular basis. Grant us wisdom, guidance and motivation to keep fanning into flame Your gifts within us. In Christ's name we pray. Amen.

Lynne Phepps
Atlin, B.C.

Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 05 May 2021, 10:41 pm

The Rescue

May 5, 2021

[size]
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

~ Galatians 6:9-10 NIV ~[/size]

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 2 Raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=2e9d598e-399b-5e90-1c41-f50076017a00&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBbpSVmqVp7Mb1q_UYn7twkRB1-qIdDQsPsbO8JXArPhA02Acmnr9mgmTGCL79S-UbQGYHG5zZROOYeWZBW-NzAx

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." (Galatians 6:9-10 NIV)

Not long ago, a visitor here in Atlin, British Columbia, Canada, who was suffering with Alzheimer's, became lost. He wandered away from the home of friends where he was staying.

The Search and Rescue team immediately went into action. The person who found this gentleman, however, was a young teenager out riding on his quad. He had heard about the search, and thus, when he encountered this man, he recognized that he was the one who was lost. He stopped, dismounted, and escorted the fellow back to safety. No one knows what may have happened if this conscientious young man had not been on the lookout and helped this gentleman.

Likewise, God calls each one of us to be on the lookout in regard to opportunities to do good to others, both within and outside of the family of believers. Sometimes, people become lost in grief, depression, anger, unbelief, or complacency, just to name a few situations. Sometimes, they are total strangers to us; other times, we may know them well. Whichever the case, the Lord desires that we seek always to be sensitive to His Holy Spirit, who is able to alert us to people struggling within stressful situations. When He does, let us also remember that He is also able to show us how to minister to them within their need.

Today is a brand-new day, and each one of us has the opportunity to be on the lookout for those whom God knows need our help. May we each pray for our hearts to be open to the leading of His Spirit, that we may do good to all people, that as many as possible might be encouraged, helped, uplifted, and, yes, even restored to well-being in Him.

Prayer: Father God, may we not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, may we do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. In Christ's name, we ask. Amen.

Lynne Phipps
Atlin, British Columbia, Canada

Announcements

Has God answered any of your prayers lately? We are currently seeking answered prayers on the Sermon Illustrator Please consider writing them up and submitting them here. You never know when your answered prayer will serve to strengthen someone else's faith!  

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 04 May 2021, 9:37 pm

Dallas Willard tells a touching story about a young boy who needed some assurance.

At night, unable to sleep, he went into his daddy's room and crawled into his bed. But because it was dark he couldn't tell if his dad was facing him or not.

"Is your face turned toward me, Father?" he asked. The dad, either still awake, or having been woken by his son, replied, "Yes, my face is turned toward you."*

Not only did the boy want to be closer to his dad, but he wanted his dad to be facing him. It made a difference. It gave him assurance and comfort. Close.

For the past two days I've been talking about growing closer to God. There are definitely things we can do to make that happen. But it's essential to remember that the only reason it's possible is because God had made the first move. In Christ he has come close in a very personal, tangible and loving way. This is central to the message of Christmas.

Because of the love God "has lavished on us" we can "be called children of God!" (1 John 3:1)

In Christ, the face of your heavenly Father is turned toward you. The one who made you is for you.

You are loved, you have value, and you are his.

Matthew Ruttan

Announcements
If you are feeling drawn into a closer relationship with God, but you're not sure how to go about this, email us and we'll be happy to try and help you!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 01 May 2021, 10:14 pm

Dependency? Submission? You're Really Asking THAT of Me?
May 1, 2021

I wasn't going to write a devotional this morning. I didn't feel motivated, and besides, I didn't know what to write about (and as I begin this, I still don't!). But God had different ideas. He appears to want to give me a lesson in total submission and dependence, which, of course, are the prerequisites for receiving His wisdom, guidance and direction in life.

As I type that, I think that the thing that keeps me from receiving His wisdom, His guidance and His direction is the two prerequisites: submission and dependency. These are not ideas that are seen as positive in our societies. We teach that we must not be dependent on anyone, but we must stand up for ourselves. And I don't see this as contradictory to what God wants for us. The problem is, we only see submission and dependency from an earthly perspective...

But what if...

What if we had someone who we could truly depend upon, someone who knew what was best for us and only reacted towards us with utmost love? What if depending upon that person provided us with power to overcome life's difficulties? What if that dependency ensured us of always making the right choices in life? 

What if we had someone who truly deserves our submission? Someone who would not abuse it, but, once submitted, would treat us as equals, would honor and bless us?

What if these two scenarios were actually true and descriptive of the same person? Wouldn't we be happy to submit to that person? Wouldn't we be happy to depend upon them?

In all realty, we do have someone who truly deserves our submission, who won't abuse it, who will honor and bless us, not because we deserve it but because He loves us. We do have someone worthy of our dependency, One who wants to provide us with power to overcome life's difficulties and desires to ensure we are always making the right choices in life. That Someone is God, our all-loving, all-powerful, all-knowing, always-present Heavenly Father who loved us enough to make a way for us to be rejoined to Him.

So what's keeping us from submitting to Him? What's causing us to refuse to depend upon Him?

Of late, God has been calling me deeper into a relationship with Him. This means, of course, that I must submit my all to Him, I must become totally dependent upon Him, but something is stopping me... As I was praying about this yesterday, I asked God about it. His response was instantly placed on my heart: Fear!

In a nutshell, we're afraid of losing control. We, as humans, value control. We can't be in control when we submit, and when we depend upon someone or something, we are certainly not in control! And bad things happen when we aren't in control, right? I mean, we certainly aren't in control of the deadly Corona Virus, and we can still see how awful things have become! 

And to take it a step further, all the bad things happening in the world are outside of our control!

I'll admit, I argued a bit with God here. Maybe I like control a bit too much, but I’m not afraid of my loving Heavenly Father!

God's response? "Are you truly unafraid? Do you truly believe that I have your best interest in heart? Do you truly understand that I will always be there for you, protect you, provide for you, even if the earthly things you depend upon now are no longer there? If you were truly free of fear, you would not have trouble submitting to My will and depending upon Me!"

In that instant, God revealed to me how dependent I had become on my lifestyle, on my possessions, on my status, and I began to understand how materialistic I have become. Is this why I’m having trouble going to the next level of submissions? Am I afraid God might call me out of my little comfort zone?

Naturally, I have this fear because God has called me out of my comfort zone time and time again...But wait! During each of those times, did He not provide for me? Did He not give me the courage/energy/wisdom/etc. that the situation called for? And at the end, did any of these times go wrong?

No. Not at all. God is, indeed, dependable, He keeps all His promises.

Oh God, help me to put all the "what ifs" and "but then"s into Your hands. Help me to surrender my fears to you. Help me to put aside all of the things I depend upon now and instead, turn to depending fully upon You. Help me to surrender completely into Your will, for only there will I find the fullness of joy that You have for me. Help me to fully embrace the Truth of Your Word: "You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever." (Ps. 16:11 NASB)

Wait! If God can pull together this devotional out of nothing, how much more can He pull our lives together, giving us the direction and guidance and wisdom we require?

Think about it!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author — "Aboard God's Train — A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
SUBMISSIONS WELCOMED!!!

Has God given you a special message? Why not share it with The Nugget and its subscribers? The Nugget welcomes any and all Bible-based devotional submissions under 1000 words. Please include at least ONE BIBLE TEXT in your submission, and send it here!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:05 pm

My brother lives in the Ottawa Valley, by a lake nicknamed the Lake of Storms. Often choppy, the wind can whip the water into high waves and whitecaps quickly. All wise boaters know when to go ashore! This pales, though, in comparison to storms at sea.

"Others went out on the sea in ships; they were merchants on the mighty waters. They saw the works of the Lord, his wonderful deeds in the deep. For he spoke and stirred up a tempest that lifted high the waves. Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven." (Psalm 107:23-25,28-30 NIV)

Storms rage in our lives, be they physical, emotional, spiritual, or financial, stemming from relationships -- or pandemics. Do we look at such unsettled times and assume that God is judging us or punishing us for something, like forgetting to pray that morning, or that He forgot to protect us that day? How human it is to stare with fear at high winds and waves, forgetting that He is a God of love and goodness, and that He will always rescue us.

Physical storms here on earth have no effect on heaven! Because Jesus knew that the Father was watching over Him, He was able to sleep on a boat in a raging storm on the Sea of Galilee. The disciples, some of them experienced fishermen, saw it differently: the storm was too dangerous; Jesus' power over nature was limited; and He didn't really care about them. Yet they had seen Him perform mighty miracles! The real basis of our faith is a trusting relationship with God. Miracles are wonderful to see, but a real heart change comes when we see God for who He is: the One who rules the storm and saves lives.

Jesus came to atone for our sin, so that by repentance, we can live a new life. When we believe in Him, it's easier to hope in the midst of the storm, when all light is gone, and the miracles are forgotten. Our God is able to calm any tempest, but the storms of the heart are harder to ease. We may get sprayed and lose our balance, but the biggest danger is to jump ship and try to swim alone to shore. God is with us in the storm, and He will carry us through, so don't abandon ship!

"But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." (James 1:6 – NIV)

Prayer: Lord, give us believing and trusting hearts, our eyes ever fixed on You in faith during the storms of life. May we rest in peace and security, knowing that You always guide us home. Amen.

Shirley Moulton
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Announcements
Are you blessed by the Nugget articles? Why not check out its mother site, www.scripturalnuggets.org for the latest devotionals and mini-sermons?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 27 Apr 2021, 8:35 pm

"Look here, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.' How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog--it's here a little while, then it's gone. What you ought to say is, 'If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.'" (James 4:13-15 NLT)

When I was a boy I dreamed of my future. I was going to be a cowboy. I loved all the old westerns on television. Then I dreamed of being a sailor and a soldier and fighting epic battles. After that I dreamed of being a fire fighter and rescuing people from burning buildings. I just couldn't wait to grow up and be an adult. Then I went to college and those dreams changed. I thought I would be a psychologist, then I switched to being a teacher, and I also wanted to be a best selling author. When I married and had children my dreams of the future changed again.

Now it wasn't so much a certain career that I dreamed of but a time when I could be settled and secure and my family and I would finally be problem free.

That dream, of course, didn't happen. In fact, none of those dreams ever came to life. It took me many years as well to realize that living in a dream future was living in an illusion and that each moment I spent there was taking a moment away from the precious Now. I saw that there could be no perfect, problem free future because problems are a part of life. And I realized that I was wasting my days wishing for some dream to come true when I could be fully living and loving each day God gives me.

It is only in the Now that we can truly live. It is only in the Now that we can truly love. Our dreams for the future are just that: dreams. Whether they come true or not isn't as important as how we live each day God gives us here. A hug shared today can never be replaced. An act of kindness not given now is lost forever. A moment of love missed can never be made up again.

Each second of the Now is precious and priceless. Don't waste a one of them. Embrace them. Live them. Love them all. Always live in the Now with a heart full of love, a soul full of joy, and a life full of kindness.

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements
The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. Please click here for Study #1 -- JESUS AND NICODEMUS; Study #2 -- THE WOMAN AT THE WELL; Study #3 -- AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA; Study #4 -- THE BREAD OF LIFE; Study #5 -- The Shepherd and His Flock; and Study #6 -- The Vine and the Branches.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 24 Apr 2021, 7:49 pm

I don't mind driving, even long distances, and it's a good thing, because my husband's vision has deteriorated to the point that it isn't safe for him to drive on unfamiliar roads. The only thing that bothers me about driving is that I tend to get sleepy. Over the years, my husband and I have come up with multiple ways to help me stay alert at the wheel. This ranges from opening and closing the windows to doing mental math to snacking to listening to music and loud singing (his poor ears!). Sometimes, however, there is absolutely nothing that will make my eyelids stay in the upward position, and then is when I have to pull over and take a power nap. Unfortunately, those "power nap" times never seem to happen when there is a safe place to pull off the road...

I was in desperate need of a power nap on a long and lonely backroad of Texas last January; but other than the narrow shoulder, there was no place to pull off. Suddenly I saw red flashing lights coming up behind me... A highway patrolman wasn't particularly happy that I was about 10 mph over the speed limit... Fortunately he only gave me a warning, but the experience woke me up for the next three hours.

It was a long, long haul that day, and a bit later, as evening was coming on, I was again in that "I need a power nap...now!" state. Alertness came again upon me, this time in the form of road construction and border patrol check stops. Thanks to these two normally-not-welcome distractions, we made it safely to our hotel. 

The Bible also talks about difficulties with sleepiness: "Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten bridesmaids who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. The five who were foolish didn't take enough olive oil for their lamps, but the other five were wise enough to take along extra oil. When the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep." (Matt. 25:1-5 NLT)

Although five of these ladies were considered "foolish" and the other five, "wise", notice that all of them fell asleep! 

How about you? Are you a "sleepy" Christian? Are you blinded by apathy and complacency? Are you numbed to the world's needs by materialism and selfish pursuits? I know that I certainly am in that boat. The sad thing is that although I recognize my sleepiness at the wheel and do things to fight it off, I usually don't recognize that I'm spiritually asleep until something hits close to home! Take, for example, the recent COVID-19 pandemic. Oh, it saddened me in its early stages, and it was the subject of a few prayers, but I have to admit that it wasn't until COVID-19 began ravaging parts of the world where I had family or friends that I was suddenly jarred awake and began to pray more fervently. 

And I'm afraid I fall into the same trap when it comes to world hunger, human trafficking, etc. I'm ashamed to admit that it doesn't really start working on me until it begins touching someone I care about…

Is this an isolated problem? Not at all. Jesus warns strongly about falling asleep spiritually. He told His disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane: "Couldn't you watch with me even one hour? Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!" (Matt. 26:40b,41 NLT). 

His warning becomes even stronger in the message to the church in Sardis: "I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive--but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is almost dead." (Rev. 3:1b-2a NLT). This spiritual sleepiness leads Him to say, "I find that your actions do not meet the requirements of my God." (vs. 2b NLT). He then goes on to say, "If you don't wake up, I will come to you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief." (vs. 3b NLT).  

So how do we stay spiritually awake? 

The same way I stay awake at the wheel: we recognize it is a potential problem and we fight it, [all] the time. Just like I snack, sing, do mental math and play with the windows in the car, we need to feed ourselves regularly upon the Word of God. We need to, "Keep watch and pray, so that [we] will not give in to temptation." (Matt. 26:41a NLT). We need to follow Jesus' advice to the church of Sardis: "Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly. Repent and turn to me again." (Rev. 3:3a NLT). This means we need to ask God to fill us with His love for the world, and we need to pray against our apathy, our complacency and our materialism. 

For if we don't, we may find ourselves in the hands of the spiritual "highway patrol", and we may find ourselves face road blocks in life...

Let's be wiser than the five wise bridesmaids. Let's have an extra pot of oil (read, "Holy Spirit") for our spiritual lamps, and let's do everything in our power to -- stay awake!

In His love,
Lyn 

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author — "Aboard God's Train — A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
The blood of Jesus: It is amazing in its healing and protective qualities. Have you been covered with Jesus' blood? If not, why not do so today? You can do so in one of three ways:
1. You can view our Salvation video;
2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Don't wait! Do it today!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 22 Apr 2021, 11:08 pm

How can it happen? Whether we're in a crowd or in the darkness of a silent room the battle to overcome loneliness begins.

I was stunned. CNN reported yesterday that among thousands of entries, my hometown, La Paz, Bolivia, where I was born and spent my childhood was named the No. 1 wonder of the world.

But let me share a native's point of view. In La Paz, being the highest capital in the world because of its altitude, visitors can become deathly ill due to the decreased amount of oxygen. On the other hand, on a sunny day, the vibrant shade of sky blue that canopies over the city is breathtaking.

La Paz is built inside a sort of moon crater. Houses of all kinds dot the mountains that surround the city. And at night, a visitor may seem as if he were inside a gigantic Christmas tree. The lights that splash all the way to the mountain tops seem to blend with the stars in the sky, creating a unique splendor.

But how sad. That closeness is a contrast to the distance we feel from God when loneliness attacks. When we feel abandoned, we can't help but imagine God to be distant and abstract. We believe the lie that repeats we have no one. God has forgotten us. And we have no way to overcome loneliness.

Here are three not-so-secret ways to wipe out these lies:

1. In the silence, in the still of the moment God is present because His Word says that "...neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38, 39 NIV).

2. If we're in God's company, we have already conquered the army--fear, anxiety and depression--that equip loneliness: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NIV).

3. Embracing God's promise ushers hope that tomorrow new things will come about. He promised: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:18-19 NIV).

Let's Pray: Father, while in the wasteland of loneliness or the desert of despair I declare that tomorrow you will bring about new ways, new paths and new open doors. I wait in anticipation for the loneliness that burdens my days to turn to the peace that comes from you. The reassurance that your promises carry. And I will be filled with the joy that doesn't flow from others but from you. I count on the power of your love. In Jesus's name, amen.

Have you experienced loneliness lately?

What brings about your loneliness?

How will you receive God's comfort to overcome loneliness today?

Janet Eckles

If this message resonated with you, please visit Janet's cyberspace home for more inspiration.

Announcements
Are you battling lonliness and depression? Why not check out other devotionals addressing this problem?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum