World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 11:18 pm by Admin

» AISH
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» israelAM
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 10:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 9:54 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyYesterday at 9:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm by Admin

» Pressure from UN Threats
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:45 pm by Admin

» Ship that obliterated Baltimore bridge
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Admin

» Be Fervent in Spirit
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Remain in God - iBelieve Truth
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 1:25 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024, 12:43 am by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptyMon 25 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

» Is Gaza Really Starving
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  EmptySun 24 Mar 2024, 10:08 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.

Go down

Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  Empty Re: Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.

Post  Admin Wed 29 Jan 2020, 2:15 pm

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/islamophobia-and-antisemitism-go-hand-in-hand-warn-child-refugees-of-genocide/
Islamophobia and antisemitism go hand in hand, warn child refugees of genocide
Kindertransport survivor Vera Schaufeld and Bosnian refugee survivor Safet Vukalic share their testimony in interview with Jewish News ahead of Holocaust Memorial Day
By MATHILDE FROT
January 26, 2020, 9:23 am
Vera Schaufeld and Safet Vukalic (Credit: Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, Grainge Photography)
One of 669 children rescued on Sir Nicholas Winton’s Kindertransport, Vera fled the Nazi invasion of the former Czechoslovakia at the age of nine. She waved goodbye to her parents from the train window as they stood behind the barriers at Prague Station. That was the last time she saw either of them. They were murdered in Trawniki, a sub-camp of Majdanek (Lublin) extermination camp. Vera, now a grandmother of four, received an MBE from Prince William last year for services to Holocaust education.

Safet was 16 when soldiers stormed into his native Prijedor in 1992 to arrest all non-Serbian and non-Orthodox Christian men in the Bosnian town (he is Muslim). His father and older brother were deported to several concentration camps, but survived. Safet and the rest of his family escaped Bosnia in stages and were reunited in London in 1994. Now an accounts assistant and dad of two, he was awarded a BEM for services to genocide education in the 2020 New Year Honours.

Gathered around the coffee table in Vera’s living room, the two look back as the world marks 25 years since the Srebrenica massacre and the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz–Birkenau.

Get The Jewish News Daily Edition by email and never miss our top storiesFREE SIGN UP
Jewish News: You both fled before some of the worst atrocities. Has that experience influenced your determination to mark Holocaust Memorial Day?

Safet: I left in the middle of it, in the summer of 1993, after everything kicked off in May 1992, so I spent some time there during the war and concentration camps. It’s the fact that I’ve been lucky enough. My dad survived three concentration camps, my brother survived two. We’ve all survived, we’ve all managed to get out. Justice is a hard thing to ask for, but it’s that sense of recognition. You want to make sure people know what happened, but also hopefully that the people who did this finally say, “yes, the regime at the time did this.”

Vera aged nine on her way to England
Vera: I felt this commitment for a very long time because my experience of having to leave my family and my home always seemed to me somehow lesser than the terrible experience of my husband, who, at the age of 13 in Poland, lost his education and spent his adolescence in Auschwitz, Buchenwald and many forced labour camps. So it took me a long time to really feel that my Kindertransport – which hadn’t been easy, and I lost my family, and so on – was as meaningful in its own way for me as the unimaginable experiences that my husband suffered.

JN: Vera, your parents sent you on the Kindertransport. What was that like, and how important is it to pay tribute to them?

Vera: My mother met me outside school, which was very unusual, and took me to a park and sat me on a little bench and said that they couldn’t leave Czechoslovakia – they didn’t have permission – but told me there were trains taking children to a country called England, which I’d never heard of. And that I would be with a family who would look after me, but as soon as they could, my parents would join me. They’d had to give £50 for the English government, so that anywhere in the world where they might be, the money would be there for me to join them. My mother explained this to me and said that, you know, we would be together as soon as possible. But in the meantime, I had to be very brave and go to this country called England.

Vera Schaufeld with her MBE for services to Holocaust education
Safet: In school before the war, when it came to the Holocaust, to us it was a history lesson. You learn the number of people who were killed, where concentration camps were, those kinds of things. You never had contact with individuals. When I started working with the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, I had the honour and pleasure of meeting a number of survivors and then realising they were younger than I was during the  Bosnian War… Leaving your parents behind or your siblings, this is not something you want to happen to anyone.

JN: Safet, you’ve said your mother saved your life. Can you tell us what happened?

Safet: I always say that my mum saved my life because of what happened when soldiers came to our street and called for all men to come out, meaning all non-Serbs – it was a predominantly Muslim area. So all the men started walking up the road, with soldiers saying: “We’ll just question you and you’ll be returned.” You don’t argue with the army. 

I was 16 at the time, so I was quite tall. I used to say up until recently that my mum shouted at me, but I can’t say that [laughs]. So I’ve changed it to “My mum raised her voice at me.” She said, “Come back, you’re just a child. What are they gonna do with you?” So I just went back to the house. And I believe that saved my life. Had I gone, I believe I wouldn’t have had the strength to deal with what you have to deal with to survive the concentration camps.

JN: You’ve also praised the actions of Bosnian Serbs who helped you.

Safet:  In terms of the neighbours and friends who were Serbs, a soldier who was a friend of a friend came over one day. This was when my dad and brother were in a concentration camp. He came over for coffee and, during our conversation, I mentioned I had bronchitis. And this guy, who I’d never met before, when everyone had left, came back with medication for me…
It is one of the things I tend to mention  when I’m talking about what
the Serbian regime did; I did not forget the individuals who tried, in a way, to make a difference. 

Vera: I just wanted to say to you that my daughter’s Bosnian friend had a Muslim mother and a Christian Serb father, so that means in a period before that people could intermarry. And then when this started, you know, it was impossible for her parents, and she and her boyfriend got to England, but it was a terrible thing to be living in Serbia in a split family.

Safet: Yes, so many examples. Some people thought things weren’t going to kick off in Bosnia because of that… It was so mixed in terms of the families, the friendships. Our neighbour was a Muslim married to a Serbian woman who was Orthodox Christian. She even had a sign at her house saying ‘Serbian house’, but he was still taken to a concentration camp. He was badly beaten – I think half of his ear was missing.

Vera: Unimaginable…

JN: Are Jewish and Muslim communities doing enough together to preserve the memories of genocides?

Safet: It’s been very pleasing to see the engagement of both communities to remember the Holocaust and genocide in Bosnia, and learn from it, not just on the anniversary dates, but throughout the year.

Vera:  We are still in a situation where other communities are suffering and having terrible, terrible times, and I especially value what the charity Safe Passage is doing in trying to help children, and a lot of them I think are Muslim, who are living in appalling conditions and trying to join their families who are in England.

JN: Will the memories of the Holocaust and Srebrenica be passed on?

Safet: That’s the one thing I’m hoping for… and that there will be more of an understanding of how these things start so you can hopefully prevent things from getting worse when they do start, but also understand what people go through and make sure there is more respect towards immigrants and refugees. We didn’t ask for these things. We didn’t ask to leave Czechoslovakia and Bosnia, and to be used and abused for someone’s political game is really hard to watch.

It’s been a struggle to watch these things recently, and it seems to be getting worse, the rise of Islamophobia and antisemitism, which goes hand in hand. And that’s what people need to realise, it’s not one or the
other. It’s both of them and not just in Europe. If you look at the US and what happened inNew Zealand, everywhere, it’s on the rise. We need to do more to make sure people understand what that does to the victims, the survivors, especially children. My best years as a 16-year-old shouldn’t have been spent dealing with war.

Vera: The work the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust and the Holocaust Educational Trust are doing is absolutely vital. More and more people are becoming involved and are beginning to understand what’s happening. And I like you have found it so valuable to go into schools and to get the kind of positive reaction.
Vera aged nine on her way to England, and inset, Safet as a youngster
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  Empty Re: Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.

Post  Admin Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:54 pm

Mike Pence’s perfect response to the Holocaust
By Phil Schneider - January 27, 2020 4241 0
https://israelunwired.com/mike-pences-perfect-response-to-the-holocaust/

Vice President Mike Pence is a person who genuinely cares about religion. He publicly stated before he was nominated to be the Vice Presidential candidate for Donald Trump that he is first a religious person, and only after that a politician. Everything relating to religion with him is genuine. He properly focused on what matters most in his speech in Jerusalem. We must learn the lessons of the Holocaust when dealing with the new-old threats of anti-semitism.

Boost this video to reach up to 1000 people
“May the memory of the martyrs be enshrined in the hearts of all humanity for all time. May God bless the Jewish people, may God bless the State of Israel and the United States of America. Oseh shalom bimromav. Hu ya’aseh shalom aleinu. V’al kol Yisrael V’imru: Amen.” Tweeted by Vice President Mike Pence

Most of the Presidents of the United States of America in the 20th and 21st century have not been very religious people. The most religious President may have very well been Harry S. Truman. He also turned out to be the most consequential President of the United States for the State of Israel. In the most critical time, in 1947 and 1948, as the State of Israel was in the midst of being established, he stood up against massive pressure from the State Department – specifically from Secretary Marshall, and supported the establishment of the State of Israel. Many historians believe that it was his deep religious beliefs that drove him to take such a bold stand. Was it also connected to the horrors of the Holocaust that had gone on a mere 3 years earlier? Yes. President Truman said so very clearly. He said that if there was ever a group of people who deserved there own state, it was the Jewish people. Vice President Mike Pence is a mid-Westerner with similar attitudes as President Truman. He would make a great follow-up act to President Trump in 2024.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Jan 2020, 9:31 pm

Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  6milli10Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  Winchu10Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  27janu10

Indifference or Collaboration: Which One is the Road to Auschwitz?
Jan 25, 2020  |  by Rabbi Benjamin Blech
https://www.aish.com/ci/s/Indifference-or-Collaboration-Which-One-is-the-Road-to-Auschwitz.html?s=mm
Does indifference to evil make you complicit?
On the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, on January 27 of this year, remembering isn't enough. To remember is merely to record what was; it does not ensure that there will be no comparable sequel.

Less than a century after we recognized the depths to which supposedly civilized human beings could sink as they sought to carry out a “final solution” of barbaric genocide, we are again witnessing the rise of a similar kind of anti-Semitism to the sickness of Nazi Germany. And merely mouthing the post-World War II slogan of “never again” or building hundreds of memorials to the six million will do nothing to prevent a repeat of the Holocaust unless we take to heart the real lessons we need to take away from a moment in history that brings shame to mankind.

How did Auschwitz happen? How was it possible for a cultured society to countenance concentration camps, crematoria and death factories? How could madness become acceptable to a sane and civilized world?

In a remarkable article in the New York Times last week by Rivka Weinberg, a philosophy professor, the author asks us to change our perspective from the moral message we've been teaching for years as take away from the horrors of the Holocaust. The gist of her argument is captured in the title to her piece: “The road to Auschwitz wasn’t paved with indifference.”

Weinberg asserts that we don’t have to be heroes to avoid genocides. We just have to make sure not to help them along.
Weinberg takes issue with the historian Ian Kershaw who wrote “The road to Auschwitz was built by hate but paved with indifference.” Weinberg asserts no, it was built with collaboration. The Nazis succeeded wherever anti-Semitism was entrenched, where Jew hatred was endemic. Her conclusion: “The truth about how massive moral crimes occur is both unsettling and comforting. It’s unsettling to accept how many people participated in appalling moral crimes but comforting to realize that we don’t have to be heroes to avoid genocides. We just have to make sure not to help them along.”

According to her, what we are to take away from the Holocaust has nothing to do with the sin of indifference. Silence in the face of evil should not be blamed.

“The belief that atrocities happen when people aren’t educated against the evils of bystanding has become part of our culture and how we think we’re learning from history. ‘Don’t be a bystander!’ we’re exhorted. ‘Be an upstander!’ we teach our children. But that’s all a big mistake. All of it: It’s false that doing nothing creates moral catastrophes; it’s false that people are generally indifferent to the plight of others; it’s false that we can educate people into heroism; and it’s false that if we fail to transmit these lessons another Holocaust is around the corner.”

What then is the message?

"Next time the murderers come, it’s understandable if it’s too much to ask for us to risk our lives, our children, or even our jobs, to save others. Just don’t welcome the murderers, don’t help them organize the oppression or make it “less terrible” (that won’t work anyway), and don’t turn people in. That will usually be enough."

To which I can only add, yes that will usually be enough - enough to let the murderers succeed, to let the killings proceed without interruption, to permit the crimes to become so much a part of daily life that soon after having been originally met with silence they will no longer even have the ability to stir the conscience or move the hearts of indifferent viewers.

It is hard to believe that a distance of 75 years from Auschwitz can so cloud our vision and distort our perspective that passivity in the face of evil – simply not actively collaborating – frees us from any guilt and is even sufficient to defeat crimes comparable to the Holocaust. Far better to acknowledge the truth as Elie Wiesel understood it: “The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death.”

To do nothing is by definition in effect to collaborate.

Weinberg wants to limit culpability only to collaborators. How can she not understand what J.K. Rowling expressed so powerfully: “Those who choose not to empathize enable real monsters, for without ever committing an act of outright evil ourselves we collude with it through our apathy.”

In other words, to do nothing is by definition in effect to collaborate.

That is what the Torah meant when it commanded us in the book of Leviticus, “Do not stand idly by the blood of your neighbor.” Apathy is a sin. But it is more than a sin. Rollo May concluded that “Apathy adds up, in the long run, to cowardice.” It is the kind of cowardice that empowers evil. It is what makes draconian evil possible.

No one can absolve those who remained passive witnesses while six million were slaughtered in their presence.
No one – not any historian or victim, not any student of the Holocaust – can absolve those who remained passive witnesses while six million were slaughtered in their presence. Even if they didn’t “welcome the murderers, help them organize the oppression, or turn people in”, they carry the mark of Cain on their foreheads.

Weinberg feels we have no right to expect heroism. “Heroism is exceptional, saintly; that’s not who most of us are, nor who most of us can be, so we’re kind of off the hook.” It is a philosophy that preaches the victory of the wicked; human beings can never be counted on to fight on behalf of their better nature. We may be created in the image of God but we can never be expected act as if we are Godly. The most we can hope for is to educate against collaboration. And remarkably enough this acceptance of our imperfection is supposed to ensure we have liberated ourselves from the crematoria of Auschwitz.

No, the world needs a different lesson. It is the only one that can offer us hope. It alone can turn the dream of “never again” into the fulfillment of the vision of universal peace. It is the message that asks us to view our survival as possible only on a foundation of morality, rooted in the awareness of our potential for individual greatness.

As we watch the civilized world slowly begin to sink again into the swamp of hatred and anti-Semitism we need most of all to commit that we will never again be passive observers of evil. As difficult as it may seem, we need to call upon our spiritual and intellectual resources to pledge that Auschwitz will never happen again because we have no choice but this time around to be heroes.

Auschwitz 75 Years Later: Universal Lessons
Jan 26, 2020  |  by Irwin Cotler
https://www.aish.com/jw/s/Auschwitz-75-Years-Later-Universal-Lessons.html?s=mm
With the global resurgence of anti-Semitic incitement, violence and terror, these are the crucial lessons we must take to heart.

I write on the eve of the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz – the most brutal extermination camp of the 20th century – of horrors too terrible to be believed, but not too terrible to have happened.

Of the 1.3 million people murdered at Auschwitz, 1.1 million were Jews. As Elie Wiesel put it, “The Holocaust was a war against the Jews in which not all victims were Jews, but all Jews were victims.”

I write also in the immediate aftermath of the 75th anniversary of the arrest and disappearance of Raoul Wallenberg on January 17, 1945. Wallenberg demonstrated how one person with the compassion to care and courage to act can confront evil, prevail and transform history. It is a tragedy that this hero of the Holocaust who saved so many was not saved by so many who could, and we owe a duty to Raoul Wallenberg to determine the truth of his fate.

I write also on the occasion of a global resurgence of anti-Semitic incitement, violence and terror, and in the midst of ongoing ethnic cleansing and mass atrocity.

And so, at this important historical moment, we should ask ourselves: What have we learned in the last 75 years – and more importantly – what must we do?

Lesson 1: Zachor – the imperative of remembrance

The first lesson is the danger of forgetting – the killing of the victims a second time – and the imperative of remembrance – zachor. As we remember the victims of the Shoah – defamed, demonized and dehumanized as prologue and justification for genocide – we must understand that the mass murder of six million Jews and millions of non-Jews is not a matter of abstract statistics.

As we say at such moments of remembrance, “Unto each person there is a name, each person has an identity, each person is a universe.” As the Talmud reminds us, “Whoever saves a single life, it is as if he or she has saved an entire universe.” Thus, the abiding universal imperative: we are each, wherever we are, the guarantors of each other’s destiny.

Lesson 2: The danger of state-sanctioned incitement to hate and genocide
The genocide of European Jewry – like the genocide of the Tutsi in Rwanda, whose 25th anniversary we just commemorated, and where 10,000 Tutsis were murdered every day for three months – succeeded not only because of the machinery of death, but because of a state-sanctioned ideology of hate. For example, the Jew was seen as the personification of the devil, as the enemy of humankind and humanity could only be redeemed by the death of the Jew.

The Canadian Supreme Court affirmed – and as echoed by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda – “the Holocaust did not begin in the gas chambers – it began with words.” Indeed, in another important principle and precedent, the Supreme Court held that the very incitement to genocide constitutes the crime in and of itself, whether or not acts of genocide follow.

Lesson 3: The danger of the resurgent global anti-Semitism
The third lesson is the danger of anti-Semitism – the oldest and most enduring of hatreds – and the most lethal. If the Holocaust is a metaphor for radical evil, anti-Semitism is a metaphor for radical hatred. Let there be no mistake about it: Jews died at Auschwitz because of anti-Semitism, but anti-Semitism did not die. It remains the bloody canary in the mineshaft of global evil today. And as we have learned only too painfully, while anti-Semitism begins with Jews, it doesn’t end with Jews. As Ahmed Shaheed, the Special Rapporteur for Freedom if Religion and Belief put it in his report to the United Nations, anti-Semitism is a threat not only to Jews but to our common humanity.

Lesson 4: Holocaust denial – from assaultive speech to criminal conspiracy
The Holocaust denial movement – the cutting edge of anti-Semitism old and new – is not just an assault on Jewish memory and human dignity in its accusation that the Holocaust is a hoax; rather, it constitutes an international criminal conspiracy to cover up the worst crimes in history. Here is the historiography of the Holocaust in its most tragic, bitter irony – in its ultimate Orwellian inversion. First, we move from the genocide of the Jewish people, to a denial that the genocide ever took place; then in a classic Orwellian cover up of an international conspiracy, the Holocaust Denial movement whitewashes the crimes of the Nazis, as it excoriates the crimes of the Jews. It not only holds that the Holocaust was a hoax, but maligns the Jews for fabricating the hoax, something which is now being repeated in the genocidal denial in Rwanda.

It is our responsibility to unmask the bearers of false witness – to expose the criminality of the deniers as we protect the dignity of their victims.

Lesson 5: Indifference and inaction in the face of mass atrocity and genocide
These Holocaust crimes, like the genocide of the Tutsis in Rwanda, resulted not only from state-sanctioned incitement to hatred and genocide, but from crimes of indifference, from conspiracies of silence – from the international community as bystander.

Indeed, what makes the Holocaust and the genocide of the Tutsis so unspeakable is not only the horror of the crimes, but that these crimes were preventable. No one can say that we did not know; we knew, but we did not act.

Let there be no mistake about it: Indifference and inaction always means coming down on the side of the aggressor, never the target. In the face of evil, indifference is acquiescence, if not complicity in evil itself.

Lesson 6: The responsibility to bring war criminals to justice
If the last century – symbolized by the Holocaust – was the age of atrocity, it was also the age of impunity. Few of the perpetrators were brought to justice; and so, just as there must be no sanctuary for hate, no refuge for bigotry, there must be no base or sanctuary for these enemies of humankind. In this context, the establishment of the International Criminal Court (ICC) was seen as the most dramatic development in international criminal law since Nuremberg. But the ICC must guard against an abuse of its mandate and mission lest it undermine its very purpose.

Lesson 7: Speaking truth to power
The Holocaust was made possible not only because of the “bureaucratization of genocide,” as Robert Lifton put it – and as the Nazi desk murderer Adolf Eichmann personified – but because of the complicity of the elites, including physicians, church leaders, judges, lawyers, engineers, architects and educators.

Holocaust crimes were also the crimes of the Nuremberg elites. It is our responsibility, then, to speak truth to power, to hold power accountable to truth.

The double entendre of Nuremberg – of the Nuremberg racism and of the Nuremberg principles – must be part of our learning as it is part of our legacy.

Lesson 8: The assault on the vulnerable and powerless
The eighth lesson concerns the vulnerability of the powerless and the powerlessness of the vulnerable, as dramatized at Auschwitz by the remnants of shoes and suitcases, crutches and hair of the murdered. Indeed, it is revealing, as Prof. Henry Friedlander points out in his work titled The Origins of Nazi Genocide that the first group targeted for killing were the Jewish disabled.

It is our responsibility to give voice to the voiceless and to empower the powerless, be they the disabled, poor, elderly, women victimized by violence, or vulnerable children – the most vulnerable of the vulnerable. In a word, the test of a just society is how it treats it’s the most vulnerable among them.

Lesson 9: Violence targeted against women
The Holocaust – and the genocides since – have included horrific crimes against women. Moreover, these crimes have not only attended the genocide or been in consequence of it, but have in fact been in pursuit of it. Yet they remain the still unarticulated horror of the Holocaust, and the genocide of European Jewry.

Seventy-five years later, that lesson remains to be learned – and acted upon – whether we speak of the horrific crimes against women in the Congo or in Syria. We must appreciate that significant numbers of the world’s population are routinely subject to rape, assault, torture, starvation, humiliation, mutilation and even murder simply because they are female.

Lesson 10: Mass atrocities against children
If there is an atrocity that belies understanding – it is the willful exploitation, maiming and killing of a child – the most vulnerable of the vulnerable.

What then, is one to say about the genocide – the mass murder – of children – the destruction of millions of universes, of generations yet unborn and never to be born? As the poet Bialik put it – writing after the Kishinev pogroms in 1905, which killed hundreds of children – “There is no revenge that can be invented for the murder of a child.”

Indeed, the Nazi genocide was the genocide of millions of children, and 1.5 million children perished in the Holocaust of European Jewry. But we have yet to learn from this most horrific of horrors, let alone act upon it – as millions of children the world over are subjected to arbitrary detention, torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment, slavery, execution and recruitment as “child soldiers” incited to terrorize and kill others.

It is our responsibility to ensure that protecting children’s rights is at the core of whatever we do – and therefore, of who we are.

Lesson 11: The rescuers
We must pay tribute to the rescuers, the righteous among the nations, of whom Raoul Wallenberg is metaphor and message. Wallenberg, a Swedish non-Jew, saved more Jews in six months in Hungary in 1944 than almost any single government or organization. Tragically, the man who saved so many was not himself saved by so many who could have. As citizens – particularly from countries where Raoul Wallenberg is an honorary citizen: the US, Canada, Australia and Israel – we have a responsibility to help determine the fate of this great hero of the Holocaust, whom the UN called the Greatest Humanitarian of the twentieth century.

Lesson 12: Holocaust Remembrance and the State of Israel
A compelling refrain that I would often hear from Holocaust survivors – including in my visits to Auschwitz – is that it is not the case that if there had been no Holocaust there would not have been a State of Israel. It is the other way around, and we should never forget it: that if there had been a State of Israel – the indigenous homeland for an indigenous Jewish people, there would not have been a Holocaust or the many horrors of Jewish and human history.

Lesson 13: The legacy of Holocaust survivors
Finally, we must remember – and celebrate – the survivors of the Holocaust, the true heroes of humanity; for they witnessed and endured the worst of inhumanity, but somehow found in the depths of their own humanity, the courage to go on, to rebuild their lives as they helped build our communities.

Together with them, we must remember – and pledge – that never again will we be indifferent to incitement and hate; never again will we be silent in the face of evil; never again will we indulge racism and anti-Semitism; never again will we ignore the plight of the vulnerable; and never again will we be indifferent in the face of mass atrocity and impunity.

We will speak up – and act – against racism, against hate, against anti-Semitism, against mass atrocity, against injustice and against the crime of crimes whose name we should shudder to mention: genocide.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Jan 2020, 9:16 pm

Watch This Amazing Speech and Learn What Jewish Courage is All About
By Phil Schneider - January 26, 2020 3075 0
https://israelunwired.com/watch-this-amazing-speech-and-learn-what-jewish-courage-is-all-about/
“I’m a Jew because I have no patience for leaders who speak and tweet boldly but fail to take the actions necessary to protect our community.” – a jab at Trump?

“I’m a Jew because I do not stand for partisan hacks who claim that anti-semitism is the exclusive domain of their political opponents”

“I’m a Jew because I oppose leaders who believe they can fight Jew hatred while making political alliances with anti-semites” – Linda Sarsour? Ilhan Oman? Louis Farakhan? Anti-Israel movements allying with antisemitic SJP?

“I’m a Jew because the hatred of us has no color, no class, no politics and is of every language” – nice!

“I’m a Jew because Jews do not cause Jew-hatred, ever – wrong, anti-Israel Jews enable the growth of Jew-hatred.”

“Force far greater than Jew-hatred, the force of who we are. The Jewish people were not put on earth to be anti anti-semites. We were put on earth to be Jews. ” – YES! Yet many Jews are only Jewish because there are anti anti-semites. 

The main reason why so many Jews who have little religious orientation still stay somewhat connected to Judaism is due to anti-semitism. This is not a new phenomenon. It was like this in nearly every country that the Jewish people lived in and assimilated into the culture that they lived in. Even when things went really well, the anti-semitic sentiments somehow always came to the fore at some point. Germany was an excellent place to be a Jew in the decades before the rise of Nazism. Poland had millions of Jews living in their midst because it was so good to live there. But it all came crushing down during World War II. Most people who live in the United States today believe that anti-semitism is a major issue, but they don’t think that it can spin out of control in the United States. They are wrong. It can spin out of control anywhere – especially if a major economic downturn were to occur. If you’re not convinced, then search for the talkbacks that happened after one corrupt Jewish banker, Madoff, was exposed. In a matter of days and weeks, the Jewish side of Mr. Madoff became the target of thousands of tirades.
It’s time that people who are Jews by name only search and discover the real nature of their Judaism, and not only deal with the issue once anti-semites remind them of their heritage.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.  Empty Yad Vashem Holocaust Remembrance 75 Years.

Post  Admin Fri 24 Jan 2020, 10:28 pm

Charles at Yad Vashem: Never cease to be appalled, moved, by survivor testimony
Addressing largest international event in Israel’s history, heir to the throne speaks of 'privilege' at meeting survivors, and 'pride' at grandmother being among the Righteous
https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/charles-at-yad-vashem-never-cease-to-be-appalled-moved-by-survivor-testimony/
By JUSTIN COHEN IN ISRAEL
January 23, 2020, 4:40 pm
Britain's Prince Charles speaks during the Fifth World Holocaust Forum at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem, Israel, 23 January 2020. The event marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz under the title 'Remembering the Holocaust: Fighting Antisemitism' is held to preserve the memory of the Holocaust atrocities by Nazi Germany during World War II. Photo by: Yonatan Sindel-JINIPIX
Britain's Prince Charles speaks during the Fifth World Holocaust Forum at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem, Israel, 23 January 2020. The event marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz under the title 'Remembering the Holocaust: Fighting Antisemitism' is held to preserve the memory of the Holocaust atrocities by Nazi Germany during World War II. Photo by: Yonatan Sindel-JINIPIX
They came to Jerusalem from around the world in numbers never seen before – but presidents, prime ministers and royals spoke with one voice in pledging to remember the horrors of the Nazis and the enduring lessons for today.

More than 40 world leaders and 100 survivors were part of the largest international event in Israel’s history – the fifth World Holocaust Forum at Yad Vashem – ahead of the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz on Monday.

“The Holocaust must never be allowed to become simply a fact of history,” said Prince Charles, who was among seven key figures given the honour of addressing the hall, on the first day of his first official visit to Israel.

Get The Jewish News Daily Edition by email and never miss our top storiesFREE SIGN UP
“We must never cease to be appalled, nor moved by the testimony of those who lived through it. Their experience must always educate, and guide, and warn us. The lessons of the Holocaust are searingly relevant to this day. Seventy-five years after the Liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, hatred and intolerance still lurk in the human heart, still tell new lies, adopt new disguises, and still seek new victims.

“All too often, language is used which turns disagreement into dehumanisation. Words are used as badges of shame to mark others as enemies, to brand those who are different as somehow deviant. All too often, virtue seems to be sought through verbal violence. All too often, real violence ensues, and acts of unspeakable cruelty are still perpetrated around the world against people for reasons of their religion, their race or their beliefs.”

Britain’s Prince Charles speaks during the Fifth World Holocaust Forum at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem, Israel, 23 January 2020.. Photo by: Yonatan Sindel-JINIPIX
He also spoke of the “privilege“ of meeting survivors over the years and hailed their contribution to the UK, making particular mention of Anita Lasker-Wallfisch, founder of the English Chamber Orchestra.

“On her arm she bears the number by which tyranny had sought to make her less than human. Yet, through her music, she reminds us of the greatest beauty of which we are capable.”

It was his first ever visit to Yad Vashem where his grandmother is recognised as Righteous Among the Nations – a fact he described as providing “immense pride” to his family.

The magnitude of the genocide of a third of world Jewry “defies belief” and can obscure individual stories of suffering, he said. It’s a fact that makes places like the museum and events like the Forum so important.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, French President Emmanuel Macron and German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier were among the other speakers.

German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier speaks during the Fifth World Holocaust Forum at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem, Israel, .Photo by Yonatan Sindel-JINIPIX
President Steinmeier acknowledged during his speech that “the worst crime in the history of humanity was committed by my countrymen”. He added: “75 years later after the liberation of Auschwitz I stand before you all as president of Germany and laden with the heavy historical burden of guilt.”

Steinmeier added he wished he could say Germans have learned from history. “But I cannot say that when hatred is spreading.” There was an emotional hug between the German and Israeli presidents.

Thanking those gathered “from the bottom of my heart”, Israeli President Reuven Rivlin urged his guests to unite against hatred “as a wall for the sake of humanity”. Jews strive to remember what happened, he said, not because of a sense of supremacy but “because we understand that if we don’t history can be repeated”.

He added: “The state of Israel is not compensation for the Holocaust. It was established because it is the homeland of the Jewish people and we after a millennia of exile. Antisemitism has not changed but we have. We will always defend ourselves in our country.” Rivlin hailed countries like the UK which have adopted the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of antisemitism and urged those who haven’t to do so.

Israeli President Reuven Rivlin speaks during the Fifth World Holocaust Forum at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem, Israel, 23 January 2020.
Photo by Yonatan Sindel-JINIPIX
Israel’s head of state spoke of that legacy of Jewish resistance during the Shoah and told the survivors: “You are a miracle. I saw as a child how you came to Israel, established families, planted trees.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu point to the stark difference between the depths of the Jewish people at Auschwitz and the “life” of Jerusalem where the anniversary of its liberation was being marked. “Auschwitz is more than ultimate symbol of evil – it’s ultimate symbol of Jewish powerless. Today we have voice, a land and shield. Today our voice is heard in the White House and the Kremlin, in the United Nations, in London and countless other capitals.”

Without the sacrifice of the Allies there would be no survivors, he told the gathering. Be he added: “We also remember the world largely turned its back on us, leaving us to the bitterest of fates.”

He also struck a distinctly political tone as he stressed the importance of tackling Iran – a message echoed by American vice-president Mike Pence. Describing the Shoah as “the greasiest evil ever perpetrated by man against man”, he urged called for the world to follow the example of those who risked everything to save Jews at their worst moment.

An international philharmonic orchestra led by the Russian conductor Vladimir Spivakov performed requiems and songs of remembrance in front of video footage of victims of the Nazi death camps and testimonies of survivors.

Russian President Vladimir Putin .(Aleksey Nikolskyi, Sputnik Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)
UK-based Moshe Kantor, president of the World Holocaust Forum and head of the European Jewish Congress, warned that there could be no Jews left in Europe in three decades if current trends continue. A three-pronged approach of education, legislation and enforcement was needed to tackle antisemitism, he said, describing Britain as a “model” on this issue.

Among those in attendance was Walter Bingham, 96, who arrived in Britain on the Kindertransport as a 15-year-old in 1939 and lost his father in the Warsaw Ghetto. Bingham later served with the Royal Army Service Corps during the D Day landings.

Recalling his time on the Kindertransport he remembered arriving at Liverpool Street Station in London. “I was old enough to know what was going on but for some of the younger ones the trauma of being abandoned was terrible,” he said.

The event concluded with US Holocaust survivor, Rose Moskowitz, and chair of the central organisation of Holocaust survivors, Colette Avital, lighting a memorial torch.

World leaders then laid wreaths at the foot of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising monument, originally created by the Jewish sculptor Nathan Rapoport to stand amid the ruins of the Warsaw ghetto which was razed by the Nazis in 1943.

Cantor Shai Abramson recited the El Maleh Rahamim memorial prayer followed by the recitation of the Kaddish, the mourner’s prayer, by Holocaust survivor Naftali Deutsch who was deported to Auschwitz in 1944 and lost his father in the gas chambers. The event concluded with the Israeli national anthem, Hatikvah.

Holocaust Educational Trust Chief Executive, Karen Pollock said: “For survivors and the wider community it means so much to see His Royal Highness leading the UK delegation to Yad Vashem for this distinguished gathering to reflect on the Holocaust and rising modern-day antisemitism. His presence sends a powerful message to the world – that this defining episode of our history should never be forgotten and be remembered for generations to come.”

Olivia Marks-Woldman, Chief Executive of Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, said: “‘As our patron, His Royal Highness has repeatedly confirmed his commitment to Holocaust commemoration and education. We are pleased that for this milestone anniversary, marking 75 years since the liberation of Auschwitz, HRH is taking part in the World Holocaust Forum commemoration at Yad Vashem.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down