World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 11:25 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 11:22 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 11:14 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 10:45 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 10:37 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 10:23 pm by Admin

» Why Does Gaza Appear in This Antique Hebrew Scroll?
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 10:16 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 10:11 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 6:36 pm by Admin

» Whose Land know the truth
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyYesterday at 5:13 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 10:47 pm by Admin

» Israel Bible
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 10:06 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 9:21 pm by Admin

» Trinity College Dublin loose cash
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 9:20 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 3:32 pm by Admin

» UN halve estmate women and children killed Gaza
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Question for you to CONSIDER
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 9:19 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 6:09 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu

Go down

HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu Empty HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu

Post  Admin Mon 01 Feb 2010, 11:22 am

HerbOfTheWeek Happy New Year! - HOTW Is Back For Good - This Week: Colds and Flu

My New Year's resolution was to restart the Herb-Of-the- Week this month and today is the 31st.

Fortunately, I never deleted the group and from time to time I would even receive messages from some of you reminding me of how useful and informative HOTW was for you and urging me to continue. Many people shared the weekly newsletter with other groups that they belonged to. I say all that to say I am honored and even humbled.

In my defense, my initial intent was to remake HOTW into a glitzier, full-color newsletter including a Bulletin Board for members to share information. Sort of like free advertising (within reason - no spam!) for members. That required using a different forum than Yahoo. I finally figured out exactly how to do that without having to pay some third party entity. (That's not so bad, but I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy).

So without more adieus......

As always, I pray that God blesses each and every one of us spiritually in such a way where a physical blessing may result and physically in such a way where a spiritual blessing is the end result.

I also pray that God blesses us all in such a way, where there can be no doubt where the source of the blessing lies. Where His name and existence is revealed, for He is the Lord of Existence. Indeed plants and birds and rocks and things, even you and I, exist because of His mercy and His grace.

This week, being the height of the flu season we will talk about ways that we may improve, enhance, restore, rebuild and/or rejuvenate the immune system and a few herbs and supplements that help us to better manage colds and flu if we are unlucky enough to have caught something.

Colds and the flu are infectious diseases... meaning you can "catch" them from other people. Some infectious diseases are even interspecies and known or thought to pass from swine to birds to humans. But the good news is these viruses are opportunists. They look for the tired, the malnutritioned, the stress out and those of us who have a lifestyle that is far too sedentary. This is why we can inadvertently come into contact with all kinds of germs and infections on grocery carts, the break room microwave, facets, public restroom doorknobs, public laundromats etc and not everyone gets sick.

So the first line of defense is making sure that we:

1. Eat properly getting the right amount of nutrients including plenty (a whole lot) of fruits and vegetables because they have a significant amount of phytonutrients known to help prevent and even reduce viral, bacterial and even fungal infections. Including enough water. Did I mention drink enough water? Your weight in ounces divided by two. For instance I weigh 190. That's 190/2 = 85 ounces daily. Water is a catalyst - the essence of life.

2. Getting enough rest. Sleeping allows our body to rebuild, replace dead cells, restore, rejuvenate and basically perform system maintenance during the night while we are sleeping. It simply doesn't get done when we don't get quality sleep time.

3. Dealing with stress. Stress is a killer. Plain and simple. We have to guard even our attitudes and our general disposition.

Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

4. Exercise. Do something. Anything physical is better than nothing at all. In fact walking is alleged to be extremely effective in warding of physical calamity.

It is said that 80% - OR MORE - of illnesses whether infectious (the illnesses you catch from people) or degenerative (the ones we acquire on our own, like diabetes, hypertension etc, can be attributed to violating the above principals. That is profound. I can almost end the NewsLetter right here!

Before we delve into complex "herbal" solutions, let's take a closer look at two herbs we probably already have in the kitchen
============ ========= ========= =======
ONIONS:
Onions contain QUERCITIN

Quercetin, a flavonoid present in significant quantities in onions, especially red and yellow onions and even apple hulls. Research has shown that it inhibits infectivity and replication of a broad spectrum of viruses and may offset the increase in susceptibility to infection associated with stressful exercise.

"...Although most of the scientific evidence for quercetin's antiviral activity is in vitro and in animals, it has shown to be effective against the herpes virus, influenza virus, polio virus, and respiratory virus, inhibiting both viral replication and infection (Beladi I et al. In vitro and in vivo antiviral effects of flavonoids. In: Flavonoids and Bioflavonoids. Farkas L et al. Eds. Elsevier NY, NY. 1982, pp. 443-450). ..."

SOURCE: http://www.vitalnut rients.net/ hq_handouts2. asp?VitaminName= Quercetin

So it probably would not hurt to increase your intake of apples and red onions, or you can look for dietary supplements that include quercetin.

============ ========= ========= ========= =====

GARLIC:
Garlic contains ALLICIN

Garlic is considered by many to be a panacea (benefiting almost every bodily function) and is considered to be an herbal "wonder drug".

Specifically, garlic/allicin activities are believed to have the following positive effects:
1. Prevention of cardiovascular attacks 2. Restore suppressed antibody responses 3. Broad spectrum of antimicrobial activities. 4. Preventing the common cold 5. Prevention and treatment of
cancer.

SOURCE:
http://www.allicinf acts.com/ allicin02a. htm

Science Daily (Oct. 10, 2007) — Consuming large amounts of raw garlic may be good for your heart, but not necessarily your social life. So, how do we best enjoy these pungent little bulbs, without missing out on their impressive health benefits? Crush them. Then bake them slightly. That's according to Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists and collaborators in Argentina.

ALSO ... chew sprigs of parsley leaves to freshen your breath. that's why restaurants sometimes add sprigs of parsley with fish dinners!

Or... one can buy allicin powder in most any health store.

============ ========= ========= ========= =======

ENOUGH CANNOT BE SAID ABOUT EATING LOTS AND LOTS OF FRESH VEGETABLES!! SOME SUGGEST A RATIO OF 5/1 (FIVE TIMES AS MANY VEGGIES AS MEAT)

============ ========= ========= ========= =======

What about if you already are sick with the cold and/or flu? You've probably heard of the health benefits of taking extra vitamin C and zinc and Echinacea and that type of thing.

Here are two more very potent herbs said to enhance antiviral activity:

ELDERBERRY:

"...A study conducted in 2003 showed that an extract of Elderberry reduced symptoms and shortened the duration of flu type A and B in fifty four participants aged 18-54. The study, accepted for publication in the Journal of International Medical Research, was conducted in Oslo, Norway...... On average, flu patients given elderberry recovered in 3.1 days, compared to 7.1 days for those given a placebo. In a previous published study, 90% of flu patients taking Elderberry were completely free of symptoms in 2 to 3 days, as compared to 6 days with a placebo...."

And....

In 1992 during a flu epidemic at an Israeli Kibbutz, half of the flu patients were given an elderberry syrup, the other half a placebo. The results: within 24 hours, 20% of the patients receiving elderberry had gotten significantly better. Within two days, 75% of the elderberry group was much improved; within 3 days 90% were completely cured. Among the placebo group, only 8% of patients improved within 24 hours and it was a full 6 days before 90% of the patients were cured.

SOURCE:
http://www.quantumh ealth.com/ news/flu_ common_cold. html

My personal testimony:
Back in the fall of '09, I had a cough and a temp that came and went and came and went and came and went ... well you get it. . I purchased some Elderberry and voila' - it was GONE, even though almost every other person in my office was sick.

Elderberry is good in that it works AFTER YOU CATCH A BUG.

Next......

OLIVE LEAF:

Olive leaf extract is antiviral. The effects of olive leaf come from oleuropein, a bitter compound with antimicrobial and disease-fighting properties. However, the effects may vary from person to person. Oleuropein destroys viruses, bacteria and fungi. It is known for keeping it from spreading or reoccurring, not necessarily curing it. It is ideal for treating colds, flu, cold sores, and eye, ear, nose, and throat infections.

An antiviral medicine, Olivar, used for herpes is actually made from the olive leaf.

But why take my word for it? It's your health. I invite you to Google any or all of this information.
Two good search engines are www.dogpile. com which will search at least 22 other search engines.
Just enter a few keywords separated by a plus sign ("+") research anything that you like.

Until next time remember .... most illness (upwards of 80% according
to experts) can be attributed to FOUR important factors that can
weaken your immune system and your ability to fight off disease:

1. Anxiety, depression, anger, resentment, guilt and other STRESS factors
2. Improper and/or inadequate NUTRITION habits
3. A sedentary lifestyle that does not include enough EXERCISE
4. Not enough rest and quality SLEEP time

Remember, we ALWAYS recommend that you ALWAYS consult a professional herbalist, naturopathologist or physician. We are just passing along what we hope to be useful information and not claiming to diagnose or cure anything.

NOTE: I did not intend for this post to be so long, but I get into it. I will work on keeping it short and sweet.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down