World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 11:25 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 11:22 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 11:14 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 10:45 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 10:37 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 10:23 pm by Admin

» Why Does Gaza Appear in This Antique Hebrew Scroll?
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 10:16 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 10:11 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 6:36 pm by Admin

» Whose Land know the truth
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyYesterday at 5:13 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 10:47 pm by Admin

» Israel Bible
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 10:06 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 9:21 pm by Admin

» Trinity College Dublin loose cash
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 9:20 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 8:54 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 3:32 pm by Admin

» UN halve estmate women and children killed Gaza
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» Question for you to CONSIDER
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 9:19 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
Focus on Our authority in Jesus. EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 6:09 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Focus on Our authority in Jesus.

Go down

Focus on Our authority in Jesus. Empty Re: Focus on Our authority in Jesus.

Post  Admin Sat 17 Jan 2009, 11:42 am

Spiritual Authority - (Part 5) : Power Over Serpents And Scorpions (Or Just A Broken Clock)
Ron and Karen Schwartz
Jul 9, 2007

Conventional teaching on spiritual authority holds that parents have authority (power) over their children, husbands over wives, pastors over their congregations, and Christians over the powers of darkness. Therefore, many Christians associate spiritual authority with scriptures like:

Luke 10:19 KJV

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Revelation 2:26-27 KJV

26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

The popular notion is that Christians are empowered with authority and might over the forces of darkness. But consider this: today, more than at any other time in history, the influence of Christianity, the building of churches, and the freedom of evangelism has reached throughout the world. The influence of Christianity is everywhere. Yet even though churches number in the hundreds of thousands and Christians in the 100’s of millions it seems that contemporary Christianity is powerless the prevent the spread of sin and decadency of our societies that continues to spiral down to hell. If Christians truly have power over the powers of darkness, why does the corruption of sin and immorality that blankets this world continue to spread and flourish at an unimaginable pace? Why do Christians appear to be “powerless” to change this world?

The following scripture is perhaps the most over-used and least understood scripture that pertains to spiritual authority:

Ephesians 6:12 KJV

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

If Christians have been given power over “serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy,” why then is there a need to “wrestle?”

This word “wrestle” (Greek: pale) describes a very popular sport of the ancient Greeks. It was not that dissimilar to today’s wrestling. It was contest in which one contestant attempted to force his opponent out of a circle or forces him to the ground. It was very physical, and it required discipline, extensive training, resolve, and tenacity. It was not something for the careless or faint at heart. The Greeks would train and condition young boys their entire life to prepare them for this sport. Preparation was considered lifelong.

When you put the scripture, “we wrestle,” together with the scripture, “power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy,” you begin to understand that the spiritual authority Christians can have “against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, [and] against spiritual wickedness in high places” is not given carte blanche to just any Bible-toting believer. Like the Greeks who trained their entire life for this contest, spiritual authority over “serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy” is for them who have conditioned and trained their spiritual lives to be qualified for this fight. Believers do this through obeying the discipleship described by Jesus, and through “crucifying the flesh” as described by Paul. The measure of spiritual authority a believer has is directly proportional to the degree that they are submitted to the Lord. They must set aside sin and personal ambitions and become obedient to God’s Spirit. And like the Greek sport, this training and discipline must be considered lifelong and life changing.

If a Greek had not conditioned his body to wrestle he would not be qualified for his contest. In the same manner, most Christians are spiritually unconditioned because of their apathy, compromise, and the sin in their lives. They are simply unqualified to “wrestle” against “the power of the enemy.” This explains why the vast majority of Christians are “powerless” to change the world around them - they have never experience true spiritual authority, and they are therefore no match for the powers of darkness.

Spiritual authority as it pertains to spiritual warfare is almost completely superficial among Western Christians. They are almost all talk. Some Christians talk about being prayer warriors or participating in spiritual battles. Are these battles real? Let go back to Paul’s analogy of skilled and conditioned wrestlers. What chance would an under developed, weak, untrained, and apathetic person have in a wrestling match against a tested, conditioned, trained, and seasoned opponent who is full of resolve? None! The truth is that very few Christians know what it is to wrestle against spiritual darkness, and that is the reason for the pandemic of sin and corruption in our society. Contemporary Christianity’s idea of spiritual authority/ spiritual warfare is a joke among the true powers of spiritual darkness.

Acts 19:13-16 KJV

13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.

15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?

16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

In this scripture, we are told of Jews who tried to use the spiritual authority they saw demonstrated in Paul’s life. But they found out that the authority Paul used was not simply “in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost (1 Thessalonians 1:5).”

Christians who believe they have power over the forces of darkness and to rule nations but do not train and condition their spiritual lives will never actually experience that power. They will go through their lives talking about it, reading books about it, and hearing endless sermons about it, but it will remain nothing more than a fairytale.

Most Christians breeze over the words of Jesus that pertain to discipleship, laying down their lives, and being crucified with Him, but lay hold of His words that pertain to moving mountains, commanding demons, and works of miracles. You cannot disconnect Jesus’ teaching on discipleship from His promise of power. They are inseparable.

Daniel 10:1-14 KJV

1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.

2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.

3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.

9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.

10 And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.

11 And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling.

12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.

13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.

We find here an example of the “wrestling” about which Paul wrote. Daniel continued in prayer for three full weeks. How many Christians have conditioned their faith like Daniels, disciplined their bodies to be able to fast for weeks, and develop the spiritual tenacity necessary to continue in prayer (for weeks if necessary) simply to understand a dream? Contrast this example of three weeks of fasting and prayer to the “name it and claim it” advocates who suggest that spiritual authority is simply commanding spirits. These advocates often make statements like, “The enemy is already defeated.” To this we say, “Look around at the prevailing victory of sin in this world, the compromise in your church, and the spiritual attacks in your own life. If Satan, our great enemy, is defeated, he sure does not know it or think so.”

Revelation 12:12-13, 17 KJV

12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

If Satan is defeated, as many claim, then why is he able to “make war” with the saints? This scripture does not describe a beaten enemy but one that is bent on winning – one who believes that he can win! Does Satan believe that he will lose? No! He knows that Jesus will come again for His own – for a Church that is without “spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; [and] holy and without blemish (Ephesians 5:27).” So if Satan can rid the world of every true Christian, and corrupt those that remain there will be no one for whom to return. He believes that he can destroy Christians by convincing them that the false Christianity they embrace is real, by sweeping them away in the torrents of sin of this current age, by convincing them that compromise is Christianity, and through the deception that apostasy is Christianity adapted to modern culture. We believe that one of Satan’s greatest deceptions has been to convince Christians that he is already defeated and there is therefore nothing left for them to do but to enjoy their religion.

Christians often point to the story of David and Goliath and the little stone that brought down the giant. We must remember that the little stone was propelled by a young man who was fully submitted to God. The power of God in the lives of His people is fully proportional to the degree that their lives are submitted to Him. You cannot assume that a man is submitted to God just because he is involved in ministry. Often, just the opposite is true. Contemporary Christian leaders have made careers out of ministry. They have conditioned subordinate Christians into supporting them, and they use their positions of authority in order to bully their objectives into reality. These are not men submitted to God. They are slaves to their ministry/empires. They do they have God’s authority as evidenced by the lack of power in their lives.

David was not a leader, a king, or Captain of the army when He brought down the giant, yet many great men, including the king, were present when he did. He was just a young man who had no ambition other than to love God. Of all the great men who were with Him, it was he alone who was fully submitted to God, and consequently it was he who demonstrated the power of God. The great men and their leaders could only stand by and watch. They had the power of men and power over men, but they had not the authority of God’s Spirit. Today is no different. Great Christian leaders surround us. They are everywhere. But where are those who have the spiritual authority of the Lord? There are many who pretend to be apostles and prophets but what have they to offer other than hype? Only people who submitted their lives to the Lordship of the Holy Spirit are trained, conditioned, and qualified to wrestle with the powers of darkness. These are they who have crucified their lives with Christ and demonstrate His authority.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 17 Jan 2009, 11:41 am

Hopefully andipandi,
Although brief in the discussion this helps in your choice of Focus
(who knows this may be brought up again)
I found an interesting article which I will post up in next post.
Elaine
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 17 Jan 2009, 11:40 am

I know that we have authority in healing, over demons and many other thing IN THE NAME OF JESUS.

When I was a child there was a song we used to sing on beach missions. You may recognise it.

"In the name of Jesus,
In the name of Jesus
we have the victory (glory glory glory)

In the name of Jesus,
In the name of Jesus
Demons will have to flee (right away)

Who can tell what love can do?
Who can tell of his love for you?
In the name of Jesus, Jesus
We have the Victory!"

Amen
EF.x
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 17 Jan 2009, 11:38 am

My immediate thoughts on Andi request:-
Topic Focus Our authority in Jesus.

Allow me to ramble a little, in that Jesus gave authority to his disciples although as yet they had not received the gift of the Holy spirit, you will find this in the scripture where they met for supper the passover and Jesus took the bread and wine and gave them and said do this in rememberance of me. John 20:22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them and *said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
Before this happening there is occasion when Jesus called his diciples giving them authority.
Mathew 10 :1 Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness

Often we are lead to believe that we have to be baptised in the Holy spirit before becoming used. I think this sheds light on this area of thought. That as long as we are his disciples these things are possible. Let this not deter you from seeking to be baptised in The Holy spirit of God for there is benefit in this area which hopefully we will touch on later.
There are other things we need to be considering such as unconfessed sin in our lives which again I hope we can explore in our Topic Focus.

Elaine.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Focus on Our authority in Jesus. Empty Focus on Our authority in Jesus.

Post  Admin Sat 17 Jan 2009, 11:37 am

One of our members.......andipandi20
Asked some time ago could we have topic
Focus on Our authority in Jesus.

Your thoughts and scriptures on this subject would be appreciated. If you have a testimony also that would be great to post here also on the Testimony Board.
Looking forward to your input.
Elaine.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down