World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 20 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 20 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyYesterday at 10:29 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyYesterday at 10:24 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyYesterday at 9:44 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 10:07 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 9:38 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 8:06 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 7:42 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 7:07 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 6:50 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 11:13 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 10:59 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 9:56 pm by Admin

» Barry Segal @ VFI News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 9:23 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 5:18 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 4:49 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 4:17 pm by Admin

» Short Video US campus not what you think.
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 2:50 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 2:48 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyThu 02 May 2024, 11:34 pm by Admin

» Tjurkey suspend dealing with Israel
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 EmptyThu 02 May 2024, 11:03 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 14 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Tue 06 Aug 2019, 8:44 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

August 6, 2019

What to do When Facing Impossibilities

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     Memorial Day brings back memories of heroes as with gratitude, we recall their brave commitment to bring us victory. But why do we forget the victory Christ has already won for us?

Do you remember this story?

"One day the angelsa came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them. The Lord said to Satan, 'Where have you come from?' Satan answered the Lord, 'From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.'" (Job 1:6-7 NIV)

Did he say the earth? Gulp. Friend, you and I are on that same earth on which he roams. And we need to watch out because, "Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8 NIV).

He's probably licking his lips, staring at us.

And when we're alone, seated on our bed of self-pity, surrounded by walls of gloom, lamenting our impossible situations, we become more appetizing. We're more appealing because we're weighed down by negativity. And we're weakened by moments of hopelessness.

I've been there.

And unaware of what an inviting prey I was, I was soon to be his spiritual lunch.

The giant I faced towered over me, reminding me of my frailty, whispering I was defenseless.

That's the place the enemy wants us, walking into defeat and deceived in thinking that victory will only come when the impossible problem would be removed.

But often that doesn't happen. Not to us and not to David. Instead, like our struggles, the giant stood firm, relentless and threatening.

Poor David?

No! Although a boy, He was scrawny, a bit of a shy kid, the youngest of his brothers and probably voted the "least likely to succeed" in the senior class of the local shepherd high school, yet God was with him.

Success was at work. David stepped forward and the size of his opponent didn't infuse fear, but injected boldness instead.

Unprepared to face giants, he probably smelled of sheep wool and with mud caked on his sandals, he stirred God's power within him.

We're like that, too; we're walking with shoes caked with discouragement, and possibly smelling of hopelessness.

And like you and I, David probably had to shoo off the enemy's lies: that problem is too big, destruction is inevitable, the pain will be fierce, or you are doomed to lose.

And as he does today, the enemy presented opposition from all sides. People doubted David's abilities, King Saul scratched his head with bewilderment, and when Goliath saw David's size, he laughed.

But God smiled ...

...because he prompted David to shed the armor King Saul had given him. The metals and chains were way too cumbersome for his thin body. Instead, he tapped into the power of the Lord.

It was the same power he had used to bring down those ferocious bears and lions. He had the weapon--not a rifle, a shotgun, a knife or sword. And he didn't trust in the smooth rocks in his sling either. He trusted in a greater and mightier weapon--the power of God.

Have you faced those giants that loom over you?

They mock your courage and laugh at your faith? The lies from the enemy that fuel your fear.

The lies that say your 2-inch faith is no match for the 9-foot giant of impossibilities. The deception that repeats you'll never see relief, healing or triumph.

We've all faced that at one time or another. And in desperation we slip on that armor--our own abilities, wisdom, and solutions. But dragging ourselves toward the battlefield, we find that human armor hinders us. It's too heavy with pride.

That's when you and I do what David did.

We shed that wrong armor and pull out our best weapon instead. David was bold as we should be, he's defiant like we have to be, and he's truthful to declare to whom belongs the victory.

It's not the giant that threatens, but it's the gigantic love God has for us that must fuel our courage. That's why David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty" (1 Samuel 17: 45).

Did you read that? The God David spoke about is not just any god, He's the Lord almighty, creator of the universe, and immensely powerful.

Troubles can come from all sides bearing the sword of anguish, the spear of anxiety and the javelin of fear. But you and I come in the name of the Lord--with confidence, with resolve and trust that through Christ, the victory is already won.

And holding the smooth stones of faith, bearing the spiritual weapon of God's faithfulness, we can face any giant of impossibility in the name of the Lord.

I had to make that choice.

In his devious craftiness, he lied to me when he said it would be impossible to find peace after my son was killed. But his lies are no match for God's truth, to God's power of restoring what was broken, to heal that which seared, and to defeat the giant who threatens our peace.

To the world, our problems seem gigantic, to God they are miniscule. They're big when we see them with human eyes. They shrink when we see them through Christ's eyes.

And as we gaze at our problem we have a choice: either to live hoping for blessings, or to bless the hope we already have in Christ.

Let's Pray: Father, you know the giants in my life. I confess they rob my sleep and anxiety visits often. But I ask you to fill me with the faith David had, the wisdom he carried, and the courage he displayed. In Jesus' name, amen.

-- What giant looms over you right now?
-- How do you silence lies in order to live triumphantly?

Janet Eckles

If this message resonated with you, please visit Janet's cyberspace home for more inspiration. 
Announcement:
Would you like to make a difference in the world?  Why not join the Answers2Prayer Ministry team?  We have many volunteer positions.  By joining in, you can help in carrying out the Great Commission: "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in Heaven and on Earth have been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" (Matt. 28:18-20 NIV)The time is right and we are in need of many laborers.  "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord f the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matt 9:37-38 NIV)If you feel compelled, let us know by sending us an email.

©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 27 Jul 2019, 9:43 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 27, 2019

How to Praise God when you Don't Feel you Can...
Lessons From the Psalms, Part 11: Psalm 117

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     Last month we learned that in Judaism, the Psalms, or the "five book of David", are seen to be an image of the five books of the law and are considered to be a "second Pentateuch", an echo of the first. Did you know that the book of Psalms contains both the longest (Ps. 119 with 176 verses) and the shortest (Ps. 117 with 2 verses) chapters in the Bible? Another interesting note is that in the King James Version, this shortest chapter in the Bible also stands as its exact middle chapter, with 594 chapters before it, and 594 chapters after it!

And today we will take a closer look at this exact middle chapter of the King James Bible--as well as the Bible's shortest chapter--Psalm 117...

"Praise the Lord, all you nations.
   Praise him, all you people of the earth.
For his unfailing love for us is powerful;
   the Lord's faithfulness endures forever.
Praise the Lord!" (Ps. 117:1-2 NLT)

On first glance, this particular Psalm doesn't look too deep. It is short, it doesn't contain many examples, and it isn't even very precise. I would argue, however, that this shortest chapter, found in the exact middle of the ever-popular King James English Bible, provides us with one of the most powerful recipes for how to praise God in our lowest moments...

We are told to praise God in the midst of our circumstances. It is even suggested that we praise Him for specific things, small things, big things, personal things, etc. Isn't it the case, however, that in the midst of whatever crisis we are in, we have absolutely no ability to recall God's past miracles in our lives? I don't know about you, but when I'm in the middle of particularly bad circumstances, I sometimes don't even remember how to pray! All I can think to say is, "God! Help me, God! Oh God, oh God, help me!"

It is exactly in the midst of these moments, the moments so troubling that the only prayer on our lips is, "Oh God!" that we need Psalm 117 the most. The beauty and simplicity of this psalm makes it a prayer that we can pray, even in the midst of the worst crisis! Let's take a look:

The psalm begins by telling who is called to praise the Lord. Notice that it doesn't mention people who are going through good times. Notice that there is absolutely no qualifier whatsoever to indicate "which" people are to praise the Lord. The psalm simply tells us:

"Praise the Lord, all you nations.
   Praise him, all you people of the earth." (Vs. 1 NLT)

There it is in a nutshell: If you are a member of the "people of the Earth", you are called to "Praise the Lord", no matter what you are going through! In the midst of crisis, there is no need for you to wonder if this psalm specifically fits your situation or not. As long as you are a member of the "people of the Earth", this psalm fits your situation!

But now the hard part: What do we praise Him for? Like I said above, in the midst of crisis, we often can't even remember where we are going or whether or not we brushed our teeth, let alone recalling the miracles of the Lord!

No problem. Psalm 117 doesn't encourage us to spend time wracking through memories for specific examples of God's love and power in our lives. It doesn't require that we be Bible scholars, that we be familiar with God's power as portrayed in His Word. It doesn't even require that we tear our tormented minds away from your dire circumstances to focus on how God has been real to someone we know. In its simplicity, the psalm simply tells us exactly what we can always pray, no matter what we are going through. It tells us the real reason for praise:

"For his unfailing love for us is powerful;
   the Lord's faithfulness endures forever.
Praise the Lord!" (Vs. 2 NLT)

In the midst of whatever it is you are going through, remember these truths from the shortest chapter in the Bible that stands as the exact centre chapter, Psalm 117: You are called to praise God no matter what, and the reason is that His love is unfailing and power, and His faithfulness will never end!

I encourage you now, in the midst of whatever it is that is blinding you to memories of past miracles, to contemplate these powerful truths: God's love is unfailing and powerful, and God's faithfulness will never end! As you meditate upon these Truths from Psalm 117, you will begin to see your circumstances from God's perspective. You will come to understand that God's unfailing, all powerful love will come through! You will begin to comprehend that God's unending faithfulness will bring you through these tough times as well!

Whatever your circumstances: Praise the Lord, for His love is powerful and unfailing and His faithfulness is everlasting!

In His love,
Lyn
Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart. 
Announcement:
In response to recent requests from subscribers, the Nugget will be featuring a devotional based on the book of Psalms once a month. We pray you will be blessed by this focus on the one book of the Bible that Jesus quoted the most.

©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 25 Jul 2019, 10:46 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 25, 2019

The Way to Find Today's Happiness

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     High Heels vs. Tennis Shoes

Some months ago, a friend came to pick me up. I opened the front door, she came in and paused, "What's with the high heels," she asked.

"Why not?"

"Because we'll be doing a lot of walking in those airports. You need comfortable shoes." She stomped her feet. "Like these tennis shoes."

I chuckled. Few friends understand the Latina thinking--that heels make us, well...more feminine. Silly, isn't it? That desire to wear high heels is one of many quirks to which we cling. Actually, we hang on to many more that might seem a tad trivial.

Yet, no matter what nationality, we all tend to hang on to other stuff that's not trivial, but traumatic--past hurts, relationships now gone, resentment for what we lost, anger for what went wrong and even bitterness for broken dreams.

How did those dreams become nightmares?

Trying to figure it out, we gaze at the rearview mirror of the past, analyzing its painful details. And in doing so, we risk running into a wall of deep depression. We relive what happened back then over and over again.

And when we do, so pitifully, we miss the wide gate God holds open ushering us to a new chapter, a new beginning, vibrant possibilities, treasures to be found and opportunities to savor. We miss it all because we're still staring at the past. What we had. How it was. What we enjoyed and how we felt.

Time to let go.

Broken dreams don't have to shatter our hope. Plans unfulfilled don't have to constantly fill our mind. And unforeseen obstacles don't have to forecast our future.

If we let it, all of this can hold us captive to the world's deceptive lies that say it's okay to sink in unforgiveness, grudges, or resentment. They keep us from breaking free from yesterday's pain. They bind us to our negative emotions rather than empowering our thoughts. But even more devastating, they blind us from seeing Christ's cure for the torment.

How about if we leave all that where it belongs--in the past. Today is here. Today is when God is whispering a new beginning, a new path and new horizons.

Welcome in Contagious Joy

And it's in that view that we realize that contentment for what we have now ushers contagious joy that becomes the strength for tomorrow. That's when we can expect better turns. Ones that we never dreamed nor didn't think we could have. But definitely, we can have them because, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV).

If He has that future prepared, and if He is almighty and He's true to His word, why linger in the past? If His plans are to prosper us, why not expect the best for tomorrow? If Christ lives in us and we in Him, our destiny shines, our future is secure.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV).

Let's Pray

Father, how often do I have to repeat your promises in my head before I believe them in my heart? I ask for wisdom and commitment to believe in what you say and not in what I see. Show me how to praise you today, in the moment and while I relish in a vibrant hope for tomorrow. In Jesus' name, amen.

What is yesterday's sadness that you need to leave behind in order to enjoy today's happiness?

Janet

Janet Eckles

If this message resonated with you, please visit Janet's cyberspace home for more inspiration. 
Announcement:
Would you like to make a difference in the world?  Why not join the Answers2Prayer Ministry team?  We have many volunteer positions.  By joining in, you can help in carrying out the Great Commission: "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in Heaven and on Earth have been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" (Matt. 28:18-20 NIV)The time is right and we are in need of many laborers.  "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord f the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matt 9:37-38 NIV)If you feel compelled, let us know by sending us an email.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 23 Jul 2019, 10:33 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 23, 2019

Every Day is Holy

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us   

"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Ps. 118:24 ESV)
It was late September. I was driving through a heavy fog to a store to pick up a few things. When I got there I strolled through the store looking for what I needed. I grabbed a bag of dog food for my dogs, a pack of batteries for my son, and a bite of chocolate for myself. As I turned the corner to head for the checkout register, though, I saw something that stopped me in my tracks. A two foot tall skeleton wearing a tuxedo was staring across the room at a two foot tall stuffed Santa Claus, I slowly shook my head and walked on.

As I was driving home the fog lifted and the loveliness of the Autumn leaves started to shine in the sunlight. There were reds, yellows, oranges, burgundies, and browns. It was so beautiful. It was as if God had hand painted each one, Himself. As I watched them I realized why I had been so bothered by what I had seen in the store. It wasn't that Halloween was a month away and Christmas 3 months away. It wasn't that the stores were doing all they could to take money from our pockets and add debt to our credit cards. It wasn't that all of these former "holy days" had been turned into "holidays." I had known all of these things for quite a while. It was the simple fact that we had forgotten that every day is holy. Every day is sacred. Every day is precious. We had created a world in which we regret the past, live for the future, and spend all of our wealth trying and failing to buy a few moments of joy here and there.

God doesn't want us to live months in advance. God wants us to Love, Today! God wants us to share our smile, our kindness, our warmth and our joy with each other. God wants us to love each person we are with, each day of our life. God wants us to live as if each day is holy because every day is holy. Ignore the Santas in the stores then. Share the love in your heart instead.

Make your life your gift. And give that gift joyously to God and to everyone you meet.

Joseph J. Mazzella  
Announcement:
Why is it that the "Abundant Life" promised by Jesus to all who believe doesn't always seem so "abundant?" Where is the "prosperity" that is the Christian's due? The answer can be found in the book of Job. Check out "The Prosperity Doctrine Exposed," a mini-series by Lyn Chaffart

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 18 Jul 2019, 3:17 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 18, 2019

The Making Way

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     "A voice of one calling: In the desert prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken." (Isaiah 40:3-5 NIV)

My daughter, husband and baby granddaughter were coming to live with me.

A business opportunity had presented itself in town and they decided to buy it and move home.

How wonderful is this, was my first thought. My second thought was, oh my goodness how are we all going to fit into this house!?

And thus the making way process began. I toured each room, checked out closets, drawers, cupboards, porches and sheds. It could be done but it meant a lot of sorting, organizing, giving away and disposal.

Fortunately I had a couple of months to prepare and bit by bit I did make way. It was a very large task however and there were moments when I felt discouraged and overwhelmed by the project. At such times I would stop thinking about everything that needed doing and dwell on the joy that the end result would yield. My family would be moving in. I would have help with so many day to day tasks and ongoing projects. I would be able to see my infant granddaughter growing and changing moment by moment. In this day and age when many grandparents only see their grandchildren once every few years or via Skype or Face Time, what a wonderful gift I was receiving.

And as I contemplated these great joys today's scripture verses came to mind as Isaiah calls us to prepare the way for the Lord in our lives: "A voice of one calling: In the desert prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken." (Isaiah 40:3-5 NIV). Make way. This command calls us to search our lives for every and anything that keeps us from knowing and walking with our God day by day, moment by moment.

Indeed, it is rather an overwhelming thought for we live busy and often complicated lives, and there is much that seeks to create road blocks and obstacles to keep us from making way. I have found, however, much like I did when I was making way for my family's arrival, that if I stop and consider the joy that comes when I make way for the Lord, I am inspired to keep going. In fact the making way itself becomes an act of love and joy, no longer a burden or struggle. And what is the joy?

"And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken." (Is. 40:5 NIV). Indeed the glory of the Lord will be revealed more and more in my relationship with Him. And it is a glory that fills me up and is thus revealed to all mankind around me.....around us.....as each one of us makes the decision day by day to make way for the Lord.

Prayer: Father God, thank you so much that You have called and continue to call us to "make way" for Your Son in our lives day by day. Your Son whom day by day enables us to be filled with Your glory and all the joy of living which that brings. In Christ's name we pray. Amen.

Lynne Phipps

Announcement:
Curious about what God truly wants the most from us?  Check out Written on the Heart!  

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 06 Jul 2019, 9:47 am

Welcome to the Nugget

July 6, 2019

Saving the Whales

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     It was Wednesday, the 30th of July, 1986. A few members of a pod of false killer whales became stranded in the shallow waters around Augusta, Western Australia. Because this specie is highly sociable, the rest of the pod probably responded to the individual distress calls of the stranded whales, resulting in the entire pod, 114 in total, becoming stranded and disoriented in the shallow waters.

The story fascinated me. I couldn't help but see the unselfish love in each of those false killer whales as they put aside all thought of their own safety to try and rescue their fellow pod members. Yes, it resulted in them becoming stranded themselves; but the whales knew that above all else, they had to be there to comfort and encourage each other. 

The Bible says, "For this is the gospel message that you have heard from the beginning: that we should love one another..." (1 John 3:11 NET). Imagine how much less hurt and loss the church at large would experience if we were to have as much unselfish love as that pod of false killer whales... 

But the story doesn't end here. 

The local residents of Augusta immediately banded together. They administered first aid to the stranded whales, and eventually they were able to liberate a few. The freed whales simply came back into the dangerous waters, however, to comfort and encourage their fellow pod members. The result? They restranded themselves... 

Those whales should have simply been happy to have been freed, right? But no. Their concern wasn't for individual pod members, but for the pod at large.

Jesus loved the church, and His act of giving up His life for the church is proof of His love (See Eph. 5:25). We are told to follow His example: "For I have given you an example--you should do just as I have done for you." (John 13:15 NET). What if we were to worry as much about the unity of the church at large as that pod of false killer whales in Augusta, Western Australia? What if we, the freed, were to dive right back into the thick of the very things we've been freed from, for the purpose of saving the church? 

It soon became apparent that the whales would have to be rescued as a group, and as a group, returned to the sea. Wildlife authorities choose a deep-water site in nearby Flinder's Bay, and they began ferrying the whales by truck to this point. More than 500 townspeople came out to help. Families "adopted" individual whales, and they worked tirelessly through the night and the following two days to care for "their" whale. Some took turns in the water, others cared for the beached whales, and still others provided supplies of hot food and blankets to the ones doing the hands-on work with the animals. By Friday morning, August 1, 1986, boardriders and swimmers helped to guide the last whales through a channel reef and safely into the open ocean.

Why don't we respond in similar fashion to the church's hurting members? 

There may be many reasons, but one possibility is that we often feel underqualified. Remember, not everyone in the town of Augusta could swim. In the same way, not everyone in the church is trained to respond to someone who is grieving. Not everyone understands the holds of addiction. Not everyone is in-tune to the individual needs of our fellow churchgoers. What we can learn from the Augusta whale rescue is this: rather than abandoning the entire operation, each of us must find something helpful that we are comfortable doing!

We also may see that the task of caring for the church at large is overwhelming; but in the same way that the townspeople of Augusta broke up into small groups and "adopted" individual whales, we don't have to see the task as ours alone. We can also divide and conquer. We can also focus on one or two hurting individuals, ever knowing that as a group, everyone is being cared for!

In total, 96 whales were saved in what was heralded as the world's most successful whale rescue. The volunteers from the town endured cold, rain and lack of sleep to save the whales, and their action captured the imagination and admiration of the world, sparking a growing, active community concern for wildlife.

Jesus prayed for unity four different times in His pastoral prayer recorded in John 17: "that they will all be one, just as you, Father, are in me and I am in you...The glory you gave to me I have given to them, that they may be one just as we are one, I in them and you in me..." (John 17:21,22 NET. See also vs. 11, 23). There is a reason that unity is so important to Jesus: "...so that the world will know that you sent me..." (John 17:23b NET). When the townspeople of Augusta banded together, they became an example to the world, and their actions sparked more communal concern for wildlife. If the unity that saved those 96 whales could be seen in the church, the world at large would see beyond a doubt that Jesus is the Son of God, sent to this world as our Lord and Saviour. 

Thank about it! 

If you ever find yourself in Augusta, Western Australia, make your way to the Flinder's Bay Boat Ramp and enjoy the memorial that has been set up in honor of this whale rescue. But even if you never have the opportunity to visit the actual memorial, let the story of the Augusta whale rescue inspire you to put aside selfish ambitions, to love the church as Jesus does, to do everything in your power to help your fellow brothers and sisters; for in so doing, you will preach a powerful message to the world at large. 

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart. 
Announcement:
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 11 Jun 2019, 12:44 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

June 11, 2019

One Big Thank You

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." (1 Thes. 5:18)

Today I awoke to the sound of my heater kicking on, warming my home on this cold Spring morning. Today when I bent down to put a lease on my dog for his walk he nuzzled his head up against my leg to be petted. Today when I walked outside I saw the sun rising above the trees and bathing the world in its golden light. Today my oldest son walked up to me with a cheerful, "Good morning, Dad!" and gave me a hug. Today my youngest son started his day as he usually does with a big smile and a bigger laugh. Today my breakfast of warm oatmeal and hot coffee made my belly feel full and my insides feel toasty. Today as I was doing my morning exercises I realized that I hadn't thanked God for any of these things that had happened this morning. I quickly remedied that situation and suddenly felt the powerful love of God filling my heart and expanding my soul. I thanked God again for His glorious love and promised to love too with all of my heart.

The truth is that I have spent far too much of my life here focused on the wrong list. I am talking about my wish list. It is the list I wanted to achieve for my life to be the way I wanted it to be. It led to anger, frustration, jealousy, and guilt. It made me constantly compare my life to some ideal and not enjoy the life I had been given. These days I am trying more and more to live from the right list, the thankfulness list. I am accepting life as it is and seeing the countless, loving, blessings that our Heavenly Father gives us each day. It is leading me to more joy, peace, kindness, and love than I have ever known. It is helping me live the life I was meant to live.

It is fine to work to achieve your wishes in this life, but don't forget to count and cherish your blessings as well. God loves us so much and He wants us to be happy and grateful in our lives here. May we all turn our lives into one big Thank-You then. May we all live with love and joy.

Joseph J. Mazzella 
Announcement:
Not Thanksgiving for another 4-5 months? Fortunately God doesn't wait until the fall to pour out His blessings, but sends them on a daily basis. Why not set a new trend and give Hiim thanks, not just once a year or once a month or once a week, but every day?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 23 May 2019, 10:50 am

Welcome to the Nugget
May 23, 2019

Finding Strength
 bible

All banks closed. too bad. Airport shut down, that's life. No water or electricity, sorry!
That was our hometown in Bolivia each time a revolution exploded. Not far from us, only blocks from where we lived. Now, they are but ugly memories from the past.

But recently, my good friend was in the middle of a similar political unrest. Her mission trip ended. Airports closed. Electricity and public services minimized. And she had no way to get back home to the States.

Until, a miracle shone through. A travel agency found one flight available. She boarded the plane and the crowded aircraft had a surprise for her. They bumped her to first class. She's now home safe and sound.

Isn't that like life? We're going through each day, minding our own business. Being good, not bothering anyone. When suddenly a revolution of anxiety explodes in us--a diagnosis, a financial setback, a devastating situation, a chronic illness--all threaten to shut down the airport to peace. The bank where we find strength and energy is closed. And the electricity supply that had brightened our days is now off.

But when we least expect it, God has a flight waiting. One seat available in the first class of His love. Here are three secrets to find strength until we board that plane:
1) Know that it's not us but He who pilots the aircraft that takes us to healing, solutions, and answers
2) Accept the situation with gratitude as He is aware of every need. He collects every tear. He understands every sigh. And pours the grace we need for each moment.
3) Turn a deaf ear to the enemy's lies that whisper hopelessness, defeat and gloom. His lies are shut down with God's promises that have resonated with hope through the ages.

So if you find yourself I the middle of a revolution of fear, know the Lord's wings will cover you. You'll not be defeated, fall or sink because "...they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31, NKJV).

Father, I confess I feel defeated in face of tough moments, unforeseen setbacks and unexpected heartache. But now I know I can wait upon you. I can wait in expectation that you will grant me the strength I don't have. Hold me when I want to faint. And renew my strength to face each moment. In Jesus's name, amen.

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
The early church united in prayer, and as a result, miracles upon miracles happened. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded in modern times by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. Just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Check out the mini-series, "True Doctrine: A Pentecost Message"!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 18 May 2019, 9:00 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

May 18, 2019

Rising Above the "See" Level! Part 3

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us      Mortality...

"One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, 'So you're the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself--and us, too, while you're at it!' But the other criminal protested, 'Don't you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn't done anything wrong.' Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.' And Jesus replied, 'I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.'" (Luke 23:39-43 NLV)

Let's visit Calvary now on the first Good Friday, and see an amazing scene unfolding with an amazing side character who bears very close resemblance to both Ruth and Ittai's stories: The repentant thief on the Cross (Luke 23:39-43). What would one helpless dying man see in yet another dying man that he would seek a lasting relationship with this man, which would also guarantee him a place in paradise? Normally, such a gesture wouldn't make much sense, unless the man he was seeking was none other than Jesus Christ of Nazareth! Now this very Jesus, after his agonizing death on the Cross for all of humankind, will be one day ruling humankind from the very place of His death: Jerusalem (Isa 2:1-4/Rev 20:4)! 
As we talked about previously with regards to the perceptions of Ruth and Ittai the Gittite toward Naomi and David respectively: they did not linger on their seemingly hopeless situations, but rather on something more transcendental. Likewise, the perceptive thief did not see a helpless victim of injustice adorned with a crown of thorns on his head and nails in his hands and feet, but rather a Royal Dispenser of Justice; adorned with a golden crown on His head, a royal sceptre in His hands, and is seated on a glorious throne in the Millennial age of the future (Psa 2:4-7/Matt 25:31). Therefore, by aligning himself with that future King of the coming age, he was perfectly securing his eternal future.

Now onto a minor incidental subject not often touched upon in Christian circles: that of miraculously fast-tracking promised blessings. "You shall be with me in paradise today". Honestly speaking, crucifixion by tying a person to the cross does not lead to death in a day like nailing does. There may be an endless dispute amongst historians as to whether the thieves on either side of Jesus' cross were tied or nailed to their respective crosses. But the fact remains that if not for divine providence, (we see it being enacted in John 19:31-33 in the breaking of the thieves' legs to quicken their expiry), the thieves wouldn't have died that same day and therefore, the divine promise given to one of them would have remained unfulfilled. As the words of the Word (another name for Jesus-John 1:1) must be fulfilled at any cost (Matt 24:35), Divine providence made it so that the repentant thief enjoyed the presence of the Lord in paradise that very day in perfect fulfilment of His Divine promise.

Now that we're drawing close to the end of my message, dear friends, I would like to say this. Let us be known as wise "perceptive Christians" in the likeness of Naomi, Ittai or the repentant thief on the Cross, rather than as merely "seeing" Christians. When we see a fellow Christian in dire straits, without being judgmental or prejudiced, let us be sensitive to the fact that there is a Covenantal, Unchanging God "who wouldn't put off the smouldering wick" (Isa 42:3/Matt 12:20/Heb 13:8) with that suffering Brother. Let's resolve to do all that we can to bring glory to our Heavenly Father and succour to the suffering of others in need, whatever the cost. By taking such a God-hono uring stand, it can be said without an iota of doubt, immeasurable blessings will come our way in this world or the next (Matt 25:31-40), just as they did in the lives of three Biblical characters that we covered here today.

In conclusion, let it be said that our actions regarding our needy Christian brethren need to be guided not so much by the fact as "who they are or where they are in their life journey, but rather by the one as to who they are"!

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries  
Announcement:
Looking for tips on how to witness to your non-christian friends and family?  Check out "Fishers of men!" a two-part mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.

©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 ...Freely you have received, freely give....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 17 May 2019, 8:18 pm

Welcome to the Illustrator
Today's Bible Verse:
"Immediately the bleeding stopped, and she could feel in her body that she had been healed of her terrible condition." (Mark 5:25-29 NLT)

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe More Illustrations Contact us
Kathryn Kuhlman (1907-1976): Miracles of the Past, Part 12

"A woman in the crowd had suffered for twelve years with constant bleeding. She had suffered a great deal from many doctors, and over the years she had spent everything she had to pay them, but she had gotten no better. In fact, she had gotten worse. She had heard about Jesus, so she came up behind him through the crowd and touched his robe. For she thought to herself, 'If I can just touch his robe, I will be healed.' Immediately the bleeding stopped, and she could feel in her body that she had been healed of her terrible condition." (Mark 5:25-29 NLT)

Jesus healed this woman when doctors could not; and this same healing power still flows to all believers today.

All of the people that have been so far presented in this devotional series have been men. This would lead to the question: Can women also heal people?

The real answer to this is "no"! And neither can men! Healing only comes through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit!

However, women can pray for people to be healed just as well as men can. Kathryn Kuhlman certainly did...

Kathryn lived in the early 20th century. She didn't consider herself to have a specific healing ministry; rather, she loved to preach about the Holy Spirit. She loved to invite His presence to fill the room and touch hearts. She was very specific that any healing that happened during her meetings was not done by her; rather, it was done by the Holy Spirit. He is the one who heals.

Kathryn's healing ministry began in Franklin, Pennsylvania. She had spoken the previous evening about the Holy Spirit and had invited His presence into the room. That evening, just as she got up to speak again, she was interrupted by a woman who stood up in the audience. "Pardon me Miss, Kuhlman," the woman called out, "but I have a testimony to give. While you were preaching last night, I had a strange sensation in my body, and I knew I had been healed. I knew it! Today I went to my doctor, and he confirmed that I was healed!" Kathryn would later learn that this woman had been diagnosed with a tumor. When she asked for God’s Spirit to fill the room, He touched this woman, and now her tumor was gone.

One day, Miss Kuhlman began walking back and forth across the stage, praying silently for the presence of the Holy Spirit to fill the room. She then turned to invite those who needed healing to come to the stage. As people came forward, she said: "Someone is healed of cancer." The lady with cancer later went to her doctor and found out that her latest biopsy was actually completely normal. She no longer had any type of malignancy. God’s Spirit had touched her and she was healed.

Another day, a 5-year-old boy who was crippled from birth walked by himself up to the platform. He was healed by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Another person, a woman who had been crippled for 12 years, stood up and walked without any help as well. She, too, had received a touch of God’s Spirit.

Another time, there was a man had been using a pacemaker for the past eight months. When he returned home one day after hearing Miss Kuhlman preach, he found that the scar on his chest where the pacemaker was located was completely gone. When he went to his doctor he would learn that the pacemaker was completely gone! He was completely healed!

There are many, many other examples from Kathryn Kuhlman’s ministry, but I think you get the picture! Nothing can stop God’s Spirit from healing people. God loves us that much! When we truly trust in Him, even the most impossible mountains will be thrown into the sea!

Trust is important!

Rob Chaffart
Announcement:
The Answers2Prayer Altar Ministry is looking for volunteers who are fluent in foreign languages that would be willing to translate the Saviour’s Call into another language. Currently the Saviour’s Call and Prayer of Salvation are only available in English. Our goal is to make both available in a variety of different languages so that we can better reach others with message of salvation in Jesus Christ.If you are willing and able to help us with this please write and let us know."Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen" Galatians 1:3-5God bless,Lyn Chaffart

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 16 May 2019, 9:52 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

May 16, 2019

Rising Above the "See" Level! Part 2

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us      Instability...

"Then the king turned and said to Ittai, a leader of the men from Gath, 'Why are you coming with us? Go on back to King Absalom, for you are a guest in Israel, a foreigner in exile. You arrived only recently, and should I force you today to wander with us? I don't even know where we will go. Go on back and take your kinsmen with you, and may the Lord show you his unfailing love and faithfulness.' But Ittai said to the king, 'I vow by the Lord and by your own life that I will go wherever my lord the king goes, no matter what happens--whether it means life or death.'" (2 Samuel 15:19-21 NLT)

Heard of a Pakistani terrorist who would one day become a key general of the Indian army? Welcome to another similar, yet Biblical account which would fit perfectly in Ripley's of Believe it or not!; the David and Ittai the Gittite story. The residents of Gath were called the Gittites; note that a notorious Philistine warrior and a giant thorn in the side of the Israelites, Goliath, was also a Gittite. 1 Sam. 17:4.

Let's pick up from 2 Samuel Chapter 15 verse 13 onwards and what do we see? King David's situation, which was the very definition of instability! With the shocking news of rebellion of one of his favourite sons, Absalom, just revealed, the greatly unprepared (for civil war) King David basically presses the figurative panic button, and flees from Jerusalem, his capital city, with his loyal Jewish men in tow! Where would he flee for safety? Where and when would he re-organize his army? With these kinds of questions hanging before David, it would take quite a loyalist to throw his weight behind him now. In this "doom and gloom" scenario, it's safe to bet that David was quite bewildered to see a Philistine Asylum seeker named Ittai the Gittite marching right alongside his Jewish loyalists during the hasty retreat from Jerusalem. But what was David's reaction? Well , according to scripture...

"What are you doing here? Go on back with your men to Jerusalem, to your king, for you are a guest in Israel, a foreigner in exile. It seems but yesterday that you arrived, and now today should I force you to wander with us, who knows where? Go on back and take your troops with you, and may the Lord be merciful to you." (2 Sam 15:19-20 TLB)

And what was Ittai's perceptive response? Pointing back to scripture...

"I vow by God and by your own life that wherever you go, I will go, no matter what happens--whether it means life or death." (2 Sam 15:21 TLB)

Is this starting to sound like the Naomi-Ruth tale enshrined in Ruth 1:15-17? Doesn't the wise Law always insist on having two witnesses to underscore a point (Deut. 19:15), which in these cases both benefit from wise perceptivity?

Before the perceptive eyes of Ittai the Gititte, the image of David, though physically forlorn, was not one of instability, but rather one of security. Presently chastising but a covenantal God would never leave him or forsake him forever, (2 Sam. 7:8-16) but rather would guard him as the "apple of his eye" (Ps. 17:8).

Now what benefits came to Ittai, courtesy of his amazing perceptivity? Unbelievably, he's promoted to a commander in David's Army! Keeping this in mind, Ittai's background is it not an earth-shattering one, especially when we factor in the point that King David's army is also called the "Army of God" (1 Chron. 12:21-23 CJB). Boy, a despised gentile hailing from an enemy country now is helming the Lord's army! While such a juicy news piece would have been heaven-sent manna for the WSJ (had it been in circulation in the Biblical age), for the faithful lot who feed on God's word it is yet another reminder of how blessings would come one's way--on account of decision making borne out of wise perceptivity.

While on the subject of Absalom's rebellion, it wouldn't be out of place to state that out of two of David's constant counsellors (1 Chron. 27:33 TLB), the one who sided with Absalom, Ahithophel, went to an early grave whereas the other, Hushai the Archite, who threw in his lot with David, had a blessed role to play in influencing the outcome of that civil war.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries 
Announcement:
How is your relationship with God?  Does it need a boost?  Would you like to experience Him more fully in your life?  Why not boost it with a series of studies on the Song of Solomon?  Just follow this link!

©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 ...Freely you have received, freely give....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 11 May 2019, 1:50 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
May 11, 2010

Questions...Questioning...
Being Questioned...

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     Asking questions. Something we all do.

I've learned something over the years, however: People don't like to be questioned. When we question others, we display a huge lack of trust in their knowledge, abilities, experiences, etc., and showing lack of faith in someone sends them the clear message that they don't measure up in our eyes.

I don't blame people for not liking it when I question them, for I don't particularly like being questioned either. When someone comes to me asking why I do or say what I do and say, my tendency is to get--well--a bit defensive!

It has taken a bit of self-study, but I've come to realize that the defensiveness that arises whenever I'm questioned is rooted, most of the time, in insecurity. Maybe I'm feeling insecure about a decision, or maybe I'm feeling that my opinion isn't good enough, that I don't have enough knowledge, enough experience to be making decisions and speaking forth opinions. Maybe I'm doubting the decision in the first place. Maybe I'm just parroting something that someone else has said without giving it proper thought, and I don't want others to discover that I haven't thought it through completely.

Another hidden message given when we question others is that of accusation. When we are questioned, we actually feel accused!

The funny thing is that although most people hate being questions, we all tend to spend plenty of time questioning others. I am no different. Anytime I feel that what is said, or the decision that has been made, doesn't match up to my own interpretation, my own experiences or my own wishes, I tend to question!

This brings up a very interesting question: Is it right to question God? I mean, we are told to trust God, and doesn't questioning Him clearly show a lack of faith?

Unlike us, God doesn't appear to mind being questioned. We see this clearly in the tiny book of Habakkuk. Habakkuk the prophet, who likely lived some time prior to the Babylonian invasion, seems to have nothing but questions for God: "How long, O Lord, must I call for help?... Must I forever see these evil deeds? Why must I watch all this misery?" (Hab. 1:2a,3a NLT)

In fact, Habakkuk takes this even one tiny step farther by openly accusing God: "...But you do not listen! 'Violence is everywhere!' I cry, but you do not come to save." (Hab. 1:2b NLT)

Does God retort with fire and brimstone? Is there a lightning bolt thrown down from the sky to forever silence this annoying, accusatory prophet?

Interestingly, there is not. You see, God has no reason to feel insecure. Unlike humankind, He is all wise, all knowing, all powerful: "Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?' For from him and through him and to him are all things." (Rom. 11:33-36 ESV). When God does something, there is absolutely no room for error, and because He has no reason to feel insecure, His response to Habakkuk's questions--and his accusations!--is one of love: "The Lord replied, 'Look around at the nations; look and be amazed! For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn't believe even if someone told you about it...'" (Hab. 1:5 NLT). Not only does God not send down those lightning bolts, but He prepares the w ay to actually reveal more information to this belligerent prophet.

Thus we see that God is absolutely okay with our questions, and in His love, He uses our questioning minds to reveal more of Himself through our situations!

Want to know "why"?

Ask the God of ultimate wisdom and ultimate good! Just like He responded in love to Habakkuk of old, He is also anxious to reveal more of Himself to you as well!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Do the "seeing" really "see"? It's an interesting question. Join us next week for "Rising Above the 'See' Level", a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan, to see what the Bible has to say about the subject!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 09 May 2019, 9:29 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

May 9, 2019

Why does Life have to be so Hard?

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     During my recent visit to West Palm Beach, God had a wonderful surprise waiting for me. The lovely couple who hosted me quickly became my close friends. I learned an interesting fact about them.

"His closet is meticulously organized," my friend said about her husband. "All hangers are spaced evenly and all is perfectly placed in the exact spot.

"And how about yours?" I asked her.

She confessed hers wasn't quite the same. But that's okay. In all relationships, each one brings unique habits, methods, approaches, and attitudes. But more importantly, each has a specific task assigned to them.

The same in our relationship with God. He has His role, and we have ours.

But do you think I learned that lesson well? Not yet. Lately, as my family faces another dark valley, that lesson had to be drilled in me. Though we face struggles, hardships and heartache, that's ours to endure.

But God has His own role. In the midst of suffering, He has the serenity to calm our heart. In our struggles, He has the victory. In our heartache, He has the healing.

Here are five reasons why.

1. He promised that what we face will be temporary. What we fear will be defeated and what we need to do is not fret, worry, be anxious...but simply be still. "Moses answered the people, 'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still'" (Exodus 14:13-14, NIV).

2. He has a place for us where we can count on His favor. The favor that is enough for each moment. His favor to conquer all. And the favor that completely surrounds us. "Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield" (Psalm 5:12, NIV).

3. He provides the refuge. His protection is firm, constant and available. In fact, He said that we must dare to rejoice as we're nestled under His refuge. "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you." (Psalm 5:11, NIV).

4. He knows the army of negative thoughts that attack. He sees the enemies of our soul that taunt us. And He's aware of the weapons lifted against us. But He promised they have no power or means to harm us. He reassures: "No weapon forged against you will prevail..." (Isaiah 54:17, NIV).

5. And finally, He repeats, that yes, He will be the one to help us, to make us strong, to hold us up. And He commands us not to fear. "So do not fear, for I am with you: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you and help you; yes, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10, NIV).

When these promises wash our soul, the troubles seem smaller. The battle has an end. The victory is sure and the journey is bearable.

How about you? What battle are you facing? Are you giving the Lord room to fight for you? Are you counting on His victory? Are you anticipating triumph?

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
LESSONS FROM HANDICAPS!!!  Are there lessons you can learn from handicaps? Click here and see!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 11 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

April 11, 2019

Turning the Tables, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     Before we delve into today's topic, a brief description of the phrase "turning the tables" would benefit those of you who are unfamiliar with such a term... to reverse one's position relative to someone else, especially by turning a position of disadvantage into one of advantage (The Oxford Dictionary). 

An awl (a pointed object used usually for boring a hole- Deu 15:17), was considered "awful" to handle early on in a worker's life, but years and years of hard work and experience with the tool, it can become very useful in the right set of hands. But who would have thought that such a difficult tool would also lead to making the lives of blind people across the world easier? Welcome to the inspirational story of Louis Braille. Louis's father was a saddle maker, who lived in a small Northern France village named Coupvray. While a three-year-old Louis was playing in his father's workshop, he happened to take hold of an "awful awl" into his hands. He tried to replicate his father's work of boring a hole into leather with it. Unfortunately, Louis ended up accidentally piercing one of his eyes with the "awful object". This not only led to instant blindness in that eye, but also caused a severe infection, which spread to his other eye. Very soon, young Louis would sadly enter the world of total blindness; his future seemingly becoming as "dark" as the night. 

Fast forward 25 years later, and what do we "see"? After several twists and turns in his life, Louis Braille had invented what is known as the "raised dotted-system", using an "awesome awl" this time. All 26 letters of the Latin (English) alphabet were implemented by piercing holes suitably on pieces of leather. This system allowed the blind to read simply using their sense of touch. Today, the Braille language is used universally to essentially serve as a virtual "lamp in the darkness" for the blind. 

Coming at this from a spiritual perspective, my dear friends, have you ever contemplated how great our Almighty wise God can use objects, or situations in which were initially considered a "curse", only to end up become a "blessing" later on? In this five-part series, yours truly aims to focus on Biblical events using words that begin with the letter "T" (what else, considering the title), where one clearly discerns how the good Lord "turned the tables", so to speak, in order to foster blessings upon His chosen ones. 

Tree... 
The Tree of Knowledge of good and evil appeared quite appealing to the eyes of our first parents, Adam and Eve (Gen 3:6) They were both commanded by their loving creator to stay away from it; to only admire its beauty from a distance. The result of their "adulterous advance" towards it, is now inscribed in history. Oh yes, they ate of its fruit at the behest of the crafty tempter, bringing forth a hefty price upon themselves and all of mankind (Gen 3:1-19). The truth of the Tree of Knowledge brought in its wake spiritual darkness to all of humanity. This darkness can only be dispelled when one comes near yet another tree, which by its appearance, can be initially thought of as ugly. Friends, let us travel to the Tree (the cross) at Calvary. 

Love for God can be exhibited by implicit obedience to his commands, (2 John 1:6) but disobedience was found in the first Adam, when he was exposed to the lure of the Tree of Knowledge. However, there is a stark contrast between the first and final Adam (read Jesus... 1 Cor 15:45), whose personified obedience willfully let himself hang on the Cruel Tree (Gal 3:13) as per the Father's will (John 6:38/John 14:30-31), right in the middle of the Earth (Ezekiel 5:5). 

The Tree of Knowledge proved to be a bane for mankind, bringing in its wake spiritual ignorance. Ironically, the Tree (cross) of Foolishness (so-called by the scholarly Greek peers of Apostle Paul- 1 Cor 1:18) has been a cause for manifold blessings towards ushering in spiritual emancipation and enlightenment. The enticing, toxic words of the sly snake spoken, even while "hanging" from a tree, brought forth a terrible curse to humankind, whereas the energizing words proclaiming the completion of the redemption plan (John 19:30) spoken of by the suffering Savior, while also "hanging" from a tree; a cruel tree of execution (Gal 3:13/Deu 22:21). These words have heralded the free release from that curse to anyone appropriating it in his/her life (Romans 10:8-10). We who are all connected to the First Adam (genetically and spiritually) need not remain "chained" to him. Rather, we are now free to seek our liberation by looking with saving faith (John 3:14-15/Numbers 21:4-9) at the Final Adam, who completed the onerous work of providing free salvation at a great cost (can anyone truly put a price tag on the Saviour's sufferings?). 

The Gospel would be a palaver only to the perishing, blinded as they are, by the arch-enemy of every human soul (2 Cor 4:4). But to those being redeemed by it, it is the power of God in action (1 Cor 1:18-TLB). 

Trees...(Garden) 
If the first death was pronounced on mankind amidst the trees (read the Garden of Eden- Gen 3:19-20), then the Heavenly Father ensured that resurrection proclaiming victory over death also took place amidst the "trees" (Jesus rose victoriously from death in a "Garden" - John 19:41-42). 

Today, we are armed with a "Blessed hope" (Titus 2:13), and can look at our timeless foe known as "death" seemingly as it were, on its face and taunt "O Death, where is thy sting" (1 Cor 15:55), for Jesus rose from the Garden grave on the first Easter as the "first fruits"-- symbolizing the future resurrection of all the Christians (1 Thess 4:13-18-TLB). 

Prayer: Father, we commit our troublesome circumstances into Your hands. Steer us through them with Your Divine Wisdom. In Jesus' Name. Amen. 

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries  
Announcement:
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (Matt 18:20 NIV) Hallelujah!
©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 ...Freely you have received, freely give....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 09 Apr 2019, 11:26 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

April 9, 2019

Moments, Days, Years

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     "These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." (John 15:11 ESV)

When I was a young man I had a lot of ego and very little empathy. I thought I knew everything. I looked forward to fame and success. I can even remember once in college arrogantly telling one of my friends: "If only everyone listened to me then they would all be happy." I finally left school ready to take on the world. Little did I know the world was about to take on me.

In the years following college instead of success I found struggles. I had trouble finding work. The jobs I did work at were either temporary or back-breaking and none of them paid well. When my wife and I had children we were shocked to learn that not one but both of our sons had Autism and would need to be taken care of for the rest of their lives. I had no idea why this had happened to us and I was very angry at God.

In time, however, I began to change. My formally massive ego was shrinking fast and my empathy was beginning to grow. Instead of success, I found my joy in moments of love. Playing and laughing with my sons brought me so much happiness. My boys taught me more about peace, patience, kindness, joy, and unconditional love than I could have ever learned on my own. I began to share the lessons I learned through my writings and my life. I finally realized too that my purpose in this world had nothing to do with fame or success and everything to do with allowing God's love and light into my life and sharing it with everyone I could.

Always remember that moments of love become days of love and days of love become years of love. You may not be happy 100% of the time. No one can be in this world. Yet, in God's love you will find a joy no earthly success could ever give. Put all of your moments, days, and years to good use then. Live them with love.

Joseph J. Mazzella 
Announcement:
Do you ever wonder why the Holy Spirit is depicted as a dove?  Check out the recently published mini-series, "Dovetailing Some Dove Facts", and find out! 

©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 06 Apr 2019, 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

April 6, 2019

Follow Me! Do NOT Pass!
Lessons From Cape Breton, Part 10

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     Although our entire stay in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park could be described as nearly perfect, one of the few "flaws" was the fact that the Cabot Trail, which is the primary road around the park and through the Cape Breton Highlands, was under construction. There were bridges being reconstructed, road beds being graded, new railing being installed, fresh tar being laid, and fresh paint being put down.

The repairs resulted in long waits, followed by many kilometers of unpaved and sometimes ungraded roadways, often filled with potholes. This was inconvenient in the best of times, but when we were towing our trailer over these sections of road, it became more challenging, especially when we were forced to stop on loose gravel on a steep incline. Although we recognized the necessity of the road repairs, we couldn't have helped but wish that it was happening in a year when we were not visiting the island!

Due to the fact that most of the work zones areas were under active construction, most of these sections of road had a "pilot" vehicle to guide us safely through the best sections of the construction zones. These "pilot" vehicles were easily identified by the large sign on their rear bumpers: "Follow me. Do NOT Pass!"

The first time I drove behind one of these "pilot" vehicles, it occurred to me that just as there were sections of road being repaired, there are sections of our "road-through-life" that also appear to be "under construction". We wish those sections would just go away; yet without these "rough" spots, would we ever be able to have smooth roads? It's true that the "rough" spots on our walk through life don't always appear to be in the most convenient places. Just like the road construction was easier to deal with without the trailer, the problems life will throw our way are always easier to face when we're not cumbered by other things. After all, wouldn't that stomach bug that has hit your spouse and kids have been easier to deal with if you, yourself, weren't also sick with the same bug? And wouldn't the broken engagement have been easier without the stress of a master's thesis coupled with a r ecent death in the family?

The good news lies in the fact that there was a way around all of those sections of road construction. All we had to do was follow our assigned "pilot" vehicle. In the same way, we also have a "Pilot" when we're going through the rough times in our lives, a gentle Shepherd who leads the way: "The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need." (Ps. 23:1 NLT); "You are my flock, the sheep of my pasture. You are my people, and I am your God. I, the Sovereign LORD, have spoken!" (Ez. 34:31 NLT).

When we follow our Shepherd, we can be sure that, "He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name." (Ps. 23:2-3 NLT).

The problem is, we have difficulty with "following". We want to go our own way. After all, who would choose the hard times? But it is only when we follow that we can experience the peaceful streams, the renewed strength, the rest: "It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him." (Deut. 13:4 NIV).

Just like those "pilot" vehicles sported those signs on their bumpers, "Follow me. Do NOT Pass", Jesus also calls out to us, just as He did to Matthew of old, "Follow Me!" (See Matt. 9:9). It is only when we "follow" and "do not pass" that we can experience His blessings for us, that we can experience the best paths through the troubled times, that in the midst of our problems, we can still say, "Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever." (Ps. 23:4-6 NLT)

Is your road through life under construction? There's a "Pilot" vehicle to guide you through. Your only job is to: "Follow Me. Do NOT Pass!"

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
This is the 11th of a 13 part mini-series based on a fantastic trip that my husband and I made to Cape Breton, a beautiful island at the northern tip of the Canadian eastern-seaboard province of Nova Scotia in the Fall of 2017.This 3 week trip was inspirational in many ways, and some of the lessons we learned are being outlined in this series that has been appearing sporadically through the winter and spring of this year. For previously-published lessons from Cape Breton, please click here.

©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 04 Apr 2019, 3:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

April 2, 2019

Hand-Me-Downs

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     "We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God's Good News but our own lives, too." (1 Thessalonians 2:7-9, NLT)

Aside from socks and underwear at Christmas and an occasional new pair of sneakers, I never got any new clothes as a child. What I got were hand-me-downs. My coats, jackets, shirts, sweaters, pants, and even belts were all clothes that my older brothers had out grown and then been given to me. My clothes were often torn, sewed, and patched. They were never "in style." I didn't resent having to wear them, though. We weren't rich and new clothes were a luxury not a necessity. That is just the way it was. Most of my friends in school were dressed in hand-me-downs as well. 

Even today I often shop at thrift stores and rarely buy new what I can find used. It is just who I am. I happily reject the march of materialism that so many others follow and find my true treasures not in money but in people, not in stuff but in ideas, not in things from the stores but in feelings from the heart. 

Looking back too I realize that clothes weren't the only thing my Mom, Dad, and Nana handed down to me. They also handed down a deep compassion for other people and a desire to help them. They handed down a respect for this world and a delight in all living things be they flowers, plants, birds, or bugs. They handed down a sense of justice and fair play. They handed down a sense of pride in hard work and a job well done. They handed down a thirst for knowledge and wisdom. They handed down their kindness, good cheer, and happiness in doing good for others. They handed down a faith in God, awe for His creation, and joy in His love for us. Most of all they handed down their love. They loved me and instilled in me a love for God, myself, others, and life. They also instilled in me a desire to share all of these things with my own children and with everyone else. 

What are you going to hand down in this life? What are you going to pass on to others? What are you going to share with the world? Whatever your hand-me-downs are give them with love. Make them gifts from the heart that touch the hearts of those around you. Make them treasures from your soul that others will treasure as well.

Joseph J. Mazzella  
Announcement:
Just what IS love, anyway? Check out "Lessons In Love From 1 Corinthians 13", a mini-series by Soyna Richards, to find out!

Welcome to the Nugget

April 4, 2019

Trials to Triumph

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     I turned toward a new friend seated beside me during a writer's conference. "He's got to be kidding! Did I hear him right? Did he say what I thought he said?"

Those questions ricocheted in this crazy chica's head when I heard him described what he did on the side.

I let out a quick gasp as he related, with a matter-of-fact tone, that he made jewelry out of, are you ready? ...moose droppings!

I pinched my nose. "Tell me this is a joke," I said.

"Nope." (Friends, check the picture above to prove it.)

Being from Alaska, he explained the process. And I tried really tried to understand this craft. My imagination went wild with not-so-pleasant images.

But, amigos got to spill it all. This brought to mind the yucky droppings of trials that had paraded through my days--blindness, my son's death, the struggles of sorrow--all gave my life a bad smell of heartache.

But viola! God turned the trials to triumph as He saw beyond the pain, the sin, the ugly scenes and transformed it all to a shining jewel for His glory.

No, amigos, don't you think for a minute I'm saying this chica is a jewel. But the triumph God ushered certainly is.

Your triumph is waiting for you too. In the horrible, ever-present battle you're facing, He's got his tools and is at work too. He is at work to clean, shine and make it glow.

And during the process, all you have to do is:

1) ...receive the joy for the moment. The joy that comes because you know He's in control. The joy that resonates even when we don't see the end result.

2) ...choose gratitude in expectation of what He will do.

3) ...look back at ways He transformed other smelly circumstances in the droppings of life.

4) ...spray the perfume of repentance on that smelly sin. When He's done He will showcase His victory in you.

Life sometimes does stink. But no matter how unbearable the stench of sin or sorrow is, "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8 NIV).

Father, from a discarded soul, tainted with sin, smelling of pride, you polished life, beauty and sparkle through your son Jesus. Thank you that our life now has a glow of salvation, of freedom, of joy and hope. In His name we thank you. Amen

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Sometime early in His ministry, Jesus had an interesting encounter with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. We aren't told much about this particular Pharisee, but Jesus' short encounter with him, recorded in John 3:3-20, is packed with essential life-giving nuggets of Truth. Please check out "Jesus and Nicodemus," A Study on Rebirth! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 14 Mar 2019, 8:21 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

March 14, 2019

The Power of Words

By Answers2Prayer 
    Oh, those words that can cut right through! And then there are those that can soothe our pain.

Last week, I stepped to the counter at my doctor's office. "Here is your referral for your blood work," the receptionist said. But her words, though simple and mundane, were delivered in a delightful, pleasant tone.

I smiled. "Thank you."

Then I leaned toward the desk and added, "And stay as sweet as you are."

Her reaction surprised me.

"What did you say?" She said then paused. "That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me lately."

What? I gave a simple ordinary comment and it touched her. Can our words have that power?

I think they do. So, when hubby came home that night I gave him the usual hug and after a quick peck, I said, "Do you know how much I look forward to you coming home?"

He picked me up and twirled me around. "...So sweet," he said.

There you go, my theory proven. Words spoken are like a fishing line. Cast them out and you're sure to reel something in.

And that something depends on us. Caring words reel in pleasant results. Conversely, raw words cut through the heart.

Listen to what L. Tomlin once said, "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

But the contrary is also true; people have a deep need to be encouraged. They have a longing to feel valued, appreciated and accepted. Our words can speak to that need.

And the effort is easy. Positive and kind words are available at all times. And even better good news is that our words are the beginning of the love God commands we must extend to others...even strangers.

Here's the true test.

I decided to use this approach with telemarketers. Whenever they call, I search and choose words carefully.

I answer the phone. "Did you say your name was Mary?" I ask. "Well, Mary you sound like you're a nice person. So very sorry that I can't accept what you're offering. But what I'll do is pray for God to bring success in your life. Is that okay?"

There's usually silence. But one woman seemed touched because her voice choked as she said, "Thank you. I needed to hear that today."

We all have that power. Those sounds that come from our lips called words make a difference. They can change an attitude. Transform negativity. And ring a bit of joy into an otherwise gloomy life.

No wonder God said, "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit" (Proverbs 18:21 NIV)

And as we speak life into others, the beauty is that what we say also comes back with positive, satisfying, and pleasant feelings that make our soul happy.

Delight in that feeling as you consider that...
-Words are free.
-They require little effort to say them.
-They're always available.
-They can be chosen with love.
-They can turn a life around.
-They can calm anger down.

Speaking loving, sincere words are like tracing a colorful rainbow across the gray skies of someone's life.

Let's pray.

Father, thank you for the power of my words, may I use them to make a difference, to bring your light into the darkness of others, and may I be quick to praise and slow to tear down. In Jesus' name, amen.

What influence have your words had lately?

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Check out the mini-series, "Of Elect and Select"! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 12 Mar 2019, 11:04 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

March 12, 2019

God's Math

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'" (Matthew 25:37-40, NLT)

When I was young I was great at math. I had started playing cards with my Mom, Dad, Nana, and brothers when I was only four years old. All of those pleasant evenings at the kitchen table playing "Knock" and "Rummy" had made me very good at addition and subtraction. It gave me a head start over the other first graders. I was soon at the top of my math class and I stayed there until high school when a thing known as Algebra both kicked my butt and befuddled my mind.

After I was grown up, however, I was introduced to an even more complicated form of math: "God's Math". It was quite different from any math I had ever known and I had a terrible time learning it. It was based on the truth that "It is in giving that we receive."

I am sorry to say that I fought learning this for a long time. I hoarded my money and spent it only on my family and myself. I never gave a dime to charity and ended up feeling poor, miserable, isolated and alone. This finally changed one day at the local grocery store. There was a box there for donations to the local food pantry. I had already bought my family's weekly groceries and was about to check out when something stirred in me. I picked up another big bag of rice and put it in my cart. As I was walking out the door I quietly dropped it in the food pantry box. I left the store feeling like the richest person in the world. I felt joyous, connected, at one with God and everyone else. My wallet was a little lighter but my heart so much fuller. It was the beginning of a wonderful journey of learning about love and giving that goes on to this day.

If you want to truly live your life here you have to do God's math. You can't live just for yourself. You have to give of yourself. You can't just love yourself. You have to love others as yourself. Give from your heart then. Give your goods. Give your talents. Live your life with love. If you do then you will receive so much more from life and from God.

Joseph J. Mazzella 
Announcement:
Ever wonder about the Omniscience of God? Ever wonder if little acts of obedience are important? Check out the mini-series, "Omniscient God" by clicking here.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 07 Mar 2019, 9:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

March 7, 2019

A Little Yellow Face

By Answers2Prayer 
   "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16, NIV)

It had been a long winter. Bitter cold, snowy days had hit us again and again. On the warmer days there had been little sunshine only cold, icy rain. The sun had become such a rare sight that I had taken to looking at a picture of it on my wall calendar to remember what it looked like. The grass had remained brown and dormant in the meadows. The deer had come out of the woods and started digging through the fallen leaves in our yards looking for what acorns they could find. My own backyard had turned into a muddy mess that tried to steal the shoes right off my feet as I walked on it. My heart ached and longed for Spring and my own good cheer had trouble rising up against the continuous, cold, gray days.

The rain poured down on me as I walked my dogs, holding their leashes in my icy fingers. I looked up at the sky hoping to see the sun smiling down with its warm, golden face. But it was no use. The sky was as overcast as ever and Spring still seemed an eternity away. It was then, however, that I saw it. It wasn't the smiling face of the sun in the sky but a little, yellow face peeking through the mud. It was a dandelion, the first of the year and it filled my heart with hope and joy. I smiled and thanked God for this little sign that Winter would soon be over and that Spring would arrive bringing life to this world once again. I felt my good cheer rising up at last and I promised God that I would share it with everyone I could.

One day that tiny dandelion's seeds will fill the meadow with little, yellow faces smiling up from the ground. Its work will make this world a better and more beautiful place. May we all do the same. May we all shine our light and share our love even on the coldest and grayest days. May we all help God to share a bit of Spring in the midst of Winter. May we all work to make this world better and brighter even when it is at its darkest.

Joseph J. Mazzella 
Announcement:
Burdened by endless trouble? Feel like you're stuck in the valleys of problems? Wonder why you can't spend at least SOME time on the mountain tops? Check out "Mountain Top Experiences", an eight part mini-series designed to help us view the peaks and valleys of life from GOD'S perspective!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 03 Mar 2019, 11:21 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

March 2, 2019

A Good Thing? Part 1: No Propane...Lessons from Cape Breton, Part 8a

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     (In the fall of 2017, my husband and I made an unforgettable trip to Cape Breton, a beautiful island at the northern tip of the Canadian eastern-seaboard province of Nova Scotia. This 3-week trip was inspirational in many ways, and some of the lessons we learned will be outlined in this series that will be appearing sporadically through the winter and spring of this year. For previously-published lessons from Cape Breton, please click here.)

We were aware that we would encounter colder weather in Cape Breton. We were, after all, leaving in September, but no problem! Our new trailer came equipped with a propane-operated furnace. As an additional precautionary measure, I also wrapped an extra blanket in a plastic bag and stowed it in a storage compartment under the bed.

As anticipated, the nights were cool, and we used the furnace before going to bed and first thing in the morning. There was that one night, however, where "cool" was an understatement, and before we could get back to our trailer that night, the chill had permeated every part of our little home on wheels.

Unfortunately, when I pushed the furnace "on" button, nothing happened. Our propane tank was completely empty...

It was nearly midnight, and because we didn't know how far or where we would have to go to refill our tank, we decided to huddle under coats, mitts and blankets instead; and with this in mind, I crawled under the bed to pull out that extra blanket.

But wait...The bag it was wrapped in was...Sopping wet...And heavy...Far heavier than it should have been...What???

If there was any good news in the story, it was that the wool blanket had acted like a sponge, which is why the leak in the trailer plumbing took us so completely by surprise. This didn't help our temperature dilemma, however, and we'll just say it was a long, cold night...

The next morning found us on the hunt for the source of the leak. After searching for an hour, we discovered that some "helpful" camper had closed our outside drain, and the water from the sink had simply backed up and flooded the storage compartment. After mopping up the excess water, we then set out to "fix" the problem of no propane, only to discover that the nearest 24-hour propane-filling station was exactly 3 kilometers down the road...

Wait! Why did we have to run out of propane on the coldest night of the trip? Why weren't we aware that we could refill our tank at any time of day or night, just three minutes down the road? Why God, why...?

Yes, it was a tempting question to ask. We could have also asked "why" the engine light on our new tow vehicle came on just 50 kilometers after leaving home, and "why" it rained...the only truly rainy day...just when we were scheduled to hike the last of the Highland's National Park trails. We could also ask "why" our first camp was one of those open affairs where we felt squashed between hundreds of rigs that were three and four times our size, and "why"...

Well the list could go on, but as I contemplated this, God began placing the answers to the "why" questions on my heart: Why had it rained on our trail? Because God knew that we were coming into a town that had a service shop for our car. The extra time we had due to not being able to hike the trail allowed us to have the time to service the vehicle. Why was our first camp so unromantic? Because God knew there was a major windstorm on the way. He knew that our little 12 foot fold-down trailer would not have been able to ride out the storm without toppling over. Those huge rigs provided us shelter from the storm. And finally, why did our propane tank run out on the coldest night of the trip? Because God knew about the leak when we didn't, and He knew that the cold would be the only thing that would drive us to go after that blanket!

Life is full of frustrations. Yours may be a lot more serious than the petty inconveniences I've mentioned above; nonetheless, sometimes the answer to the "why" question is that God is actually using what we feel is a very negative set of circumstances to "protect" us from something worse. Sometimes He allows these hard times to "prepare" us for even harder times to come, and sometimes He uses the problems to reveal other problems that could potentially have far worse outcomes.

Remember, we don't go through hard times alone. God is there: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Ps. 23:4 ESV).

His love is still our umbrella. He is still our shelter in the time of storm: "O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love." (Ps. 59:17 ESV).

And perhaps, rather than continually asking "why", we should instead begin to praise Him: "I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth." (Ps. 34:1 ESV).

Let's determine to bless the Lord, especially in the hard times, for what He is busy doing in the background: "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Rom. 8:28 ESV).

Propane tank dry on the coldest night of the trip? Don't despair. Instead thank God for using this to reveal the leak in the trailer's plumbing!

Bless the Lord!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
NO MORE EMAIL ADDRESSES
To protect against SPAM, some Nugget writers have asked to no longer have their email addresses published in The Nugget. Should you wish to contact the author of a particular devotional directly, and the email address is not included, please send your email here, and it will be forwarded directly to the author. If you have any questions, please contact Lyn by clicking here!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 26 Feb 2019, 10:01 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
bible
February 26, 2019

Be Still and Know that I am God...

Lessons From the Psalms, Part 6: Ps. 46
 bible

Today's lesson focuses on the often-quoted Ps. 46:

"Be still, and know that I am God;
   I will be exalted among the nations,
   I will be exalted in the earth." (vs. 10 NIV)

I, for one, have often been blessed by this verse. When problems and worries rise up around me, all I can see in my troubled soul is turbulent waters, and God seems so far away from my reality. When I make the effort to meditate upon these words, however, my heart quiets, my soul calms, and I am filled with the assurance that the God who is exalted among the nations, who is exalted in the Earth, has got my problems--in His hands!

I would encourage each of you to memorize this verse, and as soon as the stormy waters of trials begin to hit, mediate on it. Repeat it over and over in your mind. You will be amazed at the difference, for as you do, your mind will stop its downward spiral of replaying your problems and all the potential negative scenarios to focus on the One who is exalted!

But wait a minute. This familiar passage is verse 10 of 11. What can we learn from the surrounding verses?

The psalm begins with an important reminder:

"God is our refuge and strength,
   an ever-present help in trouble." (vs. 1 NIV)

What does it mean that God is our ever-present help in trouble?

Psalms 46 gives us the answer:

"Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
   and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
   and the mountains quake with their surging." (vs. 2-3 NIV)

With God as our ever-present help in trouble, we have no need to fear!

But wait. Who wouldn't be afraid when their spouse passes away?

Yet Psalm 46 reminds us that we do not need to fear, "though the earth give way."

Well what about the loss of my home? How can I not be afraid?

"though…the mountains fall into the heart of the sea..." 

Contemplating the Lord's power gives us the assurance we need that He can and will handle what we are going through, and this makes it easier to give Him the problem!

But what if it isn't a solitary problem? Life usually brings trouble in bunches. Who wouldn't be afraid when that cancer diagnosis comes along with multiple other health problems, just at that time you lose your job and your teenager goes into a bout of rebellion?

Yet Psalm 46 tells us we do not need to fear, "though… [the sea's] waters roar and foam @and@ the mountains quake with their surging."

It doesn't matter how many serious the problem is or how many are piling on at once: God's got this! For:

"There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
   the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
   God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
   he lifts his voice, the earth melts." (vs. 4-6 NIV)

The problem is, when we focus only on our problems, no matter how significant they truly are, they begin to mushroom in our eyes. We can learn from Psalms 46 to mediate upon the works of the Lord instead. As we repeat these truths in our minds, our problems will seem to decrease as our faith grows strong: God is within us, we will not fall! God will help us at the break of day! The troubles may uproar and it may seem that everything we have worked so hard for is falling around us, but the Lord lifts His voice and the Earth melts!

God has got this and we do not need to be afraid, for:

"The Lord Almighty is with us;
   the God of Jacob is our fortress." (vs. 7, 11 NIV)

Interesting that this verse is repeated twice! God is trying to get our attention, to help us know beyond a doubt that no matter what you face today, He is your fortress!

The Psalm still doesn't stop there. It goes on to spell out for us the glory and might of the God of Jacob, the One who is our fortress, the One who invites us to:

"Come and see what the Lord has done,
   the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease
   to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
   he burns the shields with fire." (vs. 8-9 NIV)

God has nothing to hide. He invites us to observe and contemplate what He has done in the past, for in doing so, we will draw strength, our faith will increase and we will be overcome with the assurance that the God who has done all those things…has got your problems!

Our job is simply to:

"Be still, and know that I am God;
   I will be exalted among the nations,
   I will be exalted in the earth." (vs. 10 NIV)

Overcome with troubles and temptations? Be still. Remember what God has done in the past. Remember that He is your fortress. Remember that He will be exalted in your troubles and temptations! Be still and know that He is God!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
In response to recent requests from subscribers, the Nugget will be featuring a devotional based on the book of Psalms once a month. We pray you will be blessed by this focus on the one book of the Bible that Jesus quoted the most.

©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."t>
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 23 Feb 2019, 10:20 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

February 23, 2019

Bunnies...Everywhere! Lessons From Cape Breton, Part 7

By Answers2Prayer
   (In the fall of 2017, my husband and I made an unforgettable trip to Cape Breton, a beautiful island at the northern tip of the Canadian eastern-seaboard province of Nova Scotia. This 3-week trip was inspirational in many ways, and some of the lessons we learned will be outlined in this series that will be appearing sporadically through the winter and spring of this year. For previously-published lessons from Cape Breton, please click here.)

One of the highlights of our trip to Cape Breton was our visit to the Two Rivers Wild Animal Park. Situated in Huntington, Nova Scotia, it is home to many of the native creatures of Cape Breton. It isn't a typical zoo, however. Rather, most of the animals in this park are rescue animals that cannot be released into the wild, and care has been taken to create a large and natural environment for each creature.

Unfortunately, "natural environment" also means thousands of hiding places, and the animals were often hard to find; and on one notable occasion, the sought-for animals were actually not in their pen...

The map indicated it was the bunny pen, but after searching the enclosure for about 10 minutes, we told ourselves the rabbits were hiding and moved on. A bit farther down, however, we were startled on three separate occasions by the sight of a rabbit feeding in the grass along the footpath. These bunnies were obviously not wild, for they hopped along slowly, turning this way and that, as if posing for the many pictures that we were taking. In the end, we realized that the only reason we hadn't found rabbits in the bunny pen was that they weren't actually even in their pen...

Too bad we didn't think to ask the zoo keepers about the bunnies...We could have saved ourselves the 10 minutes we spent searching the bunny pen...

It is no secret that life brings us plenty of opportunities to make decisions. Some are innocent things, such as, "where will we go on vacation this year?" Or "What should I do this afternoon?" Because we are all human, it is in our nature to seek the answers on our own: "Well I've always wanted to visit Australia..." or "The basement sure needs to be cleaned!"

Sometimes the decisions we are required to make involve troubled times. Here again we tend to seek our own, logical answers: Lost that job? Pay a few visits to JobGym, shoot off a few resumes, go on unemployment! Car problems? Go out and buy a new one, and be sure to get the make and model that you have always wanted, no matter what the cost. You owe it to yourself! Got sore knees? Find an orthopedic surgeon who will do knee surgery!

These solutions are all very logical. The problem is, sometimes our "logical" solutions may not be the best ones for us. In the end, the knee surgery only aggravated the knee pain. JobGym didn't have jobs for you, and you weren't eligible for unemployment. The car of your dreams resulted in significant debt. So did that trip to Australia, and the basement flooded before you could get the cleaning done...

The point is, when we follow after the "logical" solution, the results aren't always what we would envision them to be. It is like we are searching the "bunny pen" when there are actually no bunnies in the pen at all!

Just like the empty bunny pen didn't mean no bunnies, however, our lack of positive outcomes doesn't necessarily mean the solutions aren't there. It just means that our "logic" isn't broad enough to find them. It means we are searching in all the wrong places.

Where is the right place to look? Solomon, the world's wisest man, tells us to seek "wisdom": "Get wisdom; get insight;...Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom..." (Prov. 4:5-7 ESV).

In other words, in order to ensure that we always make the right decisions in life, we should seek God's counsel. The good news is, the Bible tells us this wisdom is free for the asking: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (James 1:5 ESV).

God doesn't mind telling you which car is the right one to buy. He is happy to let you know if that knee surgery is right for you, and as the Creator of the universe, He can "create" just the right job for you if you seek His wisdom to know where to look. In the same way, He will provide insight as to where and when to take that vacation, and even if you should take it at all!

What do you say, friends? Do we waste our time looking for "bunnies" where there are none? Do we simply write it all off as "no solutions available"? Or do we ask God for the wisdom we need to make the best decisions possible?

I don't know about you, but I think I'll ask the zookeeper next time where I might find the bunnies; and I think I'll consult with the God of the universe as to where to look for the decisions I need to make in life.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
BIBLE STUDYGreat news, our latest Bible Study is finally out. Basking in God's Unfailing Love, An Open Invitation to Experience God Personally To a world gone mad, trying to get to know Jesus may seem foolish. However if you give Him a try, you will desire to get to know Him more and more at the deepest level possible. His relationship with you will be more precious compared to any other human relationships out there. Enjoy getting to know Him.

Come explore it here!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 21 Feb 2019, 11:16 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

February 21, 2019

Happiness

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     Gotta love this friend. She made me laugh with her story.

While a favorite cake I made baked in the oven, I put my feet up and began reading a print catalog. I saw an item that interested me.

In order to see the photo a bit larger, I simply touched the picture. I expected it would load additional info with a larger picture.

Nothing happened. So, I touched it a few more times until I realized DUH! It's not going to load anything else. It can't load. It's not digital...it's print!

I laughed, and you might have, too. But how often you and I have done the very same thing? We've tried and tried to enlarge God's love.

When the ugliness of life turns dark and tears soak our pillow, we want God to be large enough to ease our sorrow. We want to enlarge His power to quickly erase our heartache. And we definitely want to increase His understanding of the yuckiness of our situation.

Who visits me now? 
Then we go to the next stage. Self-pity visits and settles besides us on the couch of life, and biting our lower lip because happiness left us, we so desperately wish His voice to be big enough to bring it back. Or at least loud enough to order our gloom to go away.

I know this first hand because I've been there. At 31, enjoying my role as a Mom to my 3-, 5–, and 7-year-old sons, an intruder came and robbed my happiness. It was called Retinitis Pigmentosa. The dreaded hereditary disease dropped a black curtain over my days, leaving me completely blind.

Desperation, not a nice sensation. 
And in that darkness, I furiously wanted to tap the surface of my faith and make God large, super large to look down upon me and say, "I'm big enough to grant relief to your pain. I will give your sight back."

But He didn't. And so, I went to bed with wrinkled tissue in hand, trying to suppress my cries, hoping my husband wouldn't hear his blind wife sob her night away.

Hubby didn't hear me, and apparently, God didn't either. He seemed small, distant, and aloof to my heartache.

Give me the end of the story. 
So, what happened? Some of you have already read my books and know the rest of my story. But let me remind you that the light shone in my heart when I took a long sigh and got quiet, really quiet.

Since my eyes stopped working, my hearing became sharper. With earphones securely on, I listened to God's Word. It was His voice speaking to me. So clearly, he repeated the verse in the book of Matthew.

He said that I was more than a fool. I was first looking to see again. I was obsessed in being a "normal" person. I sought first to be a sighted Mom and wife. But His Word was saying, stop that nonsense. Instead, seek me first. And guess what! All the stuff you're looking for will be added to you. (This is not a quote from the Bible, but rather, my bold paraphrase and interpretation of Matthew 6:33.)

Taking action. 
And so, I did. I put on my eyeglasses of obedience and began my search...of Him. In doing so, I stepped back and realize that my blindness was no match to the size of His provision. My darkness was insignificant compared to the brightness of His light.

Then all turned around. All fit perfectly where it belonged. No more desperately seeking to see again. The eyes of my heart saw His promises with 20/20 spiritual vision. What glory!

Now what? 
How sweet the truth that God is already large enough to conquer anything. That's why my seeking never stopped. Today I seek Him, with fervor, with diligence, with passion, and with expectation.

Joy has been visiting each night, Hubby's respect and admiration repeats each time he says he loves me. My sons grew up strong, capable and loving.

And the things God said He would add...well, He multiplied them instead.

How about you?
I write these lines because He's probably whispering the same to you: What in the world are you seeking? Are you searching what this world cannot hold? What it cannot give you. Or what it cannot answer?

Seek Me, God says. And watch; just watch how powerfully big and mighty I am. Watch what I will do.

Father, keep me humble enough to first and above all seek you. Keep me bold enough to declare the size of your mighty power, perfect enough to meet my every need. In Jesus' name, amen.

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Would you like to make a difference in the world?  Why not join the Answers2Prayer Ministry team?  We have many volunteer positions.  By joining in, you can help in carrying out the Great Commission: "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in Heaven and on Earth have been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" (Matt. 28:18-20 NIV)Curious about what God truly wants the most from us?  Check out Written on the Heart! If you feel compelled, let us know by sending us an email.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:53 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

February 14, 2019

How to Find True Love

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us     Looking for love in all the wrong places. Remember that song popular a few years back? The lyrics resonated with millions because they probably did that very thing.

The other day, I looked in hubby's direction, fist planted on my hip. "You mean you wouldn't get up in the middle of the night and, knowing that noise scared me, you wouldn't take care of it?"

"Well," he paused, "I might have maybe when we first got married. But After 41 years of marriage, I don't know."

I tried to give him a hateful look. But he didn't give me a chance because he gave me a quick kiss on my cheek. "Only kidding," he said.

Ha! Maybe not. The truth is that through our marriage, our love has changed. It resembled the seasons of the year. Some years saw the freshness of spring as we began a family---joy blended with the exciting stage of parenthood. The summer brought the warmth of affection, particularly when things went well. And even coldness in the winters when we both needed to grow, mature and learn.

Yes, hubby and I have experienced all levels of love, all forms, and in various intensities.

Our love changed because we're only creatures in the learning mode of life. Not so with Jesus. He loved us even before we could be called His children. He loved us enough to die for us. His love didn't diminish when we shrugged at His instructions and went our own way. And His love remained constant even when fear threatened to consume us. Could we say Jesus is the only true love, ready to defend us when noises of adversity scare us?

We can count on the fact that His love never changes, never wavers, and, joy of joys---never, ever will it leave us.

And if that weren't enough, that true love carries the promise that we'll be filled with the fullness of God. So "...you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge---that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:17-19 NIV).

Father, I praise you because I no longer have to keep looking. Your love is mine. And for me, that's enough. In Jesus' name, amen.

What kind of love fills your life today?
Janet Eckles

Announcement:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. We invite you to read previously-published devotionals from the Book of John by clicking here.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next