World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 11:31 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 11:24 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 11:01 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 10:14 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 10:06 pm by Admin

» The Great Tragedy - Greg Laurie Devotion
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 10:00 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 9:39 pm by Admin

» Europe resolution on Zelenskyy’s “peace formula”
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 9:03 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 8:42 pm by Admin

» Israel Judaica and Roman Hadrian
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 4:34 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 2:33 pm by Admin

» Ancient Hatred Reviving? Vatican
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 12:53 am by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyYesterday at 12:27 am by Admin

» Buried Facts About The Gaza War
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyFri 17 May 2024, 11:33 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyFri 17 May 2024, 10:34 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyFri 17 May 2024, 10:26 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyFri 17 May 2024, 10:22 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyFri 17 May 2024, 9:44 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyFri 17 May 2024, 9:26 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 EmptyThu 16 May 2024, 11:25 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 16 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Wed 05 Sep 2018, 9:15 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

September 4, 2018

A Grateful Soul

By Answers2Prayer 

"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love." (Romans 5:3-5 NLT)

It has been a rough time for my family this Summer. We went through weeks of stress and strain. New problems continually popped up that drained on our patience and taxed my meager savings. I worked harder than I had in a long time and didn’️t keep my good cheer nearly as much as I wanted to. I found myself praying and talking to God a lot, asking for us to just make it through this rough patch and get back to our normal lives.

Now that our lives are almost back to normal I find myself being much more thankful for the things I normally took for granted. In a sense my struggles opened my eyes to my blessings. Now I thank God for electric lights and dry clothes. I thank God for hot showers and clean dishes. I thank God for air conditioning on hot afternoons and heat on cold nights.

In addition, I have gained a heightened appreciation for all the blessings our Heavenly Father has given me in this life. I thank God every day for my wonderful children, for my dogs and cat, for living in these beautiful mountains with their colorful leaves and breath taking sunsets. I thank God for my daily bread and for always having just what I need. I thank God for the ability to share His love and light in my writings and in my life.

I have also learned something very important from this difficult Summer: a grateful soul helps you to create a happy life. When you open your eyes, your mind, your heart and your soul to the billions of blessings that our Heavenly Father gives us every single day then it is easy to be happy. It is easy to share your love. It is easy to find joy in this world and to bring joy to this world. A grateful soul awakens within you the knowledge of just how much God loves you. A grateful soul reminds you that you too are a Child of God, capable of doing so much good in this life. A grateful soul helps you to become the person you were always meant to be. 

Joseph J. Mazzella  
Announcement:
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 02 Sep 2018, 9:14 am

Welcome to the Nugget

September 1, 2018

Of Scars: Scary and Not-So-Scary!!! Part 3

By Answers2Prayer 
  In the concluding part of our series on "Biblical Scars", today we shall focus on two more types of the same...

Supernal and Sublime...

"'What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him'--these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit." (1 Cor. 2:9-10 ESV). 

One of the supernal and sublime glories which doubtless await those who carried the "Scar of the Cross" (in their hearts) in their sincere walk with the Lord would be another "Eternal scar of glory" in their foreheads. Let the Scripture take over at this stage...

"...and His Name will be on their foreheads" (Rev. 22:4 ESV).

When one considers that His Name is matchless (Phil 2:9), one would get a faint idea of the glories awaiting him/her at the "other end of the Horizon". No wonder Paul says, when comparing our present "sufferings" with the stored-up "glories": "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." (Rom. 8:18 ESV)

Scary and Shirk...

In the last days, the False Prophet, at the behest of the "King" (Anti-Christ) will insist that everyone bear a "scar" on their hand or forehead. In our day of microchips, this actually seems like a plausible thing! In so doing, they are nose-thumbing, so to speak, the Scriptural instruction and the compliance thereof (Ex 13:9 TLB) expected of God's people during the Biblical times. 
Those who "wear that scary (spiritually-speaking that is) scar", without shirking it, will come directly under the scanner of God's wrath (Rev. 16). Talk about "out of the frying pan, into the fire!" 

For all those reading this piece, a gentle--albeit firm--warning...If you have not accepted Christ yet as your Saviour, and if the results of His saving grace (recorded in Acts 9:31) seen in His people (who personify "the fear of the Lord and the comfort of the Holy Spirit") do not apply to you, then now is the time for you to take that "leap of faith" (2 Cor 6:2). Please do not delay. I would urge you to pray this prayer of confession sincerely and immediately:

"Heavenly Father, I am a sinner by birth and choice. I believe Your Son Jesus as the Scriptures foretold came into this World and died an atoning death for my sins. I accept Him as my Lord and Saviour, this very moment. Release that Heavenly comfort of the Holy Spirit into my heart, as proof of your forgiveness of all my sins and the birth of a new life in me. In Jesus' Name I Pray. Amen".

This Writer who prayed this prayer 33 years ago, and by His grace is "walking in the fear and in the comfort of His Holy Spirit" thence, is always available to clarify all of your Biblical queries, especially on all the signs which are all around us pointing towards the inevitable imminent second coming of Christ. Please reply to this email and ask for my address. I will be happy to respond to you...Until the rapture, that is!

Prayer: Father, it is my earnest prayer that if there are any readers of this piece to whom Acts 9:31 does not apply, please stir-up their hearts to make the confessional prayer immediately to accept Your Son as their Saviour. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
Many of you have written in asking about my recent experience with Breast Cancer, and I want to thank each of you for caring, and especially for your prayers. I recently had my first follow-up with Oncology, and I am pleased to report that it went very well! You are invited to read some of the highlights of my ride with God through this valley of my life at Cancer Experiences.  Or if you prefer the whole story, let me know and I can tell you how to access the whole story...
©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 31 Aug 2018, 7:29 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 30, 2018
Of Scars: Scary and Not-So-Scary!!! Part 2

Continuing with our series on scars: some scary and some not-so-scary, today we come to two more types of "Biblical scars" which are of great significance to us...

Slave and Spirited...

Back to the Apostle Paul's spirited declaration of his slavery in: "From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus." (Gal 6:17 ESV)...A la Larry Holmes, he was proud of his bodily scars, obviously an offshoot of all the physical persecutions he endured patiently. This in itself stands as a silent testimony of his tremendous commitment to the Lord, which marked his persevering, faithful service to the Master until the very end (See 2 Cor 11:24-27/2 Tim 4:7-8).

Dear Christian, if you are persecuted by the stooges of the "Roaring lion" ("Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8 ESV) that is a "good sign". It means you are really: 

a) "wrenching out the Lord's lambs from his ruthless jaws" (See 1 Sam 17:34-35...note the Lion acts out of aggression only when the Shepherd strives to release the lamb from its murderous jaws);

b) Feeding the Master's flock with "sound doctrine" (3 John 1:9-10), for the Enemy who is not so much bothered by "Christians who are cooling their heels" is indeed troubled by only those who engage him in a fierce battle (Eph 6:11/1 Peter 5:9). It is while in pursuit of their Master's goals of not only "rescuing souls from the his domain of darkness", but also of subsequently feeding and safeguarding them properly (Matt 28:18-20/John 21:16).

Mind you, scars sustained in selflessly fulfilling the Master's "agenda" can sometimes be "emotional" in nature, for out of the mouth of the agents of the great Serpent can come some venomous words meant to break the "hearts" (read break "the will") of a sincere servant of Christ (See Psa 64:3, Pro 12:18 TLB). The diligent righteous ones, on the other hand, those who lean on the Master's power, would nevertheless "soldier on" (Zech 4:6), always "punching above their weight" to use the Boxing parlance (See Zech 4:6/ 2 Cor 4:7)!

However, whatever be the scars (physical or emotional) inflicted by the Enemy (the degree of which is permitted by our Sovereign, all-wise Lord for our own welfare -- See I Cor 10:13/Rom 8:28), they ought to serve in our lives as a motivating force, rather than a de-motivating one, for undertaking greater works for His Glory.

Salvation and Set...

Say Christian...are you spurred on to live a God-pleasing life...serving Him selflessly by nothing other than your love for your Master who first loved you immensely (2 Cor 5:14/1 John 4:19)? If the answer is yes, then Praise God you are on the right track. Now consider this: doesn't Jesus carry even today "scars" on his "glorified body" (John 20:24-28/Rev 5:6 TLB)? Are these not proof of His unending love, which galvanized Him to not only forsake the Heavenly glory for your oh-so-precious Salvation's sake, but also to suffer immeasurably for it? Ever wondered, while his excruciating painful ordeal on the cross was time-bound, the "scars" resulting from it are "set in stone", so to speak? Simply put, they are eternal in nature. Shouldn't the realization of this truth make us fall in love with our Saviour over and over again? 

In this connection, I would like to bring before you a truthful, touching story...

There was an orphaned boy living with his grandma when their house caught fire. The grandmother, trying to get upstairs to rescue the boy, perished in the flames. The boy's cries for help were finally answered by a man who climbed an iron drainpipe and came back down with the boy hanging tightly to his neck. Several weeks later, a public hearing was held to determine who would receive custody of the child. A farmer, a teacher, and the town's wealthiest citizen all gave the reasons they felt they should be chosen to give the boy a home. But as they talked, the lad's eyes remained focused on the floor. Then a stranger walked to the front and slowly took his hands from his pockets, revealing severe scars on them. As the crowd gasped, the boy cried out in recognition. This was the man who had saved his life. His hands had been burned when he climbed the hot pipe. With a leap the boy threw his arms around the man's neck and held on for dear life. The other men silently walked away, leaving the boy and his rescuer alone. Those marred hands had settled the issue.

Prayer: Father, we praise and thank Thee for Your indescribable gift our Saviour Jesus to us. We glorify you for His atoning sacrifice on the Cross for us. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
Join us on Saturday for the conclusion of "Scars: Scary and not-so-Scary!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Aug 2018, 9:31 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 25, 2018

Driving Left:
Lessons From the Psalms, Introduction
By Answers2Prayer
In response to recent requests from subscribers, the Nugget will be featuring a devotional based on the book of Psalms once a month. We pray you will be blessed by this focus on the one book of the Bible that Jesus quoted the most.

The Psalms: The longest book of the Bible, containing the shortest chapter (Ps. 117, 2 verses), as well as the longest (Ps. 119, 176 verses); and also containing within its 150 chapters, the entire message of the Bible.

The Psalms are actually ancient songs, ancient pieces of poetry. They put our inner longings into words, expressing our feelings through pleadings, sorry, penitence, petition and thanksgiving. They cover the entire range of human experience and emotion, asking important questions about God, humanity, and the purpose of life.

Interestingly, Jesus quoted from the Psalms more often than from any other book of the Old Testament (See Mark 12:35-37; Luke 20:40-44; Matt. 22:41-46, etc), and He often used the Psalms when addressing His Father.

With all of this in mind, is it for naught that so many Christians incorporate the Psalms into worship services, daily devotions and personal prayer?**

I, like so many, read the Psalms; but not being someone who appreciates the fine nuances of meaning through poetry, I find that it is only in meditating upon the Psalms and praying them that I receive the maximum potential blessing God has for me through these writings. Today, by focusing on Ps. 25, I would like to give you an example of how the Psalms can take on special meaning, even in mundane, ordinary situations...

I recently found myself spending 3 months in the driver's seat of rental cars in Australia. Having grown up in North America where everyone drives on the right, how would I ever remember to drive on the left?

The first 2 verses of Ps. 25 became my daily prayer (taken from the NIV and personalized to my situation):

"In you, Lord my God, I put my trust.
I trust in you (to keep me on the left side of the road);
do not let me be put to shame (by driving on the right),
nor let my enemies (of innate habit) triumph over me." (vs. 1-2)

It's amazing how God came through, and the next verse became my prayer of thanksgiving:

"No one who hopes in you
will ever be put to shame (by driving on the right)..." (vs 3a)

I seem to forget very quickly. After just a week of no mistakes, I stopped praying that prayer. The result? I pulled out that morning and drove 3 blocks on the right! My prayer that night was a bit different:

"Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love,
for they are from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways (of self-reliance);
according to your love remember me,
for you, Lord, are good." (vs. 6-7)

You can be sure that I went back to my morning prayer the very next day:

"Show me your ways, Lord,
teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me (to stay on the left side of the road),
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope (at being able to drive safely) is in you all day long." (Vs. 4-5)

Once again, there were no mistakes that day, and my prayer was one of thanksgiving:

"Good and upright is the Lord;
therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
He guides the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way (to stay on the correct side of the road)..." (Vs. 8-9)

As time went on, distraction slipped in. We had heard there was a wild Cassowary (Flightless bird) on the side of the road ahead. Being so preoccupied with our bird hunt, I didn't realize I was driving on the right...

We found the Cassowary about 2 km up the road, and as it wasn't a busy road, I stopped--in the right lane, naturally--to watch it. Moments later, a car rounded the bend--in my lane! Only it wasn't my lane, was it? It was really his...I pulled off the road into the grass to the right and the car passed without harm.

My prayer?

"For the sake of your name, Lord,
forgive my iniquity (at not staying focussed upon You), though it is great." (vs. 11)

But wait. Even when I had stopped asking God for help, He protected me. He forgave me for the distraction, and He placed the Cassowary at the only place on that narrow road where I would be able to pull off! The words of vs. 12-15 were so fitting:

"Who, then, are those who fear the Lord?
He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.
They will spend their days in prosperity (and protection!),
and their descendants will inherit the land." (Vs. 12-13)

One day I turned to the right, across traffic, into the second lane of a 4-lane divided road. There were cars behind me and beside me to the left, all going my direction; but most notably there was a car in my lane, headed straight towards me! I pulled into the left lane just in time to avoid a head-on collision. I hadn't been in the wrong; nonetheless, the potential collision would have been just as bad. My prayer?

"Guard my life and rescue me (whether I'm in the right or wrong);
do not let me be put to shame,
for I take refuge in you.
May integrity and uprightness protect me,
because my hope, Lord, is in you." (Vs. 12-15, 20-21)

Whatever the situation you are in, why not try praying through a Psalm today? Ask God to direct you to the right one, and then pray those words, putting yourself and your situation into the verses. Not only will it make your requests more effective, but it will also make your praise and thanksgiving more effective as well!

** Information gathered from https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/why-study-the-psalms/

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcement:
Scars? In the Bible? Join us next week to learn the significance of some Biblical scars: Some scary...and some not-so-scary..."Of Scars: Scary and Not-So-Scary!" a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:41 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

August 23, 2018

God's Direction

By Answers2Prayer   
Why do we let our emotions lead our path? When we do, we're let down. So, how do we find the direction God has for us?
Sometimes I have the satisfaction of volunteering as a Spanish interpreter for events held by non-profit, Christian organizations.
I slipped off my headphones, and pulled away from the mic. "It's lunch time," I said to my friend who worked alongside me.
She grabbed her purse from under the table. "Let's go."
I held on to her arm and we headed through the maze of corridors behind the stage, looking for our lunch room. As we turned the corner, a delicious aroma wafted from our right. "Hmm...smells like cheesy pasta."
"Yes," my friend said, "I think I smell steaks, rich sauces, and fresh baked pastries too."
We paused for a second. Our mouths watered. But, we had to press on. That banquet was reserved for the celebrities, singers and famous folks. The lunch area assigned to the workers like us was located around the corner, and down another hallway.
We entered the room. On a table in the corner, we found a few cardboard boxes; each held a lonely half-frozen sandwich, chips, and a cookie. As I unwrapped the sandwich, my taste buds protested longing for that delicious fresh gourmet food reserved for someone else. I fought envy; I really did because a bit of covetousness waited on the plate in my heart. But right before I took a bite, the greatest thing happened. My friend and I settled at the table. And as we greeted others, we found friends we hadn't seen since the year before. In seconds, we re-connected, shared stories, laughed, and learned details about those we met for the first time. What a hoot! We teased and just talked.
We took part of a greater banquet as we delighted in the laughter, simplicity of friendship, and the love between colleagues and friends. No doubt, when my friend and I had paused close to that banquet room, God was motioning to us, "C'mon, I have something better," He might have said.He's saying the same to you. You might think you know what you want. But follow me, He invites, "come this way where the best is waiting for you. You don't know. You might not recognize it, nor do you expect it. But I, in my Sovereignty have reserved what you need, prepared it and have it ready for you."
He might be speaking to you right now when He says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you...For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does" (Psalm 32:8 and 33:4).
And since what He does is perfect, will you trust and wait for His perfection to be revealed to you?
Father, forgive the times of my eager desires. Forgive the restlessness that fills me when I want what I think is best. Grant me peace as I wait. In Jesus' name, amen.

Are you willing to wait and receive God's direction?
Janet Eckles

If this message resonated with you, please visit Janet's cyberspace home for more inspiration.  
Announcement:
Sometime early in His ministry, Jesus had an interesting encounter with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. We aren't told much about this particular Pharisee, but Jesus' short encounter with him, recorded in John 3:3-20, is packed with essential life-giving nuggets of Truth. Please check out "Jesus and Nicodemus," A Study on Rebirth!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 21 Aug 2018, 9:37 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

August 21, 2018

Moments of Peace

By Answers2Prayer
  "Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." (Ps. 46:10 NLT)

The cable went out this afternoon. I could see through my bedroom window the white trucks parked next to the pole and the cable guys working on the line. I didn't mind too much, though. With all the channels I had on my television I rarely found something I wanted to watch. I put an old DVD on for my sons, retired to my bedroom, and put on some old records for myself. I lay down on my bed while the music played softly, picked up an old book, and began to read. 

Before long my old, gray cat snuggled into the crook of my arm and purred quietly. I began to scratch her head with one hand while I held my book with the other. Suddenly, I felt a pressure on my bed. I turned my head and saw the furry, smiling face of my puppy, Fluffy. We had rescued him almost a year ago and with good food and lots of love he had grown from 4 to 64 pounds. He leaned down his head and gave my chin a good licking. I laughed, put my book down and scratched his tummy. With both hands busy I couldn't read anymore but it didn't matter. It was one of those moments of pure peace that make our days here better. It was one of those moments in which life made sense.

In this modern world we all seem so rushed and busy all the time. There doesn't seem to be enough moments of peace. There doesn't seem to be enough moments of kindness. There doesn't seem to be enough moments of love. There doesn't seem to be enough moments of joy. But it is these moments that make life worth living. It is these moments that make Earth more .ike Heaven. It is these moments that bring us closer to God and to our true selves.

Embrace these moments every chance you can then. Make time for them. Welcome them into your heart and soul. Do all you can to create them in your life. Choose to fill your days with moments of peace, joy, kindness, and love and help others to do so as well.

Joseph J. Mazzella  
Announcement:
Hounded by problems? Have troubles become your "norm?" Do you find it hard to hold on to faith in the midst of dire need? God know! Check out Victory in Trouble, a 4-part mini-series by Lyn Chaffart, designed to help you be victorious through your troubled times.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 31 Jul 2018, 11:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

February 8, 2017

I Don't know Why

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?' 'Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?' For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen." (Rom. 11:33-36 NKJV)

For all of my days in this world I have been struggling to understand life with very limited success. It seems that the more I learn the more I see just how much I don't know. I think that the singer Carolyn Arends said it best when she wrote: "Life is messy. Life is mystery."

In the messy mystery that has been my own life there has been so much that I don't understand and won't understand at least while I am in this world. For example, I don't know why a house fire destroyed everything my family owned when I was just a boy. I don't know why my soul often felt lonely and isolated in high school even when surrounded by my friends. I don't know why my back was injured when I was a teenager and why it has given me daily pain since then. I don't know why I lost my beautiful, loving Mom when I was only 25 years old. I don't know why my sweet, Italian Nana had to slowly lose her memories to dementia before she too passed away. I don't know why both of my sons have had to struggle with Autism for all of their lives here. I don't know why I never became that rich and successful person my ego thought I should be. I don't know why just when my relationship with my Dad was achieving the closeness I always wished it would have that he too would be taken away by cancer.

Yet, there are other things that are also a mystery to me. I don't know why every time I see the sunrise my own heart rises with it. I don't know why whenever I pray my heart feels happier and my spirit feels closer to Heaven. I don't know why my sons, daughter, dogs, and cat love me even when I act like a jerk at times. I don't know why so many people around this world have found inspiration and joy in my simple writings. I don't know why God loves us completely and unconditionally whether we deserve it or not. I don't know why when we love too we not only change ourselves for the better but the world around us as well. I don't know why love brings us joy in the best of times and also in the worst of times. I don't know why everything in this life both "good" and "bad" can help us to learn, to love, to grow, and to become better Children of
God.

I guess when it comes right down to it life is unknowable, no matter how long or hard we try to understand it. All we can do then is embrace the mystery. All we can do is embrace the mess.

By Joseph J. Mazzella
Announcement:
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!

Welcome to the Nugget

July 24, 2018

Starters

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us ".... he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6 NIV)

Are you a starter or a stopper? If I had to answer that, I would probably hedge and say somewhere in between...a slider.

I love beginnings -- new projects, ideas. The excitement of it fuels my adrenalin. Getting going is good, then I'm into it and it's great, then the hard work begins of hanging in there and doing the daily 'whatever it requires' to keep committed. That's when the rubber hits the road. Either it's a commitment or it's not...

The gym and exercise is one example. Wonder how many times I have been determined to follow a fitness path? Usually it's fairly good in the beginning; before long it is taking a backseat priority wise.

One good thing I realized, at that moment, was that, no matter what, God always keeps His commitments. God is not a slider; He is a starter, never a stopper.

That is good news.

"He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it." (1 Thessalonians 5:24 ESV)

"Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations." (Deuteronomy 7:9 NIV)

"God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful." (1 Corinthians 1:9 Berean Study Bible)

"He will keep you strong to the end..." (1 Cor. 1:8 NLT)

"And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20 NLT)

"The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me." (Psalm 138:8 ESV)

"Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you." (Deuteronomy 31:8 NLT)

Inspirational Messages, Sally I. Kennedy
Announcement:
Burdened by endless trouble? Feel like you're stuck in the valleys of problems? Wonder why you can't spend at least SOME time on the mountain tops? Check out "Mountain Top Experiences", an eight part mini-series designed to help us view the peaks and valleys of life from GOD'S perspective!

Welcome to the Nugget

July 26, 2018

Religion Vs. Relationship

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us The best part of speaking before any group is what happens afterwards. Often folks stop and chat with me. This past week, that very thing happened.

A man shook my hand. "I was touched by your message," he said, "and I just want to know how you deal with the fact that the disease with your eyes is hereditary?"

"What do you mean?" I said.

"Well, I have a disease. It's hereditary, and I can't let go the worry and total fear my child will inherit it. I'm afraid of the future."

He paused. "And I don't have any religion...don't believe in much of anything."

I wanted to give him a huge hug and whisper in his ear, "You don't need a religion, you need a relationship with Jesus to set you free from that worry and fear."

Forgive me for being presumptuous. But if you are one of those who believe that religion is the answer, here are seven truths to ponder upon:

* Religion offers rituals, Jesus offers a personal relationship.
* Religions can change; Jesus is the same today, tomorrow and forever.
* Religion works to win grace, Jesus becomes the grace we can work under.
* Religion doesn't offer forgiveness; Jesus became the forgiveness for our sin.
* Religion offers no miracle; Jesus delights in performing them.
* Religion doesn't take you to heaven; Jesus took the blame so we could enter it.
* Religions bind us; Jesus sets us free.

When we spend sleepless nights, we wring our hands about the uncertainty of tomorrow, and mistakenly, we go by the way of religion, that's why Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

What rules your life these days--nothing in particular or a religion or a relationship with Christ, the Savior?

Janet Eckles

If this message resonated with you, please visit Janet's cyberspace home for more inspiration.

Announcement:
God is concerned about even the minutest points of our lives, and if we let Him, He will guide us into the right decisions, 100% of the time! Our only job is to seek His guidance every step of the way. Visit us online for the previously-published series, "God Guides"!

Welcome to the Nugget
July 28, 2018

The Tough Spots
bible
By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us
One of my husband's new favorite things to do is to hike.

I say "new" because there aren't any mountains in the coastal town of Belgium where he grew up. Besides, he is legally blind in one eye and as a result, has very poor depth perception. This makes walking over rough terrain a challenge in the best of times!

He is, however, an avid photographer, and he has learned that the best pictures are usually found along some strenuous trail somewhere. As a result, the pain of the climb is completely nullified by the joy of the picture opportunities.

An interest in photography does not, however, a human "mountain goat" make. Rather, that is an inborn ability, one that he is sure I was born with, and one that he is certain I passed on at 200% magnitude to our boys. Loosely translated, where you might see the boys scampering up a sheer cliff with their mother proceeding at a cautious rate a respectable distance behind, you will see their father near the bottom, testing the ground with his foot for stability before stepping out.

Using rocks or trees for stability, my husband has conquered all moderate and most moderately-difficult trails. He still struggles, however, on difficult and extreme paths. Not that he lets it daunt him. It is, in fact, very rare for him to give up. Instead, when faced with a section of trail that he doesn't feel comfortable crossing, he simply waits for one of us to return, give him a hand, and lead him safely to the other side of the difficult spot.

Has my husband suddenly been overcome by masochism?

Not at all. He has simply learned that the most difficult hikes usually end in the most beautiful views with the best photo opportunities.

We all face extremely difficult "trails" on a daily basis. In some rare cases, we can simply choose to avoid them; but in most cases, we don't have that choice. Instead, we are forced to take them as we battle cancer, relationship problems, financial difficulties, loss of job, even death...Can we, like my husband, learn to enjoy these difficult times? Can we, at the end of the day, call these problems a "highlight" of our lives?

There is only one way that we can come to view the difficult valleys in life in the way my husband has come to view hiking, and that is by trusting in the help that we have been given along the way. Just as he waits for one of us to give him a hand over the tough spots, we, too, have help: Jesus Christ. When we put our trust in Him, He doesn't just give us a hand; rather, He carries us through! And at the end of the day, there will be something beautiful, something that makes the valley experience well worthwhile, for "He has made everything beautiful, in His time." (Eccl. 3:11), and "...we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Rom. 8:28).

My husband may not know this yet, but he and I have "Mt. Everest" on our "bucket list"...Anyone care to join us for some outstanding photo opportunities?

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcement:
Have you ever taken the time to contemplate, I mean REALLY contemplate the depth of God's sacrifice to us through the death of Jesus Christ? Visit us online for the previously-published series, "The Sufferings of Jesus".
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 21 Jul 2018, 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 21, 2018

One Small Voice

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us One of the many thing I love about going for a walk in the country listening to the bird choir. Usually this consists of many different types of birds; but not necessarily being a bird enthusiast, I have no idea which voice belongs to which feathered friend. The only sure thing in my mind is that the choir serenading me is composed of many beautiful voices, all blending together in giving praise to our Father.

When I left the house this morning, however, I only heard one tiny voice; and it wasn't a loud or pretty one, either. Rather, it was a single "chip" repeated over and over.

Further investigation revealed that the singer was a common house sparrow, such as the one pictured above, and I couldn't help thinking with a smile that perhaps this particular bird should just keep its little beak shut. After all, when you don't have any talent, there is no sense in announcing it to the world!

As I continued on my walk, I was delighted when the bird choir started up their morning song. Then, for perhaps the first time ever, I began to hear individual bird voices. Some were loud and shrill, others were quiet; some contained trills and chatter, others were nothing but a single "chip"...Wait a minute! I knew that voice! It belonged to the house sparrow on my front lawn!

Though that little voice hadn't been exactly beautiful when it was the only one, it contributed to the overall bird choir like quiet symbols contribute to an orchestra. In fact, when the voices of many other house sparrows blended together, their little "chips" produced quite a powerful punch!

It all made me think. You see, I'm kind of a shy introvert. I love the Lord, I love my fellow mankind, and I want very much to be a powerful witness. But my "voice" is weak, and it's not very pretty. I don't feel like I contribute much to world evangelism because I can never seem be bold about my witnessing. In fact, I have to admit that I am often tempted to not "sing" at all. Why not let those with beautiful witnessing "voices" take the lead? Why not the powerful preachers, the extroverts, and any others who don't mind being singled out or being the centre of attention? After all, their witness is far more powerful than mine could ever be, and they attract a lot more attention than I could--or even would want--to do!

But what about that tiny house sparrow and its rather unimpressive "chip"? The bird choir wouldn't be the same without its tiny contribution...

Is it the same with me? Is God telling me that each time I shyly say, "God bless you" to a store clerk, it makes a difference? Is God showing me that when I pray for world evangelism, it contributes? Is God helping me to understand that reaching out to help people provides needed rhythm in the grand scheme of world evangelism? And what about my writing? Is it encouraging and empowering those who are bolder than I?

The answer is yes, yes, yes and yes! We don't have to be big, powerful teachers or pastors to witness for the Lord. Hey! We don't even have to be bold or extraverted! We only need to let Jesus' light shine through us, and when we do, our little "chip" will be incorporated into the overall fabric of evangelism in such a beautiful way that it becomes very clear the gospel wouldn't go forward the same way without it.

Think about that the next time you purchase something at the grocery store or stop to pay toll on the road. Why not leave the attendants with the words, "God bless you"? And if you don't feel comfortable saying something to someone, than pray for that person. Send out encouraging emails and facebook messages. Sing songs of praise at work (and don't do it only when no one is around)! Reach out with a smile and a helping hand. Don't be afraid to leave people with a word of encouragement. Each time you do, then just like that house sparrow, you will be contributing to the overall "choir" of evangelism in a way that would be sorely missed.

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the farthest parts of the earth." (Acts 1:8 NET)

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Ever wonder about the Priestly roll of the Lord, Jesus Christ? What is its importance, and how does it compare to the Levitical priesthood? Check out the mini-series, "Of Indy, Community and the Almightly"!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 19 Jul 2018, 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 19, 2018

A Rainbow in the Road

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us "I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you spiritual wisdom and revelation in your growing knowledge of him, -- since the eyes of your heart have been enlightened -- so that you may know what is the hope of his calling, what is the wealth of his glorious4 inheritance in the saints, and what is the incomparable1 greatness of his power toward us who believe, as displayed in the exercise of his immense strength." (Eph. 1:17-19 NET)

It had been raining on and off for three days straight. I was driving home trying to see through my windshield. My old pair of wipers weren't doing a very good job of clearing the water off the glass. I noticed that my fuel was getting low too and decided to pull into the local gas station to refill my tank. I pulled in behind an old car with a young mother filling it up. Her daughter was looking out the window at the falling rain.

All at once the little girl exclaimed, "Look at the rainbow, Mommy!" Both her Mother and I craned our heads to the sky but there were only gray clouds overhead. "Not there, Mommy. Here!" The little girl pointed to the pavement. There in a small puddle of leaked oil was the rainbow shining up at us. I smiled at the little girl's innocence and at her wisdom as well.

T here have been many times in my own life when I wished I had eyes that saw as well as that little girl's did. I wished I had eyes that saw from the heart rather than the head. I wished I had eyes that saw the thousand times something good happened rather than the one time something bad did. I wished I had eyes that saw the million miracles of life that surround us everyday. I wished I had eyes that recognized the countless signs of God's love that are all around us. I wished I had eyes that could see a rainbow in the road as well as the sky.

I think that those clear-seeing eyes still exist deep in the souls of all of us. We have just forgotten how to use them. With a little patience and a little practice, though, I think we could all learn to use them again. Open your eyes and your heart wide then. See the beauty of this world that surrounds you. See the love of God all around you. See the goodness within yourself and others. Then go out and share your sight and your love with the world.

Joseph J. Mazzella
Announcement:
Are you ever tempted to think that your sin has no consequence? After all, Jesus forgave ALL our sins! Even that one little time when we knew better, but it anyway! What could be the harm? Check out "Lessons From David's Fall," a mini-series designed to help us understand that EACH and EVERY ONE of our actions have a profound affect, not only on our own lives, but on the lives of thousands of others around us: Lessons From David's Fall

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 07 Jul 2018, 7:42 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 7, 208

Selling Your Birthright

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  We're all familiar with the story: Esau, famished from his hunt, sold his birthright for a bowl of lentil stew: "One day when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau arrived home from the wilderness exhausted and hungry. Esau said to Jacob, 'I'm starved! Give me some of that red stew!'...'All right,' Jacob replied, 'but trade me your rights as the firstborn son.' 'Look, I'm dying of starvation!' said Esau. 'What good is my birthright to me now?'" (Gen. 25:29-32 NLT) 

It is apparent from this story that Esau lived in the here and now. He was hungry. Starving. Famished. Convinced he was about to die. He was focused on his physical discomfort, and without a single thought of the future, he traded his birthright for a bowl of lentil stew and some bread: "Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and lentil stew. Esau ate the meal, then got up and left." (Gen. 25:34a NLT). 

Like Esau, we, too, can become obsessed with what is happening in the moment. And why shouldn't we? A death in the family is a formidable problem. That cancer diagnosis has very long term consequences. The broken relationship will impact every part of your life. The foreclosure on your home will affect all of your family.

We know that Esau would later regret his decision. If we fast forward two chapters in the book of Genesis, we see another scene in the life of Esau and Jacob. Jacob tricks Esau again, this time out of his father's final blessing, and we see Esau exclaim: "No wonder his name is Jacob, for now he has cheated me twice. First he took my rights as the firstborn, and now he has stolen my blessing." (Gen. 27:36 NLT)

When we put our focus only on our momentary circumstances, even when those circumstances are, indeed, significant, we will, like Esau, be reactionary in our decisions. Like him, we are at risk of opening the door for regret. 

Interestingly, Esau saw his hunger as having long term consequences: "Look, I'm dying of starvation!...What good is my birthright to me now?" (Gen. 32 NLT). Though the Bible doesn't tell us when he had eaten his last meal, we can know that if Esau had truly been at the point of death, he wouldn't have been able to "arrive" home. He would have been too weak. Thus, by focusing only on the problem, Esau's hunger mushroomed out of proportion in his mind until eating became the only thing that was important to him: "He showed contempt for his rights as the firstborn." (Gen. 25:34 NLT). 

The solution? "Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves." (Phil. 2:3 NLT). It's truly as simple as that. Focusing away from our own problems and looking instead to the needs of others, as we are commanded to do in this text from Philippians 2, will put things back into perspective. There is also the promise of blessing when we focus on the needs of others instead of on our own needs: "God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth...God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy." (Matt. 5:5,7 NLT). 

In other words, when we focus on others, even in the midst of our own looming problems, we can be assured that we will not be selling our birthright. Rather, we will open the doors for blessings. 

Interestingly, this is the way Jesus lived His life. He had, indeed, significant circumstances. He was about to be crucified and separated from His Father, yet the Bible records: "Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne." (Heb. 12:2b NLT). By looking to the needs of others rather than focusing on His own, He did not sell His birthright; rather, He ensured it. When following Jesus' example by focusing on the needs of others rather than on our own needs, we, too, will hold on to our birthright, and in the end, we will be blessed; but by focusing on our own problems, no matter how significant they may be, then we, like Esau, risk selling our birthright...

Think about it! 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Are you finding yourself with "World Cup" fever? Join us next week for some important spiritual lessons that we can learn from the World Cup in "Soccer Sorcery! Lessons From World Cup Football", a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan. 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 03 Jul 2018, 8:52 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 3, 2018

One Day at a Time
By Answers2Prayer
o  I admit that I find it difficult to live in the moment. It's simply too easy to look ahead and begin to worry over something that hasn't happened yet. And then more often than not, when that worrisome event arrives, it wasn't that big of a deal in the first place. Often times our stewing is simply wasted energy. Is this something you can relate to? 

My father had a small plaque on the wall of his bedroom when I was growing up. It read, "Trust God and Live a Day at a Time." When he passed away I took that little treasure and have had it on my office wall ever since. I see it every day, but seldom take the time to really ingest its meaning. The words are easy to say, but not as easy to put into practice. In Jesus's Sermon on the Mount, He taught His disciples something similar: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has trouble enough of its own." (Matthew 6:34 NIV). 

So why is it so difficult to exist in the present and not dwell on the uncertainties of tomorrow? After all, the only thing that truly exists is right now. My niece once told me, "The future does not actually exist." She also said this: "Because the future is just a projection of the mind, it is impossible to cope with it and is easy to get lost in worrying about potential scenarios that could or could not happen." Such a wise girl! 

But if you're like me, worry is an easy habit to adopt even when our Savior advises against it: "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (Matthew 6:27 NIV). Living in the present moment needs to become a daily state of mind if we want to achieve a peaceful existence. Another friend once shared with me these six words, "Right here, right now, I'm safe." She would recite this phrase when her mind drifted towards concerns for tomorrow. Not a bad idea. But more importantly, we need to take a deep breath and ask God to calm our thoughts and help us live in the moment, because if we're honest with ourselves, right now is all we have.
Thankfully our lives are of the utmost importance to our heavenly Father, and He's blessed us with words of wisdom to help us live for today: "Cast all your anxieties on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5, NIV). So there you have it; irrefutable proof that God loves you and covets your trust. He doesn't want you spending your time worrying about tomorrow or about things that haven't happened yet. Living one day at a time takes effort on our part, but if we learn to place our lives in Jesus's hands, I believe we'll all be better off for it.

On a final note, my daughter recently received flowers from her boyfriend; a brownie point gesture for any men reading this devotional; wink-wink! These lovely flowers are called Day Lilies. They bloom, display their beauty and then shrivel overnight. It's actually a mite sad when you ponder how short their life is. As I grabbed my camera to capture one of the final blossoms, it was then my wife reflected on how all they have is a single day to impact the world around them. Then she added, "As God's children, we should try to follow their lead and live in the moment. We don't have yesterday or tomorrow." Another wise lady!

I'd like to encourage you that even if you're in the middle of a bad day right now and you harbour legitimate fears for tomorrow, or even regrets over yesterday, pray and ask God to take care of your anxious spirit. He's the master planner and is one hundred percent tuned into you, right here and right now. Let's say together with confidence, "This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalms 118:24 NLT) 

Trust God and live one day at a time.

Paul Smyth

Announcement:
Ar you finding yourself with "World Cup" fever? Join us next week for some important spiritual lessons that we can learn from the World Cup in "Soccer Sorcery! Lessons From World Cup Football", a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan. 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 02 Jul 2018, 11:16 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

June 26, 208

What to do when Life Gets Complicated

By Answers2Prayer 
  Sometimes we wake up, expecting a day just like any other. And, with no warning life gets complicated. Then what happens?

I was flying home to Orlando from Chicago. Seated beside me in the plane was a little girl. I turned toward her. "Are you traveling by yourself?"

"Uh huh."

"What a brave girl," I said. "You're not scared to fly by yourself, are you?"

"A little. I have never flown before," she said, chewing her gum with vigor.

"Flying is fun," I said. "You'll see how fast we'll get to Orlando."

I figured if I talked to her, she would be distracted and forget about being scared.

During the two-hour flight, I asked her questions and she opened up. We chatted over details about her friends, her pets and her excitement about visiting Disney World.

"Flight attendants," the announcement sounded, "please take your seats; the seatbelt light is on during this turbulence."

I leaned toward and whispered, "Do you know what turbulence is?"

"Nope."

"Turbulence is a mini roller coaster and we don't have to pay extra for it."

The plane shook and dipped. Then it stopped.

"It's over," she said, disappointment in her voice.

I laughed. "You don't get much for free."

The plane landed. "Have fun at Disney," I said. "When people ask you about your first airplane ride, what will you tell them?"

She stopped chewing her gum. "I'll tell them it was awesome."

My plan worked. As long as she was hearing my voice and was focused on what I said, she forgot about her fear.

Jesus wants the same for you and me. His voice is constant. His words continue to echo. His promises are repeated over and over again.

But are we listening? When life gets complicated with sudden emotional turbulence, what do our ears hear and what does our heart feel?

During that shaking, it's His voice we need to hear. It's His promises we must believe. And it's in His protection that we must find refuge.

If turbulence has complicated your life, God is speaking. He's addressing you by name. And He's calling you to the security of his flock.

Jesus said: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." (John 10:27)

When you hear His voice, you silence the whispers of terror. When you allow Him to know you, He'll provide what you need. And when you follow Him, the path is secure and the journey is simple and uncomplicated.

Father, how often I fall into panic when life gets too complicated. I trust that you can do what I cannot do for myself. And you will bring order to my life and simplify the complications. In Jesus' name, amen.

What is complicating your life right now?

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Are you frustrated with an ineffective prayer life? God does answer prayers, my friend. Why don't you come to Answers2Prayer and discover the power of prayer for yourself?

Welcome to the Nugget
June 28, 2018

Even the Starlings...
By Answers2Prayer 
Let me begin by saying this: Starlings are my least favourite bird in the entire bird kingdom. They have very large families, and it seems like every starling on the Niagara Peninsula congregates on my deck celebrating their ongoing family reunions. They don't even say "thank you" for the catered feast provided for them.

At the beginning of spring, my daughter set out my bird feeders, filling them with the good things birds like. She hung the finch feeder beside the rest, and she even put out suet for the woodpeckers. And they all came -- The pretty yellow goldfinches, the house finches and the purple finches, along with a few chickadees, doves, nuthatches and downy woodpeckers. One day I was treated to three rose-breasted grosbeaks. That was a really special sighting because rose-breasted grosbeaks do not seem to live in my area, but rather only pass through on their way to somewhere else. I thank my Heavenly Father for the privilege of seeing these lovely birds.

So I was enjoying my window on the world, watching the birds as they devoured the feast put out for them...

And then, then the starlings moved in...

Starlings are like pigs. Not only do they eat everything in sight, but even worse, they scare the little birds away. No longer can I enjoy the variety of feathered friends that were coming to my feeders, for now I have starlings, starlings and more starlings. Recently they even began to bring their babies. The young are so big that the only way I can tell the mamas from the babies is that the babies sit around with their mouths open waiting for a morsel from mama...

As I said before, starlings are my least favourite bird; nonetheless, I have learned to admire certain things about them. First of all, they are beautiful to look at, with their shiny black feathers mixed with flecks of white. They are also very chatty in bird language; they love family and love being with family; and they are completely devoted to their young. All admirable traits!

That got me to thinking. God has a window on the world and He has provided many things for all of His children to enjoy. Then we humans come along and chase away the smaller and weaker ones and gobble up everything for ourselves...Wait. Are we any different from the starlings?

Yes, I would prefer to have the smaller prettier birds come to my feeder, but even the starlings are God's creatures, and they are as precious in His sight as any other bird. He says so in His word: "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care." (Matt. 10:29 NIV). True, He doesn't mention starlings but he made all the birds and He takes care of all...

And then He goes on to say that we are of more value than many sparrows: "So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Matt. 10:31 NIV); "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Luke 12:7 NIV)

Yes, now I can truly admire...even the starlings...

Wynona Gordon

Announcement:
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request by clicking here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 22 Jun 2018, 9:49 am

Welcome to the Nugget

May 22, 2018

One Thing You Must do to be Truly Happy

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  Doesn't it feel good when we help another person? A friend visited from Cuba and lamented on the condition of her hair. I took her hand. "Look, you don't need to worry about fixing your hair," I said. "We'll go shopping and get you a lovely wig."

She hugged me. "In Cuba, we could never afford a haircut, much less a wig...thank you!"

We walked in the store and she chose one to match her natural hair color. As she stood before the mirror, she put it on. Her gasps of delight were heard all through the store. "I don't want to take it off, "she said. "I look so pretty."

Then weeks later she wrote me from Cuba. "I'm sorry. I can't wear the wig because the weather is so very hot here. I put it away in my drawer."

Did she say she put the gift I gave her in a drawer? She sure did. And that's exactly what the enemy (the devil) wants you and I to do. He wants us to--put God's gifts in the drawer of our emotions.

When and how does he do that? He does it each time we face adversity, struggles, conflict, or bad news. He does it by distracting us so we forget God's gifts.

And the gifts are many. Each one is suited for the situation we face. Each gift is prepared with the answer we need. Each is molded to fit the longing in our heart.

And when we receive them, unwrap them and use them, here are seven results:

1: When unfair accusations create wounds, we're protected as we say, "I am free from any charge against me." ("Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one--for God himself has given us right standing with himself. Who then will condemn us? No one--for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God's right hand, pleading for us." Romans 8:32-34 NLT)

2: When life seems uncertain and shaky, I have access to God through the Holy Spirit. ("Now all of us can come to the Father through the same Holy Spirit because of what Christ has done for us." Ephesians 2:18 NLT)

3: No painful experience is a match to God's love. I cannot be separated from the love of God. ("And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love...No power in the sky above or in the earth below--indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38a,39 NLT)

4: The world's evil cannot affect me because I am established, anointed, sealed by God. ("It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us." 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 NLT)

5: When I feel confused about all that's going on, I remember that all things work together for good. ("And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28 NLT)

6: When feeling empty and unable to give, my spirit is revived because I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit. ("You didn’️t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name." John 15:16 NLT)

7: When no one listens or has any advice, I may approach God with freedom and confidence. ("Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God’️s presence." Ephesians 3:12 NLT)

Ready to pull out those gifts from the drawer of your heart? They're yours. They're ready to be used. They're offering the power to ease the pain. To deliver you from strongholds. To bring peace to turmoil. And to erase fear.

Father, when life becomes so very difficult, help me to open my heart and receive these gifts. In Jesus' name, amen.

Which of God's gifts will you unwrap today?

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Dear Nugget subscribers,

We value your input! Is the Nugget meeting your needs? If you have any suggestions for the Nugget, please email me here. May God bless you abundantly as you grow to know Him more!

In His love,
Lyn Chaffart, Moderator, The Nugget, Scriptural Nuggets website, with Answers2Prayer Ministries

Welcome to the Nugget
May 24, 2018
Not What You'd Hoped

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us   "Hope deferred makes the heart sick." (Proverbs 13:12 NIV)

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." (Hebrews 10:23 NIV)

Perhaps there was a time when you didn't get the job, even though you were the most qualified. For some reason, out of your control, you didn't get the position. Perhaps you didn't make the team, didn't get the raise, or promotion, got left in the dust in a relationship you trusted. Maybe you didn't receive an invitation and that left you feeling less-than.

Disappointments, and hopes that are dashed, hurt. The pain is real. I would have liked nothing better than to protect my children from the pain and disillusionment of the real world. However, that is not only not possible, it is not wise. We have to learn to deal with disappointments and frustrations in our lives.

There is Someone who actually knows all about our pains and disappointments, who understands and has walked every step of the way with us. The Lord, who is sovereign and mighty, is still on his throne, and yes, He cares for us. He's with us, He comforts us, He heals us, and we move on in His time.

If you feel excluded, passed over, or insignificant remember that the truth is you were chosen by the Lord himself. (John 15:16) Thank God today we have Someone who is real and very present in our lives (Matthew 28:20), especially when experiencing a time of 'not what you'd hoped for'.

"...you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." (Psalm 25:5 NIV)

Inspirational Messages by Sally I. Kennedy  
Announcement:
Great news! Answers2Prayer has a webpage offering 68 Online Bibles available in different languages. Please visit us! If you know of an online Bible in a language that we do not yet have available, please let us know by sending an e-mail. Thank you my friends.

Welcome to the Nugget

May 26, 2018

The "Birthing" Process

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  Things were looking pretty grim for Israel. They were slaves in Egypt with no deliverance in sight. But God had not forgotten, and when the time was right, He acted: "They cried out for help, and their cry rose up to God. God heard their groaning, and he remembered his covenant promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He looked down on the people of Israel and knew it was time to act." (Ex. 2:23-25 NLT).

Why didn't God act earlier?

I don't know the answer to this question, for none of us knows the mind of the Lord (See Rom. 11:34). However, we have all experienced what it is like to have to wait for God to fulfill a promise. We know He keeps His promises (See Deut. 7:9), we believe that He acts in His time (See Eccl. 3:11), and we understand that He only acts when the time is right: "He looked down...and knew it was time to act." (Ex. 2:25 NLT). It is easy, however, to get impatient when we wait for that time to be "right", and it is often tempting to think that God doesn't really know when the right time is... 

When we look at the context in which the above passage in Exodus 2 was written, however, we can glean some clues as to why the time isn't always right, and why God sometimes waits...

Exodus 2 tells us the story of God's promised deliverer, Moses. Beginning with his birth, it goes on to tell of his upbringing, his act of murder and his flight into the wilderness. The Bible then relates how Moses settled in with Reuel and his family (see vs. 21), and finally, we are told that while in the wilderness, Moses' wife gave birth to a son: "In time, Reuel gave Moses his daughter Zipporah to be his wife. Later she gave birth to a son..." (Ex. 2:22 NLT).

Could it be that one of the reasons we must sometimes wait for God to keep His promise to us is that we need to..."give birth" to something?

Now I, for one, am groaning at that prospect. Been there, done that, not wanting to do it again...But before you write this off completely, go with me a step farther... 

When I was diagnosed with cancer in 2012, God promised me healing, yet I waited several months to receive the fulfillment of that promise. During that time, however, God was so near. My walk with Him was strengthened and my faith was grown. In a sense, during the time I waited for God to keep His promise, God "birthed" faith into my life. 

Of late, there have been many promises given to those I care about, yet their trials and bad circumstances continue as they await the fulfillment to those promises. When I look closely, however, I see that God is "birthing" many good things during these waiting periods... 

Take my son, for example. He has been waiting for over a year for God to fulfill His promise of a job. During this waiting period, God "birthed" the opportunity and the funding for him to complete his master's degree in just 2 short semesters. I've also watched as God has worked in my son's life to "birth" faith, trust and reliance on Him in the hard times. 

My dear mother has been suffering from an infected ulcer in her foot for the past 16 months. God has promised her healing, and her foot is significantly better. To date, however, it is not completely healed. During this waiting time, I have seen God "birth" an incredibly amount of faith into my mother's relationship with Him. 

A dear friend who has been in the midst of significant, debilitating health problems received the promise from God that her healing was coming. She suffered from some of these complications for more than two years. During this time, however, I saw God "birth" the ability for her to relinquish all of her problems to Him. 

Someone else who is dear to me was in a relationship with someone who has been seized by anxiety. God promised healing, but she awaited His healing touch. During this time, I watched God "birth" a stronger, deeper relationship between these two individuals. I saw God "birth" a strong conviction that God is our deliverer, and I witnessed God "birthing" in both the ability to fight the demonic forces with the armour of God. 

I could give multiple other examples, but I would like to invite you right now to think about the promise you are waiting for God to fulfill. I challenge you to look back over the past few days/weeks/months and see what God may be "birthing" in your life. The resolution to your problems is coming, but it may only happen when the "birthing" process is complete. My advice to you? Embrace the waiting period; allow God to "birth" those important things in your life; but most of all, never doubt this: the same God who delivered Israel will do the same for you...when   the time is right! 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
THE ILLUSTRATOR
Are you blessed by inspirational stories? Why not subscribe to "The Illustrator", a daily newsletter devoted to bringing people closer to Christ through inspirational stories? Simply click here, scroll down to the section labeled "Subscribe Here", and click "The Illustrator".

Welcome to the Nugget

May 29, 2018

Avoid This Mistake when Looking for Fulfillment

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  We don't need statistics to know that millions of people live aimlessly without fulfillment, purpose or meaning. But there is an answer--simple and doable.

My brother and sister-in-law, Lois, visited a few weeks ago. As usual, Lois and I did a little shopping. And it's always, always a super fun adventure.

Why? Well, there's a unique thing about us: Lois is deaf. And, as you know, I'm blind (yup, totally).

I held her arm as we walked through aisle after aisle in Hobby Lobby, looking for a specific item.

"There's a store clerk," Lois said.

Whew! Finally, the help we need, I thought.

"It's over there where that lady is turning," the clerk said.

Well, those instructions didn't help. I couldn't see where she was pointing. And Lois couldn't read her lips as the store clerk wasn't facing her.

What disappointment!

We couldn't blame the clerk. She had no clue she was addressing two gals, one deaf and the other blind.

Our mistake was to count on someone who didn't know our needs or limitations.

We all do that in life, right? Mistakenly, we count on someone to give us the answer, provide the solution, point us in the right direction, or fill our needs. But because they don't know us, they simply cannot.

Here is a test. Have you made any of the mistakes below?

a. You seek a job, expecting it will provide financial security.
b. You look to your spouse, hoping they will bring joy.
c. You look to the success of your children, expecting you'll find gratification.
d. You look for relationships, hoping to fill the emptiness.
e. You seek health, hoping you'll live longer.
f. You take a risk, hoping you'll find success.
g. You seek the perfect position, expecting to find satisfaction.
h. You write the next book, hoping to change lives.
i. You find good works to do, expecting to please God.
j. You save and save, hoping that will make tomorrow secure.

If you made even one of these mistakes, disappointment is about to knock at your door.

That's because none of the situations above are constant; they're not reliable, consistent or dependable. They're not as trustworthy as God's word and promises.

They can't provide what only God can. They don't fill the void only God promise to fill. They don't bring the fulfillment or meaning found only in Him.

Are you ready for the good news?

Although things in this world are pitifully imperfect, "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect" (2 Samuel 22:31-32).

If God is our refuge, why worry about our protection? If He's our rock, why think we're weak? If His word is flawless, why look for meaning anywhere else? If He's our shield why fear? And if He's perfect, why doubt His fulfillment for our soul is perfectly designed?

Father, I confess that my wounds, disappointments and grief are a result of placing my trust in other things, people or circumstances. Transform my mind and heart with the truth that you and you alone can fill me. In Jesus name, amen.

How can you correct the mistakes you made in seeking complete fulfillment?

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
DEALING WITH GRIEF
Are you or someone you know dealing with grief? Why not check out the series, "Dealing With Grief", recently published on the Nugget by clicking here!

Welcome to the Nugget

May 31, 2018

Give Life Meaning

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us   "Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been fathered by God and knows God. The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love." (1 John 4:7,8 NET)

"What is the meaning of life?"  This is a question that we all ask ourselves at one point or a nother of our existence here.  It is a question that I have asked myself many times over the years.  The best answer that I ever came across was written by the great psychologist, Viktor Frankl who had survived the Nazi Concentration camps in World War II.  Frankl wrote that "The meaning of life is to give life meaning."         

When I was a young boy I gave my life meaning by simply playing, running, jumping, swimming, laughing, and riding my bike.  When I went to school I gave my life meaning by learning, studying hard, getting good grades and trying to make my Mom and Dad proud.  When I was a teenage boy I found meaning in playing sports, hanging out with my friends, and trying to impress girls.  In college I found my meaning by deciding what I wanted to study and what career I wanted to prepare for.  When I was working as a teacher I found meaning in helping to open young minds to new ideas and old wisdom.  When I married and had children I found meaning in protecting, providing for, and watching over those I loved.  When I found out both of my sons were mentally handicapped I found meaning in loving them, caring for them, and learning so much from them about life, love, compassion, patience, faith, and joy.      

As I got older too I began to realize that meaning isn't something that comes and goes.  We can give meaning to every moment of our lives here.  We can bring meaning to the thoughts we think.  We can bring meaning to the things we do.  We can bring meaning to the hearts we touch. All we have to do is love.  It is love that gives life meaning.  It is love that makes life worth living.  Love is our Heavenly Father's gift to us.  Love is our gift to each other.  May all of your days be full of meaning then.  May all of your days be full of love.

Joseph J. Mazzella  
Announcement:
"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Cor. 9:8). Wait a minute: If God promises abundance, then why do I have all this need? Click here to find out!

Welcome to the Nugget
bible
June 2, 2018

Stop and Smell the Roses
 bible
"Stop and smell the roses" is a great English expression meaning that we should relax and take time out of our busy schedules to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of life (https://en.wiktionary.org). I'm afraid I'm not very good at this. My life is far too busy. There are too many responsibilities and too many items on my "to-do" list to enjoy the beautiful things God has given us, or to even notice His daily blessings. 

I'm sure you can relate. With all the problems that are constantly knocking at our doors and taking over our lives, it's a wonder we even notice things as obvious as the passing of the seasons. Take this year, for example. As winter passed into spring, did we notice that the Lilacs were prettier than usual? And what about the trees? I'm sure we all noticed that they came back to life after winter, but did we take the time to observe how each spring day brought change to those stark, bare branches? First the brown limbs became brown-green, then the green spread until it enveloped each and every twig. The trees then took on a bright lime shade as the leaf buds burst forth, and then the shades of green darkened and brightened as the leaves grew bigger and took on their summer hues... 

And if we don't notice such beauties of nature and all the lessons God has for us in each one, how can we recognize the other blessings God has for us as well?   

This was a vitally important lesson that I learned in my cancer walk. I had never before stopped to admire the tiny flowers in my lawn. In fact, I had always thought of them as "weeds". Nor had I realized that hummingbirds regularly visited my deck, and I had never simply sat and admired the colours of the dawn. Cancer forced me to take time off--from work, from being a mom, from cooking, from cleaning, and from all the myriads of things that are supposedly so important. As a result, I found myself, for the first time in my life, "stopping to smell the roses". Although there weren't any actual rose bushes in my yard, I literally began to notice and admire God's handiwork; and what I learned was phenomenal: Each tiny blossom, each bird feather, each blade of grass, each butterfly wing--even each tomato worm!--are all intricate works of art, designed in elaborate detail and fashioned in love by the Creator's hand. 

As I "stopped to smell the roses"--as I began to recognize the hand of God in the beauty of nature--I also began to notice His hand over my life as well, even in the midst of cancer. In my moments of worst discouragement, He never once failed to send me encouragement. In the midst of my worst fears, I could always see His hand of comfort and strength upon me. And as God brought each of His blessings to my attention, the Truth was solidified in my heart that my God was (and is!) in control of everything, including cancer!

And He is in control of whatever you are going through as well. 

Isn't this what Jesus meant in His famous Sermon on the Mount? "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life--whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we d'rink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matt. 6:25-33 NLT).

If you can't see God's hand of blessings in your life right now, I encourage you to take 15 minutes of your day and meditate upon these words of Jesus. Savour them. Roll them over your tongue. Allow them to penetrate your mind, your soul, your spirit, and then resolve to put aside a few moments each day to "stop and smell the roses". Take a few moments to watch the birds as they hop about searching for food. Listen to their songs of joy. Take a stroll through your yard and admire the intricate flowers He has made, especially the ones you might have called "weeds". Watch for God's encouragement in your life today. Allow Him to minister to your heart. Then, when it's all over--and it WILL come to an end!--don't forget this vital lesson: Always take the time to "stop and smell the roses"! I can guarantee that you will never look at your problems in the same way again. 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Fear of heights, fear of being alone, fear of pain, fear of close spaces, fear of death ... This world if riddled with paralyzing fear. This all important series will be tracing fear back to its roots, defining it, and providing tips for complete "Freedom From Fear!" Check it out at by clicking here!  

Welcome to the Nugget

June 5, 2018

Take a Back Seat

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  I've always enjoyed driving. 

When my children were small and we vacationed as a family, I felt privileged to be anchored behind the steering wheel where I could be in control and keep my family safe to the best of my motoring ability. As a child I always felt secure wedged between my older brother and sister while my dad navigated the busy roadways and mom offered directional commands from the map on her lap. Yes no talking GPS back then!

I still love climbing in behind the wheel and feel that as long as I'm in that position, I can maintain control and safely steer my vehicle where it needs to go. Last week my wife and I ventured forth on a lengthy road trip. Part way my eyes became heavy and with three hours still to go, she kindly offered to drive so I could rest. But in all honesty, I inwardly struggled to relinquish control even though my Mrs. is an excellent driver! It's just that if I wasn't the one driving, I wasn't the one keeping us both safe. Ok yes, I have automobile control issues!

But this got me to thinking about my own life and how often I struggle to let God take the wheel. I still find myself trying to jump in and help steer even though He's fully capable of handling the twisty roads. It's easy to ask for God's help, but it can be difficult to keep anxious hands free and clear. I tend to step right back into the Captain's chair and override His sovereign ability to guide me through a stressful traffic jam. 

As a reminder of God's hand upon my life, I found a comforting verse that says, "He will cover you with his wings; you will be safe in his care; his faithfulness will protect and defend you." (Psalm 91:4 NIV) This reminds me that it's ok to let God drive while sitting back and enjoying the passing scenery. It's all about learning to trust that He knows better than I which freeway to take and which trouble spots to avoid, and that by handing over the wheel, God is ready, willing and able to quell my uneasiness. 

As a driver, I often find that I don't get to enjoy the scenery as much as my passengers because I'm too busy turning, braking and avoiding hazards. Our lives are often full of pot-holes, pylons and barricades, and it's not always easy to pass operational control to our Lord and Savior in difficult times. In my life I need to allow God access to the driver's seat and ask Him to grant me the trust I need to simply be a passenger. To let Him drive so I can rest my weary eyes: "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28 NIV)

Will you join me in the backseat and let God handle the bumpy roads?

Let's enjoy the view together. That really is the best way to travel!

Paul Smyth

Announcement:

Welcome to the Nugget
bible
June 9, 2018

Walking by Faith
 bible
For the most part, the trail along the banks of the Crowe River near Mamora, Ontario, was wide and level, with plenty of ground between the edge of the trail and the edge of the river bank. There were places, however, where the trail narrowed and sloped towards the river, with little solid ground between the slippery gravel and the water below. 

Now I have excellent vision and depth perception (praise God!), and according to my husband, I am half mountain goat by nature. As a result, I skipped over these spots without a second thought. He, on the other hand, is legally blind in one eye and has very poor depth perception, and his eyes simply do not see things the way they truly are. As a result, his brain registers false images of what is ahead, and what to me is a simple part of hiking can quickly become a challenge for him. Needless to say, my husband didn't do quite so well on those narrower, sloping parts of the trail...  

As we've been married for 34 years, I have come to know when my husband may have vision-related trouble on the trail, and after skipping over the first of these slippery sections that day, I turned around, positioned myself on the edge of the river bank with my body between the trail and the water below, and invited him to cross. I assured him that I was on safe ground and that as long as he stayed between me and the cliff on the other side he would be fine. 

The problem was, all his brain could register was his distorted view of the trail, and not only did the spot look perilous, but he panicked thinking I was also in ominous danger. It wasn't that he didn't believe me when I told him I was fine, it's simply that he couldn't get beyond the lies his eyes were telling him. 

It took a bit of coaxing, but he eventually took my offered hand and made his way safely to the other side of that section of trail. 

This problem of sight is an inconvenience to him, but I have to admit that I have a far worse "sight" problem. Oh, my physical vision is fine, but when it comes to my spiritual sight, I fail almost every time. I suspect many of you can relate. When our spiritual sight doesn't see the end result, we tend to have a terrible time putting our trust in God. We understand that He knows best, that He's all powerful and all wise, but we, as human beings, seem to be programed to need to experience things with our own senses before we believe they are real. It is completely foreign for us to simply believe what our senses cannot perceive. 

The Bible, on the other hand, encourages us to not live our lives by what we can "see", but rather, to live them by faith in God: "For we live by believing and not by seeing." (2 Cor. 5:7 NLT). In just the same way that the trail wasn't at all dangerous from my perspective, God's view of our lives reveals to Him that we will make it through unscathed; and just as I put myself between my husband and what he perceived to be the dangerous portion of the trail, God puts Himself between us and the perilous portions of our life's walk. However, in the same way that my husband initially couldn't move beyond what his eyes were telling him, we often cannot move beyond what our senses tell us, and as a result, we get stuck.

What should we do?

Perhaps we should do what my husband did:

1. He stopped his backwards retreat. In the same way, we need to stop trying to avoid the problems in life, but rather, we need to embrace them for the spiritual growth they can give us: "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation." (Rom 5:3-5 NLT).

2. He chose to believe my words of encouragement. God also gives us many words of encouragement, Truths such as: "This is my command--be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9 NLT, see also Is. 40:31; 43:2; Prov. 18:10, Ps. 31:24, etc.). Our job is to believe in those promises.

3. He took my hand. This is what Jesus is encouraging us to do in Matt. 11:28-30: "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." (NLT).

4. He decided to trust in me rather than in what His eyes were telling him. In the same way, we need to blindly stumble on through those valleys, ever trusting that where we cannot "see", we can believe in the One who can: "For we live by believing and not by seeing." (2 Cor. 5:7 NLT).

What will it be? Will we continue to insist on walking by what we physically perceive, or will we put our faith in the fact that where we can't see, God can? Will we turn back, or will we take God's hand and allow Him to bring us through unscathed? 

The choice is ours to make!

In His love, 
Lyn

Announcement:
God is often referred to as "Father" in Scripture. Just what parallels are there between our earthly fathers and our Heavenly Dad? Join us next week for "Abba, Father!" A Mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.

Welcome to the Nugget

June 7, 2018

Heartache: 7 Ways to Conquer it...

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  Sorry, no 911 to call. No emergency assistants available. And medical facilities are nowhere around.

My brother and I snuggled next to my Mom. We rode in the back of a truck. "When will we get there?" I asked her as my 10-year old mind anticipated fun moments in the tropical area of Bolivia.

But to get there, we risked our lives as we rode on the most dangerous road in the world. Should there be a car accident on the narrow mountains bordered with huge cliffs, fatalities are unavoidable. That's the scene outside my hometown of La Paz, Bolivia.

One such accident took place recently, leaving a young man paralyzed. His family, American missionaries, sent prayer requests through cyberspace. Walking only moments earlier, paralyzed the next.

Why is it that tragedy barges unannounced? It catches us unprepared, vulnerable to its cruel claws.

I tasted that heartache years ago when the doctor said to my family and me "He didn't survive the stab wounds he received."

Losing my youngest son was unthinkable. I cried out to God, "Why?"

I found that kind of pain has no reason, but also learned that God's peace has no limit.

Friends, if you or anyone you know is in the prison of pain, here are seven vows needed to conquer heartache:

We count on His help, constant and never changing because "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)

We silence words of self-pity or sorrow. "My lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live…" (Psalm 63:4a)

We let go the grip on bitterness and instead, we reach up to Him. "In your name I will lift up my hands." (Psalm 63:4b)

Our heart may be broken, but our soul is intact. "My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you." (Psalm 63:5)

We thank God for the sweet sleep that will come because "On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night because you are my help…" (Psalm 63:6)

We claim His power, knowing where we find protection. "We sing in the shadow of your wings. Our soul clings to you…" (Psalm 63:7)

We declare: Lord, we will not faint because "Our soul clings to you; your right hand upholds us." (Psalm 63:8)

Father, I praise you for already knowing the help we would need, the comfort we would desire, and the reassurance we would call for. Thank you for going before us to prepare the healing and the restoration of our peace. I thank you in Jesus' name, amen.

How long does heartache have to steal your joy?
What needs to change for you to accept His comfort?
In the silence of the night, what calms your soul?

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Do you know any facebook fans? Why not invite them to visit Answers2Prayer on Facebook! This is their opportunity to discover that our Heavenly Father truly cares for them, and that Jesus is not only their Saviour by their friend as well!

The Illustrator and the Nugget have joined forces and are now on Facebook under the name Answers2Prayer. This group is dedicated to bringing people closer to our loving God through daily thought-provoking devotionals and inspirational stories.

Invite them to join us at by clicking here. They may either sign in or sign up, and once into their account, they can search for Answers2Prayer in the search bar (on the top right corner of the screen) and hit enter. Here they will find our new group, and they can click on "Join Group", hit "Confirm" and then enjoy daily encouragement.

As always, this is a free. Our goal is to help your friends and family make Jesus their focus!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 22 Jun 2018, 9:49 am

SORRY THESE ARE LATE :  ENDED UP IN SPAM. NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 16 Layann10
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 14 May 2018, 10:56 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
bible
May 1, 2018

Status
 bible
By Answers2Prayer 

"You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9

"you are...holy to the Lord your God. Out of all the peoples on the face of the earth, the Lord has chosen you to be his treasured possession." (Deuteronomy 14:2)

Everybody's a celebrity in someone's eyes. The high-profile, obvious ones might be athletes, olympians, singers, or movie stars. It could be a parent to a young child, or perhaps an older sibling. Maybe a student would have a teacher who filled that role, or a ball player, a coach.  

Perhaps someone you don't even know thinks of you as some sort of celebrity. Your smile might light up the day for a weary check-out person at the market, and buoy up his outlook. Or the elderly receptionist handling the front desk in the office may think of you as a celebrity-type, because each day you take an interest and ask how the family's doing. Or maybe you are the only person in months who has thanked the hardworking person who's cleaning the turnpike restroom, and to her you might have celebrity status.

Whether you're aware of it or not, you're a celebrity in God's eyes: He made you ("Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image'...God blessed them" Genesis 1:26,28). 

He loves you ("the Father himself loves you" John 16:27; "To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests" Revelation 1:6). 

And, you are always on His mind ("I would not forget you! See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands" Isaiah 49 15,16).

Enjoy your celebrity status today. Walk in it, knowing that in Somebody's eyes, you are just that, a celebrity.

That's good news.

Announcement:
Great news, our latest Bible Study is finally out. Basking in God's Unfailing Love, An Open Invitation to Experience God Personally To a world gone mad, trying to get to know Jesus may seem foolish. However if you give Him a try, you will desire to get to know Him more and more at the deepest level possible. His relationship with you will be more precious compared to any other human relationships out there. Enjoy getting to know Him.

Come explore it here!

Welcome to the Nugget

May 3, 2018

Evidence

By Answers2Prayer 
  "Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation." (1 Peter 2:12 NASB)

I was preparing to shave my fifty year old face this morning when I noticed something: my wrinkles no longer disappear when I relax my face. They have become permanent etchings in my skin. I know too that the television and internet are full of advertisements for creams, treatments, and botox to ease and lessen these permanent wrinkles but as I looked at mine in the mirror I decided that it would be far better just to let them be. They are, after all, the evidence of the life I have lived.

When I looked at them more closely I could see the lines on the bridge of my nose and between my eyebrows that have been cut from a lifetime of dealing with back pain. There are also some pretty deep ones above my eyebrows that have come from all of the times I have been stressed, angry or frustrated. On my forehead are even deeper ones that have come from all of those moments when my eyes opened wide in astonishment, fascination, or learning. The thickest and deepest ones of all, though, seemed to be the curving lines around my eyes. They are the evidence of my every laugh and my every smile. I noticed too that the happier my smile the more their cousins in my cheeks appeared as well. All in all then I wouldn't erase the evidence of this life I have lived here. It has been a good life. It has had its pains and sorrows but also its loves and joys. It isn't over yet either. I can't wait to see just how deep my wrinkles will one day become.

The evidence of our lives doesn't just lie in our faces either. It also lives in every heart we touch, every person we help, and every life we make better. It lives in the love and joy that we bring to this world. It lives in the light that we carry around in our souls. May the evidence of your own life always bring a smile to your face and to God's as well.

By: Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcement:
POEMS!
Do you appreciate poetry? Why not check out the Poem page on Scriptural Nuggets? Just go to the Scriptural Nuggets home page and check out the new poems that are published each week!

Welcome to the Nugget

May 5, 2018

Created for His Pleasure

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  "You are worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power. For you created everything, and it is for your pleasure that they exist and were created." (Rev. 4:11 NLT)

So much of humanity struggles with feelings of insecurity and low self-worth. The question, "What is my purpose?" is common, and many spend valuable time, effort and resources seeking answers to this question. 

Though it may sound simplistic to some, the key to finding our purpose can be found in the above verse: "For you created everything, and it is for your pleasure that they exist and were created." (Rev. 4:11 NLT) 

Our ultimate purpose? We were created for God's pleasure!

Wait. Does this mean we are simply toys in His hands? Are our lives nothing but elaborate video games? 

If you take the word "pleasure" from a worldly perspective, it would be tempting to think that we are nothing but pastimes for the God Almighty. Let's remember, however, that the Bible describes God's relationship with us as that of a Father: "As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him" (Psalm 103:13 NIV), and the theme that runs throughout the entire Bible and cumulates in the gift of Salvation is this: God, our Ultimate Father, is actively involved in our affairs. Consider the following Truths:

1. God takes interest in each of His children: "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" (Matthew 6:26 NIV);

2. God always acts in our best interest: "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" (Jer. 29:11 NIV); and He 

3. God communicates with us and desires to give us guidance: "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" (Is. 30:21 NIV). 

Because God is our ultimate Father, the concept of being created for God's pleasure can perhaps be best understood from the perspective of a parent. Being a parent doesn't mean that we should "play" with the young lives placed in our care, or that we should use them for our own selfish intentions. Rather, loving parents will take pleasure and find fulfillment in being interested in their children, in acting in their best interest, in communicating with them, in giving them guidance and in being actively involved in their affairs. The difference is subtle, yet any caring parent will understand that the idea of "taking pleasure" in our children is completely unselfish. 

This is the kind of pleasure that is spoken of in Revelation 4:11: "and it is for your pleasure that they exist and were created"; and herein lies the key to finding our purpose in life. We were created to provide God with the pleasure of being involved in our lives, of providing for us, of interacting with us and communicating with us. Thus, we are bringing pleasure to God and fulfilling our God-given purpose when we actively pursue a relationship with Him; when we allow Him to be our provision, our Rock, our help in time of trouble; when we make the effort to spend time with Him and when we seek His will for our lives, 

It actually doesn't matter where we are in our walk in life or what profession (if any at all!) we have. It is completely immaterial whether or not we have even discovered God's direction for our lives. Rather, in our search for purpose, we can rest assured that when we make an effort to spend time with God, when we put our trust in Him and allow Him to be our provision and our strength, we are fulfilling our purpose in life. Perhaps the best part, however, is this: When we make it our first priority to bring pleasure to God, we actually open the door for Him to provide us with guidance and a knowledge of His will! 

Do you want to feel fulfilled in life? Do you desire to accomplish your purpose? Why not make it your number one goal to bring God pleasure? For it is truly, "for [God's] pleasure that exist and were created." (Rev. 4:11 NLT).

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Welcome to the Nugget

May 8, 2018

One Thing You Must do to be Truly Happy

By Answers2Prayer 
 Last week, I followed my nightly routine and fixed myself a cup of chamomile tea; not sure why I filled it to the brim, but I did.

Funny thing is that those of us who are blind tend to bump into things, especially when we're in a hurry. And that's exactly what I did. As I carried it from the kitchen to the bedroom, I misjudged the door frame and my elbow caught the edge, causing my tea to spill out. UGH!

That's what happens to all of us. When we experience bumps in life, whatever overflows in us will pour out. If we carry fear and we hear bad news, fear will spill out. When we harbor anger and someone doesn't measure up to our standards, rudeness and anger will trickle out. When insecurities overflow, a defensive attitude will leak out. And before we know it, we stand in a puddle of unhappiness.

But there's hope, and it comes in the vehicle called "change." When faith, grace, patience, genuine love and gentleness overflow in our heart, no matter how hard the bump, these will spill out. "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him" (Matthew 12:34b-35).

What we store in the heart is the determining factor between living a marvelous life or a miserable existence.

Father, grant me wisdom to analyze what fills my heart. Show me what I need to remove and replace. Reveal to me what I must store in order to please you; to bring honor and glory to you. Teach me how to store genuine love so it spills out to those around me. In Jesus' name, amen.

What fills your heart today?

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Join us next Thursday to welcome the newest Nugget Author, Paul Smyth, for some lessons to be learned...from the cockpit of an airplane!

Welcome to the Nugget

May 10, 2018

Pause Button
By Answers2Prayer 
  Descending through four thousand feet, the twin engine Beech Baron was purring like the happiest of felines as it maneuvered through a cloudless sky. Above, twinkling stars were beginning to reveal their positions as the weary pilot prepped his bird for landing. Glancing out the left window, he was comforted by the fact his wings were secure, their smooth surfaces generating the lift needed to stay aloft and right side up.

Thanking God for a safe flight, he reached for a lever close to his knee and tapped it once. A vibration told him the flaps were extending. The veteran aviator lowered the landing gear and adjusted his seatbelt one last time. Then he set flaps to full and keyed his radio microphone, "Owensville Tower, Skywest four-seven is ten miles west, inbound for landing."

Once he received landing clearance, the pilot made small adjustments to keep his airplane aimed at the centre line of the illuminated runway. Concentrating fiercely, his goal as always was a trouble free landing where the wheels kissed the tarmac with hardly a bump. If only life brimmed with soft landings and light winds, he reflected. At fifty-six, the man knew that life packed a punch. It was during those difficult times that he was most grateful for his faith.

Anxious for a hot cup of coffee inside the terminal, the pilot smiled and adjusted the trim; then the unthinkable happened: A sudden cross wind hammered the aircraft, launching it violently to the right. Stunned by the sudden loss of control, he kicked in left rudder and yanked the control yoke in the opposite direction. The airplane levelled off briefly, but then rolled again to the right. Fighting to regain stable flight, he knew something had gone terribly wrong. As his face contorted with the realization he was about to crash, there was still one emergency procedure that could save his life...

With his index finger shaking, the pilot quickly reached for the only button that could prevent calamity: The 'PAUSE' button! Mere seconds from disaster, his airplane suddenly froze on the computer screen. Sitting back in his chair, the haggard pilot wiped his brow and breathed a huge sigh of relief. Crisis averted!

So where am I going with this flying yarn? Let me explain! I'm a flight simulator pilot, a virtual aviator! And the guy in the story is me! Whether its clear skies or storm clouds, the experience transports me into a world of make believe. 

But we all know that real life stresses are anything but simulated. Have you ever wished your life came with a 'pause' button, that at the first sign of trouble, you could hit 'P' and simply halt the pain, grief or sorrow long enough to plan an exit strategy?

I don't know your circumstances, but I do know that we're all going through something. Perhaps it's job loss, financial hardship or an unexpected illness. Or maybe the garage door came down on your brand new Ferrari! Ouch! If life's good for you right now; fantastic! But one thing is certain: rough air will eventually rock your wings and send you spiralling towards the ground.

We all know that sidelining the stresses in our lives is impossible, but even so, do you have a game plan for enduring those trials? Whatever it is you're facing right now or will face in the future, might I encourage you to pause long enough to speak to the One who gave His life for yours. Including God in your circumstances and laying your baggage at the foot of the cross will quiet your heart before our Savior Jesus Christ. Cool thing is; He hears you and promises rest! Psalms 94:19 (NIV) puts it this way: "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." I'm totally good with that!

Jesus understood better than anyone the dynamic power of prayer and He encourages us to follow His lead. He's fully tuned in, so everything we face in life is already on His radar! So incredibly enough, we don't have to go it alone! 

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight." Those three little words, "trust", "lean" and "submit" are fueled by our prayers. Prayer breeds trust, allowing our hearts to lean on God for support. Through prayer, we learn to submit our lives Him. 

If your life is crazy busy like mine, I know that stopping to pray to is easier said than done. But when I do, I've discovered that peace, trust and submission take root in my weary heart. And isn't confidence and full dependence on God what we as believers ultimately strive for?

God tells us in Matthew 7:7 (NIV), "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." One of the best ways to knock on God's front door is through prayer. He cherishes you and delights in the time you spend conversing with Him or reading His word. 

So has my own life been trouble free? That's a gargantuan negative! There have been times when the sky before me looked impenetrable and the horizon bristled with choking grey clouds. But I'm slowly learning to cast my burdens by pausing the chaos long enough to pray. Prayer brings a smile to my lips and peace to my heart...and guaranteed it will to yours also! 

Your words don't have to be eloquent or perfectly phrased. God knows what you need even before you ask Him for it! So I encourage you to let Him pilot your life. All you need to do is sit in the backseat, hit the 'pause button' and pray!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a plane to save!

Paul Smyth  
Announcement:
NO MORE EMAIL ADDRESSES
To protect against SPAM, some Nugget writers have asked to no longer have their email addresses published in The Nugget. Should you wish to contact the author of a particular devotional directly, and the email address is not included, please send your email here, and it will be forwarded directly to the author. If you have any questions, please contact Lyn by clicking here!

Welcome to the Nugget

May 12, 2018

The Will of God

By Answers2Prayer 
  God's will...A term we hear often, something we're advised to seek, something made reference to throughout the Bible...But just what IS God's will, anyway?

I don't know about you, but I've always thought of someone's "will" in a somewhat negative light. The "will of Lyn", for example, certainly stands in my way of Spiritual growth and happiness; for if it isn't happening according to "Lyn's will", then I'm not overly happy about it!

I have to also admit that the term, "will of God," holds somewhat of a negative connotation in my heart. Somehow, the term seems to conjure up images of God as a disciplinarian, someone who looks at global well-being above personal happiness. I mean, even though I know God's will is best and I want it to happen, whenever it doesn't line up with "Lyn's will," I generally sigh and resign myself to not getting my own way. Once in a while, I even fall into the trap of asking God why He can't take 'my' desires into account once in a while... 

But is this truly the way to look at God's will? 

Last Saturday, an article based on Rev. 4:11, NLT, was published in the Nugget: "Created for God's Pleasure": "You are worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power. For you created everything, and it is for your pleasure that they exist and were created." 

This message had been a deep revelation to me, for I had never before fully understood until then how God takes so much pleasure in caring for us, giving us gifts, helping us through life, and especially in the few moments each day that we try to dedicate to Him. Imagine my surprise to receive a loving note from one of the Nugget's astute readers informing me of the truth that the word "pleasure" in the NLT version of Rev. 4:11 cannot be found in most English versions of the Bible. Rather, in most Bibles other than those related to the KJV, the original Greek is translated as "will"! 

Now I don't know about you, but the words "will" and "pleasure" are not synonyms in my personal lexicon...So which is it? Are we created for God's will? Or for His pleasure?

A quick internet search revealed that the original Greek word that is sometimes translated as "pleasure" and sometimes as "God's will"--thelema--is taken from the Greek root thelo, meaning to desire or to wish. More properly translated, it is often referred to as God's "preferred-will", or stated differently, His "best-offer" to people. (Taken from Helps Word Studies, as referenced in Bible Hub ). 

Wait a minute. Aren't desires and wishes positive? Aren't "best offers" set with the good of everyone in mind, including the recipient of the offer? 

With this in mind, Rev. 4:11 could read like this: ...and it is for God's desire and wish that we exist and were created. It is because creating us was God's "best-offer"...

It puts a different spin on things, doesn't it? We are here for a reason, and that reason is to fulfill the desire and wish of God Himself! We are here, as it is translated in the KJV and the NLT, for His pleasure!

This made me think about the term, "will of God", seen in so many other places in the Bible. Could it be that the use of this term in other contexts also connotates "desire" or "wish", or even "God's 'preferred-will'"? Does it mean that every time we see "God's will" in the Bible, it is referring to His "Best-offer"? 

But wait. If this is what the term "will of God" refers to in the Bible, what does this mean for all the other gazillion times we hear and use this term? 

Take our prayers, for example. So often we pray, "Lord, may Your will be done". What if we were to pray in this manner: Dear God, may Your "desire and wish" come to be! May we accept Your "best-offer"!

Taking prayer a bit farther, so often we pray, "Lord, if it is Your will, please heal ____ of their ___." When we think of God's will as His desire and wish, however, we begin to realize that healing is always God's desire and wish. Isn't this, after all, what made up the major portion of Jesus' ministry on Earth? Why would God's desires and wishes things change just because Jesus returned to Heaven? How much more powerful our prayers for healing might be if we understood that "God's will" is also His desire for our best good!

And let's think about the whole "'God's' will vs. 'my' will" conundrum. Thinking of God's will as His absolute "best offer" suddenly puts it in a completely different light and my own "best offer" pales in comparison to the one offered by the all-wise, all-knowing God of the universe. Suddenly it doesn't seem so much like He is disciplining me when things don't go "my" way; but rather, that in His love, He is offering something better, and He is asking me to simply trust in what I cannot see!

Doesn't this speak to His incomprehensible love for us? Thinking of His will as His desire or His wish can help us come to a better understanding of His infinite love; and I don't know about you, but I am going to understand something far deeper the next time I come across "will of God!" 

"Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (Rom. 12:2b NLT)

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
May I add here that if there is ever a time when something published in the Nugget doesn't seem to add up to what you understand from the Bible, please let me know. The last thing I would ever want to do is to "scratch" your "itching ears" with what I want to believe the Bible says, if ever it were actually not true (See 2 Tim. 4:3). 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 28 Apr 2018, 2:11 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

April 28, 2018

Not by Sight

By Answers2Prayer 
 Genesis 19 records the sad story of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. 

We know from Genesis 18 that the day before, Abraham, concerned for his family in Sodom (see Gen. 19:29), interceded with the Lord on behalf of the city, and in the end, the Lord promised: "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it." (Gen. 18:32b NIV). Sadly, ten righteous people were not found in Sodom, and even more sadly, even Lot and his family had to be pulled out of the city by force (See Gen. 19:16). 

Abraham, however, did not know that his family had been saved. In those days there was no 11 o'clock news, no internet, no texts, no email and no telephones. There weren't even newspapers. When Abraham looked out early that next morning, he didn't see Lot being drug away from the city. All he saw was dense smoke: "Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the Lord. He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace." (Gen. 19:27-28 NIV). Because the Bible doesn't record any further interaction between Abraham and Lot, there is the possibility that Abraham would never know that Lot had been saved!

What must he have thought at that point? 

The Bible actually doesn't tell us what Abraham thought. All we can do is imagine, and I don't know about you, but my thoughts might have screamed forth something like this: "Oh God! My family! They're...gone!" 

Interestingly, the fact that Abraham must have believed Lot to be dead didn't change the fact that what he saw with his eyes and believed as truth was missing one important piece of information: Lot had been safely pulled from the city (See Gen. 19:16-26, 30)!

God may not always reveal to us exactly what happens. He may leave us without all the facts. What our senses scream forth may be missing some vital piece of information. What do we do then? Do we believe that God has not kept His promises? Do we begin to doubt? Do we become angry with Him? Or do we simply have faith that He is in control and cling to Him despite what our senses are telling us?

Let's remember that the recipe for living a blessed life, a life without fear, requires that we put our trust in God: "But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." (Jer. 17:7-8 NIV). Though we don't always have all the answers, two things are clear: Our lack of knowledge about the facts doesn't change them, and sometimes we are required to simply: "...live by faith, not by sight" (2 Cor. 5:7 NIV). Abraham's life was an example of this, for although we do not know his reaction to the destruction of Sodom, we do know that He continued to put His trust in God: "By faith Abraham..." (Heb. 11:8 NIV). 

Whatever it is you are going through right now, it doesn't matter what your senses are telling you. What matters is that you cling to the One who is the Author of Truth; that you never let your faith waiver despite what your eyes may see; that you trust in the Lord and put your confidence in Him no matter what. What truly matters is to live..."by faith and not by sight"!

In His love,
Lyn 

Announcement:
Do you find yourself far away from home?  Do you even know where home is?  Check out the mini-series, "Homeward Bound", by Elizabeth Price.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 26 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
bible
April 26, 2018

What to do When Feeling Trapped
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
Sometimes God has a message for us in the oddest ways and even in the silliest situations. I pulled away from my computer and turned to hubby. "Listen to this story," I said.

A baby camel looked up to his mother, "Mommy, why do we have these long eyelashes, these big hooves and a hump on our back?"

She turned to him. "God made us that way for a very special reason," she explained. "Our large feet are to keep us from sinking into the sand."

"Why the big eyelashes?" he asked.

"It's to protect our eyes from the sand."

"Why the big humps?"

"That is to store fat and have enough energy to go long distances in the hot desert!"

"I see!" The baby camel stretched his neck and looked up at his mother. "The large feet are to keep us from sinking into the sand, the long eyelashes are to keep the sand out of our eyes, and the humps are to store energy to travel...then what are we doing in this cage in the middle of a zoo?"

I have asked the same question. Like the camel, I had all I needed to enjoy life. I had desires and dreams, and prepared my wings to fly high to success. But instead, I found myself in a cage of grief and heartache. Pitiful really, and definitely not the place I thought I belonged. At the age of 30, my eyesight closed in completely. I lost my joy, my purpose, and my freedom. Bars of gloom and desperation surrounded me.

Inside that cage, I longed for days gone by. Days when I could see. Days when life still held promises for tomorrow.

Have you ever been there? Have you known that longing?

If you have, like He did with me, God might be whispering this powerful truth right into your soul: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:18)

When looking forward, we see the freedom from past longings. When we choose to see outside our cage, we see His hand calling. And when we choose to use what God gave us, we can live in the richness of today.

Pray with me:

Father, I need your reminder each moment of each day that you created me for much more than what I see within my cage. Thank you for showing me the way to the freedom you offer, fresh with your promises. In Jesus' name, amen.

Janet Eckles

Announcement:
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request by clicking here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 24 Apr 2018, 9:54 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

April 24, 2018

The Ordinary Extraordinaire

By Answers2Prayer 
  "In everything give thanks." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

The ordinary, ho-hum everyday, something that's so easy to take for granted. Mountain-top experiences are wonderful but life is lived in the plains and valleys. It's practically impossible to overestimate the ordinary everyday.

Perhaps among those might be a familiar scene out a window, or thick clouds and a gentle soaking rain, the glory of a sunrise or a spectacular sunset, a child's loud, joyous laughter. Or reading a morning newspaper, coffee in hand. A field of wild flowers, studying your Bible, making a sandwich. Washing dishes or doing laundry. Going through the mail. A phone call or text from a friend. The sound of city traffic. A warm smile from a cashier you don't know. A tail-wag greeting from your neighbor's puppy.

Today's the best day to come to a holy halt, slowing it down just a bit and enjoying the day. An attitude of gratitude will take us a long way, and ordinary is truly beautiful.

Thank you, Lord, for the mountains and peaks, and thank you especially for the valleys and plains - the gift of our extraordinary ordinary everyday.

Announcement:
The ultimate in prayers, changeless throughout history, powerful in simplicity: The Lord's Prayer. Please click here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 21 Apr 2018, 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

April 21, 2018

The Ultimate Nemesis

By Answers2Prayer 
  My 14 year-old Golden Retriever is on borrowed time. Having already surpassed the normal lifespan of her breed by at least two years, she continues to do the things that she has always loved, including romping in the snow, rolling in the grass, and begging to go for a walk. There is only one major problem in her life: Stairs! With age, her arthritis has become so significant that even the simplest tasks of getting up from the floor or walking across the linoleum are challenges for her. By far the biggest challenge, however, is the stairs. More times than I can count she's tried to climb the stairs, only to slide--or fall!--back to the bottom. It has reached the point that she is actually afraid of stairs. Unfortunately for her, we live in a five-level house...

As her arthritis has worsened, we have set her up on the entry level of the home so that she doesn't have to climb a single stair in the house unless she chooses to. Her only problem, then, is the stairs she must climb in order to enter the house, and due to her her newly-developed stair-phobia, it is now necessary for one of us to hold her collar as she faces them. 

It occurred to me today that this "collar-holding" serves two purposes: It provides her with some stability and assurance that she won't slide--or fall!--down the stairs, yes; but it also gives her that little "nudge" of encouragement she needs to even attempt the climb.

In life, there are many "stairs" we must face in order to move forward. Life's "stairs" generally look a bit more like trials and troubles than they do ascending and descending structures; but they still provide us with obstacles that inhibit our forward movement. There are times in our lives that we embrace those "stairs" with joy. Sometimes, however, the "arthritis" of life--the stresses, the emotional and physical pain, the broken relationships, etc.--cripple us to the point that we can't seem to face that extra responsibility, that new diagnosis, that sudden death in the family, or whatever it may be. Much like my dog, we find ourselves cowering at the mere thought of what we must face. 

Unfortunately for our dog, we can't remove the stairs from our house. In the same way, we cannot remove the trials and temptations from our lives. Just like my dog must make herself climb the stairs in order to get inside to her food, her comfort and her family, we also must pass through the troubled times. Fortunately for us, there is Someone who willingly left the comforts of Heaven to make a way: "Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body..." (Heb. 10:19-20 NIV), and that Someone has promised to be: "...our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." (Ps. 46:1 NIV). He has promised: "It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." (Deut. 31:8 NIV see also Deut. 31:6, Heb. 13:5, Josh. 1:9, Is. 41:10-13, Matt. 28:20, etc.). Thus, it is Jesus Himself who promises to "hold our collar" so to speak, ensuring that we don't slip and fall and enabling us to make it through.

Interestingly, sometimes He is there to give us the stability and strength we need; but other times we require the occasional "nudge" to move forward. That nudge may not feel good, for it may be that God is encouraging us to continue in a direction we do not wish to go; however, that nudge will always be accompanied by the strength and stability He promises us. 

In the face of whatever new challenge has been put in your path, think about my arthritic dog and the hand on the collar that stabilizes and encourages her to go forward. Remember that it is the mighty hand of Jesus Christ that is always there for you. Let Him be your strength and stability, and when those gentle "nudges" come along, encouraging you to move onward even when you don't think you can, respond to them by doing just that: moving onward in His power and might. You'll be amazed at how much easier it becomes to be victorious through the trials!

P.S: This was written 6 months ago. My sweet, 14.5 year old "puppy" took her final breaths on this Earth this past Monday. We rejoice in the time God alloted us to be her human parents, and we will always remember all the thousands of lessons God has used her to teach us. 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. Please click here for Study #1 -- JESUS AND NICODEMUS; Study #2 -- THE WOMAN AT THE WELL; Study #3 -- AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA; Study #4 -- THE BREAD OF LIFE; Study #5 -- The Shepherd and His Flock; and Study #6 -- The Vine and the Branches.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 14 Mar 2018, 9:56 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

March 13, 2018

You'll Love me Later

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  "So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him." (Matt. 7:11 NLT)

I was in a local store recently when I saw something that opened a window into my soul and let in a little more light. I had just picked up some shampoo and was headed to the pet supplies to get some more dog food for my furry friends. I decided to take a shortcut through one of the toy aisles. Blocking my way, however, was a young father and his four year old daughter. The little girl was pleading with her Dad to buy her a new doll. The Dad was being gentle but firm telling her they couldn't afford it right now. Finally, the daughter burst into tears and said angrily, "I hate you!"

I thought that the father would get mad at her for this outburst. I know that I probably would have when I was his age. Instead he just smiled down at her, put his hand on her head, and said, "That's alright. You'll love me later". I stood there in amazement as he took her hand and they walked off. Then it dawned on me that I had been in this situation many times myself over the years but not as the father.

Many times over the years I have cried and thrown a fit when I didn't get what I wanted. Many times I grew angry at God when I felt my prayers weren't being answered. Through them all, though, our Heavenly Father was patient, loving, and kind with me. He knew that I didn't understand why certain things had to happen the way they did. He knew that my anger was a part of my growing up spiritually in this world. He knew that I would love Him later.

God loves us all so much. We are all His Children. But we are still growing up spiritually in this world. We don't know all the answers. That is why we need to trust in our Heavenly Father's Love and give Him ours as well. It is never too late to love God. It is never too late to invite Him into your soul. It is never too late to let His light guide your life.

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcement:
Ever wonder about the Omniscience of God? Ever wonder if little acts of obedience are important? Check out the mini-series, "Omniscient God" by clicking here.  
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 10 Mar 2018, 9:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 10, 2018

Arm-stretching? Or Reading Glasses? Part 2
By Answers2Prayer
Last Thursday, in "Arm-Stretching? Or Reading Glasses? Part 1", we saw from the example of my farsidedness and my need for reading glasses, that it isn't necessary to undergo the torture of "arm stretching" to be able to read and understand God's Word. Just like I need reading glasses to read, we all need "Spiritual Glasses"--God's Holy Spirit. When we humble ourselves before God and ask for His Spirit to help us as we read the Bible, we are amazed at how the words suddenly scream forth meaning.

It is also true, however, that there are still days that even these "spiritual glasses" don't seem to be doing the trick for me. My "arms" are still way "too short", for I still can't always understand what I'm reading. Why?

If I think about my reading glasses, there are also times when they are properly balanced on my nose, but I still can't make out the words of the book or email I am trying to read. This is because there is a dirty haze covering those all-important lenses, and it is amazing how clear the words become once I wipe that haze away. Could it be that my spiritual "glasses" can also become dirty? Is there a "haze" or "fog" that can cloud my ability to discern spiritual things, even when I ask for God's Spirit to help me understand?

The Bible suggests that there is actually something that can keep us from communicating with God: "If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, my Lord would not have listened." (Psalm 66:18 NLT). Isaiah also suggests something similar: "Listen! The LORD's arm is not too weak to save you, nor is his ear too deaf to hear you call. It's your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore." (Isaiah 59:1,2 NLT) In other words, when we harbor sin in our hearts, we block that line of communication with God!

But just what is this great sin?

Any sin, really; however, there are some things that may not be quite as obvious as others. Take worry, for example. The Bible tells us to: "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." (1 Peter 5:7 NLT). When I worry, I am being disobedient to this command, and that worry clouds my spiritual vision and makes it difficult to communicate with God.

There are other times when I do understand. Clearly. But what I understand isn't in line with what I want to understand. It is at these times that my own will clouds my ability to utilize my "Spiritual glasses". It is so often said, "You hear what you want to hear", and if you think about it, we aren't so likely to listen when what we hear isn't in line with our own will!

Another related "layer" that can coat my Spiritual vision is control. Often times what I see in God's Word speaks to me about relinquishing control...to Him! But I don't want to relinquish control, for that would put me...out of control! Horrors! That would be just...awful!

There is, however, something absolutely amazing that I have learned: when I repent of my sin, renounce my will, relinquish control and hand my worries over to God, my spiritual vision clears and I can make full use of those "Spiritual glasses". It is truly amazing!

God's Word. One of the greatest gifts He has ever given us; yet our arms will always be "too short" unless we choose to wear the "Spiritual Glasses". The Bible will never make total sense without the help of its Inspiration, God's Spirit, and this is the first and most important step in understanding the Word of God. However, just like my reading glasses are of no use to me when they are dirty, when we allow our minds to become "clouded" with things like our own will, worry, control, sin, or whatever it may be, we will not be able to see through God's "spiritual glasses". We won't hear the voice of His Spirit, and when this happens, we have a little "lens cleaning" to do.

Last Thursday I suggested that we pray and ask for God's Spirit to be with us when we read His Word, to unblind our spiritual eyes and unstop our spiritual ears, to be a lamp unto our feet, to pierce to the division of soul and spirit, to judge the thoughts and intentions of our hearts (See Ps. 119:105, Heb. 4:12). In addition to this prayer, I would suggest that we also ask God to help us search our hearts for anything -- sin, control, our own will, worry, whatever it may be -- that could cloud our spiritual vision. Repenting of these things will work on our "spiritual glasses" in the same way the lens cloth cleans my reading glasses, rendering our spiritual vision crystal clear. The result will be an exciting time in God's Word. Guaranteed.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Are you ever tempted to think that your sin has no consequence? After all, Jesus forgave ALL our sins! Even that one little time when we knew better, but it anyway! What could be the harm? Check out "Lessons From David's Fall," a mini-series designed to help us understand that EACH and EVERY ONE of our actions have a profound affect, not only on our own lives, but on the lives of thousands of others around us: Lessons From David's Fall
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 25 Feb 2018, 4:03 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Februry 24, 2018

When a Moralistic Mission goes awry, Part 3

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us Today, we come to the concluding part of the series titled "When a moralistic mission goes awry"...

Miserable...

While King David's friend may have lost his life, it was the King who felt the most miserable (1 Chro 13:11-12) at the sorry turn of events for which he himself was solely responsible. Be it as it may, let's capture what David himself has to say about the reasons behind the Lord's act of inflicting painful chastisement, albeit in a different situation: "The punishment you gave me was the best thing that could have happened to me, for it taught me to pay attention to your laws. They are more valuable to me than millions in silver and gold!" (Ps. 119:71-72 TLB).

Modify...

Misery led to the temporary modification in David's plan to take the Ark to Jerusalem. He would now instead take it to the home of a Levite, Obededom (1 Chron. 15:24) the Gittite, so called because he was the resident of Gath-Rimmon, one of the Levitical Cities (Joshua 21:24-25).

Manifold...

Put yourself in Obededom's shoes, as the Ark of the Covenant came home! Considering the circumstances, one can well imagine with what reverential fear he and his family members would have gone about their lives. No wonder, the Scripture says, obviously out of joy in seeing Obededom conduct affairs of his home with deep reverential fear for three months, that the Lord blessed him with manifold blessings (1 Chron. 13:14).

Mend...

Trust godly David to repent whenever he was confronted with his faults and fallacies (Psalm 51/2 Sam 24); and this incident, which is the first of the other two grave mistakes of his life, kind of establishes a pattern: Stand...fall...rise! Deep remorse of this contrite King over a moralistic mission gone awry due to Scriptural negligence can well be gauged by these sombre words, even as he mends fences with His Creator. Let the Scripture take over at this stage...

"Then David called for Zadok and Abiathar, the High Priests, and for the Levite leaders: Uriel, Asaiah, Joel, Shemaiah, Eliel, and Amminadab. 'You are the leaders of the clans of the Levites,' he told them. 'Now sanctify yourselves with all your brothers so that you may bring the Ark of Jehovah, the God of Israel, to the place I have prepared for it. The Lord destroyed us before because we handled the matter improperly--you were not carrying it.'" (1 Chron. 15:11-13 TLB).

About a Christian's life also...the wise Rick Warren observed, "A Christian begins with repentance and is sustained by repentance".

Mission 2...

If seeds for failure of "Mission 1" were laid by way of an improper spiritual preparation, seeds for success of Mission 2 were by the same token planted this time out by proper, reverential, meticulous preparation. No wonder that when the curtains come down on this particular account of finally bringing the Ark to Jerusalem, the Scripture makes mention of peaceful and joyous settings at the end of it all: "And when David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts and distributed among all the people, the whole multitude of Israel, both men and women, a cake of bread, a portion of meat, and a cake of raisins to each one. Then all the people departed, each to his house" (2 Sam 6:18-19).
May we too, at all times, undertake tasks for God's Glory in the way He desires, so that we can also experience this truth of which that great Missionary Hudson Taylor speaks of thus: "God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply." Oh of all the finest things He supplies, let's crave for His approval first and foremost in everything we undertake in His Name!

Prayer: Father, let all our steps be ordered by Thee at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
It is never easy to do what is right, but it is always the right thing to do. But what if doing what is right gets you into trouble? What then? Check out "Yes Boss!!!" a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan, designed to help us understand the importance of doing the right thing, as well as the ultimate blessings that will result!
©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 ...Freely you have received, freely give....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 20 Feb 2018, 9:22 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Februry 20, 2018

When a Morlistic Mission goes awry, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer 
   Heard of anecdotes when something done with an apparently good intention, but done in the wrong way, went haywire? Here's one for starters... 

Who can forget a school time story often told to emphasize the importance of proper usage of punctuation marks? It is said that on account of a last-minute Presidential pardon, a convict's death sentence by hanging was slashed. But unfortunately, due to improper usage of a comma, the wired message to the Prison (sent in a hurry), where this convict was to be executed, read: "Hang him, not release him" instead of the supposed "Hang him not, release him". 

Coming to the spiritual realm...St. Jerome, the patron saint of translators, studied Hebrew so he could translate the Old Testament into Latin from the original language instead of from the third century Greek version that everyone else had used. The resulting Latin version, known as, "The Vulgate", which became the basis for hundreds of subsequent translations, contained a famous mistake. When Moses comes down from Mount Sinai, his head has "radiance" or, in Hebrew, "karan." But Hebrew is written without the vowels, and St. Jerome had read "karan" as "keren" or "horned." From this error came centuries of paintings and sculptures of Moses with horns. Even the great renaissance artist Michael Angelo sculpted Moses with a horn, and thus, the odd offensive stereotype of the "horned Jew" was born. 

While at best (or worst...Sic), the resultant damage may have been limited to some Jewish sentiments getting rubbed the wrong way courtesy this semantic error of that great Saint, there was nothing as catastrophic as the loss of life, nor was any incumbent King left with egg on his face, so to speak. Now welcome to the Biblical story that resulted in just that! Consider David's gaffe over transporting the Ark of the Covenant (1 Chron. 13:1-14) from Kiriath-Jearim to Jerusalem in an ox-cart instead of on the shoulders of Priestly Kohathites (Numbers 4:15/Numbers 7:19)! 

It is an altogether different story as to why the Ark, which symbolized both God's presence and His Covenantal relationship with Israel, landed in Kiriath-Jearim in the first place, when it ought to have been in the "The Most Holy Place" (a separate Chamber) of the Tabernacle at Gibeon. Incidentally the story of Tabernacle itself moving to Gibeon from its original place of erection in Shiloh (Joshua 18:1) is a gargantuan subject in itself. Amongst others, the subject would lead us to a topic culminating in a fascinating time in Israel's history, when there were for the first and only time, two High Priests. One was in Gibeon and the other in Jerusalem (See 1 Kings 4:4). Yours truly will endeavour to throw light on fascinating subjects some other time, but in this 3-part series, we will see what lessons can be glean from David's moralistic mission gone awry. We will focus on alliteration, sub-headings beginning with "M", as we, of this generation, are better served in paying proper attention to our Lord's instructions (1 Cor 10:11)... 

Miss-out...

Until this goof-up, one of the outstanding characteristics of the man of God's own heart, David himself (See 1 Sam 13:14/Acts 13:22), had been to often "enquire of the Lord". A careful study of the Scriptures would reveal that until this "spiritual blunder", David had enquired of the Lord when faced with different challenges not less than 6 times (1 Sam 23:2,4/1 Sam 30:8/2 Sam 2:1/2 Sam 5:19,23). Sadly, however, before embarking on this "noble" mission of bringing the Ark of the Covenant to the permanent "home of God", Jerusalum, where the temple would soon be constructed (See Ps. 132:13-14), instead of Gibeon, which was only a temporary place for the Lord's presence in dispensation of Law, there is no mention of this great King "enquiring of the Lord". The Scriptures say he, "consulted with the captains of thousands and hundreds, and with every leader" (1 Chron. 13:1 NLT) instead. If seeking the Lord's opinion seemed too much to ask for David, then ideally instead of military leaders, it would have served him well to consult the Levitical leaders before making the "final call" on the subject. This was, in all, predominantly a spiritual matter...Talk of consulting a Nephrologist to discuss your Cardiac problem, rather than a seeing a Cardiologist... 

Sadly, it would seem that David missed out on the obvious opportunity to seek the right answer from the right source. While the saying, "the work well begun is half-done" is true, the converse of it is also equally true: work not well begun, is half-done for! Say Servant of God, are you prayerfully enquiring of the Lord before launching out on any noble mission that is purportedly to be carried out for His Glory? 

Prayer: Father, we confess of our haste shown in taking up spiritual projects without properly seeking Your counsel in those matters. Forgive us and make us fully dependent on you for all of our projects, from the their beginning until their end. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries  
Announcement:
The early church united in prayer, and as a result, miracles upon miracles happened. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded in modern times by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. Just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Check out the mini-series, "True Doctrine: A Pentecost Message"!
©️Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 ...Freely you have received, freely give....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 17 Feb 2018, 11:26 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

February 17, 2018

Mountain Range of Troubles
By Answers2Prayer 
  Isn't it interesting how troubles always seem to come in bunches? It isn't a "mountain" of trouble, it's a "mountain range"!

As I come off a current "mountain range" of problems, I have to wonder: Wouldn't each of these trials have been easier to take one at a time? Take my dog being sick, for example, and me having to clean up multiple spots from the carpet. Wouldn't that have been easier to deal with if I had arrived home from work on time? And the cleaning up would certainly not have been so painful if I hadn't just sprained my wrist. And wouldn't the wrist sprain have been easier if it weren't for the fact that we were on "high alert" to drop everything and fly to Europe? If it weren't for the fact that my mother-in-law didn't not have much longer to live? And wouldn't that have been easier to work through if we hadn't had sick staff at work, making the work load of the rest of us double and requiring that we all work several hours of overtime? And wouldn't the extra time at work have been easier to manage if I hadn't also been sick with the same bug? And since all the above took away my time to do things at home in the evenings, wouldn't it have all been easier if I hadn't had to deal with another family emergency on the weekend, thus taking away any "catch-up" time I had?

Back in 2012, when I was going through some serious health concerns, I remember asking God why it all had to come in bunches. I mean, wouldn't the torn rotator cuff have been so much easier to deal with if it hadn't been for the accompanying frozen shoulder? And wouldn't the shoulder issues have seemed less daunting if I hadn't just broken two ribs and injured my calf in two separate accidents? And God, wouldn't it all have been easier to manage if it hadn't been for that cancer diagnosis? 

I could give many more examples, but I think you get the picture. In fact, you could insert into this devotional multiple examples of your own "mountain range" of problems. For whatever reason, it never seems to be the case that we deal with just one problem at a time. In fact, I would say that 10 seems to be the norm! 

So how should we react?

The prophet Micah gives us some clues. Micah prophesied at a time when the Babylonian captivity of Judah was an imminent reality. Troubles were piling up for the people of Jerusalem and Judah, and the worst was yet to come: "Why do you now cry aloud--have you no king? Has your ruler perished, that pain seizes you like that of a woman in labor?" (Micah 4:9 NIV)

Any woman who has ever given birth knows exactly what pain the prophet is speaking of here. In fact, Micah, being a man, probably had less idea than we women do. Yes, the pains of labour are an excellent description of how this mountain range of problems feels at the moment!

What does Micah tell us to do?

"Writhe in agony, Daughter Zion, like a woman in labor..." (Micah 4:10a NIV)

Excellent advice, Micah. You obviously have never been there. Labor is said to be the worst pain known to mankind...

But Micah is heartless: "...for now you must leave the city to camp in the open field. You will go to Babylon..." (Micah 4:10b NIV)

In other words, we need to face that labor pain, because we WILL go through illness. Our troubles WILL pile up against us. The loss of our loved one WILL be coupled with sprained wrists, sick dogs, illness and other family problems. That cancer diagnosis WILL come at a time when troubles are already abounding. We WILL lose that house in the middle of winter. That relationship WILL fall apart in the face of all those financial concerns: "...for now you MUST leave the city to camp in the open field. You will go to Babylon..." 

Some comfort, Micah! 

So where is the advice I promised? 

It was there in the opening line of vs. 10. Did you catch it? 

"Writhe in agony, Daughter Zion, like a woman in labor..."

Let's not forget that labor pain does not last forever. It can sometimes last hours, even days, but in the end, all the pain results in the birth of a beautiful baby. This is the advice that Micah gives us when we are going through that mountain range of trouble: Face them like you would face labor pains. Charge in courageously, ever knowing that it will be temporary; and once on the other side, it will be worth it.

Not convinced? I'm not sure Judah would have been, either, except for the last line of vs. 10: "...there you will be rescued. There the Lord will redeem you out of the hand of your enemies." (Micah 4:10c NIV)

Whatever mountain range of problems assaults you today, face it like you would labor, ever knowing that God will get you through, and in the end, rescue and redemption!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Did you ever try to do something out of good intentions, only to have it go sour? Join us next week for "Moralistic Missions Gone Astray", a Mini-Series by Suresh Manoharan for some Biblical examples of the same, as well as some valuable lessons we can learn from their experiences!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 13 Feb 2018, 9:29 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

February 13, 2018

Maman, Adieu!
Part 4: Carrying us Through the Hard Times...

By Answers2Prayer 
  When you are grieving the inevitable loss of someone you care about, it is sometimes hard to see anything other than the pain of grief. Nonetheless, God is there, and no matter how much it hurts, He sends little "gifts" along the way to help ease that pain. This was the all-important final lesson God had for me through the loss of Maman, my precious mother-in-law. I don't know how many beautiful little "gifts" He sent before I started watching for them, but once we were aboard the aircraft for our transatlantic flight, He finally got my attention...

Although we had booked our flight through Air Canada, and although we held Air Canada tickets in our hands, we were actually aboard a Brussels Air aircraft. What a blessing of God this would turn out to be... 

First of all, this particular aircraft had a bit more leg room than most, and for an overseas flight, this is a very good thing. Secondly, we were quite naturally sad; but when the safety demonstration was done with a twist of quirky Belgian humor, it lifted our spirits. 

We were only about 45 minutes into our flight when the next blessing came about. The attendants came around with supper trays: "Would you like chicken or fish?" With both of us choosing a vegetarian lifestyle, and with me being intolerant to gluten and dairy, we definitely have to order our meals in advance. In our haste to book our flights, we hadn't even considered that we would be served supper, and I simply shook my head and assured the flight attendant we had some sandwiches. She looked a bit concerned when she left, and it wasn't long before another flight attendant stood beside us with a tray: "You need a vegetarian meal?" As he handed me the tray, I instantly noted it was both gluten--and dairy--free. Wait. How did he know? "You wouldn't happen to have another one, would you?" I asked, indicating my husband's empty tray table. Moments later, he came back, this time with a lovely pasta dish. Now this man also had no way of knowing our individual dietary needs. How was it that there just "happened" to be two "extra" vegetarian dishes, one that was perfect for each of us? 

Perhaps the biggest airline blessing, however, was that our flight was almost empty. This meant that there were many entire rows of empty seats, and as this was an overnight flight, we were each able to have our own "row" to lay down. 

It was in all, a flight full of blessings, and all because God knew Air Canada would put us aboard a Brussels Air aircraft.

Once in Brussels, God had yet another blessing for us. The small car we had reserved had been upgraded to a larger one, one that was actually big enough not only for our luggage, but also for our son, who would be arriving in a few days, and his luggage. 

The weather was another blessing. Though it was February, the temperatures averaged about 10 degrees C (50 F.). The grass was green, and the trees were ready to burst into bloom. The bulbs were all coming up, and a few of the earliest spring flowers had already begun to blossom. In all, God was painting us a beautiful picture, one that would help distract us from the sad moments ahead. 

Our rented room was another gift of God. For only 23 euros per person per night, we had an entire house, complete with washing machine. Our hosts were also wonderful. On our final day, they took us into their home, served us refreshments, and we talked for over an hour.

The list of blessings could go on and on, but perhaps the greatest blessing was that Maman knew we were there and knew who we were. This helped us so much when her status took a turn for the worst the following day. We felt so blessed to have had that one good day and then to have been able to hold her hand and as she went forever to the kingdom of God... 

Death. It was never in God's original, perfect plan; yet because of sin, it is such a part of life. When a loved one dies, it hurts so much; yet God WILL walk with us every step of the way, for He knows how much it hurts to lose a loved one to death. He WILL hold our hand, He WILL hold us up, and as we make the long and painful walk through the valley of grief, He will send us His mercies and blessings every step of the way. 

Our job? We are to simply notice His mercies and give Him the praise. 

I hope none of you are facing the death of a loved one, but life dictates that likely many of you are doing just that. Remember to watch for God's blessings and allow Him to get you through, for: "This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him." (Ps. 91:2 NLT)

Maman loved God very much, and we have no doubts that she is now with Jesus. She would have wanted nothing more than for the circumstances surrounding her death to be a blessing to other people, and it is for this reason that I have penned this short series. If you are grieving the loss of a loved one, please email me. If you have missed any of the former lessons in the "Maman, Adieu" mini-series, you can access them by clicking here. Otherwise, email me and I will send them to you. God bless each of you as you go through the difficult valleys that are on your path today. 

In His love,
Lyn 

Announcement:
Hounded by problems? Have troubles become your "norm?" Do you find it hard to hold on to faith in the midst of dire need? God know! Check out Victory in Trouble, a 4-part mini-series by Lyn Chaffart, designed to help you be victorious through your troubled times.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next