World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:41 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:34 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:27 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:04 pm by Admin

» Tjurkey suspend dealing with Israel
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:03 pm by Admin

» CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:01 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Admin

» Jewish Memorial London silenced
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 7:59 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 7:51 pm by Admin

» israelAM
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 5:39 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 5:21 pm by Admin

» AISH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:28 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:21 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:09 pm by Admin

»  MONSANTO Glyphosate: SOS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:07 pm by Admin

» Israel Reserve Soldiers killed
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyWed 01 May 2024, 10:18 pm by Admin

» Open letter Jewish COLLEGE STUDENTS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyWed 01 May 2024, 9:42 pm by Admin

» Historic Milestone Saudi Arabia-Israel stability
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyWed 01 May 2024, 9:08 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyWed 01 May 2024, 5:36 pm by Admin

» PRO TRUTH of Israel what Pro PA want
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 EmptyWed 01 May 2024, 4:59 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 Empty Re: A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Post  Admin Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm

A NORVELL NOTE by Tom Norvell
- http://www.anorvellnote.com

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 13 March 26, 2012
I Am Willing

While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." [13] Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" And immediately the leprosy left him. (Luke 5:12-13, NIV)Have you ever made a request of the Lord similar to that of the man with leprosy? Maybe it did not involve being made clean, but instead you asked for relief from a different kind of suffering. "Lord, if you are willing You can heal my addiction…

You can find me a job...

You can help me forgive my brother…

You can help me forgive myself…

You heal my marriage…

You can help me stop worrying…

You can bring my child home…

You can help me feel loved."

The man's request is a desperate request. It is the request of a man who had wanted to be clean as long as he can remember, maybe longer than he can remember.

You can understand that kind of desperation can't you. You have been there. You are there. You want to see God work in your life. You long to see God's power in the life of your spouse, in the life of your son or your daughter. So, with a desperate inkling of hope you make your request: "Lord, if You are willing You can…"

With the words barely out of your mouth you hear His response. "I am willing."

"What did You say? You are willing. Are You really?"

He repeats His answer, "I am willing."

It happens. It is done. Perhaps the cure does not come as quickly as with the man with leprosy, but it comes. Your marriage begins to improve. Your relationship with your children improves. Your prodigal calls and wants to come home. You begin to realize you are loved by God and by God’s people. Your unforgiving spirit begins to soften. You begin to understand that God is more merciful toward you than you dreamed possible and maybe you can bad forgiven and restored.

As you think about it you know it is God because these things could not happen any other way. There was no other hope than your hope in God. Everything else had been tried and failed. God did it.

That is the kind of God He is. He is a God who says, "I am willing."

Will you listen to Him say, “I am willing?” He wants to help. He wants to heal. He wants restore. He is willing. Will you let Him help?

Tom
A Norvell Note © Copyright 2012. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 12 Empty Re: A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Post  Admin Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:20 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 12 March 19, 2012
What Would Happen If…

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:25-34, NIV)
What would happen if…? We ask this question, or a variation of it, a lot. We spend a considerable amount of time pondering the consequences of what may or may not happen. Or, to use Jesus’ word, “Worry” about what may or may not happen.

What is going to happen to us if gas prices go to $4.00 a gallon? Or, even $5.00? What are we going to do if we can pay for a tank of gas?

What would happen to us if I were to lose my job? What would we do if had no savings? What would happen if one of us were to get really sick?

What will we do if she does not get into the college she wants? What will he do if he does not make the team? What are we going to do if he loses the scholarship?

What would happen to the church if this happened or if that happened? What would happen if this family leaves, or if that family disagreed with the decision?

What will happen if the tests show there is a problem? What are we going to do if they cannot do surgery? What will happen if they do the surgery and it does not correct the problem?

And my personal favorite: what are we going to do about global warming?

What will happen if asked this question in light of Jesus’ words and James’ instructions? What will happen if we trusted God to take care of gas prices? What will happen if we trust God to walk with us when we go through health problems, and financial difficulties? What would happen if we trusted God guide us through disappointments in relationships, in life plans, and in circumstances way beyond our control? What would happen?

Look at again at what Jesus said would happen if we trust Him and put His Kingdom concerns first: “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
Please understand this writer is not immune to these what would happen if…questions. The Enemy likes to distract all of us with these kinds of concerns. Jesus promises He is going to be with us. He promises He will not leave us alone. He has not left us alone.

So, here is something to try this week. Somewhere in the process of going about your business of starting your day let this question be in your thoughts: What will happen if let the Lord lead me today, and trust Him to take care of me and whatever happens to me? If you do that, I would love to hear what you learn. Enjoy your trusting walk with the Lord.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 12 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 11 March 12, 2012
I Can't Handle This Holiness

You are a fisherman. By all indication you are an ordinary fisherman. Nothing special. You are good enough to be in a partnership with other fisherman. You make a good living, but nothing to brag about. Even for a fisherman. One day, after fishing all night, a stranger asked if he might borrow your boat to do some teaching. You are not sure exactly what is happening but you agree.

You push your boat out from the shore and listen as the Master teaches the crowd. You listen to Him and notice that He is a different kind of teacher. When the lesson ends he asks you to set aside your fatigue and your professional competence by putting out your nets in the deeper water. Everything this about you says it is a waste of time. But, again, there is something about this teacher that compels you do what He says. You drop your nets and they become so full that you have to call for your partners to help.

It is then that you realize this is no ordinary teacher. He knows what He is teaching…something about the Kingdom…but He also knows fish and fishing and…you.

To get the full story ready how Eugene Peterson tells the rest of the story.

1-3 Once when he was standing on the shore of Lake Gennesaret, the crowd was pushing in on him to better hear the Word of God. He noticed two boats tied up. The fishermen had just left them and were out scrubbing their nets. He climbed into the boat that was Simon's and asked him to put out a little from the shore. Sitting there, using the boat for a pulpit, he taught the crowd.
4 When he finished teaching, he said to Simon, "Push out into deep water and let your nets out for a catch."
5-7 Simon said, "Master, we've been fishing hard all night and haven't caught even a minnow. But if you say so, I'll let out the nets." It was no sooner said than done—a huge haul of fish, straining the nets past capacity. They waved to their partners in the other boat to come help them. They filled both boats, nearly swamping them with the catch.
8-10 Simon Peter, when he saw it, fell to his knees before Jesus. "Master, leave. I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness. Leave me to myself." When they pulled in that catch of fish, awe overwhelmed Simon and everyone with him. It was the same with James and John, Zebedee's sons, coworkers with Simon.
10-11 Jesus said to Simon, "There is nothing to fear. From now on you'll be fishing for men and women." They pulled their boats up on the beach, left them, nets and all, and followed him. (Luke 5:1-11, The Message)
When Peter realizes he is in the presence of real holiness he makes this confession: "Master, leave. I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness.” This won’t be the last time Peter will try to tell Jesus what to do. It won’t be the last time Jesus does what Jesus does. He invites Peter and his partners to follow Him. They do.

Three thoughts emerge from Peter’s confession.

First, this should be our reaction any time we are in God's presence. We are sinners. When we realize we are in God’s presence our sinfulness is magnified. His holiness is also magnified. Others have found themselves in similar circumstances and responded in similar fashion. (Isaiah 6; Job 38-42). When we realize we are in the presence of God the natural only reasonable response is confession. No reason to hide them; He knows them already. No reason to try to cover them; He sees through our cover.

Second, we are always in God's presence. It does not have to be in a boat during a Bible class. It does not only occur when in an assembly with singing and preaching and communion. It may be in the work place. It was for Peter. It may be in a crowd. It was for Peter. It may be in the comfort of your own surrounds. It was for Peter. We are always in the presence of holiness. He is always with us.

Third, if we are living like Jesus someone sometime may sense something different and react like Peter. That something different will be holiness. When an old friend realizes we have changed, we may be asked to leave. That holiness should be our goal. Not because of religious obnoxiousness, because of our haughtiness or arrogance, but because of our holiness. Because our similarity to Jesus.

This week, be aware of God’s constant presence in your life. Acknowledge your sinfulness, and strive to live a life of holiness.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:40 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 10 March 5, 2012
Just Be You

Having just celebrated another birthday I am reminded of how easy it is to have a birthday. All that is necessary is to live long enough to celebrate your next birthday. With Twitter, Facebook, Google+, email, texting, telephones, regular mail, and all the other forms of communication and networking tools you will likely be inundated with Happy Birthday wishes. Just be you.

Even in the beginning all you had to do is just be you. You were just born. Your birthday is a day of celebration that you really had nothing to do with. You did not choose that day. Although we sometimes say, “That baby will come when he or she is ready,” I am not sure how much any of us really had to do with that event. We were just being us.

It is the same with the Body of Christ. We all have a place. We all have a role. We all have something to contribute. But what that is seems to be beyond us.

This is how Paul states it:

12 The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
14 Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. (Emphasis mine) 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body. (1 Corinthians 12, NIV84)
Let’s read that one line again: “…God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.” It is not up to you. It is not up to me. It is God’s arrangement. He knows what the Body needs. He uses hands, feet, eyes, ears, and elbows to enable the Body function in a healthy manner.

What is our part? Just be you. Just be who you were created to be. Just be who God designed you be. Just live like God intended you to live. That is all you need to do. God has gifted you. God has placed you where He wants you. Relax with that. Enjoy that. Be content with that. Just be you.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 27 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 09 February 27, 2012
Where Were You?

Sometimes when life is not going my way, or the way I think my life should be going, I offer God my assistance. He has not asked for it, but I offer my help just the same. Maybe a few simple examples will help you understand what I mean.

When I have difficulty getting some of the people around me to behave the way I think they should behave, I sometimes ask God to straighten them out, to make them get their act together, and cause them to behave in a way that is more in line with my thinking.

When circumstances in my life are such that, according to my way of thinking, are not what I deserve, or how I would prefer them to be, I sometimes inform God—the Creator of the Universe—that He has somehow miscalculated and would do well to make the appropriate adjustments.

When I find myself in what I consider to be a less than ideal situation, feeling restless and discontent and I begin to think that if I could do life my way (I Old Blue Eyes singing in the background) it would be much better. So, with all humility and respect, I present my plan to God.

It is in times such as these that God takes me back to Job’s story. He had suffered great loss, he has grieved, and he has listened to his friends explain the ways of God to him. Job was a really good man and maintains his innocence. If anyone had a “right” to demand an audience from God, Job would probably be one of those people. In the latter part of the story (chapters 29-31) Job recounts his life as it once was and compares it to the way life is, then, he calls God out. Job wants God to show Himself and answer his questions.

(“Oh, that I had someone to hear me! 

I sign now my defense—let the Almighty answer me; let my accuser put his indictment in writing. 

Surely I would wear it on my shoulder, 

I would put it on like a crown.
I would give him an account of my every step; like a prince I would approach him.)—“if my land cries out against me and all its furrows are wet with tears, if I have devoured its yield without payment or broken the spirit of its tenants, then let briers come up instead of wheat and weeds instead of barley.”
The words of Job are ended. (Job 31:35-40, NIV84)
I love that last line, “The words of Job are ended.” (That was probably a good place to stop.) His friends, however, continue to talk. Eventually Job gets a response in chapter 38, 39, 40, and 41. God asks…

“Who is that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me.” “Where were you when I…?” (38:2-4)

God proceeds with the questions: “Where were you when…?” “Can you…?” Who…?” “Have you ever…?” “Do you…?” “Will you…?”

Finally, with what appears a safe place to respond, Job says,

Then Job answered the LORD:
“I am unworthy—how can I reply to you? 

I put my hand over my mouth. 

I spoke once, but I have no answer— 

twice, but I will say no more.”
God is not finished. The questions continue until chapter 42.

1 Then Job replied to the LORD:
2 “I know that you can do all things; 

no plan of yours can be thwarted. 

3 You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?’ 

Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.
4 “You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak; 

I will question you, 

and you shall answer me.’ 

5 My ears had heard of you 

but now my eyes have seen you. 

6 Therefore I despise myself 

and repent in dust and ashes.”
Thomas Merton said it well: “What is the use of prayer if at the very moment of prayer, we have so little confidence in God that we are busy planning our own kind of answer to our prayer?” (Thoughts in Solitude. New York: Farrar, Strauss, Giroux: 24)

Jesus and Peter have a similar discussion Matthew 16:21-24.

21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”
23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
You may be cruising along with the wind at your back. Or, you may be struggling to stand against the wind. Regardless, let God to lead the way. He is in charge. Acknowledge Him and trust Him. Rest in Him. Let Him give you the plan. Before you suggest a “better” plan, ask yourself: “Where were you?” Then, let it be said that your words were ended.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:59 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 08 February 20, 2012
Father, Your Servant Is Listening

The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!”

Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” (1 Samuel 3:10, NIV 84)

It is late. Actually it is early in the day, but it is late on my schedule to get everything done that I feel I need to accomplish in the next eighteen hours. It is a big day. I have much to do and “miles to go before I sleep” (Robert Frost). A quick glance at my Reminders for the day reveals two things: First, it is a long list. Second, I forgot a few things that I need to add.

Computer running. Coffee brewed. I am ready to attack the day.

“What’s that? I’ve forgotten something? No way. Surely there is nothing else I need to add to my list. There is no room. There is no time. There is no energy for anything else!”

The voice says, “Slow down, Tom.”
“What do you mean? ‘Slow down?’ I can’t slow down! I have too much to do!”
So, off I go. Doing my thing. Managing my day. Serving the Lord. Taking care of business.

It is half way through the morning and only one item has been checked off my Reminders list, I hear the voice again.

“Slow down, Tom.”
“What? Where did that come from? Who is that? Has someone pulled a trick on me? Is that a new App on my iPhone?”
I hear it again. “Slow down, Tom.”
I brush the notion off and move on with my day.

After lunch I rush back to the office, pull up my Reminders list certain that I can now check off most of the items.

“How did I get so off track? Did I really spend ninety minutes trying to figure out a new feature on that software program? Wow! Where has the day gone? I better get busy!”

The day goes on. Heavy traffic slowed the trip across town, so in my mind I revisited my Reminders list. “My goodness, I feel like I have been busy all day and yet I have been able to check-off only a few of the things on my list.”

In the quiet car ride I heard the voice again.

“Slow down, Tom.”
“Oh, no! Now, it’s coming through my car radio. My radio is not turned on. Is it my GPS? Where is that coming from? Who is that?”
After dinner there were things to do around the house. Routine stuff. Oh sure, these things could have waited, but for some reason I felt like I had to do them right then. So, I did.

As I turned out the lights and lay down on my bed, I opened my Reminders list on my phone one last time only to be reminded of all the things I had not done. Oh, I had done a lot, but I could have done more. As I placed my phone on the nightstand I heard the voice again.

“Slow down, Tom.”
In that quiet moment in the darkness I finally realized who it was.

“Lord, is that You?”

“Yes. I’ve been trying to get your attention all day. I just wanted us to spend some time together. I had something very important to tell you. You were so busy. I could have helped you. If you had stopped long enough to listen to me, I could have helped you accomplish all the things on your list that you needed to accomplish. If you had slowed down and visited with me I could have kept some of the distractions away. Together we could have done some amazing things today. We could have done a few things that would have made a real difference in your life, in your families’ life, and even in the lives of some of the people you passed by during the day without even noticing.”
I lay there speechless.

Sad. Disappointed. Convicted. I said, “I’m sorry. Speak, Father, Your servant is listening.”

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:47 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 07 February 13, 2012
An Opportunity To Say I Love You

Perhaps more than any other time in the year the words "I love you" will be uttered and the message will be expressed this week. Cards will be purchased and handcrafted, flowers will be delivered, and special dinner arrangements will be made. Husbands will make sure they get home from work on time. Schedules will be rearranged. Chocolate will be devoured. Telephones will ring, emails will be composed, and text messages will be sent.

"I love you."

"I miss you."

"Will you be my Valentine?"

“Thank you for being my Valentine.”

It is Valentine's Week. (You can thank me later if you had forgotten.)

This is the week that contains the day when creative expressive people can go overboard and uncreative unexpressive people can surprise themselves and those they love, and nobody cares. If you are not in the habit of expressing your love to that special person in your life (those special people) this is the perfect week to change your habit and tell them how much they mean to you. This is a perfect opportunity so say I love you.

Come to think of it, for the follower of Jesus, everyday is a good time to say I love you.

Shortly before He went to the cross Jesus washed His disciple's feet to show them the “Full extent of his love” (John 13:1,NIV). Then, a short time later in the same setting He told them that their love for one another would be the mark that would identify them as His disciples (John 13:34-35). His entire life was a living breathing demonstration of His love for us, and an example for us to follow.

Since this is the week of love, why not give it a try. It is a perfect opportunity to express your love for the people you love. (We received a Valentine from our three-month old granddaughter. If she can do it, you can too.)

Start with the easy folks: you family. Can you imagine life without them? No? Then, tell them. Be creative. Be intentional. Go overboard. It does not have to be expensive. Just be honest. Tell them how you really feel about them. (Assuming you have good feelings for them.) Be mushy if you want to.

Next, even if it shocks them tell your extended family (brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, and cousins) how much it means for you to share your family heritage. Be specific about why it means so much to you.

Then, go to your spiritual family. Tell your brothers and sisters in the Lord how blessed you feel to be co-laborers with them in God's kingdom. Give them examples of ways they have encouraged you, and try to think of ways to encourage them. Then, encourage them.

Finally, love a stranger. Pick a person you do not know, or you know only casually, and take the relationship deeper. Get to know them. Find out what is happening in in their world. Ask them if you can pray for them, and ask for specific prayer needs they may have. Pray for them. Follow-up with them. Check on them. Ask if there is any physical need you can help meet. Do not wait until they have to ask you. That may never happen.

When you finish reading this article you are going to have an opportunity to say, “I love you” to someone. The opportunity may come before you finish. The opportunity will have nothing to do with this article, but having read it may help you recognize the opportunity as an opportunity and not just a strange coincidence. God does things like that. If you make a commitment to be more like Jesus, to love more like Jesus would love them, to treat people more like Jesus would treat them, or to just be a better person, God will provide you with an opportunity to fulfill that commitment. Be ready. Make up your mind that when the opportunity presents itself you will take advantage of it.

This week will be a great opportunity for you to tell someone you love him or her. Next week will be too. Look for the opportunity. If necessary, use words. Let me help. Here is your script: “I love you.”

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 06 February 6, 2012
What Good Will It Be?

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” (Matthew 16:24-28, NIV 1984)

Tucked into the middle of this passage Jesus asks a very sobering question, “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?”

It would be easy to quote that verse to the superstars of our world. The Super Bowl Champions. The Oscar winners. The Rock Stars. The Wall Street magnets. The political back slappers in Washington. Those are the people that we ordinary folk like to point at with a condemning finger reminding them that their souls are in danger. They are the people He had in mind when He said “For a man.” Those are the people to whom we humble servants want to think Jesus was directing His question. Surely He was talking to “them.” He was. They need to hear and heed His warning. He was also talking to you and to me. We need to hear it.

Though we would prefer to deflect the question and skirt the issue, we cannot. The question is for me, and the question is for you. What good will it be if you gain the whole world, yet forfeit your soul?

Chances are good that you will never have to choose between the Lord and accepting the MVP in a Super Bowl. Chances are just as good that you will never be in a quandary as to whether to acknowledge your Creator when you accept the Academy Award for best actress or supporting actress. But, there is a real possibility you will have to answer the question in other ways.

Your boss paints you a clear path to a promotion if you will “play your cards right.” You know what he means.

Your relationship with your husband has been less that ideal makes the flirtations from the guy at work even more appealing.

Just taking “a little peek” at one of those websites on your computer screen is not going to matter.

Extra hours, more time away from home, a total commitment to the company guarantees you the raise that you have convinced yourself you need to give your family the things they need.

Missing the gathering with your spiritual family again this week is not going to matter. Besides you need the extra sleep.

What good will it be? Think seriously about that question. Think about it before you get to the edge of cliff. Think seriously before you find yourself in the hotel room. Think seriously before you the dabbling turns into an addiction.

[To hear what Tony Dungy has to say about this go to I Am Second.]

Is it worth losing your soul? The correct answer is no!

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 05 January 30, 2012
Life’s Speed Bumps

Although I understand their purpose, I am not a fan of speed bumps. I understand and appreciate their purpose. A speed bump is to slow traffic or reduce through traffic. You typically find speed bumps on streets or in shopping center parking lots. They work. Hit a speed bump moving a too high rate of speed and you get bumped. I understand the purpose and appreciate the effectiveness of speed bumps, but I do not like them.

The reason I do not like speed bumps is because they slow me down when I don’t want to be slowed down. The street is a shortcut to where I am headed. If I cut through I will make better time. Until they installed speed bumps. The restaurant I am going to is at the far end of the shopping center. I am ready to eat lunch. Because of the speed bumps I must slow down. I am in a hurry. I do not want to slow down. Speed bumps get on my nerves.

Life is filled with speed bumps. Life’s speed bumps, like regular speed bumps, appear in places and at times that are inconvenient and particularly unappreciated.

You are moving through life unimpeded and with great ease. Dreams seem to become reality with more consistency than you ever dreamed possible. Then, you hit a speed bump. What was to be a routine trip to the doctor to get a prescription filled for what you assumed was a simple seasonal cough. You hit the bump when you heard the doctor say, “I am a little concerned about what I am hearing. I would like to run a few tests to rule out some things.”

You have worked hard your entire career to reach a point when you can retire and you and your wife can travel, visit the grandkids, and go places you have always dreamed about going. You are moving smoothly in that direction when the president of the company invites you to walk with him to his office. “The slumping economy has hurt us all. Our company, though surviving, is having to make some adjustments.” You walk slowly back toward your office in shock. The dreams get put on hold.

The church leader knows about speed bumps. You congregation is thriving. You are seeing real growth – numerical growth and spiritual maturity. Lives are being changed. Souls are being saved. Believers are being encouraged. The future looks bright. Then, you hit the bump. A key family decides to go to another church. Another key family learns they are being transferred to another city. You learn that another family has been having serious marital problems for years (unknown to anyone) and have filed for a divorce. One of the most spiritual men in the church, a great teacher and mentor, dies suddenly from a heart attack.

The person who has experienced loss knows about speed bumps. You have had some really difficult days…and nights. You wondered if you would ever feel like breathing again. Gradually life returned. You were feeling better. When asked, you would respond, “I’m doing better. I’d doing much better. I think I’m through the worst part.” Then, bam! It hits. A song, a smell, a movie, a place, or a passing thought jostles your whole being. “Wow! I didn’t see that coming.”

Your family has gone through some tough times, but you have worked through them with the help of good friends and your church family. You can feel the blessing of healing with each passing day. You thank God everyday for what He has done to save your family from destruction. Then, in the middle of the night, you get a call from the police.

Speed bumps. You find the in the streets and the parking lots, and you find them in your life. How do you handle them?

Like bumps in the road, you have choices. You can look for another route. Usually there is no other route. You can speed over the hoping that will soften the blow. It does not. So, what do you do with life’s speed bumps?

Consider how Paul approached his speed bump.

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10, NIV)
Recognize what is happening. Remember that the bump in your path is more than like the work of Satan and not the Father. Paul’s thorn was given to “torment” him. The same is true for that speed bump. Satan has put it there because he knows it irritates you, frightens you, discourages you, frustrates you, and has the potential of keeping you from your goal. Do not assume the worst about God. He is not out to get you. He wants to help you. He is on your side. The speed bump can help you slow down and check your options, adjust your direction, and realign your focus.

Rely on God’s power. Paul admits that he would have preferred to go a different route. He asked for a different plan. When he realized there was no option, he accepted and drew on God’s power when he was weak to sustain him. He even came to “delight is weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, and I difficulties.” When you hit one of life’s speed bumps rely on God’s power to carry you over it.

As you travel through your day, pay attention. When you come to a speed bump, do not be surprised. Take it slow and move on. When you are week, then you are strong.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:05 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 04 January 23, 2012
No Greater Love

My wife and I were recently in a setting with several long time friends. We felt love, we felt fortunate, and we felt the presence of God as we were in the presence of these friends. As we drove home from the event we talked of the blessing of being loved by so many for so long.

As we celebrate another wedding anniversary I wonder how many times we have expressed our love for one another through our thirty-six years. We have said it cards, we have said it with gifts, we have said it with physical presence, and we have said it with words.

Every time I communicate with one of my children I realize what it means to be love and to love. A text. An email. A conversation. A photograph. A visit. Each interaction is reminder of what it means to love and be loved.

When I think of one of my brothers, my sister, my parents, my grandparents, my cousins, my nephews and nieces, and my aunts and uncles, I am convinced all over again of what an amazing heritage of love has been bestowed upon me.

At the end of a sermon as I see a brother or sister moving toward the front of the assembly hall with tears in their eyes, then I see other brothers and sisters surround them, embrace them, and wrap their arms around as we pray for them, I am grateful for the fellowship of love with which I serve the Lord.

Whether I write in an article, preach it in a sermon, share it over coffee, discuss it in a class or a small group, I am convinced of the truth that our God is a God of love who has demonstrated His love for all people with the ultimate expression of love: He gave His life for us.

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. (1 John 3:16-20, NIV)

Jesus gave His life for us. He loves you. He loves me. Admit it. Accept it. Appreciate it. Share it.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 03 January 16, 2012
As One Who Serves

Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. (Luke 22:25-27, NIV)

We are privileged people. As you read these words you must know that you among the most privileged people on the earth. You can read. If you read these words with the assistance of some form of reading aid (glasses, contacts, optical surgery) you are among the most privileged people. You have some form of good medical care. If you read these words on a computer, iPad, or Smartphone, you are among the most privileged people. You are part of a very small percentage of the world’s population.

We are privileged people. If you have electricity in your home you are among privileged people. If you have running water in your home…hot and cold running, sanitary and fresh water…you are among privileged people. If you have a refrigerator in your home, if you have access to washing machine, or if you own or have access to an automobile you are among privileged people.

We are a privileged people. If you have had more than one meal to eat in the last twenty-four hours you are among the privileged people of the earth. If you have television in your home you are among the most privileged people. If you have relative easy access to a well-stocked grocery store you are among the privileged people of the earth.

We are a privileged people. If you have the freedom to go to work, earn a living, and feed your family, you are one of the privileged people. If you enjoy the freedom of attaining an education you are among the most privileged people on the earth. If you have never been restricted in how you worship, where you worship, and who you worship you are among the privileged people.

We are privileged people. What will we do with our privileged status? We can demand our rights. We can boast of our privileges. We can hoard our privileges. Or, we refuse to demand our rights. We can acknowledge that everything we have is a gift from God. We can share what we have been given.

We are among privileged people, but our Lord tells us that we are not to act like privileged people. We are to use our privileged status to be the servants. The most privileged of all came to earth and surrendered His privileged nature to live as one who serves.

We are privileged people. May we follow the example of our Lord and live as one who serves.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 02 January 9, 2012
If You Need Wisdom

“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind.” (James 1:5-6, New Living Translation)

Father, give me wisdom as I begin this new day. Help me to use my time, the time You have allotted me, wisely, not wastefully.

Father, give me wisdom as I write these words. Please put words into my mind and allow them to flow into thoughts that are good news to the poor, that announce pardon to the imprisoned, recovery of sight to the blind, words that set the burdened and battered free, and words that announce that “This is God’s year to act!” (Luke 4, The Message)

Father, give me wisdom so that when I speak I will say things that pure and clean and words that help and give life to those who listen.

Father, give me wisdom to lead my family in ways that help them walk closer to You. Give me wisdom to be the husband that honors my wife and allows her to be respectful of me. Give me wisdom to be the father that understands my children and helps to give them the confidence they need to fulfill the dreams You have placed in their hearts. Give me wisdom to love my daughter-in-law so she can have peace in her heart as a wife and a mother. Give me wisdom to love and protect my granddaughter so that she will grow strong and feel Your presence every day of her life. Give me wisdom to share the wisdom You give me with these special people so that they can be the people You want them to be.

Father, give me wisdom to counsel people who come to me for help. Give me the wisdom to know when to speak and when to be silent, when to be bold and when to be gentle, when to instruct and when to listen.

Father, give me the wisdom to know when to be angry, when to be sad, when to laugh, and when to cry. Give me the wisdom to know that forgiveness is always the right move. Give me the wisdom to always accept Your forgiveness and to realize I am worthless without it. Give me wisdom to depend on You as if my life depended on it, and the wisdom to realize that it does.

Father, give me wisdom lead others in their walk with You. Give me the wisdom to preach and teach in ways that illustrate Your great and amazing love for us, and the wisdom to help others understand the living sacrifice that is appropriate and brings You pleasure. Give me the wisdom to live the words that I proclaim.

Father, give me wisdom to realize that when I ask for wisdom with confidence You will give it. And that unless I receive wisdom that comes from You I have no words worth hearing, no life worth imitating, and no wisdom worth sharing.

Father, there is no “if” I need wisdom. I need wisdom. I need Your wisdom. Father, please give me wisdom.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 02 Jan 2012, 9:07 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 15 No. 01 January 1, 2012
A New Thing

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise. (Isaiah 43:18-21, NIV)

Good thoughts as we begin a new year. Good thoughts for anytime of the year. God has such wonderful things planned for your future that all the past ones will be forgotten. From the context it is obvious that the future restoration of Israel is the event to come, and the “former things” refers to the destruction of Sennacherib and the return from Babylon. The “past” likely means more ancient events like the deliverance from Egypt and at the Red Sea, and the entry into Canaan.

We would do well to apply these same thoughts of the goodness of God to our own circumstances as we make our way through another year.

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. Did anything happen to you last year that you would like to forget? Did you do or say anything last year that you wish you could forget? Are there things that lurk in the dark places of your mind that you wish you could forget? Are there scars from injuries suffered long ago that continue to haunt you? You may have been carrying hurt, shame, and pain for years. Burdens that weary your soul, drain your spirit, and diminish your hope. It is time to forget the former things and stop dwelling on the past. It may not be easy. It may not happen over night. You may need someone or some place where it is safe for you unload and sort through the rubble. Seek such a person. Find the safe place.

These words serve as a reminder that your life is not over. God has not forgotten you. God has not deserted you. One of the beauties of a year is that we have an opportunity to forget the former things and stop dwelling on the past. This is a perfect time to start over. There is no reason to carry the past with you for another day. Forget the former things. Stop dwelling on the past.

“See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” God is doing a new thing in your midst. God is doing a new thing in your heart. God is doing a new thing in your faith. God is doing a new thing in your marriage. God is doing a new thing in your family. God is doing a new thing in your workplace. It springs up out of the desert places and wastelands of your world. God is doing a new thing in your relationships. Do you see it? Will you recognize it?

As you begin this year, throughout the year, and throughout your life remember that God is doing a new thing. See what He is doing. Never stop looking for what He is doing. Keep your eyes open. Pay attention. Listen with your heart as well as see with your eyes. Hear what He is saying. See what He is doing.

God said, “See I am doing a new thing.” May you be blessed with peace and joy as you experience the new thing God is doing in your life.

Tom
A Norvell Note © Copyright 2011. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 26 Dec 2011, 8:32 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 52 December 26, 2011
Christmas Is Over. Maybe Not!

As I sit in the quiet of Christmas morning I can recall the empty feeling that filled my heart as a child after the anticipation of the coming of Christmas, finally getting to open the presents that filled the space under the tree, and looking at what had suddenly become a very sad looking dried up and tired old cedar tree. It would be another long year before that feeling of excitement would return. How can I possibly wait that long?

Christmas is over. Or, is it?

That empty feeling seldom exists anymore. Here are some reasons why.

First, the frustration of waiting has diminished. The years pass more quickly now. December 26 to December 24 seems like only a few days. Now is feels like that before we finish Christmas dinner we start hearing “Jingle Bell Rock” again. Maybe that is why some folks decide to leave their decorations up all year long. I once thought that was strange. It makes more sense these days. The anticipation for the new and the latest is lessened by the opportunities I have to acquire what I want and what I need almost immediately. Of course, there are times when waiting is still necessary. We wait until the finances are right (sometimes), we wait for the right season, or we are force to wait for things to arrive (the package, the baby, the test results). The waiting is often eliminated.

Second, the longing for things has lessened. Not so much because the desire is gone (I still love my shoes and gadgets), but more because I have been blessed with so much. Perhaps, like many of us, I have too much (except for shoes and gadgets). However, with God’s help I have learned that the joy and excitement I longed for after opening presents on Christmas morning as a child, had little to do with the new basketball, the BB gun, or the transistor radio. What I felt at that moment, I think, and what I could hardly bear the thought of waiting another 365 days to experience, was the closeness, the shared experience, and hope that we would always be together.

Third, the realization of God’s presence has deepened. On this Christmas day, presents are not the focus but His presence is. There is less emphasis on getting and more emphasis on what God has given. There is less talk about the cost of the individual gift and more talk about the giver of all gifts. God is more important. Things are less important.

Christmas is over. Is it really? It does not have to be. As long as there are children and families and the spirit of giving and loving and sharing and singing about the Son of God coming to earth, Christmas is not over. As long as there is laughter and tears and the sweet sounds of a child, Christmas is not over. As long as we acknowledge that God is the creator of the world, Jesus is God’s Son, and the Spirit is alive and dwells within our hearts, Christmas is not over.

Christmas is over. Maybe not! Being with my family, holding my granddaughter, and being reminded that God chose to come to earth to be with us assures me that Christmas is not over.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:09 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 51 December 19, 2011
He Came To Be With Us

The sounds, tastes and aromas of the Christmas season invoke so many thoughts. If we are not very careful and intentional the hustle and bustle will drown out the calm and quiet. It is easy to lose focus and miss the real message of the season: He came to be with us.

Mathew, the tax man, wrote: All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”—which means, God with us. (2:22-23)

Dr. Luke expresses it like this:But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” (2:10-12)

John the Revelator said: The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (1:14)

He came to be with us. This is the real message of the season, is it not? We celebrate by decorating trees, houses, neighborhoods, and shopping centers, but the reason for the decorations is that He came to be with us. We exchange gifts with people we love and appreciate because we have a relationship with them. We sing Christmas songs as an offering of gratitude for God coming to earth to be with us.

He wants a relationship with us. From the beginning God has been offering us and pleading with us to allow Him to come into our world, into our hearts, and take up residence with us. Time after time we have thought that we could find a better deal. We have longed for and hoped for the perfect gift that will assure us that we have value, that we are important, and that we are loved. Year after year we look at the leftover wrapping paper and realized that the hole in our heart cannot be filled with the items lying under the tree. The relationship we long for was wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.

During the holidays we travel to be with the ones we love. Our loved ones travel long distances to be with us because they love us. God came down from above to be born of a virgin to be with us because He loves us. Immanuel – God with us.

He came to be with us. He came. His coming was miraculous. His coming was spectacular. His coming amazed his parents, the wise men, the shepherds, and all those who heard the good news. The good news did not end on that silent night. The good news continues today. He still comes. He still comes to be with us. He still wants a relationship with us. He still wants to be with YOU. He loves you and wants to be with you.

The one who Jesus loved went on to write: He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. (John 1:10-13)

The challenge for us this season, and every season, is this: Will we receive Him? Will we recognize Him? Will we share Him? Will we celebrate Him and the fact that He came to be with us? When we do, the gift greater than all gifts is ours: we can become children of God.

He came to be with us. He is with us. “Glory to God in highest heaven,
and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.” (Luke 2:14, NLT)

Merry Christmas. He came to be us.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 50 December 12, 2011
Christmas Is Coming!

Christmas is coming! Have you noticed?

Many of the radio programs are playing only Christmas music. Every store you go into has Christmas decorations, Christmas displays, Christmas items, Christmas gift reminders, Christmas stocking stuffers, Christmas gift-wrapping paper, and probably Christmas music playing over their sound system. The movie theaters are promoting their Christmas releases hoping they will become Christmas blockbusters. The coffee shop I am sitting in has a brightly decorated Christmas tree in a prominent place where it is visible from anywhere in the shop and easily seen from the street. Strings of greenery and lights hang from all windows.

The Internet is filled with reminders that Christmas is coming. Every day and many times during the day I (and I suspect you as well) receive emails advertising Christmas specials. We went through Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Black Friday-Cyber Monday Extended, and now we are in the full-blown quest for our attention and our dollars.

Our televisions are filled with Christmas specials. Sing-Off had a special. It seems as if The Hallmark Channel has a special every night. Most of the most popular network shows have had or will have their version of the spirit of Christmas story.

Almost every day we receive a Christmas card (or multiple cards) surrounded by a stack of circulars from businesses advertising their Christmas specials. (Thank you by the way if you have sent us a Christmas card. If you have not received one from us let me say now, "Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year!") I received an email this week highlighting Christmas pageants, Christmas programs, Christmas services, and special Christmas sermons that will be presented in the next two weeks.

What a wonderful time of the year! Like Elvis, I wonder, "Why can't everyday be like Christmas?" What if it were? What if everyday of the year we greeted people with a statement of good cheer and good wishes? What if every day of the year we refused to say good-by without including a statement of good wishes and a statement of hope for the coming days? What we went around singing a song that brings joy to the world? What if we went about our daily activities with a smile on our faces, joy in our hearts, and an attitude of peace on earth and good will to all mankind? What if every day we took time to listen to a child tell us of their dreams, and looked intently into their eyes so we would not miss their excitement and the joy in their little faces? What if we did that?

If we did that maybe there would be more love, more joy, peace, more patience, more kindness, more gentleness, more faithfulness, and more self-control. If we did that people would see, maybe for the first time in their life, the true spirit of Christmasthe true spirit of Christ in us. They would see, maybe for the first time, that God is with us.

Christmas is coming! Have you noticed? Have the people around you noticed?

For the record I have used the word Christmas thirty-one times (Thirty-two counting that one) in this article, that fact will make a lot of people happy. But, a far more important question is this: how many times have people seen Christ in me?

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:50 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 49 December 5, 2011
Tis The Season For Gentleness
Like it or not, ready or now, the holiday season is upon us. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day are no doubt the big three holidays of our culture. From Mid-October until we pass into a new year, we are thrust into holidays that emphasize gratitude, the birth of Jesus, and starting over. Not a bad combination of spiritual themes. If we allow ourselves these days can provide opportunities us to share our faith, express our hope, and offer valuable instruction on living the life of a follower of Jesus. Or, we can moan and groan, whimper and whine, and waste the blessings and miss the open doors.

This passage from Philippians 4, verse 5 offers wise cancel for handling the stresses and strains of the season: “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

These two short verses seem to fit: gentleness and God’s presence. His nearness reminds us of the gentleness with which He deals with us. His gentleness reminds us that He is near. When we focus on gentleness, we display His nearness to others. When others experience our gentleness they may be reminded of His presence. As we live with the knowledge of His nearness—that He could come soon—being gentle seems a natural byproduct. “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

With a gentle awareness of the Lord’s presence I offer these suggestions that may bring more joy to the world and more peace on the earth.

When you are standing in a long line at the check-out stand in the department store, running late, and in a hurry, remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When you are in a line of traffic that is not moving at all and the guy in the sporty little car zooms past you on the shoulder and then turns on his blinker hoping you will let him in. Remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When your children as for the thirteenth time in the last hour, “How many more days until Christmas?” Remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When your husband calls to say he is working overtime…again…to make a little extra money for Christmas, remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When your in-law call to tell you they have decided to come to your house for the entire week between Christmas and New Years, remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When you are stressed out because the item that is going to make the difference in this being an okay Christmas and a great Christmas is completely sold out, remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When you have shopped, faced the crowds, and fought traffic only to walk in the door and your husband says, “Honey, what’s for dinner?” remember to, “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When the older man in line in front of you decides to use the self-check-out for the first time ever, remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When people are rude, unkind, inconsiderate, irritating, annoying, disrespectful, obnoxious, and downright mean, remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When you have messed up and disappointed yourself by losing your patience and losing your cool, remember to “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

When you are tired of shopping, tired of wrapping presents, tired of fixing meals, tired of relatives, and really tired of people in general, remember to, “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

“Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 28 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 48 November 28, 2011
A Temporary Dwelling
You splurged when you made your mini-vacation accommodations in a very nice hotel. From the minute you enter the lobby you realize this is a first class place. Smiling faces greet you and welcome you. Well-groomed and well-trained employees assure you that meeting your every need and making sure your stay is as pleasant as possible it their first priority. Your room is immaculate. Every accessory has obviously been selected with a purpose and it serves that purpose. The towels are thick and absorbent. There are plenty of hangers in the closet next to the monogrammed robe. You have a beautiful view of the city from your window. You have selected a magnificent place to spend a few days and nights. When they slid the bill under the door you are reminded that this is a temporary dwelling.
You looked forward to this trip for many years. The whole family is gathering. It has been years since everyone has been able to be in the same place at the same time. There is laughter. There are stories from the past. Pictures are taken to preserve the moment. As you begin to talk about making plans for the next gathering you realize that this same group will likely never be together again. You are reminded that this is a temporary dwelling.
Your cabin is rustic and weathered. You intentionally selected a secluded place for this of retreat. It is quiet. The mountain-view is spectacular. With a mug of hot coffee in one hand and the book you have been looking forward to reading in the other you seat yourself in the chair on the balcony listening to the birds sing and the river flow. You take a deep breath as you feel all the cares and anxieties of your life gently shifting to a place far, far away. You take a deep breath and relax. The days pass too quickly and you realize that this is a temporary dwelling.

You are a long way from home. You know you are there for a purpose and while you are there you are determined to fulfill that purpose. You see it as your mission. The language is different. The food is different. The methods of transportation are different. The culture is different. Everything is different from what you are familiar. You feel more homesick that you have ever felt. You get an email from your family. The email reminds you that this is a temporary dwelling.
Your annual check-up seemed to come early this year. It seems like it has been only a few weeks since your last one. Has it really been a year? The conversation with your doctor includes phrases like: “You are not as young as you once were” and “you have no business climbing up on that ladder,” and “I think the stress of your job has taken a toll. It may be time to think about slowing down a bit.” As you walk toward the lab with a cup in your hand you are reminded this is a temporary dwelling.
You watch as your son and your daughter-in-law work together to get their brand new daughter (your granddaughter) dressed in her little outfit that seems to have an unbelievable amount of snaps. It does not seem so long ago that you are your wife were working together as you learned to care for your son. As you allow your imagination to run wild, you get way ahead of yourself as you daydream about what life will be like when this granddaughter has her own family. As you snap back into reality you are reminded that this is a temporary dwelling.
More times than I can count I have joined in as John Denver sang,
The days they pass so quickly now
Nights are seldom long
And time around me whispers when it’s cold
The changes somehow frighten me
Still I have to smile
It turns me on think of growing old.
(Poems, Prayers and Promises, 1971)
The Psalmist wrote, “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12, NIV 1984)
Chris Rice shares the same message: "Teach us to count our days. Teach us to make our days count." (Life Means So Much)
James wrote, “Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.'” (James 4:13-15, NIV 1984)
On a daily basis we are faced with the reality that we exist on this earth in a temporary dwelling. In the blink of an eye the world changes, days turn into years, and the blessings from God continue to flow. Life means so much. Treasure each moment. Live everyday to the fullest. What you do with this day is extremely important. Focus on the important things. Your relationship with God. Your family. Your legacy. Sharing your faith stories. You do not now how much time you have. Remember this is a temporary dwelling.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 47 November 21, 2011
Words of Thanksgiving

Praise the Lord.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; 

his love endures forever. 

Who can proclaim the mighty acts of the LORD 

or fully declare his praise? 

Blessed are they who maintain justice, 

who constantly do what is right. (Psalm 106:1-3, NIV 1984)

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;

his love endures forever.

Let the redeemed of the LORD say this—

those he redeemed from the hand of the foe,

those he gathered from the lands,

from east and west, from north and south. (Psalm 107:1-3, NIV 1984)

Know that the LORD is God. 

It is he who made us, and we are his; 

we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving 

and his courts with praise; 

give thanks to him and praise his name. 

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; 

his faithfulness continues through all generations. (Psalm 100:3-5, NIV 1984)

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. (Ephesians 5:3-5, NIV 1984)

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:5-7, NIV1984)

Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; (1 Thessalonians 5:17-19, NIV1984)

Father, thank You for making me and inviting me to have a relationship with You. Thank You for making it possible, through Jesus, to have that relationship.

Father, thank You for being who You are. Creator. Savior. King of kings and Lord of Lords. Ruler. Master. Maker. Redeemer. Friend.

Father, thank You for the earth which that displays Your glory and majesty and power. The colors of changing seasons reminds us that life follows death as day follows night.

Father, thank You for the reminders that when life becomes stale and uncertain Your mercies are new every morning and that Your love never ceases.

Father, thank You for the assurance that when life is uncertain and we are insecure we always have a home with You.

Father, when we become worn-out and weary You are our resting place when. Thank You.

Father, You are the living waters that refresh our spirits. Thank You.

Father, thank You for my wife, my son and my daughter-in-law and granddaughter, and my daughter.

Thank You, Father, for the community of believers with whom I serve as we encourage one another and seek to help others life like Jesus.

Father, thank You for my extended family that has never ceased to provide me with examples of faith and hope for the long journey through life.

Father, thank You for the friends who love me and share life’s greatest and most difficult events.

Father, thank you for life and the abundance that comes because I am Your child.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:43 pm

Sorry for the delay this week. Thanks to those who emailed me to ask about the article. In traveling, etc., something did not work correctly.

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 46 November 14, 2011
Amazing Things Are Happening Here
The sign outside the New York hospital reads: “Amazing Things Are Happening Here.” Truer words were never spoken. Amazing things were happening.

But, I am getting a little ahead of myself. For this first time grandfather the last nine months have brought many amazing things. It began with a question from our son and daughter-in-law: Are you ready to be grandparents? As the news spread to friends and family other questions followed.

QUESTION: Will you go New York when the baby is born?
ANSWER: Absolutely!
QUESTION: Do they know whether it is a boy or a girl?
ANSWER: They know it is a baby.

QUESTION: Do they have names?

ANSWER: They do but they are not telling.
QUESTION: What do you want to be called?
ANSWER: I really don’t care as long as I’m called. Maybe Papa.
QUESTION: Are you excited?
ANSWER: Are you kidding me? How can I not be excited? My son and his wife are having a baby. Yes, I am excited! Out of my head excited!

Then, something amazing happened.
You see, I spotted the sign as we stood outside the hospital waiting for a taxi to take us back to the apartment after having spent the day waiting for the arrival of our granddaughter. Amazing things were happening.

For nine months they were the mother-to-be and the dad-to-be. For nine months schedules were altered to accommodate the sickness and the discomfort. Plans were altered. More rest was needed. More care was taken. Normal activities were no longer normal. There were days of extreme excitement and there were days of intense anxiety about the future. Then, something amazing happened.
Nine months is a long time to wait and wonder, to anticipate and speculate, to wish and to pray, and answer questions. Is it a boy or a girl? Do you know? Do you want to know? How big is he or she? Which do you hope it is? How much weight have you gained? What is your due date? Have you picked out a name? What is the name? Who is your doctor? How are you feeling? Oh, don’t forget: What do you think about this, Daddy? Nine months of hoping for good health and a safe delivery. Then, something amazing happened.

As the due date came and passed more adjustments were made. More questions were asked. More waiting. A new date was set. The anxiety grew. The days got longer. The waiting continued. Then, something amazing happened.
The message was sent: “Heading to the hospital soon.” Flights were cancelled. New flights were booked. Amazing things happened.
After months of waiting it came down to hours of waiting and wondering and hoping praying. “Lord, please let us get there in time.” “Lord, please keep them safe.” “Lord, please take care of them.” Then, something amazing happened.

For several hours the mother labored as the daddy comforted and reassured. The pain grew more intense (so I’m told). Minutes turned into hours. Then, an amazing thing happened. Isabel Taylor was born. She made her appearance. She was safe. Mom was safe. Dad was thrilled. She was healthy. She is beautiful. She is perfect. She is amazing. Amazing things were happening.
When I saw my daughter-in-law’s face as she held her daughter and lovingly looked at her baby I saw no signs of frustration because of the months of carrying the baby. I saw no regret over the pain she had just gone through. I saw peace. I saw complete contentment. Something amazing happened here.
When I saw my son I saw joy in eyes, I heard the excitement in his voice, and I felt his delight that he had done exactly what he needed to do, and that he was exactly where God wanted him to be. I saw no fatigue. I saw sheer peace and contentment. Something amazing happened here.
When I held my granddaughter for the first time and looked at her through my tear-filled eyes I saw a miracle of God. I saw beauty. I saw perfection. I saw love. Something amazing happened here.
The Proverb reads, “Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.” (Proverbs 17:6, NIV)
The sign outside the New York hospital reads: “Amazing Things Are Happening Here.”
You have no idea!
God is amazing! Life is amazing! Being married is amazing! Being a parent is amazing! Being Papa to a beautiful granddaughter…well we are only beginning to learn just how amazing that is.
Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:32 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 45 November 7, 2011
A Broken and Contrite Heart

Have you ever prayed this prayer?

Psalm 51
For the director of music. A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.

1Have mercy on me, O God,

according to your unfailing love;

according to your great compassion

blot out my transgressions.

2Wash away all my iniquity

and cleanse me from my sin.

3For I know my transgressions,

and my sin is always before me.

4Against you, you only, have I sinned

and done what is evil in your sight,

so that you are proved right when you speak

and justified when you judge.

5Surely I was sinful at birth,

sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

6Surely you desire truth in the inner parts;

you teach me wisdom

in the inmost place.

7Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;

wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

8Let me hear joy and gladness;

let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

9Hide your face from my sins

and blot out all my iniquity.

10Create in me a pure heart, O God,

and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11Do not cast me from your presence

or take your Holy Spirit from me.

12Restore to me the joy of your salvation

and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

13Then I will teach transgressors your ways,

and sinners will turn back to you.

14Save me from bloodguilt, O God,

the God who saves me,

and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

15O Lord, open my lips,

and my mouth will declare your praise.

16You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;

you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;

a broken and contrite heart,

O God, you will not despise. [1]

Let me expand the question: How many times have you prayed this prayer? Or, perhaps, how many times have you prayed this prayer this week?

Sin and guilt creates distance between God and us. As the old says goes, “If God feels far away, who moved?” God does not and has not moved away from when we sin. But, we distance comes as a consequence of our guilt and shame.

When we realize that our sin has created a distance we are prone to rely on our natural human tendencies to fix the problem and eliminate the distance.

We make promises. “Lord, I will never do this again. Please forgive me.” “Father, I will work harder for You if You will forgive me.” “Lord, I will do anything You want me to do, will You please forgive me?”

So, we go to work. We beat ourselves up reminding us how foolish we are. Our self-talk changes. We remind ourselves how what an awful person we are. We second-guess ourselves. We feel ashamed. We constantly belittle ourselves. Our thinking seems to follow this line of thinking: “If I can keep apologizing, repenting, working harder to do better, and convincing myself how awful I am, then surely the Lord will realize how hard I am trying to be right and forgive me.”

Ever been there?

Read David’s words again.

16You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;

you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;

a broken and contrite heart,

O God, you will not despise.

“A broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart?” Really? That’s what God wants? That sounds simple. Why do we make it so difficult?

First, we make it more difficult because we are not sure that God can be trusted to forgive us. It is a control issue. It is a surrender issue. It is a trust issue.

Second, we make it more difficult because we think it is easier to fix things ourselves than to depend on God. Admitting our sin and really being honest with God about our sin, our foolish nature, and immature actions is more difficult, or less appealing than working harder to make things right. We can control (there’s that word again) our hard work. We are confident in our ability. To approach the throne of God completely open and humble (and perhaps the person we have sinned against) is more frightening, and perhaps too easy, and too difficult. It comes down to our dependence upon the living God to do what only He can do.

The New Testament writer, Paul, said it this way: “What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:24,15, NIV)

This week may be the perfect time for you to confess your sins, to humble yourself, to all your heart to be broken, and to make a fresh start. Today may be the opportune time to come clean with God and with your fellow man. Humble yourself. Trust the God who created you, loves you, and sent His only Son to die for you. He can handle your broken and contrite heart. In fact, that is what He is looking for.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 31 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 44 October 31, 2011
Starting To Quit

I recently read, 25 Things You Must Quit Doing by Scott Couchenour. The article reminded me of the words of Jesus, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34, NIV) And, “To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance.” (Matthew 25:29, New Living Translation) The article reminded me of Paul’s words in Philippians, and in particular this passage. “I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.” (Philippians 3:12-14, The Message)

The article reminded me of some things I need to quit doing, so, I am adding a few things to Couchenour’s list.

I am starting to quit wishing my life away. All the “What if…” and “If only…” and “I wish…” thoughts must go. Actually it is more than just the thoughts, it is when thoughts become journeys into fantasyland that waste time and energy. Today is all that I have. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. I am living today.

I am starting to quit allowing what other people do, say, or think; or what they do not do, say or think dictate what I do, say, or think. My words need to be God’s words. “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” (Ephesians 4:29, NIV) My attitude needs to be that of Christ. “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:” (Philippians 2:5, NIV) My actions need to be God’s actions. “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!” (Philippians 2:6-8, NIV)

I am starting to quit waiting on forgiveness. I know God forgives me. I know that once I ask another person to forgive me and done what I can to reconcile I have done all I can do. When someone does me wrong if I do not forgive and forgive quickly I only do more harm to myself, and harboring a grudge may create an opening for the Enemy to enter my heart. “Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, 
but deliver us from the evil one. (Matthew 6:11-13, NIV)

I am starting to quit moving in such a hurry. When I move too quickly I miss things, I miss people, and I forget what is important. When I slow down I can see God more clearly, I can love God more dearly, and I can follow God more nearly (Go ahead and sing if you want). “Be still, and know that I am God;” (Psalm 46:10, NIV)

I am starting to quit believing that I am stronger than I really am. I am weak. He is strong. “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (1 Corinthians 12:8-10, NIV)

What needs to go on your Starting To Quit list? It is probably either time to quit, about time to quit, or well past time for you doing something. Why wait?

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 24 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 43 October 24, 2011
Prepared To Go Out!

Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally.
Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age." Matthew 28:16-18 (MSG)
Jesus spoke those words and within weeks the instructions were being carried out. Lives were being changed. The world was being transformed. The Word was being spread. The Gospel was being shared. The story of Jesus was being told and retold and retold. Disciples were being made. Men and women were being baptized and trained in the new way of life. All indications are that when the disciples received the Lord’s words, they took them seriously and got busy.

Sometimes I am convicted by how differently I (perhaps we) sometimes respond to those same instructions.

First, we receive the instructions from the Lord. “Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”

Next, we talk about it. “What is He really saying?” “Does He really mean for us to go out from here…to leave where we are…does that mean we leave our home?” “Are we actually supposed to talk other people about Jesus, about what He has done for us, and about what He can do for them?” “Does He really want us to tell them how to live their lives?” “Does He have any idea how independent we are?” “Obviously, He has never been to my neighborhood or talked to the people in my workplace. I just don’t think they would respond very well to that approach.”

Then, we would need to discuss how we are going to carry out the instructions. “Should we focus on our neighborhood, or should we send some people across the oceans to tell those folks?” “Is it necessary for us to go or can we pay someone else to go for us? That would be okay, wouldn’t it?” “Should we literally talk to people, or can we print the story in a slick colorful brochure and distribute them in coffee shops, grocery stores, and laundry mats?” “What about the Internet? Isn’t there a way to do this with the Internet?” “Isn’t that what we pay the preachers for?” “Did the elders say it was okay for us to this? We should definitely talk to them before we do anything.”

Of course, we would want to pray about it, bathe it in pray, and ask other people to pray about it. We could have a special weekend of prayer. Get people to sign up to pray every hour for twenty-four hours straight. Then, on Sunday we should recognize all those who participated in the twenty-four hour prayer event, have a special prayer of thanksgiving for all those who spent an our praying, and maybe we should also have a special prayer about where we are going and what we are going to do when we get there.

Once we have talked about it and prayed about we probably should form a committee to come up with plans for a fundraiser and determine how we are going to pay for all this. “Should we take up a special contribution or would this come out of our regular budget?” “Can we afford to do this?” “We better have a congregational meeting as see if we are all in agreement about doing this.” “Are we sure this is how we ought to be spending the Lord’s money?”

Oh, wait, we are getting ahead of ourselves. Before we have the congregational meeting we should meet with all the deacons, especially the ones on the Missions Committee, to make sure they are on board. If they are in favor of it, then, we will have the congregational meeting.

Months have now passed since we first received the assignment “Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you.” No one has gone out. No one has shared the story. No one has heard the Gospel. No one has been baptized. No one has experienced the new life. No one has become a disciple.

But, we met, we talked, we prayed, we discussed, we debated, we argued, we saved money, we felt good about not rushing ahead of the Lord, and how well prepared we are to go out.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 42 October 17, 2011
Does Anybody Listen Anymore?

We live at a time when technology is so advanced that on a daily basis we can be amazed and intimidated. We have the ability to communicate with people we have not seen face to face in decades. We can talk with people on the other side of the world and in some of the most remote spots on earth. We can use the telephone, Smartphone, email, text, Skype, Face Time, conference calls, video calls, and any number of other forms of communication. I understand you can even put a stamp on a handwritten letter, send it through the postal service, and have it hand delivered to another person.

We communicate in one form or another almost constantly. We listen to music, we watch television, we play our CDs, iPods, and satellite radios while driving our automobiles. We can watch movies on television from the major networks and cable channels, or have them streamed in over the Internet. We can watch them on our iPhones, Smartphones, iPads, and all sorts of other devices. Some people even go to theaters to watch movies.

We can read electronically, we can listen to books over the airwaves while driving, walking, or sitting on the beach. I recently saw someone with an actual book in their hands turning pages.

We live in an amazing time. I am regularly amazed with communication technologies we have at our fingertips. However, what amazes me even more is how often, even with all these advancements I still end a conversation asking,

“Does anyone listen anymore?” There have been conversations with tech support people, sales reps, and medical professionals (assuming I have gotten past all the automated systems). I have tried to ask a question (usually a fairly simple question), get clarification about an issue, or make a purchase. Each time it seemed I was talking to myself. “Does anybody listen anymore?”

At the height of my frustration I had to ask myself: “Am I listening to people?” “Is that the way I communicate with people?” Those questions pretty much stopped me in my tracks of criticism of the tech person, the sales person the medical person, and all the others I felt had not given me an ear.

At the same time I started hearing the voice of Jesus from Mark 4:

21 He said to them, “Do you bring in a lamp to put it under a bowl or a bed? Instead, don’t you put it on its stand? 22 For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open. 23 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.” (Emphasis mine) 24 “Consider carefully what you hear,” he continued. “With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more. 25 Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.”

And the words from, “And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, ‘This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!’” (Luke 9:35)

Then, just as clearly I heard him ask, “Does anybody listen anymore?”

So my question changed from, “Does anybody listen anymore?” To, “Am I listening…to the tech person, to the sales person, to the medical person, and most important of is, am I listening to God? “Am I more about getting my point across than I am about hearing what God is saying? Am I more interested in telling people what I think than I am about hearing what God thinks?

We have more ways to communicate with one another than we can possibly ever use, but are we listening to one another? We have more opportunities to communicate each other than we could have ever imagined a few short years ago, but are we really communicating with one another? We have the Creator of the Universe who wants to share the wonders of His creation and the majesty of His presence in our lives, but are we listening?

Does anybody listen anymore?

Yes, Lord. I am listening.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:38 am

A Norvell Note
Vol. 14 No. 41 October 10, 2011
The Home Stretch

The home stretch is the last part of a long or difficult activity. The home stretch is that part of any trip when you realize you are almost home. Your travels are almost over, the project is almost completed, the treatment is almost done, the baby is almost here, and your degree is almost in hand. To be in the home stretch is a good feeling.

I do not know how is for you but when I am traveling and get in the home stretch it is hard to slow down. I want to put the pedal to the medal and move on down the road. I want to get home. I cannot get there fast enough.

Teachers may feel the home stretch when they get into the last few weeks of school. Football teams may feel the home stretch when they are in the fourth quarter with a big lead. The business professional may feel the home stretch when they have checked out of their hotel, finished their last meeting, and headed to the airport. The physician may not feel the home stretch until she has seen her last patient of the day. The bride and groom may not feel the home stretch until they are walking down the aisle to begin the ceremony. Wherever we feel it, the home stretch is a wonderful feeling.

These passages in the New Testament remind us what we have to look forward to as we enter the home stretch of our spiritual journey.

The prodigal son (Luke 15) surely felt the home stretch when he “came to his senses” and took the first step toward home. He felt it more fully when he looked up and saw his father running toward him with open arms.

There will come a time when we will be nearing the finish our race and as we do we will hear the cheers of the “great cloud of witnesses” gathered and waiting for us to join in the celebration. “These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.” (Hebrews 11:39-40, NIV)

We are all on a journey. At times our journey will be enjoyable and at times the journey will be difficult and filled with sadness. We will reach a point where the end is in sight. At some point we will be in the home stretch. With images similar to those above circling in our minds, we will be ready to get there as fast as possible. The difficulties of the journey will quickly fade as we see the open arms of our Father. The joys of the journey will fade in comparison to the celebration we will experience as we greeted by those who have been waiting for us.

In every journey there is a time when we realize we are in the home stretch. The miles we have traveled are unimportant. The cost of the journey is will not matter. Our only concern is making it home. Keep traveling. Keep looking toward home.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next