World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 10:47 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 10:26 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 10:14 pm by Admin

» Israel Bible
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 10:06 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 9:21 pm by Admin

» Trinity College Dublin loose cash
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 9:20 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 9:03 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 8:54 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyYesterday at 3:32 pm by Admin

» UN halve estmate women and children killed Gaza
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 10:54 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 9:33 pm by Admin

» Question for you to CONSIDER
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 9:19 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 9:15 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 8:59 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 6:36 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 6:09 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 5:59 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 5:56 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 5:25 pm by Admin

» Mother of Slain Hostage Is Spreading Love Amidst Grief
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 4:33 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 26 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 16, 2012
Why Does God Allow Suffering? Part 2 By Answers2Prayer
Why does God allow suffering? Will they follow?

In times of need many will call on the Lord to intervene. In the wake of the tragedy of 9/11 many turned to prayer and God to save and protect. The churches were full and the people were on their knees, but where are they now?

The Bible says that there is nothing new under the sun (See Eccl 1:9), as so it is. In the Old Testament the Childen of Israel did the same. During the time of the judges the people would fall away from the Lord and begin to follow other gods and to disregard the one true God. God, as judgment on the sins of the people, would allow them to be taken into captivity and treated harshly. Once they were overcome, they would cry out to God to save them and He would bring a new judge to rescue and lead them back to God.

Once that judge passed away, the people would again fall into the same sins and become trapped, cry out to the Lord for rescue and He would send another judge. This cycle repeated and repeated and repeated. They would not follow.

It seems foolish in retrospect that the people never seemed to learn from all of this, but it goes on the same today. When terror falls from the skies, when we closet ourselves behind closed doors, when we fear the mail and they people on the street, we cry out, "Oh Lord, please save us. God we need you." But the human mind cannot sustain absolute terror for very long; we are simply not equipped to handle the stress for very long. Once that initial panic subsides, God goes back on the shelf.

The Lord seeks those that will worship Him in spirit and in truth. We must love the Lord, our God with all of our hearts and minds and soul and strength and worship Him only. His standards are high but those who find Him, find treasure beyond measure. Not only help in times of trouble, but a friend who sticks closer than a brother, the giver of life and the spirit that leads us into all truth.

Yours in love and in Christ,
Sonya Richards

Announcement:
The world braces for upcoming US elections. Will the Americans elect? Or re-elect? But perhaps the most important question is this: Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Join us on Tuesdays until Election Day for "Of Elect and Select", a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 14 Oct 2012, 6:45 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 13, 2012
The Wrong Road By Answers2Prayer

My husband and I had just returned from an emergency trip to Europe to bury my father-in-law. We were exhausted, emotionally as well as physically, and all I could think about was seeing my young son, who we had left in the care of my mother.

Our dear friend, Luke (not his real name), had agreed to pick us up from the airport in the middle of the night to drive us home, and the sight of his friendly face was like that of water in a parched desert. We piled into the car, my husband in front with Luke, and me in the back seat, and we began the long drive home.

I didn't worry about the road. Luke was an experienced driver with lots of driving time in this particular city, and we were about forty-five minutes into the drive before I realized something was wrong. The highway signs weren't indicating the correct exits. And when I sat up to pay more attention, I realized that the towns along the way were all wrong.

It was dark, so the signs posted along the side of the highway were difficult to read, but after another five kilometers I saw the sign I was searching for: The sign bearing the name of the highway.

Initially the sight was a relief, for it did, indeed, indicate the name of the highway we were supposed to be taking. But then my eyes went to the direction: East! Our home lay west of the airport! We were on the right road, but we were going the wrong way!

Luke, horrified by his mistake, quickly exited the highway and got back on, this time going west, and in the end, we all had a good laugh about being on the right road, but going in the wrong direction.

It makes me think, though. There are many roads we can take in life, but only one leads us in the right direction. How can we know if we are on the right road? And if we are on the right road, as we were that night 18 years ago, are we taking it the right direction? Are we truly heading home, or are we going in the opposite direction?

Luke was convinced he was going the right way. He was completely sincere in his belief. But sincerity and conviction alone do not ensure we are on the right road!

On the west coast of the US, there is a highway that runs north to south, connecting the Canadian border with Mexico. Highway 5 is its name. I have driven Highway 5 on many occasions, and though I've never done so all at once, I've been over every inch of the road.

But what if I start out in San Francisco, California, with my destination the Canadian border, but I am completely and sincerely convicted that I need to head south on Highway 5? I can drive as far south as I wish, but I will not arrive in Canada! Why? Because Canada is north of San Francisco, and no matter how sincere and convicted I am that I am on the right road, as long as I'm headed south on Highway 5, I will NEVER end up in Canada!

Friends, it is heavy on my heart today that we each take a moment to verify that we are on the right road in life. It may be that you have dreamed of being a doctor all your life. But when it comes time to fill out that application for University, you need to make sure that is the right road for you. It may be that you have been in love with someone for more years than you can remember. But before agreeing to go out with that person, you need to make sure it is the right path for you. You may have been given an offer for a position you have dreamed of having. But before accepting it, you need to ensure this is the right road! If you don't, then you could very well end up driving south on Highway 5, wondering why you aren't getting any closer to Canada!

The same is true of religion. It doesn't matter that it is the religion of our ancestors. The fact that our friends go to that church is totally non-consequential. We can be as convicted and sincere as anyone, but if the religion we belong to doesn't teach full Biblical Truth, we are on the wrong road!

So how can we ensure we are on the right path?

Remember Jesus' words: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6 NKJV)

Jesus Christ is the Truth, friends! And we can go to Him! We need to take these things to God in prayer, asking that He lead us to all Truth: "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth ..." (John 16:13-14 NKJV)

We need to humble ourselves before God. We need to ask for His Spirit to guide us, to unblind our eyes, to unstop our ears, to line our spirits up with His. He will tell us! And once He does, then we, like Luke so many years ago, must humbly get ourselves off the wrong path and onto the right one!

I challenge each of you today to take the time to examine the things you've always taken as Truth, and check them out with God. Pray sincerely. He will put you on the right path! All you have to do is trust Him!

In His love,

Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.

Announcement:
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:14 am

Welcome to the Nugget October 11, 2012
Bumps in the Dark By Answers2Prayer
I watched as teenagers donned the glasses and attempted to walk. None were successful. They bumped into chairs, bruised shins and some almost fell. They couldn't walk because they were drunk-or at least felt they were.
We had enlisted a local law enforcement officer to fit our teens with "drunky goggles" to teach them the dangers of driving drunk. And it worked. Not a single one-even those who imagined themselves invincible and exceptions to the norm, passed the test.
The man Jesus healed probably encountered a few obstacles himself. "Go," he told him, "wash in the Pool of Siloam ..." So the man went and washed, and came home seeing (John 9:7).
Jesus' project was born blind. He had never seen the Pool of Siloam or anything else. Nor was he healed before he washed in it. With mud caked eyes, he stumbled and crashed until he finally plunged into healing. When he finished removing the mud, his obstacles weren't obstacles anymore.
Jesus doesn't promise our faith journey will be void of crashes, bumps, scrapes and stumbles. There may even be times when we can't see at all. But taking steps of faith anyway is essential. God promises to work all things together for our good and his purposes; he doesn't even waste the bumps. He'll never allow us to slip and fall permanently but will pick us up, secure our feet on a solid rock and mold us into something we weren't before. More importantly, what we thought were obstacles when we couldn't see now transform themselves into opportunities now that we can.
Trust God to lead you around obstacles you can't see and to heal the scrapes from those you've bumped into.
Prayer: Thank You merciful Lord for healing our hurts and empowering us to take the next step of faith.
Martin Wiles

Announcement:
Do you need to be prayed for, or do you know someone in need? Don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to pray for you and offer you encouragement.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 10 Oct 2012, 4:54 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 9, 2012
Why Does God Allow Suffering? Part 1 By Answers2Prayer
Why does God allow suffering to be unrelieved? Do they honor Him as Lord?

"Would you indeed annul My judgment? Would you condemn Me that you may be justified? Have you an arm like God? Or can you thunder with a voice like His? Then adorn yourself with majesty and splendor, And array yourself with glory and beauty. Disperse the rage of your wrath; Look on everyone who is proud, and humble him. Look on everyone who is proud, and bring him low; Tread down the wicked in their place. Hide them in the dust together, Bind their faces in hidden darkness. Then I will also confess to you that your own right hand can save you." (Job 40:8-14, NKJV)
In the face of suffering, we want God to act in the way we think He should. In some situations someone will always ask, if there is a God, why does He allow suffering? The world wants God to intervene but not to interfere. They don't want Him in their everyday business. The world wants healing but not punishment. They want Santa God, not God Almighty.

Why is no one asking how that person lived BEFORE they got sick or in trouble? People look at a mother with two young children dying of cancer and ask why God does not heal her, but if we want God in trials, we must know Him in all things, we must cultivate a relationship with Him, we must seek to know Him and follow Him and to do His will. So the question of why MUST be examined in the light of the whole person, not just their illness. Does this mother know God and honor God? Or are they unbelievers, maybe even calling themselves Christians but living as though they do not know Him?

You hear people cursing God because He does not heal, but no one is calling for His justice; no one is asking why He allows sin to go seemingly unpunished. No one is begging God to strike someone taking His name in vain; no one is saying He should curse people living for themselves, prospering apart from honoring God.

Who are we to judge God? Who are we to question Him as to why He does what He does or doesn't? We want mercy, but not truth. We want to live like there is no God, but we want Him to show up when we need something. People will say they cannot understand why God allows suffering, but never that they do not understand why God allows sin.

Think of this concept in human terms. Suppose your spouse never talked to you, looked at you, paused to thank you for all that you do for him or her every day. At night when you lay down in bed, no kiss goodnight, no words of love or wishes for sweet dreams. Imagine he or she never even acknowledged your existence. Now imagine that your spouse wakes up one day with a high fever, unrelenting nausea, and a fierce headache. He or she calls to you for some water and aspirin, for some tender loving care to ease the pain, something for his aching head.

How would you react? I doubt if you would rush to his bedside full of love and concern. In fact, I would be surprised if you were able to refrain from an outright tirade! Maybe we think God should be above all that since He is, after all, God, but when faced with the comparison I think most of us would have the good grace to be ashamed.

If we want God in our time of need, we must seek Him also in our times of plenty. We must cultivate a relationship before the crisis.
Let's remember God's cry to Job: "Who is this who darkens counsel By words without knowledge? Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me. Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?" (Job 38:2-7, NKJV)

Join us next Tuesday for Why Does God Allow Suffering, Part 2.

Sonya Richards

Announcement:
Are the Nugget devotionals a blessing to you? Check out the Scriptural Nuggets website!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 6, 2012
Managing Troubles. Tips From the Book of Job, Part 5: God's Unfailing Love By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in Managing Troubles, Part 4, we discovered that falling into the trap of talking but not listen will only make things worse for us. This week's lesson focuses on another mistake we so often make when faced with troubles: We fail to see God's unfailing love through them!

In Job 9, Job's friend, Bildad the Shuhite, has just finished his first accusation, the gist of which says that the fact that Job is suffering indicates he has committed sin.

Job's initial response is non-argumentative, but desperate: "Truly I know it is so, But how can a man be righteous before God? If one wished to contend with Him, He could not answer Him one time out of a thousand. God is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened himself against Him and prospered?" (Job 9:2-4 NKJV)

Job then goes on to give example after example of God's might, and Job is right to do so. In fact, it would appear that Job has a very accurate, clear picture of God being all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present.

But Job's picture of God isn't complete, for he goes on to say:

"If I called and He answered me, I would not believe that He was listening to my voice." (Job 9:16 NKJV)

In other words, Job didn't believe that God in all His power and might would stop to listen to one little voice! Job's view of God did NOT include one all-important part of God: "God is love ..." (1 John 4:16 NKJV)

But, you ask, how can you say Job didn't believe in God's love for us from this simple verse?

Job goes on to describe a potential day in court:

"Though I were righteous, my own mouth would condemn me; Though I were blameless, it would prove me perverse." (Job 9:20 NKJV)

"Therefore I say, 'He destroys the blameless and the wicked.'" (Job 9:22 NKJV)

In other words, once God decides to destroy, He does so, regardless of the facts. God even changes the facts to prove His point!

That doesn't sound like a God of love, does it? Yet we know that He is love, and we know that God never changes: "For I am the Lord, I do not change . . ." (Mal 3:6 NKJV)

Job goes on to continue to prove that he believes in God's sovereignty, yet not in God's love.

"If I wash myself with snow water, And cleanse my hands with soap, Yet You will plunge me into the pit, And my own clothes will abhor me." (Job 9:30-31 NKJV)

"For He is not a man, as I am, That I may answer Him, And that we should go to court together. Nor is there any mediator between us, Who may lay his hand on us both." (Job 9:32-33 NKJV)

Again, what Job says is true! We can't wash away our own sin! Only the blood of Jesus can do that! And we do need an arbitrator, for sinful man cannot enter into the presence of a loving God! (See John 3:36 and 1 Tim. 2:5-7)

But what Job didn't understand here is simply this: God does not distance Himself from us because He doesn't care. It is our sin that distances us from Him! "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear." (Isa 59:1-2 NKJV)

Friends, what Job was missing in his picture of God was the element of eternal, unfailing, perfect love! Love that made a way: Initially through the sacrificial system and the priesthood, and later, through Jesus Christ our Lord! Job was right: He couldn't stand up and face God in court. But he was wrong to think this was by God's design. His understanding of God was not perfect. It excluded God's perfect love for us!

How often don't we hear: "God has abandoned me! God's hand of punishment is upon me!"

This is a dangerous statement to make, friends! When we say such things, we are making the same presumptuous statement as Job: We are presuming to fully understand God, when we know we will never understand Him fully here on Earth, and we are also forgetting about God's unfailing love.

Let's fast forward here to the end of the book of Job: "Now the Lord blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning; for he had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, one thousand yoke of oxen, and one thousand female donkeys. He also had seven sons and three daughters." (Job 42:12-14 NKJV)

Whatever it is you are facing, no matter how much it may seem to you that God has abandoned you, He hasn't. And He won't. We may not see the big picture God sees. We may not know what's going on in the Heavenly cosmos. But we can rest easy in God's unfailing love.

So the next time you face troubled times, let's learn a few lessons from Job. Let's recognize that it is during our troubled times that we grow, and God knows how to bring good things out of bad situations. Let's learn to avoid some of the pit-falls that Job fell into: Self-Pity, self-righteousness, and not truly listening. And finally, let's remember that we can always rest easy in God's unfailing love!

This is the last lesson in Managing Troubles. Tips From the Book of Job. If you've missed any of these lessons, you can access them by clicking here. If this link doesn't work for you, then please email me and I will send them to you. May God bless you abundantly as you go through the next bought of troubled times!

In His love,

Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.

Announcement:
Fear of heights, fear of pain, fear of close spaces, fear of being alone, fear of death. This world is riddled with paralyzing fear. This all-important series traces fear back to its roots, defining it and providing tips for complete Freedom From Fear! Check it out!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:57 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
November 4, 2012
Beyond the Surface
By Answers2Prayer
"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

The small flats boat was whipping along on top of the sea. No bouncing, just gliding on the glassy waters. What a glorious day! My husband was at the wheel, and as we entered a shallow area, he slowed to make sure we didn't get stuck in the sandy bottom.

Gazing out, I watched the horizon meet the Gulf. I was lost in God's beauty, when Ben exclaimed, "Look at these flats. Lotta grass." Then, "Here's a nice low profile reef."

I peered over the edge, and sure enough, purple sea fans were clearly visible. As we drifted a bit deeper, we could see some larger fish and some coral that had a little more dimension. Being a fisherman, my husband knows that looking beyond the surface, you see more. The deeper you go in the ocean, the more you see.

It's good to go deeper in the word of God, too. There is more to be seen. More revelation -- beyond the surface.

It is good, also, to go deeper with the Lord in prayer and meditation. Going deeper with God, and His word, affords us wisdom in our day to day relationships. The Bible tells us that God looks beyond the surface, that He is looking deeper; He is looking at our hearts.

Lord, today may I go beyond the surface: may I get a glimpse of your heart, through your Word. In Jesus' name, amen.

Inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy

Announcement:
Hello Nugget subscribers,
You will notice the different template for The Nugget mailing today. We are having significant trouble with the Nugget mailings bouncing back due to what is being called "spam content" or "content restrictions". We have been unable to identify what is triggering this message, but it is causing many of you to not receive your Nugget mailings. We have been trying many different things to try to identify the source of the problem, and have trialed a completely different template today, in case it is the template itself that is causing the difficulties.
We now must ask each of you for your help. If you wish to continue receiving these mailings, then we would ask that each of you contact your email hosts and ask them to "white list" any mailings from this address. This should prevent any further problems for you.
May God bless you abundantly!
Lyn Chaffart, Moderator, The Nugget

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 2, 2012
Beauty in the Beatitudes, Part 3 By Answers2Prayer

Today, in the concluding part of our series on the orderliness of God with special reference to the perfect order in the Beatitudes, we come to the final three "pearls" ... read beatitudes ...

Incorruption ...
"Blessed are the pure in heart ..." (Matt 5:8)

With passage of time, as the Holy Spirit, as the Master sculptor keeps chiseling away at the rough edges in a Christian's character, the latter becomes more and more Christ-like, with the purity of his heart being reflected in the radiance of his countenance. This purity, which is imparted in this side of eternity, would become intrinsic on the day of ethereal wedding (I John 3:2/Rev 19:7-8). With steady upward progress in sacrificial, holy living, a Christian in due course of time, gets recognized in the society for his godliness and trust-worthiness that comes along with it. Now this, more than anything else, qualifies him to be the perfect peacemaker!

Mediation ...

"Blessed are the peacemakers ..." (Matt 5:9)

There is an insightful saying that "the rich are respected, the strong are feared, the intelligent are admired but it is only the godly, who are trusted".

Now there are 2 dimensions to the concept of "peacemaking". One is of a socio-spiritual type, where a mature Christian's counsel is sought by troubled individuals, families and even some welfare societies plagued by troubles arising from mutual distrust and discord. Now would they confide their problems to a passer-by on the road? NAY! But only to a godly, reliable, wise, sympathetic and empathetic individual, that an erstwhile sinner has now become ... remember it all began with the poor in spirit sought the Saviour!

The second type of "peace-making" is an unalloyed spiritual one, when a Christian donning the robes of an evangelist brings "peace between holy God and unholy sinners" by sharing the Gospel with the latter. Now would sinners, listen to a man preaching the Gospel, when he doesn't walk his talk? No way! But they would lend a hearing ear only to a person, whose exemplary life does the preaching before his mouth does ... whose heart is pure ...! So once again, it all goes back to the that first step of faith ... this sinner turned saint had taken, when he poor in spirit sought the Saviour ... all those years back! Amazing, isn't it? Hallelujah!

Persecution ...

"Blessed are those, who are persecuted ..." (Matt 5:10-12)

Hey, someone is bound to get alarmed and terribly upset when a Christian grabs a sinner from the realm of darkness and brings him into light! Satan, our ole' enemy, also described fittingly as a roaring lion (I Peter 5:8)! David the Shepherd testified as to the lion's habit of turning upon the rescuers of sheep, when they pull the sheep out of its murderous jaws (I Sam 17:34-35). No wonder when a Christian goes about earnestly in winning souls for the Lord, grabbing "sheep from the mouth of a lion" persecution is bount to follow, as night follows day! It may even result in martyrdom but take heart, no Christian shall die, before his God-ordained work is completed in this World (John 8:20). Amazing thing about those who have suffered for the Lord and the martyrs is that they continue to inspire long after they expire. Is not the good Lord still using the lives of His faithful servants and martyrs such as James, Peter and Paul, to inspire us even today?

Accept Martyrdom and the Crown that comes with it (Rev 2:10), should the opportunity come your way of making the supreme sacrifice. Meanwhile, be orderly in serving the orderly God! Now isn't there unmistakable beauty in the order of the beatitudes? There is! Finally, it is only in order that theology should always end with doxology! Hallelujah!

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
The book of Job: Shrowded in mystery. What does it have to teach us today? Important lessons on managing troubles, for one thing! Please join us this next Saturday for Studies From the Book of Job, Study #1: Managing Troubles: Tips From the Book of Job!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 30 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 29, 2012
Managing Troubles: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 4: Are we Truly Listening? By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in Managing Troubles, Part 3, we saw how having a humble heart will help us to recognize our own errors, so that we can, with a repentant heart, approach the throne of Grace. Today we need to take a look at another dangerous game that Job played in the middle of his problems, one that we so often play ourselves, and one that leads to more and more despair and agony: Job's conversation was one-sided! He did all the talking, never stopping to listen!

In Job 6:24, Job says: "Teach me, and I will hold my tongue; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred." (NKJV)

Job is, therefore, open to being taught, isn't he? He says, "Teach me, and I will hold my tongue"!

But is he really listening?

I have two teenagers, both of which were still living at home up until September of this year, when my oldest went away to University. In my communication with them, I have learned a valuable lesson. If I sit them down and lecture them, my words will simply go in one ear and out the other. If I, instead, stop my torrent of words and actually listen to what they are trying to tell me, I often come away with a totally different understanding of the situation I was lecturing them about in the first place!

Here is a recent example: My son recently did not win a contest, one that would have assured him of a coop placement and would have looked very good on his resume. I had two choices:

1. I could have sat him down and talked to him, telling him how much I loved him, how much my heart hurt for him that he hadn't won, etc.

2. Or I could have taken a few moments to listen to how he felt about the subject before saying anything.

I chose the second option. And I soon discovered that my son didn't really want this coop anyway. It wasn't in an area that he wishes to pursue in his career, and therefore he was actually happy he didn't win!

What if I had simply talked without listening? I would have never learned the truth.

So when Job says, "Teach me and I will hold my tongue . . ." He's has it backwards! He has to first hold his tongue in order to start to see things from God's perspective!

Isn't this so typical of most of our prayers? We talk, we weep, we bitterly complain, we beg. There is only one thing we typically don't do: We typically don't stop to listen! Friends, if we want answers, we have to stop our complaining and listen!

And this is what Job finally did, but not for another 20+ chapters! "Oh, that I had one to hear me! Here is my mark. Oh, that the Almighty would answer me . . ." (Job 31:35 NKJV)

He goes on for another few verses after this: "That my Prosecutor had written a book! Surely I would carry it on my shoulder, And bind it on me like a crown; I would declare to Him the number of my steps; like a prince I would approach Him. If my land cries out against me, And its furrows weep together; If I have eaten its fruit without money, Or caused its owners to lose their lives; Then let thistles grow instead of wheat, And weeds instead of barley." (Job 31:35-40 NKJV)

And then that is the end of Job's words. He finally stops to listen.

And what does he first hear?

I'd like to say he immediately heard the answers he craved, but alas, poor Job was doomed to hear more chapters of empty words from a fourth friend, Elihu (See Job 32-37). But then, God answers Job. And God's words change his heart, turning him around, driving him to repentance for his self-righteousness:

"Then Job answered the Lord and said: 'I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You. You asked, 'Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Listen, please, and let me speak; You said, 'I will question you, and you shall answer Me.' "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:1-6 NKJV)

And what happens? The last part of this chapter states that Job was reinstated in his former position with twice the wealth of before.

Over the past four weeks, we've discovered a number of pit-falls to avoid when we are going through troubled times. But does Job have any suggestions for us? Join us next week for Managing Troubles. Tips From the Book of Job, Part 5: God's Unfailing Love

In His love,

Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.

Announcement:
Lessons From Handicaps: Are there lessons we can learn from handicaps? Go to Lessons From Handicaps and see!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 28 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 27, 2012
One Page at a Time By Answers2Prayer

"Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But aa seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matt. 6:31-34)

I have the bad habit of skipping to the last pages of a book to see how it ends while I am still in the middle of it. This habit annoyed first my Mom, then my friends, and finally even my own daughter. Often my impatience wouldn't be confined just to the books I read but also to what they were reading as well. Finally one day my daughter told me in exasperation, "Dad please just read a book one page at a time like everyone else!"

At times I haven't limited this bad habit to just books either. I have also tried to skip ahead in my own life and figure out what to do months and even years from now instead of embracing each day as God intended. I knew that the book of my life wasn't done yet and that I had many pages left to go. Still, that didn't stop me from trying to write the ending half-way through.

Time and again, I would foolishly jump ahead and try to solve every conceivable problem before it happened so I could reach that storybook happily ever after ending. Life, however, doesn't work like that. God loves to surprise us, and you never know what new problem, change, or opportunity each new day will bring.

God in His loving wisdom has often had to remind me to relax, slow down and find His love and joy in each day. Recently when I found myself returning to that bad habit of rushing ahead and living in the future again, I found His truth coming from the lips of a special soul who gently told me I needed to "live one day at a time." When I heard those words I smiled, turned the book of my life back to the right page, and thanked God for today.

There is no skipping ahead in the book of life. Each of us has to live it one page and one day at a time. Each of us has to have faith in God to help us to write it line by line and moment by moment. Each of us has to trust that our Heavenly Father will bring our story to its perfect end.

Joe Mazzella
Announcement:
The book of Job: Shrouded in mystery! What kinds of things does it have to teach us today? Important lessons on managing troubles, for one thing! Please join us on Saturdays in September for Studies From the Book of Job, Study #1: Managing Troubles.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 27 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 25, 2012
Beauty in the Beatitudes, Part 2 By Answers2Prayer

Continuing with the series on the orderliness of our Creator, especially in the manner of His listing of the beatitudes, today we "string together" two to five pearl-like beatitudes after already having focused upon the first "pearl":

Disconsolation...

"Blessed are those, who mourn..." (Matt 5:4)

What is the natural response of a person deeply convicted in spirit? We do not need to go any farther than the account about the repentant "sinful" tax collector and proud "righteous" Pharisee (Luke 18:9-14) to get the answer? The contrite individual is "bound to mourn", Shed copious tears, as it were, like the penitent Tax collector in the story before us. So no wonder, the second beatitude follows in perfect logical order "Blessed are those who mourn". Amazing isn't it? Say Hallelujah! Permit me to add here, everyone without any exception needs to turn with a penitent heart to the Saviour, for the Scripture declares that all of us are sinners (Romans 3:23) and not only those with a police record! Is there an "empirical formula" to discern for ourselves that we are all sinners? Let us visit Garden of Eden before the fall and what do we see? Adam and Eve clothed in pristine holiness, going about like innocent little children (who do not bother about clothing), without even physically clothing themselves. The need for "covering their shame", so to say, came about only after the fall. If we are all clothing ourselves physically, is that not a proof in itself about our innate fallen condition inherited "genetically" from our earthly ancestor Adam (Romans 5:12)? Even a hard-core atheist won't walk about naked in the streets in defiance of what is written in the Bible vis-à-vis clothing in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1-7)!!!

I reiterate "Blessed" indeed are those who mourn in realization of their spiritual poverty for then the just God not only "clears their record" on the basis of Christ's atoning work on the cross (Colossians 1:20-22 NLV) but also places His own "comforting" Holy Spirit (John 15:26-AB) in them, sealing them so to speak, as His own children (Eph 1:13/Romans 8:15)!

Submission...

"Blessed are those, who are meek..." (Matt 5:5)

When the Holy Spirit comes into the heart of the believer, at the point of regeneration, He brings along with Him, "His fruit" (Gal 5:22,23 KJV), which amongst others' includes meekness. A forgiven sinner, at this stage has meekness overflowing in his heart, as the magnitude of his enormous debt to his Redeemer registers on his mind. Oh the gracious, merciful God of mine has forgiven ALL of my sin ... is the line, that would be playing on his mind again and again, even as he starts taking baby steps in his new way of life, with a heart full of meekness borne of gratitude. Since the Holy Spirit is "his coach" now in the matter of Holy living, he submits himself meekly and fully to the guidance of the Divine coach.

Appetit ion...

"Blessed are those, who hunger and thirst for righteousness..." (Matt 5:5)

It is said of repentance "it makes a person allergic to what he was addicted, and addicted to what he was allergic". All along before the redemption experience, a sinner as is his wont would have shunned Church-going, praying, Bible reading, attending cottage prayer meetings and a host of other Christian activities, now these are the very activities, which would appeal to him, as nutritious milk would to a growing infant (1 Peter 2:2-3) even as he immerses himself in them. All these would contribute to his growth process- the divine transformation into Christ-likeness (2 Cor 3:18/2 Peter 1:5-7)! Say growing Christian, have you whetted your spiritual appetite in the presence of the Lord today?

Compassion ...

"Blessed are the merciful..." (Matt 5:7)

Now a growing Christian drinking deeply from the fount of Holy joy (John 4:13-14) would look with mercy at the unrepentant souls, who are trekking towards a Christ less eternity. Not for him a holier than thou attitude whilst introducing Christ to them (1 Peter 3:15), for he knows too well, what kind of a sinner, he himself had been, before his regeneration. Now no Christian experiencing the joys of his new life would whine at the task of winning souls for his Lord, for talking about the saving grace of his Saviour would come as naturally to him, as speaking about a doctor who has cured him of a life-threatening disease. Honestly, you do not need a push to talk about your Road to Damascus experience. Ask Paul ...

Prayer: Father, enable us to keep on co-operating with the Master trainer-the Holy Spirit-in order we keep growing into your Son's image. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan

J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
Have a Beautiful Fall!

With Autumn already showing her colours throughout the Northern Hemisphere of our planet, with the children all back in school, let's all take a moment to reflect upon the blessings that God has granted us througout this past summer. May God bless you abundantly and with abundance this fall!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 24 Sep 2012, 1:20 am

Welcome to the Nugget September 22, 2012
Managing Troubles: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 3: The Importance of Humility By Answers2Prayer
The book of Job has many valuable lessons to teach us. Over the course of the next year, several min-series' will be published in the Nugget, focussing on each of these lessons. Please click here to see the studies that have already appeared in the Nugget. Please join us on Saturdays in November for Study 1: Managing Troubles: Tips From the Book of Job.

Studies From the Book of Job, Study #1:

Managing Troubles: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 3:

The Importance of Humility

Last week, in Managing Troubles, Part 2, we learned the pitfalls of falling into the ever-so-tempting trap of self-pity. We saw how self-pity will blind us to what God is truly doing in our lives and in the lives of others. But just how do we manage our problems, anyway?

Our next lesson comes to us from the way Job manages his troubles.

As you read through the book, it quickly becomes clear that Job is far from an ideal example of someone who manages troubles God's way.

It's true that Job's initial response to his problems was admirable. After losing all of his family, his wealth and his health, his wife advised him: "Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Curse God and die!" (Job 2:9 NKJV) And Job's response? "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?" (Job 2:10a).

It's pretty commendable, isn't it? And Job WAS commended for his response: "In all this Job did not sin with his lips." (Job 2:10b NKJV).

But then Job doesn't say anything for seven whole days, and when he does begin to speak, his words are full of self-pity: "May the day perish on which I was born, And the night in which it was said, 'A male child is conceived.'" (Job 3:3 NKJV) In other words, his message is loud and clear: "Woe is me!"

We also know that Job considered himself to be without sin: "Yes, concede, my righteousness still stands!" (Job 6:29 NKJV), despite the fact that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Rom 3:23).

So Job's response is far from ideal. We also know that when it was all said and done, God spent four chapters reprimanding Job (see Job 38-41).

But the end of the book brings us the real lesson to be learned. Job recognizes his ignorance. He recognizes his errors and it is with a repentant heart that he approaches the throne of Grace: "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:5-6 NKJV)

What about us? When we go through troubles, do we ever arrive at the point where we humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord? Do we ever admit that there has been something for us to learn through the problems? If we do, then we have indeed, learned the lesson of Job. But if we have not, then friends, we can be sure that the troubles will come again. And again. And again. Until we learn this important Truth: We are not perfect, there is always something we can learn from our problems!

It was said in a powerful sermon I once heard: You don't ever fail God's test; you just have to retake them! I don't know about you, but I'd rather learn my lessons the first time around!

Does the book of Job teach us about other pit-falls to avoid when going through troubled times? Please join us next week for Managing Troubles. Tips From the Book of Job, Part 4: Are we Truly Listening?

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Announcements:
The book of Joshua has many powerful lessons for us today. Visit us online for the previously-published series, Lessons From Joshua.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 20, 2012
HER PRAYER CAME THROUGH By Answers2Prayer
Here is a witty saying that came home to me with the force of reality some time ago -- "Be careful what you pray for, it might come true."

My friend from overseas concluded her letter with a prayer that I would have a lovely weekend, filled with warmth and sunshine. At a casual glance it seemed her prayer would come true.

For many months an unusual autumn had led into an unseasonal winter that was balmy, dry and filled with sunshine. We ate breakfast on the open veranda every morning, drenched with sunshine and wearing sun-glasses against the brightness when, in fact, we should have been shivering over a fire because of the frost outside.

To the casual eye it was picture postcard perfect but the earth was dry and our trees and shrubs and the gardens around the house were in serious distress. Many of the wintertime bulbs would not flower and give their wonderful perfume unless they had seriously cold rain before they developed.

Most of the country a little further out was in severe drought. In many communities, even drinking water was so tainted it was almost undrinkable and once lush gardens were dust bowls. On the farms, sheep and cattle had been sold off or were barely alive. Families were in crises both emotionally and financially.

Our area was not as bad as that but we needed rain, too. We shared their longing and their prayers for rain.

Which brings me back to the thought in my friend's letter. She could not see our needs as God sees them so her prayers were for the wrong thing and isn't it true that so many of our prayers are just like that. We pray for what we think is needed but we do not see the needs as God sees them.

Nevertheless God did answer her prayer for my lovely weekend but He answered it His way. The rain slipped in quietly with clouds and then cold winds all day and all night. We got the drenching we longed for and a proper start to winter.

More than that, it taught me to pray as Jesus prayed instead of praying for what I think is best. Facing terrible agony He prayed to His Father for relief but He concluded with these words: "And He was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and prayed ..." (Luke 22:41)

Do you pray that way, too?
Elizabeth Price

Announcements:
SUBMISSIONS WELCOMED!!!

Has God given you a special message? Why not share it with The Nugget and its subscribers? The Nugget welcomes any and all Bible-based devotional submissions under 1000 words. Please include at least ONE BIBLE TEXT in your submission, and submit here.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:47 am

Welcome to the Nugget September 18, 2012
BEAUTY IN THE BEATITUDES, Part 1 By Answers2Prayer

"For God is not a God of disorder ..." (1 Cor 14:33)

First things first. What is the chief and highest end of man?

Let the revered Christian Book namely the Westminster catechism give the answer. "Man's chief and highest end is to glorify (worship) God, and fully to enjoy him forever."

When it comes to glorifying Him and fully enjoying Him, let it be said that the entire exercise ought to be "absolutely genuine emanating right from the innermost core of one's being (read spirit)".

This would lead to the next question, how could the process of glorifying Him originate right from the depths of one's heart? It is only possible, when a person is truly fascinated by His unique traits. Remember, worshipping God for WHAT HE IS, is the highest form of worship, standing head and shoulders above other forms of worship, which come with strings attached, such as worshipping Him for the blessings, He showers upon us. While on the subject, at this stage, it would serve us well to look at the synonym of the word "Glorify", which is "Magnify". When, one magnifies Him, that is to say, when one keenly observes His Divine nature, with a magnifying glass, as it were, the "spiritual explorer" (if you permit me to use this expression) in you is bound to come across several unique attributes of the Almighty, which would evoke awe, and in turn lead to spontaneous, heart-felt worship and praise.

In this series of three parts punctuated with...what else... "Hallelujahs" (incidentally Hallel in Hebrew language means to praise and Yah means God). I would like to bring before my readership one definite attribute in the Almighty, which at once evokes awe in me that is...He is (as the above-captioned Scripture emphasizes) a GOD OF ORDER. There is perfect order, in whatever He does. Period. One may well say that His signature of orderliness is seen vividly in all of His physical creation and to the keen observer, perfect order would be perceptible in the spiritual realm too.

Firstly, let us focus upon our Planet, as one entity. There is a distinct orderliness about it in all areas' especially in matters such as its distance from its "heating system" ... the Sun, isn't it? If it were a lit bit closer, we would all be fried to death and a little further away and we would all freeze. Right? Do not get your thinking marred by imagining about possibility of life in Mars. Nothing quite like our good ole' Earth, when it comes to sustaining life. Look at the "reverse breathing order" of human and plant life, and we find one more reason to spontaneously praise Him. What we inhale, the plants exhale and vice versa! Is this breathing pattern a result of some bizarre cosmic accident? NO WAY!

Sublimation before action...

Now let us come to the spiritual realm, or to be more precise to the Sermon on the Mount delivered by our Lord, which is the cornerstone of Christian faith and what do we see? There too, we see a wonderful pattern in operation. Ever wondered, why the good Lord spoke about the beatitudes FIRST (the word Beatitude incidentally means supreme blessedness) and then only about several DOs' and DONTs' in His illustrious message, which span Chapters 5 to 7 of the Gospel according to St. Matthew. As it were, the entire Sermon on the Mount can be divided into 2 parts. The weightier beatitudes (Matt 5:1-12) followed by how we need to go about "fleshing out the Christian faith" (Matt 5:13-7:28). As the beatitudes focus upon the inward transformation to start with, our Lord was obviously more interested "in what we BECOME FIRST, rather than in what we DO"- sublimation before action for you, please! Is it not a fact of life that doing or not doing anything depends on WHAT WE ARE IN THE FIRST PLACE? Underscoring this truth, one Biblical scholar put it creatively when he said, "For this purpose, we are called Human BEINGS and not Human DOINGS"!

Now, if I were to say that even in the beatitudes, there is a beautiful order portraying "gradual evolution of a Christian life" and that they are actually inter-connected LIKE EIGHT PEARLED NECKLACE, would you mouth a loud HALLELUJAH? YES, THEY ARE, SO YOU BETTER DO! Ever wondered, why the good Lord placed the beatitude about persecution at the very end? To arrive at the answer, we need to ask ourselves, this question. WHEN DOES A CHRISTIAN GET PERSECUTED?

Beginning here are questions and answers arrayed backwards, which would lead to the first beatitude. A Christian gets persecuted, only when He stands up for His Saviour or only when he works for Him. When would he do that? ONLY, WHEN HE HAS A RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM! AND WHEN DOES THAT RELATIONSHIP BEGIN? ONLY WHEN HE POOR IN SPIRIT SEEKS THE SAVIOUR! Oh boy, oh boy...simply amazing is the perfect order in the beatitudes. HALLELUJAH! Fasten your seat-belts as we prepare for the ethereal flight of understanding the precise, logical order in the flow of the Beatitudes...

Realization...

"Blessed are poor in spirit..." (Matt 5:3)

Now focusing upon the Beatitudes one by one, I reiterate blessed indeed are the poor in spirit, who realize that they are sinners to the core, as such, in dire need of a Saviour! That is exactly where, the Christian life with a born again experience begins, when a person convicted of his/her sins turns his life over into the waiting arms of the merciful Redeemer, who in turn receives him warmly, registering in the process the erstwhile sinner's name in the Book of life (Rev 20:12). Examine once again the words of our Lord in this context. Man being comprised of three parts (body, soul and spirit. See I Thess 5:23), our Lord doesn't call a person who is "poor in body or soul" as blessed, for they do not constitute the REAL PERSON but reserves the exalted blessing only to those, who are convicted where it really matters...deep down in spirit, which constitutes innermost core of one's being!

Prayer: Father, even as you are orderly, enable us also to be orderly in all aspects of our Christian life. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcements:
The book of Job: Shrouded in mystery. What does it have to teach us today? Important lessons for managing troubles, for one thing! Please join us on Saturdays in September for STUDIES FROM THE BOOK OF JOB, Study 1: MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

Welcome to the Nugget September 15, 2012
MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 2: The Pit-Falls of Self-Pity By Answers2Prayer
The book of Job has many valuable lessons to teach us. Over the course of the next year, several min-series' will be published in the Nugget, focussing on each of these lessons. Please click here to see the studies that have already appeared in the Nugget. Please join us on Saturdays in November for Study 1: MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job.

STUDIES FROM THE BOOK OF JOB, Study #1:

MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 2:

The Pit-Falls of Self-Pity

Just What WAS Job's Problem?

Something I've always asked myself is this: Why, after God initially said that Job did NOT sin against Him, did God then spend four chapters reprimanding him? How did Job get from the position where it was initially said of him: "In all this, Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong." (Job 1:22 NKJV); and "And in all this Job did not sin with his lips." (Job 2:10 NKJV), to the place where God felt he needed correction?

After Job's initial attack by the devil and his seven days of total silence, the book of Job divides into a series of accusations by Job's three friends, followed by a Job's rebuttal for each accusation. Let's take a look at Job's first response to his first friend, Eliphaz, who accuses Job of having sinned against God (See Job 6,7). Eliphaz bases his argument on the belief of the day that bad things only happen to bad people; therefore since bad things were happening to Job, he must be a "bad" person!

Job doesn't believe this. In fact, Job doesn't believe he has sinned at all! "Now therefore, be pleased to look at me; For I would never lie to your face. Yield now, let there be no injustice! Yes, concede, my righteousness still stands! Is there injustice on my tongue? Cannot my taste discern the unsavory?" (Job 6:28-30 NKJV)

And when we begin to see ourselves as perfect then we have fallen deeply into the sin of "self-righteousness"!

But let's look Further:

"For the arrows of the Almighty are within me; My spirit drinks in their poison; The terrors of God are arrayed against me." (Job 6:4 NKJV)

Job is accusing God of having brought all this upon him!

True enough, it was the mentality of the day and age to attribute to God the things that God did not prevent. Yet nowhere in history does the fact that it was the "mentality of the day" excuse sin. In our day and age, it is the "mentality of the day" to live with your boyfriend/girlfriend outside of marriage. The "mentality of the day" didn't excuse Job then, and it certainly doesn't excuse us today!

Let's jump to verses 11-13:

"What strength do I have, that I should hope? And what is my end, that I should prolong my life? Is my strength the strength of stones? Or is my flesh bronze? Is my help not within me? And is success driven from me?" (Job 6:11-13 NKJV)

Here we find Job making some pretty erroneous statements. He says he is without strength and without hope, that his help comes from within himself. Yet we know that our strength doesn't come from within, it comes from God! "For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation." (Isa 12:2 NKJV); "The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped . . ." (Ps 28:7 NKJV). We know that we can trust God to give us the strength and hope we need to get through any situation!

But let's not be too hard on Job. Don't we all fall into the same trap oh, too often? And it's a deadly trap to fall into! The more we start looking to ourselves for answers, the more desperate we become! The more depressed, the more without hope! And this is exactly what we see happening to Job.

Friends, let's learn from Job. Let's remember that that hope comes from the Lord:

"But I hope in Your word." (Ps 119:81 NKJV); "Lord, I hope for Your salvation . . ." (Ps 119:166 NKJV); and "The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, In those who hope in His mercy." (Ps 147:11 NKJV)

So back to my initial question. How did righteous Job fall into all these sinful traps?

Let's go back to vs. 1,2 of Job 6 for the answer: "Oh, that my grief were fully weighed, And my calamity laid with it on the scales! For then it would be heavier than the sand of the sea - Therefore my words have been rash." (Job 6:2-3 NKJV)

The answer is simple! Job allowed himself to wallow in self-pity!

Well, that's pretty justifiable, wouldn't you say? After all, he has lost literally everything!

Justifiable, perhaps, yet look how it opens the door for Job to come up with a horrible mis-representation of God.

Is it for naught that we are told to rejoice in our times of trouble? This may be hard, but it is a vital step in avoiding the trap Job fell into, the trap of self-pity, and thus keeping us from entering into more and more sin!

But if self-pity isn't the answer, then what is? Please join us next week for MANAGING TROUBLES. Tips From the Book of Job, Part 3.

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Announcements:
Have you ever taken the time to contemplate, I mean REALLY contemplate the depth of God's sacrifice to us through the death of Jesus Christ? Visit us online for the previously-published series, THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:54 am

September 13, 2012
CHARIOTS By Answers2Prayer

Scripture:
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God." (Ps 20:7)

Observation:
The chariot and horse were weapons of war and naturally gave an advantage over the soldiers on foot. They were expensive and fearsome. I can see how easy it would have been to pour resources into these technological advances to gain the upper hand. However, the people of Israel were not to trust in chariots or horses but rather in the Lord their God. This goes against what the world teaches, trust in might, trust in material possession, trust in the latest technological advances. I think it is the heart that is the issue here. When we trust ONLY in the strength of created things our hearts lean on those things whether they be giftings or experiences that we have already gone through. Our hearts were designed to trust in and worship only God, that is when we operate the best. When we lean on and trust in God with all of our hearts, He will direct our paths and protect us from the enemy. Trusting in other things is a temporary fix not an eternal solution.

Application:
I desire to trust in You Lord. This means that I need to put other things in perspective. I desire to hear Your voice and respond to it, not fears brought on by others opinions. I desire to trust You for health and healing not just the doctors and medicine. I desire to trust in You everyday and in every way. My focus needs to on my relationship with You.

Prayer:
Lord help me trust in You with all of my heart, in Jesus name, amen.

David Goodin

Announcements:
Hounded by problems? Have troubles become your "norm"? Do you find it hard to hold on to faith in the midst of dire need? God know! Check out VICTORY IN TROUBLE, a 4-part mini-series by Lyn Chaffart, designed to help you be victorious through your troubled times.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:32 am

Welcome to the Nugget September 11, 2012
REMEMBERING 9-11: September 11, 2001 By Answers2Prayer
"For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'" (Heb 13:5-6 NKJV)
It's been 11 years since the terrorist attack against the United States: The two planes that crashed into the World Trade Centre tours in New York City, the plane that crashed into the Pentagon in Washington DC, and the plane that was heroically brought down in Pennsylvania by a courageous group of passengers.

Do you remember where you were that day?

I do. Though I live in Canada, the day will be forever etched in my memory.

I was doing the dishes when the phone rang. It was my mother, and she was frantic. She was, at the time, in the hospital rehabilitating from a broken hip, and though I don't remember her exact words, the gist of her message was loud and clear: My brother, who worked at the pentagon at the time, was unaccounted for!

It was the first I had heard of the attack, but due to the fact that the phone lines were clogged, we wouldn't know for several hours that my brother was, indeed, just fine. Praise be to God, though his office was in the part of the building that was hit, this particular section had been under construction and his office had been moved to a different part of the building.

During those hours of unknown, I prayed with my mom over the phone. I then called a social worker friend at the hospital who I knew to be a Christian and asking her to talk to my mom. I remember not knowing what to do with my time, so I went out for a walk. I remember being impressed by all the American and Canadian flags that were everywhere in the neighbourhood. One home even had candles burning on the brick wall surrounding their home, with flags surrounding the candles. I cried then. Not just for my still-missing brother, but because of the barbaric nature of the entire incident, and because of the love and support the world displayed that day for those who fell.

Now, 11 years later, the atrocity has not dimmed. The entire world reeled that day, and it is, I believe, forever changed.

How?

Living in Canada, I only glimpsed a fraction of what happened in the US. But as a result of the attack, Canada and the US are closer than they used to be. In fact, September 11 has been declared a National Heritage Day in Canada!

In New York City, the debris from the twin towers has been cleared, and in its place there now stands a 9-11 memorial to those innocent people who died in the attack. The memorial opened in 2011, on the 10-year anniversary of the ordeal, but the actual museum is slated to open this year.

As I was looking at a video of the memorial, one image stood out vividly in my mind. It wasn't much, really, just two pieces of steel support beams connected together in the middle. But it was in the form of ... A cross!

Wait a minute! A cross? Surely this was someone's fabrication! Some Christian was trying to make sense of everything and had fashioned this cross out of the support beams!

But this is not the case. This piece of rubble was found in its current shape by construction worker Frank Silecchio, who had been looking through the debris at the garage level for bodies!

Total chance?

Some would say so, but I don't think so!

No, though the tides of evil had turned against God's children, God placed this cross in the middle of the debris to remind us that no matter how bad the circumstances may be, He is still in charge! He is there to hold us up, to comfort us, to carry us through! In the words of Frank Silecchio, "It brought me to my knees in tears. It revitalized me and helped me persevere through this tragedy." And later, he said, "I look to this cross as a symbol of faith."

You can pay a cyber-visit the cross by clicking here. Or better yet, should you find yourself in New York City in the near future, be sure to visit the 9-11 memorial where you will see the actual cross on display. But whether you visit it virtually or in person, let it be a reminder to you that no matter how bad things go, God is still there!

And the next time things turn bad in your life (and they will, for God never promised us a trouble-free life!), remember that cross found in the wreckage of the World Trade Buildings. Remember, the God who planted that cross in the debris will comfort you, will hold you up, will carry you through!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries
Announcements:
The book of Job: Shrouded in mystery. What does it have to teach us today? Important lessons for managing troubles, for one thing! Please join us on Saturdays in September for STUDIES FROM THE BOOK OF JOB, Study 1: MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 09 Sep 2012, 7:25 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 8, 2012
MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 1: Why do we Suffer Troubles? By Answers2Prayer
The book of Job has many valuable lessons to teach us. Over the course of the next year, several min-series' will be published in the Nugget, focussing on each of these lessons. Please click here to see the studies that have already appeared in the Nugget. Please join us on Saturdays in November for Study 1: MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job.

STUDIES FROM THE BOOK OF JOB, Study #1:
MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 1:

Why do we Suffer Troubles?

There is no one in this world who knows a completely trouble-free life. Every one of us has, at some time or another, experienced tumultuous times. Why? Because troubles and trials are an intimate part of this life.

These times of life aren't "fun" to go through. Nevertheless, the Bible is clear: We are to rejoice in times of trouble (See James 1:2, Rom 5:3)!

But this goes against human nature. I mean, no one makes a habit of begging for trouble, and few if any would see trouble on the horizon and say, without sarcasm, "thanks so much! It's what I was waiting for!"

Why do we react this way?

Because, in the moment, troubles just aren't "fun"!

Job could relate. He lost everything: Children, wealth, even his health. And after sitting in silence for 7 days, his first words were far from words of praise: "May the day perish on which I was born, And the night in which it was said, 'A male child is conceived.'" (Job 3:3 NKJV) In other words, "Woe is me!"

And then, as if that weren't enough, Job has to sit and listen while four close friend, friends who consider themselves to represent the wisdom of the day, condemn him of sin.

As we say around here, "With friends like those, who needs enemies?"

And through all of this, Job seeks deeper and deeper into depression, into self-pity, into defensiveness, and into self-righteousness. To the point that God spends 4 chapters (See Job 38-41) reprimanding him.

We know from the first two chapters of the book of Job that God permitted these things to happen to Job. There was a great counsel in Heaven, and Satan said to God, "But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!" (Job 1:11. See also Job 2:5). God's reply? "Behold, he is in your hand, but spare his life." (Job 2:6 NKJV)

So what was God's reason for putting Job through this?

We can go to the New Testament for the answer: "...knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience ..." (James 1:3-4 NKJV) and "... knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope ..." (Rom 5:3-5 NKJV)

Friends, the reason we are told to rejoice in our suffering is because God is so able to do His best work in our lives while we are going through trials! In Job's case, God had a few things to teach Job. And not just him! His four friends, all of the "wise" men of the day, as well as each one of us in our day and age, can all learn from Job's misfortunes! God used this bad situation to help all of us see Him more correctly!

And this is exactly what Job's story has to teach us: Our troubled times can and will be used by God to help us see Him more clearly. They can and will be used to teach us important lessons. And through it all, we know that "... all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Rom 8:28-29 NKJV).

Join us next week and let Job teach us some important lessons for going through our trials: MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips from the Book of Job, Part 2: The Pit-Falls of Self-Pity.

In His love,
Lyn

God is concerned about even the minutest points of our lives, and if we let Him, He will guide us into the right decisions, 100% of the time! Our only job is to seek His guidance every step of the way. Visit us online for the previously-published series, GOD GUIDES!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:02 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 6, 2012
CLOSER TO HOME By Answers2Prayer
Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also ..." (John 14:1-4 NKJV)
It was near the end of Summer in my 16th year. I was riding gloomily in the back seat of a large van heading down an endless interstate. I was at the end of a two week road trip with several other teenagers to visit a seminary college in Iowa. Along the way I had spent several days in Pittsburgh, Chicago, and on the road. I felt tired, lonely, and homesick. It was the longest I had ever been away from my family.

I glanced out my window and suddenly my heart leapt up. There in the distance I could see them: the beautiful mountains of my home. After days and days on the dry, brown plains I finally saw the green hills that I grew up in again. As we got closer and closer to those glorious Appalachian mountains I felt myself growing happier and happier. My face lit up, my smile returned, and my eyes moistened. There was a warmth filling my spirit. It felt so good to be going home. It was such a joy to be headed back to the place that I was raised. It was such a blessing to finally know that I was almost back where I belonged.

Looking back on that memory makes me wonder what it will be like when I finally return to my true home. Even for the longest life this world is just a temporary residence. It is a place that we learn, love, and grow in but it isn't really home. Our true home lies beyond this world and its love, light, joy, and beauty are beyond my words to describe. Our true home is Heaven, it is where our family awaits us, and it is where our spirits all long to be.

Until I reach that blessed place, though, I will do my best to enjoy each day of life's journey here. I will do my best to use every moment to get a little closer to home. I will do my best to travel through life with a loving heart, a joyous smile, and a giving spirit. I will do my best to keep God in my soul until the day when my soul returns to God.
Joe Mazzella

Announcements:
Ever wonder about the Omniscience of God? Ever wonder if little acts of obedience are important? Check out the mini-series, OMNISCIENT GOD by clicking here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:29 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 4, 2012
Glass Wings By Answers2Prayer

"You asked, Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge? Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me. You said, Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me. My ears have heard of You but now my eyes have seen You. Therefore, I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:2-6 NIV)

Until recently, I had never heard of the glass wing butterfly, which is native to Central America and Mexico. The beautiful, transparent wings of these amazing little creatures look like glass mirrors and reflect the setting and wonderful backdrop of their surroundings.

Contemplating my new discovery, I turned to my favourite chapters of Job, from 38 through 40, in which the Lord challenges Job to explain the various wonders of His creation. All creatures, from the least to the greatest, display the mystery of God's glory and wisdom. His majestic involvement is evident in everything He has made, and by His goodness, He is the Sustainer of all life.

Days after learning about the glass wing butterfly, I also heard of a rare flower grown in Thailand known as the Parrot Flower. This rare species, resembling a parrot in flight, is yet another unique expression of the greatness of our Creator and Lord. Who but God could design such a perfect and rich variety of beauty throughout our natural world?

Like Job, I, too, realize that God's awesome creation is way beyond my understanding. Therefore, I am in no position to argue on any subject with the Almighty, since words without knowledge are utterly meaningless. The apostle Paul illustrates a similar sentiment in 1 Corinthians: "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Cor. 13:12 NIV)

If glass wings enable us to glimpse the wisdom and glory of God in the mystery of the magnitude and the awesome wonders of His creation, so then, may we also follow the example of Job and humbly submit to our Maker, being mindful not to obscure His wise counsel by carelessly speaking words without knowledge.

Prayer: Father, with wisdom, You have opened the gates of heaven, and the whole earth sparkles with Your glory. Cleanse our hearts of sin and pride that we may worship Your majesty in the spirit of truth. Help us in humility to surrender our lives into Your loving care. Keep us mindful of Your greatness and sovereignty throughout this wonderful world that Your hands have made. We thank You for the honour and privilege of knowing You personally through the revelation of Your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in whose blessed and holy name we pray. Amen.

Lori Ciccanti
Contact me here!
Ocean View, Delaware, USA

Announcements:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:32 pm

Welcome to the Nugget September 1, 2012
STUDIES FROM THE BOOK OF JOB: Introduction By Answers2Prayer
The book of Job has a lot of valuable lessons to teach us. These lessons are being presented over the course of the next year, several min-series' will be published in the Nugget, focussing on each of these lessons. Please click here to see the studies that have already appeared in the Nugget.
http://www.answers2prayer.org/
Please join us on Saturdays in September for Study 1: MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job.

STUDIES FROM THE BOOK OF JOB

Introduction
The book of Job.

I don't know about you, but this isn't my favourite book in the Bible. It seems like such a strange piece of literature, and though its main topic is as relevant today as it was in the day the book was written, there are so many things said, over so many chapters, that I tend to get lost in the details!

I reread this book recently, and this time, God showed many powerful lessons that this book has to teach us today. These lessons will be the subject of five upcoming studies, studies on discernment, on dealing with argument, on the prosperity doctrine, and several other miscellaneous lessons. And of course, on managing troubles. These studies will be appearing in the Nugget over the next year, and we invite you to watch for these lessons.

Today's introductory study is a general look at the book from a literary perspective. For those of you who aren't familiar with the book of Job, I would encourage you to read this powerful book at your earliest convenience. However to get started with the study, here is a brief synopsis:

Job is a wealthy man who loses all of his wealth, each of his 10 children, and eventually, even his health. Completely discouraged, Job laments his loses and tries to understand why God has done this to him. Three friends come on the scene to "console" Job. There are variations in the messages of the three friends, but essentially they are all telling Job that he has sinned against God, otherwise this wouldn't have happened to him. In the end of the Book, God appears, speaks to Job and his friends, Job is healed, the three friends are rebuked, and Job goes on to regain twice as much wealth as before, and 10 more children are born to him.

Though the book of Job may seem like a strange piece of literature in our day and age, it actually is quite characteristic of literature of the day. Even the subject matter is typical of the day, and there are many similar pieces of literature that have been found. We'll take a quick look at just three of these:

From the second half of the second millennium BC comes a poem entitled, "I will praise the Lord of Wisdom." In this poem, a pious sufferer, Shubshi-meshre-Shakkan, considers himself helpless before his god Marduk. He laments about friends having abandoned him, and like Job, he exhaustively describes his physical afflictions. He is then delivered after having seen three godlike persons in his dreams.*

Another, even older text, sometimes called, "A man and his god", describes the lament of a young man who is suffering from terrible but unspecified disease. The text is not complete, but it is clear that he wrestles with the question of how he may have sinned against his god. He concludes that he has committed blasphemy, he repents, and his god pronounces a blessing on him.**

Yet another text from approximately 1000 BC, commonly called "The Babylonian Theodicy", is a dialogue between a sufferer and his friend, bemoaning his fate and the treatment he has received from the gods. Like Job, he complains that the wicked have no problems, but he, who has always been generous and devout, has been cursed. His friend responds by telling him that he doesn't fully understand the ways of the gods, that they are mysterious.***

All three of these examples are similar in style and mentality to the Biblical book, but there are several important differences between these non-biblical examples and Job. Non-biblical pieces of wisdom literature tend to focus on omens, magical spells, and dreams, and they tend to be quite superficial in nature. In contrast, the book of Job contains no ritual or magical elements. Instead, Job is healed by God Himself, and this, only after he has heard and understood God's responses to the questions he has raised.

As you read this book you will see that Job wrestles with three fundamental issues, issues that are also vital to our walk with God:

1. God has sovereign governance in the world;

2. The righteous do, indeed, suffer;

3. All blessings come from God's hand, and He sends His rain on the rich as well as on the poor.

And how do these fundamental teachings match up to what the rest of the Bible has to teach?

1. The Bible teaches that God is sovereign: "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!" (Rom 11:33 NKJV)

2. The Bible tells us that followers of Jesus WILL suffer: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." (Matt 10:34-35 NKJV) and we are even told to rejoice in our suffering (See James 1:2, Rom 5:3-5, etc.)

3. The Bible is clear that all blessings come from the hand of God, and He pours them out without hesitation on the good and the bad alike: "For He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matt 5:45-46 NKJV)

Let's remember these important lessons, friends, the next time we are facing troubled times! I would invite you to join us next Saturday for the first study on the book of Job: MANAGING TROUBLES: Tips From the Book of Job, Part 1: Why do we Suffer Troubles?

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. * Archaeological Study Bible: An Illustrated Walk Through Biblical History and Culture. Copyright 2005 by The Zondervan Corporation: p. 751

* * Archaeological Study Bible: An Illustrated Walk Through Biblical History and Culture. Copyright 2005 by The Zondervan Corporation: p. 772

* ** Archaeological Study Bible: An Illustrated Walk Through Biblical History and Culture. Copyright 2005 by The Zondervan Corporation: p. 776.

Announcements:
There are many types of crowns mentioned in the Bible. Why are there so many? Check out THE CROWNING GLORY
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:10 am

Welcome to the Nugget August 30, 2012
PRIDE HINDERS FORGIVENESS By Answers2Prayer

I have discovered, and continue to discover, the ways that pride hinders not only the Christian but also the unbeliever. The list, I am sorry to say, is long and goes on and on, stretching into eternity where finally pride will be forever eradicated, as will all sin but until then it will continue to plague us every day. Maybe more than any other place, pride keeps us from forgiveness, both in asking for it and in bestowing it upon others.

The way that you first came to Christ is by asking for forgiveness, and in the asking, whether explicitly stated or not, you had to acknowledge the need for forgiveness. If you had not transgressed, then you would not need forgiveness, but admitting that you have done wrong -- that you have sinned -- is not easy to do, even if the admission is purely between yourself and the Lord. Admitting to the Lord, Who already knows you have sinned, that you have done wrong is perhaps easier than admitting it to yourself. No one likes to think of himself as evil or as being a wrong doer. We prefer to go along wearing blinders to the fact that we are walking straight into Hell rather than humble ourselves and admit we cannot save ourselves because our sin is too great.

Now we know that if we are indeed saved that our sins have been forgiven, but we also know from experience that we will continue to sin, even when we do not want to. Paul said that the things he wants to do, he doesn't and the things he doesn't want to do, he does, meaning sin. He wants to do right, but he fails sometimes, as do we, but God is "faithful and just to forgive us" (1 John 1:9) if only we ask. There, my friends, is the sticking point, the asking. The bible often compares us to children because we are the children of God and even though the Bible says we much come like children to the Kingdom, I am certain that God did not mean for us to try and cover up our sin as our children do!

Think of a child caught doing wrong. Even though the parent knows the child has done something, the child will try to deny or cover up his deed. There is a comic strip called Family Circus that depicts the children being asked about certain misdeeds in the household and blaming it on an "imaginary" person that is drawn is as a sort of ghost-like figure. This imaginary person has names such as Not Me, Nobody or Ida Know. Funny in the comics but not so funny in the home and not funny to God either but many times we do not want to "fess up" to our transgressions, even as Believers, not because of fear of punishment as in the illustration but because of our pride. To ask for forgiveness is to admit you need it.

Pride is a tool of the Devil to separate believers from God; therefore, we must tear down the walls of pride that keep us from God, readily and quickly admit when we have done wrong by allowing the Holy Spirit to work within us in the way that God intended (leading us into all truth) and ask for God's forgiveness, which He readily gives if only we will ask. We must defeat the Prince of Darkness and his armies with the Word of Truth because the battle is fierce and we must guard our hearts at all times, willing to dislodge and destroy any sin in our life that will give Satan a foothold. The Bible says "he prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Peter 5:8). We must be on our guard, using the shield of faith, faith that God will forgive and defend us as His own, and the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God, to knock the enemy down. He is a defeated foe, but we must not allow him to mislead us by using our pride against us.

Yours in love and in Christ,
Sonya Richards

Announcements:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget August 28, 2012
CONNECTIONS By Answers2Prayer
We hung a pretty bird-feeder under the shelter of the veranda to entice seed eating birds there. We could watch them through the window as they fed but the birds never came. A number of different birds should have come in from the garden for lovely fresh seed but they all totally ignored the bird-feeder.

I walked around the veranda where I could see and hear them in the bushes and trees but they kept away. They were too scared of me to come near.

Frustrated, I shook the feeder to spill seed on to the pavers, so that it spread out like a banquet for them. They watched and waited until I disappeared through the door and then only the common brown sparrows came. None of the more exotic birds bothered to share in the banquet or to acknowledge even the feeder or the seed.

The sparrows had a wonderful meal but they never looked up to where it came from. They never saw the connection between the bird-feeder and the seed, they waited for it to be shaken out but kept their distance and waited until they could feed at their leisure.

Every day, I would walk out and shake seed down for them and they would wait until I disappeared before they swooped to search out the pieces they liked best. But they scattered like scared thieves if I came into view. They never observed that my love for them was demonstrated by the seed I put out and they never connected the bird-feeder with the seed.

To this day they have not discovered the bird-feeder. They wait to pick up crumbs when they could help themselves to a marvelous meal of wonderful variety.

Like birds, the more exotic members of our race completely ignore the bird-feeder and never share even the crumbs and I thought how much like little brown sparrows most of us are. We scatter like thieves if the Lord comes near and we wait apart from Him to search out the bits of His Word we want to hear. We do not open the Bible for ourselves to find a marvelous meal of wonderful variety, we are contented with crumbs provided by someone who shakes the seed down for us and scatters it at our feet.

Like sparrows, we come to the seed but we never come to the bird-feeder. As Jesus said, "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:39).

We pick up the crumbs shaken down by others but we should not be scared to come to the One who provides the full banquet. His love for us is demonstrated through His bird-feeder, the Bible, and it brings us to the giver Himself.

Elizabeth Price

Announcements:
Burdened by endless trouble? Feel like you're stuck in the valleys of problems? Wonder why you can't spend at least SOME time on the mountain tops? Check out MOUNTAIN TOP EXPERIENCES, an eight part mini-series designed to help us view the peaks and valleys of life from GOD'S perspective!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Aug 2012, 8:39 pm

Welcome to the Nugget August 25, 2012
VICTORY IN TROUBLE, Part 4: Worn out From Groaning By Answers2Prayer

In the past three lessons on VICTORY IN TROUBLES, we've seen that God asks us to blindly trust Him that everything will work out for the best, He asks us to completely surrender a problem to Him so that His peace is ours and the solution can be sure, and He suggests that when we keep our eyes fixed upon Him instead of the trouble around us, then this total surrender will be so much easier!

But we all know this isn't an easy thing! And so often we find ourselves truly worn down by the trials. But God, in His mercy, has given us yet another tool to use. Today's lesson comes to us from the Bible:

"Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am faint; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish. How long, O Lord, how long? ... I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; They fail because of all my foes." (Ps 6:2,3,6,7 NIV)

We do not know for sure when Ps. 6 was written, though some believe that it was written by David while he was suffering some kind of grievous disease after his night with Bathsheba. But whenever it was written, the writer is obviously very upset, and he turns to God with his feelings.

Notice how defeated the writer feels: "I am worn out from groaning", "I am faint", "my bones are in agony", "My eyes grow weak with sorrow, they fail me because of my foes." There is absolutely no hope left in this writer's mind. He is overpowered and overcome.

Have you ever felt this way? I believe we all have, at one point or another, and some of us may feel this way the majority of the time. Everything is going wrong. The world seems like it has turned against us. God seems to have abandoned us. There is no hope, and all we do is drench our pillows with tears.

But the Psalm doesn't end here:

"Away from me, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping. The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer. All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace." (Ps 6:8-10 NIV)

The defeated has become victorious! The hopeless has regained hope!

Why?

For the answer to that question, we must look to the middle of Psalms 6: "Turn, O Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love." (Ps 6:4 NIV)

Here, in vs. 4, we find that the writer is not content to just sit back and complain about his problems. Instead, he does something positive: He gives his problems to the Lord! And when he does so, hope is regained, he becomes victorious!

Friends, whenever we are faced with problems and various trials, we always have two choices: We can let them defeat us, or we can be victorious.

When we adapt the "defeatist" mentality, then we become "worn out from groaning", "faint", "in agony" and "weak with sorrow", and it is interesting that this is so often the human tendency!

But there is another choice! We can be victorious! We can stand up and say, like the writer of Ps. 6: "Away from me, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping. The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer. All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace"!

And when we do, we can rise up in victory!

Doesn't Jesus tell us, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matt 11:28-29 NIV)?

Aren't we told: "But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Cor 15:57 NIV)?

Isn't it recommended that we: "... stand firm. Let nothing move you ..." (1 Cor 15:58 NIV)?

Then why do we continue to live in defeat?

Let's rise my, my friends! Let's claim our victory in Jesus! Let's say like David, "Away from me, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping. The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer. All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace"!

God bless each of you as you take your victorious stand in Christ! I can guarantee you despite whatever problem you are going through at the moment, you will not only have peace of mind and heard, but you can be assured that your victory is on the way!

This is the last lesson in VICTORY IN TROUBLES. If you have missed any of the former lessons, please find them published online by clicking here, or email me here. May God bless you abundantly as you claim victory over whatever situation you find yourself in at the moment!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.
Announcements:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 24 Aug 2012, 8:20 pm

Welcome to the Nugget August 23, 2012
TORN NETS By Answers2Prayer

"As He went a little farther, He saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending their nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father in the boat with the hired men, and followed Him" (Mark 1:19-20)

Three little words in that passage caught me: mending their nets. I pondered what the heart condition of someone mending their nets would be, and if that had anything to do with the immediacy of their response. Mending nets implies that there is a hole, perhaps a hole that cost them their catch. Maybe they are ready for a change, and Jesus, knowing all, waited until He knew they were ready to follow Him.

Meeting a friend for coffee the other day, I spied a pregnancy test kit laying along the edge of the parking lot.

I started to step over it, but was struck by the passage from Mark, and considered that this was a picture of someone mending their nets, someone desperate enough to leave the box in the gutter. In the same way I almost stepped over the box, how often do I step around those who are mending their nets? People waiting to hear Jesus calling to them are all around us.

A person in the process of starting over, whether it was their choice or not, has a hole in their net. Divorce can shake you to the core, forcing you to evaluate who you are, what you want, and even if anyone will ever want you again. A perfect time to hear the call of Christ, who will never leave or forsake you.

Job loss is at near epidemic proportions, bringing with it a culture of fear and desperation. What better time to hear that the Bible says 366 times Do Not Fear?

When we hear someone saying "I don't know how I will get through_______________", we who know the truth need to point them to Jesus. Jesus, who alone is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. We don't need to have all the answers of how to solve their problem, which is something I struggle with. Maybe God has allowed the very event they are mourning to be their time of "net mending."

Maybe it is your voice He is wanting to use to say to them, "Come, follow Me."

I am praying that God open all of our eyes to the torn, dirty nets that surround us. May we have the courage to invite them to meet Jesus.

Debbie Giese
Revealing the hope of Christ in everyday life, please visit my website.

Announcements:
Ever wonder about the Priestly roll of the Lord, Jesus Christ? What is its importance, and how does it compare to the Levitical priesthood? Check out the mini-series, OF INDY, COMMUNITY AND THE ALMIGHTY, by clicking here.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:57 am

Welcome to the Nugget August 21, 2012
A LETTER FROM JESUS By Answers2Prayer

My son, My daughter, My child I love you with an everlasting love. You are so precious to Me. Before you were conceived in your mother's womb, I thought of you. When I wanted you to have life, I breathed life through your nostrils and you became a person, a human being ready to serve Me and My people.

My children, please let Me be a part of everything that you do and are, from the smallest to the greatest decision in your life. Please don't try to hide anything from Me. I know everything about you and if there is anything that is hurting you, I want to heal you and make you well again, whether it be physical, mental, emotional or spiritual. If you have done anything wrong or sinned against Me, please repent and I will forgive you and then we can have fellowship again.

As the Father is in Me, and I am in the Father, so please remain in Me and be rooted in the vine and then you will bear much fruit and everyone will see that you are My Disciples. I am your Shepherd and I want to be your friend and with Me you lack nothing. Please depend on Me for everything. I want you to become less so that I can become greater in you or in other words let go and let God take complete control of the reins of your life.

My children, do not be afraid of Me, trust in Me completely. I promise you that if you are My friends that I will never leave you or forsake you. Even if trial, tribulation or sickness comes your way, I permit it to happen for your good as I do nothing in vain, as I know what I am about. Everything works out for good for those who trust in Jesus. I will never allow you to experience anything painful beyond what you are able to cope with and I will always be there to help you with it if you come to Me.

My children, I want you to please give Me all of yourselves. Renounce yourselves, take up your crosses and follow Me. You are the Temple of the Holy Spirit. Yes you have to look after yourselves and be responsible for how you think, speak and act but don't live to satisfy your selfish ambitions and don't put yourself first before Me, but put Me in first place and live for Me and serve My people. Love to serve rather than be served.

Let the Holy Spirit, melt you, mold you, fill you, use you and transform you into the people that you were called to be. My children please love Me with all your heart, soul and mind and strength and love your neighbor as I have loved you. Do unto others as you would like them do unto you and if you persevere till the end of your life in total obedience to Me, you will have eternal life full of happiness with Me forever. I love you My children, please depend on Me and you will never be disappointed. Let Me be your only Teacher and I will show you the way to eternal life, for I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.
By Dominic and Marie-Helene Bradshaw

Announcements:
Are you ever tempted to think that your sin has no consequence? After all, Jesus forgave ALL our sins! Even that one little time when we knew better, but it anyway! What could be the harm? Check out LESSONS FROM DAVID'S FALL, a mini-series designed to help us understand that EACH and EVERY ONE of our actions have a profound affect, not only on our own lives, but on the lives of thousands of others around us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next