World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests

Admin

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Open letter Jewish COLLEGE STUDENTS
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyToday at 9:42 pm by Admin

» Historic Milestone Saudi Arabia-Israel stability
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyToday at 9:08 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyToday at 5:36 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyToday at 5:19 pm by Admin

» PRO TRUTH of Israel what Pro PA want
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyToday at 4:59 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyToday at 4:19 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:56 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:44 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:19 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:05 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Admin

» iNSPIRATIONAL DEVOTION Israel
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 10:38 pm by Admin

» THE FREE PRESS
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 5:52 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:40 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:37 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:24 pm by Admin

» Jewish History~ WHO DOES IT BELONG TO
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:22 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 4:22 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 EmptyYesterday at 3:33 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley

Page 12 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 39  Next

Go down

Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 Empty Re: Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley

Post  Admin Tue 01 Mar 2016, 8:48 pm

Doulos Meditation on Jeremiah 2:13

Scripture: Jeremiah 2:13—for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living water, and dug out cisterns for themselves, cracked cisterns that can hold no water.

Reflection: Jeremiah’s message shortly before the fall of the Southern Kingdom of Judah identified the cause of their downfall as sin. He pictured sin as having a two fold character: they first forsook God and then tried to generate their own success and righteousness. It always works that way. 

This is the process of our time as well. The pendulum swings away from God and toward sin. We banish God and see rises in crime, immorality and inner futility. We are frustrated, angry, defiant and arrogant. There are two steps in any sin—breaking it off with God and proceeding to do what I want. I cannot stay united with the Spirit of God and sin. I cannot depart from that Spirit and remain holy. Jeremiah saw it clearly—freedom from God means slavery in sin. 

Prayer Starter: Father, make us one with you and free from sin. Destroy our tendency to cut you out of our lives and do our own thing. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley - Page 12 Empty Re: Doulos International ~ Robert Barkley

Post  Admin Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:05 pm

Doulos Meditation on 1 Chronicles 19:2b-3

Scripture: 1 Chronicles 19:2b-3—When David’s servants came to Hanun in the land of the Ammonites, to console him, the officials of the Ammonites said to Hanun, Do you think because David has sent consolers to you, that he is honoring your father? Have not his servants come to you to search and to overthrow and to spy out the land?

Reflection: Way toward the top of the list of sins must be recorded the wide spread practice of judging the motives of others and its twin, polluting the minds of others with our unfounded suspicions. King David wanted to maintain good relations with the Ammonites. King Nahash had died and David sent an embassy to his son the new King Hanun.

We will excuse Hanun on the ground of immaturity and inexperience. He listened to his advisors (a major mistake here) who for reasons of their own wanted to manipulate the new king. They attacked without cause King David’s motives. They were small men, playing politics with the kingdom, inventing lies about things they could not know, and dragging the young Hanun into ruin. Change the names and we have a story repeated in every corporation, each government administration, and, alas, churches aplenty.

Prayer Starter: Father, give authorities deep insights into the advice they receive from subordinates. And give subordinates the wisdom and honesty to tell the truth and give valid advice, untainted by personal agendas. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 28 Feb 2016, 7:11 pm

Doulos Meditation on John 3:19

Scripture: John 3:19—And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil.

Reflection: Many churches are shrouded with a slippery secrecy—they have people who gossip, complain and comment “They say…” or “No one likes…” and when you ask them who they are speaking about, they say “I can’t tell you.” These same people in leader positions give public explanations that disguise their private agendas. They don’t like someone’s beliefs, or marital status, or skin color, or teaching—but instead of praying for and with this person and discussing openly, they shun and isolate, making them feel not welcome until they drift away. They are obsessed with control and uniformity and quench any bit of light that might shine on their own embarrassing sins.

My friend says that when you shine the light in the basement, the rats will run for cover. The hidden evils of the church are kept out of sight. We don’t want all that piercing light showing up the hypocrisy, dishonesty, and manipulation that is done under the guise of piety. It is no wonder we love the darkness.

Prayer Starter: Lord God, cleanse the churches of secret sins. Destroy those false disciples who pretend to serve you but secretly worship themselves. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 28 Feb 2016, 1:31 am

Doulos Meditation on Mark 11:18

Scripture: Mark 11:18…they kept looking for a way to kill him; for they were afraid of him, because the whole crowd was spellbound by his teaching.

Reflection: Only rarely have I had a teacher I would call “spellbinding.” I have had several that were boring, self centered and uninspiring. If I could only identify what it was about Jesus that made his teaching so attractive maybe I could win my neighbor to Christ, dialog with a real teenager; or get along with my wife.

Let’s reverse the question. What is there about my message bores people? Let’s see—I talk about my interests; express my opinions; repeat myself over and over as though my listener was mentally defective; insist that my view be heard but ignore opposing views; talk more than listen; impose my rules on others; give perfunctory answers of the dullest traditional kind. I wish I knew what Jesus had. Was it his absolute faith; power from God; the Holy Spirit’s leading; love for others; complete surrender to the commission of God; abdication of self; all night prayer vigils; total focus on doing the will of the Father? But be warned, if you find the answer, some people will look for a way to kill you. 

Prayer Starter: God Almighty, we are fascinated with your beauty and wisdom and power. Show us how to share with others the marvelous message that grips our souls. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm

Doulos Meditation on 1 Samuel 16:18 

Scripture: 1 Samuel 16:18—One of the young men answered, “I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a warrior, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence; and the LORD is with him.”

Reflection: Saul was looking for someone to play music for him. In David he found a young man who (in our modern double-talk) was “overqualified.” Besides being skillful in playing the lyre, he had leadership makings. Do you see things in David that are still being written about in modern leadership books?

He was a man of valor. Has there ever been an effective leader who was cowardly and refused to engage the opposition? He was a warrior—not a killer, assassin or man of treachery—but one who would fight. Give him a cause and place him in the presence of an enemy and he would wage war. David was not a rough riding bully—he was prudent in speech. In those days (and ours?) this meant knowing when to speak and when to remain silent. It involved respect and courtesy. He had a good “presence,” handling himself like a man of breeding. Was the LORD with him because of all these qualifications? Or do you think these things were his because God was grooming him for greatness?

Prayer Starter:  Father, we thank you that you raise up leaders like David and shape them for your service. And, Lord, thank you for your scriptures that record for all time your dealings with such men and women. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:37 pm

Doulos Meditation on Hebrews 5:14 (#6 of 7)

#6 of 7 Meditations on Hebrews 5:14.

Scripture: Hebrews 5:14 …to distinguish good from evil. (vid. Matt 7:21-23)

Reflection: The people who look to law and rules of their tradition struggle to understand good and evil but can never do so. They argue about commands and prohibitions. Their world centers not on Jesus but on their own casuistic interpretations of scripture and history. Alas. They only see form but never experience power.

Here is Jesus’ bottom line---if it is God’s will performed in and through me it is good, no matter how nasty, painful, or misunderstood it may appear. If it is not God’s will, it is evil, no matter how good, modern, shiny, profitable, or holy it appears. Crucifixion of our conditioning lies at in the foreground of our salvation. Born from above and nourished by God, the practicing believer is freed from fleshly judging. He prays “thy will be done” on earth—in me—at this time—every day—for your glory. Speak to me, Lord, your servant is listening.

Prayer Starter: Lord of Hosts, your messengers fly to do your bidding and the whole world of living creatures and inanimate matter obeys your will. We humans alone to whom you entrusted the power of will are estranged from you in our rebellion. Have mercy, O Lord. Amen. 

Doulos Meditation for July 31

#7 of 7 Meditations on Hebrews 5:14.

Scripture: Heb 5:14 (NRSV) But solid food is for the mature, for those whose faculties have been trained by practice to distinguish good from evil. 

Reflection: Years ago I invented what (for me) has been a useful theological term. (It hasn’t been picked up by any real theologians yet—I understand Rodney Daingerfield’s complaint about getting no respect.) The term is “holy indifference.”

I mean that if I am holy (that is, surrendered to death in the cross of Jesus and God has given me new birth from above) then I have a new freedom I call indifference. It’s a great feeling. I can look at all the denominational nitpicking in religion and say “I don’t care.” In my relationship with God I say, “If you want me here—that’s okay—I don’t care” or “you want me to go there—that’s okay too—I don’t care.” No longer am I the tortured believer who cares—this hotel is not comfortable enough—this guy needs a bath—the sermon is too long—it’s not in the budget—these people do it wrong—this would mean giving up my football night (or job or supper or you fill in the blank). God feeds me his nourishment as I practice my faith in this world. Only His will matters and that defines all else as either good or bad. Of course, I get jumped on by people who react negatively to my theological term—but that’s alright—I don’t care.  

Prayer Starter: Father, we bless your name and seek for full surrender so that in all things we can say “Thy will be done” and to all the rest “I don’t care.” Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:25 pm

Doulos Meditation on Hebrews 5:14 (#4 of 7)

#4 of 7 Meditations on Hebrews 5:14.

Scripture: Hebrews 5:14b—trained by practice to distinguish good from evil…

Reflection: How do you become a true connoisseur of barbeque? (or French escargot or Szechuan Chicken or expensive wines)  That’s right—you consume a lot of it—many times for many years. You develop educated taste buds and culinary discernment.

This marks the difference between the arm chair Christian and the practicing hands-on believer. The former knows the “answers,” the latter understands the meaning of the answers. Can you distinguish between good and evil even when they are disguised? Is all pain bad—all pleasure good? Is exerting called for or backing off? Can it look good and be evil? Are all questions black and white? Does it really matter? A Christian called and commissioned by God is guided by the Holy Spirit. He gains insight and wisdom in the process, coming to understand God, sin, time and eternity, the truly good and truly evil—and he sees beneath the surface of things. 

Prayer Starter: Father, let us look on every day as a field trip through life with you in the lead. Point out to us the beautiful vistas and the dangerous pitfalls. Change our faith from theory to practice for your glory and your sake. Amen.

Doulos Meditation on Hebrews 5:14 (#5 of 7)

#5 of 7 Meditations on Hebrews 5:14.

Scripture: Hebrews 5:14—to distinguish good from evil. (vid. Matt 7:21-23)

Reflection: How do you know what is good and bad? Be careful—the glib answer “The bible says so…” is usually a dodge meaning “What I want that I can scrounge up some verse in the bible to support.” Jesus confronted the human definition of the good. How would you classify doing mighty works in Jesus’ name; or prophesying; or casting out demons? Is this stuff good or bad? I have asked audiences the question many times. The response is always “good.” 

I then lay on them the punch line. Jesus called these things evil. Whoa—we’ve got a problem here. Should this give us concern when we do things that look good? New church buildings—worship forms—tradition—“our position”—“the issues”—Sunday School—church growth—powerful sermons—good or bad? Be very careful. Good and bad can never be defined by appearances. Those nourished by the Spirit, having their faculties trained by practice in the hands on world of living for Jesus can authentically distinguish the good and the evil.

Prayer Starter: Father, raise our people from their slumber and teach them to interact with your world. Nourish us as we go about doing your will. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 21 Feb 2016, 9:34 pm

Doulos Meditation on Hebrews 5:14 (#3 of 7)

#3 of 7 Meditations on Hebrews 5:14.

Scripture: Heb 5:14b—for those whose faculties have been trained by practice…

Reflection: Nutritious lessons of God’s Spirit energize and grow the man of God, but they are not all easy to swallow. How about forgiving your enemies or refraining from cursing? Giving up your favorite addiction? Doing to others what you want them to do to you? This stuff doesn’t come easy—it has to be chewed. Bite—and chew well. You’ll grow in forgiveness, self control, freedom, and love.

The person believing spiritual growth is just studying the bible so he will know more than others is deluded. He spends a lifetime studying the menu without tasting the food. It’s the person who goes out into the workplace, school, or athletic field and puts his efforts where his bookmarker has been that finds the real nutrition. Go taste it all—our world of mountains and streams, disasters and poverty, opportunities for service and high costs of discipleship. “Taste and see that the Lord is good…” Real faith does more than just read the menu. 

Prayer Starter: Father, reveal yourself to us and feed us with your gracious will that we may become the people you intend us to be. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 20 Feb 2016, 11:31 pm

Doulos Meditation on Hebrews 5:14 (#2 of 7)

#2 of 7 Meditations on Hebrews 5:14.

Scripture: Hebrews 5:14--But solid food is for the mature…

Reflection: Food for adults is spicy, containing the wistful tang of disappointment, the bitterness of defeat, the aroma of lust, the crunchiness of conundrums, and the sweetness of self deception. The man of God brings the good and bad of life and lays it all out before God. He prostrates himself in prayer, he meditates on scripture, he adores and praises. Handled thusly, all these ingredients are sorted out and formed by God into a nutritious blend that under the aegis of the Holy Spirit increases in us the wisdom, power, and insight God wants us to have.

Without God’s Spirit as the Master Chef, a man simply nibbles at life but often the taste left in his mouth is unpleasant and he may succumb eventually to the poisonous bits that looked like delicious morsels at first. Every moment of life surrendered to God, provides us with spiritual nutrition that God’s Spirit can use to grow us into the image of Christ—into true maturity. 

Prayer Starter: Father, you are the source of our spiritual food. Teach us the importance of spiritual nutrition to spiritual growth. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 20 Feb 2016, 12:19 am

Doulos Meditation on Hebrews 5:14 (#1 of 7)

#1 of 7 Meditations on Hebrews 5:14.

Scripture: Heb 5:14 (NRSV) But solid food is for the mature, for those whose faculties have been trained by practice to distinguish good from evil. 

Reflection: As we grow, our eating procedure and the form of our food changes. Like baby food, adult food is made of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins but changed is the form and presentation—it must be chewed. Baby food requires little effort to utilize—and someone is always there to spoon-feed the baby. A baby sucks and eats almost by reflex—not so much as a result of deliberate thought and intent. Being mature involves us in purposeful spiritual nutrition.

Spiritual food for the toddler may be a picture of Jesus healing the blind man, a Sunday School song and sharing a snack. The adult version may be dealing with your angry teenager, foregoing a quiet evening at home to help your neighbor with his car, or buying a hamburger for a transient. Chewing for adults involves prayer, struggle against temptation, dealing with conscience, and trusting God even when it is not comfortable. Only through this direct contact with the world of lostness can God’s food be ingested. Jesus said, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me…” It is nutrition of the stoutest kind.

Prayer Starter: Father, we are the sheep of your pasture and we look to you for our food and protection and guidance. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:30 pm

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#10 of 10)

#10 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.

Scripture: Psalm 103: 21, 22—Bless the LORD, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will. Bless the LORD, all his works, in all places of his dominion. Bless the LORD, O my soul.

Reflection: Notice that the Psalm begins and ends with the same phrase. The song began within my own soul and reached out to “all places of his dominion;” but it returned to its starting point in me. There’s some clue to our salvation here—blessing the Lord is not initiative, it is reaction and response. We praise God and glorify him, constrained to do so by the soul he constructs within us.

But the response is an internal one. Naturally, it overflows in prayer and liturgy; in obedience to the “spoken word;” in manners and decorum; in kindness to others; in expressions of steadfast love. But all are internal to my soul with its will, intellect and emotions, as I surrender my will to him, perceive his revelation in mighty works and words and love the Lord my God with all my heart.

Prayer Starter: Father you are the sovereign King of our lives. Receive now those who cry Bless the LORD, O my soul.  In the name of Jesus our savior, Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 17 Feb 2016, 11:55 pm

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#8 of 10)
#8 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.
Scripture: Psalm 103:15, 17—As for mortals, their days are like grass…But the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting…
Reflection: No contrast in the world is greater than the difference between God and man. Seeing it brings blessings. It is in recognizing our limitations we reach for the limitless God; in confessing our sins we come to know the holy God; in understanding our transience we trust the eternal God. Grass is a common symbol for human frailty and mortality. The rich man in James 1:11 is said to be like grass which “withers in the field” and “its beauty perishes…in the midst of a busy life, they will wither away.” Peter writes “All flesh is like grass…but the world of the Lord endures forever.” (1 Peter 1:24f)
God’s love is intrinsic to his nature, not something added on. “God is love…” wrote John. That “steadfast love” (common Old Testament word) points to love that is as eternal as the God in whom it resides. 
Prayer Starter: Dear God, you have loved us out of that eternal loving nature that is yours. May we love you in return with pure hearts and everlasting gratitude. Amen. 

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#9 of 10)

#9 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.
Scripture: Psalm 103:19—The LORD has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all. Bless the LORD, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, obedient to his spoken word.
Reflection: Jesus spoke of the kingdom of God “near you,” “in your midst” and taught us to pray, “Thy kingdom come…” This term in ancient Hebrew thought was a verbal idea of being and action more than a symbol for some static object. Jesus said to confused people, “My kingdom is not of this world” (i.e. an object of matter/energy and time/space).
God is eternally sovereign; reigning forever. His kingdom is open to those “who do his bidding, obedient to his spoken word.” In Jesus we saw one perfectly doing the King’s bidding. Jesus in his ministry did not begin a kingdom, but brought the eternal kingdom close; materialized it before our eyes; planted it in our hearts. The concept of kingdom is still a battleground for people who deceive themselves into thinking they have God and his kingdom figured out. It is not so great a problem to those who prostrate themselves saying “Jesus is Lord!” “Thy kingdom come!”
Prayer Starter: Our Sovereign Lord, reign in us your willing servants that your glory might be seen in all the earth as it is in the eternal heavens. Amen. 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:07 am

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#7 of 10)

#7 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.

Scripture: Psalm 103: 14—For he knows how we were made; he remembers that we are dust.

Reflection: I need not fear telling God what it’s like being human, or confessing to him my own weakness and sins. He will never misunderstand because he remembers our history and knows our inner structure. His intent is for us to rely on Him. He made us to be the sheep of his pasture.

God is patient and kind with his creation. We can rest assured that he knows us in our weakness and mortality far better than we know ourselves. In surrendering ourselves to him, we assume a relationship that is natural, healthy, and joyous. It is the very relationship for which we were created. We are but dust—mortal, weak, short sighted, and sinful. But our God is Almighty, rich, loving and giving. That’s the way the universe is structured. The believer does not pretend to be a super hero, or a self-made man, or sufficient in any way. Instead, he accepts his inadequacies and his dependence upon God. He knows himself and God and knows God knows himself. It is as it should be. 

Prayer Starter: Search us and know us, Father. For you created us from the dust of the earth and lifted us up and made us in your image. We praise you. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:37 am

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#6 of 10)

#6 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.

Scripture: Psalm 103: 11—For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far he removes our transgressions from us.

Reflection: Nothing in our faith is more profound than the love of God. Not until we read “For God so loved the world that he gave his only son…” and are overwhelmed with grief and gratitude are we beginning to understand our God. It is not through scholarship, ritual, sentiment, morality, preaching or theology that we connect with God. It is through encounter with Divine love.   

This explains a few things—like why God has put up with us all these years, sending multiple messengers with prophetic words; why his only Son became incarnate and died on a cross; why he appeals to human hearts in every generation. He loves us with steadfast love of the divine kind—infinite, unrelenting, steady, rich, loyal, caring, patient, hopeful, compassionate, correcting, zealous and jealous. It is no ordinary love. He is no ordinary God.  

Prayer Starter: Dear Father, we love you. Hold us close and let us experience your love on this earth as in heaven. Let your love overflow to our neighbor, fellow believer, the poor and handicapped and yes, even our enemies. Let us love as you have loved us. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 14 Feb 2016, 12:15 am

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#4 of 10)

#4 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.

Scripture: Psalm 103:6—The LORD works vindication and justice for all who are oppressed.

Reflection: The psalm reminds us that God is judge and will in his own time sort things out according to his own just nature. Bible writers warned against taking vengeance into our own hands, but to have confidence that God will ultimately deal with oppression. Nowhere does God promise the believer the removal of his problems or an exemption from suffering. The promise is, rather, that God will strengthen and sustain his people, ultimately bringing oppressors to justice.

Tyranny has always caused misery and hardship. The victims of ruthless people have always been the weak, the humble, the God fearer, the poor and the handicapped. It has always been, but will not always be. The God of perfect justice is in control, whatever the present circumstances appear to be. We have God’s promise on that.

Prayer Starter: God of justice, we praise you and look to you for vindication when we are unjustly persecuted. Keep us from bitterness and vengeance. Amen.

Doulos Meditation for July 19 (#5 of 10)

#5 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.

Scripture: Psalm 103:10—He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities.

Reflection: God is perfectly just, but he is also merciful. This is a paradox. How can he be both just and merciful? Much of the content of Romans in the New Testament deals with this conundrum.

As a sinner, I cannot afford justice—yet God is infinitely just. The wages of sin is death and there are no exemptions. Here’s the secret—He has borne the consequences of our sin himself. Justice has been served, but I did not have to bear the penalty. This paradox is throughout scripture. God is not only law giver, but law keeper; not only sovereign but servant; not only covenant maker but covenant keeper. He requires sacrifice but he has provided the sacrifice. He is the one to whom we pray; but he is the one in us who brings us to prayer. 

Prayer Starter: O Father, in your mercy you have saved us from the consequences of our sins; not by ignoring them, but by dealing with them through the atoning death of Jesus. Thank you for your great mercy. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 11 Feb 2016, 8:50 pm

Doulos Meditation On Psalm 103 (#3 of 10)

#3 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.

Scripture: Psalm 103: 2—Bless the LORD, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits—forgives all your iniquity…heals….redeems….crowns you with steadfast love and mercy…satisfies you with good as long as you live so that  your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Reflection: Two types fail with God—some fail to see the good while others acknowledge the good things around them but fail to see where they come from. The former group simply takes everything for granted, assuming we always have water, air, health, food, medicines, and jobs. Contrast the man of faith who counts his blessings in astonishment and says “Bless the LORD, O my soul…”

The second person knows good things when he sees them—life, liberty, happiness, nice homes and good clothes—but takes the credit for satisfying his own needs through his own intelligence and hard work. Contrast the man of faith who knows in his heart that these things flow from a source greater than himself—from God Almighty the giver of every good gift, large and small, visible and invisible. He bows in the Presence and says, “Bless the LORD, O my soul…”

Prayer Starter: Father, you have blessed us in a thousand ways and lifted us up. Open our eyes to your blessings that we may see the good gifts you bestow and never let us forget where these things come from but be grateful to you. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:18 pm

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#2 of 10)

#2 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103

Scripture: Psalm 103:1—Bless the LORD, O my soul…

Reflection: Blessing is a double sided word. We use it to speak of God’s gifts. He blesses our lives a thousand ways and all of our days. Yet the same word in scripture speaks of something we do before God. We bless his holy name.

These are related, but they are obviously not the same. God blesses out of his power and goodness. He gives what we need and he has. But when we speak of blessing God, we cannot mean giving him anything. We have nothing intrinsic to us that is not his already. “Nothing in my hand I bring…” the old hymn intones. God does not need of anything I have, but my blessing God is a matter of recognizing his gifts. I bless when I praise. I am acknowledging God’s blessings, not generating something I can give him. I am caught up in gratitude and I express this in heartfelt response that says “bless the Lord, O my soul.”

Prayer Starter: Father, we bless your name and praise you for your gifts of grace that have been bounteously bestowed on each of us. Teach us to honor you in all we say or do. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 09 Feb 2016, 8:40 pm

Doulos Meditation on Psalm 103 (#1 of 10)

#1 of 10 Meditations on Psalm 103.

Scripture: Psalm 103:1—Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

Reflection: Worship is not external actions of standing, sitting, speaking a prayer or sermon, eating bread or drinking wine in communion. We casually call these worship and this is okay, but the essence of the worship is what is going on inside the hearts and minds of the participants. The externals are only the expressions of these feelings and thoughts—the things we can observe.

The Psalm addresses inwardness. Our inner soul responds to the moving of God within us. Our wills are laid before God (“Thy will be done”), our thoughts and intellects marvel as we perceive the God we praise; our total complex of feelings flow outward as we rejoice, weep, shout or bow before God. These are all soul things—the will, the mind with its thoughts, the feelings and emotions. And it is all these intangible things that engage when we respond to God’s presence. Seeing this, we will not confuse “going through the motions” of song, prayer, or communion with the soul that worships within.

Prayer Starter: Lord, give rise in us to the praise that befits your glorious presence and divine actions in our world. Touch our souls within and elicit from us the adoration of our hearts that you desire. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:00 pm

Doulos Meditation on Joppa (#7 of 7)

#7 of 7 Meditations on Joppa.

Scripture: Acts 10:44—While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard the word. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astounded…gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles…

Reflection: God’s Spirit brings about the changes in our lives—the “new birth” that transforms our internal spiritual existence from death to life; enabling that causes obedience to the word of God; remodeling of our identities into the “image of Christ”; forgiveness of our sins and the sanctification of our lives; the astounding of those around us who see us changed but never thought it possible.

To these believers in Caesarea came miraculous enhancements such as speaking in new languages the praises of God. The beginnings of Gentile Christianity were marked by exciting and powerful events. It all began in a nothing town named Joppa in the house of a degenerate Jew named Simon by way of a reluctant apostle restricted in his thinking but willing to obey the Spirit when he called.  It was a pivotal point in the earliest history of the church.

Prayer Starter: Thank you, father, for the gift of your Holy Spirit, freely given by a loving God to believers of every race, gender, in all times for all eternity. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:05 pm

Doulos Meditation on Joppa (#6 of 7)

#6 of 7 Meditations on Joppa.

Scripture: Acts 10:34—Then Peter began to speak to them: I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

Reflection: I am wondering if our “partiality” is not our most prevalent sin. Who do you prefer—the rich; people who take baths and live in the better parts of town; whose skin is the same color as yours; who speak English; have the same sexual views as you; are part of the same kind of church as you? Hmmm. Are you and God so radically different? Is that a good sign?

Christianity began as a chick under the wing of Judaism. To Jewish faith, history, and tradition all of us owe an incalculable debt. But the message of Jesus grew bigger than its mother and went venturing into the wide world. It is the flower of Judaism; the summation of the hopes of Israel and the Messianic kingdom. All that Judaism ever meant finds it consummation in Christianity. With Cornelius and Peter, it overflowed the pot of Israel and began to water the whole world.

Prayer Starter: Father, Thank you for Jewish faith and tradition. Thank you that the Gospel leaped the boundaries of Judaism and spread throughout the whole world. Lord, bring our Jewish brothers whom we love to faith in Jesus. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 06 Feb 2016, 11:22 pm

Doulos Meditation on Joppa (#6 of 7)

#6 of 7 Meditations on Joppa

Scripture: Acts 10:34—Then Peter began to speak to them: I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

Reflection: I am wondering if our “partiality” is not our most prevalent sin. Who do you prefer—the rich; people who take baths and live in the better parts of town; whose skin is the same color as yours; who speak English; have the same sexual views as you; are part of the same kind of church as you? Hmmm. Are you and God so radically different? Is that a good sign?

Christianity began as a chick under the wing of Judaism. To Jewish faith, history, and tradition all of us owe an incalculable debt. But the message of Jesus grew bigger than its mother and went venturing into the wide world. It is the flower of Judaism; the summation of the hopes of Israel and the Messianic kingdom. All that Judaism ever meant finds it consummation in Christianity. With Cornelius and Peter, it overflowed the pot of Israel and began to water the whole world.

Prayer Starter: Father, Thank you for Jewish faith and tradition. Thank you that the Gospel leaped the boundaries of Judaism and spread throughout the whole world. Lord, bring our Jewish brothers whom we love to faith in Jesus. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 05 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm

Doulos Meditation on Joppa (#4 of 7)

#4 of 7 Meditations on Joppa.

Scripture: Acts 10:14, 15—But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is profane or unclean.” The voice said to him again, a second time, “What God has made clean, you must not call profane.”

Reflection: Peter saw a vision while napping on the roof-top. A “sheet” let down from heaven contained all kinds of animals Jews considered “unclean.” Peter was told to “kill and eat” and he protested. This is remarkable. He has the audacity to object to a command of God because of his upbringing and the teaching of his tradition. The regulations of the Jewish religious establishment became the “laws” by which religious Jews lived.

Are there times when the teachings of your denomination, preacher, or family over-ride the leading of the Spirit? Do people specialize in pronouncing clean or unclean, i.e. permitted or forbidden? Are there people your church fellowship doesn’t want to include? Are there people who already have their minds made up, so no vision, prayer, revelation or logic can reach them? Do you know people whose religion is doctrinaire, petrified and unchangeable?

Prayer Starter: Father, make us sensitive to your voice in all things, making your will the bottom line of all bottom lines. Destroy our prejudices and pre formed conclusions. Make us listeners with humble hearts and ready hands. Amen.

Doulos Meditation on Joppa (#5 of 7)

#5 of 7 Meditations on Joppa.

Scripture: Acts 10:19—While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Look, three men are searching for you. Now get up, go down, and go with them without hesitation; for I have sent them.”

Reflection: Isn’t it interesting that God’s Spirit leads someone of a different race, nationality, religion, and who is not at all a partisan of the “right way”, the way we do things, the temple and the sacrifices we Jews associate with? How often do we (perhaps unconsciously) lay claim to the scriptures, the Spirit, and our tradition as our exclusive property and cannot tolerate any claim by someone who is not one of us?

The men who came for Peter had left home in Caesarea many hours before Peter had his vision. God’s chronology is not the same as ours. God prepares people to respond to his calling far in advance of their cooperation or conscious participation. But men of faith “go…without hesitation” wherever the Spirit leads. 

Prayer Starter: God, teach us that we are not the source of our religion, our faith, or our obedience; but that your Spirit leads us to do your will in all things. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 03 Feb 2016, 11:40 pm

Doulos Meditation on Joppa (#3 of 7)

#3 of 7 Meditations on Joppa.

Scripture: Acts 10:2, 4—He was a devout man who feared God with all his household; he gave alms generously to the people and prayed constantly to God…He stared at him in terror and said, “What is it, Lord?” He answered, “Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.”

Reflection: Narrow Judaism of the first century saw gentile nations as inferior and sinners, outside the pale of God’s dealings. They despised their Roman overlords; the military enforcing Roman dominance. Cornelius lived in Caesarea, a military headquarters north of Jaffa (most of two days away.)

He loved and responded to God. He did not “qualify” but found God through his faith. God cares for the unlikely and is not restricted by human opinions. God looks at hearts. Having the “correct” temple, ritual, sacrifice, and tradition did not make fundamentalist Pharisees righteous, but rather blinded them to the Gentiles whom God also loves. Cornelius is a pioneer of Gentile salvation.    

Prayer Starter: Father, thank you for outsiders of faith who love you from their hearts. Thank you for the story of Cornelius and his role in church history. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 02 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm

Doulos Meditation on Joppa (#1 of 7)

#1 of 7 Meditations on Joppa.

Scripture: Acts 9:36—In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas), who was always doing good and helping the poor.

Reflection: Peter visited the small villages of Lydda and Joppa. Tel Aviv, Israel ’s largest city did not exist, but the sites of both villages now lie within its suburbs. Lud International Airport derives its name from Lydda. Joppa, now called Jaffa , is the “old town” area next to the water of the south beach. It has gift shops and a nice little museum. Local boys fish from roof tops adjacent to the water.    

Peter traveled the coastal areas, preaching in little hamlets. In Joppa an exceptional Christian lady, famous for making clothes which she gave to the needy, died and friends came to Lydda to get Peter. He raised her from the dead, “and many people believed in the Lord.” The road from Jerusalem to the Mediterranean left the “Jaffa Gate” of Jerusalem and ended at the seaside in Joppa ( Jaffa ). It is the site of some interesting and important, but often overlooked events in the first decade of Church History. 

Prayer Starter: Father, Peter’s visit holds deep insights for us so distant from those little villages of long ago. Open our eyes and hearts to read deeply from your scriptures telling us about this remarkable time in the church’s life. Amen.  

Doulos Meditation for July 9

#2 of 7 Meditations on Joppa.

Scripture: Acts 9:43—Peter stayed in Joppa for some time with a tanner named Simon. Acts 10:32—Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.

Reflection: Scripture twice mentions Simon the Tanner as host to Simon Peter while Peter preached in Lydda and Joppa. Don’t you wish we had more biographical stuff about Peter? Here was an apostle to Jews careful to keep the law, eating only kosher foods and avoiding Gentile contamination going to Joppa and staying with a man classified as perpetually unclean. He was Jewish, perhaps, but his occupation put him in touch with dead animals every day and that meant he could not even enter the Temple or offer a sacrifice.

It was almost impossible for a guest to avoid the ceremonial contamination as well. Was he Peter’s best friend; or his first convert to Christ in Joppa; or was Peter making a statement about Jewish ceremonial laws?  Maybe Peter was struggling inside with the question of Jewish ceremonial cleanness. Something big was going on because it was on the roof of this house that Peter had the famous dream of clean and unclean animals and was told “Kill and eat.”

Prayer Starter: Father, we wrestle with thoughts about race, morality, conscience and obedience. We see growth in Peter’s life and we praise you for it. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:25 pm

Doulos Meditation on Deuteronomy 1:17

Scripture: Deuteronomy 1:17—Do not show partiality in judging; hear both small and great alike. Do not be afraid of any man, for judgment belongs to God. Bring me any case too hard for you, and I will hear it.

Reflection: As Israel prepared to leave the holy mount and cross the desert, Moses appointed some “leading men of your tribes, wise, understanding and respected men” to serve as judges and “commanders of thousands, hundreds, of fifties and tens.”

Leadership before God does not change. God’s leader was conscious that his “judgment,” (i.e. authority) came not from intelligence, power, or connections but that “judgment belongs to God.” Fearing God alone, he had no need to fear any man. His leadership would be weighed in the balance of justice and impartiality; or as Moses said, “hear both small and great alike.” These words are more than three millennia old; but as always “old” is not a synonym for out of date. They are still valid, modern, and the perfect remedy for this world’s leadership crises.       

Prayer Starter: Father, build in us the qualities that make for leadership in your kingdom; qualities of honesty, fairness, humility, and fearlessness in pursuing the tasks to which you call us and commission us. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 39  Next