World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 35 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Israel War UPDATE
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyToday at 12:25 am by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyToday at 12:08 am by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 11:23 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 11:19 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Admin

» SOROS Funds pro-terroist groups support of Hamas
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 10:57 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 10:31 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 10:00 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyYesterday at 7:57 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:29 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 9:19 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 6:38 pm by Admin

»  Biden again-China could start WW3
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:54 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:22 pm by Admin

» israelAM
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:10 pm by Admin

» The wonder Prophet of the OT
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm by Admin

» Barry Segal @ VFI News
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024, 11:15 pm by Admin

» Jews of Egypt
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024, 9:46 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). - Page 18 Empty Re: Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).

Post  Admin Sun 01 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm

DearlyBeloved,

OUR TIME ONEARTH IS BRIEF

“Our time onearth is brief; the number of our days is already decided by [God]” (Job 14:5CEV).

The death ofReverend Tunde Taiwo (1969-2015), the senior pastor of Zion Baptist Church,Ilorin, Nigeria, is another evidence that anybody can die at any time withoutprior notice. Here was a man who left the seminary where he was doing hispostgraduate study early in the day for a couples' retreat of pastors andinteracted with many pastor-colleagues before going back home late in thenight. He was awake still studying late that night when death struck him. Itwas a surprise to many people that saw him both at the seminary and the retreatearlier that day that somebody they interacted with some hours ago is dead. Hedied with many unfulfilled aspirations: aspirations for his life, aspirationsfor his wife, aspirations for his children, aspirations for his church andchurch members, aspirations for his country, aspirations for many people andthings.

Job, in hisanguish, lamented about the brevity of life. Hear him: “Life is short andsorrowful for every living soul. We are flowers that fade and shadows thatvanish.... Our time on earth is brief; the number of our days is alreadydecided by [God]” (Job 14:1-2, 5 CEV). Gone were the days when a person couldlive nearly for a thousand years like Methuselah (see Genesis 5:27). Hardly dopeople live up to a hundred years nowadays. Moses, in his psalm, was of theopinion that “We can expect seventy years, or maybe eighty, if we are healthy,but even our best years bring trouble and sorrow. Suddenly our time is up, andwe disappear” (Psalm 90:10 CEV). The bitter truth here is that regardless ofour aspirations and status, death can come at any time without warning. Inspite of this, God is not caught unaware about anyone’s death. 

If our lifeon earth is brief and death can come calling without prior notice, are youprepared to die? Someone has posited that we are not ready to live until we areprepared to die. If you die today, what will people say about you? Where willyou find yourself after death? Death is never the end of anyone’s life. Thereis life after death. The writer of the book to the Hebrews succinctly put it:“We die only once, and then we are judged” (Hebrews 9:27 CEV). For thisjudgement, see also Ecclesiastes 11:9; Romans 14:9-12; 1 Corinthians 4:5; 2Corinthians 5:10; 2 Timothy 4:1; Revelation 20:11-15. Our time here on earth isindeed brief, but, what kind of judgement will be your lot after death? 

In His service,

BayoAfolaranmi (Pastor).

NB

This messageis dedicated to late Reverend Oluwole Olatunde Taiwo (born on September 19,1969, died on February 21, 2015 and buried on February 26, 2015), the seniorpastor of Zion Baptist Church, Ilorin, Nigeria. May the Lord continue to upholdhis wife, children, church and other beloved that survived him.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:12 am

Dearly Beloved,

DOING THE RIGHT THING RIGHTLY

"[David] said to [the priests], ‘You are the heads of theLevitical families; you and your fellow Levites are to consecrate yourselvesand bring up the ark of the LORD, the God of Israel, to the place I haveprepared for it. It was because you, the Levites, did not bring it up the firsttime that the LORD our God broke out in anger against us. We did not enquire ofhim about how to do it in the prescribed way.’" (1 Chronicles 15:12-13NIV).

How often people do the right thing wrongly. Some do so out ofignorance. Some do so out of zeal. Others do so out of negligence. Eachinstance does not bring good and desired result in most cases. Rather, they allbring adverse effects on the doers and/or people around them. This was whathappened during the reign of David as the king of Israel. He was zealous forthe Lord in appreciation of what the Lord had done to him. So, he wanted tobring the ark of the Lord, the symbol of the presence of God, to his capitalcity. However, he did the right thing wrongly, and it cost the life of Uzzah, alayman that was recruited to guide the sacred object (see 1 Chronicles13:7-10). David later retraced his step: he recruited the priests that had beenset apart for that duty (see 1 Chronicles 15:11-15). The latter action wassuccessful because David did the right thing rightly.

No matter how a cause may be good, it has to be done rightly.This is the fact that most people that especially want to serve or worship Goddo not know. They think they can just serve Him anyhow. Some of them areignorant of the right way to serve Him. Some are too zealous to serve Him theright way, but they are not, even when they know the right way. Others areserving Him out of negligence because of their so-called familiarity with Him.

Have you realized that you can do the right thing wrongly? Thismay have an adverse effect on you and/or people around you. Therefore, what areyou doing presently? Are you doing it rightly? Are you worshipping God rightly?Peter said, "...And there is salvation in and through no one else, for thereis no other name under heaven given among men by and in which we must be saved[except the name of Jesus Christ]" (Acts 4: 10-12, AMP). Any act ofworship to God (no matter how good it is) that is not through Jesus Christ willlead to doom.

In His service,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 16 Feb 2015, 10:43 am

Dearly Beloved,

DO YOU LOVE ME?

“The third time [JesusChrist] said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter was hurtbecause Jesus asked him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ He said, ‘Lord, youknow all things; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said, ‘Feed my sheep’” (John21:17 NIV).

As a matter of fact,most of the followers of Jesus Christ were following Him because of what theycould get from Him (see John 6:26). No wonder, when it seemed to them that Histeaching was hard, many of them no longer followed Him (see John 6:60-66). Fromthat incident, it seemed His twelve disciples were different because they stoodby Him (verses 67-69). However, as Jesus Christ predicted, one of the Twelve -Judas Iscariot - betrayed Him (verse 70; 13:21-30; Luke 22:1-6, 47-48) and SimonPeter - the spokesperson of the disciples - denied Him trice (see Luke 22:54-62).This same Peter led some of the disciples to go back to their old professionafter the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ (see John 21:1-3). When JesusChrist appeared to them, He asked Peter that important question three times: “Doyou love me?” Peter was hurt that Jesus could ask him this question threetimes. Then, Jesus told him what was required of him if he truly loved Him: heshould act in favour of Jesus Christ, NOT in his (Peter’s) favour.

The Valentine’s Day forthis year has just been celebrated. Many people (especially men) asserted thatthey love some ladies. Most of such ladies have been used and dumped after suchassertion. The real meaning of the day (that is, sacrificial love asdemonstrated by some people that were coincidentally named Valentine betweenthird and fourth centuries AD that were killed because of their love-relatedactions) has been defeated. If anybody asserts that he or she loves you, youshould ask him or her again and again, “Do you really love me?” If he or sheanswers in the affirmative, then let him or her prove it by acting in YOURfavour. 

Jesus Christdemonstrated the real love by laying down His life for us. We also ought to dolikewise for our fellow human beings (cf. 1 John 3:16). Why are you followingJesus Christ? Is it not to get something from Him? Are you ready to reallysurrender your whole being to Him and do His biddings? Why do you love thatperson that you claim to love? True love is rooted in what a man or woman cangive, not what he or she can get from the object of his or her love.

Do you really love me? 

In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi(Pastor).
http://www.thewordthruthenet.org/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:50 pm

Dearly Beloved,

GIVE GOD THE GLORY!

"On an appointed day Herod, having put on his royalapparel, took his seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them.The people kept crying out, ‘The voice of a god and not of a man!’ Andimmediately an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give God theglory, and he was eaten by worms and died" (Acts 12:21-23 NASU).

King Herod Agrippa I who reigned between A.D. 37 and 44 died amysterious death. The writer of the book of Acts of the Apostles recorded hishistory in the twelfth chapter of the book. "The people of Tyre andSidon" were not in his good book (verse 20). Having secured the favour ofone his trusted servants, they sought for his audience to make peace with him.During the peace meeting, he delivered an address that made the people topraise him and even ascribe unto him the position of a god. The Bible says anangel of the Lord struck him because he, King Herod, did not return the praiseto God. He was eaten by worms and died (verses 21-23). An extra-biblicalaccount explained it better that "...he was immediately seized withviolent internal pains, and died five days after." His main offence wasthat he did not give God the glory. King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon was drivenout of his exalted position and ate grass like cattle for seven years becausehe did not give God the glory for his achievements (see Daniel 4:29-37).

Only God knows the number of people that have been struck by Himbecause of the offence of not giving Him the glory for what He has done intheir lives or what He has done in the lives of other people through them.Spiritual worms "are eating" such people presently, and they willsoon meet their Waterloo if they do not repent. The Lord says, "I am theLORD; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise toidols" (Isaiah 42:8 NIV). You have to know that "God opposes theproud but gives grace to the humble" (1 Peter 5:5 NIV).

In what ways have you been taking the glory of God in your life?Do you remember to return the glory unto Him when people give you such glory?Give God the glory! Let His blessings, not His curses, be yours. "To [God]be glory both now and for ever! Amen" (2 Peter 3:18 NIV).

In His service,

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. FOR TO ME, TO LIVE IS CHRIST AND TO DIE IS GAIN" (Philippians 1:20-21, NIV).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 03 Feb 2015, 10:02 pm

Dearly Beloved,

I MUST TELL JESUS

Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he willnever let the righteous fall†(Psalm 55:22 NIV).

The author of the hymn I MUST TELL JESUS Reverend ElishaAlbright Hoffman (1839-1929) was pastor of a church in Lebanon, Pennsylvania,United States, when he visited a woman who had gone through many sorrows andafflictions. The woman was discouraged because of her predicament. With heavyheart she asked Reverend Hoffman what she would do. Hoffman encouraged her fromthe word of God and concluded that she cannot do better than to take all of hersorrows to Jesus. The woman was for a moment seemed to be lost in meditation,then her eyes lighted as she exclaimed, Yes, I must tell Jesus.†As ReverendHoffman left her home, he was inspired to write the wordings of the hymn.

As the woman exclaimed, Hoffman re-echoed many times in thehymn, I must tell Jesus. You must tell Jesus about all your trials becauseyou cannot bear your burdens alone. Because He ever loves and cares for His ownHe will kindly help you in your distress. You must tell Jesus about all yourtroubles because He is a kind, compassionate Friend. He will surely deliver youif you ask Him, and quickly put an end to your troubles. The world may bealluring you to evil and tempting your heart to sin. You must tell Jesus, andHe will help you to have victory over the world and its temptations.

No matter the situation you are passing through, tell it toJesus. He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I willgive you rest†(Matthew 11:28 NIV). "If anyone is thirsty, let him come tome and drink†(John 7:37 NIV). You can see similar calls in Psalm 37:5; Isaiah50:10; 55:1-3; Jeremiah 33:3; Matthew 7:7-11; Luke 11:9-13; Philippians 4:6; 1Peter 5:7). 

This great hymn indeed reminds us of the need to rely on ourwonderful Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, in every situation and trial of life.I must tell Jesus!

In His service,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 25 Jan 2015, 11:41 pm

Dearly Beloved,

GOD OF IMPOSSIBILITIES?

Now to [God] who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above allthat we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be gloryin the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen (Ephesians 3:20-21 NKJV).

Some people in one of my BBM networks were surprised to see myBBM display message in that BBM network: "I serve God ofImpossibilities". They thought that it must be a mistake, and they calledmy attention to it. To them, God cannot be God of impossibilities. I tried toexplain that God is both God of possibilities and God of impossibilities. Tobuttress my point, I explained further that God is God of impossibilitiesbecause He specializes in turning impossibilities to possibilities. 

It is easy to accept God as God of possibilities because Henaturally does that every day. However, it is difficult to see Him as God ofimpossibilities because we hardly take note of His actions of turningimpossibilities to possibilities. There were many people in the Bible who alsofound it difficult to see God as God of impossibilities. Abraham and Sarah weretypical examples of such people. In Genesis 17, God promised Abraham that He would bless [Sarah] and also give [Abraham] a son by her... and she shall be amother of nations [and] kings of peoples shall be from her (verse16 NKJV).Abraham did not believe and even suggested a human possible way to accomplishsuch promise. However, the God of impossibilities assured Abraham that He wouldindeed do the impossibility through Sarah. In Genesis 18, God re-echoed thispromise. When Sarah overheard it, she also did not believe. God questionedAbraham for this: Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time Iwill return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son(verse 14 NKJV). At the very time God of impossibilities promised, He fulfilledHis promise and Sarah gave birth to a son at her old age.

You may read Numbers 11:18-23; 2 Kings 7:1-2; Matthew Mark10:23-27; 11:20-25; Luke 1:11-20, 26-38 to see other accounts of many otherpeople that find it difficult to believe the God of impossibilities in theBible. Look specifically at these Bible verses:

And the Lord said to Moses, Has the Lord's arm been shortened?Now you shall see whether what I say will happen to you or not (Numbers 11:23NKJV).

I know that [the LORD] can do everything (Job 42:2 NKJV).

Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earthby Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You (Jeremiah 32:17 NKJV).

But Jesus looked at them and said to them, With men this isimpossible, but with God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26 NKJV).

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me(Philippians 4:13 NKJV).

There are many real life stories apart from the biblicalaccounts that attest to the fact that God is not only the God ofimpossibilities, He is above every impossibility. In fact, to say that the GodI serve is God of impossibilities is an understatement. He is the God thatrules over every impossibility of life. He willingly turns impossibilities topossibilities every day. He will do the impossible in your life this year inJesus name. Amen. 

In His service,

Prayer Point: Lord, you specialize in turning impossibilities topossibilities. Do the seemingly impossible in my life in Jesus name. Amen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:52 pm

Dearly Beloved,

IT IS FOR YOUR GOOD!

"For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you,says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, togive you hope in your final outcome" (Jeremiah 29:11, AMP).

"It is good that one should hope in and wait quietly forthe salvation (the safety and ease) of the Lord" (Lamentations 3:26, AMP).

Since about four weeks ago that my wife decided to nurture thechicks that suddenly became motherless through the mysterious death of theirmother hen, I have continued to learn more lessons of life. One of such lessonsis the way God handles our situation, especially when we do not like such way.

My wife does not allow the motherless chicks to move freelyaround outside our residence when she is not at home to monitor their movement.Therefore, she normally confines them to an enclosure. Whenever this happens,they normally make pathetic noises. The moment they are released, the joy offreedom is seen in them as they move freely around our courtyard to look forwhat they could eat on their own. One day, when my wife was not at home, out ofpity for these chicks, one of our children released them from their enclosure.Alas, one of the chicks fall prey to a hawk. If the other chicks could reason,they would have blamed the person that carelessly released them, andappreciated my wife that always confines them to safety and allows them to moveout freely under her watchful eyes. They would have known that theirconfinement is for their good.

God, at times, relates with us in a similar way! He"confines" us into His will and purpose so that no evil will befallus. He releases us to be free to do what we want when He knows that there is nodanger ahead of us, or when He is ready to watch over us. In such cases of"confinements," we may be groaning and praying that He should releaseus, but He will not if it is not for our good. Any attempt for us to do thingsagainst His will and purpose may have adverse consequences.

Have you been praying that God should do something for you, andHe has not done it? Probably He is keeping you in His will and purpose for yourlife, and He may be waiting for the appropriate time to answer the prayer inHis own way. Do not be dismayed. It is for your good!

In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)
+234 805 515 9591 
+234 816 304 5450
BB PIN:2B2AF3EE
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spiritualdigest2003/ 
https://www.facebook.com/bayo.afolaranmi
Visit http://inspirationaldailyquotes.blogspot.com/ for updated daily inspiring quotes from notable Christians. Also visit http://bibleverseofthedaybypastorbayo.blogspot.com/ for daily edifying Bible verses.

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. FOR TO ME, TO LIVE IS CHRIST AND TO DIE IS GAIN" (Philippians 1:20-21, NIV).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:59 pm

Dearly Beloved,

WHO KNOWS THE HOUR?

"Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come?"(Ecclesiastes 9:12 NIV).

The death of Reverend Josiah Adegoke Adeleke (1967-2005), mymentor, friend, and brother in Christ, in a ghastly auto accident with anotherfriend, Reverend Chris Tayo Orodiji (1973-2005), on Tuesday January 11, 2005 isstill a mirage to me. In spite of the fact that I was there at the mortuarygiving them final bath and dressing in preparation for their burial, and thefact that I was one of those that lowered their coffins into their graves, Istill find it difficult to believe that those two great men of God who died attheir prime age in active service have gone forever. I will see them only inheaven when I also die or at the marriage feast of the Lamb after the raptureof the saints.

Both of them were very intimate friends who had shared with memany things about our personal, educational, and especially ministerialendeavors. So, all the plans, dreams, and aspirations they had have gone withthem unfulfilled! So, they have abandoned their promising ministerial careersfor the rest of us! So, they will not publish those books they have writtentheir outlines! So, they have left their wives and very young children behindto face the struggles of life alone! So, they have....

Their short lives and sudden death are indeed a challenge to theliving that "Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble. Hesprings up like a flower and withers away; like a fleeting shadow, he does notendure.... Man's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his monthsand have set limits he cannot exceed…. But man dies and is laid low; hebreathes his last and is no more. As water disappears from the sea or ariverbed becomes parched and dry, so man lies down and does not rise; till theheavens are no more, men will not awake or be roused from their sleep"(Job 14:1-5, 10-12 NIV).

Their short lives and sudden death are a strong confirmation ofthe words of Solomon, "'Meaningless! Meaningless!' says the Teacher.'Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless,'" and "What does aman get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under thesun?" (Ecclesiastes 1:2; 2:22 NIV). What really are we living for if deathcan render everything meaningless within seconds without warning? Why are westruggling to become somebody on earth when it is certain that we will leaveeverything one day? This makes the words of Paul in Philippians 1:21 relevanthere: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (NIV). Livingfor Jesus Christ will make our living on earth meaningful and our death a gainfor us. GOKE and TAYO lived for Christ and their death is indeed a gain forthem and Jesus Christ. Who are you living for?

Their short lives and sudden death are now a warning to me thatI have to "discharge all the duties of [my] ministry" (2 Timothy 4:5NIV). Again, the words of Paul to Archippus clearly come to mind: "See toit that you complete the work you have received in the Lord" (Colossians4:17 NIV). I have to be up and doing because I do not know when God will alsocall me home. I do not know what people will say when I am no more. I do notknow whether my Lord will commend me with words like, "Well done, good andfaithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you incharge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" (Matthew25:21 NIV). I do not know....

Their short lives and sudden death are indeed a challenge and awarning to us to "Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of theeternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in thepresence of many witnesses" (1 Timothy 6:12 NIV). If those two great menof God could die at their prime age, then, anyone may be the next to be calledhome.

Let me conclude with these words of Solomon, "Moreover, noman knows when his hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birdsare taken in a snare, so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedlyupon them" (Ecclesiastes 9:12 NIV).

In His service,

NB
This message was first sent out on January 30, 2005. I amsending it out again in honour of these two late revered ministers of God.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:06 am

Dearly Beloved,

MY YEAR OF DOUBLE HONOUR

“But you shall be named the priests of the Lord, They shall callyou the servants of our God. You shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, And intheir glory you shall boast.  Instead ofyour shame you shall have double honor, And instead of confusion they shall rejoicein their portion. Therefore in their land they shall possess double;Everlasting joy shall be theirs†(Isaiah 61:6-7 NKJV).

I do not usually believe in tagging a year with a particulartheme, but I always use particular Bible passages to pray for people every yearand even base my first message for that year on those particular passages.However, some hours into this year 2015, I was led to tag this year “My Year ofDouble Honour†based on the Bible passage (that is, Isaiah 61:6-7) that theLord has laid in my mind some weeks back to use in my annual prayer for therecipients of my daily and weekly messages.

The people of Israel had sinned against God. They had brokentheir covenant with the LORD. The LORD on His part abandoned them and allowedthem to be taken to captivity in Assyria and Babylon. They became servants ofstrangers in their land of captivity. They were forced to serve foreign gods.Jerusalem, their holy city, and the temple of the LORD in it became ruined. Itwas a great disaster for the people of Israel who were once a pride to manynations. However, the LORD would not abandon them forever. The prophecy inIsaiah 61 is about the restoration of the city of Jerusalem (in particular) andthe land and people of Israel (in general) to their original state. The LORDpromised to restore the people. Instead of serving other people and their gods,they will be serving the LORD. In fact, they will become His special priests.They shall enjoy the riches of the strangers that had enslaved them. The LORDpromised to give them double honour in place of their shame. Their possessionsin their land will be in double portions. 

This promise of double honour was resounded also in Isaiah 40:2and Zechariah 9:12: “Speak comfort to Jerusalem, and cry out to her, that herwarfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned; for she has received from theLord's hand double for all her sins.... Return to the stronghold, you prisonersof hope. Even today I declare that I will restore double to you†(NKJV). Thepromise is likened to the double portion of the inheritance that the eldest sonin a family would receive from his father's estate (Deuteronomy 21:17). As theeldest son was given special honour, so also Israel, like the Lord's firstborn(see Exodus 4:22), will be honoured. People everywhere will acknowledge thatthe people of Israel are indeed God's special people because of these blessingsand an everlasting covenant (the New Covenant referred to in Jeremiah 32:40;Ezekiel 16:60; 37:26; Hebrews 13:20) that God is giving Israel.

However, this promise of double honour is not automatic. Esau(the first son of Isaac) despised his birthright, and Jacob enjoyed the honour(see Genesis 25:32-34; Hebrews 12:16-17). Reuben, the eldest son of Jacob couldnot enjoy the double honour because of his sin (see Genesis 35:22; 49:4; 1Chronicle 5:1-2). 

Do you know that you also can receive double honour from Godthis year? Make sure that you have received Jesus Christ into your life (seeJohn 1:11-12). Do not sell your birthright, your authority in Christ, to thedevil by indulging in sins and conscious disobedience to the words of God andthe will of God for your life. 

2015, My Year of Double Honour!

In His service,

Prayer Point: Lord, I want to enjoy your double honour thisyear. Help me Lord not to sell my birthright.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 01 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm

Dearly Beloved,

OUR PRAYERS FOR YOU IN THE YEAR 2015

Praise the Lord for witnessing anotheryear 2015!

As usual, Opeyemi (my wife) and ourchildren (Boluwatife, IfeOluwa, Michael and Abraham) are joining me to welcomeyou into the New Year with these prophetic prayers adapted from Isaiah 61:6-7 (NKJV). This New Year:

- The Lord will give you a new name;

- He will find you worthy to serve Him;

- You will enjoy the goodness of God inall your endeavours;

- Instead of your past shame you willhave double honour;

- You will rejoice in what the Lordshall apportion you;

- In fact, His everlasting joy shall beyours in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Happy and prosperous New Year!

In His service,

Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor),

Baptist Building, Oke Bola,

PMB 5113, Ibadan 200001, Nigeria.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

Dearly Beloved,

WHAT IS MAN THAT YOU CARE FOR HIM?

“Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, myfingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and mydeliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me. OLord, what is man that you care for him, the son of man that you think of him?â€(Psalm 144:1-3 NIV).

As the year 2014 comes to an end, I am looking back andreflecting on my life and activities in the fading year. The year startedbrightly for me. I had many aspirations that I wanted to come to pass beforethe end of the year. I took for granted that I will see the end of the year.With few days for the year to come to an end, I am still alive. I have embarkedliterally and figuratively on many journeys of life in the course of the year. Ihave encountered many dangers and passed through many storms of life. Here I amtoday about to see the end of the year. Each day I am sleeping in the eveningand waking up early the next day. I am even observing my siestas any time Ihave the opportunity. I never knew what is happening when I am asleep. Is it mymaking that I am waking up each time I sleep? The systems in my body areworking perfectly. Probably, I visited the hospital once or twice throughoutthe year for medical check-ups. I was never admitted for once for healthreasons in any hospital. I am eating foods and drinking water and other drinks.How these substances undergo digestive processes in me is a mystery to me. I ameasily excreting the waste elements in me everyday. My reasoning faculty isworking fine. I am free to go from one place to another. I can go on and onrecounting what has happened and is still happening to me in the dying year.Are all these my doings?  What ofmillions of people that started this year with me, but are no more today? Am Ibetter than them? What of people that are alive, but are not enjoying all thesegood things that I am enjoying? What makes me special than these people?

As I am reflecting on all these, the words of the Psalmistquoted above come to my mind. What attracts me most in the verses is theclause, “...what is man that you care for him...?†What or who am I that ismaking God to be so good to me this year? Why is He so mindful of me?Admittedly, I could not achieve all my aspirations this year. However, the Lordhas been so good to me during the year. I praise Him for He is indeed “my Rock,who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and myfortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, whosubdues peoples under me. O Lord, what is man that you care for him, the son ofman that you think of him?†(Psalm 144:1-3 NIV).

Undoubtedly, the Lord has done many things for you also thisfading year. Have you reflected on these things? Do you have any reason topraise Him this year? Will you not also join the Psalmist to exclaim, O Lord,what is man that you care for him, the son of man that you think of him?

In His service,
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 21 Dec 2014, 5:03 pm

Dearly Beloved,

DO NOT WAIT TILL DECEMBER 31

As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's gracein vain. For he says, In the time of my favor I heard you, In the time of myfavor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.’ I tell you, nowis the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation†(2 Corinthians 6:1-2NIV).

One of the contacts on one of my BBM lists contacted me recentlyand wanted me to counsel him on how he could overcome the habit ofmasturbation. As I probed into his activities and companions, he made someconfessions about what he is doing that he thinks contribute to his bad habit.I counselled him to abstain from such actions. His response was that he wouldstart abstaining from them as from December 31 as part of his New Yearresolutions. I disagreed and told him straightaway that he does not need towait till any day to start abstaining from any action that he knows may becontributing to his bad habit if really wants to be free from such habit. Hepromised to try. He later informed me that there have been changes since theday he started abstaining from such actions.

It is common to see people making New Year resolutions onDecember 31, especially as they are about to enter the New Year. Most of theseresolutions include determination to change some bad habits in the New Year.Interestingly, such determinations hardly last through the month of Januarybefore the people that make it go back to their bad habits. Certainly, suchresolutions have become usual practices that do not come from the depth of thehearts of people that normally make them. As tradition, such people join otherpeople to make the resolutions without real commitment to keeping them. If itwere not so, why do people wait for a particular day (especially December 31)before making resolutions to change from a particular bad habit? 

God has given man the willpower to do what is good or otherwise.In fact, He has given us the grace to do the right thing at the right time.However, are we making good use of this grace? Apostle Paul enjoined theCorinthian Christians not to receive God's grace in vain because NOW is thetime of God's favor (see 2 Corinthians 6:1-2). If this is so, why thenpostponing the time when God is ready to help you? 

It is good to make good resolutions on December 31. However, donot wait till that day. Resolve today to abstain from bad habits and startdoing good. If you sincerely determine today, the Lord will indeed help you.

In His service,

Prayer Point: Lord, help me to sincerely resolve NOW to abstainfrom bad habits and consciously start doing good things. 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 14 Dec 2014, 4:13 pm

Dearly Beloved,

UNTO US A SON IS GIVEN

“For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And thegovernment will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful,Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6 NKJV).

Christmas season every year has been dedicated to thecelebration of the Child Jesus Christ that was born “...wrapped... in swaddlingcloths, and laid... in a manger” (Luke 2:7 NKJV) in Bethlehem some two thousandyears ago. It is interesting that Prophet Isaiah rightly prophesied that aChild would be born, and a Son would be given. However, it is unfortunate thatmany people take no or little notice of this, especially the Son that was giventhat day! 

While the Child that was born signifies the humanity of JesusChrist, the Son that was given signifies His deity. The attraction centred onthe Child that was born has belittled the significance of the Son that wasgiven. The Child that was born was the Son that was given through thedemonstration of the love of God the Father to the world “…that whoeverbelieves in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16 NKJV.See also John 1:14, 18; Romans 5:6-10; 8:32; 1 Timothy 1:15-16). The latterpart of the prophecy in Isaiah 9:6 is referring to the Son that was given. Heis the Messiah that “the government will be upon His shoulder” - the eternalKing that will reign and rule over the Universe. This Son’s “...name will becalled Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”(Isaiah 9:6 NKJV). He is indeed more than a child that many people arecelebrating during Christmas.

While it is good to decently celebrate the Child that was bornin Bethlehem, it is far better to believe in the Son that was given during thatevent for the salvation of humankind. Do not let the celebration of the bornChild blindfold you to the importance of the given Son who will judge the worldone day.

Unto us a Son is given!

In His service,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:08 pm

Dearly Beloved,

O COME ALL YE FAITHFUL

“After Jesus was born in Bethlehem inJudea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem andasked, ‘Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star inthe east and have come to worship him’†(Matthew 2:1-2 NIV).

The Christmas season is here again! It waslike yesterday that we celebrated the last one last year. Thanks be to God forsparing our lives to witness another season. While some people are indifferentto the season and its cause, many people would have started planning on how toutilize the season to their advantage. Unfortunately, most of these people willstill commit the error of leaving the Reason for the season, Jesus Christ, outof the season. The season is to be used to commemorate the birth of JesusChrist by adoring Him in all way we can.

The Magi from the east came to Jerusalem toworship the new born King. The concept of adoration of Jesus Christ the Lordduring Christmas season, and even all seasons, might have prompted the writerof one of popular Christmas hymns, “O COME ALL YE FAITHFUL†(Adeste Fideles)who many people believed to be John Francis Wade (c. 1710-1786) to invitepeople to come and adore the Christ the Lord. Wade summoned all the faithful tocome joyfully and triumphantly to behold the King of angels and adore Him. Wadeused the hymn to describe who this new born King is: “True God of true God,Light from Light Eternal... Son of the Father, begotten, not created.†As theshepherds and the Magi came to adore the new born King, we also ought to comeand adore Him. We should give all glory to Him now and forever. Amen.

Any celebration or activity during thisChristmas season that does not give glory to Jesus Christ is not pleasing toGod. He wants us to use the season to worship Him. “O come, let us adore Him,Christ the Lord.â€

In His service,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 30 Nov 2014, 5:01 pm

Dearly Beloved,

BLESS THE LORD, O MY SOUL! (Part 2)

"Bless the LORD, O my soul; And allthat is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forgetnot all His benefits?" (Psalm 103:1-2 NKJV).

This is the continuation of the study onPsalms 103 and 104 started last week. We examined who God is especially in Hisgreatness manifested in His creation which made the psalmist to exclaim to hissoul to bless or praise the Lord. In this second part of the study, we willexamine what God has done, is doing, and will still do for us that make Him deserveour worship, praises and thanksgiving.

The psalmist urged his soul not to forgetall the benefits of God. What are these benefits? He enumerated them in thisPsalm 103: the Lord forgives all his sins (verse 3a); the Lord heals all hisdiseases (verse 3b); the Lord redeems his life from destruction (verse 4a); theLord crowns him with love and compassion (verses 4b, 8, 11, 13, 17); and theLord satisfies his desires with good things (verse 5). 

The psalmist declared that the Lord did allthose things to his soul, hence, the exclamation to his soul to bless the Lord.He went further to declare other things that the Lord has done and is doing tohim as well as other people: the Lord is just to the oppressed (verse 6); theLord led the Israelites out of slavery through Moses (verse 7); the Lord isgracious and slow to anger (verses 8-10); and in His compassion and love, Hetreats us like children (verses 10-14).

Having declared the goodness (or benefits)of God, the psalmist entreated the angels and all the heavenly hosts to joinhim in blessing the Lord. He even entreated you and me, His works, to alsobless the Lord.

Undoubtedly, you also will have many thingsto praise the Lord for. Think of those things. Do not forget all His benefits.Recount them and praise the Lord. Bless the LORD, O my soul!

In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:18 pm

Dearly Beloved,

BLESS THE LORD, O MY SOUL!

"Bless the LORD, O my soul! O LORD myGod, You are very great: You are clothed with honor and majesty?" (Psalm104:1 NKJV).

The book of Psalms is full of praises of,and prayers to God. Psalms 103 and 104 are distinct out of the other psalmsbecause of their description of who God is and what He is doing to us that makeHim deserve our worship, adoration, praises and thanksgiving. 

Let us examine first who God is in Psalm104 before coming back to Psalm 103 to discover what He is doing for us thatmade the psalmist told his soul "and all that is within" him to blessor praise the Lord. 

He started with the greatness of God. Thegreatness of God is manifested in His creation: He stretches out the heavenslike a tent (verse 2b); He sets the earth on its unmovable foundations (verse5) and covers it with the deep (verse 6a); He sets the course of water (verses6b-9); He satisfies the earth and other creatures by His work (verses 10-13);He makes the earth produce food for the animals and even man (verses 14-15); Heprovides dwelling place for His creatures (verses 16-18); and He marks offseasons, days and years by the sun and the moon (verses 19-23). The psalmistcontinues to describe how God made His creation in wisdom, and all thesecreatures look unto God for sustenance (verses 24-29). 

Having considered all these things, thepsalmist concludes that the glory of God will endure for ever and that he wouldrespond to God's greatness by singing to Him all his life and that he wouldfind pleasure in meditating about it. 

The implication of this psalm is that weshould always praise God for who He is as He has demonstrated it in Hiscreation. Bless the LORD, O my soul!

In His service,

NB

Next week, we will consider the otheraspect of why our soul should bless the Lord. Till then, God bless you!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:12 pm

Dearly Beloved,

THERE IS A BETTER FUTURE

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. Hewill take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he willrejoice over you with singing. The sorrows for the appointed feasts I willremove from you; they are a burden and a reproach to you" (Zephaniah3:17-18 NIV).

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD,'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'"(Jeremiah 29:11 NIV).

The evils of the world especially the seeming triumph of theterrorists in the recent time have made some to conclude that this world canlonger be a better place. To such people, things will be going from worse tothe worst. The evildoers will be prospering while the righteous and theinnocent will continue to suffer for needless pains.

This very world may be growing from bad to worse every daybecause of its waywardness from God. God may have allowed wickedness to triumphover righteousness for some time. However, there is a better future.

The people of Judah in the time of prophet Zephaniah were in asimilar situation. Their leaders had led them away from God and God had allowedthem to face untold hardship from other nations. However, God sent a message ofhope to them through prophet Zephaniah - there is a better future! (Zephaniah3). This message came after God had pronounced judgments on the nations thathad tormented them. 

What are you also passing through personally? Does it seem as ifthe wicked are having upper hand against you? Does it seem as if God is notfighting for you? There is a better future for you! He will fight for you. Hewill take away all those sorrows. See what God promised the people of Judah,"At that time I will deal with all who oppressed you; I will rescue thelame and gather those who have been scattered. I will give them praise andhonour in every land where they were put to shame. At that time I will gatheryou; at that time I will bring you home. I will give you honour and praiseamong all the peoples of the earth when I restore your fortunes before yourvery eyes" (Zephaniah 3:19-20 NIV). Indeed, there is a better future!

In His service,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:01 pm

Dearly Beloved,

WHAT BELONGS TO CAESAR? 

“[Jesus] said to them, ‘Then give to Caesar what belongs toCaesar, and give to God what belongs to God’” (Luke 20:25 ERV).

We were in a Sunday School class recently when a participantprivately told me that we can sin at times since Jesus Christ said that weshould give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar. He further said that giving toGod what belongs to God is when we come to church to worship Him. I immediatelyrefuted his opinion and explained that Jesus was not talking about sin in thatreference, but mainly about our civic responsibility to the government and thesociety. He reluctantly nodded his head in agreement.

This wrong allusion to what belongs to Caesar made me think moreabout what really belongs to Caesar and what really belongs to God. If one havea close look at the passage (and other parallel passages - Matthew 22:15-22;Mark 12:13-17), one will have more understanding on this. The Pharisees and theHerodians colluded together and sent some of their disciples to Jesus to trapHim. They asked, "Tell us, is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar ornot?" (Luke 20:22 ERV). If Jesus approved paying taxes to Caesar, He wouldoffend the Jews, and this might discredit His ministry among them. If Hedisapproved paying of taxes to Caesar, the religious leaders would readily havea proof to accuse Him before the ruling Roman powers. However, beingomniscient, He knew their antics. So, He asked them to give Him a coin. Havingprovided the coin, He asked about the image on the coin. They told Him that theimage was that of Caesar. He thereby told them to give to Caesar what belongsto Caesar, and to God what belongs to God. 

The coin and other materials used as monetary values have theimages of this world and its rulers, and they belong to this world and therulers of this world. They should be given back to the world. Other thingsincluding rules and regulations created by the world should be strictly adheredto if they are not contrary to the rules and laws of God (see Acts 4:19; 5:29).However, people that use the money are created in the image of God and belongto God. So, they should give their lives that carry the image of God to God.Apostle Paul put it this way: “So I beg you, brothers and sisters, because ofthe great mercy God has shown us, offer your lives as a living sacrifice tohim—an offering that is only for God and pleasing to him. Considering what hehas done, it is only right that you should worship him in this way” (Romans12:1 ERV). 

If one can give one’s life totally to God, it would not bedifficult to give to the world and its rulers what belong to them and even usethat thing that belongs to the world to glorify God. The person that has givenhis life totally to God will find it difficult to violate the rules and laws ofthe world (when they are not contrary to the rules and laws of God), and hewill willingly obey the rules and laws of God.

In His service,

Prayer Point: Pray that you will be able to give your lifetotally to God and as you give to the world what belong to it you will be abledo so and use them to His glory.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 02 Nov 2014, 11:46 pm

Dearly Beloved,

SERVE GOD WITH JOY

“Because you did notserve the Lord your God with joy and gladness of heart, for the abundance ofeverything...†(Deuteronomy 28:47 NKJV).

The first fourteenverses of Deuteronomy chapter 28 are well known by many people because of thepromises of God that are there. On the contrary, few people care to study theremaining fifty-four verses in the chapter because of the curses in those latterverses. However, those verses full of curses are warnings for anyone who doesnot want the curses to be his/her portion. Conspicuously, the main reason forthe curses in those verses is disobedience to God, but there are other reasonsfor these curses as Moses warned the people of Israel. One of such reasons isnot serving “God with joy and gladness of heart†for the abundance of Hisgoodness. 

If God can be good tous in many ways, then we have to appreciate Him by serving Him joyfully even ifHe does not do, or has not done, what we want Him to do for us. The consequenceof not serving Him with joy is servitude to our enemies. Instead of promotion,demotion would be the lot of anyone who refuses to serve God joyfully. In otherwords, anyone who does not appreciate God may not enjoy more of the goodness ofGod, but will certainly be under the curse of God. The people of Israel thatcame out of Egypt are a good example of this. They grumbled against God on manyoccasions, and all of them (except Caleb and Joshua) could not enter thePromised Land (see Numbers 14:26-35).

This year is running toan end. Ponder about your life this year. Are you appreciative of God? Do youserve Him with joy, or you are full of grudges against Him because of what Hehas not done for you? Do not incur curses of God on yourself. Thank Him andserve Him with joy, and He will manifest Himself in your life.

In His service,

Bayo Afolaranmi(Pastor).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm

DO NOTBE AT FAULT

"Youwant something but don't get it…. You do not have, because you do not askGod" (James 4:2 NIV).

Mychildren used to get sets of biscuits every morning as they go to school forrefreshment apart from the food they take for their breakfast. My wife and Iforgot to give them the biscuits one day, and none of them remembered to remindus as they normally do. When they came back from the school, the elder one, myson, accused us their parents for not giving them biscuits that day. Myresponse was, "Did you ask for them?" He could not defend himselfbecause he knew that he also shared in the fault of not remembering about theusual sets of biscuits that day. He was the first to remind us the followingday about the biscuits as they were about to set out for school.

Thereis a spiritual lesson in this event. Our heavenly Father has many blessings andprovisions in store for us. He has been given us these blessings and He willcontinue to give us. While He is not a forgetful Father like any earthlyfather, He wants us, however, to ask Him what we want. Jesus Christ said,"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and thedoor will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds;and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asksfor bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him asnake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to yourchildren, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those whoask him!" (Matthew 7:7-11 NIV).

Areyou in need of any good thing? Come boldly to the throne of grace and ask(Hebrew 4:16). John said, "This is the confidence we have in approachingGod: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we knowthat he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked ofHim" (1 John 5:14-15 NIV). Do not be at fault in not asking. Hear JesusChrist again, "Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Askand you will receive, and your joy will be complete" (John 16:24 NIV).

In His service,

BayoAfolaranmi (Pastor).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 20 Oct 2014, 7:59 pm

Dearly Beloved,
QUANTITY OR QUALITY?
"And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans,
for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like
them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him" (Matthew
6:7-8 NIV).
A pastor-colleague who visited my family early in the morning on
day for an important assignment met us having our family devotions. After the
worship service, he enquired from me about the normal duration of our daily
family devotions. I told him that I do not care about the time, but the quality
of the devotions. He then shared with me his experience with somebody that came
to him for prayers. When he used a certain number of minutes in praying for the
person, the person was surprised that the prayer session was over so soon. He
then asked the person the number of minutes or hours he believes it would take
a curse invoked on another person to take effect. The person believed that a
curse that is less than a minute could be of eternal consequence on the person
it was invoked. The pastor and I then discussed briefly about the quality and
quantity of time to be spent for a prayer to be effectual.
Some people are of the opinion that the longer the prayer, the
more effective it is, or the more you repeat the same request at a particular
time, the sooner God answers such request. This has made many people to engage
themselves in unnecessary long prayers, saying of the same thing for a number
of time, marathon prayer sessions, all-night prayer vigils, and so on so that
God would quickly answer their prayers. Some Christian denominations and some
religions even adapt a way of using kinds of tool to aid them in repeating
their prayers in a particular number of times. Most of these beliefs and
practices are contrary to the teachings of the Bible about prayer. What matter
most in our prayers is the quality, not quantity, of time we spend in saying
the prayers. A Bible commentator says, "Christ does not fix the length of
our prayers. He says that we should not repeat the same thing, as though God
did not hear; and it is not improbable that he intended to condemn the practice
of long prayers. His own supplications were remarkably short."
Let me point it out here that I am not talking about
perseverance in requesting something from God - a situation where one
persistently continues to ask for a particular thing from God until God answers
the prayer (as Jesus Christ taught it in Luke 18:1-7). The Bible teaches that
we should pray all the time (Luke 18:1; 21:36; Romans 12:12; Ephesians 6:18;
Colossians 4:2). 
The question then is what matter most in our prayer? Is it the
quality or the quantity of time we spend to say it? This is a question that we
must answer as we go to the Lord in prayers.
In His service,
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 12 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm

Dearly Beloved,
BE A LIVING SACRIFICE
“So then, my brothers, because of God's great mercy to us I
appeal to you: Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his
service and pleasing to him. This is the true worship that you should offer”
(Romans 12:1 TEV).
Some days ago, Muslims throughout the world celebrated the Eld
el Kabir celebration that commemorated the divine provision of ram for Ibrahim
when he wanted to sacrifice his son to God. In spite of the distortion of the
original story from the Holy Bible, the way these people devotedly sacrifice
animals, especially rams, during this annual celebration is noteworthy.
Unfortunately, they are missing it because Jesus Christ is the final Sacrifice
for humankind’s sin (see 1 Corinthians 5:7). No other sacrifice or shedding of
blood is acceptable to God now, “...because by one sacrifice [Jesus Christ] has
made perfect forever those who are being made holy” (Hebrews 10:14 NIV. See also
verse 10).
Instead of making animal sacrifice or shedding of blood in any
form to appease God, we are to offer ourselves as a living, NOT dead or
inanimate, sacrifice to God (Romans 12:1). Apostle Paul continued to say that
this is the true and holy worship that is pleasing and acceptable to God. The
implication of this is that we are to deny ourselves of sinful pleasures and
purposes, and use our lives for the glory of God. This calls for total
surrender to God. It is a dedication of presenting and yielding of body, mind,
and will to God day by day. It is to devote ourselves to God, as if we had no
longer any claim on ourselves. It is to suffer and bear all that God might
appoint, and to promote His honour in any way which He might command. It should
be noted here that this is far more than giving or offering of animals or
substances to God. It is even far more than working for God. It is willingly
and consciously giving of one’s total self to God before giving of any other
thing. The Macedonian churches demonstrated this when “...they gave themselves
first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will” (2 Corinthians 8:5
NIV).
Are you ready to present yourself as a living sacrifice to God?
No amount of any other offering or sacrifice is acceptable to Him. He wants you
to first totally surrender your life to Him before He can accept your
possession, service or any other form of worship you can render to Him. Be a
living sacrifice to God!
In His service,
Prayer Point: Pray that you will be able to offer yourself as a
living sacrifice to God.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 05 Oct 2014, 7:52 pm

Dearly Beloved,
WHAT IMPACT WILL YOU MAKE?
“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but
will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my
body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is
gain” (Philippians 1:20-21 NIV).
I am always fascinated by the life of Frances Jane van Alstyne
née Crosby (March 24, 1820 - February 12, 1915), more commonly known as Fanny
Crosby whenever I sing any of her hymns. Here was a woman who was blind for
most part of her life (she was blinded by an incompetent doctor at six weeks of
age). In spite of this, she wrote over 8,000 hymns. An online source quoted her
saying: “It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be
blind all my life, and I thank Him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly
sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung
hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and
interesting things about me.” 
Some of Crosby's best-known songs include "To God Be the
Glory", "Blessed Assurance", "Pass Me Not, O Gentle
Saviour", "Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home", "Praise
Him, Praise Him", "Rescue the Perishing", “All The Way My
Saviour Leads Me”, “Take The World But Give Me Jesus” and many others. Crosby
wrote over 1,000 secular poems, and had four books of poetry published, as well
as two best-selling autobiographies. Additionally, she co-wrote popular secular
songs, as well as political and patriotic songs, and at least five cantatas on
biblical and patriotic themes, including “The Flower Queen”, the first secular
cantata by an American composer. Crosby was committed to Christian rescue
missions, and was known for her public speaking. Undoubtedly, her works have
inspired and blessed millions of souls throughout the world.
Apostle Paul was “...hard pressed on every side, but not
crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck
down, but not destroyed” (2 Corinthians 4:8-9 NIV). He was in a Roman prison
awaiting death sentence when he wrote many of his epistles. In one of such
epistles, the Epistle to the Philippians, Paul expressed his desire to exalt
Jesus Christ in spite of his predicament. He was even ready to die for the
cause of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ (see Philippians 1:20-21). No
wonder, he also made a lot of impact in the lives of many people.
What are you passing through now? What impact will you make in
spite of your situation? What legacy will you leave behind when you are no
more? Determine to make a positive impact in your generation. Do not let any
situation hinder you.
In His service,
Prayer Point: Pray that God will help you to make positive
impact in your generation in spite of any situation you may be passing through.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 28 Sep 2014, 9:51 pm

Dearly Beloved
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!
"Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of
your stomach and your frequent illnesses" (1 Timothy 5:23 NIV).
The above Bible passage has been one of the most misinterpreted
and misapplied ones. In fact, it is one of those controversial verses of the
Bible. Drunkards and those that are inclined to drinking too much wine and
alcoholic drinks are quick to refer to it in support of their action. However,
as I was in a Sunday school class one Sunday, I saw a different application to
the instruction of Paul to Timothy: Timothy should take care of himself. The
means of doing this was taking of some wine. Other places where the Bible
refers to wine as something of medicinal substance are: Second Samuel 16:2
where it was said to revive the faint; Proverbs 31:6 where it was said to be
suitable as a sedative for people in distress; Luke 10:34 where the Samaritan
poured oil and wine on the wounds of the injured traveler; and Matthew 27:34
and Mark 15:23 where it was mixed with a drug to ease suffering. 
Well, this devotional write-up is not aimed at supporting or not
supporting the use of wine, but to underscore the importance of taking care of
oneself. Paul was concerned about the well being of Timothy, and he recommended
to him a way of taking care of himself. No doubt, Timothy yielded to this
advice to his own good.
Medical and other advices have been given to many people today,
and many people do not yield to such good advices to their detriment. Are you
one of such people that do not yield to medical, professional, ministerial and
other specialized advices about your health, business, family or other
endeavors? Part of taking care of yourself is yielding to such good advices.
"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end
you will be wise" (Proverbs 19:20 NIV). 
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)

WEBSITE REDESIGNING
I want to redesign the official website of my Internet ministry: http://www.thewordthruthenet.org/. It was first designed and hosted in 2008. Undoubtedly,
it is overdue for redesigning. If the Lord is leading you to be part of this
project, send a private message to me at spiritualdigest@yahoo.com. God
bless you!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 21 Sep 2014, 10:29 pm

Dearly Beloved,
WILL JESUS FIND US WATCHING?
"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or
the hour” (Matthew 25:13 NIV).
The story of the Ten Virgins is one of the popular parables of
Jesus Christ. It tells of ten virgins that were waiting for a bridegroom.
Interestingly, five of these virgins were wise by having oil in their jars
along with their lamps while the other five were foolish by not having extra
oil thereby not preparing for any eventuality. The bridegroom delayed in coming
and arrived late in the night. The prepared wise virgins could accompany the
bridegroom to the wedding banquet while the foolish ones missed the banquet
because they were not adequately prepared. 
It was probably this Bible story that motivated the famous blind
hymn writer, Frances J. Crosby (also known as Fanny Crosby), to compose the
hymn “WILL JESUS FIND US WATCHING?” in 1875. The words of the hymn attest to
this. Crosby asked that will Jesus find us faithfully watching with our lamps
all trimmed and bright when He comes to reward His servants whether it is noon
or night. Can we say we are ready for the soul’s bright home? If Jesus shall
call us one by one at the dawn of the early morning to restore our talents back
to Him, will He be able to say “Well done” to us? We shall have a glorious rest
if there is nothing in our hearts to condemn us after we have been true to the
trust He left us and have sought to do our best. Blessed indeed are those whom
the Lord finds watching because they shall share in His glory. However, the big
question is, “If He shall come at the dawn or midnight, will He find us
watching there?”
So are you really ready if Jesus Christ should return
today? Or are you like the foolish
virgins in the biblical story? Jesus Christ will come back one day. It may be
now, it may be later. The fact that He has not come for the past two thousand
years does not negate the certainty of His coming. Are you ready for His
coming? Will He find you watching?
In His service,
Prayer Point: Pray that the second coming of the Lord Jesus
Christ will not meet you unprepared.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next