World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:47 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:40 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:25 pm by Admin

» The Great Tragedy - Greg Laurie Devotion
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:23 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:14 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 8:40 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 5:32 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 4:35 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 3:55 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 3:41 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 3:28 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 3:20 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 3:18 pm by Admin

» The Life and Death of Binyamin Airley
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 2:39 pm by Admin

»  Israel's Eurovision song Hurricane.
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 10:16 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 9:07 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 12:11 am by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 12:02 am by Admin

» Sign Petition Against Antisemitism
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyFri 10 May 2024, 11:26 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 EmptyFri 10 May 2024, 11:20 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Sat 15 Jan 2022, 10:20 pm

With English being my native language, I am tempted to think I have the world conquered. I mean with English, you can go pretty much anywhere, right? And when I do have problems understanding, it isn’t my fault, right? It must be the fault of the speaker!

The other day a friend sent me a video. For the life of me, I couldn’t understand a word that was said. Knowing the friend was from a bilingual country, I naturally assumed they were speaking the other language in the video. I was incredibly humbled to later learn that the speakers in the video had actually been speaking English… I was simply not familiar with their accent!

Many parts of the world speak English with different accents; and if you are not used to a particular accent, it can be difficult to understand. Take, for example, my husband. After 40+ years of speaking primarily English, he still has trouble understanding the accent of the southern USA. But let’s remember that to those we are having trouble understanding, we are the ones with accents!

Think for a minute about all those who help us with technical problems from across the ocean. We have trouble understanding them, and they have trouble understanding us. Why is it that we assume it is because they are not native speakers? Why is it that as human beings, our first go-to in the face of a problem is the point the finger the other way? The other person is different from us, and therefore, he or she must be wrong, right? And as a result, they are automatically branded as “wrong”, while we stay firmly perched on our pedestal, insisting that we are --“right”!

But wait. What do you think might happen if, just for once, we were to take responsibility for problems? What if, instead of blaming someone for causing the breakdowns, we looked to ourselves?

Thinking once again about how those who help us with technical issues on the phone have trouble understanding us… Besides the fact that we may speak with an accent they might not be used to, we know that they work in crowded rooms with hundreds of others on similar calls. The background noise levels are really high. What if we were to make an effort to speak slowly and clearly? What if we go off speaker-phone and try to conduct the call from a quiet location? What if we were to try to avoid colloquialisms and stick to basic English?

Wait. All these “what if”s… Aren’t they beginning to sound like something a very, very wise Jesus once admonished us to do? “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.’… Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.” (Matthew 7:1-5,12 NLT)

Think about how much animosity could be avoided if everyone followed these commands…

Of course, not everyone will, but that does not change our own responsibility. As a follower of Christ, our responsibility is to stop pointing the finger at others. We need to treat others as we wish to be treated. We must do everything in our own power to help others!

Even when we might have to admit that maybe, just maybe, the problem lies in … us?

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Does anyone out there find the Bible dull? Lacking in excitement and action? Check out: Lights, Camera, Action! -- A mini-series in the books of Joshua and Acts by Suresh Manoharan.

Subscribe Other Devotionals Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 13 Jan 2022, 10:35 pm

"For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men." (2 Corinthians 8:21 AMPC)

I remember my first job interview for a post in the bank. The interviewer looked at me and asked, "Are you honest?" This was a question that got me smiling for a moment before I answered, "Yes, I am honest."

The thought that ran through my mind that got me smiling before I answered was I wonder how my potential employer would verify if I was truly honest except that I prove it after being employed.

I learned a lesson from that question: The world is looking for honest people. Sadly, upon the surface of the earth, honesty has dwindled, and honest people are now rare to find, even amongst believers.

Today, God reminds us in our opening text that we should be honest people, not only before God but also in the eyes of those around us.

Why?

"The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them." (Proverbs 11:3 ESV)

Honesty is being true and telling the truth at all times, no matter the pressure to do otherwise. The Bible says, "The truth will set you free." (John 8:32b ESV)

Telling the truth at all times saves us, but being dishonest destroys. Elisha's servant Gehazi, as well as Ananias and Sapphira his wife are classic examples in the Bible of those destroyed by dishonesty. We ought to learn from these stories and repent from being crooked. We should remember that if we are honest, people will trust us, even with their most treasured possessions.

Honesty is not always cheap or easy, and it's never found amongst cheap people, but amongst people of integrity. That's exactly who we are to be as believers: people of integrity. We should be the difference in a world driven by corruption and crookedness. We should vehemently refuse to cut corners and take kickbacks in our places of work, because we are of God and not of the world, for God supplies all our needs according to His riches in glory.

Are you honest?

Make a decision today to be honest in everything you do, in your work, relationships, marriage, and so on. Deal with that covetous spirit in the name of Jesus, and let the Lord exalt you. Pray with me:

Prayer: Lord, I thank You for Your Word today. From today onwards, I cast away all greed, dishonesty, and covetousness in me, and I refuse to be dishonest henceforth, in Jesus' mighty name. Amen.

Owen Osa
Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria

Announcements
What lessons do the letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation have to teach us?  Check out the mini-series: Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Jan 2022, 10:30 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 Little10
Jesus and a Woman
January 12, 2022
Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.

~ John 8:7 NIV ~

While I was in ministry, a young woman came to my office needing help. She was homeless, hungry, and desperate. I brought her into my home, took her to a doctor, and helped her to find a sparsely furnished basement apartment. She began attending our church, but soon, her landlady let me know that not all was well. It seemed that she'd fallen back into her old occupation. Her landlady wanted to evict her — an event that soon occurred. The last time I saw her, she was with a group of other young women who were all dressed in a way that indicated what they were about. I said, "Hey!" but she looked the other way and went away with her companions, giggling. I wish I could say that she changed her wanton ways, but after that, I never saw her again.

"The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, they said to [Jesus], 'Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?'" (John 8:3-5 NRSV)

These proud men presented themselves as pious and righteous, but their intentions were far from upright, wanting to entrap the Lord. But Jesus, who sees inside the heart, saw inside theirs. So, He took His time answering them. He bent down and wrote in the dust with His finger.

"When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, 'Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.'" (John 8:7 NRSV)

In my mind's eye, I can visualize Him looking each one in the eye before He resumed writing in the dust. We have no idea what He was writing, but I can almost hear the stones falling to the ground one by one, each one followed by a set of feet slipping away. Finally, Jesus stood up and looked straight at the distraught woman trembling in front of Him.

"'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' She said, 'No one, sir.' And Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.'" (John 8:10b-11NRSV)

Jesus provided a way out for the woman, but with a warning. He freed her to be on her own, no longer controlled by someone else, but Scripture doesn't tell us what she did with that freedom. Did she have a home to return to after her public shaming? Was there a town of refuge nearby where she could go? Did she have money stashed away? Would she need to beg? Did she really sin no more? Would anyone help the likes of her? Scripture is silent about this.

Like it or not, we should ponder these questions as being directed to ourselves. We are sinners. We all mess up at one time or another. We all need our Saviour's forgiveness. So, if we do have the chance to offer help to someone who needs a leg up from a go-nowhere life, let's do it. Admittedly, it's risky, but worth doing, because, as the saying goes, the life that we save may be our own.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, enable us to forgive as You forgive us, and to continue Your work by enabling others to find You through our words and our deeds. Amen.

Cassandra Wessel
Tionesta, Pennsylvania, USA

Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission

Announcements
Are you frustrated with an ineffective prayer life? God does answer prayers, my friend. Why don't you come to Answers2Prayer (www.answers2prayer.org) and discover the power of prayer for yourself?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 08 Jan 2022, 6:05 pm

In the concluding part of our series titled “Now these WMDs are dangerous”, let’s cast the spotlight on 3 more “legitimate” distractions we need to be wary of...

6. Smart-phone addiction…

Hmmm…are you reading this message on your costly Smartphone? Now who gives us the financial capacity that we can afford these hi-tech gadgets (See Deut. 8:18)? Good if you use Smartphone to go through uplifting spiritual messages and connect and pray for needy brethren towards their encouragement, but not so good for needless chatter in social media groups. Well a smart Christian is said to be one who has his Smartphone in his hands rather than himself being in the hands of the latter.

Spiritually inspirational messages in Smartphone ought to be like vitamin supplements in our lives without they at any point of time being substituted for our spiritual food comprised of prayer time with our Lord, Bible reading, Church fellowship et al.

7. Mission

Dear friends, we are now treading on Holy ground. Yes, I am coming to God’s work with an intention to dwell on a tricky subject on how even God-ordained work (be it pastoral or evangelical or charitable) can sometimes become a stumbling block to pure devotion. Great servants of God have learned the hard way how neglecting the quiet quality time left them weak and too spiritually malnourished to do their own Master’s work. Even Martin Luther, ever the firebrand, once caught in the vortex of reformation work, is said to have welcomed a dawn with these challenging words “I have so many urgent things to do today that I need to begin the day with THREE HOURS OF PRAYER”.

Of Lazarus’ two sisters, which did the Lord commend (See Luke 10:38-42)? The dedicated Martha or the devout Mary? The reason why Mary’s act of devotion was endorsed? The answer is the answer to question 1 of the Westminister catechism: Man was primarily created to worship. Period. Even an evangelism pales in significance vis-à-vis worship, because the former was necessitated only by man’s fall into sin. Otherwise, there would have been no place for ‘winning souls’ in God’s scheme of things. In eternity too, worship would occupy an unassailable position. Said a preacher cum evangelist jocularly but with remarkable insight, “Unless, I learn to worship, I would be unemployed in Heaven”.

Now let’s throw the spotlight on a person who was the very definition of smart time-management whilst doing God’s work. Mark’s gospel is said to be an “action gospel”, for the writer uses the word “immediately” not less than 42 times to portray the hectic schedule of God’s Son earnestly going about the Father’s business. Packed into a period of three and half year years were the activities of preaching, teaching, healing, training up disciples, touring without any modern, time-saving means of transport, and oh yes…standing up to the constant criticism of the religious leaders of his day. In the midst of all these, let’s not miss out on what this ‘action Gospel’ had to say on how our oh-so-busy Lord…began the day: “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” (Mark 1:35 NIV). Do I need to say more?

8. Destination

We are still continuing to tread on Holy Ground where our noblest motives can be twisted so as to work against us: “Where is the fertile land of wonderful crops-the figs, vines, and pomegranates you told us about?” (Numbers 20:5B TLB). Do these words ring a bell? Well, these are the words of the people on their way to the Promised Land who, as this protest of theirs to Moses seems to imply and implicate, are seemingly more in love with the ‘land flowing with milk and honey’ than the Giver of the same to them. We, too, as God’s children, are walking towards an unseen “Heavenly Canaan on the other side of the ethereal River Jordan”.  Let me ask pointedly: Are we in love with the destination? Or with the One who promises the great gift to us?

In this context, I want to recollect a touching story. A daughter of a renowned, international preacher, used to the gifts her loving dad would purchase and bring for her after every overseas trip, was once in for a major disappointment. Due to a mess-up in the Airport customs, the gift was lost, and her doting Dad landed home without a gift. Her mature reaction on noticing the gift missing in her Dad’s briefcase simply belied her age. Though disappointed, she is said to have sprung up and held on to her dad tightly crying “DAD, YOU ARE MY BEST GIFT”. Can the same be said of us, when it comes to choosing between God and His gifts?

And now in conclusion about Heaven our destination, permit me to rephrase Matt. 6:33 slightly and present it to you as such: “Seek ye first GOD and all these things shall be given unto you, including the small matter of the KINGDOM OF GOD”. While all positive New Year resolutions aimed at bettering spiritual life are laudable, how about a lifetime resolution in the beginning of 2021 that is targeted at “deactivating” the spiritual WMDs in our lives?

Prayer: Father, enable us to keep our priorities clear in order that we may love thee unreservedly. In Jesus’ Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Hyderabad-India

Announcements
Winter is well upon us. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, it means cooler temperatures, more precipitation, shorter days ... But for those of you in the Southern Hemisphere, it means summer! In the midst of whatever life is throwing your way today, remember that, just like the seasons come to an end, your troubles will as well, and at the end of the long winter, there is always a summer awaiting you!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 06 Jan 2022, 8:47 pm

In the first part of our series titled "Now These WMDs Are Deadly! we saw how God's gift of relationships can become a false god if not completely submitted to Him. In the second and penultimate part of our series, let’s focus on four more serious and legitimate distractions that we need to be wary of…

2. Education

For a young Christian who has accepted the Lord, it is not at all wrong to aspire for good education. The problem begins when the pursuit of knowledge (after getting admission in a good educational institution) becomes more important to him than the pursuit of wisdom, which can be obtained only by spending quality time at the ‘feet of the Lord’… a la Mary (See Luke 10:38-42). Distraction from devotions at a young age on account of education would be a case of the medicine becoming more harmful than the disease.

Put the Lord first in all matters of life, including education, and He would crown your efforts, yes even in the field of education with, success: “Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” (Proverbs 3:6 NLT. See also Matt. 6:33). Would somebody care to check this with a certain Daniel and his three friends? (See Daniel 1:17-20)

3. Occupation

For a moment, let’s imagine a young Christian comes out of his college precincts spiritually unscathed. Naturally, the prayer of this starry-eyed job aspirant would be “Lord, help me land a perfect job and I will praise you in front of my entire church”. However on getting a wonderful job from the Lord, if he tragically gets so absorbed in it to the detriment of his own spiritual life with personal quality time, Church worship, fellowshipping et al trashed, then a crushing failure in job assignments would be just around the corner. That would be the Lord’s way of getting His child’s attention. I can vouch for it on the basis of personal experience.

Why learn it the hard way? A busy vice-regent of a land with pressing responsibilities studiously took time out to pray three times in a day. The result? He prospered! Oh yes, I am speaking of Daniel again (See Daniel 6:28)!

4. Possession

Besides the basics of life, it’s not a sin to aspire for comforts in life, for they add to our work efficiency. For instance, I can well imagine my predicament whilst standing in the pulpit on a hot summer day and preaching. The pouring sweat on account of the sweltering summer heat would sap my energy halfway through my message, besides being a source of irritation and distraction to the congregation and to me. In these circumstances, the utility of a cool breeze coming from a ceiling fan can never be understated. On the flip side, if I am possessed by the urge to possess all the comforts and luxuries, then I am ripe for trouble…a la Balaam (See 2 Peter 2:15). In these days of plastic money, let’s exercise due caution when it comes to accumulating all the goody-goodies of life. A maxed credit card, said a wise soul, adds no credit to the credibility of a Christian. How true!

If you already you know that godliness with contentment is a great gain (“Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.” 2 Timothy 6:6 NLT), then you would do well to remember this Divine promise too that God richly provides what we need for our enjoyment: “Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.” (2 Tim 6:17). Oh how blessed is a wise child of God who is always able to draw the line between ‘what he wants and what he actually needs’.

5. Television

If diabetes and hypertension in the medical world are known as silent killers, then the same can be said of this invention of John Logie Baird in the spiritual realm. Though strictly speaking, it may not be the most silent of our comely gadgets at home, it morphs into a silent killer in the hands of the ‘Ole enemy’ on account of its uncanny knack of doing the damage silently, putting us into a spiritual sleep as it were on its lap…remember a certain Delilah (See Judges 19:9)? Just when there is a prompting of the indwelling Holy Spirit to do something useful like visiting a sick brother or send an encouraging e-mail, comes the urge from our spiritual foe to see a perfectly legitimate TV programme, which can be as pure as a Quiz time or even a sermon. The end result? The good intention remains a good intention without ever acquiring the contours of a good action. Remember, having ‘a good aim’ is of no use, unless you ‘pull’ the trigger. Oh, how many middle-class families have prayed ‘Lord, give us a TV, we would watch nothing but Christian Channels!” So often they end up watching all programmes other than those channels! While, I am not against reinvigorating relaxation courtesy of the TV, I am all for discretion borne out of God-given wisdom to know where wholesome entertainment ends and where plain time-wasting begins.

Prayer: Father, enable us to keep our priorities clear in order we love thee unreservedly. In Jesus’ Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Hyderabad-India

Announcements
God loves you!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 05 Jan 2022, 1:46 am

THESE WMPs Are Deadly! Part 1
By Pastor Suresh Manoharan
------------------------------------------
January 4, 2022

At this time of New Year, I am not referring to the stock-pile of weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) in the arsenals of Superpowers. Rather, I intend to focus in this 3 part series on WMDs of a different kind, ones that are just as deadly to a Christian’s spiritual life.

Now what exactly are these abbreviated WMDs in the life of a Child of God? Without keeping my readership in any further suspense, let me bring forth the expansion of the said abbreviation in the spiritual realm: “Weapons of Mass distraction”!

Ironically, these WMDs are not forbidden sins such as theft, adultery, murder, lying etc., but rather they are blessings given to us by a benevolent God, which are then deceitfully used by the Enemy with devastating effects to draw us from the pure, simple devotion we are supposed to have for our Redeemer God: : “But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ." (2 Cor 11:3 NIV). In order for us to avoid lowering our spiritual guard in any way -- for it would result in us being outwitted -- it would serve us well to comprehend what these blessings that can double up as lethal spiritual WMDs actually are!

First things first…

Before we proceed even by a proverbial step, wouldn’t it be worthwhile to recollect the primary purpose behind our election as the Bride of Christ? In this context, let me quote from the The Living Bible “I am anxious for you with the deep concern of God himself –anxious that your love should be for Christ alone, just as a pure maiden saves her love for one man only, for the only one who will be her husband” (12 Cor 11:2 TLB).Sadly, the gifts that I will be listing in this three part series, given to us by the generous Giver of all gifts, can subtly be used by our spiritual adversary to completely divert our spiritual focus, so much so that we could unconsciously end up glorifying the gifts rather than the Giver. Now unto the first part of our series…

1. Relationship

The good Lord is the source behind all loving relationships, both the parental and the marital ones, to name a few. They have all been lovingly placed in our lives to accomplish a purpose. If it is one of sustenance and guidance in the case of parent-child relationship, than it is one of companionship and fellowship in the case of relationships beginning with the tying of a nuptial knot. However, for a doting parent, when his offspring becomes an idol, and by the same token in a conjugal bond when the object of affection becomes a competitor to God in the matter of devotion, we have a ‘hot potato in our hands’ meaning simply ‘big trouble’.

Sadly do not we see this disturbing trend in Christian parents, especially those blessed with a child after many years of marriage? Far from being ready ‘to lay their Issac on the altar’ at God’s bidding, they lay down their own spiritual welfare ‘at the altar of their Issac’.

Time hitherto well spent in Church meetings, cottage prayer meetings and personal devotions is now utilized in either taking the child for an outing or preparing for his exams. Misplaced love dearly cost a doting parent like the High priest Eli (See 1 Sam. 2:11-3:14/1 Sam 4:1-18), for firstly his parental love blinded him to the primary responsibility of training up his sons in a way they should go. On a more serious plane, it prevented him from seriously reining them in once they had departed from the Lord’s ways. If the good Lord, through His patented “tricks or kicks”, is setting Christian parents right in their pathway of following Him with correct priorities, then they would do well to praise the Lord for the necessary discipline the all-wise Parent has brought into their lives, lest they too be dubbed in the Heavenly circles with a dubious title ‘a parent like Eli’.

Coming to skewed priorities in a marital bond, we all know what happened when the very first husband Adam listened more to God’s gift to him rather than the Giver of the gift (See Genesis 3:6). To say that we are still suffering from the ‘after-effects’ of the world’s first hubby’s distorted priorities would simply be a case of stating the obvious (See Romans 8:22-23).

On His part, our Lord has made it very clear: He wants no competition! 

“If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine.” (Matt. 10:37 NLT) “...for loving even our near and dear ones more than the Lord would amount to pure idol worship” (1 John 5:21 NLT). Nothing more, nothing less and nothing else!!!

The key to keeping these precious relationships (parental or marital) in proper perspective lies in accepting them with much thanksgiving from the hands of the Lord: “For everything God made is good, and we may eat it gladly if we are thankful for it, and if we ask God to bless it, for it is made good by the Word of God and prayer.” (1 Tim. 4:4-5 TLB), thereby always remembering that the Giver of all gifts deserves the best of our affection. 

Prayer: Father, enable us to keep our priorities clear in order we love thee unreservedly. In Jesus’ Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Hyderabad-India

Announcements
Submit your prayer requests to us in one of three ways: 
- Via Email -- Send requests here
- Via What'sApp -- Send requests to +91 98696 68137 
- Via Facebook: Visit our Facebook members page, send a private message to Answer to all Prayers; or if you wish your prayer request to be published on the main answers2prayer facebook wall, click here and post your prayer request! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 01 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm

Happy New Year!
The question on each of our minds is this: What does this new year hold in store for each of us? Will there be more trouble? Will this year's troubles make last year's look like a walk in the park? Or ... perhaps ... will this year bring me my ... heart's desires?

Of course, we all know the secret to having our hearts' desire, right? It's written plainly in scripture, right? "Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart’s desires." (Psalm 37:4 NLT). That's simple enough, right? If we want this new year to bring us our hearts' desires, we need to simply, "take delight in the Lord..."!

I just read a story, however, that made me rethink this. It made me ask, "Do I truly even know what my heart desires? And if I do, is the desire of my heart what is right for me, for everyone?"

The story is found in 1 Samuel 8. The prophet, Samuel, had been judging Israel for many, many years, and he was growing old. Unfortunately, his sons, whom he had appointed to judge Israel in his stead, were not trustworthy as Samuel was: "But they were not like their father, for they were greedy for money. They accepted bribes and perverted justice." (1 Samuel 8:3 NLT). The people had enough, and they began to think about what their hearts desired in regards to who led their nation. It didn't take them to realize that what their hearts desired was... A king! "Finally, all the elders of Israel met at Ramah to discuss the matter with Samuel. 'Look,' they told him, 'you are now old, and your sons are not like you. Give us a king to judge us like all the other nations have.'" (1 Samuel 8:4-5 NLT).

But there was a problem with what the hearts of the people of Israel desired: It wasn't God's will to give them a king. God wished to be their king, and this was God's reply when Samuel took the matter before the Lord: “'Do everything they say to you,' the Lord replied, 'for they are rejecting me, not you. They don’t want me to be their king any longer.'" (1 Samuel 8:7 NLT).

Notice, however, that God doesn't say, "Tell them 'NO'!" Rather, in His love, He tells Samuel to give them the desire of their hearts. He tells Samuel to give them a king, just as they requested!

Was it the best thing for Israel?

Not at all. In fact, God had Samuel give the people a list of reasons why they didn't really want a king. Samuel responded to the people: “This is how a king will reign over you...” (vs. 11 NLT), and he proceeded to list out many excellent reasons. Nonetheless, God told Samuel to give them what they wanted.

Much could be said here about why God did this. Perhaps it was because the people had so repeatedly rejected Him. But the point of this devotional isn't about why. It's about the fact that God granted them their hearts' desire, even when it wasn't a good thing for them.

In the midst of the first summer of the COVID-19 pandemic, I knew exactly what my heart desired: I trailer with a bathroom so that we could go camping without having to worry about using public washrooms. I told God about this, and I claimed the promise of Psalms 37:4. I knew exactly what I wanted, too, and I watched the used RV ads closely until I found one that we could afford. I was sure God was granting me this desire of my heart, and we proceeded to purchase the trailer. Upon getting it home, however, it became apparent that my desire wasn't necessarily inline with His will. Not knowing much about used trailers, we overlooked several key problems, problems that cost a lot of money to fix. And the "fixes" were just that: fixes! The trailer was still old, and we had no idea when the next thing would break/fall-off, etc.

I went back to the Lord and asked Him why He hadn't stopped me from buying this trailer.

His response? He was giving me my heart's desire!

Where had I gone wrong?

The same place Israel of old went wrong: We both skipped an all important step! Neither Israel nor myself bothered to ask God if our hearts' desires were in line with His will...

There is a safeguard in this Bible verse. It tells us that God will give us the desires of our hearts when we, "Take delight in the Lord..."

What does it mean to "take delight" in the Lord?

It means to be with Him, to enjoy His company, to seek His guidance, to respect His wisdom. Had Israel not been so busy convincing themselves they wanted a king, they might have heard His voice of wisdom through Samuel, telling them it would be better for them to allow Him to be their king. And had I not been so busy telling God how much I wanted a trailer, I might have heard His voice of wisdom telling me it would be better to wait...

What is it your heart desires this New Year? Why not spend some time seeking the Lord and taking delight in His presence? When you do, the desires of your heart will come inline with His desires for you, and you will be sure that what you get is truly the best thing for you!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Just what IS love, anyway? Check out "Lessons In Love From 1 Corinthians 13", a mini-series by Soyna Richards, to find out!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 31 Dec 2021, 12:37 am

"Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises (footnote: dwell in the praises) of Israel.  In you our fathers trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them." (Psalms 22:33 ESV)

When I collect my youngest daughter Sophia from school during Covid19 times she often rushes out to me and, with both hands, grabs onto my outstretched arm holding the bags.   As an old dad it is very flattering to have such an uninhibited show of affection from ones daughter, even if my back does not thank her for the jolt. It is an outward sign of her total trust in my fatherly love and security, an expression of release from the strictures of school.

It is such a moving event for me to be a part of, which melts my heart, but I make no big deal about it as we make our way together, her clinging on to my arm like one part of a courting couple, through the melee of parents and children at the school gates.

In the Old Testament we find that the Ark of the Covenant went out before the battles and lead the way for the people of God in the desert.  It was a physical adjunct to the presence of God dwelling with His people.  Somewhere after Chronicles it got lost in the mists of time and the Exile, probably stripped of its gold, re-appropriated and the wood burnt for fire.  God had left, as He promised He would when the people broke the covenant of mutual love, by reneging in heart and action. 

Of course in the New Testament, Jesus came to redress the problem of Israel’s lost hope of God’s Love, being distanced from God.  In the process He brought the prospect of hope,light, into the whole world.

Romans 12:1 and Hebrews 12:28 tells us that we should be grateful because of the tremendous gift of mercy and grace given to us in and through Jesus.  Our praise and gift is to be the only thing we have, ourselves.

So when worshipping and praising God recently I had this mind’s-eye picture of me holding onto God's arm, just like my daughter had done to me at school.

With all my flaws and issues I know that I am free from the past and I have a future hope set in Jesus, because as I give myself, I know I am accepted, loved and secure with Him from the world about us as we go through life together.  

So if you are feeling on your own, left out, or struggling with a situation beyond your control, join with me to rush into the arms of Jesus today and hold on tight. 

Immanuel, God with us.  He will carry us through the storm.

Prayer: LORD, without You we are lost.  We praise You, worship You, adore You. In You we set our hope and hold on tight to Your Love for us that has opened the door into eternal life, in Jesus’ name, amen.

Rod Marshall

Announcements
God and the church: Made for each other. Come and explore this beautiful relationship in "The Inseparable Duo".

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 29 Dec 2021, 3:58 pm

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (Hebrews 13:8 NIV)

"An Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him with the words: 'And this, too, shall pass away.' How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!" (Abraham Lincoln 1809–1865)

A few years ago I made a New Year resolution to never again make New Year resolutions.  I’m not sure what the origins of this strange custom are, but what I do know is that when made they are very easily broken.    Have you made any New Year resolutions?  You may feel that the New Year demands some changes.  And resolutions do usually involve change - to do or not to do this or that - but if we are honest we have to admit that they are seldom kept.  There is little doubt that this New Year will see some dramatic changes, particularly in the fields of technology and health.  This past generation or two has seen tremendous changes in the way we do things and made us aware of the advantages science can bring.  In that past year of the world-wide pandemic health sciences have been to the forefront.  Some of us may resist change, preferring to do things the way we always did.  But you can’t stop progress, all you can hope to do is delay your personal acceptance of it and its consequences.  Change has always been with us.  In fact there is biblical recognition of this.  A very common phrase in the Good Book is “And it came to pass” signifying happenings or changes. But the Bible also brings us news of things that will never change, everlasting things.  In this bright New Year we need to remember the promise of the forgiveness of sins, the knowledge of salvation and that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

The hymn writers of years gone by captured these thoughts of permanence.  That prolific composer Isaac Watts wrote these words in his best known hymn: ‘O God, our help in ages past, our hope for years to come’ and ‘From everlasting thou art God, to endless years the same’.  More than a hundred years later, T.O. Chisholm wrote: ‘Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father, there is no shadow of turning with Thee; Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not, as Thou hast been Thou for ever wilt be’.

There is great comfort in those words and in God’s promises.  As Chisholm concluded in that wonderful hymn: ‘Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth, Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide; strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside’.

"The year is closed, the record made, The last deed done, the last word said. The memory alone remains Of all its joys, its griefs, its gains. And now with purpose full and clear, We turn to meet another year" (Robert Browning)

May we live as God intended, in a world at peace and concerned for our fellow man, with the awareness of His love in every sunset, every flower's unfolding petals, every baby's smile, every lover's kiss, and every wonderful, astonishing, miraculous beat of our heart.

Have a good week,  Pastor Ron Clarke

Optional Bible readings: Matthew 3:1-12 and Matthew 15:1-20.

This is one of a series of weekly messages of encouragement, now in its twenty-sixth year, originating from Gympie, Fraser Coast, Queensland, Australia. A companion Bible study page is available each week. To subscribe via email send to w4w2@bigpond.com with the words 'Subscribe Word (or) Subscribe Word & Study'. Our ministry is free and emailing lists are confidential. Tell a friend or why not put a note in your church newsletter or pew sheet about this ministry - we welcome new subscriptions.Pastor Ron Clarke OAMWord for the WeekMbl.: +61 488 424 321

Announcements
Do you ever wonder how the devil succeeds in trapping so many of God's children? Check out CHECKMATE…Pal! A mini-series 
https://scripturalnuggets.org/category/mini-series/checkmate-pal/by Brother Suresh Manoharan designed to help us recognize and avoid the of the traps devil!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 25 Dec 2021, 6:30 pm

Throughout the month of December, the Nugget will be featuring articles focused on important lessons in our Spiritual walk that we can learn from Christmas. This 11 part series features several different authors, but the focus is the same: How can the celebration of Christ’s birth help us in our daily walk with Christ? Today’s lesson is the fourth of a 4-part mini-series from Nugget moderator and author, Lynona Gordon Chaffart…

All through the Month of December, we’ve been looking at what spiritual lessons the Christmas season can teach us. Today is Christmas Day, and there are so many more lessons we can learn from Christmas. As our final lesson in this series, however, I believe that it is fitting today to focus on Jesus’ first visitors, the Shepherds and the Wisemen.

The story of the Wisemen is recorded in the book of Matthew, while the story of the Shepherds is recorded in Luke. Both passages are familiar to us, and each describes a very different set of events. What do these have in common?

First of all, in both accounts the parties in question were visited supernaturally. The Shepherds by an angel choir: “Suddenly, the angel was joined by a vast host of others—the armies of heaven—praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in highest heaven, and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.’” (Luke 2:13-14 NLT); and the Wisemen by a star: “About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, ‘Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.’” (Matthew 2:2-3 NLT) The first lesson to be learned is how God uses a large variety of different means to communicate with us, ones that will catch our attention at the proper time. The Wisemen were likely men who studied the night skies and would be familiar with the appearance of something out of the ordinary; therefore, God sent a star. The Shepherds on the other hand would have had the care of and protection of their sheep as their primary priority. As preoccupied as they were, God knew it would take something very obvious to get their attention, and He sent the Heavenly angelic choir. We can be sure that God will use the method that will best catch our attention as well. Our only job is to be willing and watching for that encounter with God.

The second lesson to be learned from these two very different stories has to do with what each party did once God had their attention: “…the shepherds said to each other, ‘Let’s go to Bethlehem! Let’s see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about…” (Luke 2:15,16 NLT). Likewise, the Wisemen from the Far East showed up in Jerusalem saying, “Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.” (Matt. 2:2-3 NLT) We can surmise from this that when the Wisemen saw the star, they left their homes and set out to find the Baby Jesus. Neither group needed a second sign. Both were convinced that now was the time for action.

What do we do when we have had the privilege of hearing God’s voice? Do we drop everything, as did the shepherds and the Wisemen? Or do we wait, asking for another sign, seeking confirmation? Or, perhaps we decided to ignore the whole thing. I’m not saying that it is wrong to pray about something and ask God for confirmation. However when we have no doubt that God has spoken to us, we need to follow the leads of the Wisemen and the shepherds! We need to drop what we’re doing and act!

Another lesson from these different stories involves what each group of men did once they found the Christ child: “[The Wisemen] entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh…” (Matthew 2:10-11 NLT). The Shepherds’ response was a bit different: “After seeing him, the shepherds told everyone what had happened and what the angel had said to them about this child. All who heard the shepherds’ story were astonished…” (Luke 2:15-16 NLT). After their encounter with the Christ Child, they went out and told everyone what they had experienced.

Although both groups reacted differently, the lesson we can learn is this: An encounter with God will result in a response on our part. We will either worship Him or give Him gifts or go out and tell others about what we’ve seen and heard, and sometimes we’ll do all of these things. Whatever God puts in our hearts, we must … do it!

One final thought… Notice that the Bible doesn’t record the shepherds “preached”. It just says they, “told everyone what had happened.” We don’t have to be trained ministers to share what God has done for us. In fact, we can touch hearts in a much more personal way by just being ourselves, by focusing on sharing what God has done for us. And in case you are worried about the effectiveness of this method, remember what the Bible says about the Shepherds’ approach? “All who heard the shepherds’ story were astonished…”!

Would you like an encounter with God this Christmas? Seek Him, ever knowing that He will meet you in a way that you will understand. And once you’ve encountered God, press in! Seek Him further! Seek Him until you can’t stop yourself from reacting! Seek Him until you drop to your knees in worship and praise. Seek Him until you respond by giving Him gifts and by telling others of your encounter. That is how to honor God in our day and age! 

This is the last lesson from Christmas. We pray that the Christmas Season this year has resulted in you and your family drawing closer to our Lord and Saviour. I challenge you all to take what you’ve learned and apply it – not just at Christmas time, but ALL YEAR LONG!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
"The giving of gifts is not something man invented. God started the giving spree when He gave a gift beyond words, the unspeakable gift of His Son."

~ Robert Flatt ~

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looking for Jesus Peace for Christmas? It all starts by giving your heart to Jesus Christ and accepting His Christmas gift to you. To do so, please click here

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 23 Dec 2021, 6:46 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 Generi16

Throughout the month of December, the Nugget will be featuring articles focused on important lessons in our Spiritual walk that we can learn from Christmas. This 11 part series features several different authors, but the focus is the same: How can the celebration of Christ’s birth help us in our daily walk with Christ? Today’s lesson is the third of a 4-part mini-series from Nugget moderator and author, Lynona Gordon Chaffart…

Last Thursday, we took a look at how all the signs of Christmas around about each of us reminds us to spend time praising God.

This is an interesting  thought, really, especially with such Bible verses as the following: “I will praise the LORD at all times. I will constantly speak his praises.” (Psalms 34:1 NLT) I mean, let’s be realistic here: How can one constantly praise God?

Yet this is what we are admonished to do.

I had another “praise conundrum” when I read Psalms 148: “Praise him, sun and moon! Praise him, all you twinkling stars!Praise him, skies above! Praise him, vapors high above the clouds! Let every created thing give praise to the Lord, for he issued his command, and they came into being. He set them in place forever and ever. His decree will never be revoked.” (Vs. 3-6 NLT) Can someone please tell me how a “thing” can praise God? How can the sun praise God? It has no mouth! How can the moon praise God? It doesn’t even have its own light source! And what about the skies and the vapors? These things have no brains, no means of independent thought!

But wait. Perhaps understanding how the works of God’s creation can praise Him will give us some insight into how we can praise Him constantly!

So just how does the sun praise God?

By doing what it was created to do: by burning brightly to warm and light the Earth, and by spinning around and creating a gravitational pull that keeps the planets in orbit!

What about the moon? Just how does the moon praise God? By obediently following its orbital pattern around the earth; by continually reflecting the light of the sun.

How do the skies and the vapours praise God? By existing in obedience to God’s ultimate plan!

We don’t need a mouth to praise God. Hey! We don’t even need a brain to praise Him! What we do need is to be where He wants us to be, doing what He has created us to do! We need to live in obedience to Him; we need to fulfill the calling He has placed on our lives! And in doing so, we are praising God … Not only once in awhile when we think about it; but all the time! And when we do, we are fulfilling the Bible’s suggestion that we praise Him ALL the time!

If simply being, fulfilling our purpose, obeying God’s commands all give Him honor and glory and praise, then it’s easy to praise God all the time, right? So we don’t need the reminders of the Christmas season to praise Him, right?

If only it were so easy. In a society where most of us are not comfortable with what we were created to be, this becomes increasingly difficult. In a world that “expects” us to live one way or another, where insecurity hampers our every move, most of us don’t even know who we were created to be or what God would have us to do with our lives...

Yes, the deeper you think on this one, the more complex it becomes…

But the message of Christmas is not a complex one. Could it be that we are overthinking this whole idea of praising God? What if we were to focus on one thing alone: The wonders of the Christ Child?

The Baby Jesus would grow up in a hostile world. He would be badgered by temptation, the same way we are. He would be ridiculed and beaten and bullied and mocked. Yet just like the sun and the moon continually praise God in their very being, Jesus did the same. In His obedience, in His willingness to be led by the Spirit of God, Jesus’ very life was a melody of praise; and He accomplished this by spending time with God, by loving Him enough to make Him His #1 priority. Jesus prayed, sometimes for the entire night, and He was always listening and watching for where God was at work (“My Father is always working, and so am I.” John 5:17 NLT; “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.” John 5:19 NLT)

We may not be God incarnate, but we can pray and seek God’s face.

Okay. That sounds simple enough. But with all the distractions around us, it’s not always easy to hear God’s voice, to recognize the purpose He has placed on our lives.

Here again, the answer is the same: We must contemplate the Christ Child. He lived a life of perfect submission, always showing love to those around Him, always being God’s hands and feet on this Earth. We can follow in His steps. We, too, can strive to live lives of perfect submission, always seeking where we can be God’s hands and feet on Earth. We can show selfless love to those around us

How do we praise God continually? By following the example of the Christ-Child! By continually seeking God, and by being His hands and feet on earth, ever reaching out to one another in selfless love!

And that is the lesson we can learn from Christmas!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
"Once in our world, a stable had something in it that was bigger than our whole world."

~ C.S. Lewis ~

Looking for Jesus Peace for Christmas? It all starts by giving your heart to Jesus Christ and accepting His Christmas gift to you. To do so, please click here

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Dec 2021, 7:36 pm

Throughout the month of December, the Nugget will be featuring articles focused on important lessons in our Spiritual walk that we can learn from Christmas. This 11 part series features several different authors, but the focus is the same: How can the celebration of Christ’s birth help us in our daily walk with Christ? Today’s lesson is from Joseph J. Mazzella…

"Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." (Heb. 13:16 ESV)

It was a cold, Winter’s day many years ago.  Christmas was just a few short days away and I was walking into a store to try and stretch the few dollars I had in my wallet into Christmas presents for my children.  I looked through the aisles in the store hoping to find something they wanted that I could afford.  I tried to remember the childhood Christmas presents that I liked the best when I was a boy but for the life of me couldn’t think of a single one.  What I did remember was me and my brothers sitting under the tree carefully looking for packages with our names on them.  I remembered my Mom’s sweet smile as she watched us.  I remembered Dad’s loud laugh as we struggled to rip off the wrapping paper.  I remembered my Nana’s happy, high-pitched “Hello” as she walked over to join in the fun.  What I remembered was being thought about and cared for.  What I remembered was the love.  I knew then that any gifts that I picked out would be good because I was giving them with all the love in my heart.

I realized something else too.  In this life the gifts you give at Christmas aren’t that important. It is the gifts you give every single day that are important.  It is the smile you share when you see someone you love.  It is the kind acts you do when you think no one is looking.  It is the gentle words you say.  It is the hugs you give.  It is the encouragement you pass on.  It is the prayers you offer up for another.  Every day of our lives there are countless gifts we can give, limitless love we can share, and so much joy we can create.  In truth, everyday can be Christmas day if we only choose to make it so.

God loves us so much.  I think this life is God’s gift to us, and how we live it is our gift to God. Live it with love then.  Make it the greatest gift in the world.  And have a very Merry Christmas every single day of your life!

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements
"The great challenge left to us is to cut through all the glitz and glam of the season that has grown increasingly secular and commercial, and be reminded of the beauty of the One who is Christmas."

~ Bill Crowder ~

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 07 Dec 2021, 9:14 pm

Throughout the month of December, the Nugget is featuring valuable lessons that we can learn from the Christmas season -- not just for Christmas, but ALL YEAR LONG! Today’s lesson comes to us from Nugget Writer, Shirley Moulton... 

Decorating the Christmas tree is an integral part of the celebrations each year.  I once helped out at a commercial Christmas tree farm near Ottawa in December.  It was an impressive operation; planting spruce, balsam fir and pine trees years in advance in irrigated fields, well planned to have enough trees to be hand-cut by visiting families each year.  The tree-shaker machine would shake off any loose conifer needles, and the binder tied each tree in a tidy bundle, to be tied securely to the top of the car, heading home for decoration and cheer.

Trees are frequently spoken of in the Scriptures.  Noah was brought an olive branch, while in the Ark.  Abraham rested under the oaks of Mamre.  Moses worshipped God before the burning bush.  Zacchaeus climbed a sycamore tree to get a better view of Jesus.  Trees are the oldest growing plants in the world, earning a new tree ring each year.  Ezekiel speaks of trees in prophecy: “All the trees of the field will know that I am the LORD; I will bring down the high tree, exalt the low tree, dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish.  I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will perform it.”  (Ezekiel 17:24 NASB)

This verse was part of a prophecy,  as God would bring low the kings of Israel, and prosper the line of David, the future king.  The family of David is often described as the root of Jesse, a branch growing up from the stump.  Jesus the Messiah was a descendant of David the king, who began life as a tender sapling, but grew to be tall and eminent in the Holy Spirit.  He ended His life on a cross, a tree stripped of its roots and branches, to pay the price for our sins and offer the way to new life with God.

When your family decorates the Christmas tree this year, with favourite and cherished ornaments, do it with a new sense of wonder at the coming of Jesus the Messiah, the branch of Jesse.  May I wish you a joyful Christmas and blessed New Year.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
As you prepare for the celebration of the world's greatest birth, why not give back to Jesus the greatest gift YOU could ever give HIM! Why not give Him your heart? 

You can do so in one of three ways:
1. You can view our Salvation video;
2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, or contact us via What’sApp at +1 (473) 417-8412, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 04 Dec 2021, 11:07 pm

Throughout the month of December, the Nugget will be featuring articles focused on important lessons in our Spiritual walk that we can learn from Christmas. This 11 part series features several different authors, but the focus is the same: How can the celebration of Christ’s birth help us in our daily walk with Christ? Today’s lesson is from Nugget Moderator and Author, Lynona Gordon Chaffart…

I was concerned last year that Christmas would not be the same. After all, our “out-west” kids couldn’t be there, and we had to “think outside the box” to even be able to share Christmas with my aging mom. And as I dutifully began preparing for the season, it was hard to get in to the season…

It was the Chinese houseguest we had last year that change things for me. Although she had been in Canada for the past four years and had come to recognize many of our Christmas traditions as “the Christmas feeling”, she had never really celebrated Christmas before. Everything was new and wonderous in her eyes. At first even her excitement didn’t get to me, but with each passing day and each enthusiastic comment, I slowly began to once again feel that Christmassy feeling that comes from contemplating the wonders of the Christ Child.

It was actually the day she commented about Christmas smells that did it for me. I was baking pumpkin muffins, and that spicy mix of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice permeated the air, prompting the enthusiastic comment from our house guest: "Ummm! It smells sooo much like Christmas!”

It made me think. First of all about Christmas… I had never really contemplated the thought before, but yes! The spicy scent was an odor we associate with Christmas! And as I sat there breathing in the wafting steam off my cup of Gingerbread Spice tea, I realized that it was, indeed, starting to feel a lot like Christmas!

We associate so much with the gift of smell. It enhances our ability to taste, and thus is a vital part of our enjoyment of food – Just ask someone who has lost their sense of smell and they will agree that food just doesn’t taste the same! It is also said that a lot of memory is stored up in our sense of smell. A simple waft, and we’re transported back in time. And the permeating smell of a room will often dictates whether or not we enter and how long we stay. A sweet-smelling place welcomes us to stay indefinitely, whereas a particular stench in the room will drive us away.

It made me think. What is the “odor” of Christ? What “smells” do people come to associate with Christians? Do we draw people in? Or do we push them away?

Of course I’ve made a jump here from a literal odor to a figurative one; but given the stark associations we make through our sense of smell, I don’t believe it is too long of a stretch. Someone who is filled with Christ’s Spirit draws others in. There is this aura of peace and joy, kindness and love, that is nearly irresistible; and just like the spicy smells associated with the Christmas season serve to draw us in to the Christmas spirit, this “aura” transports us away from the cares of life and draws us to God.  

Still not buying the association between God and our sense of smell?Check out these texts:

“For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing…” (2 Cor. 2:15 ESV)

“As a pleasing aroma I will accept you, when I bring you out from the peoples and gather you out of the countries where you have been scattered. And I will manifest my holiness among you in the sight of the nations.” (Ez. 20:41 ESV)

Such texts remind us that as Christians, we do put off a smell. Is this odor a “pleasing aroma”? Is it “the aroma of Christ to God”? Unfortunately, not all Christians always portrays such a drawing picture. We have our moments, yes, but much of the time it is hard to distinguish us from others in the world. We can be as mean and selfish as the next, and that kind of an “odor” will not draw others to Christ. Rather, it serves to drive them away!

As we enjoy the beautiful, spicy smells associated with Christmas this year, let's let it remind us of our “spiritual odor”. Let’s all ask God to fill us with His Spirit, to mold and make us into “spicy” Christians -- Christians with an “aura” of peace, joy, kindness and love – Christians that portray a picture of Christ that will draw others to Him!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
"We consider Christmas as the encounter, the great encounter, the historical encounter, the decisive encounter, between God and mankind. He who has faith knows this truly; let him rejoice."

~ Pope John Paul VI ~

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 02 Dec 2021, 9:53 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 Jesusb16
Throughout the month of December, the Nugget will be featuring articles focused on important lessons in our Spiritual walk that we can learn from Christmas. This 11 part series features several different authors, but the focus is the same: How can the celebration of Christ’s birth help us in our daily walk with Christ? Today’s lesson is from Lynne Phipps…

"That night some shepherds were in the fields outside the village, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly an angel appeared among them, and the landscape shone bright with the glory of the Lord. They were badly frightened, but the angel reassured them. "Don't be afraid!" he said. "I bring you the most joyous news ever announced, and it is for everyone! The Savior — yes, the Messiah, the Lord — has been born tonight in Bethlehem! How will you recognize him? You will find a baby wrapped in a blanket, lying in a manger!" (Luke 2:8-12 TLB)

Sometimes, things happen in our lives that we remember forever. All of us have such memories and stories, and they are often ones that we repeat to others throughout our lifetime. I expect that that was what it was like for the shepherds so long ago on the night that the Saviour was born.

At first, they were badly frightened by the appearance of the angels, but then, they received peace within when they understood who they were and from whom they had come. Then, after talking among themselves, they ran to find out if what the angels had told them was true. And it was.

Later, as they returned to their flocks, they told everyone they met what had happened to them. And somehow, I think that those shepherds kept talking about what had happened to them and whom they had seen with their own eyes, throughout their lifetime.

Likewise, each one of us has a story about how we met Jesus. For most of us, it is not about angels or seeing Him in the flesh, but it is about something within our hearts that occurred when we heard the gospel message and were moved by God's Spirit of truth to accept it for our very own: to believe it and to turn ourselves over to the forgiveness, grace, mercy, and the lordship of Jesus Christ through faith and obedience. Through this act, our lives have been changed for the better for eternity.

God has done great things for each of us, things that have been etched into our memories, just as what happened to the shepherds was engraved within theirs.

Therefore, when things happen in life that devastate us and threaten our faith to the depths of its core, we must take time to remember. We must recall whom we have believed and cling to what we knew in our hearts the very first time we placed our faith in the truth of God's Son. We must ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind all the times and ways in which God has been our help in times of trouble and to remind us of what we know in our hearts to be true, even when circumstances around us want us to believe otherwise.

We must keep telling our story of faith, even if it is only to ourselves. For as we do so, our hearts will be strengthened to keep trusting in the One in whom we have believed, the One the angels sang about and announced to the shepherds so long ago, the One who has said, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6 NIV)

Prayer: Father God, thank You for the truth that has been engraved on our hearts and in our minds concerning the Lord Jesus Christ, Saviour, Messiah, and Lord. Strengthen us and encourage us to remember and cling to this truth, that we may not fear even if the world blows up and the mountains crumble into the sea, for You and You alone are in control, Lord, and You always have our best interests at heart, for which we praise You. In Christ's name, we pray. Amen.

Lynne Phipps
Atlin, British Columbia, Canada
Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 30 Nov 2021, 10:12 pm

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 NIV)

My job during Sunday morning worship is to care for my infant granddaughter, while my daughter seeks to keep my two year old granddaughter occupied and as quiet as possible, a herculean task for sure.

Lindy sits on my lap and looks around at all the lights and the overhead fan, the stained glass window and the hymn book as we sing. Usually about half way through the service she begins to yawn and her head droops. I offer her, her soother and blanket and pull her tightly against me for comfort. Her eyes begin to close but then she suddenly jerks herself upright and begins once again to gaze around. Sleep keeps calling to her but she fights it as long as she can before finally too weary to continue she surrenders to much needed rest.

As this scenario unfolded again this past Sunday it struck me that as God's children we often do the same thing in regards to not surrendering to the rest that is offered to us in Christ. Too often we keep gazing at all our worries and concerns, struggling with them ourselves, trying to figure out a way to resolve them instead of trusting God with them and giving up our load of care. Other times we bear the burden of past sin and guilt, which in Christ has already been forgiven, yet still we hang onto it refusing to surrender it once and for all, allowing it to burden and weary us robbing us of our joy and the light of our salvation.

As I was pondering these things and listening to the Pastor speak, she began to discuss how lack of trust in God amidst hard and difficult times is a form of atheism. It is unbelief and focuses on self instead of on the Lord who is able amidst all our worries, cares, problems, sin and guilt. Our lack of surrender to the rest He offers us robs us of our witness to a hurting and fallen world. For if we, who are followers of Christ refuse to surrender to the rest that Christ's life, death and resurrection offer us where is our testimony to His life giving power, love and forgiveness?

As I contemplated and gazed down at my peacefully sleeping grandchild, nestled in my arms I committed anew to trust in Christ and the rest He offers in any and all situations which I may be wrestling with, past, present or future.

How about you? Are you weary and burdened? Are you struggling with worry, sin and guilt? If so don't you think that today might just be a great day to surrender it, once and for all, to the One who is holding us close to Himself that we might find both comfort and rest nestled securely in His arms.

Prayer: Father God, thank You so much for the rest which Christ offers to each and everyone who in faith and trust lay down their burdens before Him. Bless us with the will to do so that our witness and testimony might shine brightly for You in a world burden by worry, strife, sin and care. In Christ's name we ask. Amen.

Lynne Phepps
Atlin, B.C.

Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 27 Nov 2021, 4:48 pm

As we wrap up this series on modern day sacrifices, it is extremely important to note this last point: “…the most holy offerings—including the grain offerings, sin offerings, and guilt offerings—will be most holy…” (Numbers 18:9 NLT).

In one word, the offerings were considered—“holy”!

This isn’t a new idea. In Part 5 of this series, entitled “Perfect? Did You Say Perfect?”, we saw that only animals without blemish were to be given to the Lord. We also saw, from the story of Cain in Genesis, that the offerings were to be God-ordained (See Genesis 4). This point is further illustrated in one more sad story: “Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu … disobeyed the Lord by burning before him the wrong kind of fire, different than he had commanded.” (Leviticus 10:1 NLT). 

We get further insight into just why this “wrong kind of fire” was so offensive to God in Moses’ response: “This is what the Lord meant when he said, ‘I will display my holiness through those who come near me. I will display my glory before all the people.’” (Leviticus 10:3 NLT)

Such an explanation may not have made sense to you and me, but it made sense to Aaron, for after this explanation, “Aaron was silent” (Lev. 10:3b NLT).

The take away on this is simple: Our sacrifices are serious business! We cannot bring a Holy God sacrifices of our own volition! Our sacrifices need to be what He has pre-ordained, and they need to be given in the way God has directed us to give them. We need to understand that God is Holy and His precepts must not be taken lightly, for the consequences of such sacrifices is…Death! “So fire blazed forth from the Lord’s presence and burned [Nadab and Abihu] up, and they died there before the Lord.” (Leviticus 10:2 NLT).

Just an Old Testament story? Not applicable to modern-day sacrifices of time, talent, resources, worship and praise?

Take a quick look at Acts 5. Ananias and Sapphira promised to give back to the Lord everything they received from the sale of their land, but when they were not serious about their promise, their sacrifice became unholy: “Then Peter said, ‘Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?…You have not lied just to human beings but to God.’ When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died.” (Acts 5:3-5 NLT). Verse 10 records the same thing happening to his wife, Sapphira.

Unfortunately we are all guilty of giving “unholy” sacrifices to the Lord, but before you are struck with fear, before you decide that giving any sacrifice might be full of risk, consider that these two stories were turning points in the Bible. In the case of Nadab and Abihu, the temple services were just being established. In like manner, the story of Ananias and Sapphira also took place as the early church was just being established. These seemingly unfeeling and harsh punishments on these four people were meant to set guidelines that all further sacrifices could be modeled after.

The truth of the matter is, our God is gracious. We see this in His response to Cain, the first to offer an unholy sacrifice to the Lord: “Then the Lord said to Cain, ‘If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.’” (Gen. 4:6-7 NLT). We then see God, in His loving kindness, extending mercy to the first murderer: “When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth.” (Genesis 4:12 NLT). And when Cain, whom God had every right to kill outright for his double sin, had the audacity to complain about God’s punishment, we again see God extending His mercy and His grace: “’Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.’ Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.” (Genesis 4:15 NLT)

Despite how it may seem in the stories of Nadab, Abihu, Ananias and Sapphira, God isn’t in the business of striking sinners dead. He is in the grace business. Any doubt about that must flee at the mere thought of the cross. Nonetheless, we are called to be serious in our sacrifices, to remember that God is holy, and our sacrifices are not to be taken lightly. In order to do so, we must do everything in our power to:
a. preserve the essence of God’s commands in our sacrifices by ensuring they are pure. We do this by confessing our sins, repenting, putting away our guilt, pride, contempt, etc., and by ensuring that we have reconciled with those who may have something against us;
b, ensure that our offerings are for the Lord and for the sustaining of His workers, and when we are privileged to partake in some of our own sacrifices, that we share these liberally with all humanity;
c. ensure that our sacrifices reflect Jesus and influence the world for God’s kingdom;
d. recognize our dependency on God and on His Spirit.
When we are serious enough to consider all of the above, we can be certain that our sacrifices of time, talent, resources and worship will be considered “holy” before a “Holy God”!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Determination.jpg

This is the final part of the "What's in YOUR Sacrifice mini-series. Our hope and prayer is that this series has inspired you to give back to the Lord in your time, talent, resources and praise, and to do so in a way that is most pleasing to Him!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
The is the final part of the “What’s in YOUR Sacrifice” mini-series on how the rules and regulations of the Old Covenant can give us clues on the giving of New Covenant sacrifices of our time, our talent, our resources and our worship… If you have missed any part to this series, you can access it in its entirety by clicking here! Alternatively, send us an email, and we’ll be happy to forward you any parts you’ve missed.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 16 Sep 2021, 10:14 pm

Today, I received a sad text from a friend who informed me that a former co-worker had suddenly passed away. This person was special in every way. We kept in touch over the years and enjoyed many fun and lively conversations together, many of them about Jesus. His death leaves a hole in my heart and I will miss him tremendously. What saddens me is that I never had the chance to say goodbye.

As I relived our work adventures together and the fun we had, I began to ponder just how fragile our lives are. Sure, we all think of life as being a gift, but do we really slow down long enough to appreciate it? In all the hustle and bustle in our daily lives, do we take the time to reach out to those we love, to share a kind word, to say, “I love you?” And to do so, heaven forbid, before it’s too late.

I confess I’m not very good at this. I always tell my family I love them, but don’t typically do this with friends. My wife Diane, on the other hand, is highly adept at telling friends, and yes, even co-workers—that she loves them. She has a genuine heart for people and understands what it means to love one another as Jesus instructed; “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34, 35 NIV)
People gravitated to Jesus because He loved them without condition or strings attached. The same holds true for my wife. I’ve watched her turn hearts of stone to hearts of love and forgiveness. I’ve witnessed her repeatedly telling people she loves them, whether in person or while talking on the phone. She gets it. She understands Jesus’s love for us. In our sinful state, we don’t deserve our Savior’s love and sacrifice, but He freely gives it anyway.

I would have loved to be given the opportunity to chat with my friend Tim one last time. I fully expected I’d be given the chance. But that did not happen. My chance was gone—forever.

What I need to do now, is take a hard look at how my wife lives her life. She never wastes a chance to show Jesus’s love to others, to provide a listening ear, to offer a hug of support to a hurting world. I marvel at her ability to care for people from the depths of her heart—just as Jesus taught. “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ God forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32 NIV)

So, before it’s too late my friend—go tell somebody you love them. Don’t let the sun go down with the assumption that you can do it tomorrow. Today is all we have.

Paul Smyth

Announcements
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL FALL!
With Autumn already showing her colours throughout the Northern Hemisphere of our planet, with the children all back in school, let's all take a moment to reflect upon the blessings that God has granted us throughout this past summer. May God bless you abundantly and with abundance this fall!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 14 Sep 2021, 10:17 pm

Why is it that we can be so full of peace and joy one moment, but when one tiny things happens, our peace flies out the window?

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about Eph. 6:15: “For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.” (NLT). The total meaning of this particular piece of the armour of God has always eluded me. Recently, however, God has been placing on my heart the idea that though there are many important components to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, peace is the one being outlined here. Peace isn’t something we develop or earn; it is a gift that we received when we lay down our lives at Calvary’s Cross and allow Jesus’ cleansing blood to wash away our sins ("I am leaving you with a gift--peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid." John 14:27 NLT). The reason we don’t always feel that peace is that we don’t receive it. Or, in the words of Paul, we don’t put it on! But that peace isn’t just a “feel good” kind of thing. It is actually mentioned as part of God’s Armour, the part that makes us ready to stand firm, prepared, should something come along! Could it be that we so often fail in our fight against the devil because we don’t take the precaution of putting on our peace?

I woke up in total peace yesterday morning. I had donned God’s peace the day before about an upcoming needle biopsy of my thyroid, and that peace was still with me in the morning. I knew God was going to take care of everything in my day and my future, there was nothing to fear. The outcome of the needle biopsy was completely in His hands. God had this. He had it all!

Because I felt such peace about the upcoming medical procedure, however, I didn’t even think of needing to don the shoes of peace for the day…

About an hour later, a call came through. Someone was interested in buying our old trailer. I was flying high. I was sure this was God’s gift to me and excitement that can only come from the anticipation of a miracle burned through my veins. The person didn’t buy the trailer, however. Instead, he pointed out several potential problems with the trailer that I didn’t know were there…

Guess what?

Where I had been flying high all morning, I was now dragging the ground, completely overwhelmed with insecurity, fear, depression…to name a few of the assaulting demons! Of course, none of this was clear to me in the moment; rather, the only thing I knew was that I was stuck with a worthless trailer that no one would want to buy, and besides that, I had to have a needle biopsy because they were concerned about thyroid cancer…And all the other problems just piled up on top of all that!

It took me a while to figure out how I could have been so high in the morning and so low in the afternoon, but eventually I cried out to God to help me. Of course He came to my rescue. He always does: “This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him And saved him out of all his troubles.” (Ps. 34:6 ESV)! He began to help me see that because I awoke in such a happy mood, I had neglected to purposefully don the gospel of peace on my feet. I had been relying on my emotions, I had forgotten that I live in the middle of a battlefield and that I must go into each day fully clothed!

Of course, by this time, God’s peace seemed like an elusive wisp of nothingness, and it took some serious “God-time” for me to find it again. You can be certain that this morning, I made an effort put it, along with the rest of God’s armour, on! Amazing how calm and full of hope I feel!

Does God get upset at us when we don’t use His gifts, when we fall again and again into the same traps?

Not at all. I’m sure He would prefer that we not fall, but He is always there with His hand reaching out to help us, to pull us out of our problems, to wipe away our tears, and even to tell us He loves us and is proud of us for seeking help! But God took it a step farther yesterday. He gave me a promise that He would sell that trailer in a miraculous way. My only job was to accept the first offer that came in! As I write this, I am anticipating that offer, and my heart is full of total peace! Funny how the insecurity, the fear and the depression are just… gone!

It doesn’t matter in what state you wake up in the morning: Don’t forget to dress yourself in God’s armour… Especially paying attention to putting on the shoes of the gospel of peace! For when you do, you will be ready for the devil’s attacks of the day!

In His love,
Lyn

**P.S. God did sell our trailer, and for a reasonable price and minimal stress. The thyroid biopsy didn't show cancer, and though I would eventually have to have a hemithyroidectomy because of the benign cyst, He took care of all of the details, including my peace of mind. God's peace. It's worth pursuing!

Announcements
Feeling a little lost in this world? Patricia Quigley, a Nugget writer, has composed a song entitled: I'm Not From This World, which she sings with her granddaughter. You can view this song on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3Qq0UP8L0

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 11 Sep 2021, 8:07 pm

“It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31:8 NLT)

We’ve all been there: The urgent circumstances are completely out of our control. We are definitely “in the frying pan” of life, and there is only one thing we can do: Cry out to God!

I found myself in life’s “frying pan” the other day. I was still 170 km from home. I had been up since 4:30 am and had already driven 1150 km with a 5 hour break in Ottawa, and it was already 10:45 pm. The only upside as I drove through Toronto was that it was too late for much traffic, and the roads were, for once, moving smoothly. The problem was, I couldn’t stay awake. Nothing that I normally do to keep awake while driving was working, and I was definitely NOT alert enough for safe management of my vehicle. I began to cry out to God: “Lord, You know I have to get home, there’s NO place to stop, especially in Toronto during COVID, You will have to be the One to keep me awake!”

How does the expression go? “Out of the frying pan and into the fire”? Yup, it is so often the case that as we cry out to God in the middle of life’s “frying pan”, when our circumstances are so out of our control that there’s nothing we can do… Suddenly things begin to seem… worse!

As I attempted to stay awake on those Toronto highways, which at this point of my trip were 12 lanes wide, the rain began to fall. A light mist at first, just enough to mess with my ability to clearly see the road on that dark night with all the other traffic zipping by me. Then the heavens opened and the water dumped down. There was soon 10 cm or more of water on the road, and it was completely impossible to see the highway lines in the pounding rain. My windshield wipers couldn’t keep up with the water, there was major danger of hydroplaning, and to top it off, no one seemed to be slowing down! I had cried out to God from my “frying pan”, and now it seem that God had just dumped me… Into life’s “fire”!

We have two options in situations like these. The first is to believe that God doesn’t care enough about us and our circumstances to rescue us. This would be the logical way to think as we watch things get worse and worse… Or we could choose to believe that perhaps God, in His wisdom, is going to use the new problems to help with the first ones…

I was tempted to take the first option, but I have experienced God’s love for me so often and so profoundly, that I knew in my heart that He did, indeed, care. I decided to go with the second choice, and as I fought that water and the rest of the traffic, I suddenly realized something vital: I was completely, 100% alert, in the best possible form for driving! God had used the storm to wake me up!

But why would God bring us “out of the frying pan and into the fire”? Why would He add to one problem by bring on other ones?

Though the storm was terrible and the risk of accident was high, I know that in my non-alert status, I was a far greater menace to the road than the storm. As I cried out to God to protect everyone on the road, He showed me ways to drive safely. He showed me the lines to follow. He told me to put on my emergency lights. He gave me vehicles to follow. He made the trucks that whizzed by me stay in their lanes, and when the visibility was too poor for me to see if I was in my lane or not, there were never any cars around me. We emerged from that storm about 30 minutes later completely safe and sound, and the alertness that the storm brought to me lasted another 150 km.

The “fire” God threw me into was my solution to the “frying pan” of fatigue! My new “problem” was actually God’s solution to my old one!

When you feel like you ’ve just been thrown out of life’s “frying pan” and into life’s “fire”, remember the truth of Deuteronomy 31:8: “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” (NLT) Let’s choose to believe that God is in control and that His love for you will carry you through. Then, instead of wishing away the new problems, focus on Jesus. Ask Him how He is using the new circumstances to help you through the old ones, and then be prepared to be amazed as He reveals to you the depths of His love!

God bless,
Lyn

Announcements
Do you need to be prayed for or do you know someone in need? Don't hesitate to contact us by clicking here. We are here to pray for you and to offer you encouragements.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 09 Sep 2021, 9:12 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 7 Rainsh10

A gentle rain is glorious to watch and listen to. The peaceful sound of raindrops pattering off the leaves of trees, or plopping into puddles on my deck is wonderfully relaxing. I enjoy the rain and how it refreshes everything it touches. Without it, our world is void of its lush beauty. But this past week, a gentle downpour turned into a frightening, torrential deluge. Sheets of rain, strong winds—thunder and lightning ripped through our neighborhood. My eavestrough came apart because it was over-powered by gushing water that flowed down my grass and out to the water-logged street. 

My tranquil thoughts soon turned to worry that my home will flood; that my garden will drown in excess water—that my trees will be shredded by pellets of ice. The calming effects of a peaceful rain shower quickly flipped to fear and anxiety. To spin this around, I can’t help drawing an analogy to my own life. There are days when I feel at peace, the sun is out and a light breeze is cooling my skin. I’m happy and content. Then, pow! Storm clouds from nowhere brew up and my peace is shattered. I’m certain you’ve been there as well. Let’s face it, life is challenging at times.

Jesus said, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NLT)

This verse tells us that Jesus already knew we’d encounter both peace and trouble in our lives. It’s the last part of this verse that really piques my interest. That no matter what ‘rains’ down upon us, we are encouraged to take heart because Jesus has already overcome the world and any issue we face. THAT’S GOOD NEWS!

I found something recently that fits right in. It read like this, ‘Don’t think about the bad weather, but instead seek peace through Christ. Meditate on His promises and be strong. The sun doesn’t always have to be out to give the Lord thanks, so continue to give Him praise.’

When blue skies are chased away by storm clouds and soothing rain transforms into oceans of rising water, what do we do? The answer is simple; We turn to Jesus when our peace is overtaken by fear.

I’ll leave you with this simple, yet massively comforting verse from Psalms. Meditate on it and memorize it. It’s a keeper and a promise to us on those days when it pours cats and dogs. “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.” (Psalms 4:8 NLT)

So, the next time you feel overwhelmed by stormy weather and your life fills with worry, remember our Savior Jesus Christ has already stepped into your situation and will grant you peace.

He’s the only umbrella you will ever need.

Paul Smyth

Announcements
The blood of Jesus: It is amazing in its healing and protective qualities. Have you been covered with Jesus' blood? If not, why not do so today? You can do so in one of three ways:
1. You can view our Salvation video;
2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, or contact us via What’sApp at +1 (473) 417-8412, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Don't wait! Do it today!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 07 Sep 2021, 11:13 pm

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (James 1:12 NIV)

Sometime during the day, I like to play a one game card challenge of Solitaire on my iPad. And my three year old granddaughter loves to watch the screen as I play. Sometimes I must persevere and play the game numerous times before I succeed. But when I do I receive a picture of a gold crown. And when this happens she begins screaming, you won, you won, you got a gold crown Grammy, you did it, good job. Her enthusiasm always makes me smile but it also reminds me of what is important: Persevering under trial, because when we have stood the test, as God's people, we will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

And what a day and victory that will be. To stand before the Lord and hear Him utter the words: "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share in your master's happiness." (Matthew 25:21 NIV)

Merriam Webster defines perseverance this way: continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition: the action or condition or an instance of persevering: STEADFASTNESS

When we, as Christians, persevere amidst the difficulties and confusions of life we are being faithful to God. We are trusting that amidst it all He is working on our behalf. He is strengthening us. He is guiding us. He is comforting us. He is with us even though it may not feel like it. When I play my daily game of Solitaire, I do not know what cards will be exhibited or which cards will come up when I play the next one. And with each new card, I have to make a choice as to how to proceed, which card to match it with before moving on to the next unknown card.

Similarly, in life we never know what happening or card is going to show up that we will be called to play, which can often make for a lot of surprises that we may not want to deal with. Surprises that often call for perseverance and faithfulness to God on our part to get through them.

The good thing though is that God knows exactly what the next card in life is going to be dealt to us and He has promised us everything we need to play it well. For as the apostle Paul has written: "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13 NIV)

In my game of Solitaire I can only win if I have cleared the main board of cards before the remaining cards in the deck are all used up. And sometimes this means I must persevere and keep playing until I win that gold crown. In life it can be similar. Challenges come and we can stumble and struggle and want to give up rather than persevere. But that is not what matters in the end. What matter is that we remain STEADFAST. That we persevere by remaining faithful to the faithfulness of God who will see us safely through whatever may come our way and in the end reward us with the crown of life He has promised.

Lynne Phipps

Announcements
John the Baptist said, "The time has come...The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!" (Mark 1:15). But what exactly is the Kingdom of God? Check out "Basics of Basileia", a four-part mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan designed to help us have a better understand of God's Kingdom!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 04 Sep 2021, 10:10 pm

We are told in the Bible to help others (See Hebrews 6:10, Galatians 6:2, Deut. 15:11, etc.). We are told to love one another (See John 13:34-35, 1 Peter 4:8, Ephesians 4:32, etc). And when we obey these commands, Jesus tells us that we must do so in – Total Secrecy: “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 6:1 NLT)

I get this. In giving us this advice, Jesus is protecting us from one of the most hated sins: Pride. This one thing was the reason Satan and 1/3 of the Heavenly forces fell (See Isaiah. 14:12-15, Revelation. 12:4). None of us likes to be with people who brag. Somehow it cheapens what they have done. But just what does Jesus mean when He goes on in vs. 3 of Matthew 6 to say, “But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.” (NLT)?

Is this even possible? I mean, I’m one body, right? My right hand and my left hand are both controlled by the same brain, aren’t they? My right hand can’t do anything without the left hand knowing about it! Why would Jesus tell us to do something that is impossible?

Recently, God has made me aware that the primary reason I don’t reach out to others more often is that my agenda each day is more important than His agenda. I have been begging God to help me to become more loving, pleading with Him to help me to surrender my agenda to Him so that I am willing to drop my own plans in order to take up His. It’s a work in progress, but there have been times when I’ve succeeded in laying my own plans aside so that I could reach out to other people.

As I was contemplating this yesterday, I felt good. I felt like God was patting my back and saying, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” (Matthew 25:21 NLT). It was a good feeling, and as I basked in this feeling, I could feel my pride rising. Finally I was conquering this monster! Finally I was becoming more loving, more willing to surrender. I was digging my way out of this trap, and God was proud of me.

Wait. Was I feeling… Proud? Had God just revealed to me another layer of pride? One that was so cushioned in obedience to the Father that I didn’t even recognize it was there?

But we are supposed to feel good when we succeed at something we’ve worked hard for. What’s the difference between feeling good about something and feeling pride?

As I contemplated this, God placed this verse in my heart, and suddenly I knew what Jesus meant when He told us to do the impossible thing of not letting one hand know what the other is doing! He meant that when we do good deeds, not only it is for the Father’s glory in the eyes of the world, but it is for His glory, and not our own, in our own eyes as well!

You see, I had been congratulating myself on my success of finally surrendering my plans to God. But it wasn’t my success at all! Hadn’t I been trying for years to achieve this goal, with total failure? If my plans were surrendered to God, it was because of Him! He convicted me of the need. He placed it in my heart to pray for revival in this area. He empowered me to succeed! The glory wasn’t mine, it was His! I shouldn’t have been congratulating myself, I should have been congratulating… Him! Matthew 6:3 means that my left hand must acknowledge that it is God working through my right hand, not me!

This may have been a new revelation to me, but it actually isn’t new at all. Consider this verse from 1 Peter: “whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 4:11 ESV)!

Still not convinced? Remember the parable of the sheep and the goats? When God tells the “sheep”, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.” (Matthew 25:34 NLT), their response is a bit surprising: “Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you?” (vs. 37b NLT). These “sheep” are actually -- astonished! Why? Because they make a habit of following Jesus’ suggesting in Matthew 6:3: they don’t let their left hands know what their right hands are doing! They don’t take credit for themselves, they give all the glory to God!

I don’t know if anyone else has struggled with pride the way I have, but when God placed this revelation on my heart, He convicted me that I had to write it down. If you, too, are engaged in a pride struggle, just remember: You must recognize that whenever you do what is good, whenever you lovingly reach out to others, whenever you attempt to be the hands of God on earth, it isn’t of your own power or will or might! It is of God’s power. His will. His might. And if there is any success, it is Him who deserves the glory!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” (NIV) Send your prayer request via email here or through What’sApp (+91 98696 68137) and let us pray in agreement with you! "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” (Matt 18:20 NIV) Hallelujah! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 02 Sep 2021, 7:52 pm

As a child, I well remember being very envious of a neighbouring family.  There were three sisters, lovely children, who house was grander than ours, with a piano, and they went on wonderful vacations.  As the only girl in our family, I longed for playmates, fine toys and to on holidays with them.  As a teen and young adult, I quietly envied those who were prettier and more popular, and especially more confident than I was!  Since then, I have at times longed for a fine home, a bigger pay cheque, and the ability to travel more.

I wonder if this has been “an arrow in my heart”, as the writer of wrote of, “He shot arrows in my heart.  My own people laugh at me.  All day long they sing their mocking songs.  He has filled me with bitterness and given me a bitter cup to drink…..Yet as I grieve over my loss, yet I dare to hope when I remember this:  The faithful love of the Lord never ends!  His mercies never cease.  Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning.  I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my inheritance; therefore I will hope in Him!’” (Lamentations 3:13, 21-24 ESV)

God has graced me with much more wisdom since those days, I am grateful to declare.  I have learned to appreciate the things without a price, which make me feel rich.  These include friends who unfailingly love and surround me, a loving family, the ability to pursue my passions for painting and writing, wonderful memories which make me smile, and have those whom I love to share my life with.  The writer of Lamentations assures us that out of His great love and compassion, God provides for us, and is faithful to those who hope in and wait for Him.

We live in a world of hurry and quick answers, and waiting on God can be hard.  It’s time to slow down and observe what God has provided today and be grateful.  As believers, we have accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour, and permitted Him to lead us in our lives.  Not surprisingly, the more we wait on God, the quicker we discover Him, His will, and His providing hand.

As we choose to wait on God, then, the desire for wealth and quick answers fades away to a new vision of how He works in our lives and is providing in ways we can’t even see.  The arrow in the heart was not having God at the centre of it. “…..be patient as you wait for the Lord’s return.  Consider the farmers who patiently wait for the rains in the fall and in the spring.  They eagerly look for the valuable harvest to ripen.  You, too must be patient.  Take courage, for the coming of the Lord is near.” (James 5:7a -8 ESV)

Prayer:  In your hearts enthrone Him;  there let Him subdue all that is not holy, all that is not true; crown Him as your Captain in temptation’s hour; let His will enfold you in its light and power (C.M. Noel, 1817-1877).  Thank you for being in the centre of our hearts and lives, dear Lord, and for meeting all our needs in your love and compassion.  Amen.

Shirley Moulton

Announcements
Are you frustrated with an ineffective prayer life? God does answer prayers, my friend. Why don't you come to Answers2Prayer and discover the power of prayer for yourself?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:12 pm

Have you ever stood on a beach and marveled at the majestic ferocity of wind-driven waves cresting and slamming into a sandy shoreline? It’s truly a sight to behold. The sound alone is enough to stir in my soul feelings of peace and tranquility. I for one love to watch the sun rise and set in a fiery sky that reflects God’s glory in an ocean of frothy waves and roiling surf.

As beautiful as this spectacle can be, the power behind these waves can be extremely dangerous if not viewed from a safe distance. And similar to waves crashing into shore, I often wish I could step back a safe distance to watch those things in my life that cause me heartache. I would far rather view such painful experiences from the sanctuary of a sandy beach than neck-deep and drowning in situations that threaten to destroy the harmony I so desperately cling too.

Let’s face it; life is not always as smooth as a pristine glassy lake, or an ocean shoreline that is calm enough for us to walk through the surf up to our knees. In my life, I’ve encountered many situations where my feet are pulled out from under me, where rough seas grab hold and pull me under the surface. It’s during such a calamity that my faith is tested and doubts enter my mind when God remains silent and the waves grow in size and strength. And do you know what? This response is exactly what the devil wants. He wants us to lose hope that Jesus will ever calm the storm. I sense you nodding your head, that you’ve been under the waves more than a few times in your life.

But there is good news when the undertow of life is too great. The good news is Jesus Christ. He is fully capable of calming the storms in your life. In the bible, there is the story of Jesus in a boat with his disciples, the group crossing to go over to the other side of lake. But soon, a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?” (Mark 4:37, 38 NLT)

Now here is the cool part!

"When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, 'Silence! Be still!' Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, 'Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?'” (Mark 4:39, 40 NLT)

My friend; when the undercurrent of life pulls you below the surface and you feel like you might drown, might I encourage you to place your hope and trust and life into the very capable hands of our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Don’t be afraid. He can overcome any obstacle you face. He can still the waters and renew your spirit. He can restore your soul and provide the peace that passes all understanding. You just have to let him.

Paul Smyth

Announcements
Welcome to all new Nugget subscribers!
We hope and pray that you will find this newsletter a blessing to you and to your families. God bless each of you as you strive to draw closer to Him!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next