World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Gatestone Institute
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 11:03 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 10:48 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 10:46 pm by Admin

» Woke Kindergarten?
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 10:38 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 10:12 pm by Admin

» israelAM
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 8:57 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 8:56 pm by Admin

» AISH
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 8:52 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 8:42 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 8:19 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 6:59 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyYesterday at 6:52 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 11:35 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 10:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 10:37 pm by Admin

» The Holocaust and Faith
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 10:26 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 9:52 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 9:35 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 7:01 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS EmptySun 05 May 2024, 9:38 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS

Go down

IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS Empty IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS

Post  Admin Thu 06 May 2010, 9:01 pm

IMPROVING MEMORY AND COGNITION WITH HERBS - 05-04-2010
Posted by: "papa_de_q"Tue May 4, 2010 3:32 pm (PDT)

Greetings Gang!
As always, I pray that God blesses me to provide accurate and timely information and that He blesses each and every
one of us spiritually in such a way where a physical blessing is the result, yet blessing us physically/material ly in such a way where a spiritual blessing is the end result. More importantly, I pray that God blesses us all in such a way, where
the source of the blessings is as plain as the nose on our faces.
We live in a world of astounding technological advances. Simply astounding! I come from a world where there was usually one phone, in the living room or den and possibly a phone anchored to the kitchen wall. I am still astounded whenever I'm walking through the grocery store and my phone rings – IN MY POCKET!!! I can receive text messages, email, photos and even video clips by phone. Today we can hop on the Internet and access a maddening amount of information about anything, anyplace or almost anyone for that matter. When we Google St. Louis Cardinals, we get every web site having anything to do with the word "cardinal" in recorded history (i.e. the bird, the baseball team, Cardinals of the Catholic Church, cardinal numbers, cardinal signs in astrology etc.)
The FDA warns us that access to all this medical information may not be good. We may not be able to accurately decipher or analyze it all. They are just looking out for us – and the interests of the medical and pharmaceutical community as well. Big Brother has always been WORRIED about the thought of the general populace having too much information. At certain times even in the history of the church, certain churches did not think it good for the "man on the street" (Joe the Plumber) to have possession of a bible! For now, we get warnings – don't watch Michael Moore documentaries! I guess that's better than being burned at the stake for possession of ephedra. Remember ephedra was/is a flu/cold "remedy" that was misused and abused by many as a weight loss product. They have some Over The Counter synthetic stuff called pseudoephedrine which Big Brother deems as ok for managing sinuses problems – although it's known that it is an important ingredient in the making of crystal meth. Go figure!!
While it is true that guns are dangerous in the wrong hands, we still have a constitutional right to life, liberty, happiness and the right to bear arms. We also have the right to "bear" information. I always encourage you to Google everything and do your own research. But I also encourage to pay attention to the SOURCE of the information – in other words WHOSE website is it. Often with herbs, the powers that be are overly critical, while the holistic people are sometimes overly optimistic. The reverse is true when researching traditional methodologies for treating a condition. The holistic people are cynical while the medical praises knee replacement therapy.
Ironically even with all this information and technology at our disposal our ability to retain and recall it, analyze and/or process it or even FOCUS on any single thing is DECLINING. Now that's a paradox if I ever heard the word paradox! Personally, I believe that a holistic approach is more concerned with the cause rather than the symptoms. If you clip the wire to the engine light on your dashboard – voila' – problem solved - or is it?
Having said that, fortunately there are a few herbs AND nutritional supplements that many think to be potentially beneficial in helping us focus and may help with our short-term memory. This week we will cover a few of them.
<<< Senility and Alzheimer's will affect 14 million Americans by the year 2020>>>
OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS
For starters I would encourage everyone to include as much fish oil containing omega-3 fatty acids as possible. More and more research has concluded that fish oil is an important part of a healthy diet. It contains two important Omega 3 Fatty Acids, namely DHA and EPA, which have been shown to stimulate the brain and increase memory and mental awareness. This is why fish is sometimes called the "brain food". Omega-3 fatty acids are concentrated in the brain and have proven to enhance and optimize cognitive (mental) functioning. Not talking down to anyone, but not talking over anyone's head, these omega-3 oils count as "healthy" fats, as opposed to saturated fats and trans fats, protecting against inflammation and high cholesterol as well as improving brain functioning. The best fish for your family to eat regularly, (those with the highest concentrations of omega 3 oils) are the cold water canned fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel. The best oils besides fish oil are found in walnuts and flaxseed. Aside from adding omega-3 oils to your list of
nutritional supplements to purchase, eat more fish. Eat more fish. Did I say eat more fish? I want to mention that you eat more fish containing omega –3 fatty acids. Or… an omega-3 supplement if you don't like eating fish. But nutrients
work best when they're consumed in foods, so try your best to eat a broad spectrum of colorful plant foods and choose
fats that will help clear, not clog, your arteries. Your brain will thank you!
There is yet another reason why some might prefer supplements - nearly all fish are contaminated with mercury. So it is important to buy QUALITY fish oil supplements and not the cheapest fish oil
capsules you can find at the dollar store!!! The standard fish oil capsule is 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA. According to Dr. Mercola (a leading holistic medicine expert) "…you should take approximately one capsule for every ten pounds of body weight, preferably in two divided doses. So if you weigh 160 pounds you would take 8 capsules twice a day…" – www.mercola. com
If you have problems with belching them up, you will want to consider taking them on an empty stomach. You shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for them either. You can tell, by puncturing one of the capsules and seeing if there is any "fishy" aftertaste. This is usually a sign of rancid fat and an indication of an inferior product.
REMEMBER that we can get all of the omega-6 and omega-9 fat we need from food. Do not take any supplements for these oils. Read the bottle. We have to maintain a proper omega-6 to omega-3 ratio and omega-3 is the only one are one we need.
We do NOT need to take any supplements for these other fats such as omega-6 and omega-9. Many of the omega fat supplements you see in health food stores will not improve anything as they contain omega 6 fats which might worsen your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.
GINKGO BILOBA
Everybody (who hasn't forgotten – LOL) remembers Gingko Biloba as one of the more popular memory herbs. It is the brain tonic herb. Because it improves blood circulation to the brain, it thus enhances memory and alertness, reduces depression and treats dementia.
NOTE:
But what I have found out through continuous research is that Ginkgo, has not been proven to do much for "normal" people (that does NOT include me – I am 52 and I forget everything) It's sort of like Echinacea doesn't do much AFTER you catch a cold – Gingko does not do much BEFORE you have memory issues.
Here is a quote from JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) titled "Ginkgo for memory enhancement: a randomized controlled trial….When taken following the manufacturer' s instructions, ginkgo provides no measurable benefit in memory or related cognitive function to adults with healthy cognitive function…."
The impact of this seemingly damning assessment, however, was ameliorated by the almost simultaneous publication of a Schwabe-sponsored study in the less prestigious Human Psychopharmacology. This rival study, conducted at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, was rejected by JAMA, and came to a very different—if not exactly sweeping—conclusion: There was ample evidence to support "the potential efficacy of Ginkgo biloba EGb 761 in enhancing certain neuropsychological/ memory processes of cognitively intact older adults, 60 years of age and over."
I have read many other studies – you can too!! – that show that Ginkgo really does help significantly –IF- you already have issues. That's good news to me, because ibuprofen only helps me –IF- I have a headache.
SIDE EFFECTS ASSOCIATED WITH GINKGO BILOBA
"…Ginkgo may have undesirable effects, especially for individuals with blood circulation disorders and those taking anticoagulants such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or warfarin, although recent studies have found that ginkgo has little or no effect on the anticoagulant properties or pharmacodynamics of warfarin in healthy subjects. Ginkgo should also not be used by people who are taking certain types of antidepressants (monoamine oxidase inhibitors and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or by pregnant women, without first consulting a doctor….Ginkgo side effects and cautions include: possible increased risk of bleeding, gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, dizziness, heart palpitations, and restlessness. If any side effects are experienced, consumption should be stopped immediately…. "
The next herb is GOTU KOLA
In India, Gotu Kola is regarded as perhaps the most spiritual of all herbs. Gotu Kola is used by the gurus and yogis in the moutaions of the Himalayas to improve meditation. It is said to develop the crown chakra, the energy center at the top of the head and to balance the right and left hemispheres of the brain. OKAY. It is regarded as one of the most important rejuvenative herbs in Ayurvedic Medicine. Sri Lankans noticed that elephants, renowned for their longevity (AND MEMORY!!), munched on the leaves of the plant. Thus the leaves became known as a promoter of long life.
Hmmmm… It might be worth considering that healing itself is a spiritual event. However, it is my personal belief that where the spiritual aspect of healing is concerned, then there is no other healing power that can supercede that of faith in the healing properties of Jesus Christ. "By His injuries (suffered during the crucifixion) we are healed" - at the time Isaiah was written, it was a future prophecy recorded in Isaiah 53:5. Again – this is a personal belief that I believe to be worth considering.
But to continue…. and get off my soapbox…. Gotu Kola is a rejuvenating, restorative and revitalizing nervine recommended for nervous disorders, epilepsy, senility and premature aging. As a brain tonic, it is said to help with intelligence and memory, combat stress and depression, insanity and help promote restful sleep, thus improving libido and improve reflexes.
But it gets even better!! Gotu Kola is thought to help with chronic venous insufficiency, minor burns, scars, scleroderma, skin ulcers, varicose veins, wound healing, rheumatism, blood diseases, congestive heart failure, urinary tract infections, venereal diseases, hepatitis and high blood pressure as well as fortifying the immune system, both cleansing and feeding it and to strengthen the adrenals. Finally by cleaning the blood it can help with skin impurities.
But wait! There's more!! …. By improving circulation through the strengthening of the veins and capillaries, it helps with leg cramps, and abnormal tingling of the extremities. It soothes and minimizes varicose veins and helps to minimize scarring.
Gotu kola has even been used to treat leprosy! In addition to its ability to heal the sores associated with leprosy, gotu kola may also have anti-bacterial properties. Evidence from studies shows that asiaticoside contained in Gotu Kola may damage the cell walls of the bacteria that cause leprosy. The weakened bacteria are easier for the body's immune system to eliminate.
Gotu kola is often confused with kola nut. Due to this confusion, some people wrongly assume the rejuvenating properties of gotu kola are due to the stimulating effects of caffeine contained in kola nut. In fact, gotu kola is not related to kola nut and contains no caffeine. It is sometimes called Brahmi or Indian Pennywort. The Latin name is Centella asiatica, Hydrocotyle asiatica
It becomes increasing clear that anything that promotes good circulation – promotes good health. Think of all the herbs that promote circulation and note that they all are good for so many different conditions!! !!
"….According to modern studies, gotu kola DOES offer support for healthy memory function. A study conducted in 1992 by K. Nalini at Kasturba Medical College showed an impressive improvement in memory in rats which were treated with the extract (orally) daily for 14 days before the experiment. The retention of learned behavior in the rats treated with gotu kola was three to 60 times better than that in control animals. Preliminary results in one clinical trial with mentally retarded children was shown to increase scores on intelligence tests (Bagchi, 1989). This does not mean gotu kola will improve intelligence for all special or normal children…."
Again no drug, herb or nutritional supplement will for ALL. Not even aspirin.
"…More recent studies confirm many of Gotu Kola's traditional uses and also suggest possible new applications for Gotu Kola, such as lowering high blood pressure, treating venous insufficiency (pooling of blood in the veins, usually in the legs), boosting memory and intelligence, easing anxiety, and speeding the healing of wounds and burns.
While treating stress-related disorders like panic attacks and problems related to anxiety Gotu Kola has shown some extremely remarkable results. Scientists have established that compounds in Gotu Kola known as triter-pene acids bind to receptors in your central nervous system and reduce your startle response…."
I could go and on about memory and brain power enhancing herbs and nutritional supplements, but I won't. I will however, add this. The proper amount of sleep is the best possible thing one can do.
But why take my word for it? IT'S YOUR HEALTH.
You can research anything mentioned in this newsletter yourself. Some good search engines are www.mamma.com and www.dogpile. com as well as
Google. Enter one or more keywords to do your own research.
Until next time remember .... most illness can be attributed to FOUR
important factors that can weaken your immune system and your ability
to fight off disease:
1. Anxiety, depression, anger, guilt and other STRESS factors
2. Improper and/or inadequate NUTRITION habits
3. A sedentary lifestyle that does not include enough EXERCISE
4. Not enough rest and quality SLEEP time
The United States Surgeon General warned Americans in a landmark 1988
report on Nutrition and Health that "diet related diseases account for
68% or more of U.S. deaths"
Remember, we ALWAYS recommend that you ALWAYS consult a professional
herbalist, naturopathologist or physician. We are just passing along