World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 11:39 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 11:35 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 10:51 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 10:44 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 10:37 pm by Admin

» The Holocaust and Faith
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 10:26 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 10:21 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 10:18 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 9:52 pm by Admin

» israelAM
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 9:43 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 9:35 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyYesterday at 7:01 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 9:44 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptySun 05 May 2024, 10:07 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptySun 05 May 2024, 9:38 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptySun 05 May 2024, 8:06 pm by Admin

» AISH
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptySun 05 May 2024, 6:50 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 11:13 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 9:56 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression

Go down

Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression Empty Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression

Post  Admin Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:38 am

Coming Out of the Darkness of Depression
Mary Southerland, Author & Speaker
Saturday, December 24, 2011

Florida is famous for its sinkholes. I personally find them fascinating since I grew up in Texas where most holes are made intentionally. As I studied these overnight wonders, an interesting explanation emerged. Scientists assert that sinkholes occur when the underground resources gradually dry up, causing the surface soil to lose its underlying support. Everything simply caves in forming an ugly pit.

Depression and sinkholes have a lot in common. Depression seems to overwhelm with a vicious suddenness when it is actually the result of a malignant and constant process. Inner resources are slowly depleted until one day there is nothing left. The world caves in and darkness reigns.

Depression is America's number one health problem. Someone once called it "a dark tunnel without a ray of light" while cartoonists portray it as "little black cloud hovering overhead." I have a friend who says, "Some days you're the bug. Some days you're the windshield." Many believe that depression is simply a spiritual problem while others insist it is an emotional and physical disorder. They are all right. Studies indicate that over half of all women and one out of three men struggle with depression on a regular basis. Because no one is immune to the darkness, we must learn to face it honestly, with emotional integrity.

That moment came for me in the spring of 1995 when I realized that something was drastically wrong. I was absolutely empty and completely exhausted. It seemed as if I had been living in the fast and furious lane forever! Overwhelmed, I sat down and mentally listed the demands on my life:

•Serving as Pastor's wife in a large and fast-growing church

•Raising two young children

•Maintaining a hectic speaking schedule

•Directing the Women's Ministry of our church

•Teaching a weekly and monthly Bible study

•Counseling women in crisis

•Playing the piano for three worship services

•Teaching twenty piano and voice students

No wonder I was struggling. I was just plain tired. Being a perfectionist, I had always been very strong, driven to excel with little sympathy for weak people. Now I, the strong one, couldn't get out of bed. Getting dressed by the time my children returned from school meant it was a good day. The simplest decisions sent me into a panic and the thought of facing crowds was overwhelming. Many times I walked to the front door of the church but couldn't go in. I felt guilty missing services but couldn't handle the sympathetic looks and questioning stares as I stood, weeping uncontrollably. I was paralyzed, imprisoned in a bottomless pit where loneliness and despair reigned, wreaking emotional havoc from their throne of darkness. I had no idea how I had gotten there and what was even more frightening was the fact that I had no idea how to escape! I did the only thing I could do. I cried out to God.

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." (Psalm 40:1-2 NIV)
http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/women/coming-out-of-the-darkness-of-depression-1316114.html
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down