Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 22 Empty Re: +Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor

Post  Admin on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 3:56 pm

Date: August 22, 2016 at 12:59 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Peace and Hope

Peace and Hope

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Scripture Focus: Psalm 131; Hebrews 10:9-14

"There's an app for that." It seems that no matter what you need to accomplish or find out these days, there is an app for that. Our smart phones have given us great confidence in our ability to master life's problems. But dead batteries and power outages both instantly destroy the confidence and hope we have in ourselves and in technology. A few years ago, the San Diego area experienced a three-day power outage; the result was panic. We were all quickly reminded of where our confidence lies. 

Psalm 131 reminds us that hope comes as we put our trust in the Lord. But where do we get that kind of trust? How can we know God is with us and for us? The key is the last word of the Psalm: "forevermore." In Hebrews 10:9-14 we read that Jesus, by sacrificing Himself for us, has made us perfect forever. God's power will never run out on us. No longer do we need to fear His displeasure with us for our failures. Because Jesus has made us pleasing to God, we can place our confidence in Him. There's no app for that!

Insight: In Christ alone my hope is found; He is my light, my strength, my song.  (Keith Getty and Stuart Townend, 2001)

Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

We are in urgent need of Prayer and financial partners,
If you would like to become a prayer partner and or a financial partner with monthly or one time gifts.
A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:    http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman

- "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." John Stuart Mill, 1867

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." ~Maj. Gen. James Mattis~

- "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Psalms 144:1 Blessed be Jehovah my rock, Who teacheth my hands to war, And my fingers to fight.
Admin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 22 Empty Re: +Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor

Post  Admin on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:36 am

Date: August 18, 2016 at 11:53 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Rejoicing and Hope

Rejoicing and Hope

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Scripture Focus: Psalm 33

We use the word hope in various ways. We hope our team will win; we might say we have a sense of hope when everything is going our way. But hope is more than wishful thinking or confidence; it is necessary. Dr. Shane Lopez, a senior scientist and researcher of hope, has concluded that hope is like oxygen, and that we can't live without it. 

Lopez has "discovered" what Christians already know: we were made for hope. But where does hope come from? In the benediction of Romans 15, we see that God fills us with hope. We don't manufacture it. One way that God gives us hope is through the joy that comes to us through believing. That is evident in Psalm 33. The psalmist ends by saying that his heart rejoices because of the unfailing love of God. 

No research institution, no person, no set of circumstances can sustain the weight of our need for hope because they are all constantly changing. The only One who can give us certain hope is our unfailing, never-changing God. That is more than enough reason to rejoice!

Insight:  "God loves us not because we are loveable but because He Is Love."  (C.S. Lewis, The Weight Of Glory, 1945)

Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

If you would like to become a prayer partner and or a financial partner with monthly or one time gifts.
A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:    http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman

- "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." John Stuart Mill, 1867

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." ~Maj. Gen. James Mattis~

- "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Psalms 144:1 Blessed be Jehovah my rock, Who teacheth my hands to war, And my fingers to fight.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 11:12 pm

Date: August 17, 2016 at 11:53 PM
Topic: +DEV+ We Need Love

We Need Love

"May... the love of God ... be with you all." 2 Corinthians 13:14

Scripture Focus: 1 John 4:7-11

We all desperately long to be loved. Siblings fight for the attention of their parents. Young men (and old men!) will go to great lengths to win the love a woman. Women will likewise try to win the heart of a man. Teens will do just about anything to be accepted by their peer group. When we feel unloved or rejected, we may slip into depression and self-destructive behaviors. 

While the love we give and receive is wonderful, it is not the love we are seeking; it all falls short. We long to be fully known and fully loved. Yet because we know our own imperfections and secret sins, we try hard to appear acceptable and worthy of love. 

The good news of the Gospel is that the love we long for is poured out on us by God Himself. He made the first move! Even when He knew all your darkest secrets, He set His affection on you. He loved you so much He sent His Son to live the life of perfect obedience that you can't and to absorb God's wrath in your place. Nothing and nobody can separate you from that love.

Insight: "Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in You." (Augustine, C. 400 AD) 

A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site: http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 6:13 pm

Date: August 16, 2016 at 12:46 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Possessio

Topic: +DEV+ Possession

Possession

"So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them." Numbers 6:27

Scripture Focus: Matthew 28:19; 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

As a dad, I continue to marvel at the way my kids seem hard-wired for independence. From the time they were toddlers and now as teens, they have expressed their frustration to me when they are unable to accomplish some task or project. In those situations I may ask if they've used all the resources at their disposal, knowing full well they haven't because they haven't yet asked me to help. The answer is always the same: "Yes, but I still can't!" Then I remind them that I'm there to help. They were in distress because they were acting like orphans. 

When God put His name on the Israelites, they were acting like spiritual orphans, running after false gods and running away from the One true, living God. In your distress, do you also forget that God, your Father, has put His name on you? 

It would cost millions of dollars to have your name put on a stadium. It cost God an infinite sacrifice to put His name on us. The eternal Son of God was abandoned for our faithlessness so that we might be adopted through Him.

Insight: "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” John 14:18

A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site: http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman

Date: August 17, 2016 at 2:14 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Grace

Grace
"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ...be with you all." 2 Corinthians 13:14

Scripture Focus: Acts 15:1-11

It is fascinating to me that the Apostle Paul ends 12 of his 13 letters with benedictions, or blessings. Each benediction summarizes what Paul labored so hard to proclaim: we all need God's blessing, and we can't earn it. It has to come from God to us. 

In today's reading, a debate went on about the conditions necessary to receive God's blessing. Some were arguing that it was necessary to keep the law of Moses and be circumcised in order to be saved. You might as well say you must jump across all 21 miles of the English Channel to be saved! Some may jump farther than others (the world record is just under 30 feet!), but we all fall short of the goal. No one can perfectly keep the law of Moses. The debate in Acts ended with this: we are saved by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

It seems that each day we try to earn God's favor, and each day we fall short. Paul doesn't end his letter with "keep the law." He ends with the sweetest refrain we can ever hear: "the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all."

Insight: Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. (John Newton, 1779)

Michael D. Inman

As the Father hath loved me!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 10:43 pm

Date: August 16, 2016 at 12:46 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Possession

Possession

"So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them." Numbers 6:27

Scripture Focus: Matthew 28:19; 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

As a dad, I continue to marvel at the way my kids seem hard-wired for independence. From the time they were toddlers and now as teens, they have expressed their frustration to me when they are unable to accomplish some task or project. In those situations I may ask if they've used all the resources at their disposal, knowing full well they haven't because they haven't yet asked me to help. The answer is always the same: "Yes, but I still can't!" Then I remind them that I'm there to help. They were in distress because they were acting like orphans. 

When God put His name on the Israelites, they were acting like spiritual orphans, running after false gods and running away from the One true, living God. In your distress, do you also forget that God, your Father, has put His name on you? 

It would cost millions of dollars to have your name put on a stadium. It cost God an infinite sacrifice to put His name on us. The eternal Son of God was abandoned for our faithlessness so that we might be adopted through Him.

Insight:  "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” John 14:18

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 8:48 am

Date: August 15, 2016 at 2:01 AM
Topic: +DEV+  God’s Pleasure

God’s Pleasure

"The LORD make his face shine upon you...  the LORD turn his face toward you..." Numbers 6:25-26

Scripture Focus: Zephaniah 3:17

When our children were little, they often called out, "Daddy, watch me!" Sometimes, I would stop what I was doing to watch them, but other times I could not. In the blessing of Numbers 6, God promises that He will never be too busy or too tired to look on His children with favor. 

To me, this promise is remarkable because it came right after the Israelites had spit in God's face by choosing to make and worship a god of their own imagination, a golden bull. Of course, each time I choose to go my way rather than God's, I spit in His face, too. 

God is so different from us; His love is simply amazing. He promises to look on us with favor despite our arrogant rejection of Him. Rather than ignore our rejection, He sent His Son, Jesus, to receive the punishment our sin deserves. On the cross Jesus cried out, "My God, why have you forsaken me" (Mark 15:34)? But there was no answer. In that moment, God had turned His face away from His beloved son so He could turn His face toward us and rejoice over us with singing.

Insight: NO JESUS, NO PEACE; KNOW JESUS, KNOW PEACE.

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 10:31 pm

Date: August 11, 2016 at 11:05 PM
Topic: +DEV+  The Lord’s Peace

The Lord’s Peace

"The LORD... give you peace." Numbers 6:26

Scripture Focus: Romans 5:1

“If only...”. With those two little words, we send our hearts on a never-ending quest for contentment and peace. We tell ourselves that if only we had that house, that relationship, that job or that vacation, then we would be happy, content, at peace. But the little peace we might experience from those things quickly fades away. 

The Hebrew word for peace is shalom, and it means much more than the absence of conflict. It means that we are at peace with God and experiencing the sum total of all God's good gifts to His people. While on their journey in the wilderness, the Israelites often said "if only;" if only we had leeks and meat and different leaders. Yet God promised the blessing of His shalom to this group of whiners. He secured the promise of peace by sending Jesus into the world to pay for all their "if onlys". There was no shalom for Jesus as He died on a Roman cross. 

As fellow whiners with Israel, we can only come to experience peace from God when we have true peace won for us through Jesus Christ.

Insight: For sin and a peace that endureth, thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide... Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside."  (Thomas O. Chisholm, 1623)

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 2:53 pm

Elaine, embrace the power of the resurrection and the life!

Psalms 2:6-7 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

Acts 13:33-34 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

Romans 1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

The central fact of the gospel message is the resurrection of Yeshua (Jesus), declared in Psalm 2, the begotten Son of God. In 1952, Dead Sea scrolls were discovered in Cave 4 called the "Messianic Apocalypse". The Messiah's ministry of resurrection is reiterated in these ancient documents with an obvious reference to Isaiah 61:1-3. The scroll identifies someone who "... will heal the wounded, and revive the dead and bring good news to the poor." It is clear that at least some of the authors of these documents clearly understood the central nature and ministry of the coming Messiah, most certainly based on their intimate knowledge of the prophetic writings in the Tenach (OT)...that ministry, the resurrection of the dead.

This reality of the resurrection of Yeshua and His power to raise the dead cannot be overestimated. Death is the inevitable result of sin. Yeshua became sin, bearing all of it in His body, and then was raised from death to eternal immortal glory. This wonderful fact has proliferated throughout the world, the most important and powerful message ever delivered to mankind.

An illustration from our own time reveals the pervasive hope of Messiah's resurrection and victory over death. D.L. Moody the great 19th-century revivalist was called on early in his ministry to deliver a funeral message. Searching the Gospels to find a funeral sermon given by Yeshua, he quickly discovered his search was in vain. Instead of ministering at funerals, Yeshua broke up every funeral he ever attended! Death could not exist where He was. And when the dead heard His voice they sprang to life, for He truly is "the resurrection and the life."

Elaine, are you feeling dead and worn out today? Then be reminded that your Savior is Life and that He brings it abundantly wherever He is, and that death is overcome in His Presence. So GET IN HIS PRESENCE! Repent, pray, worship, read, dance, delight, intercede, seek Him with all your heart and soul. His Life is waiting to refresh, restore, and revive you.

Your family in the Lord with much agape love,

George, Baht Rivka, Elianna & Obadiah
Negev Desert, Israel

Editor's Note: Watch George's message: Which voice will you listen to in the last days?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 9:34 pm

Date: August 10, 2016 at 2:38 AM
Topic: +DEV+  We Need A Pardon
We Need A Pardon

"The LORD... be gracious to you." Numbers 6:25

Scripture Focus: Psalm 51:1-9

In tradition, on November 27, The President granted a pardon to “Popcorn” the turkey. Instead of being Thanksgiving dinner, Popcorn now lives at the Mount Vernon Estate. 

The Israelites needed a pardon. Just eight months after promising to obey God perfectly (Exodus 19:8) they failed miserably (Exodus 32:1). According to the terms of the covenant, they no longer had any right to receive God's blessing (32:5-6). Before we point our fingers at the people of Israel, we need to look at our own hearts. Like Israel, we are called to love God wholeheartedly and to love others selflessly, yet we find ourselves doing just the opposite. We deserve to be cut off from God. We need a pardon! 

On November 28, the Presidential family ate turkey for dinner; another turkey died in Popcorn's place. In love, God sent His Son to absorb the punishment we all deserve: death, separation from God Himself. Jesus was counted among the wicked so the wicked could be counted among the pardoned and receive new life - life much better than Popcorn's!

Insight: Come, thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing thy grace; streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise."  (Robert Robinson, 1758)

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 12:11 am

Date: August 9, 2016 at 1:52 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Bad Memory

Bad Memory

"For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."  Hebrews 8:12

Scripture Focus: Hebrews 8

I heard an interview with someone famous who said, "I keep a journal in my desk of every single person who has ever wronged me. Every slight, every insult, every rejection. This way I can look back on them and remember who is on my side." 

Isn't that unsettling? If I remembered every slight against me and cut those people out of my life, I'd have nobody left! Nor would I be in anyone's life with all the mistakes I've made. For some reason, people like to keep tabs and hold grudges. 

Praise God our loving heavenly Father does not operate that way. In fact, His gift to us is His own bad memory. Think about how difficult it is to rebuild a relationship with someone you've wronged. You feel like you have to start all over. But God tells us that He holds no grudges. Keeps no lists (1 Corinthians 13:5b). If we are in Christ, God looks at His perfect Son, and goes blank on our sins. He doesn't remember them! Knowing this, we can run into His presence with great confidence and with a clean slate in Christ.

Insight: "I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more." Isaiah 43:25

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:22 am

Date: August 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Pleasant Places

Pleasant Places

"The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."  Psalm 16:6

Scripture Focus: Psalm 16

This Psalm made more sense to us when we had children. Before kids it's easy to see God's commands and boundaries as gates keeping us out from all the fun. The boundaries don't feel very pleasant. Is God cramping our style? But through the eyes of a parent, I see that God's borders are indeed gifts to us. 

As our daughters went from crawling and walking, gates became literal life-savers. Our first mobile home had steep stairs with a hard concrete slab at the bottom. our daughter used to stand at the gate, peering through the holes, wishing for more freedom. But four-year olds don't use freedom well. Thankfully, we were there to place some limits around her, for her own safety. These were not to keep her from fun, but to keep her from danger. 

Psalm 16 is David coming to this conclusion. He realizes God is our refuge. His boundary lines are the very gifts He gives His children to keep them safe. If we truly knew the steep stairs of life on the other side, we would more readily see our freedom within His boundaries as more pleasant.

Insight: God's boundaries are always pleasant. He knows the dangers beyond them.

Michael D. Inman

Date: August 4, 2016 at 1:01 AM
Topic: +DEV+ Expecting the Worst, Getting the Best

Expecting the Worst, Getting the Best

"Jesus said to them, Come and have breakfast." John 21:12

Scripture Focus: John 21

Put yourself in Peter's place as he crawls up on the beach, soaking wet and standing before Jesus. One of the most difficult places to stand is in the presence of someone you've betrayed. Peter's denial, "I do not know that man," was still ringing in his ears and as he approached Jesus, probably expecting the worst. Perhaps he'd get a tongue-lashing or maybe the silent treatment. 

Instead, Jesus invites Peter and the others to a meal. In Palestinian culture, inviting someone to a meal was a sign of honor. It signified peace and reconciliation. Peter didn't deserve honor. When his friend and his Lord was being led away to an awful death, Peter lied to save his own skin. But here Jesus invites him to a meal. 

Jesus serves breakfast to His betrayer. We are tempted to think that "what goes around comes around," but Jesus shows us a different way. When we reflect on all the ways we've fallen short of what Jesus wants for us, we might come to expect the worst, too. Yet, Jesus is prepared to give us the best: a meal, restoration, Himself.

Insight: "Come, come let us return to the Lord; in brokenness of heart we consecrate our lives." Matt Redman, 2003

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 9:19 pm

Date: August 3, 2016 at 2:39 AM
Topic: +DEV+ A Strong Tower

A Strong Tower

"The name of the Lord is strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." Proverbs 18:10

Scripture Focus: Proverbs 18

I recently read James A. Michener's book "The Source." A thick history about a fictional town in Palestine, it gave me a new understanding of how important walls and towers were in ancient culture. Without them, you could not defend yourself from the constant threat of invasion. You needed fortification if you wanted to build a community, engage in commerce, or raise families in relative safety. 

In the midst of Proverbs 18, a chapter that reminds us of all the ways people can be foolish, we find a verse about the name of the Lord being a fortified tower. In the midst of our messiest battles - lawsuits and quarrels and family problems and harsh words and injustice - there is a safe place: in the name of the Lord. 

Contemporary culture can feel like it's invading those who put their trust in the name of the Lord. But Proverbs 18 reminds us what a safe place He is. Our eternal safety is taken care of precisely because Christ left the safe tower of heaven and subjected Himself to the world's sin and foolishness.

Insight: "God's love is the wide net spread beneath the most dangerous of our days." (Barbara Brown Taylor)

Michael D. Inman

Date: August 4, 2016 at 1:01 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Expecting the Worst, Getting the Best

Expecting the Worst, Getting the Best

"Jesus said to them, Come and have breakfast." John 21:12

Scripture Focus: John 21

Put yourself in Peter's place as he crawls up on the beach, soaking wet and standing before Jesus. One of the most difficult places to stand is in the presence of someone you've betrayed. Peter's denial, "I do not know that man," was still ringing in his ears and as he approached Jesus, probably expecting the worst. Perhaps he'd get a tongue-lashing or maybe the silent treatment. 

Instead, Jesus invites Peter and the others to a meal. In Palestinian culture, inviting someone to a meal was a sign of honor. It signified peace and reconciliation. Peter didn't deserve honor. When his friend and his Lord was being led away to an awful death, Peter lied to save his own skin. But here Jesus invites him to a meal. 

Jesus serves breakfast to His betrayer. We are tempted to think that "what goes around comes around," but Jesus shows us a different way. When we reflect on all the ways we've fallen short of what Jesus wants for us, we might come to expect the worst, too. Yet, Jesus is prepared to give us the best: a meal, restoration, Himself.

Insight: "Come, come let us return to the Lord; in brokenness of heart we consecrate our lives." Matt Redman, 2003

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 9:28 pm

Date: August 2, 2016 at 1:29 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Old, But not Dead

Old, But not Dead
"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit...." Hebrews 4:12

Scripture Focus: Hebrews 4:1-12

I have overheard people jokingly say, "I'm old, but I'm not dead." The person saying that may mean, "Don't discount me just yet. I have something to offer. Something to give. I am still living." 

The Bible is old. But it's not dead. Hebrews reminds us that these words printed on paper are somehow alive. We know the Holy Spirit breathed them into being, but we forget He breathes into them still. How else might people read the same Scripture and come away with something different? How else can a text seem to deepen or change hues over a lifetime? Only something alive could do that, actively ministering to people's hearts as necessary. 

One author compares the Bible to a living vein, connecting us to our Maker. The Bible pumps through us the stories and truths and encouragement we need. Almost everything that is alive has an expiration date when it no longer can produce, react, or affect anything. But God's gift, His Word, never expires. It lives and moves, breathing life into us each time it is read.

Insight: "A bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." (Charles Spurgeon)

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 8:53 pm

Date: August 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Open To Everyone

Open To Everyone

"At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom." Matthew 27:51

Scripture Focus: Matthew 27: 45-55

When we think of God's gifts in our lives, we usually think of concrete things like a good job or friend, or a healing from cancer. But these don't even come close to His gift of accessibility. 

On Easter, I was trying to explain to my four-year-old about the temple curtain being torn in two. "It shows us that nothing keeps us from God anymore. Jesus made it so anybody can now get to God." 

In this world money can buy us all kinds of separation: gated communities, first class air travel, private luxury boxes. People are told, for a host of reasons, "Access denied." Jesus' death broke down the gates around the holy of holies and declared that God's presence is "Open to everyone." The Gospel couldn't be more inclusive. As Max Lucado writes, "Does God offer His gift to the brightest and most charming? No. It is for all." 

"Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and grace..." Hebrews 4:16. We have access to God, not because of who we are, but because of who Jesus is.

Insight: God's presence, through Jesus, is now open to everyone

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:18 pm

Date: July 29, 2016 at 1:05 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Bread Of Life

Bread Of Life

"Jesus answered, It is written: Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4)

Scripture Focus: Matthew 4:1-11

After thinking about the gift of manna earlier, we jump ahead to Jesus' temptation. He is hungry and in His own wilderness, a sequel of sorts to the hungry Israelites in the wilderness. Unlike the Israelites with their grumbling, Jesus withstands the test perfectly. And in true tempter's fashion, Satan shows up when Jesus is hungry, alone, and weak. 

Satan reminds Jesus that He can do anything, even turn stones to bread. Jesus already knows this but answers, "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." The beauty of this statement is that Jesus IS the word that comes from the mouth of God. We don't live by it, as though following instructions. We live on it. It is what sustains us and feeds us! 

Jesus tells His listeners that their forefathers ate manna in the desert yet died. But whoever eats the Bread of Life will live forever (see John 6:49-51). They ask Jesus for this special bread. To them (and us) He says, "You're looking at it." Behold... the true bread of Heaven.

Insight: "Bread of heaven, bread of heaven; feed me till I want no more."  (William Williams, 1745)

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm

Date: July 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM
Topic: +DEV+  He Remains the Same

He Remains the Same

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." Psalm 46:1-2

Scripture Focus: Psalm 46

Winter gives way to spring; laughter turns to tears; parched earth changes to verdant growth after rain; childlessness yields to family; a calm sea becomes a storm. Some changes we welcome more than others. All of them serve to remind us that our Creator remains the same. 

Martin Luther clung with all his life to that great truth: that God remained and His kingdom would be forever. Nearly 500 years ago, he posted on the cathedral doors in Wittenberg, Germany, his 95 complaints against the medieval church. He sought to bring Christians back to the Scriptures and to make it clear how salvation was given. The words Luther wrote for the great hymn "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" were and still are a rallying cry for believers in Jesus Christ. 

We have focused this month on the implications of our constant change and God's forever remaining the same. Because we know the unchanging One, we can sing with believers throughout history that "God's truth abideth still, His kingdom 
is forever."

Insight:  "A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing...from age to age the same..." (Martin Luther, 1529)

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 11:20 pm

Date: July 27, 2016 at 9:39 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Lump of Clay

Lump of Clay

"Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand." Isaiah 64:8

Scripture Focus: Jeremiah 18:1-6

Many of the changes that come about in our lives are not welcomed by us. If the lump of clay being kneaded by the potter could cry out, I am sure it would! Being molded and pressed and worked doesn't feel good. Yet if the lump of clay could know the stunning piece of artwork or the very useful water pitcher the artisan would create of it, perhaps he would keep silent. An audacious lump of clay that would be who would call out in defiance to the craftsman, the one who knows the shape he wants that clay to have. 

There have been times of distress and hardship in my life that have hurt deeply. The process of getting through has pinched me, pressed me and pulled me in directions I didn't want to go. I've questioned the Lord's ways. Yet here I am today, His humbled vessel, filled up and spilled out time and time again in ways that have been able to give Him glory. Far be it from me to challenge the Master Craftsman, my Father and my Lord. Let's remember that "we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus..." (Ephesians 2:10).

Insight: Have you also felt the pain of being molded? Do you believe that God's plans will work together for your good? Trust him!

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 11:50 am

Date: July 26, 2016 at 12:23 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Purifying the Heart

Purifying the Heart

"Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your 
hearts, you double-minded." James 4:8

Scripture Focus: James 4

How can we begin to close the cavernous gap between us and God? The first thing that needs to change about us is that we need to come clean. Like the child who stops covering up because his mom seems to see right through him, we must realize that we cannot hide anything from God. He already knows our comings and our goings both for now and forever (see psalm 139). He knows our innermost thoughts and secrets - things we sometimes barely acknowledge to ourselves. To come clean before Him means that we come to Him with the full realization that we are unworthy. We are spiritually bankrupt. 

Submitting to God involves openly admitting we are sinners. As we lay our failures before Him, our hearts change from filthy rags to beautiful gems, purified of all unrighteousness. In forgiveness God speaks His love to us and purifies our hearts all the more, washing us in the pools of His grace. 

God has so much to offer...more than our minds could ever conceive, and nothing that this world could give.

Insight: Do you feel close to God? Is your heart available to be filled with His love? What hinders your close relationship with God?

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 7:53 pm

Date: July 25, 2016 at 1:38 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Unfathomable Forgiveness

Unfathomable Forgiveness

"Then, when I make atonement for you for all you have done, you will remember and be ashamed and never again open your mouth..." Ezekiel 16:63

Scripture Focus: Psalm 32:1-5

Many Christians trivialize the whole concept of forgiveness. We go through each day committing numerous sins; then, at the end of the day, we quickly offer up a flippant prayer saying, "forgive all my sins." When we do this, we may fail to recognize the gravity of our mistakes and the consequences of our sins. We don't even think to ask God to help us change our sinful attitudes. After all, why should we change? God loves us just as we are, doesn't He? 

God does indeed love us exactly as we are, but He also loves us too much to let us stay that way. He never stops forgiving us. He never ceases to give us second chances. He desires that we have a change of heart and choose obedience over selfishness. God is best served when we live a life of humility and give Him the glory. 

When God forgives us, He removes our sins as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12). We, however, should be humbly mindful of what He has done, and praise 
Him accordingly.

Insight: What does forgiveness make you think of? Do you need to change to become more humble? Aren't you glad that God allows us to change?

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 9:54 pm

Date: July 21, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Ever Changing Seasons

Ever Changing Seasons

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die..." Ecclesiastes 3:1-2A

Scripture Focus: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Our natural tendency is to cling to that which is familiar while resisting the new. Granted, some things should never be relinquished, but for the most part, living a fulfilled life means learning to let go. Additionally, resistance to change can, in some ways, impede our progress in our relationship with God. 

As we read in Ecclesiastes, there is a time for everything. Life's seasons are characterized in many different ways, and throughout each season God has something to teach us. God is relentless in how He demonstrates His love for us, but if we are resistant to the idea of change, then we may be resisting Him, too. God desires that we focus on Him. If we are forever looking in the rear-view mirror at a season that has passed, we may completely miss out on where God is taking us next. 

Seasons and situations change, but God remains the same. Every good and perfect gift comes from Him (James 1:17). Let's welcome the changes He brings about in our lives and learn to appreciate the abundance of blessings He sends.

Insight: What keeps you from looking to the future? Do you ever cling to the past? Recall a blessing God has given you in the past.

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 21 Jul 2016, 9:10 pm

Date: July 21, 2016 at 2:11 AM
Topic: +DEV+  The Eternal Kingdom

The Eternal Kingdom

"For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:10-11

Scripture Focus: 2 Peter 1:3-11

Peter writes with distinction of the eternal kingdom of our Lord. It's our prepared place without sin, suffering, or death. As a person gets on in years, he thinks more and more of a rich welcome into this magnificent place. I envision the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, together with the redeemed standing at the entrance into glory, welcoming me and you with utter delight into the most precious existence that we could ever imagine, the eternal kingdom. 

Earthly kingdoms come and go. They blaze with brilliance for a moment, only to be replaced by another temporary kingdom. So the history of mankind goes. The day will come when only one kingdom will remain: the kingdom of God, the kingdom of heaven, the kingdom of Jesus Christ. 

Our meditations close this month as we feel ourselves being pulled by the magnet of divine love into the delights of the eternal kingdom in which Jesus Christ, King of kings and Lord of lords, reigns forever and ever. Amen. So come, Lord Jesus... we long to live with you eternally!

Insight: Why should we be tempted to give our ultimate loyalty to any king but king Jesus?

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 9:20 pm

Date: July 19, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Married into the Kingdom

Married into the Kingdom

"Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." Revelation 21:9B

Scripture Focus: Isaiah 62:1-5

What does God see when He looks upon this world? What excites Him? On what does He focus His all-seeing eyes, night and day? I believe the apple of His eye, so to speak, is His kingdom made up of people of countless cultures. He sees them constantly and He works to spread His Gospel into every nation and alleyway of this world. Of course, He sees national borders, like the maps we have drawn. 

But in His eyes, their importance fades when He views His body on the earth, spread across racial, national and cultural lines. His major concern is for the welfare and growth of His kingdom on the earth, not on the nations as such. In the book of Revelation John saw the prepared bride of Christ, called out of all tribes and nations. 

He loves the bride and the bride loves Him. That love bond is eternal and stronger than death itself. And certainly it is stronger than any nationalism. The Holy Spirit calls, "Come, see the bride, the wife of the Lamb." As His bride, you are destined to be joined with Christ forever!

Insight: Let your life be shaped by the reality of the hope of your perfect wedding day with you as the bride of Christ.

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 9:39 pm

Date: July 18, 2016 at 2:26 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Come To The Kingdom!

Come To The Kingdom!

"Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." Acts 2:36

Scripture Focus: Acts 2:1-24, 36-39

I like to think that the kingdom of God was inaugurated at Pentecost when the Holy Spirit fell with dramatic power on the 120 or so believers in Jerusalem. Normally a new king is seated on the throne of power with fanfare and flags. Jesus established His kingdom when He was not even physically present, but in heaven at the right hand of His Father, where He was already vested with all authority. It boggles the mind that no throne, no crown, no scepter, no blaring of bugles, and no army saluting the new king were to be found in Jerusalem. It was just an ordinary room with ordinary people. 

Even though Jesus was not physically present, His divine presence dominated the scene. Peter, the fisherman, explained what was happening, assuring them that Jesus was the One promised in the Scriptures to sit on the throne of King David. His kingdom is now among mankind, among all who would believe. 

God did not desert Israel, but the extraordinary kingdom of heaven would look all new: Jews and Gentiles alike are welcome!

Insight: The language of the kingdom, spoken in a thousand tongues, calls each of us to repent and be baptized.

Michael D. Inman

Date: July 19, 2016 at 12:08 AM
Topic: +DEV+  The Overcomer’s' Kingdom

The Overcomer’s' Kingdom

"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb..." Revelation 12:11

Scripture Focus: Revelation 12:7-12

The weapon of the world is the sword. The sword that takes life is not an appropriate weapon to defend or expand the kingdom of God. What, then, are our weapons? The Apostle John asked this same question. His answer: "They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death." At first glance, we ask, are these serious weapons? Alas, they are the most powerful ones imaginable! 

In 1 John 3:8 we read that these weapons "destroy the devil's works." And we find, to our amazement, that these are our weapons. In all cultures and at all times, the blood of the Lamb overcomes the enemy of our souls. 
We citizens of the new and exciting kingdom of heaven are not like the Crusaders a thousand years ago. They ruled Jerusalem for a few years but did little to expand the kingdom of God on the earth. 

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is not meant to be spread by the sword; it is spread by the loving service and winsome testimonies of grateful citizens.

Insight:  "This is the word of the lord...: 'not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 4:6

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:33 pm

Date: July 15, 2016 at 12:55 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Worlds Apart, Same Kingdom

Worlds Apart, Same Kingdom

"Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all." 1 Chronicles 29:11B

Scripture Focus: 1 Chronicles 29:10-13

The kingdom of God is for all who believe in Jesus Christ. I recall an early experience I had in Africa. With shining eyes and a smile on his face, a young Tanzanian man said, "I love Jesus." That is nice, I thought. Then he looked at me, "Do you love Jesus?" Of course I do, I thought. Am I not a missionary? 

Then I considered, "Is it possible that he believes that if he loves Jesus and I love Jesus, that means we are one in Jesus, like family members?" How could that be? Our cultures are so radically different in many respects. He is black, I am white. He speaks Kizanaki, I speak English. I have three academic degrees, he has not finished high school. Furthermore, he is a first generation believer, while all my Mennonite ancestors for 500 years were believers. With these differences and many more, how can he assume that we are related closer than blood brothers? Because he knows - and I know - that we are washed by the same blood and energized by the same Holy Spirit. 

This is the kingdom that Jesus died to create.

Insight: All of us in the kingdom of God are astounded by what is happening to us. And it is good! so be it.

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 9:27 pm

Date: July 12, 2016 at 10:00 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Looks of the Kingdom

Looks of the Kingdom

"You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the  side of truth listens to me." John 18:37

Scripture Focus: John 19:6-16

King of what? The Roman authorities, egged on by the leaders of the Jews, asked Jesus after they arrested him, "Are you the king of the Jews?" Jesus' answer of a kingdom from another place and another world (John 18:36) baffled them. Jesus did not bother to try to explain what the "other place" was. It is from heaven, of course. But neither Jews nor Romans could even begin to understand what He was talking about. 

Things aren't much different today. Some people mistakenly expect to see a visible kingdom of God on earth, something that looks like the familiar political or national kingdoms we know. One of the features of the kingdom of God is that it can be seen only by those who have "born-again eyes." We see it in a glass of cold water given to the thirsty, a person forgiving another who harmed him, an unexpected gesture of kindness. We see it in the fellowships of believers numbering millions, in almost every culture, language and nation on the earth, all praising the Lamb of God who was slain.

Insight: Believers need to be reminded of the fact that the people of this world cannot see the kingdom at all. but we can show them!

Michael D. Inman

Date: July 14, 2016 at 2:46 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Kingdom Revealed Again

Kingdom Revealed Again

"He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?" John 14:21-22

Scripture Focus: John 20:19-20, 26; 21:1

Good question, Judas. Jesus' answer searches the heart. He reminded His disciples that He appears to those who love Him. That does not mean that Jesus does not reveal Himself to the world, for He does so in nature, in consciences, the laws of logic, and so forth. Some people are impressed; others not. But He "shows" Himself to those who love Him because of the love bond that exists between Him and those in whom He lives by faith. The citizens of the kingdom of God are bound together in the bonds of love, God's love, given freely to us. 

I sometimes forget that one of the most precious privileges I have as a member of Christ's body, His kingdom, is Jesus' eagerness to show Himself to me again and again. He never tires of doing so. John wrote about Jesus after His resurrection, saying, "Jesus appeared again to his disciples... It happened this way" (21:1). This is my testimony and the song of all who believe: Jesus appeared again! And again! Someday we will see Him face to face, in blazing glory.

Insight: Lord, show us Jesus again and again and again. Every hour we need him!

Michael D. Inman

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next