World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 11:01 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 10:44 pm by Admin

» What is Shavuot and What is Pentecost?
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 10:41 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 10:36 pm by Admin

» The Ayatollah Who Supports Israel
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 10:18 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 10:15 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 10:14 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 9:39 pm by Admin

» ARE THE HOSTAGES IN EGYPT?
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 9:31 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 9:30 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 8:45 pm by Admin

» Breaking IranCopter Crash Pres.Raisi
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptyYesterday at 7:58 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 10:14 pm by Admin

» The Great Tragedy - Greg Laurie Devotion
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 10:00 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 9:39 pm by Admin

» Europe resolution on Zelenskyy’s “peace formula”
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 9:03 pm by Admin

» Israel Judaica and Roman Hadrian
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 4:34 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 2:33 pm by Admin

» Ancient Hatred Reviving? Vatican
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 12:53 am by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 25 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:34 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 15, 2012
I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas: Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 1
By Answers2Prayer

One of the things I look forward to the most about Christmas is the Christmas Carols. The Christmas season just isn't complete without renditions of "Silent Night", "God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen", and "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear".

But not all Christmas songs focus on Jesus' birth. Although Christmas carols traditionally focussed on the celebration of Jesus' birth, in more recent times, many of the tunes that have become popularly associated with Christmas appear to ignore the Christ child completely!

I don't know about you, but with the popular secularization of Christmas in North America, I find it hard enough to keep Christ the center of Christmas without every grocery store piping "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" into my mind!

This got me thinking this year: Are there, perhaps, spiritual lessons we can learn from the not-so-Jesus-oriented Christmas songs that have worked their way into our traditions?

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the answer is an emphatic "yes"! There are many important spiritual lessons that secular Christmas songs can teach us, and if we remember these lessons, the next time we are surrounded by refrains of "Jingle Bells", perhaps it will help us to keep Christ the center of our Christmas!

Secular Christmas songs will be the theme of this mini-series, Lessons From Christmas Carols, that will be appearing in the upcoming editions of the Nugget. For today, let's take a look at perhaps the most popular Christmas song ever:

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas
Written by Irving Berlin, possibly while visiting Banning California in 1940, this song was recorded by Bing Cosby in 1941, and became famous in 1942 when it topped the music charts. It again topped the charts during the Christmas seasons of 1945 and 1946, making it the only song to ever top the music charts three separate times. Even today, 70 years later, "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas" is still considered to be the number one Christmas song of all times.

Here are the lyrics:

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten, and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white"

So what's so special about this song?

Having grown up in Southern California, I was in my late 20s before I ever experienced the charm of a white Christmas. And charming it is! There is something so special about waking up on a Christmas morning to find a blanket of pure, fresh, untracked snow. Many a Christmas morning I've gone out for a walk, just to bask in the glorious, pure white world. I relish the fact that the ugliness and filth of the streets is now covered in a beautiful white, I delight in the white coating on the otherwise bare limbs of the deciduous trees, and I and to revel in the total silence, for the snow dampens the normal morning sounds.

But as I reflect on this, I realize that most of the world's population will never experience a white Christmas. Why? Because much of the world is in the southern hemisphere, where Christmas comes in the summertime. And even for those who live in the northern hemisphere, snow isn't always a part of winter!

So is this song simply a dream that most of the world will never be able to experience? Is that what makes it so special? The nostalgia of what might never be?

Maybe.

Or maybe not.

You see, this song reminds me of a familiar Bible text: "'Come now, and let us reason together,' Says the Lord, 'Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.'" (Isa 1:18 NKJV)

Just like that new layer of fresh snow covers all the ugliness and dirt of the world, Jesus' blood covers all of our sin, making us as white as snow! When we accept Jesus' gift of Salvation, our sins are removed from us: "For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us." (Ps 103:11-12 NKJV)!

On our own, it is as if we are clothed in filthy rags: "But we are all like an unclean thing,
And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags..." (Isa 64:6 NKJV). But the gift Jesus came to give that first Christmas morning covers our filth, making us new again! "For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness..." (Isa 61:10 NKJV).

Christmas is Jesus' birthday, and as a result, we don't have to "dream" of a white Christmas. We can have one, no matter where we find ourselves at Christmas time, because the One whose Birthday we celebrate at Christmas is the One who doesn't just "cover up" the filth of our sin, but instead, puts it away from us as far as the east is from the west! As a result, all of our days can, indeed, be "merry and white", and all of our Christmases can be white!

Thank you Jesus!

So the next time you hear "I'm Dreaming of a White Chirstmas", remember: With Jesus, every Christmas IS "White"!

Join us next Tuesday for Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 2: The Little Drummer Boy.
In His love,

Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.
Announcement:

Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16 "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." NIV Send your prayer request to prayerrequest@answers2prayer.org and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20 "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." NIV Hallelujah!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 13, 2012
O Little "Big" Bethlehem... Part 2

"O little town of Bethlehem
How still we see thee lie..."
In the concluding part of the series on "Little" big Bethlehem, today after we come to the final dimension of the said subject namely the

Prophetical Significance...

Why did the Messiah make a "touchdown" in Bethlehem in his "Operation salvation"? For those spiritually starving for salvation, where else, could the 'Bread of life' (John 6:58) which gives eternal life be born other than the place known as 'Bread' -- Bethlehem in Jewish language means 'Bread'. Prophecy, as one Bible scholar correctly said, "is nothing but History written in advance."

Why do Old Testament Scriptures abound with Messianic Prophecies? On His one solitary life, hinged the entire Salvation of mankind! Lest the rationalists attribute the virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14), place of his birth (Micah 5:2), atoning death on the cross (Psalm 22:16/Isaiah 53), resurrection (Psalm 16:10-11, Acts 2:28) and his victorious ascension (Psalm 68:18/Eph 4:18) to a sheer accident or coincidence, the Heavenly Father in infinite wisdom had everything written down in "black and white", several centuries before those landmark events even occurred. Let me illustrate...

Last Christmas, the womenfolk of our Church went to a reasonably distant Departmental store to buy gifts for the widows/orphans/Sunday school children of our Church. When, they came back it dawned on one Sister (in faith) that she had forgotten her purse containing many valuables in the parking lot of a huge, busy commercial complex. Praying profusely, the entire "Purchase committee" rushed back to that hustling, bustling area after full one hour (traffic snarls you see) where a unguarded purse has as much chance of remaining unpicked as an ice-cube would have of not melting in a fiery furnace. Hallelujah, they found it safe and secure! Now if I were to share this thrilling account with a rationalist giving all glory to the prayer-answering God, (you guessed it right), he would attribute this "miraculous recovery" to sheer "coincidence or luck". But ponder for a moment, if this entire account had been foretold and documented in a "Divinely-inspired book", say 20 years ago, would he still attribute this true story to a mere coincidence. He would have no other option but to accept it as an Divine act! Ditto the same, with several of the Messianic prophecies, including the one about the place of his birth. Bravo Bethlehem...

Yet another significance of fulfillment of prophecies is that it makes us take the remaining unfulfilled prophecies of God, specifically related to Christ's second Coming, seriously. Even in the human realm, if we have a friend who time and again sticks to his word, won't we take his other promises seriously because of his spotless track record of keeping up his word, always? Similarly, if The Word (yet another glorious name of our Lord -- See John 1:1) has time and again, kept up His word, won't He keep His word regarding His 2nd Coming too? Amongst others, what are the two distinct signs of recent times that trumpet the truth about the last trumpet call signaling the Church's rapture (I Cor 15:52/2 Thess 4:16)? Consider this verse: "When the Son of Man returns, it will be like it was in Noah's day." (Matt 24:37). What two evils conspicously marked Noah's time? Violence and corruption, for you ladies and gentleman (See Genesis 6:12-13)! Do I need to furnish proof to substantiate these plain facts? Does not media overflow with accounts of terror strikes (now there female suicide bombers also), feudal killings in real and reel life (minus a smoking gun or a bloody knife the macho-image of any cine hero in a poster is said to be incomplete) are a way of life now?

Some irrefutable proofs here...
In Denver the other day, what came was not Dark Knight but even a Darker night experience, which victims (who survived) would like to forget. There they waited for Batman. Instead arrived a gun-man with a "gun-spitting" fire.

Sky-rocketing violence everywhere...tell-tale signs:
Is Jesus right only when it comes to his sayings such as "Those who live by the Sword, die by it" (Matt 26:52). Why shouldn't we take His other Prophecies as regards His Second Coming seriously, just as we take earnestly his time-tested ones such as the one quoted above? No cherry-picking please...

And Corruption...oh boy...oh boy...

It is "news" nowadays only, if there is no scam in 24 hours!!!

So will the lowly Bethlehem Babe return soon as a righteous King to set right all the wrongs...bringing order, where is disorder, peace where peace has gone to pieces, morality where there is immorality, hope where there is despair, joy where there is sorrow? You can take Him at His word...

"'Yes, I am coming soon!' Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!" (Rev 22:20)
Are you alert? Have you alerted others? The gospel of this era is not only that Christ came, but that He is also coming again...Soon! So even as we sing,
"O holy Child of Bethlehem
Descend to us, we pray"
for all we know in a twinkle of an eye, we may be having our mid-air rendezvous with the Lord! This expectation ought to makes this year's Christmas, one of added jubilation, right? Certainly! Merry "alert" Christmas, to one and all...
Prayer: Father, we praise and thank Thee for your noble attribute of always keeping your Word. We believe, very soon, you would fulfill the prophecy of Thy Son's second Coming too. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
Suresh ManoharanJ and SM Ministries
Announcement:

Christmas is just a few short weeks away. Christmas carols are being sung from every department and grocery store. Can these Christmas carols speak to us of Jesus? Join us throughout the rest of the month for lessons from secular Christmas songs.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm

Welcome to the Nugget December 11, 2012
O Little "Big" Bethlehem... Part 1 By Answers2Prayer

"O little town of Bethlehem
How still we see thee lie..."

So goes the famous popular Christmas carol sung in many Churches during the Christmas season, heralding the birth of the Savior. For those with a flair for history, this touching hymn was penned by Rector Phillips Brooks (1835-1903) of Philadelphia, in 1868, following a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. He was inspired by the view of Bethlehem from the hills of Palestine, especially at night time, hence the lyrics of O Little Town of Bethlehem. His church organist, Lewis Redner (1831-1908), wrote the melody for the Sunday school children's choir.

Is there something significantly "big" about "little" Bethlehem? Very much! Consider this verse which affirms this truth...

"But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, are only a small village among all the people of Judah.Yet a ruler of Israel will come from you, one whose origins are from the distant past." (Micah 5:2 NLV)

In order, we will take a 360 degree view about little "Big" Bethlehem, in this 2-part series, let's consider the

1. Personality
2. Personal and
3. Prophetical significance

of the afore-referred Scripture portion. Firstly,

Personality Significance...

Hey, was not King David, the greatest of all Jewish Kings, born in Bethlehem (Ruth 2:1, 4:13-17/I Samuel 16) nearly 300 years before Micah of Moresheth came up with this stirring prophecy? Is there any doubting David's unique place in both the historical as well as the spiritual realm of the Nation of Israel? Was not David a benchmark for other Judean Kings who followed him (2 Chronicles 17:3/28:1/34:2) in the matters of obedience to the Almighty? So how in the name of logic, could Scripture mention Bethlehem as only "a small village" when it actually could "boast" of being a birthplace of such a spiritual and a historical giant like David? It ought to have been at par with Jerusalem (from where the Judean Kings, including David, ruled) in terms of both spiritual and historical importance! For an answer, welcome to the Spiritual laws of relativity!!!

The greatest King of Israel pales in comparison with the eternal King of Kings, who was going to be born in Bethlehem. Period. This Judean village would be "small" in the Omniscient one's sight, only untill the "Greatest of em' all" arrived. It is the Savior's birth in Bethlehem, which would enhance its stature in the Heavenly sphere.

Now Christian, are you taking pride in only your special, godly heritage? Good as it is to have noble forefathers of evangelical or pastoral calling, be more proud of the fact that Savior was "born" in your heart, the day you accepted Him, as your Savior. Your status in God's sight is not based on the great "David-like" grandparents of yours who preceded you, but whether Christ has come into your life or not!!! For that's all that matters in the eyes of the Almighty, who set the ball of the "Redemption plan" rolling on the First Christmas.

Personal significance...

Say Christian, are you an insignificant "little Bethlehem" in your neighborhood? Not many heads turn, when you walk by, right? Take heart, the moment Christ was "born" in your heart, you became a precious jewel in the Creator's treasure house. Speaking of riches and treasures (taken literally also), is not Bethlehem filling the coffers of Israel today, by way of handsome foreign tourism revenue?

Raise your hands, those who have been to a museum...where items of Royal patronage are preserved? What articles do you see normally displayed there...permit me to add here, from a distance of about 6 feet (they are invaluable, hence none can come near)? A watch, a pen, a turban? Are they not items of common usage? What then is so special about them that they are priceless? Answer is as simple as it is profound. They belong to a king!!! Ditto with a Christian... (Jeremiah 9:23-24/I Cor 3:16).

Prayer: Father, we praise Thee for making us "Your own" through your "Indescribable gift" to this World...our own Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen and Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
Christmas is just a few short weeks away. Christmas carols are being sung from every department and grocery store. Can these Christmas carols speak to us of Jesus? Join us on Thursday for O Little "Big" Town of Bethlehem, Part 2, and throughout the rest of the month for lessons from secular Christmas songs.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:53 pm

Welcome to the Nugget December 8, 2012
Right on Time By Answers2Prayer

The little lad was sitting in Mother's chair watching the clock. He knew when the hands said six and twelve, the sun would begin coming up. Mother would be up and the day would start.

Then he stared and blinked and stared again. The hands of the clock were stuck, they weren't moving at all. Time was not happening. Time had stopped. Whatever happens when time stops, he wondered.

Perhaps the sun would never come up, not ever again. Perhaps if time stopped in the night, there would never be another day, not ever. The lad shuddered. He heard the Train Driver coming up the pathway and jumped down and ran through the open door to meet him.

"Driver," whispered the little lad, looking into the Driver's face, "can you help, please?" And a tear trickled off as the Driver picked him up.

"Whatever's wrong?" asked the Driver, concerned at his teary face.

"The clock stopped and time isn't any more," he gulped, "and the sun won't come up ever again."

The Driver cuddled him under his chin. "No, my little lad, no," he soothed. "If all the clocks in the world stopped, time wouldn't."

"H-how d-do you know?" sniffled the little lad, wiping his eyes on the Driver's collar. "Clocks tell time."

"I know because I see time working," answered the Driver.

"You -- you see time?" asked the lad. He knew time happened but he had never actually seen it.

"Yes, my lad," said the Driver. "I see it happening all around me when I am driving trains. Everything runs to time, you know."

"Do you? Does it?" queried the lad looking earnestly into his face. "If time is all around you, can you tell the time by it?" he asked seriously.

"Let me tell you how I see time working," smiled the Driver, settling the lad into the curve of his arm. "The great clock, which began when the world began, is still ticking. Time does not depend on Mother's clock. God made time and scattered it across the sky. He said 'let there be lights in the vault of the heavens to separate day from night, and let them serve as signs both for festivals and for seasons and years.'"

"Do you mean," whispered the lad, "the sky is a time?"

"Yes it is. The sun and the moon tell the times and seasons. And the stars all rise and set exactly on time. You can set your clock by them if you know their rhythm," explained the Driver. "If God wanted to alter time, He would need to alter the whole sky. He even announced Christmas from the sky with a star, 'Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared.' The star told them Christmas had come." (Matthew 2:7)

"Truly?" queried the lad.

"Truly, and 'when the time was fully come, God sent his Son,'" smiled the Driver. (Galatians 4:4)

The little lad sighed a great relief. The world hadn't stopped, time was still happening in the sky.

"Shall we make Mother a cup of tea now? She will like one when she gets up," said the Train Driver, "will you help me to make it for her?"

Very comforted by the Driver, he smiled as the morning sun peeped through the window and they made tea for Mother -- right on time.

Elizabeth Price

Announcement:
What kinds of lessons can we learn from Christmas songs? Join us on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays until Christmas and find out! Next Tuesday begins a 2-part series on the beautiful son, "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem", by Brother Suresh Manoharan. Following this series will be a 5-part series on popular Christmas carols and what they have to teach us about the Christ child -- Lessons From Christmas Carols, by Lyn Chaffart.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:15 pm

Welcome to the Nugget December 6, 2012
Tin Tin and Christmas, Part 2 By Answers2Prayer
In the concluding part of my series on "Tintin and Christmas", today I would like to begin the devo with a school teacher like question once again...

Raise your hands, those of you who have been taught "how to lie" by their parents or School teachers. No hands would go up. Yes, no one teaches us how to lie or for that matter commit petty thefts, but these actions "take birth" in us, right from our childhood days. By the same token, after we cross a certain age, we would not dare go outside the house naked. No, not even atheists would do that!!! Why? Is it not because of inherent, fallen Adamic nature in all of us, reminding us of shame, all the time? That is why the Saviour remarked, "I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God." (John 3:3) This truth is as simple as it is profound. All of us, without any exception (even the so-called respectable people of the society, for they know their true condition in their heart of hearts) need a re-generation. It is to give this new spiritual re-birth that Saviour arrived right on dot in human history (Galatians 4:4). Jesus is no social revolutionary (to view him as one would be a case of missing the wood for the trees) but a spiritual revolutionary, who came to set right the shattered relationship (in the Garden of Eden) between God and man (Romans 5:19).

Now how does this spiritual re-birth take place? It is a one to one transaction between the Saviour and the sinner purely based on trust. Let the Scripture take over...

"But everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved." (Acts 2:21/Romans 10:13)

It is an experience to be experienced personally, for words may not be adequate to describe the heavenly joy that in fills the heart of a saved sinner when he/she put his/her trust on Jesus to save him/her from sins...

"Yes, what joy for those whose record the LORD has cleared of guilt." (Psalm 32:2).

"But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn -- not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God." (John 1:12-13)

The immortal Christmas hymn (originally penned by Charles Wesley) gets it right...some portions of it I am quoting here...

Hark the Herald angels sing...

Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.

God and sinners reconciled!

Adam's likeness, Lord, efface,
Stamp Thine image in its place

While the same Saviour who in and through His First advent gives "joy and peace of salvation" individually to "all" who accept Him, also guarantees to bring universal world-wide order and peace in His second advent (Isaiah 9:6).

This Christmas, those who have never tasted Christ's love, more than tasting sweetness in the cakes or wine, I would urge you to partake in the sweetness of the Saviour's love by receiving Him into your hearts. Honestly to "enjoy" Christmas, there is no need for a "Star outside the house and a bar inside". Rather rephrase and adopt the Intel slogan, "Jesus Inside".

And those who have already tasted of the Christ's redemptive love spread the Good news amongst those living away from the Saviour that the joy the former are experiencing in their hearts can be that of the latter too.

Yes, that's truly Merry Christmas...with joy emanating from the depths of one's heart. Talk of enjoying heaven, right here on earth (John 10:10 / Gal 5:22-23). Hey, this is not conditional happiness based on circumstances but one which comes on righting the relationship with the Creator, who sent the Redeemer for that purpose!!!

Ah Tintin's Red Rackham's treasure? Wanna more joy than getting hands on any perishable treasure:

Go no further than making the Saviour of the whole world YOUR Saviour, too!

Prayer; Father, there is no greater treasure than having Thy Son in my heart. I thank Thee once again for sending the Saviour into this messy World to save us...Me...Amen and Amen!

Yours in His service,
Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
What kinds of lessons can we learn from Christmas songs? Join us on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, beginning next Tuesday, and find out! Next Tuesday begins a 2-part series on the beautiful son, "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem", by Brother Suresh Manoharan. Following this series will be a 5-part series on popular Christmas carols and what they have to teach us about the Christ child -- Lessons From Christmas Carols, by Lyn Chaffart.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:47 pm

Welcome to the Nugget December 4, 2012
Tin Tin and Christmas, Part 1 By Answers2Prayer

I agree, it is Christmas "message" time folks! But firstly how about having a round of Quiz? Which is your favorite Tintin comic? Do I hear the answers... Tintin in Tibet, Crab with the Golden claws etc., etc. Some would confide, any comic with Captain Haddock (most spicy character) in it. Well, my favourite? Red Rackham's treasure (with Captain Haddock in all his pristine glory), which is actually a juicy sequel of yet another Tintin thriller namely The Secret of the Unicorn.

Before it gets more curious (what has Tintin comics to do with yours truly's Christmas message?) acquiring the contours of a full-fledged Tintin mystery, let me share with you through this two-part series that there is something common between Red Rackham's treasure and the Christmas message, many of us go "treasure-hunting for"? Still, do not understand? Let me explain.

Where exactly do Tintin and his friends eventually discover the "sunken" invaluable treasure? In the Ocean depths? Nay!!! Literally and figuratively under their very noses... in the Marlinspike Hall!!! By the same token, do we not search far and wide trying to figure out the significance of Christmas, when it is right in front of our very eyes. In fact, one need not go any further than this Yuletide-related Scripture portion:

"And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." (Matt 1:21). Jesus means the Savior. Pure and simple. Message is in all the name, really. To attribute Jesus' birth to any other reason other than the clearly stated Biblical reason would be diluting the significance of Christmas. Nothing more, nothing less, Nothing else!!!

Why do we need a Saviour, if we aren't in trouble? The main trouble in the World is not violence, corruption nor immorality. They are mere manifestations of the deeper malaise... sin, which entered mankind the moment our first parents sank their teeth into the forbidden (Romans 5:12). That is why one Biblical scholar with Jeremiah 17:9 in his mind remarked at the heart of all human problems is the sinfulness of the human heart.

Prayer: Father, give us all wisdom that the fundamental truth revolving around Christmas does not slip by without we noticing it. In my Saviour Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
What kinds of lessons can we learn from Christmas songs? Join us on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, beginning next Tuesday, and find out! Next Tuesday begins a 2-part series on the beautiful son, "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem", by Brother Suresh Manoharan. Following this series will be a 5-part series on popular Christmas carols and what they have to teach us about the Christ child -- Lessons From Christmas Carols, by Lyn Chaffart.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 02 Dec 2012, 11:20 pm

Welcome to the Nugget December 1, 2012
At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity, Part 7: Testimonies About Jesus By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA, Part 6, we saw that the reward for believing in Jesus is life eternal, but those who do not believe are condemned. The people of Jesus' day still weren't convinced, and neither are our friends who have different beliefs about the divinity of Jesus Christ. After all, if Joe Blow off the street says he is God's Son, would you believe him?

And that is likely exactly what the people of Jesus' day thought: Who is this man to claim He is God's Son?

Jesus knew their thoughts, and He knows human nature: "If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid." (John 5:31 NIV)

Jesus isn't asking us to simply believe because He said it! He doesn't leave us without proof! Let's look:

"There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is valid." (John 5:32 NIV)

Okay, so just who is this testimony?

The first one to come to my mind is John the Baptist, and that must have been who the people were thinking of too, for Jesus goes on to speak about John: "You have sent to John and he has testified to the Truth ... John was a lamp that burned and gave light ..." (John 5:33,35a NIV).

In other words, yes! John was a living testimony that Jesus was, indeed, the Son of God! And the people, for a time anyway, believed in John's teachings, for Jesus says, "John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light." (John 5:35 NIV)

But is a human testimony enough? After all, the false prophets of our day can also claim to have been heralded by another human! Does it really mean anything?

Not in the grand scheme of things, for Jesus said, "Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved." (John 5:34 NIV). Jesus does not leave the subject here. He's covering all His bases in this one sermon! Let's look: "I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the very work that the Father has given me to finish, and which I am doing, testifies that the Father has sent me." (John 5:36 NIV)

In other words, you may not believe now, and that's okay. But stay tuned! I am doing what the Father told Me to do, and when I am done, My actions will testify that I am truly of the Father!

Jesus is giving us one chance after another. He does not wish for any to be lost! If you don't believe what He says, and you didn't believe the testimony of the one sent to announce Him, then there is still further proof! Just watch His future ministry!

Still not quite convinced? Jesus doesn't leave ANY stones unturned here. He wants for you to be beyond doubt that He is God's Son: "And the Father who sent Me has Himself testified concerning Me. You have never heard His voice nor seen His form, nor does His Word dwell in you, for you do not believe the One He sent. You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about Me, yet you refuse to come to Me to have life!" (John 5:37-40 NIV)

In other words, God Himself testifies that Jesus is His Son! That is the purpose behind the Scriptures, the Old Testament teachings! They all point to Jesus!

Yet so many study those self-same Scriptures and do not see. They "refuse to come to Me to have life".

In all, Jesus is presenting different pieces that make up the puzzle of Truth: His own testimony, the testimony of John the Baptist, the testimony of God through the Scriptures, and even the testimony of His ministry that was still to come.

Has any other walked the Earth who met the testimony of all of these Truths?

No, not one.

And anyone who denies this four-fold testimony is condemned, not by Jesus Himself, but by the writer of the Scriptures: "Do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. If you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for He wrote about Me. But since you do not believe what He wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?" (John 5:45-47 NIV)

Friends, let's remember: Jesus came exactly as it was prophesied in Scripture. He was the fulfillment of the prophecies of Moses. John the Baptist testified of Him, God testified of Him, and Jesus own work of redemption testifies that He is God's Son. Can there be any doubt left in your minds?

This is the last lesson from At the Pool of Bethesda. You will find the rest of this study published online here, or contact me at directly by clicking here. You are also invited to visit other studies on the deep discourses of Jesus presented to us in the book of John by visiting: Lessons From the Book of John!

May God bless you abundantly as you continue to seek Him through His Word!
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.

Announcement:
Christmas is nearly upon us. What lessons can we learn from the holiday season this year? Please join us on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays throughout the month of December and see!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:25 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 29, 2012
At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity, Part 6: The Reward By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA, Part 5, Jesus outlined beyond a doubt that He is God's Son, and His teachings are clear: When we honor Jesus by believing in His teachings, we are honoring God. By the same token, when we deny Jesus' divinity, when we do not believe His teachings on this subject, we dishonor God!

We live in a world where everyone holds to different beliefs. We are admonished to be tolerant towards those beliefs, but they often differ from Jesus' teachings on His own divinity. What do we do? These are often good, peace-loving people. They don't ask anything of us, why should we be trying to change them?

Jesus addresses this in His Pool of Bethesda discourse: "...whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." (John 5:24 NIV)

This is very clear, friends. Jesus is serious! Believing in the divinity of our Lord and Savior is the difference between life and death!

When God really wants us to pay attention, He repeats Himself, and Jesus goes on to repeat Himself in the next few verses: "I tell you the Truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself. And He has given Him authority to judge because He is the Son of Man." (John 5:25-27 NIV)

The Bible speaks of our life of sin as "death". Consider the following text from the book of Isaiah: "We look for light, but there is darkness! For brightness, but we walk in blackness! We grope for the wall like the blind, And we grope as if we had no eyes; We stumble at noonday as at twilight; We are as dead men in desolate places." (Isa 59:9-10 NKJV)

But Jesus promises life to those who are spiritual dead: "...a time...has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live." (John 5:26 NIV)

The secret to that life? "...those who hear will live"!

Does this seem strange to you?

Apparently it did to the people of the day, for He continues: "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice and come out -- those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned." (John 5:28-29 NIV)

And just what constitutes this "doing good"?

Jesus has already answered this: "those who hear will live"! Doing good means to hear what Jesus is teaching, believe in Him as the Son of God, and accept His gift of Salvation!

That is the reward, friends! We will rise to live!

So what about our friends of other beliefs? The ones we are admonished to be tolerant of?

Jesus' teachings are also clear: "...and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned."

But, you say, they are good people!

Jesus has already made the point clear: "He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him." (John 5:23b NIV)

It doesn't matter how loving and peaceful people of different beliefs are. If they do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, they do not honor God, and "Those who have done evil will rise to be condemned."

Is that what you want for your friends? That they rise to be condemned?

I don't know about you, but that isn't what I want!

I have recently been in contact with a lovely non-Christian person via email. This person has a heart of gold, but is also solidly closed to Christianity. What am I to do? Do I practice tolerance? Respect this person's beliefs and leave this person alone? Or do I try to bring this person to truth?

If I have any love of Christ in me, I must do the later! I cannot leave one of God's children ignorant to His Truth! For if I do, he or she "will rise to be condemned"!

But this doesn't mean that I must continually "bother" this person with Truth (for that is how this person sees presentation of Truth). What it means is that I continue to pray for this person, and I stay in tune with God, doing what He tells me to do, when He tells me to do it. But most certainly I do not just sit back and "tolerate".

But the people of Jesus' day still weren't convinced about the divinity of Jesus Christ, and neither are our friends who have different beliefs. After all, if Joe Blow off the street says he is God's Son, would we believe him? If a false prophet arises and teaches us that if we don't believe his teachings, we are dishonoring God, do we switch our loyalties from Jesus to him?

And let's face it: This is likely exactly what the people of Jesus' day thought, and Jesus does not stop His discourse here. Instead He goes on to provide even further proof that He is God's Son. If you are interested in seeing what this "further proof" is, join us next week for the final part of At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 7: Testimonies About Jesus!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Please join us on Saturday for the last lesson from the Book of John, Study 3: At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:40 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 27, 2012
Fishers of Men, Part 2 By Answers2Prayer

Readers would recall that in the previous part of this Series, we reflected upon the seriousness of our calling to be Fishers of Men. Today, let's come to the two difficult groups, we encounter at the time of Personal evangelism and the dynamics of Mass Evangelism.

The two "difficult" categories of people to whom, we can possibly reach by way of personal evangelism are firstly those whom we meet regularly (our co-students, office colleagues, family members, etc.) and the second category are those whom, we may meet only once in a while (our fellow plane, long-journey bus/rail passengers, fellow customers sitting beside us in a Bank/Spa etc). While the former to be influenced would need us to not only to speak but also live our faith day in and day out, which can be accomplished only by His strength (John 15:4), then the latter would need to see the urgency in our demeanor and earnestness of the message in a few minutes/hours we may be with them (a la Phillip -- See Acts 8:26-39), which too can be accomplished only by His power. Oh how true the words of our Lord "... For without Me, you cannot do anything." (John 15:5).

While with the former group, opportunities of sharing the gospel are bound to come as there is no paucity of time, with the latter we need to prayerfully look out for opportunities soon to share the Gospel, as the time at hand is scarce. Sharing what the Gospel has done in your life, should be preceded by establishing "a Common Ground" (I Cor 9:19-23). By common ground, I mean a topic of mutual interest. The "common ground", I have found in my personal evangelism efforts whilst travelling, sitting beside a fellow customer in a bank or waiting alongside others for my turn for a hair cut in a Barber shop/my turn for massaging in a spa are usually topics of "current media interest" or "sports" or "vocation of my spiritual prospect", which I can immediately know, provided I introduce myself immediately giving my visiting card with respect ... a la Japanese.

Once the common ground is established, prayerfully depend on the Holy Spirit to veer the discussion towards your own personal experience of personally experiencing the power and joy of the Gospel. Leave the ultimate results of sowing the Gospel seed into the hands of the Lord ... hey, there are going to be surprises in Heaven ...

Mass evangelism (a public manifestation of God's power) as opposed to personal evangelism (silent manifestation of God's power) would entail operation of Apostolic gifts (2 Cor 12:12/Acts 19:11-12) too. At all times during Mass evangelism (organized by way of massive public meetings) "signs and wonders" would carry the day for God's servants. Apostles and Evangelists (Eph 4:11-12) are especially anointed by the Almighty to do several astonishing miracles whereby public attention is drawn to them and then eventually to the all Powerful One, who is the source behind all the miraculous works. Needy public (mostly facing health problems) are drawn to them as iron filings to a magnet. Once delivered from physical distress say life-threatening diseases like cancer, what other choice is left to the "delivered lot" and their family members who are personal witness to a stupendous miracle then to accept the "Omnipotent Deliverer" into their hearts! While on the subject of Apostles (the highest in the ranks of Christian Ministerial hierarchy -- See 1 Cor 12:28) mightily used by the good Lord, it needs to be noted that the good Lord in His sovereign wisdom, places at times "some thorn in the flesh" (read some secret physical or emotional infirmity) of the wonders-working Apostles, lest they get puffed up with pride (2 Cor 12:1-10)! Strong as is their relationship with the Almighty, they accept "these thorns in the flesh" and get on with it humbly!

Amazing thing about the Lord's amazing grace is that both personal evangelists (read lay Christians) and mighty, full-time Apostles would be entitled to the crowns of rejoicing, though it needs to be remembered Apostles and Evangelists would get more of them as they would be winning more souls en masse.
A personal evangelist or a mighty apostle, let's be earnest fishers of men! Caught any "fish" of late, pal?

Prayer: Father, I am comforted by your promise that my labour for you would never be in vain (I Cor 15:58). Help me always to be a passionate witness for Thee. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
Please join us on Thursday and Saturday of this week for the final two lessons from At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:17 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 24, 2012
At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity, Part 5: Jesus is God By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 4, we learned that we have access to the will of God through Jesus. Jesus knows the will of the Father, and because He has called us His friends, He will reveal that will to us. The key to knowing God's will begins with a personal relationship with Him!

Wait a minute. I thought this particular discourse of Jesus was about Jesus' divinity. To date, this hasn't been addressed. Lesson 1 focused on how to prepare for a miracle, lesson 2's focus was on how we should react when we've received a miracle, lesson 3 taught us that God never stops working and Jesus never did anything by Himself, but only did what He saw the Father doing, and then lesson 4 teaches about having a personal relationship with God. But where is the bit about the divinity of Jesus?

Belief in the trinity and in the divinity of Jesus is something that is unique Christianity. No other world religion embraces the trinity. The Jews and Muslims see this particular Christian belief as "worshiping other gods", in direct defiance of the verse that says "our God is One God". They do not accept Jesus as God. Even some who are under the umbrella of Christianity do not believe Jesus is uniquely God. So why, then, do we believe in the Trinity, in the divinity of Jesus?

The space allotted for this devotional is too short to be able to completely address this issue, but suffice is to say, one of the reasons is this very discourse that we've been looking at. This is the underlying theme of everything Jesus says after the miracle at the pool of Bethesda.

Let's look:

1. Jesus' ability to heal the paralytic stems from the fact that He is God.

2. Jesus performed the miracle on the Sabbath, the day of rest, to help us understand that ultimate rest -- from worry, from concerns, etc. -- come only from Him! That He is the Lord of the Sabbath. Who could claim such a thing but the God who proclaimed the Sabbath holy in the first place?

3. Jesus was always 100% in compliance with God's will. Why? Because He and God are One! Two parts to the whole! They work together in all things! Jesus never worked outside of God's plan!

4. And finally, we, too, can always be in touch with God's will, through Jesus. Why? Because He and God are two parts of the Trinity, and because Jesus calls us His friend, we, too, have access to God's will.

And the next few verses of John chapter 5 make it even clearer:

"For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom He is pleased to give it." (John 5:21 NIV)

How does Jesus have the power to raise the dead to life? Because He and the father are One. Two parts to the Trinity!

"Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgement to the Son..." (John 5:22 NIV); and "And He has given Him authority to judge because He is the Son of man." (John 5:27 NIV)

Just like our mouths are dedicated to speaking, our ears to hearing, parts of the whole, one of Jesus' functions, as a part of the trinity, is judgment! He even tells us why this part has been relinquished to Jesus: "...that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father." (John 5:23a NIV)

Then He goes on to give yet another reason: "He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent Him." (John 5:23b NIV)

Wow! Remember that by sending His Son, God sent a part of Himself. And when we honor that part, Jesus, we are honoring God. By the same token, when we dishonor Jesus by not believing in Him, we also dishonor God!

But Jesus isn't through driving the point home: "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life..." (John 5:24)

So what should our response be to those who say they believe in God, but not in the divinity of Jesus? Jesus' teachings on this are clear: He Himself says He is the Son of God. If we do not believe what He teaches, we are dishonoring God!

Please join us next week, for At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 6: The Reward!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Looking for tips on how to witness to your non-Christian friends and family? Join us next Tuesday for Fishers of Men! Part 2: A Mini-Series by Brother Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 24 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 22, 2012
Read the Map By Answers2Prayer
We were well prepared for our journey. We started with a decision and a commitment and added travelling essentials like sunglasses and wallet, fuel in the tank, and made very sure we had a road map.

All went well, the unfamiliar road was good, traffic was moderate and we made good time. It was easy to look around and we noticed as we came up to a fork in the road how beautiful the scenery was on the road that curved to the right.

The left curve was less attractive, rather isolated looking and, as nearly all the traffic was going right, we made a logical decision to follow. We didn't even bother to consult the map, the choice was just so obvious and easy.

If we had any doubtful feelings, we didn't say anything, we just kept going. The avenue was broad, there were plenty of shops and lots of tea and coffee places.

What we had not noticed was that, almost without warning, the street changed into a one-way road with no turn-offs and we finally realised we had taken a wrong turn.

We pulled over to ask directions from passers-by to find the way back. As we asked, one turned his back on us, one ignored us completely and another verbally abused us. We were bewildered and, by now, not a little distraught.

Finally, a little old lady with a book under her arm saw our plight. "Perhaps I can help?" she offered gently. She took us to a coffee shop, ordered refreshments for us and sat down to look over our map. She compared our map with the one in her book and showed us how to find the turn that would eventually take us back to the curve where we had taken a wrong road.

Perhaps someone you love has taken a wrong road like Jacob did when he lied to his father; like King David did when he committed two terrible acts; like Peter did when he denied Jesus. Don't turn your back, don't ignore him, don't verbally abuse him. Be like the little old lady with the Book under her arm. Compare your map with hers because "if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently..." (Galatians 6:1).

Why? Because "God is love" and "...love is patient, love is kind..." (1 John 4:16 and 1 Corinthians 13:4). Love takes you back to the right road.

Elizabeth Price
Announcement:
Christmas is just a month away, and Christmas carols are already being sung from every department and grocery store. Can these Christmas carols speak to us of Jesus? Even the secular ones? Join us in December for Lessons From Christmas Carols, a pair of mini-series by Suresh Manoharan and Lyn Chaffart.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 21 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 20, 2012
Fishers of Men, Part 1 By Answers2Prayer

"If you do not evangelize, you fossilize!" said a wise Christian. How true even in medicinal terms too, if you do not use your muscles for long, they atrophy. In this mini-series of two parts on being Faithful Fishers of men, I would like the readership to understand what "Fishing for men" first of all entails. How can we be effective in any job, till we understand the job profile properly?

How's this for an incentive!!! People we win for the Lord would constitute our Crowns of rejoicing (I Thess 2:19)! While an ethereal visit to Heaven, a la Apostle Paul (2 Cor 12:1-4), may help us better understand this subject, at this stage, if the truth that evangelism is of two types-Mass and Personal- grips us, it would make us take our calling to be "Fishers of men" (Matt 4:19) not only seriously, but I reiterate with the wisdom of a surgeon who has a clear idea of what he is going to do in the operation theatre.

At the supernatural level, as directly relaying the Gospel to a sinner ethereally through a direct Divine-human "one-on-one" communication mode would deprive a sinner of taking the leap of faith, which is oh-so-necessary (Romans 10:8-10) in the matter of Salvation (believing/acting without seeing with a naked eye is faith -- Heb 11:1), the Master depends on His stewards who are "enjoying Him" to be carriers of the Gospel to the sin-infested World. Oh yes, only once in this age of human history, after the end of the Grace dispensation (during the second phase of 7-year terrible tribulation to be more precise), would an angel be used to convey the Eternal Gospel (Rev 14:6)!

On the subject of personal evangelism, which everyone can participate in unlike Mass evangelism, that requires anointed Apostles and Evangelist to undertake the work, it needs to be reiterated here "if Worship puts you on fire and Church Fellowship fuels the fire, then by personal evangelism one would pass on 'love for the Lord' fire to the unbelievers." Yes, it is this speaking with love and grace (1 Peter 3:15) about what the Lord has done in your personal life in the marketplace that would attract the unbelievers to Him, rather than evangelism done as a matter of duty. An insightful one-liner in this context sums it up aptly "Work done for the Lord with a worshipping heart is a delight, while the same done as a duty is a drag." It needs to be reiterated here that more than sharing the Gospel, we need to share passionately what the Gospel has done in our life. Hey, Jesus doesn't need advocates; He needs witnesses (Acts 1:8) of the abundant life He alone can give (John 10:10)!!!

When it comes to personal evangelism it would serve us well also to remember one cardinal truth. The truth is that since Gospel sharing on personal basis can be done broadly amongst only two "difficult" groups, nothing, absolutely nothing can ever be accomplished without His power. It needs no reiteration that if to us belongs the responsibility of sharing the Gospel (I Cor 15:1-4 defines the Gospel oh-so-lucidly) and then to the Holy Spirit belongs the role of touching the needy one's heart. The "needy" one is everyone living without the Savior. Oh, the biggest sin is not transgressing any of the ten commandments, but living life on one's own terms and keeping the creator of every cell and every drop of blood at arm's length! Talk of a tenant living as though the house is his, to the utter dismay of the Landlord (Psalm 24:1/Job 41:11)!

I would come to the two difficult groups we face during Personal evangelism and the dynamics of Mass evangelism in the next concluding part of the Series.

Prayer: Father, enable us to be always effective Fishers of men, who are a blessing to people around us besides always bringing you glory. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. We invite you to read previously-published devotionals from the Book of John by clicking here. Beginning next week, a new mini-series, based on Jesus' famous discourse after healing of the paralytic at the Pool of Bethesda, will be appearing in the Saturday editions of The Nugget. Please join us for Studies from the Book of John, Study 3: At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 18 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 17, 2012
At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity, Part 4: How to Know God's Will By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 3, we learned two things: The God never stops working, and whatever He is doing trumps whatever might be standing in the way! And secondly, we learned that just like Jesus never did anything by Himself, but only did what He saw the Father doing, we, too, should always be seeking God's Will instead of striking out on our own.

But just how can we know what that will is?

Jesus doesn't leave us in the dark:

"For the Father loves the Son and shows Him all He does..." (John 5:20a NIV)

And there you have it: Jesus' secret to knowing God's will! He knows God's will, because God reveals it to Him!

Pretty neat, isn't it?

But wait. How does that help us? I mean, Jesus is God! Of course God loves Him. Of course God will reveal His will to Him!

So do Jesus' next words shed any more light on the subject?

Let's look: "...and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel." (John 5:20 NKJV)

There you have it: The secret to the dilemma! God will continue to reveal things to Jesus so that we may marvel!

Uhh... Well, it is wonderful that God will continue to reveal things to Jesus so that we can all marvel, but it still doesn't tell me how I can know the will of God!

Perhaps a trip back into history will help us here. How did God speak to people before Jesus? "God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets..." (Heb 1:1-2 NKJV)

There is our answer, He spoke through the prophets. And we have proof of this throughout the Old Testament, with literally hundreds of prophecies, warnings and promises.

And that text goes on to say that God didn't STOP speaking to us: "...has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds..." (Heb 1:2-3 NKJV)

Wait a minute: Did you catch that? Because I almost missed it just now...

We know from John 5 that Jesus KNOWS the will of the Father because the Father reveals it to Him: "For the Father loves the Son and shows Him all He does..." (John 5:20a NIV), and this text in Heb. 1 states that God speaks to us "by His Son"!

Remember John 5:19? "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner." (John 5:19-20 NKJV)

The prophets of old, friends, did not know everything God was up to! They only knew what God revealed to them, but Jesus knows everything the Father is doing! And in our day, Jesus speaks to us "By His Son" who knows everything the Father is up to!

This relationship is even better than when God spoke to the prophets of the past, friends!

But this still doesn't help us know how we can know the will of God, does it?

Let's look at what Jesus says later in His ministry: "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you." (John 15:15-16 NKJV)

In other words, God loves Jesus enough to reveal everything to Him, and Jesus has called us His Friends, for everything that He knows from the Father, He has made known to us!

Now that is pretty neat, isn't it?

But how can we hear that voice that will make known to us the will of God?

The same way we can know what any of our human friends are trying to tell us: By spending time with Him! By getting to know Him! By working on a friendship relationship with Him!

That's the secret to knowing God's will, friends! Why not try it today? Do not wait, for spending time with you is the Father's #1 priority!

Please join us next week for the next lesson to learn from Jesus' discourse: At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 5: Jesus the Judge!

In His love,

Lyn

Announcement:
Welcome to all new Nugget subscribers! We hope and pray that you will find this newsletter a blessing to you and your families. May God bless each of you as you strive to draw closer to Him!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:51 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 15, 2012
A New Creation By Answers2Prayer
Scripture

"So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him." (Jer 18:3)

Observation

Here, Jeremiah is speaking forth the words of God concerning the nation of Judah, they had ruined themselves by seeking after other interests besides the Lord and they needed to be refashioned. Notice that when God reworks His people, they are seen as "good". This message is also a message for us today.

The Great Potter is the Lord. He fashions each of us like clay, which is moulded on a potter's turntable. We notice that the clay on the first time around is marred, it is not the potter who is at fault, it is the clay. The interesting thing is that the potter could have thrown the clay away and started again. However he was patient, and began work on a new creation using the same clay.

This reminds me of the work of God in my life. I was living a life for myself with no direction. I was that marred clay. In fact, we are all marred clay because of the effects of sin.

The Potter, graciously took my life and began a new creation. This reworking of my life is an on-going process, and at times, impurities in the clay work outwards. The thing is, the Great Potter has not given up on me. He continues to shape my life as seems best to Him. My role in that is to be flexible and malleable in the hands of the Potter. I know at times He looks on and sees the need of smoothing rough patches, and at other times, He sees something of the purpose that He has in mind for me showing through.

The invitation to be shaped into a new creation is open to all. We are but clay, atoms of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and so on. We can fulfill a purpose for our lives that has been planned by the Great Potter, or refuse to do so and be like marred clay. Choose what type of clay you will be today.

Application

I desire to be flexible in the hands of the potter, to allow Him to remove areas that are not pleasing to Him and to rework other areas in my life. I need to recognize that He is the potter and I am the clay. As I respond to His gentle touch and to His inner guidance, I know that I can be a new creation, fulfilling the purpose that He has planned for me before the foundation of the world.

Prayer

Lord, help me be shaped by You on a daily basis, to respond to You and be renewed each day. In Jesus name, amen.
David Goodwin
Announcement:
Looking for tips on how to witness to your non-Christian friends and family? Join us for the next two Tuesdays for Fishers of Men! A Mini-Series by Brother Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:27 am

Welcome to the Nugget November 13, 2012
A Little Closer To Heaven By Answers2Prayer

"And now abide faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor. 13:13)

It is a lovely Autumn day as I write this. An evening rain has led to a brisk morning. There is a freshness in the air too that makes my lungs expand with joy. The sun is up, slowly warming the world with its heat and light. On the trees the green leaves are rapidly changing to wondrous colors created by God's own hand. The yellows and golds are shining in the sunlight. The brilliant oranges are putting the pumpkins to shame. The bright reds are making the mountains ablaze with their beauty. The darker reds, burgundies and even browns are starting to appear as well. Just looking at them fills my heart with happiness. On glorious days like these it is easy to feel a little closer to Heaven.

It isn't just in the midst of Autumn's wonder that I feel closer to Heaven, though. I have felt closer to Heaven in the sweat of Summer's hottest days. I have felt closer to Heaven walking home during the heavy showers of Spring. I have even felt closer to Heaven during the shortest, coldest, and darkest days of Winter. No matter what the season or the weather, I have felt closer to Heaven every time I have chosen to love.

You see, it is love that is the color of our souls. It is love that is the warmth of our hearts. It is love that brings the light of God into us and shines the light of God out of us. It is love that we all are called to give to the world. When we choose to love everyday is a glorious day. When we share love everyday feels a little closer to Heaven.

As you journey through the seasons of your own life here I hope that you always make love your traveling companion. I hope that each step you take together brings you closer to Heaven. I hope that you inspire other souls to join you as well until the day your travels bring you home again into your Heavenly Father's loving arms.

Joseph Mazzella
Announcement:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. We invite you to read previously-published devotionals from the Book of John by clicking here. Please join us on Saturdays until December for the new study from the Book of John: At the Pool of Bethesday. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 11 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 10, 2012
At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity, Part 3: Of Priority and Control By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 2, we learned that when we are the recipient of a miracle, we need to let it change our lives permanently for the good. We need to give Him the thanks and the praise, to proclaim His power to others, and to never forget that it happened, that there is a powerful God who loves and cares for us, and that this miracle was given to us to teach us powerful lessons that we must never forget.

We pick up the story just after Jesus has revealed Himself once again to the paralytic. We know that when this man asked who had healed him, he had honestly stated that he didn't know. But now he does know, and what does he do?

He goes directly to the teachers of the day and tells them what they wanted to hear: "it was Jesus who had made him well." (John 5:15 NIV)

Why would he have done such a thing? Surely he understood from the criticism he had already received about carrying his bed on the Sabbath, that these teachers of the law did not care about him as a person, but only cared about upholding their precious laws!

The Bible doesn't tell us why he "turned Jesus in", so to speak. It may have been in innocent sharing of his joy, or it may have been done out of fear of being thrown out of the synagogue. But whatever the reason, Jesus was now in trouble: "So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews persecuted him." (John 5:16 NIV)

Their reaction didn't faze Jesus, however: "My Father is always at His work to this very day, and I, too, am working." (John 5:17 NIV)

Naturally, Jesus' reference to God being His "Father" angered the Jewish leaders. The Bible records that the Jews tried to kill him, not only for breaking the Sabbath, but for "calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God." (John 5:18b NIV)

This, friends, is the setting for Jesus' famous discourse, one that is so packed with valuable Truth, one designed to help us understand the relationship Jesus has with the Father and to bring us to a new level of comprehension about the trinity, the plurality of God.

And so packed with Truth for us today!

And what is the first lesson for us today?

"Jesus gave them this answer: 'I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by Himself; He can do only what He sees His Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.'" (John 5:19 NIV)

I would invite you to read these words through a couple of times, friends. They are powerful words. Let them sink in to your spirit: "...the Son can do nothing by Himself...He can do only what He sees His Father doing...Whatever the Father does the Son also does."

This is one of the most important statements we have in understanding the relationship between God and Jesus: Jesus doesn't do anything by Himself. He works as One with the Father, whatever One does, the Other does also! God and Jesus are One, two of the parts that make up the whole. They work together in all things, and Jesus never works outside of God's plan!

So what lessons does this teach us today, friends?

1. First of all, God is always at His Work, and we, too, are to join Him. Whatever God is doing, whenever He is doing it, trumps everything else!

2. And secondly, how often don't we try to do things on our own? We have a "great" idea, and we pursue it. "It's got to be a good idea," we reason with ourselves, "It will bring glory to God's kingdom!" But we never stop to ask God if it is His idea! When we strike out like this, friends, we are not following Jesus' example! Jesus can do "nothing by Himself...He can do only what He sees His Father doing..."

In other words, if it isn't God's will, Jesus doesn't waste any time on it, and neither should we. We may have great ideas, but if they aren't "God Ideas", they are a total waste of time.

Let's follow Jesus' example, friends. Let's stay in tune with the Father, let's be open to seeing where He is at work, and let's let His priorities become our own. Let's be ready, not to lead, but to follow in His steps, for if Jesus, who was 100% God, relinquished 100% control of His actions to the Father, then should we, 100% human, do any less?

Think about it!

But wait. How can we know the will of the Father? I mean, Jesus was, after all, 100% God, and by His own admission, He and the Father are "One". How can we, mere humans, know God's will?

Jesus doesn't leave us in the dark, friends. Join us next week for At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 4: How to Know the Will of God.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
How is your relationship with God? Does it need a boost? Would you like to experience Him more fully in your life? Why not boost it with a series of studies on the Song of Solomon? Just follow this link!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:26 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 8, 2012
Pouring Out By Answers2Prayer

"God...can...pour out showers of blessing to refresh you." (Acts 3:19)

"It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring...", a children's rhyme. Well, rain it did last night; in fact the heavens opened and it absolutely poured.

Moisture must have literally gushed from thick, charcoal-colored clouds. The rainfall only added to the already full, swift current in the river behind us. This morning the river wasn't just gurgling and bubbling along; it was moving steadily and forcefully. I could hear the roar of the waters before I was looking at it.

Cradling my first cup of coffee, I took a seat by the corner window and sat, mesmerized. It was so awesome to watch the water rushing downstream, pounding boulders and rocks in its way, with only the sodden banks on either side to contain it.

It made me think of when there was a great pouring out, back in an upstairs room, when the Holy Spirit flowed powerfully one morning, to people gathered together to pray (See Acts 2). There was no containing the outpouring on that Pentecost Day!

One of the many promises that God gives us in His Word is in the book of Joel, and again in Acts, where He says, "I will pour out my Spirit on all people." (Joel 2:28 , Acts 2:17).

In this same book of Acts, the Lord speaks of His pouring out refreshing blessings when we turn back to Him: "Now it's time to change your ways! Turn to face God so he can wipe away your sins, pour out showers of blessing to refresh you." (Acts 3:19). In the last book of the Old Testament, He talks of pouring out abundant blessings we won't even be able to contain:
"'Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.'" (Malachi 3: 10)

Not holding back, pouring. Pouring out. Isn't that our extravagant, wonderful, heavenly Father? Lord, thank You for Your awesome Holy Spirit, and thank You that You are today willing to pour out Your Spirit on us, Your sons and daughters who believe and are called by Your name. Amen!

That is very good news.

Inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy
Sally I. Kennedy

Announcement:
Join us Saturday for Part 3 of At The Pool of Bethesda: Lessons on Jesus' Divinity!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 07 Nov 2012, 9:33 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 6, 2012
Of Elect and Select, Part 3 By Answers2Prayer

Today in the concluding part of my series on the acronym E.L.E.C.T during this "Election fever" time, I come to yet another two paramount issues of the Christian life...

C- Canvassing

Heard of an election in a democracy with no canvassing? Hey Christ's Party member, when did you last "canvass for your party" (read did evangelism)? Before we go any further, let's apply the interrogative, "Why at all should we canvass for the cause of Christ?" Is to merely increase the Christian population and enjoy the privileges which go along with one being part of a majority community? No, not at all! We who have experienced His power (in saving us from sin) and His joy ought not to keep this Good news that He can do likewise in everyone's life to ourselves (See Acts 4:20)!!! Talk of hitherto poor, unemployed citizens of a Nation now made rich by the novel employment Governmental schemes acclaiming from rooftops, the wondrous change a New Government in power has wrought in their lives...Are we going to fault these folks? Didn't somebody say that grace is actually God's Riches (poured into the lives of poor languishing ones) At Christ's Expense (2 Cor 8:9)?

On evangelism, while mass evangelism (organizing huge public meetings) may be one way to canvass (sole preserve of the gifted souls from whom the Lord expects a lot -- See Luke 12:48) for the cause of Christ, personal evangelism (simply sharing with love what Christ means to you with others after developing a rapport with them -- See 1 Cor 9:22-23) is an universally acclaimed way of sharing the Gospel, effectively.

I repeat the question... "when did you last canvass for the cause of Christ?" Hey our Lord's "last" Commission (see Matt 28:18-20) ought to become our "first" priority...

T- Triumph

Who would win the Presidential Elections? Even while Pollsters are making all predictions, there is no doubt as far as the "spiritual Election realm" is concerned. Now consider this Scripture portion, which applies to every Christian equipped with Christ's power wrestling with the dark forces "...overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us." (Romans 8:37) The key operative word being overwhelming!

Never depend on your fallible strength to secure a victory over sin, that is a recipe for certain failure (remember an overconfident Peter denying Christ -- See Matt 26:31-33/69-75) but depend on Christ (See Zech 4:6). When it comes to scoring an emphatic victory over sin, the issue is not whether you are trying or not. Rather, the main issue is are you trying on your own to do the same, or are you also resting in the Savior's power? When you are prayerfully relying on the power of Christ, mark my words...you will not only secure victory over sin (Stage 1 of Christian life) but you would also be greatly used by the Master in His service thence (Stage 2 of Christian life-Ministry). What about your opponents (Eph 6:10-17), even as you are winning souls for the Lord? Well, take my word they would "lose their deposit" in a crushing defeat... (Romans 16:20)!!!

Prayer: Father, even as we are depending upon Thy power, enable us to scale greater heights in our spiritual flight and fight. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
Did you know there are hundreds of lessons to be learned through nature? To learn how pets have been able to teach their masters about God, click here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:15 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 3, 2012
At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity, Part 2: When You Receive a Miracle ... By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 1, we learned from the paralytic that we all live in a crippled state, we are all in need of healing. We learned that like the paralytic, we need to be aware of this fact, and we need to seek that healing in the living waters of Jesus, for He has promised to carry all of our burdens.

Today's devotional begins immediately after this miracle. We are told that the paralytic had no idea who had healed him, for "Jesus had slipped away into the crowd that was there." (John 5:13 NIV). But the lesson for today lies in the next verse: "Afterward Jesus found him in the temple..." (John 5:14 NKJV)

Isn't it interesting that though the man didn't recognize Jesus as the Son of God, he did recognize that he had been the recipient of a miracle from God. He knew God's touch, and he went directly to the temple to give thanksgiving and prayer!

So many times we are the recipients of one miracle or another, but we just chalk it up to, "coincidence", or worse, we don't realize we've received an answer to prayer. Far better to follow the example of the paralytic and turn every miracle back into praise!

And what happens when we do so? Let's take a look: "Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him ..." (John 5:14 NKJV)

The paralytic is standing in the temple praising God for the miracle, and suddenly Jesus appears, in person, in front of him! That's what happens, friends! When we give thanks to God, Jesus appears to us!

But just what was it that Jesus said to him? "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse will happen to you." (John 5:14 NIV)

Isn't that a strange thing to say to a man who has just been healed? Especially in Jesus' day, when the common belief was that disease and deformity were direct results of either your own sin, or the sin of your parents (See John 9:2)! Why would Jesus say such a thing to this man?

Because Jesus does not see a mere infirmity as the worst thing that can happen to us! Far worse in Jesus' eyes is the direct result of our sin: The fires of hell!

Jesus is well aware of the human tendency to not fully recognize or appreciate miracles of God. He has so often seen that those He has healed have simply returned to their former lives of sin, as if God's hand had never touched them. And His words to the paralytic are spoken loud and clear for each one of us today: Your healing (be it physical, mental or spiritual!) is a direct result of God's intervention on your behalf! Do not go on through life as if it had never happened! Your healing was meant to be a life-changing experience for you! See it as such! Let's never stop giving thanks to God for each and every miracle!

Let's never forget this lessons, friends! When we are the recipient of a miracle, let's proclaim it to the world! Let's tell the world the name of the One who gave it to us! And let's never stop giving thanks to God!

Join us next week for At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 3: Of Priorities and Control ...

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.

Announcement:
Questions about how God speaks to us in today's world? Check out God Speaks!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm

Welcome to the Nugget November 1, 2012
Chopping Wood By Answers2Prayer

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Pr 27:17)

Observation

Iron is sharpened for a reason, usually for an implement that does work. Implements such as knives and axes achieve determined tasks, it may be to cut up wood for keeping a fire going or chopping up vegetables for a meal.

Blunt implements are both frustrating and annoying, they do not perform to their expectations and are a nuisance. However, these implements when kept sharp are a blessing, they can even be life saving in some circumstances. Sharp implements achieve the goal for which they are designed, they are pleasing in the hand of their owner. This is what God would have us be, "sharp" for Him, onto it people, who are accomplishing our purpose, given before we were born.

To be sharp we need to sharpen each other, to practise the word of God on each other, speaking the truth in love, challenging each other with the word of God. The bible is like a sharpening fluid applied between the two pieces of iron. When we are looking blunt and our edge has gone we have the responsibility to be sharpened, we also have the responsibility to sharpen others.

Application

I need to ensure that both I and others are sharp before the Lord, that I am doing what I am designed to do and accomplishing much for the Kingdom of God. The bible is an important part of the fluid that helps me keep sharp and I need to dwell in it everyday.

Prayer

Lord, please help me be sharp for You, in Jesus name, amen.
David Goodwin

Announcement:
ld you like to make a difference in the world? Why not join the Answers2Prayer Ministry team? We have many volunteer positions. By joining in, you can help in carrying out the Great Commission: "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in Heaven and on Earth have been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" (Matt. 28:18-20 NIV)

The time is right and we are in need of many laborers. "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matt 9:37-38 NIV)

If you feel compelled, let us know by sending us an email.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 12:32 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 30, 2012
Of Elect and Select, Part 2 By Answers2Prayer
Continuing with my series on the acronym E.L.E.C.T during this "Election fever" time, in the second part of this 3-Part series, today I come to yet another two important issues of Christian life...

L-Loyalty

After a terrific experience of enjoying the Heavenly joys on accepting Christ, if someone (God-forbid) wants to defect back to Satan's party, then the "divine Anti-defection law" would be invoked and a terrible punishment would be round the corner (Heb 10:26-31/2 Peter 2:20-21)! Remember, what happened to the Redeemed Jews (from Egyptian slavery) who wanted to return back (how tragic) to the very place of their bondage, from which they had sought deliverance (Heb 3:15-19)? On the other hand, the Lord wants us to give "every area" of our lives into His hands (including the TV Programs we watch). Hey, Christ comes into our life not to be a mere resident, but to be a President! Going back to Old Testament Times, remember our unchanging God (Heb 13:8) gave the law (613 of Divine rules covering every area of Jewish life, including the maintenance of their Toilet facilities -- See Deut. 23:12-13) to our Old Testament counterparts only after their "Salvation" experience from Egyptian bondage and not before it. Simply put, He saves us not because we are holy, but to make us completely holy (Read, "totally dedicated to Him!")
No questions please on the total loyalty (Matt 10:37-39) Christ expects!!! I fully agree with what one Biblical Scholar remarked, "One is ready to live for Christ, only when one is ready to die for Him." If we indulge in "cross voting" (something like a Democrat party member voting for a Republican and vice versa) in the spiritual realm, there would be nothing to look forward to except
"expulsion from the party" and severe whipping (Heb 10:26-27)!

E- Easy to understand Party symbol

Just as the Party's manifesto has to adhere to Kiss principle, it's logo too has to be kept simple for people to understand, otherwise it can kiss its chances of getting elected goodbye. The Republican Party has easy to identify party symbol, an Elephant, and the Democrat party has a kicking donkey.

Any doubt on Christ's party symbol? Cross on which the peerless Leader laid down His life atoning for World's sins, ladies and gentlemen.

The Cross of Christ was in the middle of two crosses not only on the Good Friday (enemies of Christ wanted to insult Him all the more, by assigning the middle cross to Him, for on the middle cross was traditionally crucified the biggest criminal, whenever three people were crucified together) but in the middle of two groups of people throughout History from the First Good Friday onwards. If in the middle cross was the Saviour dying for the sins of the World, the cross of the unrepentant thief has all along represented that group of people who preferred to die in their sins, while the cross of the penitent thief has throughout history symbolized humble souls who are willing to die to their sins by accepting the Saviour (Luke 23:32-43). You see the "Party symbol" is very easy to understand. Having accepted Christ, can we testify like Apostle Paul did "As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world's interest in me has also died." (Gal. 6:14 NLT)

The Cross since last 2000 years has been calling everyone at crossroads of life for deliverance from the weight of worries caused by unconfessed sins (Matt 11:28). Why delay, go affix your voting seal on the Cross!

Prayer: Father, at the cross I surrender all my selfish interests and look unto Thee to give me lasting joy and satisfaction at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
The world braces for upcoming US elections. Will the Americans elect? Or re-elect? But perhaps the most important question is this: Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Join us next Tuesday for the final edition: Of Elect and Select, Part 3, a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:38 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 27, 2012
At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity, Part 1: The Setting By Answers2Prayer
The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. This next study takes us to John, Chapter 5, to the pool of Bethesda, to a miracle that Jesus performed for a man who had been an invalid for thirty-eight years (See John 5).

But first, let's look at the setting behind this famous discourse:

1. We know very little about the recipient of this miracle. We only know that:

a. He was disabled ("Here a great number of disabled people used to lie -- the blind, the lame, the paralyzed. One who was there . . ." John 5:4,5a), and he was very likely lame ("'Sir,' the invalid replied, 'I have no one to help me into the pool . . .'" John 5:7)
b. He had been an invalid for thirty-eight years (". . . he been an invalid for thirty-eight years." John 5:5b)
c. He was alone ("'Sir,' the invalid replied, 'I have no one to help me into the pool . . .'" John 5:7)
d. He had never before heard of Jesus ("The man who was healed had no idea who it was . . ." John 5:13)
e. He was obedient ("At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked." John 5:9)

2. We are told that this miracle happened at the Pool of Bethesda: "Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches. In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had." (John 5:2-4 NKJV)

Archeology sheds a bit of additional light on this famous pool. It was, apparently, a familiar locale among the Jews of Jerusalem, for it was mentioned in Quran's Copper Scroll as the "place of poured out water". It is believed to have been located to the North of the temple mount, near what are now the ruins of the basilica of Saint Anne, and it was actually two pools surrounded by four porticos, with a fifth portico situated between them. Hence, "... surrounded by five covered colonnades." Archaeological remains tell us that healing at this pool was also sought by the Romans after taking over Jerusalem in A.D. 135, thus attesting to the healing properties mentioned by John.*

3. Finally, we must note that this miracle occurred on the Sabbath day: "The day on which this took place was a Sabbath . . ." (John 5:9b), and we know that the Jews were not too pleased about this man "working" on the Sabbath: "and so the Jews said to the man who had been healed, 'It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.'" (John 5:10)

Although this information is interesting and helps us to better understand the miracle itself, how is this setting important for us, today?

Just this, friends.

1. In order to receive what Jesus would teach us at the Pool of Bethesda, we, like the paralytic, need to realize that we are crippled! We have lost the spiritual plane that was available to us prior to the fall of mankind! We've been this way for all of our lives, and for most of us, it has become so "normal" to be without this spiritual plane that we no longer even believe it exists (See Lessons From the Book of John, Study #1: Jesus and Nicodemus. Like the paralytic, we must realize first that there is a better way, a way out, and just like him, we must abandon all other pursuits until we find it.

2. Some of the people at the pool had loved ones close by to help them get into the water when it stirred, and some of us also have those who can help us find the way back to true life. But the fact that some don't is no excuse. Remember the paralytic had been at the pool for 38 years!

3. Like the paralytic, when Jesus comes knocking on our door, we need to be open to His healing touch.

4. Just like the paralytic knew there was healing in the waters of the pool of Bethesda, we, too, have healing in the "living water" that comes from Jesus! (See Lessons From the Book of John, Study #2: The Woman at the Well)

5. And finally, there is a lesson to be learned from the fact that this miracle happened on the Sabbath. Let's remember that Jesus is our Sabbath rest (See Heb. 4:1-10). No matter what predicament we find ourselves in, Jesus is the answer! He invites us to cast ". . . all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7 NKJV). Didn't He say, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matt 11:28-29 NKJV)?

But aren't God's miracles something that happens often? So often in fact, that we often don't realize they are miracles of God? Join us next Saturday for At the Pool of Bethesda, Part 2: When you Receive a Miracle ...

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.

* Taken from commentary given in The Archaeological Study Bible, New International Version, Copywright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, pages 1728, 1729.

Announcement:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. We invite you to read previously-published devotionals from the Book of John by clicking here. A new mini-series, based on Jesus' famous discourse after healing of the paralytic at the Pool of Bethesda, is currently appearing in the Saturday editions of The Nugget. Please join us for Studies from the Book of John, Study 3: At the Pool of Bethesda. Lessons on Jesus' Divinity!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 27 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 25, 2012
Join the Slave Queue By Answers2Prayer

The statement was made that we each choose how we will react to any given situation. We cannot control how others treat us but we do control how we react.

It seemed logical but as I thought about it, doubts began to come to mind. I remembered an occasion among people I trusted when I had been "stabbed in the back" as we say. Outwardly I controlled my reaction, because it was good manners to do so.

But no logic dictated how I reacted internally. I could not control my internal reaction, I was utterly crushed, my sense of loyalty and integrity was outraged. The things I valued had been violated, and my inward turmoil was a reaction to an assault on deeply held beliefs.

I was not controlled by some mechanism of choice or logic, I was controlled by my beliefs.

Which raises the question, just what freedom do we really have? Where do our controlling beliefs come from? Whose beliefs are they? And what is "the truth that sets us free"?

Paul is adamant that we have no freedom. Shockingly, he said we are all slaves. Did you know that? We were slaves to sin, he said, but we have been set free from that slavery. It sounds good but then he wrecks it by saying we are still slaves. The only difference is that now, he said, we are "slaves to God." (Romans 6:20-22.

Jesus put it another way and went even further. He said the choice is limited to just one of two slave owners. We have one of two fathers, God or the devil (See John 8:42-44). So my controlling beliefs come from either God or the devil because I am a slave to the one I obey. (See Romans 6:16)

Joshua gives us the good news that we get to choose which one controls us. He said "...choose for yourselves whom you will serve ... as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15).

Will you join the slave queue with me now that you have free choice of Slave Master?

Elizabeth Price

Announcement:
Curious about the meanings of gates in the Bible? Check out the Gates in the Bible series published through the Nugget.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:10 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 23, 2012
Of Elect and Select, Part 1 By Answers2Prayer

Hey, the Election Fever is in the air. The International media in recent times has been abuzz with US Presidential Election News. The campaign speeches and moves of the Presidential candidates is analysed by every News channel, even as the Candidates are presenting to the public their panacea to everything that ails the US economy. Add to all these some stimulating Presidential debates and the picture of a juicy and spicy Electioneering campaign is complete.

Nothing quite like our Master's way of connecting to His audience by using relevant topics...Didn't He:

a) Speak about the Living waters with the Samaritan lady beside a well,
b) Call the would-be World shakers beside the Galilean sea as "Fishers of men"
c) Give a call to repentance using the hot "media" topics of his days (Luke 13:1-5)

Toeing the Master's line, Yours truly felt inspired to select Christ's ministry related topics for meditation in this three part series which would revolve around a recent hot topic E.L.E.C.T (Acronym please), with Electioneering lingo thrown in for good measure. So here goes...

E - Easy to understand manifesto

Heard of a party with complicated manifesto designed to confuse people's mind? No, the name of the game is K.I.S.S...Keep It Simple Silly! The Poll plank has to be sometimes as simple as "Read my lips, no new taxes". Well, Christ's "party" manifesto even as He launched the campaign "Save Souls" was as simple as it comes "Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand" (Matt 4:17), reinforced by the Apostle Peter on the day the Church was born (Acts 2:38).

The question which would follow on hearing the word "Repent" is who should "repent"? Let the Scripture itself give the answer: "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins." (Acts 2:38). Really everyone, including the respected ones of the society with no police record? Even the Presidents and Prime Ministers? Yes, for the Scripture says "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." (Romans 3:23). In connection with the fallen Adamic nature, all of us have inherited; I heard an insightful, humorous which goes thus...

There was bright student in school, who had a problem pronouncing the word "Electricity", for it would roll out of his mouth as "ElectriKITTY". Now his sympathetic, empathetic class teacher with an intention to help, wanted matters to be set right with proper training at his ward's home itself. So the teacher went to his pupil's home and explained the issue to the composed, well-educated, highly-placed (in society) dad, who after a patient hearing sighed: "You see that is not my son's fault, it is beyond his capaKITTY to pronounce the word electriKITTY properly." Just as the teacher was recoiling from a shock, in walked the erudite grandfather who had overheard the conversation from a nearby room "Sir," the grey gent pleaded "Please do not make publiKITTY, about this problem running in our family for generations." We smile. Are only speech "impairments" inherited from our parents? Is not the deep down sin problem also "transmitted" which all began in the Garden of Eden, when our first parents sank their teeth into the forbidden? No wonder the Scripture says "The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" Was not the Saviour sent specifically for performing the much-needed "heart transplantation" operation (Ezekiel 36:26)?

The phrase "Kingdom of God", which is oh-so-near, reaffirms not only the proximity of salvation (read Eternal life -- See Romans 10:8-10), but also that of abundant life (John 10:10) which the Saviour guarantees whereby with the Holy Spirit indwelling us (Gal 5:22-23), we can experience in full measure the joys of Heaven right here on Earth. Hey, not a sneak peek into what Heaven would be but actually scaling the peak of ethereal joys, which cannot be adequately described in words but has to be experienced personally to be believed! Have you "voted" (read accepted His manifesto) for Christ's party? Have you parted ways with self-power (number one enemy which prevents a sinner from coming under Redemptive Grace) in trying to score over sin? If so, it would be Party Time in Heaven (Luke 15:7/ 24)!!!

Prayer: Father, even as I am enjoying my walk with you, give me the needed strength to always remain loyal to you. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
The world braces for upcoming US elections. Will the Americans elect? Or re-elect? But perhaps the most important question is this: Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Join us on Tuesdays until Election Day for "Of Elect and Select", a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:22 pm

Welcome to the Nugget October 18, 2012
All Things Revealed in Time By Answers2Prayer

I once had a black and white picture of some rocks covered in patches of snow with a caption challenging the viewer to look beyond the obvious to see what the hidden picture. If you look long enough, with the objective to see the mystery revealed, something amazing will come into view. Sometimes God's purpose in things He allows in our lives is like that picture; all we can see is a mess.

My Mom passed away of colon cancer in 2001 when my youngest daughter was only six, depriving her of that special relationship of a doting grandma, the only grandma she really had. Since that time, some others have stepped in to fill some of that void, but no one can completely take her place -- for either of us.

This morning when I awoke, I began to talk to God about how I wish my Mom could see her now to be here to be a part of this new phase of my daughters life, to see her move from childhood into adulthood as she prepares to go off to college. And suddenly there it was, as I began to thank Him for leading all of us to the Cross, to our salvation, to the knowledge of eternity and the end of death and sorrow and goodbyes, the picture came sharply into view. I saw it all as clearly as He must have seen in from the beginning -- how the sorrow, and the suffering and the trial of cancer would bring her to Him and how we would follow. I remembered how He sent angels to encourage and comfort us and how He grew our faith with signs and wonders, things beyond coincidence, painting the canvas of yet another masterpiece that has now come into view.

Oh, about the picture of rocks and snow -- in it is the face of our dear savior, Jesus, and the person that gave me the picture in the first place was my dear Mom.

"For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face." (1 Cor. 13:12 NKJV)

Yours in Christ,
Sonya Richards

Announcement:
Just a reminder that we accept poems of Christian content for publication on the the Scriptural Nuggets website. If you hae a poem that you would like to see published on the Scriptural Nuggets website, please submit it here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next