World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 26 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 25 Guests

Admin

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 10:12 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 10:08 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 8:57 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 8:56 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 8:52 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 8:42 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 8:19 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 6:59 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyToday at 6:52 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 11:39 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 11:35 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 10:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 10:37 pm by Admin

» The Holocaust and Faith
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 10:26 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 9:52 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 9:35 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyYesterday at 7:01 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptySun 05 May 2024, 10:07 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptySun 05 May 2024, 9:38 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
NUGGET Today's Devotional EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 11:13 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Yesterday at 11:35 pm

Confessions of a Sinner and His Bi-Fold Door
By: Paul Smyth
-----------------------------------------------
May 8, 2024

I realize that we have never met and likely never will this side of heaven, but I feel the need to be openly transparent with you. So, here goes. Just because I write devotionals about faith in Jesus Christ, doesn’t mean that I’ve got all my spiritual ducks in a tight little row. Truth is, there are days when I feel like God should simply wash His hands of me and deliver my pink slip via heaven’s FedEx branch. Now that I’ve come clean, I pray that you won’t think less of me and will continue to read.

I do take comfort in knowing that I’m not alone in my transgressions, that even though I fail miserably at times in my walk with God, mankind has been steeped in sin since day one. How do I know this?

“For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.” (Romans 3:23 NLT)

The other day for example, I was trying to remount a wooden bi-fold in my basement. This door is old and rickety, but it does the trick. The problem is that when I had some carpet re-installed, the door would no longer fully open after I laboriously set it back in place. Yes, my blood pressure was rising at that point. Off came the door. I adjusted the track and hardware top and bottom and then attempted to affix the door back into its upper track.

That’s when the door let go at the top. CRACK! When I glanced up, the top frame had split apart and several horizontal wood slats had slipped out. Frustrated and in no mood for battle, I managed to pull the door away and lay it down. I spent an hour trying to fit the slats back into place and glue the frame back together.

What’s so bad about that you might ask? Well, in my haste and growing fury over a bi-fold door with a mind of its own, my anger boiled up and my tongue unleashed a rash of expletives that I wasn’t in any way proud of. See, I told you I was a sinner.

“And so blessings and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth.” (James 3:10 NLT)

I stopped what I was doing and immediately asked for God’s forgiveness. I’ve been a Christian all my life, and yet I’m still prone to blowing it. The devil loves nothing more than when we mess up or when our faith lags, or we become angry when prayers go unanswered in a timely way. But, did you know that salvation is still possible despite the consequences of our sin—that God is quick to not only forgive, but He will also forget?

“He has removed our sins from us as far as the east is from the west.” (Psalms 103:12 NLT)

Thankfully, Jesus is loving and slow to anger, a win-win when we get it wrong. It’s immensely comforting to know that the stain of my sin is redeemed by the blood of Jesus while I continue my quest to become a better person and live the life that God has planned for me. Like death and taxes, sin is an absolute guarantee in our lives, but blessedly so are these two glorious bible verses…

“For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23 NLT)

“I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13 NLT)

My bi-fold door is still a thorn in my flesh as I write these words, but it’s comforting to know that despite the number of times we bark up the wrong tree on our faith journey, the hope for a brighter tomorrow is God’s unwavering truth for you and for me.

All we need to do is trust in Jesus and let Him do the rest!

Paul Smyth

Announcements
Whatever it is you've done ... God forgives the repentant heart! That's the GOOD news!

Subscribe Other Devotionals Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 03 May 2024, 5:18 pm

Spring Run-off
By: Alice Burnett
May 2, 2024

When the snow finally melts in our province of Alberta, the water from the tap in the city of Red Deer starts to taste terrible. It's brown and turbid from mud and silt stirred up by the now faster-flowing Red Deer River intersecting our city. Added to the mud and silt is dead and decaying plant matter like the previous year's leaves and grasses. This state of affairs could last from three to six weeks, depending on the amount of snow we've had during the winter.

During Spring run-off our water goes through two treatment processes as it comes out of the river. As well as the usual chlorine, potassium permanganate and powdered activated charcoal are added to absorb some of the impurities, and to control taste and odour. We're told the water is safe to drink; it's just not what we like to drink.

The people of Israel, however, could not drink the water they found as they travelled in the desert.

After their amazing deliverance at the Red Sea, Moses led the people of Israel into the wilderness area beyond, into the desert of Shur. They found no water, and when they reached the oasis of Marah (meaning bitter) three days later, the people complained that the water there was too bitter to drink. In contrast to the people's grumbling, Moses inquired of the Lord, and God provided the solution. Moses threw the piece of wood God showed him into the water, and like the substances added to our drinking water, the bitter water became good to drink.

God could have provided water along the way, but He deliberately led them to Marah to teach the people further about Himself. Not only was the water there too bitter for the Israelites to drink, but their attitude towards their predicament was bitter. By grumbling and complaining against their leader, they revealed their resentment that their needs were not being met. They quickly forgot that God had delivered them in the not-so-distant past.

God put them to the test. “ He said, 'If you will listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his sight, obeying his commands and keeping all his decrees, then I will not make you suffer any of the diseases I sent on the Egyptians; for I am the Lord who heals you.'” (Exodus 15:26b NLT) To be healthy, all the people had to do was to obey the commands and decrees laid out for their welfare.

The Israelites encountered God in a new way at the oasis of Marah – Yaweh Rophe -- “the Lord who heals”. They learned that they needed to look to God only, and when they trusted Him, He would heal them, just as He healed the bitter waters.

In our world, the water doesn't always taste good, and we have difficulties, especially after a triumph, but it is in the difficulties that God reveals Himself. Let's not cry out in despair, “What are we going to drink?” (Exodus 15:24 NLT) Let's trust the Lord, who healed the waters at Marah, and can certainly heal every situation when we turn to Him.

Alice Burnett
Red Deer, Alberta

Announcements
Will you trust God with your troubles today?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 30 Apr 2024, 11:19 pm

Awfulizing
By: Kenn Stright
---------------------------------------
April 30, 2024

"Your life shall hang in doubt before you. Night and day you shall be in dread and have no assurance of your life. In the morning you shall say, 'If only it were evening!' and at evening you shall say, 'If only it were morning!' because of the dread that your heart shall feel, and the sights that your eyes shall see." (Deuteronomy 28:66-67 ESV)

I have an acquaintance who wakes up each and every day of her life with the absolute conviction that life is just awful and will never get any better. While trying to find help for her to cope with this anxiety, I found that this condition actually has a name — awfulizing — defined as imagining a situation to be as bad as it can possibly be. I also learned that this morning dread is associated with an elevated level of the hormone cortisol (often called the "stress hormone").

The Bible is no stranger to those suffering anxiety and dread, as reflected in today's passage from Deuteronomy. Assuming the worst is rarely helpful. People who study this refer to three contributing elements:

1. Insecurity — something bad is going to happen.
2. Helplessness — there is nothing that I can do.
3. Isolation — there is no one to help me.

Those of us who follow the way of Jesus should help people who find the days and nights filled with dread and anxiety and despair. We can challenge such persons to focus on what they can control. We can invite them to keep a journal and write down what they might be grateful for. We can encourage them to list at least three things that they are looking forward to. We can remind them of the Scripture which says, "I want you to be free from anxieties." (1 Corinthians 7:32a ESV)

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13 ESV)

Prayer: God, help us to cast all our anxieties on You. We know that You care for us, but sometimes, we forget. Thank You that You have told us, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." (John 14:27 ESV) Amen.

Copyright © 2023, by Kenn Stright , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca
West Petpeswick, Nova Scotia, Canada

Used with the permission of PresbyCan and author.

Announcements
No matter how bad things look, God is still pouring out His blessings upon you! Ask Him to show you where He is at work in your life! You won't be sorry!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 27 Apr 2024, 9:12 pm

A Humble Spirit: Teacher Joseph, Part 2
By: Lyn Chaffart
April 27, 2024

“Meanwhile, the Midianites sold Joseph in Egypt to Potiphar, one of Pharaoh’s officials, the captain of the guard.” (Genesis 37:36 NIV)

Poor Joseph. In just a matter of days, he went from being a favoured son to being a slave who can thank God that he is even still alive. No more coats of many colours for Joseph now. No more daddy to run to every time something went wrong. No more tattling when someone did something to him. There was no loving father here in Egypt, no one who favoured him simply for who he was. No, here in Egypt he would have to earn any favour that he might receive.

We aren’t told much about Joseph’s character in the early part of his story; however the things we are told – Things like him tattling on his brothers, etc. – would leave us to believe that maybe he was a little bit spoiled; that maybe he was just a little bit proud.

We know from scripture that God cannot use a prideful heart, for: “a man’s pride will bring him low…” (Proverbs 29:23a NKJV); and “Therefore He says: ‘God resists the proud...’” (James 4:6a NKJV).

The humble in spirit, however, God can use: “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time…” (1 Peter 5:6 NKJV); “…But the humble in spirit will retain honor.”(Proverbs 29:23b NKJV); and “…But [God] gives grace to the humble…” (James 4:6b NKJV).

God had a plan for His people. He had a plan that involved Joseph in Egypt. But why did Joseph have to go to Egypt as a slave? Could it be that his pride might have gotten in the way of God being able to use him to save the Children of Israel? Could it be that Joseph needed the humility that would be a natural part of falling from riches to slavery?

This is, of course, pure speculation, for the Bible doesn’t tell us. What we do know is that the next mention of Joseph in Genesis is to say that Potiphar, “…made him overseer of his house, and all that he had he put under his authority.” (Genesis 39:4 NKJV)

What I find very interesting is the “why” Joseph did so well in Egypt. The reason is recorded in Genesis 39:2: “The Lord was with Joseph, and he was a successful man…” (NKJV) Joseph didn’t rise up in power in Potiphar’s home of his own power, but because of the Lord. And this was so evident that even the pagan Potiphar saw it: “And his master saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord made all he did to prosper in his hand.” (Genesis 39:3 NKJV).

The Lord doesn’t exalt the proud, only the humble (See 1 Peter 5:6); therefore any lingering pride from Joseph’s childhood must have been washed away, and Joseph would stand humble in Potiphar’s house, humble enough for God to exalt him.

Are you struggling in life to succeed? Why not try the Joseph way. Humble yourself before the Lord, for when you do, He can lift you up. Perhaps it is time to take your “pride temperature”. Ask God to reveal to you any lingering pride in your life. Repent of it, and ask God to give you a humble heart. No, you may not ever be destined to be the second in command of a great nation, as Joseph was, but humility is the secret to any true measure of success.

Join us next Saturday for another powerful lesson from the life of Joseph in “Teacher Joseph, Part 3”!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Author, Moderator, Acting Director, Answers2Prayer Ministries

Announcements
Join us next Saturday for another lesson from Joseph!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 25 Apr 2024, 11:23 pm

Little Tin Idols
By: Kari Vo
April 25, 2024

"I appeal to you, brothers, by the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, 'I follow Paul,' or 'I follow Apollos,' or 'I follow Cephas,' or 'I follow Christ.' Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the Gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Corinthians 1:10-18 ESV)

Poor Paul! He sounds like he's about to pull his hair out. Some of the Corinthian Christians have reported to him that there are factions developing in the church—little groups of people who have chosen their favorite teachers, and are proudly identifying themselves by their names. And who are these teachers? Why, Apollos, Peter (that is, Cephas), and even Paul himself! And, as always, there are some who claim to be the true originals who follow only Christ!

Paul is horrified. This is barely a step away from idolatry, as he knows perfectly well. And he's one of the idols! How absolutely dreadful. How can he get these people focused back on the only Person who matters at all—on Jesus Christ?

It's sort of funny to watch Paul lose his cool as he sputters about not being crucified for them. Yikes, he didn't even baptize most of them! How could they possibly have made such a terrible mistake and decided they were his personal followers? But the Corinthians aren't the only people who fall into the trap of personality cults. We do it too, don't we? A really good preacher, a favorite pastor, a youth leader who knows how to connect with the kids—or, on a larger scale, a favorite Christian singer or writer. How easy it is to take our eyes off Jesus and put them on these minor people—these fellow sinners who would be horrified if they knew they were taking attention away from Jesus Himself.

Let's not do it. Let's not exchange our merciful, glorious Jesus for a lot of little tin-plated idols. Instead, let's look away from the celebrities of the day, however fascinating, and look to Jesus—look at the Holy One, God Himself, who loved us and laid down His life for us. Let's look to Jesus, the Author and Perfector of our faith, who for love of us endured the cross—and by doing that broke the power of death and evil over everyone who trusts in Him. Let's put our trust in Him before anyone and anything else—and receive the true, everlasting life He offers to us, His children.

Forget the rest. Give us Jesus.

Prayer: Dear Lord, be first in my heart, without competition. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Kari Vo.
Originally published in The Lutheran Hour on January 18, 2023
Used by permission from International Lutheran Laymen’s League, all rights reserved

Reflection Questions:
1. Have you ever seen favorite leaders divide a group or congregation?
2. Who are some Christian celebrities who could be candidates for this sort of idolatry today?
3. How can you guard your heart against this evil, with the help of the Holy Spirit?

Announcements
What idols do you have in your life? We all have them. Ask God to reveal them, and to give you the desire in your heart to do away with them! If you need help with this, please contact us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 24 Apr 2024, 10:35 pm

God's Universal Message
By: Gail Lundquist
April 23, 2024

I love a book of moderate length (around 300 pages or less) with a straightforward plot and a reasonable number of characters. I prefer not to waste my time on a l-o-n-g book with a lengthy cast of characters and a convoluted plot. The same goes for a movie, play, or television show. I'm sure that my family would prefer to watch something without my constantly asking, "Who is that?" "What are they doing?" or "What's happening now?"

So, how do I wrap my mind around the Bible? This priceless tome is a compilation of the writings of many authors spanning thousands of years. Its cast of characters is endless, the plot lines swing wildly back and forth, and even the literary genres differ greatly from book to book. Yet, though it was written by human authors, we know that the Bible is fully trustworthy as God's message for us today.

"The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us do what is right." (2 Timothy 3:16 TLB)

So how is it possible to read such a book with any understanding? For me, the key is to read it slowly and carefully, bit by bit, chapter by chapter, book by book. I have read through the entire Bible several times over my lifetime, but I prefer not to turn it into a marathon, trying to read it through in a certain length of time. My purpose and goal is the growth and understanding that come from reading God's message to the world.

My daily Scripture reading usually consists of portions from the Old Testament and the New Testament, a psalm, and a verse or two from Proverbs. I love it when these portions — and sometimes a thought from my devotional reading — interlace in some way. Here's an example of how that recently happened. I read in Psalm 131:1-2: "Lord, my heart is not proud; I don't look down on others. I don't do great things, and I can't do miracles. But I am calm and quiet, like a baby with its mother. I am at peace, like a baby with its mother." (NCV) Then, a line in my devotional reading for the day read, "I want you to enjoy fully the good things I give you. The best way to do this is to live in the present, refusing to worry about tomorrow." These two interwoven thoughts assured me that I can trust God to keep things sorted out in our deeply divided world.

The Bible truly is our guidebook for life. Let's read and apply it in order to make the most of life.

Prayer: Dear Father in heaven, thank You for giving us the Bible as our guidebook for living a rich and fulfilling life. May we read and obey Your commands as evidence of our love for You. Amen.

Copyright © 2023, by Gail Lundquist , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca
Beaverton, Oregon, USA

Used with the permission of PresbyCan and author. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Announcements
Read any good books lately? Why not check out the One that's been on the best seller list forever: The Bible!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 20 Apr 2024, 11:26 pm

The Tension
By: Lynne Phipps
April 18, 2024

"Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city." (Proverbs 16:32 NIV)

I crochet a lot of blankets for babies. Recently I had begun one, when it occurred to me how well this particular colour went with my décor. I thus decided to pick up more yarn and increase the size of the piece. I now have a lovely warm throw for those drafty winter evenings.

Like knitting, one of the main skills when crocheting is to keep an even and consistent tension to your stitch. When this is achieved the finished product is something to be proud of, as it lays and looks beautiful, and retains its shape forever.

Likewise, learning to keep an even tension in regards to our attitudes and temper amidst our everyday lives is a skill worth cultivating. A friend of mine, when she begins to lose her temper or sees the children becoming impatient or angry is very fond of saying: patience is a virtue. I have heard her utter this so frequently, that I now find myself quoting it out loud when my temper is wearing thin. Jack Wellman in a Biblical definition of the word virtue, describes it this way: The word virtue has a lot of meaning and means many different things but can be a trait of disposition of character that leads to good behaviour.

Learning to control our temper, our annoyance, our bad attitudes by practicing the virtue of patience thus brings great reward to our lives, as the tensions we all have to deal with each day, and our reactions to them become much more even and balanced. Our behaviour and witness for Christ through our words and actions become much steadier and more consistent. Something I expect all of us would like to see within ourselves, for Proverbs 29:11 states: A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. NIV

Today we will each be faced with various issues and problems, some small, some large, that may test and try our patience. And amidst the tension of them we will also each have a choice: to be a fool or a wise person who keeps themselves under control. I pray that we may all choose wisely.

Prayer: Father God, You have spoken through Your word, that like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control. Therefore, help me today to look to You amidst the various tensions of my day. That through Your guidance I will choose wisely and be patient and consistent in my attitude and temper and therefore build up my witness to others rather than tearing it down. In Christ's name I pray. Amen. (From Proverbs 25:28 NIV)

Lynne Phipps
Atlin, British Columbia, Canada

Announcements
When the tensions of life arise, let's choose wisely to keep ourselves under control!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 20 Apr 2024, 7:24 pm

Hold It in Your Heart: Teacher Joseph, Part 1
April 20, 2024
The story of Joseph, found in Genesis 37-50. I’m sure you’ve all read it multiple times as have I; but each time I read it new truth jumps out at me… This will be the subject of the next few Saturday nuggets. I can only pray that you are as blessed as I have been.

We know that Jacob didn’t have the best parenting skills: “Jacob loved Joseph more than any of his other children…So one day Jacob had a special gift made for Joseph—a beautiful robe…” (Genesis 37:3 NLT). To favour one child over others is asking for trouble, and trouble is what brewed: “But his brothers hated Joseph because their father loved him more than the rest of them. They couldn’t say a kind word to him.” (Genesis 37:4 NLT). And Joseph himself fed into their animosity: “But Joseph reported to his father some of the bad things his brothers were doing.” (Genesis 37:2 NLT). Nobody likes a snitch, but when Joseph began with the dreams (See Genesis 37:5-11), his fate was sealed.

And I get it! Just who was this young upstart! Wasn’t it bad enough that their father favoured him? But he was also a snitch, and now he was setting himself up as more important than even his own parents! And as a result, even Jacob was angered by this second dream: “but his father scolded him. ‘What kind of dream is that?’ he asked. ‘Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow to the ground before you?’” (Genesis 37:10b NLT)

But Jacob seemed to take a bit of a passive stance when it came to disciplining his kids (See Genesis 34 and Genesis 35:22), and true to his style, he didn’t do anything to correct Joseph. Rather, the Bible records that Jacob, “…wondered what the dreams meant.” (Genesis 37:11b NLT).

I am currently faced with the situation where my husband is having very vivid dreams that push him beyond the realm of reality. My stance has been to try to steer him back into reality. What if I were to take a Jacob stance? What if I were simply to give the problem over to God and trust God had a plan? This is the first lesson today: when things happen that we don’t understand, we automatically jump to the fact that it shouldn’t have happened, and we try to “undo” any damage that may have been done. What if we took a Jacob stance? Fully surrendering the problem to God and letting Him work out the meaning?

The story goes on, however, and Joseph is sold into slavery. The brothers try to hide their crime by dipping Joseph’s coat of many colours into animal blood and presenting it to their father (See Genesis 37:18-36). Believing that his favourite son has been devoured by animals, Jacob grieves: “Then Jacob tore his clothes and dressed himself in burlap. He mourned deeply for his son for a long time. His family all tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted.” (Genesis 37:34-35 NLT)

Seems perfectly natural to me. Wouldn’t we all grieve in Jacob’s shoes? What Jacob didn’t know was that his son was alive and well in Egypt, and that as a result of this treachery, the way was made for the entire family to survive the great upcoming drought: “but God intended it all for good. He brought [Joseph] to this position so [Joseph] could save the lives of many people…” (Genesis 50:20 NLT)!

The point here is this: No matter how bad things look, God has an ultimate plan. Our job is to trust Him, that somehow He will cause, “…everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28 NLT)

What are you going through right now? Are you, like Jacob, in the thralls of grief? Has your world tumbled down around you? Is there no way out of the problems? Remember the story of Joseph! God isn’t finished with your story, and He won’t be until He causes everything to work out for the good! Instead, keep your eyes on Him. Hold everything in your heart, ever knowing that God will come through!

In His love
Lyn
Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
Wondering how humility can change the game? Join us next Saturday for “Teacher Joseph”, Part 2!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 16 Apr 2024, 11:32 pm

To Love That Much
By: Joseph J. Mazella
---------------------------------
April 16, 2024

When I was a young father struggling to get by I worked for a while in a lumber mill. It was hard, back-breaking work for little money. In the two years I worked there the job turnover rate was so high that only 4 of the people I started with were still there in the end. I did my best to make it through each day. I lived in my imagination and sang songs in my mind while my hurting body bent, lifted, and carried the heavy lumber over and over again.

One Summer day I came home from work covered in sweat and sawdust. My back ached, my feet hurt, and my entire spirit felt drained and depressed. My wife brought me dinner on a TV tray, but I was too tired to eat, too tired to shower, and even too tired to watch TV. I just lay on the couch wondering how much longer I would be able to go on at this job that was weakening my body, hurting my heart, and eating away at my soul.

I glanced out the living room window and saw my young children playing outside. They were swinging on an old swing set, chasing each other around the yard, and laughing with such joy. I kept watching them while my eyes misted over. I could feel my heart beating with love for them. I knew in that moment that I would give my life for them. And I also knew that I could continue on in this job for them, no matter how hard the work or how long I had to be there. With tears in my eyes I thanked God for giving me them and promised to love them, care for them, and be there for them forever.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to stay at that job for much longer, but that moment did stay with me to this day. I think maybe one of the reasons God puts us in this difficult, often painful world is so we can learn to Love that much. Love conquers every fear, heals every hurt, and helps us become who we were meant to be. Love makes us more and more like the One who made us. May all your days no matter how difficult be filled with Love then. May you spend them all loving God, yourself, and everyone else.

"Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." (Romans 6:3-5 NIV)

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements
Are you in ministry? Would you like the Answers2Prayer prayer team to partner with you in prayer? Let us know! lyn@sermonillustrator.org.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 13 Apr 2024, 8:47 pm

How to Be Obedient
April 13, 2024

Obedience to God. It’s a requirement. But how do we actually achieve this obedience?

Genesis 12 gives us some idea, for it begins with an incredible story of obedience:

“Now the Lord said to Abram, ‘Go from your country, And from your relatives, And from your father’s house, to the land which I will show you…” (Genesis 12:1 NASB).

Now I don’t know about you, but this would be an incredibly hard command for me to obey. I am of the personality type that needs to have all the answers before embarking on something as big as a move! Yet God is basically asking Abram to leave behind everything that he knows -- his family, his land, his livelihood, his friend, everything – without even telling him where he is to go! All God says is, “…to the land which I will show you…”!

Fortunately for Abram, he wasn’t like me. He “…went away as the Lord had spoken to him…” (Genesis 12:4a NASB). Perhaps Abram had a lot more faith than I do. He is, after all, named in Hebrews 11 as one of the great fathers of faith. But Abram also had something more than faith…He had a promise:

“And I will make you into a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing; And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.” (Genesis 12:2-3 NASB).

God always blesses our obedience. Abram knew this, and because of this, he was faithful and obedient. The first step, then, to obedience, is to have faith that God blesses the obedient!

The next step is outlined in Genesis 12:5-7: “…so they came to the land of Canaan. Abram passed through the land as far as the site of Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. Now the Canaanites were in the land at that time. And the Lord appeared to Abram and said, ‘To your descendants I will give this land.’ So he built an altar there to the Lord who had appeared to him.” (NASB)

One of the many pieces of my old life that continues to hang around is pride. I am ashamed to admit this, but I must be truthful. The times I have encounters with God, my tendency is to become quite proud of myself. After all, I must have done something right or God wouldn’t have spoken to me! And if I do take a step or two towards obedience, I tend to be quite proud of myself for that as well!

But not Abram.

Abram’s response? “So he built an altar there to the Lord…” (Genesis 12:7 NASB)! To Abram, it wasn’t at all about himself. Rather, it was completely about God. God spoke to Abram, Abram built an altar to worship God. A few verses later, we see him building yet another altar: “Then he proceeded from there to the mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; and there he built an altar to the Lord and called upon the name of the Lord.” (Genesis 12:8 NASB). This time, Abram wasn’t visited by God. Nonetheless, as he continues in his obedience, he continues to build altars to God!

This is the true secret to obedience, friends! We can’t allow any pride to direct our paths. Rather, we need to focus our energies on worshiping the Lord! Just like Abram of old, we need to understand how special it is for God to speak to us at all, and instead of becoming proud that He does, or becoming proud that we are being obedient, we need to pour out our gratitude in humble worship! When we approach the tasks God has given us with a humble heart, ever believing that He blesses us when we obey, our obedience suddenly is not difficult at all!

What is it that God is asking YOU to do? Whatever it is, consider it a great honour. Bow down and worship God for allowing you the privilege of serving Him in this way, and trust Him to bless your obedience.

In His love,
Lyn
Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 09 Apr 2024, 10:32 pm

A Calculated Risk
By: Shirley Moulton
April 9, 2024

While hiking with friends in Gatineau Park, near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, we approached a small stream over which had been placed a wooden plank to help hikers cross the water. Not having the best balance, I pulled a long stick from the undergrowth and used it as a staff to steady myself as I crossed. I took the risk that the plank wouldn't shift under my weight, and that the staff wouldn't slip and wobble in the stream's rocky bed. I take small risks daily without thinking about them. If I see an oncoming car when I am ready to cross a street, I calculate whether or not I can go safely before it is too close. If rain is in the forecast, I take the risk of not bringing the umbrella if I can arrive before the clouds open.

The first readers of the book of Hebrews faced more serious risks, enough to make them consider abandoning their faith in Jesus, but the writer reminded them of the calculated risks that their ancestors took, in faith.

“By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, ‘In Isaac your seed shall be called,’ concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense. By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come. By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff. By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the departure of the children of Israel, and gave instructions concerning his bones.” (Hebrews 11:17-22 NKJV)

Abraham, the friend of God, trusted God's promises of a great civilization descended from Abraham's family, and confidently obeyed God's command to sacrifice his son, Isaac. He was ready to let God take care of the future — and take the risk! He also took the risk of sending his servant to select a wife for his son Isaac from his father's tribe, in obedience to God. Isaac's son Jacob had many faith struggles in his life, even wrestling all night with an angel! Perhaps his greatest risk was in meeting Esau in later life, even moving his family and livestock out of harm's way in case he himself were harmed. We know that the reunion of the twin brothers was blessed by their trust and acceptance of God's faithfulness to them both. Jacob's son, Joseph, unjustly imprisoned for many years, took a huge risk in offering to interpret Pharaoh’s dreams, but he was blessed by God for his faith.

All of these Bible witnesses took calculated risks, based on their faith that the Lord can and will honour His promises. His promise of a Saviour was fulfilled in the person of Jesus, and we can trust in the promise of a heavenly home for believers. Will you believe that God is faithful and to be trusted? If so, take that calculated risk, and, in faith, trust His promises for your life.

Prayer: We thank You, dear Lord, for the faithful testimonies of Abraham and his descendants — those who knew that You were able to fulfill every great promise. We come to You in faith today, knowing that You are great and hold our futures secure. Amen.

Copyright © 2023, by Shirley Moulton , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Used with the permission of PresbyCan and author. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Announcements
Do you ever wonder how the devil succeeds in trapping so many of God's children? Check out CHECKMATE…Pal! A mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan designed to help us recognize and avoid the of the traps devil!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 03 Apr 2024, 10:27 pm

Faith in the Little Things
By: Paul Smyth
April 2, 2024

As believers in Jesus Christ, we all know that nurturing our faith is critical to maintaining a close relationship with our Heavenly Father. Without prayer and bible reading and fellowship, our faith roots can’t penetrate the soil as deeply as we’d like. When life becomes too hectic and busy and stressful and worrisome, it’s easy to lose sight of God or not feel His presence around us.

I’m not sure about you, but there are days when I feel alone and outside of Gods loving and provisional arms. It’s not His fault though, it’s mine. God is always there, it’s just that I don’t necessarily take the time to read my Bible or pray or simply find a calm place to be still and listen for the Holy Spirit’s prompting in my heart. Can you relate my friend?

Where I live, winters are cold and snow is plenty. It’s during this season of the year that I’m stuck inside more often than not. Personally, I’m not a big fan of frozen toes and fingers, not to mention mini-ice cycles forming on my moustache. But the other night, an astoundingly beautiful frost appeared and coated absolutely everything outside. Trees, decayed leaves on branches, windows, cars, buildings and likely a few stray cats—all becoming a picturesque tapestry of natures’ wonders.

For those of you living in warmer climates (yes, I’m jealous), frost is created when water vapour in the air meets solid objects on the ground that are already frozen. Ice crystals form immediately as water vapour continues to freeze. Everything in my yard was rimmed in white as though God Himself had glossed His creation in sparkling icy crystals using a paint brush. This is the part of the story where, as a Christian, I’m inclined to tell you that’s exactly what God did!

My point is this. I woke up that morning plagued with an anxious heart over family and loved ones, the troubled world in which we all reside and the never-ending stack of bills that love to accumulate. In that state of mental exhaustion, I simply didn’t feel as though I had the energy to pray or give God the credit He deserves for a new day and countless blessings that I often take for granted. But when I opened the blinds to look out into my backyard, my breath was taken away. It was truly a winter wonderland akin to something that you would see on a picture postcard. Being a photographer, I knew that I had to man up and venture out to snap some pics while I had the chance. It was bone-chilling cold with deep snow to match, but I was determined to not allow the elements to ruin an opportunity.

Bundling up like a wilderness explorer, I traipsed outside where a handful of heavily frosted ruby-red maple leaves immediately caught my eye. Moving in for a barrage of close-ups on the still-attached foliage, I was gently reminded in my heart that God is present even when I don’t seek Him out. That in the simplicity of my frosted backyard, He is there to calm my soul and give me peace—that a winter’s frost calls attention to His care and love for me, and more importantly, it awakens the joy and gratitude of my salvation through Jesus; a free gift that can’t be earned and certainly isn’t deserved.

“He lets me rest in green meadows; (and frozen backyards) he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.” (Psalms 23:2,3 NLT)

“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16 NLT)

So, the next time you need a faith reboot, take the time to see God in the smallest details of your life. You won’t be disappointed and you might just capture an amazing photograph in the process!

Paul Smyth

Announcements
What potential negative things face you today? Remember that God knows how to find beauty in even the worst situations...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 31 Mar 2024, 1:44 pm

Of Saturday Blues and Sunday Triumph
March 30, 2024

“Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a long sheet of clean linen cloth. He placed it in his own new tomb, which had been carved out of the rock. Then he rolled a great stone across the entrance and left. Both Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting across from the tomb and watching.” (Matthew 27:59-61 NLT)

It is Saturday, that day that must have seemed endless to the disciples and others who mourned Jesus’ death. All of their hopes and dreams. Dashed. There would be no one to rescue them from the roman oppression. They were doomed forever.

I can relate. When my husband was first given medication for his Alzheimer’s, and after taking just one dose, he returned to being sweet and tender and kind, just like the man I had known for so many years. I even began to hope that maybe we would have many more years where I could manage his care at home. Imagine my total disappointment when out of the blue, he returned to his former, non-medicated behaviour. All of my hopes and dreams. Dashed. There would be no relief from the Alzheimer’s behaviours.

I suspect you can all relate as well. That prayed for job interview, and you weren’t offered the job. The cancer wellness check reveals a return of cancer. The peaceful resolution of your marriage broken in a moment of passion. The summer storm that took out your excellent crop of wheat.

I could go on.

The problem is, none of Jesus’ close friends and followers realized that Sunday was coming! Their tears, their fears, their worry, their grief was all for naught! Why? Because Sunday morning Jesus rose from the grave! They had hoped for an earthly king to deliver them from the roman oppression. What they got was far better: Deliverance from spiritual oppression! Deliverance from death! Eternal life!

Meanwhile, a few blocks away, there was great concern amongst the Jewish and Roman leaders. Even though it was the Sabbath, and not just any Sabbath, but the Sabbath of Passover, the Jewish leaders went to see Pilot: “They told him, ‘Sir, we remember what that deceiver once said while he was still alive: “After three days I will rise from the dead.” So we request that you seal the tomb until the third day. This will prevent his disciples from coming and stealing his body and then telling everyone he was raised from the dead! If that happens, we’ll be worse off than we were at first.’” (Matthew 27:63-64 NLT).

Isn’t it interesting to note that Jesus’ followers mourned because they didn’t believe He would rise again, while Jesus’ enemies were busy taking precautions in case He did? They had more faith than Jesus’ followers!

Are you in a Saturday of life? If so, remember that Saturday so many years ago when Jesus’ body lay in a tomb. Remember that the tears and fears and worry and grief were all for nothing! Remember that God is at work in your story. He has a greater plan than you can even imagine, for: “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28 NLT); and we also know that, “God has made everything beautiful for its own time.” (Eccl. 3:11a NLT)! Take that step in faith that was shown by Jesus’ enemies! Believe in Resurrection Sunday, when everything that you are going through will be turned into something beautiful!

Remember, tomorrow we commemorate Jesus’ resurrection. Have a blessed Easter!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
Looking for more inspiration this Easter? Click here!
https://sermonillustrator.org/easter/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 24 Mar 2024, 10:08 pm

The Positive of Pride
March 23, 2024

What comes to your mind when you think of the word, “Pride”?

I don’t know about you, but most of my initial thoughts aren’t in the positive category. We’ve all been raised to believe that pride is a bad thing. Hey, the Bible even teaches this! “Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling.” (Prov. 16:18 NASB). And how about this one? “The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride, arrogance, the evil way, And the perverted mouth, I hate.” (Prov. 8:13 NASB). There are many others. I invite you to see also Proverbs 29:23, Romans 12:16, Psalms 10:4, etc.

Some of you can likely relate when I say that when someone compliments me on something I’ve done, I am so tempted to feel proud of my accomplishment. Take devotional writing, for example. Every time someone writes in to say they were blessed by one of my devotionals, I can always feel that self-pride beginning to rise.

But wait. Aren’t we supposed to have happy, positive emotions when we receive compliments? Especially when it is regarding the work of the Lord?

I have long struggled with this. Living in a sinful world, shouldn’t we feel proud each time we overcome? Each time we succeed in letting God work through us? Each time we accomplish something for His Kingdom?

Unfortunately, however, this will so easily lead to full-blow pride, the wrong kind, the kind spoken of in Proverbs 16:18: “Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling.” (NASB).

With all of that in mind, I believe that we are all justified if our first thoughts about the word “pride” are in the negative category!

This is why I was a little surprised when I stumbled upon James 1:9-10 this morning, for here is a passage in the Bible that actually says we should take pride… “Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. But the rich should take pride in their humiliation.” (James 1:9-10 NASB).

It may seem on first glance that the Bible is contradicting itself; however, we know that the Bible never contradicts itself. Therefore, there is a reasonable explanation… And it can be found in the same verses! Let’s take a look at this same passage from the New Living Translation: “Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honored them. And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them.” (James 1:9-10a NLT).

In other words, it isn’t the pride itself that is bad, it’s what we choose to take pride in! And according to James, the brother of Jesus, it is very good to take pride in things that have been given to us by God!

This puts a whole new spin on pride, doesn’t it? Pride, when it is in our own accomplishments, is just plain wrong, and the Bible states this clearly. What isn’t wrong, however, and in fact is very, very right, is to feel pride in the Lord for what He has done!

What, then, if I began to stop seeing my own accomplishments as my good actions; but rather, I start seeing them for what they are: God working through me? Then I would have a right to feel proud: Proud of what God is doing!

It allows us to feel those positive, wonderful thoughts, but all the while taking us out of the picture and showcasing … God!

That is the positive of pride!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 21 Mar 2024, 5:58 pm

Inheriting the Earth
----------------------------
March 21, 2024

"Seeing the crowds, He went up on the mountain, and when He sat down, His disciples came to Him. And He opened His mouth and taught them, saying ... 'Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.'" (Matthew 5:1-2, 5 ESV)

If you're like me, you've heard a lot of jokes about the meek inheriting the earth. The jokes exist because there's definitely something strange here—people who are meek and humble in heart often lose things, because other, meaner people take them away from them!

But Jesus says very clearly that His promise will happen. The people who are gentle and humble in heart—who don't stomp over other people's rights, but treat others with care and concern—those people will inherit the earth. How can this happen? Only by inheritance.

If you inherit something, you aren't buying it, making it, or taking it by force. You aren't doing anything at all, really. Someone else has already done what's necessary to get whatever you're about to inherit. Then they die, and you receive the gift.

And that's exactly what has happened to us, isn't it? God made the world and all creation—Jesus redeemed it, especially us sinners (see Romans 8:19-24)—and the Holy Spirit made us God's children through faith in Jesus. Nothing is left but the death—Jesus' death and resurrection, by which He passed so many wonderful gifts to all of us, absolutely free of charge. We have done nothing—He has done everything. And so we will inherit the earth because of Jesus—yes, and forgiveness, joy, and new life forever as the people of God.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the inheritance You have given us. Amen.

Originally published in The Lutheran Hour on November 3, 2022
Used by permission from International Lutheran Laymen’s League, all rights reserved

Reflection Questions:
1. When have you inherited something, big or tiny? What was it? From whom?
2. Name some of the many gifts you have inherited from Jesus.
3. Normally an inheritance is a mixed blessing because we have to lose someone to get it. What does it mean to you to have Jesus alive and well to share your inheritance with you?

Announcements
Welcome to all new Nugget subscribers!
We hope and pray that you will find this newsletter a blessing to you and to your families. God bless each of you as you strive to draw closer to Him!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Mar 2024, 12:23 am

Truly Awesome
By: Sharon Lundquist
March 19, 2024

“The council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; he is more awesome than all who surround him.” (Psalm 89:7 NIV)

"Awesome," the young server responded as we gave our restaurant order. It made us wonder how our simple order could be that "awesome". Sometimes, it seems like good words are so overused that they lose their impact or meaning. The Cambridge Dictionary defines the word awesome as "causing feelings of great admiration, respect, or fear", so I doubt that our order from a menu fits that category.

The Word of God contains the words "awe" and "awesome" to describe what no other word could do: a Presence with all power Who exists throughout eternity and Who is beyond our comprehension. As humans, all we can do is to respond with wonder and praise.

I recall some instances of feeling that jaw-dropping, absolute awe. One was seeing our first granddaughter when she was less than an hour old, so tiny and pink, looking out at me from an incubator. Another was very late at night next to a lakeside camping spot, when the only lights were from innumerable stars. The vastness of the ocean during a beach walk, or the depth of the Grand Canyon, or a beautiful sunset have all evoked the same wonderment within me. In each of these moments, I was silent because there were no adequate words to express my feelings. Deep inside, I knew that these things were because of God's power of creation at work to point me to Him.

Now, here is a really, truly awesome event that John, the beloved disciple, records:

“Among the lampstands was someone ‘like a son of man,’ dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.’" (Revelation 1:13-18 NIV)

Think of this, my friends. Someday, we will all stand before this very One! How will we respond? I'm sure that we all will be brought to our knees to bow before His powerful and truly awesome presence.

Prayer: Our Father, today, we bow in humble adoration and awe to thank You for Your holiness and power and love for us. Help us to live humbly before You, always praising Your greatness, till You come again. In the name of Your Son and our Saviour Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2022, by Sharon Lundquist , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca
Beaverton, Oregon, USA

Announcements
Are the Nugget devotionals a blessing to you? Check out the Scriptural Nuggets website

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 15 Mar 2024, 12:00 am

Towers of Faith
By: Shirley Moulton
March 12, 2024

Many families have a heraldic device and motto. The heraldry shield of Moulton is a red and gold crest, with three stars and the Latin motto Regi fidelis (faithful to king and country). One of my relatives has the family name Kelly, the emblem being a stone tower flanked by lions in silver and blue, and its motto is Turris fortis mihi Deus (God is my tower of strength). I like the idea of God as a high tower, a place of refuge: "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." (Proverbs 18:10 NKJV)

The letter to the Hebrews tells of many towers of faith to encourage and inspire us.

“By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise; for he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God. By faith Sarah herself also received strength to conceive seed, and she bore a child when she was past the age, because she judged Him faithful who had promised. Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born as many as the stars of the sky in multitude — innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore.” (Hebrews 11:8-12 NKJV)

We look up to Abraham, the friend of God, as being one of the great towers of faith, but we know that he certainly wasn't perfect, going only partway when God called him to leave Ur of the Chaldeans. He made his own plans in Egypt, with disastrous consequences. Eventually, he did obey completely, being one of the few men who met God face to face. Sarah didn't have perfect faith either, laughing in disbelief when the Lord told of her pregnancy.

The letter to the Hebrews was written to discouraged Christians who were considering returning to their previous lives as Jewish believers. Their attention was called to the towers of faith to show that God is faithful and thoroughly capable of keeping His promises. Even though the faith of Abraham and Sarah was imperfect, their faith offers an example to follow, resulting in millions of descendants and impacting more generations than they could ever dream of.

Your faith owes much to the towers of faith in the Bible. Are you discouraged and feeling far from God and that your faith does nothing for you? Look to Him, your high tower of strength, Who promises a city whose foundations are made by God Himself, and Whom we can judge as faithful.

Prayer: Be Thou my battle shield, sword for the fight;
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight;
Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Amen. – Eleanor Hull

Copyright © 2022, by Shirley Moulton , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Used with the permission of PresbyCan and author

Announcements
Do you need to be prayed for or do you know someone in need? Don't hesitate to contact us via email here or through What’sApp (+91 98696 68137). We are here to pray for you and to offer you encouragements.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 14 Mar 2024, 11:32 pm

"The apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our faith!' And the Lord said, 'If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, "Be uprooted and planted in the sea," and it would obey you.'" (Luke 17:5-6 ESV)

Okay, this bugs me. The disciples ask Jesus to increase their faith, and what does He say in return? "If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed," you could do this and that marvelous thing. But they aren't doing those things right now, are they? So what does that say about the size of their faith? It looks remarkably like Jesus is saying, "You think your faith is small? You're right. It's even smaller than a mustard seed!" Which doesn't seem very helpful.

That may be unfair of me. After all, the disciples actually did do miracles when they were out on their preaching trips. They also did them after Jesus died and rose again, during the days of the brand-new Christian church. So maybe I'm reading this wrong.

But what it also says to me is that the size of our faith might not be the most important thing to worry about. The real question is, who do we have faith in? If we have monumentally huge faith, but it's in the wrong god—a false god, an idol of any kind—well, that does nobody any good. But if we have tiny, tiny faith—smaller than a mustard seed, barely enough to be called "faith" at all—as long as that faith is in Jesus, that is all that matters. The Holy Spirit will do His work in our hearts, and eventually we will grow. But even from the tiniest beginning, we belong to Jesus—saved by His death on the cross, made alive forever by His resurrection power.

And so when Jesus refers to us as "you of little faith," I will maybe hang my head a bit and blush. But He still has His hands around me, and around you, and everyone who trusts in Him—even the littlest of us. And He is great enough to keep us forever, this Savior who gave His own life for us, to make us God's again.

Prayer: Dear Lord, keep my faith centered in You, and cause me to grow in You. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Kari Vo
Originally published in The Lutheran Hour on September 29, 2022

Reflection Questions:
1. Just for smiles, what size would you rate your own faith at?
2. Do you think it has grown since you first belonged to Jesus?
3. How has God worked to increase your faith in Him?

Announcements
Does your faith need a boost? Why not "boost” it with a series of studies on the Faith chapter, Hebrews 11? Simply click here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 09 Mar 2024, 11:30 pm

Welcome To
THE NUGGET
How to Live a Jesus Life
March 9, 2024
It wasn’t the best afternoon of my life.

I went into the medical facility for a routine 10 minute test. Because it wasn’t hot or cold, and because the hospitals are still limiting people as much as possible due to ongoing COVID, I had my husband stay in the car listening to music. Though it was mid-afternoon, there hadn’t been time for lunch and we were both hungry. The procedure was indeed 10 minutes. The wait, however, was nearly two hours. I was crippled by worry for my husband, for fear he would try to look for me and get lost, or he would be too hot/cold/hungry, etc. And because I had left him my phone for listening to music, I had no way of contacting him. And indeed, he was just getting out of the car to look for me when I finally left the building…

An hour and some lunch later, he lost two of my credit cards while going into a local store. I spent an hour on the phone trying to cancel the first card, only to be told that because he is the primary card holder and the afternoon’s events had left him confused and unable to communicate, they wouldn’t cancel my card. I panicked. I let myself get very, very upset because I realized his dementia had progressed to the place where I needed to get a legal power of attorney for me to handle the finances.

Why did I get so upset about these two things?

It’s human you say. And I thank you for understanding. And I know God understands my humanity as well. But I think the reason for getting upset is far deeper than this…

We know that Jesus led a perfect life: “Seeing then that we have a great High Priest … Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.” (Hebrews 4:14-15 NKJV). How did He do this?

He’s the Son of God, you say. And true enough.

Yet the Bible says He faced every temptation we do: “…but was in all points tempted as we are…” (Hebrews 4:15a NKJV). Was there something special about Him being God’s son that made Him stronger against temptation than we are?

Again, I think it goes far deeper than this…

Jumping ahead in Hebrews to chapter 5, we see this: “… though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.” (Vs. 8 NKJV). Jesus didn’t have any kind of an advantage over us! He had to learn obedience the same as we do!

How did He do this? “During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.” (Hebrews 5:7 NIV)

If Jesus Himself, the Son of God, was only able to surmount temptation by offering up fervent cries and tears to God, then how much more do we, who are weak, need to follow His example! And He didn’t just do this in times of great need. It was His habit to pray, even all night (See Luke 6:12, Mark 1:35, Luke 5:16, etc)!

What if we spent even half as much time as Jesus in prayer? Perhaps I wouldn’t have had such an upsetting day, and perhaps you would be able to weather the problems thrown at you a bit better as well!

Could this be the secret to living a life patterned after Jesus Christ? The secret to living the Jesus life we are called to live (See 1 Peter 2:21)?

Think about it!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Author, Moderator, Associate Director, Answers2Prayer Ministries

Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” (NIV) Send your prayer request via email here or through What’sApp (+91 98696 68137) and let us pray in agreement with you! "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” (Matt 18:20 NIV) Hallelujah!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 07 Mar 2024, 10:31 pm

Our Best Protection
By: Gail Lundquist
March 7, 2024

"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." (Ephesians 6:11 NIV)

Our world today is full of protective devices. Some are part of our everyday life whether we choose them or not. Airbags in cars, highway guard rails, and stop signs are universal safety equipment intended for the common good. Other protections, such as COVID-19 vaccines, masks, lifejackets, and smoke alarms, are often offered and strongly recommended, but are not always mandated. We live in a world of choices and must take personal responsibility for our own choices. The same is true in our Christian life.

We face many dangers in our walk of faith, but Ephesians 6 tells us of a means of full protection that is freely offered to us. It is up to us to avail ourselves of this protection. This full suit of armour — the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the footwear of the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit (the Word of God) — is specially designed to protect us against all of Satan's tricks.

Paul described armour that was commonly used by soldiers of the Roman Empire in the first century A.D. My mental image — triggered by memories of flannelgraph stories in Sunday school — is of a Roman helmet, shield, and breastplate. Here are some points about this spiritual armour that I have noted:

We are told to put on this armour. It is not forced upon us but seems to be a matter of our (wise and strongly encouraged) choice.
This armour is given as protection in a struggle against spiritual forces of evil, not earthly foes.
We aren't to initiate the battle, but we are to stand firm as Satan attacks us head on.
With one exception, all of these pieces of armour are for defense, not offense. Our one offensive weapon is God's Word. We can freely use His words — not our own — to defend our faith and our position.
These thoughts remind me that our battle is in God's hands and that He has offered us all the protection that we need in this spiritual battle. In times of discouragement, we can be encouraged by God's promises. When we have a difficult choice to make, we can find guidance from God's Word. When we are faced with temptation, we can call on Him for help.

To think about: How can we put on God's armour in our spiritual battle today?

Prayer: O Lord, You know the trials and struggles that we face every day. May we show evidence of our faith in You by not trying to run from trouble, but by choosing to use the spiritual armour that You have given us to equip us for this daily struggle. Amen.

Copyright © 2022, by Gail Lundquist , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca
Beaverton, Oregon, USA

Announcements
"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Cor. 9:8)

Wait a minute: If God promises abundance, then why do I have all this need? Click here to find out!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 06 Mar 2024, 12:53 am

Burdens
March 5, 2024

“Now we command you, brothers, in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness ... For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. ... For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living." (2 Thessalonians 3:6a, 7-8, 10-12 ESV)

"When I'm old, I don't want to be a burden to anybody." People say this because they worry about being a burden to others—costing them time or trouble or money. And so they do everything they can to stay independent—to remain givers, not receivers. For some, this even threatens their lives, as they stay in dangerous situations long past the time they should accept help.

So what about today's passage? Is it just another reason to feel guilty? No.

The key is in verse ten: "If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat." Notice that word "willing." The Holy Spirit is speaking through Paul, as He does through all Scripture, and He deliberately says "willing to work." He does not say "able to work" or just plain "working."

What does this mean? It means that what is in the heart is the important issue. Are you willing, wishful, even desperate to contribute in whatever way you can? Are you prevented from working because of illness or disability or other problems that you would gladly get rid of, if only you could? Then you are not an idler. You are not a moocher or freeloader. Most important, you are not under God's judgment. It doesn't matter how helpless you may be. As long as the willingness is there, you're fine.

But that doesn't solve your discomfort, does it? Well, no, it does not. As a Christian, you are following in Jesus' footsteps—you are walking the way of the cross. And what did that mean for Jesus?

It meant that, as He headed to Jerusalem to save us all by His death and resurrection there, He accepted help. He and all the disciples stayed in other people's houses and ate other people's food. On Palm Sunday Jesus borrowed someone's donkey and other people's clothing to use as a saddle. Even His cross was not His own—Palestine has little wood, and the cross was doubtless used for many people.

And they laid Him in a borrowed tomb.

Think of it—the Son of God, loving you, chose to be dependent. He accepted that as part of His sacrifice to make you His own. And He will give you His Holy Spirit, so that you, too, can accept dependence at the right time—walking the way of the cross with love and gratitude.

Prayer: Dear God, help me when I'm having a hard time relying on others for help. Amen.

Originally published in The Lutheran Hour on November 9, 2022

Reflection Questions:
1. Is it hard for you to accept help? Why or why not?
2. Name some other times Jesus accepted help.
3. How could your accepting help actually be a form of ministry in it

Announcements
Are you looking for that rest, peace and security that everyone says comes from Jesus? Visit the mini-series, "Eternal Music" and find out!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 03 Mar 2024, 12:30 am

Abundant Life? What Does THAT Mean?
March 2, 2024

We've all read the text, we've heard it preached in sermons, we've read devotionals about it... It seems rather clear, doesn't it? Jesus says: "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:10b NKJV). And when Jesus says it, He means it!

I don't know about you, however, but the life I have since becoming a Christian doesn't seem all that "abundant". Problems still happen. I'm still subject to illnesses and accidents and relationship problems, and it seems that the harder I try to even be better from a spiritual standpoint, I fail even worse than I did before.

Of course, we know that the devil doesn't like it very much when we give our hearts to God and accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, and we know that He prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking who he can devour (See 1 Peter 5:8). So on the one hand, we are promised -- by the One who keeps ALL His promises -- that we will have abundant life; but on the other hand, we are open prey for the devil who is seeking to devour us. How can these two truths be reconciled?

I believe that the answer lies in our definition of "Abundant Life". You see, God isn't a big "Santa". He answers our prayers, yes, but He answers them according to His will, according to what He, in His ultimate knowledge and wisdom, knows is best for us. And sometimes He tells us we have to "wait". We tend to claim John 10:10 as something that is our "right". So often I've heard people say, "But God MUST do _____!" I'm sorry my friends, but God doesn't have to do anything! He is sovereign, He loves us, He is here to take care of us, but He knows best what we need, and unfortunately for us, we do NOT know what is best for us!

There is another text in the Bible that talks about those who are in Christ becoming rich, and I believe it sheds some light on the whole "abundant life" dilemma. I love the way it is stated in the New Century Version of the Bible: "Serving God does make us very rich..." (1 Timothy 6:6a NCV)

Well that sounds a lot like John 10:10, doesn't it? Jesus came to give us abundant life, and serving God makes us very rich!

But wait, this isn't helping! I am not rich, and most of those I know who serve God with a servant's heart are not rich at all! Some can't even make it from paycheck to paycheck, while others don't even have a paycheck!

But 1 Timothy 6:6 doesn't end here. It goes on to say, "...if we are satisfied with what we have." (1 Timothy 6:6b NCV)! Did you catch that? Serving God does make us rich, but only if we learn to be satisfied with what we have!

In another place, Paul says he has learned to be content with what he has: "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content..." (Phil. 4:11 NKJV). I believe that it comes as no surprise to anyone that it is often the rich in this world who are never satisfied with what they have. No, riches don't bring happiness. Rather, when we learn to be content with what we have, we will see that serving God becomes an incredibly rich experience, so rich that we would never think of trading it for worldly gain.

And there is something even more incredible when we realize that our contentment is the key element to riches... When we learn to submit our every desire to God, when we learn to accept His will, to surrender completely to His sovereignty, when we stop trying to order Him around and accept with contentment what He does give us, something beautiful happens: God supplies our true needs!

In the fall of 2022, I was very, very sick. After three weeks of what I was calling a severe resurgence of IBS, something that I hadn't suffered from in years, I finally called the doctor. While I was awaiting test results, I had several dear friends tell me that God must heal me. I tried to be gentle in my rebuke, but you see, I don't even want God to do what I want, not if it isn't right for me! And so I surrendered the whole thing to Him. As it turned out, I had picked up an intestinal parasite. Unfortunately for me, the "cure" was worse than the problem, as I couldn't keep the medication down. And then to top it all off, my son, who came down to help me out while I was sick, brought COVID with him and before long, we all had a pretty significant case of COVID.

Sounds pretty bad, doesn't it? Why would God allow this to happen? This doesn't look much like "abundant life", does it! But you see, in this, I have long ago learned to be content with whatever I have. I didn't get upset with God, I didn't even ask Him to heal me. I just submitted myself to Him. And He did heal me. But not before doing something else very important... You see, I've been struggling with how to keep up with everything and still care for my husband's needs. I've been staying up late trying to get everything done, and it never occurred to me that I should seek help. When I found myself so sick, God began to work the truth into my heart that I needed help. And then He began supplying it from a variety of different ways. Some of those ways meant extra expense, and my retirement income didn't show any signs of increasing. God then opened the door and provided the exact amount extra each month to cover the extra expenses! Without me having to do anything!

God didn't heal me of my illness. Not like it was expected of Him. Instead, He healed me of my stress, which was behind the severity of my illness, and if not taken care of, would have resulted in far greater health problems in the future.

What happened here? I serve God, and I have learned to be content with what He gives me. I have learned to surrender my problems to Him. And as a result, He has made me rich. He has given me the abundant life I needed to be able to survive and take care of my husband!

Jesus does promise us abundant life, but that abundance only comes by being content with what we have as we diligently serve the Lord! What are you going through right now? Are you frustrated that God isn't answering your prayers? Why not surrender it all to Him. Stop telling Him what He needs to do, and start being content with what you have, ever believing that God, who knows everything and who loves you enough to die for you, knows exactly what you truly need and will give it to you.

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Author and Associate Director, Answers2Prayer Ministsries
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 02 Mar 2024, 1:52 am

God's Medicine Bag
By: Diane Eaton
February 29, 2024

Some of us recall those days when a doctor made house calls, carrying a black bag stocked with medicines. After he assessed our trouble, we'd be offered a suitable remedy. Today, house calls have been replaced with clinic visits or perhaps a brief phone call. Sometimes, we never meet the doctor; we simply receive a prescription, which hopefully helps.

"O Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me." (Psalm 30:2 NIV)

Thankfully, God's methods as our "Great Physician" are far superior. He makes "house calls" — or better yet, He comes into our lives and stays, supporting us with His "righteous right hand."

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10 NIV)

What a comforting portrayal of our Lord! Of course, as a Physician, he'd have his own "doctor's black bag" filled with medicinal preparations. Let's take a look inside and imagine what's there. What do you see? I see compartments stocked with different coloured capsules ready to explode with healing power when absorbed. These colours represent various portrayals of our Lord, such as "I am the Lord, who heals you." (Exodus 15:26b NIV) Remember, the Great Physician is the medicine Himself! Yet, this infinite God is far too grand for us to absorb. We experience God best in suitable doses formulated for our need — whatever portrayal helps us best at the time.

For example, today, I experience my Lord as a gentle Shepherd tending to one hurting sheep — me. The Shepherd gives that sheep His undivided attention. He carefully examines its condition to determine exactly what's needed. Stooping low, He notices wounded knees, scraped from falling on stony ground. He gently washes the abrasions. This stings, but He soothes the pain with ointment. He sees that this sheep is weakened from its wanderings through inhospitable territory. It needs rest. So, the Shepherd picks up the sheep and makes it to lie down in soft, green pastures. Here, it is revived through restful trust in the Shepherd's protective presence.

I could go on. More and more imaginings come to mind as I meditate over the Shepherd as my Healer. It's like taking a slow-release capsule from God's medicine bag. As these soothing impressions penetrate into my being, the Lord restores my soul, even while stirring my longing for His better rest when, fully healed, "I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." (Psalm 23:6b NIV)

Indigenous people in my area have a medicine bag tradition. They carry little pouches containing items believed to protect them and give spiritual powers. We have our own medicine bag, so to speak, through Christ's Spirit within. Today, I'm simply offering one suggestion for its use: let's meditate on our Lord in some specific way — as our most excellent and praiseworthy "medicine".

"If anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things." (Philippians 4:8b NIV)

Prayer: Great Physician, subdue our chaotic thought habits so that we can better absorb the impact of Your healing power through Your continual presence. Amen.

Copyright © 2022, by Diane Eaton , first published on the PresbyCan Daily Devotional presbycan.ca .
Paisley, Ontario, Canada

Reprinted from PresbyCan with author's permission

Announcements
Does anyone out there find the Bible dull? Lacking in excitement and action? Check out: Lights, Camera, Action! -- A mini-series in the books of Joshua and Acts by Suresh Manoharan.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 22 Feb 2024, 5:06 pm

Dramatic?
February 22, 2024

"I thank Him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because He judged me faithful, appointing me to His service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display His perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in Him for eternal life. To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen." (1 Timothy 1:12-17 ESV)
(
When I was younger, I sometimes went to visit other churches. And people would stand up and tell dramatic stories about how they used to have really terrible lives and then Jesus saved them and they became completely different people with brand new hearts. They told stories like St. Paul—the man who went from being a persecutor to a super-missionary overnight.

It was wonderful to hear what Jesus could do. But it was also difficult to relate to someone like that. After all, most of us have not sinned dramatically like Paul did. We have not been persecutors. We have not helped to put people to death. We may not even remember a time before we belonged to Jesus.

In the same way, most of us do not have exciting stories to tell about life in Christ. We don't struggle to survive in a jungle or to suffer for our faith in a concentration camp. Our daily challenges are more likely to involve getting along with family members or difficult co-workers. No one will want to make a movie of our lives!

And yet ... we have more in common with Paul than we might think. Like Paul, we started from a position of complete helplessness—broken by sin, under the power of death and evil, completely unable to help ourselves. We too needed Jesus. And Jesus found us, just as He found Paul. He came to us and made us His own through Baptism and through faith in our Savior who suffered, died, and rose from the dead for our sake. Now we live our lives in the power of the Holy Spirit. And He shows His power daily through what we do and do not do, what we say and do not say—whether anyone else notices it or not.

In the end, it doesn't matter whether we have dramatic stories to tell. The only audience that matters knows all about it already—and that is the Lord. We live for His eyes, because we belong to Him and we love Him—because He loved us first and He came looking for us. Your story matters to Him. He is making something beautiful of you, something that pleases Him and makes Him very happy. How could it be otherwise, when He loves you enough to die and rise for you?

Prayer: Dear Savior, make my life what You want it to be—whether it's dramatic or not. Amen.

Originally published in The Lutheran Hour on September 7, 2022

Reflection Questions:
1. Did you hear or read any of those dramatic conversion stories when you were growing up?
2. If so, what did you think of them? How did they affect you?
3. Why do you think God chooses most of us to have quieter lives?

Announcements
The blood of Jesus: It is amazing in its healing and protective qualities. Have you been covered with Jesus' blood? If not, why not do so today? You can do so in one of three ways:
1. You can view our Salvation video;
2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, or contact us via What’sApp at +1 (473) 417-8412, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Don't wait! Do it today!

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 11 Feb 2024, 12:58 am

The Number One
February 10, 2024

Jesus is the first born of all creation (See Col. 1:15). He is the head of the church, and He is the beginning, the firstborn of the dead, so that He might have first place in everything (See Col. 1:18).

But just what does all of that mean? I mean, why does Paul go to such great lengths to expound on Christ's rightful position as "first"? Could it be because human nature is such that we tend to not allow Christ in the #1 position in our lives? That we tend to occupy that position ourselves?

I don't know about you, but I certainly live most of my life as if the big "me" were #1, rather than Christ! It makes sense, though. If Christ has truly earned that #1 position, shouldn't I make Him #1 as well?

I suppose that I could end this devotional right here, for that is the big point to be made. However, a closer look at the verses describing Jesus as #1 will serve to cement this in our hearts and spirits, enough to make us desire to give Him the #1 spot in our hearts. Let's take a look at Colossians 1:15-22:

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him. He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together. He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross.And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciledin his fleshly bodythrough death, so as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him..." (NRSV)

Notice a few key phrases here: "He is the image of the invisible God..." -- Why would this be important? Because no one has ever seen God, nor could we stand to see Him face to face: "No one has ever seen God..." (John 1:18a NRSV). The verse goes on to say, "...it is God the only Son, who is close to the Father’s heart, who has made him known." (John 1:18b NRSV). Thus, even though we don't have even the vaguest concept of what God is like, the fact that Jesus is our image of God means that when we study Jesus, His character, His heart of love, His mercy and His grace, what we are really seeing is a reflection of God Himself! The fact that Jesus is #1 means that we have a reference for who God is! And if this isn't already spelled out clearly, Paul goes on in his letter to the church of Colossia to make sure we understand this concept: "For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell..." (vs. 19). Jesus is the image of God, and God dwells in Him!

"...the firstborn of all creation..." -- If you wonder what this means and how it is significant to us today, you need look no further than the next line of the text: "...for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him..." Thus, the fact that Jesus is the firstborn of all creation means that He is rightfully positioned to create! He is the agent by which the creator God brought all things into being!

I find the next little tag in vs. 16 very interesting: "...all things have been created through him and for him." (Vs 16b). So not only was Jesus the agent God used to create everything, but God's purpose was for that creation to happen ... for Jesus!

The verse goes on to state that Jesus is, "...before all things, and in him all things hold together." (vs. 17). The creation cannot be greater than the creator, and it is only in Jesus that everything comes together!

Paul then reminds us that Jesus is, "...the head of the body, the church." (Vs. 18a). This is in keeping with many other passages of Scripture: Psalms 118:22, Ephesians 1:22, Ephesians 5:23 etc.

We are then told, "...he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything." (Vs. 18b) In case it wasn't clear before His death that He was the first in everything, Jesus sealed this position for Himself in coming to this earth and living a perfect life, then dying on the cross, all to reconcile us with the Father.

Because Jesus gave of Himself so sacrificially, "...through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross." (Vs. 20). Notice that God was pleased to reconcile Himself to all things! This was the best news since the fall of mankind! We chose sin, thus seperating ourselves from God, but Jesus bridged the scasm that lay between us!

Why?

"...so as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him..." (Vs. 22). Wait. Did you get that? If not, read it again: God was pleased to reconcile Himself, so as to present you holy and blameless! So as to present you irreproachable before Him!

Jesus truly is #1. It was always intened that He be #1, and creation, that happened through Him, was also meant to be for Him! But it wasn't just a gift for Jesus to be #1. He earned the right at the cross! And He did it to reconcile us to God! Therefore it is also His right to be #1!

Why, then, do we boot Him out of His rightful position? Why do we insist on being the boss? He was created to be the boss, He earned that right, and the fact that He rules in love helps us to know that He will never abuse that position in our lives!

And with all of this in mind, I can't help but make this my prayer: Dear God, we want YOU to take Your rightful place as #1 in our lives! Please, Lord, help us to desire for You to be #1. Help us to be aware of the times we take over, to repent of those times, and to humbly give You that top spot that is Yours by right, but also Yours because You earned it! Lord, don't let us stop You from being #1!

I pray you prayed this prayer with me from the heart as well!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Moderator, Associate Director, Answers2Prayer Ministries

Announcements
Do you find yourself far away from home? Do you even know where home is? Check out the mini-series, "Homeward Bound", by Elizabeth Price.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next