World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 11:17 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 11:13 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 11:11 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Admin

»  Israel's Eurovision song Hurricane.
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 10:16 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 9:36 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 9:07 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 12:17 am by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 12:14 am by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 12:11 am by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyYesterday at 12:02 am by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyFri 10 May 2024, 11:35 pm by Admin

» Sign Petition Against Antisemitism
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyFri 10 May 2024, 11:26 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyFri 10 May 2024, 11:20 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyFri 10 May 2024, 11:17 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyFri 10 May 2024, 5:45 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyThu 09 May 2024, 10:38 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyThu 09 May 2024, 9:55 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyThu 09 May 2024, 9:37 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 EmptyThu 09 May 2024, 9:31 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 24 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:40 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 16, 2013
To the Church in Sardis: Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 6
By Answers2Prayer

"To the Angel of the church in Sardis write..." (Rev. 3:1a)

Sardis is the same city as the modern-day city of Sart. It was the capital of the ancient kingdom of Lydia and was a city of great wealth and fame.

Sardis was filled with sophisticated paganism. It stood about thirty miles south-east of Thyatira, and was the home of Croesus. It stood at the crossing of Roman roads, in a plain watered by the River Pactolus. It was, according to Pliny, the place where the dyeing of wool was discovered. It was also the seat of the licentious worship of Cybele. The ruins of the temple are still there. It was called by some "the city of Death", and was known as a city of softness and luxury, of apathy and immorality.

"These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars." (Rev. 3:1b)

Rev. 1:20 tells us that the seven stars are the angels to the seven churches: "The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches." (Rev 1:20 NKJV). In other words, Jesus is reminding us that He controls the angels! The message we receive comes directly from Him! Directly from God! We need to sit up and pay attention!

And what of commendations? There are none. God goes immediately to the heart of the problem: "You have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead." (Rev. 3:1c).

It is interesting to note that there is no mention of persecution in the letter to the church of Sardis. We can assume from this that early Christians coexisted peacefully with the Jewish community and the city establishment. They were not accustomed to opposition, and as is the case wherever the church lives in peace, Christians tended to grow comfortable in their relationship with the world. Their spiritual state prevented them from realizing that Jesus' power was available to them!

Does any of this sound familiar?

It is a perfect description of the Western church, friends! We are not accustomed to opposition, we live in peace with our non-Christian neighbours, and we are comfortable with our relationship with the world! So comfortable in fact, that it becomes harder and harder to believe that there is more to being a Follower of Christ than having simply accepted Jesus into our hearts! But there is more! Oh, so much more!

So, is there a consequence to this problem? Always! "Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. Remember what you have received and heard; obey it and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come as a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you." (Rev. 3:2,3)

Friends, the consequence is this: If we don't break out of our comfort zone, if we don't come alive, if we don't seek God to His fullest, then what remains of God in us will die! We need to continually seek Him, seek His face, seek His power and His voice! Otherwise, we, too, will grow too comfortable with our relationship with the world, and we will risk losing all that we have been given. We risk not being ready when Jesus returns!

But not everyone in Sardis had fallen away: "Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes." (Rev 3:4)

God always preserves a remnant people! And what is promised to them?

"They will walk with Me, dressed in white, for they are worthy." (Rev. 3:4)

Those who continually seek after God's face and a closer relationship with Him are promised that they will be dressed in white, a reference to the book of Isaiah:

"'Come now, and let us reason together,' says the Lord, 'Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.'" (Isa 1:18 NKJV); and "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness..." (Isa 61:10 NKJV)

To be dressed in white means we are forgiven! Our sin is removed from us! We are covered in the robe of Christ's righteousness!

But perhaps the most beautiful part of this promise is this: "They will walk with Me..." (Rev. 3:4)

Friends, there is no greater honour to be sought than to walk and talk with God! And that gift is ours. All we have to do is seek it!

And what about those who turn back to God? "He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and His angels." (Rev. 3:5)

Now I think that's a promise worth working towards, don't you?

Friends, the letter to the church of Sardis should shake us up! It should light a fire in our hearts to want to seek Him more and more! For when we do, we will truly walk with God, covered in His Robe of Righteousness!

Join us next week for Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 7: To the Church in Philadelphia.
In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. * Taken from commentary given in The Archaeological Study Bible, New International Version, Copyright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, pages 2050.

Announcement:

Would you like to make a difference in the world? Why not join the Answers2Prayer Ministry team? We have many volunteer positions. By joining in, you can help in carrying out the Great Commission: "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in Heaven and on Earth have been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" (Matt. 28:18-20 NIV)The time is right and we are in need of many laborers. "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matt 9:37-38 NIV)If you feel compelled, let us know by sending us an email.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm

February 14, 2013
Fulfilled: Written on the Heart, Part 6

By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in Written on the Heart, Part 5, we saw that God's choice of lifestyle for us is demonstrated in Jesus. But do we reflect Jesus and learn His lifestyle?

A simple story of fulfilling the law is driving down the road to the shop. If I hold a license, and keep to the rules imposed for drivers, I fulfill the law. What the law demands it gets.

My perfect driving does not do away with the law; and the law always imposes a penalty even if I break it after a dozen times of a perfect record. So if I swerve to the wrong side of the road to avoid hitting a child and end upside-down, the law will judge my lawbreaking, not the consequences I may suffer.

I may have to live in a wheelchair for the rest of my life but that is a consequence, not a penalty.

We may suffer difficult, sad, or tragic consequences because we break a law, even if it is broken inadvertently, but the penalty for breaking the law is separate to consequences. Broken law automatically condemns and penalty must be paid.

God clearly said that any departure from His commandments was death. "You will die..." He said to Adam and Eve because the very first law is "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." (Exodus 20:3)

Tragically, in the Garden, Adam and Eve listened to another voice above the voice of God and they believed a voice other than God's. They knew they had broken the law and incurred the eternal death penalty because of the law written on their hearts.

But, right in there, the grace of God is also heard in the law. The Lord included grace when He wrote the law of his heart on stone, too, Exodus 20:6: "shewing mercy unto thousands [of generations] of them that love me and keep my commandments."

He demonstrated His grace in the slaying of a sacrifice to cover Adam and Eve in the Garden. They suffered the consequences of breaking the law, and yes, the whole of humanity suffers the consequences.

Meanwhile, by grace, the Lamb that was promised would take the penalty so that all who believe in Him will be resurrected from eternal death to eternal life. "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world..." (John 1:36).

He has dealt with your law breaking. You must not confuse the penalty for law breaking with the consequence of law breaking because soon He will descend from heaven with the voice of the archangel and the "dead in Christ shall rise first..." (1st Thessalonians 4:16). Remember, He said because "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10). We can all live abundantly inside the law!

Would you share a prayer with me, please? "Father, Your love in the gift of forgiveness lights the steps of Your law that leads to union with our Saviour. Thank You for abundant light that lights us home. Help us to walk in that light! Amen."

Elizabeth Price

But is walking in His light something God desires of us? Please join us next week for Written on the Heart, Part 7.
Announcement:

Happy Valentine's Day! Let's all remember, on this day of chocolates and hearts, that there is only One who is worthy of our total devotion and love, and He wants to be your Valentine!What lessons do the letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation have to teach us? Join us on Saturdays and find out!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 12, 2013
Checkmate ... Pal! Part 2
By Answers2Prayer

Continuing with our series on the "Chess game" between God's people and the Father of all lies, today let's focus on the lies the Enemy uses on those who have not yet accepted God's redemptive love to ensure, they remain in "unsaved" condition ...

1. Evolution:
When the Bible speaks about Creation of man in His own image (Gen 1:27) by involution (Gen 2:7), the Father of all lies readily sells the biggest lie about Evolution, putting the simple-minded tragically on the path of spiritual degenerative devolution! Even recently, there was News in the media about the buses in London being plastered with the sleazy slogan, "There is probably no God, now stop worrying and enjoy life". Now who is to share with my atheist friends the experience of every saved sinner that God not only exists but He himself is the source of all lasting joy (John 15:11) as the Psalmist would readily testify "Oh taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8)?

Is there a very empirical test for those with a "scientific bent of mind" to examine for themselves that all what the Bible says about Adam's spotless creation (innocent and holy was he as little children, who dash about naked merrily in our homes, even as their hearts are completely pure) and his fall into sin are all true? They would have to just look at their natural inclination to "cloth themselves" and the truth as to why such an innate tendency is there in us all -explained by the Bible (Genesis 3:7) would dawn upon them. Even in the atheists/pro-evolutionists conference, is not everyone immaculately dressed? One wonders why none in defiance of Genesis 3:7, walks around naked, even in the atheists' or pro-evolutionists' meetings! I say this not in contempt but with utmost concern in my hearts for their souls.

More than anything else, I would request the atheists and the Darwin supporters to test the Lord themselves by praying sincerely to Him in the hour of their need and "taste" the answers for themselves! 2. Generalization:Hey all religious roads lead to one God! This is yet, another lie, which the Father of all lies sells with deadly effect to the easily deceived souls (Proverbs 14:12). Either Jesus was a liar himself or the really the Saviour of all when He declared "I am the way, the Truth and the life" (John 14:6! Would not the truth be clear as daylight when we consider the fact that the one who made this stupendous statement was a holy, sinless person with no guile right from the womb to the tomb(John 8:46). Jesus is not one of the many ways to God but the one and only way! Period.

Look at what Jesus also taught, "I am the vine and you are branches ... You cannot do anything apart from ME" (John 15:5)! Without Christ indwelling us in spirit (Romans 8:9), we who are all "connected" to the fallen and sinful Adam (talk of Genetics and transmission of sinful traits from father to a offspring) cannot by our own strength lead a HOLY life abounding in good deeds! Self-confessed hopeless struggle of Paul to escape from the clutches of sin is pointer to this fact (Romans 7:14-25). Yes, how can we be indifferent to the great salvation plan of God in Christ and hope to escape the Divine wrath (Heb 2:3)? The specific truth (not a generalized one) is that on the Great day of Judgment, many would be judged not as much for sinning, as for not depending on Him, for escaping the allurements of sin...not as much for not doing good as for not leaning upon His strength for doing good. A greater sin than any act of committing sin is trying not to sin without depending on the Savior's power! Anyone who cannot comprehend this truth, the Bible declares "has been blinded by...who else...the Father of all lies." (2 Corinthians 4:4)! Prayer: Father, we pray for all the unsaved ones' who are reading this piece that their hearts would be quickened by Your spirit and that they would hand over the reins of their lives into Your hands. In Jesus' Name. Amen. Please join us next Tuesday for CHECKMATE, Part 3!

Suresh Manoharan J and SM Ministries
Announcement:

Join us on Thursdays through February and March for Written on the Heart! A Miniseries by Elizabeth Price, designed to help us discern what God truly wants the most from us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 08 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 7, 2013
The Reflection: Written on the Heart, Part 5
By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in Written on the Heart, Part 4, we saw that God reveals His lifestyle for us through His Word. He writes these thoughts on our hearts. How can we most easily learn to reflect that lifestyle?

An elderly lady talked with me after she had been to a rare family gathering. Her family is well scattered and on this occasion they were seated together for a meal at a round table.

She was particularly interested in a middle-aged man she had not seen for many, many years and listened intently to smatterings of things about him that came through in the conversations.

Her interest was intense because, although his grandfather had died in the lad's early school days, he was so like his grandfather. Even the younger man's looks and work and habits reflected his grandfather's, as though they had the same heart and mind.

Strangely, she said to me, "He was living the same life as his grandfather lived. It was as though he threw light on his grandfather."

She opened up some far-reaching thoughts of my own because I read somewhere that a meaning of the word light, is "to make one's thoughts known." We use it that way when something is difficult and we say, "let's throw some light on the subject," and we reach for the dictionary.Interestingly, the very first spoken words of God on our planet were, "Let there be light..." (Gen. 1:3).Reading Scripture, I discovered that the same word for light is sometimes used in Psalms and by the Prophets. The Lord is quoted that "light is sown for the righteous..." (Ps. 97:11) and he has called the righteous "for a light to the gentiles..." (Is 42:6) and "The Lord shall be thine everlasting light." (Is 60:20)

When Hosea was speaking to his people, he said the Lord "had slain them by the words of my mouth" and then he said, "Thy judgments are as the light that goeth forth." (Hosea 6:5).

Clearly, when God said let there be light, and "let us make man in our image..." (Gen 1:26), He wrote his love and his judgments into Adam's very being. God did not create an empty heart or an empty mind. He filled heart and mind with illumination.

And isn't it interesting that using light in the same way, Jesus said in his sermon to his people, "Ye are the light of the world." (Matthew 5:14).

The heart of Adam before the fall reflected God, as the younger man's heart reflected his grandfather. And God's choice for us is demonstrated in Jesus. Let's resolve to reflect God's choice for us today.

Elizabeth Price

But how can we learn to reflect Jesus and learn His lifestyle? Please join us next week for Written on the Heart, Part 6.
Announcement:
What lessons do the letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation have to teach us? Join us on Saturdays and find out!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:08 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 5, 2013
Checkmate ... Pal! Part 1
By Answers2Prayer

"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Eph 6:11-12)

World Chess champion Viswanathan Anand from India, right, shakes hand with Boris Gelfand of Israel after defeating him at the FIDE World Chess Championship tie break match at Moscow's Tretyakovsky State Gallery, Russia, Wednesday, May 30, 2012 It's been Chess all the way in the Indian media and the International sports media at large in the last few days what with the Indian Chess champion, Vishy Anand, retaining the World Chess championship crown against a formidable foe, Boris Gelfand of Israel (a Russian who has taken Israeli citizenship). It was a classic battle going right down to the wire, with the Indian champ to use the racing parlance piping his adversary finally at the post. For someone who has enjoyed this mind game of 64 squares from childhood, besides squaring off with wily ole foe (devil many a time) for 29 (at the time of this writing) years of my Christian life, immediately some parallels between temptations in spiritual life and a game of chess was bound to emerge. So here goes ... all in the spirit of weaving spiritual truths around contemporary events (a la Master -- Luke 13:1-5)!!! Christian life is much like a chess game, when the good Lord allows the devil to tempt us. At this stage, it would serve us well to get the co-ordinates right about the meaning of the word "temptation". Temptation of the world, flesh or Satan directly is an enticement into lawlessness (I John 3:4). To put it more simply, temptation is an enticing invitation to do anything (it may be an action or even inaction -- James 4:17) against God's will.

Permit me to sidetrack a bit, ideally, when we intend to please the Lord and make it our primary objective, the devil stands defeated by default. I still remember my days of youth, when there were some phases in my life, during which I would be spending long hours in prayer, virtually "romancing my Creator" enjoying Him to the hilt. At that time the temptations of the flesh (bane of many a youngster -- 2 Tim 2:22) would simply disappear, so much so I used to wonder why there have been no temptations of the flesh for so many days and then smile to myself soliloquizing oh, it is because I am so close to my Lord. That I would resist the temptations (James 4:7), once they came eventually, is another matter altogether. However, at times the good Lord permits the Evil One to tempt us keeping our eventual welfare in His mind (I Peter 1:6-9). Remember, even the Son of God was not exempted from undergoing temptations (Matt 4:1-11). Now this brings us to spiritual game of chess. Taking on scheming Satan is not so much about engaging him physically as it is about taking him on mentally. A mind well-grounded in the Scriptures (Psalm 1:2) is ideally well-equipped to see through the wiles of the foxy foe.

Let it be said at this stage of the Father of all lies (John 8:44) that in his "tool-kit of tricks, the LIE is the only handle which can fit all his tools". No wonder, God's word exhorts us to "not to be unaware of his schemes" (2 Cor 2:11), in order that we can be on guard always. So what are his sly schemes built on lies, everyone (the saved and the unsaved ones) need to be wary of? Stealthy acts, which can do us infinitely more damage than our opponents in a chess game can do. In this Series of four parts (the one of today and the other three in the anvil including three) let's have a look at the lies he uses on those who have never tasted God's redemptive love and those who have. Prayer: Father, we depend upon Thee to see through the crafty moves of the enemy of our souls. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan J and SM Ministries
Announcement:

Join us on Thursdays through February and March for Written on the Heart! A Miniseries by Elizabeth Price, designed to help us discern what God truly wants the most from us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 03 Feb 2013, 7:24 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 2, 2013
To the Church in Pergamos: Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 4 By Answers2Prayer

"To the angel of the church in Pergamum write..." (Rev. 2:12 NIV)
Pergamos, also called Pergamum in some translations, meant "Citadel". It is now known by its modern name, Bergama. It is located about 15 miles inland and is situated on a hill about 1000 feet above the surrounding valley of Caicus. Pergamos was the capital of the region, and is also known for a library that was found to rival the one in Alexandrea. In fact, parchment was invented in Pergamos.*

In His address to the church in Pergamos, the attribute of Himself that Jesus emphasizes is the sharp, double-edged sword: "These are the words of Him who has the sharp, double-edged sword." (Rev. 2:12 NIV).

Interestingly, a two-edged sword is described as proceeding from the mouth of Jesus in Rev. 2:16, representing divine judgement.* In using this symbolism, Jesus is reminding the church here that it is He who brings about divine judgement!

The commendations of the church in Pergamos are sweet:

1. "I know where you live--where Satan has his throne..." (Rev. 2:13a NIV)

Pergamos was known for its worship of Asclepius and Zeus. The former was represented by a symbol of a twisted serpent, and this symbol could be found throughout Pergamenian culture, even on their coins. On a crag above the city once stood a thronelike altar to Zeus. The altar was decorated with monsters with snake-like tails and can now be found in a museum in Berlin. In this town, Zeus was celebrated as "Zeus the Savior".

2. "Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in Me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city--where Satan lives." (Rev. 2:13b NIV)

In His address to this church, Jesus recognizes that the life of the Pergamos Christian wasn't simple. To live so close to paganism breeds persecution. Antipas, the first to be martyred in Asia, was, according to tradition, slowly roasted to death in a bronze kettle during the reign of Domitian (A.D. 81-96)*. Yet despite the evil influences and despite the persecution, the church did not renounce their faith, and for this they are highly commended.

Nevertheless, God has something against them: "You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idols and by committing sexual immorality. Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans." (Rev. 2:14,15 NIV)

Balaam was the prophet in the Old Testament employed by Balak of the Moabites to curse Israel. When Balaam was only able to speak the words God of blessing to Israel, he later enticed Israel to commit sexual immorality with the people of Moab, and to eat food sacrificed to idols (See Num. 22-25), thus compromising God's holy law. The Nicolaitans taught that it was okay to compromise your beliefs, for you are forgiven anyway**. Thus, these references would indicate that the Christians of Pergamos were compromising.

So what were they to do?

They were to repent by standing against these compromises, against this mixing of paganism with Christianity, against this watering down of the Gospel with heathenism. And if they didn't, they would feel the "sword of my mouth" (Rev. 2:16 NIV) -- Divine judgement against them!

Then comes the beautiful promise: "To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it." (Rev. 2:17 NIV)

The hidden manna likely refers back to John 6:49 NIV*: "Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from Heaven, which a man may eat and not die...This bread is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." We also know from archaeology and history that certain kinds of stones were used as tokens for various purposes. In the context of a Messianic banquet, the white stone was probably for the purpose of admission. Finally, we know that when an ancient king named someone, he was claiming dominion or ownership over that individual (See Dan 1:7 NIV; Gen 1:5;17:5,15.)*

So Jesus is saying that those who overcome the sin of compromise will receive of Christ's body, Salvation. They will gain legal entrance to the Banquet hall of the King, and God Himself will claim dominion over them.

What a beautiful promise!

So what does this mean for us?

Are we not, also, surrounded by sin? Doesn't the fruit of evil grow rampant around each of us? Have we allowed compromise to creep into our worship? Maybe it doesn't look the same as in the church of Pergamos, but when we move even a fraction of an inch from the convictions God has given us, we compromise!

Friends, this letter is an appeal to the church of today to do away with compromise! For if we don't, we incite God's divine judgement! But if we do, our reward is fellowship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

Join us next week for Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 5: To the Church in Thyatira.
In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.

* Taken from commentary given in The Archaeological Study Bible, New International Version, Copyright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, pages 4, 2047, 2049.

** Taken from commentary given in The Archaeological Study Bible, New International Version, Copywright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, pages 2047

Announcement:
Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Check out the mini-series, "Of Elect and Select"!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:34 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
January 29, 2013
The Cuckoo Clock: Cancer Experiences, Part 5

By Answers2Prayer
"And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice." (1 Kings 19:11,12 NKJV) I couldn't figure out what had gone wrong. The day had started out with a beautiful hour with God, and I had left my "prayer closet" so ready to face the day. And the day before I had received a major answer to prayer. I had seen the oncologist, and I had learned that I wouldn't have to finish up my recent cancer experience with Chemotherapy or radiation therapy! I would simply have to take some medication for the next 5 years!

The problem was, I really didn't want to take that medication. I had read the list of side-effects, and, well, "thanks for no chemo, Lord, but I didn't sign on for this medication, either!" And then "things" started to happen. The men in my family were still in bed at 11:00 am for one thing. Didn't they know they were sleeping away the best part of the day? And perhaps, didn't God know I would have liked to have slept that late, too?

And the miracle of oncology began to erase itself from my mind.

I felt impressed to write a couple of devotionals, but instead I picked up my Sudoku magazine. Why should they get to relax, when I had to "work"? An hour later, I put the magazine down, completely frustrated with myself for my waste of time, but especially, completely frustrated at the men for not being downstairs yet.

Nagging at the back of my mind was that trip to the pharmacy to fill the prescription. But I had read the possible side effects of that medication, and I didn't want it!

Aren't you happy about no chemotherapy?

Of course, Lord, thanks! But I really don't want this medication, either!

I decided to work on updating my website. I'd been having some problems with my site, and my husband had suggested the use of a new program. I hated it before I even touched it. It was "new" and, thus, "suspect". And it didn't help when, for no apparent reason, the program began erasing my files.

My husband, who was finally up, saw I was frustrated and came over to help. Ahhh! Finally a human I could throw my frustration at! I didn't mince any words about what I thought about the program, and I must have also thrown in a few barbs thrown at the one who had given it to me as well, for he pulled away looking much like a hurt puppy.

By this time, all I wanted to do was cry. I decided to do what I always do when I'm feeling down. I pulled out my MP3 player to listen to praise music, but it froze after the first song and nothing I could do would make it play again.

And I saw the prescription on the counter. Again!

I ignored it. Again! I started to make brunch instead. But every cupboard that I opened spilled back its contents at me, and I couldn't find my recipes.

The washer stopped then, and I took a break to hang the laundry. But every piece of laundry was wrong side out! I started to cry in frustration. Why is this all happening to me?

Things went from bad to worse from there. Whatever it was I needed seemed to roll out of my reach; my keys slid to the darkest, deepest crevices of my purse; I became aware of even more erased files from my website... But perhaps the kicker happened when I went to fill my prescription. My son had picked up a screw in the tire of my car the night before, resulting in a flat. I drove into town on the spare, with the flat tire in the trunk. I figured I could get the tire fixed and remounted on the car while my prescription was being filled. But on completion of those two tasks, the tire shop couldn't seem to remember that I had asked them to put the tire back on my car...

I really didn't feel like waiting. When I got home, however, I would learn that the repaired tire wasn't even in the car! It was still back at the repair shop!

It was, in all, a very frustrating day!

If you stop and listen on the main level of my home, you will hear the ticking of four clocks. Three of them tick in synch, faithfully marking each passing second. Unfortunately, you have to listen very hard for these three clocks because they are drowned out by the Cuckoo clock. The Cuckoo clock also keeps perfect time, but its loud ticking is just slightly off. It gives, for example, 70 ticks per minute instead of the expected 60.

As I sat in my living room that evening, reviewing my day, I could hear the loud ticking of the Cuckoo clock. Then suddenly, I knew what had gone wrong with my day! You see, God's voice is like the three quiet clocks. It is the still, small one that you have to concentrate to hear. But there is another voice in our minds, one that, just like the Cuckoo Clock, is loud and booming, and one that, just like the Cuckoo Clock, isn't completely in synch with Truth! I realized then that I had been listening to the "Cuckoo clock" all day. I had let the nagging worries over the side effects of my prescribed medication completely drowned out the voice of my Lord and Savoir, the One who had already brought me through breast cancer victorious, the One who had taken away the need for chemotherapy and radiation therapy. And by listening to the "Cuckoo clock" ticking of the devil, I had opened the door for the enemy forces to overtake me.

Whatever worry you have nagging at your mind, why not stop to see if it is ticking in synch with Truth? And if it isn't, then focus instead on the still, small voice, the One who brings about miracle upon miracle, and let His voice of Truth overwrite everything the enemy is trying to plant in your minds!
This is the last edition of the Cancer Experiences series. If you are interested in reading the complete story, I invite you to do so by clicking here. May God bless each of you abundantly as you allow Him to carry you through the valleys of your lives!
In His love,

Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.
Announcement:

Join us on Tuesdays in February to find out clues on how to "Checkmate" the enemy: Checkmate! A Mini-series by Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:56 pm

Welcome to the Nugget January 26, 2013
Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 3: To the Church in Smyrna By Answers2Prayer

"To the angel of the church in Smyrna write..." (Rev. 2:8a)

Smyrna, in John's day, was a port on the western coast of Asia, and it remains a great city, even today, known by its modern Turkish name, "Izmir". Due to its location at the head of the gulf, it boasted a well-protected harbour and was a natural terminal of inland trade. Historically, Symrna was famous for science, medicine and the majesty of its buildings.*

In Jesus' address to this church, He identifies Himself as being "the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life." (Rev. 2:8). Thus the attribute of Himself that Jesus wishes to emphasize is His authority over sin and death. He is the first fruit of the resurrection!

Jesus then continues with the commendation: "I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan." (Rev. 2:9)

Of note is that history tells us the church of Smyrna was heavily persecuted. In fact, a bishop of Smyrna who had been a disciple of John, Polycarp by name, was martyred in this city in A.D. 155.* It is with a foreknowledge of what would come that Jesus says these words, and as a result, this is the message of Jesus to every persecuted Christian today! God knows your works! He sees your tribulation, and He recognizes your poverty! Nonetheless, because of these things, you can consider yourselves rich! Did Jesus not say, "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:12)? Did He not say, "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matt 5:10-12 NKJV)?

But this message is not only for the persecuted church, for there are many Christians who do not live in places where Christians are persecuted and this message is still for each of us! Whenever we find yourselves in the midst of trials and problems, let's remember the message to the Church in Smyrna: Though we have troubles, we "are rich"! Those who speak evil against us are of "a synagogue of Satan"!

Jesus goes on to warn the church that persecution will last a while longer, but that it will not be forever: "Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days." (Rev. 2:10 NKJV)

We can take great courage in these words. Whatever it is we're going through will have an end! It won't last forever!

And Jesus also gives us a picture here of why the trouble is being allowed! It is so that we may be tested! And once we emerge from our time of testing, we will be refined by fire (See Mal. 3:2)!

And then comes the promise: "Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death." (Rev 2:8-11 NKJV)

Remember the attribute of Jesus brought forth in this letter? "the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life" (Rev. 2:8)

Jesus holds the keys to both death and life! In the authority given to Him by His death and resurrection, He can say with all Truth: If we hold on, even until death on this earth, we will receive The Crown of Life and we will not be hurt by the second death!

In other words, we will be part of the living multitude, destined to live for eternity with Jesus!

Isn't that the best prize of all?

Remember, the triumphant lion is represented by a slain lamb! The last will be first! No matter what form our persecution takes, we can take heart from the letter to the Church of Smyrna! Our persecution will not last forever, and if we are faithful to Jesus through it all, we will receive the crown of life, and we will not need to fear the second death!

No matter what our troubles are today, let's hold on to Jesus! He will give us the strength to get through, and oh, how glorious the prize!

Join us next week for Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 4: To the Church in Pergamos.

In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.

* Taken from commentary given in The Archaeological Study Bible, New International Version, Copywright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, pages 2047.

Announcement:
Many of you have written in asking about my recent experience with Breast Cancer, and I want to thank each of you for caring, and especially for your prayers. The Nugget will be featuring other parts of my cancer experience in the Tuesday editions in January. We welcome you to join us!
Lyn Chaffart, Moderator for The Nugget

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:55 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
January 24, 2013
Purpose and Peace: Written on the Heart, Part 3

By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in Written on the Heart, Part 2, we learned that it is through God's Word that He walks and talks to us. We can't take our spiritual walk seriously without it. But just how does God's Word do that? How does it speak to us?

The Train Driver described the journey he takes on a steep and potentially dangerous track from beyond the mountains down to the coastal terminal.

Undulating dairy country rolled away.

He said quietly, "Undulating dairy country rolled away to the horizon and every now and then, the driver regulated the speed on the varying up and down grades."

He tested his air brakes on the downhill grades to ensure safety on the steep decline he would face further along the track.

As the train topped the mountain range it was as though a scenic window flew open. The mists and fogs rose silently from the deep valleys to welcome a golden sun rising from the distant ocean.

The peace was shattered with a radio message giving the all-clear that the stoppage area of the grade ahead was safe to travel.

As the track wound its way through cuttings and gorges, the driver concentrated on the speed and grades on his train. Reaching the point of no return from a steeply descending grade, the driver brings his train to a stand in order to conduct the final holding test on his brakes. This test would tell the driver that his train is safe for the steep descent ahead.

The driver pauses, waiting for the air to build up and the brakes to release. He looks out the window at a quiet stream of clear mountain water running beside the train track. It reminds him of Elijah when God led him to a quiet place where there was clean water and ravens to bring him food.

The Driver went on to say that Elijah knew he was there for a purpose. Just so, the Driver knew he was brought to this place for a purpose. He was at peace like Elijah when he was led to a quiet mountain stream to dwell for a time, and just as Jesus was when "he departed into a mountain apart to pray." (Mark 6:46).

And so the Driver, with a feeling that both Elijah and Jesus nodded their unspoken approval, said a silent prayer there by the mountain stream for the dangerous descent ahead.

Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we have followed the track provided by God through Scripture and paused to find peace in the quiet places he has provided.Elizabeth Price
Please join us next week for Written on the Heart, Part 4 to learn what kinds of things God wishes to write on our hearts.

Announcement:

What lessons do the letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation have to teach us? Join us on Saturdays and find out!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget January 22, 2013
The Standstill: Cancer Experiences, Part 4 By Answers2Prayer

"...rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer..." (Romans 12:12)

The year was 1981, and it was my first trip to Europe. I had taken the ferry from England to Belgium, and I was on my way via train to Munich, Germany. I spoke only one language at the time, English, and in those days, English wasn't as widely spoken in Europe as it is today. So when my train jerked to a halt in the middle of the night, my coach was unhooked, and the rest of the train took off, leaving me and my coach behind, I was more than a little perplexed.

I tried to asked my fellow passengers, but to no avail. They didn't speak English. I must say that I passed through some pretty stressful moments before another train came along, hooked itself to my coach, and we continued down the rails.

The interesting thing was, my fellow passengers didn't seem nearly as stressed out by the little delay as I was. Was it possible they knew something I didn't?

Isn't it true that as long as whatever path we are taking in life follows an expected course, we don't tend to stress about it? But the moment things appear to come to a standstill, we panic. And when my spiritual Train came to a standstill, three days after surgery, guess what I did...

I awoke that morning feeling frustrated and confused. Why was I so tired? Where had all of my innate energy gone? Shouldn't I be bouncing back a bit quicker than this?

Rob told me it was normal. After all, I had just undergone major surgery. But no one had warned me I would feel so drained, so completely unable to do anything!

I've always been a person who could push myself to the maximum, and I have always found that even when I'm completely at the end of my reserves, there is always enough to accomplish the task at hand. But now, for the first time in my life, there simply were no hidden reserves!

As the morning went on, I became more and more melancholic. I ate breakfast and then took a nap. Rob helped me get dressed and brush my hair and teeth, and then I took a nap. I drank some water, and then I took a nap. But those naps didn't serve to rebuild any energy!

It was Sunday, and I truly would have liked to have been at church rather than napping in my recliner. Rob knew this, and striving to lift my spirit, he pulled together a little church service. He called up a song on You-tube, a song I knew well, and asked me to sing it with him, and God began speaking to me through the words. Hey! It might be true that I didn't have any energy, but I would rise up from my stupor. I would be energetic again!

Next he read me an inspirational story that he had just written. The setting was Normandy, France, and the year, 1944. It was the day the allied troops did the impossible by breaking through the Atlantic Wall and taking five different beaches in Normandy, France. Up until that point, the war had looked hopelessly lost. But after this one day of victory, the tide turned in the favour of the Allied forces.

The story then shifted to the crossing of the Red Sea. How trapped the Israelites must have felt, with an army on one side and a vast sea of water on the other. But God gave them victory! He opened the Red Sea for Israel, just as He opened the Normandy Beaches for the Allied troops! And God's message to me was clear: He would also open the door for me to get my energy back.

Later that same day, as I was preparing to send out the Nugget, I happened to notice that it was a story I had written years earlier, inspired by a run down a dark country road. During that run, every time I looked out over the darkness of the fields bordering the road, I would become disoriented and my steps would veer towards the ditch that separated me from those fields. But if I forced myself to keep my eyes on the streetlight at the end of this long country block, I would stay on the road and my steps would go straight towards the end.

As I re-read this story, it spoke to me strongly: In my frustration over my lack of energy, I had taken my eyes off of my light, Jesus Christ! I had allowed myself to look out over the dark fields of the unknown!

Slowly I began to understand. God wasn't abandoning me to my fatigue. He hadn't unhooked His Engine from my coach. He hadn't left me in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country without knowing the language. It was simply a little "bump" in the track. I hadn't anticipated it, true enough, but just like the other passengers on that coach were not at all upset by the fact that we had been left behind, I also didn't need to worry. God wasn't there to just take care of my surgery. He was also there to help me through these very moments of no energy! He would hold me up! He would hold me together! All I had to do was stay on the Train!

I am happy to say that this was the last day I spent complaining about my lack of energy. I learned to patiently take each day as a new challenge, and little by little, my energy began to rebuild.

I hope I have learned something through all of this. I hope I have learned that I should never push myself to the limits of my energy reserves, for maybe, just maybe, that's why I suffer from so many stress symptoms!

Do you think?

In His love,

Lyn

Announcement:
Join us in on Thursdays for Written on the Heart, a Mini-Series by Elizabeth Price focussed on helping us to discern what God truly wants the most from us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:24 am

Welcome to the Nugget January 19, 2013
Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 2: The Church of Ephesus By Answers2Prayer

"To the angel of the church of Ephesus write..." (Rev. 2:1a)

Ephesus was considered to be the capital of the region referred to in the Bible as "Asia". It was also the centre of Paul's missionary work.* Thus it would be critical that the church of Ephesus truly shine as an example to all churches, and the message to the church of Ephesus is for anyone in the position of being an example for others.

Now before you write this off as "it's not for me, I'm not a pastor or a leader", consider that we are all called to shine forth as examples: In our homes, our work places, our pastimes and in our churches! This message speaks to each of us!

The attributes of Himself that Jesus wanted emphasised to this church are interesting: "To the angel of the church of Ephesus write, 'These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands...'" (Rev. 2:1)

In this letter, Jesus identifies Himself as the One who "holds the seven stars". We know that the seven stars represent the angels to the seven churches (See Rev. 1:20), therefore Jesus is telling us that the message isn't from the messenger, the angels, but rather, from the One who controls the angels. The message comes right from the top!

Jesus also identifies Himself as the one who "walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands". The seven golden lampstands represent the seven churches, the seven beacons for Jesus (See Rev. 1:20). Jesus is reminding us that He walks among us! He knows. He is eye-witness to everything that happens, and therefore, He has the authority to administer the correction in the letter!

Jesus starts out with the positives, and the list of things Jesus is proud of in the Ephesian church is extensive. Let's take a look:

1. "I know your works, your labor..." (Rev. 2:2)

This is a church who works hard for the Lord!

2. "...your patience..." (Rev 2:2); "...and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name's sake and have not become weary." (Rev 2:3)

They are also a patient church, working through adversity, ever steadily working towards the ultimate goal!

3. "...that you cannot bear those who are evil." (Rev. 2:2)

The church of Ephesus did not tolerate evil, but worked hard to keep itself pure!

4. "And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars..." (Rev. 2:2,3)

They took no one at face value, testing everyone who claimed to come in Jesus name.

5. "...you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate." (Rev. 2:6)

The Nicolaitan sect taught that it was okay to offer sacrifices to idols and live in immorality like their pagan neighbors, in other words, to compromise, because they were forgiven.* The church of Ephesus recognized the dangers in this teaching and fought against it.

And for all of these things, they were commended.

There is only one little negative thing mentioned about the church of Ephesus, but it is important enough that if not addressed, it will cause Jesus to remove this church:

"Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love..." (Rev. 2:4)

Hum. And just what is this "first love"?

It's what brought us to Jesus in the first place! It is heartfelt, deepening, broadening love for our Lord and Saviour! It is the personal relationship that the Jesus longs to have with each of us!

Despite the fact that the Ephesian church sounded like it had it together, it had lost track of its ultimate purpose: To fellowship with Jesus Christ!

Does it mean that labouring and doing away with evil are not important? Not at all. The church of Ephesus was commended for these things. But they don't mean anything without that relationship with Jesus! Everything we do in life must stem from that relationship!

Take for example, our patience. It must be drawn from our relationship with God. We want to be patient because He is so patient with us!

And what about our labour for the Lord? It must come from our love for Him! We should want to labour for Him because it pleases Him and He has done so much for us!

And doing away with evil? This should be rooted in the motivation to please our best friend, our Lord and our Saviour, because we have fallen head-over-heels in Love with Him!

It's like a marriage. All the beautiful things we do for our spouses mean nothing to them unless we are first and foremost head-over-heels in love with them!

The church of Ephesus lost track of the importance of relationship, and for this, they were corrected. What about us? Have we also lost our first love? Are we so busy "doing church" that we lose track of our relationship with Jesus? If we have, then we do well to heed this warning:

"Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place -- unless you repent." (Rev. 2:5)!

But then comes the promise: "To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God." (Rev. 2:7) If we heed this message, we will be part of the group of believers restored to the perfect fellowship that existed before sin entered the world! We will eat of the Tree of Life!*

Join us next week for Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 3: To the Church in Smyrna...

In His love,
Lyn

* Taken from commentary given in The Archaeological Study Bible, New International Version, Copywright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, pages 2047.

Announcement:
Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Check out the mini-series, "Of Elect and Select"!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 19 Jan 2013, 12:07 am

Welcome to the Nugget January 17, 2013
The "Me Too" of God: Written on the Heart, Part 2 By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in Written on the Heart, Part 1, we saw that we are called to take a spiritual walk that may lead us into danger, and we must be prepared, as the Train Driver is, on every journey. But how do we become "prepared"?

When my Father spoke, I listened and now, even after many years, I can still hear his voice. Its texture and timbre are imprinted on my mind and heart and, if ever I should hear it I would recognise it instantly. It had a significance to me that nothing else has matched and naturally, I long to hear it again. In harmony with my Father's voice was my Mother's and I can still hear her prayers at night as she taught me by example to talk to God.

I have only sparse recall of most other actual voices in my life so what I have learned is that the first voice of authority gives shape and direction to life.

Our world, the space it occupies and everything in it was greeted with the voice of the Father. Even in the very first chapter of Scripture, the words of God speaking aloud fill sixteen of the thirty-one verses. Isn't that amazing? In all those vast processes, a spoken word explains and validates what is done. It is essential to have a sense of value and direction from the beginning of life and not be left to chance in the hope we will find it somewhere down the track.

"And God said" begins many a verse, or "he called" at the beginning of the verse in order to define events and make them valid. His voice is not insipid and open to question, it is exciting and precise. It has a profound effect on nature and on the creatures he created. He spoke in turn to the living creatures and his first words to living creatures of the ocean and the air were words of blessing. Then he called forth the living creatures of the earth and placed all creatures under the jurisdiction of the man "made in his image." (Gen 1:26)

When He calls Adam and Eve into life, He does not silently walk away, to let nature take its course or to let them develop as they will. He does not leave them to chance, He talks to them as my Father and Mother talked to me.

Again, His first words to them are words of blessing and then He outlays his purpose and direction for their lives so that they need never doubt their position or question their reason for being. Those first words were imprinted on their minds and hearts for all time.

I like a God who talks to us. I particularly like it when He comes talking and I yearn for Him to talk to me, too. And He said, "Me too!" ... "The Word was God" and "the Word was made flesh and dwelt amoung us." (John 1:1, 14). May I hear and remember his very first words because He came walking and talking to us as He did at the beginning. He is the Word, the "Me too" of God.

Elizabeth Price
Please join us next week, for Written on the Heart,, Part 3 for some insight on how God's Word actually speaks to us.

Elizabeth Price
Announcement:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

Welcome to the Nugget
January 15, 2013
Ultimate Rest: Cancer Experiences, Part 3
By Answers2Prayer

The day of my needle biopsy was here, and I wasn't looking forward to it.

A few weeks earlier, God had given me a specific message: I was to go through troubled times, but I wasn't to worry, because He would carry me through every step of the way, and in the end, I would be fine. That very same evening, I found the lump, and I knew in my heart that the "troubled times" would be a little trip through the cancer experience.

But didn't God's promise that in the end I would be fine, didn't that mean the lump would miraculously vanish?

Of course. It had to. And I clung to that promise.

But the lump didn't go away, and when the mammogram showed that it was suspicious for cancer, I was scheduled for a needle biopsy. I continued to pray, claiming my interpretation of God's original promise. I was sure it would be gone the morning of the procedure, and when I went in, they would find nothing to biopsy!

Unfortunately, this wasn't what God meant when He promised me a good final outcome, and when I awoke on the day of my scheduled biopsy, the lump was still there.

I have to admit that I was a bit annoyed at God. He had promised a good outcome from this trial. Why wasn't He coming through for me?

When I opened my Bible that morning, I read a very interesting story.

The setting was the Wilderness of Sin, the timing, just a few days after the incredible exodus from Egypt and the miraculous crossing of the Red Sea. We find the children of Israel grumbling and complaining: "Oh, that we had died by the hand of the Lord in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat and when we ate bread to the full! For you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger." (Ex 16:1-3)

Now we could be quite harsh on the Children of Israel at this point. We could say, "Have you already forgotten how God so miraculously brought you out of Egypt? Don't you realize that the God who could do all of that is big enough to provide food for you in the wilderness?"

But I realized right then and there that I was doing exactly the same thing. I know God's provision is real, yet wasn't I complaining that my prayer hadn't been answered the way I wanted it to be?

God was patient with Israel. He told them, "Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you." (Ex 16:4 NKJV)

But there were a few stipulations. First, the people were only supposed to gather enough for one day, and any leftovers would be full of maggots. Secondly, there would be one day of the week, the "preparation day", when the people were supposed to gather twice as much bread, because the bread wouldn't fall the following day, on the Sabbath (See Exodus 16:5 NKJV).

And sure enough, on the seventh day, there was no bread, and the leftover bread from the "preparation day" was still fresh.

Unfortunately, not everyone believed that their left-over bread from "preparation day" would still be good: "Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none." (Ex. 16:27)

So what was the purpose of no bread falling on the Sabbath day?

God had many important lessons to teach Israel. But the one God brought to my mind that morning was this: He wanted Israel to learn that He was their provision, whether the manna fell or not! He wanted them to understand that even when His provision didn't seem to be present, they could still depend on Him. His provision would simply look different than they had anticipated!

And that was the message God wanted me to hear that morning before my needle biopsy. He wanted me to know that just because I didn't "see" His provision, didn't mean it wasn't there.

Later that morning, as I dressed for work, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I should wear a scarf. I almost didn't do it. It was too hot for a scarf. But in the end I put one on. Then I proceeded to carry God's message for me in my heart as I went through that biopsy.

And God came through. He surrounded me with caring medical professions, He gave me the courage and strength I needed, and in the end, when the bruising and bandages from the biopsy was visible all up my neck, He reminded me that He had suggested a scarf. A scarf to cover it all up so that I could go back to work and no one would ask questions!

And God did not stopped being my provision through the entire breast cancer experience. He was there every step of the way. But didn't He, after all, promise to be my provision? To carry me through?

Friends, whatever it is you are facing, let's remember the manna in the wilderness. God will provide. Period. There will be times when it looks like His provision has run out, but in these times it will just be that His provision does not look the way we anticipate it will! We can rest in the assurance that there is going to be enough for tomorrow! Period! Even when the expected manna doesn't fall!

Will you join me in resting in His provision? Even when that provision doesn't appear to be coming? Just know that He is faithful, and when He doesn't provide what you have asked Him for, He will be faithful to provide for you in so many other, even more beautiful ways!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Join us in on Thursdays for Written on the Heart, a Mini-Series by Elizabeth Price focussed on helping us to discern what God truly wants the most from us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 13 Jan 2013, 6:54 pm

Welcome to the Nugget January 12, 2013
Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 1: Introduction By Answers2Prayer

The book of Revelation: So powerful, yet so mysterious.

The book begins with letters written specifically to seven churches in what was then known as Asia Minor. It is said that in ancient times, the leading council of Asiarchs met each year in a revolving succession of seven cities of Asia Minor: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Cyzicus, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea. Six of these cities were included in John's list, and John replaced the city of Cyzicus, far to the North, with the more central Thyatira.

The churches were located about 50 miles apart, forming a rough circle in Asia. It is thought that these cities may have even been postal centers serving several geographic regions.*

All of the cities still stand, and are now found in modern Turkey. However, according to a missionary couple in Turkey, sponsored by my church, less than 1% of the population in these modern cities are Christian. Thus it can be sadly said that the churches John addressed no longer exist.

But if these letters are addressed to non-existent churches, why do we need to worry about them at all?

Revelation 1 gives us the first clue: "And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands...and the seven lampstands are the seven churches." (Rev. 1:12,20)

The seven-branched lampstand, also called a menorah, has always been a symbol of Judaism. The fact that each of the seven local Christian congregations was symbolized as an entire menorah would have likely suggested to John, the one who wrote Jesus' words, that the messages were for the larger church, the full people of God.* Each of the churches were beacons for God, and since we are part of this larger church, we are each members of "the full people of God", and we are all called to be "beacons" for God, this message addressed to each of us!

When we take a look at who is dictating these letters, we get another clue to their importance:

"Then He placed His right hand on me and said: 'Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.'" (Rev. 1:17b, 18)

Interestingly, in ancient palaces, the one holding the keys was an important official, the only person controlling access into the king's presence. Jesus, in His death on the cross, holds the keys to accessing the Father. He also holds the keys of death and hades. Thus, the One addressing John in this book is none other than Jesus Himself, and when Jesus says it, we can know it is something we need to pay utmost attention to!

So if Jesus is dictating the letters, and if they are meant for the church at large, then they are full of lessons for each of us today.

The very first lesson we can learn comes from examining the order of address. The basic format of each of the letters is the same. Each letter starts off with 1) Who the letter is addressed to. Next, 2) A certain attribute of Jesus is emphasized for each individual church. Then comes, 3) The commendations, then 4) The criticism; and finally, 5) The promise given to "him who overcomes".

After stating who the letter is for, Jesus emphasises His authority by identifying a specific attribute of Himself. It is always a different attribute, and it in contemplation of the attribute of Jesus in each of the areas that the letter gains authority.

Next we find the commendations. We know that most of these letters were written to correct certain behaviours, but before Jesus even mentions the areas to be corrected, He emphasizes the areas that bring Him joy. There is a silly song that says, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..." There is great wisdom in this song!

And then, even after administering the correction, Jesus doesn't leave the churches to contemplate their grave sin. Instead, He wraps up each letter with a promise to anyone who pays attention to the words of correction!

So what is the lesson to be learned?

We often find ourselves in positions where we need to administer correction. As parents, we must correct our rebellious children, as managers, we often deal with errant employees, as pastos, we deal with errant parishioners, and in our relationships, we often have to deal with relational problems. We would do well to follow Jesus' example in these necessary exchanges, by first and foremost making sure that we have the required authority for administering correction, and only proceeding if that authority is truly ours! We would then do well to remind the ones we must correct, first and foremost, that they are loved and appreciated, and that they have many fine qualities. Only then should we bring up the criticisms, and we would do well to follow Jesus' example in wrapping up such exchanges with a promise of what will happen if our words are heeded!

Why not think about this the next time you are required to administer criticism?

The next seven lessons in this series will be looking individually at what each of the seven letters have to teach the church today. Please join us next week for Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 2: The Church in Ephesus.

In His love,
Lyn

* Taken from commentary given in The Archaeological Study Bible, New International Version, Copywright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, pages 2043, 2045-2047.

Announcement:
Happy New Year to all of our Nugget family! May 2013 be a year filled with God's abundant love and blessing, may each of you succeed this year in coming to know Him more, for that is the root of utmost happiness!
As many of you may already know, 2012 was a very different year for me. This was the year that God and I battled Breast Cancer and prevailed. As a special gift to each of you for this new year, I am making the story of my spiritual journey with God through this time available on the Internet: The Train Ride -- A Woman's Spiritual Journey with God Through the Valley of Breasty Cancer.
Happy New Year!
Lyn Chaffart, Moderator and Author, The Nugget.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 12 Jan 2013, 12:58 am

Welcome to the Nugget January 10, 2013
The Train Journey: Written on the Heart, Part 1 By Answers2Prayer
The Train Driver told me, "All heads were turned facing down the railway track as a large freight train loaded with wheat slowly came to a stop in the railway yard for a driver change."

With a fresh crew aboard, the incoming crew stood and watched the trucks slowly rumble past. Their ears were finely tuned for any sounds of grinding metal or escaping steam from the brakes. Their eyes scanned every wagon for any defects.

As the last wagon rolled past, the incoming crew radioed the outgoing crew that all was well.

The crew breathed a sigh of relief that the train had no defects. The driver breathed easier knowing that his trip down the long, steep mountain grades to the coast should be a safe one.

The assistant driver ticked off the paper work. "Everything right, paper work all correct," he told the driver. At ease and confident, the driver sits back, concentrates for one moment on the track ahead, opens the throttle and eases the train up to maximum speed."

At ease and confident, the Driver opens the throttle.

The crew has observed for defects for weaknesses and for necessary corrections. Even though preparation for the journey ahead is routine, it is carried out every time the crew prepares to travel. It can never be taken for granted and there can be no shortcuts. It must be thorough every time the crew is charged with the duty ahead, even after many years of making the same trip.

Now the crew is satisfied and at ease because outward observations have been thorough. All the paper work has been read carefully. It has been understood thoughtfully. It has set strict boundaries with time to check how much fuel is in the tank, and when to pause for refreshment and rest. It has pointed out what lies ahead and where the journey ends. Now it must be put into operation vigilantly if the journey is to proceed according to the manual.

They take their places, alert and focused because "...no man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62).

I wonder if you and I take our journey towards our eternal destination as seriously as the crew takes every train journey?

The Train Driver
and Elizabeth Price
Please join us next Thursday for Written on the Heart, Part 2, The Me-Too of God.
Announcement:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 08 Jan 2013, 11:08 pm

Welcome to the Nugget January 8, 2013
The Wreck of my Car: Cancer Experiences, Part 2 By Answers2Prayer
In a past devotional, I began telling the story of how I have decided to "take the Train" through my recent experience with breast cancer. I decided to let God be the Train Driver, and I would simply rest in His arms as He carried me through.

And for the most part, I succeeded. But as time went on, little things suddenly began to bother me. It was as if the cancer had used up all of my patience/stress reserves, and there was nothing left over for lifels other problems!

I knew I was overreacting, but little things just wouldn't stop pushing me over the edge! Lord, help me!

But that coveted help didn't seem to arrive. In fact, things only got worse. Like, for example, the day my son returned home driving a wreck that had at one time been my beautiful car...!

The unusual dry spell and heat we had been experiencing had caused the dry roads to be covered with a thin layer of oil, and when the rains finally came that Saturday afternoon, they became dangerous for hydroplaning. My son had driven a friend to a local conservation area for some hiking, and as the car crested a hill, it slipped on the wet oil, careened out across the road, out of control, and if it hadn't been for the guardrail, it would have continued its rapid descent into the ravine below.

Thanks be to God, the two were unhurt. The car, however, was not so fortunate. The driver's side was completely wrecked. The front end was smashed beyond recognition, the frame was bent, and the driver's door refused to open more than five centimetres. How the car was still drivable, I'll never know.

I took one look at that wreck and I knew in my heart that the cost of professionally repairing the damage was more than the 10 year-old vehicle with 225,000 kms was worth. My faithful little car was totalled!

I should have just been happy the kids were safe, but all I could think about were the glaring problems: How would we all get to work and back with just the use of the only other vehicle? How could we afford to fix or replace this one? How could we afford the steep increase in insurance that would surely ensure?

Needless to say, I spent the rest of the evening completely stressed out by all of the "how could" questions, and it wasn't until the next morning that God was able to finally get my attention enough to focus on His voice.

And just what did He say?

You're not on the train!

That's when I began to realize that the Train Ride wasn't just about cancer. It was about everything in my life. Could it be that this was why I had been feeling so irritable? Because I was only on the Train for my cancer?

I repented then and there. I gave the entire car scenario, along with everything else I had been stressing about, to Jesus. I put it all on the Train.

Later that day, I learned that the friend's dad and brother do body work on the side. They thought they might be able to improve the looks and drivability of my car!

I had no idea how they would manage this, I had no idea how we would survive while it was away being fixed. But I stayed on the Train.

On Monday, I learned that my surgery was scheduled for later that same week. Wait! That meant we only had to limp through a couple more days, and then we wouldn't even need the second car for awhile!

Our friends were able to find a car of the same make, model and year in a nearby junk yard. Its back end was damaged beyond repair, but the front end was intact. We left our car at their home on Saturday after my surgery, and less than a week later after receiving it, we got the message: The car is ready!

And right on time for numerous medical appointments that were scheduled! In the end, we only paid $370 to repair the car. As this was less than our insurance deductible, we didn't report anything to insurance and my son's driving record was preserved. There would be no increase in rates! All of my original worries, resolved.

But God wasn't finished. I was prepared for the fact that the car wouldn't be all one color anymore. After all, what were the chances that the junked car was silver?

But God doesn't do things halfway. The junk yard car was silver, just like mine! My car was still all one color! To me this things was like frosting on a cake. Unnecessary, but oh, so nice!

But God still wasn't finished. This particular model of car looks great with a hood protector, but as they are expensive and primarily cosmetic, I had never purchased one. Imagine my delight when I saw that my repaired car now had a hood protector!

As I sat back and reflected on this, it occurred to me that God was trying to teach me an important lesson. When I simply put all of my problems into His hands, God doesn't only fix them, He throws in a few bonuses as well!

Friends, whatever it is you are facing, whether big (Medical issues, loss of a loved one or a job, etc.), or small (a wrecked car!), give it to Jesus. Get "on the Train" with me, and let's let God worry about the details!

Is it for nothing that we are told to cast: "...all your care upon Him, for He cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7 NKJV)?

In His love,

Lyn

Announcement:
Many of you have written in asking about my recent experience with Breast Cancer, and I want to thank each of you for caring, and especially for your prayers. The Nugget will be featuring other parts of my cancer experience in the Tuesday editions in January.
As a special gift to each of you for this new year, I am making the story of my spiritual journey with God through Breast Cancer available on the Internet: The Train Ride -- A Woman's Spiritual Journey with God Through the Valley of Breasty Cancer. If you know anyone who might be able to benefit from my story, please feel free to share it with them!
Lyn Chaffart, Moderator for The Nugget
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm

Welcome to the Nugget January 5, 2013
Surprised! Part 2 By Answers2Prayer
When the Foreigners "roll out the red carpet" (figuratively, that is)...
In the previous part of this two-part New Years' series, my readers would have observed how we mortals can "surprise" even the God of surprises for negative reasons. In the concluding part of this series, let's look at how we can surprise our God of surprises for "positive reasons"...Let the Scripture take over...
"And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him, And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented. And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him. The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed. For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, 'Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.'" (Matt 8:5-10 KJV)
Amazing isn't it? The faith of a foreign Roman Centurion took even the God of surprises by surprise. 2000 years later, the unchanging Jesus (Heb 13:8) is ever so willing to unleash His power to help us in our times of need (Psalm 50:15), the question is are we willing to let Him to do it in style, the way the Roman centurion did.
At the beginning of this New Year, how about making the motto of that great Servant of God, William Carey (in his honor, the Indian Government released a stamp in 1993, while the British authorities of his day treated him as "an unnecessary pest"), our own all in the spirit exemplified by that Roman Centurion:
Attempt great things for God
Expect great things from God
No wonder the good Lord entrusted William Carey with the onerous yet stimulating task of translating the English Bible into so many vernacular languages of our Country (read India).
Surprising people around...
When a devout believer can "surprise" the Almighty Himself, he is bound to surprise the people around him too. Consider this Scripture...
"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus." (Acts 4:13 KJV)

What a matter of justifiable pride and joy, it would be (personally) if people marvel at our bold stand for the Lord even while acknowledging that the "power" (it can be in areas such as patience and perseverance too) they see in us is wholly on account of our association with the Saviour!!!

So even as 2013 awaits us with its quota of surprises, let us resolve to "surprise" people around us with our God-dependence traits, and how about surprising even our God of surprises by attempting for His glory those tasks which can be accomplished by His Divine power alone!!! Lord speak one word...nay...just think one thought and my problems would disappear...Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
Join us on Thursdays through the rest of January, and in February, for Written on the Heart, a Mini-Series by Elizabeth Price focussed on helping us to discern what God truly wants the most from us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:37 am

Welcome to the Nugget January 3, 2013
Surprised! Part 1 By Answers2Prayer
First things first. What is the chief and highest end of man? Let the revered Christian Book namely the Westminster catechism give the answer. Man's chief and highest end is to glorify (worship) God, and fully to enjoy him forever. When it comes to glorifying Him and fully enjoying Him, let it be said that the entire exercise ought to be "absolutely genuine emanating right from the innermost core of one's being (read spirit)". This would lead to the next question, how could the process of glorifying Him originate right from the depths of one's heart? It is only possible when a person is truly fascinated by His unique traits. Remember, worshipping God for what He is, is the highest form of worship, standing head and shoulders above other forms of worship, which come with strings attached, such as worshipping Him for the blessings He showers upon us. While on the subject, at this stage it would serve us well to look at the synonym of the word "Glorify":, which is "Magnify". When, one magnifies Him, that is to say, when one keenly observes His Divine nature, with a magnifying glass as it were, the "spiritual explorer" (if you permit me to use this expression) in you is bound to come across several unique attributes of the Almighty, which would evoke awe, and in turn lead to spontaneous, heart-felt worship and praise.

Amongst so many of His noble attributes, one which evokes an instant Hallelujah from me is that our God is a God of surprises!!! While there may not be distinct Scripture portion to this effect such as that which portrays our God as love (1 John 4:8), from the Scriptures we can discern that it is in Him to spring a surprise when least expected. Widowed Ruth who had handed over the reins of her life to the Almighty (Ruth 1:16) may not have expected to meet her future husband when she left her home one morning during the season of Barley harvest (Ruth 2-4) with so many question marks looming over her gloomy future. By the same token the Shunammite lady, worried stiff about her land issue, may not have bargained for the pleasant surprise which greeted her (2 Kings 8:1-6) when she walked into the King's presence (read the hyperlinked Scripture portions before reading any further).

Speaking of surprises, imagine the delight in King Solomon's heart when the good Lord answered his plea for wisdom, guaranteeing so many other blessings besides wisdom (I Kings 3:4-13). Trust the good Lord to give you more than you ask for (Ephesians 3:20)! Any doubts on this score? Ask Peter and co...They never thought, after a disappointing fishing session, that they would net...Not once, but twice as many fish with the help of one who loves to give a surprise...(Luke 5:1-7/John 21:1-11)!!!

Now for the twist in the tale!!! Has it ever occurred to you that we ordinary, mortal men can also end up surprising the God of surprises? Surprised? Let me go on...we can surprise Him both for negative as well as positive reasons. In this series, I would like to present before the readership instances when we can end up surprising the God of surprises...making the Wonderful One Himself (Isaiah 9:6) wonder!!! Time to look at relevant Scripture portions for gleaning some valuable lessons (1 Cor 10:11) on this subject...Firstly...

When our own disappoint...

"And he(Jesus) went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him. And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands. Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him. But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house. And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them. And he marvelled because of their unbelief..." (Mark 6:1-6 KJV)

How true is the saying that familiarity breeds contempt! A true Prophet who is seen as a normal human being day in and day out gets (nine times out of ten) rejected by His own generation, later on however with passage of time, wisdom would dawn upon the next generation (who face no danger from the dead and gone Prophet) that the world had not given its due to that poor Saint. During Jesus' time, Old Testament Prophets who had been persecuted by their contemporaries such as Jeremiah were venerated (passage of time bestows a halo upon the departed Saint) but the Son of God had to swallow the bitter pill of rejection by His own people.

Even mighty miracles and teaching exuding Divine wisdom failed to impress the hard-hearted lot, so much so that it limited the Son of God from performing greater miracles. Lesson within a lesson. The wholesome power the Almighty is willing to unleash is directly proportionate to the faith of the beneficiary. To our own detriment we can end up limiting the power of our Divine benefactor by displaying a distinct lack of trust. The Lord would no doubt marvel, on how the doors can be closed even on One extending a helping hand.

Times have not changed. Though Jesus may not be physically around, His power/wisdom can be seen as clear as daylight in His Servants in whom His Spirit dwells (1 Cor 3:16). However when His genuine ambassadors of the present generation give the altar call hoping that people helplessly drowning in sin would put their hands in the extended Hand of the Saviour oh-so-eager to save them, response mostly is one of negativity and indifference. Surprising, isn't it that the spiritually sick in sin prefer to remain in fallen condition without ever putting themselves under the care of the Divine Doctor!!!

Our Lord of surprises would be just as surprised, if the Born-again Christians, despite receiving several spiritual showers of grace (Heb 6:7-8), show stunted spiritual growth (1 Cor 3:1-3), grossly putting to neglect the elements (prayer, Bible-reading, fellowshipping and witnessing -- See Acts 2:42) which facilitate growth. Worse, the Wonderful One (Isaiah 9:6) would watch in absolute wonder, if the "chosen lot", too, backslide (Galatians 1:6/3:3), ending up in the world of flesh, after having begun their walk with the Lord in Spirit.

Prayer: Father, our lives belong to Thee. You know our frailties. Enable us to "surprise" You for the right reasons. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:
Please note that there was a small but critical error in the New Year's Message that went out in the Nugget on Tuesday, regarding the name of the school in Connecticut where the shootings took place. The school was actually "Sandy Hook Elementary School". Please accept our apologies for the misinformation.
Happy New Year!
Lyn Chaffart, Moderator and Author, The Nugget.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
January 1, 2013
In Memory of the Sandy Hood Elementary School Shooting: New Years' Address, 2013

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe
"So he answered and said, 'You shall love ... your neighbor as yourself.' But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, 'And who is my neighbour?'" (Luke 10:27-29, NKJV)

Have you made your New Years' resolution for 2013 yet? I have, and I would like to invite each of you to join me in mine.

But first, the background...

It was exactly 18 days ago that a 20-year-old armed man named Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hood Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. In the aftermath of his bloody visit, 20 children lay dead, along with 6 adults, including the school's principal. And then the shooter shot himself. In a home a few blocks away, the shooter's mother was lay dead. 28 people gone from this world, in just a few moments of time. December 14, 2012 will definitely be a day that few in North America will ever forget.

What were you doing when you heard of the shooting?

I know what I was doing. I was running down the halls of the hospital where I work, trying to make sure I had all the details wrapped up before I left for the weekend. I just happened to hear it in passing: "There's been another school shooting. In Connecticut."

"Oh, that's horrible," I thought, and then my mind returned immediately to my charting.

My 17 year-old was the next to bring it to my attention. He didn't know any details, but I have to admit to my shame, that I was a bit surprised at how emotionally-laden he looked and sounded as he relayed the news. "It was in Connecticut," I told him, remembering the news I had heard at work. But then my mind went to, "I'm so glad we don't have things like that happening in Canada..." and I returned to the all-important task I was undertaking of cleaning up the basement. After all, if I didn't finish this task right then, my whole schedule for the weekend would be messed up!

It wasn't until later, when my husband looked up the story on the Internet, that the full horror of the happenings finally dawned on me. And then God began to speak, and His words went something like this: "Lyn, that was the worst school shooting in American history. 28 of my beloved children have died a senseless death, and you couldn't even afford to give it a passing thought, despite two different opportunities afforded to you during the day!"

God then transported me in my mind to the homes of those 20 children, homes that just hours earlier had been happily preparing for Christmas, homes where parents had bundled up their precious 5-10 year-olds for school, firmly believing that they were sending them into a safe haven, only to learn hours later that the "safe haven" had become a battlefield. Christmas is ruined for these families, as well as for the families of the 6 others who were also killed!

But God wasn't through with me. He then took me in my mind to the homes of the children who had survived, but would now live in emotional turmoil and fear due to what they have experienced. And then He reminded me that my attitude in the face of any tragedy that doesn't directly affect me is just, plain "laissez-faire"!

Ouch!

But it is oh, too true.

Partially this is a manifestation of innate selfishness: Why bother worrying about something that doesn't even affect me? I have my own problems, after all, and they take up all of my time and energy...

And partially this is a defence mechanism: Carrying the grief of every horrible thing that happens would quickly drag me to the ground!

Before you write off this devotional as being simply the ramblings of a guilt-ridden soul, I would like for you to ask yourself an all-important question: In the face of earthquakes and tsunamis, hurricanes and famines, human trafficking, abortion, murder, terrorism...If it doesn't directly affect you, do you truly care?

Now I know that many of you out there care very deeply indeed. But I can't help but think that this world might be a very different place if we all cared a bit more about the suffering of our fellow human beings, no matter how far away they might live! And perhaps, if we all cared a bit more about others, just maybe, the gospel message wouldn't be so hard to proclaim!

Think about it: With all the natural disasters, the crash of the economy, the atrocities that human beings afflict on one another, isn't this the time to be standing on the rooftops and shouting at the top of our lungs: "Prepare the way of the Lord!"

This is the backdrop for what has become my personal New Years' resolution for 2013: I resolve, with the help of the Lord, to try and reflect His of love to the world in all situations! To truly care about my neighbour, to hurt when they hurt, to do everything in my power to help. And above all, to try to let every one of my actions and words scream out: "The Day of the Lord is near! Prepare the way of the Lord!"

After all, isn't loving our "neighbour" the second of God's great commands?

Will you join me today in this resolution? If you will, then you can be guaranteed that at the end of 2013, this world will be a better place because you let God's love shine through you to the world! And believe it or not, when we put our energy into the suffering of others, our own problems always seem to ease up somehow...

And maybe, if you do join me, the deaths of those innocent victims will not have been for nothing...

Think about it!
In His love,

Lyn

Announcement:

Happy New Year to all of our Nugget family! May 2013 be a year filled with God's abundant love and blessing, may each of you succeed this year in coming to know Him more, for that is the root of utmost happiness! Lyn Chaffart, Moderator and Author, The Nugget.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 30 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget December 29, 2012
The Good Shepherd By Answers2Prayer

"So it was, when the angels had gone away from them into heaven, that the shepherds said to one another, 'let us now go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us.' And they came with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the Babe lying in a manger." (Luke 2:15-16 NKJV)

How fitting that the shepherds should be among the first to visit the newborn Savior. After all, He was one of them. In John 10:11 Jesus said, "I am the Good Shepherd." We can find other parallels between the lowly shepherds and the Good Shepherd as well.

A shepherd cares for a flock or flocks of sheep. He knows them so well he can call them by name. Jesus called His followers His flock. He said "I am the Good Shepherd; and I know My sheep." (John 10:14a and John 21:15-17 NKJV).

A shepherd leads his sheep to water, for they cannot live without water. Like the beastly sheep, we of Jesus' flock need water. Jesus gives us a different kind of water. He gives us Living Water. "On the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, 'If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rives of living water.' But He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive." (John 7:37-39 NKJV).

Sheep have a tendency to stray and risk being attacked by wolves or bears. The shepherd sometimes risks his life to save them. Jesus not only risked His life for His sheep (His followers), but He died for us. Isaiah 53:6 says: "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one, to his own way..." Like the sheep, we too can get ourselves into trouble when we turn away from God. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." (Romans 6:23 NKJV) and "The wages of sin is death." (Romans 6:23 NKJV).

Like the lowly shepherds, the Good Shepherd (Jesus), is not willing to let the "wolves" (Satan) attack us. He willingly gave His life to save us from the penalty of sin. "For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures." (1 Corinthians 15:3-4, NKJV). Glory to God!

That shout of praise brings us back to the stable when Jesus was born. "Then the shepherds returned glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen as it was told them." (Luke 2:20 NKJV).

I'm not sure the beastly sheep glorified the Savior, but the shepherd's did. Shouldn't we, as Jesus' loving flock, do the same, especially during this Christmas season?

Heavenly Father, thank You for sending Jesus, our Good Shepherd. Like the shepherds of old, we bow before Him and glorify His name. Amen.

Donna Howard
Announcement:
Join us in January for Written on the Heart, a Mini-Series by Elizabeth Price focussed on helping us to discern what God truly wants the most from us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:19 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 27, 2012
When Reality Changes...
By Answers2Prayer

It is holiday time, and with more than one friend going through, well, basically - the pits, I've had some extra things on my mind, and prayer list. There was something else prepared to send out this week in Irish Thursdays messages, however I felt impressed to say a few words about this instead. Unfortunately, these friends are, no doubt, not the only ones going through a crisis, tragedy, or tough situation right now. Reality has been changed as people, situations, and things out of our control have changed. Just because it is the Christmas season does not mean it is Pollyanna time.

One has a sibling whose unexpected diagnosis is an advanced cancer, another has had both mother and father pass away this past month. A third has recently been served divorce papers, and yet another, with a young family to support, did not get the hoped-for job after being out of work for over nine months. Their feelings, and thoughts, are running the gamut of grief, fear, separation and loss, and rejection, to name a few.

What about the "Ho ho ho" season? Certainly there is never a good time for tragedy or crisis, but if ever there is no good time it is at Christmas. When our reality changes, we can become frozen, and temporarily forget everything we know about God like that He is still faithful, that He still loves and cares about us, that He is in the midst of the situation. Yet, He is in the midst of our situations.

Just as the sun rises and sets, as certain as anything ever could be, so is God who He says He is -- faithful, constant, caring, and present with us. Skies get cloudy, we have wind and storms -- from mild showers to all out raging hurricanes -- but the sun comes up every morning. In the first chapter of the book of James, the Bible says that God who is "the Father of the heavenly lights...does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17). That is truth, and a reality you can take to the bank, because "the Lord does not lie or change his mind. He is not a human being, he does not change his mind." (1 Samuel 15:29)

No matter what your reality, be encouraged today. God is the Reality that never changes. That is good news, at Christmas time or any other time.

Inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy
Sally I. Kennedy
Announcement:

Please join us next week for New Years specials!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 27 Dec 2012, 12:45 am

Welcome to the Nugget
December 25, 2012
Jingle Bells: Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 5
By Answers2Prayer
We've all heard it and sung it. It has been translated into many different languages. It remains one of the best-known and commonly sung winter songs in the world. And every time those familiar lyrics come to mind, our thoughts and our hearts always go to that mystic time of year: Christmas!

Interestingly however, there is no mention of anything Christmas related in the song! In fact, it wasn't written for Christmas at all! It was written and sung at the time of Thanksgiving in the US: End of November!

James Lord Pierpont, of Medford Massachusetts, USA, authored the song in 1850, with the title "One Horse Open Sleigh". It wasn't released until September 16, 1857, and the song was republished two years later with the title "Jingle Bells". According to the Medford historical society, the song was inspired by the town's popular sleigh races during the 1800s. In pre-car days, it was common in New England to place straps of bells on the harnesses of horses to help avoid collisions at blind intersections. The rhythm of the tune follows the hoof beats of a trotting horse's bells.

But wait. If Jingle Bells isn't even a Christmas song, what is it doing in the middle of a devotional about Christmas???

Good question. Let's look at the lyrics:

"Dashing through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way
Bells on bob tails ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to laugh and sing
A sleighing song tonight.

"Oh, jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one horse open sleigh
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one horse open sleigh."

True enough, no mention of anything spiritual or Christmasy. But is there not something very spiritual in the idea behind these words?

Let's look!The song presents a way to attain utmost happiness! All you have to do is go out in a one-horse open sleigh!

Now we know that simply going out in a sleigh doesn't bring ultimate happiness, yet that kind of carefree happiness is attainable! A tiny baby boy, born in a humble stable more than 2000 years ago, made it possible! That baby's name?

"Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel." (Isa 7:14-15 NKJV) and then, later: "For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isa 9:6 NKJV)

Okay, but what does this famous Messianic passage of Scripture have to do with the carefree idealistic world painted in Jingle Bells?

Let's look at the next verse of Isaiah 9 for the answer: "Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this." (Isa 9:7 NKJV)

That idealistic "Jingle Bells" world, friends, is prophesied in scripture! It is the world ruled by our Lord and Savior, the One Whose birth we celebrate at Christmas: Jesus Christ, Immanuel, Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace!

Jingle Bells? You bet!

But do we have to wait until the end of the world, when Jesus returns in glory, to have this fairy-tale world?

Not according to Jesus: "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30 NKJV)

Jesus is offering to take away our heavy burdens of care and worry! He's offering to exchange them for His "easy yoke", His "light burden"!

The next time you hear the crazy little tune, "Jingle Bells", remember, the Reason for the Season has come! He offers you this idealistic, fairy-tale world for free! Why not give it all to Him today?

But wait: Once we've achieved this "Jingle Bell" world, does it mean we never have troubles?

Our song of the day answers this question for us as well:

"A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a ride
And soon Miss Fanny Bright
Was seated by my side
The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
We got into a drifted bank
And then we got upsot."

Just like these two sleigh-riders got into a bank of snow and had their sleigh overturned, sometimes it seems our ideal life in Jesus took a wrong turn somewhere! If Jesus came to give me abundant life, then why do I have all of these troubles???

Interestingly, the song doesn't go on to tell what happened to these two in the over-turned sleigh. It returns to the chorus, once again painting that ideal, picturesque world!

And it's no different in the life of the follower of Christ! God doesn't promise us a life free of problems! He promises that when we rest in Him, when we truly give Him our worries and let Him carry our burdens, we will get back to our joyous, reckless, carefree life in Him! All we have to do is keep looking to the One who made it all possible, that tiny Baby Whose birth we celebrate this day!

Jesus is our "Jingle Bells"! Jesus is the Reason for the Season! Halleluiah! Christ our Lord is born!
In His love,
Lyn
Announcement:

As we pause to contemplate the enormity of Jesus' gift for us, may this Christmas day see each of you drawing closer to each other, and closer to God. We wish all of you a very, merry Christmas, full of God's blessing and abudance of love.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 24 Dec 2012, 11:48 am

Welcome to the Nugget December 22, 2012
Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 4 By Answers2Prayer
Wait a minute. "The Little Drummer Boy" was a religious song. Sort of. And "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" are pretty generic. But what is a song about Santa doing amongst a series of devotionals on Christmas Carols?

That's what I said, too, when God put this particular Christmas Carol on my heart: "Nope, it's 100% a secular song. No lessons for Christians in that one!"

Immediately the words to the entire song came to my mind, and I realized that there is, indeed, a vital message in this silly tune. And not just for followers of Jesus either! The message is for everyone!

First, let's take a look at the words:

"You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

"He's making a list
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out
Who's naughty and nice
Santa Claus is coming to town

"He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!"

Still don't see the spiritual lesson in this song?

Throughout the world, Christmas has been overcome by commercialism. You mention Christmas, and most children don't think of the Christ child at all. They think of the mystical man in a red coat who travels around the world exactly at midnight between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, bringing presents to good boys and girls!

As I was reading the lyrics to this song, it occurred to me how much like Santa Claus many Christians see God to be!

And partly this is true. God does know when we're sleeping, He does know when we're awake! He does know when we've been bad or good, and He knows good and well who's naughty and who's nice!

To take it a step farther, Santa is known to reward children for their good behaviour and punish them for their poor conduct. The only problem is, none of us are "good"! "For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." (Rom 3:22-24) and our "good deeds" are like filthy rags! "But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags..." (Isa 64:6 NKJV) It's a good thing Santa isn't real, because if he were, no one would get anything for Christmas!

Praise God He is not Santa Claus. He does not reward us by what we deserve, but rather, by the merit of His Son, Jesus Christ: "But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life." (Titus 3:4-7 NKJV)

We're the winners, folks! And it's not by being "nice" or "good"! It's by the goodness and niceness of Jesus! Praise God!

Friends, Santa isn't going to come to town, but God will! And if we're covered by the blood of Jesus, we don't need to worry about that visit! Let's remember that it isn't about what we do and don't do. It's about what Jesus already did, and when we accept His gift of righteousness, then we've accepted the best Christmas present possible.

But wait a moment. There are many Christians who see God as Santa Claus for yet another reason: The song says, "He's making a list and checking it twice!"

How many of you, as children, ever wrote a letter to Santa Claus?

Most letters to Santa go something like this:

"I've been a very good boy/girl this year. Here is the list of things I'd like for Christmas..."

How many of us, now that we're a little older, pray to God in a similar fashion?

"Dear God, I've tried really hard today to not lie or cheat or think bad thoughts today. God, please help me to get a better job! And help my son to get a good grade on his exam. Oh, and God, mom has cancer. Would you heal her please?"

I don't know how many times I've heard people say, "God has abandoned me! Otherwise I wouldn't have all these problems!" Friends, when we think things like this, we are, indeed, treating God like Santa Claus! God never promised us a rosy life. He never said there wouldn't be problems! Instead He promises us something oh, so much better! He promises to help us through these problems, and He'll help us to grow on the way!

Oh, and though God tells us, "Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full." (John 16:24
NKJV), what God desires most is to have a relationship with us! He wants to be part of our lives! He wants us to love Him and trust in His unfailing love, and like any loving parents, out of the love of His heart, He will give!

Friends, God is not like Santa! Halleluiah! And this is what this silly song, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" has to teach us today!

Please join us on Christmas Day for the fifth and final part of Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 5: Jingle Bells!

In His love,

Lyn

Announcement:
Join us in January for Written on the Heart, a Mini-Series by Elizabeth Price focussed on helping us to discern what God truly wants the most from us!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 20 Dec 2012, 11:54 pm

Welcome to the Nugget December 20, 2012
We Wish You a Merry Christmas: Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 3 By Answers2Prayer
"We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year."

It's a silly little song, very simple in its construction and repetition. But yet so rich in lessons for every follower of Christ!

Let's look at the first verse of this song:

"Good tidings we bring to you and your kin;
Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year."

Friends, we have good tidings indeed! Jesus the Christ child is come!

True enough, He was more than likely not born on December 25, and in fact, we're not even 100% sure of the year He was born. But there is one undeniable fact: Jesus, the Son of God, left His comfortable home in Heaven, left the company of His Father, and left the adoration of the Angels to come to this Earth to a peasant family, where there wasn't any room for His birth, to walk this earth for more than 30 years, to be ridiculed, to be mocked, and to die the most horrible of all deaths, all for our Salvation! All to open Heaven's Gates! "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'" (John 14:6 NKJV)

Now is that "good tidings" or what? And as a result of Christmas, we can, indeed, have a "Happy New Year!"

The next verse to the song seems silly indeed:

"Oh, bring us a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding and a cup of good cheer"

What possible spiritual lesson can we learn from these words?

Just this: As sinners we are hungry. We are hungry for Truth, we are hungry for life eternal. Jesus is that bread of life: "Jesus said unto them, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.'" (John 6:35-36 NKJV)

The next time you sing this silly verse of this well-known Christmas Carol, remember: Jesus is the Bread of Life! He is the One who fulfills our deep, internal longings for love and acceptance, even friendship!

The song then goes on to say:

"We won't go until we get some;
We won't go until we get some;
We won't go until we get some, so bring some out here."

Friends, this is the cry of the lost soul! It's true that most lost souls don't realize they hunger for Jesus, but they realize there is something missing in their lives, and they resolve to fill that emptiness at all cost! Some turn to drugs, others alcohol, others success and wealth and riches, and still others to love. But in the end, they all come up empty! Why? Because there is only One who can fill our internal needs, and that One is Jesus!

This devotional is addressed to three different categories of people.

First of all, if you don't know Jesus, and if you feel that longing inside to be filled, then this devotional is for you! Resolve in your heart that you won't stop seeking until you are filled, and then look to the only One who can fill that persistent need! If this is you, please email me here.

Secondly, there are those who believe they know Jesus, but still have that longing, that restlessness in their hearts! They continue to cry out, "bring us some figgy pudding"! Why? Because Jesus is a concept, but He has never become a personal Friend and Savior! We may know Jesus, but if we've never sought a relationship with Him, if we've never learned to trust in His unfailing love, to allow Him to fulfill all of our needs, we will continue to feel empty! So what do you do? Seek God in all humility! Go to your knees before the throne of Grace, declaring in your heart that you "won't go until get some"! There is nothing God wants more than to have a relationship with us! Make this your Christmas prayer! God will not leave you empty! If you would like some help with this, please email me here.

Finally, if you already know Jesus, if you understand how Jesus has filled the longing in your heart, then I'd like for you to join me in focussing on one particular line of this song: "So bring some out here." Friends, there are thousands out there who long to know Jesus! We are the ones who can bring that good news to them! Let's not keep our "pudding" to ourselves! Let's share it with the world!

Friends, this Christmas when you sing, "We wish you a Merry Christmas", remember:

1. As a result of Christmas, we do, indeed, have good tidings! Tidings that will ensure us a Happy New Year!
2. Our souls long to be filled with "figgy pudding", the Bread of Life! Let us seek after this with all our hearts, souls and minds!
3. And finally, for those of us who are already full of the Bread of Life, let's hear the cry of the lost: "So bring some out here"! Let's resolve to do just that! To share our Good News with a lost and hungry world!

Join us next Saturday for Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 4: Santa Claus is Coming to Town!
In His love, Lyn

Announcement:
Have you written up your Christmas wishlist yet? May I suggest a few items to request from our Loving Heavently Father? "And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor. 13:13). Remember: "Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full." (John 16:24 NKJV)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
December 18, 2012
The Little Drummer Boy: Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 2

By Answers2Prayer
Today's lesson from Christmas Carols takes us to the classic song, "Little Drummer Boy".

"The Little Drummer Boy," originally known as "Carol of the Drum," was written by Katherine Kennicott Davis in 1941. It was recorded in 1955 by the Trapp Family Singers, and was further popularized in a 1958 by the Harry Simeone Chorale.

In the song, a poor young boy is summoned by the Magi to Jesus' side. But the boy, dressed in rags, feels very inadequate beside the royal visitors of the east. Especially when he sees them give Jesus costly gifts. So the boy gives the only thing he has: He plays his drum for Jesus.

The babe's response? "He smiled at me".

A fanciful story? Perhaps. First of all, we know that the Magi weren't at the nativity, and there is no Biblical record of a drummer boy being summoned by them. Nonetheless, the lessons contained in this powerful song are vitally important for everyone.

Here are the lessons that drummer boy has to teach us:

1. The little boy approached Jesus.

This is the first step. We must seek Jesus, and when we do, we will find Him: "The Lord is with you while you are with Him. If you seek Him, He will be found by you..." (2 Chron 15:2 NKJV)

2. The little drummer boy was humbled by the royal presence.

This teaches us valuable lessons on how we, too, should approach the royal throne of Heaven. We, too, must go in, like the little drummer boy, fully aware of our inadequacies, fully cognizant of our unimportance, and fully appreciative of the fact that we have no right to be there!

Is this not a Biblical Truth? "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chron 7:14-15 NKJV)

Humility then, is the key to entering into the presence of God! When we humble ourselves, God hears us! God forgives us, He heals us, and He will lift us up!

3. The third lesson we can learn comes from the fact that the little boy, immediately recognizing the lordship of the baby King, desired to give Him a gift.

So often we enter the presence of God with a little "daddy-do" list. You know what I'm talking about! "Father, please keep my son safe!" "Father, heal me of my cancer!" "Father, I beg you for a job!" But how often do we actually want to "give" something back to God?

Let's not go into God's presence with a "daddy-do" list. Instead, let's learn from the little drummer boy. Let's recognize the Kingship and Lordship of our Lord and Savior above all! Let's go into His presence with an attitude of giving!

4. The final lesson we can learn from the little drummer boy has to do with what he gave the Babe. He couldn't afford a gift, so he gave what he had: His talent.

So many times I've said, and heard others say, "But who am I to spread the gospel? What do I have that God could use? I'm nobody!"

Let's look at the story of the talents: "For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one..." (Matt 25:14-16 NKJV)

Remember, God doesn't leave anyone without talents, and as you read the parable, you see that how many talents each one has was not important to the man. Rather, it is what they do with them!

"So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, 'Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.' His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.' ...Then he who had received the one talent came and said, '...I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.' But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant...you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.'" (Matt 25:20-28 NKJV)

Friends, we all have gifts. It is our choice to either use them or to hide them away. The little drummer boy didn't hide his talent. He used it. He played for baby Jesus, and Jesus smiled at him!

No matter how humble or lowly our talents may be, when we give them back to Jesus by using them to His glory, we, too, get a smile from Jesus: "Well done, good and faithful servant...Enter into the joy of your lord."

Friends, when you hear The Little Drummer Boy this Christmas, remember these four important lessons:

1. It is only when we seek Jesus that we will find Him. So let's seek today!
2. We must approach the Lord in all humility of spirit, for when we do, God will forgive our sin and heal our souls.
3. We must recognize God's Lordship, and rather than going in with a list of requests, we should go in prepared to give Him gifts!
4. The gifts we give back to God don't have to be expensive or big. Rather, we should give back to God whatever we have, for in so doing, we will earn a "well done" from the King of the Universe!

Join us next week for We Wish You a Merry Christmas! Lessons From Christmas Carols, Part 3.
In His love,

Lyn

Announcement:

How can we fight commencialism and keep Christ in Christmas? Maybe we can't make much of a global difference, but each one of us can make a huge difference in our own homes. How? But keeping Christ at the centre of our own Christmas celebration!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next