World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 11:01 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 10:44 pm by Admin

» What is Shavuot and What is Pentecost?
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 10:41 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 10:36 pm by Admin

» The Ayatollah Who Supports Israel
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 10:18 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 10:15 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 10:14 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 9:39 pm by Admin

» ARE THE HOSTAGES IN EGYPT?
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 9:31 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 9:30 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 8:45 pm by Admin

» Breaking IranCopter Crash Pres.Raisi
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptyYesterday at 7:58 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 10:14 pm by Admin

» The Great Tragedy - Greg Laurie Devotion
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 10:00 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 9:39 pm by Admin

» Europe resolution on Zelenskyy’s “peace formula”
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 9:03 pm by Admin

» Israel Judaica and Roman Hadrian
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 4:34 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 2:33 pm by Admin

» Ancient Hatred Reviving? Vatican
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 12:53 am by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

Welcome to the Nugget June 21, 2012
OVER AND AROUND By Answers2Prayer

"This is what the LORD says -- he who made a way through the sea . . . I am making a way in the wilderness." (Isaiah 43:16, 19)

The river was higher than usual. A great amount of rainfall through the year had caused it to swell its banks. This fall the water wasn't gurgling and bubbling along, rather it was churling and rushing in a steady rapid flow.

The small part of the river I could see from the window had some pretty good-size boulders. There were other rocks, all sizes from the tiny chips at the river bottom to the massive stones. Whenever the river water came to one of these rocks, it didn't stay there. The rock didn't prevent the water from continuing on.

The river rolled over pebbles and smaller rocks. It went around boulders and larger rocks. Sometimes additional waters came alongside and joined with the water at the rock, supporting it to move past the obstacle.

When we encounter formidable roadblocks in our lives, it is important to carry on. There is always a way. We know that the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy. He does not want to sort of mess up our lives, he wants to totally wreck them and ultimately separate us from God.

But God is life. John 10:10 talks about the abundant, over-the-top life that Jesus brings to us. Sometimes we go it alone, other times we need help and support from a family member, close friend, prayer partner, bible study group etc. But always we need the guidance of our friend, the Holy Spirit.

The river water did not encounter a deterrent and say, "oh no! I am stuck here. What am I going to do?" One way or another, over or around, it kept persevering. There is always a solution, always a way ... over or around, with God.

God Will Make A Way (Words and music by Don Moen)
God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide Hold me closely to His side With love and strength For each new day
He will make a way.

Inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy
Sally I. Kennedy, 2011 (visit my website)
Irish Thursdays -- Archived messages

Announcements:
GATES IN THE BIBLE!
Curious as to the meaning of gates in the Bible? Check out the "Gates in the Bible" series published through the Nugget. Click here.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:27 pm

Welcome to the Nugget June 19, 2012
THE ETERNAL MUSIC, Part 3 By Answers2Prayer
Today, in the concluding part of our series on the stupendous miracle of our Lord, walking on water , let's look at the "third dimension" of this stunning episode.

Power

When the Master came walking on walker, did Peter also replicate this amazing act? YES, AS LONG AS HE KEPT HIS GAZE FIXED ON THE MASTER (Matt 14:29)! What then is needed to defy gravity or simply put, experience a miracle. TRUST IN GOD'S POWER! BROTHER, YOU NEED TO "COME OUT OF YOUR BOAT", IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE HIS POWER!!! If you are still in the safety of your boat (frankly speaking it's dangerous), you would never experience firsthand His power.

Broadly speaking, this is true in a Christian's life in two situations. Firstly when he/she takes a leap of faith, at the point of salvation. To trust Jesus as your Savior with a poor submissive, penitent spirit (Matt 5:3) means letting go of the "safety of different types of boats"! At the top of the list is the "boat of good deeds" to curry God's favour. It would take one no where but to hell (Proverbs 14:12), for it revolves around the hidden, selfish principle of "I WILL FOLLOW GOD BUT ON MY TERMS ALONE". By the way, do you know Mumbai Dons, too, excel in charity...

Then there is that perilous "boat of convenience", one needs to abandon. I will enjoy my life to the hilt and seek the Saviour at the eleventh hour like the repentant thief on the cross... so goes the refrain of some folks. What if they die at 10:30! Asides, ONLY when they get "out of this boat and walk on water", would they experience the fulfilling joy which the Saviour who came to give ABUNDANT LIFE (John 10:10) ALONE can impart! HEY, CHRISTIAN LIFE IS NOT BORING DEVOID OF ALL FUN RATHER IT IS EXCITING TO THE CORE!

The second situation is when God asks a Christian is to quit his legitimate job and become a full-timer, trusting IN HIS POWER alone to satisfy the latter's needs. Now this is a difficulty with a capital D! To turn ones back to a pleasure-seeking, sinful lifestyle may be relatively easy but to let go of your legitimate right to pursue a fruitful career...BOY...this is where, trust in God's power comes into play. Those who have "stepped out of the security of a lucrative, secular job" like yours truly alone can testify as to God's power in miraculously making the "cup overflow"! Let me forewarn (in the spirit of the teaching in Matt 4:5-7) those pursuing wonderful careers with the right attitude (Colossians 3:23-24)...do not quit your job and take-up full-time spiritual service, till His call comes. If He calls you, be also guaranteed He will speak to you in a language, you are familiar with. Simply put, there would be no ambiguity about His call! Meanwhile thank Him for all the exposure, while you are at your secular job. There is a flipside too...in some cases...some painful unlearning would be required after stepping into a Spiritual vocation. All in all, if and when He calls you like He did Moses, do not give an excuse that you have "stammering tongue" (Exodus 4:10). By the way, Moses who stammered went on to preach the LONGEST, RECORDED SERMON in the Bible (33 Chapters of Deuteronomy at one stretch). How's that for trusting in God and "coming out of the boat and walking on water"!!!

Oh yes, the miracle of Jesus walking on "harp-like lake" still resonates with sweet melodies carrying several profound lessons. Thank you Lord, for taking me to Israel! There I walked carrying painful arthritis infected legs and all ...over the steep hills and valley (Deuteronomy 11:11/2 Cor 12:7-10)...Didn't I know before going there what it takes to tour the Holy Land! Once again "I stepped out of the boat" and...HALLELUJAH! What price any theology, which doesn't end with doxology!

Prayer: Father, strengthened inwardly by faith, enable us to step out of our comfort zones to bring glory to your Name at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
Please visit my website

Announcements:
LESSONS FROM PETS Did you know that there are hundreds of lessons to be learned through nature? To learn how pets have been able to teach their owners about God, click here.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 17 Jun 2012, 8:34 am

Welcome to the Nugget June 16, 2012
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, GOD! By Answers2Prayer
"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." (John 17:3-4 NKJV)

When my oldest son left home for university last fall, I did not deal with it well.

I know, I know. It happens to every parent. It is not only a normal part of growing up, but it is also a sign of a mature, independent child! They don't stay home forever!

So what was my problem?

Well, certainly there was the nostalgia. After all, it seemed like just yesterday that he was just a babe in arms. Where had his young life gone? Was I there enough for him? Did I give him the guidance, the love, the direction that he needed? Couldn't I have just one more year to make up for lost time?

And then, of course, there was the fact that I would miss him terribly. The house would seem awfully quiet, awfully empty. I would miss going running with him and listening to him tell me all about whatever subject he was studying at the moment. It's true, I didn't understand half of what he told me. Kids seem so much smarter now days! But I would miss those runs. And I would miss him running down the stairs for a quick hug and kiss when I got home from work. And I would even miss the moments he forgot he has legally an adult, and stepped back into that ol' teenage attitude!

But it made me think: Is this how my Heavenly Father felt that day in the garden, that day when the finest of His creation disobeyed, bringing about a separation in the relationship?

No, I don't suppose it was.

Why?

Because God's feelings are so much purer and deeper and stronger than any human emotion could possibly be! His heart didn't hurt the way mine did, it hurt oh, so much more! In fact, God's heart hurt so much that He figured out a way to put us back into the face-to-face relationship that was lost in the Garden! And the "way" he figured out required the life of His Son, Jesus, the Christ.

Now I don't know about you, but I'd much sooner put my own life on the line than that of my son! But our Father God's love for us knows NO bounds! He did the unthinkable, He sent His own Son to open the doors for us, so that we need no longer experience that separation from Him.

Yes those first few weeks my son was gone were tough on me. I remember sitting with my cell phone on my lap, willing it to ring, or to at least give me an indication that I had received a text message. And when it didn't, I couldn't stop myself from worrying. What was he doing? Was he okay? Was he eating well and getting enough sleep? Was he remembering his time with God?

Is this how my Heavenly Father feels when I forget to pray? When I live my life as if He doesn't exist? Does He feel this way when I choose to not take care of myself? When the people I spend my time with aren't the kind that will have a positive influence on me? How does He feel when I set other priorities higher than Him?

I can tell you the answer to that question, friends: He hurts! God longs for us to spend time with Him even more intensely than I wanted that phone to ring!

My son actually did very well during those first few weeks. And though this should have made me happy, it made it all the harder. You see, he was doing well without my help! I wasn't needed anymore!

Now if I had been there to help him, my son would have accepted my help. Unlike him however, I do not always go to my Heavenly Father for help. I don't always accept His advice. I often reject the gifts of love and comfort, strength and wisdom that He longs to pour out for me! How must that make Him feel? How does He feel when I turn to other sources to fill the hole in my hearts?

Friends, I don't know about you, but I don't want to hurt my Heavenly Father! He gave everything for me, can I not give Him back what little I can? Can I not accept the gifts He pours out for me? Can I not listen to His advice? Can I not spend the time with Him that His breaking heart so longs to spend?

Will you join me this Father's Day in resolving to spend more time with my Heavenly Father? Will you join me in resolving to listen to His advice, to accept His gifts of love? To let Him feel the empty voids that life creates? And not for just this one day, but for a lifetime?

If you will, then you've just given your Heavenly Father the BEST gift you could possible give Him!

Happy Father's Day, God!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems (click here) with Answers2Prayer Ministries (click here).
Announcements:
The current mini-series, JESUS AND NICODEMUS, will be resuming on Saturdays next week. Please join us on Saturday, June 23, for JESUS AND NICODEMUS, Part 4!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:03 pm

Welcome to the Nugget June 14, 2012
JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth, Part 3: The Process of Rebirth By Answers2Prayer
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. This is the first of several mini-series, based on the book of John. Other mini-series' will be appearing in The Nugget throughout the next year. Please join us on the next 5 Saturdays for JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth.

LESSONS FROM THE BOOK OF JOHN, Study #1:

JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth, Part 3:

The Process of Rebirth

Last week, in JESUS AND NICODEMUS, Part 2, we saw that there is more than one level to life. The physical, which we barely understand, and the spiritual, which we don't understand at all. And we can't understand it unless we are born again of the Spirit of God. We also saw that there are huge benefits to being born of the Spirit, for when we are born of the Spirit, we are open to the leading of God's Spirit and thus, we are always WHERE we need to be, WHEN we need to be there! There is ALWAYS a purpose AT the moment, IN the moment!

Who could ask for anything better?

But how can we achieve such an ideal?

Jesus doesn't leave Nicodemus in the dark. First He establishes that nobody can achieve this status without help, and the only one who can help is the Son of God: "No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:13-15 NKJV)

And that just about sums it up, friends! Just like nothing earthly could save Israel of old from the poisonous snakes of the wilderness, (see Numbers 21:4-7) nothing can save us from our dire, human, sinful state. And just like Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness for the salvation of the Israelites who had been bitten by the poisonous serpents (See Numbers 21:7-9), Jesus would be "lifted up", and any who believe in Him will not perish.

This, then, is the first step! Being born of the Spirit isn't something we can just "choose" to do! The first step to being born of the Spirit is to accept Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, to believe in His power of Salvation, to give our hearts totally and completely to Him!

It is said that when God repeats Himself, He is really serious. And Jesus doesn't leave it here. He goes on to repeat Himself three more times: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (John 3:16-19 NKJV)

But wait a minute. Isn't that one of the most quoted verses in the Bible? John 3:16? "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"?

We do right to quote this verse as often as we do. But perhaps it would have even more power if we quoted it in context! If we included verses 15, 17 and 18! If we realized how serious God is about this, serious enough to repeat Himself FOUR times in as many consecutive verses!

Friends, God is serious about Salvation! His love for us transcended any we've ever known or imagined! His love for us reaches out so that WE WILL NOT PERISH! WE ARE NOT CONDEMNED! THAT THE WORLD MIGHT BE SAVED!

Do you still doubt His love for you? If so, just keep rereading these four verses until they are part of your spirit! God loves YOU! God sent His own Son so that YOU are not condemned, so that YOU will not die the death you deserve, so that the WORLD might be saved!

But wait a minute. Weren't we talking about rebirth here? Has Jesus just taken Nicodemus on a major "U-Turn"? Changed the topic? Distracted him from the subject at hand? Don't we use this strategy often to divert the conversation from things we don't have the answer to? Is Jesus simply enticing Nicodemus with pretty words and alluring promises?

No, friends, what Jesus is doing here is simply establishing the door for the spiritual rebirth process! The key for being born of the Spirit lies in the cross. Just like the serpent in the wilderness, Jesus was raised up on that cross. And just like any Israelite who raised their eyes up to that upraised serpent, anyone who believes in the cross, in the power of God to save us from our sin and to re-establish the communication lost at Eden, is NO LONGER CONDEMNED! And, that same cross opens the door for the spiritual rebirth, being born again of the Spirit of God!

Wait a minute. Refresh my memory: Why is this spiritual rebirth so enticing?

Because it re-establishes the spiritual level lost at Eden. It puts our spirit in touch with God's Spirit, and if we allow His Spirit to guide ours, He will give us purpose in everything we do. We will ALWAYS be where we need to be, IN the moment, AT the moment. Every moment of every day will exude our reason to be!

But just in case this isn't reason enough to desire the spiritual rebirth, Jesus doesn't end the discourse here. He goes on to remind Nicodemus of what will happen if we DON'T choose the door He opened for us . . . Please join us next week for JESUS AND NICODEMUS, Part 4: He who DOESN'T Believe . . .

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems (click here) with Answers2Prayer Ministries (click here).
Announcements:
Are you looking for that rest, peace and security that everyone says comes from Jesus? Please join us on Tuesdays in June for THE ETERNAL MUSIC, A mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Welcome to the Nugget June 12, 2012
THE ETERNAL MUSIC, Part 2 By Answers2PrayerS
Continuing with our series on the lessons to be learnt from the amazing miracle of the Saviour walking on water, today we come to the second lesson ...
Pacing ...

Ah, our Lord is not only a great protector, Scripture bears witness to the fact that the Master Deliverer paces his act of deliverance also to perfection. His rescuing hand arrives right on dot ... NOT A NANOSECOND BEFORE OR LATER. This incident of Jesus walking on water comes close on the heels of feeding "so many with so few" (Matt 14:13-24). That the Redeemer started walking towards the beleaguered Disciples on their way to Gennaseret (only when they were helpless in a storm) would be obvious to even to those having a casual look at this Scripture portion. What may not be readily obvious is that lessons Disciples' learnt from watching closely Jesus' act of saving them "in the nick of time" stood them in good stead, when they faced "tempestuous" times ... Post Jesus ascension.

Fast forward to Acts Chapter 12:1-7 and ... what do we see? The Apostle Peter brimming with youthful vigor -- to whom Jesus had already prophesied that He would die a glorious martyr's death only "IN HIS OLD AGE" (John 21:18-19) -- sleeping peacefully in the prison, despite Damocles ... opps sorry ... I mean the King Herod's sword hanging over his head both literally and figuratively. He was to be executed in the next 24 hours! Those of us who have endured sleepless nights before the day of even minor surgeries can only marvel at Peter's poise. I still remember a Physician prescribing a sleep-inducing tablet to me the night before I was to undergo a sinus operation about six years ago (sic). Did somebody administer any sleeping pill to Peter? NO!

Suffering from Insomnia? Want to use the best sleeping pill on planet Earth? Go no further than the promised "PEACE OF MIND" (John 14:27), which stems from the deep realization that Sovereign God is in eventual control and that His deliverance from any sticky situation would arrive right on time. Take my word, no obedient servant of God can depart from the earthly scene till his designated work on earth is accomplished (John 8:20)! Nor did Peter till he accomplished much for the Lord ... (Acts 12:6-12). Say fellow Christian, are you in deep waters? Take heart, a lifeline is on the way.

By the way, have you ever wondered why the Sea of Galilee was often prone to storms (another "stormy" incident recorded in Mark 4:35-41)? Its peculiar topography, ladies and gentlemen! I am a witness, and hence I can speak with authority (Acts 5:32). The lake lies low in the Great Rift Valley, surrounded by hills. With little warning, mighty squalls can sweep down the wadis (valleys) around the lake, whipping its tranquil surface into treacherous waves. Such storms often arrive due to temperature changes, as the heat of the rift valley (averaging mid-30s Celsius in the shade) sucks the cool air down from the heights.

Prayer: Father, whilst facing "storms of life", we are so comforted to know that Your help would arrive "right on time". We praise Thee, once again in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
Please visit my website

Announcements:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. Several mini-series' will be appearing in The Nugget throughout the next year. The first study in LESSONS FROM THE BOOK OF JOHN is currently being published throughout the month of June, on Saturdays. However due to the upcoming Father's Day special, this week's edition of JESUS AND NICODEMUS will be appearing on Thursday, June 14. Please join us then!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 11 Jun 2012, 11:30 am

Welcome to the Nugget June 9, 2012
JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth, Part 2: The Benefits of Rebirth By Answers2Prayer
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. This is the first of several mini-series, based on the book of John. Other mini-series' will be appearing in The Nugget throughout the next year. Please join us on the next 5 Saturdays for JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth.

JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth, Part 2:
The Benefits of Rebirth

Last week, in JESUS AND NICODEMUS, Part 1, we saw that there is a deep, albeit unrecognized, need in each of us to understand things from the spiritual level, the level in which God sees the world. We once had this ability but we lost it back in Eden, and this is the level of understanding that Jesus came to restore. As He tells Nicodemus, the only way to be able to truly understand the Kingdom of God is to be born again, and this rebirth is not of women, but of Spirit!

But just what does it mean to be born of the Spirit?

Jesus is quite clear: "Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit." (John 3:6 NIV)

So, you got that, right? You now understand perfectly.

No worries. I didn't either.

And I suspect Nicodemus must have felt this way too. Who knows what his reaction was here, because the Bible doesn't record it. But I can just see the confused expression that must have come over his face, for Jesus goes on to explain further: "You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." (John 3:7,8 NIV)

So now it's perfectly clear, right?

Not according to Nicodemus: "How can this be?" (John 3:9 NIV)

Does it feel like we're just getting deeper and deeper into the darkness of misunderstanding here? Jesus is being very patient. He is giving explanation after explanation, but we still don't quite get it! What does it mean to be born of the Spirit?

"'You are Israel's teacher,' said Jesus, 'and do you not understand these things?'" (John 3:10 NIV)

Okay, Nicodemus had no excuse. He WAS Israel's teacher, but we're not, so maybe we have an excuse! But wait. Isn't Jesus speaking as if these things are NOT hard to understand?

Lord, remove the blindness from our eyes, that we may see, that we may hear Your voice, that we may understand and be healed!

Jesus continues: "I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify of what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?" (John 3:11,12 NIV)

Okay Lord. You hit the nail on the head here! You ARE speaking clearly. You are speaking of what YOU have seen and what YOU know. But what YOU have seen and know are so far beyond our understanding that it isn't clear to us at all! Is it any wonder You started off this exchange by saying, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again" (John 3:3 NIV)? We simply cannot see or understand because we must first be born of the Spirit!

But wait a minute. Would Jesus have just told Nicodemus he must be born again to understand this spiritual level if it meant we can't comprehend it at all? Not at all. Jesus would have never said this if He hadn't meant it! And Jesus' explanation about the wind brings us into a full understanding of what He is trying to teach us here: "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." (John 3:8 NIV)

You see, in the physical dimension, we know when the wind is present, but we don't necessarily know where it is coming from or where it goes. It is the same with the Spiritual dimension. We know when God's Spirit has been present, but we didn't necessarily know He was coming, where He came from, or where He goes after He leaves. We can't predict or pretend to understand why He does what He does and when He does it.

What Jesus is saying here is that when we are born of the Spirit, we, too, become like the wind. When we are open to the leading of God's Spirit, we are always WHERE we need to be, WHEN we need to be there! There is ALWAYS a purpose at the moment, IN the moment!

Wouldn't it be nice to live like that? The search for purpose in life would come to a screeching halt, because we would be living our purpose at ALL times!

But wait! All this sounds so ideal! And so far from what we have! Can it really be true? What must we do?

Jesus doesn't leave us in the dark. Join us next SATURDAY for JESUS AND NICODEMUS, Part 3: The Process of Rebirth.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements:
Please not that in honor of Father's Day, Sunday June 17, next week's edition of JESUS AND NICODEMUS will be appearing on Thursday, June 14. Please join us then!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:30 am

Welcome to the Nugget June 7, 2012
THREE DIMES By Answers2Prayer
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 Dime
"For God so love the World . . ." (John 3:16a)

When I was a boy I used to love to find a stray penny on the sidewalk. I would save them in a jar in my room and then use them to buy candy or gum when I had found enough. Later as an adult I read a story about how a minister still loved to find pennies on the sidewalk because on each one was written the words: "In God we trust." He said that each penny was a message from Heaven that reminded him of just how much God loved him.

Today I was headed to the store to buy a week's worth of groceries for my family. I didn't really feel up to it, though. My stomach was nauseous and I felt weak. I wondered if I was coming down with a virus. Still, our cupboards were bare and it couldn't be put off. I stopped first to fill my car with gas before heading to the store. As I walked in to pay I saw a dime laying on the asphalt. I picked it up and remembered the minister's story. I felt blessed 10 times over.

I read the words, "In God we trust" written on it and realized that sick or not God loved me and as with me today and always.

Later as I was heading into the store I saw a local club doing a Christmas fund drive to buy toys for the needy children in our area. I pulled out a few dollars and handed them to the people.

They thanked me and wished me a "Merry Christmas" as I turned to go into the store. Then I
saw it. A second dime laying right in front of the door. This time I felt so good that my stomach stopped feeling queasy. I pocketed the dime, looked to the sky, and smiled.

I took my time shopping since I was still feeling a little weak. Finally before heading home I stopped to pick up a take out pizza for dinner. I didn't really feel up to cooking. When I got my change I dropped it along with my first two dimes into the charity box on the counter. I enjoyed the idea of passing them and the love that went with them on to others. I walked out with a happy heart. I took one step toward my car and saw a third dime gleaming in the sunshine on the sidewalk. I laughed with delight. I knew that Heaven was watching over me and God was encouraging me to keep loving, caring, and sharing all that I could in this life. I felt loved not 30 times over, but 30,000 times over. When I got home too every bit of sickness and weakness had disappeared from my body. I felt healthy, alive and full of joy.

As you go through this life with all of its struggles, sickness, and problems know that you are loved. You are loved with a love more powerful than you can ever imagine. You are loved by God, Our Heavenly Father, the creator of us all! And the proof of it is all around you. It is in every sunrise and every flower. It is in every smile you see and every hug you get. It is in every good thing, miraculous message, or curious coincidence that happens upon you in this life. It is even in every penny or dime you find on the ground. Rejoice in that love, cherish it, welcome it into your heart and soul, and make your whole life a celebration and sharing of it.

By Joe Mazzella

Announcements:
Are you looking for that rest, peace and security that everyone says comes from Jesus? Please join us on Tuesdays in June for THE ETERNAL MUSIC, A mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:10 am

Welcome to the Nugget June 5, 2012
THE ETERNAL MUSIC, Part 1 By Answers2Prayer
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 HARP
Yes, I knew that Sea of Galilee (actually a fresh water lake) also known as Lake Gennaseret (Luke 5:1 KJV) or Sea of Tiberias (John 6:1 KJV) derived its names from its proximity to either the main province (Galilee was one of the six provinces the Roman empire had divided the Land of Palestine into for better administrative control during Jesus' time) or the main cities (prominent cities of Gennaseret and Tiberias were on its north western bank). However it was only during my recent visit to the Holy Land (had an emotional boat ride in this Scenic lake which was a host to several astounding miracles of the Saviour) that I came to know why it is also known as (thanks to a knowledgeable guide's explanation) Sea of Chinnereth (in Hebrew Sea of Kinnereth-Numbers 34:11 KJV). It derives its name Kinnereth from the Hebrew word kinnor ("harp" or "lyre"), in view of the shape of the lake.

Oh praise the Lord for being a great facilitator (Genesis 24:7)! For Joshua and co., who would be entering the Promised Land for the FIRST TIME, recognizing this Water body (700 ft approx below Sea level) from a panoramic view would be easy, only if it is named as per its APPEARANCE and not by any other name. Hence before any other name was given to this Lake which would act as a vital reference point during Land Division amongst the tribes, the Almighty Himself called it the Sea of Kinnereth to facilitate its easy recognition at a time, Joshua and his army were yet to step into the Promised Land.
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 28 SEA20OF20GALILEE

While several astounding miracles were performed by the Redeemer in this picturesque harp-like Lake, one miracle which resonates like lingering sweet melody always in my ears is that of Creator (Col 1:16) walking on water (Matt 14: 22-34). In this 3-part series, let's look at what lessons, we can learn from this stupefying miracle of the Lord. By the way, if you did not know before, let me take this opportunity to remind you at this juncture NO ONE IN HUMAN HISTORY HAD WALKED ON WATER BEFORE OR LATER (no, not even the great Old Testament Prophets) and closer to times fake mystic gurus like Hata Yogi who tried walking on water in Mumbai in early 1970s' sank without a trace.

Prophecy...

Several landmark events in Jesus' life were already prophesied…like his virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14), crucifixion (Psalm 22:16), resurrection (Psalm 16:10), ascension (Psalm 68:18/Ephesians 4:8) and even the last word, He would utter on the cross (Psalm 31:5/Luke 23:46). So was this stupendous miracle of walking on water also foretold?

Before answering that...let's get into a lesson within a lesson. Why so many Prophecies? Even without a single Prophecy, Saviour could have been born to a virgin, completed the Redemption plan, commissioned the disciples to preach the Gospel and ascended to Heaven. Welcome to rationalists' association (I deeply love all the rationalists' and want none to lose out on the SALVATION, the Almighty offers) which demands proofs to validate every Divine act as really a Divine act. Now can these respected intellectuals put down Jesus' life and all the astounding events in His life to "mere supernatural occurrences", devoid of any Divine involvement, especially when there are blaring prophecies galore about them? If they still do so, one cannot be faulted in doubting their intelligence. Let me illustrate...

Two years ago, the ladies of our Church went to buy some gifts in a busy market for Church widows and orphans during Christmas time. Mission accomplished, when they returned to the Church, one Sister in faith found out to her dismay that she had just left her purse in a busy parking lot. Praying fervently, the Women Fellowship members rushed back to the spot (good 4 kms away- during peak rush hour time it took them quite some time to arrive there) and lo and behold, there was that precious purse "unpicked", safe and secure in the same, busy parking lot. Talk of Baby Moses being safe amongst hungry Crocodiles in River Nile! Now if I were to trumpet this "miracle" as an act of a prayer-answering God (Psalm 50:15) before an agnostic, he may most probably dismiss it as "a case of good fortune" but ponder for a moment, if this event (with all the details, including intricate ones') had been prophesied and documented in a "Book", a good 25 years before it actually took place, would my rationalist friend irrationally still attribute it to a case of "sheer luck or coincidence"? NO WAY! Ditto... with the case of Jesus' life and all the associated Prophecies written hundreds of years before the Saviour arrived!

Now coming to the core question? Was this stupendous miracle in Jesus' life also prophesied? Here goes... "He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea" (Job 9:8 NIV). HALLELUJAH!!!

Boy, what is the significance of so many fulfilled Prophecies of Jesus' life to those of us of the contemporary generation? Simple, if so many prophecies regarding His First advent were fulfilled, should we not take THE WORD (John 1:1-3) AT HIS WORD regarding His Second advent also? Take my word, THE WORD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS WORD. What then is my job? Be alert to the same (Second advent) and alert others...

Prayer: Father, I praise and thank thee for placing the irrefutable proofs about your majestic Son's first and second advents'. Enable us to "broadcast" these proofs to the World, at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Please join us next Tuesday for THE ETERNAL MUSIC, Part 2.

Suresh Manoharan
Please visit my website

Announcements:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. Several mini-series' will be appearing in The Nugget throughout the next year, but please join us on Saturdays in June for the first study from the book of John: JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:41 am

Welcome to the Nugget June 2, 2012
JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth, Part 1: The Need to be Born Again By Answers2Prayer

JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth, Part 1:

The Need to be Born Again

Sometime early in His ministry, Jesus had an interesting encounter with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. We aren't told much about this particular Pharisee. In fact, the grand total of what we know is found in John 3:1-20, as well as in one tiny verse in John 19:

1. Nicodemus was a Pharisee ("There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews" John 3:1 NKJV).

2. He was afraid of what the other teachers of the law thought, for he came to Jesus by night ("This man came to Jesus by night . . ." John 3:2a NKJV).

3. He believed Jesus to be a "teacher from God" (". . . And said to Him, 'Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God . . ." John 3:2b NKJV).

4. He was following Jesus' career (". . . For no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." John 3:2c NKJV).

5. He was a deep thinker, one who put everything to the test of his own personal life experiences ("How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" John 3:4 NKJV).

6. He is open to Jesus' teachings, for his responses show a searching heart rather than a mocking one ("Nicodemus answered and said to Him, 'How can these things be?'" John 3:9 NKJV).

7. And finally, Nicodemus supplied the spices for Jesus' burial ("And Nicodemus, who at first came to Jesus by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds." John 19:39 NKJV).

In summary, Nicodemus typifies the category of the lost person searching for Truth. And as a result, this exchange speaks not just to Nicodemus of old, but to each and every lost, searching child of God!

The next three devotionals in this series will be looking directly at what this exchange has to teach us about spiritual rebirth, but for today, we'll spend a few moments looking at what preliminary lessons can be learned from the exchange itself!

Nicodemus begins by stating that he believes Jesus is sent of God, for "no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him." (John 3:2 NIV)

It's quite a complement, but I find it very interesting that Jesus completely ignores this introduction, and instead, appears to jump to a completely different topic!

Why would Jesus do such a thing?

In order to teach us how to deal with flattery! He doesn't deny Nicodemus' words, but He also doesn't dwell on them. He simply jumps to the heart of the matter!

We are told to encourage one another, yet for many of us who struggle with pride, that encouragement we receive quickly mounts to our heads. The next time someone gives out some encouragement, why not follow Jesus' example? Let's don't dwell on the compliment, but rather, let's get on to the heart of the exchange!

And that's what Jesus does: "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." (John 3:3 NIV)

Wait a minute. Maybe Jesus hasn't completely skirted the topic after all! Nicodemus just stated that God must be with Jesus because of the many miracles He has performed, and Jesus responds by pointing out to Nicodemus that he can't even contemplate what the kingdom of God is like unless he is born again!

Nicodemus' response shows that he has only a surface knowledge of the Kingdom of God, and it serves to prove Jesus' point nicely: "How can a man be born when he is old? . . . Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" (John 3:4)

The lesson here is clear, friends: The moment we think we have it all figured out, we need to realize how hopeless it is to try to understand the things of the Kingdom of God on our own!

"I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit." (John 3:5,6 NIV)

There is more than one level to life, friends. We live in the physical, as Nicodemus' response so nicely illustrates. But there is also a spiritual level, one that we lost at Eden. And now, thousands of years later, we've lived so long without it that we don't even realize it exists, let alone do we see our need for it! As a result, we try to measure everything on the physical plain, and our comprehension is oh, so limited!

But in His exchange with Nicodemus, Jesus is trying to take us deeper. He wants us to understand things from the spiritual level, the level He sees life on, and He is giving us the key to doing so: Spiritual Rebirth.

Are you interested in taking the plunge, friends? Are you interested in learning about the Kingdom of God from the spiritual plain? Then join us next week for JESUS AND NICODEMUS, Part 2: The Benefits of Rebirth.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements:
Questions about parenting? Wondering whether you've made the right decision with your kids? Thinking about discipline? Why not check out BRINGING UP KIDS GOD'S WAY? Click here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:32 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 31, 2012
The Great Divide By Answers2Prayer

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12 NKJV)

Several years ago friends had invited me and my wife and another couple for supper and an evening of watching their trip to Arizona to visit the Grand Canyon.

I'm told that the grand canyon covers 277 river miles long, up to 18 miles wide, and a mile deep. Talk about a great divide!

Made me think of another, even greater divide. The great divide between Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross and bodily resurrection from the dead and all other religions!

There are those today who take verses like the one found in our Lord's High Priestly prayer in John 17:21: "That they all may be one..." and try to tell us that this means all religions. But the ones spoken of here, are in Christ Jesus and believe in Him alone for salvation and believe in His word! Speaking of false religions in II Corinthians 6:14-16 and in verse 17, the Holy Spirit speaks these words through the Apostle Paul: "Come out from among them and be separate, says The Lord..." (II Corinthians 6:17 NKJV)

The great divide is between we human beings and God, our Creator! Our division was caused by sin! "But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear." (Isaiah 59:2 NKJV) There is only one thing that can bring peace and restoration between a man and God and that is Jesus Christ! "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." (II Corinthians 5:21 NKJV)

"For the death that He died, He died for sin once for all . . ." (Romans 6:10 NKJV)

"Having made peace through the blood of His cross. And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and irreproachable in His sight." (Col. 1:20 NKJV)

The cross of Christ is the only way to The Father. It was His finished work there on the cross, when He said, "It is finished." (John 19:30) that satisfied the demands of A Holy God. Three days later when our Lord was bodily raised from the tomb, was the capstone that tells us that the sacrifice made was satisfactory!

Sin was the great divide between us and God, and the cross is the one and only remedy that God has provided. There is also an infinite divide between the gospel of Jesus Christ and all other religions! It is just as futile for all other religions to believe they can cross the great divide and come to God without going by the way of the cross of Calvary, as it would be for me to think that I could cross the great grand canyon without a bridge!

Prayer: Father we thank You for the only way of salvation that You have provided. The sacrifice of Your only begotten Son. Thank You for Your word that tells us clearly that the cross is the only way to cross the great divide that sin has caused between us and You. All other ways are man's futile attempts for false substitutions! In Christ's Name we pray. Amen.

Bob Jones
Please email me

Announcements:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. This is the first of several mini-series', based on the book of John, that will be appearing in The Nugget throughout the next year. Please join us on the next 5 Saturdays for JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 30 May 2012, 11:49 am

Welcome to the Nugget May 29, 2012
IT GOT MY ATTENTION! By Answers2Prayer

It was an otherwise normal day and things were going along fine until the phone rang, and I heard fear and panic in the voice on the other end. When she said, "The woods are on fire!" I knew there was cause for alarm. Now that might not have been quite as frightening to me if it were somewhere else, but these woods are right up the hill from my new home. I had just moved in and, this was no laughing matter. It got my serious attention

Someone had been innocently burning trash when the wind suddenly came up and caused the fire to get out of control and spread through the grass and into the woods. This area of woods covers miles of tree covered hills and residential areas. This was a very serious situation. When efforts to put out the fire seemed futile a frantic call to 911 was made.

As I was hurriedly making my way up the hill toward the fire someone shouted to me to go back down toward the highway where I could direct the fire fighters in the direction of the fire. Because of its location, the fire might not be seen from the road.

Now, I am a senior citizen, and my legs do not move real fast. It was a very long walk, but I found myself motivated by the urgency and made it in record time. Seconds were important, and the minutes seemed very long while waiting for the big red truck with the flashing lights to arrive. The wind was really blowing, and there was danger of a real catastrophe. Was I praying? You better believe it. God does not promise to keep us out of trouble. He does promise to help us when we are in trouble. We were definitely in trouble.

As I had hurried toward the road the fear in my heart for, myself and others who could be hurt by this was overwhelming. I heard the siren and took courage, but then it faded out as if it had made a wrong turn and might not get here in time. My home and the homes of others were in harms way, and I was nervous. I have often advised others to live by Philippians 4:6 where it says "do not worry about anything." At this point human nature took over, and I found it difficult to take my own advice.

Then I saw something that struck me as very strange and unusual. In a large field right next to the driveway where I was standing, there was a herd of cattle. They were usually scattered around grazing quietly, but now they were all huddled together in a very close group and seemed extremely restless. They kept moving slightly as a group and looking at me. Also, a strange little dog that I had never seen before was barking at me from the other side of the driveway. He was acting very odd.

Animals can hear sirens long before humans. Perhaps they can also smell the smoke sooner. Fear was no doubt in their minds, too. In their own way, they were probably trying to warn me of the danger. Sometimes we do not give animals the credit they deserve.

It was a tense time and one of relief when that big red truck came around the curve. To me these men coming to the rescue were like "angels riding in a red chariot". They did not have wings, but they had water that could save the day, if it was not too late.

When I got back up the hill, I saw something else extremely frightening. The fire had encircled a large tree and was rapidly burning upward toward the branches. It was an awesome and terrifying sight. I had never seen fire climb like that. If it had reached the branches water would have been insufficient, and the fire would have spread out of control. Thank God the water hose was put in action, and that tragedy was prevented. The ground fire was another story, but the firefighters knew what to do. A great deal of damage was avoided, and I believe that it was God's mercy that sent help in time.

God's promise of grace and mercy are seen in Hebrews 4:16 where he says, "Let us therefore come boldly before the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." It makes good sense to call upon him for help in time of trouble. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." (Psalms 46:1).

Water and fire are a blessing from God and a necessity for living. Under control they will serve us well. However, out of control, they become our enemies. We need to have a healthy respect for them and for the God who created them.

Fire got our attention that day. The degree of our respect for it is at record high.

Christian love,
Carolyn Young

Announcements:
The book of John is packed full of life-giving nuggets of Truth. This is the first of several mini-series', based on the book of John, that will be appearing in The Nugget throughout the next year. Please join us on Saturdays in June for the first study: JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 27 May 2012, 4:24 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 26, 2012
TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 5: What Happens When True Doctrine is NOT taught? By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 4, we took a look at the Biblical definition of doctrine. We learned that true doctrine always comes from the Father, and it is always in keeping with Jesus' great command, to love the Lord with all our hearts, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. And we were also given a helpful list of doctrinal items: sobriety, reverence, temperance, soundness in faith, love, patience, etc.

I believe that these teachings are part of the doctrine of most, if not all, Christian churches. The question is, do we put enough emphasis on them?

On this Pentecost Sunday, the day we celebrate the fruit of unity in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the church of Jesus Christ, let's take a look at the Biblical warnings for NOT emphasizing true Biblical doctrine.

We get our first glimpse in the book of Jeremiah. Consider this text: "But they are altogether dull-hearted and foolish; A wooden idol is a worthless doctrine." (Jer 10:7 NKJV)
In this context, where Jeremiah is speaking out against idolatry, we find the term, "worthless doctrine". An idol is to be considered a worthless doctrine.

Now we don't have idols in our churches anymore, do we? I have visited many Christian churches, and there is never an idol made out of wood or stone as was seen in Biblical times.
But have we turned our pet denominational beliefs into idols?

No, I don't mean there is a corner monument dedicated to whatever doctrine is emphasized by any particular denomination. Nor do I mean that these beliefs are not Biblical and shouldn't be taught. But when we put our emphasis on teaching the things our denominations push instead of emphasizing the Biblical list of true doctrine, are we not setting up our teachings as a sort of idol? When we begin to see ourselves as superior to other Christians because of our belief in some specific doctrine, has not that doctrine become an idol? And as Jeremiah so eloquently states, an idol "is a worthless doctrine"!
Another hint comes to us from the book of Romans: "Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offences, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them." (Rom 16:17-18 NKJV)

In other words, emphasizing things that are not considered True Doctrine causes division and offence.
I don't believe I need to spell out the evil workings of division and offence. We see this so vividly in our day and age. God's church is not unified, and as a result of our division and offence, the Gospel is not going forward in the way that it could and should!

What else can happen when we do not adequately emphasis the Biblical list of True Doctrine?
Let's consider one more text: "that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting . . ." (Eph 4:14 NKJV)

Friends, when we emphasize the wrong kind of doctrine, we are caused to be "tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine . . ."! The only way to stand with our feet firmly planted in the Rock, Jesus, is given to us in the verse prior to this one: ". . . Till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ . . ." (Eph 4:13 NKJV)

In conclusion of this series, there is one more important point. Let's look at the exchange Jesus had with the Pharisees of His day: ". . . The weightier (more important) matters of the Law -Right and justice and mercy and fidelity. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others." (Matt 23:23 AMP).

So what is Jesus saying when He says, "Without neglecting the other"?
He's saying we SHOULD teach what we see as Biblical Truth. But more importantly, we must NOT neglect what Jesus calls "the weightier matters", the true doctrine that is summed up so nicely by Jesus Himself: "right and justice and mercy and fidelity."
Friends, unless we are the pastors of our churches, we can't change what is preached from our pulpits. Nor should we criticize our pastors for what they preach. But we can let the fruit of true doctrine work themselves into our own lives, for it is only when we emphasize true Biblical doctrine, the doctrine of love and justice and mercy and fidelity, we will stand as one, unified in Christ, strengthened and empowered to show the Love of Christ to a hungry and thirsty generation!

On this Pentecost Sunday, the day we celebrate the fruit of unity in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the church of Jesus Christ, let's stand together as one in love, mercy, justice, fidelity, sobriety, reverence, temperance, soundness in faith, and patience!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems (visit us), with Answers2Prayer Ministries (visit us).
Announcements:
Sometime early in His ministry, Jesus had an interesting encounter with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. We aren't told much about this particular Pharisee, but Jesus' short encounter with him, recorded in John 3:3-20, is packed with essential life-giving nuggets of Truth. Please join us on Saturdays, starting after Father's Day, for a short mini-series entitled: JESUS AND NICODEMUS. A Study on Rebirth!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 25 May 2012, 6:38 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 24, 2012
PLANTED AND GROWING By Answers2Prayer
I walked down into an isolated part of the garden where we had planted some trees and shrubs. They had been there for a couple of years now and I wanted to see how they were doing.

The seasons had been good and the young trees were thriving. A couple were as tall as I and others were not far behind.

Then I noticed a curious thing growing near the tallest tree. There were broad leaves and a most beautiful red flower. It was large and quite spectacular and I wondered how it got there.

I had never grown such a plant and the flower was something I had never seen before. However I recognised the leaves as belonging to a certain family but had no idea how it had got into my garden. Somewhere, sometime, somebody had planted a seed and somehow some day the soil had been used around the tree we had bought. We watered the tree and the seed had come to life and now gave us this magnificent gift.

It reminded me that we are called to sow seed and Jesus said the seed is the word of God. Then some people hear the word and, like the seed sown on good soil, they accept it and produce a crop. (Mark 4:20).

We don't know how or where they grow or when and why they blossom but as Paul once said, "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow." (1st Corinthians 3:6)

Jesus has sent sowers all through the world planting seeds in His garden and like my blossom, God made them grow. Somebody planted you, somebody cared for you and now Jesus is looking for you to blossom where you were planted.

Elizabeth Price

Announcements:

Inspirational Readings by A.B. Simpson
Days of Heaven on Earth
Thursday, May 24, 2012

Jewels, in themselves, are valueless unless they are brought into contact with light. If they are put into certain positions they will reflect the beauty of the sun. There is no beauty in them otherwise. The diamond that is stored in a dark gallery or remains down in the deep mine displays no beauty whatever. What is it but a piece of charcoal, a bit of common carbon, unless it becomes a medium for reflecting light?

So it is also with the other precious gems. if they are many-sided, they reflect more light and display more beauty. In its crude state the diamond does not reflect light at all. We are in a crude state and are of no use until God comes and shines upon us. The light that is in a diamond is not its own possession; it is the beauty of the sun. What beauty is there in the child of God? Only the beauty of Jesus. We are His peculiar people, chosen to show forth the excellencies of Him who hath called us out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9). Let us reflect today His light and love.

Scripture
Where is the way where light dwelleth—Job 38:19
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 23 May 2012, 9:25 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 22, 2012
MIRACLES WITHIN MIRACLES, Part 3: Precision Bombing By Answers2Prayer

In the concluding part of the series on "Miracles' within miracles" today, we come into yet another amazing "silent" miracle occurring alongside a "thunderous" one...

Precision Bombing!

Joshua Chapter 10 records one of the most amazing Divine interventions ever in human history when a battle was fought as a part of greater war "the Conquest of Canaan (for understanding the nuances of the subject "Conquest of Canaan" please click on this link ). NO, NO, here at this stage, I neither intend to focus upon the event of sun and moon stopping in their tracks, consequent to Joshua's prayers (verses 12-15) nor do I desire to focus exclusively here about the enemies dying on account of the hailstorm (verse 11) which God unleashed upon the fleeing army. In the midst of these greater miracles, I want to focus upon a "silent miracle" that happened alongside them.

Also lets get straight some of the geo-historical aspects of this miracle, which happened when Joshua and his men were engaged in a battle with five Canaanite kings (Joshua 10:3-11). Close to the scene of the battle at Gibeon was Upper Beth-Horon, about ten miles distant, and approached by a gradual ascent through a long and precipitous ravine.

This was the first stage of the flight of the enemy forces, who realized as the battle progressed that they were no match to Divinely strengthened Joshua's army. The fugitives had crossed the high ridge of Upper Beth-Horon, and were in full flight down the descent to Beth-Horon the Nether.

The road between the two places is so rocky and rugged that there is a path made by means of steps cut in the rock. Down this pass Joshua continued his victorious rout. Here it was that the Lord interposed, assisting His people by means of a storm, which, having been probably gathering all day, burst with such irresistible fury, that "they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword."

Just as it is recorded in Job 38:22-23, sometimes God uses hailstorm to deadly effect in wars. The Oriental hailstorm is a terrific agent; the hailstones are masses of ice, large as walnuts, and sometimes as two fists; their prodigious size, and the violence with which they fall, make them always very injurious to property, and often fatal to life.

So even as these " natural bombs" from the skies were raining upon the fleeing army, has it ever occurred to us, where were Joshua and his men? Chasing their enemies, they were certainly not far away! Now did these "Heavenly bombs" fall upon them? NO! Welcome to the age of precision bombing! And those of us who think that precision bombing with guided missiles is a modern-day invention would do well to revise our opinions. Doesn't this miracle of hailstorm "not falling" upon the chasing Joshua's army awe us, as much as the miracle of it precisely hitting the scampering foes does? A case of yet another miracle within a miracle! Hallelujah!

By now the readers would have gauged the underlying principle behind all of these miracles. The one of God's faithful preservation of the faithful ones' amidst full-scale destruction! Psalmist also shares this sentiment in Psalm 91:7-8. What is the lesson these miracles (more than one, as though to underscore a point) hold for modern-day Christians living oh-so-close to the second coming and subsequent tribulation?

Having come under His saving grace, our present difficulties (varying in degree from person to person) on Earth aside, has God not promised to protect His people?

As a Bible teacher taking special classes on the Book of Revelation, I shudder sometimes, at the very thought of terrible woes awaiting the disobedient world. A detailed study of tribulation woes (Rev 6-19) would also reveal their similarity to the Egyptian woes. For one thing in both the cases it was just not one woe but a series of them. Also do not we see both of them gradually growing up in intensity? That is the second similarity. Then what about their impact on the wicked? Again we notice a similarity. Pharoah did not repent till the end and likewise nor would the wicked during the Tribulation time (Rev 9:20-21, 16:11). No wonder our God is said to be an unchanging God (Heb 13:8). Not only are His ways of dealing with the wicked still the same (intensity of punishment always increases gradually) but more importantly He is just as unchanging when it comes to preserving His faithful ones in the midst of calamities. If He has insulated His chosen ones from troubles in the past, will He not keep up His promise of keeping us insulated from the fiery times ahead? Is this not one more reason to praise our glorious Savior God?

HALLELUJAH...more loudly please. What price any theology, which doesn't end with doxology!

Prayer: Father, we praise Thee from the bottom of our hearts as the realization sinks in that You are the unchanging One...the One who faithfully protects His Chosen ones'amidst devastation. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
Visit my website here

Announcements:
It's the season of Pentecost, a time to celebrate when the early church united in prayer until the day when the Holy Spirit was poured out upon them. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. But just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Join us this Saturday for the conclusion of TRUE DOCTRINE: A PENTECOST MESSAGE.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 20 May 2012, 10:01 am

Welcome to the Nugget May 19, 2012
TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 4: The Biblical Definition of Doctrine By Answers2Prayer
Last week in TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 3, we took a look at the kinds of things that do not support sound doctrine. Things like sins of sexual immorality, murder, dishonesty, etc. We also saw that anything that causes dispute rather than Godly edification is considered to be contrary to sound doctrine, including the often heated arguments about differences in beliefs!

But what does the Bible call "sound doctrine"?

The Apostle Paul is very specific about what is "contrary" to sound doctrine, and he also doesn't leave us in the dark about what constitutes sound doctrine. Let's go to the book of Titus:
"But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things - That they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, In all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you." (Titus 2:1-8 NKJV)
Friends, we can have differing opinions about the version of the Bible we like to read. We can differ in the emphasis we put on certain Biblical Truths. We may even differ in our interpretation of prophecy. But we are commissioned to teach what the Bible defines as "sound doctrine" -- to be sober, to be reverent and temperate and sound in faith, and to love and have patience, etc. -- so that we may stand as ONE!

But are these "doctrines" supported throughout the rest of the Bible?

Let's look at Prov 4:2: "For I give you good doctrine: Do not forsake my law." (NKJV)

And just what is that law?

Jesus sums it up as follows: "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind." (Matt. 22:37 NKJV)!

So does being sober and reverent and temperate fall into these categories?

Most definitely.
And what of patience, love, honesty, and reverence towards God?

Absolutely.

Let's take a look at another passage: "But Jesus rebuked him, saying, 'Be quiet, and come out of him!' And when the unclean spirit had convulsed him and cried out with a loud voice, he came out of him. Then they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, 'What is this? What new doctrine is this? For with authority He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey Him.'" (Mark 1:25-28 NKJV)
This passage speaks of yet another kind of doctrine: The doctrine of authority over evil spirits. Now there's a doctrine not often seen in our mainline denominations! Yet this was a vital part of Jesus' ministry. He came to set the captives free! "The Lord gives freedom to the prisoners." (Ps 146:7 NKJV)

And what about this verse? "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me." (John 7: 16 NKJV). Here Jesus is telling us that doctrine is not of human definition, but rather, it is the doctrine of God Himself!

Friends, nowhere in the Bible is true doctrine anything but in 100% accordance with what Jesus' commands us: To love God and to love one another.

I don't know about you, but I want to stop arguing with my fellow Christians. I want to learn to love them and to respect them, especially when we may not agree. I want to stand beside them as ONE, so that the world may see the God has sent me.

If you would like to take this stand with me, please email me by clicking here.

Join us next week for one more lesson on True Doctrine: TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 5: What Happens when True Doctrine is NOT Taught?

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems (visit us), with Answers2Prayer Ministries (visit us).
Announcements:
Join us on Tuesdays this month for MIRACLES WITHIN MIRACLES, a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 18 May 2012, 8:02 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 17, 2012
WHY? By Answers2Prayer

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace." (John 16:33)

If I live to be a hundred there are some things I will never understand. Why do some people live through illnesses and some die? Why do some people have debilitating diseases and others perfect health? Why do some have plenty of money and others struggle to survive? Why do some get caught and others go free? Why?

Don't we all wonder about these questions? I do from time to time, and my answer is always the same, "I don't know." I don't know much, and even less the older I get. My list of questions I want to ask when I get to heaven is long, and getting longer.

In this life there are a lot of mysteries. We will not humanly understand many things. We are not even supposed to. Underlying all the unknowns is the one great thing we do know: God is still on his throne. He is still sovereign, still in charge. He knows what is going on. He doesn't just wake up one morning, look down, and say, "Oh my goodness! Look at that!!"

There may be times we can't trust in the system, in people, or in circumstances, and we are asking why. But we can trust in the Lord God. And the promise is that one day, every tear shall be wiped away. Every sickness, every injustice, every heartache.

Jesus said we will surely have troubles here on earth, but to be undaunted and confident because He has overcome the world's power to harm us permanently.

Bottom-line, the answer to "Why" is . . . Hang onto the promise, and hold onto the the Lord.

Sally I. Kennedy, 2012
Please visit my website

Announcements:
Welcome to all new Nugget subscribers!
We hope and pray that you will find this newsletter a blessing to you and to your families. God bless each of you as you strive to draw closer to Him!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 16 May 2012, 9:52 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 15, 2012
MIRACLES WITHIN MIRACLES, Part 2: Standing Tall on a Crumbling Wall By Answers2Prayer

Continuing with the series on "Miracles within miracles" today, we come into yet another "silent" miracle occurring alongside a "loud" one...

STANDING TALL ON A CRUMBLING WALL!!!

If Goshen without a wall was safe in God's hands, then the city of Jericho despite a robust wall around it was hapless before the marauding Joshua's army (Numbers 14:9), which brings us to the Rahab story ... to ponder awhile on yet another miracle, not often talked about. Frankly, the Rahab's daring faith and her subsequent rescue and rehabilitation story (Joshua 2 and 6) never ceases to surprise the Biblical scholars. The more one digs into that, more are the insights representing a rare treasure, waiting to be revealed.

So as the Jericho wall miraculously fell (Joshua 6:20), where was Rahab? Since she knew going outside her house at the time of conquest would be a breach of the covenant, she had entered into with the spies (Joshua 2:17-21), she with her relatives shepherded into the safety of the house were ensconced therein. Oh yes, there was a scarlet robe tied to the window, hanging outside. At this moment, we can well imagine she with all her relatives waiting with bated breath for the Jericho wall to collapse or be breached with battering rams and the city to be conquered. In case, we have forgotten, where was her house? ON THE WALL!!! Look once again, at her amazing faith. Stretching our imagination a bit, we can well visualize her relatives whispering into her ears, the danger of remaining inside a house with a shaky foundation, but Praise God for her unshakable faith at that time, even as she held fast to her oath of staying put inside her house. By faith she knew that while the entire wall or a section of it surrounding the Jericho city would collapse, that portion of it on which her house rested wouldn't. That's exactly what happened. Even as that of others like Jericho wall itself collapsed like a pack of cards, her house as though in the safety of His palm, remained untouched by the rumble all around! Hallelujah!

If felling of Jericho wall, again not a finger of His people needed to be raised, was a mighty miracle, then that of Rahab's house standing tall amidst ruins was the very definition of a miracle within a miracle. There it Stood, symbolic, as it were, of her unshakeable faith, even as that of her city dwellers very much like their relationship with the Lord lay in ruins.

Even as we praise God on reading the account of a crumbled Jericho wall, let's not forget to praise Him for Rahab's house, which stood tall amidst ruins!

Prayer: Father, we praise Thee for "silent" miracles within the "thundering ones". For preservation of Your dear ones' amidst devastation. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Please join us next Tuesday for MIRACLES WITHIN MIRACLES, Part 3.

Suresh Manoharan
Visit my website here

Announcements:
It's the season of Pentecost, a time to celebrate when the early church united in prayer until the day when the Holy Spirit was poured out upon them. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. But just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Join us on Saturdays between now and Pentecost Sunday for TRUE DOCTRINE: A PENTECOST MESSAGE and find out!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 13 May 2012, 4:21 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 12, 2012
GOD OUR - MOTHER??? A Mother's Day Address By Answers2Prayer
"As one whom his mother comforts, So I will comfort you" (Isa 66:11 NKJV)
A popular, highly acclaimed Christian book, The Shack, was harshly criticized in my Christian circles due to its portrayal of God as a motherly woman.

I understand their objections. With 6000 years of tradition saying that God is "our Father", to say nothing of the fact that this is the title He uses Himself, thinking of God as a mother is a bit hard to swallow!

Nevertheless, I personally have no problem with this concept.

Why not?

Because I am well aware that God has given innate talents to mothers that, though very different from those given to father, are vital for the well-being of a child!

Does the fact that God refers to Himself as our "Father" mean that a father's talents are carbon-copies of God, while a mother's talents are pulled out of nowhere?

I don't think so. You see, God portrays many fatherly traits, but He portrays many motherly ones as well. He is our comforter, He hurts when we hurt, He nurtures us, He provides us with our food and our clothing, and He teaches us the vital lessons we need in life. And these are all things we normally attribute to mothers!

Yesterday, my youngest son, who has had his driver's license for just 3 months, was involved in a motor vehicle accident. He was stopped at a stoplight when a car pulled up behind him and stopped as well. 2-3 minutes later, BAMMMM! The stopped car behind him was rear-ended hard enough to slam into the back of our van.

Thank God, my son was completely uninjured, and the van got off without a scratch. Apparently the trailer hitch took the brunt of the hit, and other than a head ache suffered by my son's passenger, there were no negative effects of the accident whatsoever. As an added bonus, when the police took his driver's license and insurance, they were quick to assured him that he would not in any way be faulted for the accident.

We also thank God that those in the other two cars were uninjured. Unfortunately, however, their vehicles didn't fare as well. The middle car ended up looking something like a pancake, while the rear car, the one responsible for the accident, also went away with pretty severe damages.

But what did my son do as soon as the accident occurred? He pulled out his cell phone and sent text messages to his brother, his father, and his mother.

Why?

Because he needed emotional support.

He saw his brother a few minutes later, and apparently his father also responded quickly via text. Unfortunately however, I wasn't at my desk and I didn't get his text until sometime later. When he didn't hear from me immediately, he called me, and once I was back home, my emotionally-shaken up boy clung to me for the rest of the evening.

Why? Wasn't the comfort of his father and brother enough?

It was vital and important, and he craved it, but when it was all said and done, he needed to hear from his mother. At that time of his life, only the support of his mother's would do.

Friends, when we are shaken up, when we have been emotionally battered and bruised, a mother's comfort is what we crave. God is our Heavenly Father, yes. But God is also the perfect source of the nurturing support and love that we experience from a mother. Not only is He there for us in the way a father should be, but He is also always there for us to wipe away our tears, to tell us it's going to be all right, and to hold our hands as we go on through life. God is EVERYTHING we need!

On this Mother's Day, remember that even when your earthly mother can't be there for you, there is a more perfect, ever-present mother figure that we can cling to: God - our Mother!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.
Announcements:
A very special HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all of you mothers! God knew what He was doing when He created mothers! You are very, very special people.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 11 May 2012, 3:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 10, 2012
TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 3: Contrary to Sound Doctrine By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 2, we saw that doctrine is indeed very important to God, so important that it is mentioned 37 times in the Bible. Yet despite this, it is doctrinal beliefs that drive Christians apart, that disrupt the unity that Jesus wants us to have.

Could it be that in our emphasis on doctrine we aren't using the correct definition of the word?

In my 23 year career as a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP), I have attended literally hundreds of professional workshops, conferences, and conventions. All of these have been for the same purpose: To provide SLPs with the best, most researched, evidence-based practices for our work.

It is interesting that before these conferences present techniques that are purported to be proven sound by research, they often first spend time helping SLPs understand that the techniques we may have used in the past have not proven effective.

Why is this?

Because any discussion about what is true and correct must also first disprove the popular beliefs that are not grounded in research.

And this is exactly what the Word of God does as well. Though it DOES define true doctrine, it also is very clear on what is contrary to sound doctrine. Let's look:
"... For the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine ..." (1 Tim 1:9b,10 NKJV)
Basically, the Apostle Paul tells us that things that are contrary to sound doctrine are things that are against the law of God!

So where is the clarification on the teachings that divide our churches?

Let's look:

". . . That you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine, nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith." (1 Tim 1:3-5 NKJV). Paul later refers to these same fables as "old wives' fables" (See 1 Tim 4:6-7 NKJV)

As I think of "fables" that have entered the church, a few come to mind. Take the Christmas story, for example. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Mary rode to Bethleham on a donkey. And neither does the Bible mention that the Wisemen were with the Shepherds at the stable. Rather it says they came to the "house" where Jesus was staying (See Matt 2:11).
But wait. These are pretty innocent, wouldn't you say? Are there more serious fables that have their root in tradition, rather than in God's Word?

I'm afraid that most of our discussions on doctrine would fall in this category, friends. You see, where there are two opinions, there is only one Truth. The word of God is clear that we must seek out that Truth and follow it, even if it goes against what our churches teach. Anything that is not 100% rooted in God's Word is but a fable!

But this seeking out Truth and teaching to others is the very thing that causes most of the division in our churches!

Paul is clear that we are not to heed things which "cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith." This means that if it causes dispute among the family of God, then it is contrary to sound doctrine!
Does this include our disputes over interpretation of prophecy?

You bet.

And what about our disagreement on when and how people are to be baptized? And the beliefs on the giftings of the Holy Spirit?

Another hit.

And it also includes any of our disagreements over any of the other things that we cover in our doctrinal battles, doesn't it?

But wait! Truth IS important! The Bible teaches us to seek out Truth!

Excellent point. We are ALL exhorted to seek Truth directly from God's Word, and we should share what we find, seeking clarification from other believers. But this MUST be done in Godly love! We cannot let our differences divide us!

Remember Jesus' words? "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and a house divided against a house falls." (Luke 11:17-18 NKJV)

Friends, we have to stop bickering over differences. Instead, we must ALL take it as our personal responsibility to seek Truth directly from the Word of God, even if that Truth is different from what our church teaches. We must always try, in love, to guide people into all Biblical Truth, but we must NOT let our disputes weaken the church of God by bringing dissention among God's children. For if we do, then we are pushing things that are contrary to sound doctrine.

Okay, but if all the things we think of as "doctrine" are actually contrary to true doctrine, than what IS true doctrine, anyway?

Join us next week for TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 4: The Biblical Definition of Doctrine

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.
Announcements:
Please join on Saturday next week for True Doctrine, Part 4:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 09 May 2012, 4:10 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 08, 2012
MIRACLES WITHIN MIRACLES, Part 1 By Answers2Prayer

First things first. Why are so many miracles recorded in the Scriptures? For us to be awed by the all-powerful ways of Almighty God and spontaneously praise Him in the spirit of adoration! The very purpose of our Creation is to worship Him (the very first declaration in Westminster Catechism, which encapsulates Christian faith best, testifies to this fact). Oh yes, reading about miracles also reinforces our faith in Him, to deliver us from our difficulties. Now permit me to sidetrack just a bit and visit the World of tennis or more precisely that of Davis cup!

Davis cup? Oh that poor country cousin of the Grand Slams, which the top stars usually shun? Whatever way one may view this team competition, I am a great fan of it for the simple reason, computer rankings go haywire once the DC tie begins, with patriotism ruling the roost. So you see "many upsets" in this competition, where a lower ranked player (high on patriotic adrenaline) often gets the better of a higher ranked one. Yet another fascinating aspect of Davis cup competition is that it packages and presents contests within contests.

Confused? Let me explain. While Davis cup competition primarily pits a country against a country, essentially within this broad contest, what keeps the spectators engaged is a contest within a contest of two players representing their national flags. Let's take the recent Davis cup final between Spain and Argentina for example. Even as an engaging contest was on between TWO COUNTRIES, there was that EXCITING CONTEST WITHIN A CONTEST, Between two baseline sluggers-Nadal and Del Porto. These two Grand slam champions going toe-to-toe provided for some lip-smacking stuff for many a tennis buff. Old timers would also nostalgically recall some classic DC contests ... notably the 6-hour marathon featuring Becker and McEnroe in a 1987 tie between Germany and USA or the Wilander, McEnroe epic (also of 6 hrs) in a 1982 contest between Sweden and USA. All these bring me to the like sounding spiritual theme ... "MIRACLES WITHIN MIRACLES" (high time some readers might say).

A bit dazed once again? Permit me to clarify at the outset before expounding this subject, further. We always praise God for many an awe-inspiring miracle in the Bible but have we praised Him for some "silent" miracles within "thundering" miracles. Not so much for felling a Goliath, as for silently "directing" the stone slung by the shepherd boy to its target!

In this series, I want bring to the fore three such extra-ordinary Biblical accounts under the following subheadings:

1. Gosh (en)! What a protected land without walls!
2. Standing tall on a crumbling Wall!
3. Precision bombing!

1. Gosh(en)! What a protected land without walls!

Goshen was the name of the district in which the Jews were penned (like sheep in a pen) in Egypt during the times of Moses. Gosh! What a land within Egypt! Is how any first time Bible reader would react on repeatedly coming across God's special protection of his special people living there, awaiting deliverance from slavery. Now once again, permit me to visit the World of sports (boxing ring to be precise, this time) to drive home a point (I never tire of reiterating the fact that God's Word by creative study needs to be enjoyed thoroughly). Normally, in a boxing bout, before the killer blow arrives there are a few "softening blows" which are anything but soft, setting up the stage for the final coup de grace. After that the scene of the victor standing triumphantly beside the vanquished lying limp in the canvas would invariably emerge. The fact of the matter is that the softening blows are just as important as the knockout punch. Ditto treatment of cancer; the preceding cycles of chemotherapy to root out the dreaded disease are just as vital as the final long session.

The Book of Exodus (Chapters 7-10) records a series of "Divine softening punches" Unleashed on the hard-hearted Pharoah, before the knock-out punch in the form of killing of the eldest offspring (Chapters 11-12) arrived. God "who donned the gloves" and fought on the "corner" of His unarmed chosen ones' (they obtained their independence without as much as raising their little finger against their oppressors) in the Egyptian soil unleashed one softening blow after another on the stubborn tyrant, who was hell bent on not releasing Jacob's descendents from the clutches of slavery. One such softening blow that preceded the knockout punch was the biggest hailstorm in Egyptian history that hit the Nation of Pyramids (Exodus 9:23-26). I am picking out and laying special emphasis on this miracle in the series of miracles that occurred before and after it only to bring home the fact that "silent miracles" do occur alongside "blaring" ones! While doubtless, we are awed by God's power in this miracle of whipping up a devastating hailstorm that levelled all of Egypt, what about a silent miracle, which accompanied this boisterous thunder, and lighting miracle? Verse 26 records pointedly "The only spot in all Egypt without hail that day was the land of Goshen where the people of Israel lived". Talk of an invisible wall of protection around the land of Goshen, which had no physical walls rising to the skies . . .

While, we may have praised God for the awe-inspiring miracle of unleashing rip-roaring storm upon the cruel despot have we ever praised Him for this "silent" miracle within the "thunderous" one? Speaking of storms, there is that story of a storm of great intensity hitting the high seas. It was so severe that the giant waves tossed the big ships about like paper cups in a big bowl of water. A few days after surviving the tumultuous ordeal, a captain of a ship was in a sailors' party. When he related this frightening, 'brush-with-death experience' with one of his friends, who had been in a submarine at almost the same place during the storm, the latter is said to have calmly quipped, "What storm"? Several hundred feet below the raging waves, he and his crew in a submarine had been in a serene world of their own.

A Jew of Moses' times in the City of Goshen in Egypt waiting for "Divine liberation" from the tyrannical Pharoah's yoke might well have asked the question "What storm" to his Egyptian acquaintance, when informed about the biggest hailstorm to have come upon the Egyptian soil!

As stated before in this essay, we see repeatedly the pattern of God's people being insulated in the land of Goshen amidst God-ordained calamities in the Book of Exodus. Before the hailstorm arrived, do we not see a similar pattern in the miracle of "swarm of flies" infesting the land or the plague on livestock (Ex 8,9). Later on, was there not normal light in Goshen even as night like pitch darkness pervaded rest of Egypt, -Ex 10: 21-23- and eventually even the case of death angel visiting only the Egyptian homes on the Passover night was an example of preservation of His chosen ones in the midst of devastation.

Prayer: Father, we praise Thee for "silent" miracles within the "thundering ones". For preservation of Your dear ones' amidst devastation. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Please join us next Tuesday for MIRACLES WITHIN MIRACLES, Part 2.

Suresh Manoharan
Visit my website here

Announcements:
It's the season of Pentecost, a time to celebrate when the early church united in prayer until the day when the Holy Spirit was poured out upon them. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. But just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Join us on Thursday this week for TRUE DOCTRINE: A PENTECOST MESSAGE!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 06 May 2012, 8:45 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 5, 2012
TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 2: Is Doctrine Important? By Answers2Prayer
It is nearing Pentecost. Wouldn't it be nice this year to experience the type of Pentecost that was experienced by the early church just after Jesus' Resurrection?

Last week, In TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 1, we saw that it was the unity in the church, the same unity that Jesus mentioned FIVE times in His final prayer, that contributed to that early growth. We also saw how our own unity is often broken by doctrinal differences, and how these differences can discourage people from the gospel message. As we approach Pentecost this year, I would like to challenge each of you to stand with me in prayer that we would put aside our doctrinal differences and stand as one, so that in the words of Jesus' prayer: " . . . That the world may know that You have sent Me . . ." (John 17:23 NKJV)

But wait a minute! Isn't doctrine important?

The Bible mentions the word "Doctrine" 37 times. I'd say that if God addresses this topic this many times, then it is safe to say that it is important to Him!

Consider the following texts:

"If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed." (1 Tim 4:6-7 NKJV)

"Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine." (1 Tim 4:13-14 NKJV)

"Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you." (1 Tim 4:16 NKJV)

"Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine." (1 Tim 5:17-18 NKJV)

"But you have carefully followed my doctrine …" (2 Tim 3:10 NKJV)

"…holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict." (Titus 1:9 NKJV)

The Word of God speaks for itself! I stand before you on the basis of God's Word: Doctrine IS important!

So if something is so important to God, then why is it that this same thing is causing a rift between Christians? Why is it keeping us from the unity Jesus prayed for? Why is it standing in the way of church growth?

But wait. Surely it isn't all that bad!

About 10 years ago, God called me out of the church I had been raised in. I was obedient to God's call, but I lost all my dear church friends. A few hung on for a while, but only to tell me that they were praying for me to see the truth and return to the church. Others sent email, gave phone calls, etc., to try to prove to me that I was wrong to leave. But in the end, I haven't heard from them in years.

About 5 years later, my family was attending a church that was in a town about 30 minutes away. We realized that as our boys were becoming involved with youth activities, we would either spend the next 6 years on the road, or we would have to find a local church home. A good friend knew we were searching for a new church home and lent me books and documents from her church. I looked at her books, but in the end, we decided to transfer our membership to a different church. I never heard from this friend again.

Isolated incidents specific to certain denominations? Unfortunately, no. I hear these types of stories all the time.

So why do these kinds of things happen?

Because of doctrinal differences.

But wait a minute. If doctrine is so important, but we can't agree about doctrine, then we're at a stalemate, aren't we? And all the while, the on-looking world sees nothing in us that would make them desire to accept the Good News of Jesus Christ.

It has been my observation that denominational differences are usually not a result of emphasizing non-Biblical teachings, but rather because of emphasis being put on one Biblical teaching over another, with each denomination emphasizing a different Biblical teaching. For example, some emphasize the gifts of the Holy Spirit, others emphasize the doctrine of baptism, and still others emphasize community love, etc. All are important Biblical teachings. But when the Bible refers to doctrine, is this what it is referring to?

Friends, I am pleased to announce that God has not left us in the dark on this question. The Bible is, in fact, very clear about what constitutes true, correct doctrine and what is considered "contrary" to sound doctrine. Please join us next Thursday for TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 3: Contrary to Sound Doctrine . . .

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements:
Due to the upcoming Mother's Day, True Doctrine, Part 3 will be appearing on Thursday, May 10, 2012. Parts 4 and 5 will be appearing on Saturday May 19 and Saturday May 26, respectively. Please join us then!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 04 May 2012, 8:11 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 3, 2012
A PLACE AT THE TABLE By Answers2Prayer
"Tell those who are invited, Behold, I have prepared my banquet; my bullocks and my fat calves are killed, and everything is prepared; come to the wedding feast." (Matt 22:4 AMP)

I was sitting at the kitchen table this afternoon eating my dinner. My two hungry boys had already finished theirs and taken their plates to the sink. I wasn't in a hurry, however. Outside my kitchen window a mother deer and her two fawns were eating fallen apples around the Apple tree at the far end of the meadow. Watching them delight in their Heaven sent snack made my own dinner taste even better so I ate my rice slowly and enjoyed the view.

When I was down to just a few spoonfuls left I felt thirsty and got up to get myself another cold glass of iced tea. When I turned back to the table, though, I saw my little dog standing on it finishing off the last of my rice. She had jumped up on my pushed out chair, bounded up on the table, and made short work of what was left of my dinner. When she was done she looked up at me with grateful, big, brown eyes and I didn't have the heart to scold her.

After I put my licked clean plate in the sink I petted my dog and smiled. I thought of my Heavenly Father who loved me so much. He didn't offer me the left over scraps of life but instead prepared me a daily feast of love, joy, friendship, family, beauty, and laughter. Each day I found my plate full to overflowing with all the blessings God wanted me to have. Each day I was given not only my daily bread but also His loving company while I ate it. Each day I found the chair pushed out and my place at the table waiting for me to join in this banquet of life. All I had to do was sit down, eat, and ask others to join me as well.

That invitation isn't just extended to me either. God wants all of you to join in this banquet. God wants all of you to share in all the good things in life that nourish our souls. God wants all of you to bring others to the table as well. Don't let the feast of life pass you by then. As my old Italian Grandma used to say, "Mangia, Mangia," (Eat, Eat)!

By: Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements:
Burdened by endless trouble? Feel like you're stuck in the valleys of problems? Wonder why you can't spend at least SOME time on the mountain tops? Check out MOUNTAIN TOP EXPERIENCES, an eight part mini-series designed to help us view the peaks and valleys of life from GOD'S perspective! www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder10/mountain_top_experiences.htm
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 02 May 2012, 8:07 pm

Welcome to the Nugget May 1, 2012
LESSONS ON LOVE FROM 1 CORINTHIANS 13, Part 15: As I am Fully Known By Answers2Prayer

"For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

You are "fully known" by God. He formed you in your mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13) He has written you on the palms of His hands. (Isaiah 49:16) He has drawn you with loving-kindness. (Jeremiah 13:3) As hard as it is to imagine, He has seen all of the days of our lives before we were even born. Ephesians 1:4 says, "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight." God knew, before He even MADE the world, everyone who would ever live, all they would ever do and become throughout all of eternity and beyond, because God is not bound by time and space as we are. He is everywhere, all of the time. This is why we only "know in part": in our frail human form we could not bear the weight of such knowledge. Therefore, we should put our WHOLE trust in the One Who not only judges rightly but literally knows us better than we know ourselves and has our ultimate good in mind.

It boggles the mind to think that our righteous, holy God knew all we would ever do, how we would reject Him and bring shame to His name over and over and over, how some would NEVER bow their knee to Him willingly but would refuse to believe, even in the face of the overwhelming evidence for God, and yet He still chose to set His love upon us and to woo us and pursue us until the end of the age, wanting ALL to come to repentance and for none to be lost. This is why this verse, in the midst of a discourse on love, fits so perfectly. We have to ask ourselves, if we knew all that would happen, how our friends and loved ones would wound and betray and reject us, would we still CHOOSE to love them? I think in many cases, or maybe even most, the answer would be no. "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us". (Romans 5:8) In the face of overwhelming unrighteousness and unbelief, God STILL loves us with all His heart. Can we do less than love Him in return? We do but still He pursues. That is AMAZING LOVE. How can it be? And yet, it is.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor. 13:13)

Yours in love and in Christ,
Sonya Richards

Announcements:
It's the season of Pentecost, a time to celebrate when the early church united in prayer until the day when the Holy Spirit was poured out upon them. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. But just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Join us on Saturdays between now and Pentecost Sunday for TRUE DOCTRINE: A PENTECOST MESSAGE and find out!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:16 pm

Welcome to the Nugget April 28, 2012
TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 1: A Pentecost Message -- Introduction By Answers2Prayer
Two boys stood neck to neck in the school yard, screaming at the top of their lungs. Their faces were red, their fists were raised, and the entire neighborhood could hear their argument:

"This school is the best because we have the best band!"

"No! It's the best in the neighborhood because we have a new building!"

A young mom stood at the fence to this school, gripping the hands of her two children. She was new to this town and had heard of the school's excellent reputation. But she shook her head sadly as she turned away. How could this be the best school for her children, when its students couldn't get along?

As I read this story, I am saddened, for I see this same scenario happening in the Christian church. People are not turned away because of Jesus, they are turned away because of us, because we, as Christians, can't get along.

It is the season of Pentecost. The time when we remember the days that passed between Jesus' death and resurrection and the coming of the Holy Spirit.

I don't know about you, but I would have loved to have been there, to have seen those 3000 people coming to the Lord as a result of one sermon, to have witnessed the miracles that resulted, and how the church of Jesus Christ grew in leaps and bounds.

Why don't we see this type of church growth in our day and age?

I'm sure there are many important reasons why the early church grew so rapidly, vital things like faith and love and prayer, and it could be argued that our churches today lack all three of these things. But I would like to suggest there might be something more . . .

Let's consider for a moment how the earliest believers spent their time between the Resurrection and Pentecost: "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication . . ." (Acts 1:14 NKJV)

The key operative here, friends is "one accord". These believers were in unity with one another! We are also told these early believers sold their belongings and pooled their resources, and it wasn't uncommon for them to spend hours, even days in prayer together (Acts 4:23-31, Acts 12, etc).

But is unity really what made the difference here?

Let's consider Jesus' final address to His disciples (John 13-17). In Chapter 17 of John alone, Jesus asks the Father that we would be "One". Not once. Not twice. But FIVE times!

Have a look:

"that they may be ONE as We are." (John 17:11 NKJV)

"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be ONE, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You ..." (John 17:20 NKJV)

"...that they also may be ONE in Us ..." (John 17:21 NKJV)

"And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are ONE ..." (John 17:22 NKJV)

"I in them, and You in Me; THAT THEY MAY BE MADE PERFECT IN ONE, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." (John 17:23 NKJV)

It's said that when God repeats Himself, He is really trying to get our attention. What about when He repeats Himself FIVE times? Shouldn't that be a real "a-ha" moment?

But wait. Am I being too harsh here? Are Christians really all that disunited?

I must say that I have been increasingly frustrated of late. People often complain to this ministry that a certain version of the Bible was not referenced, a certain doctrinal belief was not (or was) emphasized, or an interpretation of prophecy that was different than their own was presented.

But isn't this to be expected? This is, after all, not a denominationally-specific ministry. Rather it is set up to help everyone, no matter what church we attend. But when we nit-pick over such things, aren't we missing the more important point God is trying to teach us?

It is true that there will be differences among us. We are not all carbon copies of one another. But do we have to let our doctrinal differences divide us? Are our individual doctrines really all that important?

Over the course of time between now and Pentecost Sunday, we will be looking at the Biblical definition of doctrine, and we will see that despite the different things emphasized in each of our denominations, it is possible, by focussing on the "true doctrine" outlined in the Bible, to stand as one, in unity.

I challenge each of you today, as you go through these next four studies, to commit with me to put aside our differences and to focus instead on true doctrine. I challenge you to stand with your fellow Christians in prayer as one, for only then will the world see that Jesus has sent us. Only then will it be drawn to the Gospel message. Only then will we see the miracles of church growth happen again!

Please join us next Saturday for TRUE DOCTRINE, Part 2: Is Doctrine Important?

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Speech-Language Pathologist, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Announcements:
Are you frustrated with an ineffective prayer life? God does answer prayers, my friend. Why don't you come to Answers2Prayer http://www.answers2prayer.org/ and discover the power of prayer for yourself?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 27 Apr 2012, 8:43 pm

Welcome to the Nugget April 26, 2012
T-SHIRT CITY By Answers2Prayer

"How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered. I cant even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!" (Psalm 139:17,18)

T-shirt City. That's the corner of the closet where our T-shirts live, quite a few in fact.

Some of the citizens of the city are more than thirty-five years old, some newbies at less than a year. Most of them come from trips; favorites are one from NYC, an Elvis shirt from TN, and another from a family reunion in CO. The best of all are those with the kids' drawings on it or photos of family members.

T-shirts can be personal items having sentimental value. They can be hard to part with and easy to pile up. Collectibles. Seldom worn yet treasured and stockpiled.

God says He treasures us (a) and saves us (b). He could never part with one us. Ever. He sees the sad times, when He collects our tears and saves them in a gigantic heavenly sized bottle (c). He sees the happy times, like the the family reunion shirts (d).

He is always in remembrance of us; yes, we are always on His mind (e). Betcha the whole of heaven is like T-shirt city. What an awesome wonderful Father GOD we have.

That is good news.

(a) You are precious to me. "You are honored, and I love you." (Is 43:4b) "Anyone who harms you harms my most precious possession." (Zechariah 2:8b)

(b) "I, the Lord, am your Savior and your Redeemer." (Isaiah 49:26)

c) "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." (Psalm 56:8)

(d) "For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs." (Zephaniah 3:17)

(e) "See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands." (Isaiah 49:16a)

Sally I. Kennedy, 2011 http://www.sallyikennedy.com

Announcements:
Great news! Answers2Prayer has a webpage offering 68 Online Bibles available in different languages. Please visit us at: http://www.answers2prayer.org/bibles.html If you know of an online Bible in a language that we do not yet have available, please let us know by sending an e-mail to prayer@answers2prayer.org . Thank you my friends.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next