World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 25 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 25 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Biden Bless/Abortions with cross sign
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyToday at 2:02 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyToday at 2:01 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyToday at 1:51 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyToday at 1:49 pm by Admin

» Haggadah Passover
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyYesterday at 10:45 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyYesterday at 10:03 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyYesterday at 9:12 pm by Admin

» The Great Tragedy - Greg Laurie Devotion
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyYesterday at 8:27 pm by Admin

» BooK of Revelation Various
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyYesterday at 5:00 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:53 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:46 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:43 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:02 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 10:51 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 10:31 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 8:33 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 8:28 pm by Admin

» Celebrate the Feast of Moshiach
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 7:04 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 11:19 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 11:09 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Fri 01 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
ON TOP OF THE WORLD

"O Sovereign Lord, you have only begun to show your greatness and the strength of your hand to me, your servant. Is there any god in heaven or on earth who can perform such great and mighty deeds as you do?" (Deuteronomy 3:24)
Don’t you love being ‘on top of the world’? It’s a great feeling. Everything seems to be going j-u-s-t right. Gotta love those times.
Yesterday when I parked at the supermarket lot, I gazed up at the extraordinary blue. What a day. One of those chamber-of-commerce afternoons where the vivid green of the trees met the deep blue sundrenched sky.
On the highest part of a tall streetlight, a mockingbird was comfortably perched. Checking things out, taking a rest. There he was, on top of his world
Most days that aren’t those mountain-peak highs since we live in the valley called everyday life- the average, the ups, the downs.
Sometimes these times are a little harder to like and accept than when we’re feeling tip-top. I’ve heard questions like, “So where was God anyway? Why did He let it happen?”, “God didn’t answer my prayers about that”.
Here is some good news: no matter what it seems like, no matter what is going on, God is still sovereign. He is still in the midst, keeping every one of His promises (something like 7,000 of them in the Bible). He’s not distant, He’s not uncaring nor uninvolved. He is a personal God, wanting the best for His children and a close relationship with them.
The Word of the Lord is truth; here are a few verses that have helped me gain a more ‘on top of the world’ perspective in my everyday walk:
"For you, O Lord, are the Most High over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods." (Psalm 97:9)

"Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all." (1 Chronicles 29:11)

"Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and let your glory be over all the earth." (Psalm 108:5)

"O Lord Almighty, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth." (Isaiah 37:16)

"now, our God, the great God, God majestic and terrible, loyal in covenant and love, Don't treat lightly the trouble that has come to us ..." (Nehemiah 9:32)

"But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." (Psalm 73:28)

"Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let them say among the nations, 'The Lord reigns!'" (1 Chronicles 16:31)
Inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy

Sally I. Kennedy, ©2010
http://www.sallyikennedy.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:06 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
A SUNBATHER
"Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'" (Matt 25:37-40 NKJV)

It was an early Spring morning. The sun was out but the chill of Winter past was still fighting against the warmth of Spring. I was driving down a quiet country lane and heading home after running some errands. As I was rounding a curve I saw a rock up ahead in the middle of the road. As I slowed to go around it, I noticed too that it had a head and was staring up at me. It was a turtle who had decided to warm up by sunbathing on the asphalt.
I pulled over to the side of the road and picked up the sunbather. I knew if I moved the turtle off to the side of the road he would just crawl back to the warmer spot as soon as I left. Not knowing what else to do then I carried him to my car and placed him on the passenger seat. As I drove home I would glance over every so often and see the distrusting eyes glaring back at me from within his shell. I tried to comfort him with a few gentle words, but they had no effect.
When I finally made it home I picked up the sunbather again and headed to the woods behind my house. After looking around a bit I saw a clear spot where the sun was shining down on a single rock. I gently placed the turtle down on it and took a few steps back. A few minutes later the head slowly emerged and started soaking up the sun once more. I smiled and headed back to my house. My simple act of kindness may not have seemed like much in the eyes of the world, but it made a difference in the life of one turtle and in the heart of one man.
Most of us go through our lives wanting to make some big difference in this world. In the eyes of Heaven, however, any kind act no matter how small makes a difference. God loves you and He only wants you to do what you can, with what you have, whenever you get a chance. We help God the most too not with some big act of courage but rather with a thousand little acts of love.

Remember this then the next time you see a person or a turtle needing a helping hand.
By: Joseph J. Mazzella
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm

Today's Devotional:
THE RAINBOW

It was summer. That season I always anticipate with great joy and excitement. That season where things warm up and dry up. That season where I don't have to worry about weather concerns when planning my beloved outdoor activities. The season where I have the time to pursue the activities I love so much.
Only one problem: We had been experiences days upon end of continuous rain! Where was my warm, dry weather? Where was my freedom to spend time outdoors?
Needless to say, I was pretty depressed. All my dreams for this season were literally being washed away.
But then, as I was driving down the road one rainy afternoon, grumbling to myself about the less-than-ideal weather, I saw it: That ancient sign of God's promise-A rainbow. As it arched itself across the sky with its brilliance of colour, I couldn't help but revel in its beauty. And I couldn't help but remember the promise of the rainbow:
"'I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.' And God said to Noah, 'This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.'" (Gen 9:13-17 NKJV)
The rainbow is a sign of promise. It is to remind us that the waters will NOT always wash down from the sky, the floods will NOT always rise up from the depths. The rainbow is a promise that God WILL provide!
And as I looked at that arc of color, nearly encircling the evening sky, I realized that it was more than this to me at that moment in time. It was also a reminder that God knows what I need to be happy. Though I may think I need beautiful weather, God knows that no matter what the skies are doing outside, all I really need is Him!
It was one of those little "aha" moments, a tiny little rebuke designed to set me back on the right path, for in that moment I realized that instead of relying on God for my happiness, I was relying on my outdoor activities! I had set them up as a little "god" in my life!
I repented immediately and was amazed at how the sense of melancholy I had been harbouring just disappeared! I had all I needed to be happy! I had my Lord and Saviour, my God!
But the story didn't end there. You see, that rainbow served yet another purpose that rainy evening. Rainbows form because the sun's light is shining through the cloud, reflecting off of the millions of tiny water droplets in the air! A rainbow is a sign that the sun will again return!
And it did. The very next day. And that was the end of our rain.
So often in life we become surrounded by circumstances that are less than ideal. Things happen that ruin our plans, ruin our visions of happiness, ruin our definitions of peace. These circumstances become so big that we forget one important Truth: God is bigger, and no matter what we are facing at any moment in time, The Son WILL shine through!
Don't believe it?
Let's remember for a moment the circumstances around the first rainbow: God had just brought a global flood that had destroyed the entire planet. He had saved just 8 people, Noah and his family. They had been forced to weather the storm bouncing up and down on a huge ship for 40 days, and then had been forced to stay aboard that same ship for over a year while the Earth dried out. When they were finally able to exit the boat, the world, as they had known it, was gone. The weather patterns as they had known them were gone. They were, in a sense, cast upon an isolated "island" with nothing but what they had brought with them on the ark.
Were they scared?
They had every right to be!
But God hung His rainbow in the sky as a promise: The God who brought you through this storm will NEVER abandon you! The Son WILL shine through the problems, and He WILL be glorified in whatever bad things are happening!
Friends, our circumstances may be gigantic. But they are not worse than those that Noah faced on that day when God gave the ultimate promise through His rainbow! Remember, the Son WILL shine through your problems! God will bring you through! Your job is simply to rest in Him and let Him do His work.
Oh, and the next time you see a rainbow? Let it be a reminder to you that God is bigger than whatever it is you are facing!
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
SKIPPING STONES WITH GOD
I took my boys, 5 and 8, down to the Milwaukee Lakefront and was teaching them to skip rocks. It is so satisfying to see one skip off into the distance and disappear from view, riding the waves. Ok, so I have never been that good...but two or three skips in a row still looks cool. More often than not, though, the rocks the boys picked were too big, and sunk with a giant bubbling thunk. Still cool, but not really the goal...or so I thought.
When I turn on my computer in the morning, the first email I read is the KLOVE radio station verse of the day. Then I read a few online devotions. All good stuff. Each thing I read makes me nod my head and say, Ooh...that's good. Now I have a friend sending me devotionals, which I read, and say, Oooh...that's good. Then, I might work on a Bible study, or read a devo in a magazine, and say...yup, you guessed it...ooh...that's good. Then, midway through the morning, when real life is setting in, I try to draw strength from the Lord. With everything I have read, you'd think something would stick. But it doesn't, because I have been skipping stones with God.
Instead of a big satisfying thunk of a bubble, as His Word sinks to the bottom of my soul, forming a firm foundation in the sand of my life, it never really settles beneath the surface. What to do? What to give up? I think the answer lies in the word "illumination". When something catches your eye, and you can't stop going back to it, stop there. The Holy Spirit could very well be telling you that this is your big rock. Grab that one, and settle there for a bit. Ponder. Meditate. Dwell there. Watch for the bubble.
Father God, please grant that Your Word would dwell in us richly, not just scatter a few bubbles across the surface and keep moving. Yours are the Words of life, the Lamp to our feet. Please displace me with You, sending up a big bubble of surrender. Help all of us who are guilty of dabbling, but never really dwelling. In the Name of Him Who Makes All Things Possible, Amen. Not my strength, but Yours, Father
Debbie Giese
www.debbiegiese.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
JUST A BACK-UP PLAN?

Our family went to my husband's hometown to visit his mother and younger brother for Memorial Day weekend a few summers ago, about a three hour trip from our house. His twin brother had also come into town; in an effort to be “the good wife”, I encouraged my husband to go golfing with his brothers. I will keep the kids entertained, I said. No problem.

I sort of know how to get around in this town. The boys and I went to a park not too far from grandma's house, on a winding trek of a road that runs along the river. The temperature was warm, about 85 degrees and 85% humidity, so the sand that the boys started throwing at each other was able to really crust into their eyes and hair.

An hour later we’d had enough of the park. Let's find our way to Dairy Queen. By following my gut instincts and the river road, we eventually found our way into the city proper and to the DQ. Being really hot and sticky, I was ready to indulge in a small vanilla cone with chocolate dip. The boys had made their selections and we placed our order, the $4 in singles clutched in my gritty hands. It was then that I realized that $1.70 does not go into $4 three times Since that was all the money I had on me and I couldn't justify putting an ice cream cone on the charge card, I cancelled my own order.
So there we sat.
Two sandy sticky boys eating their treats, all the while complaining that they really wanted what the other one ordered but not interested in switching, and one hot crabby mama without a treat wondering if she actually knew the way back.

I was trying really hard to take the (figurative) high road, focusing on the scripture "I have learned to be content in all circumstances", with ice cream or without, hot and sweaty or cool and refreshed, and we eventually found our way back to Grandma's house. \

When my husband got back from his golf outing, I told him of our adventures. The trip to the park. My long-suffering trip to DQ. My eventual but questionable return trip to his mom's. I was one proud martyr, I tell you what.
He asked why I didn't use the money that he hides in the car for emergencies.

I had forgotten about that.
He asked why I didn't use the GPS.

I had forgotten about that, too.
He asked why I didn't just call him.

I was trying not to bother him.
Everything I needed at my fingertips, and I was too wrapped up in the drama of the day to remember.
Life gets like that sometimes. We get so caught up in whatever drama is besetting us at the time that we forget that we have resources to fall back on. More than fall back on...to be the first things we grab on to when the terrain gets rough.
God has not left us without means. "His divine power has given us everything needed for life and godliness." (2 Peter 1:3)
God has not left us without direction. "Your Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105
God is waiting for us to call on Him. "If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you." James 1:5
There is an independent streak in me that makes me want to do it myself, whatever it is, just to prove I can. But, there is a time and a place for that. The Bible reminds me that I will find rest when I come to Him. And that is way more refreshing than an ice cream cone, even on the hottest day.
Thoughts to Consider:
•What keeps you from calling out to God first, instead of as a last resort?
•Can you remember a time you chose not to use the resources available because you were determined to make it on your own?
•Do you feel like you are bothering God if you need His help?
Strength Builders
•God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. (James 4:6)
•All those who are arrogant are an abomination to the Lord. (Proverbs 16:5)
•Choose life so that you and your descendants may live,…holding fast to the Lord. (Deuteronomy 30:19-20)
It sure is nice to have warm summer memories during this time of the year!

In Him,
Debbie Giese
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD GUIDES, Part 4:
Why Worry About God's will for the Small Stuff?

In the last three parts to God Guides, we told the story of how God guided us in each step of the way for the purchase of a kitten. But wait a minute. That was a lot of effort and heartache! Why didn't we just go out and choose one? Why bother God with the small stuff?
Judges 19-21 tells the gruesome story of a man whose wife was killed in the city of Gibeah, by Benjamites. Now an entire series could be written on the events that led up to this brutal gang rape and murder, but suffice is to say, it was a inhumane story with fault being on all sides. In the end, the man actually cut his wife into 12 pieces and sent a piece of her body out into each of the tribes of Israel, and the message was clear: "No such deed has been done or seen from the day that the children of Israel came up from the land of Egypt until this day. Consider it, confer, and speak up!" (Judg 19:30 NKJV)
The Israelites banded against Benjamin that day and went up against them. Interestingly, they were not successful on their first two attempts, losing 30,000 men. But in the end, they annihilated Benjamin, killing men, women and children alike, until all that remained of this proud tribe of left-handers were 600 men.
Then Israel repented of their anger. In fact, they became very despondent, because there was now one less tribe in Israel! So they went out and annihilated Jabesh Gilead, killing all inhabitants except for 400 virgins. These they gave in marriage to the men left in Benjamin. But there were still 200 men without wives, so these were instructed to "steal" from the virgins who came up to dance before the Lord.
In the end, we see how one atrocity led to another. And another. And another!
So what does this have to do with asking God about every step of the way?
Just this: The people of Israel DIDN'T ask God for guidance in every step of the way! They initially asked Him if they should go up against Benjamin, and the Lord's answer was: "Go up against him." (Judg 20:23 NKJV) But notice that God didn't tell the people to annihilate an entire tribe. He just simply said, "Go up against him".
Why would God say this at all?
Because the people of Gibeah had committed a horrific crime. When Israel initially asked them to send out the perpetrators for punishment, the entire tribe sided with the gang rapers. The people needed to be punished to help them understand that this was not an appropriate way of acting. But if God had intended the entire tribe to be wiped out, He would have specified this, for there are other references in the Bible where God DID specify total annihilation of a people group.
After this initial inquiry of the Lord, it is of note that the people never again asked God for guidance. On their own, they annihilated Benjamin. They immediately regretted their actions and set out to right the situation. But two wrongs don't make a right, and in the end, one atrocity led to another and another.
How much bloodshed and heartache could have been prevented if the people had simply stopped to ask God's guidance each step of the way!
Friends, when we stop to ask God's opinion and guidance in every decision we make, we are assured that what will transpire will be 100% God's will. But more than this, we can ensure that we aren't just trying to correct wrongs, and in the process, making even bigger mistakes!
Our little kitten turned out to be exactly the right pet for us. She came to us at exactly the right time, and she is 100% what we hoped she would be, and more. She loves the dog. She has learned to not scratch the furniture. She comes to meet us at the door when we get home. She loves every one of us, and comes to us in turns, as if to say "No one needs to be jealous!" She isn't finicky. She isn't mouthy. She is so gentle with her play that it's hard to believe she hasn't been declawed. And the list could go on. But then, who's surprised that we ended up with the perfect kitten? After all, God led us to her!
This is the last lesson on God Guides in this series. If you have missed any of the first 3 lessons, they are published online at www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder10/god_guides.htm . Or you can email me at submissions@scripturalnuggets.org .
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
STAIRWAY TO THE MOON

I am told there is a place on the Western Australian coast where the full moon rising over mud flats causes an optical illusion.
From March to October each year, on three successive nights in each month, the full moon rising over the mud flats, creates the illusion of a stairway reaching to the moon. It sounds like a fairy tale and I would love to see it. I would want to walk up that stairway into a new experience and be a part of the magic.
Imagine walking to the moon on a beautiful staircase.
Once upon a time a young man saw something similar. He was running away from home. His father was dying and his brother was angry with him, so angry the young man feared for his life. Off he went and one night, alone and weary with walking, he put a stone under his head for a pillow and fell asleep.
He dreamed he saw a ladder leading from the ground right up to heaven and there were angels walking up and down it. Then at the bottom, God stood beside him. God introduced himself as the God of Abraham and his father, Isaac. God said to him ‘All the families of the earth will wish to be blessed as you and your descendants are blessed. I shall be with you to protect you wherever you go.’
The young man, Jacob, knew he would never be alone. There was a stairway to heaven and before he even put a foot on it, he knew the Lord was walking it with him.
I hope somebody has told the people in Western Australia about the stairway that goes up past the moon, right to heaven. It belongs to everyone who walks it with the Lord.
See Genesis 28:10-20.

Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
HIS BANNER OVER US IS LOVE
June fourteenth is Flag Day here in the United States. We fly this colorful banner to show our love and devotion to our country. It flies over many homes and businesses every day of the year, but on Flag Day others join in honoring this national symbol. It is a symbol of freedom and of triumph over tyranny and oppression. It is typically carried into battle, draped over the coffins of our fallen heroes, and used to decorate their graves to show our appreciation for their sacrifice in our fight for freedom. Whenever the National Anthem is played, our eyes automatically shift to that fluttering banner and our hearts swell with pride. It reminds us of what our country stands for.
May it also remind us of another special symbol and what it stands for -- the cross of Jesus Christ – a symbol of His sacrifice when He died on the cross to save us from our sins. A symbol of freedom from, and triumph over, sin and death for those who accept Him as Savior and Lord. A reminder that someday He will return for us and take us to live with Him forever. Oh, what a glorious day that will be! “He brought me to the banqueting house, And his banner over me was love." (Song of Solomon 2:4, NKJV)
Heavenly Father, just as our flag is known and loved all over this country, may we be faithful in sharing the banner of love offered to everyone by Jesus through His death on the cross, so that He, too, may be known and loved all over this world. Amen.

Donna J. Howard
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:22 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD GUIDES, Part 3:
Just the Right Kitten

In GOD GUIDES, Parts 1 and 2, I told the story of how God cares enough to give us guidance every step of every decision we have to make. All we have to do is ask. And in the end, His timing is ALWAYS right!
But though we had finally made the decision to purchase a Ragdoll kitten from a Niagara Cattery, there was still a big decision to make: Which kitten?
This, I figured, was my husband's responsibility. After all, it was to be his kitten!
And like my boys and I with every part of this purchase, he turned to the Lord for guidance.
His first decision was: Male or female.
Oh. And he had to decide on a name - Or potential boy names and girl names!
We told him about his kitten on Thursday morning, and I returned from work on Friday to find him all excited: "I know what I want!" He told me. "I want a male!"
"Great!" I said. But I was a bit surprised. He had always had female animals. "What made you come to that conclusion?"
"God!" Was the answer. "While driving to work, I asked God to help me think of a good name, and He gave me a great boy name! But when I asked Him to give me a girl name, I didn't get anything!"
"Great!" I repeated. "So what's his name going to be?"
"Roxy!" He said.
I stared at him, thinking maybe he was joking, but the earnest look in his eyes told me he wasn't. As he is from Europe, and English is his second language, I realized it was up to me to enlighten him: "Uh," I said, "Roxy is a girl name!"
His jaw dropped open, and a look of confusion came over his face. "But … But …"
Suddenly he wasn't so sure that he should take a boy. In fact, he wasn't sure that this was God's answer to him at all!
It wasn't much later when he asked me to join him in praying about whether we should be a boy kitty or a girl kitty. As is my custom, I went to my Bible, but I received three different messages. At first glance, the first two seemed to confirm "male", but the third most definitely said "female"!
Hum. Seemed kind of conflicting, doesn't it?
My husband came downstairs about then, beaming. "It's a boy!" He said. And he proceeded to show me the verses God had given him.
But the text wasn't clear. Yes, it mentioned men, but it did so in a way that made you think negatively about them. And when I looked back at the verses I had received that mentioned men, they were negative connotations as well! But the last verse I had received was very clear: "I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea …" (Rom 16:1-2 NKJV).
Suddenly it all fell into place for me. God was clearly telling us we should get a female!
But my husband wasn't convinced, and it wasn't my decision, so I said nothing. Instead I went outside to work in the yard. When I returned to the house, he was beaming. "Here's what I did!" He said.
He had been impressed by God to go to the story of Jonah, specifically Jonah 1, and the following phrases just jumped out at him:
"So they cast lots …" (Jonah 1:8 NKJV) and "Pick me up and throw me into the sea; then the sea will become calm for you." (Jonah 1:12 NKJV)
Now we're not the type to typically "cast lots", and he initially looked over this part to the "pick me" and "become calm". We could see by the pictures we had been given that the female he was considering was the calmer of the two choices, but he still wanted confirmation. As he read the text over another time the "cast lots" jumped out at him again. So he took two identical "tickets" - items he uses as motivators in his classroom. One was slightly longer than the other, and he mixed them up without looking. "If it's the female, help me to pick the shorter one," he prayed, "and the longer one for the male!" Then he picked one of the tickets - and it was the shorter one.
All the beacons fell into line. God's Word said "female", God gave him a female name, and now, God was confirming this with a version of "casting lots".
But wait a minute. Is it really necessary to go to such lengths to find out God's will? Would there have been anything wrong with just deciding which kitten to take?
Join us next week for GOD GUIDES, Part 4: Why Worry About God's Will for the Little Stuff?
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
FILLING THE BARREL

"But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." (2 Cor 9:6-9 NKJV)

I love it when God blesses us with bright, shining opportunities to help others. God always uses these opportunities to help us become better people as well. Sometimes, however, these opportunities come with difficulties. And they are the ones that challenge us the most.
I had just arrived at the grocery store the other day. My shopping list was long and my cash was short. It seemed like we had run out of everything at once. It looked like there was no way that I would be able to get all the food I needed for my family that week with the money I had.
As I walked in the store I noticed a big, blue barrel. On the side was a plea for food donations for the local food bank to help the needy. I glanced inside it. It was completely empty. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one struggling to make ends meet that week.
As I walked through the store, though, I couldn’t get that barrel out of my mind. With each food item I put in my cart I thought of all the people who couldn’t even afford to feed their own children right now. Finally, I picked up some extra boxes of noodles and put them in my cart. I prayed they would fill at least a few empty bellies that week. I knew if I had to I could put back something of my own to make up the difference. I paid for the groceries and had just enough to get them all. I smiled and walked to the barrel with an empty wallet but a full heart. As I dropped the boxes of noodles in the barrel I noticed too that it was slowly starting to fill up. I wasn’t the only one who had decided to help the hungry that day.
Every opportunity to help others is a gift from God. Every time we do help others God is helping us as well to become better and more loving people. We are here, after all, to love each other and to help each other. We are here to fill both empty barrels and empty hearts. We are here to live as God’s Children. May we always do so.

Announcements:

RELATIONSHIP SERIES
How's your relationship with God? Does it need a boost? Would you like to experience Him more fully in your life? Why not boost it with a series of studies on the Song of Solomon? Go to www.scripturalnuggets.org/folder3/lessons_on_relationship_from_solomon.htm
In His love,
Lyn Chaffart submissions@scripturalnuggets.org
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
PUBLICLY SPEAKING, Part 3
In the concluding part of our series on our publicly speaking/act, we focus on yet another pivotal part of Christian faith…

ANTICIPATION…

Ah the Blessed hope of the Church…eagerly anticipating the return of the Redeemer (Titus 2:13). The Saviour, in answer to the question (Matt 24:3/Luke 21:7) of His disciples about signs preceding His second coming, spoke about the proverbial Fig tree (Nation of Israel -Jeremiah 24) putting forth leaves again (prophecy that it would be reestablished) and the natural calamities (earthquakes, epidemics and tsunamis) occurring. The nation of Israel has been reborn publicly, and natural catastrophes are occurring in full media glare! Hey, it's all happening, and one needs to be deaf and blind to be oblivious to it! (For more on the chilling facts and figures of natural calamities, you may click the following link http://www.jandsmministries.com/rapturemessage3.asp.) Consider this verse "Down here on Earth, Nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by roaring seas' and strange tides" (Luke 21:25b TLB). Tsunami is the very definition of a strange tide. Not caused by cyclonic storms or hurricanes, as normal tidal waves are, but by an earthquake!
Stunning visuals (all over the media) of the devastating Tsunami, tossing cars and even ships like weightless empty paper cups, which has recently left Japan reeling, would remove doubt (in some skeptical souls) about the veracity of the Noah's Flood account in the Scriptures. Even as our hearts go out to the suffering lot in Japan, and we do everything possible to alleviate their suffering, should we not consider the Divine Sovereign will of God at this poignant moment?

Whilst speaking about the signs preceding His return, the Redeemer remarked that the World would be like in Noah's days (Matt 24:37) where violence and corruption would rule the roost (Genesis 6:12-13). Again, violence and corruptive scandals, too many to count, are PUBLICALLY hogging the limelight! Now why is the good Lord sending sign after sign (epidemics, earthquakes etc, all mentioned in Luke 21) to the unbelieving, skeptic world?

The answer is clear: In order that people will believe in Him, repent and set right their relationship with Him! (See 2 Peter 3:9) The Grace age is poised to end anytime, and its end will coincide with the rapture of the Church. The ordinary police charged with the responsibility of maintaining law and order will initially fire warning shots at an unruly mob indulging in arson before firing directly at them. Would not the God of Grace also fire some "warning shots" before "firing directly" with tribulation at the unrepentant lot? That's exactly what He is doing!

You are all aware that there are many interpretations of the end of time prophecy, one of which teaches that the church will be raptured BEFORE the great tribulation to save it from experiencing seven years of HELL ON EARTH (nothing less). Now there are other interpretations of end time prophecy, but what if this one is the correct interpretation? If so, the rapture will be terrific for the saved lot, but it will usher in terrible times for the unsaved ones. The natural calamities we see now, in relation to the tribulation, are a mere “trailer” (to use movie goers parlance) of THE REAL which is to arrive. You ain’t seen NOTHING yet! Where will the those poor souls left behind at the rapture hide when the World (during terrible tribulation) receives a Divine hiding? With the spirit of Noah warning the world before the Flood, I want to plead with folded hands before the undecided ones to not delay their decision about accepting Christ into their hearts. Get into the “Ark of Salvation” by Faith (ROMANS 10:8-10)! NOW!!!
If you do not want to listen to poor, weak Suresh Manoharan, listen at least to the man of substance in human history: Jesus Christ. He is speaking publicly through so many irrefutable signs about his imminent return. So typical of Him…isn't it? "He who testifies to these things says, 'Surely I am coming quickly.' Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!" (Rev 22:20) It is time you set about establishing a right relationship with the ONE who died on the Cross for your sins! Do not delay!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, when there so many signs abounding about the imminent rapture of the Church, enable us not only be individually alert but also alert others. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
http://www.jandsmministries.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD GUIDES, Part 2:
The Timing of it All

Last week, in God Guides, Part 1, we looked at a striking example of how God guides, even with the little stuff, in the story of how we decided to get a kitten, what kind of a kitten, and from where. But it wasn't until we looked back at the timing if it all that we were struck with how God's hand had been in the entire proceeding.
The decision to downsize our aviary was long in coming, but with no one in the house now having time to raise baby birds, we knew it was the right thing to do. But what would we do with our breeders? They weren't tame enough to keep as pets, and we would have to either separate them to keep them from laying, or shake up the eggs once they were laid to keep them from hatching. My soft heart wouldn't allow for either option, and though I am very against rehoming animals, it seemed to me to be the most humane choice.
But where? How?
I tried one day to put out a Kijiji ad for the cockatiel pair, but I had that strong feeling in my spirit that I shouldn't. So I waited.
It wasn't long after that that I got an email from a young man who had purchased one of my cockatiel babies. His baby had died. My policy was to replace any baby that died within the first year, but not having any more babies, I asked the young man, who I later learned was a Christian, if he would like my cockatiel pair. He jumped at the chance, saying it was an answer to his prayer.
Shortly thereafter I was contacted by someone in Alberta who was looking for breeding pairs of linnies. She wanted my birds, but not until late Spring. I had taken June 17 off of work to drive my mother to her eye surgery, and it worked out perfectly that my buyer wished for us to ship the birds on that date. Perfect. I wouldn't have to take another day off work to drive them to the airport!
It was all working out, but we didn't know what to do about the Pionus pair. After all, they were my husband's babies, and after the first initial discussion, 6 months earlier, he had said nothing more about selling them.
Meanwhile however, we had made the arrangements for the kitten, and we would need the money from the Pionus to pay for her!
The kittens were born May 14. They would be ready for their new homes at the end of August. Just in time for us to get back from our summer holidays. And just in time for us to be able to tell my husband about his kitten on Father's Day, May 20.
But what about the Pionus?
The kittens were 2 weeks old when the Pionus pair flew at me, landing on my glasses and nose. I'm not afraid of birds, but it startled me, the glasses flew off my face, and their claws scratched my nose.
My husband came running in to help me get disentangled from the birds, and then he said, "Let's put out an ad for the Pionus!"
He later told me he had been praying for a sign that it was right to sell them, and when they flew at me, that was his sign.
I put out a Kijiji ad in all major Canadian cities, but my ads were removed the next day because of a new rule that you can only put out an ad in your local area. But not before we had an interested buyer. By June 14 we had firmed up the deal, the birds would ship to Vancouver on June 17,on the same flight as the linnies going to Alberta. I would only have to make one trip to the airport!
The boys and I knew that my husband would be sad about his birds going. With Father's Day just three days away, should we give him his kitten present early and ruin our surprise? Or should we continue with our original plans?
We went to the Lord, and this is what He gave us: "We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification." (Rom 15:1-2 KJV)
I realized then that waiting until Father's Day to announce our kitten surprise would be to please myself, and the morning of June 17, we told my husband about his kitten. He was very, very happy. He said we couldn't have chosen a better time to tell him.
Later that day, as we sat back and looked at the timing of everything, we were amazed. Such a little thing in the grand scheme of God's plans, but God put all the pieces together so intricately!
But then, doesn't He hold time in His hands? Doesn't He promise to make everything beautiful, in His time?
"To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven…" (Eccl 3:1 NKJV)
"He has made everything beautiful in its time." (Eccl 3:11 NKJV)
Join us next week for God Guides, Part 3 to learn how my husband went about choosing just the right kitten …
In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:32 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
A BOOK BY IT’S COVER

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." (Matt 7:1-3 NKJV)

I was driving home the other day on a sunny afternoon. I had a smile on my face as I sang along to the songs on the radio. It was a beautiful day. I felt full of happiness and oneness with God.

My good mood ended, however, when the radio station took a news break between songs. Suddenly I found myself listening to yet another story of a rich, beautiful celebrity involved in scandal, hypocrisy, and lawlessness. I shook my head in disbelief as I came to a stoplight.
As I pulled to a stop I noticed four, leather jacketed bikers. They were standing in the middle of the road with two on either side of the light. They looked rough and dangerous, but as I got closer I noticed each one was holding their helmet in their hands. I rolled down my window as one approached my car. "We are the Brother’s of the Wheel", he said. "We are collecting for a Christmas toy drive for needy children this year."

As I pulled a dollar out of my wallet I looked past his beard and tattoos and into his eyes. They shined with a goodness and kindness that came right from his soul. I dropped the money in his helmet and waved to the other bikers as I drove off. My good mood had returned. My faith in mankind had been bolstered. And I had to laugh along with God as I remembered once again never to judge a book by it’s cover.
Our society often judges books by their covers but God reads what is written in our hearts and souls. Perhaps one day we will all learn to see the world through Heaven’s eyes. Perhaps one day we will realize that looks matter little and actions matter much. Perhaps one day we will see that the wealth and success of Earth are not the wealth and success of Heaven.
Over two thousand years ago a poor, homeless outcast walked the Earth. His clothes were tattered and His companions were rough fishermen. He was scorned by the elite of the day. Yet, He showed everyone of us how to live and how to love. May we all follow the truth He shared.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
PUBLICLY SPEAKING, Part 2

Continuing with the series on our "Publicly Speaking" God, we come to yet another key area of our Christian faith, where the good Lord has acted publicly.

SALVATION…

Consider these words of imprisoned Apostle Paul, as he stood up and made a bold defense of his faith before King Agriappa (not a Roman) and important Roman officials:

"So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven. First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds. That is why some Jews seized me in the temple courts and tried to kill me. But God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen- that the Messiah would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would bring the message of light to his own people and to the Gentiles."

At this point Festus interrupted Paul's defense. "'You are out of your mind, Paul!' He shouted. 'Your great learning is driving you insane.'

'I am not insane, most excellent Festus,' Paul replied. 'What I am saying is true and reasonable. The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner.'" (Acts 26:19-26)

Christ's atoning death on the cross was not a private occurrence. Not by any standard. It was a public event witnessed by many. In and through His public crucifixion, in the spiritual realm He was publicly triumphing over Satan at the cross. Consider this Scripture portion to too:

"Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it" (Colossians 2:15) (a related essay on the subject can be browsed at the following link http://www.jandsmministries.com/message_sep1_07.asp )

Ever wondered why Baby Jesus did not die in the hands of murderous, insecure King Herod (Matt 2)? Had he died, even then pure, atoning blood would have been shed for mankind albeit in a remote corner. For that matter, the ministering Jesus could have met death pushed from mountain-top (Luke 4:28-30) or stoned in Jerusalem by his opponents (John 8:59-60). Even then, pure, atoning blood would have been shed for mankind albeit hardly warranting public attention. But the public trial before Pontius Pilat and the public execution by crucifixion consequently as per clearly laid out prophecies (PSALM 22/ISAIAH 53), would leave none in any doubt about His atoning death, on which the Salvation of mankind was dependent.

It's time even agnostics doubted their doubts about the clear Gospel message (I Cor 15:1-3), sounding loud and clear from the Scriptures and taking a leap of faith (Romans 10:8-10). No procrastination please in this crucial matter about your eternal destiny, for the Saviour's II Coming is imminent.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, we praise Thee for publicly triumphing over Satan on the Cross. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
http://www.jandsmministries.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 29 May 2011, 1:42 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD GUIDES, Part 1:
Even the Little Stuff …

It is easy to convince yourself that God doesn't care about the little things and that we shouldn't even be bothering Him with such trivia. After all, He IS God of the universe. He doesn't have time to worry about every detail of our lives!
But God does care about every aspect of our lives, no matter how big or small. If it is important to you, it is important to Him, and the story that will be outlined in the next 4 devotionals demonstrates this nicely.
It was a "little" thing. Something only of "minor" importance in the grand scheme of things, but last year we decided to downsize our aviary. This meant finding new homes for our breeding pairs of birds, including my husband's Blue-Headed Pionus. It was his idea, but the kids and I knew that when it came time to send them away, he would be sad. What could we do to take away the pain?
That's when we got the idea of buying him a kitten.
But wait. We were supposed to be downsizing our "ark", not adding to it! Was this just another one of my brainless ideas?
We went to the Lord in prayer. "Lord," I said, "Please help me to know if it's Your will to get a kitten!" Then I went to my Bible and opened it where I had left off just the day before, and found a direct reference to a cat.
My next question was, "What kind of a cat, Lord?"
You see, my husband loves Siamese cats. I, on the other hand, would prefer more of a family cat, one that loves people and would get along with the dog and the birds.
It wasn't long afterwards that I received a devotional submission entitled "Ragdoll". Imagine my surprise when I learned that the Ragdoll is a cat with markings similar to a Siamese. But here the similarity ends. A ragdoll is a people pleaser, a family cat. One that gets along with dogs and loves everyone!
But was this "the will of Lyn"? Or "The will of God"?
"Do you want us to get a Ragdoll, Lord? Or a Siamese? Or just and alley cat?"
I opened my Bible then to the next Ps on my list to read: Ps. 36. The first words? "An oracle is within my heart …"
Hum. What was on MY heart was something OTHER than a Siamese …
The next message from the Lord? "One of illegitimate birth shall NOT enter the assembly of the Lord …" (Deut 23:2 NKJV)
Well, an alley cat is DEFINITELY of illegitimate birth!
At this point I also asked my boys to pray. The message they both received was, "it's time for a change!"
Okay, then the Ragdoll was for us. But where should we get it from?
Quick Internet research revealed the nearest breeders were in Buffalo, in Niagara, in Brampton, in Toronto, and in Windsor. A few emails eliminated two of the above, and it was down to Buffalo, Niagara, or Brampton. All would have kittens available at about the time we would be ready to buy. But which one would have the perfect kitten for us?
Price is always a factor, and this pointed to the Buffalo breeder.
Again, I prayed about it. Here is what God gave me, straight from His Word:
"Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness …" (Ps. 37:3)
Well, that was pretty clear! I was to stay in Canada to purchase the kitten. But where in Canada?
My next text came from Matt 15:29-30: "Jesus departed from there, skirted the Sea of Galilee, and went up on the mountain and sat down there."
I picked up a map. Buffalo is on the Niagara River. If I "departed from there", into Canada, and "skirted the Sea" - followed the Niagara River and the banks of Lake Ontario, and if I "went up on the mountain" - climbed the Niagara Escarpment, commonly known in the region as "The Mountain" - That put me on the doorsteps of the cattery in Niagara!
Amazing!
But I still wasn't convinced, because the Brampton breeder was cheaper. "Confirm this, Lord," I prayed. And He did. In the very next text:
"When you gather the grapes of your vineyard, you shall not glean it afterward; it shall be for the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow." (Deut 24:21-22 NKJV)
Imagine my surprise when I went on the website of the Niagara-based cattery and found … the cattery is situated on a grape farm!
Yes, it was all "little stuff", but God cares about little stuff and He desires to guide you every step of the way. Remember, when you take the time to ask Him each time you have a decision to make, you will NEVER go wrong!
But that's not the end of the kitten story … Join us next week for "God Guides, Part 2: The Timing of it All.
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 27 May 2011, 2:12 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:

THE CANDY SHELVES

"You are precious and honored in my sight, and... I love you." (Isaiah 43:4)
She was waiting for her mom there in the drugstore, standing near the cash register with her eyes glued to the candy shelves. She was maybe 5 or 6. For that little girl, paradise was just a few feet and a few dimes away.
Different times, different things. When we are little we want our bottle. Grade school we want to only be with our friends. Teenagers want romance, and ... a car! Then we want a job, a home, a family. And a fulfilling life. Happiness. Security in a changing world. Retirement investments. Good health.
Throughout all our ages and stages we want a LOT of different things. But God always wants the same thing. Us.
In the Bible, God tells us that He created us for fellowship with Him. He relentlessly pursues. We are restless in our spirits until we are in that personal relationship with Him.
He won’t give up, and He won’t give in. He will continue to lovingly gaze upon you as if you, yourself, are those candy shelves.
That is good news.
Inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy Sally I. Kennedy, ©2011
http://www.sallyikennedy.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 25 May 2011, 12:24 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 34 MapEarlyIsraelHistorical
Welcome to the Nugget
Today's Devotional:
PUBLICLY SPEAKING, Part 1

I have said before and I never tire of reiterating it; we are essentially created to worship the Creator. When it comes to worshipping Him, more than expressing our adoration for the blessings, He showers upon us, our heart-felt worship should be a pristine product of a heart awed by the unique attributes of the multi-faceted, matchless ONE!

In this 3-part series, I would want my readership to ponder on one of the singular traits of the AWESOME GOD of PUBLICLY making a statement as to his existence, the veracity of the Bible, salvation through the Cross and the imminent Second coming of His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.

NATION…

About 300 years ago, the King of Sweden was having personal doubts about God's existence and the Bible's divine nature. He called for Count Von Zinzendorf, who was the bishop of the Moravian Church, to provide evidence about God's existence and Divine authorship of the Bible. When the Count arrived, the King told him he had set aside 10 hours to be enlightened on these matters. Zinzendorf said that much time would not be necessary because all he needed to do was to say two words. The King, skeptical, asked, "What words might those be?" Count Von Zinzendorf replied, "The Jews."

How true! One look at the history of the nation of Israel would convince even a hard core atheist/agnostic about the existence of the Almighty and authenticity of the Bible. Is not the entire history of this Chosen Nation an outworking of the Deuteronomic covenant enshrined in the 28th Chapter of the fifth book of the Bible? Have not all the blessings so graphically described "chased" the people of Israel whenever they have sincerely obeyed their Master? By the same token have not the curses, too sent by the chastening God, "chased" them whenever they have gone astray?

Not only the Book of Judges where the cyclical "boom" and "doom" periods of Israel's faith is sincerely portrayed, but in fact the entire Old Testament history stands witness to the solemn fact that the Jews' success or failure in any sphere has been directly proportional to their obedience, or lack of it, to their Good Shepherd.

Unlike, say, the life of a lowly layman, living in one corner of the world, dear friends, the history of one nation is not a not a private occurrence, far removed from the public spotlight!!! It is in public domain and can be checked and cross-checked umpteen times, and the unanimous verdict of the umpire (conscience) in all of us would be "The God of Abraham exists and His words enshrined in Scripture are true!" I repeat, if I as one average nine to five guy living in an inconspicuous place in this world, shout from rooftops, or better yet, even from mountaintops, that the hand of God can be seen prominently in my life by way of blessings or curses whenever I have obeyed or disobeyed Him, people may or may not believe. But if a definite trend of good times/bad times is seen emerging in the public history of one nation itself, all on one account of an unseen divine interference, can anyone still turn a blind eye to it, without inferring the truth thereof?

Think of it… a normal story teller would gloss over a hero's sins of commission or omission, all with the aim of making the main character appear larger than life in the public eye, but the Divinely-inspired writers' of Scriptures, themselves Jews, have never shied away from laying bare the serious shortcomings of all Jewish heroes' of faith. Nor have they ever shied away from the serious shortcomings of their Nation as a whole. If this is not Truthfulness with a capital "T", then what is it?

Prayer: Father, we praise Thee for publicly proving Thy existence and veracity of the Scriptures through the History of the Nation of Israel. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan

Announcements:

Welcome to all new Nugget subscribers!
We hope and pray that you will find this newsletter a blessing to you and to your families. God bless each of you as you strive to draw closer to Him!
<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><
In His love,
Lyn Chaffart submissions@scripturalnuggets.org
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 22 May 2011, 11:43 am

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
THE GPS

Many people in the Western world now use GPSs for navigational purposes. It is really a fantastic tool. You set the address or coordinates into the tiny computer, and it tells you what road to take, how many miles or kilometres it is, and even how long it will take you to get there. It can tell you where there is gas and food, it can even tell you where the nearest hospital can be found!
Truly a wonderful device.
But anyone who has a GPS knows that it can also be a frustrating tool. Once you program a route, there is no stopping. Even if you just pull off the road at a rest area or gas station, you immediately hear the annoying voice of the GPS telling you that you are no longer on the intended route. If you continue in your "wayward" way, the GPS will ask you repeatedly to make a U-turn, and if you persist in ignoring it, it will continuously tell you to turn right or left, trying to get you back to the original route.
The GPS we own is totally annoying. It will NOT STOP telling us to get back to the intended route unless we either turn it off or cancel our trip. On our recent trip to Quebec City, my husband and I finally started turning down the volume down so that we could no longer hear the machine's efforts to get us back where it thought we should be.
As we pressed the "mute" button on the GPS for the third time in as many hours, it occurred to me that the GPS is very much like the Holy Spirit.
You see, God has given us a guide: His very own Spirit: "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." (John 14:26-27 NKJV).
God's Spirit will guide us. He will keep us on the right path. But we can choose to "press the mute" button! We can ignore God's Spirit and continue to do our own thing.
The problem is, the consequences could be more harmful than me turning down the volume on my GPS! The worst that can happen with my GPS is that I get lost! But if I ignore God's Spirit, if I continue to go my own way, despite the warnings and heedings of the Holy Spirit, I will also get lost-spiritually lost! I will quickly fall into sin, I will miss opportunities to witness, I will miss opportunities to help others, and I will make wrong decisions, ones that can have lasting consequences, to name a few.
But there is yet another, even worse consequence of tuning out God's Spirit: "Listen to this carefully. I'm warning you. There's nothing done or said that can't be forgiven. But if you persist in your slanders against God's Holy Spirit, you are repudiating the very One who forgives, sawing off the branch on which you're sitting, severing by your own perversity all connection with the One who forgives." (Mark 3:28-30 THE MESSAGE)
When we ignore God's Spirit, we "slander" Him. We "blaspheme" Him. And the Bible tells us this is the ONLY sin that can NOT be forgiven …
If your GPS annoys you, go ahead, turn down the volume. But if God's Spirit is letting you know that you are taking a step in the wrong direction, give Him your FULL attention!
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 20 May 2011, 8:38 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
STRING US TOGETHER
"I pray …. That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you." (John 17:20,21)
A couple buttons snapped off in the laundry. As I was sewing them back on I began to think about how the Holy Spirit uses a sewing stitch to ‘string’ together the believers, the body of Christ.
In my mind’s eye, the picture of a lovely, plush Christmas tree came into view. It was decorated from top to bottom with garlands of cranberries and popcorn. I could almost smell the pungent pine aroma wafting in the air. Then I noticed the cranberries were fresh, strung together with heavy thread; the popcorn held together by some rough, tan twine.
Recently I attended a women's conference. There were women of all ages there, from teens to, I’d guess, eighties. People were from all walks of life, lifestyles, churches and denominations.
As we stood together, all around the huge arena, singing and praising God, we were most definitely being ‘strung together’ by the love of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit.
I thought of the old song ‘Bind Us Together’ with new words, string us together, Lord……string us together with Love.
Lord, Thank you that in Your mercy and grace it is Your plan to string together Your children, Your body, Your church. Thank you, Lord! In Jesus’ name, amen.
"...there shall be one flock and one shepherd." (John 10:16) Jesus
inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy
Sally I. Kennedy, ©2010
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 18 May 2011, 10:36 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
DRIED UP
"The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, If it is found in the way of righteousness." (Prov 16:31 NKJV)

The last time I went to Texas I saw a field full of wild Black Eyed Susan flowers. A few of them were still in bloom- so pleasing to behold as they swayed in the warm Texas breeze. Most of them, however, were withered, brown and dried up .They weren’t as attractive to look at without the pretty petals, but they still served a purpose. Their time of beauty to the eye was over, but in nature’s miraculous plan, there remained a design and a use for them. They were still needed, for the seeds in the center of each flower would feed many a bird and these seeds would also drop to the ground to propagate new growth.
I have visited many elderly people in retirement and nursing homes, and know a few elderly people from our church. Some of these folks feel so useless- they thinks they are burdens to their family and society ,and that they have no worth at all.
This makes my heart sad, because I believe God still has a purpose for their lives, even if their bodies are failing. If their minds are alert, they can be prayer warriors. They can encourage others in the facility where they live- or- even to visitors. The can be good listeners for others who need to share burdens or joys and they can share their faith with others.
At one time I regularly visited an elderly lady living in a nursing home. My motive was to bring a little happiness into her life and give her a visitor to look forward to seeing on a regular basis. Once again!- God gave me the blessing! For I learned so much from this lovely lady: how to age gracefully, how to share your faith, and how to be thankful for each day God gives you.
The life expectancy of people today is much longer than even 10 years ago. We should pray for our elderly relatives, acquaintances and church members that they would never feel “dried up” and useless.
Marion Smith
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 15 May 2011, 12:24 pm

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:

WHAT TO DO WHEN IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING IS AGAINST YOU …

Do you ever feel like God has abandoned you? Like everything is going good for everyone but you? Like no matter how much or how ardently you seek God, He doesn't hear you, or worse, He doesn't care?
Maybe you've had a great sin in your life, and though you've been taught God forgives all sin, it seems like maybe just this one He overlooked?
Or perhaps you've been taught that God blesses those who love Him, but despite the fact that you've tried to serve Him faithfully, you see unbelievers experiencing blessing upon blessing, while you seem to have gone by completely unnoticed!
David felt this way, and a record of it is found in Ps. 73:3-28. When this Psalm was written, he was at a point in his life when he couldn't hear God's voice. In fact, he felt as if only the wicked were the recipients of God's love and grace:
"For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from the burdens common to man; they are not plagued by human ills. … They scoff, and speak with malice; in their arrogance they threaten oppression. Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth … This is what the wicked are like - always carefree, they increase in wealth."
And though these wicked folk even seem to blaspheme the Most High God, someone who has strived to keep his heart pure before the Lord, someone like David, receives only punishment from the Lord:
"Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain have I washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been plagued; I have been punished every morning …"
I know that many of you out there can relate to what David is experiencing here. All we have to do is look around us when we are in the midst of trouble and it seems like God is blessing everyone BUT us! He is taking care of the unbelievers OVER the believers!
And what do we tend to do when we are in such a situation?
Most of us react by closing ourselves in and focusing our thoughts on our problems and how unfair God is. But this isn't what David did: "… till I entered the sanctuary of God …"
David didn't just sit there accusing God of being unfair, he sought God!
And what happened?
First of all, in the presence of the Almighty God, things came into perspective: "Then I understood their (the wicked) final destiny. Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin …"
And once brought face to face with Truth, David was humbled: "When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you."
Then he was again able to see reality. Notice the Truth that he saw:
1. God never left him: "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory."
2. God is his everything: "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
3. No matter what, he can always rejoice in God's presence: "But as for me, it is good to be near God."
4. He will tell of God's goodness, no matter what: "I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."
Friends, when it seems that the Lord has abandoned us, let's remember David and let's follow his example. Let's seek God! Let's rejoice in His presence! And when we do, we will learn 4 important lessons:
a. God will punish those who have created the situations we are in.
B. When we are grieved and our spirits embittered, we become senseless and ignorant, a brute beast before God.
C. We are nothing without God. Even in the midst of horrible circumstances, it is good to be near God, to make the Sovereign Lord our refuge, to seriously be able to say, "God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!"
D. No matter the circumstances, God has never left us!
Then all that's left to do is to tell of God's goodness!
If we follow David's example, then our perspectives will change. Our hearts will lighten, and we will again be filled with the joy of the Lord.
Don't believe David?
Why not try it for yourselves?
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 14 May 2011, 9:47 am

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD OF BALANCE AND IMBALANCE, Part 3
In the final part of our series on God's "balance" and "imbalance", let's firstly look at yet another incident in the Master's life, which brings to the fore, His perfect balance:
Commending but…
Scene one… Jesus is whole-heartedly appreciating the impulsive Simon Peter. Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." (Matt 16:17-19)
Scene two…shortly afterwards…to the same Simon Peter are addressed these sharp reprimanding words… "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns." (Matt 16:23)
Hey, what really happened?

Let's hit the rewind button…Firstly, Jesus was all praise for Simon Peter when we came-up with an unequivocal, truthful declaration: "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." In response to the Messiah's poser to the disciples' "Who do you say I am?" But this same Simon Peter when Jesus revealed the impending Divine redemption plan for mankind involving the Master's crucifixion and resurrection, started playing the Devil's advocate in dissuading the Master from going to the cross…and hence, the sharp rebuke.
Jesus' way of handling us with "perfect balance" has not changed one bit (Heb 13:8), has it? Say Christian, doesn't He fill your heart with heavenly joy, when you obey Him, and whenever you stray… well… invariably there is a "rap on the knuckles" (emotional or physical pain by way of discipline comes our way).

Now more on God's disciplining ways and blessings…
GOD OF IMBALANCE???
The phrase "God of Imbalance"- is it not revolting, seemingly at direct odds with the tone and tenor of this series, so far?
BUT GIVE HIM A LOUD HALLELUJAH, FOR HE BECOMES IMBALANCED, ONLY AND ONLY WHEN OUR PERSONAL BENEFIT IS AT STAKE.
Consider this verse… "He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor punished us according to our iniquities." (Psalm 103:10 NKJV) At a time, when our sins require a severe punishment, He chastises us just enough to bring us back to the track, as any loving Father would (Heb 12:5-11).
Then what about the "blessings being not in proportion to known sources of efforts for Him" (thanks IT Department*)? Consider this Scripture portion culled from the familiar parable of talents… "And so it was that when he returned, having received the kingdom, he then commanded these servants, to whom he had given the money, to be called to him, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. Then came the first, saying, 'Master, your mina has earned ten minas.' And he said to him, 'Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.' (Luke 19:15-17).

Now is there any co-relation (however remote) between minas and cities? For earning merely "10 minas", we are who are faithful are being guaranteed a reward of oh boy, oh boy TEN CITIES! Even on this side of eternity, the Lord provides wondrously for us and in the other side of eternity, boy, the blessings and rewards He has in store for us are simply mind-boggling.
No wonder the Prophet Isaiah declares and Apostle Paul reaffirms bringing to light the true meaning of the OT Prophet's declaration: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man. The things which God has prepared for those who love Him" (Isaiah 64:4/I Cor 2:9)!
Dear Child of God, even as you take inventory of your life so far, is not your experience similar to mine? Is it not both comforting and reassuring to know that we been punished far less for our sins of commission or omission and that our meager efforts (relatively speaking) for His Kingdom have fetched us rewards far beyond our expectations? The Good News to top it all is THE BEST IS YET TO COME…YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET…

Isn't it time we shout out two loud Hallelujahs to our both balanced as well as "imbalanced" Heavenly Father?
I would say YES!
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 11 May 2011, 11:17 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
SCARED
In December, 2003the youth at my church presented the musical "The
Surprising Christmas Pageant ( The Story of the Birth of Christ Told with
Humor, Mystery and Awe)" by Dennis Hartin. In this musical an angel went to
Mary and told her the message from God about her giving birth to Jesus
Christ. Then the angel went to Joseph and told him about Mary who is going
to give birth to the Messiah. When the angel appeared, both Mary and Joseph
said, "It's an alien!" The angel then had to tell them it was not an alien
but and angel with a message from god. When the angel was finished both Mary
and Joseph said, "I would be less scared if you were an alien." Samuel might
have thought the same thing in the following Scripture:
"And the Lord came and called as before, 'Samuel! Samuel!' And Samuel
replied, 'Yes, your servant is listening.' Then the Lord said to Samuel,
'I am about to do a shocking thing in Israel. I am going to carry out all
my threats against Eli and his family. I have warned him continually that
judgment is coming for his family, because his sons are blaspheming God and
he hasn't disciplined them. So I have vowed that the sins of Eli and his
sons will never be forgiven by sacrifices or offerings.' Samuel stayed in
bed until morning, then got up and opened the doors of the Tabernacle as
usual. He was afraid to tell Eli what the Lord had said to him." (1 Samuel 3:10-15 NLT) [1]
This was the first time Samuel had ever heard God speaking to him. It took
God three times to get Samuel's attention. When Eli finally figured out that
God was trying to talk to Samuel, Samuel was scared. This was a heavy load
to put on anyone.
Why don't people listen for and to God today? You might do your duty and
read your chapter of Scripture almost every day but you don't take time to
meditate on it and let God speak to you through it. You might spend a little
time in prayer but it is just giving God your wish list of things you want
him to do for you. You don't take time after your talking to allow God to
talk to you. Could it be because you are scared of what God might say to
you? You might hear God tell you to do something like God told Samuel to do
or like what God said to Moses at the burning bush. God had things for these
two people to do for Him.
When He talks to you, He may have something for you to do. No matter what God
has to say, He can't say it unless you listen. Take time to listen to God.
He may just want to say, "I LOVE YOU!"
By Dean W. Masters
Unedited redistribution approved
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 08 May 2011, 10:14 am

Welcome to the
Nugget

Today's Devotional:
YOU'RE OUR GUIDE ... WE FOLLOW YOU! BUT WAIT ...

"And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice." (John 10:4-5 NKJV)
My husband and I recently had the privilege of visiting with a friend in Quebec City, Canada, and as a result, we had our own, personal guide.
If you are not familiar with Quebec City, it is the only fortified city left in North America - A modern city behind 17th century walls. Quebec City is also one of the most (if not THE most) European-style city in North America. Rich in history, there is much to see, and having our own personal guide throughout the winding streets was more than a blessing.
Our friend was particularly sensitive to our wishes and desires. However as we knew virtually nothing about the city, I found myself saying over and over again, "You are our guide! We will follow you!"
Just after lunch, I found myself again saying these words. And they were barely out of my mouth when I spotted a statue across the street, a memorial to General Montcalm, the general who is credited with leading the army in the battle that ended the Seven Years' War between France and Great Brittan on the Plains of Abraham. As a result of the victory, all of "New France" - including the city we stood in - was transferred into British hands. Naturally, this resulted in Quebec later becoming part of Canada, and because I am interested in history, I had to see the memorial. "Look," I said, running across the street towards the statue. "There's the monument for Montcalm!"
As I stepped on the curb on the other side, I remembered the words that had just come from my lips seconds before the monument came into view: "You are our guide! We will follow you!"
I guess I wasn't doing too good of a job at following my guide!
How often don't we do the same thing with God?
Every morning I pray, "Be my guide today, Lord!" But moments later I am busy making my own plans without asking Him what He thinks. Oh, I am very sincere in this prayer. I want God to lead. But I get sidetracked, and then I go ahead and do my own thing anyway. Sometimes these decisions get me into trouble, and more often than not, I am tempted to blame God for not protecting from the trouble I got myself into.
But all the while, God is saying, "I tried to guide you, but you wouldn't listen!"
The bottom line is, you can have the best guide in the world, but if you decide to not follow, it will lead to trouble.
Is the trouble the guide's fault?
No. It is our own fault for not following the guide. We need to stop SAYING we want to follow God, and start FOLLOWING Him instead! We need to pray and ask God to guide us, but we also need to pray that God will show us where we have taken the lead. We need to humble ourselves before Him and ask His advice before making decisions, and then we need to follow where He tells us to go. If we don't, then we become like I was in Quebec City: "You're our guide, we follow you! But wait …"
In His love,
Lyn
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 06 May 2011, 2:28 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:

GOD OF BALANCE AND "IMBALANCE", Part 2: Condenscending and Commanding But ...

In our series on "Balance" and "Imbalance" (an item straight out of Ripley's Book of Believe it or not?) Of God, one remarkable feature, which characterized our Savior's ministry on Earth, was that of balance.
He hated sin but loved sinners. He was all for paying taxes to Caesar, without in anyway ignoring our financial obligations to the Giver of all gifts. He lauded his disciples when they earned it, and duly reprimanded them when they were going off track.
Today, let's look at the two of the three incidents in our Master's life when He walked the fine line…
Condescending but…
Remember the account of Jewish religious leaders bringing a woman caught in adultery before him (John 8:1-11) for judgment, and most importantly His resulting judgment on the Mosaic Law (Leviticus 20:10), which demanded her stoning.
Of course Jesus' envious enemies (surprisingly not robbers or murderers, but fellow servants in God's vineyard…the Teachers of the Law, Pharisees et al), outraged by His growing popularity amongst the masses, desperately wanted to tarnish his image publicly by labelling Him a "breaker of the Law". How our good Lord handled that dicey situation is the very definition of being balanced in a crisis, and later His demeanour with the guilty one reflected his attitude towards sin and a sinner.
With His critics waiting with bated breath for the slightest slip, which would send His public popularity ratings on a nose-dive, our Lord handled the tricky situation with His typical equilibrium. Without in any way, diminishing the significance of the Mosaic Law, He appealed to the universal, higher Law of conscience in every individual ready to stone the hapless adulteress.
"He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." (John 8:7)
While on the subject, doesn't this question ring a bell in the minds of every overtly critical Christian nursing a holier than attitude towards others?
Then the Gospel writer John, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, takes the scene to a stirring climax…
"At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there" (John 8:9).
What does this verse actually mean?
Very simple.
If anybody had the right to cast a stone on this sinful woman, it was the spotless, Holy Son of God. What did He do?
Let the Scripture (John 8:10-11) take over: "Jesus straightened up and asked her, 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' 'No one, sir,' she said. 'Then neither do I condemn you,' Jesus declared. 'Go now and leave your life of sin.'" (John 8:11)
Did Jesus declare, "Go now and continue your life of sin?" NO!!! Rather leave your life of sin. Jesus hated sin but loved sinners. Need any further proof? Amazing balance isn't it?
Commanding but…
Now Jesus' enemies wouldn't give-up so easily in their efforts to publicly disgrace him. Later on in Jerusalem, they thought He would be lax in His verdict on paying tax to Caesar (Jews' avowed enemy and their despised ruler at that time). They thought they had Him when they publicly fired this tricky question at Him: "Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not?" (Matt 22:15), only to be outwitted by a "smart one" from the good Lord "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's" (Matt 22:21 KJV).
Christians are commanded to pay their taxes to the Government, without putting on the backburner the need to pay the tithes to their Local Church and support those who preach the Gospel to them. One without the other would displease the KING OF ALL KINGS, who has put every Government in its place (Malachi 3:6-12/Romans 13:1-7/I Cor 9:14), and commissioned His every servant to serve Him, without taking-up any secular livelihood.

Please join us next Thursday for OF BALANCE AND IMBALANCE, Part 3.
Prayer: Father enable us to love sinners, even whilst hating sin, pay our taxes whilst uncompromisingly supporting Your Ministry with our finances. In Jesus Name. Amen
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next