World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Israel Reserve Soldiers killed
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 10:18 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 10:11 pm by Admin

» Open letter Jewish COLLEGE STUDENTS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 9:42 pm by Admin

» Historic Milestone Saudi Arabia-Israel stability
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 9:08 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 5:36 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 5:19 pm by Admin

» PRO TRUTH of Israel what Pro PA want
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 4:59 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyToday at 4:19 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 11:56 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 11:44 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 11:19 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 11:05 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Admin

» iNSPIRATIONAL DEVOTION Israel
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 10:38 pm by Admin

» THE FREE PRESS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 5:52 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 4:40 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 4:37 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 4:24 pm by Admin

» Jewish History~ WHO DOES IT BELONG TO
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 EmptyYesterday at 4:22 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Page 31 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Go down

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 Empty Re: Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Post  Admin Fri 03 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

By Billy Graham, Tribune Media Services
Why Should God Forgive the Bad Things I've Done?
Q: When I was younger, I did a lot of bad things, and I've never gotten over feeling guilty about them. I'd feel better if I knew God would forgive me, but I can't see any reason why He should. Can you? -- Mrs. E.M.

A: One of the Bible's greatest truths is that God is willing to forgive anyone who humbly comes to Him in repentance and faith, trusting in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for their sins. Jesus said, "This is my blood... poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (Matthew 26:28).

But I know this also is one of the Bible's hardest truths for us to accept. After all, why should God forgive us? When we sin, we're deliberately turning our backs on God and telling Him we don't want anything to do with Him. So why should He forgive us? Why shouldn't He give us instead what we really deserve -- which is His judgment?

The reason is simply because God loves us -- in spite of what we've done. And the proof is that He came down to earth in the person of His Son, Jesus Christ, who gave His life for us and made our forgiveness possible. We deserve to die for our sins -- but He died in our place. In other words, all the sins you ever committed -- including those that still haunt you with guilt -- were placed on Him, and He took your judgment for you.

Don't carry your burden of guilt any longer. Instead, put that burden -- and your whole life -- into Christ's hands. The Bible's promise is for you: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

========

Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.

(c)2012 BILLY GRAHAM DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 31 Empty Re: Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Post  Admin Thu 02 Feb 2012, 6:44 pm

Is There Another Life After We Die?
Q: I'd like to think that when I die it won't be the end of me, but there will be another life of some kind out there for me. Is this just wishful thinking? -- D. McD.

A: No, it's not necessarily wishful thinking, because we were not meant for this world alone. When God created us He put part of Himself within us -- our soul or spirit -- and just as God cannot stop existing, neither can we, even if our bodies die.

This is why down inside we all sense that death is not the end, but that there must be something beyond the grave. We can suppress that feeling or even deny it -- but it's still there, even when we don't have any apparent reason for believing it. Why do we have this hope within us? The Bible says it is because God has put it there. The Bible says that God "has also set eternity in the hearts of men" (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

Believing in life after death isn't just guesswork, nor is it simply wishful thinking. We know there is life after death for one reason: Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died and was placed in the tomb -- but on the third day came back to life. By His resurrection Jesus showed us beyond all doubt that there is life beyond the grave, and that by believing in Him we can be with Him in heaven forever.

Don't gamble with your soul, and don't risk ending up in that place of absolute despair the Bible calls hell. Instead, commit your life to Jesus Christ and trust Him alone for your salvation. His promise is true: "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies" (John 11:25).

========

Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:18 pm

Should I Believe My Science Teacher?
Q: My high school science teacher says we humans are just animals, and God didn't have anything to do with putting us here. This is really confusing me, because I've always tried to believe what the Bible says. -- K.B.

A: I hope you will keep on believing what the Bible says, because it will make all the difference to you in the years ahead.

Let me explain. If God didn't put us here, then we are here by accident, and therefore our lives don't have any real purpose or meaning. Nor are we accountable to God for the way we live; if He didn't put us here, we can live any way we want to, no matter how selfish or hurtful we are. Like the writer of Ecclesiastes before he met God, we'll end up saying, "I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind" (Ecclesiastes 1:14).

But the Bible says God created us and put us here -- and that makes all the difference. It means we have a reason for being here: to know God and do His will. It also means we can know how we should live, because God has told us what is right and what is wrong. Most of all, it means we can know Him in a personal way, because He came down to earth in the person of His Son, Jesus Christ, to bring us back to Himself.

Respect those like your teacher who look at life differently -- but don't be misled by them or assume their views are right. Instead, commit your life to Jesus Christ and build your life on Him. He alone could say, "I am the way and the truth and the life" (John 14:6).

========

I've Given My Life to Jesus; Now What?
Q: I decided to give my life to Jesus a few months ago, but what do I do now? I guess I'm supposed to give up my bad habits, but what else is there to it? -- J.K.

A: When we give our lives to Jesus, the Bible tells us two very important things happen to us. First, we become His sons and daughters -- members of His family forever. Second, God Himself comes into our lives and takes up residence within our hearts by His Spirit. Think of it: You now belong to God, and He now lives within you! All this has happened because Jesus Christ came to take away your sins.

In other words, you now have a personal relationship with the living God. But like any other relationship, it needs to be nurtured and to grow. How does this happen? It happens as we spend time with God, and learn to walk with Him every day. The Bible says, "Blessed are those... who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord" (Psalm 89:15).

How do we spend time with God? First, we spend time with Him through His Word, the Bible. God speaks to us in it, telling us about His love and showing us how He wants us to live. Then we also speak to God as we pray, thanking Him for all He does for us and telling Him our concerns. In addition, we grow closer to Him as we learn from other Christians. Ask God to guide you to a church where you can learn more about Him and have fellowship with other believers.

Thank God for His love for you -- and then ask Him to help you respond to His love by turning from your sins and becoming more like Jesus every day. God bless you.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:45 pm

Why Are There Four Accounts of Jesus?
Q: I've decided to read a chapter of the New Testament every day this year. But I don't understand why there are four separate accounts of Jesus' life instead of just one. They all seem to say the same thing. Can you help?-- Mrs. L.C.

A: First, let me commend you for doing this, and I hope you'll make it your priority every day. The Bible is God's Word, and God wants to use it to change our lives and draw us closer to Himself. Job said, "I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread" (Job 23:12).

The Bible contains four accounts of Jesus' life because one would not have been enough to give us a complete picture of Jesus. Each of the four Gospels is like a separate portrait of Jesus -- showing us the same person, and yet giving us different insights into His life and work. While the Gospels may seem very similar, in reality each writer selected incidents from Jesus' life that emphasize certain truths about His person and work.

Matthew, for example, pictures Jesus as the promised Messiah, the King who fulfills all our hopes and needs. (This is why Matthew quotes the Old Testament's prophecies about the coming Messiah so frequently.) Mark presents Jesus as the Servant of God who has come to do God's will. Luke portrays Jesus as the Son of Man who identifies with us in our sufferings and sorrows. John stresses that Jesus was God in human flesh -- the divine Son of God, sent from heaven to save us from our sins.

If you read a chapter every day, you'll complete the whole New Testament in only 260 days. I suggest you turn then to the Old Testament (perhaps Psalms or Proverbs), and begin discovering its riches also.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

Why Can't I Keep My New Year's Resolutions?
Q: I suppose you get letters like this every year, but I made a long list of New Year's resolutions this year and in less than a week I've broken them all. There wasn't anything wrong with them, and they would have made me a better person, but why can't I keep them? -- G. McF.

A: Sometimes the reason people can't keep their New Year's resolutions is because they weren't really resolutions at all -- they were only wishes. If we don't take practical steps to make our resolutions come true, they never will.

But there is a deeper problem we all face, and that is our inability to do what we know we ought to do. Just as someone with a broken leg can't compete in a race, so someone with a broken soul can't live the way they should. And unfortunately, we all have broken souls or spirits -- an inner weakness that keeps us from living the way we should. The apostle Paul put it this way: "I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out" (Romans 7:18).

What is the problem? The problem is that sin, like a crippling disease, has invaded our lives and weakened our souls. That's why we need God, for only He can change us from within and give us the strength to live the way we should. And He will, as we open our hearts and lives to Jesus Christ and submit our wills to His will.

Don't try to live without God. You need Him -- and He wants to help you, because He loves you. Don't let your pride, or anything else, keep you from Christ. He alone gives us hope -- hope of a better life right now, and hope for a perfect life with Him in heaven forever.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:41 pm

Can Christians Be Friends With Non-Christians?
Q: I've tried to befriend a young man I work with who seems lonely, and have even invited him to our home for dinner several times. But he's always refused, and finally he told me that he is a Christian and isn't supposed to be friends with anyone who isn't a Christian. Is this what the Bible teaches? -- O.L.

A: No, it isn't what the Bible teaches. Christians are called to love others and have compassion on them when they are hurting -- but how can we do this, if we cut ourselves off from them?

After all, Jesus didn't cut Himself off from us -- in spite of our sin and rebellion. The Bible says He left heaven's glory and walked among us, reaching out to those who needed to know God loved them. Even when someone rejected Him (as the rich young ruler did -- see Mark 10:17-22), the Bible says He still loved them and wanted them to be part of His kingdom. One of the charges His enemies made against Him was that He was "a friend of tax collectors (who were despised and assumed to be corrupt) and 'sinners'" (Luke 7:34).

At the same time, the Bible does warn us against becoming corrupted by the unbelieving world and living by its false values. The Bible warns, "Don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God" (James 4:4).

Perhaps you have never thought much about God and how He wants you to live. But God still loves you; He loves you so much that He sent His Son into the world to give His life for you. May this truth come alive for you -- and it will, as you ask Christ to come into your life.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:10 pm

What Do We Know About Jesus' Childhood?
Q: What do we know about Jesus' childhood? I started thinking about this during Christmas, because we give a lot of attention to Jesus' birth, but we never talk about what happened afterward. -- Mrs. A.J.

A: The Gospels don't tell us very much about Jesus' childhood; they focus instead on Jesus' public ministry, which only lasted about three years. Hundreds of years after Jesus lived, some people made up stories about His childhood, but that's all they were -- stories with no basis in fact.

Two events are recorded concerning Jesus' youth, however. One is a general comment telling us that after Mary and Joseph returned from Egypt (where they had fled to avoid King Herod's attempts to murder the young child), they settled in Nazareth, where Jesus worked alongside Joseph as a carpenter (see Mark 6:3). It reminds us that Jesus knows what it is to work, and He has shared in the kind of life we experience.

The other is an incident when Jesus was12. (You can read about it in Luke 2:41-52). Every year, Mary and Joseph went to Jerusalem for the Passover Feast -- a special time of worship and thanksgiving . As they were on their way back to Nazareth, they suddenly discovered Jesus was missing -- and they eventually found Him in the Temple discussing God's Word with the teachers there. When His parents rebuked Him, He said, "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" (Luke 2:49).

Jesus' reply to them shows us that even as a boy, He knew that God had sent Him into the world to save us from our sins. And that is what He did, by going to the cross and shedding His blood for us. Have you responded to His love by committing your life to Him?

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 25 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

Why Did God Take My Nephew?
Q: A few months ago, my nephew died in a car wreck, and it's really been hard for us to understand. He had a promising life ahead of him, and it just doesn't make any sense. Why do good people have to die? Some friends at the funeral told me God must have needed him in heaven, but that just upset me. -- Mrs. R.S.

A: No doubt your friends were well-intentioned and were trying to comfort you -- but comments like this usually don't help, and often it's better just to let people know we care about them and share their grief. (In any case, a comment like this isn't supported by the Bible.)

I wish I had a full answer to your question -- but I don't. I have asked it hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of times during my lifetime, often after learning of the kind of sudden tragedy that took your nephew's life. Someday in heaven we will understand -- but not now. What we do know is that we live in an evil, sin-sick world -- and one of life's realities is that tragedy is never far from us.

But we also know an even greater truth: Jesus Christ came into the world to give us hope. Because of His death and resurrection we know that this life is not all there is, and ahead of us is the hope of heaven when we know Him. Sin separates us from God -- but by His death and resurrection Jesus Christ took away our sins and has opened heaven's door for us.

May God draw you closer to Himself during these days -- even if you can't understand why this tragedy happened, Jesus' words are for you: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me" (John 14:1).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 24 Jan 2012, 4:17 pm

Will Jesus Return in 2012?
Q: Do you think Jesus will come again this year? I've heard people say that the world is going to come to an end in 2012, and I've wondered if maybe they have some inside knowledge about Jesus' return. -- Mrs. E.H.

A: The Bible doesn't tell us exactly when Jesus will come again -- but it does promise that someday He definitely will return. As Jesus returned to heaven at the end of His ministry, the angels promised His disciples that "This same Jesus... will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven" (Acts 1:11).

Most of the "predictions" claiming the world will come to an end in 2012 aren't based on the Bible, but on a calendar from an ancient civilization that actually ended hundreds of years ago. Most experts deny that the calendar even says this -- but if it did, why should we believe it instead of the Bible? Jesus warned, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven" (Mark 13:32).

Why is Jesus' return important? For one thing, it gives us hope -- hope that someday all the evils of our present world will come to an end, because Christ will rule in glory. It also assures us that God -- not Satan -- is in control, and someday (as the Lord's Prayer says) His Kingdom will come, and His will shall be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

The real question, however, is this: Are you prepared for Christ's coming? Once He comes, it will be too late to repent and turn to Him -- for He comes to judge the living and the dead. Make sure of your salvation by turning to Christ and welcoming Him into your heart and life today.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

How Can I Keep From Getting Bogged Down While Reading the Bible?
Q: I got a Bible from my aunt for Christmas, but when I started reading it I got all bogged down and after a few days I just quit. What am I doing wrong? I didn't grow up in a church or anything, so maybe that's the problem. -- M.R.

A: A church background might have helped you, but I hope you won't let that discourage you or keep you from discovering the Bible for yourself. You may even find it more exciting than some people do who have brushed up against it all their lives!

Part of the problem is that the Bible is different from any other book you've ever read. When you read a book, you naturally begin at the beginning and go straight through it, page by page. But the Bible is different, because the best way to discover its message is to begin at the center -- that is, to begin with one of the Gospels in the New Testament. (I often suggest people begin with the Gospel of John.)

Why is this? The reason is because the whole Bible revolves around Jesus Christ. The Old Testament points forward to His coming; the New Testament tells of His coming, and what He has done for us. Once you understand who Jesus was and what He has done for you, the rest of the Bible will become clearer.

The greatest discovery any person can ever make is that God loves them, and He sent His Son into the world so they could know Him in a personal way. Don't give up, but ask God to show Himself to you as you read the Bible. The Bible's promise is true: "The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple" (Psalm 119:130).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 21 Jan 2012, 2:27 pm

Billy Graham by ArcaMax, sponsored today by:
Win a Year's Supply of Gas!

Are you being gouged at the pump? Complete a short questionnaire for your chance to win. You must be a U.S. resident and 18 years or older to participate.

Please click for details and to enter.

Will God Help Me With My Christmas in Prison?
Q: Christmas was horrible for me this year because I'm in prison and no one in my family even sent me a Christmas card. I knew they'd said they were washing their hands of me, but this really hurt. You'll probably say I need God, and maybe I do, but right now I can't see what difference it would make. -- J.T.

A: Thank you for your letter, and I'm truly sorry Christmas was such a depressing time for you. Christmas shouldn't be this way; it should be a time of joy and peace. But because we are sinners, it often isn't.

The most important truth I can tell you is that although you feel alone and unloved, in reality you aren't -- because God loves you, and He is with you. So far in life, you haven't thought about Him very much; you even might have been angry at Him or not wanted anything to do with Him. But God created you and loves you, and you are of great value to Him.

In fact, if you had been the only person on earth who needed to be saved, God still would have sent His Son into the world to die for you. Jesus Christ is the final proof of God's love for you -- and that's why I urge you to turn to Him in repentance and faith, and welcome Him into your life. The Bible says, "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins" (1 John 4:10).

You can't change your family -- at least not now. But you yourself can be changed, by allowing Jesus Christ to have control of your heart and mind. Remember: we are never alone when we know Christ.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:24 pm

Can God Help My Husband's and My Antagonistic Attitude?
Q: I don't know what's wrong with my husband and me. It's gotten to the point that we fight over everything, even when it's not particularly important. It wasn't like this at first. What's gone wrong, and can God somehow get us out of this? -- Mrs. V. McL.

A: I want to assure you that God doesn't want your marriage to be like this -- and it doesn't need to be, if you'll turn it -- and your lives -- over to Him. God gave marriage to us, and He wants to help us follow His design for marriage.

Have you ever asked yourself why you and your husband can't ever agree, even on things that don't really matter? I suspect the real reason is that you both want to be in control, and you can't stand giving in to the other person, even if they are right. In other words, the real problem isn't just with your spouse; the real problem is within you (as well as within him). And until you change, you can't expect him to change either.

How can you change? First, be honest about your pride and your unwillingness to give up your desire to have your own way. That won't be easy; admitting our pride and our stubbornness seldom is. But always insisting on our own way is an almost-certain path to conflict. The Bible says, "Love is patient, love is kind.... it is not self-seeking" (1 Corinthians 13:4-5).

Then turn your life -- including your marriage -- over to Jesus Christ. He wants to come into your lives and take away your self-centeredness, and then give you a new love for each other. And He will, as you submit to Him every day. Don't give up, but open your heart to Jesus Christ today.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

Will God Give Me Another Job if I Quit?
Q: I feel like I'm in a box, because I don't like my job and I don't particularly like the people I have to work with. I want to quit, but my wife says I shouldn't. Will God give me another job if I quit? He doesn't want me to be unhappy, does He? -- W.J.

A: No, God doesn't want you to be unhappy, but this doesn't necessarily mean that you ought to quit your job, or that this would be God's solution to your unhappiness. After all, wouldn't you be even more unhappy if you found yourself unemployed for an extended period of time?

You see, when we find ourselves unsettled or unhappy it doesn't necessarily mean that God wants to change our situation. Sometimes He does, but not always -- and it's important to understand this. Instead of changing our situation, He may want to change us -- to give us the patience and the inner strength we need to stay with it. In other words, escaping from something we don't like isn't always God's will.

I often think of the Apostle Paul in this connection. Several times he found himself thrown into prison because of his refusal to stop preaching the Gospel. I have no doubt that if he'd had a choice, he would have wanted to be free. Instead, he turned to God and found the inner strength he needed to overcome his discouragement. In the midst of prison, he declared, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:13).

Open your heart and life to Jesus Christ, and then seek His will about your future. Then make it your goal to be faithful in your responsibilities, and to ask Him every day for His strength and contentment wherever He puts you.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

Should We Declare Bankruptcy?
Q: We moved to a new city a few years ago so my husband could take a new job, but I'm afraid we got in over our heads financially. Not only did we buy a house whose value has gone down, but our old house hasn't sold and is sitting empty, and we're burdened with two mortgages. Would it be morally wrong for us to declare bankruptcy? -- Mrs. C.R.

A: I know bankruptcy sometimes is the only way out of a financial crisis, but I strongly urge you to pursue it only as a last resort. I'm not a lawyer, of course, but I do know that bankruptcy can affect your life for years to come.

Is it immoral to declare bankruptcy? Some have argued that it is, since someone is going to have to pay for the debt you incurred. However, I find nothing in the Bible that explicitly forbids bankruptcy, as it is provided for in our legal system (unless the motive is to cheat someone who has lent money to us). The Old Testament actually provided for the cancellation of debts every seven years among the ancient Israelites (see Deuteronomy 15:3).

At the same time, let me urge you to explore every alternative you can. For example, have you considered renting your first house? The rent might completely cover your mortgage payment -- and even if it doesn't, it still could help you financially. A financial counselor may have other suggestions for you to consider. The Bible says, "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed" (Proverbs 15:22).

The most important advice I can give you, however, is to seek God's wisdom, and to trust this whole matter into His hands. He knows what is best, and He can be trusted.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:01 pm

How Can All the Christians in the U.S. Let it Become so Messed Up?
Q: If most of the people in our country are Christians, then why do we have so many problems? Aren't Christians supposed to make the world a better place? I'm not a Christian myself, and to be honest, I can't see that it would make any difference if I were one. -- D.D.

A: You are right about one thing: Christians are supposed to make a difference in the world. They aren't to withdraw and let evil advance unopposed, nor are they to behave like everyone else. Jesus put it this way: "You are the salt of the earth.... You are the light of the world" (Matthew 5:13-14).

But you are not correct in suggesting that being a Christian wouldn't make any difference in your life. For one thing, a Christian knows that this world is not all there is to life, because ahead of us is all eternity with God in heaven. This gives us hope, even in the midst of the pain and confusion we all experience. The Bible says, "Why are you downcast, O my soul?... Put your hope in God" (Psalm 42:11).

Being a Christian would also make a difference in the way you live. Instead of living only for yourself, you'd begin to live for others as well. Instead of searching for happiness all the time, you'd begin experiencing the joy and peace only Christ can bring to our hearts.

(Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.)

Sadly, many people today who claim to be Christians have never honestly committed their lives to Jesus Christ. Don't be one of them, but by faith reach out and make Christ the center of your life -- beginning today. Then ask Him to help you make an impact for good on the lives of others -- an impact not only for this life, but for eternity.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:06 pm

Why Doesn't My Dad Compliment Me?
Q: No matter how well I do at something, my Dad tells me I should have done better. Just once I'd like to hear him compliment me, but he never does. Sometimes I wonder if he even loves me. Is God like this? -- Z.N.

A: No, God isn't like this. God loves you, and more than anything He wants to come into your life and welcome you into His family. And He has done everything possible to make this a reality.

Does this mean God isn't concerned when we do wrong? No, of course not. God is pure and holy, and when we do wrong, we are guilty of rejecting Him and going our own way. But He doesn't stand on the sidelines (so to speak), yelling and telling us that if we don't do better He won't love us. He loves us anyway -- simply because love is part of His character. The Bible says, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1 John 3:1).

How do I know God loves us? I know it because He sent His only Son into the world to die for us. You see, no matter how hard we try, we can never measure up to God's standard -- which is perfection. But on the cross Jesus -- who was perfect -- willingly took upon Himself our sins and our guilt. Accept the gift of God's love by inviting Christ to come into your life today.

As a footnote, I hope your letter will help some parents realize the importance of expressing love to their children. Your father loves you; if he didn't, he wouldn't care how you did. Ask God to help you express love to him -- and in time, perhaps he'll learn to do the same to you.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 14 Jan 2012, 7:27 pm

Will God Help Me Make the Right Decision?
Q: I'm graduating from college shortly, and I've already accepted a job that looks like a perfect fit. However, I can't get over the feeling that I might be making a mistake -- although I don't know why. Would it do any good to ask God to show me if I'm making the right decision? -- L.W.

A: Yes, of course it would -- and I urge you to do so. God is concerned about every part of our lives, and the most important thing we can do when we face decisions is commit them to Him and seek His guidance.

This wouldn't be true if God didn't care about us. But He does care -- and my prayer is that you will discover this in a new way as you think about your future. God loves you and knows all about you; He knows what's right for you and where you ought to be in the future. Could anything be more important than being in God's will -- and knowing it?

How can you know what God wants you to do? Begin by committing not just your future, but your whole life, to Jesus Christ. He wants to come into your life and be your companion every day, helping you do what is right. Ask Christ to come into your life today, and make it your goal to follow Him.

Then pray for God to guide you and give you peace, confirming in your mind and heart what way is right. Don't trust your emotions; they can mislead you or fill you with self-doubt. The Bible says, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it'" (Isaiah 30:21). Then step out in faith, trusting He is with you.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

Why Did God Make Me So Shy?
Q: I feel all alone in the world. I have lots of people I know casually (like at work), but no one would miss me if I left town or died. Why did God make me so shy and unable to make friends? -- D.Y.

A: I don't know why God gave us different personalities -- although life would probably be a lot duller if we were all alike! But God knows what we're like, and I want to assure you He loves you and wants to help you overcome your loneliness.

What can you do? One thing would be to realize that you aren't the only shy or lonely person in the world -- not at all. The lonely may go unnoticed because they don't seek attention, but they're still there -- and in fact, they're all around you. Who would make a better friend to them than someone like you? Ask God to help you be a friend to someone who may feel just like you do.

But the most important truth I can tell you is that you already have a friend -- and that friend is Jesus. God loves you; He loves you so much that His Son was willing to die for you. The Bible says, "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins" (1 John 4:10). He knows all about you -- and you are of great worth to Him. Respond to His love by asking Christ to come into your life today.

Then seek out a church where you can grow spiritually, as you hear the Bible taught and have opportunities for fellowship with others. There you will find people who care about you -- and you'll learn to care about them.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

Is It Too Late for Me?
Q: I've been very successful, but one reason is because I haven't been as honest as I could have been. Now the doctor has told me I only have six months to live. I'm haunted by guilt, and I fear death. Is it too late for me to turn to God? -- J.D.

A: No, it's not too late for you to turn to God -- and I pray you will, because very shortly you will enter eternity, and you're not prepared for that day. The Bible says, "Now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2).

One of the Bible's greatest truths is that God loves us, and no matter what we have done, He yearns for us to turn to Him for the forgiveness we need. Yes, it would have been better if you'd lived an honest life and had given your life to Christ many years ago. Perhaps your letter will be a warning to someone who is tempted to go down the path you followed.

You can't change the past; you can only regret it. But you can change the future by giving your life to Christ and discovering the joy of His forgiveness. By a simple prayer of faith ask Him to come into your life to forgive and cleanse you -- and He will. May your prayer be that of King David: "Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.... and I will be whiter than snow" (Psalm 51:2,7).

I also urge you to do whatever you can to repay those you've hurt. It may not always be possible -- but even a word of contrition will let them know you regret what you did, and may even point them to the Savior who has changed your life.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 11 Jan 2012, 7:49 pm

What Did Jesus Say About Hell?
Q: Did Jesus ever say anything about hell? I don't believe in hell myself. I believe God is a God of love and wouldn't send anyone to hell. I think preachers who talk about hell all the time are just trying to scare people into believing in their religion. -- N.H.K.

A: Yes, Jesus did talk about the reality of hell -- in fact, He talked about it more than any other person in the Bible. He warned, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28).

Did He say this simply to scare us? The reality of hell should frighten us, because not one word in the Bible about hell would ever make you want to go there -- not if you take it seriously. The Bible speaks of hell as a place of absolute loneliness and despair and hopelessness. It calls it a place of "darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 22:13).

But Jesus didn't talk about hell just to scare us. He talked about it instead because He wanted us to know that God has provided a way of escape! Listen: God doesn't want you to be separated from Him forever. He loves you, and He wants you to spend eternity with Him in heaven. Unlike hell, heaven is a place of joy and peace and freedom from all the fears and pains of this world. Who wouldn't want to go there?

Don't gamble with your soul, and don't turn your back on Jesus. Instead, by faith turn to Christ and commit your life to Him. He alone gives us hope -- hope for today, and hope for eternity.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

Can God Help a Single Dad?
Q: People talk about how hard it is to be a single parent, and believe me, it is. Most of them are mothers, but I'm a single dad and I think that's even harder. I don't know why I'm writing you, but maybe you can encourage me somehow. -- P.H.

A: Yes, it's hard being a single parent, whatever the cause might have been. And I'm sure you're right; it must be even more difficult being a single father. One reason I wanted to reprint your letter is because I hope it will make us more sensitive to the difficulties single parents face.

The greatest encouragement I can give you is to assure you that God knows all about your situation, and He loves you and wants to help you. Some Bible scholars have even suggested that Mary, the mother of Jesus, might have become a single parent at some stage, since Joseph is not mentioned later in the Gospels. Although this isn't certain, you can be sure that God has a special place in His heart for parents who must face life alone.

I often think of the heartache and sorrow that engulfed ancient Judah when Jerusalem was destroyed and countless parents lost their spouses. Jeremiah lamented, "We have become orphans and fatherless, our mothers like widows" (Lamentations 5:3). Yet he also could say, "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail" (Lamentations 3:22).

May you turn to God for the strength and wisdom you need every day. If you have never done so, ask Christ to come into your heart, and begin building your life on Him. Then seek practical help; many churches today have special programs for single parents, both to encourage them and provide practical help for the issues they face.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:14 pm

What's The Most Serious Sin We Can Commit?
Q: What's the most serious sin we can commit? Maybe I shouldn't feel this way, but I wonder sometimes if I've committed it, whatever it is. I know I haven't lived the kind of life God probably wants me to live. -- G.T.

A: In our eyes, some sins are admittedly more serious than others, usually because they hurt someone or cause greater heartache than a so-called lesser sin. This is why our courts punish crime -- and the more serious the crime, the greater the punishment.

But in God's eyes, all sin is serious, and even one sin -- just one -- will cut us off from God and make us subject to His judgment. I realize this may be hard to understand, since it's very different from the way we normally look at sin. But God is pure and holy, and even one sin is an offense to Him. The Bible says, "Your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear" (Isaiah 59:2).

This is why we need God's forgiveness, no matter who we are or what we've done. And God has provided the way for our sins to be forgiven by sending His only Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to die for us. We deserve to be judged for our sins -- but on the cross Christ took our judgment upon Himself. All we need to do is turn from our sins and trust Christ as our Lord and Savior.

The greatest sin we can ever commit is to turn our backs on God, and reject the gift of salvation He offers us in Christ. I pray this won't be true of you any longer, but that you will give yourself to Jesus Christ -- beginning today.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 07 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

How Can I Have a More Stable Faith?
Q: Why is my Christian life such a roller coaster? Some weeks, I feel like God is very close, but other times I hardly even think about God. I know it shouldn't be this way, but how can I smooth things out and have a more stable faith? -- Mrs. C.S.

A: The key is to learn to walk with God every day -- because the closer we get to Him, the less we'll be blown off course by circumstances or our emotions. Circumstances change; our emotions come and go, but God never changes -- and neither will our faith if we stay close to Him.

How do we walk with God every day? First, by making His Word, the Bible, a part of our lives every day. Even if it's only a few verses at first, they'll give comfort and stability to our day. You see, we need to base our lives on a solid foundation of truth -- and God has given this to us in His Word, the Bible. Read it... study it... meditate on it... hear others teach it... and let it shape your life. The Psalmist said, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" (Psalm 119:105).

Then make prayer part of your daily life. When problems arise -- pray. When doubts come -- pray. When people say things that hurt you -- pray. When you feel yourself getting down -- pray. When you're tempted -- pray. When you are burdened for others -- pray. And pray with joy in your heart, and with thanksgiving . The Bible says, "Pray continually" (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Finally, have fellowship with other believers. They can encourage you and share your burdens and joys -- and you can do the same for them. The Bible says, "Let us encourage one another" (Hebrews 10:25).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

Which Way Should Our Church Worship?
Q: Our church is being torn over a specific issue I won't name, but what it really comes down to is whether we accept the Bible as our sole authority (as some in our church believe), or we listen to the world and try to discern if God is saying something new (as others contend). Which way should we go? -- J.S.

A: As an evangelist, I've always tried to avoid taking sides in church disputes over the years, but I pray your church will look beyond the immediate issue (whatever it is) and see the larger issue that's at stake (as you seem to have done).

Many years ago, near the beginning of my ministry, a man I respected very much began telling me that I needed to quit believing that the Bible is the Word of God. The Bible was out of date, he said, and we needed to begin looking at it through modern eyes. His arguments were persuasive, and caused me much turmoil for a time.

But the more I studied the Bible, the more I became convinced that he was wrong. For one thing, Jesus clearly accepted the Bible as the Word of God; could I do anything less? In addition, I began to realize that once we cut ourselves off from the Bible, we have no final authority and no solid foundation for our faith. Eventually, I told God that by faith I was going to accept the Bible as His Word -- and He has repeatedly confirmed the rightness of that decision.

Keep Christ at the center of your life, and build your life on the truth of God's Word, the Bible. Remember: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

How Can I Do Good By Our Church Board?
Q: Recently, we had a vacancy on our church board (which oversees the activities of the church), and I got elected. I tried to get out of it, but I guess they couldn't find anyone else. I want to do a good job, but where should I start? -- K.D.L.

A: I hope you'll begin by seeing this as an opportunity God is giving you to serve Him by using the gifts He has given you. The Bible says, "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is.... leadership, let him govern diligently" (Romans 12:6,8).

In other words, don't see it as a burden (although I'm sure it won't always be easy), but as a blessing -- both for you, and for those you'll be helping. Assume that God has put you in this position, and that you have the support of those who elected you. Approach it with humility, knowing that you have much to learn -- but approach it also with courage, knowing that God is with you and can use you.

I suggest you begin by gaining as much wisdom as you can from other members of your church's board (including some who served in the past). Avoid focusing on issues the board may be facing; you don't want to take sides on issues until you have the full facts. Ask instead more general questions about the responsibilities of a board member. In addition, be sure you're acquainted with the church's bylaws or other rules concerning the board's responsibilities.

Most of all, commit this responsibility to God, and pray for His wisdom and grace in all you do. The Bible says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God... and it will be given to him" (James 1:5).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36 ... 41  Next