World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 28 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» israelAM
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyToday at 8:57 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyToday at 8:56 pm by Admin

» AISH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyToday at 8:52 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyToday at 8:42 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyToday at 8:19 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyToday at 6:59 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyToday at 6:52 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 11:39 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 11:35 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 10:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 10:37 pm by Admin

» The Holocaust and Faith
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 10:26 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:52 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 9:35 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 7:01 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 10:07 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 9:38 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 8:06 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 11:13 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 EmptyFri 03 May 2024, 9:56 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 Empty Re: A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Post  Admin Mon 11 Aug 2014, 10:26 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 32 August 11, 2014

Another Thought On Being An Encourager: We Need You! 

Encouragement is the action of giving someone support, confidence, or hope; to persuade someone to do or to continue something; the act of trying to stimulate the development of an activity, state, or belief. We need more encouragers.
You are and encourager when you, as parents, coaches, friends, and fans, surround your little league team before they go on the field and as they come off the field (win or lose) and shower them with high fives, pats on the back, fist pumps, and affirmations that say, “You played a great game!” “You did a great job!” “You can do it!” “We believe in you!” “We are proud of you!”
You are and encourager when as a teenager you take the time to sit down with an older friend, ask for advice, listen to the advice when it is given, and express appreciation for the influence the person is having on your life. 
You are and encourager when your favorite golfer leaves a green, whether it was played well or not, and they hear your cheers of: “Keep it going!” “Keep your head up!” “You’re the man!” 
You are and encourager when you move close to a young woman, put your arms around her, and hold her while she cries. 
You are and encourager when you call a friend  you have not heard from in a while and say, “I’ve missed you.”
You are and encourager when you stop the work you are doing to help a co-worker understand their job and talk with them about how they can do it better.
You are and encourager when you notice the little things that are done around the church that almost nobody notices and you find that person and say, “Thank you.”
You are and encourager when you take the time to write a hand written note to the man who has not been in church for a while and say, “I want you to know that I miss you.”
You are and encourager when you text your best friend and say, “Thanks for being my best friend.”
You are and encourager when walk along side the little old lady in the grocery story and ask her if you can help her get her groceries to her car.
You are and encourager when go to your teacher and say, “Thank you. I’ve learned so much from you.” 
You are and encourager when you promise to pray for someone, then you send them a note to let them that you have just prayed for them.
You are and encourager when thank the server who hands you your coffee and leave them an appropriate tip.
You are and encourager when see someone do a kind deed and you make a point to tell them, “I saw what you did. Thank you.”
You are and encourager when you sense that someone is having a tough day and you ask them, “Are you okay?” And you wait for the answer. 
You are and encourager when you look your son or your daughter in the eyes and say, “I’m proud of you.”
You are and encourager when everyone in the room has lost hope and you remind them that with God all things are possible. 
You are and encourager when you come across a passage of Scripture that reminds you of someone you recently had a conversation with, and you send them a email including the Scripture and say, “This verse reminded me of you.”
You are and encourager when you are listening to someone you love as he shares his greatest fear and deepest regrets, and before you offer advice you say, “We should pray,” and you pray. 
“But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called ‘Today,’ so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” (Hebrews 3:13, NIV)

Tom

A Norvell Note © Copyright 2014. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.

A NORVELL NOTE by Tom Norvell
  - http://www.anorvellnote.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A Norvell Note Because We Are Human - Page 7 Empty Re: A Norvell Note Because We Are Human

Post  Admin Mon 04 Aug 2014, 8:05 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 31 August 4, 2014

Sometimes There Are No Answers

When a dream you have had for years, maybe a lifetime, begins to fade and you realize it is probably not going to come true, you ask the questions, but there are no answers?
When disease suddenly attacks and otherwise perfectly healthy body you ask the questions, but there are no answers. 
When a marriage that began with all the hope and joy that a couple can envision ends with heartache and sorry you ask the questions, but there are no answers. 
When a child walks away from everything you taught them, refuses to explain, and cuts off all communications you ask the questions but there are no answers. 
When what you desire of your heart is always just beyond your reach you ask questions but there are no answers. 
When the love you crave from another human being never develops you ask the questions, but the answers do not come. 
When you think you are doing the right things, making the right decisions, and moving in the right direction but the results you had hoped for and assumed would come do not, you ask the questions but sometimes the answers do not come. 
The questions? Why? Why me? Why us? Why not? Why not now? When? How? Ever?
When you wake up and realize that you are blessed beyond your wildest imagination you ask the questions but there are no answers. 
When your marriage has grown and matured and becomes a blessing to others, you ask the questions but there are no answers. 
When your children make good choices, walk faithfully with the Lord, and experience the fullness of life you ask the questions but there are no answers. 
When you feel like a complete failure in everything you have ever done and cannot remember the last time you did something right, yet you have been blessed beyond measure, you ask the questions but the answers do not come. 

The questions? Why? Why me? Why us? Why not? Why not now? When? How? Ever? 
Sometimes there no answers. At least there are no answers that we can understand. If you will look behind it all — the pain, the confusion, the frustration, the disappointment, the questioning, the joy, the celebration, the amazement — there is an answer. It is the answer who holds the answers all the questions. 
The answer is God. He is there. He has been there through it all. He will be there through it all. He will not leave us. He will not forsake us. He is beyond our understanding. His thoughts and reasons and actions are beyond our comprehension. He is God. He is the answer to the questions that seem to have no answer. Ask your questions. He can handle them. When you see Him, your questions will disappear. 

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9, NIV)

Then Job answered the Lord:
“I am unworthy — how can I reply to you?
    I put my hand over my mouth.
I spoke once, but I have no answer —
    twice, but I will say no more.” (Job 40:3-5)

Then Job replied to the Lord:
“I know that you can do all things;
    no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’
    Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
    things too wonderful for me to know.
“You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak;
    I will question you,
    and you shall answer me.’
My ears had heard of you
    but now my eyes have seen you.
Therefore I despise myself
    and repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42:2-6)

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:50 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 30 July 28, 2014

Let’s Just Be the Church!

This is my plea: Let’s just be the church.
You may begin reading and think, “Man, this guy is angry!” I am not (and if you say that again I may un-friend you on Facebook). That was a joke. I am not angry. I am not bitter. I am not one of those “against everything” people. The goal of my preaching, teaching, writing and counseling is to help people know Jesus and follow His teachings. If you do not believe that look at my Twitter page (@TomNorvell) profile. That means it has to be true, right? I am for doing everything within our power and use everything available to us to help people know Jesus and follow his teaching. 
I am not angry, but I am tired. I am tired of us pretending to be the church but not living like we are the church. I am tired of us playing silly and ridiculous games that make people think we are the church but failing to follow through with the loving message of God. 
At times it appears that we are more committed to trying what is trending to get people into our buildings than we are to being what we need to be when we interact with people. We sometimes seem more concerned about convincing people that we are right, they are wrong and that they “better” join our team than we of loving them like they are and where they are. Sometimes it appears that we have forgotten who we are.
We are not…
A civic club. 
A social club. 
A country club. 
A coffee shop. 
A fast food restaurant.
A resort.
A discount department store.
An entertainment center.
A complaint department.
A recreational facility.
A political party.
A judicial system.
There is nothing wrong with any of those businesses and organizations. They all serve a good purpose in our communities. I am not against any of them. I am not suggesting that we are better than of those businesses or organizations, nor am I ignoring the fact that we can learn much about connecting with people from these businesses and organizations. But, they are not the church. We are. We should not expect them to be what God has called us to be. 
Let’s just be the church!
Let’s just do what Jesus told us we are. 
Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:13-16, NIV)
Living as light and salt is different. 
Living as light and salt is bringing good things to people. The good news. Good attitudes. We are good neighbors. We are good hosts and hostesses. We are good people. We make life better for people around us.
Living as light and salt is surprising people by loving them, being patient with them, and going to second and third mile with them. 
Living as light and salt is not giving on people even when they fail again and again and again. 
Living as light and salt is forgiving them even when they don’t ask for it or deserve it. 
Living as light and salt is using language that encourages, lifts up, and refreshes people around you. 
Living as light and salt is being generous with people who do not expect you to be generous with them, and more generous than you are normally. 
Living as light and salt is listening when you prefer to talk, and sometimes talking when you would prefer to remain silent. 
Living as light and salt is protecting the weak, helping those who are helpless, and defending the defenseless. 
Living as light and salt is walking with and in the Spirit and dumping the garbage in our lives and leaving it behind.
Living as light and salt is refusing to play foolish and stupid religious games and getting serious about imitating God. 
Living as light and salt is loving God and His people. 
This is my plea: Let’s just be the church.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:22 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
July 24, 2014
God’s Perspective

By Answers2Prayer 

We're all familiar with the story of Joseph, how his brothers kidnapped him and sold him into slavery. We've all tried to imagine the horror that Joseph must have gone through. But have we ever stopped to try and put ourselves in the shoes of Joseph's father?

Joseph was, after all, Jacob's favorite son, the oldest son of his favorite, and now departed, wife, Rachel. The Bible gives us some hints into Jacob's reaction later in the book of Genesis, when we see his staunch refusal to allow Benjamin to return to Egypt with his brothers: "My son will not go down there with you, for his brother is dead and he alone is left. If an accident happens to him on the journey you have to make, then you will bring down my gray hair in sorrow to the grave." (Gen 42:38, NET)

Can you blame him? After all, it would be hard to lose any child! I can only imagine how Jacob must have prayed and pleaded with God to bring Joseph back to him safe and sound, that the story of the 10 older brothers was somehow not true. 

Did Jacob ever imagine that Joseph might become ruler in Egypt? Did he ever imagine that God might keep Joseph in Egypt for a purpose? 

Just what was that purpose? In Joseph's own words: "God sent me ahead of you to preserve you on the earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance." (Gen 45:7, NET)! 

When bad things happen, all we can see is how bad things look. What we don't see is what God is doing in the background. We don't see that our "Joseph" is actually safe and sound and that God is using our bad situation to prepare a great deliverance. 

This was just a one-time event, you say? 

I don't think so. Hundreds of years later, a humble shepherd boy penned these words: "You are my source of strength. I will wait for you! For God is my refuge. The God who loves me will help me; God will enable me to triumph over my enemies." (Ps 59:9,10, NET)

Whatever bad thing is happening in your life today, don't wish it away. Don't even pray it away. Instead, watch for God. Wait for Him. Know that somehow He is using your bad situation to prepare a great deliverance, for God is your refuge! He, the One who loves you, will help you. He will enable you to triumph over your enemies!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcement:

Hounded by problems? Have troubles become your "norm?" Do you find it hard to hold on to faith in the midst of dire need? God know! Check out Victory in Trouble, a 4-part mini-series by Lyn Chaffart, designed to help you be victorious through your troubled times.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 21 Jul 2014, 2:40 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 29 July 21, 2014

Be Creative With Encouragement

After I had completed my comments I moved back to my seat as others continued participation in the time of communion. Just as I was about to sit down a young woman whom I had never met moved up beside me and introduced herself. She had been present a time or two before but we had never talked.
She proceeded to tell me how she felt compelled by God to talk to me. I assumed she was struggling with something and needed prayer or guidance I was stunned to learn that she was simply seizing the moment to encourage me. She was not needing me to tell her “everything will be alright,” to offer words of hope for her, nor did she need me to pray for her. Instead, she wanted to encourage me.
She spoke of how she felt the presence of God in me as I spoke. She sincerely explained that she genuinely felt that God was using me to make a difference in this church and that she was deeply grateful for me letting Him guide me as I serve in His Kingdom.
That’s it. She encouraged me and then moved back to her seat.
I learned later that she had shared similar words with another of our members. Both of us expressed how we were moved to tears.
Earlier in the service our youth minister shared this passage:

“Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:19–25, NIV84)

This kind and attentive woman obviously took God at His word and considered how she might “spur another on toward love and good deeds.”
“24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,…” (Hebrews 10:24, New English Version)
“Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out,…” (Hebrews 10:24, The Message)
She had considered, she pondered it, she thought about how she might encourage me. Then, she did it.
She sought me out of the crowd. She took the risk of interrupting me from my private thoughts about the Lord’s sacrifice and encouraged me.
She took advantage of the opportunity to share a kind and genuine message of encouragement with the one who sees it as his role to encourage others.
She was creative. She was brave. She could have waited until the end of the service. She could have written me a note, or a text, or an email. She could messaged me on Facebook. She did none of these. Instead she took advantage of a moment to tell me face to face that she sensed God’s presence in me.
I felt guilty for assuming she was a needy person coming to ask me for help. I felt ashamed of my arrogance. I felt sad that I had labeled her for as a taker. I felt all that, but mostly I felt blessed that she was a giver and a noticer and an encourager. I felt honored that she had taken the time to seek me out and share the message God had placed on her heart.
I was blessed that morning. I will continue to be blessed every time I think about her. I will be challenged by her example to seek out someone to encourage, someone to bless, or someone to express my appreciation for how them for allowing God to be visible in and through them.
Let’s see how inventive and creative we can be in encouraging others to love and do good deeds. Let’s consider it and let’s do it.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 15 Jul 2014, 2:59 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 28 July 13, 2014

Always Walking Up Hill

While visiting our son and his family in Brooklyn, New York recently we spent quite a bit of time walking. Only rode the subway one time. The rest of the time we walked. We walked to restaurants. We walked to the stores. We walked to the coffee shop. Mainly, we walked to parks.
Most of the time we were in the city the weather was unbelievably comfortable, however a couple of days it was oppressively hot. Going to the park on those days was not a bad walk, it was mostly down hill. Going home from the part was another story. It was hot. We were tired. And it seemed like every street was up hill. We would turn at an intersection and hope for a down hill block, or at least a flat block. It seemed as though we were always walking up hill.
Life feels that way some times.
Occasionally we will have a down hill day, or week, or month. Life is easy. Like…well…, a “walk in the park.” Everything these comes easy. Work is easy. Relationships are easy. Marriage is easy. Being single is easy. Being a teenager is easy. Parenting is easy. School is easy. Spirituality is easy. Communication is easy. Sports are easy. We might even say it is enjoyable.
Then, we get tired. We come to a hill. A big hill. A steep hill. And the hill goes on and on and on. We reach a plateau and think, “Ah, we made it.” Only to be faced with another hill to climb. It seems like we are always walking up hill.
In those times nothing comes easy. Life is hard. Work is hard. Relationships are hard. Marriage is hard. Being single is hard. Being a teenager is hard. Parenting is hard. School is hard. Spirituality is hard. Communication is hard. Sports are hard. We might even say with a groan, “I am not enjoying life very much.”
We want to quit. We want to stop walking. But, we can’t. If we quit, we’ll never make it home. We will never make it to the air conditioning. We’ll miss the refreshment of the cold class that awaits us. We will miss the fellowship of resting with the family. We will never be able to look back and share the memories of what we experienced. We can’t quit.
For much of Jesus’ life He walked the world as if He were walking down hill in the shade. He went about teaching, touching, healing, encouraging and giving hope to weary travelers. He assured them that though life is difficult now He has overcome the world. He encouraged them not to quit. He walked in such a way that those who were watching and listening could see that there really was joy in the journey.
One day, Jesus started up a hill. Distance wise probably not terribly long, but as He walked He carried a cross. His cross. When He could not carry it alone someone helped Him carry it to top of the hill. When He reached the top He died.
Those watching assumed his journey was a waste, but it wasn’t. It was at the end of the upward climb that victory appeared. It was at the top of the hill that death was defeated. Because He climbed the hill He was rewarded.
If we keep walking, even when it seems all uphill. He climbed the hill we will be rewarded if we continue to climb.
Because He climbed the hill we have the opportunity to be reunited with loved one, re, refreshed, and

Tom

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 28 July 13, 2014

Always Walking Up Hill

While visiting our son and his family in Brooklyn, New York recently we spent quite a bit of time walking. Only rode the subway one time. The rest of the time we walked. We walked to restaurants. We walked to the stores. We walked to the farmers market. We walked to the coffee shop. Mainly, we walked to parks.
While in the city the weather was unbelievably comfortable, except for a couple of days when it was oppressively hot. Going to the park on those days was not a bad walk, it was mostly down hill. Going home from the part was another story. It was hot. We were tired. We were hungry. It seemed like every street was up hill. We would turn at an intersection hoping we had reached a plateau. It seemed as though we were always walking up hill.
Life feels that way some times.
Occasionally we will have a down hill day, or week, or month. Life is easy. Like…well…, a “walk in the park.” Everything comes easy. Work is easy. Relationships are easy. Marriage is easy. Being single is easy. Being a teenager is easy. Parenting is easy. School is easy. Spirituality is easy. Communication is easy. Sports are easy. Life is good!
Then, we get tired. We come to a hill. A big hill. A steep hill. And the hill goes on and on and on. We reach a plateau and think, “Ah, we made it.” Only to face another hill to climb. It seems like we are always walking up hill.
In those times nothing comes easy. Life is hard. Work is hard. Relationships are hard. Marriage is hard. Being single is hard. Being a teenager is hard. Parenting is hard. School is hard. Spirituality is hard. Communication is hard. Sports are hard. Life is not good.
We want to quit. We want to stop walking. But, we can’t. If we quit, we’ll never make it home. We will never make it to the air conditioning. We’ll miss the refreshment of the cold glass of water that awaits us. We will miss the fellowship of resting with the family. We will never be able to look back and share the memories of what we experienced. We can’t quit.
For much of Jesus’ life He walked the world as if He were walking down hill in the shade. He went about teaching, touching, healing, encouraging and giving hope to weary travelers. He assured them that though in this world life is difficult, He has overcome the world. He encouraged them to walk and not quit. As He walked the people could see that there really was joy in His journey.
One day Jesus started up a hill. As He walked He carried a cross. His cross. When He could not carry it alone someone helped Him carry it to top of the hill. When He reached the top He died.
Those watching assumed his journey was a waste. We know that it was not. At the end of the upward climb was victory. At the top of the hill death was defeated. At the end of His climb the Father was glorified.
As we walk, even when it seems our walk is all uphill, we remember that because He climbed the hill victory is ours. We remember that at the top of the hill there will be reunion, restoration, refreshment, and rest.
Keep walking and remember He has walked up the hill before you, and He is walking with you now.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 08 Jul 2014, 7:02 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 27 July 7, 2014

What Will They Say?

I sat in the packed church sanctuary for the memorial service of a  minister friend who served one church for forty years. Co-workers, friends, and family members shared memories and offered praise for a life well lived. Videos and music illustrated the fullness and richness of this good man’s life. There were tears, there was laughter, there was joy and there was sorrow. 
As I listened I wondered, what if that were me, what would they say?  Would people talk about what a fun guy I was? Would they share stories of how I enjoyed the journey? Would they talk about how much I loved people and how much I loved the Lord? Would they talk about me making a difference in the lives of people? Would my co-workers talk of what a privilege and joy it was to work with me? Would it be a celebration of my life or would it be a sad memorial for a man whose life had simply come to an end?
I’m not fishing for affirmation or compliments. For me to spend the time during and after a memorial service reflecting on my own life is fairly  normal. Maybe a bit more at this service because he was a minister, so close to my own age, and such a good guy.
These reflective thoughts may have been more intense after having had contact with two men earlier in the week who have helped shape my life in very powerful ways. The conversations with these two men reminded me of the commitment I made many years ago to live “life to the full” (John 10:10). All of this together remind me of who I want to be, who I have tried to be, and the legacy I want to leave. It caused me to recommit myself to throw off distractions that keep me from living the life I want to live and the life I believe the Lord wants me to live. 
A few months back I designed a bracelet. You know the bracelets I’m talking about. The colorful rubberized kind that so many wear. After wearing a couple of different ones for several years I decided to combine them into one of my own. [Photo above] 
The message is simple and formed out of Scripture:

No Complaints!
Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. (Philippians 2:14-16)

No Fear! 
For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” (Isaiah 41:13)

Finish Strong
For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (1 Timothy 4: 6-8)

As a companion to those three phrases I want people to be able to look at me and remember me as a man who lived, as Paul instructed, “Walk by the Spirit.” To live a life that is characterized by these qualities. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Emphasis mine) Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:22-26)

Somewhat like Joshua, “You can choose to live however you please to live, but as for me, and I hope my household, I’m going to live like this.” 

No Fear. 

No Complaints. 

Finish Strong. 

A life characterized by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:00 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 26 June 30, 2014

So Many Mattress Stores; So Many Churches

For several weeks there was speculation about what was being built at the intersection just below our church building. Some said a gas station, but that quickly proved wrong as the style of the building and parking lot became evident. Others hoped for nice restaurant. Personally I hoped for a coffee shop that would allow me to run a hose directly from their place to my office. Also wrong. The guessing and speculation ended when the sign was erected: a Dental Office and a Mattress Store. 
What? Another Mattress Store? Why? There’s one literally right next door. There’s another about a quarter of a mile road. There are two more just over a mile in the other direction…and they are right across the street from one another. Do we really need another mattress store?
From another perspective…
For several months we wondered what they were building on the vacant lot in our neighborhood. Maybe a park? Maybe a school? Maybe a shopping center? Maybe a putt-putt course?  Finally a sign went up. Whaaaaaat? A church? Another church?
Why another church? There churches all over the city! There’s a church just down the street. There’s another church of the same tribe less than a mile away. And, there’s probably a dozen more churches within in a five mile radius of the new church. Do we really need another church? 
One reason for so many mattress stores is because people have different opinions about what type of mattress they prefer to sleep on. Some like a firm mattress. Some like a soft mattress. Some want a mattress that is adjustable. Some prefer a mattress that is divided in two so that each person can adjust their side without bothering the other person. Each store offers a variety of mattresses and warrantees and discounts. Each store has this in common: “We sell mattresses.” 
Personal preference also has a lot to do with all the different churches. Some prefer one type of worship over another. Some prefer one type of preacher over another. Some like large churches, some like small churches and some like medium size churches. Some base their preferences on the type of ministries that are offered for children, students, and senior citizens. Most people, at some level, have Biblical reasons for choosing a church. Based on their understanding of Scripture a church should look a certain way, act in a certain way, and sound a certain way. Anything different is wrong. 
Unfortunately, and sometimes too often, churches are formed because one group reacted angrily to the actions of another group and packed their things and left. Others leave because they felt forced out. Other feel they have lost control so they got angry and left. With the current changes in worship some choose a different church because they preferred another style, or could no longer tolerate the new style (or the old style). 
Whatever the reasons — right, wrong, or indifferent — the casual observer and the honest seeker may watch and wonder why so many churches? 
I wonder if the One who came up with the idea and is the reason for church might move among us and also ask: why so many churches? 
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” (John 17:21-22)

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:19 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 25  June 23, 2014

UPDATE: A few weeks ago I wrote about a golf course in our area that has closed and how quickly it has fallen into disrepair (It Doesn’t Take Long). Good news! Someone has worked over the last few weeks to do some mowing and cleaning of debris. On a recent walk I could see significant evidence that the beautiful piece of earth is not being totally forgotten. Today I learned that next weekend the old course will be the site of a Disc Golf Tournament. Supposed to be a big deal. Glad the beautiful piece of earth is being used for something good and being cared for. I am certain many of you have been losing sleep over the status of this former golf course, so I wanted you to rest easier.

Caring For Your Soul

The reason I walk by or through that golf course is because I am concerned about my health…physical health, mental health and spiritual health. Noticing how we sometimes abuse or neglect the earth, reminds me of how I sometimes abuse or neglect my body and my soul. When I neglect or abuse my body and my soul I suffer the consequences. 
I offer these three “Rs” that I find helpful in caring for my soul.     

Relax.
This may involve relax sitting on my deck with a morning cup of coffee. It may involve sitting on a beach with a cup of coffee. It may involve sitting in my office at my desk with a cup of coffee. (Coffee is important to my relaxation.) This may take place on a Sunday afternoon in our living room with a ballgame, or a golf tournament, or a mindless sitcom on the television. Feet propped up on the ottoman. Head back, mouth open, eyes closed. Relaxed.
Relaxation may take place on a golf course. It may involve taking a long walk along a serene path. Before my knees and ankles starting talking back to me it often involved a good long run. 
Whatever is relaxing for you, do it often and regularly. Some people fish. Some people hunt. Some people cook. Some people eat (take it easy on that one). Some people like to read novels. Some people like to write. Some play a musical instrument. Some work on cars. 
Find what relaxes you and do it. Do not make it a chore. The object is to relax.

Reflect. 
This also often involves having a cup of hot coffee in a quiet place. Often it involves a pen and a journal, or my Day One journal on my laptop. The key for me is to write. Write about my week. Write about my day. Write about what troubles me. Write about what brings me joy. Write about frustrations. Write about disappointments, failures, hopes or dreams. These articles are often the result a time of reflection when I simply started writing about what was on my mind. 
If I wake in the middle of the night and cannot go back to sleep I get up and journal about whatever is on my mind. Once I have emptied my I can lay back down and fall right off to sleep. 
Failure to time to reflect is one of the tragic losses of our fast pace, get-me-on-to-the-next-thing world we live in. By reflection I simply suggest that you take some time after finishing a project, transitioning from a major event in your, or a the ending of a relationship spend time in quiet reflection. What was good about it? What was bad about it? What did I enjoy? What did I hate about it? Sometimes it is nothing more than honestly expressing my feelings about a life event. 

Refuel. 
If you spend all your time relaxing and reflecting people may call you a lazy day-dreaming bum. You will not accomplish much. To refuel means to regroup, to retool, to refresh your spirit and restore your soul so that you can get back into action. Without the refueling you may never get back in the game. 
You are not designed to be constantly overbooked, overextended, and fatigued. The refueling process is where we regain our energy. Refueling involves allowing yourself time to recover and plan your next move.
We need times of relaxation, reflection, and refueling. If we fail to refuel we will forget our purpose of being: To know and help others know Jesus. 
When I neglect my body and soul by failing to to relax, reflect, and refuel I am more likely to become overwhelmed, overcommitted, overstressed, overextended, frustrated, fearful, frazzled, and fragile. That is not a good way for me to be. 
How is your soul? 

Tom

A Norvell Note © Copyright 2014. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.

- http://www.anorvellnote.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 16 Jun 2014, 7:46 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 24 June 16, 2014
Traditions

All week long I have been trying to think of something inspiring, encouraging, challenging, or funny for fathers, on this Father’s Day. Has not happened. So, here I sit late in the day on Father’s Day doing what I typically do on Father’s Day which has been a fairly traditional Father’s Day: Preach in the morning, teach a class, enjoy a nice lunch at a nice restaurant, watch the final holes of the U. S. Open, later tonight I will watch game 5 of the NBA finals, and occasionally I flip the channel to check the scores in the College World series or the World Cup. It is a tradition. 
It is a tradition that my wife and children have always tried to make sure does not get broken. They have been, and continue to be, very supportive (maybe tolerant is a better word) of tradition of watching championships in sports. It is a very relaxing way to spend the day. I love the tradition. 
There are other traditions that I enjoy as well. I like certain foods on holidays. On Thanksgiving I like turkey and dressing. On Christmas I love sausage balls (made by my wife) and Divinity (made by my sister and/or my daughter). On my birthday I like the cocoanut cake (Dorothy Johnson’s cocoanut cake) that my wife makes. I think it is important to be with family or at least have some form of significant communication on birthdays and other special days. I hope I can continue these traditions, but if they change I will survive. 
I have other traditions as I go through the work week. On Mondays I like to do fairly light stuff in the office. Late on Monday I like to start working through my sermon for the next Sunday. By the time I leave the office on Thursday afternoon I like to have my sermon pretty much completed. I like to have at least an idea for these articles early in the week so that I can let it simmer, and prefer to have the article completed by noon on Saturday (that rarely happens). Traditionally I am finishing the articles late on Sunday…like today.
I have other traditions that involve spiritual things. I love that we have a fairly similar style of worship from week to week. And I love it that we beginning to traditionally do things differently. I love our tradition a cappella singing…when it is done well. I also love other types of worship settings and music.
There are other traditions that I am glad are changing. I love the way weddings that were once steeped in traditional language and activities are becoming more traditionally different. I feel the same way about funerals. I hope we can continue to adjust our worship settings to enhance communication and promote relationship building experiences. I am glad I am not required to wear a suit and tie when I preach or when I go to the office during the week. I love that if I prefer to wear a suit and tie I can. 
I hope some of the tired and worn-out traditions continue to fade away. I hope that some of the new traditions that we are developing do not become tired and worn-out traditions. I hope we continue to be very prayerful about the traditions we change and the traditions we keep. I hope that we continue to understand that traditions are not necessarily bad because they are tradition, that they are not law and that traditions can and times should be changed, and that changing them does not mean that we have abandoned the faith, the fellowship, or the Father.
I hope Jesus never has to say this to me: “You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.” (Mark 7:8) Or this: “How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?” (John 5:44)
Father’s Day is almost over. Another tradition has about to come to an end. If next year we spend the day differently I will be fine. Traditions, even really good traditions, can change.  

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 09 Jun 2014, 7:36 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 23 June 9, 2014

Excluded From the Conversation 

As I sat in exam room waiting for the doctor I could hear lively conversation and laughter on the other side of the door. A nurses station was only a few feet from the door of the exam room. I could hear them talking, but I could not understand anything they were saying. I could hear them laughing but I had no idea what they were laughing about. For a moment I imagined they were looking at my chart. Whatever the topic of their conversation, and whatever or whoever was the subject of their laughter, I was excluded. I was not privy to what they were talking and laughing about.
For a brief moment I was curious. At another time in my life it might have hurt my feelings. When the doctor came in I forgot about the group outside. After giving me a good health report and directing me to the check-out desk doctor commented on what a good time the group at the nurses station was having. I left without knowing what they were talking about and not giving it much thought (except for the purpose of this article). 
For me to be excluded from the conversation at the nurses station (and many other conversations) is not a big deal, however there is one time when I not want to be excluded or to exclude others: When God’s people are gathered. 
There are there times when I wonder if our language, churchy language, may exclude our guests? When we talk about things we have known and experienced all our lives we may be excluding someone who has recently joined us. Our guests may feel like they are in one room listening to a muffled conversation in another room. We talk about sermons, songs, communion, and spirituality assuming everyone knows what we mean. They may not. We may assume they understand our insider comments, when to do what and how and why. They may not. 
We talk about projects and special programs and upcoming events as if everyone knows the when, the where, and the why. They do not. They may wonder what it takes to become part of the “in” group. 
We talk about salvation, redemption, restoration and revival in ways that may sound condescending to those who are searching for salvation, redemption, restoration and revival. 
There is the possibility that our guests will leave our assemblies unconcerned about missing the message, feeling perfectly fine without knowing the inside jokes, and unaffected by missing the meaning. There is also the possibility that they won’t. Do we want to take that chance? Should we be making it so difficult? 
What disturbs me even more than the fact that sometimes we exclude people by using our “part of the club” language, is that too often we do it with a sense of pride in our exclusivity.
Maybe we would do well to take the approach of some of the earliest Christians as described in Acts 15:19, “So here is my decision: We’re not going to unnecessarily burden non-Jewish people who turn to the Master (The Message). 
Let’s remove the walls, open the doors, tear down the barriers, and clean-up our language and stop our activity that would cause anyone to feel excluded, left-out, or out of the loop. Let’s make it easier for people to turn to the Master.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 02 Jun 2014, 8:06 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 22 June 2, 2014

Then There Were Two

The date had been saved and had finally arrived. Family and friends from near and far gathered to offer their congratulations and ask for God to shower them blessings and mercy. The music had been carefully selected. The decorations had been perfectly designed for the setting. The ladies dresses and men’s suits were selected, sewn and fitted with class and style. There was music of reflection, joy and celebration. In addition to the songs were promises, vows, stories, prayers and proclamations. Photographs were taken, food was consumed and the celebration began. One by one and couple by couple the guests made their exits. And then there were two. 
Then there were two. Only the two. The man and the woman. The couple who had pledged to be faithful and true to one another until they are parted by death, drove away in a decorated car to their hotel and no to the honeymoon destination. 
In a few days or a week or a couple of weeks the two will go home. Their home. Their first home. There, in the new home, they will begin to make their life together. There, in the new home, the two will discover that the promises they have made to one another on that one night were more than mere poetic and romantic words. Those words, those promises, now become the life they have committed to live. Those words, those vows, now begin to have a deeper meaning. Now there are two that are truly becoming one. 
The two, may eventually become three, or four, or five, or six, or more. Or, perhaps the two will remain two but will expand their family to include close friends and deep relationships that extend beyond the walls of their home, and those walls will welcome those extended relationships. The two will become more. 
The years will pass. The memories will grow. The relationships will grow deeper. The marriage will grow stronger. The two will become more mature. The two that were once distinctly two will gradually and become more distinctly one. 
Then, one day, one by one those who have grown out the two will find the one and for whom God has been preparing them. They too will save a date, plan the event, create the setting, share their vows, express their love, enjoy the celebration, receive the congratulations and good wishes, and eventually go off on their own where they will grow to become one. 
That is the nature of marriage and the family. That has been the plan since the beginning. 
So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
The man said,
“This is now bone of my bones
    and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
    for she was taken out of man.”
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. (Genesis 2:21-24, NIV)

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 27 May 2014, 12:27 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 21 May 26, 2014

Take Jesus At His Word 

John chapter 4 contains the story of a desperate father seeking help from Jesus for son who is near death (43-54). After explaining the circumstances, begging for help, receiving what appears to be a bit of a scolding, and being told that his son would be okay, the text says this: "The man took Jesus at his word and departed.” (4:50)
"The man took Jesus at his word and departed.”
What if I take Jesus at his word?
Jesus made other promises. 
Matthew 11:28, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
John 10:10, The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
John 16:32, “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
John 16:33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Matthew 6:28, “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 19:25, When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”
26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
  If I take Jesus at his word I could be disappoint. If I take Jesus at his word I might be challenged more than I prefer. If I take Jesus at his word I may experience all kinds of difficulty in this life. If I take Jesus at his word I could experience something amazing. 
“If” is the key word in this statement. Let’s remove the “if.” Take Jesus at his word.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 19 May 2014, 6:14 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 20 May 18, 2014

It Doesn’t Take Long

There is a golf course, or should I say, there was a golf course in our community. The course was once a fairly popular private golf course and country club which included club house, swimming pool, and tennis courts. The course closed at the end of last year. 
Although the decision to close the course had been made more than a year before the actual closing the maintenance workers had done a good job of taking care of the course right up to the closing. Fairways were mowed. Greens were cared far. Sand traps never were great, but they tried to take care of them. That was then. That was less than six months ago. 
To see the course now one has to remind oneself that six months ago it was a functioning golf course. The hard lingering winter, heavy spring rains, and lack of care has transformed the course into an abandoned forgotten track of land that may someday be turned into a park or green space. The downward transformation did not take long. 
In a matter of months fairways have been covered with weeds, great clusters of clover, and wind blown trees. Fallen limbs and trees that once would have been cleaned up have been left along cart paths and the edge of fairways. Greens are now filled with weeds and gofer trails. Carl Spackler where are you?
For a golfer who enjoyed an occasional round on the old course and taking photographs of the beautiful colors of fall this is a sad sight. But there other things that can take a downward turn quickly when the proper care and attention are discontinued.
When a couple fails to give their marriage appropriate time and attention the relationship can begin to suffer quickly. 
When one stops giving attention to his physical condition — stops eating healthy foods, stops exercising, stops getting proper rest — his body will suffer and serious health problems can develop. 
When parents fail to give their children the love and protection and security they need the development of the child can be disrupted and delayed.   
When an employee fails to give his or her job the attention it needs not only can his or her position with the company be jeopardized, but the company itself can be affected. 
When leaders of a church fail to give the love and care that the people under their care need and deserve the whole body will suffer. 
When one fails to feel his soul with spiritual food and receive the nourishment of a healthy spiritual family he will grow weak and vulnerable and easy prey for attacks from the Enemy.
This passage from New Testament book of Hebrews emphasizes the importance of providing care and encouragement for one another.
See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. (Hebrews 3:12-14, NIV)
Now the questions. Are you taking care of yourself? Are you feeding your soul? Are you nurturing tour relationships? Are you fulfilling your role as a fellow believer? If you are, good! Please continue and look for more opportunities to increase your efforts. If you are not, please consider this a warning from someone who cares for your soul — even though I may not know you — I care. You need to take care of yourself and your relationships…especially your relationship with the Lord. It doesn’t take long to see the negative consequences. 
Please start today. Please do not stop. Please look around at those you love and if they need your help, your support, your love, or your encouragement give it. If you need these same things from them, ask for them. 
It doesn't take long. 

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 12 May 2014, 5:44 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 18 May 11, 2014

A Mother I Know

When she first got married having kids was not high on her priorities. In fact, she wanted little to do with the idea. There was fear. There was concern. She had very little confidence that she was capable of being a mother. There was no rush. She was a wife and she prayed. 
She was good with kids. Other people trusted her with their children and she always seemed do well when she interacted with children and seemed to enjoy the interaction. However, when anyone asked, “So when are you going to have children?” She would say, “I’m not sure.” She prayed. 
Five years into the marriage she was ready…or as ready as any new parent can ever be. She was a wife who became a mother. 
When she held her son for the first time you would have never known there was a time when she was not so sure about having children. Some of the fears were still there. “What if I do something wrong?” “Do I have what it takes to be a good mother?” She continued to pray. 
She was protective. Some would say too protective…over-protective, but can a mother really be too protective? She senses things others do not. She sees things others do not. She hears things others do not. She knows things others do not. I suppose she has a right and responsibility to be at least a little too protective. She had become a mother, the world changed, and she loved it. She prayed more. 
Nine years later she gave birth to a little girl. The world changed again. I suppose having a daughter brings a whole new set of challenges for a mother. You remember what you were like as a daughter and probably the negative things stand out more than the positive. You do not want to make the same mistakes your mother made and you want to make sure you do the right things that your mother did. So, she prayed. 
With both children there were some rough times. There were some challenging times. There were some extremely frightening times. There were times of questioning her decisions and second guessing the decisions she had made. There were times of sadness. She prayed through them all. 
There were more good times. There were more times of ease. There were more times of great confidence and trust that the Lord was leading and that He would see that these children were protected. There were more times when the times of confusion and fear turned into times of assurance and affirmation. There were more times of great joy. She prayed prayers of joy and hope.
That son grew to become a confidently gifted young man with a strong relationship with the Lord. That daughter grew to become a beautiful and talented young woman who loves the Lord with all her heart. According to God’s plan they journeyed a path that led them to a wife and a husband who loves the Lord and loves them. She’s a mother and a MIL (Mother-in-Law). Her prayers were answered.
News came that those two couples were to become parents. “Can this really be happening?” “Can we really be so blessed?” Again she prayed. 
In due time two little girls came into her world. Tears, screams, screeches, songs and jumping for joy would become the norm. “Sharing this together as a couple, as parents, and with our children is just such beautiful thing!” She prayed prayers of joy over how God had exceeded her expectations. She’s a mother, a MIL, and now a Yei-Yei. 
She is a woman who became my wife who became a mother to our children who became a MIL to our DIL and our SIL, who became a Yei-Yei. She has prayed through it all and is still praying.
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20-21, NIV)
Thank You God for answering her prayers and for answering my prayers, and for going far beyond our wildest imaginations and expectations. 
Kim, I love you. Happy Mother’s Day!

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 05 May 2014, 6:56 pm

A Norvell Note

Vol. 17 No. 18   May 5, 2014

When I Am Afraid

When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust;
I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me? (Psalm 56:3,4, NIV)
         Psalm 56 expresses why David is regarded as an uncomplaining, meek dove, driven from his native home to wander in exile. He appears to be disturbed by both domestic and foreign foes. David appeals confidently to God, recites his complaints, and closes with joyful and assured anticipations of God’s continued help.[1]
         This short portion of the psalm consists of only thirty-one words but offers some important insights on how to deal with fear and unpleasant circumstances.
         First, admit your fears. David states, “When I am afraid.” The does not say, “I’m not afraid, but if I were this is how I would deal with it.” He simply says, “When I am afraid.” Can you admit your fear? Are you afraid for other people to know you are afraid? That could be a problem. Will you admit your fears?
         Second, when you are afraid, trust God. Stay in His word and trust His word. Trust His promises. Trust His promise that you can trust Him. Read the stories of God’s faithful people. Examine the lives of people who trusted God. David. Moses. Abraham. Joshua and Caleb. Peter. Paul.
Third, do not be afraid. We have already commented on how David admits his fear, and there are times when we are afraid. When we are, we muster all our strength and courage and act courageous. We call these people heroes. Even heroes, when they are being honest will admit they were afraid. No one can hurt me.
Could you write a verse of a Psalm like David? Maybe not as poetic, but here’s my attempt.
Father, there are times when I am scared. At those times, I try to trust. In my heart I do trust you, but my actions sometimes betray my lack of trust.
When I get scared, I try to read my Bible more to remind me of Your faithfulness to those who trust You. That helps. Your word and Your stories remind me that that I am not alone. Others have traveled this road before me. You provided them with strength and confidence. I believe You will do the same for me.
I will try not to be afraid. I will remind myself that You will protect me and that there is nothing that another human being can do to me that will separate me from You. I will remember what You said in Romans 8.
If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
         When I am afraid. I will trust You.
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 28 Apr 2014, 8:03 pm

A Norvell Note

Vol. 17 No. 17                       April 28, 2014

There’s A Storm Brewing

As I write there are storms in the forecast. Not an uncommon occurrence in our part of the world during this season. The weather forecasters have been mentioning the possibility of a severe storm system coming through for several days. West of us storms are already occurring.
         There is a story in Mark chapter 5 involving Jesus, His disciples, and a storm. It is in verse 35-41.
35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”
         Jesus’ disciples were afraid when the storm came. They woke Him and accused Him of not caring about their welfare. With three words, Jesus calmed the storm: “Quiet! Be still!” Then, He asked them why they were so afraid.
         How do you react to storms? Not weather-related storms, but life-related storms? Do you live in fear of the storm that may happen? Are you prepared for the storms that are certain to come? What about the storms seem to come from out-of-nowhere?
         This brief episode from the life of Jesus and His disciples offers are few insights into how we can prepare and survive the storms of life if or when they come.
         First, remember you are not alone. The disciples had each other, of course, but more importantly they were in the same boat with Jesus. He is the one who said, “Let go over to the other side.” He knew the storm was coming. He was prepared for it. He was not afraid of it. When your storm hits, remember He is with you. He knew long before you were born that this particular storm would hit at this particular time. (Don’t ask me how He knew. He just knew.) He also knew He would get you through the storm. He did not look at the fearful disciples, tell them they were losers and step out of the boat, saying, “Good luck guys! You are on your own!” He could have. He did not. He will not.
         Second, remember other storms that you have survived. Has He ever abandoned you? Has He ever left you on the angry mist? Has He ever turned away from you in disgust and left you to deal with life as best as you could? You may have felt that He had, but He has not. He will not.
         Third, remember He can be trusted. He created the world. He set the wind in motion. He knows how much water is in the ocean. He knows where you are in the storm. He understands your fears. He wants you to have faith, but He knows there are times when your faith gets weak. He knows there are times when you feel like your boat is about to sink and you are all your friends are about to drown. He can be trusted even in the worst of storms.
         There is a storm brewing. Or, maybe it is already raging. Or, maybe you have recently survived a storm and beaten and bruised and battered. Thank Him for taking care of you, for not leaving you, and for assuring you that He will be with you through all the storms of life.
         Storms come and go. He remains forever.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

A Norvell Note

Vol. 17 No. 15                        April 21, 2014

And Then...
The longer I live the more convinced I am that we live a significant portion of our live in the “And Then…” phase. It began with the first disciples.
They met Jesus.
And then…He invited them to follow Him.
And then…they put their trust in this man Jesus.
And then…they left everything to follow Him.
And then…they watched Him touch people, heal people, transform people, stand firm against opposition, and reveal His true identity as the Son of God. 
And then…He was arrested.
And then…He died on a cross.
And then…they were confused.
And then…they went their separate ways.
And then…they mourned and grieved and tried to makes sense of it all.
And then…they heard that the tomb was empty.
And then…they came together.
And then…they saw Him alive again.
And then…He breathed into them the Spirit of the Living God.
And then…they waited.
And then…they gathered.
And then…Peter preached.
And then…thousands of people responded.
And then…the news of what they were doing began to spread.
And then…the powers and rulers of the world tried to stop them.
And then…they continued to preach and teach the good news of Jesus.
And then…the powers and rulers of the world became more agitated and threatened them.
And then…they did not stop.
And then…the preached and taught with more courage, a stronger resolve, and greater boldness.
And then…the message of Jesus was proclaimed all over the world. 
And then…the Kingdom increased.
And then…more and more and more have come to know Jesus as the story continues to be shared throughout the generations.
And then…it is our turn.
We come into the world like everyone else. Beyond our family and circle of friends there is little fanfare and the news of our arrival escapes the notice of most of the world. Our journey begins.
And then…we meet Jesus.
And then…He invites us to follow Him.
And then…we choose to follow Him.
And then…we grow and mature.
And then…we consider making decisions and choices that will determine how we live the rest of our lives.
And then…life comes at us with full force.
And then…we pray for strength.
And then…strength and power come to us through His promised Holy Spirit.
And then…we face more trials and troubles and struggles and the forces of evil.
And then…we lose a loved one.
And then…we hear of another marriage that has fallen apart.
And then…our own marriage and family experiences difficult times.
And then…we hear of another minister who has had a moral failure.
And then…we hear of another son who has wandered off into the far country.
And then…we hear of another daughter who has chosen a path that could lead her to regret or destruction.
And then…we hear of another church that has been rocked by selfishness, division and unrest.
And then…we turn to God in prayer.
And then…we pray more.
And then…we wait for Him to act.
And then…we overcome.
And then…we share our stories of how God has sustained us and strengthened us.
And then…we give testimony of God’s amazing power that has always been at work in us.
And then…others are encouraged and strengthened by the story of our walk with the Lord.
And then…they meet Jesus.
         And then…God continues to be glorified.
Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 14 Apr 2014, 6:24 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 14                        April 7, 2014

Myrleen 
Just saying the name awakens an abundance of memories. Since moving to Brunswick, Georgia in 1986 Myrleen, and Bobby, have been names used by my family to describe two people who represented the very essence of love, encouragement, generosity, and respect. Just a little over ten years ago I was honored to conduct Bobby’s funeral service, and this week I will do the same for Myrleen.
Myrleen and Bobby were members of the church where I preached. For all those in our little church Myrleen was known for her kindness, her thoughtfulness, and her desire to make sure all things were done with efficiency, excellence, and style. She could have easily been compared to the woman of Acts 9 described as, “always doing good and helping the poor” (Acts 9:36), and the woman in Mark 14 who “did what she could” (14:1-9).
That was Myrleen. She was always doing good and helping someone. She did what she could to help lady who cleaned her house. She did what she could to help lady who ironed Bobby’s shirts. She did what she could to help the young couple at church. She did what she could to help to widows. She did what she could to help anyone she came in contact with who needed help.
She loved her family. Her sons and her daughter and her grandchildren were the lights of her life. When they needed her, she was there. When they needed help, she was ready to help. She could be tough when she needed to be, but there was never a doubt that she loved.
She loved flowers…especially Daylilies. She loved having them in the house. She loved having them on the table. She loved seeing them grow around her house. And she loved sharing them with her friends.
She loved and she was loved. She loved her church family and was loved by her church family. She loved the people with whom she worked and was loved by people with whom she worked. She loved her old friends and was loved by her old friends. She loved her new friends and was love by her new friends just as much. Part of the reason she loved so much was because had experienced so much love. Part of the reason she was loved so much is because the people she loved knew the love was genuine and real.
For these many years God has blessed our family by allowing Myrleen to fill the role of substitute Grandmother to our children, and a surrogate mother to me. 
She knew the Lord loved and she wanted to please Him more than anything else. Because of her strong work ethic she sometimes wondered if she had done enough to please Him and to get into heaven. When she left her frail and weary earthly body early Saturday morning there is no doubt in my mind that the Lord welcomed her into His presence and assured her that she had done what she could to help people in need and that it is now time to enjoy the reward of her labors.
Thank You Lord, for allowing Myrleen to fill a tremendously important void in my life and for letting me love and be loved by her. Rest well, Myrleen, enjoy to fruit of your good life. You will be missed and will never forget that you loved me.

Tom 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:26 pm

A Norvell Note

Vol. 17 No. 14 April 7, 2014

Contentment

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. (1 Timothy 6:6-8, NIV).

The text says, “godliness with contentment”? One might assume that the two would be joined together in a natural way. If I am godly, wouldn’t I also be content? If I am content, doesn’t that assume some level of godliness? It could mean that, and one might assume that to be the case, but the two do not necessarily always abide together. My desires for “great gain,” whether monetary gain, a gain in respect, or an increase in power and influence may prevent me from being truly content.
Part of the reason may be found in the last two words in the sentence: great gain. If I am seeking, desiring and obsessed with “great gain”, my level of contentment may be dramatically reduced, and that in turn may impact my degree of godliness. The next two verses shed some light on what that is true.

9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (1 Timothy 6:9-10, NIV).

The tone of The Message paints an even more graphic image:
(6-8) A devout life does bring wealth, but it’s the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that’s enough.
9-10 But if it’s only money these leaders are after, they’ll self-destruct in no time. Lust for money brings trouble and nothing but trouble. Going down that path, some lose their footing in the faith completely and live to regret it bitterly ever after. (1 Timothy 6:6-10, The Message)

In a world filled with messages of greed, selfishness, and “great gain” contentment is not an easy achievement. But, it is possible. Consider these few steps to move toward contentment.
First, remember that “we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.” At first glace that might seem easy enough. “Of course this is true!” Yet, many of us live with an attitude that says, “This stuff is mine. I earned it. I’ve had it all my life. And furthermore, I will have it all my life.” If we shift our thinking to the truth that we really did not bring it with us when we entered and we cannot take it with when we leave the world, holding on to it seems less important. A better attitude might be: “None of this is mine. It’s all a gift. It was given and can be taken away, so why should I stress over holding on to it?”
Second, admit that “bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that’s enough” is probably not how we typically think. Admitting that we usually want a little more will not change or remove the desire, but at least it is a start in the right direction. Maybe we could pray: “Lord, I wish bread on the table and shoes on our feet was enough, and maybe someday it will be, but today I want more. Help me mature to the point where that will be enough.” Be honest with yourself. Be honest with God.
Third, remind yourself that striving to get rich and stay rich is a dangerous approach to life. Notice again how The Message says it: “Lust for money brings trouble and nothing but trouble. Going down that path, some lose their footing in the faith completely and live to regret it bitterly ever after.” Jesus talked about a narrower path is less dangerous and leads to real life.
Remember you brought nothing into the world, and you will take nothing out of it.
Admit that you’ve achieved contentment, but keep trying.
Remind yourself that you have a choice in your path: life or death.
But godliness with contentment is great gain. You can do it.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 31 Mar 2014, 6:51 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 13 March 31, 2014

Predicting the Future

Of the 11 millions NCAA Basketball Tournament brackets submitted on ESPN tournament challenge 8 brackets all 8 of the Elite Eight teams. I had one. Not one of the 8 brackets; I had one of the 8 teams in my Elite Eight. I am not very good at predicting the future. 
Of the 11 million-plus NCAA Basketball Tournament brackets submitted only 612 picked the Final Four teams.
I am obviously not the only one who is not very good at predicting the results. There are a few other predictions that did not turn into reality. 
“That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced.” (Scientific American, in a 1909 report.)
“There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.” (Ken Olsen, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977)
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Attributed to Bill Gates, 1981, but believed to be an urban legend.) 
“This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."(Western Union internal memo, 1876.)
"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.”
(Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962)
And a couple of my own.
“Wearing shoes without socks is really a dumb thing to do.” 
“Surely gas won’t go higher than $.59 a gallon.”
Whether making a prediction about a basketball tournament or the future of technology our record is not very good. Our lives are overrun with innovative gadgets of technology that fifty years ago would have been considered far-fetched even for science fiction literature. 
God is much better at predicting the future and making promises. When He makes predictions or promises we can be certain that they will come true. 
Isaiah 53 (NIV)
Who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
    and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
    a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
    he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.
4 Surely he took up our pain
    and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
    stricken by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
    yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
    and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.
8 By oppression[a] and judgment he was taken away.
    Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
    for the transgression of my people he was punished.[b]
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
    and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
    nor was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
    and though the Lord makes[c] his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
    and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
11 After he has suffered,
    he will see the light of life[d] and be satisfied[e];
by his knowledge[f] my righteous servant will justify many,
    and he will bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,[g]
    and he will divide the spoils with the strong,[h]
because he poured out his life unto death,
    and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
    and made intercession for the transgressors.

Matthew 26:28 (NIV)
“This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”

Revelation 22:12-13
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

Revelation 22:20 (NIV)
“He who testifies to these things says, ‘Yes, I am coming soon.’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.”
We may not be very good at predicting the future, but that is okay. We may make promises that we cannot keep. God does. So, if your NCAA Basketball Tournament bracket was ruined early in the first round, you know now that life goes on. If you have seen the world around you change beyond anything you ever imagined, enjoy the advancements. When you read the promises that the Savior is coming, He offers you the forgiveness of all your sins, and that the Lord will return to gather His faithful, and we will live with Him forever, you can rest assured that His promises are true and that His predictions will come to pass.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 30 Mar 2014, 9:34 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 12 March 25, 2014

I Was Young and Now I Am Old

David says, “I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be a blessing.” (Psalm 37:25-26, NIV)
Truths I see in these two verses
Truth #1: I was young and now I am old. That is not a bad thing. That is not a good thing. It is just a thing. It is a part of life. There are many things about have been young that makes me glad I am no longer young. There are many things about being old that makes me wish I were still young. There are many things about being old that make me really glad that I am no longer young. The truth is I was young and now I am old. 
Truth #2: I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. I have seen righteous people suffering and wondering if they had been forsaken. In my attempts to live a righteous life I have sometimes felt forsaken. I have seen some of the children of some righteous people who have struggled to make a living and struggled to provide for themselves and struggled to find their way through life. I have seen righteous people who felt that they had been forsaken, and their children struggle through life, but later both came to realize that God had walked with them every step of their journey and that He had sustained them even during those dark, frightening, and confusing days. 
Truth #3: I have seen the righteous be very generous. Many times in my life I have been the recipient of very generous gifts from very righteous people. I cannot recall meeting a righteous person who was not generous. I have known and know people who have called themselves righteous but were not generous. That makes me question their righteousness. There are times when I think I am living a very righteous life, but discover that I do not feel or act very generous. That makes me question my own righteousness. I feel the most righteous when I am the most generous. 
Truth #4: I have known children of righteous people to be a blessing. Not all children are a blessing. Not all children have righteous parents. Not all righteous people have children. I am confident that when righteous people have children they feel blessed by those children. Children of righteous people are blessed to be children of righteous people…maybe that is why they become a blessing. 
I was young and now I am old. I have learned many things as I have grown old. Some of the things I have learned I wish I could unlearn. I am thankful for most of what I have learned as I have grown old. I have many more things to learn. I pray that I grow older the things I have learned and the things I will learn will be transformed into the wisdom of a righteous man.

Tom

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:39 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 11 March 17, 2014

The Turkey and the Bumper

Listen and I will tell you a story. There was once a turkey who saw his reflection in a truck bumper. (Turkey Video)
In the quiet of the morning a minister went upstairs to his desk to study. As he pondered the Scripture he was reading he leaned back in his chair, took another sip of coffee and looked out the window. Below him and across the street he noticed a turkey in his neighbor’s driveway. The turkey was looking at his reflection in the bumper of my neighbor’s truck. The minister grabbed his iPhone and his camera and began recording the scene. 
At times the turkey seemed to be admiring himself. At times he seemed to be angry with the turkey in the bumper. At times he seemed to be aggressively attacking the rival turkey in an effort to scare him away. 
At first he looked at his reflection in the bumper and pecked it. The minister could hear the pinging on the bumper from across and above the street. Occasionally he would move in super slow motion as if to sneak up on the strange bird. Then, at times he would back a way, look around as if in deep through and shake his head as if to say, “What am I doing?” After pondering the situation he would slowly move his face right up to the bumper staring at the strange bird who looked a lot like him. For minutes at the a time he would stand completely still and motionless beak to beak with the turkey in the bumper. 
This went on for hours until another automobile pulled into the driveway driving him away. Cars passed up and down the street throughout the morning, but the bumper-pecking bird would not be deterred from his pursuit of himself. 
On one occasion his friends gathered around him as if to offer their assistance. He wanted no part of it. With feathers ruffled and beak cocked and ready to fire he made it clear, “This is my bumper and my space.” They quietly walked away scratching in the dirt and gobbling to themselves. 
So it is with the Kingdom of God. Sometimes we act like the turkey mesmerized by his own reflection. 
Some churches and some Christians get so focused on their own identity that they fail to realize how foolish they appear to those observing their actions. 
Some churches and some Christians love the inward focus so much that we fail to see the danger that may be lurking around us. 
Some churches and some Christians spend so much time and energy satisfying their own desires and needs with little notice of the time that has been wasted and how many people have been neglected and ignored. 
What may be humorous to watch in turkey is tragic with churches and Christians. 
“Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” (Philippians 2:1-4, NIV)
Are you listening? Really listening?

To
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

A Norvell Note

Vol. 17 No. 10 March 10, 2014

I Am Not In Control

A story in the gospels, the “Rich Young Ruler” (Mark 10:17-31) reminds me of a common predicament for many of us who call ourselves followers of Jesus. “As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. ‘Good teacher,’ he asked, ‘what must I do to inherit eternal life?’” 
This young man was apparently considered a really good guy. By his own account he had “kept all the laws” since he was a boy. By our standards we would have welcomed such a man into our fellowship with great joy and enthusiasm. He would be one whom we would consider a great addition to our membership roll. We would likely be just as stunned as were His disciples when Jesus basically says, “You are not ready.” 
With one brief challenge the man’s confident countenance falls and he went away sad. The disciples are dumbfounded. “If he can’t make it, who can?” 
Jesus responds: “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” 
Here’s the common situation: Like the rich young ruler, I am not in control. In fact, the longer I live the more realize I am in control of very little. 
Recently, my wife and I have watched three recent movies all of which share this theme of not being in control: All Is Lost, The Impossible, and Gravity. One takes place on damaged boat in the middle of the ocean, one in a tsunami in Thailand, and the third in space. All three portray the main characters in extremely stressful situations over which they have virtually no control. Beyond their own limited resources each one is dependent upon someone or something bigger and beyond themselves for their salvation. 
Thus our common plight: we cannot save ourselves. We are not in control. A list of the things we cannot control is much longer that the list of things we can control. 
Like the rich young man we can choose to obey all the laws of God and man. We can do all that we can do and hope that our deeds will obligate the Lord to save us. “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”
The ability to accept and surrender to the fact that we are not in control may to be the key to real and lasting peace. So, let me help you get started. Repeat after me:
Take a deep breath. “I am not in control.”  
Take another deep breath. “I am not in control.”  

Tom

A Norvell Note © Copyright 2013. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:57 pm

A Norvell Note
Vol. 17 No. 09 March 3, 2014

A Real Person

Maybe you have had this or a similar experience.
You need information or want to make a change to one of your business accounts (credit card, cable company, utility company). Naturally you call the customer service number. Almost immediately your call is answered…by an automated system. “Please listen closely because our options have recently changed.” Remember those first three words: Please listen closely.
You hear the first three options and realize they do not address your needs, so you press the number 4 to get additional options. Still not sure that any of the options actually apply to your situation, so you press the number that is most nearly the reason you called. From there you are taken to another set of options, the final of which offers the opportunity to return to the original set of options. You keep pressing numbers to get more options and wind up back where you started.
Eventually you hear an option that offers to connect you with a customer service person who will assist you. “Finally! A real person!” Yes, it is a real person and they ask for you phone number, your first and last name, your email address, and the last four digits of your Social Security number. After all that you are informed that you need to contact another department. “I will connect you with someone who can help you with your specific problem,” so says the friendly voice on the other end of concern. The annoying music starts and you wait. You remember those words from earlier — listen closely — and wish you could get someone to listen to you.
Your once again greater by a real person’s voice, so you repeat your problem and you are asked to give them your phone number, your first and last name, your email address, the last four digits of your Social Security number, and the name of the Seven Dwarfs. Unfortunately she says she must consult her supervisor and will now put you on hold for just a few minutes. While waiting for her to return you check your email, check the time you have been on this call, go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, and suddenly realize you have been disconnected.
As you redial you shout, “Could I please speak to a real person?”
You can do better. You can speak to the Creator of the Universe any time and any where. John says it well in 1 John 5:13-15: “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.”
Although He may not always respond as quickly or in the exact way we may want, we can know, at least that He hears us. He never puts us on hold. He never asks us to check our relationship status on His website. He never tells us we have reached the wrong department. He never passes us off to His supervisor. Our call is never accidentally disconnected.
In those times when we wish we had a real person, someone we could touch, or someone we could talk to face to face we can be confident that He hears us when we call out to Him, when we cry, when have no words, and when we can only groan and moan. He will respond. He is better than a real person. He is our real God and He loves us more than we can imagine.

Tom
A Norvell Note © Copyright 2013. Tom Norvell All Rights Reserved.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next