World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 40 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 40 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyToday at 12:25 am by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyToday at 12:08 am by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 11:23 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 11:19 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Admin

» SOROS Funds pro-terroist groups support of Hamas
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 10:57 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 10:31 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 10:00 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 7:57 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:29 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 9:19 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 6:38 pm by Admin

»  Biden again-China could start WW3
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:54 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:22 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:10 pm by Admin

» The wonder Prophet of the OT
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm by Admin

» Barry Segal @ VFI News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024, 11:15 pm by Admin

» Jews of Egypt
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024, 9:46 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Tue 18 Oct 2022, 10:23 pm

"Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! Praise the LORD!" (Psalm 150:6 ESV)

Sometimes as workers in God's mission field, we forget how miraculous are the ways of God. We get used to the way we conduct ministry, and it becomes a routine part of our lives. In contrast to what we think, the Lord reminds us that His Spirit is at work in ways that are far beyond our comprehension.

Oday, a young, educated man in the Middle East, was touched by God's love and grace through our book, A Story & A Hymn. It's so amazing to witness how God chooses the way and the time to get into a relationship with someone.

He wrote to our office, "Greetings in the Name of our Lord Jesus. Peace be with all of you. When I first read the hymns in your book, I was extremely full of joy. An unexplainable feeling was growing inside of me. I could not help myself; I felt the urge to take my pen and write you this letter."

The daily tumult and religious tension in our part of the world did not thwart the Holy Spirit from touching the heart of this young man. Oday's writings show that he is experiencing God's power to change lives through the Holy Spirit. He went on, "The stories moved me. The words of the hymns delivered a superb message to me as if the Lord was addressing His words to me personally."

As we read Oday's letter, we are reminded of the power in praising God through any and every circumstance.

A simple hymn we learned a long time ago in Sunday school can be used mightily by God. It can be used to proclaim God's offer of salvation, comfort, and peace to the world and, in turn, reach the hearts of thousands. We praise God because we are thankful for what He has done for us through the sacrifice and resurrection of His Son.

When we praise Him for His grace, we give Him what He deserves, and He offers us a joyful heart. Praise then becomes a deep and profound expression of our love to God and leads us to worship Him with our lives.

Oday concluded, "And I have a request, my friends. Can you please send me A Story & A Hymn (part 2), so I may have the opportunity to learn even more hymns and enjoy the blessings God so gladly provides. Thank you! May God bless you all the time. Your brother, Oday."

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You for the chance to share Your Name and Your great salvation with others. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

From the message, "The Power of Praise," written by a volunteer who works with LHM in the Middle East and Africa
Reprinted with Permission from Lutheran Hour Ministries

Reflection Questions:
1. Are there ways to praise God without singing or speaking to Him?
2. Why is it important to praise God? Is there something we get out of doing this?
3. Can you give 3-5 other Bible verses beyond this Psalm that refer to people praising God?

Announcements
Are you frustrated with an ineffective prayer life? God does answer prayers, my friend. Why don't you come to Answers2Prayer and discover the power of prayer for yourself?

Subscribe Other Devotionals Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 22 Sep 2022, 4:40 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 Egypts10
This is different today. So let's get started. All scriptures are from the NKJV Bible.

Some Things God Can't Do:

1. Get tired: "Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable." (Isaiah 40:28)

2. Takes on a job He can't handle: "Ah, Lord God! Behold you have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for you." (Jeremiah 32:17)

3. Be unholy: "And one cried to another and said: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory.'" (Isaiah 6:3)

4. Be prejudiced: "Then Peter opened his mouth and said, 'In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears him and works righteousness is accepted by him.'" (Acts 10:34-35)

5. Break a promise: "If they break My statutes and do not keep My commandments then I will punish their transgressions with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes." (Psalm 89:31-32)

6. Remember sins He has ready forgiven: "I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins..." (Isaiah 43:25)

7. Make a loser: "Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place." (2 Corinthians 2:14)

8. Abandon you: "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the one who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6)

9. Stop thinking about you: "How precious are your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; when I awake, I am still with you." (Psalm 139:17-18)

10. Stop loving you: "The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying: 'Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.'" (Jeremiah 31:3)

See? There are things God can't do. But when you really think about it, would you want Him too?      

I don't want Him to be able to do any of them. Especially number 10. I never want Him to stop loving me. I can't do life without Him beside me every step of the way. God loves us and is with us always.

Do you want to live for God? I really hope so. The alternative is not something I want to experience or think about.

Kathy Keller Prayer Warrior, Volunteer, Answers2Prayer Ministries

Announcements
FREEDOM FROM FEAR Fear of heights, fear of being alone, fear of pain, fear of close spaces, fear of death ... This world if riddled with paralyzing fear. This all important series will be tracing fear back to its roots, defining it, and providing tips for complete "Freedom From Fear!" Check it out at by clicking here!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 21 Sep 2022, 6:50 pm

Most of us likely think of our relationship with God as being a bit one-sided. We want to be with Him because of what we receive from Him: Blessings, comfort, love, peace, joy, etc. We tend to think that it is ... all about us!

But is it? Is it possible that the God of the universe loves you so much that He, too, benefits from spending time with you?

Check out this verse, spoken by the man in the Song of Solomon: "I have entered my garden, my treasure my bride! I gather myrrh with my spices and eat honeycomb with my honey. I drink wine with my milk." (Song of Solomon 5:1a NLT).

The concept of Jesus seeing us as His treasure, His bride, is referenced in many places throughout the Bible. Here are just a couple of them: "For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called." (Is. 54:5 ESV); "Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready;" (Revelation 19:7 ESV). Although the Bible indicates that the man spoken of in this book is literally Solomon, as indicated in other places in the book, he is representative of the Lover of our souls, none other than Jesus Christ!

Notice the next part of the verse: "I gather myrrh with my spices and eat honeycomb with my honey. I drink wine with my milk." Remember it is the man who is gathering spices, eating honeycomb and honey and drinking wine and milk! In other words, He, too, is benefiting from this meeting of the two in the garden!

This idea is further implied by the second half of the verse. This time it is the young women of Jerusalem, the onlookers, who are speaking: "Oh, lover and beloved, eat and drink! Yes, drink deeply of your love!" (Song of Solomon 5:1b NLT). Thus, they see that the man, the figure of Jesus, is also eating and drinking and enjoying the love shown to Him by His bride!

I believe that in general, most of us don't spend a lot of time thinking about how our relationship with people make them feel. We are far too focused on how that same relationship makes us feel. But stop to think about it for a moment: When you spend time with your spouse, with your kids or with a good friend, doesn't it make you feel good to know that they, also, enjoy being with you?

In general, I always feel that my relationship with God is pretty lop-sided. He gives, I take. This realization that Jesus enjoys being with me as much as I want to be with Him (and even more!) makes me feel like I'm able, in some tiny way, to give back to Him!

The next time you sit down to spend some time with God, remember, He benefits from this as well! He truly wants to be with you, and when you take the time to be with Him, you are in essence reciprocating His kindness and love towards you!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Moderator, Associate Director, Answers2Prayer Ministries

Announcements
What does the Song of Solomon have to tell us about ... priority? Join us on Saturday, October 1, for "A Look at Priority: Unveiling the Song of Solomon, Part 6"!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 18 Sep 2022, 6:17 pm

At the time this was written (2021, but perhaps even at the time this is actually published!), things in my home country of Canada were a bit rocky. What with the discovery of over a thousand bodies of native children in unmarked graves -- around schools that were run by Christian churches, of all things! -- And with the heat dome that scorched western Canada with temperatures of 50 C (120 F), followed by multiple lightning storms that had to date ignited over 200 wildfires, and the town of Lytton, B.C. that completely burned down, and the rise in hate crimes against minorities and indigenous peoples ... to say nothing of COVID and resulting economic crises ... Well the list could go on, but I'll stop there. Needless to say, Canada was high on my prayer list!

Of course I know that bad things are happening elsewhere as well, and have been happening for quite some time; but isn't it true that when it begins to hit "home", suddenly we as humans start to care a whole lot more?

I will make a confession to you as well! This isn't the first wildfire crisis of western Canada, but it is the first that has gotten this much attention in my prayers ... Could it be because we were planning… a trip to bury my departed mom in northern California, and wildfire could close the roads we needed to cross?

And then there was the US/Canada land-border that remained closed at the time to non-essential traffic. Lots of people had lots of important reasons for that to open. I only started praying fervently about it a few weeks ago. Why? Because if it stayed closed, we couldn't go down into California to bury my mom...

I could go on listing all the things that were high on my prayer list, and if I were to be perfectly honest, most of them were seen (by me!) as such high prayer concerns because they in some way impact ... not just my country, but ... Me!

I suppose this is a somewhat human way to look at things, and I'm pretty sure I'm not in this boat alone. Something happened, however, that really hit me. An e-friend in the Sacramento, CA area sent me an email asking for prayer about a wildfire that was burning 200 km from her home... My first thoughts? "I got bigger fires to worry about a lot closer to home!" I am happy to admit to you that this thought never fully materialized. It was not from me. It was from the devil, and as soon as it started making its ugly presence known, I renounced it. Of course I would pray against this fire! Any any other that might be threatening anyone! Why should my own personal concerns supersede those of another? Especially when my own concerns were primarily travel-related, and we were talking about people potentially losing their homes???

It reminds me of a Bible character. Samson was his name, and you can read his complete story in Judges 13-16 . I don't know if any of you have ever noticed that though Samson is one of many judges in early Israel's history, his reign is quite different from the others. Other judges led mighty armies into battle and defeated great enemies, winning back, often at their own expense (remember Jephthah and his daughter? See Judges 11), Israel's God-given land. But Samson's stories are different. Sure, he defeated thousands of Philistines; but if you read his story carefully, each victory was tied into some personal motivation. Even in his death!

I will admit that I've often been critical of Samson. Yet as I think back over my prayers of late, I wonder: Am I any better than Samson?

What if Samson hadn't been so self-focused? He was so strong! He could have perhaps defeated all of the Philistines instead of just little pockets here and there! Perhaps he could have liberated Israel from the Philistines once and for all!

What if my prayers weren't so self-focused? What if I prayed with as much intensity for other people's needs as I do for my own? Would I also see a much wider breadth of victory?

In the future, I will try to follow Paul's advice to the church of Philippi: "Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too." (Philippians 2:3-4 NLT)

What are your biggest prayer concerns right now? Why not send in your prayer requests and let our prayer team pray with you.We are happy to pray for your needs. Send your prayer requests either by replying to this email, or directly by clicking here. Then you can focus your own prayers on the needs of others, and in so doing, perhaps you can "destroy the Philistines" rather than just clear the path for your own desires!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Moderator, Associalte Director, Answers2Prayer Ministries.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 15 Sep 2022, 4:13 pm

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." (Isaiah 26:3 NIV)

A series of massive thunder storms had battered our area recently. Heavy rains, high winds, hail, and lots of lightening had caused flash flooding, knocked down tree limbs and even toppled trees. I had spent the afternoon picking up branches out of my yard and tossing them away. Then just before I was getting ready to take my dogs for their last walk of the day the warnings came on my television and over my phone that another of these storms was headed our way.

I quickly took my dogs outside. Huge, menacing clouds were rolling in while thunder boomed over the hills. I knew that the stars were shining and the man in the moon was smiling up there somewhere but I certainly couldn’t see them. The darkness seemed darker and scarier than usual because I knew what was on the way. That was when I saw it. The tiniest blink of light, up high, at the far end of the meadow behind my house. I smiled. The first of the fireflies had appeared for the Summer at just the time I needed to see his light. Soon a few others were blinking their lights as well. It amazed me how far their light traveled in the darkness of the night and how they didn’t seem bothered at all by the approaching storm. I spent an extra few minutes watching my lightening bug buddies and taking in their message of light before heading in to get ready for the storm. As I did, though, I noticed that the darkness no longer seemed so scary and that my fear had been replaced with joy.

Life does have its share of storms, some caused by nature and some caused by us. We can’t go through life being scared of them, however. God put us here to shine our light. God put us here to share our love. God put us here to ride through the storms, clean up after them, and make this world a better place. Take a lesson from the fireflies then. Let your light shine. It may seem tiny but you will be amazed at how far it can be seen and how easily it can drive the dark away.

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcements
Ever wonder about the decorations of Solomon's Temple? Check out "A All the Way!" A Mini-Series by Suresh Manoharan. 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 13 Sep 2022, 3:00 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 Rest_j10

Are you weary, exhausted, stressed, worried, anxious and consistently on the verge of tears? Are there mornings where all you want to do is remain in bed and wallow in self-despair from lack of will to face the obstacles in your path? 

As you most assuredly know, our lives are not always the proverbial, ‘Bowl of Cherries,’ that we desperately wish them to be. Like a ship on a stormy sea, we are often bombarded by strong winds, rain, lightning and walls of water cascading over the bow. It may at times feel that we’re about to drown in difficulties beyond our ability to control.

Been there? Or might you be there now?

Throughout my life, I’ve spent a good deal of time on my knees before God, pleading and begging and praying for divine intervention with tears rolling down my cheeks. Do I always get immediate resolution to my appeals before God’s throne? No, I don’t. But what I can tell you is that no matter how far-removed from God’s presence I may at times feel, or how uninvolved God may seem in my life’s circumstances, he is still there—lovingly inviting me to take refuge and seek rest in his presence.

There is nothing worse than feeling alone in our afflictions, or feeling that the path in front of us leads deeper into the void. I’m here to tell you my friend, that you are not alone, nor shall you ever be alone if you come to Jesus and bask in his infinite love, limitless peace and unending provision.

“All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.” (2 Corinthians 1 vs 3, 4 NLT)

"Then Jesus said, 'Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'” (Matthew 11 vs. 28, 29 NLT)

The next time you feel that your ship is about to slip below the waves, look up and see Jesus looking down at you with open arms. You might have to tread water for a while longer, but our Lord and Savior won’t leave your side. He’ll stay with you, carry your load, keep your head above water until such a time that he pulls you from the depths and sets you back onto solid ground.

Not sure about you, but I’m happy to find respite for my weary soul. As many times as it takes, I’ll return to the cross with all my heavyhearted baggage in hand, and happily exchange it for a well-rested spirit, calm heart and redeemed life.

Are you in?

Paul Smyth

Announcements
Wonder where evil came from? Check out Tangle Untangled! A mini-series by Elizabeth Price.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 02 Jul 2022, 9:10 pm

"The work of a Beethoven, and the work of a charwoman (cleaner), become spiritual on precisely the same condition, that of being offered to God, of being done humbly "as to the Lord."  This does not, of course, mean that it is for anyone a mere toss-up whether he should sweep rooms or compose symphonies.  A mole must dig to the glory of God and a cock must crow." (C.S. Lewis)

I am often asked about one's talents and how one should apply them.  I am surprised by the number of people who think that they have no useful talent that would measure up to God's good works. Natural talents are human resources which all of us have. These are not the same as spiritual gifts which are given by sovereign choice, by the Holy Spirit, at the time we become Christians. These are supernatural enablements so that we may serve God in the world and in the church and apply our talents effectively. Every Christian has at least one spiritual gift, many are given more than one gift. All Christians are called to the work of the ministry.  Although opinions differ on the actual number of spiritual gifts, God's Word clearly indicates a variety of gifts.

Our natural talents become spiritually effective on precisely the same condition, that of being offered to God.  Even those who are unsure of their spiritual gifts will have a natural or secular talent.  The bible suggests but a few spiritual gifts, perhaps 22, but the range of secular talent increases exponentially.  Human pursuits in biblical times bear little resemblance to the abilities and talents in use today. Daughter Veronica and I will rely on the talents and skills of the air crew as we fly to Norfolk Island.  History recounts incidents of talented people who have used their gift in service to God.  The choosing of the seven disciples tells of men who used their natural abilities in God's service (See Acts 6:1-7).

Many in later life or in retirement have administration or leadership skills.  These valuable attributes can be employed in God's service. To preside over an assembly or lead study groups and guide the proceedings in order to preserve order  and to know how to direct the course of events towards a spiritual goal as led by the Spirit is a gift sought by all churches. Most people like to follow a good leader. God's leaders are not only visionary, they lead by serving.  

The young have talent.  I knew a young girl who became a Christian and was an accomplished pianist - her secular talent became a spiritual gift when offered to God and used in a church situation.  The elderly have talent and more importantly experience.  There are many who give time, many who give labour, thousands who give various skills - all offered to God become gifts for the Kingdom.  Perhaps I have some writing  skills, I offer these to God.  I'm sure you have skills and talent, active or latent - offer them to God.

A Christian's service involves the entire Trinity. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are the sovereign choice of the Holy Spirit. The place of our service is chosen by the Son of God, and the workings, or style, of our ministry is determined by the Father.  This is made clear by the following passage

"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord (Jesus Christ); and there are varieties of working, but it is the same God (the Father) who inspires them all in every one. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good." (1 Cor. 12:5-7 ESV). 

Have a good week in His service.  Will talk to you again on May 23rd,

Pastor Ron Clarke

This is one of a series of weekly messages of encouragement, now in its twenty-sixth year, originating from Gympie, Fraser Coast, Queensland, Australia. A companion Bible study page is available each week. To subscribe via email send to w4w2@bigpond.com with the words 'Subscribe Word (or) Subscribe Word & Study'. Our ministry is free and emailing lists are confidential. Tell a friend or why not put a note in your church newsletter or pew sheet about this ministry - we welcome new subscriptions. Pastor Ron Clarke OAM Word for the Week Mbl.: +61 488 424 321

Announcements
Curious about the meanings of gates in the Bible?  Check out the Gates in the Bible series published through the Nugget. 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 28 Jun 2022, 11:00 pm

Much has been written on this ministry about the "gospel shoes", this third piece of armour we are advised to don in Eph. 6:  "...and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." (Vs. 15 NIV); yet God continues to reveal to me that I'm missing the boat when it comes to those protective shoes of peace...

Last Saturday, I told the story of how I was struggling with a moral dilemma in regards to the sale of my Mazda, and I am so happy to say that by the grace of God, I did honour my promise to this young man. When He didn't get back to me, however, what was I to do? Should I assume this person was no longer interested and contact the other party? Should I just trade the vehicle in and be done with it? Should I...

After much prayer, my husband and I decided we would not trade the vehicle in. When we made that final decision, we could no longer change our minds; but when the man still hadn't gotten back to me several hours later, the worry crept in. I was not at peace! And as a result, I spent a sleepless night with all the "what-ifs" charging around my mind.

That's when God gave me the image of the boots. I saw them in my mind sitting neatly beside my bed. Their soles were special. They looked airy and light, like some kind of impenetrable bubblewrap. It was so inviting that I wondered what was stopping me from putting them on. Apparently God was wondering that too. I could feel Him staring at me with that knowing smile... I knew instantly what 
was going on: God was reminding me that I had forgotten to fit my feet with the "readiness that comes from the gospel of peace."!

I decided to put them on. I wrapped up the car sale problem in a visualized blanket and "handed" the whole thing to Him.

When I came downstairs and checked my computer in the morning, there was a note for the gentleman with the proposed time he would come to look at and test drive the car.

No, all the "i"s weren't dotted and all the "t"s weren't crossed, but I felt at peace. And why not? I chose to put on those boots, didn't I?

Wait. You are not seeing the connection?

It goes like this: When we choose to give God our problems, we have access to God's peace. But we have to put them on. We have to accept that peace! And then this peace becomes like a pair of sturdy boots on our feet, providing protection and readiness to fight whatever spiritual battle is upcoming. When I refused God's peace about the car situation, I was left completely vulnerable and unable to engage in spiritual warfare against the demons of worry; and the result was a missed night's sleep. Wouldn't it have been better to accept God's peace about the situation?

Whatever it is you are struggling with at the moment, surrender it to God, and then accept His peace. For when you do, your feet will stand, ready to fight off whatever demons of worry and stress come our way!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
And God still wasn’t through teaching me lessons from the sale of my Mazda…Join us on Thursday for “Selling the Mazda, Part 3

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 04 Jun 2022, 8:49 pm

"But you, beloved, build yourselves up [founded] on your most holy faith [make progress, rise like an edifice higher and higher], praying in the Holy Spirit." (Jude 1:20 AMPC)

When I was younger in the faith, I recall God starting to teach me about the person of the Holy Spirit. On weekends, I would locate a public school close to my house and find an open, shaded place devoid of distractions. Then, I would sit there and pray in the Holy Spirit for a few hours.

As I sustained my fellowship with the Holy Spirit, I began noticing a huge difference in my understanding of Scripture whenever I read the Bible. It was as if the scales on my eyes had fallen off. I could go out on evangelism and preach boldly. The fire of hunger for God in me increased tremendously.

As believers, if we truly desire to walk in the supernatural, in holiness, and in God's will for our lives, we must be filled with the Holy Spirit and be constantly in fellowship with Him. It's almost an exercise in frustration trying to walk in holiness without the help of the Holy Spirit, for only the Holy Spirit can help our spiritual weaknesses and strengthen us when the chips are down.

The Holy Spirit also helps us to pray when we need help in praying.

"So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance." (Romans 8:26 AMPC)

As the Day of Pentecost approaches, let's decide to make the Holy Spirit our friend and to fellowship with Him constantly, creating a deeper fellowship with God. We can be sure that when we ask the Father to give us the Holy Spirit, He will do so, for He is loving and willing to give when we ask.

"If you then, evil as you are, know how to give good gifts [gifts that are to their advantage] to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask and continue to ask Him!" (Luke 11:13 AMPC)

So, friend, be bold to ask the Father today to fill you with the Holy Spirit. He will do exactly that. As we continue to fellowship with the Holy Spirit, we will continue to walk in God's divine plan for our lives as the Spirit guides each of us into all truth. Pray with me:

Prayer: Father Almighty, I thank You for the free gift of Your Holy Spirit. I ask, Lord, that You would fill me with Your Spirit this day and help me to walk in understanding, in faith, in holiness, and in Your divine plan for my life. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.
Owen Osa
Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission
Announcements
Tomorrow is Pentecost Sunday. Why not spend some time listening to God's Spirit and worshiping and thanking God for the wonderful gift?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 02 Jun 2022, 10:36 pm

It has slowly come to my attention that I have a temper.

If you had asked me this in years gone by, I would have denied it. I have always considered myself to be easy-going, easy to get along with, slow to anger, someone who doesn't hold a grudge. It is amazing what you can convince yourself of, even in the face of the exact opposite! Yes, in more recent months, God has clearly convicted me that my anger is actually quite quick to rise, that I hold significant grudges, and my easy-to-get-along-with nature is nothing but a front, firmly nailed into place  my insecurity...

This all came to me this morning when I was barely able to hold back on my urge to give the cat a well-deserved spanking. After all, wasn't he being ungrateful? I don't want or need a cat at this stage in my life; nonetheless, I took him in and gave him a comfortable home after my mom died. His way of saying "thanks"? Out of the blue, he started spraying an armchair (which I am sure is now ruined), and using the floor instead of his litter box! Yes, I know he is a cat and he doesn't reason the same way we do; nonetheless, my urgent drive to reach out and strike him surprised even me and drove me to my knees in front of my Lord and Saviour. "What is going on?" I cried. "I'm not this way!"

In a flash, snippets of my life raced before my mind's eye. Other times when I had almost not stopped myself, and even a time or two when I succumbed to the urge to strike out when I thought no one was looking... Wait. Am I really that way???

But God doesn't lie, and since I had gone to Him with this problem, I was pretty sure that what He was showing me was His way of helping me to see how urgently I needed to get to the bottom of this. Then together, God and I began to dig into the grime of my life. I felt like I was cleaning out a plugged drain, and it occurred to me that this wasn't very pleasant for God either. There is, however, a sense of accomplishment when you set out to clean something so putrid and filthy; and with God's help, we pushed onward until we arrived at what I realize are not only the roots of this problem, but the roots of lots of different problems in my life: Control and Entitlement!

I want to be in control and when I am not, my anger flares. After all, there are so few thing I can be in control of. Isn't it my right to be in control of where the cat relieves himself???

But that's just it, isn't it. I'm not entitled to being in control. I don't need to be in control. God is, and whether I think so in the moment or not, He's doing a very good job. Lots better than I could ever do.

In fact, I'm not entitled to anything. I am already a child of the most high God! What more could I ask for? And if I truly trust God for everything, than He can handle even the bad things -- yes even the cat box issues of my adopted feline friend!

No, I'm not in control of my cat's behaviour, and no, I'm not entitled to being in control. But I know who is in control, and He is the One who can be trusted in all situations! Isn't this what is by these texts: "Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I will fear no evil, for you are with me..." ( Ps. 24:4a NIV); "The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?" (Ps. 27:1 NIV)? When God is in control, we don't need to be!

So what about my temper?

I asked God this morning to show me the moment my sense of entitlement and my sense of control began to show their ugly heads. This way, I can renounce these demons in the name of Jesus on the spot. Oh, and suddenly I wasn't angry at all at the poor cat... Rather, I made a vet appointment in order to ensure he doesn't have some kind of a medical problem that caused his poor choice of a cat litter box...

What is the take away on all this? Don't just assume you have conquered a problem. Instead, follow the Bible's advice: "Let us examine and probe our ways, And let us return to the Lord." (Lam. 3:40 NASB 1995); "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?" (2 Cor. 13:5 NIV). Open your heart to God and let Him help you examine it -- on a daily basis! God will reveal to you the things that need to be changed, and then you can ask God to help you renounce them.

And while you're at it, remember that being a child of God is a gift. It doesn't mean we're entitled to anything; and it especially doesn't mean we are entitled to being in control! That's God's job, and He doesn't need any help from us! When we do relinquish control, we can be assured that He will lift us up in due time: "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." (1 Peter 5:6 NIV)

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Do you ever wonder how the devil succeeds in trapping so many of God's children? Check out CHECKMATE…Pal! A mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan designed to help us recognize and avoid the of the traps devil!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 31 May 2022, 7:31 pm

"Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need." (Acts 4:32-35 ESV)

When I read this description of the earliest Christians, I'm sorry to say that I'm amazed. Specifically, it's the phrases "no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own," and also "There was not a needy person among them." Christians today are generous, but this is an amazing level of love.

What made it possible? Or maybe I should be asking, "Why do we have trouble with this today?" I think it has to do with fear. Money is a safeguard against fear, or so we think. In the back of our minds we know that if we have money, we probably don't have to worry about going hungry or being homeless or doing without electricity or heat. And even if we get sick, money will help us get treatment. And so we hang on to our money and assets, because we are afraid.

The first Christians must have had the same kind of troubles. So why could they let go of their money so freely, even joyfully? I think it's because of verse 33: "with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus." Day and night, they were surrounded by people who had seen Jesus risen from the dead. And those people kept talking about it! Jesus' resurrection was the basis for their whole lives—not just something they heard about briefly on Sunday. They took Jesus' resurrection into account in every part of their lives, including their finances.

Think about that fact—Jesus has risen, really risen, from the dead. God used His power to do this, and God will do it for us, too. If that is true—really, really true—then suddenly we don't have to be afraid, do we? The same God who raised Jesus from the dead can also supply all our needs, whether it's for food, housing, medical care, or anything else. We can turn to Him with every need, not just the invisible ones (like forgiveness of sins). We can drop our other safeguards, including money. And that sets us free to use money for better purposes—like loving the people around us.

Prayer: Lord, help me to live my daily life trusting in Your power and love, instead of money. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Kari Vo.
Republished from Luthern Hour Ministry

Reflection Questions:
1. How do you deal with the temptation to trust in money?
2. When has God used you to meet another person's needs?
3. Tell a story about a time when God provided for your needs.

Announcements
Ever wonder about the decorations of Solomon's Temple? Check out "A All the Way!" A Mini-Series by Suresh Manoharan. 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 28 May 2022, 6:51 pm

How easy it is to judge someone. I suspect the majority of us do not make these judgments on purpose. We do not seek to find things in someone else that we don't like. Maybe we don't even really think about whether or not the person in question is a "good" person.

Whether we are seeking to know something about someone or not, our subconscious minds are always on the alert, and they register what they see and hear. And no matter how hard we may try, the recordings of our subconscious minds influence our thinking. As a result, we often have a preconceived idea about who or what someone is before we even meet them.

I currently have my late mom's cat, Dundee. As I have previously written, Dundee and I don't have a great history. I've taken him to the vet and groomers too many times for him to trust me, and as a result, during his 13 years with my mom, I rarely saw him. And when I did, it was him cowering in some corner. I don't know how many times I said to my mom, "That cat of yours doesn't have any personality!" Her response was always the same: "That cat of mine has enough personality for two cats!" Nonetheless, I didn't believe it. Why? Because it wasn't in line with what my senses had registered.

Now that Dundee lives temporarily at my house, he and I have raised the white flag. He no longer sees me as the enemy. It has taken a couple months, but over time I have begun to see a totally different side of Dundee. And I will humbly admit that my judgment of him was wrong! He does, indeed, have enough personality for two cats!

For 12 years I've held this wrong concept of Dundee, all because of my own perception of him. Only now, when we are forced to get to know one another, do I see that I've been wrong. And conversely, it's only now, that we're forced to get to know one another, Dundee also sees that he was wrong in his judgment of ... me!

It makes me wonder how many of my other preconceived ideas about so many other people have also been 100% wrong? If I had only taken the time to get to know those people, would I have held them in such low esteem? Perhaps not! And of the many people who thought negative things about me ... Had they taken the time and effort to truly get to know ... me ... would they have also changed their perceptions of me?

The Bible teaches us: "Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly." (John 7:24 NLT) I would suggest that this is exactly what we need to do!

To take this a little farther, so many people also hold on to negative concepts of God. Some don't believe He exists; some don't believe He cares about His creation; some don't believe He cares about them personally. Are these people a bit like Dundee and I? Are they judging God simply because they've never made the effort to get to know Him?

I know that with Dundee, I did often try to get to know him a bit more. The problem was, he only saw me as someone who put him in a cage and carried him off somewhere. This mental image of Dundee stood in the way of our relationship.

I remember having a conversation once with someone who proclaimed atheism. He told me there had been a time in his life when he had truly sought God; but God wasn't to be found. I don't want to be judgmental, because I have no idea whatsoever what was going on in that person's life at the time he was seeking God. I wonder, however, if like Dundee, there was some mental image standing in the way -- maybe of a strict God who didn't want his creations to have fun, or of a God who lets people suffer... All I can say for sure is that God can be found for the Bible promises this: "Come close to God, and God will come close to you." (James 4:8a NLT). God wants a relationship with us!

Perhaps it is time for us to put away our preconceptions and truly seek God. Maybe it is time for us to follow the advice of 2 Chronicles 7:14: "...if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land." (NLT). If we would truly confess our concepts of God to Him, humble ourselves before Him and seek who He truly is, then God would reveal Himself to us as well. He would "hear from Heaven". He will dazzle us with His presence, He will cause us to fall so deeply in love with Him that all preconceived ideas are washed away!

What preconceived ideas are you holding on to? Are they about your mom's cat? Or more importantly, are they about someone else? Maybe even about ... God? It's time to let them go and truly seek to know the ones we have inadvertently been judging. We need to look beneath the surface. We need to humble ourselves and seek to know truly know them. Then be prepared to be amazed at the change in your perception!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two adult boys, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, The Illustrator, a four-times-a-week internet newsletter, and the Sermon Illustrator website, all with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcements
Just how does the Bible suggest that we manage argument?  Check out Managing Argument and discover some practical tips from the book of Job!  

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 26 May 2022, 10:52 pm

"So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God." (Mark 16:19 NKJV)

One of our daughters lives in the state of Michigan, USA, some 800 km from where we live. For many years, we went there twice a year, in the spring and in the autumn. Going there and coming back, we always went about halfway, stayed overnight, and then, completed our journey. One year, after our overnight stay, about halfway on the way home, we saw a large number of buggies driven by Old Order Mennonites who live in that area, and we wondered where they were all going on a weekday. Then, we came to a church with the parking area full of horses and buggies tethered to posts. The people were obviously in church. We wondered what they were doing there — a funeral, perhaps, or a wedding? Then it dawned on us: it was Thursday, Ascension Day. We were ashamed and felt bad because we had not thought of it at all. Such an important day in the Christian calendar, and we forgot it.

Even though the calendar in my office does not mention it, my diary says that Ascension Day is on May the 13th this year. It is a Christian holy day to which not much attention is given here in North America. Most calendars don't even make mention of it. However, in most of Europe, it is an actual holiday, a day off from work, and some churches still have worship services on that day. In many places, though, it has become just a long, long weekend, and the real reason for the holiday is observed by only a few. It is like so many Christian holy days now: just another day off.

There are quite a number of stories about Jesus and His followers after His crucifixion, burial, and resurrection. He was seen by many people in different locations and at different times. He explained to His disciples what His mission was all about, and He gave the Great Commission to go out and spread the good news, even to the ends of the earth. When the time came for Jesus to leave this earth and to return to His Father in heaven, He said:

"'And you are witnesses of these things. Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.' And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them. Now it came to pass, while He blessed them, that He was parted from them and carried up into heaven." (Luke 24:48-51 NKJV)

I am sure that they were not sad anymore, like they were when Jesus was buried in the tomb. They remembered His words and His deeds and the promise of the Holy Spirit, Who was to help them in their mandate to spread the gospel.

My wife and I were so upset that we did not remember that important event which happened so many years ago. We won't forget it this year. All you faithful readers, do remember. Please don't forget!

Prayer: Our Father in heaven, we thank You that Jesus came to earth, that He taught, healed, and comforted, and that He is with us now. We thank You in His holy name. Amen.

Joel Jongkind
Meaford, Ontario, Canada

Reprinted with author's permission from PresbyCan
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 24 May 2022, 9:49 pm

"While he (the lame beggar) clung to Peter and John, all the people, utterly astounded, ran together to them in the portico called Solomon's. And when Peter saw it he addressed the people: 'Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk? The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release Him. But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. And His Name—by faith in His Name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all. And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers. But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He thus fulfilled. Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets long ago.'" (Acts 3:11-21 ESV)

Can you imagine this scene?

The crowd, astonished at seeing the lame man's full recovery, pressed Peter for some answers. Peter obliges—with both barrels.

"Oh. My. TMI, Peter," the crowd mutters, recoiling from the apostle's point-blank remarks. "All we wanted to know was what had happened to him" (see Acts 3:10b).

Instead, Peter's history lesson, peppered with one-two punches, goes back to the time of Abraham. He tells the crowd how they delivered Jesus to the authorities, how they denied the "Holy and Righteous One," how they "killed the Author of life."

"Sorry, we asked," the crowd moaned, slinking back off Solomon's Portico where they were all gathered.

The truth hurts, but Peter had no intention of leaving them there, twisting in the wind for their sins of involvement. Instead, he says that though the guilty parties acted in ignorance, God's divine purposes were still accomplished. His ancient prophecies were fulfilled in Jesus' suffering and dying for their sin—and ours—and it was He "whom God raised from the dead."

And then Peter speaks of mercy, of recovery, even for those guilty of this—crucifying the Son of God. "Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord."

Though shell-shocked, here was relief at last for the crowd. At Peter's words, hopefully they perked up—at least those who stayed to hear the Good News.

Of course, we are guilty, too, aren't we—and in need of this same Good News? May God's Spirit move us to repentance and to receiving in faith the forgiveness won for us through Jesus' blood.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You for Jesus and for His servants who spoke the Word boldly. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Paul Schreiber.
Republished with permission from Lutheran Hour Ministries

Reflection Questions:

1. When was the last time you were given too much information about something?
2. What guaranty did Peter have that the crowd wasn't going to turn on him for what he said?
3. Are we complicit, two thousand years later, in the evils Peter lists the crowd as doing?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 22 May 2022, 3:01 pm

Fasting.

What is it about withholding from ourselves the food that we need to survive? Why is this in the Bible? What does it truly do for us?

Unfortunately, I don't have the complete answer to any of those questions. It's something that has puzzled me for years, and to be perfectly honest, it's not a concept I particularly like to think about. Fasting means not eating. Not eating means you're hungry. Crabby. Tired. It means blood sugars drop. But perhaps the most meaningful to me is that it means withholding something that I really enjoy!

Yes, I am ashamed to admit, I live to eat. I eat for comfort, when I'm stressed, to reward myself, to celebrate, you name it. I just enjoy food. Funny thing is, no matter how much I eat, I always crave more. So fasting means that I give up one of my greatest pleasures!

I was once thoroughly criticized by a dear brother from a different religion for the Christian concept of fasting. Since the Bible talks about fasting, why don't we do this regularly? Aren't religions that mandate how and when you fast better than Christianity?

It's true. The Bible doesn't mandate when or how we fast. It doesn't even mandate how long or how often. We know from Biblical figures that some fasted a day, some three days, some 40 days. Some undertook a total abstinence from food and water; others just from food; and others from "no rich foods". This latter is now known as "a Daniel fast" and is based on Daniel 10:2b: "All that time I had eaten no rich food. No meat or wine crossed my lips..." (NLT). We also know from this same passage that the concept of fasting doesn't only involve abstinence from food; for in the same verse, Daniel said, "and I used no fragrant lotions until those three weeks had passed." (vs. 2c NLT).

My take away on this is that fasting in the Bible simply means that we give up something that is meaningful to us, and we do it for as long as the Lord places it on our hearts to do so; or, as in the case with Daniel, until the desired result comes to be.

I find this method so much more flexible in fitting the need at hand than the structured, stringent rules applied to fasting by other world religions. For example, I recently did a desert fast for a problem at my son's church. I told God I would continue it until the problem was resolved. Another time I did a total food fast one day a week until the problem at hand was resolved. Other times I've done regular fasting once a week simply for the purpose of drawing closer to God.

But back to my original question: Just how does fasting draw us closer to God?

Again, I don't have a complete understanding of this, but I believe the answer is that fasting creates a scenario where God is better able to come near to us. Think about it:
* Giving up something you think you need is saying that the only thing you need is God.
* Giving up something relied upon for our health and good humour is saying that you trust God to fill in where the food does not.
* Giving up your stress management strategy is saying that God is our stress management, that we are completely dependent upon Him.

Because all three of these things bring us to the place where we need God and nothing else, God can move in closer to us, and we can move closer to Him.

I wonder, however, if there isn't something even more profound behind the concept of fasting... You see, when we acknowledge that we only need God; when we put our total trust in His ability to sustain us; when we allow God to manage our stress, aren't we, "humbling ourselves before Him"? Deuteronomy 30:7 tells us that humility is the key to all good things from the Lord: "Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land." (NLT). Both Peter and James tell us: "So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor." (1 Peter 5:6 NLT; see also James 4:10).

So then, when we humble ourselves, God hears us, He forgives our sins, He restores us, and He lifts us to honour!

Let's take another look at Daniel. We know that Daniel fasted regularly, and we know that each time he was visited by an angel, he had been fasting. Daniel knew that fasting led to humility, and he experienced first-hand the power of humility. I find it incredibly interesting, however, to see how the angel sent to Daniel spoke of Daniel's fasting-induced humility: "He said, 'Daniel, you who are highly esteemed...'" (Daniel 10:11a NIV). Remember that the angel was a messenger from God; therefore, this message can only mean one thing: God esteemed Daniel very highly! Why? Because of his humility!

No, I don't have all the answers in regards to fasting; but I do know one thing for certain: Fasting brings us into a position of total humility, resulting in complete submission and reliance upon God. It is in these conditions that God is able to: 1) hear from heaven; 2) forgive our sin; 3) restore what is lost; and 4) lift us up to honour!

If you don't make fasting a regular habit, why not try it today? Ask God what to withhold and for how long, and then set about doing it. You will be amazed at how near God begins to feel as we humble ourselves before Him in utter submission and reliance.

In His love,
Lyn 

Announcements
Do you find yourself far away from home?  Do you even know where home is?  Check out the mini-series, "Homeward Bound", by Elizabeth Price.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 19 May 2022, 5:05 pm

"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, 'Peace be with you.' When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. ... Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, 'We have seen the Lord.' But he said to them, 'Unless I see in His hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into His side, I will never believe.' Eight days later, His disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you.' Then He said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here, and see My hands; and put out your hand, and place it in My side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.' Thomas answered Him, 'My Lord and my God!' Jesus said to him, 'Have you believed because you have seen Me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.'" (John 20:19-20, 24-29 ESV)

One of the things that annoys me the most about God is how leisurely He is. When I'm in crisis, I want Him to drop everything and deal with me now. I'm scared, I'm hurting—I want help now, Lord! Not a week or a month or a year from now!

And yet, I can't say that God hasn't warned me about the way He is. Take a look at the story of Thomas. On the day of Jesus' resurrection, he misses his chance to see Him. Thomas gets back from wherever he went, and the first thing everybody tells him is "Jesus is alive! We saw Him, it's really true!"

Now Thomas is in crisis. Everybody around him is excited and happy, and Thomas just can't make himself believe what they're saying. He's still in a Good Friday mood. And he loses his temper. "Not unless I stick my finger in the nail-holes," he says. He's probably afraid as well. Have all his friends lost their minds?

It would be so easy for Jesus to just pop back for a moment and reassure Thomas. But no. He leaves Thomas dangling in the wind of doubt for eight days. It must have felt like a lifetime.

Why do this? Why leave me worrying for months or years about a work or family problem? Why leave people I love in pain, in grief, in fear?

As usual, Jesus doesn't explain Himself. But He does eventually come back—and Thomas is rescued from his plight. Jesus comes to us as well—not on our schedule, but on God's. He will not leave us forever. And during the waiting, He will give us the Holy Spirit's help. That time of suffering is not wasted, though we may not see the value of it till much later.

So what do we do now, while we suffer? We complain, cry out, pray, beg for mercy—okay, that's normal and completely to be expected. But we also trust in the Lord who saved us—because Jesus' love and faithfulness is engraved on His very body. His hands and feet carry the marks of His love for us forever.

Prayer: Lord, help me to bear it when it feels like You're far away or not listening. In Your Name. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Kari Vo.
Republished from Lutheran Hour Ministries

Reflection Questions:
1. When have you felt like God was absent?
2. What do you do at times like these?
3. How do you hang on to your faith in Jesus during hard times?

Announcements
If you enjoy The Nugget, encourage someone to subscribe. We also encourage you to share The Nuggets with others as well, as long as you do so without charging, and as long as you credit Scriptural Nuggets as your source.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 17 May 2022, 8:36 pm

In his first letter to the "Pilgrims of the Dispersion", the apostle Peter gives all kinds of advice to young and old alike, and then he tells them:

"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7 NKJV)

These verses remind me of a story that I read some time ago about a vendor on his way to market in a nearby town, in the days when people walked long distances to get from one place to another. The wares that the man was hoping to sell were packed in a big bag which he had strapped onto his back. As he was walking along carrying this heavy load, he was overtaken by a farmer riding an empty horse-drawn wagon. The farmer stopped and invited the weary vendor to get onto the wagon and he would give him a ride into the town. He happily accepted and climbed on. After some time, the farmer turned around and was surprised to see that the man still had the heavy load strapped to his back. Apparently, he had not thought about shedding this heavy load.

The writer of Psalm 55 was also carrying a heavy load. A trusted friend had betrayed him and set his face against him. Because he was a good friend, he had not expected this betrayal, and as a result, his emotional guard was down. He then came to the conclusion that regardless of the state of his mind or the way that he was feeling about things, he could shed his heavy load:

"Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you." (Psalm 55:22a NKJV)

I would suggest that there is a good possibility — more than we would probably like to admit — that we are quite often like the man with the load. We are burdened down by the cares of this world, like concerns about our children and/or grandchildren, or the condition of our health, or the state of the economy, our country, or our church. During these days of isolation and uncertainty, we may all experience this to some extent.

But it does not matter what the cause of our cares and anxiety is. God calls us to cast our cares upon Him and thus shed our heavy load. He will take care of us.

Prayer: Our Father in heaven, there are so many times when we are burdened down by our daily worries. We pray, Lord, that when we bring them to You in prayer, we will be able to truly shed them and be assured in our minds and souls that You are with us. We ask it in Jesus' name. Amen.

Joel Jongkind
Meaford, Ontario, Canada

Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission

Announcements
Do you ever wonder about the tabernacle that Moses built in the wilderness?  The books of Exodus and Leviticus spend many chapters describing its construction, but does it hold any relevance for us today?  Please check out: Wilderness Instructions, a mini-series inspired by the tabernacle in the wilderness!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 14 May 2022, 10:44 pm

THE NUGGET
Today
By: Lyn Chaffart
--------------------------------
May 14, 2022

That is today's date, and it is a special day.

What is so special about today?
-- May 14 was the date of Mother's day back in 1961.
-- May 14 is my older brother's birthday.
-- May 14 is the birthday of the special kitten we purchased for my husband 12 years ago.
-- May 14 is the birthday of countless others out there.

But then, if you think about it, There are many different dates in May that can be Mother's Day, and every day of the year is the birthday to countless special people (and animals!) out there! What then is so special about today?

Today is special because, "This is the day the Lord has made." (Ps. 118:24a NLT).

Have you ever stopped to think about that? No matter what the day of the week, the month or the year, whatever day is "today" is special, because it is "the day the Lord has made"!

Okay then, who cares if this is the day the Lord has made? Hasn't He made every day? Aren't they all special?

Yes. And that is exactly the point. Today is special!

So what do we do with today, since it is so special?

I only gave the first half of Ps. 118:24 above. Let's take a look at the entire verse: "This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it" (Ps. 118:24 NLT)!

Notice that the verse doesn't specify which day of the week this is, or month or year. It doesn't even specify that the day is problem free. It simply says, "This is the day". What this tells us, then, is that no matter what day it is, no matter how many problems surround you, no matter how bleak things may seem, God has made this day, and He has commanded us to rejoice and be glad in it!

But how can we possibly rejoice with all the trouble going on around us? How can we be "glad"? Is God asking us to do something that is impossible?

Not at all. God would never require us to do anything that He isn't prepared to carry us through. Our job is simply one of surrender! Check out this familiar text: "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." (Matt. 11:28 NLT). Notice that Jesus doesn't specify any particular time, He simply says that if we are weary and carry heavy burdens, we must, "Come to me..."

And what about the "rest" promised in that last part, "I will give you rest." Interestingly, the book of Hebrews looks at this concept of rest in more depth. But what is even more interesting is that in this same passage, God puts this in the context of "today"... May 14, yes, and every day! Check it out: "So God set another time for entering his rest, and that time is today. God announced this through David much later in the words already quoted: 'Today when you hear his voice, don’t harden your hearts.'" (Hebrews 4:7 NLT).

The reference in Hebrews speaks of the Children of Israel entering into Canaan, their "rest". But once in Canaan, the people didn't have rest from their labours, did they? They had to fight for the land the Lord was giving them. Hebrews 4 continues on: "Now if Joshua had succeeded in giving them this rest, God would not have spoken about another day of rest still to come. So there is a special rest still waiting for the people of God." (Hebrews 4:9 NLT)

Just what is that special rest? Let's go back to Matthew 11:28: "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." (Matt. 11:28 NLT). Therefore, Jesus is the "rest" that is promised to God's people. He is the "rest" spoken of in Hebrews 4. And when we follow God's command, today, when we hear His voice, when we come to Jesus with our burdens, He WILL give us rest: "For all who have entered into God’s rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world." (Hebrews 4:10 NLT)

What's on your plate today, my friend? Does the concept of rest seem elusive, slippery, unrealistic, perhaps for someone besides you? Remember: Today is the day the Lord has made When we come to Him and give our burdens to Him, we will enter the promised rest. We will be able to "rejoice and be glad in it". Let's determine today, May 14, to, "...do our best to enter that rest." (Hebrews 4:11a NLT).

And if you are reading this tomorrow, May 15, or perhaps next month, June 14, or whatever day you are reading it, remember: "This is the day..." So "rejoice and be glad in it", for whatever the date on the calendar, today is the day to come to Jesus, give Him our burdens, and receive our rest!

May I suggest a tiny exercise? Take a piece of paper and write down everything that burdens you at this moment. Then roll it up, place it on the palm of your hand, and in a moment of prayer, surrender it to God. Physically hand it over, then take that piece of paper and tear it in little tiny bits and burn it. You no longer need a ledger of your problems. You've given them to God!

Don't wait! Do it ... Today!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart

Announcements
The ultimate in prayers, changeless throughout history, powerful in simplicity: The Lord's Prayer. Please click here.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 27 Apr 2022, 4:06 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about "How To Die", so I thought that I should also write about "How To Live".

My first suggestion on how to live is to do everything that we can to communicate with others, even when we are told that we must physically distance. Recently, I have telephoned people that I have been prevented from seeing, and I have been pleasantly surprised to hear how that simple call has been helpful. Recently, a friend told me that he had periodically wondered what it would be like to be a prisoner, but that because of the current pandemic, now he knows. We are built to interact with others.

Secondly, I believe that we can live much better if we take a positive view of everything that happens.

In 1970, I was transferred from Toronto, Ontario, to Bromont in the eastern townships of Quebec.

The winter of 1970/71 was one of the snowiest ever. When the snow came and came and came, it was increasingly difficult to move. During twelve days that winter, the snowplows couldn't even open the roads.

Many residents of Montreal enjoyed skiing on Mount Bromont. They were upset and frustrated by the blocked roads. Our children, however, were delighted that schools were closed and that they had the ski lifts almost to themselves.

Near the third tee of the hilly golf course, we had built a house that looked out to the ninth green located at the base of the ski slopes. The roof sloped down from the side facing the ski slopes to our garage. The snow was so deep that we could go up to the top of the roof and toboggan all the way down.

In February 1971, a famous motivational speaker from the southern United States came to visit us. His driver got stuck in the snow near our house but after they were extricated from the deep snow, our children took the speaker to the top of our house with its breathtaking view. Following an exciting slide down from the rooftop on a toboggan, I can still hear him saying, "This is livin'! This is livin'!"

Rather than complaining about the inconvenience of the difficult drive from the Montreal airport, Lee revelled in the marvellous benefits of more snow than he had ever seen.

Thirdly, and most importantly, we should follow the directions given by Jesus if we truly want to live.

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" (John 14:6 NIV)

"Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?'" (John 11:25-26 NIV)

And Paul reinforced this principle in his letter to the church at Philippi: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21 NIV)

Prayer: Dear Father, as we consider how to live, may we reach out to others, particularly in this time of enforced isolation. Help us to see everything in a positive way. But most importantly, may we realize that true life comes only through belief in our Lord and Saviour. In His name, we pray. Amen.

Vincent Walter
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Reprinted from PresbyCan with Author's permission.

Announcements
Submit your prayer requests to us in one of three ways: 
- Via Email -- Send requests here
- Via What'sApp -- Send requests to +91 98696 68137 
- Via Facebook: Visit our Facebook members page, send a private message to Answer to all Prayers; or if you wish your prayer request to be published on the main answers2prayer facebook wall, click here and post your prayer request!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:46 pm

So a Fool Repeats His Foolishness...
By: Lyn Chaffart
------------------------------------
April 23, 2022

A few weeks before this was written, my grandpuppy, Charlie, had a stubborn parasitic infection that wouldn't go away. We were all concerned since young pups dehydrate so quickly, and the subject of texts from our son and daughter-in-law were often in regards to his intestinal well-being.

At one point, our son told us that Charlie had lost his supper, that that he had then gone right back and eaten it. Okay. A bit graphic, don't you think? Maybe too much information? Yet, having had dogs most of my life, I know that this is very normal behaviour for a dog, and besides, even the Bible refers to this behaviour in dogs: "As a dog returns to its vomit.." (Prov. 26:11a NLT). I'll admit I couldn't remember the rest of the text, and I didn't bother looking it up. In fact, I put the entire incident out of my mind, for with the proper puppy medication, the texts with our kids once again took on more normal topics of conversation.

Imagine my surprise, however, when the verse was once again brought to my mind this morning...

Facing major surgery at the end of the week, along with difficulties accepting the potential outcomes of the surgery, I had been struggling with depression. As I sat down to have my worship that morning, I could hear God calling me to give it all to Him. Easier said then done, especially when you don't really fully appreciate just what is causing the depression to creep in. God, in His goodness, soon revealed to me that I was fearing the potential outcomes of the surgery. In addition, I was worried about all that needed to be accomplished before surgery day; AND I was concerned about the actual anaesthesia process. God reminded me then of the train ride He had brought me on when I dealt with breast cancer in 2012. He reminded me that all I needed to do was to give all my "luggage" (all my worries) to Him, and then sit back and enjoy the ride. He reminded me of the many blessings that He orchestrated for me throughout that process, and then He reminded me that He hadn't changed!

I understood. I gave the whole surgery business to Him and accepted His peace instead.

When I opened my Bible a few minutes later, to the place in Proverbs where I had left off reading the day before, this verse jumped out at me: "As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his foolishness." (Proverbs 26:11 NLT). I smiled at the memory of my son's latest good health report for Charlie and whispered a "thank You" to God for healing the puppy. I then prepared to move on to the next verse. After all, the puppy wasn't sick anymore, and why would God be talking to me about being foolish? When had I ever returned to my foolishness?

You can imagine what God had to say to me after that last thought went through my mind... When had I ever returned to my foolishness? Why had I NOT returned to my foolishness would have been more like it!

It caught my attention, and I knew God had something more to say to me about this verse. "What is it, Lord?" I whispered. And then I knew: When I let the worry creep in that morning about my upcoming surgery, I was, in effect, like a fool who repeats his foolishness! Didn't I know better than to worry? Hadn't God and I already walked this road many times in the past? Hadn't I learned through cancer that I didn't need to worry about the "what ifs" and the "but thens"? Hadn't God been teaching me through the months and years about the futility of worrying about something that hadn't yet happened and might not even happen? Yes, I was being that "fool" in Proverbs 26 who was "repeating his foolishness"! I was no better than my grandpuppy...

I repented then and there, and I asked God to remind me of this verse the next time the depression came knocking. Unfortunately, I must have then forgotten about the whole incident, because an hour later, guess what was knocking at the door of my spirit? Yup, you guess it! Depression! And anyone care to guess what it was rooted in? Yup! Worry about that surgery! This time, however, God immediately placed Proverbs 26:11 on my heart: "As a dog returns to its vomit..." Images of little Charlie licking the floor immediately flooded my mind. No! I wasn't going to be that fool who repeated his or her foolishness! Not this time! And by the power of the Lord and the merits of His blood that I immediately claimed, the depression had to flee! I then gave, once again, all the aspects about the surgery to Him. I put it all on His train, and then I transferred myself to the most comfortable seat in God's First Class wagon and settled in for the ride.

Anyone surprised to realize that I've had joy in my heart ever since? That when surgery day came, everything went well? I wasn't even tired afterwards and my stomach wasn't even upset?

What is your "pet" worry, the one you keep returning to? Is it worry over finances, even though God has always gotten you through? Is it worry about upcoming health procedures, even though you've experienced God's provision through health issues before? Is it worry about relationships, even though God is the master relationship builder? Is it something -- anything -- else? Whatever it is, don't be like Charlie. Don't be that fool who repeats his foolishness. Give it to the Lord, then make yourself comfortable for the ride of your life!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Moderator, Associate director, Answers2Prayer Ministries

Announcements
In one more day, our beloved brothers and sisters in Christ in Australia and New Zealand will be celebrating ANZAC Day in honor of all who suffered and gave up their lives in wars, conflicts and peace keeping operations.

As a special note from Australian Nugget writer, Elizabeth Price, we would like to present you with the following commemoration. We pray it will be a blessing to everyone around the world, especially in our current days of conflict:

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 Anzak_10
ANZAC DAY 2022

By: Elizabeth Price  

Today we remember the ANZACS and those who died in war to uphold the Biblical truths of Christianity.  Without Christian beliefs the whole world would be overrun by atheism with all its cruelties.

Christ said ‘… And behold I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.’ (Rev. 22:12 KJV)

Now we have reached the point where every person in the world needs to make up their minds whether they believe the Bible truths or not.  Christ is coming but he is not coming to land on this earth; He is coming to gather his people, to resurrect the dead who believed in Christ, and to take them home to their Father in heaven.

Christ is bringing a reward to everyone so he has to know every mind.  This also means that the time is coming when we cannot change our minds.  The reason is given in verse 14 of the final chapter of the Bible:  ‘Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates of the city.’ (Rev. 22:14 KJV)  He also says ‘… and behold I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.’ (Rev. 22:12 KJV)

They have made up their minds that they want to live eternally as the Lord chooses and consequently, when the Lord comes to gather his people and take them home, he knows their minds before he arrives.  Our Saviour cannot bring presents to those who have not made up their minds that they want to live the life he offers.  Also it means just as surely that there are people who do not want to live as the Lord and Saviour choose.  They also will get their reward because he will give to ‘every man according as his work shall be.’ (Rev. 22:12b KJV See also 1 Thessalonians 4:16,17). 

I also believe there will be many people taken to heaven who have never heard the name of Christ but have lived his principles and so they also will be included with those who, by the grace of God, have opportunity to read the Bible. 

So now, as Jesus said, go quietly into your room to pray, so let us pray quietly together, ‘Our Father which is in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come.  Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.  For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.  Amen.’ (Matt. 6:9-13 KJV

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS

'And God spake all these words, saying, I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

1.  Thou shat have no other gods before me.

2.   Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above , or in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:  for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3.   Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4.   Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God:  in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor the stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day:  wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.

5.   Honour thy father and thy mother; that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. 

6.   Thou shalt not kill.

7.   Thou shalt not commit adultery. 

8.   Thou shalt not steal.

9.   Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. 

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, not his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

(The commandments are found in Exodus 20:3 to 17 and referred to in Revelation 22:11 to 14.)   I believe there will be many people taken to heaven who have never heard the name of Christ but have lived his principles and they will be included with those of us who do have opportunity to read the Bible.)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 21 Apr 2022, 8:25 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 11030713

"I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."  (Romans 8:18-25 ESV)

We are living through a season of resurrection and hope – that word hope is used as an acronym for Heal our Planet Earth… and hope is what we cling to in these dark days of war and destruction, global warming and environmental degradation.

I don't for a moment want to dissipate the darkness and the dilemma or the despair many feel at the state of the world… but I want there to be rays of hope to hold on to – HOPE (H = Heal; O = our; P = Planet; E = Earth). Paul reminds us that what we wait for is a brave new world, a redeemed world, a saved world, a restored world, a world that waits with hope, a hope that is healing instead of decaying. Paul said that creation itself waits with eager longing, waits on the highest hill and in the deepest depths for "the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope."

Earth Day 2022… resurrection and hope, signs of new life!

God so loved the world – every stick and stone, every bird and beast, every hill and valley, every ocean and tropical forest, every glacier and glade, every microbe and monkey, every man, woman and child – that he gave his only son…

Let us remember that on the day of resurrection – the first Easter – Mary did not mistake Christ for a soldier, a scientist or even a rabbi, but rather a gardener.

Prayer: God, You love the earth You made, the sea and the sky, the animals and the trees, the birds and the bees. You even love the ground under our feet. We thank You for making so many bright and beautiful things—including all of us. You made us all for a purpose. Today help us think about why we're here in the middle of this bright and beautiful world. We join our voices with the wind and the waves, the geese and the gophers to praise Your holy name. Amen! (Rev. Nancy Cocks in "God's Good Old Earth")

Kenn Stright

Announcements
Why not celebrate Earth Day by taking some time to meditate on God’s creation? Let it infuse you with hope in this hopeless world!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 19 Apr 2022, 9:49 pm

Wipe Out!  This was a song popular in ancient times, the 60’s!  The single hit the charts in 1963 and was by the Surfaris.  It was an instrumental with an occasional shrill voice saying “Wipe Out”!  

I think we are all subject to spiritual wipe out.  Some might call it spiritual burn out but it requires a spiritual restoration.  In the bible, one of the best stories of restoration is Elijah under the broom tree.  

"Elijah was afraid and fled for his life. He went to Beersheba, a town in Judah, and he left his servant there. Then he went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die. 'I have had enough, Lord,' he said. 'Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors who have already died.' Then he lay down and slept under the broom tree. But as he was sleeping, an angel touched him and told him, 'Get up and eat!' He looked around and there beside his head was some bread baked on hot stones and a jar of water! So he ate and drank and lay down again. Then the angel of the Lord came again and touched him and said, 'Get up and eat some more or the journey ahead will be too much for you.'” (1 Kings 19:3‭-‬7 NLT)
‬‬‬
How many of you are burdened by cares that are weighing you down?  How many have fought the good fight for a long time, but now you are in need of restoration?  Elijah was no different.  He had been God’s man in a battle against sin and had brought glory to God.  He had been brave and courageous fighting evil with God’s help but afterward found himself frightened and fleeing for his life at the threat from Jezabel the queen.  

Our passage picks up as he runs alone into the wilderness as a beaten and exhausted man.  In 1 Kings we are told that he even prayed to die.  “I have had enough, Lord,” he said.   I can almost feel the prophet’s weariness, can’t you? 

Today in this upside-down world I have found myself saying, “That’s it I have heard enough, seen enough and like Elijah, I’m searching for that broom tree to fall under.  Precious “caretakers” have you exhausted your physical, emotional, and spiritual energy?  Does the broom tree look appealing to you?  Has financial upheaval taken your last ounce of strength?  Are you empty, tired, and spent?  Have you had enough?  Are you wiped out from the burdens you carry?  Like Elijah of old, let the Lord nourish your body and soul.  Taste of his goodness in his word, drink from the cup of his grace. 

I love what the angel of the Lord said to him after he had slept, “Get up and eat some more or the journey ahead will be too much for you”.  Can you feel the shade from the broom tree as you rest?  Lay back and be restored or the journey ahead will be too much for you.   From “Wipe Out” to Restoration as we rest under "God’s broom tree."

Jeanie Nihiser

Announcements
Need help? Let us come along side you in prayer. Email us; or send a message via What'sApp to +91 98696 68137.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 16 Apr 2022, 1:01 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 5 Tornve10
"And Jesus uttered a loud cry and breathed His last. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom." (Mark 15:37-38 ESV)

Curtains are for hiding things. They cover up windows when we don't want people to look in, or block hospital beds when people are being treated. God Himself had the Israelites hang a curtain between the main part of the temple and the Holiest Place, the spot where God Himself was present in a special way to care for His people, Israel.

We have learned to respect curtains—to stay out unless invited. Only one man was invited behind God's curtain, and only once a year for a single job—to make atonement with the blood of a pure sacrifice for the sins of God's people. The rest of the time, to enter was death. Stay away—God is holy, and we are not—that was the message of the temple curtain.

What must they have thought, those priests on duty, when they saw the curtain torn in two?

They could not know that, just at that moment, God's own Son had breathed His last—had allowed His own body to be torn and broken for us on the cross, as the perfect, pure sacrifice that would bring us back to God. The way to God was open now—not just for a single man, not just for priests, but for everyone. In Jesus, we are now welcome.

Jesus opened up the way. As the writer of Hebrews said, "We have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that He opened for us through the curtain, that is, through His flesh" (Hebrews 10:19b-20). The separation is gone. We can approach the Holy God—because He has approached us first, in Jesus Christ our Savior.

Prayer: Draw me near to You, Holy Father, through Your Son Jesus Christ. Amen.

Reflection Questions:

* What curtain do you remember most vividly, and why?
* Are you ever nervous about approaching God?
* Does it help to remember that Jesus is always at your side?

Lenten Devotions were written by Dr. Kari Vo.
Reprinted from Lutheran Hour Ministries

Announcements
John the Baptist said, "The time has come...The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!" (Mark 1:15). But what exactly is the Kingdom of God? Check out "Basics of Basileia", a four-part mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan designed to help us have a better understand of God's Kingdom!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 14 Apr 2022, 11:02 pm

This easter season, we will be looking at some snapshots of Jesus' life during the week that led up to the cross:  

"And they compelled a passerby, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to carry His cross. And they brought Him to the place called Golgotha (which means Place of a Skull)." (Mark 15:21-22 ESV)

Simon must have felt like the unluckiest man in all Jerusalem that day. There he was, minding his own business, on his way into the city during the Passover holiday. The next thing he knew, he was caught up in someone else's execution parade, carrying the man's cross, bound for Golgotha.

How horrifying! How embarrassing! Why, anybody might see him, Simon, carrying that cross. They would probably assume that he himself was the criminal. And there was no way of getting out of it—getting the Romans angry at you was never a good idea. How Simon must have squirmed!

It looked like bad luck—but it wasn't luck at all that brought Jesus to that place, stumbling toward Golgotha and the cross that would soon carry Him. Jesus was no passerby, and His cross was borrowed—from us. Jesus was stumbling toward Golgotha by His own free will and intent, carrying out God's plan to rescue all of us from sin and the power of the devil.

Chances are good Simon became a Christian later on. Mark mentions his sons' names, which suggests they were known in the church. If so, Simon would have realized the great honor that fell to him that day—to carry Jesus' cross, while Jesus Himself carried all our sins and brokenness away from us forever. And in their place, Jesus gives us His joyful, innocent, everlasting life—the gift of His resurrection.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for carrying me and setting me free. Amen.

Reflection Questions:

* What is the heaviest thing you have ever carried?
* Have you ever had "bad luck" which turned out to be a great blessing?
* Why do you think God allowed Jesus to have this moment of weakness, which Simon helped Him with?

Announcements
The eight publications that will be appearing in this holy week, leading up to Easter, are part of a much larger series written by Kari Vo and published in 2021 in the Lutheran Hour Ministries. To access the entire, thought-provoking series, please click here. 

Jesus' sacrifice is truly the ultimate in love. If you wish to know such powerful, all-encompassing love personally, why not give your heart to Jesus today? You can do so in one of three ways:
1. You can view our Salvation video;
2. You can visit our Savior's Call webpage, available in 10 different languages;
3. Or you can email us, or contact us via What’sApp at +1 (473) 417-8412, and we'll be happy to help you accept Jesus into your heart!

Don't hesitate! It's the best decision you'll ever make, one with eternal consequences!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 12 Apr 2022, 10:54 pm

This easter season, we will be looking at some snapshots of Jesus' life during the week that led up to the cross:  

"And as Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came ... and said, 'You also were with the Nazarene, Jesus.' But he denied it ... And he went out into the gateway and the rooster crowed. And the servant girl saw him and [said], 'This man is one of them.' But again he denied it. And after a little while the bystanders again said to Peter, 'Certainly you are one of them, for you are a Galilean.' But he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, 'I do not know this Man of whom you speak.' And immediately the rooster crowed a second time. And Peter remembered how Jesus had said to him, 'Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times.' And he broke down and wept." (Mark 14:66, 67b, 68, 69-72 ESV)

Peter had power on his mind that night. The power of the guards to recognize him and arrest him. The power of the council to take away his life—just as they were in the process of doing for Jesus. No wonder Peter hid in the shadows!

But he didn't consider the small, powerless things—the servant girls, the rooster. He forgot all about them—until they turned his world upside down. And Peter forgot all about the guards and the council, as he broke down weeping. All he could think of was Jesus.

It seems to me that God likes to do that—likes to use the small, weak things to turn our lives around. After all, it is God's power working through weakness that saves us. A newborn baby, lying in a manger—a flogged, naked Man, nailed to a cross—the resurrected Lord who looked so ordinary that Mary mistook Him for a gardener. As Paul said, "We preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, ... Christ the power of God ... for the weakness of God is stronger than men" (1 Corinthians 1:23-25 ESV).

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for saving me through Your powerful weakness. Amen.

Reflection Questions:

* Tell about something weak that was unexpectedly powerful for you.
* Do you consider yourself weak or powerful?
* How has God used you to care for other people?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next