World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 33 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 33 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Israel War UPDATE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyToday at 12:25 am by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyToday at 12:08 am by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 11:23 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 11:19 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Admin

» SOROS Funds pro-terroist groups support of Hamas
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 10:57 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 10:31 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 10:13 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 10:00 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 7:57 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:29 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 9:19 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 6:38 pm by Admin

»  Biden again-China could start WW3
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:54 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:22 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:10 pm by Admin

» The wonder Prophet of the OT
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm by Admin

» Barry Segal @ VFI News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024, 11:15 pm by Admin

» Jews of Egypt
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024, 9:46 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Thu 17 Dec 2020, 11:58 pm

"The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7 ESV)

The time before Christmas is a period of great stress for many young adults who attend colleges and universities. After several months of study, they have arrived at their final exams. Often there is much at stake. For many students, the direction of their future depends on those final marks.

Over the years, I have prayed many times for the Lord's blessing over my children who were in that situation. This year, I was prompted to write down a more specific prayer outline, as once more, I was witness to these stresses. I wrote the words "peace", "insight", and "endurance" in my prayer booklet: "peace", knowing that He will care for them during the exam; "insight", mental clarity and emotional stability; and "endurance", sustained and intense energy. I realized that "peace", "insight", and "endurance" all work together during the entire exam, but the peace of God is the driving force. Without the inner strength that this peace provides, not only exams, but any major tasks, become insurmountable.

Indeed, we all need the Prince of Peace, Whose birth we celebrate at Christmas. To be sure, this Prince is capable of much more than sustaining us during an exam. We need Him foremost to reconcile us to our God. As a result of our sinful nature, we are initially unable to dedicate our lives to His service, being inclined to serve ourselves. But the Lord sent His Son Who paid with His life for the capital offenses that we committed, restoring peace between us and heaven.

During this often hectic Christmas season, let us receive the peace of the Lord as a constant source of strength and comfort. Even though it surpasses our understanding, it can energize us. To our great surprise, we realize that the Spirit is placing wisdom in our hearts. We want to follow the Prince of Peace. We feel empowered to take on whatever task the Lord has prepared for us. Throughout the year, this could be looking after a family, or managing a store, or delivering newspapers, or attending a school, or coping with a terminal illness. In all situations of our life, the peace of God will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus, our faithful Saviour.

While on earth, we will encounter stressful situations. We will receive difficult assignments: poverty, bereavement, persecution. But at the end of our lives, we will enter the courts of the Prince of Peace. Having received Him, there is no entrance exam. Our failures will have been erased, and our misunderstandings will have been cleared up. It is beyond understanding -- but true.

Prayer: Dear Father in heaven, we thank You for having prepared the entrance of the Prince of Peace into our dark world. We thank You that in Him, we are reconciled with You. We ask You to continue to surround us with Your peace, to fill our hearts and minds with wisdom, and to help us endure till the end. In the name of Christ Jesus, we offer this prayer. Amen.

Jane deGlint
Langley, British Columbia, Canada

Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission

Announcements
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise,
trouble or hard work.
It means to be in the midst of those things
and still be calm in your heart.

~ Author Unknown ~

Looking for Jesus Peace for Christmas? It all starts by giving your heart to Jesus Christ and accepting His Christmas gift to you. To do so, please click here! http://www.answers2prayer.org/saviours_call.html

Subscribe Other Devotionals Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Answers2Prayer, All rights reserved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 19 Nov 2020, 4:38 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 Bible211

"Be humble and gentle in your conversation; and of few words, I charge you; but always pertinent when you speak." (William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania).

It is very easy to squeeze the toothpaste from a tube but impossible to put it back. The same can be said for words, so easily spoken but they can be devastating in their effect and once said, cannot be withdrawn. Words. Do we fully understand their power? Can any of us really grasp the mighty force behind the things we say? Do we stop and think before we speak, considering the potency of the phrases we utter?

Over the centuries there have been many great men and women gifted with words. Famous poets and storytellers, leaders like Sir Winston Churchill who inspired a nation at its darkest hour; generals who have led their armies into battle and changed defeat into victory. These are the words that history has recorded, but is the world now deaf to the words of God? Are the troubles that the world is now facing caused by a failure to heed the words of God? The Book of Exodus, chapter 20, verses 1 to 21 is a summary and climax of God's covenant with his people and sets out basic ethical standards applicable to mankind in all ages, not just in biblical times.

The first four commandments concern our relationship to God, the remaining six our relationship with one another. They show God's concern for whole of life. He sets out standards governing family relationships, regard for human life, sex, property, speech and thought. God made us: He alone can show us how we are designed to behave. Jesus reminds us of this, the greatest commandment, when answering one of the Pharisees (Matthew 22:34-40) by giving a two-clause summary of the law.

The Book of Proverbs is concerned with words and instruction. It applies the principles of God's teaching to the whole of life, to relationships, home, work, justice, decisions, attitudes, reactions, everything to do and think, and particularly what we say. Proverbs places tremendous stress on the power of words and speech, for good and for ill. What we say, and how we react to what others say - advice, or rebuke, or gossip, or tempting suggestions - betrays what we are (See Matthew 12:34-37). The tongue is an incalculable force: it takes a wise person to master it. "Words--so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become, in the hands of one who knows how to combine them!" (Nathaniel Hawthorne 1804–1864).

So what have we learned from the word of God? Firstly, we must familiarise ourselves with God's word, it is God's teaching on how we should behave. Second, we must be careful how we use words - to uplift, not discourage; to praise not criticize; to be careful of our language; to avoid gossip, and to tell the truth, for God is the silent listener to every conversation. Important advice for this next new year of 2020.

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be" (James 3:9,10 BSB).

Have a good week,
Pastor Ron

This is one of a series of weekly messages of encouragement, now in its twenty-fif th year, originating from Gympie, Fraser Coast, Queensland, Australia. A companion Bible study page is available each week. To subscribe via email send to w4w2@bigpond.com with the words 'Subscribe Word (or) Subscribe Word & Study'. Our ministry is free and emailing lists are confidential. Tell a friend or why not put a note in your church newsletter or pew sheet about this ministry - we welcome new subscriptions.

Pastor Ron Clarke OAM
Word for the Week
Mbl.: +61 488 424 321

Announcements
Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Check out the mini-series, "Of Elect and Select"!

In His love,
Lyn Chaffart

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 17 Nov 2020, 11:48 pm

Did anyone tell you there's no right or wrong way to pray? They're correct. But there is a wrong sense of conviction as we pray. When we ask God for blessings, we often use a mousy attitude. We request limited blessings. And imagine only what our human mind can hold.

But when we change the way we pray, the results are different. Putting pride aside, our prayers need to be bold, sure, and expectant.

I tried that. Recently, in my prayer time, I asked the Lord to grant me favor on this particular day. Not sure what that favor would be, I didn't focus on the specific blessing. Instead, I asked, with an expectant spirit and an anticipating heart.

Later that day, my mom and I stopped at a Christian bookstore. We walked in and the woman behind the counter recognized me. And in an angelic voice said, "A group in my church is doing the Bible study in your book."

My book? Among all those popular books by world-known authors, her church chose my book? I did a cartwheel in my head and thanked God for that sweet encouragement.

You may not be looking for your books to be read. But instead, you need huge solutions. No matter what the request, here are three steps to pray more effectively.

No. 1: We discard doubt and express the authority we have in Jesus.
The words can be few, but the faith has to be deep. John and Peter show us the simplicity of a powerful prayer. They encountered a man crippled from birth who begged for money.

"Then Peter said, 'Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.' Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk" (Acts 3:6-8 NIV).

No. 2: Never stop declaring what God will do.
Persistence and perseverance are the vehicle to answers. Keep on knocking, expectantly and the door will open.

The reason we never stop is because God said, "You don't have because you do not ask God" (James 4:2b NIV)

No. 3: Expect the best God has for you.
Be prepared for a greater answer. And declare in advance praises for what God has prepared, thanking Him in advance for the gifts He has stored in the warehouse of His love. He's willing, ready and longing to make the delivery according to His schedule.

Here's His promise: "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:7-11 NIV).

God, who created the universes and who knit us together in our mother's womb (See Psalms 139), knows what we need. He's aware of we lack. He observes our desires and knows what we desire at this moment. He knows what your heart longs for as you read these lines. And He sees the tears that wet your pillow.

That's why He repeats His promise, "When the time is right, I, the Lord, will make it happen" (Isaiah 60:22 NIV).

And as He prepares His answer, He's curling His finger calling you to step into His will as you place your prayers before Him, with certainty of His answer and sure of His timing.

Let's Pray: Father, thank you for the boldness you gave me to come before You and express my requests. With patience I will wait and with hope I will praise you. In Jesus name.

What changes do you need to make as you pray?

Janet P. Eckles

Announcements

Let us come beside you in prayer! Submit your prayer requests here, or via What'sApp: +91 98696 68137! 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 15 Nov 2020, 1:26 am

am learning that every part of landscaping, from the borders to the dirt to the mulch to the plants themselves, is an incredibly expensive hobby. As a result of my recent education on the subject, the yard of my new house, the same one I had dreamed of landscaping, continues to be roughly in the same condition it was when we moved in.

I've been watching the local classifieds on the internet, and imagine my delight to find a couple of advertisements for border stones...for free! We'll just say that picking up those stones became a very high priority.

It makes me think about receiving things for free. It is said that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and in this world where we currently live, this is so true. Even though I didn't pay anything for the stones, they did come with a price tag. I had to stop everything I was doing to go and pick them up, and once home, I had to unload them, haul them to their new "homes" around the back of my house, and then I had to place them to build my beds. And now that I have a couple beds built, I have to buy plants to put in them!

The Bible talks about a total free gift: Salvation. It is, perhaps, the only thing we will ever receive for free that is a completely unselfish gift: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16 NIV).

But Salvation does come at a cost. Jesus paid an alarmingly high price to give it to us. First of all, He left Heaven: "You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich." (2 Cor. 8:9 NLT); "Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross" (Philippians 2:5-8 NKJV).

Jesus' death also came at a great costs. He died a very different death than any of us will ever die, and this is why there was so much anguish in the Garden of Gethsemane. This is why He asked God to remove the burden from Him: "Going a little farther, Jesus fell with his face to the ground and prayed, 'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.'.... He went away a second time and prayed, 'My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done....he prayed the third time, saying the same thing." (Matthew 26:39-44).

However, the cost to Jesus of our Salvation isn't the only cost. Just like me receiving the free stone resulted in work on my part, When we accept Jesus' gift, this totally free gift of love from our Creator, there is also a cost to us, for even though salvation is free, following Christ will cost us everything that we are: "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 16:24-25 NKJV)

Thus, following Christ means denying ourselves. It means admitting that we are no longer our own. We have been bought by the blood of Jesus, and this means we are now His. He has the rights to us. He owns us: "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your Spirit, which are God's." (1 Cor. 6:19-20 NKJV).

As a result, following Christ will be hard. It will be costly. It requires that we die to our own selves. It requires that we surrender our will to Him.

But are these things so bad?

Let's go back to my free stone. Sure it resulted in work for me; but in the end, my yard is so much nicer than it would have been otherwise. And it is the same with our surrender to Jesus Christ. The result is a life with access to perfect peace, incomprehensible wisdom, undeserved freedom, inexplicable joy, and oh, so much more.

I think the cost of following Christ is worth the result, don't you?

In His Love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. Please click here for Study #1 -- JESUS AND NICODEMUS; Study #2 -- THE WOMAN AT THE WELL; Study #3 --  AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA; Study #4 -- BREAD OF LIFE; Study #5 -- THE SHEPHERD AND HIS FLOCK; and Study #6 -- THE VINE AND THE BRANCHES

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 27 Oct 2020, 11:00 pm

"I can't remember anything lately," my friend said. "I think I'm losing my mind."

Have you ever said that? Sometimes I'm tempted to think that getting older is a good excuse for all that begins to fail.

But the good news is that no matter how many years go by, there's something that never fails, never loses its power or diminishes its impact; and that's God's promise that He knows you and me inside and out.

He knows you're reading this. He's aware of your thoughts, He observes your anxious moments and your days of sorrow.

God explains it here in this section below entitled YOUR NAME. It is an excerpt from Carol Kent's release, "He Holds My Hand."

YOUR NAME

"Quite a thought isn't it? Your name on God's hand. Your name on God's lips. Maybe you've seen your name in some special places. On an award or diploma…or maybe you've heard your name from some important people—a coach, a celebrity, a teacher. But to think that your name is on God's hand and on God's lips…my, could it be?" (Max Lucado)

I know you by name. "See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands" (Isaiah 49:16 NIV). You are that precious to Me. I care about every detail of your life. Start today by reading My Word: "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you" (Isaiah 43:1-2 NIV).

I see your tears. I know your thoughts. I have not forgotten your requests. When you call out My name, I am always available. "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me" (John 10:27 NIV).

I know your name. You are not a number to Me, or a symbol, or someone lost among all the other people in this world. You belong to Me, and I know your name. Because we have such an intimate relationship, "I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name" (Isaiah 45:3 NIV).

Let's Pray: Father, in my moments of heartache, I know You hold my hand and in Your hand is my name engraved. Thank You for knowing me so personally and intimately. You know my deepest secrets and my constant worry and each longing. Thank You for knowing how to resolve it all. In Jesus' name.

How will your outlook change, knowing God is aware of every detail?

Janet P. Eckles

Announcements

Feeling like you aren't worth anything? Take heart! God knows YOUR name!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 24 Oct 2020, 3:59 pm

Traveling through the great plains of the United States and Canada is an eye-opening experience. With the twinned highways, towns, cities, dams, etc. that scream of modern civilization, it is sometimes hard to believe that this was once the home of tens of thousands of plains bison.

The Native Americans relied on the bison for food, tools, shelter, warmth, everything. They used every part of the animal and only hunted what they needed to survive. They had many methods of bringing down the animals, but before the horse was introduced, they often used a "buffalo jump". Natives would cause the bison herd to stampede, then they would ensure the bison would run right over the edge of a cliff. The bodies of the massive creatures would then plummet to the bottom, where native warriors would be able to easily kill any stunned creature that survived the fall.

As we stood at the top of one such buffalo jump near Great Falls, Montana, all I had to do was close my eyes, and I could envision the solid mass of brown bodies bearing down, never realizing that the solid ground they trampled would soon come to an abrupt end. A little more imagination and I could even see the native warriors goading the bison on...

It reminded me of a little vision God gave me once. In my mind's eye I also saw a stampeding mass heading over a cliff. The only thing was, this group wasn't made up of bison. Rather, it was made up of an endless mass of human beings, charging forward, never realizing that their solid ground would soon end in an abrupt cliff. In the vision, I could clearly see the devil and his minions goading on the masses of humankind, driving them ever faster and faster towards the edge to fall into hell below...

There was one important difference, however, between the vision and the stampeding bison. In the vision, Jesus stood just at the sidelines, holding out His hands, begging the people to step out of the stampede to safety....

It is pretty easy to get depressed when you begin to contemplate the dark side of this world. When you think about the millions of babies that will never see the light of day; when you consider world hunger; when you think about human trafficking, child exploitation and suicide bombers; when you contemplate how drug use is rampaging, and along with it, suicide...to say nothing of the current global pandemic, civil wars and border clashes, poisonings, etc.... Yes, it's pretty easy to get depressed. The world is truly stampeding, just like those bison of old, towards hell.

But do we truly have reason to be depressed? Saddened, perhaps, yes, but depressed? Hasn't Jesus already made a way? 

Meditate on the following verse:

"Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil--the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else." (Eph. 2:1-3 NLT)

Doesn't that sound a lot like the stampeding bison, hurtling towards certain death?

Now consider 1 John 1:9: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (ESV)

Here we see Jesus standing on the sidelines, calling out to us to confess our sins, for when we do, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins!

Eph. 2 goes on to say, "But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God's grace that you have been saved!) For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus. So God can point to us in all future ages as examples of the incredible wealth of his grace and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us who are united with Christ Jesus." (Eph. 2:4-7 NLT)

Friends, we don't have to be stampeding towards certain spiritual death. We have a choice! No matter where we are in the stampeding line of humanity, we can reach out to Jesus. We can confess our sins, and He will forgive us and cleanse us. He will give us life. He will give us the incredible wealth of His grace and kindness towards all of us who are united with Christ Jesus!

Get out of the stampede now! Accept Jesus' offer! Why not answer the Saviour's call today?

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
Join us next Saturday for another lesson the bison of Montana had to teach me...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 22 Oct 2020, 10:02 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 Free10
Who doesn't like free stuff?

In this age of consumerism and trying to keep up with the neighbors, not much comes our way for free. Sure, retailers create promotional ads that offer something for free if you spend a certain amount. Or, if you buy two jars of peanut butter, you get the third for free. But have you ever chosen a product simply to get the free item marketed with it? If you stop and think about it, your free trinket isn't free at all. Its cost is secretly factored into the item's price when you buy it.

So why does the word 'free' pique our interest? It's because as human beings, we love free stuff. When I buy shampoo and it comes with a small bottle of free conditioner, I'll snatch this up even if I don't especially like the brand. Or, when I purchase three tires for my car and the third is free, it's a done deal. Or, if I buy a dinner entree and it comes with a free sliver of cheesecake, I'm all in. Who cares if it's only three bites worth, it was free! You get the idea.

Retailers use the word 'free' quite liberally in their advertising. And as consumers we struggle to say no to items labeled as such! But, I'll let you in on a really cool deal that is not a too-good-to-be-true sales scam. This deal has no strings attached, no gimmicks, and there is nothing you have to buy. You can't earn it, you can't collect trading stamps, nor do you have to answer a skill testing question.

So, what's the catch you might ask? Well, there isn't any!

The best freebie gift of all time is this-drum roll please!

It's your Salvation! This astounding 100 percent free-gift is yours through the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross! His shed blood for the atonement of your sins and mine is the absolute, bar none best gratis gift you will ever stumble upon in your lifetime! It doesn't get any better than that! So here's another question! Why on earth would you not scramble for it?

You can't earn the gift of salvation by doing good deeds or by giving to charity, although both are noble attributes. You can't receive eternal life by spending money on self-help books, or by collecting box tops, or even by going to church every Sunday. God's gift of his one and only Son is free and clear, no strings attached. And all you have to do is claim it! All you need to do is profess Jesus as your personal savior. It's as simple as that, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him, has eternal life." (John 3:16 NIV)

Still not convinced? Romans 6:23 says this, "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (NIV)

As you can see, Salvation through Jesus is hands down free! And it's yours for the asking!

My dear friend; I know that we have never met, but it's on my heart to share this good news with you. If you have never made a heart commitment to follow Jesus Christ, then I encourage you to do so. You might already know of Jesus in your head, but you can also know him in your heart. Please don't wait for tomorrow because none of us can be certain we even have tomorrow. Grace through faith is the best free thing you can ever hope to come by, and you won't have to spend a dime!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8,9 NIV)

Asking Jesus to be your personal Savior is as easy as a prayer. Romans 10:9 makes it clear: "If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (NIV)

If God is tugging at your heart and you're ready to claim the best freebie gift in the universe, check out these steps...

Trust Jesus Christ today! ...

1. Admit that you are a sinner and that you need God's help...
2. Be willing to change your mind and turn from your sin (repent)...
3. Believe that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried, and rose from the dead...
4. Through prayer, invite Jesus into your heart to become your personal Lord and Savior.

That's it and it's pretty simple! Am I right?

Today can be the day you secure for yourself the best freebie ever. Why not answer the Saviour's Call? And the coolest part is that Jesus himself will guarantee you an eternal warranty!

Paul Smyth

Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 20 Oct 2020, 9:49 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 Raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=2e9d598e-399b-5e90-1c2b-0a0001017300&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBbpSVmqVp7Mb1q_UYn7twkRB1-qIdDQsPsbO8JXArPhA02Acmnr9mgmTGCL79S-UbQGYHG5zZROOYeWZBW-NzAx

"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God...." (Colossians 1:9-10 NIV)

My two year old granddaughter is not clumsy by nature. Yet she goes through periods where she is continually tripping, stumbling and falling. This occurs because she is constantly growing and her mind has to forever be keeping up with her changing body maturity.

Likewise, in Christ, we too are to be continually growing in the knowledge of God. This facts also means that much like my little grandchild we too will stumble and trip and fall as we do so. Learning and implementing new things in our lives is always a challenge, which is why it is important for us to be aware of what comes next in these verses from Colossians: "Being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritances of the saints in the kingdom of light." (Col. 1: 11, 12 NIV)

As we are led by the Spirit into deeper areas of maturity in Christ, such as wisdom, endurance, patience and joyful thanksgiving in all circumstances we must also learn to rely upon the power of His strength within us more and more. We need His might to have the will to keep growing. We need His strength to apply what we are being taught. And we need His power to help us get up and keep going when we stumble and fall as we seek to apply these deeper areas of faith in our lives day by day. And such strength only comes as we train our minds daily to listen intently for the Spirit's leading within before we speak or act.

For me, cultivating this habit of listening to the Spirit, moment by moment, day by day, has to be intentional each and every day. As the years have gone by, I find it has become easier, but it is still far from perfect. I stumble in my endurance. But am thankful that God is always there to pick me up and get me going again. My patience can quickly turn to impatience in new or extremely trying circumstances. God patiently convicts and reminds me however of the better way to proceed. And I am not always thankful in all situations. Griping and complaining love nothing better than to grab the upper hand when things don't go the way I had hoped. The joy of the Lord never fails to turn me around however as the Spirit reminds me of the truth of Scripture amidst each and every circumstance that God is in control and has a plan and a purpose for all that happens.

Thus, much like my granddaughter my mind soon catches up with my spiritual growth and my footing once again becomes solid and in sync with the rest of me.

How about you? Have you found yourself stumbling, tripping and falling over your own spiritual growth these days? If so, stop, listen and follow the still small voice of His Spirit within you and soon you'll be up and on your way again in his glorious strength, might and power.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, what a wonderful call You have placed upon our lives, to keep growing in the knowledge of God through Christ. Bless us with the will to look to You in all things that we might have strength with all power according to Your glorious might, to flourish as we grow in wisdom, endurance, patience and joyful thanksgiving. In Christ's name we ask. Amen.

Lynne Phepps
Atlin, B.C.

Announcements

The book of Job has many valuable lessons to teach us. Over the past two years, several studies have been published in the Nugget on the book of Job. If you have missed any of these studies, please click here, and may God bless you abundantly as you learn the valuable lessons God has to teach us in this thought-provoking book.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 17 Oct 2020, 9:18 pm

I have a landscaping plan. I want to put patio stone around the base of my circular clothesline, I want to build a planter box between the patio stone and the house, and I want to fill that planter with irises. Not the ordinary blue kind that bloom in the spring and then are done for the year; but the tall, bearded kind that bloom more than once a year and have unique colours.

I keep receiving "deals" for beautiful irises in my inbox. How I'd love to snatch up these beautiful bulbs! And of course, the fall is the time to plant them....

The problem is, new patio stone is extremely expensive, and the plan cannot be put into action until the patio stone is in place. I've been watching the local adds, and some good deals on patio stone have come up. Unfortunately, the seller has always given them to someone else before I could get there to pick them up.

I don't get it. Why am I continually being "teased" with good deals on the tall, bearded irises, but the things I need to capitalize on these deals doesn't materialize? Doesn't God give us the desires of our hearts?

I don't know the answer to this question. Nor do I know why whatever it is you are going through isn't just "going away" so that you can capitalize on something that you long to do or be.

For example, you need a place to live. Rent is outrageously expensive, and a beautiful home for purchase comes on the market, just in the right location and listed at an affordable price that is under market-value. The only problem is, with rent bleeding you dry, you don't have the down payment.

Or perhaps you have really been wanting to visit your kids out west. You haven't seen them in years, and an opportunity comes up for you to be able to fly out at half-price. The only problem is, you're not allowed to take the time off work!

I could give plenty of other examples, but I think you get the point. You are no doubt in a similar situation at the moment. And if you are human, you are more than likely asking why you are being "teased" with something you really want, when what you need to capitalize on it doesn't materialize. And if you are human, then more than likely the question has come to your mind: Doesn't God give us the desires of our hearts?

The Bible says He does: "Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart's desires." (Ps. 37:4 NLT). And since the Bible is God's inerrant Word, this would lead me to question whether or not I truly know what my heart desires!

Asaph, the one who wrote many of the Psalms, is quoted as saying: "But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign LORD my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do." (Ps. 73:28 NLT).

Skip back a few Psalms to Psalm 16: "You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." (Vs. 11 NIV). In other words, it is the presence of the Lord that gives us our joy and our pleasures. But not just our pleasures, our eternal pleasures!

Could it be that while I'm begging God to fulfill His promise of giving me my heart's desire to have a bed of tall, bearded Irises, God is smiling that all-knowing smile and saying, "Lyn, I know you think that tall, bearded irises are what your heart desires; but I made all the delicate, inner parts of your body and knit you together in your mother's womb. I made you wonderfully complex. My workmanship is marvelous--how well you know it. I watched you as you were being formed in utter seclusion, as you were woven together in the dark of the womb. I saw you before you were born. Every day of your life was recorded in my book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. (Paraphrased from Ps. 139:13-16, NLT). I know you, child, I know the true desire of your heart, and that is to ... be with Me! I am the One who fills you with joy. The true desire of your heart is to be near Me!"

You know, just writing this down on paper makes me see how silly I've been acting because I haven't yet been able to get my tall, bearded irises. I think I'll spend some time in God's presence today. Not to beg for tall, bearded irises, but to simply rejoice in His presence. And I'm going to meditate on the fact that when God doesn't give me the desires that I think are of my heart, He is busy giving me the real desires of my heart!

What about you? Will you put aside your disappointments and join me in God's presence?

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, andScriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, withAnswers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements
Can we, as Christians, learn something from the Election process? Check out the mini-series, "Of Elect and Select"!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 15 Oct 2020, 10:35 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 19204310

"So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?'" (Heb. 13:6 NIV. See also Ps. 118:6).

Whenever the struggles of life come our way, God is there to help us, and He speaks to us through His word. And yes, you had better believe God defends us, just like He did with Moses when the people complained in the wilderness; just like He did when Jesus was tempted on top of the temple in the wilderness. Our number one focus must be to rely on God's promises given to us in His word. Truth can be difficult to uncover in this world, but God's promises are always true. This we know and depend on, for are we not children of God?

In 2008-2009, due to lay offs from work, my husband was forced to foreclose on two properties. In April, 2017, my family again faced foreclosure. We didn't have enough money to live on, and neither my husband nor I had a job. The stress caused arguments between us. My husband tried to ask his relatives to help, even offering to repay the loan with interest. I told my husband, "I didn't pray for more debts! Don't be disappointed if they answered 'no' to you". At one point during this time, I remember that God opened my mouth to say to him: "Is the Lord's arm too short for you?"  I didn't know at the time that this was a direct quote from the Word of God. It wasn't until he came home from work in the bakery on March 28, 2018, at 2 am, and read to me from Numbers 11:23 that I realized it was scripture: "The Lord answered Moses, 'Is the Lord's arm too short? Now you will see whether or not what I say will come true for you.'" (NIV)

It was during this time that God reached out to us through a prayer warrior. Her prayer gave us so much comfort and peace: "Heavenly Father, I come to you and I lift up Sophie to you. Lord I ask that you touch her and give her joy and happiness. I ask that you touch every area of her life and restore all that has been taken. I ask that you touch her finances and provide for all her needs, wants and desires. I ask that you touch her today Lord and give her the joy and contentment that can only come from you. I ask that you restore to her all the things the evil one has taken from her 100 fold. I thank you Father and I give you all the glory. In Jesus name I ask all things, Amen."

Praise God, our hardship was God's glory. Our house was saved from the auction. At the last hour, as my husband and I were praying together, I cried out to God with tears in my eyes. Afterward, while my husband was praising God with his guitar, he heard God speak to him: "Ask E Vansonne, she will help". We did, and she was willing to loan us the money. Through her, God provided the money to repay our other debts through a loan without interest, and then God not only provided the money to repay the loan from E Vansonne in just two months, but He also provided for us to pay off one of the houses where we now live. God glory story is endless in each chapter of our lives.

It must be first and foremost in our thoughts to remember that God is bigger than anything that comes our way. To praise him for who He is, that is my heart's desire. Will you join me?

Below are a few Bible texts to read when we need to remember that God is bigger than anything. They will encourage your heart and soul. I encourage you to read them, to mediate upon them, to recite them back to God in your prayers: Ps. 46:10; Is. 46:4; Heb. 13:5; Eph. 1; Heb. 13:6; Ps. 118:6; Deut. 3:22; 1 John 4:18; 1 Cor. 15:10. Oh how He loves to be reminded of our devotion to Him!

Here are a few examples of how God has used His Word to bring me comfort and strength:

1. I remember in the midst of the storm over the foreclosure of our home in 2017, I opened my Bible one time, and Rom. 10:11 just popped up to my eyes: "Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame." (Romans 10:11 NIV)

2. I remember the day in 2013. I was so sick with an ovarian cysts. God gave me: "Yet He Himself bore our sicknesses, and He carried our pains; but we in turn regarded Him stricken, struck down by God, and afflicted." (Isaiah 53:4 HCSB)

3. When my aunt passed away, God brought this text to my mind: "The righteous perish, and no one takes it to heart; the devout are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death." (Isaiah 57:1-2 NIV)

4. When my daughter was giving us trouble in her teenage years, God gave me this text: "He heals the brokenhearted binds up their wounds." (Psalms 147:3 NIV); He also gave me John 10:10: "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (NIV)

The Lord is truly my helper. He is my ever present help in time of need, and His Word, the living Sword of the Spirit, is always there to give us the comfort and wisdom we need.

Sophie Chun Ngeth

Announcements
Have some devotional ideas that you feel might be a blessing to others? Why not write them out and send them in for consideration for publication on the Nugget?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 10 Oct 2020, 10:56 pm

In the concluding part of our series on the Biblical equivalent of the Nobel Prizes story - The Parable of the Talents, today we shall focus on the final two lessons derived from said Parable...
"No" Balance...

"...the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.' His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'" (Matt. 25:19-21 NIV)

"The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.' 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'" (Luke 19:16-17 NIV)

Boom! At this stage, if I were to coin a phrase and say that our God is a "God of Imbalance", would it not be revolting, seemingly at direct odds not only with the tone and tenor of the essay so far, but also with that of the Scriptures, which have always portrayed Him as a balanced and an orderly God (See 1 Cor. 14:33)? Oh there are umpteen instances of His balance borne out of infinite wisdom exhibited in several spheres such as:

a) the "reverse breathing mechanism" He has established, balancing plant life with animal life;
b) being balanced in taking care of both the spiritual and bodily needs of His followers (See Mark 6:30-44);
c) suggesting a perfect balance in discharge of financial responsibilities towards God and the Government (See Matt. 22:15-22).

But give Him a loud hallelujah, for He does indeed become "imbalanced", only and only when our personal benefit is at stake! Take, for instance, "our wages" for sinning: "He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor punished us according to our iniquities." (Psalm 103:10 NKJV).

At a time when our sins require a severe punishment, He chastises us just enough to bring us back on track, as any loving father would (See Heb. 12:5-11).

Then what about the "rewards being not in proportion to known sources of efforts for Him" (thanks IT Department)? Now coming to our "rewards scene" in the parable of talents.... Pray tell, is there any co-relation (however remote) between minas and cities? For earning merely "10 minas", we are who are faithful are being guaranteed a reward of -- oh boy, oh boy -- ten cities! This scene is the very definition of tilted scales of justice of the positive kind.

Even on this side of eternity, the Lord provides wondrously for us, and in the other side of eternity, boy, the blessings and rewards He has in store for us are simply mind-boggling. No wonder the Prophet Isaiah declares and Apostle Paul reaffirms, bringing to light the true meaning of the Old Testament Prophet's declaration, "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man. The things which God has prepared for those who love Him" (1 Cor. 2:9 NKJV. See also Isaiah 64:4)!

Dear Child of God, even as you take inventory of your life so far, is not your experience similar to mine? Is it not both comforting and reassuring to know that we have been punished far less for our sins of commission or omission, and that our meager efforts (relatively speaking) for His Kingdom, have fetched us rewards far beyond our expectations? The Good News to top it all is that the best (far more precious than any Nobel Prize) is yet to come....

"No" Excuse...

"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant!...And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'" (Matt 25:24, 30 NIV)

Remember, too: "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them." (James 4:17 NIV)

The scene of the Master blasting the lazy, excuse-prone third servant leaves none in doubt that there is no place for sloth in God's scheme of things. Despite seeing the diligent co-workers at work and given the long rope (for the Master came after a long time) to mend his ways, this sluggard had scant regard for the Master's business, and the Master rightly took him to task for ignoring His tasks. That brings us to a subject within a subject. Sins of "commission" and sins of "omission".

Is it not relatively easy to be wary about the sins of "commission"? Although we are careful about not committing murder, theft, adultery, do we not often get tripped up by more subtle sins of omission? God is just as critical of the latter as He is of the former, as the above Scripture portions so amply reveal.

The parable of the Good Samaritan is yet another pointer to God's mind on this theme. Just as Jesus was appreciative of the Good Samaritan, wasn't he critical of the indifferent temple priest and the Levite?

Finally, coming to the 'sheep and goat ' judgment, (See Matt. 25:31-46), which immediately follows the Parable of talents as though to emphasize a point both literally and figuratively, what does Jesus accuse the goats on His left hand of? The sins of "commission"? Murder, theft, adultery? No! Rather, He accuses them of sins of "omission", of acts they they knew they had to do but didn't!

The words of Jesus mentioned there should always ring in our ears: "For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me..." (Matt. 25:42-43 NIV)

What about, "I kept sending you Bible-based/spiritual e-mails, but you never even cared to reply to encourage me..." Boom! Now who whispered this into my ear?

Prayer: Father, we eat, breathe and drink for Your glory alone. Inspire us to go about investing Your talents for Your Glory with due diligence. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
Hyderabad-India
J and SM Ministries

Announcements
This is the last part of the series, Biblical Nobel Prizes-Of Patent, Latent and Talent! If you have missed any of these parts, you can access the entire series by clicking here. If you do not have access to the Internet, email me and I'll be happy to forward them to you.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 06 Oct 2020, 4:38 pm

Hey, it is the time of the year (October) when the Nobel Prize winners names for 2020 are announced.

Now it is time to brace-up for some quiz time, folks, regarding the "dubious" history of the Nobel Prizes!

Who invented dynamite? Do I hear the answer? Alfred Nobel!

Yes, it is him alright. In fact, in 1867, Nobel received U.S. patent number 78317 for his dynamic invention. The fact that the explosive, invented for use in blasting rocks during mining operations, ended up as a destructive weapon used for destroying properties, limb and life, was not this brilliant scientist's fault at all. Yet the all-too-surreal story behind the origin of the Nobel prize would have us believe so!

BOOM...in 1888, Alfred had a dubious distinction of reading his own unflattering obituary! Confused? Let me explain.... When Ludvig, Alfred's brother, died, a French newspaper mistakenly ran an obituary for Alfred which called him the "merchant of death." It went on to say, "Dr. Alfred Nobel, who became rich by finding ways to kill more people faster than ever before, died yesterday." This horrified Alfred. Not wanting to go down in history with such a horrible epitaph, Nobel created a will that soon shocked his relatives and led to the establishment of the now-famous Nobel Norwegian committee, which awards Nobel Prize "to all during the preceding year, have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind."

Nobel's last will left approximately 94 percent of his worth to the establishment of five prizes in the fields of physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, and peace. The prize for economics was not added until 1969. The Nobel prize is now awarded for several outstanding achievements, which have made this strife-torn, ailments-infested World "a better place to live in". Couple this with the fact that it continues to inspire several to put their best foot forward in various worthy pursuits, and it stands as a shining testimony to a man who aspired to "live nobly even after his death" by recognizing and rewarding the noble deeds of his fellow mankind.

So coming to the spiritual realm (do I hear some of the readers saying, it is high time...), is there a Biblical account of the good Lord also recognizing and rewarding His faithful servants?

Welcome to the parable of talents. Welcome once again to that parable latent with lessons waiting to explode (See Matt 25:14-31/Luke 19:11-26). Though the central message of the said parable is similar in both the Gospels, one would observe some subtle differences between the two accounts. It needs to be noted here that the one recorded in Matthew's Gospel was narrated in Jerusalem, while the one in Luke's Gospel was related by the Saviour on the way to Jerusalem.

Since we started off with the Nobel story, this series of 3 parts will use the first two letters of this famed chemist's name, "NO", to outline each of the lessons to be derived from this "explosive" parable. Didn't somebody say you have to blast before building? So here goes...

"NO" Exception...

"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability." (Matt 25:14-15 NIV)

Firstly, this parable blasts the myth that there are Christians who with no talents. Scripture is explicit about the fact that none were left without a talent. Let's also at this time, blast yet another myth that "talents" comprise only those of preaching, singing and the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit (Word of wisdom; Word of knowledge; Faith; Gifts of healings; Miracles; Prophecy; Distinguishing between spirits; and Tongues. See 1 Cor. 12:7-11), which are guaranteed to bring one under public spotlight.

In case you are one who participates actively in one or all of the three "silent, behind the scenes" ministries of:

a) Intercession prayer: "Brothers and sisters, I beg you to help me in my work by praying to God for me." (Romans 15:30 ERV);

b) Encouragement: "So encourage each other and help each other grow stronger in faith, just as you are already doing." (1 Thess. 5:11 ERV. See also Romans 12:8/2 Tim 1:16-18/Heb 13:3); and

c) Hospitality: "Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it." (Heb 13:2 NIV)

take heart! You are lining up for yourself some very precious heavenly rewards. These ministries may not bring public approbation, but be encouraged to continue faithfully "investing these talents" for His glory, for the Master says, "Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done." (Rev 22:12 NIV).

Prayer: Father, we praise and thank Thee for entrusting us with the "talents from above". Enable us to use them faithfully. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
Hyderabad-India
J and SM Ministries

Announcements
Please join us on Thursday to see what lessons we can further derive from the parable of the talents in "Biblical Nobel Prizes-Of Patent, Latent and Talent!" Part 2!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 03 Oct 2020, 7:06 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 Rose-o10
"I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys." (Song of Solomon 2:1 NIV)

I had to do a double take when I read this the other day. I mean, we are told to be humble, right? To not flaunt ourselves? But this woman, whoever it is that Solomon is writing about in the Song of Solomon, is obviously a bit too full of herself!

I read on, fully expecting a rebuke from the king. Instead, His response reads: "Like a lily among thorns is my darling among the young women." (Song of Solomon 2:2 NIV).

Wait. Where is the admonition to repent of prideful thinking? Where is the reprimand for a very arrogant statement? Where is the shock? The recoil? The shaming lecture? It simply isn't there. Instead, we find the king not only agreeing with her, but expanding upon her words, telling her that not only is she like a beautiful flower, but compared to her, all others are but thorns!

Wait! He's encouraging her arrogance!

There are many opinions as to why this particular book is written. Some say it is how husbands and wives should see each other, and I couldn't agree more. Others say this is how Jesus sees the church. Again, I couldn't agree more; but I also find in the Song of Solomon a beautiful portray of how God sees each of us, and how we should respond to Him. So when we see the young woman saying she is like the Rose of Sharon, and we see the young man agreeing with her, we actually see a glimpse of how we appear in the eyes of our God! When we've accepted Jesus as our Saviour, when we've exchanged our badness for His perfect righteousness, God sees us as beautiful. In fact He sees us as being so beautiful that all others in comparison are but thorns!

I'm still having a problem with the woman's statement, however. I can accept that this is how God sees me, but shouldn't I be a bit more humble in my assessment of myself? After all, I don't feel like a Rose of Sharon. Rather, I feel like I'm the spines of thorns, the ones that tore into Jesus' precious brow. It's one thing for God to see me as different, but I don't see myself as being so special, and I shouldn't feel that way either! Otherwise I'd be "flaunting" myself....

This is certainly the trap I've been caught up in for so many years. It's one thing to know that God loves me; but I certainly don't see myself as deserving of that love.... Quite the opposite, in fact!

But wait a minute. If God says that compared to me all the others are a field of thorns in His eyes, shouldn't I agree with Him? I mean, if I don't, then I'm kind of calling Him a liar, aren't I? And if I can't put my faith in what He says about me, then how can I put my faith in what He says about Himself?

Could it be that this is one of the reasons I struggle so much with my faith? When I don't have faith in the fact that God sees me as more beautiful and precious than anything else, how can I have faith that He will take care of my worries? How can I have faith that He heals? That He blesses? That He -- Saves?

For the first time in my life, I see faith as black and white. It's not a "pick what part of faith makes sense to you" kind of deal. It's all or none! Either I trust God for everything -- including how He sees me -- or I don't trust Him for anything!

I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to see how my "humility" in not seeing myself as having any worth actually stems from lack of faith in God!

If this resonates with any of you, if you tend towards low self-worth or have trouble understanding how God can love you, then remember: Your lack of faith in His love for you, in how He sees you, is undermining your faith in Him for everything else!

I don't know about you, but I want to renounce my sense of poor self-worth. I choose instead to put my faith in the One who sees me as perfect and precious and beautiful -- as a Rose of Sharon, a Lily among thorns. I choose to believe that I am perfect, precious and beautiful in Him. And I choose to believe that everything else He says is true, too!

Thank you Jesus!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
Just how does the Bible suggest that we manage argument?  Check out Managing Argument and discover some practical tips from the book of Job!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 02 Oct 2020, 5:04 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 Raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=2e9d598e-399b-5e90-1c99-ea0001018c00&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBbpSVmqVp7Mb1q_UYn7twkRB1-qIdDQsPsbO8JXArPhA02Acmnr9mgmTGCL79S-UbQGYHG5zZROOYeWZBW-NzAx

"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." (John 15:7 NASB)

We read stories about people who prayed for rain, but who forgot to bring their umbrellas in anticipation of the blessing.

When we abide in Christ, we pray and symbolically carry our umbrellas to prepare for the overwhelming gifts that He promises. We pray, and wait with expectation. What joy to expect blessing from God at any moment and to be ready to receive it! We are to be like little children who expect miracles every day.

When we submit our lives to God and live with Him involved in every daily activity or thought, we walk in His presence -- we abide. We set aside our right to live in any way that is contrary to God's way. If we find ourselves drifting, we can pray to find a godly mentor who can help us return into obedience to the Good Shepherd. When out of fellowship, we can pray to come back home -- God will provide a church with sound biblical teaching. In the meantime, we can read our Bible and listen to Christian music on the radio. When we abide in Him, His words will abide in us as we joyfully trust in His promises. As an act of faith, let's have our umbrellas ready for the blessings to pour down.

We can learn to stay spiritually strong as we continually abide in Christ, reading His Word, praying regularly, and thinking about Him through every activity of our life. Singing songs of praise to our wonderful Lord is another way to be in His presence at all times. When we fly the banner of Christ over our heart, we reside under God's favour and protection, and obey His Word.

Prayer: Dear Lord, we pray that You will teach us to live our lives in Your presence. We stand on the precious name of Jesus as we pray, "Thy will be done." With umbrella up, or upside down, we are ready to receive the downpour of Your blessings. Amen.

Karen Milam
Penn Valley, California, USA

Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission

Announcements

The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. Please click here for Study #1 -- JESUS AND NICODEMUS; Study #2 -- THE WOMAN AT THE WELL; Study #3 --  AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA; Study #4 -- BREAD OF LIFE; Study #5 -- THE SHEPHERD AND HIS FLOCK; and Study #6 -- THE VINE AND THE BRANCHES

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 30 Sep 2020, 11:43 pm

"My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, Your Majesty." (Daniel 6:22 NIV)

Some of you may see dogs wearing harnesses over their muzzles. The first time I saw this, I though the dog was sick, and that it was some kind of a mask like people wear in order to stop the spread of viruses or to ensure that the air they breathe is clean. I was wrong! I googled it to learn that this thing is actually called a "muzzle". According to the advertisement of one company, wearing one of these devices is very comfortable and does not make the dog feel uncomfortable. It is there to prevent the dog from biting, from eating garbage off the street, to keep the dog from licking at wounds, and to prevent dogs from barking!

In our lives, we find ourselves living in and among different kind of people. We likely never imaged that we would be in these situations. I suspect that Daniel never thought he'd be in the situation he found himself in either, that day that he was thrown to the Lions.

When you have time, I encourage you to read the book of Daniel. Many of you know his story, that he was in a high position, second only to the King of Mediopersia. There were many who were jealous of him, and he was not safe. One of the very interesting parts of Daniel's story is that he didn't get angry with the king. In so doing, he was acting like Christ.

Remember the story of Jesus' crucifixion? When He was brought to Golgatha, I don't see in the record anyone asking Jesus Christ "to forgive" them for hurting and killing Him. Nonetheless, He did forgive them: "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34 NIV). And He forgives you, him, her, them, me, us all.

We need to follow His example and immediately forgive people who hurt us, without trying to justify ourselves and without pointing the finger of blame.

Maybe right now you are perhaps in a similar situation to Daniel. Maybe it is in your situation at work or at church. You never thought you would be in the situation, but there are people who are jealous of you. Can you follow Daniel's example and act like Christ?

Scripture teaches that we can't handle anything apart from Christ. He promises to be with us in times of need. In our weakness, He shows Himself be our protector.

No matter what unexpected challenges happen in our work place or in church or any situation. We can still be on solid ground with Jesus by relying on Him to help us follow in His steps. While our society, and unfortunately, also the church, is made up of imperfect people, Jesus is perfect and holy.

We can also be assured that Jesus loves us and that He always takes the side of those in need. That is why we are told: "Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:16 NIV)

Today, we are all in need in one way or another, and we all need Him. As a believer in Jesus Christ, He is on our team. He is for each of you. He is for our redemption. He is for our sanctification. He died for us while we were still sinners. Right or left, wrong or right, He is for those who need Him.

Jesus is patient with us as we learn and grow. He understands the frustrations that we face. He walks with us through the valleys, and He delights in our newfound wisdom and growth: "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." (John 10:11 NIV). Why not, like Daniel of the Bible, follow Jesus' example in all that you do?

And when you find yourself in a situation where you feel like lashing out at someone, remember the muzzle. Don't say the first words that come to you. Instead, remember to follow Jesus' example and show forgiveness. And when someone begins lashing out to you, pray to God that He will send His angel with a "muzzle" to stop the flow of negative words!

Let's pray: I thank my Heavenly Father that "the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen." (2 Timothy 4:17 NIV). In Jesus Christ name, the name above all name, I ask, Amen.

Sophie Chun Ngeth
San Bernardino

Announcements

You don't care for punishment?  What if you knew it was for your own good?  Join us on Tuesday for "No Pain No Gain", a mini-series designed to help us see why correction is not only permitted but encouraged!  

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 26 Sep 2020, 9:29 pm

We couldn't initially identify the strange creature feeding at the bottom of the harbour at Anse d'Arlet in Martinique; but upon closer observation, we realized it was a marine turtle, more than likely a Green Sea Turtle. The reason we didn't immediately recognize it was that from a distance it appeared distorted. It was only when we came in a bit closer with the glass-bottomed boat that we realized the "distortion" was in fact a large Sharksucker (Remora) that was stuck to the marine turtle's shell.

The poor turtle didn't appear to like this "hitchhiker", and he tried several different water manoeuvers to try and dislodge it; but to no avail. That Sharksucker would not be thrown off.

So many in this day and age suffer from anxiety and depression. It's like these conditions have a suction-cup mouth, just like the Sharksucker, and they are clamped on tightly. We try everything to dislodge it, but it is to no avail. The anxiety and depression have far too strong a hold on us to be able to throw them off.

We initially thought the Sharksucker was feeding from algae that clung to the turtle's shell; however, apparently this sucker fish actually feeds primarily on the dung of its host*....

Could it be that anxiety and depression that cling to so many of us are also feeding upon some kind of "dung" in our lives?

Sure, we aren't Green Sea Turtles, but many of us carry around a bit of "dung"--things like insecurity, fear, low self-esteem and unforgiveness. We also carry around doubt, and we cling tenaciously to control and become completely disillusioned when things don't go the way we think they should. But in allowing these things in our lives, are we inadvertently providing "food" for the anxiety and the depression?

The Bible teaches, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Eph. 6:12 NASB). Could it be that the way to discourage the anxiety and depression is to rid ourselves of what it feeds upon?

But wait a minute. I don't want to relinquish control! And why shouldn't I doubt? I mean, it is an impossible situation, isn't it? And don't I have a right to be insecure? After all, I was created too ____(tall, short, fat, thin, boring, light-skinned, whatever). Besides, _____ certainly doesn't deserve my forgiveness. What he did wasn't fair, it wasn't just and right, and therefore, he doesn't have the right to be forgiven!

And so it is that we continue to allow all that "dung" of insecurity, doubt, fear, unforgiveness, jealousy, control, etc., to provide ample food for the demons of depression and anxiety.... 

Now I'm not saying that all depression and anxiety are demonic. What I'm saying is that in addition to a true medical problem, there are parts of the depression and anxiety that are rooted in other things, and when we feel so ambushed by depression and anxiety, many times there is something we can do about it. We can begin search our lives for anything that might cause any evil spirits of depression and anxiety to cling to us. We can give those things to God. We can relinquish control. We can recognize our feelings of inadequacy and insecurity and renounce them as lies from the pit of hell. We can forgive. We can grow in our faith. And once what the depression and anxiety feed upon are gone, then we can rise up in the name of Jesus, with the power of His blood shed at Calvary, and renounce the demons of depression and anxiety. We can accept Jesus' joy, His peace as our own. We can break free.

As we continued to watch that marine turtle with its "hitchhiker", we noticed that the turtle eventually stopped fighting with the Sharksucker. In fact, before our glass-bottomed boat moved on, it appeared that the turtle had simply accept the Sharksucker as part of his life....

I am only speaking from personal experience; but I feel that other depression and anxiety sufferers out there will be able to relate when I say that sometimes, I just don't "want" to be rid of the depression! It's like it's "comfortable"! Sounds crazy, doesn't it? I mean, who would want to stay depressed? However ask any depressed person in the midst of their depression, and they are simply too depressed to even try. We become used to these "sucker fish", and we stop fighting them!

Don't stop fighting them. Any demonic component to any anxiety or depression you might be suffering does not have the right to be there! It must flee at the name above every other name, it must flee at the name of Jesus!

Suffering from depression or anxiety? It may be a true medical condition, and if so, you must see a doctor. However, it may be, at least in part, of a demonic nature, and this portion is something that is 100% curable. I urge you to search your life for the things your depression may be clinging to. Is there someone you need to forgive? Are you depressed because you are not in control? Are you disappointed that things didn't happen the way you had hoped? Are you feeling insecure? Inadequate? Or any of the other lies formed in the pit of hell? If so, your depression and anxiety will feed off of these other emotions. Ask God to help you through these triggers. You'll be amazed at how much easier the battle will become.

In His love,
Lyn

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remora

Announcements
John the Baptist said, "The time has come...The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!" (Mark 1:15). But what exactly is the Kingdom of God? Check out "Basics of Basileia", a four-part mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan designed to help us have a better understand of God's Kingdom!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 24 Sep 2020, 10:40 pm

"Let everything that has breath and every breath of life praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! (Hallelujah!)" (Psalm 150:6 AMP)

Praise the Lord! Psalm 150 commands everything, "Just DO it!" -- not just humans, but ladybugs, coyotes, stars in their heavens. A woman stops by to admire the sunflowers in my garden, turning their heads as they follow the sun. Their very presence and the intricacies of their construction praise the Lord. Trees praise Him, their leaves swaying in the breeze, with a sort of breathing as they convert carbon dioxide into oxygen for us to breathe -- to the praise of our Creator's craftsmanship. Sparrows wake up singing in the morning, reminding us to focus completely on the Lord.

There are no directions in the psalm on how to praise -- the psalmist didn't think that we needed any. We breathe in and out as we walk through our day with our God. Our lives committed to Him are the praise that we offer, doing, each day, what He has given us to do, with rejoicing.

The quality of our praise isn't an issue or even whether or not we are doing it the right way. Someone said, "It's none of my business what other people think of me. I'm in the efforts business, not the results business." What is the result of my praising the Lord? A hallelujah comes out, maybe the greatest thing that any creature can be part of, on this earth. "Gratitude is the gate upon which the spiritual life swings," someone else has said. That spiritual swinging is the sound of the sweet chariot of our lives, praising the God who made us, by the everyday example that we set.

Practicing daily praise is a hallelujah, a regular habit, downloading into our hearts the hymns that are in our heads, going down the street with our Saviour, continuing in prayer, stopping to see if we can help someone in need, being a member of this present world and the heavenly world at the same time, being conscious of meaning and purpose in our lives no matter where it takes us, and being grateful with every breath for being allowed a part in another hallelujah.

"[The Fourfold Hallelujah] After these things I heard something like the great and mighty shout of a vast multitude in heaven, exclaiming, "Hallelujah! Salvation and glory (splendor, majesty) and power (dominion, might) belong to our God." (Revelation 19:1 AMP)

"Then I heard something like the shout of a vast multitude, and like the boom of many pounding waves, and like the roar of mighty peals of thunder, saying, "Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, [the Omnipotent, the Ruler of all] reigns." (Revelation 19:6 AMP)

Prayer: Dear heavenly Father, may we hear Your canticle divine in our lives today, the eternal song which we shall someday share with all believers. Thank You for these foretastes of joy in Your presence. May each of our lives become a hallelujah. Grow our understanding in patience, kindness, and love so that our sinful selves are changed to become what You always intended them to be. Help us to accept Your forgiveness. Thank You for the example of Your Son, who showed us the way out, and in whose name we pray. Amen.

Rose DeShaw
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Reprinted from the PresbyCan Daily Devotional with the author's permission

Announcements
Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 22 Sep 2020, 4:49 pm

Last week, I posted a short devotional entitled "Be Strong and Courageous". When I wrote it, I knew in my heart that God intended the message for someone in particular.... Little did I know that the "someone" was actually...me!

We all know how much easier it is to preach than to practice, and I'm no exception. It was barely 30 minutes after I had posted last Saturday's devotional to appear last Saturday that I received a phone call from my doctor's office. Now, I don't know about any of the other cancer survivors out there, but every time I get an unsolicited call from my doctor, the little "worry bug" begins to chew on my spirit. Especially in the wake of recent, (supposedly) routine testing. Imagine my surprise when it was the booking clerk phoning to let me know I had been booked for a CT scan. The conversation went something like this:

"A CT scan? But no CT has been ordered. What are they going to scan anyway?"

"Your abdomen."

"But I just had an abdominal MRI done in June."

"An MRI in June? Let me see why this has been ordered. Okay. Here it is. It is to follow up on the abnormal spots seen on your bones."

"Abnormal spots on my bones? But no one told me there were any abnormal spots on my bones. And besides, I just had a bone scan, and the results were negative for bone metastasis."

"You just had a bone scan? Hum. Well this is Dr. ____ who wishes to follow up."

This doctor is apparently the one who took over when my oncologist retired recently. I have never seen him, and to be honest, I can't even remember his name. Hence the "Dr. ______". But that information only served to further fuel the already-seeded worry. "But why? I wasn't told there was anything wrong with the MRI or the bone scan. Why do I need the CT?"

The booking clerk agreed at this point to leave a note for my family doctor and her nurse to follow up with me about the "why" question the following week, and we peaceably ended the phone call.

That peace lasted exactly 10 seconds. In another 5 minutes, I was a bawling mess. What if they hadn't told me about bad results? It had happened to me before! What if it was all happening again? What if my bone scan really hadn't been negative for bony mets? What if the MRI really did show metastatic disease to the liver and the bone? What if...?

My poor husband tried to console me, but I was in no state to be reasoned with. Fortunately, I had to leave then to meet my mother at Walmart and help her do her monthly shopping. I left the house in tears, but at least I was somewhat distracted.

My husband said he had begun to pray for me at that point, and I know it was true because I had barely exited the driveway when God again placed Deut. 31:3-6 on my mind. Only this time, the words were personal: The LORD your God Himself will cross over ahead of me. He will destroy these nations before me, and I will take possession of their land.... And the LORD will do to them what He did to Breast Cancer in 2012, that He destroyed.... The LORD will deliver them to me.... Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD my God goes with me; He will never leave me or forsake me. (Adapted from the NIV).

I realized then that I was being asked to put into practice what I had so smugly written just 30 minutes earlier. It took me a few minutes to give it all to God, but in the end, I praised Him that He would fight this battle. He would do to this cancer threat what He had done to cancer seven years ago. He would deliver me from this cancer threat. I had only one thing to do: I had to be strong and courageous. I was to not be afraid or terrified because God would never leave me or forsake me!

Peace washed over me then, and that peace remained, despite the fact that I had no idea why they wanted to do that CT; I didn't know if I had been given accurate results from previous tests or not; I didn't know if the CT would show metastatic disease or nothing at all! I knew one thing and one thing alone: My God would never leave me or forsake me to cancer.... Or to anything else for that matter!

What is the "nations" and "giants" that have been thrown your way today? Yesterday? Last week? Last month? It doesn't matter when, or even what they are. God will do to them what He did to Sihon and Og. He will go before you. He will destroy these circumstances. Your part is simply this: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NIV)

P.S. In the end, the CT was a routine scan and the results came back negative for cancer. Instead of weeks of stress, I had God's peace! 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
This is the last part of this short mini-series. If you missed the first part, please let me know and I will send it to you.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 19 Sep 2020, 11:12 pm

I am asking God right now what someone out there needs to hear, and the message is loud and clear:

"I have not abandoned you!"

This isn't a new concept, is it? After all, the scriptures tell us: "for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deut. 31:6b NIV).

The context of this famous words spoken forth to the Children of Israel by Moses himself just before his death is this: Israel would soon cross the Jordon River and begin to take the Promised Land. That was good news, yes, but there would be challenges. There were many nations already possessing the Promised Land. These nations seemed to have the idea that Canaan was their home, and they would do what any of us would do for our homes: They would fight! Israel already knew there were giants in the land, for this is one of the things that had made them turn away 40 years earlier; and these giants would not be easily defeated. It was an onerous task that they had before them, and they had already turned away once. Moses wants to encourage them to not turn away again, and he assures them: "The Lord will deliver you...." (vs. 5a NIV). He also reminds them of victories the Lord had already given them: "And the Lord will do to them what he did to Sihon and Og, the kings of the Amorites, whom he destroyed along with their land." (vs. 4 NIV).

What "giant" is in your path at the moment? What "nation" is vying to receive the promises that God has given to you? Is illness standing in the way of His promised joy? Is it loss? Death of a loved one? Of a pet? Financial difficulties? Problems at home? Whatever it is, it is not greater than the giants of Canaan, nor is it stronger than the nations who really didn't wish for Israel to take over their land! Whatever it is, remember:

1. God has already defeated many "giants" and "nations" in your life. Why not take a few moments and reflect on His miracles of the past?

2. The same God who delivered you last time is still on His throne: "The Lord will deliver you...." (vs. 5a NIV)! He will do to your current circumstances the same thing He did for you in the past!

3. The God who loves you so much that He actually died for you, this same God, "...goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Vs. 6b NIV)!

It is interesting that most of this text in Deut. 31 speaks of what the Lord will (or won't!) do. He will go before you, He will deliver you, He will do to them what He did to past circumstances, He will never leave you nor forsake you.... It's all about Him! In fact, there is only one tiny thing we are admonished to do:

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them...." (Deut. 31:6a NIV).

Our only job is to have courage and stand strong, not allowing any see of fear to enter in.

This sounds hard, but if we truly believe the rest of Deut. 31:3-6, it actually becomes quite easy!

Bad circumstances getting you down? Put your trust in the One who has been there for you in the past, the One who promises to never leave you or forsake you, the One who promises to fight your battles and deliver you, and then, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them..." (Deut. 31:6a NIV)!

When I wrote the above devotional, I knew in my heart that God intended the message for someone in particular…. Little did I know that the "someone" was actually...me! Join us on Tuesday for the rest of the story....

In His love,
Lyn

Announcements
When I wrote the above devotional, I knew in my heart that God intended the message for someone in particular…Little did I know that the "someone" was actually...Me! Join us on Tuesday for the rest of the story...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 17 Sep 2020, 9:30 pm

In the final part of our series titled "The Faithful One", we come to the sub-topic:

Faithful Father of the Redeemed in Christ...

In conclusion, let's focus upon our faithful Heavenly Father's dealing with us as Christians. Besides selecting us from times immemorial (See Eph. 1:3-6) for salvation in Christ, He has promised to faithfully shepherd us until we safely reach Heaven, "by sealing us with His Holy Spirit" ("and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us." 2 Cor 1:22 NLT; See also Eph 1:13-14). In our own "ups and downs" of our spiritual walk with Him, as the following Scripture testifies, He always remains faithful...

"if we are faithless, he remains faithful—for he cannot deny himself." (2 Tim 2:13 NLT)
(Hey, let not this Scripture be a license to any licentiousness!!! Beware our Father is also a consuming fire- Heb 10:26-31/12:29)

In response to our Father's immeasurable faithfulness, let's resolve to serve Him faithfully until the very end, be dependant upon His indwelling, empowering Spirit to overcome all the temptations that may come our way (See I John 4:4/Heb. 10:37-38/Rev. 17:14). Amen and Amen.

Prayer: Father, we resolve to put our weak hands into Thy powerful hands and walk. We glorify Thee in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries

Announcements

This is the final part of the mini-series, "The Faithful One". If you have missed any parts of this series, you can access the series by clicking here. Alternatively, you can contact me and I'll send them to you via email. God bless you as you come to know our Faithful Father more and more.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 12 Sep 2020, 11:13 pm

In the third part of our series titled "The Faithful One", we come to the yet another dimension in our meditation, and that is of our Indescribable God being:

Faithful Father of the Nation...

While George Washington and Mahatma Gandhi may be called the Fathers of the Nations of the United States of America and of India, respectively, there is no doubting as to who was the Father of the Nation of Israel, as the following Scripture portion affirms oh-so-beautifully...

"Surely you are still our Father! Even if Abraham and Jacob would disown us, LORD, you would still be our Father..." (Isa 63:16 NLT)

Though the obedience graph of the Jews would show wild swings right from their "conception onwards", so to speak (read Wilderness journey from Egypt to Canaan), the Almighty remained faithful to them by providing for them. A closer scrutiny of the Scriptures would reveal that despite their constant rebellion, none of them died out of hunger or thirst in their 40-year journey, though they did bring a curse of longer stay in the desert upon themselves (See Deut. 29:5). Later on, in the Promised Land -- and outside of it as well when they brought hte curse of exile upon themselves due to willful idol worship -- the Faithful God would continue to care and provide for them (See Jeremiah 29:1-11). He protected them from all kinds of dangers, including a planned, horrific, international genocide. The book of Esther stands as a testament to this truth. Now the same Faithful One has given an assurance that all Jews, even though they now despise Christ, will soon be led to a Christ-oriented salvation: "And so all Israel will be saved." (Romans 11:26a NLT; See also Zech 12:10).

Whilst on the subject of the Lord's faithfulness towards the Jews, consider Jeremiah 29:11, addressed to the Jewish exiles in Babylon: "'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the LORD. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" (Jeremiah 29:11 NLT). Even a cursory reading of this text would make a first-time Bible reader wonder whether the Jews were in Babylon for doing "something good" or doing "something bad". 

When we consider historically how the good Lord brought this prophecy to pass, it would bring us to King Cyrus and the providential events described in Daniel Chapter 5. Before I take one proverbial step ahead, I want to blare out a question: With all the security around the home of a world leader, would it be an easy task to enter and (God forbid, for we should always uphold our leaders in prayer -- See 1 Tim. 2:1-2) kill him or her? 

King Cyrus, who is one of the seven individuals named in the Bible even before his birth, was miraculously aided by the good Lord to bring about the fall of mighty Babylon on the night of revelry of wicked King Belshazzar, perfectly in line with the prophecies of Isaiah:

"who says to the deep, 'Be dry; I will dry up your rivers'; who says of Cyrus, 'He is my shepherd, and he shall fulfil all my purpose'; saying of Jerusalem, 'She shall be built', and of the temple, 'Your foundation shall be laid.'" (Isaiah 44:27-28 ESV)

"Thus says the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to loose the belts of kings, to open doors before him that gates may not be closed..." (Isaiah 45:1 ESV)

For the uninitiated ones on the subject, I intend to say that it would serve them well to read the enlightening Biblical commentaries such as the one of Jamieson, Fausset and Brown or that of Adam Clark on the subject to grasp better the mystifying intricacies of the amazing events of Daniel Chapter 5, for even cursory reading of this Chapter by curious first-time readers would birth in them some logical questions such as:

a) Was King Belshazzar aware of the impending attack of the army of King Cyrus on that "epochal" night? If so, why ould he hold a party on the night of his death?

b) How did King Cyrus cross the Euphrates River which lies between the two kingdoms of Babylon and Medo-Persia oh-so-quickly? Was the prophecy "I would dry up the rivers before King Cyrus" literally fulfilled that night?

c) Who opened up the gates of the imposing Babylonian fort for King Cyrus to enter the City and take the obviously unprepared Babylonian army totally by surprise?

While limitations of time and space may constrain usfrom dealing more elaborately on the above "juicy" questions, what I want to affirm is this: King Cyrus, after being called the Shepherd of the Jews (See Is. 44:28) could only be the "protector and provider" of God's flock (read Jews) referred to in the above prophecy in Jeremiah 29:11.

Just contemplate for a moment: If King Cyrus had broken down the gates, it would have been a "noisy affair" alerting the army on the other side of the gates of the Babylonian Fort on that fateful night before making his entry into the City. They were doubtlessly "miraculously" opened. And Would not "the-now-alerted" Babylonian forces resist Cyrus' army with their own barrage of weapons? And in the ensuing, intermittent "cross fire" of that battle, would not at least some of the innocent Jews (thousands of them were residing in Babylon at the time) have perished? Even today does not "cross-border" firing claim innocent lives? But the Faithful God of Israel ordained the occurrence of events as per His sovereign will, borne out of fathomless wisdom, in such a way that "not one Jew" perished in the "entire take-over" process! If this is not an act of faithfulness by the ever-faithful One towards his not-so-faithful people, then what is it? Hallelujah!

Prayer: Father, Thy Faithfulness is immeasurable. Make us lean on Thee at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries

Join us on Tuesday for "The Faithful One, Part 4" as we explore the similarities given to us in Scripture between King Cyrus and our Lord and Saviour...

Announcements

Follow us now on Twitter: @Answers2P !

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 10 Sep 2020, 8:21 pm

"Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant..." (Deut. 7:9 ESV)

Today in the second part of our series on God's faithfulness, we focus more on the word "covenant" ("berith" in Hebrew). A closer look at the above captioned Scripture portion (at the beginning of this message) would reveal that the words "faithful" and "covenant" are spoken of in the same breath. In fact, where God's faithfulness is, the word covenant, which is based on God's faithfulness, cannot be far off.

Before taking one proverbial step forward at this point, I would like to dwell more on the significance of the word "covenant" while comparing it with the word "contract" in order to better to understand the nuances of the former. The two notable differences between these two almost similar words are as such: While a contract is always between two Parties of equal stature (eg: a Land owner and a building Contractor), a covenant is always between a higher party and a lower party. Two examples of this are as follows:

1) a marriage between a stronger husband and his wife -- a weaker vessel (See Mal. 2:14/1 Peter 3:7)

2) The will of an experienced father being handed over to his not-so-experienced progeny (See Job 42:15)

3) The Prince Jonathan entering into a covenantal pact of friendship with the shepherd boy David (See 1 Sam 18:1-4).

We also need to remember that while a contract stands broken if either of the two contracting parties violate the terms of agreement, a covenant remains intact at all times from the higher party's perspective, in that he always fulfills the terms of the agreement, even if the lower party violates them. One need not go beyond a faithful husband Hosea and his faithful demeanor towards his faithless wife Gomer to better comprehend the meaning of the word Covenant (See Hosea 3:1-3).

To substantiate the above points, I want to bring before my readership the following examples which underscore our Heavenly Father's faithfulness....

Faithful Father of Man...

Yes, Adam, whose Father is God (See Luke 3:38) transgressed the covenant he had with his Father by dealing faithlessly with Him ("But like Adam they transgressed the covenant..." Hosea 6:7 ESV); but his Divine benefactor would not go back in the matter of helping him and his wife in various ways, beginning with:

a) Provision of clothes (See Gen. 3:21);

b) Protection from wild animals (Daniel in the lion's den story would get dwarfed in comparison, for after the fall all the "wild" animal--tigers, bears, elephants, let alone the lions--would all become hostile to our "first parents"); and later on

c) Ensuring safe delivery during childbirth (See Gen. 4:1-2), at a time when there were no midwives (See Gen. 35:17), let alone maternity hospitals.... etc., etc...

In the next part of our series titled "The Faithful God", we shall focus on the sub-heading "Faithful Father of the Nation".

Prayer: Father, we are being sustained by Your faithfulness alone, despite our many limitations. Enable us to lean on Thee at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Yours in His Service,
Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Hyderabad-India

Join us on Saturday for "The Faithful One, Part 3" as we explore how God is the faithful father of the nations!

Announcements

Are you an Instagram fan? Why not follow Answers2Prayer?  

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:35 pm

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 10 Raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=2e9d598e-399b-5e90-1c8f-170001018400&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBbpSVmqVp7Mb1q_UYn7twkRB1-qIdDQsPsbO8JXArPhA02Acmnr9mgmTGCL79S-UbQGYHG5zZROOYeWZBW-NzAx

"Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant…" (Deu 7:9 ESV)

First things first....

(Notice that the letter "F" will be used frequently in this message…)

What is the chief and highest end of man?

Let the revered Christian book, namely the Westminster Catechism, give the answer; Man's chief and highest end is to glorify (worship) God, and fully to enjoy him forever.

When it comes to glorifying Him and fully enjoying Him, let it be said that the entire exercise ought to be "absolutely genuine emanating right from the innermost core of one's being" (read spirit).

This would lead to the next question: How could the process of glorifying God originate right from the depths of one's heart? It is only possible when a person is truly fascinated by His unique traits. Remember, worshipping God for what He is, is the highest form of worship, standing head and shoulders above other forms of worship. Remember that other forms of worship, such as worshipping Him for the blessings He showers upon us, all come with strings attached!

While on the subject, at this stage it would serve us well to look at a synonym of the word "glorify", namely "magnify". When, one magnifies Him, that is to say, when one keenly observes His Divine nature with a magnifying glass as it were, the "spiritual explorer" in you is bound to come across several unique attributes of the Almighty. lThese will evoke awe, and in turn, lead to spontaneous, heart-felt worship and praise. 

In this 5-part series, I would like to bring before my readership one definite attribute of the Almighty -- one which at once evokes awe in me: He is, as the above-captioned Scripture emphasizes, a "faithful One". In Hebrew the word used to describe the faithful God is EL EMUNAH (pronounced E-Ma-Nah). One may well say that His signature of faithfulness is seen vividly in all of His dealings with men, beginning with Adam. Going with the ebb and flow of this message on the topic of our Lord's faithfulness, I have also attempt the following:

a) To reconstruct the events of Daniel 5, where we would see the overthrow of the mighty Babylonian Empire by the Medo-Persian King Cyrus, in line with the prophecy uttered just a few hours earlier (See Daniel 5:24-30), while b) bringing out some similarities between King Cyrus and Christ.

At this stage, it would also serve us well to look at the Hebrew and Greek words employed for describing faithfulness: "Emunah" and "Pistis" respectively. These mean loyalty or steadfastness. It is His infinite loyalty that binds the Eternal One into an eternal relationship with his prized creation, Mankind.

Prayer: Father, we your children, despite our many limitations are being sustained by Your faithfulness alone. Enable us to trust Thee at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Yours in His Service,
Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Hyderabad-India

Join us on Thursday for "The Faithful One, Part 2" as we explore the relationship between "faithfulness" and "covenant"!

Announcements

Good news! Answers2Prayer now has a presence on Instagram! Follow us on Answers2Prayer! 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 05 Sep 2020, 10:22 pm

I had just finished editing a paper for my younger son. It had started out as a 12 page paper; but by the end, it was down to only 10....

This must have been hard on my son. I know from being on the other end of the manuscript that it is incredibly hard when someone edits your work and suggests cuts. You tend to develop an affinity of sorts with the words you've written, and it is kind of like someone suggesting that you get rid of one of your kids! Nonetheless, an author tends to be too close to a manuscript to be able to accurately identify the redundancies and things that detract from the subject at hand.

It is the same in our Christian lives. When we accept Christ as our Lord and Saviour, there is usually lots of our carnal lives still hanging around: "I know that in me [that is, in my flesh] nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find." (Romans 7:18 NKJV). What Paul is referring to is our carnal nature that we inherit from our fallen parents. This includes temper, irritability, jealousy, pride, selfishness and criticism, to name just a few. We, however, are far too close to ourselves to identify that those things aren't needed any longer, that they are redundant, that they, perhaps, take away from the lives-in-Christ that we desire to lead... 

What we need is an editor!

Fortunately for us, God has just what we need in the form of the Holy Spirit: "And when he comes, he will convict the world of its sin...." (John 16:8a NLT).

It is the job of the Holy Spirit to point out to us where there are areas of our lives that need to be "edited" out.

But wait. We don't like it when someone says something in our lives should be "edited out"!

Let's look at the next line of John 16:8: "And when he comes, he will convict the world of ... of God's righteousness...." (John 16:8b NLT)

When the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin, He also convicts us of the righteousness of God, the same righteousness that we have been given as a gift when we exchange His perfection for our sin. By contemplating that perfect righteousness of God, that same righteousness that covers our ugly sinful nature, it makes us want to have less "ugly stuff" to cover up! Thus, besides convicting us of sin, the Holy Spirit places in our hearts the desire to be more like Jesus, and this will make us want to do away with those unnecessary and perhaps damaging parts of our character.

But wait.... When someone edits out my work, it leaves me feeling bad, like maybe I shouldn't have written that piece in the first place. Is that how we should feel when the Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin and puts the desire in our hearts to be rid of them? Should we feel condemned?

There is just one more line in John 16:8: "And when he comes, he will convict the world ... of the coming judgment." (John 16:8c NLT). Jesus goes on to explain what He means about the coming judgment in vs. 11: "Judgment will come because the ruler of this world has already been judged." (John 16:11 NLT). What this means, then, is that we who have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Saviour need not fear the upcoming judgment. We don't need to worry about the fact that we sinned in the first place. We can rest assured that because the ruler of the world has already been judged, we can have peace in the judgment seat.

Let's remember the opening words of Romans 8: "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death." (vs. 1-2 NLT)

Yes, there is a Celestial editor, the Holy Spirit. He will gently show us the sin that still pollutes our lives. He will quietly convict us that we need to get rid of that sin, and at the same time, He will softly remind us that there is no condemnation and that we can have peace in the face of judgment, because the ruler of the world has already been judged!

Celestial editor? Bring Him on!

In His love,
Lyn

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 03 Sep 2020, 9:44 pm

Having just put in a flower bed, my husband and I were looking for affordable cedars to plant it with. After pricing them at nearby nurseries, we finally decided on some that were 15$ per tree. They were bare-root, and the four-foot trees looked more like buggy whips than anything else; but we realized we were destined to either pay more than we could afford or have 'buggy whips' in our new border bed. Compared to the price we'd have to pay elsewhere, we figured the trees would grow.

On a whim, I went on an internet website dedicated towards helping in the exchange of goods. I typed in "White Cedars" into the search bar, and you can imagine my pleasant surprise when my search came up with a private nursery nearby that had beautiful trees in pots for 8$ apiece....

It all made me think. So often when we look at the facts in front of us, we tend to take them at face value. It is what it is. And just like we had resigned ourselves to ugly trees because we couldn't afford to pay for nicer ones, we look at the circumstances life has landed in our laps, and though we don't like them, we know we have to learn to live with them. And so we proceed, slipping deeper and deeper into the 'buggy whips' of worry and despair, anger and fear, regret and depression....

But we didn't just accept those 'buggy whip' cedars at face value. We proceeded to search farther, and in the end, we found something much better and much more affordable.

True enough, life's circumstances are far uglier than those 'buggy whips' that paraded as cedar trees.... And of course, we certainly had the option of not buying trees at all, whereas we aren't usually given a choice about the circumstances.... And our research did lead us to something that wasn't painful at all, something that is impossible with life's circumstances.... So what comfort is this?

Just this: Though we can't just choose to not go through troubled times, and though there are no different, less painful option, there is something we can choose to do: We can choose to let God be in charge of our circumstances. We can choose to rejoice in Him--despite the circumstances, and we can choose to leave the future in HIS hands, not our own!

I received some bad news this week. I saw a specialist who suggested that many of the problems I'm experiencing at the moment may actually be the early signs of MS. Needless to say, I left the office in tears.

God got through to me, however, as I was getting on the local highway. He reminded me that I could have chosen to buy those expensive, ugly trees; but instead, I found something much better and cheaper. He then put it in my mind that in the same way, I could choose to take this particular set of circumstances at face value, or I could seek something better. He suggested to me that my joy isn't tied up in good health, but rather, it comes from being in HIS presence. He called to my mind Neh. 8:10b: "Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." (NIV) Then He took it one step farther.... He showed me that my tears were rooted in fear of what might happen in the future, and He assured me that He, and not some obscure medical diagnosis, is in charge of my future. Then came the final reminder: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NIV) No matter what the future might bring, my God will never leave me or forsake me. MS or no, He will walk with me every step of the way. And if I let Him, His joy will be my strength.

I choose the cheaper trees. I choose to live in the moment, drawing my joy from His presence. I choose to let Him be in charge of my future, ever knowing that no matter what may come, He will walk with me, and His joy will be my strength!

Expensive 'buggy whip' cedars?

No thanks! I'm going for the pretty kind that saves me money...

What about you? Will it be expensive, ugly trees of worry and anger and despair? Or will you let God help carry you through whatever it is you face?

In His love,
Lyn

P.S. In the end, further medical testing ruled out any likelihood of Multiple Sclerosis...

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcements

If you enjoy The Nugget, encourage someone to subscribe. We also encourage you to share The Nuggets with others as well, as long as you do so without charging, and as long as you credit Scriptural Nuggets as your source.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next