World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Israel Reserve Soldiers killed
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 10:18 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 10:11 pm by Admin

» Open letter Jewish COLLEGE STUDENTS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 9:42 pm by Admin

» Historic Milestone Saudi Arabia-Israel stability
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 9:08 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 5:36 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 5:19 pm by Admin

» PRO TRUTH of Israel what Pro PA want
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 4:59 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 4:19 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 11:56 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 11:44 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 11:19 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 11:09 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 11:05 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 10:59 pm by Admin

» iNSPIRATIONAL DEVOTION Israel
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 10:38 pm by Admin

» THE FREE PRESS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 5:52 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 4:40 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 4:37 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 4:24 pm by Admin

» Jewish History~ WHO DOES IT BELONG TO
Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024, 4:22 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Page 23 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32 ... 41  Next

Go down

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 Empty Re: Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Post  Admin Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:45 pm

By Billy Graham, Tribune Media Services
What Good is God if He Can't Relieve My Pain?
Q: I have terrible pain all the time from a bad back, and the doctors can't seem to do anything about it (except to prescribe strong drugs, which I don't want to get hooked on). What good is God to me, if He won't relieve my pain? Is it wrong for me to ask Him to take it away? -- J. McS.

A: No, it isn't wrong for you to ask God to bring healing to your body and take away your pain. Chronic pain is a terrible burden, and the Bible encourages us to bring all our burdens to God in prayer.

But if your pain stays with you, I urge you not to get angry with God or turn away from Him in bitterness or disappointment. Instead, I pray that your pain will cause you to turn toward God and draw closer to Him, so you can discover His strength and presence. In spite of your present feelings about Him, God has not abandoned you; He loves you and wants to encourage you. The Bible's promise is true: "The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth" (Psalm 145:18).

Think of it this way. In your letter, you mentioned that you are married, and although your wife can't take away your pain, her presence has been a source of great comfort and encouragement to you. In a similar way, knowing that God cares for you and is constantly with you will bring you great comfort and encouragement.

Bring your burdens -- including your pain -- to Jesus, and ask Him to encourage you and help you keep your eyes on eternity. The Bible says, "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall" (Psalm 55:22).

========

Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.

(c)2012 BILLY GRAHAM DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Questions and Answers By Billy Graham - Page 23 Empty Re: Questions and Answers By Billy Graham

Post  Admin Tue 16 Oct 2012, 4:43 pm

Can The Bible Be Used to Explain Anything?
Q: I'm sure people like you are sincere when you quote the Bible to support your views, but I think you can prove anything from the Bible if you try hard enough. I've even heard that you can "prove" from the Bible that the devil is a Christian. Is this true? -- Mrs. C.G.

A: No, it isn't true; not one word in the Bible can be twisted to suggest the devil is actually a disciple or follower of Jesus.

The opposite is the case, in fact; the Bible says Satan is God's enemy, and is constantly looking for ways to destroy God's people (see 1 Peter 5:8). He and his agents believe God exists and know what He is like -- but their belief will never save them, because they refuse to commit their lives to Him. The Bible says, "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that -- and shudder" (James 2:19).

It's true people can ignore or distort what the Bible clearly teaches, trying to make it say something it doesn't actually say. But the Bible is God's Word -- and because of that, we can trust what it says. When we approach it prayerfully and with an open heart and mind, God will help us understand it. The Bible says, "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless" (Psalm 18:30).

I can't help but wonder, however, why you've asked this question. Is it because you are trying to find an excuse to keep God out of your life? Don't turn your back on Him, but discover instead the riches He has for you in His Word. Most of all, discover the riches He has for you in Jesus Christ, who gave His life so you could become part of His family forever.

========

Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

When Bad Things Happen, Is it God's Punishment?
Q: When something bad happens to us, is it because we've done something wrong and God is punishing us for it? Where does evil come from anyway? -- L.D.

A: We honestly don't always know why evil things happen. The Bible says evil is real -- but it also says that its true nature is often hidden from us, and sometimes that's all we can say (see 2 Thessalonians 2:7).

The Bible doesn't teach, however, that whenever something bad happens to us, God is punishing us for something we've done wrong. God isn't a harsh, mean policeman who is just waiting for us to get out of line so He can punish us -- not at all. God loves us, and even when hard times come to us, we can turn to Him for the strength and comfort we need. The Bible says, "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love" (Psalm 145:8).

Does this mean we can sin all we want to and never suffer any consequences? No, of course not. Sin always contains within it its own punishment. If I ignore God's laws about healthy life, I'll suffer the consequences; if I flaunt His commandments about moral living, I'll suffer the consequences. When this happens, I alone am responsible for the bad things that result from my sinful behavior; I can't blame God. The Bible warns, "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows" (Galatians 6:7).

The good news is that God has provided the way -- not only for our sins to be forgiven, but for us to experience a new life. That way is Jesus Christ. Accept His gifts of forgiveness and newness of life by asking Him to come into your heart today.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 14 Oct 2012, 6:40 pm

How Can We Keep Trusting God When Nothing Seems to Change?
Q: I know we're supposed to trust God when hard times come, but how can we keep trusting God when nothing seems to change? My husband lost his job two years ago, and it's really been a trying time for us. -- Mrs. K.W.

A: Your question points to a very real problem that I suspect we've all experienced in one way or another. It's this: It's easy to believe that God loves us and cares about us when things are going well, but when life turns against us, it becomes much harder to believe He cares.

Why should we keep trusting in God, even when nothing seems to change, and it looks like He isn't even listening? One reason is because no matter how many changes have taken place in our lives, God has not changed. The Bible's statement is true: "I the Lord do not change" (Malachi 3:6).

And if God doesn't change, then that means His promises don't change, either. He promised to be with you in the past -- and He still is. He promised to guide you in the past -- and He still will. Know His promises... study His promises... believe His promises... and trust His promises. In the Bible "he has given us his very great and precious promises" (2 Peter 1:4).

We live in difficult economic times, and we all need to pray for those who are struggling because they have lost their jobs. We also need to pray for our nation's political and business leaders. But pray especially for your own family, that you won't get discouraged but will be open to whatever God has for you right now (even job retraining or volunteer work). Don't let your faith be overcome by your circumstances, but let your circumstances be overcome by your faith.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:08 am

Did Man Actually Create God?
Q: I don't think God created us; I think that we created God. People thousands of years ago just made up the idea of God, so they could explain the things they didn't understand. But we don't need God now, because science answers all our questions. -- L.W.

A: I'm thankful for all the discoveries and insights science has given us. Many of us (including me) wouldn't even be alive today if it weren't for advances in medicine and other branches of science.

But science doesn't answer all our questions, nor can it ever do so -- because some of life's most basic questions are outside its scope. For example, scientists can speculate on how the universe was formed, but they can't tell us the reason why it was formed. Nor can they tell us why we're here, or how we should live, or what will happen to us when we die. In other words, science is limited; it can tell us what happens, but it can't tell us the reason why it happens.

Only God can give us the answer to these questions -- and has done so in the book He has given us, the Bible. I realize you may laugh at this right now, but have you ever read the Bible for yourself with an open mind and heart?

I invite you to do so -- and when you do, you'll discover not only that God exists, but also that He loves us and wants to come into our lives. More than that, you'll discover who Jesus is, and that in Him "are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Colossians 2:3). Don't let pride or anything else keep you from Him, because He alone can give us the answer to life's deepest questions -- both for this life, and the life to come.

========

Does Life Have Any Purpose?
Q: Does life have any purpose? My friends all say the only purpose in life is to have a good time. But I've tried that, and if I'm honest I'd have to admit my life is kind of empty. Is this all there is to life? -- R.N.

A: No, this isn't all there is to life -- no matter what your friends say. In fact, living only for ourselves and our own pleasures is a dead-end road that will never bring us lasting happiness -- as you've discovered.

But God has given us another way -- and my prayer is that you will have the courage to find it and follow it, because it alone gives lasting meaning and purpose to our lives. What is that way? It is the way of Jesus, putting Him (instead of ourselves) at the center of our lives, and learning to trust Him and follow Him wherever He leads us. The Psalmist put it this way: "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand" (Psalm 16:11).

Begin by facing honestly your need of God. He made you, and He alone knows what is best for you. Then by a simple act of faith ask Jesus Christ to come into your life and make you His child forever. God loves you, and life's greatest joy comes from knowing Him and living for Him. God's promise is for you: "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Then ask God to lead you to a church where you can grow closer to Christ and discover what it means to follow Him every day.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 10 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

Is It Too Later for Me to Learn About God?
Q: I don't know anything about God, but I'd like to learn if I can. Or is it too late (I'm in my 50s)? Maybe I should have started when I was a child, but my family didn't want anything to do with religion. -- P. McG.

A: No, it's never too late for you (or anyone else) to discover who God is and what He wants to do in your life -- not at all. Moses was about 80 years old when he first met God, while tending sheep in the middle of the Sinai wilderness (see Acts 7:23-30).

And God wants you to discover who He is, because He loves you and wants you to love Him in return. In fact, He actually has put within your mind and heart this desire you have to learn about Him. He wouldn't have done that if He didn't care about you or want you to come to know Him.

How can you learn about God? The key is to understand that God isn't hiding from us. Instead, He has done everything He can to make Himself known to us; all we need to do is look for Him in the right place. How has He made Himself known? One way is through the world He's created. As the Bible says, "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands" (Psalm 19:1).

But we learn about God most of all through Jesus Christ -- because He was God in human flesh. Get a modern translation of the Bible, and read through one of the Gospels (I suggest John). When you do, you'll discover just how much God loves you, and that He wants to welcome you into His family. Then ask Him to come into your life -- and He will.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

Why Should We Bother With Missions?
Q: Two doctors in our church are going to work for a month at a mission hospital in Africa, but I can't help but wonder if it's really worthwhile. After all, once they come back things over there won't really be any different, will they? Why bother? -- Mrs. S.G.

A: I'm very thankful these doctors are willing to sacrifice their time and money to serve Christ in this way. Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me" (Matthew 25:40).

And yes, it's worthwhile for them to go, even if it's only for a short time. Many mission hospitals provide the only modern medical care within hundreds of square miles; my wife Ruth's father, Dr. L. Nelson Bell, served for 25 years in just such a facility. Often their greatest need is for more doctors and nurses. My son Franklin's organization, Samaritan's Purse, has arranged for hundreds of doctors to serve in mission hospitals through its World Medical Mission unit.

Will things be any different there once the visiting doctors return? Certainly it will be for the people they help -- people who otherwise might have stayed sick, or even died. Visiting physicians also often help the permanent staff learn about the latest advances in medicine. In addition, I strongly suspect that these doctors will come back with a new understanding of what God is doing in the world, and a deeper commitment to missions.

Jesus healed many during His time here. But He didn't heal everyone, nor did He banish all sickness and disease from the earth. Some day, He promised, this will happen, but in the meantime, you and I are called to do whatever we can to bring hope and healing in His name to those around us.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:46 pm

How Much Faith Do I Need Before God Accepts Me?
Q: How much faith do I have to have before God will accept me? I admit my faith isn't very strong, but the little faith I do have is sincere. -- J.W.N.

A: One of the Bible's greatest truths is that God accepts us just as we are when we turn to Christ in faith -- even if our faith is small. Jesus told His disciples, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed.... Nothing will be impossible for you" (Matthew 17:20).

Do you remember the man who asked Jesus to heal his son, who had been afflicted with seizures and other problems since childhood? The man admitted his faith was weak and he wasn't even sure Jesus could do anything -- but Jesus assured him He could, if the man would only believe. The Bible says that "Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, 'I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!'" (Mark 9:24). Although the man's faith was weak, Jesus still healed the boy -- and the man's faith grew stronger.

Notice two things about this man. First, although his faith was weak, it was in the right person. Is your faith in Jesus, and in Him alone for your salvation? He came into the world for one reason: to bridge the gap between us and God -- a gap caused by our sin. He did this by becoming the final and complete sacrifice for our sins through His death on the cross.

Then notice that the man sincerely wanted a stronger faith -- and his faith grew as he was with Jesus. Don't be satisfied with a weak faith that comes and goes, but grow stronger in your faith by meeting with Jesus every day -- reading the Bible (which is God's Word), praying, worshiping and fellowshipping with other believers.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:25 pm

Do the Dead Sea Scrolls Contradict the Bible?
Q: Recently, I read an interesting magazine article about the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls over half a century ago. Do they contradict what the Bible says? The article didn't say anything about this. -- B.H.

A: The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (which were found some years ago in a series of small caves overlooking the Dead Sea in the Holy Land) remains one of the most important archeological events in recent history.

Scholars have concluded that most of the scrolls date from a century or so before Christ, and they include portions of almost all of the books of the Old Testament. One of the most important scrolls contains the complete book of Isaiah (one of the longest books in the Old Testament); others contain major parts of the Psalms. Only small fragments have survived from some of the other books, however. Why the scrolls were hidden away isn't known, but their owners probably feared that they were about to be destroyed by an invading enemy.

No, the Dead Sea Scrolls do not contradict the Bible; in fact, the opposite is the case. Remember: Printing had not been invented in those days. Books therefore had to be laboriously copied by hand, and special precautions had to be taken to prevent errors from creeping in. The Dead Sea Scrolls vividly illustrate that those precautions were successful, so you can trust that the Bible you hold in your hand today is accurate.

Throughout the centuries, tyrants and fanatics have done their best to destroy the Bible -- but without success. Don't ever take your Bible for granted, but treasure it and read it and make its truth part of your life every day. Remember Jesus' promise: "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away" (Luke 21:33).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm

How Can I Get My Husband to Believe in Jesus?
Q: How can I get my husband to believe in Jesus? He's a good person, and I think he believes that's all it will take to get him into heaven. But whenever I try to tell him he needs to give his life to Jesus, we just end up arguing. -- Mrs. K.F.

A: My wife, Ruth, liked to quote a homely old saying that she'd heard once: "More flies are caught with honey than with vinegar" -- then she'd add, "and more people are drawn to Jesus by love than by arguing." And it's true.

Don't misunderstand me; I'm grateful for your concern for your husband's eternal salvation. But only God can open the eyes of his heart and help him see his need of Jesus Christ. That's why your first responsibility is to pray consistently for your husband, asking God to move in his heart by the Holy Spirit. God can do what we cannot do -- and that includes convicting someone of their sin and drawing them to Christ. Jesus said, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:44).

In addition, ask God to help you be a witness by your life. What difference has Jesus Christ made in the way you live? Does your husband see Christ in you? Is the fruit of the Spirit evident to him? The Bible says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" (Galatians 5:22-23). Make these your goal.

Often the hardest people to talk to about our faith are those who are nearest to us. But God loves your husband, so trust Him to answer your prayers -- in His time.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:31 pm

Is it Wrong to Have Doubts?
Q: Is it wrong to have doubts from time to time? Most of the time, my faith is fairly strong, but occasionally something happens that makes me question my faith, and then I'll wonder if it's really true. Is God upset with me for this? -- Mrs. M.R.

A: God would only be upset at you if you didn't do anything to resolve your doubts and become stronger in your faith.

In other words, some people (I've found) almost enjoy having doubts, and they use them as an excuse to keep God out of their lives. Instead of seeking answers to their questions, they like to parade their doubts before others, and allow their doubts to eat away at their faith. But others treat doubt the way it should be treated -- turning it over to God, and using it as an opportunity to grow stronger in their faith.

I often think of Thomas, who was one of Jesus' closest disciples. After Jesus was crucified, Thomas' faith was almost destroyed, and he felt hopeless. When others reported that Jesus had been raised from the dead, Thomas refused to believe it (and as a result he came to be known as "doubting Thomas"). But Thomas was willing to have his doubts answered, and so he stayed with the other disciples -- and was present the next time Jesus appeared. His doubts fled, and he immediately responded, "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28).

Don't let circumstances or anything else fill you with doubt. Instead, make the Bible (which is God's Word) your daily companion. Then when doubts come you can overcome them with the truth of God's Word. The Bible says, "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him" (Proverbs 30:5).

========

Why is Jesus So Important?
Q: Why should someone who lived 2,000 years ago make any difference to us today? I know Jesus was supposed to be a great man, but there have been lots of notable people since then, so why is He so important? -- C.T.

A: If Jesus were just another notable person, then you might be right. After all, Jesus never commanded an army or exercised great political power. And yet no other individual has had such a profound impact on human society.

Why is this? The reason is because Jesus was more than just another great man. The Bible tells us that He also was God in human flesh -- that is, He was both fully man and fully God. He came into this world to show us what God is like, and He also came to tear down the barrier between us and God -- a barrier caused by our sin. The Bible says, "No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known" (John 1:18).

Over the centuries, millions have believed this about Jesus and have committed their lives to Him -- and when they have, their lives have been transformed. Love has replaced hate; compassion has replaced indifference; sacrificial service has replaced greed. And because their lives have been transformed, society itself has been transformed as they sought to make the world a better place.

Our greatest need is to know God and do His will -- and this is your greatest need as well. Don't be satisfied with anything less, but by faith ask Christ to come into your life and change you from within. Like millions of others, you too can discover that "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 02 Oct 2012, 11:36 am

Does God Still Speak in an Audible Voice?
Q: Does God ever speak to people today in a voice they can hear, like He did in Bible times? I know my faith would be stronger if He'd just speak like that to me. -- A. McM.

A: It's true that in Bible times God spoke occasionally to people in an audible voice (although it wasn't common). And occasionally He still may do so (especially to people who live in places where the Bible is unknown).

But we don't need to wait for God to speak to us in a voice we can hear -- because He has already recorded His words for us in the Bible. God is not silent; He has told us everything we need to know about Him -- and it's been written down in the pages of the Bible. In other words, we don't need to wait around, hoping God may decide to speak to us some day. All we need to do is open the Bible and discover the message He has for us.

What is His message? First, He wants to tell us that He is real, and that He created us so we can know Him and have a personal relationship with Him. He also wants to tell us that He loves us. In fact, He loves us so much that 2,000 years ago He came to live among us in the person of Jesus Christ, who gave His life for us. In addition, He wants us to know that we can be His children, and can live with Him forever by committing our lives to Jesus.

By faith commit your life to Christ. Then make the Bible the foundation of your faith -- for through its pages you'll discover God's truth for yourself. The Bible says, "All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal" (Psalm 119:160).

========

Why Should I Believe in the Afterlife?
Q: I don't believe that once I die there's going to be anything more. To me, believing in heaven (or for that matter, hell) is just indulging in wishful thinking. This life is all we've got, so we might as well enjoy it and not worry about some kind of afterlife. -- L.K.

A: Have you ever asked yourself if you might be the one who's indulging in wishful thinking? After all, your email suggests that you don't want anything to interfere with the self-centered life you're now living -- but has this caused you to shut your mind to any thought of eternity?

Why do I believe there is life after death -- either in heaven with God, or in that place of absolute loneliness and despair the Bible calls hell? First, I believe it because this is a universal cry of the human heart. Down inside, we all sense that this life is not all there is, and that some day all the injustice and pain of this life will be made right. The Bible says that God "has also set eternity in the hearts of men" (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

But the main reason I know there is life beyond the grave is because of Jesus Christ. By His death and resurrection He destroyed death's power and opened heaven's door for us. His promise is true: "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies" (John 11:25).

Don't turn your back on God's promise of heaven, but face your need for Him, repent of your sins, and turn your life over to Jesus Christ. The greatest tragedy anyone can ever experience is to come to the end of life, and find that they are not prepared for eternity.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:32 pm

How Often Should I Pray?

Q: How often should I pray? I try to pray every day, and I know I ought to, but sometimes I don't get around to it because I'm preoccupied with other things. Maybe that's wrong, but it's the way I am. -- P.L.B.

A: One of the Bible's greatest truths is that God not only exists, but He actually wants to have a personal relationship with us. And prayer is one of the ways He's given us to strengthen that relationship.

In other words, don't look on prayer as a burden or obligation; instead, look on it as a privilege. Just imagine: The God who created the whole universe wants to welcome you into His presence -- and that is exactly what happens when we pray! If Jesus felt the need to pray, how much more should we.

Remember: Prayer is possible because God sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to tear down the barrier that exists between us and God -- a barrier caused by our sin. Because of Christ's death and resurrection for us, the Bible says, "we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand" (Romans 5:2).

Make sure of your commitment to Jesus Christ. Then thank Him that He loves you so much that He wants you to talk with Him through your prayers. Set aside time to pray every day -- but in addition, learn to pray throughout the day, thanking God for the good things He brings into your life. Pray also when you (and others you know) are facing problems or decisions, for you need His help. The Bible says, "In everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving , present your requests to God" (Philippians 4:6).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 28 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

Is God Mad At Me For Not Reading the Bible?
Q: I know you keep telling people to read their Bibles, and I've tried, but I don't get anything out of it. I never was much of a reader anyway, and it's just too big. Is God going to be mad at me? -- Mrs. E. McN.

A: No, I don't think God is going to be mad at you if you don't read your Bible, but He is going to be sad, because He won't have the opportunity to have fellowship with you through its pages and become your good friend.

Think of it like this. Suppose you want someone to be your friend (and they want to be your friend also), what do you have to do? You have to spend time with them -- talking with them, listening to them, and just getting to know them. And in a far greater way, the same is true with God. He loves us and wants to be our friend, but that means we need to get to know Him by talking to Him and listening to Him.

That's why the Bible is so important, for it is God's written Word, given to us so we can listen to Him. In it He tells us about Himself, and also how He wants us to live. The Bible says, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

Don't be intimidated by the Bible's size, or by anything else about it. Instead, begin by reading a small part of it each day. Start, for example, with a few paragraphs from one of the Gospels, or from Psalms (and in a translation you can understand). Read it carefully, thoughtfully, and prayerfully, asking God to help you understand it and apply it to your life. God will bless you through it.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 27 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

Are the Ten Commandments Still Viable?
Q: I suppose the Ten Commandments seemed like a good idea several thousand years ago, but time moves on, and we live in a different world. We need to live by our own rules and not be bound by the past. -- D.S.W.

A: Let me ask you a question: Have you ever actually read the Ten Commandments for yourself, and then tried to imagine what the world would be like if everyone followed them? If not, I hope you'll do so (you'll find them in the Old Testament book of Exodus, chapter 20, verses 1-17).

If you do, I think you'll be surprised to discover just how up-to-date they are. Even if you ignore the commandments that deal with our relationship with God (although I hope you won't), the others tell us how to get along with each other -- and they're just as powerful and practical today as they were over 3,000 years ago. Wouldn't we be better off if no one ever stole, or murdered, or lied, or broke the promises they'd made, or was driven by greed? Of course we would.

To put it another way, which of the Ten Commandments would you eliminate? I don't know what you'd say -- but I suspect you'd probably eliminate the one that calls us to be sexually pure and faithful to our spouse. It says very simply, "You shall not commit adultery" (Exodus 20:14). But in reality so-called sexual "freedom" is actually sexual slavery, and it'll never give us the security and happiness we seek.

God gave the Ten Commandments to us -- and He did so because He loves us and wants us to have peace instead of chaos. My prayer is that you will reexamine the foundation on which your life is being built, and build it instead on Jesus Christ.

========

Will My Faith in God Make Me Rich?
Q: My neighbor says that if I just have enough faith, then God will make me rich. Is she right? When I pointed out that it didn't seem to have worked for her, she said it's because her faith isn't strong enough yet. -- Mrs. M.V.

A: I don't doubt your neighbor's sincerity, and I commend her for wanting to have a stronger faith -- but this isn't what the Bible promises. It's true that in the Bible God gave great wealth to some of His servants (such as Abraham and Job), and occasionally He still does. But this is the exception, not the rule.

After all, no one had greater faith than Jesus -- because He was the Son of God who lived in unbroken fellowship with His Father. But was Jesus wealthy? No, not at all. He came from a humble family; Mary and Joseph were so poor they couldn't even afford the normal sacrifice of a lamb when Jesus was born (see Luke 2:22-24). Later, during His public ministry He said, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head" (Matthew 8:20).

But God does promise us a different kind of wealth when we follow Jesus -- wealth of the spirit. He promises us the "wealth" of forgiveness, and the "wealth" of His presence. He also gives us the "wealth" of His promises -- and especially His promise to take us to heaven when we die. No wonder the Apostle Paul exclaimed, "O the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" (Romans 11:33).

The most important question, however, is this: Have you discovered these riches for yourself? By faith give your life to Christ, and then thank Him for giving you the greatest gift of all -- the gift of salvation.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

Should We Change Churches?
Q: We just moved to a new town, and the church we've started attending is urging everyone to join a small group Bible study. But we don't know much about the Bible, and I'm afraid we'd just make fools of ourselves. Should we change churches? -- Mrs. J.F.

A: Don't let your fears drive you away from this church. In fact, God may have led you to this particular church so you can learn more about the Bible -- and about Him. The Bible urges us to "desire the pure milk of the word (of God), that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2, NKJV).

You may not know much about the Bible, but others in the group probably don't either, and a small group Bible study can be an excellent place to learn. In any case, don't be afraid to admit your lack of knowledge; those who take the Bible's message seriously won't want to embarrass you but help you. I hope you'll take this as a God-given opportunity, and enter into it with a sense of adventure and expectancy.

Even if you don't decide to join one of these groups right now, make it your goal to learn more about the Bible -- through sermons you hear, through gifted Bible teachers, and through your own reading of the Bible. The Bible is God's Word, given to us so we can come to know God and how much He loves us. Can you think of anything more important?

Don't be content to be a "pew-sitter" -- someone who just attends church but never allows God's Word to enter their hearts and change them. Instead, commit your lives to Jesus Christ, and then ask Him to help you "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18).

========

Where Can I Learn More About Politics and Religion?
Q: My parents always said there were two things you shouldn't talk about -- politics and religion. Well, they never did, but now I'm an adult, and I don't have any idea what to believe. Where can I turn? -- J.I.

A: I'm sorry your parents never helped you discover who God is or why He is important. Perhaps their parents did the same -- but whatever the reason, I hope you won't do this with your own children. The Bible says, "Teach them to your children and to their children after them" (Deuteronomy 4:9).

The most important thing I can tell you is that God loves you, and He wants you not only to believe in Him, but also to come to know Him as your friend. How do we know this? We know it because He has demonstrated it to us a multitude of ways. Have you ever thought about the gift of life that God has given you? Have you ever considered the beauty and glory of the world He created? He didn't need to make it this way -- but He did, and He did it so we could enjoy it.

But God has shown His love for us an even deeper way, by coming down to earth in the person of Jesus Christ. Do you want to know what God is like? Look at Jesus, for He was God in human flesh. And when you do, you'll realize just how much God loves you, for He gave His life to save you from your sins.

Don't drift around any longer in a fog of unbelief. Instead, turn to Jesus and invite Him to come into your life. Then ask Him to guide you to a church where you can learn about Him and His will for your life.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 22 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

If I Died Right Now Would I Go to Heaven?
Q: I supposedly gave my life to God when I was a teenager, and at the time I was very sincere about it. But eventually I drifted away and I know I haven't been living the way I should. If I died right now, do you think I'd still go to heaven? -- D. McG.

A: Only God knows how sincere your commitment was as a teenager, and whether or not you truly gave your life to Christ. Jesus warned us about the dangers of apparently welcoming the Word of God into our lives, then allowing "the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful" (Mark 4:19).

But in reality, this isn't the issue, because the question you need to face is this: What does God want me to do with my life right now? The answer is plain: He wants you to turn from your sins and your old ways of living, and commit your life without reserve to Jesus Christ. He doesn't just want you to clean up your life (although that's important); He wants you to put your faith and trust in Jesus Christ, and completely turn your life over to Him.

What keeps you from doing this? Only you can answer that question, but I hope you'll face it honestly. Is it a particular sin? Is it a wrong relationship you know you'll have to give up? Or is it simply a desire to run your own life?

Whatever the reason, don't gamble with your eternal destiny, and don't let another day go by without Christ. The Bible's warning is clear: "How shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation?" (Hebrews 2:3).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:29 pm

What Can You Do With Someone Who Refuses to Listen to Advice?
Q: What can you do with someone who refuses to listen to advice? My cousin just moved in with a woman he barely knows and says they're going to get married. Everyone in the family keeps telling him it isn't going to work because she's very self-centered, with children by different men, but he won't listen. -- Mrs. E.K.

A: If someone adamantly refuses to listen to advice from people who are older and wiser, then there may not be much you can do about it -- except to pray.

I'm reminded of the people of Jeremiah's day, who refused to listen to his repeated attempts to get them to turn back to God. They told him, "It's no use. We will continue with our own plans; each of us will follow the stubbornness of his evil heart" (Jeremiah 18:12). But Jeremiah kept on preaching -- and as you and others in your family have opportunity, you should keep on expressing your concern.

At the same time, let your cousin know that even if you don't agree with his decision, you still love him, and you want what's best for him. After all, his marriage may turn out better than anyone expects, and if so, he needs to know he's still part of your family. And if it doesn't last, he'll need your love and encouragement. The prodigal son left home against his father's will, but the father still loved him, and welcomed him back when his life fell apart (see Luke 15:11-32).

The most important thing you can do, however, is to pray for your cousin, and encourage him to seek God's will for his life. Right now, he isn't thinking about God, but God hasn't abandoned him, and his greatest need is to put Christ first in his life. This is true for you, as well.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:06 pm

What Was God Doing Before He Created the World?

Q: What was God doing before He created the world? I had an atheist friend ask me this a few days ago, and I didn't know what to say. -- Z.N.

A: Surely, one of the hardest things for us to understand about God is that He is timeless and infinite, and He doesn't look on time the same way we do.

What do I mean by this? When you and I think of time, we think of hours, and days, and years -- but God isn't limited by those measures. We also think of things as having a beginning and end -- but God isn't limited in this way. In other words, we are finite and limited -- but God is infinite and unlimited. Before time ever existed, God always was. The Apostle Peter put it this way: "Do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day" (2 Peter 3:8).

This may seem difficult to understand (and it is), but don't overlook the basic truth behind it: God has always existed and always will. And even before He created the world, He was already planning for our salvation through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible says that God "chose us in him (Christ) before the creation of the world" (Ephesians 1:4). Christ's death and resurrection were not accidents; God planned them from all eternity. God loves you that much!

Pray for your atheist friend. His question may not have been sincere; he simply may have wanted to put you on the spot. But God still loves him, and some day -- through your prayers -- he may realize how empty his life is without God, and will discover the joy of knowing Christ.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:34 am

Should We Force Our Religious Beliefs on Our Children?
Q: My husband and I don't think we ought to force our religious beliefs on our children. We believe they should be free to choose their own beliefs when they get older. Even if we did force our ideas on them now, they'd probably just rebel against them later. -- Mrs. V.C.

A: Let me ask you a question: Do you plan to do this with any other area of your children's lives? For example, do you plan to let them decide if they can play in the traffic, or eat whatever they want, or brush their teeth?

I seriously doubt it. As parents, you know you have a responsibility to keep your children from harm, and to teach them to take care of themselves. You also know you have a responsibility to teach them the difference between right and wrong; if you don't, they may end up in prison. You love your children, and because you do, you want to do what's best for them. Jesus said, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?" (Luke 11:11).

Why, then, would you refuse to help them discover the greatest truth anyone can ever know -- the truth that God loves them and wants to show them His will for their lives? The reason, I suspect, is because you haven't made this discovery yourselves. To put it another way, God isn't important to you, so you see no reason to teach your children about Him.

My prayer is that you will examine honestly your own need of God -- and then open your hearts and lives to Jesus Christ. Not only will He change your lives, but He'll help you become the parents God wants you to be, as you teach your children about His love -- both by your words and your example.

========

What Does the Devil Look Like?
Q: What does the devil look like? I know he probably doesn't have a red suit and a pitchfork and all that, but do you think we'd recognize him if we saw him? Doesn't the Bible say someplace that he's like an angel? -- Mrs. D.L.L.

A: Although Satan is a spiritual instead of a physical being, the Bible does tell us that at times he can assume physical form. For example, when Satan tempted Jesus to turn away from God, he may have taken on the appearance of a man -- although with supernatural powers (see Matthew 4:1-11).

But the Bible doesn't tell us exactly what Satan looks like when he does put in an appearance. The Apostle Paul warned that at times Satan may seem like an angel of light -- in other words, appearing to be pure and good in order to deceive us into thinking his ways are best (see 2 Corinthians 11:14). At other times, however, his appearance must be frightening and evil -- because that is Satan's true nature, whether he is seen or unseen. The Bible warns, "Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8).

Always, however, remember two great truths about Satan. First, he is absolutely opposed to God, and to God's plan for our lives. And because of that, he'll do everything he possibly can to keep us under his control and away from God. Don't be deceived, however; his plans for us are always evil.

Second, never forget that although Satan is real, he is a defeated foe -- because by His death and resurrection Jesus Christ has defeated death and Hell and Satan. Put your faith and trust in Christ, for some day the final battle will be fought and Satan's power will be destroyed forever.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 17 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

How Do We Know There is Only One God?
Q: Our new neighbors in our apartment complex are from a country where people believe in many gods and goddesses. How do we know there is only one God, instead of thousands like they believe? I guess I've never thought about this before. -- Mrs. J.M.

A: One reason we believe there's only one God is because it's simply more logical. For example, how could thousands of gods and goddesses -- each with only limited power and authority -- ever create something as complicated and awe-inspiring as the universe? The answer is, they couldn't.

But the main reason we know there's only one God is because He has revealed this great truth to us. We aren't left to guess what God is like, or to try to create Him out of our imaginations -- because God has shown us what He is like. He has shown us that He alone is God, and that there are no other gods or goddesses besides Him. As the Bible says, "Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.... and apart from me there is no savior" (Isaiah 43:10-11).

When the ancient Israelites were about to enter the land that God had promised them, He repeatedly warned that they would be surrounded by nations that worshipped many gods. But they weren't to be influenced by them or misled by them. Instead, they must worship God alone, for He alone is the one true God: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one" (Deuteronomy 6:4).

Be a friend to your new neighbors, and do all you can to make them feel welcome. Pray for them also, and ask God to help you be an example to them of Christ's love and mercy -- and also of His power to save.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

Is the Internet Useless for Finding Out About God?
Q: I was searching on the Internet for the answer to a question I had about God, but I just ended up confused. There must have been a dozen different websites on religion, all claiming to have the answer to my question. But they didn't agree, and anyway, most of them just wanted money. Is the Internet useless for finding out about God? -- J.W.J.

A: No, it isn't necessarily useless; every day, for example, many people give their lives to Jesus Christ through the information we present on our own website (BillyGraham.org). Incidentally, many of them come from other countries, including nations that are otherwise closed to the Gospel.

At the same time, not everything concerning religion on the Internet is true, and I urge you to be cautious about using it. Almost anyone can start a website that claims to lead you to the truth -- but not all do.

In fact, many websites come from cults that promote all kinds of false beliefs, or even anti-Christian groups that deliberately want to lead you away from Jesus. Remember the Bible's warning: "I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:3).

I encourage you instead to make the Bible part of your life every day, because through its pages you'll discover God's truth. God gave it to us so that we can come to know Him and discover how He wants us to live. Most of all, through it we come to know Jesus Christ, who came down from heaven to show us God's love. Only He could say, "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:9). Put your life into His hands today.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:23 pm

Can an Intelligent Person Be a Christian?
Q: I just started college, and when my roommate found out I was a Christian, he laughed and said it wouldn't be long before I threw it all overboard. When I asked why, he said it's because no intelligent person can be a Christian. Is he right? -- M.N.

A: No, he isn't right. Some of the most intelligent and influential people in history have been Christians, and it's true even today.

Over the years, in fact, I've been privileged to meet a number of them, including many Christians who were outstanding scientists or scholars. Some told how they'd started out as agnostics, or even atheists, but as they studied the universe they realized it didn't make sense to say it had happened by chance. They came to echo the words of the psalmist: "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands" (Psalm 19:1). Then, as they read the Bible, they realized not only that God made the universe, but also that He loves us and sent His Son into the world so we could come to know God personally.

Ask God to lead you to other Christians on your campus; you may be able to find information about Christian groups on campus bulletin boards. In addition, set aside time every day to be alone with God, through reading His Word, the Bible, and through prayer.

In addition, pray for your roommate, and for others you'll meet who've never thought seriously about Jesus. Pray, too, that you will be a witness for Christ by the way you live. And when questions arise, ask God to help you find answers; your Christian bookstore can suggest some books to help you. Remember Jesus' promise: "I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:36 am

Is There a Sure-Fire Cure for Laziness?
Q: Do you have any sure-fire cure for laziness? I admit I'm not a very ambitious person, and never have been, but recently my girlfriend broke off our engagement because she said she didn't want to put up with a lazy husband. I guess I need to change, but I don't know how. -- L.G.

A: Have you ever asked yourself what kind of person God wants you to be? The answer is clear: He wants you to be someone who makes full use of the gifts and abilities He has given you. But you can't do that if you're lazy and undisciplined.

Why is it wrong to be lazy? You've already discovered one reason: it cuts you off from others. They know a lazy, undisciplined person can't be trusted with responsibilities, and that they're usually going to take the easy way out. But laziness is also wrong because you end up hurting both yourself and your loved ones -- and God doesn't want that to happen. The Bible warns, "The shiftless man goes hungry" (Proverbs 19:15). It also says, "Lazy hands make a man poor" (Proverbs 10:4).

What should you do? First, realize that God made you, and He loves you in spite of this problem. He loves you so much that His Son was willing to die for you, so you could be with Him in Heaven forever. Once you realize how much God loves you, your life will never be the same. Receive the gift of His love by turning to Christ and inviting Him into your life today.

Then ask God to help you overcome your laziness. It may not happen at once -- but with God's help, you can change. Take practical steps also -- for example, by making a daily 'to do' list, eating properly and exercising regularly.

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:25 am

Is the World About to Collapse Economically?
Q: We read a book recently predicting that the world is about to collapse economically. If our money is going to be worthless (as this writer says), why should we bother working hard or saving money? We're really worried. -- J.H.

A: I'm not an economist, of course, nor would I pretend to know what is going to happen to the world's economy in the next few years. Nor, frankly, does anyone else know this for certain; the world is far more complicated than most of us realize.

But even if we knew the world was headed for an economic crisis, this doesn't mean we should sit back and do nothing. If anything, we should be more diligent and more responsible -- paying off our debts, saving and investing what we can, educating our children, giving generously to God's work, and so forth. If everyone did this, our economic problems might be solved! The Bible says that "diligent hands bring wealth" (Proverbs 10:4).

I can't help but think in this connection of the prophet Jeremiah. He repeatedly warned his people that God's judgment was coming on them because of their sins. When it came, he warned, their nation would be destroyed (which it was). But in spite of this, God told Jeremiah to go ahead and purchase a field from one of his relatives. Eventually, God told him, times would change and his descendants would be able to use it (see Jeremiah 32:1-15).

The most important thing for you to do, however, is to put Christ first in your life, and to trust God for the future. The Bible tells everyone "not ... to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment" (1 Timothy 6:17).

========

Should Our Aunt Divorce Our Selfish Uncle?
Q: Everyone in our family feels sorry for my aunt, because her husband is just about the most selfish person you'll ever meet. This is obviously very hard on her, and some of us even wonder if we ought to encourage her to divorce him. Would this be wrong? -- Mrs. J. McL.

A: I sincerely hope you won't encourage your aunt to divorce her husband, even if he is selfish and difficult to live with. Jesus said, "Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate" (Matthew 19:6).

Remember, when your aunt and her husband were married they took a vow before God to be faithful to each other for as long as they live, and God takes that vow very seriously. I'm afraid we often lose sight of this today, and have come to look on marriage as a casual arrangement that can be ended whenever we please. But when we do, we pay a price -- a price of insecurity and instability and hardship. I know that sometimes separation or divorce become necessary, but every effort should be made to prevent them.

What can you do? First, pray for your aunt -- and also for her husband. Pray not only that they'll manage to get along with each other, but also that God will transform their lives and their marriage. And this can happen, as they turn to Jesus Christ and invite Him to take control of their lives. God can take away our selfishness and insensitivity, and replace them with His love and tenderness.

Then ask God to help you be a friend to your aunt. People in her situation often feel isolated and lonely, and she needs to know that others care. The Bible says, "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2).

========

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32 ... 41  Next