World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» ABOUT Farm Fresh Eggs & Chickens
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 11:57 pm by Admin

»  "Bring Them Home" protests heat up,
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 11:50 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 11:12 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:58 pm by Admin

» IsraelAM
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:50 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:46 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:39 pm by Admin

» AISH
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:18 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:02 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:49 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:12 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:07 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:04 pm by Admin

» Whose Land know the truth
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:57 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:47 pm by Admin

» OBAMA AGAIN
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:45 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 1:21 am by Admin

» The Risks of (AI) Artificial Intelligence
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 12:37 am by Admin

» A Lenten Prayer to Bring Beauty from Ashes - Easter Devotional - March 17
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 9:50 pm by Admin

» CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC
THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 5:54 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 Empty Re: THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS

Post  Admin Fri 22 May 2020, 9:07 pm

THOUGHT PROVOKING

MY CUP OVERFLOWS... WITH STUFF

I am the type of person who can't say "No." If somebody is sick or something else comes up and the person can't fulfill their volunteer position at our church, it is my name that comes to mind. If a pot of soup is needed for a luncheon, or a dessert is needed for coffee hour after the service, just call me, and I will be happy to oblige. If you need a ride to church, or a Scripture reader, or someone to assist the pastor or help serve communion, I am there to help out. It's a good thing that I am retired and am able to do these things. It seems that I am busier now than when I was working!

Don't get me wrong. I love doing these volunteer jobs, and it seems that God provides me with the energy and the strength to fulfill all of these volunteer obligations.

Sometimes, I feel that things do get out of hand, and my plate overflows! But there are just too many volunteer jobs to be filled and not enough helpers. Knowing that, I usually cave in and accept to help out.

There is a saying that God never gives us more than we can handle and that with His grace, we can overcome all obstacles. We can do nothing of ourselves, but with God, all things are possible.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. (NASB)

The other day as I was thinking about all the various responsibilities and jobs that need to be done within a church, I wondered why it is that some people do multiple jobs while others do nothing. Is it that some people, like me, are too quick to volunteer, and others hold back? Or is it that some people wait to be asked first, while others are more forward? I imagined that if most of us did one little volunteer job, the load would be so much easier. Instead of a few volunteer jobs falling onto the plate of one or two people, these duties could be shared among more people.

May each and every one of us, as we are able, help out within our individual congregations to lighten someone else's load.

…..Rosemary Hagedorn, Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada by way of Cup O'Cheer(cheer316@sc.rr.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 Empty Re: THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS

Post  Admin Fri 22 May 2020, 9:05 pm

INSPIRATION

Grandma's Hands

Grandma, some ninety plus years, sat feebly on the patio bench. She didn't move, just sat with her head down staring at her hands.

When I sat down beside her she didn't acknowledge my presence and the longer I sat I wondered if she was OK.

Finally, not really wanting to disturb her but wanting to check on her at the same time, I asked her if she was OK. She raised her head and looked at me and smiled. 'Yes, I'm fine, thank you for asking,' she said in a clear voice strong.

'I didn't mean to disturb you, grandma, but you were just sitting here staring at your hands and I wanted to make sure you were OK,' I explained to her. 'Have you ever looked at your hands,' she asked. 'I mean really looked at your hands?'

I slowly opened my hands and stared down at them. I turned them over, palms up and then palms down. No, I guess I had never really looked at my hands as I tried to figure out the point she was making.

Grandma smiled and related this story: 'Stop and think for a moment about the hands you have, how they have served you well throughout your years. These hands, though wrinkled shriveled and weak have been the tools I have used all my life to reach out and grab and embrace life.'They braced and caught my fall when as a toddler I crashed upon the floor. They put food in my mouth and clothes on my back. As a child, my mother taught me to fold them in prayer. They tied my shoes and pulled on my boots. They held my husband and wiped my tears when he went off to war. 'They have been dirty, scraped and raw, swollen and bent. They were uneasy and clumsy when I tried to hold my newborn son. Decorated with my wedding band they showed the world that I was married and loved someone special.

They wrote my letters to him and trembled and shook when I buried my parents and spouse.

They have covered my face, combed my hair, and washed and cleansed the rest of my body. They have been sticky and wet, bent and broken, dried and raw. And to this day when not much of anything else of me works real well these hands hold me up, lay me down, and again continue to fold in prayer.

'These hands are the mark of where I've been and the ruggedness of life. But more importantly it will be these hands that God will reach out and take when he leads me home. And with my hands He will lift me to His side and there I will use these hands to touch the face of God.

I will never look at my hands the same again. But I remember God reached out and took my grandma's hands and led her home. When my hands are hurt or sore or when I stroke the face of my children and husband I think of grandma. I know she has been stroked and caressed and held by the hands of God.

I, too, want to touch the face of God and feel His hands upon my face.

…..Tim’s Inspiraation (timsinspiration@yahoo.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 13 May 2020, 8:43 pm

THE FIRST FLOWER OF SPRING

I smiled when I saw the first flower of Spring the other day. A lone Blue Bonnet had popped its head through the ground and was looking around on a cool, April morning. I wasn’t sure what had made it finally decide to end its long, Winter’s sleep. Perhaps it had noticed that the ground around it was no longer frozen. Perhaps it had felt the warmth of the sunshine finally pushing the temperatures into the seventies. Perhaps it had heard the songs of the birds singing that Spring had arrived and it was time for the world to awaken again. Perhaps the roots of the trees had whispered to it that it was now safe to come out and that their own limbs were already budding.

Whatever the reason it was a joy to see the little guy soaking up the light and calling out to its fellow flowers to join in the celebration of life once again. I know that soon it will be joined by other Blue Bonnets, Buttercups, Tulips, Daffodils, and Dandelions. I know that soon the air will be full of Butterflies dancing above them all. I know that soon the meadows will be full of growing grass and the forested hills will be awash in bright, green leaves. I know that soon the bloom even when the world around us is cold, dark, and harsh. We have the ability to share our beauty in the face of ugliness, our joy in the face of fear, and our love in the face of hate. We have the ability to make every day feel like the first day of Spring.

May you bloom well then today and always. May you shine your light. May you share your love. May you be truly alive in the glory of God’s creation. And may you forever make your Heavenly Father smile.

….. Joseph J. Mazzella (joemazzella@frontier.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)         
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 01 May 2020, 1:31 pm

THOUGHT PROVOKING

WHAT AN AWESOME AND ORDERLY GOD!

For example:
the eggs of the potato bug hatch in 7 days;
those of the canary in 14 days;
those of the barnyard hen in 21 days. 
The eggs of ducks and geese hatch in 28 days; 
those of the mallard in 35 days. 
The eggs of the parrot and the ostrich hatch in 42 days. 
(Notice, they are all divisible by seven, the number of days in a week!)

God's wisdom is seen in the making of an elephant. The four legs of this great beast all bend forward in the same direction. No other quadrupeds so made. God planned that this animal would have a huge body, too large to live on two legs. For this reason He gave it four fulcrums so that it can rise from the ground easily. 

The horse rises from the ground on its two front legs first. A cow rises from the ground with its two hind legs first.  How wise the Lord is in all His works of creation!

God's wisdom is revealed in His arrangement of sections and segments, as well as in the number of grains. Each watermelon has an even number of stripes on the rind.  Each orange has an even number of segments.   Each ear of corn has an even number of rows.  Each stalk of wheat has an even number of grains. 

Every bunch of bananas has on its lowest row an even number of bananas, and each row decreases by one, so that one row has an even number and the next row an odd number. 

The waves of the sea roll in on shore twenty-six to the minute in all kinds of weather. 

All grains are found in even numbers on the stalks, and the Lord specified thirty fold, sixty fold, and a hundredfold - all even numbers.

God has caused the flowers to blossom at certain specified times during the day, so that Linnaeus, the great botanist, once said that if he had a conservatory containing the right kind of soil, moisture and temperature, he could tell the time of day or night by the flowers that were open and those that were closed!

Thus the Lord in His wonderful grace can arrange the life that is entrusted to His care in such a way that it will carry out His purposes and plans, and will be fragrant with His presence.

Only the God-planned safe life is successful.  Only the life given over to the care of the Lord is fulfilled

.......Author unknown by way of Cup O’Cheer (cupocheer316@yahoo.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

*****************************************************************************************************

INSPIRATION

SING A NEW SONG

Sing to God a brand-new song, sing his praises all over the world! Let the
sea and its fish give a round of applause, with all the far-flung islands joining
in. Let the desert and its camps raise a tune, calling the Kedar nomads to join in. Let the villagers in Sela round up a choir and perform from the tops of the mountains. Make God’s glory resound; echo his praises from coast to coast. God steps out like he means business. You can see he’s primed for action. He shouts, announcing his arrival; he takes charge a and his enemies fall into line. (Isaiah 42:10-16, MSG)

A few years back my wife and I attended our 50th high school reunion. It was a time to reminisce and greet old friends that we hadn’t seen in quite a while. The food was great, the company greater and oh, how we laughed and laughed. The DJ played the songs of our era and even though we could not dance as we once did, we still made the rounds of the floor. And oh, those songs brought back many memories that we shared around the table and caused us to miss the ones who could not be with us.

One of the highlights was for the classmates was to sing the school fight song. This is the school we graduated from and sang the song at every victory of our teams, and yet, a vast majority of us
could not remember the words to the song. It was a little embarrassing as we read the words from the screen before us as we sang the song.

How many of you can sing your school fight song? If you remember the song, does it have any mention of the best player on the team? How about the coach of any of the sports teams from your school? Did your fight song have any mention of anyone who influenced you while you attended that school?

Psalm 40:3 says, “He taught me how to sing the latest God-song, a praise-song to our God. More and more people are seeing this: they enter the mystery, abandoning themselves to God.”

Music is an important part of our lives. You think about all the places and things we do that have music. It is a way of expression. It can be a means of escape. Music reflects our mood and it can also affect our mood.

Few things in life touch the heart as well as music. And music for many represents what you believe, what’s important to you, what you identify with, what resonates with who you are. Think about it. If the majority of the songs you listen to talk about getting drunk and wasted, then I’m going to bet that’s a temptation for you. If the music you listen to is filled with sexual innuendos and bold vulgarity, then I’m probably going to say that inside that’s the kind of person you really are. If what you listen to talks about faith, trusting in God, praising God, and living for God, then I’m gonna guess that you are a ... Believer, a Christ-follower, someone who cares about God.

The kind of music we love says a lot about who we are. Why do we sing on Sundays? Why do we play music? Hopefully the music we sing expresses what we believe and what we feel about God.

The Bible teaches us to sing a "New Song" to the Lord. What this is basically saying is that our praise should be fresh and new because God's mercy is new every morning and He is still working in the lives of those who follow in faith and obedience.

…..Edd Wilder (revedd@comcast.net) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 21 Apr 2020, 11:36 pm

THOUGHT PROVOKING

A BROKEN SPIRIT

I have heard that there is a monastery in Greece perched high on a cliff, several hundred feet in the air. The only way to reach the monastery is to be suspended in a basket which is pulled to the top by several monks who pull and tug with all their strength. Obviously the ride up the steep cliff in that basket is terrifying.

One tourist got exceedingly nervous about half-way up as he noticed that the rope by which he was suspended was old and frayed. With a trembling voice he asked the monk who was riding with him in the basket how often they changed the rope.

The monk thought for a moment and answered serenely: "Whenever it breaks."

We are shocked that someone would wait that long before changing the rope. It only makes sense that the rope ought to be changed long before reaching that point. But it dawned on me that God operates the same way in our lives. If we were to ask God when He will change our lives, His answer might well be, "Whenever you break!"

You see, our lives can only change once we have what the Bible refers to as a "broken spirit". As long as we remain arrogant and determined to do things our way, God can't shape us and mold us. Like a wild stallion, we remain useless until we are "broken".

"The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit." (Psa. 34:18)

Father, I so often want to stubbornly do things my way. Help me as I strive to have a broken spirit, recognizing my shortcomings, humbly willing to listen to Your instruction. In Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great day!

…..Alan Smith by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

God’s New Work?

Change is in the air! Two well loved, Bible preaching pastors in local churches, have resigned their pulpits. Congregational profiles will be filed out and examined. The work of the church will be reviewed. What has been done well? What needs to be different? Are old ways and traditions to be maintained, or is there need to modernize ways of thinking, of doing ministry? When change comes to churches, there is much to consider, much to pray and seek God about, vital decisions to be made. Perhaps in such times, God is calling us to look at what we are doing, to study His word and learn from examples of the early church and above all, to determine to do things His way.

With the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the first church began. God sent the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and everything changed. Timid fearful disciples suddenly became bold and fearless preachers. The gospel of Jesus Christ was proclaimed and “the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.” (Acts 2:47) Thousands of hearts were touched and lives were turned upside down. All seemed to be going well, but God had other plans. Persecution arose, James was killed, and the new believers were forced to flee to other territories. Again, as folk traveled, so too did the Word. Many more in the ancient world were added to the faith. As we study the stories in Acts and read Paul’s letters, we see this happening again and again. Teaching, conversions, persecution, and dispersion - growth.

How do churches today line up? When change comes, do we hunker down, batten the hatches and hope we can maintain the status quo? Can we keep on keeping on or is God trying to tell us something? Are we in church learning and growing so we can go out and share our good news with those who don’t know Jesus? Are we inviting them in? Christ did say “Go and tell.” (Matt.28:19) Are we so inward looking we forget to look outward? How long has it been since a ‘new convert’ came through the church doors?

Let’s pray for an infilling of the Holy Spirit. May He light the fire in our hearts, to give us a burning compassion for the lost and a willingness to love with word and action. Change is part of God’s marvelous plan; and if we step fearless out in faith, He will woo hearts by the power of the Spirit and add to our churches those who are being saved.

…..Pat Earl (brian.earl@sympatico.ca) by way of “Christian Voices” Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

INSPIRATION

SECOND CHANCES

I was in fifth grade and about to take a science test. Since first grade I had always been good at school. I loved to read and remembered things easily. Simple math was a breeze for me and I always did well on tests. When it came to fifth grade science, however, I was struggling. I couldn’t seem to understand it no matter how hard I tried. I was scared. Mom and Dad had always been so proud of my good grades and I didn’t want to let them down. Just before the test then I had written several of the answers on my desk top in barely legible pencil. I sat nervously as the teacher started to hand out the tests. I didn’t want to get caught, but I didn’t want to fail either.

As the teacher was starting down my row suddenly the fire alarm went off. It was an unscheduled fire drill. We all headed out the door and stood together waiting for the all clear signal. As I stood outside in the warm sunshine I realized what a fool I had been. I knew my Mom and Dad would be proud of me and love me no matter what my grades were. As soon as we were allowed back in I spit on my hand, walked to my desk, and wiped the answers away. I had been given a second chance and I wasn’t going to waste it. I took the test, did my best, and felt at peace. I don’t remember what my grade was but what happened that day has stayed in my heart and mind ever since.

I am not sure why God gave me a second chance that day. It wouldn’t be the last time, though.

God has given me more second, third, and fourth chances than any man deserves. His patience and love have been with me through all the mistakes, stumbles, and falls I have made. His second chances have allowed me to grow into the person I am today.

Life is full of second chances but you have to be willing to take them. You have to be willing to ask God’s forgiveness and begin again. You have to be willing to release your mistakes and grasp your inner goodness. You have to be willing to give up your fear and just love. Every day when you wake up you are given a second chance at life. Embrace it! Cherish it! And use it wisely!

…..Joseph J. Mazzella (joemazzella@frontier.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 15 Apr 2020, 12:35 pm

THOUGHT PROVOKING

THE SIMPLICITY OF THE GOSPEL

For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.  1 Corinthians 1:21

I have traveled all around the world and have preached in every kind of venue imaginable, yet I never cease to be amazed by the power of the gospel. Regardless of how educated or how illiterate people are, no matter how wealthy or how poor they are, whatever their circumstances, the gospel always connects.

People have sometimes come away from a Harvest Crusade commenting on how simple my message was. But that simplicity was intentional. As I am preparing a message, I reach a point where I start clearing away the clutter so that it is as simple as it possibly can be. Why? Because I don't want anything to clutter the message of the cross of Jesus Christ.

The apostle Paul wrote to the believers in Corinth, "For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). I can't emphasize this enough. The message is not Christianity; it is Jesus Christ. The message is not religion. I don't want to make people religious. I don't even want to be religious myself. In fact, if it weren't for a relationship with Jesus, I would not be a religious person. Some people love the rituals of religion. Not me. I have no interest in them whatsoever. But I have the greatest interest in having a relationship with God.

I once had the opportunity to ask Billy Graham, "If you knew as a younger man what you know today after preaching the gospel all of these years, what would you tell yourself that you need to do more of?"

He told me, "I would preach more on the cross and the blood of Christ, because that is where the power is."

I thought that was good advice. And I've tried to keep it.

…..as seen in Daily Devotion with Greg Laurie by way of Cup O’Cheer (clowndisciple@gmail.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

INSPIRATION

FEATHERED FIDELITY

It's a sad reality. All relationships start with love and promise, but all too often we see them weaken, crumble and finally fail. It's too bad all relationships don't go to the birds. I know that sounds strange, but read on.

Many years ago, when I was just a young boy, a small yellow bird hit our front door. When I looked outside, I saw it’s tiny, unmoving body on our deck. I opened the door to see if it was just stunned, or worse, dead. I was kneeling over it when my mom joined me.

"Michael, I think it may be dead. I heard the bang on the glass. It hit pretty hard."

"Mom, should we bury it?"

"I'm not sure, Michael. When I first looked out I saw another bird land beside it. It looked like it was trying to pick this one up. I think we should let nature take care of this. Let's put it on the roof of the car and see what happens."

We placed the unmoving, little bird on the roof of my dad's car and went back into the house. From our living room window we watched as the bird's mate flew to its side, carefully grip the back of the dead bird's neck in its tiny beak, and with strength only love and devotion could provide, lifted its mate in the air. It carried the body from the car, across the street, over the meadow on the other side and into nearby trees. It flew only a few feet off the ground. Sometimes it would get up to six feet high and then the weight of its companion would pull it lower again. Its struggle was great, but the desire not to be parted from its mate was greater.

Thirty-five years later, I stepped out of my home on a warm summer morning. I looked toward my next door neighbor’s – we lived in attached townhouses – and noticed a tiny strand of a spider’s web strung strung from the bush by the corner of their townhouse to the wheel of one of their cars. I thought it was strange for a spider to spin such a web, especially just one tiny strand. I moved closer to investigate. When I reached down to break the web I discovered it wasn't a web at all. It was a piece of fishing line. I gave it a tug and saw it was tangled in the bushes, and the other end was knotted under the car. One of the boys was sitting on the front deck of the house. I remarked, "Looks like someone booby-trapped your friend's car."

He came closer to see what I was talking about. I gave the line a tug. It was tightly jammed under the wheel of the vehicle.

"Strange, it seems to go all the way under," I said.

I walked to the back of the car and saw a robin. It fluttered to get away, but the line, which was wrapped around its tiny leg, held it firm. The poor bird flapped around on the pavement with only a foot of line for it to move. Slowly I approached and reached to grab it. When my fingers first touched his feathers it squawked and flapped away from me. I moved faster on the second attempt and managed to get a grip around his trembling body. It squirmed and twisted its head to snap at me, but I held tight.

The boy came closer for a look, and then went for a knife. When he returned I realized he would probably break the poor bird's leg when the knife pulled the string tight before cutting it through, so I sent him for scissors. He came back and we carefully removed the string.

The bird was free, but I held him a little longer, so I could remove one last strand of the line from his tiny leg. It made a great effort and escaped from my grasp. He flew low across the pavement, under a row of mailboxes, and up into a tree. It was free again.

Then I noticed a second robin fly down from a nearby tree and land next to the newly-freed robin. It had stayed close by, as its mate struggled for freedom, and would not have left until freedom or death ended their relationship. The birds I witnessed mated for life and the struggles that come with it. Now don't you wish a lot more relationships would go to the birds?

I know I do.

…..Tim’s Inspiration (timlevin@gmail.com) by way of “Christian Voices (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 28 Feb 2020, 6:47 pm

THOUGHT PROVOKING

LISTENING TO THE SHEPHERD

Author H. W. McLaughlin tells of visiting Israel and talking to an old shepherd. Thinking about Psalm 23, McLaughlin asked the shepherd how he used his staff to comfort and guide the sheep. The elderly man said that in the daylight he always carried it across his shoulders so the sheep could see it. Somehow this reassured them of his presence and protection. He further explained that if darkness overtook him before he had brought the sheep to a safe resting place for the night, or if they were caught in a heavy fog so that the sheep could not see the staff, he would walk slowly while tapping it on the ground. Although the sheep could not see the staff, they could hear its tapping, and they would follow the direction of the sound, knowing that their shepherd was just ahead of them.

God's inspired Word is to the Christian what that staff was to those sheep, reassuring us of God's presence, protection, and provision by day and by night. Sometimes we see His leading from Scripture very clearly. At other times, however, we must listen with special care to God's Spirit as He speaks to us in the Scriptures. He will reassure us that our Shepherd, though unseen, is always with us.

…..Henry G. Bosch, (Our Daily Bread, June 1, 1993) by way of Cup O’Cheer (cheer316kim@sc.rr.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

START WHERE YOU ARE

"But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon
you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all
Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."      —Acts 1:8

Some people want to go to other countries and be missionaries for Christ. And that is good. But how about starting with crossing the street and talking to your neighbor?

Some people say, "I want to be in the ministry." Guess what "the ministry" is? It is service to the Lord.

Jesus said, "You shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth" (Acts 1:8). This is how it worked for the disciples, and that is how it works for us. It is a strategy for evangelism. They were to start in Jerusalem, where they were. Next came nearby Judea and Samaria, and then the rest of the world.

Here is what God is saying, in effect: If you want to reach the world, then start with your world. When you think of going into all of the world and preaching the gospel, that is a daunting task, isn't it? But how about this? Go into all of your world and preach the gospel.

I know of an interesting group of people. They are small in stature. They have a lot of energy. They have a short attention span. But they are very open to the Word of God. They are called kids. They can be found in Sunday school rooms and are in need of people to help teach them.

You might be thinking, I am looking for the big call of God. But what about doing something simple? How about just sharing Jesus when you are out and about? How about starting with people that you live near? How about starting with members of your family? How about your coworkers? How about students on your campus? That is where it starts. So just start where you are.

…..as seen in Daily Devotion with Greg Laurie by way of Cup O’Cheer (cheer316kim@sc.rr.com) and  “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

INSPIRATIONAL

Bird’s Eye View
Don’t you love the feeling of being ‘on top of the world’? Everything seems to be going
j-u-s-t right.  Gotta love those times. 

Yesterday when I parked at the lot on my way into the grocery store I looked up at the extraordinary blue. What a day. One of those chamber-of-commerce afternoons where the spring green of the trees met the deep clear sundrenched sky. On the highest part of a tall streetlight, a mockingbird was comfortably perched. Just checking it out, taking a rest. There he was, on top of the world.

Most days we aren’t on those mountain-peak highs, we live in the valley of life. Everyday life, the normal, the ups, the downs. Often those times are a little harder for me to like. Could be a season where you feel your world is unraveling and you are hanging by a thread, like this butterfly to the leaf. You may be barely holding on, waiting for the tide to turn. I’ve heard people voice questions, “So where was God anyway? Why did He let it happen?”, “God didn’t answer my prayers about that”.

Here is some good news: no matter what it seems like, no matter what is going on, God is still sovereign. He is still in the midst, keeping every one of His promises (something like 7,000 of them in the Bible). He’s not distant, He’s not uncaring nor uninvolved. He is a personal God, wanting the best for His children and a close relationship with them.

The Word of the Lord is truth, and here are a few verses that you can count on to help to gain a ‘bird’s eye view’ perspective:

Psalm 97:9   For you, O Lord, are the Most High over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods.

1 Chronicles 29:11  Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all.
Isaiah 37:16  "O Lord Almighty, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth.
Psalm 73:28  But as for me, it is good to be near God. 
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

1 Chronicles 16:31   Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; 
 let them say among the nations, "The Lord reigns!"

…..Sally Kennedy (irishthursdays@bellsouth.net) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 19 Feb 2020, 2:23 pm

INSPIRATIONAL

YES

I find that the older I get the pickier I get about what I read. I just don’t want to waste hours and hours of my life reading something that isn’t going to enlighten, inspire, or entertain me. I can still remember the last time I walked into a book store at a mall. I glanced down the self-help section and was amazed at the number of books there. There were books to help you lose weight.  There were books to help you find a mate. There were books on exercising your body. There were books on exercising your mind. There were books about improving your work life. There were books about improving your sex life. There were books about making friends. There were books about making money. There were countless books taking you down countless roads all claiming to lead you to happiness. 

Are you going to love yourself today? Yes! Are you going to love everyone else today? Yes!

Once you can say yes to love then you can say yes to all the other important questions in this life. Are you going to be kind? Yes! Are you going to help others? Yes! Are you going to face life’s difficulties with a smile? Yes! Are you going to take care of your heart, soul, body, and mind? Yes! Are you going to make this world a better place? Yes! Are you going to share laughter and spread joy? Yes! Are you going to do your best to live your life so that Heaven sings and God smiles? Yes! Yes! Yes!

Every morning you are given a fresh start, a new beginning, and one more chance to say "Yes!" to love. Every morning you are giving another opportunity to start writing a new chapter in your own book of life. Live well then. Write well. And love well today and always.

.....Joseph J. Mazzella (joemazzella@frontier.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 03 Feb 2020, 8:46 pm

INSPIRATIONAL

But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven’s angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows. The Arrival of the Son of Man will take place in times like Noah’s. Before the great flood everyone was carrying on as usual, having a good time right up to the day Noah boarded the ark. They knew nothing—until the flood hit and swept everything away. The Son of Man’s Arrival will be like that: Two men will be working in the field—one will be taken, one left behind; two women will be grinding at the mill—one will be taken, one left behind. So stay awake, alert. You have no idea what day your Master will show up. But you do know this: You know that if the homeowner had known what time of night the burglar would arrive, he would have been there with his dogs to prevent the break-in. Be vigilant just like that. You have no idea when the Son of Man is going to show up. (Matthew 24:36-44, MSG)

When I was a young man I joined the Navy. One of the many duties that we learned in Boot Camp was the way to “stand a watch.” First we had to report at least 15 minutes before our scheduled watch. A scheduled watch was 4 hours long unless it was extreme weather. We reported to the Officer of the Deck (ODD}, whose duty was to prepare us to take over the watch. He made certain we had on the proper uniform, especially for protection from the weather. After we reported and had passed inspection, and if we were to stand a watch in the dark or near dark, we were placed into a dark area for the remaining time before we relieved the person who was presently on watch. This was so that it would be easier for us to accustom to the dark.

Every watch stander had a vision of 180 degrees from left to right and vice versa. The responsibility of the watch stander was to inform the officer of the deck (ODD) of any object that would come near the ship. No matter how small or how large we would inform the ODD by phone. Even a log can do serious damage to a ship at sea. Keeping watch means: to give strict attention to, to be cautious, to take heed lest some calamity overtake you.

Jesus tells us to keep watch and be ready. How do we get ready for coming again? Well, there is that of praying, reading the Bible, God’s Holy Word, and obeying His instructions.

These are very practical, real reasons to post the watch. Keep watch! I come unannounced, like a thief. You’re blessed if, awake and dressed, you’re ready for me. Too bad if you’re found running through the streets, naked and ashamed. (Revelation16:15, MSG)

Kind of a crazy verse, huh? But think about it. How much time do we spend primping in the morning? How much money do we spend buying the right clothes, and the right colognes, and the right “look”? And if we give all of that effort to our physical appearance, what a shame it will be if we have ignored our spiritual attire, and the King returns, and finds us naked. Exposed for what we are.

Will we still be praying? Will we still be attentive to God? Will the watch still be posted?

…..Edd Wilder (revedd@comcast.net) by way of “Christian Voices” (of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 25 Jan 2020, 11:30 pm

THOUGHT PROVOKING  

HOW YOUR ATTITUDE CAN AFFECT EVERYTHING

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is
admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about
such things. - Philippians 4:8

Norman Cousins, a prominent writer of the 20th century, was diagnosed with a rare, crippling, and incurable disease. Tired of being in the hospital for so long and with little real hope for recovery, he checked himself out and went home. 

There, he began his own treatment to comfort the pain. He borrowed a movie projector and watched old Marx Brothers films and Candid Camera reruns. He soon found that after 10 minutes of good laughter, he could sleep peacefully for two hours. When the pain returned, he would simply flick the projector back on and he’d have another two hours of painless sleep.

Attitude matters. When you’re fighting tough battles in life and it’s hard to see a way forward, the attitude you have during the struggle will most certainly determine how it affects you. This isn’t just emotional. Your attitude can affect you both mentally and physically.

Whether it’s sickness, hard emotional times, or grief, find reasons to laugh. Instead of withdrawing, do something you enjoy and spend time with others who can bring you up. Be positive no matter what challenge you’re facing and you’ll be renewed both mentally and physically!

…..as seen in Cup O’Cheer (clowndisciple@gmail.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

Bird’s Eye View

Don’t you love the feeling of being ‘on top of the world’? Everything seems to be going j-u-s-t right. Gotta love those times.

Yesterday when I parked at the lot on my way into the grocery store I looked up at the extraordinary blue. What a day. One of those chamber-of-commerce afternoons where the spring green of the trees met the deep clear sundrenched sky. On the highest part of a tall streetlight, a mockingbird was comfortably perched. Just checking it out, taking a rest. There he was, on top of the world. 

Most days we aren’t on those mountain-peak highs, we live in the valley of life. Everyday life, the normal, the ups, the downs. Often those times are a little harder for me to like. Could be a season where you feel your world is unraveling and you are hanging by a thread, like this butterfly to the leaf. You may be barely holding on, waiting for the tide to turn. I’ve heard people voice questions, “So where was God anyway? Why did He let it happen?”, “God didn’t answer my prayers about that”.
Here is some good news: no matter what it seems like, no matter what is going on, God is still sovereign. He is still in the midst, keeping every one of His promises (something like 7,000 of them in the Bible). He’s not distant, He’s not uncaring nor uninvolved. He is a personal God, wanting the best for His children and a close relationship with them.

The Word of the Lord is truth, and here are a few verses that you can count on to help to gain a ‘bird’s eye view’ perspective:

Psalm 97:9   For you, O Lord, are the Most High over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods.
    1 Chronicles 29:11  Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all.
    Isaiah 37:16  “O Lord Almighty, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth.
    Psalm 73:28  But as for me, it is good to be near God. 
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.
    1 Chronicles 16:31   Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let them say among the nations, “The Lord reigns!”

…..©2011 Sally I. Kennedy (http://www.sallyikennedy.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

GREAT-GRANDMOTHER

My granddaughter, Jade, had a baby girl-a beautiful, blonde-haired little bundle of sweetness who brought joy to our family and made me a great-grandmother.'

A couple of years later, she blessed us with another beautiful baby girl. And her husband brought with him his own blonde-haired bundle of female energy.

Now I was a great-grandmother to three little girls, all blonde-haired, blue-eyed sweetness. Put them all together (ages five, three, and one at this time) and you would swear they were full-blooded siblings-rather than a combination of "half's and "step"s. A fully modern family - his, hers, and theirs.

We don’t see them nearly often enough, since we live in Tennessee and they in Michigan. But we keep in contact via telephone and email.

I never thought much about being a great-grandmother. It was just another step in life. I didn't feel any different age-wise. Then one day I was chatting with my son, Jade's father, over the phone, and he was enthusiastically bragging about his grandchildren and how much fun he was having being a grandfather.

Wait a minute! My son? A grandfather? Oh, my Lord! My son is a grandfather! I'm the mother of a grandfather! All of a sudden I feel very old!!

…..Dorothy Dale (willardanddorothy@frontiernet.net) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 26 Dec 2019, 1:13 am

THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONAL

Today is my Father's birthday. I hope you'll help me pass the word
by wishing everyone you meet today a Very Merry Christmas!

T'was the night Jesus came and all through the house,
Not a person was praying, not one in the house .
The Bible was left on the shelf without care,
For no one thought Jesus would come there.
The children were dressing to crawl into bed,
Not once ever kneeling or bowing their head..
And Mom in the rocking chair with babe on her lap,
Was watching the Late Show as I took a nap...
When out of the east there rose such a clatter,
I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter...
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and lifted the sash...
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But Angels proclaiming that Jesus was here...
The light of His face made me cover my head...
Was Jesus returning just like He'd said.
And though I possessed worldly wisdom and wealth,
I cried when I saw Him in spite of myself...
In the Book of Life which he held in his hand,
Was written the name of every saved man...
He spoke not a word as he searched for my name,
When He said "it's not here" My head hung in shame...
The people whose names had been written with love,
He gathered to take to his Father above...
With those who were ready He rose without sound,
While all of the others were left standing around ..
I fell to my knees but it was too late,
I'd waited too long and thus sealed my fate...
I stood and I cried as they rose out of sight,
Oh, if only I'd known that this was the night...
In the words of this poem the meaning is clear,
The coming of Jesus is now drawing near...
There's only one life and when comes the last call,
We'll find out that the Bible was true after all.

......Tim (timsinspiration@yahoo.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

Editor Note: Christ could come for His bride and church right now while you are reading this. Do not wait any longer. Accept Christ as your Lord and Savior right now! When too late – it truly is too late! If you are not already saved, don’t come this close to being His and let the opportunity for your salvation slip away. 
Where will you be when the world realizes that “the Bible was true after all”?

THE BABE OF ADVENT

Advent is a time when we remember a tiny babe born to a young teenage girl in a dirty stable. Sounds of cattle lowing, a donkey braying and doves cooing in the rafters filled the air. Pungent smells of animal life attacked the nostrils. Straw was the mattress for his bed. Swaddling cloths were
His blanket. An anxious carpenter stood guard. This was his family. This child, the very Son of God had been entrusted to his care.

How could this be? Yet, there was a sense of peace and a stirring of hope within the hearts of two bewildered people. Two, who chose to believe and to obey their God who loved the world so much, He sent His only Son to be its Savior. This babe, Emmanuel -- God with us, would change the world
forever. Here in a simple manger was the One spoken of by prophets of old, the One who was the fulfillment of their words.

"Unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given
  And the government will be upon His shoulder
     And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor,
        Isaiah 9:6

"You have multiplied the nation and increased its joy;
  They rejoice before you according to the joy of harvest,
     As men rejoice when they divide the spoil."
        Isaiah 9:3

"The Redeemer will come to Zion and to those who turn from
   transgression in Jacob says the Lord." Isaiah 59:20

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold the virgin
 will conceive and bear a son and shall call His name Emmanuel."
   Isaiah 7:14

Jesus was God's gift of love. He came to give us His peace. He taught that we might have His joy. He died, taking our sin upon Himself, giving us hope -- Christ in you the hope of glory. Jesus, God's Son came to earth, a baby taking on the full nature of humanity. From the cradle to the cross, He walked in purposeful obedience to His heavenly Father, the greatest gift of love ever given. With thankful hearts, may we praise and worship God singing :

"Now to the manger let us go to worship and adore
The tender babe upon the straw, our Savior evermore.
Glory to our God we sing Glory to our Lord and King
Peace, goodwill with all abide, This holy Christmas tide."
                                                                       (Andrew L. Skoog)

…..Pat Earl (brian.earl@sympatico,ca) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net

Sorrow and Joy

"I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them." Jesus prays for His Disciples before His death: John 17:13 NIV

Even in the presence of God's great love, there is sacrifice. Even in the experience of God's great miracles, there is hardship. Certainly Mary and Joseph experienced the mixture of great joy with human problems and difficulty: the tiring road trip and the miraculous birth in a lowly stable--the joy of the wisemen's visit and the rushed trip to Egypt to avoid the execution of baby Jesus--the devoted boy Jesus "lost" in the temple at age 12--the beautiful young man, teacher and redeemer, dying on a
cruel cross--all experiences of mixed joy and pain.

Yet in our darkest experiences, the Holy Spirit moves to soothe our pain. Jesus walks with us understanding, comforting, helping to lift and bear the load. God knows and cares about the direction and fruition of our lives. We feel the Everlasting Arms around us in the dark of night. So many times in difficult situations, the Lord has been present in Spirit with love and comfort and Bible words of wisdom. I've experienced everything from the Holy Spirit helping with housework when I was overtired with too much to do to Jesus in spiritual presence raking leaves with me. Trials in school, hardships in marriage, tough life decisions--in all of these and more the good Lord was there.

Even in the blessed Sacrament of Communion we see the mixed symbolism of joy and sacrifice: Jesus' life for our salvation, God's promise of endless love requiring ours in return in the "bride cup" of grape juice, the broken bread with the spiritual significance of sacrifice in Christ's body and in the Body of the Church. We are broken for fellowship as we learn to share and relate, to prefer others over ourselves, and to sacrifice for the good of God's Kingdom.

The beautiful Babe, the narrow way--the love of both friend and enemy--the last being first in service and Kingdom: all paradoxes of the most special and blessed life a Christian can live, culminated at last by dying into eternal life, forever with Jesus in the new heaven and earth.

Merry Christmas comes with hard-won joy, but the blessing and miracle are there. Praise the Lord for cancelled sin and the salvation the blessed Babe Jesus brings!

…..Mary-Ellen Grisham (eternallyours8@yahoo.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net )
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:47 am

STAYING WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE LEAVING

In order that Satan might not outwit us...' 2 Corinthians 2:11 NIV

Recognize who the real enemy of your marriage is. On those days when you think, 'I can't spend another moment in this relationship,' it's easy to lose perspective and focus on the wrong things. Marriage was God's idea. He planned it as the foundation of His earthly Kingdom. That makes marriage one of Satan's prime targets. It's why he poisoned the perspective and confused the thinking of the first couple. He deceived Adam into believing that Eve was his problem, blaming the fiasco on her (Genesis 3:12). But both were deceived by '...the father of lies' (John 8:44 NLT). Satan knew he could undermine God's plan by driving a wedge between the first couple, creating antagonism, blame and self-interest, and his methods haven't changed. It's why we 'keep tabs' on each other's shortcomings, identifying our mate as the problem and refusing to show grace.

Paul helps us understand how to overcome Satan's strategy. '...I have forgiven in the sight of Christ...in order that Satan might not outwit us...we are not unaware of his schemes' (2 Corinthians 2:10-11 NIV). Then he counsels us further by saying that '...love...keeps no record of wrongs...' (1 Corinthians 13:4-5 NIV). That doesn't mean love lives in denial, but that it chooses to practice self-denial! So rather than keeping score of your spouse's worst qualities, choose to look for their best ones and show your appreciation.

Nothing melts resentment and hardness like expressing appreciation for each other.

…..Written by Bob & Debby Gass by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

I'VE BEEN SCAMMED

For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading
as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades
as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade
as servants of righteousness.  2 Corinthians 11:13-15

I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. It came wrapped in a flattering official-looking letter, announcing that my son was selected to be in a book titled, Who's Who of Middle School Students. It looked wonderful, but it was a scam.

Maybe I was thrown off by the colorful letterhead, the actual street address, the website, and the phone number. Maybe it was the honor of my child being recognized nationally. Maybe it was the fact the letter repeated over and over there was no charge to be in the book. I also got confirmation they received the bio. So I was hooked, and I sent my check for $50 to purchase a copy of this wonderful chronicle announcing my son's entrance into the world of officially accomplished children.

When the book didn't arrive after a few months, I called and left a message. No response. I went on the website and sent an e-mail. No response. Finally a year later, I googled: "Who's Who of Middle School Students Scam." Low and behold, I wasn't the only one who'd been ripped off. Ugh!

I thought I was smarter than that. I watched for certain signs scam artists use, and when I didn't see any, I plunged right into deception. In hindsight, I wish I'd seen a copy of an actual book first.

Paul warned about an even greater deception that would come upon Christians. In 2 Corinthians 11, Paul warned believers about false teachers. Verses 13 through 15 read, "For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness."

These false apostles weren't preaching the true gospel of Christ, and they weren't living according to Christ's teaching. Amazingly, the Corinthians still tolerated them in their midst. Paul warned them -- don't believe everything you see and hear!

The book of Matthew records the words of Jesus about scam artists. In Matthew 7:15-16, Jesus warns, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them."

These verses warn us that Satan will try to deceive us cloaked as an agent of God, but we can identify deception and deceivers by the fruit they produce. My experience taught me to watch and wait for the evidence of truth. Studying Scripture and learning about the unchanging heart and character of God will prepare us to identify true spiritual fruit when we see it. It will help us recognize the bad, deceptive fruit as well.

…..Glynnis Whitwer by way of Cup O’Cheer (cheer316kim@sc.rr.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 07 Nov 2019, 6:24 pm

THE BIGGER PICTURE

Leith Anderson, a minister, shared this experience: As a boy, he grew up outside of New York City and was an avid fan of the old Brooklyn Dodgers. One day his father took him to a World Series game between the Dodgers and the Yankees. He was so excited, and he just knew the Dodgers would trounce the Yankees. Unfortunately, the Dodgers never got on base, and his excitement was shattered.

Years later, he was engrossed in a conversation with a man who was a walking sports almanac. Leith told him about the first major league game he attended and added, "It was such a disappointment. I was a Dodger fan and the Dodgers never got on base." The man said, "You were there? You were at the game when Don Larsen pitched the first perfect game in all of World Series history?"

Leith replied, ''Yeah, but uh, we lost." He then realized that he had been so caught up in his team's defeat that he missed out on the fact that he was a witness to a far greater page of history.

I wonder how often the same thing happens to us. We get so caught up in the "defeats" in our lives, the times when things don't turn out the way we want them to. So we're depressed because an illness continues to linger, or when people don't treat us the way we think they ought to, or when we face financial difficulties.

But we are often so blinded by the pain and disappointment of our "defeat" that we fail to appreciate the fact that we might be witness to something far greater that God is doing in our lives.

Remember when Paul was in prison? He wrote to the Philippian Christians, "But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel." (Phil. 1:12)

While most of us would have focused on the "defeat" (being in prison even though he was innocent), Paul was able to see what God was doing in his life. It's not an easy thing to do. It's never easy to view things from a heavenly perspective rather than an earthly one, but it is especially difficult in the midst of pain and defeat. But it is learning how to have a heavenly view that helps us to know joy no matter what happens in our lives.

Have a great day!

…..Alan Smith by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

PEER PRESSURE GROWS UP

The fear of man brings a snare, but he who trusts in the LORD will be exalted.
Proverbs 29:25

I used to think peer pressure only showed up in parenting books and situations facing teenagers. I thought it was something you outgrew. But I remember sitting in a business meeting with a roomful of Christian leaders and being asked to vote on a particular issue. The man seated next to me—a very good friend of mine—held a strong opinion that was different from mine. And during the debate that ensued, I chose to keep silent about my convictions. Finally, we were asked to stand up to indicate a yes vote on the measure.  My friend stood quickly to his feet. He wasn't the only one. Many others were rising in support. 

I can still feel the rumblings that clashed inside me. Even though I'm against this, I thought, how can I stay seated when one of my best friends is standing—when this whole place appears to be standing?

So I did what every preadolescent and teenager is tempted to do I caved in, and I stood up. And from that vantage point, I could clearly see two who remained seated, opposing the motion. Just two. I still remember them because of their courage and convictions.

Peer pressure. It happens, not just in school locker rooms and hallways, but around the lunch table with work associates, in the homes of people who are more affluent, during adult conversations when you don't want to admit who you really are or what you truly
believe. The fear of being different or disagreeable doesn't leave you when you reach adulthood. It changes clothes but keeps the same skeleton.

What I needed that day was integrity. I needed the character to vote for what I knew was right.

Be honest: Where are you still susceptible to peer pressure? Do you need to go against the herd today on some issues that you're facing?

Pray the same prayer you may have prayed as a teenager—that God will give you convictions so that you can stand firm.

…..Cup O’Cheer (cheer316kim@sc.rr.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 30 Oct 2019, 12:26 pm

THE GIFT OF GIVING

When I was a boy I enjoyed getting gifts. I remember the night before my birthday I would lie awake all night wondering what I would get. In the morning I would be running all over the house almost bursting with anticipation. When the time finally came to open the presents I would tear into the wrapping paper like a wild tiger until I reached the treasure underneath. I always loved what I got too. It didn’t matter if it was a book, ball, or bike. I cherished it with the pure joy of a child.

When I got older and had my own kids, however, I discovered something far more enjoyable than receiving gifts. I discovered the delight of giving them. I would watch with a smile while my children opened the gifts I bought them. The sparkle in their eyes was priceless. The smiles on their faces were invaluable. The laughter on their lips and the happy hugs they gave me were treasures beyond compare. Nothing brought me as much joy as giving them happiness with the gifts of my heart.

Our Heavenly Father has given us so many gifts in this world. He has given us the gifts of love, kindness, and compassion. He has given us the gifts of goodness, laughter, and joy. He has given us the gifts of our minds, talents, and skills. Most of all He has given us the gift of sharing our gifts with others.

Don’t waste the gifts of Heaven then. Use them. Share them. Give them to others. You were given a heart to love. You were given hands to help. You were given a mind to think. You were given a soul to shine. You were given gifts within to share with all. You were given your time here to make a difference in this world. Do so today! Nothing will bring you more love. 

Nothing will bring you greater happiness. Nothing will leave you feeling closer to God.

…..Joseph J. Mazzella (joemazzella@frontier.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:01 pm

Each of us has a beauty that longs to be revealed and released. It is you at your best! - Max Lucado

WAITING IN MOAB

Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us.
This is the Lord; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in
his salvation.  For the hand of the Lord will rest on this mountain and
Moab shall be trampled down in his place.  God will spread out his hands
in the midst of it.  Isaiah 25:9-11

From it's very beginning, the land of Moab was cursed. Moab was born to Lot and his daughter; incest was the foundation of their history.  As the nation grew stronger, they became more evil.  They practiced sorcery, open adultery, incest, and prostitution.  They even threw any unwanted children into the fire. 
When Moab is spoken of metaphorically in scripture, it refers to any place where evil reigns and God is dishonored.

As a nation, we are residing in Moab.  We are waiting for the Lord's salvation.  He is the One who will bring down the pride of His enemies, stripping them of the very things they are proud of. He will break their power and disable their ability to sin.  He will destroy all their fortresses.  While we wait, we have great hope in the promises of a God who preserves his people until the day of deliverance.

‘Living in Moab' can also describe the personal existence of many of God's children.  Maybe you are one of them.  Moab may represent your home.  You co-exist with unbelievers who are resistant to the very idea of Christ Jesus.  Sin and idolatry are at the center of your loved one's life.  They sin boldly without the slightest wince. The closer you get to Jesus, the more friction you feel in your 'Moab'.

If any of us trace back the history of our Moab-like existence, we discover bad foundations.  Just as the people of the Moabites began with an act of incest, our Moab began with seeds of unrighteousness.  Unless the very foundations are examined and sins acknowledged, Moab cannot be saved.

The land of Moab can characterize a nation, a home, a business, and even a church.  Every living entity has a beginning; a righteous or unrighteous inception.  Many try to invoke God's blessing on their Titanic.  They are painting and redecorating their sinking ship and prayers for blessing are an affront to a holy God.

Could God save the likes of a Moabite?  Oh yes.  Look at Ruth.  A daughter of Moab left her homeland and turned her face toward Yahweh to humbly follow Him.  From her line, came our Savior.          

If you dwell with Moabites and God has not delivered you out of their hand, be joyful in Hope, yet humble.  Pray for their salvation.  One of them could be a 'Ruth'.  And when there is blatant sin, ask God for the strength to speak the words of Jesus. He set for us an example ~ for He modeled ministry against the backdrop of Jewish religiosity and the Roman Empire. 

…..as seen in Daughters of Promise by way of Kim Quiggle (cheer316kim@sc.rr.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

SURVEYING THE CRISIS OF WORSHIP

There is a crisis of worship in our land. People are staying away from church in droves. One survey indicated that the two chief reasons people drop out of church are that it is boring and irrelevant.

If people find worship boring and irrelevant, it can only mean they have no sense of the presence of God in it. When we study the act of worship in Scripture and church history, we discover a variety of human responses to the sense of the presence of God. Some
people tremble in terror, falling with their faces to the ground; others weep in mourning; some are exuberant in joy; still others are reduced to a pensive silence. Though the responses differ, one reaction we never find is boredom. It is impossible to be bored in
the presence of God (if you know that He is there).

Neither is it possible for a sentient creature to find his or her encounter with God a matter of irrelevance. Nothing—and no one—is more relevant to human existence than the living God.

Coram Deo: Living in the Presence of God.

Do you find worship boring and irrelevant? If so, pray for a renewed sense of God's presence.

For Further Study:

Psalms 95:6: "Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker."

Psalm 34:1: "I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth."

Psalm 50:23: "Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conduct aright I will show the salvation of God."

…..as seen in In the Presence of God by way of Cup O’Cheer (cheer316kim@sc.rr.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 Empty 10 Ways to Respond to a Loved One Exhibiting Signs of Depression

Post  Admin Fri 13 Sep 2019, 11:11 am

https://www.crosswalk.com/slideshows/10-ways-to-respond-to-a-loved-one-exhibiting-signs-of-depression.html?
10 Ways to Respond to a Loved One Exhibiting Signs of Depression
Carrie Lowrance
Crosswalk Contributor
10 Ways to Respond to a Loved One Exhibiting Signs of Depression
“And now my life seeps away. Depression haunts my days.” Job 30:16 (NLT)

One of the hardest things to do is watch a loved one who is exhibiting signs of depression. You know something is wrong, but you don’t know what it is. You try to remember if they told you about any situations or relationships that may have caused the issue, but you can’t come up with anything. It’s hard to know what to do or what to say. You don’t want to say the wrong thing, but you don’t always know what the right thing is either. This is especially true if they either don’t acknowledge it or don’t want to talk about it. Sometimes our loved ones do acknowledge it and push us away.

So, what are some good ways to respond to a person with depression?

1. Ask if they want to talk about it.

Start by asking your loved one if they want to talk about it. If they say “No.” then let it rest. They may get agitated or defensive but don’t take it personally. Giving them some space will be the best thing for them and eventually, they may come and talk to you.

If they do choose to talk to you, sit down with them and give them your undivided attention. Look them in the eyes so they know that you are listening to every word they say.

2. Tell them they are not alone.

Let your loved one know that they are not alone. Depression can be isolating and many people feel they have to handle it on their own. They feel like others will not understand or make light of their situation. By telling them they are not alone, it lets them know that they have your support.

3. Ask if they would like a hug.
Slide 3 of 10
Sometimes hugs are like a balm to the soul. They have healing powers that words sometimes don’t. The simplest act of physical touch-hugs, hand holding, etc can make a world of difference and enhance your loved one’s security in their relationship with you. Don't underestimate the power of something so simple.

4. Don’t ask why.

I know this sounds counterintuitive, but here is why I say this. I have a friend who suffers from depression. One of the things he appreciates most about me is that I never ask why he is depressed. I never push or ask a lot of questions. I let him know that I am sorry he is feeling this way and that I am here for him when he needs me. If he chooses, he can come to me and explain why he is feeling the way he is. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn’t. And that is okay. However, not asking why keeps the lines of our communication open.

5. Remind them that they have worth and value.

Remind your loved one of their worth and how much not only you love them but Jesus loves them as well. Remind them that you see more than the depression they are going through, you see them as Jesus does, for we have great worth to him. Let your loved one know how valuable they are to you, those around them, and Jesus. Let them know the ways they bring value to the world and to the relationships around them. Tell them they are priceless.

“Knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold … but with the precious blood of Christ” (1 Peter 1:18-19). 

(And if God was willing to pay the highest price in the universe to redeem them, then they are truly of infinite value.)

6. Remind them that they are important.
Slide 6 of 10
Tell your loved one how important they are. Reflect on the ways they are important to those around them and in their community. For example, if they were not a great leader at their company or a committed volunteer at the animal shelter, it wouldn’t be the same because of their unique contribution to society everyday. Tell them how important they are to you too.

7. Ask them how you can best help them.

Sometimes it’s easy for us just to assume what people need. Ask your loved one how you can best help them and listen closely. The answer you may hear may be hard to swallow (“I just want to be alone.” or “I don’t want to talk to anyone.”) but try to respect their needs as much as you can.

8. Tell them they are loved.

I often will tell my friends who suffer depression that they are loved more than they could ever comprehend. I also remind them that I can still see the best in them even if they can’t in this particular time and place. They also know that there is nothing they could ever do to push me away. I strive to love them like Jesus loves me.

9. Help them find resources.
If your loved one has decided that they need help, offer to assist them with finding the right resources. There is a chance they may be feeling too bad to do it themselves. Remember that the fact that they have come to this realization in the first place is a good step in them getting better. You may even want to offer to go with them and take the first step for support.

10. Pray.
Depression can be a delicate thing. Watching your loved one suffer is so hard, and yet, it is easy to still be at a loss. Are you still struggling with not knowing what to say or what to do? You can pray right now.

Dear Lord,
You know my heart is breaking for my loved one and you see the pain they are going through. You know that I want to help but I am at a loss as to what to do. Please help me in this situation with my loved one. Please give me the wisdom and discernment to hear your voice as to what I should say or do. Soften my heart so that I can empathize with them and give them the best comfort possible. Please help them to see my questions and reminders as a way of showing how much I care for them and not to be overbearing. If they need help finding resources, please bring them to my attention in such a way that I will know they came from you. If it is your will that I accompany my loved one to their first doctor’s or counseling appointment, please help my loved one to open up to me. I pray for peace, comfort, wisdom and healing for all parties involved. In your name I pray. Amen.

Carrie Lowrance is a freelance writer and author. She has been featured on Huffington Post, Bon Bon Break, The Penny Hoarder, Parentmap, etc. She is also the author of three books of poetry and one children’s book, Don’t Eat Your Boogers (You’ll Turn Green). She writes her own child care blog at www.freelancebylowrance.com.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 12 Sep 2019, 1:34 pm

FROM START TO FINISH

“God’s Word is a lamp to my feet, a light for my path.” (Psalm 119: 105)

“I will study Your commandments and reflect on Your ways. I will delight
in Your principles and not forget Your Word.” (Psalm 119:15,16)

“Forever O’ Lord, Your Word stands firm in heaven.” (Psalm 119:89)

“This Good News was promised long ago by God through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures.’(Romans 1:2)

One of the best gifts God has given to us is the ability to read; and along with that gift, He has given us His written Word, the Bible. Inside this wonderful volume, we find sixty-six books, all written under the inspiration of God over a period of several hundred years. The Bible from start to finish points us to Jesus Christ, God’s precious Son.

Jesus, himself, when speaking to two disheartened disciples enroute to Emmaus, said, “Wasn’t it clearly predicted by the prophets that the Messiah would have to suffer all these things before entering His time of glory? Then Jesus quoted passages from the writings of Moses and all the prophets explaining what all the scriptures said about Himself.” (Luke 24:26,27)

Some people feel the Old Testament is irrelevant. That is far from the case. In it, God talks about creation. He explains how everything was perfect and how He made man in His own image, breathing life into him, and giving him the job of caring for the world. The Word, Jesus, was present at creation: “Christ is the One through whom God created everything in heaven and on earth.” - Col. 1:16

Not long after, one disobedient act by the first two people created occurred, bringing sin to the world. God spoke to the enticer saying, “From now on, you and the woman will be enemies and your offspring and her offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head and you will strike His heel.”(Genesis 3:15) A Messiah would come and the enemy would be crushed.

Many prophets foretold the coming of this special One: “Unto us a Son is born, unto us a child is given and the government will be upon His shoulder and He will be called wonderful, counselor, mighty God everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.(Isaiah :9) Other prophecies spoke of His virgin birth, His humiliation, His crucifixion and resurrection.

Many of the Psalms speak of the Christ who was to come: “My God, My God. Why have you forsaken Me?”(Psalm 22) “Your throne O’ God is forever and ever, a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom, You love righteousness and hate wickedness. Therefore Your God has anointed you with oil of gladness more than Your
companions. (Psalm 45:6, 7) Several others speak of the Lord’s ministry and His position as the chief cornerstone of God’s church.

The New Testament gives the fulfillment of many prophecies foretold in the Old. We read of the Messiah who did come, His many teachings, His death and resurrection. The Bible ends with these words spoken by Jesus: “I am the Alpha and the Omega – the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”(Rev. 22:13)

From beginning to the end, God’s Word is relevant. Dig in and enjoy the read!

…..Pat Earl (brian.earl@sympatico.ca) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 04 Sep 2019, 9:17 pm

I’LL GIVE YOU TIME TO GO NUMB

I had a dental appointment this week and after the inevitable injection before a little drilling the technician said while leaving the room, "I’ll give you a little time to go numb." Of course this brought up the question, “How much time does it take to go numb?”

What comes to mind in a religious sense; is how much time does it take to harden your heart? How much time does it take before you feel no sense of guilt when you no longer look to God for guidance, let alone worship him?

I know so many people who at one time had a love for God and a love for his church; then unexpectedly it seems that they are no longer interested. They lost their joy; the joy of gathering with others; to worship the God of the universe. Sometimes I hear comments such as: "Going to church just doesn't excite me anymore,"  "I can worship as well at home," or "I find God on the lake or golf course."

How long does it take for someone to go numb? Going numb is when you have a lack of feeling. Could it be the responsibility of the people or place you have been worshiping? Possibly it is, but more than likely it is a change in your own heart that has taken place. Could you be going numb? Maybe you are already there!

The church at Ephesus was a shining light for God before the people of the world. They have a whole book of the bible devoted to the church there, most of it positive. Yet, in Revelation 2:4-5 we read a message from God for them. He says, "But I have this against you, that you left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen and repent and do the first works again; or else I come to you, and will move your candlestick out of its place, unless you repent and return to loving me and putting me first."

How did that happen? How could this God loving, Mission supporting, Evangelist church forget God? When did they go numb? The answer is, One day at a time… one thought at a time…one action at a time and before they knew it they no longer felt what they had before for God and His church.

How about you, how are you doing?

…..Kim Quiggle (cheer316kim@sc.rr.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 26 Jun 2019, 10:44 am

Abundant Life

“Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher in Ecclesiastes 1:2b unless
we “fear God and keep his commandments.” Ecclesiastes 12: 13b. (NIV)

And Jesus, the Good Shepherd, says, “I am come that they might have
life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” John 10: 10 (KJV)

The wisdom of Ecclesiastes makes it clear that Solomon, the likely author, found everything in life meaningless without God. He found that going his own way in accomplishing works or seeking pleasure or courting wisdom was worthless unless he obeyed the word of God and kept His commandments. Living selfishly or immorally outside of God’s directions for the good life ruins self-worth and takes the joy out of what God meant to give us for a joyful, abundant life.

Accomplishments and hard won achievements bless us if we work for the right reasons and with God’s guidance. Works done for power or selfish ends, for pride or the praise of the world become a form of vanity.

Gain that brings the meeting of genuine needs is a blessing. Amassing more than we need for the sake of possessing and controlling and manipulating ultimately brings sorrow and emptiness. Things or riches are no substitute for the blessing of God.

Love of others and love of one special spouse can bring us endless joy if we remember the advice of Scripture. Love outside of Christian marriage or without proper regard for the needs of others can bring sorrow and loneliness, with a sense of being incomplete or worthless and empty.

The list could go on, but the truth clearly emerges. The abundant life comes for each of us when we obey God and live within Bible guidelines. This blunt conclusion may seem inhuman and harsh to some, but those immersed in trying to live the Christian life find joy and fulfillment and the blessing of God.

A recent movie shown at church entitled “The Song” was a modern day rendering of Ecclesiastes that made these truths very clear. While the movie was hard to watch during some parts, it made the inevitable truths of Scripture very evident through the example of the musician who sinned and repented. 

While Jesus came to free us from slavery to sin and from self-righteous practice of God’s law without agape love, the Spirit brings truth and the conviction of sin. The Spirit brings the guidance and strength of the law lived with love.

…..Mary-Ellen Grisham (meginrose@gmail.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:03 pm

QUOTES ON MISSION WORK

Many of us cannot reach the mission fields on our feet, but we can reach them on our knees.

We will never bring all the world into Christ until we bring Christ into all the world.

God’s standards for missions:
    Those of God
    With the Word of God
    In the Spirit of God
    For the glory of God.

We’ll have no faith in the mission before us unless we have faith in the Master behind us.

Every heart without Christ is a mission field, and every heart with Christ is a missionary.

We’ll never get others to obey the great commands until we obey the great commission!

We cannot expect the world to react to the Word, till we act on it!

We’ll never get excited over sowing the seed, till we get excited over seeing the need!”

We can’t make Christ mean anything to others, till we make Him mean everything to us!

Let’s not jeeringly say, “Look what the world is coming to,” but joyfully say, “Look what has come to the world!”

We will make more conversions, when we have more convictions!

We’ll never get others to see the joy of claiming Christ, till we get ourselves to see the joy of proclaiming Christ!

We’ll never be challenged by seeing through our task, till we recognize the challenge of seeing our task through!

We’ll never really consider the lost, till we stop considering the cost.

We’ll quit trying to save money, only when we really start trying to save men!

We’ll be in a better position to help, when we are in a better disposition to help!

We won’t have to pay the penalty in the reaping, if we are willing to pay the price in the sowing!

…..Cup O'Cheer (cheer316@sc.rr.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

A Song of Joy

There are times when we feel that we are not as close to God as we could be. Perhaps stress, anger, troubled circumstances, fear, or busy schedules make us feel that we are not staying as open to the guidance of God and His Word as we should be. We may even feel a little alienated or estranged from fellow Christians and not quite in sync with worship. 

We realize from reading God’s Word that many Bible people experienced these times of trial, doubt, or testing, with the accompanying feelings of loneliness and separation. Some were tested and gave in to sin. Many hesitated in doing God’s will. Names that come readily to mind are Moses (who didn’t like public speaking), David (who let his desires take control for a time), Jonah (who was a little picky about where he wanted to preach), and even Elijah (who after major victories still hid-out and despaired of life). Job, ever faithful to God, is still tried and tested as are Jesus’ disciples, Peter most notably perhaps.

Sometimes we grieve deeply because of recurring “triggers” in our lives that make us fall short. These aggravations and sore points conquer us again and again. With prayer and Bible reading, we can get wise to ourselves and begin to re-structure typical behavior responses so that lashing out can give way to a more controlled response or disciplined behavior.

Some, however, become so dissatisfied with their behavior that they think of themselves as unworthy and go so far as to pull away from regular worship and try to replace church and Christian fellowship with a variety of unsatisfying substitutes that only make them feel worse. In this way, they take themselves from the spiritual nourishment that could remedy their life situation and from the caring relationships that could supply comfort.

Even in all these circumstances, if we stop to consider carefully, we know that God, through Jesus, understands all these human situations and concerns. Through Jesus, he has confronted all these conflicts, trials, and temptations, and through Jesus, we can still triumph in our daily walk.

We can first of all begin by being thankful that God knows and understands and continues reaching toward us with love. We can be thankful for Bible truth and caring friends who keep reaching to us with guidance, wisdom, and love. We can be thankful for our church family and for caring pastors who love their people and live their lives
in steady concern and fellowship, never removing themselves from ordinary life but participating fully with love and kindness.

And as we run back to God, he runs to us. The outpouring of joy that envelops us as we realize that nothing can separate us from the love of God, through Christ Jesus, becomes our biggest source of thanksgiving… and praise.

And in the stillness of inner peace, we find our true being and purpose in praising the Lord and in loving and serving others. We are ready to sing our song of joy and thanksgiving to our Lord.

…..Mary-Ellen Grisham (sonsong@charter.net) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Jun 2019, 2:08 pm

Forty-nine years ago (July 20, 1969), two human beings changed history by walking on the surface of the moon.

But, what happened before Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong exited the Lunar Module is perhaps even more amazing, if only because so few people know about it. I'm talking about the fact that Buzz Aldrin took communion on the surface of the moon. Some months after his return, he wrote about it in Guideposts magazine.

The background to the story is that Aldrin was an elder at his Presbyterian Church in Texas during this period in his life; and, knowing that he would soon be doing something unprecedented in human history, he felt that he should mark the occasion somehow. He asked his minister to help him and so the minister consecrated a communion wafer and a small vial of communion wine. Buzz Aldrin took them with him out of the Earth's orbit and onto the surface of the moon. He and Armstrong had only been on the lunar surface for a few minutes when Aldrin made the following public statement:

“This is the LM (Lunar Module) pilot. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours and to give thanks in his or her own way.” 

He then ended radio communication, and there, on the silent surface of the moon, 250,000 miles from home, he read a verse from the Gospel of John, and he took communion.

Here is his account of what happened:

"In the radio blackout, I opened the little plastic packages which contained the bread and the wine. I poured the wine into the chalice our church had given me. In the one-sixth gravity of the moon, the wine slowly curled and gracefully came up the side of the cup. Then I read the scripture: 'I am the vine, you are the branches Whosoever abides in me will bring forth much fruit ... Apart from me you can do nothing.'

"I had intended to read my communion passage back to Earth, but at the last minute [they] had requested that I not do this. NASA was already embroiled in a legal battle with Madelyn Murray O'Hare, the celebrated opponent of religion, over the Apollo 8 crew's reading from Genesis while orbiting the moon at Christmas. I agreed reluctantly."

"I ate the tiny toast and swallowed the wine. I gave thanks for the intelligence and spirit that had brought two young pilots to the Sea of Tranquility. It was interesting for me to think that the very first liquid ever poured on the moon and the very first food eaten there were the communion elements."

"And, of course, it's interesting to think that some of the first words spoken on the moon were the words of Jesus Christ, who made the Earth and the moon - and who, in the immortal words of Dante, is Himself the "Love that moves the Sun and other stars."

How many of you knew this? Too bad this type of news doesn't travel as fast as the bad does.

Share with others you know.

The nicest place to be is in someone's thoughts, the safest place to be is in someone's prayers, and the very best place to be is in the hands of God.

…..Shared by a member of the “Christian Voices” family by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 24 May 2019, 2:14 pm

BE ALERT

Watch! Be alert! For you don't know when the time is coming. (Mark 13:33 (HCSB))

Thoughts! Anyone who is a seasoned hunter knows to always be alert, watching for your quarry. We learn a skill like this through our mistakes. On one particular archery elk hunt, I thought I was doing my best--moving slowly and watching intently for movement or the shape or color of an elk through the trees. But what I didn't do was to notice the huge bull elk bedded down behind a log just 20 yards in front of me. Of course, he spooked and I never even got an arrow knocked for a shot.

Jesus instructs us to be watching for signs of His return, well-grounded in our relationship with Him, and knowing what His Word says about the end times. I pray that you and I will be alert and ready with anticipation for the day He comes again!!! Maybe today!!!

…..Cup O'Cheer (cheer316@sc.rr.com) by way of “Christian Voices’ (christianvoices@att.net)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?

Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. Hebrews 10:24–25

A funny thing about very small children is that when they are hungry, they can't say they are hungry. Nor can they feed themselves. So they just start crying, and you are trying to figure out what the problem is. Then you realize they are just hungry. A lot of times new believers just need to be fed. They need to be given the Word of God.

When children start to eat, they obviously start with nursing or a bottle. Then they move on to baby food. Then they move on to little bits of food. You don't give a child a porterhouse steak to begin with. A child needs help in being nurtured.

The same is true of new believers. We need to help them as they are starting to dig into the Word of God. That means sitting down with them, reading the Bible with them, and explaining it to them.

And let me tell you something: This is a fringe benefit. As you watch a new believer discover God's Word for the first time, you will rediscover it for yourself. Sometimes we have heard things so many times that we start to take them for granted. Oh, yeah . . . yeah . . . yeah . . . I have heard about that. Oh, yeah . . . I know the definition of justification. Oh, yeah . . . I know all about forgiveness. Oh, yeah . . . I know about the Rapture and the Second Coming. I know all of this stuff.

They don't. And when you tell them about it, they are saying, "What? Are you kidding me?"

New believers will energize you as you stabilize them. Discipling others - that is our job as followers of Jesus Christ.

…..Cup O'Cheer (cheer316@sc.rr.com) by way of “Christian Voices’ (christianvoices@att.net)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No Unfinished Works of Grace
I have not had the opportunity to travel much, but several years ago my dad won a trip to Italy through his business and he asked me to go along. A highlight of the trip was visiting Florence, the great city of the Renaissance.

One afternoon out of curiosity I went to a museum where the some works of Michelangelo were displayed. As we viewed the half-finished sculpture of St. Matthew the tour guide explained that this unfinished work was a prime example of Michelangelo’s philosophy of art. He believed that in a stone there was a figure or statue waiting to be released.

The work of the artist was to free the statue from the stone. The statute was so lifelike that I thought any minute St. Matthew might just step out of that huge stone. As I looked at the half-finished statute, I could see that the artist had begun to free the statue but had not been able to complete it. The tour guide went on to explain that Michelangelo had numerous works he never finished.

As I thought about God’s work in us, I realized that God has begun a work in us to conform us to the image of Christ. However, unlike Michelangelo, God does not stop working in our lives until he finishes what he intends to accomplish. According to Philippians 1:6, God will finish what He has started. Ultimately, God has no unfinished works of grace.

"Being confident of this very thing, that he who has begun
               a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1:6)

……Dr. Ron Meeks, Blue Mountain College by way of The Daily Encourager (third_wall@comcast.net) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

GIVE THANKS!

Greg Anderson, in "Living Life on Purpose" tells a story about a man whose wife had left him. He was completely depressed. He had lost faith in himself, in other people, in God - he found no joy in living. One rainy morning this man went to a small neighborhood restaurant for breakfast.
Although several people were at the diner, no one was speaking to anyone else. Our miserable friend hunched over the counter, stirring his coffee with a spoon.
In one of the small booths along the window was a young mother with a little girl. They had just been served their food when the little girl broke the sad silence by almost shouting, "Momma, why don't we say our prayers here?"

The waitress who had just served their breakfast turned around and said, "Sure, honey, we can pray here. Will you say the prayer for us?" And she turned and looked at the rest of the people in the restaurant and said, "Bow your heads."

Surprisingly, one by one, the heads went down. The little girl then bowed her head, folded her hands, and said, "God is great, God is good, and we thank him for our food. Amen."

That prayer changed the entire atmosphere. People began to talk with one another. The waitress said, "We should do that every morning."

"All of a sudden," said our friend, "my whole frame of mind started to improve. From that little girl's example, I started to thank God for all that I did have and stopped majoring in all that I didn't have. I started to be grateful."

"In everything give thanks:
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
(1 Thes. 5:18)

…..The Daily Encourager (third_wall@comcast.net) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 17 Apr 2019, 11:28 am

CIRCLES OF LOVE

It was over 20 years ago. I was holding my baby son in my arms while my two other children played under a big tree in the front yard of an old house. The house was also a local food bank, and I was watching my children while my wife went in. I had been laid off work for a long time, and we were out of food. I tried to laugh as my children chased each other around the tree, but my heart was too heavy. Despair hung around me like a cloud. All I could feel was fear. Finally my wife came out holding a large bag of food, and we smiled at each other. Thanks to the kindness of others our children would not go hungry that night.

It was yesterday. I found myself outside the doors of another food bank. Thanks to the kindness of a kindred spirit, I had some extra money in my wallet and a longing to share this gift with others. I went to the local grocery store and bought what I could with what I had. Then I carried in the bags of food to help restock the food bank's sparse shelves. The people there thanked me several times, but I felt a little embarrassed as I accepted their gratitude. I was, after all, only completing a circle of kindness that began over twenty years ago.

This world is full of circles of love. Every smile we share, thing we give, and act of kindness we do flows out from us to touch others. Then it continues on going from heart to heart and soul to soul until it circles the world and returns to us again. I was just happy to take my place in one of those circles yesterday and to pass on the loving-kindness that had been shared with me.

Don't be afraid to take your own place in these circles of love. A kind word, a caring smile, a gentle touch, a helping hand, or a simple act of charity can change another's life and this world as well. Circle all of your days with love then. Love will warm your heart. Love will bring you joy. Love will spiral you to Heaven and always lead you back to God.

……Joseph J. Mazzella (joemazzella@frontier.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
_________________________________________________________________________________________

THE JARS
The preacher placed two identical jars on the table next to the pulpit. He quoted I Samuel 16:7 -

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
He explained, "These jars came from the same factory, were made of the same materials, and can hold the same amount. But they are different."  Then he upset one of the jars and it oozed out honey. He turned over the other jar and vinegar spilled out.

"When a jar is upset, whatever is in it comes out. Until the jars were upset, they looked alike. The difference lay within, and could not be seen. When they were upset, their contents were revealed. Until we are upset, we put on a good front. But when we are upset, we reveal our innermost thoughts and attitudes, for "out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks" (Luke 6:45). 

What if someone tipped you over today? What would flow out? Would you reveal the "honey" of grace and patience, or the "vinegar" of anger and sarcasm?

…..The Daily Encourager (dlangerfeld@harrisburgbaptist.org) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
______________________________________________________________________________________

On Eagle's Wings

This afternoon as I sat on our front porch enjoying the October sunshine, my gaze was drawn upward toward the blue sky. High above the trees, two birds were flying. As I watched the movement of their wings, I detected a definite difference. The smaller of the two flapped its wings quickly, over and over again. Movement required a lot of work on the part of the bird. The larger bird soared upward with the greatest of ease, gliding on air currents, moving quickly and effortlessly to its destination.

As Christians travelling through life, we often resemble one bird or the other. For some of us the journey is arduous. We believe the Bible, but we also believe that we have to work hard to be good, to be kind, to obey God's commandments, to please our Heavenly Father. From morning until night, we flap our wings and at the end of the day fall into bed exhausted, disappointed with our slow progress.

Others move through life wrapped in an aura of peace and joy. Pausing, listening, flapping, gliding, drawn toward their destination by a still small voice they have learned to heed. When the winds of trouble blow, and the storms of life come their way, they take shelter until it’s safe to soar once more.

What is it that makes the difference? Both love the Lord. Both desire to follow and be the people God desires them to be. The answer can be found in Isaiah 40:31 -

“Those who wait on the Lord will find new strength.
They will fly high on wings like eagles
They will run and not grow weary
They will walk and not faint.”

Waiting is the key. Abiding in Jesus. Letting Him work in and through us. Resting and being renewed. This requires faith and trust. Faith to believe that God has a plan and He will never lead us astray. Trust to allow our Sovereign Lord to work out His purposes in our lives, knowing that whatever happens will in the end be for our good and His glory. Just as one bird relied on air currents, allowing it to soar into the blue, we too, relying on God, can travel life's journey on wings of eagles. We can run and not grow weary. We can walk and not faint.

……© Pat Earl (brian.earl@sympatico.ca) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS - Page 2 Empty THOUGHT PROVOKING - INSPIRATIONALS

Post  Admin Fri 15 Feb 2019, 1:49 am

A CHILDLIKE AMAZEMENT

Matthew 18:3 "And He said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become
    like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.'"

When my daughter was four years old, we read about young Samuel. While discussing this story, my daughter showed me the excited faith God calls us to maintain. Perhaps her faith could teach us all...

As a young boy, Samuel was ministering with an old priest named Eli. One night God called to Samuel, but Samuel thought it was Eli's voice. Eli said he didn't call and told Samuel to go back to bed. After God called a few more times, Samuel realized who was calling and Answered: "Speak, for Your servant is listening" (1 Samuel 3:10). God then gave Samuel a message - but the message was all about Eli.

My daughter asked, "Why did God speak to Samuel if the message was really to Eli?" We talked about how we must be ready and willing to hear God. I said Eli may have had some problems or distractions in his life which kept him from hearing God, so God spoke His message through a child. I said little kids (like her) can often hear God better than older people (like me).

"But, I don't hear God talk to me," she said, with a little disappointment in her voice. I explained how God doesn't usually speak so we can hear Him with our ears; rather, His Spirit speaks to our heart and we hear Him as we listen to our heart. Her little eyes widened, "Like today when I was going to sit on one of the baby toys - Jesus told my heart I was too big and shouldn't do it so I listened to what He said."
I encouraged her that this is exactly how God speaks to us, we just need to learn how to listen and then obey. My daughter thought for a moment and then slowly shook her head in amazement: "Wow! That's sooooo cool!!"

Heavenly Father, I pray that Your Word never becomes just an interesting collection of stories. You created us, loved us, and will one day call us Home to be with You for all eternity - and Father, that's sooooo cool!! Help us to come into Your presence with a thankful and loving heart. Strengthen our faith every day and allow us to continually look on You and Your wonders with a childlike amazement.

Have a Christ Centered Day!

….. By Steve Troxel, God's Daily Word Ministries, www.gdwm.org) Edited] by way of Cup O’Cheer (cheer316@sc.rr.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but
          to those of us being saved it is the power of God.” (I Corinthians 1:18)

The message of the cross is the power of God. 

2000 years ago, God decided it was time to build a bridge and show His beloved creations the way home. But sinful man could not approach a holy God without the covering of blood from a sacrifice. It was time to make the final sacrifice. 

God knew that we needed help. As we drifted farther and farther from His heart, God knew that we needed a Savior who could how us God’s character, and who would save us from the sin that threatened to cut us off from eternity with God.

And so God the Father sent His son. The Son that was present at the creation of the world. The Son that was not created, but created all things. The Son who sits at the right hand of the Father, equal in majesty and power. 

Jesus was sent into a world that was looking for someone else. Oh yes, the people of God were waiting for a Savior. Only they wanted a warrior, someone big and flamboyant.   

But this was not to be. Jesus was a man with dusty feet, a ragged band of followers, and no bed to rest His head at night, no powerful earthly kings to protect His interests.   

Was this Israel’s long-awaited savior? This man preached about loving enemies, forgiving those who offend you, esteeming others as better than yourself. His words proclaimed a way of life that was foreign to the people’s ears. They must have thought, “If we don’t defend ourselves, and protect our rights, then who will?” 

You see, these people had been oppressed. They knew they needed a savior. But not this kind of man.

But oh, what a man this was.   

In His Name demons fled, dead men came alive, blind people saw, lame people walked. 
In His Name water was turned into wine and people’s secrets were revealed
In His Name darkness fled because it could not bear the light.

This was no ordinary man. This was God in the flesh. Jesus told them so but they didn’t believe. 

Many people considered Jesus and His words foolish. They scoffed at Him. Surely Jesus didn’t know the God they knew – the God they had created in their minds. After all, this Jesus spoke as if all people had sinned and the religious people of the day were certain they were above reproach. 

And then the final blow was dealt to confirm their suspicions. Jesus allowed Himself to be arrested. He didn’t defend Himself when accusations were heaped on Him.   
If He were truly God, they thought, He would not have allowed Himself to be convicted by the authority of man. The God they thought they knew would never have allowed Himself to be humiliated, whipped, beaten, ridiculed and then nailed to a cross. The God they thought they knew would never have been held to that cross by three pitiful nails. 

Now here’s the most amazing part of all. Those nails didn’t hold Jesus to that cross. At any time God could have sent angels down to whisk His beloved Son away … away from the pain and heartbreak that he suffered. No, Jesus was held on that cross by His love for you and me. Jesus was the only one who could do it, and He did it for us.

That’s the message of the cross – that you and I can be reconciled with God eternally through Christ’s sacrifice! It’s a free gift from a loving God. Will you accept
God’s gift today?

My prayer for today: Heavenly Father, thank you for sending Jesus to save me from my sins.  Thank you that you loved me enough to send a perfect sacrifice, so that we could live together eternally. I confess that I am a sinner and need forgiveness. I ask you to come into my heart, and I commit to following Jesus as my personal Lord and s sacrifice. 

Have you accepted Christ as both your Savior and the Lord of your life? If not, make today the day to invite Jesus into your heart and life.

…..as seen in Growthtrac ] by way of Cup O’Cheer (cheer316@sc.rr.com) and “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

Where Angels Walk

"Every morning when I got off the commuter train, I'd pass this homeless man on my way to work," Bonnie relates. "I've never gotten involved with people like this because I have mixed feelings---would my donation buy drugs for them, or enable them to stay helpless?

"Perhaps! Yet, Bonnie seemed drawn to this particular vagrant. She found herself asking a different question: What would Jesus have her do?

Gradually Bonnie made eye contact with this man. Brief conversations followed. His name was Phil, he told her, and he had been on the streets about a year. Beyond that, he would not elaborate. Sometimes Bonnie's only connection with Phil was a smile, and a cheery greeting. At other times, she'd bring him a sandwich, or give him some coins. "The people at my office teased me unmercifully," she says. "They felt I was a "soft touch," and hopelessly gullible." But she kept on; somehow it just seemed right.

One day, however, Phil was not at his usual post. Weeks passed, and he didn't return. Bonnie was concerned, but the merchants and police officers along her route didn't know what had happened to him. Gradually, she forgot too...

..Until one morning when, as she passed the corner, someone called her name. She turned around. Coming toward her was Phil! But not the same disheveled beggar she had befriended over a year ago. No, this Phil was clean-shaven, clear-eyed, wearing a suit and a smile. "Phil!" she gasped, "what happened to you?"

"You did, Bonnie." He was standing in front of her now, and she could hardly believe the change in him.

"Me? I didn't..."

"Oh, but you did. You, and two men who work together on the next block. For that whole year I lived on the streets, you three were the only ones who saw me a person. You looked at me, and talked to me. One day I asked myself: if there are three people in the world who believe in me, why can't I believe in me? So I went into rehab, and here I am."
He had a job, he explained, and wouldn't be downtown any more. So he had come to his old corner one last time, to see if he could locate the three who had changed his life. "I found the men yesterday," Phil explained. "I was just waiting for you."

"Whatever you do to the least of My children, you do to Me."  Bonnie could hardly see Phil through the tears in her eyes. But she knew now the Source of that unusual urge to "get involved, if only in a small way. How glad she was that she had obeyed!

…..Joan Webster Anderson (joanwanderson.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (christianvoices@att.net)

Last edited by Admin on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2