World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 31 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 1 Bot

Admin

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Biden Bless/Abortions with cross sign
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyToday at 2:02 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyToday at 2:01 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyToday at 1:51 pm by Admin

» AISH
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyToday at 1:49 pm by Admin

» Haggadah Passover
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyYesterday at 10:45 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyYesterday at 10:03 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyYesterday at 9:12 pm by Admin

» The Great Tragedy - Greg Laurie Devotion
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyYesterday at 8:27 pm by Admin

» BooK of Revelation Various
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyYesterday at 5:00 pm by Admin

» Israel War UPDATE
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:53 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:46 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:43 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 11:02 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 10:51 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 10:31 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 8:33 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 8:28 pm by Admin

» Celebrate the Feast of Moshiach
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024, 7:04 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 11:19 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 11:09 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression?

Go down

What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression? Empty What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression?

Post  Admin Fri 30 Jul 2021, 5:13 pm

What Does it Really Feel Like to Have Depression?
Michelle Rabon
iBelieve Contributor
2021 Jul 28
In the last decade, we have been trying more and more to engage the mental health conversation. Many are trying to change the stigma and narrative that lays before us about those who have a mental illness. That work, however, doesn’t change the facts of the epidemic of mental health globally.

https://www.ibelieve.com/health-beauty/what-does-it-really-feel-like-to-have-depression.html?utm_source=Crosswalk&utm_campaign=Connecting%20through%20Crisis%20-%20Crosswalk.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=5126985&recip=488938472
Mental health covers a broad spectrum of disease and illness, including anxiety, bipolar, PTSD, and more. Yet, the number of patients facing depression has grown exponentially.
Globally, 264 million people are currently dealing with depression.
The hardest part of the conversation isn’t the number of those suffering daily, but the long-term effect of the illness.
Each year, 800,000 people die to suicide. It is the second leading cause of death in 15-29-year-olds, according to the World Health Organization.

The facts are hard to swallow; they are even harder for those who live in the middle of it daily.

I used to stay out of the conversation. I wouldn’t advocate even as one who wrestled with anxiety and depression since my teenage years. The conversation is too hard and, at times, too muddy for those on the outside to make sense of.

“Snap out of it.”

“Your life is not that bad.”

“Why can’t you just be happy?”

Those are common phrases that those who have never walked through depression will bring to the table.

The truth remains if you have never experienced the bonds of depression, you cannot begin to understand the turmoil that comes with it.

Photo Credit: © Unsplash/Fernando

Seeing Depression Today and in the Pages of Scripture
This isn’t a current-day problem. It is one that we see in the pages of Scripture. Through the Psalms, this idea of sorrow, depression, and lament are scattered throughout. David’s laments were poured out through Psalms. Depression isn’t new.

A sorrow-filled and depressed mind is the reminder that you and I live in a sinful and broken world.

It is not as simple as turning a light switch off and on. It is not as cut and dry as getting over it and moving on. Depression is a cage around the mind. There is no quick fix for that; it takes work, time, counseling, and sometimes medication to help your mind break free of the bonds.

Engaging the mental health conversation begins by asking good questions, then moving from questions to either getting help for ourselves or others. The fruit of good questions may also be learning to extend compassion and empathy to those facing depression.

Some good questions may look something like, "what does depression feel like?” “How do I know if that is what I am battling?” “How do I know if someone I love is battling depression?”

From my personal experience, there are 5 main indicators that come to the forefront when recognizing depression.

1. Loss of Interest
This isn’t just losing interest because you are bored. This loss of interest is long term. Often I will lose interest in things that usually bring me joy or satisfaction. I will walk away from things like writing, painting, reading, exercise; anything that I usually enjoy no longer brings enjoyment. Loss of interest may be gradual but often becomes noticeable when it goes on for a prolonged time.

For me, this is something that often comes along with fatigue. Being in bed sounds preferable to doing things I once enjoyed. In those moments, nothing seems enjoyable or worth the effort.

Photo Credit: © Getty Images/globalmoments

2. Emotional Outbursts
Emotional outbursts can be symptomatic of a lot of mental health disorders. With depression, the outburst can be uncontrollable, crying without explanation. It can also come out in the form of anger.

This is one of the most common symptoms. When I cannot articulate what I feel, it can lead to frustration, which can lead to anger. Other times the uncontrollable crying will have no explanation. It can start without warning, and end just as quickly. Someone with depression cannot control their emotions, and often do not know how to extinguish them when they become out of control.

3. Mental and Physical Fatigue
When depression strikes, it brings mental and physical fatigue. No amount of sleep will feel like it is enough. Your body will feel run down and exhausted. Mental fatigue, however, can make one feel like they cannot string a complete thought together. There is an inability to concentrate or complete tasks that need to be done. Depression in some cases can make it feel impossible to get any work completed. Much less give it your best.

4. Withdrawal from Family, Friends, and Community
When someone suffers from depression, they will pull away from those they love. I tend to pull away when it all feels too much or when I do not feel seen or heard. Often, it can feel easier to isolate than to pretend and fake a smile. It can feel easier to isolate and avoid questions or feelings you have to explain your emotions to others.

If you have a friend or family member battling depression or mental illness, the best thing you can do is listen and let me know you are there. They will be grateful that they are seen.

5. Other Health Issues
Depression has been shown to wreck your immune system and can be an underlying cause for other health issues, and vise versa. Medical conditions can trigger depression, such as chronic pain, cancer, and other diseases. Undiagnosed or treated depression, in either case, can cause greater problems long term.

This isn’t an exhaustive list of symptoms, but rather warning signs that all may not be ok.

My battle with depression has looked like a lot of those things and more. It can feel some days that life is being sucked out of your bones by depression. It can take all the energy you have to even put your feet on the floor.

Some days there are uncontrollable tears, and lashing out at those you love. The important thing here is that we don’t stay in this place. We choose to get help for ourselves or those we love who are facing depression or other mental illnesses.

Michelle Rabon is a wife and homeschooling mom of three who feels called to help women thrive in their walk with Jesus every day. In 2012, she started Displaying Grace, a ministry that is focused on helping women engage with God’s Word. Michelle has also served in women’s ministry for the past five years seeking to equip women in the local church through Bible study. When she is not writing or teaching, she enjoys reading, being close to the ocean, and drinking a lot of coffee.

Want more interaction with the women of iBelieve? Join our fans, writers, and editors at the iBelieve Facebook group, Together in Faith, for more videos, stories, testimonies, prayers and more. Visit here to join the community!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down