World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 29 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Israel War UPDATE
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 11:53 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 11:46 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 11:43 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 11:31 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 11:02 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 10:51 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 10:31 pm by Admin

» AISH
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 10:28 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 8:33 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 8:28 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 7:28 pm by Admin

» Celebrate the Feast of Moshiach
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyYesterday at 7:04 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 11:23 pm by Admin

» Gatestone Institute
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 11:19 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 11:09 pm by Admin

» SOROS Funds pro-terroist groups support of Hamas
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 10:57 pm by Admin

» Amir Tsarfati BEHOLD ISRAEL
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 10:31 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 10:13 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024, 10:00 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK

Go down

HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK Empty HOW NEWSPAPERS WORK

Post  Admin Thu 05 Jan 2023, 7:32 pm

How newspapers work
You heard it here first. But here’s a story you haven’t heard before
JOSHUA ROZENBERG
JAN 5

Police have lost interest in catching scammers and fraudsters, according to a leading barrister quoted in today’s newspapers. Here’s The Times:

This is the Telegraph:

And here is the Irish News:
https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/technology/2023/01/05/news/police_have_lost_interest_in_prosecuting_fraud_deputy_high_court_judge_says-2974063/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Perceptive readers will notice three things:

1. These stories all begin in almost exactly the same way. This suggests that the original copy was supplied by a news agency, such as PA.

2. The Times and the Telegraph describe Clare Montgomery as a High Court judge — which is clearly wrong. The Irish News correctly describes her as a deputy High Court judge, which is presumably what the news agency wrote; I do not have access to the wires and so cannot check. To clarify: an individual ceases to practise as a barrister or solicitor on appointment as a High Court judge. “Deputy” in this context means “part-time”. Montgomery sits as a part-time judge in several courts — perhaps for around four weeks a year — but works predominantly as a barrister. Any journalist should know that you can’t be a barrister and a High Court judge at the same time.

3. I reported Montgomery’s remarks here two days ago. To avoid confusion, I simply said she “sits as a part-time judge”. Most of the quotes in today’s papers were taken from my piece:

A Lawyer Writes
Time to rethink the Serious Fraud Office?
Clare Montgomery KC will not be applying for the top job at the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) when Lisa Osofsky completes her five-year term as director this summer. “I don’t think it’s within the grasp of any mere mortal to turn around an institution that has so many structural and systemic problems,” the KC said last month. Instead, she believes the SFO …
Read more https://rozenberg.substack.com/p/time-to-rethink-the-serious-fraud?utm_source=substack&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=email

2 days ago · 6 likes · 6 comments · Joshua Rozenberg
That’s fine, of course. It was not my interview. I didn’t listen to it when it first came out as a podcast last month. I only came across it because someone alerted me to it. And I didn’t write it up immediately.

But it’s yet another reminder that reporters follow this blog to find out what’s happening in the law:

Twitter avatar for @JoshuaRozenberg
Joshua Rozenberg 
@JoshuaRozenberg
You heard it first, again: My blog yesterday: Beijing stops short of blocking British KC But Hong Kong expected to stop Tim Owen representing Jimmy Lai rozenberg.substack.com/p/beijing-stop… The Times today: Hong Kong to decide who will defend media tycoon Jimmy Lai

thetimes.co.uk
Hong Kong to decide who will defend media tycoon Jimmy Lai
Hong Kong’s political authorities, not judges, will decide whether a millionaire democracy campaigner should be represented by a Britis...
7:29 AM ∙ Jan 2, 2023
22Likes9Retweets
All this has prompted one of the occasional personal reminiscences that paying subscribers have kindly told me they enjoy reading here.

The story begins in the summer of 2000. I had been a BBC staff journalist for 25 years, the last 15 as legal correspondent. At home one evening, the phone rang. This was not a producer booking me for a morning broadcast. It was the editor of a national newspaper...

Keep reading with a 7-day free trial
Subscribe to A Lawyer Writes to keep reading this post and get 7 days of free access to the full post archives.

Start trial
https://rozenberg.substack.com/subscribe?simple=true&utm_source=post&utm_medium=email&utm_content=94632490&next=https%3A%2F%2Frozenberg.substack.com%2Fp%2Fhow-newspapers-work&coupon=49307682
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down