World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 25 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 25 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm
Latest topics
» Gatestone Institute
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 11:03 pm by Admin

» JIHAD WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 10:48 pm by Admin

» KEITH NOTES FROM NANJING
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 10:46 pm by Admin

» Woke Kindergarten?
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 10:38 pm by Admin

» Israel 365 News
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 10:12 pm by Admin

» israelAM
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 8:57 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 8:56 pm by Admin

» AISH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 8:52 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 8:42 pm by Admin

» THE BLAZE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 8:19 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 6:59 pm by Admin

» PROPHESY NEWS WATCH
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyYesterday at 6:52 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 11:35 pm by Admin

» VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN CONCERN
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 10:51 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 10:37 pm by Admin

» The Holocaust and Faith
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 10:26 pm by Admin

» AISH Honest Reporting
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 9:52 pm by Admin

» ZAKA Tel Aviv
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 9:35 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptyTue 07 May 2024, 7:01 pm by Admin

» PULSE OF ISRAEL
NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 EmptySun 05 May 2024, 9:38 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

NUGGET Today's Devotional - Page 17 Empty Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin Sun 20 Apr 2014, 4:07 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 19, 2014
Lessons Before the Cross: Easter 2014, Part 6 -- Power...In Submission!
By Answers2Prayer 

Last Thursday, in Lessons Before the Cross, Part 5, we saw that prayer is our source of power our access to comfort and strength from above, and it is also our responsibility. 

But Jesus' Before-the-Cross lessons aren't yet finished. Let's go back to the Garden of Gethsemane: "And while He was still speaking, behold, a multitude ...When those around Him saw what was going to happen, they said to Him, 'Lord, shall we strike with the sword?'" (Luke 22:47-49 NKJV)

As we saw in Lessons From the Last Supper, Part 4, Jesus had not only allowed His disciples to go into the garden armed, but He told them that if they didn't have a sword, they needed to go out and purchase one. And now, the time has finally come when they will be allowed to defend themselves! And they cry out, with eagerness in their tone: "Lord, shall we strike with the sword?"

Peter doesn't wait for a response from Jesus. He attacks the servant of the high priest and cuts off his right ear (See John 18:10, Luke 22:50).

After all, Jesus has told them to carry a sword! What better time to use it?

But Jesus wasn’t happy with Peter: "But Jesus answered and said, 'Permit even this.' And He touched his ear and healed him." (Luke 22:51 NKJV)

Wait! Why would Jesus tell the disciples to carry a sword, but not permit them to use it?

Simply put, it is because they are using the sword offensively, to protect Jesus, but that was not Jesus' purpose. Jesus knew this was His hour, for it is recorded, just a few verses later, "But this is your hour, and the power of darkness." (Luke 22:53 NKJV). 

This brief little scene in the Garden of Gethsemane can teach us some a very powerful lesson on submission to God's will. We need to understand that if something is God's will, nothing we can do will stop it. And when God wills it, we shouldn't even desire to stop it! Instead, we should submit to His will. 

That may mean that things don't go according to our plan. It may mean that we must go through troubled times. But in the end, it will be worth it. We must submit ourselves 100% to His will.

During my bout with Breast Cancer in the Summer and Fall of 2012, God told me, before I even found the lump, that I was going to go through troubled times, but to take courage, for it was nothing but a test. When I found the lump later that very same day, I knew I had cancer, and I knew there was no reason to fight it. Yes, I did pray it would go away, but when it didn't, I submitted myself to God's will. I allowed Him to carry me through the valley of cancer, and in the end, I emerged from that valley so much stronger in the Lord than I’ve ever been, that I could honestly say, "Thanks, God! Thanks for allowing me to go through Breast Cancer with You!" 

Friends, whatever it is that God is asking to carry you through right now, why not submit to His will? For when you do, you will also say, "Thanks God! Thanks for allowing me to go through ______________ with You!"

So why was it that Jesus told the disciples to carry swords? 

For their own protection after His arrest! Jesus knew they would be hunted, He knew they needed a form of protection. But there in the Garden, at the moment of His arrest, was not the time! 

Maybe you are not in a valley of your life right now. Or maybe you have just finished one, or perhaps you are currently in a huge one! No matter where you find yourself in your walk through life, remember that trials are part of God’s ultimate plan because they work for His glory. Don't wish them away. Don’t get mad at God for allowing them. Instead, follow Jesus' example: Humbly submit to His will. Cover yourself in prayer and carry with you the "Sword", the Word of God. Then just sit back and see what God will do to bring you through. And when it's all over, I challenge you to look back over the trial and identify all the hundreds of times you saw God's hand, and the many good things that came out of you going through it! 

This is the final lesson in the Lessons Before the Cross series. If you have missed any of these lessons, you may access them by clicking here. Or email me, and I’ll be happy to send them to you. May God bless you abundantly throughout the upcoming Easter Season! 

In His love, 
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries; Author of "Aboard God's Train: A Journey with God Through the Valley of Cancer." Follow me on Twitter: @lynchaffart

Announcement: Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!

©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:50 am

Welcome to the Nugget
April 17, 2014
Lessons Before the Cross: Easter 2014, Part 5 -- Our Power...Our Responsibility

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us

Last Tuesday, in Lessons Before the Cross, Part 4, we saw that when God allows us to go through trials, He advises us to take with us any resources that we may have. But there is only one thing that He commands that we take: A Sword -- The living, active, Word of God, our best defense in any situation. 

But Jesus has another nugget of powerful information designed to help us go through trials. Our story now takes us to the gates of the Garden of Gethsemane: "When He came to the place, He said to them, 'Pray that you may not enter into temptation.'" (Luke 22:39-40, NKJV)

Let's remember that just a little while before this, Jesus told Peter that He had prayed for Peter that Peter's faith would not fail (see vs. 32). Shouldn't that be enough? When we have Jesus Himself praying for us, should we need anything else? Why, then, is Jesus admonishing His disciples to "Pray that you may not enter into temptation"? 

And Jesus doesn't just say this one time. After going off to pray on His own, He returns to find them asleep, and once again He admonishes them: "Why do you sleep? Rise and pray, lest you enter into temptation." (Luke 22:41-46, NKJV) 

What Jesus is telling us here, friends, is that although He stands before us, although He fights for us, we, also, have a responsibility in the battle! We must continually pray that we will be strong, that we will "not enter into temptation"! 

But Jesus didn't just tell us to pray. He then proceeded to be our best example: "He was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and prayed..." (Luke 22:41). Just as He is about to enter into the worst suffering that any human has ever undergone, Jesus, Himself chooses to arm Himself with prayer! Not only is prayer it the best thing to do, it is also our responsibility! 

ac What happened when Jesus prayed? "Then an angel appeared to Him from heaven, strengthening Him." (vs 43). And this is what prayer does for us as well: It unleashes the angels of Heaven to strengthen us!

During my journey through the valley of cancer in the Fall of 2012, there were many times when I felt like I couldn't go on. The hours leading up to my surgery are prime examples of those times. Yet when I finaslly remembered to pray, I was immediately comforted, each and every time! Prayer didn't make the trial go away. I still had a cancerous tumor that God chose to use the medical system to remove. I had to undergo surgery and the aftermath of cancer treatment. But as soon as I prayed, I was comforted and strengthened. That is the power of prayer! It gives us the resources we need to go through the trials that God allows us to suffer! When God gives the devil permission to torment us, He also provides us with everything we need to get through victoriously! 

Still not convinced? Let's look at the advice of the Apostle Paul. He tells us to "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil..." (Eph 6:11). Then after telling us what the armor of God is (see Eph 6:14-17), He tells us this: "praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints." (Eph 6:11-18, NKJV)

Prayer isn't just some nice thing we can do that makes us feel better! It isn't a "last resort," or something we "fall back on" when there is nothing else we can do! Prayer is our power and our responsibility. So instead of throwing up our hands in defeat and saying, "All we can do now is pray," let's kneel down in victory! 

Prayer. Our power. Our responsibility. 

Don't believe it? Just look back to Jesus' example in the garden! 

There is one more lesson that Jesus has to teach us before He goes to the cross. Join us next week for Lessons Before the Cross, Part 6: Power...In Submission.
In His love, 
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries; Author of "Aboard God's Train: A Journey with God Through the Valley of Cancer." Follow me on Twitter: @lynchaffart

Announcement:h4> Do you ever wonder why the Holy Spirit is depicted as a dove?  Check out the recently published mini-series, "Dovetailing Some Dove Facts", and find out!   

©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 16 Apr 2014, 1:52 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 15, 2014
Lessons Before the Cross: Easter 2014, Part 4 -- Two Swords

By Answers2Prayer 

Last week, in Lessons Before the Cross, Part 3, we saw that God allows us to go through trials for very good reasons, but now that we understand "why" we go through trials, He wishes to convey to us some vital truths on "how" to go through them: 

"And He said to them ...'he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one...' So they said, 'Lord, look, here are two swords.' And He said to them, 'It is enough.'" (Luke 22:35-38 NKJV)

Is it just me, or is this passage a bit confusing? Up until now, Jesus has always encouraged the disciples to not worry about anything. He sent them off without provisions. He exposed them to deadly storms, and then He has calmed them (See Mark 4:37, Luke 8:23). He taught them that everything they need on this Earth can be provided for them by God. But now He tells them that they need to do something. What is Jesus saying here? That God's provision is only enough for certain situations? That there are times when we must rely on ourselves? 

What Jesus is trying to teach us here, friends, is that we, also, carry responsibility in what happens to us, and according to this passage, our responsibility is three-fold: 

1. "he who has a money bag, let him take it" (vs. 36a) 

So if we have money, we are to take it. This doesn't mean that those who have no money won't make it through the trial. Far from it. He is saying that those who do have money must be willing to use it for the good of God's kingdom! 

2. "and likewise a knapsack;" (vs. 36b)

A knapsack is something that we use to carrying things that we know we will need. Each trial we endure gives us tools that we can use for the next one that comes along. We must remember the precious lessons we learn, and we must carry these lessons with us so that we can use them the next time we go through troubled times!

3. "and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one" (vs. 36c)

This third point is just a bit different from the first two. In His instruction concerning the money bags and the knapsack, Jesus only says to take them if we have them. This means that God will provide the funds and the tools for those who don't have them. But in this third instruction, Jesus is telling us that we are not to enter into trials without a sword! 

Now the disciples become a bit worried here. I can just imagine them busily checking their inventory of weaponry, and it is with relief and satisfaction that they say: "Lord, look, here are two swords." (Luke 22:38a). And though this doesn't seem like very many swords for a band of 12 men, Jesus says to them, "It is enough." (Luke 22:38b, NKJV).

In the moment, Jesus was obviously referring to physical swords. But what about today? We don't use swords for protection anymore. Is Jesus telling us to go out and buy guns?

I don't think so. I believe that Jesus' reference here to buying a sword is highly symbolic. In Eph 6:14-18 we are given instruction as to what armor we should always be wearing. The sword is specifically mentioned, and with it, the symbolic explanation: "...and the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God." (Eph 6:17) 

Am I putting meaning into Jesus' words that He didn't mean to have there?

I don't think so. We are told that "the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword..." (Heb 4:12, NKJV), and the Word of God is divided into two powerful parts: The Old Testament and the New! Let's remember that Jesus told His disciples that two swords were "enough." 

God can provide, yes, and He does so with all power and might. But our job is to be adequately armed with the living Word of God. For when we are, we will have all of the weapons we need for facing each and every trial that we must endure.

Join us next week for Lessons Before the Cross, Part 4: Our Power and Responsibility.
In His love, 
Lyn

Announcement:
What lessons do the letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation have to teach us?  Check out the recently-published mini-series: Studies on the Seven Churches of Revelation! 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 13 Apr 2014, 6:36 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 12, 2014
Lessons Before the Cross: Easter 2014, Part 3 -- Truth About Trials, Part b
By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in Lessons Before the Cross, Part 2, we saw that because God must "approve" our trials, and we can be assured that He will never allow anything we cannot handle with His help. Before allowing us to go through them, He prepares a way out! In fact, He has already prayed for us that we will remain strong, before the trial even comes knocking at the door! 

We also saw that God allows us to go through trials because they reveal the hidden places of our heart that need to be submitted to Him, and because they teach us powerful lessons in surrender to Him and to His will. But there are two more important lessons about why God allows trials that Jesus wished for us to glean from these verses:

"Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." (Luke 22:31-32, NKJV)

Notice the phrase, "when you have returned to Me." Herein lies the next reason God allows us to suffer trials. 

When Jesus gave permission for Peter to be "sifted like wheat," He knew that Peter would deny Him! He knew Peter wasn't strong enough to stand up to the temptation! 

Why would God allow him to go through something, fully knowing he are too weak to prevail?

Because Peter was completely unaware of his weakness! He had to fail before he could recognize that his faith was not what it should be!

When my son was in Grade 12 History class, he was given one day's notice before a major examination. He was upset about so little time, but only by the concept of the thing. He actually wasn't worried about the test itself, because "she never gives anything on the test that she doesn't cover in the review, and the review was easy."

Consequently, my son spent very little time studying for his history exam. Several times that evening I asked him if he should be studying the notes he had taken in class throughout the unit, and he assured me each time that it wasn't necessary. 

I had a choice to make at this stage: Either I forced him to study (a little hard when he's bigger than me...) or I let him learn a hard lesson. I decided on the latter option, and I wasn't at all surprised when he came home from school the next day very discouraged. Over a third of the test had not been covered in the teacher's review. 

"So did you learn anything?" I asked.

"Yup!" was the response. "I learned that I need to study all of my notes next time!"

This lesson served him well for his final exam. His grade was in the 90s. 

With human nature being the way it is, my son would never have learned this lesson if I had insisted on him studying. God understands human nature, and He allows us trials to reveal to us things that we don’t know about ourselves. 

Let's take yet another look at Luke 22:32: "and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." 

This brings us to the last vital lesson on why we are allowed to experience trials: Because when we prevail, the lessons we learn can serve as powerful witnesses to our brothers and sisters in Christ! They can serve to inspire others, and they can serve as a tool to witness to those around us. 

Take, for example, my 2012 battle with cancer. God inspired me to write up the things that He and I experienced during my walk through this valley of my life, and after just a few months, this manuscript has already been an encouragement to many. But more than this, it has became a tool that I could use for witnessing to my non-Christian friends and colleagues. God knew what He was doing when He allowed this trial, and He used this situation to His glory. 

Friends, the next time you find yourself in turbulent times, remember the lessons Jesus gave His disciples just before that very first Easter:

1. God pre-approves our trials.
2. Though He allows them, God doesn't just leave us to go through them by ourselves. Instead, He prays for us to be strengthened.
3. He gives us trials for three reasons: 
a. To reveal our weaknesses to us;
b. To provide us with tools that we can use to witness; and
c. To strengthen those around us who may be going through the same troubles. 

Join us next Tuesday for Lessons Before the Cross, Part 4: Two Swords
In His love, 
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcement:
WELCOME TO SPRING! 
Spring officially began a month ago, but for anyone living in the northern portions of the northern hemisphere, you may only now be starting to see warmer temperatures. Remember: Spring is the time of rebirth. Why not celebrate this Spring by renewing your vows with Jesus? Or, if you have never given your heart to Jesus, why wait? Do it now! You can email me here, if you need some help!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 11 Apr 2014, 12:59 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 10, 2014
Lessons Before the Cross: Easter 2014, Part 2 -- The Truth About Trials, part a
By Answers2Prayer 

Last week, in Lessons Before the Cross, Part 1, we saw that one of the very important messages Jesus teaches us just prior to going to the cross is one of humility in our trials. 

But there was something else heavy on Jesus' heart. He wants us to know why we must suffer them! Today's lesson begins just after Jesus finishes His famous discourse about the backwardness of the Kingdom of God. He then turns to Simon Peter and gives us, in two sentences the reason Christians suffer trials: 

"Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." (Luke 22:31-32, NKJV)

Let's take these two verses apart line by line: "Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat." 

Wait a minute. Do you mean that God knows when we are going to be tested? That the devil must ask permission to test us? 

But this isn't really a new idea. God had to agree to Job's major temptation (See Job 1,2), and Paul tells us: "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." (1Cor 10:13, NKJV).

So not only does God know of and pre-approve our testing, but there are three important rules that must be followed: 

1) There will be no new temptation! It simply isn't allowed! 

2) God will not allow us to be tested beyond what we can bear! 

3) Before the test even comes to pass, God has already made a way of escape so that we can bear it! 

It would seem oh, so much simpler if God would just tell the devil he cannot tempt us, but it is actually through the tempting process that we learn three vital skills: 

1) To recognize temptation;
2) To say "no" to it; and
3) To depend upon God alone. 

These are not lessons we could ever learn if we never went through trials. 

But the story doesn't end here. Let's look at Jesus' next words to Peter: "But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail." (Luke 22:32).

In the midst of trials, we often feel abandoned by God. But Jesus assures us that before the troubles even come upon us, He has already prayed for us to be strengthened, and He promises that because He has prayed for us, our faith will not fail! 

But wait a minute. Peter did fail! He denied Christ three times! And just like Peter, I fail far more times then I pass! That doesn't seem much like being strengthened, does it? 

It's true that Peter failed. But what he did after that test is what is notable: "So Peter went out and wept bitterly." (Luke 22:62, NKJV)

Bitter weeping, friends, is something that only comes from a broken heart. Peter, though completely unaware that he was capable of denying Christ, strode out of his failure with a repentant heart. And this same Peter who denied Jesus three times, would later stand up, risking his own life and freedom, and preach Jesus! 

Why did God allow Peter's trials? 

Because without it, Peter would have never known his weaknesses.

Because without knowing his weaknesses, he would have never been able to overcome. 

And because without overcoming, Peter would never have been able to be the founding stone upon which the church was built: "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." (Matt 16:18, NKJV)

Friends, God knows that we will go through trials. He allows them, because it is in the midst of trials that we are able to learn about our own weaknesses, that we are able to truly repent, that we are able to become truly strong in the Lord! And because God must "approve" our trials, we can be assured that He will never allow anything we cannot handle with His help, and He prepares a way out! In fact, He has already prayed for us that we will remain strong! 

Join us on Saturday for Lessons Before the Cross, Part 3: The Truth About Trials, Part b.

In His love, 
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 

Announcement:

Please join us next week for the final three editions of "Lessons Before the Cross!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 10 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 8, 2014
Lessons Before the Cross: Easter 2014, Part 1 -- Humility

By Answers2Prayer

Easter is just a few weeks away. It is a time when we focus on Jesus' ultimate sacrifice for mankind: His death, and his resurrection.

But just prior to this all-important event, Jesus had some highly-important last-minute lessons to teach us about enduring trials. These lessons will be the focus of this Passion Week series from the Gospel of Luke.

Just before going to Gethsemane, Jesus shared the Last Supper with His disciples, and here-in lies the first lesson about trials that He wishes to leave us with: "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table. And truly the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom He is betrayed!" (Luke 22:20-22, NKJV)

Imagine sitting at this meal and having Jesus look around the room and announce that one of you sitting there will betray him! I am sure that certain words would be running rampage in my mind. Things like: "It isn't me, that's for sure! Maybe Thaddeus..." And Thaddeus might be thinking, "Not me! Likely John! It's always the ones that are our closest friends who betray us!"

You see, "Pass the buck", the theme of our day stating that everything that's wrong in the world is the fault of someone else, is not new! It was also the theme of the disciples' responses: "Then they began to question among themselves, which of them it was who would do this thing." (Luke 22:23, NKJV)

And this quickly led to another argument, one that had been festering for awhile: "Now there was also a dispute among them, as to which of them should be considered the greatest." (Luke 22:24, NKJV)

Friends, if you ever wonder if you are just too "human" to truly be a child of God, remember the disciples! They were exactly as we are, yet Jesus took them in and reshaped their hearts into true men of God! I don't know about you, but I take great courage in that!

But just how does Jesus go about this "heart-reshaping" process?

It begins with his next words to His disciples: "The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those who exercise authority over them are called 'benefactors.' But not so among you; on the contrary, he who is greatest among you, let him be as the younger, and he who governs as he who serves. For who is greater, he who sits at the table, or he who serves? Is it not he who sits at the table? Yet I am among you as the One who serves." (Luke 22:25-27, NKJV)

We know from the gospel of John that Jesus then gets down and washes the dirty feet of His disciples (See John 13). Jesus' "heart-reshaping" lesson is nothing more than an unforgettable lesson in humility!

And just in case the disciples didn't quite get it, Jesus spelled it out for them: "But you are those who have continued with Me in My trials. And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me, that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel." (Luke 22:28-30, NKJV)

There is a prayer that is offered over the intercom at least twice a week at the Catholic hospital where I work. It is known as the Prayer of St. Francis, and it sums up exactly what Jesus is trying to teach:

"O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life." Amen

Friends, let us stop wishing that just for once, we could be served instead of being the ones to always serve. Let's stop expecting the world to give to us. Instead, let's follow Jesus' example of humility. For when we do, we, too, will undergo the heart-reshaping process that the disciples underwent. We, too, will learn the Truth in the words, "It is in giving that we receive...it is in dying that we are born to eternal life"!

And we will be learning Jesus' last-minute lesson before going to the cross: Going into our trials with a humble heart!

Join us on Thursday for Lessons Before the Cross, Part 2: The Truth about Trials!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Good news!
"Aboard God's Train", the personal testimony of my walk with God through the valley of cancer in 2012, has been published and is now available for purchase through Sable Publishing House.

May God bless each of you abundantly as you continue to draw closer to Him through the trials of your life!

Lyn Chaffart, Moderator, The Nugget
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 06 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 5, 2014
Keep Your Eyes Upon Jesus

By Answers2Prayer 

"...keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set out for him he endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God." (Heb 12:2 NET)

I don't know how many times I have advised people through the years to take the time to contemplate the cross, yet to my shame, I have so rarely engaged in this activity. I don't know why. Perhaps it is because of the overwhelming sense of guilt I feel when I think of Jesus' suffering in the garden, in the hands of the Pharisees and the Romans, and especially on the cross. Cognitively I know I'm forgiven, but I still can't help thinking about how my sin put Him there. 

This morning I was drawn to do just that: To contemplate the suffering of Jesus at the cross. And as I knelt beside my couch in my living room, it was only a few moments before I was reduced to bitter tears. Crying out in my guilt and my shame, I suddenly I felt a presence beside me. I looked over, and I saw a vision of Jesus, bowed down in the Garden, praying bitterly. It was so real that I could see the drops of blood upon His brow, and I found myself reaching over to touch Him. "I'm so sorry, Jesus!" I cried. "I'm so sorry I have done this to you!" 

In my mind, Jesus' countenance changed then. The blood cleared, and the anguish was replaced by a glorious smile as He stood up and offered me His hand. Then He said something I would have never expected to hear: "Thank you!" 

For the first time I realized that Jesus' purpose in asking us to contemplate the cross is not for us to wallow in guilt. He simply wants us to remember: to remember what He did for us, to remember where we came from and where we would be without Him. 

But He wasn't finished with me yet that morning. I could hear Him say: "Follow me." And in my mind, I saw Him running, leaping over treetops, floating over rivers and valleys, skirting the mountaintops. 

I hesitated, but only for a moment. When He turned around and motioned for me to come, I did. Soon I, too, was leaping over treetops, floating over rivers and valleys, and skirting the mountaintops. 

Jesus looked back and winked at me before disappearing into a tunnel. I didn't even take the time to stop and think, I simply followed Him through the dark place and together we emerged into the sunshine on the other side. Only then did I realize that I hadn't even looked around me in the tunnel. 

Jesus then leapt over a particularly large valley, and on the opposite side He turned again and motioned for me to follow. I looked down, and then I began to climb down into the valley, but I could hear Jesus calling out to me: "Take that leap in faith, My child!" 

I did, and like Him, I, too, leapt to the other side. 

The little "vision" ended at this point, and I could again feel my knees on the carpet and my elbows on the rough fabric of my couch. Jesus' message to me throughout all of this was gelled in my mind: By humbling myself enough to contemplate the cross, I was preparing myself for this journey in faith. I was equipping myself to follow Jesus anywhere. All I needed to do was keep my eyes fixed upon Him, never doubting, and I could go anywhere. I could pass through dark times, leap valleys and soar from mountain top to mountain top. 

It is easy enough to tell people, "Keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus through the hard times," but in all reality, it is difficult to do. Impossible, actually. You see, unless you have placed your trust 100% in Him for all areas of your life, you will not be able to keep your eyes on Him in the dark times. Unless you have first taken that all-important step: Unless you have humbled yourself before Jesus. Unless you have fully embraced His sacrifice. 

The Easter season will soon be upon us. Why not take some time today to contemplate Jesus' sacrifice, to humble yourself before Him, to fully embrace His sacrifice? Will you join me today?

In His love, 
Lyn
Announcement:
Please join us next week for Lessons Before the Cross, a series designed to help you prepare your hearts for Easter!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 04 Apr 2014, 4:05 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 3, 2014
Peace in the Knowing
By Answers2Prayer
It seems that all over the world, one thing is in short supply. It is almost impossible to find it whether you look north, south, east or west and it seems to be lacking in every culture, every town and even in places of worship.

I was speaking with a Chaplain and he said it is lacking even in hospitals and at times of serious illness. The one thing lacking is peace.

Let me tell you a true story about peace and where I found it in a strikingly simple way.

He was bringing a huge freight train to the station some distance away and asked could we meet him there. It was unusual for him to come to this place and his arrival time was quite uncertain but we were thrilled to have the opportunity to see him. He gave us an educated guess at his time of arrival and we timed our journey to it.

By some stroke of good fortune, he brought his train in much earlier than expected so he sat on an outside seat waiting for us. He was totally at peace, not at all anxious at the wait, and took the opportunity to speak to anyone who happened to join him for a while.

One thing he did do while he was waiting, and that was to watch for our arrival. He kept one eye on the road to see us when we drove in even while he engaged himself with whatever was at hand to do. He was ready for us all the time.

When we arrived, we apologized that he had had to wait so long.

"Not to worry," was his colloquial reply, "I wasn't at all worried. I knew you would come so I just enjoyed the waiting time."

His words took my breath away -- "I knew you could come."

His peace was in the knowing that we would come and Jesus gave the same assurance.

He said when he as going away for a time, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you...You have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27,28).

Peace is in the knowing and the assurance is written for our knowing in John 14:27,28.

Elizabeth Price
Announcement:

THE ILLUSTRATOR
Are you blessed by inspirational stories? Why not subscribe to "The Illustrator," a daily newsletter devoted to bringing people closer to Christ through inspirational stories? Simply click here, scroll down to the section labeled "Subscribe Here," and click "The Illustrator."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 02 Apr 2014, 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 1, 2014
The Turning of the Tide

By Answers2Prayer

While staying on the island of Mull for a few days one afternoon I sat by the waters' edge on the South shore of Ben More. I was feeling a bit depressed and disappointed at my attitude as a Christian. It was the summer holidays and our Sunday school was on holiday for a number of weeks but was due starting again soon. really was not looking forward to getting back into harness again and felt guilty about this, knowing how much Jesus had done for me.

It was while I was weighed down and feeling like this that I sat on a stone right by the waters' edge. I was reading a little booklet called: "The Heart at Rest" by Saint Augustine. The title of the article I was reading was, "Freely Freely you have received." It read like this: "Are only those who have not sinned blessed? No, those are blessed whose sins have been forgiven. That grace is given to us freely: we have no good works to show yet he forgives us our sins." (See Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:4-5).

I looked away from my book to meditate on those words and discovered the tide was at this very moment beginning to turn. It was starting to retreat. So it is in a persons life when the tide of sin begins to overflow the soul, faith in the free gift of salvation without works turns the tide. A great release from drowning in sin is experienced.

"When the enemy comes in like a flood the Spirit of the Lord will raise up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19 AV version)

Donnie Black
Announcement:

DEALING WITH GRIEF
Are you or someone you know dealing with grief? Why not check out the series, "Dealing With Grief", recently published on the Nugget by clicking here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 30 Mar 2014, 9:38 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 25, 2014
Flat-Earthers of our Day
By Answers2Prayer 
It seems to be a common belief that you must have a high degree of education to have any credibility. The opinions of skilled amateurs or anyone not taught at Universities are usually scorned.

It amuses me because it was only academes who were taught to read and write. Therefore it was only academics who taught and published that the earth was held aloft on the shoulders of the mythical god, Atlas, and only academics taught that gods and goddesses inhabited the world. 

Nobody knows whether ordinary working people believed the theory or not. 

The Bible was locked away and accessed only by academics or the politically correct. At some stage, they came to believe and teach that the earth was flat. 

Ordinary people never believed such nonsense because they had too much common sense.

Today those same academics who have been taught at religious schools and universities will ridicule you if you believe the Bible and live by its teachings. They will ridicule you as a "flat-earther" because of your beliefs. 

Did you know that a similar theory existed even in the time of Jesus? Jesus was home-schooled as were most Jewish children and Scriptural Jewish beliefs were their text book

When Jesus was twelve years old he spent several days with the doctors, "both hearing them and asking them questions." (Luke 2:46).  Doctors were the teachers, or masters, of education in their day and they "were astonished at his understanding and answers." (Luke 2:47)

In other words, the so-called uneducated, home-schooled lad, Jesus, could teach them a thing or two!

Nothing has changed. If your beliefs are different from accepted teachings, it is academics who will ridicule you as a "flat-earther." But the highly educated Paul read and understood the Old Testament because of Christ. He encourages you do the same and also to do some thinking because "God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise." (1 Cor 1:27)

Jesus himself said, "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes," (Matthew 11:25). 

Elizabeth Price

Announcement:

What is your spiritual identification? Join us on Thursdays for Your ID Please, a Mini-Series by Brother Suresh Manoharan

Welcome to the Nugget
March 27, 2014
Free...Free...Free, Part 4
By Answers2Prayer  
In the concluding part of our series on Matt 10:8, whereby a Christian is instructed to give freely a loving service for God's glory and for the benefit of those around him, today we come to a Ministry which may not fetch us universal applause but is guaranteed to delight the Lord:

Inspiration

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." (I Thess 5:11)

Besides the intercessory prayer ministry, if there is one more ministry which does not depend on any special talent barring pristine love for God and the person in need then it is one of encouragement. Raise your hands, those who know about a famous Joseph of the New Testament. No brainer really for some folks. Joseph, the husband of Mary would be the reply of most. No! In the early Church, there was one Joseph (a Levite from Cyprus) who so personified encouragement in his spiritual walk that the Apostles named him as Barnabas (Acts 4:36-37) meaning ... "Son of Encouragement"...yes, the same Barnabas who accompanied the Apostle Paul in the historic first missionary Journey, taking the Gospel to the heartland of Asia Minor (Acts 13-14).

Even in Antioch, where the disciples were first called Christians (Acts 11:26), Barnabas on a special assignment (from Jerusalem Church) was doing what came to him naturally from a heart full of love and Holy Spirit (another name for the Holy Spirit, besides others, is "an encourager" See John 14:16-17/John 15:26)...Let the Scripture take over:

"...he encouraged the believers to stay true to the Lord. Barnabas was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and strong in faith. And many people were brought to the Lord." (Acts 11:23-24)

Now how's that for living up to your name? By the way, going by our disposition, what would be the name our friends both in and outside the Church would give to us? A disgruntled discourager or an enthusiastic encourager?

Wherever the good Lord has placed you in His Sovereign wisdom, even if it were Microsoft...you can surely be a CEO there...Chief "Encouraging" Officer. 

Speaking of proud Hyderabad, ever wondered what prompted the State Government of Andhra Pradesh (Hyderabad is its capital) to name its pioneering free ambulance services as 108*? A name which has since been replicated in other States of India too like Goa, Gujarat, Odisha etc? The answer is: Matthew 10:8, Ladies and Gentlemen: "...Freely give, as you have freely received."

Finally folks wherever the good Lord has placed you in His Sovereign wisdom, even if it were Microsoft...you can surely be a CEO there for free...

Chief Evangelistic Officer (inviting people to come to Christ)
Chief Edifying Officer (Strengthening the Body of Christ, if your call is Pastoral)
Chief Exonerating Officer (Letting go of the resentment caused by some)
Chief Entreating Officer (Interceding for those in need)
Chief Encouraging Officer (Inspiring and comforting fellow sojourners in and outside the Church) 

OK, by His Grace alone (all glory to Him and Him alone)...Yours truly was inspired to pen this article for free...were you edified? Meanwhile Bravo Sathya...

Prayer: Father, enable us at all times to be encouragers, offering comfort to all those in need in whatever way possible. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries

*My mom and our family are deeply grateful for the services of Ambulance 108 for in Nov 2010, when she suffered a stroke, the good Lord gave me the presence of mind to call it immediately, so that with its help, we were able to rush her to nearby hospital, where prompt medical attention saved her life.

Announcement:
Good news!

"Aboard God's Train", the personal testimony of my walk with God through the valley of cancer in 2012, has been published and is now available for purchase through Sable Publishing House. 

May God bless each of you abundantly as you continue to draw closer to Him through the trials of your life!

Welcome to the Nugget
March 29, 2014
That We may Know You Better
By Answers2Prayer 
"...the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places..." (Eph 1:18-21, NKJV)

So often I have heard these verses in prayer. So often I have prayed them myself: "Lord, may the eyes of my heart be enlightened that I may know the hope for which You have called me, that I may received the riches of Your glorious inheritance in Your people, and Your incomparably great power for us who believe..." Etc. Etc. 

You see, recently God has been speaking into my heart about my tendency to go to my "0prayer closet" with an agenda. I am seeking His revelation on one matter or another, and when I don't get it, I am frustrated. As of late, my prayer has been, "Lord, open the eyes of my heart that I may be open to Your agenda! That I may hear Your voice..." Etc. Etc.

But is this, even, the right prayer? What am I seeking here? Instead of asking God to follow my agenda, I am asking Him to show me what He wants to show me. But it is still all about me!

Is that what the relationship with God is to be like? 

This is the question I began to ask myself yesterday morning as I sat in my "prayer closet" for my morning time with God. I had just finished pleading with Him to help me be in tune to His agenda, that I would receive the messages He wanted me to have for the day. And I had fully expected to hear His voice guiding me through a variety of decisions I have to make. But before letting me go on to my Bible, God placed it on my heart to read Eph. 1:18. 

Obediently, I did, but my spirit still wouldn't settle.  The message was loud and clear: Read vs. 17 again. 

I lifted my eyes to Eph. 1:17: "I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better." (Eph 1:17 NIV2)

I read it again... "so that you may know Him better." Wait a minute! I seek God's wisdom and revelation as a guide for my life! But that's not the reason given in God's Word for seeking His wisdom and revelation! We are to seek His wisdom and revelation in order that we may "know Him better!" 

That puts a different spin on things, doesn't it? It isn't all about me, after all.  It's all about Him! 

As I fought back the tears, I repented. I repented of wasting the time I spend with Him on selfish desires. I repented of putting my own agenda above the agenda of God, as given to us in His word. I repented of even wanting wisdom and revelation for selfish reasons. And I prayed, "Lord, may the eyes of my heart truly be enlightened today, that I may know You better!"

My worship time with God was very different that morning. God did, indeed, reveal His heart to me. He showed me how deeply and jealously He loves each and every one of us. He helped me to understand something about why bad things happen in life, all out of His heart of love. 

Then He did something else: He used this newly-learned knowledge of Him to give divine revelation on not one or two, but three areas I had been seeking His guidance about! 

Wait a minute, Lord! I wasn't seeking You today for personal gain!

That's when I realized that God's wisdom and revelation are a product of knowing Him better! 

Prayer: Lord, forgive us for making worship all about us. Help us to truly seek You in order that we may know You better and not for personal gain! In the precious name of Jesus, Amen

In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcement:

EZEKIEL'S TEMPLE ...
Curious about the strange temple described in intricate detail in the last 9 chapters of Ezekiel? Check out the "Lessons From Ezekiel's Temple" series, recently published in The Nugget by clicking here. 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 23 Mar 2014, 8:14 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 22, 2014
To Fall at Jesus' Feet

By Answers2Prayer 
Ministry.

What a beautiful word, one that conjures up so many lovely thoughts: Serving God, giving back to God, bring people to Salvation, helping the poor, giving strength to the weak and comfort to those who mourn...Truly fulfilling the complete gospel message.

And the best part is, opportunities for ministry are not hard to find! We are surrounded by opportunities to give of our time, our music, our leadership, our organizational skills, our talents, etc. 

But there is something else that the word ministry conjures up in my mind, and it is far from beautiful: Ministry brings us to the place where we will potentially receive praise for what we've done. It brings with it great temptation for grandeur, to receive honour that is truly not ours to receive. Those who see us using our God-given talents for His glory will often see nothing but the human vessel that God used to bless them. 

I would like to believe that most enter ministry for the right reasons: Because God called them to spread the gospel message in the way God has called them to spread it. Others, however, may enter ministry for the wrong reasons: to receive the praise of men. But whatever the motivation, everyone will find themselves subject to the temptation to be seen and noticed, to receive praise that is not truly ours to receive. 

I believe that God called me into ministry and, and I would like to believe that this is my only motivation... 

But is it? 

Take my worship choir, for example. I continually struggle with the temptation of wanting to "be noticed." I have searched my heart, and I do not believe this is my primary motivation. But it is a temptation that I must subdue every time I even think about the worship choir. 

And then there is the writing ministry. Yes, I write because God has placed it on my heart to do so. But is there, deep inside, also the hidden desire to see my name in print? 

And finally, there is a new "ministry" that God has just handed me. I have been named the senior speech therapist for my department at work. Only with much prayer did I accept this position, for I truly believe that it is only in following that we can truly lead. But is there a hidden part of me that longs to be looked up to? To be the "boss?" To be "in control" of everything? Do I secretly desire to be known as "the best senior the department has ever had?"

A recent devotional sent to me by our worship pastor brought me face-to-face with an all-important question: Do I truly love God more than I love ministry? How can I safeguard myself against the stumbling blocks of pride that the devil will not stop throwing my way? 

These were the thoughts that clouded my mind as I sat down for my personal worship this morning. I felt that God was directing me to read the book of Revelation, and obediently I flipped to the first chapter. My eyes began to scan the familiar words until I reached verses 9 and 10, the verses that introduce the author of the book: "I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ..." (Rev 1:9, NKJV) 

As I read this, I couldn't help but think: Wouldn't it have been tempting for John to feel proud about being the author of these wonderful words? 

But the passage continues: "Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man...His eyes like a flame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength." (Rev. 1:12-16) 

Yes, wouldn't it have been tempting to feel proud about being a witness to this fabulous scene?

But that wasn't John's reaction at all, and in the next verse lies the secret to how to participate in ministry, something we are all called to do, and still be safeguarded against the stumbling blocks of pride that WILL come our way. John says: "And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead." (Rev. 1:17) 

You see, John understood two important things: 

1. He understood that he couldn't have written Revelation without God's inspiration; and 

2. He recognized that he was in the presence of the almighty God and understanding his inadequacy, he fell at Jesus' feet! 

And herein we find the secret to overcoming the temptation of pride in the face of ministry. We need to only attempt ministry when we have a clear understanding that we can't do it unless God does it through us; and before doing anything else, we must humbly submit ourselves before God's throne. When we continually keep the vision in our minds of Jesus walking in all His grandeur in His rightful place as King of the universe, then every act of ministry will truly be done to God's glory!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcement:

Good news!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 22 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 20, 2014
Free...Free...Free, Part 3
By Answers2Prayer 
Continuing with our series on all those areas of life, where Christians are expected to give 'Free service,' today let's focus on two more of them:

Remission

"...forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Col 3:13)

The key operative word in the above-captioned Scripture is as. Without demanding any monetary compensation the Lord forgave us of our sins, the moment we trusted Him for our salvation and keeps forgiving us whenever we slip in our spiritual journey provided every single time we sincerely repent (1 John 1:9) of our wrongdoing. Then is it demanding too much, when He requires of us to do likewise, with those who may have hurt us physically or emotionally. In fact, when we harbor a grudge (Heb 12:15) besides doing a mighty disservice to our spiritual health (can you retain the joy of the Holy Spirit in your heart when you are yearning for revenge), we would be fiddling with our physical health too what with our hypertension and sugar levels going haywire. Add to these, some digestion problems and the pertinent question arises...is it really worth nursing resentment? As some wise soul put it, "Harboring resentment is like drinking poison and expecting your enemy to die."

Then what about habitual offenders, one may well argue, would they not end up exploiting us? Take heed of this Scriptural instruction, "Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone. Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, 'I will take revenge; I will pay them back,' says the LORD" (Rom 12:17-19).

Intercession

"As for me, I will certainly not sin against the LORD by ending my prayers for you..." (I Sam 12:23)

With the appointment of King Saul as the First King of Israel, even as obscurity loomed large in front of that faithful old Prophet Samuel after being "in thick of things" for many decades, he resolves to intercede for the very ones who were inclined indignantly to replace him with 'their choice.' So seriously did this ageing Prophet view his intercessory prayer ministry that for him to call it quits would tantamount to sin.

Our High Priest Lord Jesus intercedes for us free of cost at God's right hand (Romans 8:34). In fact, it is binding on all Christians to pray for one another (James 5:16). I remember a cult group about 20 years back seeking Rs10,000/- for prayers on behalf of a seriously sick kidney patient from his desperate, gullible albeit rich parents and Rs50,000/- for "special prayers," as though to suggest that Rs10,000/- prayer would go only up to Heaven's gates and the Rs50,000/- one would go right up to the Almighty's throne. Talk of heights of hypocrisy... 

An intercessory prayer ministry, unlike say preaching or singing ministries, does not require any special talents. All one needs to be effective in it is to have love for the Lord and for the person, who is in need!

Prayer: Father, give me a heart to forgive my offenders and intercede for all those in need passionately. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An Unworthy Servant
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:

Is there a particular subject or series you would like to see featured in the Nugget? If so, please let me know by emailing me by clicking here!  
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 19 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 18, 2014
Something in the Water
By Answers2Prayer 

"If you knew the gift of God...you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." (John 4:10)

Large clumps of fuschia colored flowers are planted in the round clay pots on our back deck. They are hardy, as well as butterfly attractors. Yesterday afternoon I was in the yard and noticed all the brown leaves on them. "It looks as if they're dying," I thought. "What in the world?!"

An instant replay ran in my mind, the kids making dirt pies and flower soup over in that area. And oh yes, helping Grandma water the plants! That means taking bucketsful of pool water and dumping them on the impatiens. 

For a time, the plants flourished. Apparently, however, there is something in the water that doesn't agree with them, perhaps the chlorine. And it got 'em.

Living water; we all need it. If you're drinking some other kind, it will eventually getcha. And the 'something' in living water is available for free. To anyone, anytime. 
That's good news.

Inspirational Messages, Sally I. Kennedy 2013 
Announcement:

What is your spiritual identification? Join us on Thursdays for Your ID Please, a Mini-Series by Brother Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 15, 2014
When the Devil Strikes...

By Answers2Prayer 

Have you noticed that the devil tends to always strike when we're on a spiritual high? 

I have seen it so many times. Take the wonderful people who volunteer for ministry, for example. So many sign on, only to drop out a few days/weeks/months later, because everything seems to have blown up in their lives. 

I, myself, not so long ago, received a wonderful answer to prayer. After surgery for breast cancer, I learned that I would not need chemotherapy or radiation therapy! I felt so close to God, and my quiet time with Him the day after left me feeling so close to Him, so loved! Not 20 minutes later, I had slipped so far from God that I could barely remember the miracle...

In case you feel that the devil's tactic of hitting us when we're on a spiritual high is a dirty trick, just remember that the devil did the same thing to the King of the Universe: "Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry." (Luke 4:1-2, NIV2). 

The setting was the Jordan River. Jesus had just been baptized with water by his cousin, John (See Matt 3:13-14), and as soon as Jesus was baptized, "...heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.'" (Matt 3:16-17, NIV2) 

So Jesus has just received God's Spirit, and He's just hearing God's voice from Heaven affirming Him, affirming His mission, and affirming that God is very pleased with Him. And what happens next? He is led into the wilderness where we are told that the devil tempted Him for 40 days (See Matt. 4:1-11, Mark 1:12-13, Luke 4:1-12)! 

And we think that the badgering we get for an hour or two is bad! Friends, the next time we are tempted to complain about a "bad" day, let's remember that Jesus withstood 40 "bad" days! And that, without food! 

Although we are told that Jesus was tempted for 40 days, the only record we have of the exact temptations comes at the end of this time. Let's remember that during all of this time without food, the devil has been "playing" Him: "...being tempted for forty days by the devil. And in those days He ate nothing, and afterward, when they had ended, He was hungry." (Luke 4:2, NKJV). But the devil waits until Jesus is at His weakest to come in with the three killer temptations (See Luke 4:3-11)!

Yes, that's how the devil plays the game, friends. He doesn't play fair! He takes us in a moment of a spiritual high, when we are feeling the closest to God, he then "plays" with us until we are at our weakest, and then he comes in with the killer punches! 

Is it any wonder that so many of us crumble at his tactics?

But Jesus didn't crumble (See Heb. 4:15). 

"I know," you say, "but Jesus is different. He's the Son of God!"

True enough. But Jesus tells us all power that is His is now ours. This includes the power to say "no" to even the worst temptations of the devil. Consider this text: "Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you..." (Luke 10:19, NKJV)!

So why does Jesus stand firm while we all crumble? Consider the following reasons: 

1. When we are feeling close to God, our tendency is to think that we are invincible. The difference is that Jesus knew He wasn't. He knew that if He listened, even for a moment, to the lies of His archenemy, He would fail. So He didn't listen. He kept His heart rooted in Truth. 

2. We often allow the devil's lies to distract us (It's my right to be angry! What she did to me is inexcusable!). But Jesus didn't let Himself get distracted. Yes, He was hungry, and yes, the devil's first temptation hit Him where He was weak (See Luke 4:3). But Jesus didn't let His mind slip to His physical need. Instead, He stayed focused on God: "Jesus answered, '...Man shall not live on bread alone. But by every word of God.'" (Luke 4:4, NIV2)! 

3. Finally, when we are "under the devil's microscope" so to speak, we often feel that we are helpless. Like we have no offensive weapon to parry with. But Jesus knew differently, and like a master swordsman, He deflected each of the devil's blows. His weapon? The same One that is available to each of us: The Sword of the Spirit--The Word of God (see Heb. 4:12)! 

What lessons can we learn?

1. Let's be wary of the tricks of the devil. When we are on a spiritual high, let's be aware that we will be attacked! 

2. Let's not allow ourselves to get distracted by our needs or the needs of others around us. Instead, let's stay focused on God, the giver of all strength!

3. Let's strike back against the devil's blows with the unerring Word of God!

And when we do, we will learn that we can resist the devil, even when we are at our weakest. 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
NO MORE EMAIL ADDRESSES

To protect against SPAM, some Nugget writers have asked to no longer have their email addresses published in The Nugget. Should you wish to contact the author of a particular devotional directly, and the email address is not included, please send your email here, and it will be forwarded directly to the author. If you have any questions, please contact Lyn by clicking here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 15 Mar 2014, 4:10 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 13, 2014
Free...Free...Free, Part 2
By Answers2Prayer
Continuing with our series, on those areas of Christian life where a Child of God is expected to give 'free service,' let's touch two more areas today...

Instruction

Where the Evangelist's work of winning a soul for the Kingdom ends, the Pastor's work begins of nurturing the "new born" in God's Kingdom. Unlike an evangelist, who is moved by the Lord's Spirit from town to town, a Pastor's call is to be at one place patiently, "taking care of and feeding the Lord's flock" with God's Word (Acts 20:28).

When Peter responded three times to our Lord's question, "Peter, do you love me," with words emanating from the depths of his heart, "Lord, I love you," the Master's response on all three occasions was: "Feed my flock" (John 21:15-17). Peter's love for the Lord was to get reflected in equal measure in his care for the people the Lord: "had purchased by shedding His own blood." No wonder Peter, after many years of serving the Lord, wrote these words to younger pastors (Kindly note the word Elder is synonymous with Pastor):

"And now, a word to you who are elders in the churches. I, too, am an elder and a witness to the sufferings of Christ. And I, too, will share in his glory when he is revealed to the whole world. As a fellow elder, I appeal to you: Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly--not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example." (I Peter 5:2-3)

Now what isthe responsibility of the "Flock" in turn to their exemplary full-time Pastors who lead the flock through life and lip in the "spiritual ecosphere" we know as the Church? Pastors who have not pursued any secular profession and 9 times out of ten may have swapped a lucrative secular one for a serious responsibility in the spiritual realm in full obedience to the Great Shepherd's call? Let the Scripture take over...

"Those who are taught the word of God should provide for their teachers, sharing all good things with them." (Gal 6:6)

"Elders who do their work well should be respected and well paid, especially those who work hard at both preaching and teaching." (1 Tim 5:17)

Of course all these Scripture portions do not give license to the Pastor to go about his ministry expecting a royal treatment. His Ministry, out of love for his Master should be at all times governed by the principle: "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35) without ever forgetting the fact that he has received the anointing to effectively preach or teach freely from the Lord!!! Minus the anointing--the "X factor"--which determines his/her success in preaching or teaching ministry, a Servant of God would be like pen without ink.

Prayer: Father, whatever be our calling in our Ministry, let people observe at all times unbridled devotion for Thee and selfless love for all coming in touch with us. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan,
An unworthy servant,
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:

SUBMISSIONS WELCOMED!

Has God given you a special message? Why not share it with The Nugget and its subscribers? The Nugget welcomes any and all Bible-based devotional submissions under 1000 words. Please include at least one Bible text in your submission, and send it here!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:37 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 11, 2013
Upload, Download

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)

For a not-too-techie type person such as myself, computer lingo can sound like a foreign language. Back when I was beginning to get into computers, it even took awhile to distinguish 'download' and 'upload'! Here's my definition of download: something comes in from somewhere in cyber space that has data. I'm sure that is nowhere near correct, but it helps me differentiate.

Recently I was thinking about how we receive downloads from God all the time, primarily from His Word, the Bible. Then, other persons, media, and circumstances.

That got me thinking about uploads. There are our prayers. And just as the experts say no email is ever really lost or trashed, none of our prayers ever get lost or erased, either. In Revelations 5 we read about a scene in the throne room of God: "Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."

Right now I need some supernatural wisdom. I need the mind of Christ, God's insight and direction. I'm so thankful that I can go to Him, in prayer, and lay everything out before Him, and ask. Ask for what I need at the moment. And I am so thankful that He doesn't shut me out or shut me down. He knows the cries of our hearts; He listens, and He answers. Upload--our prayers; download--from the Lord.

That is good news.

Inspirational Messages,Sally I. Kennedy 2013
Announcement:

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 09 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 8, 2014
God my Rock

By Answers2Prayer 

The caseload of a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) in a rehab hospital is destined to vary. With staffing based on hospital averages, there are always a few rare moments when my fellow SLPs and I actually have time to work on outside projects and community awareness. Most of the time, however, we are running at full-capacity, scrambling to give our clients the services they need. 

Then there are the other times when the caseloads rise to the point that our best combined efforts only barely put band-aids on the SLP needs in our hospital, and this was just one of those times. I was beside myself as yet another stack of referrals came in. I knew I couldn't do justice to all the ones I would be asked to see, and I knew the other SLPs were just as overwhelmed, if not more so, than I! I couldn't help but panic. 

As I drove home that evening, God had a long talk with me about my panic. Then He gave me a powerful message through a song: God my Rock! (Check it out at the following link by clicking here!) 

This quickly became my theme song, and I was literally beaming when I went to work the next day. The song stayed on my lips all day, through a myriad of new referrals and busyness, through all of the guilt of not being able to give my clients as much time as they needed, and I actually left work on time. 

God my Rock!

I went straight to the Toyota dealer after work, to pick up my 11 year-old Echo that had been in for service. Imagine my horror to learn that it would need 2500$ of repairs, mostly to the front axle, to make it save to drive! I must admit that distress once again knocked on my heart's door as I drove home, but praise be to God, He held me together.

God my Rock!

I was only home a few moments when my son left. I didn't even have the chance to tell him to take his dad's car instead of mine, and not ten minutes later, my cell phone rang. It was my son, calling to tell me that he had just chosen the preferable alternative to a head-on collision and had put my car in the ditch. 

Praise God, he wasn't hurt. The other car, who had been driving down the middle of the road, was also untouched, and according to my son, other than the fact that the tire had popped off the wheel, my car was undamaged. 

God my Rock! 

Things at work only got worse that Thursday and Friday, but somehow, between my intern and myself, the critical cases got seen, my clients were all put on their appropriate diet textures, and the paperwork all got done.

God my Rock!

I was, however, looking forward to a stress-less weekend. I figured I deserved it! Then came the call from my dear mother: "I'm so sick!"

I googled her symptoms and was shocked to learn that she could possibly be having a heart attack! I drove straight to the hospital, but it was 11:00 at night before we learned she would stay overnight due to some other tests they wanted to run in the morning. Though in the end it was nothing more than a very bad case of reflux, so much for my stress-less weekend! 

God My Rock!

As I write this, I am amazed to realize that throughout every moment of the bad things that happened this week, God was the ever-present Rock for me to cling to. He saved my son's life. He took care of things at work. He helped me as I stood by my mother. But perhaps the best news is this: My ever-present Rock is always there! No matter what it is I face! And He is your ever-present Rock as well!

"From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe." (Ps. 61:2)

God My Rock!

In His love,
Lyn 

Announcement:

BIBLE STUDYGreat news, our latest Bible Study is finally out. Basking in God's Unfailing Love, An Open Invitation to Experience God Personally To a world gone mad, trying to get to know Jesus may seem foolish. However if you give Him a try, you will desire to get to know Him more and more at the deepest level possible. His relationship with you will be more precious compared to any other human relationships out there. Enjoy getting to know Him.

Come explore it here!  
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:26 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 6, 2014
Free...Free...Free...Part 
By Answers2Prayer

Okay Hyderbadis* (Yours truly included) have something to be proud about, for their "Son of the soil," namely Sathya Nadella, was recently elevated to one of the most enviable posts in the World...CEO of what else...Microsoft. Does Microsoft need an introduction...the fact that some of you are reading this piece using one of the Microsoft products says something about this Multinational giant in the Corporate World.

Hmmm...his annual pay package? A staggering 112 Crore Rupees (in Indian currency)! More than the annual Defence budget of Island country of Mauritius! Considering the unquantifiable pressures which come visiting along with the responsibilities of being a CEO of such a high-profile company...our Cricket-loving Sathya would doubtless be fully deserving of such a handsome compensation. 

That brings us to an equally staggering command to every Christian from his incomparable Master: "Freely ye have received, freely give." (Matt 10:8). Boy, now what are the areas of Christian life and ministry, where free service is expected of a Christian? In this series of four parts, I want to highlight five such areas. Here goes...

Invitation

"What then is my pay? It is the opportunity to preach the Good News without charging anyone. That’s why I never demand my rights when I preach the Good News." (I Cor 9:18)

Raise your hands, those who were saved from the deadly clutches of sin by our Saviour Jesus Christ for a fee. Now no hands would go up, for all of us got our indescribable gift Jesus (2 Cor 9:15) into our lives and along with Him the priceless Salvation free, by just inviting Him into our lives with perhaps at best folded hands and bent knees. When we repented, just as He promised the Kingdom of God which was very near us (Matt 4:17) came into our hearts. So much so, from that moment frozen in our personal and Heaven's history, "Righteousness, peace and joy of the Holy Spirit" flooded our hearts (Romans 14:17). So what is our response...rather what ought to be our response to this free gift of salvation...share the Good News with everyone we meet what we have experienced ourselves, so that those of them who never had a foretaste of Heaven right here on Earth, would enjoy the same by inviting Jesus into their hearts. Hey, Jesus did not want all of His followers to be preachers but witnesses.

Yes, there is a responsibility placed on those who receive the Gospel (I Cor 9:14) of: "taking good care of those who brought them the Good News" but those who are in the God-given Ministry (read evangelism) of inviting people into God's Kingdom, ought to go about their Divinely-ordained task without expecting anything in return in conformity with Apostle Paul's (read Scriptural) stand on this subject.

Prayer: Father, give us a loving heart at all times to passionately share the Gospel with all those outside Thy family, with no strings attached. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant, 
J and SM Ministries

*Hyderabad is the capital of the State of Andhra Pradesh in India
Announcement:

POEMS!
Do you appreciate poetry? Why not check out the Poem page on Scriptural Nuggets? Just go to the Scriptural Nuggets home page and check out the new poems that are published each week!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:03 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 4, 2014
Sweet Savor

By Answers2Prayer

In the beginning of the book of Leviticus there are instructions for sacrifices. At the end of all of these is a phrase similar to the following:

"But his inwards and his legs shall he wash in water: and the priest shall burn all on the altar, to be a burnt sacrifice, an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD." (Leviticus 1:9 KJV)

What is this sweet savor or sweet aroma? We are not talking about the smell of steaks grilling in a barbecue. These were burnt sacrifices. That would not have a very pleasing smell, would it? So what is the sweet savor mentioned all these times? It is obedience.

We see later in the same book what happened because of obedience and disobedience:

"Then Aaron lifted his hands toward the people and blessed them. When he had finished offering the sin offering, the burnt offering, and the fellowship offering, he stepped down from the altar.  Moses and Aaron went into the Meeting Tent. Then they came out and blessed the people, and the Lord's glory came to all the people. Fire came out from the Lord and burned up the burnt offering and fat on the altar. When the people saw this, they shouted with joy and bowed facedown on the ground.  Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their pans for burning incense, put fire in them, and added incense; but they did not use the special fire Moses had commanded them to use in the presence of the Lord.  So fire came down from the Lord and destroyed Nadab and Abihu, and they died in front of the Lord.  Then Moses said to Aaron, 'This is what the Lord was speaking about when he said, "I must be respected as holy by those who come near me; before all the people I must be given honor."' So Aaron did not say anything about the death of his sons." (Leviticus 9:22-10:3 NCV)

After all the sacrifices had been made just as God had commanded, His glory came down and shone on all the people. Then His fire came down and burnt up what was on the altar.

We don't know why Nadab and Abihu didn't follow God's commands that Moses gave them. They didn't and had to pay the consequences of being struck dead on the spot. God is holy and expects to be honored by His people by their obedience.

Jesus Christ paid the supreme sacrifice on the cross and there will be no more animal sacrifices needed. All you must do is surrender your life to Jesus Christ. If you belong to Jesus Christ, you are under grace and not the law. We can repent and receive forgiveness for our sins. But God still wants our obedience. We don't have to worry about whether we are following the letter of the law as found in the Bible but the Holy Spirit empowers us and the love of Jesus Christ compels us to be obedient.

God still wants us to treat Him as holy. He always has been and always will be holy but in this day and time it seems like we have gotten away from that aspect of God. Do you treat Him as holy? Is there anything you do that does not bring honor to Him? Is there anything that you do that brings honor to yourself when it should bring the honor to God? May your life be a sweet savor to God

By Dean W. Masters

Owner of the Master's List.

Announcement:

FAITH SERIES
Does your faith need a boost? Why not "boost" it with a series of studies on the Faith chapter, Hebrews 11? Simply click here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:53 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
March 1, 2014
Prepare the Way for Easter, Part 3: Lent Address, 2014
By Answers2Prayer
Last week, in Preparing the way for Easter, Part 2, we saw that one part of preparing the way of the Lord is to be so totally committed to God that we will freely confess Him before men, no matter what the possible consequences. But there is more: "Make straight in the desert A highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted And every mountain and hill brought low; The crooked places shall be made straight And the rough places smooth..." (Isa 40:3-4, NKJV).

How do we go about making straight paths in the desert?

It is by our free confession, friends!

Let's remember that a "confession" is far more than words. We can say we confess Jesus, but if our actions do not show it, then our words are empty and meaningless. Remember the words of Jesus' brother James? "I can already hear one of you agreeing by saying, 'Sounds good. You take care of the faith department, I'll handle the works department.' Not so fast. You can no more show me your works apart from your faith than I can show you my faith apart from my works. Faith and works, works and faith, fit together hand in glove." (Jas 2:18, MSG)

Though our works will never save us ("For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Eph 2:8-9, NKJV), they will be the fruit of our faith. When we truly confess Jesus as our Lord and Savior, when we put Him as number one in our lives, our lives will be a living testimony of that union. We won't have to think about doing good works. They will just happen!

Let's look to Jesus, our ultimate example for everything: "The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me, to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD." (Luke 4:18 NKJV)

In these words of our Lord and Savior we see exactly what kinds of fruit will be a living testimony of our faith-union with Christ: We must go to the "poor", heal the brokenhearted, pray for the sick, and help those who don't know God to find Him!

This Truth is confirmed by Jesus' later words: "When the Son of Man comes in His glory... He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'" (Matt 25:31-36, NKJV)

In other words, the difference between the "sheep" and the "goats" is feeding the hungry, giving clothing to the naked and the cold, visiting those in prison, and healing the sick!

But notice that those designated "sheep" were not even aware that these things were being done in order to ensure they made it to Heaven: "Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You...?" (Matt 25:37-39)

These "sheep" have their focus so much on God and Him alone that their "confession" of Jesus Christ isn't something they "do," it's something they live! It is the fruit of their changed lives! It is who they have become!

And in confessing Jesus through our actions as well as our words, we will make straight paths before their feet! We will bring down mountains before them! We will exalt every valley! We will make the rough places smooth... We will prepare the way of the Lord!

What about it, friends? As we prepare for this upcoming Easter season, will you join me in resolving to put our focus on "preparing the way of the Lord?" Will you resolve with me to put God first and foremost in everything? Because when we do, the fruit of our relationship with Him will be that we "confess" Him before men in our actions, and it will be so natural to us that we won't even realize we're doing it!

This is the conclusion of this series. If you have missed any of this series, you can access it online by clicking here, Or you can email me, and I will send them to you. May God bless you abundantly this Lenten season as you prepare the way for Easter!
In His love,
Lyn
Announcement:

Welcome to all new Nugget subscribers!
We hope and pray that you will find this newsletter a blessing to you and to your families. God bless each of you as you strive to draw closer to Him!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 28 Feb 2014, 5:55 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 27, 2014
Going First Class
By Answers2Prayer 
Dwight L. Moody's favorite verse was Isaiah 12:2: "I will trust, and not be afraid." He used to say: "You can travel first-class or second-class to heaven. Second class is, 'What time I am afraid, I will trust.' First class is, 'I will trust, and not be afraid.'" That is the better way. Why not buy a first-class ticket? (Ps 56:3).

The Psalmist David had gone first class as we read in the most familiar psalm:  "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4 NASB95)

He knew that we would all have to go through valleys in this life, the last one being the valley of the shadow of death. We can find many in the bible that had to go through their valleys. Elijah had one of the greatest miracles then suffered depression. The apostle Paul suffered many things. He went hungry, suffered beatings and imprisonment plus other things but went through it all to bring others to Jesus Christ.

We are not all promised riches. Some of the people in the Bible were rich but not that many. Kings David and Solomon had their riches but they had their valleys also. Jesus did not have a home to call His own. Peter and John did not have any money to give the beggar but they were richer than most people there in other ways. They healed the lame man.

Job lost all that he had but still trusted God with his life. Habakkuk says something similar to what Job said: "Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation. The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He will make me as surefooted as a deer and bring me safely over the mountains." (Habakkuk 3:17-19 NLT)

Put all your trust in the Lord God Almighty and do not fear. You may be going through a valley but there is a mountaintop waiting for you. Go first class!

By Dean W. Masters
Owner of the Master's List.
Unedited redistribution approved. 
 Announcement:
POEM SUBMISSIONS
Just a reminder that we accept submissions for poems of Christian content to be published on Scriptural Nuggets. If you have a poem you would like to see published on Scriptural Nuggets, please submit it here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 25, 2014
The Church of the Future

My boys just left for church, two hours early, and they were at church until after 10:00 last night. The reason? They were practicing for this morning's worship service. 

I am delighted. Not by the extra practice necessarily, but simply by the fact that their youth band is being given the opportunity to play. Then I learned the reason behind all of the extra practice... 

"Mom, the youth worship team will be judged a lot harsher than the regular worship team! We have to have everything perfect!"

Don't get me wrong, I always encourage my kids to do their best, but wasn't there something wrong with this reasoning? Why should the youth be judged more harshly by the church at large than the adults? 

"If the regular worship team makes a mistake, no one will notice," they explained. "But if the youth worship team makes a mistake, we will be sure to hear about it!"

A little later, after sending one son back upstairs to change his shirt and lecturing the other son about wearing jeans to church, I asked them what songs they would be doing. 

"Well, we're not doing most of the songs we would normally do for youth," they explained. "They would be considered too 'youthy.' And we're going to do a hymn at the end, to endear the audience to the youth!"

Hum. Well, I'm the first to not necessarily enjoy the music of today's youth. I'm kind of partial to the old hymns, and I understand that the older people might not want to listen to the youth's music for the entire worship service. It wasn't until the boys had left for early morning practice, however, that the entire thing began to work on me: the youth of today are, after all, the "church of the future!" Discouraging the youth, criticizing them for their choice of music and dress and trying to make them conform to adult standards will only drive them away from the church. If we don't encourage our young people, they won't stay. There won't be a church of the future! 

Wait. Do we want the church of the future to have such different tastes in music and dress? Are we allowing a "degradation" to happen? Will the next generation be a weaker church because our youth are not carbon copies of us?

When I was a youth, my parents didn't approve of the music of my day either. Nor did they approve of our dress. If they were perfectly honest with themselves, they would likely admit that their parents didn't approve of their music or style of life either. Could this be why church attendance is on the decline? Why so many churches are only attended by those in the senior category? 

Besides, what is far more important than what style of music you play or whether or not you make a mistake is your relationship with God! 

No, I can't say as I necessarily "prefer" the music my boys listen to, and yes, I did lecture them on the way they were dressed, just this very morning. But I can tell you one thing: Many of the youth at our church have a strong relationship with God, and this will take them a lot farther then making them conform to our standards! 

So what do we do? 

We encourage our youth. We accept them for who they are. We listen to them and love them unconditionally. Music, hairstyles, dress and all. It is by our own examples that we can show them what it is like to have a close relationship with God, and in so doing, we are ensuring not only that there will be a church of the future, but also that it will be stronger than the church of today!

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." (3 John 4 NKJV)

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Easter?  Already?  Haven't we only just finished with Christmas?

True enough, but it is already the season of Lent, and Easter will be upon us before we know it.  Are we ready?  And if we aren't, how can we get ready?  

Join us on Saturdays for "Preparing for Easter: Lent Address 2014!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:21 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 22, 2014
Prepare the Way for Easter, Part 2: Lent Address, 2014
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
Last week we discovered that perhaps the most important thing we can do as we prepare for the Easter season this year is to think about how to prepare the way of the Lord. We must follow in the footsteps of John the Baptists. 

But just how does one "prepare the way of the Lord"? 

Perhaps the best thing to do is to look to Jesus' example: "that you should follow in His steps" (1 Peter 2:21b NIV2)!

Jesus went about winning the hearts of the people by showing them pure, unadulterated, selfless love! Love that exchanged the riches of heaven for the suffering of the cross!

This doesn't necessarily mean that we must all "go to the cross". Rather we are told to take up our crosses: "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me." (Matt 10:38 NKJV). This expression means that we must be as totally devoted to God as Jesus was. So totally devoted that whatever path God lies before us, we will take it without question. Even if that path leads to death. 

But Jesus doesn't leave us with just a vague notion of what "take up cross" means. He goes on to expound: 

"Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven." (Matt 10:32 NKJV)

And Jesus knew how difficult it might be to confess this might be to confess Jesus before men. He knew that confessing Him might subject us to ridicule, rejection, expulsion, persecution and even death. This is why He tells us in the very next verse: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword..." (vs 34). 

This doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, however. Jesus tells us that those who fail to confess Him before men will also be denied before God: "I will also deny before My Father who is in Heaven." (Vs. 33). 

Jesus is serious about this, friends! 

But there is more: "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me." (Vs. 37). 

This shows us that carrying our crosses means we must put God above our families, jobs, lifestyles, securities, even our happiness. We must put God above everything! 

But didn't Jesus say He came to bring life and to bring it more abundantly? 

Absolutely! "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:10, NKJV). Abundant life doesn't mean we'll always have peace and happiness or that all of our desires will be fulfilled, for Jesus tells us: "He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matt 10:38-39, NKJV) This means that whatever happens to us, good or bad by earthly standards, true living comes from living in Jesus! 

But what does this have to do with "preparing the way of the Lord"? 

It is the first step. We cannot hope to "prepare the way of the Lord" without confessing Him before men! This may sound hard, but it is only hard for the heart that is not fully devoted to God!

Friends, I would like to propose that the times when we find that it is hard to confess Jesus before men are the times when we've placed our families, our jobs, our own forms of happiness at a higher level of importance than God! For the heart that is truly devoted to God, confession of Jesus before men will not be something we even have to push ourselves to do. It will be a simple fruit of that relationship with God! 

Join us next week for the third and last part of Preparing the Way for Easter: Showing His Love.

In His love,
Lyn
Announcement:

Good news!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:46 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
April 22, 2014
True Treasure
By Answers2Prayer 

My daughter saw a colorful rainbow the other day after a thunderstorm. She called to me to look out the window and see it as well. Looking at it I was amazed at how its beauty could still uplift my middle-aged heart. As I gazed upon it, I also remembered one of the very first times I ever saw a rainbow as a boy.

I had been sitting in the house for an hour waiting impatiently for the rain to stop so I could go out and play. It had been pounding on the roof incessantly and I thought it would never end. When it finally did stop I raced outside and was greeted with the glorious sight of a rainbow curving across the sky. I had just recently heard the old legend of leprechauns hiding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Excited, I looked to where the rainbow seemed to be touching the ground in the far distance. I started to quickly run down the railroad tracks near our house in search of that elusive treasure. The quicker I ran, though, the more the rainbow began to fade. 

Finally, I found myself running as fast as I possibly could, but it was too late. By the time I got there the rainbow and its pot of gold were gone.

Sadly that wasnt the last time I found myself chasing after false treasure. Over the years I ran after fame, success, money, and even relationships that I thought would bring me the happiness I always wanted. None of them did, however. It took me a long time to find the true treasure that doesnt rust, break, fade, or flee. That treasure is the love of God and it is free to all. I welcomed this treasure into my heart, soul, and life and shared it with others as well. The funny thing too was that the more love I gave away, the more love I had within me.

God loves you so much. He is forever ready to light up your life with the rainbow of His love. Accept His treasure with joy, share it with everyone, and grow richer everyday.

"All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Him." (Col 2:3, HCSB)

Joe Mazzella 
Announcement:

Easter?  Already?  Haven't we only just finished with Christmas?

True enough, but it is already the season of Lent, and Easter will be upon us before we know it.  Are we ready?  And if we aren't, how can we get ready?  

Join us on Saturdays for "Preparing for Easter: Lent Address 2014!"
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 19 Feb 2014, 5:20 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
February 18, 2014
Back to the Basics, Part 3
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
In this Series, "Back to the Basics," in its concluding part, let's reflect on other reasons on what makes Christian salvation truly great...

Abundant Life... 

As soon as we receive Jesus as our Saviour, the Redeemer sends Holy Spirit the comforter into our hearts who brings with Him the fruit: "Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" (Gal 5:22-23) virtually giving a Christian a foretaste of Heaven right here on Earth. That is why one wise soul put it this way "Christianity is not only about taking a person to Heaven but also about bringing Heaven into that person." No wonder the Master said, "I have come to give life ABUNDANT." (John 10:10). 

Indescribable Privileges... 

A sensitive question here please, to the married ladies especially: Does any bride invite herself to a marriage? No!!!  Read Rev 19:9. Who are the "blessed ones" invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb (the Bridegroom Jesus) in which we know the Bride is the Church comprising of all born-again Christians?  Certainly the invitees are not the Christians, who, as the bride need not be invited to their own marriage. Doubtless the "Blessed ones" are the Old Testament heroes of faith described as the Cloud of witnesses in Heb 12:1. 

Now some of us may have attended VIP weddings where the Chief Ministers, Governors and sometimes even the Prime Ministers and the Presidents may have participated, but the moot point is while a wedding can take place without VIPS and VVIPS, can any marriage take place without the bride?  What a privilege it is to be called the bride of Christ. There is nothing quite like it. No wonder the Saviour says, "of all men ever born, none shines more brightly than John the Baptist, yet the least in the Kingdom, would be greater than he." (Luke 7:28). 

Besides being the Bride of Christ, if in the Old Testament dispensation the great Saints built the temple for God, then in this era of grace, we are the temple of God (1 Cor 3:16). Needless to say, with the privileges comes the responsibility of high calling...Living a life fully consecrated to Christ...Trying to please Him in everything (2 Cor 5:9). Meanwhile, with one accord shall we (all who have believed and confessed publicly the Gospel), along with this unprofitable servant (Yours truly – Luke 17:10) mouth a loud Hallelujah with a thankful heart to the only one Who has given us so great a Salvation!

Prayer: Father, we thank you for giving us the Abundant life and the present and future great privileges in Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour. Accept our praises in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries
Announcement:
Good news!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next