World Wide Christians Partner with Jesus' Place/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 115 on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:20 pm
Latest topics
» JIHAD WATCH
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:01 pm by Admin

» R.D SOUZA Saved by faith
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:26 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:24 pm by Admin

» Daily Disciples
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:19 pm by Admin

» BIBLE STUDY on VERSE
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:16 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL VIDEO'S VARIOUS COVERAGES
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:07 pm by Admin

» ENDTIME HEADLINES
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 7:47 pm by Admin

» servant @ TWO LISTENERS
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 7:40 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 1:49 pm by Admin

» Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Oct 2020, 8:52 pm by Admin

»  So You Think You Can Lose It?
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Oct 2020, 8:27 pm by Admin

» AISH
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Oct 2020, 8:20 pm by Admin

»  BRITAIN NEWS AND ALERT's
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Oct 2020, 8:15 pm by Admin

» Joe Biden Smoking Gun
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Oct 2020, 8:09 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Oct 2020, 5:44 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Oct 2020, 9:31 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Oct 2020, 9:20 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Oct 2020, 9:18 pm by Admin

» +Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Oct 2020, 9:15 pm by Admin

»  Chip Brogden CHURCH WITHOUT WALLS
+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Oct 2020, 3:48 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

+Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor  - Page 2 Empty Re: +Dev+ Michael D. Inman Pastor

Post  Admin on Mon 06 Jul 2020, 11:42 pm

July 6

Today's Reading: Job 32; Acts 14

Today's Thoughts: Follow Me

After these things He went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, "Follow Me." So he left all, rose up, and followed Him. Then Levi gave Him a great feast in his own house. And there were a great number of tax collectors and others who sat down with them. Luke 5:27-29

A tax collector was not an honorable position during Jesus' time. Tax collectors were known for their shrewd and fraudulent ways. This passage says that Jesus went out and saw a tax collector named Levi. Jesus obviously got his attention as He commissioned Levi to follow Him. It is amazing that the passage says that Levi left all, rose up and followed Him. There is a sense that Levi had immediate action with little thought. He seemed to abandon all for the call of Christ. Think of what it took to go from a tax collector with a negative reputation, to a disciple of Jesus Christ. Questions come to mind such as, "How did Levi do that? Did he just quit his job, sell his house or what? Where did He follow Jesus to?"  Levi's next steps are right there in the next verse. Verse 29 says that Levi followed Jesus to "his own house." Levi brought Jesus to his own home, so, Levi followed Jesus back home.

The first step to being Jesus' disciple is by becoming His follower at home. Not only does Jesus meet us right where we are, but also Jesus becomes part of where we are. When we come to know Him and follow Him, Jesus leads us back to our own homes. Home is our training ground. It is in our homes that we first speak out about Jesus, so the change in our lives needs to become evident at home first. 

Jesus saw Levi and Jesus sees you. Jesus called Levi and Jesus is calling you. Are you willing to answer His call? Are you following Jesus in your home? Levi gave Jesus a great feast. There was preparation and planning for this party as he made a public profession that he was following Jesus' ways, starting immediately. For you today, it may be that you stop watching certain shows or stop saying certain words. It also will mean that you start sharing your faith with your family.  Levi is an example of someone with the kind of commitment it takes to follow Jesus. Levi became one of the twelve apostles whose name was changed to Matthew. He was the man who wrote the Book of Matthew, leading many others to follow Christ just like he did.

Our mission is to evangelize the lost and awaken the saved to live empowered lives by the Work of God and His Holy Spirit. Daily Disciples Ministries makes a difference for the kingdom of God by teaching and training believers how to be in God's Word, how to pray and how to walk with Jesus every day, as His daily disciple.

Daily Disciples Ministries, Inc.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://worldwidechristians.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 03 Jul 2020, 2:38 pm

Date: July 3, 2020 at 12:37 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  Walking Partner

Walking Partner

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you,. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:2   

Scripture Focus: Daniel 13

I always considered my world and the world my wife and I introduced to our two children to be full of interesting people, places, and things to do. It was an expansive world. But extreme suffering can make that world grow small. At times those of us in the midst of pain even feel entirely alone. Ever since I broke my back which took most of my lower left leg and parts of my right lower leg, my world has shrunk. However, as God promised in Isaiah, and as my family and I have experienced, He will be with us when (not if) we walk through the fire of suffering. 

Just as God walked with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace (Daniel 13:25), He does not leave us alone in our misery (Hebrews 13:5). Just as a good friend walks with you and is at your side in times of deep despair, so does the Lord walk with His people. And He never leaves! Tim Keller explains the importance of God's presence with us as we go through the trials of life: "Suffering can refine us rather than destroy us because God Himself walks with us in the fire" (2013).

Insight: Thank you, Lord, for walking with us in the fire. Thank you that nothing in this wide world can separate us from your love.

If you have prayer requests for anything please email us and we will pray for them.#
Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

We are in need of Prayer and financial partners,
If you would like to become a prayer partner and or a financial partner with monthly or one time gifts.
A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:    http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 02 Jul 2020, 6:59 pm

Date: July 2, 2020 at 1:32 AM CDT

Rejoice Now?

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds." James 1:2   

Scripture Focus: James 1:2-12

We all come into this world with the reality that we'll face suffering in some way and to some degree. Not one of us is immune to it. Trials will range from the inconveniences of everyday life to the catastrophic, earth-shattering upheavals. In the middle of suffering, it seems impossible to consider it "pure joy." My initial response to difficulties is to wallow in self-pity, thinking, "Nobody knows how tough this has been for me," and "It's not fair that this had to happen to me." 

But God really does call us to joy in those times (1 Peter 4:13, Romans 5:3, 2 Corinthians 12:10, Romans 12:10). It's not a call to a superficial faith which is only an inch deep. Nor is it a call to pretend that suffering does not exist. I can testify that neither approach brings much joy. Rather, it is a call to an unshakable joy that is based, as John Piper describes, on "the thousand-mile deep rock of God's Word." Because of what God has done through Jesus' death and resurrection, we stand firm-even joyful-on God's Word and promises.

Insight: Lord, in my suffering, please move me away from self-pity and give me unshakable joy for your glory.

If you have prayer requests for anything please email us and we will pray for them.

Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

If you would like to become a prayer partner and or a financial partner with monthly or one time gifts.
A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:    http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 01 Jul 2020, 7:02 pm

Date: July 1, 2020 at 1:25 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  What Did You Expect?

What Did You Expect?

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps." 1 Peter 2:21   

Scripture Focus: 1 Peter 4:12-19

Though the Bible is clear that followers of Jesus will suffer, we often feel shocked and dismayed to learn of hardships and trouble that befall Christians. Those who preach the prosperity "gospel" see things differently. One popular televangelist says, "There is a belief that you're supposed to be poor and suffering and show humility. I just don't see the Bible that way." This type of teaching wrongly divides everything into two separate and distinct categories-either you receive a blessing from God, or you suffer. 

With this reasoning, those who suffer feel rejected by God and neglect to look for His blessings in the midst of pain. By seeing that suffering is expected for followers of Christ and by trusting God in our most trying times, we can join with the late Paul Brand, missionary surgeon, who said, "I have come to see pain and pleasure come not as opposite, but as Siamese twins, strangely joined and intertwined. 

Nearly all of my moments of acute happiness, in fact, involved some element of pain and struggle."

Insight: Let's say with Paul, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us" (Romans 8:18).

If you have prayer requests for anything please email us and we will pray for them.

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 10:22 pm

Date: June 30, 2020 at 1:38 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  All Part of the Plan

All Part of the Plan

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21   

Scripture Focus: Isaiah 53:2-5

For many of us struggling through the difficulties and hardships of life, questions creep into our minds. They persist even when we try to fight them, especially when our sorrow is overwhelming. We ask, "How do I know that God will work this suffering for good?" and "If God ordained this, what other bad things will be coming?" and "Why did God allow this to happen in the first place?" 

When questions and doubt come, God points us to His salvation plan, which included adversity. Immediately after Adam and Eve sinned, God promised a Savior (Genesis 3:15). Hundreds of years before the Savior was born, God promised that He Himself would suffer (Isaiah 53:5). As Jesus explained to the two on the road to Emmaus, it was necessary for Him, our Savior, to suffer and die (Luke 24:26). Jesus took the punishment for our sins (1 Peter 2:24, Colossians 2:14-15) and gave us His righteousness. 

When we see that our salvation was bought by Jesus' suffering and death, we thank God that undoubtedly He can and does work our agony for good.

Insight: Each step of your life-with its joys and miseries-is all part of the plan of God bringing you closer to Him.

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:20 pm

Date: June 29, 2020 at 2:31 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  Suffering by Design

Suffering by Design

"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made,. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:15, 16  

Scripture Focus: Psalm 139

If I trust that God is in control of the details of a bird's life (Matthew 10:29), I can be assured He knew the details of my life before I was born. Even Satan's influence in our lives is under God's control (Job 1:12). Breaking my back and its constant painful results did not come as a surprise to God. Though still much to my dismay, it was all part of His plan. 

John Piper, writing after a cancer diagnosis, says this: "What God permits, he permits for a reason. And that reason is his design. 

If God foresees molecular developments becoming a cancer, he can stop it or not. If he does not, he has a purpose. Since he is infinitely wise, it is right to call his purpose a design" (2011). As I went through the grinding routine of therapy to try to regain some of what I lost, and as I struggle to know where I now fit in this world, I take comfort knowing what has happened was no surprise to God. Not only is it part of His design for my life, somehow it also is for my good (Romans 8:28). May He get all the glory (Isaiah 42:8)!

Insight: "Deep in unfathomable mines; of never-failing skill; He treasures up His bright designs; and works His sovereign will." (William Cowper, 1774)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 28 Jun 2020, 12:12 am

Date: June 24, 2020 at 1:57 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  In the House of the Lord

In the House of the Lord

"There will be no night there,. Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life." Revelation 21:25, 27  

Scripture Focus: Revelation 21

The house of the Lord! What feeble effort of mine could ever describe it? Even the world's most stunning cathedrals can't compare with the majesty of the house of the Lord. Nothing earthbound can. David could envision himself at journey's end- sling and rod and staff put aside. At last, he would enter the great fold where the walls are high, where 12 gates are secure with an angel at each one. The wall is of jasper; the inside of the city is pure gold. 

The glory of God fills it with crystal clear brilliance, and the Lamb of God Himself is the light! In 1980, I knew an elderly gentleman who was near death in a hospital room near mine at Ft. Bliss Texas. He was fearful of what was ahead. The patient in the bed next to him attempted often to bring the dying one to Jesus. His efforts had failed, until one morning when we met in the patient lounge. In my conversation to another patient that very day was on heaven. As we finished the discussion, the dying gentleman received Christ as his Savior. 

His final words to his roommate were, "Tell my friends I know now that heaven is real, and I am going there!"

Insight: What about you? Can you say with assurance, "I shall dwell in the house of the Lord"?

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 8:28 pm

Date: June 18, 2020 at 12:04 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  Will Follow Me

Will Follow Me

"Surely goodness and love will follow me," Psalm 23:6a   

Scripture Focus: Psalm 18:1-19

The word "pursue" would be a better translation than the word "follow" in the passage above. Often David was being chased down by his enemies. He must have written with great relief about the reality that the greater thing he was pursued by was God's love. How wonderful to be pursued relentlessly by the Shepherd-King who came with goodness and unfailing love! Images may come to mind of the loving, dogged pursuit of one person for another. 

You think of parents coming after their grown child again and again to pull him out of the grip of drug or alcohol addictions; you think of the teacher who keeps pushing the wayward student to do the work; you think of the woman chasing after her friend who is headed down the path of destruction yet another time. Perhaps you have been the one pursing another, or perhaps you were the one being chased down. If you were the latter, you may not have wanted the help at all. 

God knows what is best for you, and He already went to the cross for you to fight off Satan, evil, and death.

Insight: Our heavenly Father does more than just follow us; He has pursued us and saved us!

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 25 May 2020, 12:59 pm

Date: May 25, 2020 at 12:42 AM CDT
Topic: +DEV+  Life Is a Journey
Life Is a Journey

"Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20  

Scripture Focus: Revelation 1

Life is a journey. It begins where you are. It ends where God is. Not one of us knows the distance or the time span between those two points. No one, save the One who gave us life at journey's outset and who promises to be with us along all the winding paths. And didn't Jesus promise to go with us? Almost any earthly journey is easier when someone comes along who knows the way, who will be a traveling companion until you are back home. 

Life's journey can wind in tortuous paths. When Jesus assured His disciples He would be with them always, they had just emerged from the greatest trial of their earthly experience-when Jesus entered the valley called Death. They never expected to see Him again. But there He was, alive and promising them His continued presence even beyond their own lifespans. Death did not interrupt His care of them, and it does not interrupt His care of you either. 

His promises are trustworthy. "I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive forever and ever!" (Revelation 1:18) *This is the entry for October 1, 2018.

Insight: "Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home." (C.S. Lewis, 1940)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 22 May 2020, 9:16 pm

Date: May 22, 2020 at 12:37 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  Singing in Bed

Singing in Bed

"Let the saints rejoice in this honor and sing for joy on their beds." Psalm 149:5  

Scripture Focus: Psalm 149 

Like a stream after a heavy rain, the final chapters in the book of Psalms overflow with praise. Psalm 149 says the godly are rejoicing, dancing, exulting in glory, even singing for joy on their beds! "Why their beds?" you might ask. Well, why not? Wouldn't it be wonderful to be so filled with joy that you couldn't help but sing God's praise, even from your bed? 

The image of such happy people makes me smile. But I know our beds aren't always a place for singing. Sometimes we cry there like David, who said in Psalm 6:6, "I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears." So how do we get from tears of sorrow to songs of praise? There's one way: through faith in Jesus, who endured utter sorrow to give us perfect salvation. Apart from Christ, Martin Luther said, asking for joy is like "telling water to catch fire." But in Christ, "joy will follow of its own accord." 

This happens imperfectly in this life-joy and sorrow are mixed. But in the last, eternal chapter, Jesus will wipe every tear from our eyes.

Insight: "A Christian should be an Alleluia from head to foot." (St. Augustine of Hippo, 354-430 A.D.)

If you have prayer requests for anything please email us and we will pray for them

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 20 May 2020, 12:15 pm

Date: May 20, 2020 at 1:17 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  Naming of Stars
Naming of Stars
"He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name." Psalm 147:4   
Scripture Focus: Psalm 147

Some images in the Psalms are metaphors, comparing things that seem unrelated. Other images are symbolic, representing something else. The image of Psalm 147:4 is simply a statement of truth. The whole psalm, in fact, gives many simple statements about the Lord, each moving us to praise our Almighty Creator God. Probably every kid has tried as I did, unsuccessfully, to number the stars. It just can't be done! 

I also tried when I was about 10 to move the clouds. I remember watching a large cloud moving across the sky. I commanded it to move by the strength of my will alone, but it did not respond to me at all, of course. Eventually it disappeared in the distance. Not so with God. He "stirs up his breezes, and the waters flow" (vs. 18). He "covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills" (vs. 8). He feeds the world. Just as magnificently, God numbers the stars and gives them names. And for all of us who are His, we too are lovingly determined, named, and upheld by Him.#

Insight: Matthew Henry (1662-1714) profoundly described the Word of God as "shallows where a lamb could wade and depths where an elephant could drown."

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 19 May 2020, 11:12 pm

Date: May 19, 2020 at 12:06 AM CDT

Topic: +DEV+  A Still, Quiet Soul

A Still, Quiet Soul

"I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me." Psalm 131:2   

Scripture Focus: Psalm 131

We live in a frantic, demanding world. Our souls are continually stirred up with desire, ambition, and needs- some real, some false, some good, some bad. We spin, run, tumble, fall, push, pull, scroll, and swipe just to get through each day. Though our souls can barely keep up, we often push them on-through the depression, through the guilt, through the constant conflicts with family members, friends, and God. We hope that if we reach hard enough and grab the next best thing, peace will finally settle in. 

But what if peace is not found in moving forward, but by pausing right where you are? What if you stopped reaching for something more, different, or better and simply put your hope in God? If you learned to trust God like a weaned child trusts its mother, you would find peace. Instead of crying, complaining, and groping for Him every time you are hungry, scared, or wet, simply wait on the Lord. We tend to think that peace is found in the things God gives. True peace is found in the God who gives them.

Insight: "May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with you all." (2 Thessalonians 3:16)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 18 May 2020, 9:24 pm

Date: May 18, 2020 at 12:17 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Delight of the Word

Delight of the Word

"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" Psalm 119:103   

Scripture Focus: Psalm 119:97-104

Throughout the Psalms we read that there is delight in knowing God. "Sing praise to his name, for that is pleasant" (135:3). "In your name I will hope, for your name is good" (52:9). "As for God, his way is perfect" (18:30). When we come to Psalm 119, the longest of the psalms, we find many passages that speak of love for and awe of God's Word. In verse 103, God's Word is sweeter than honey in our mouth. 

Loving the Lord and loving His Word go hand in hand. How can it be, then, that often those who claim to love God care very little for His Word? If a man says he is in love with a woman yet treats her love letters as if they were junk mail, would you think his love was real? If we are to love God, we will love His Word. Though our love ebbs and flows, His love remains steadfast. Where our love changes daily, His is from everlasting to everlasting. 

That perfect love reached down when Jesus gave His life for us. This good news of the gospel is the sugar added to the entire Word of God. Taste and see that it is good!

Insight: "Amazing grace! How sweet the sound/ that saved a wretch like me!" (John Newton, 1779)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 14 May 2020, 11:25 pm

The Flood of God

"Your wrath lies heavily upon me; you have overwhelmed me with all your waves." Psalm 88:7  

Scripture Focus: Psalm 88
Heman the Ezrahite wrote Psalm 88. We don't know much about him, but he must have faced significant suffering. "My soul is full of troubles," he says. He counts himself as nearly dead. "I am like a man without strength, like the slain who lie in the grave" (vs. 4-5). Heman's afflictions have a human form-a familiarity to many of us-causing him to question God's doings. "Why, O LORD, do you, hide your face from me?" (vs.14) Wave after wave of heartbreak sweeps over him. 

Can you relate to that feeling of sinking in the crushing, relentless waves of trouble? This psalm is unique because it does not end with a happy resolution. However, there is hope to be found here. Recall how Heman addresses the Lord in the first line: "the God who saves me." Despite his anguish, he knows the only One who can see him through. And God did hear Heman. As Heman writes, it is God who both inspired and recorded his cries. Also, we who are on this side of the cross know from Jesus' death at Calvary that even in the silence, God is saving.

Insight: Let God's waves of mercy flow over you, for "The LORD is near to all who call on him" (Psalm 145:18).

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 13 May 2020, 11:56 pm

Date: May 13, 2020 at 2:29 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Sun and Shield

Sun and Shield

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless." Psalm 84:11   

Scripture Focus: Psalm 84

The psalmist calls God a "sun and shield." These images remind us, as the late Old Testament scholar Derek Kidner put it, that God is "all that is outgoing and positive," and "all that is protective-the answer to fear and defeat." Or, as Charles Spurgeon said, God is "the source of all good" and "a defense from all evil." But when sinners dwell in darkness, we see the sun differently. We shrink from it because it exposes our sin and threatens to burn us. So how can we know God in a way that blesses us like this? 

For us to know God as the beneficent "Father of the heavenly lights," as James calls Him (1:17), He must first "shine in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6b). When the light of Jesus shines and overcomes our heart's darkness, God becomes a pleasant thing to us, a protector instead of a prosecutor. We can look forward to the day when there will be no sun because Jesus Himself will be our everlasting light and glory, banishing darkness forever.

Insight: Christ's glory shines on you, and His protection surrounds you. In what ways do you expect God to be your sun and shield today?

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 12 May 2020, 9:45 pm

Date: May 12, 2020 at 1:13 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Honey from the Rock

Honey from the Rock
"But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you." Psalm 81:16 
Scripture Focus: Psalm 81

God says and does things in the Old Testament to point us ahead to greater things He will do in the future. Sometimes He foreshadows a greater judgment, as He did through Sodom and Gomorrah. Sometimes He foretells a greater salvation, as in the blessings He attached to the land of Canaan. In today's psalm, God's greater salvation is in view. We get a vivid picture of it when He describes the provisions of the land by promising honey from a rock. 

Typically, we know the sweet pleasure of honey when it comes to us by way of a hive full of hardworking bees. But when God promises to satisfy His people with honey from a rock, He is promising, in addition to the blessings of this life, something more-something miraculous, extravagant, and otherworldly. "God brings sweetness out of what is harsh, forbidding, and wholly uncompromising" (Derek Kidner, 1913-2008). Ultimately, we see this when God brings to us the sweet, extravagant, and otherworldly blessing of eternal life from the death of Jesus, the Rock of our salvation.

Insight: Are God's promises sweet to you? "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him" (Psalm 34:8).

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 08 May 2020, 11:13 pm

Date: May 8, 2020 at 1:57 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Get Some Perspective

Get Some Perspective

"But as for me, my foot had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold." Psalm 73:2   

Scripture Focus: Psalm 73

Imagine that you're walking on a sidewalk and texting a friend to arrange lunch plans. Suddenly, you look up and realize that you've headed into a construction zone. With just two more steps, you would have dropped down a manhole! Many of us have had similar experiences with moral danger. We've been walking along like fools in our sin, looking up nearly a moment too late to see God sparing us from ruinous consequences. 

It happened to Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73. He describes how envious he was of the prosperity of the wicked. It seemed they owned every luxury. It seemed they could get away with anything. His jealousy grew; it was as if he was headed into a manhole. But in the sanctuary of God, Asaph gained perspective. He came to see how temporary all that wealth was: "As a dream when one awakes, so when you arise, O Lord, you will despise them as fantasies" (vs. 20). How are we to understand what looks like the Lord's delay in justice? 

As a license to sin? No, it is an opportunity for grace, learned in His presence.

Insight: "Do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" (Romans 2:4)

If you have prayer requests for anything please email us and we will pray for them

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 07 May 2020, 11:05 pm

Date: May 7, 2020 at 1:10 AM

Topic: +DEV+  God, the Desert Rider

God, the Desert Rider

"Sing to God, sing praise to his name, extol him who rides on the clouds-his name is the LORD-and rejoice before him." Psalm 68:4 

Scripture Focus: Psalm 68

Another translation of this Scripture verse says, "Prepare the way for him who rides through the deserts." What a vivid image of our God, especially if you're familiar with desert terrain. The desert presents a danger to all who enter it. Thorny plants, venomous creatures, waterless rivers, and highway robbers can make the desert a difficult place to survive. But where man struggles to survive, God is said to ride with ease. 

When God brought His people out of Egypt and to the Promised Land, He led them through the desert wilderness. Without Him, they would have perished. And many times they complained they would! But they were under God's protection. Deuteronomy 1:31 says of that time, "The LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son." We also are being carried by God, not just through the deserts of this world, but also through the wilderness of sin. In the Son, God comes to us, picks us up out of danger, and transports us all the way to the promised land of heaven. 

For this, let us never stop praising Him.

Insight: Moses sang this of God, the desert rider: "The LORD alone led {Jacob}; no foreign god was with him" (Deuteronomy 32:12).

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 05 May 2020, 11:18 pm

Date: May 5, 2020 at 12:18 AM

Topic: +DEV+  When Things Go Wrong

When Things Go Wrong

"Ephraim is my helmet, Judah my scepter. Moab is my washbasin, upon Edom I toss my sandal; over Philistia I shout in triumph." Psalm 60:7-8  

Scripture Focus: Psalm 60

For a time things were going well for King David. Peace and unity were within his kingdom. When he turned outward to secure his borders, he found success. To the west of Jerusalem, he defeated the Philistines. To the south-east he defeated the Moabites. Then he marched north and won his battles there too

But while David's armies were in the north, the southern kingdom was suddenly attacked by Edom. David's defenses had been breached, and they were hit hard. He says in Psalm 60 they felt like a staggering drunk (vs. 3). So David prays to God for help. He reminds himself that even when things seem to be caving in on earth, God's promises are sure in heaven. The Lord is not disturbed by the schemes of men, though they go so far as to nail Him to a cross. What is Edom to God? God does as He pleases, dividing the world as He sees fit. 

The warring amongst nations, the fears that overtake our world, the terrorism that threatens us, all of these situations do not phase our great and conquering King who triumphs in the end.

Insight: "Our God is an awesome God; He reigns from heaven above; With wisdom, power, and love; Our God is an awesome God." (Rich Mullins, 1988)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 05 May 2020, 11:05 pm

Elaine, don’t be fooled.

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is near. Therefore be of sound mind, self-controlled, and sober in prayer.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

In Israel, it is illegal to use your mobile phone while driving. The law is enforced on major roadways through the use of regularly spaced cameras which monitor drivers and provide the evidence for mailing hefty fines to violators. The purpose, of course, is to prevent horrific accidents caused by drivers who are distracted, being engaged by the increasing options offered by smart phones.

How many options there are to distract us! Even when we're not driving, risking our lives on a device. Yet what are the risks of distraction? We're not speaking of recreation, which is healthy and necessary, but genuine distraction from what's really important.

Distractions, however you identify them in your own life, are dangerous precisely because we lose the awareness of danger. And also because they tend to stupefy, to dull perception, and to turn us from the important and precious priorities of our lives. Distractions are a form of laziness or even sloth (remember those deadly sins?)...

The life of a disciple is a beautiful life because it is disciplined, and increasing in the consciousness of God. Sobriety isn't dull or boring or religious; it's sharp and focused and intentional. Actually, it's more like a race car driver on the Autobahn, who must keep exquisite focus and concentration to enjoy the speed and avoid the dangers...can you imagine a race car driver texting?

Elaine, since we do have a dangerous enemy it’s a good habit to begin each day the right way, set for action, prioritized for real life, undistracted...why take the risk to crash and burn?

Your family in the Lord with much agape love,

George, Baht Rivka, Elianna & Obadiah
Baltimore, Maryland

Editor's Note: Worthy Ministries is happy to announce that after years of labor and prayer to this end, Worthy News and Worthy Devotions are now available for churches and ministries, FREE of charge and FREE of advertising through our new syndication network! If you are interested, please visit Worthy Plugins.

Editor's Note: Be sure to submit any prayer requests you may have to the Worthy Prayer Team!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 04 May 2020, 10:50 pm

Date: May 4, 2020 at 12:48 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Joy in Judgment?

Joy in Judgment?

"The righteous will be glad when they are avenged, when they bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked."  Psalm 58:10

Scripture Focus: Psalm 58

The righteous people of God are sometimes compared to meek creatures like sheep, especially when they are being persecuted by the wicked. Still at other times, the righteous are compared to mighty, conquering warriors. Psalm 58 speaks of God's people as warriors. Life in this world often does take on the feel of a battlefield, doesn't it? 

More and more we look forward to the time when Jesus, "called Faithful and True," returns to "judge and make war" (Revelation 19:11), sending His angel to swing "his sickle across the earth," preparing the wicked for the great "winepress of the wrath of God" (Revelation 14:19). The saints are said to participate in this holy judgment: when the blood of the martyrs is avenged, when evil is defanged, when the safety of the righteous is secured forever. 

Psalm 58 looks forward to that time. And if you belong to Christ, you will hope for it too. The judgment of Christ is real. But so is His mercy. Those who find forgiveness in the blood of the Lamb will be conquerors (Revelation 12:11).

Insight: "The damnation of sinners shall not mar the happiness of saints." (Charles Spurgeon)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 01 May 2020, 1:11 pm

Date: April 30, 2020 at 12:40 AM

Topic: +DEV+   Wings of a Dove

Wings of a Dove

"I said, Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest, far from the tempest and storm."  Psalm 55:6, 8

Scripture Focus: Psalm 55

Imagine you're on a cruise liner and all the guests are getting sick. Or recall when your teacher would announce a pop quiz on a text you had not read. Picture going about your day picking up a few items at the grocery store when someone starts firing a gun. In all of these situations, your immediate thought would be to get out, pronto! 

David is conveying this kind of fear and panic in Psalm 55. He has been betrayed. And as his enemies suddenly press down on him, all he wants is to escape. "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!" he cries. Many are the times each one of us has thought something like that. People like to tell us that there is a way out of any problem if we just try hard enough. But sometimes, there really is no way to escape. It does not mean, however, that you are doomed. Notice how Psalm 55 ends with hope. David knows that God will save those who cast their cares on Him (vs. 22). 

Do you know that, too? The wings God gives us are those of the Holy Spirit. On them we fly out of every battle of this world.

Insight: "If you confess, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)

Michael D. Inman

Date: May 1, 2020 at 12:10 AM

Topic: +DEV+  God Will Not Betray You

God Will Not Betray You

"His speech is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords."  Psalm 55:21

Scripture Focus: Psalm 55

Every once in a while you run across an old photo that makes you feel uneasy. The one-time scrapbook memory is now a picture you'd like to tear in half. Betrayal. It's destabilizing. It throws us off-center. It reminds us that not everything is as certain as we think. Not everyone is who they once said they were. That's what David is describing in Psalm 55 when he discovers that his friend has betrayed him. David remembers when he used to walk among the crowds of the temple with his friend. They would "take sweet counsel together," or so he thought. 

In hindsight he realizes that his friend's words were deceptive, as "smooth as butter." What he once thought was camaraderie, he sees now is war. If it had been an enemy taunting him, he could have borne it. But a friend? In times like this, remember that God is different. His own Son came to live on this earth where one of His good friends would betray Him for 30 pieces of silver. Yet He will never betray you. 

Be assured, as David was, that you can trust in your God.

Insight: "Friends may fail me, foes assail me; He, my Savior, makes me whole." (J. Wilbur Chapman, 1910)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 29 Apr 2020, 12:20 pm

Date: April 29, 2020 at 1:38 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Wash Me

Wash Me

"Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."   Psalm 51:7
Scripture Focus: Psalm 51:7

The first time I saw freshly fallen snow, I was amazed at how everything changed. The world, once marked by litter and dirty cars, had been transformed into shimmering white. But within a few hours, the beauty disappeared. In fact, everything looked worse than before. As the snow melted, the filth that remained under the snow reappeared and was mixed into a wet, slushy grime. Think about this when you sin. David doesn't say, "Hide my sin, and I will be whiter than snow," but "Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." 

To be truly purified, your sin must be expunged, not just covered over. The filth of sin in us is so deep and so widespread that we need a complete cleansing of body and soul. But we can't achieve that ourselves. If we try, we just spread the dirt. Purification and forgiveness must come from God: a baptism of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit. That's why David says to God, "Wash me." And when God washes us, we are cleansed even whiter than the newly fallen snow! 
Repent and believe in Him today.

Insight: "It would be better to be defiled with unclean mud than with sins. A person who is defiled with mud can wash it off." (Chrysostom)
Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 28 Apr 2020, 12:29 pm

Date: April 28, 2020 at 1:27 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Who Is Your Shepherd?

Who Is Your Shepherd?

"Like sheep they are destined for the grave, and death will feed on them."  Psalm 49:14a

Scripture Focus: Psalm 49

In a memorable image from Psalm 49, we see a flock of sheep being led into the underworld, to Sheol, the place of the dead. And it is Death himself who leads these passive animals into the grave. For these sheep, the Grim Reaper's bony hands hold the shepherd's crook. But who are these unfortunate, hopeless sheep? The psalm says they are the kings and princes of this world. They are those-rich and poor alike-who believe they are masters of their own destiny, powerful to save their own souls. 

They all have put their trust in themselves. Psalm 49 pictures their pompous parade for what it is: a death march. Their glory and power will not last. And we dare not join that flock. Instead, follow Jesus whom we know as the Good Shepherd. Instead of leading us to death, He Himself was the lamb silently led to the slaughter (see Isaiah 53:7). Jesus gave His life to ransom His sheep from death. 

When we follow Jesus, we will not walk into our grave. Rather, He will lead us into the green fields and still waters of Heaven.

Insight: "Do you really want to have eyes only for present things, and no more?" (Augustine, 354-430 B.C.)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 27 Apr 2020, 4:30 pm

Date: April 27, 2020 at 1:17 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Excellence of Christ

Excellence of Christ

"All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia."  Psalm 45:8a

Scripture Focus: Psalm 45

I usually can't smell things other people can smell. But sometimes a strong aroma will surprise me. I'll find gardenias blooming nearby, or get a whiff of Turkey cooking in the oven, or-not as nice-I'll pick up the scent of some dog's business under my shoe. Through our sense of smell, we can be warned of a gas leak or be drawn into love. Oh, God's wonderful, odorous world! 

Psalm 45 is all about the sweet smell of love. Here the mysterious marriage of Christ and His church is pictured in vivid and even aromatic detail. Jesus, the bridegroom of the church, is Prince Charming. He stands in an ivory palace, holds a sword at his side, and is clothed with splendor. The sound of music fills the halls. He is "the most excellent of men," and as His bride draws close, she smells His fragrant robes. Do you delight in the beauty of the Lord? 

Are you falling in love with Him? God's gift of faith, like our sense of smell, can be like a spiritual sense (see 1 Corinthians 2:10-16). Through it He charms us and draws us into the grace of Jesus.

Insight: "The excellencies of Jesus are all most precious, comparable to the rarest spices." (Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892)

Michael D. Inman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum: